Speaker 1: Seven thirty fifty five Carsey Detalk Station. Happy Wednesday. It's that time of the week we talk with Americans for Prosperity. Donovan and Eil Donovan, welcome back to the fifty five Kossey Morning Show. My friend, it's always a pleasure having you on.
Speaker 2: Hey, happy to be here with you.
Speaker 1: So, one small step for a man, one giant lea for mankind, it's time for a one small step campaign. Let's talk about this. You've launched this new campaign. What's it all about, Donovan?
Speaker 3: Well, as we say, every giant leap begins with one small step, and we've actually had our one Small Step campaign for a number of months now, but we're sort of kicking it off with renewed vigor and the run up to next year's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the United States, and we've set out a challenge we're launching today that is every AFP chapter, every state in the country, we're gonna be looking to mobilize two hundred and fifty thousand actions, two hundred and fifty thousand small steps if you will, to make a difference in the run up to next July fourth, America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 2: It's a big carry on.
Speaker 3: Dacis School, Brian, but it's one that we think we're well positioned to do and we think can help reignite the American dream for so many folks from coast to coast.
Speaker 1: Well, you point out, and I saw the study myself. It's a sad reality, the reality that the gallop pole showing only fifty eight percent of US adults are proud to be Americans. I mean, I think we've this is an important campaign. I truly embrace what you're doing here because I think we've lost our sense of reality relativity. People don't pay attention to how terrible things are in other countries, so they more fully appreciate the freedoms and liberties that are well quick while quickly eroding, we still enjoy here in America. We've lost sight of something that I think is so truly and fundamentally important. It's like basically embodied in the Bill of Rights.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, and you know we see it a lot, right, you have that we run into that political malaise, right folks would say, well, my voice isn't going to make a difference. Yeah, you know, if I go out and knock that door. Is that really going to have an impact if I even go vote Brian? That gonna does that tip the scales of power in Washington and set things on the right direction. And so we combat that every day. But you know, part of the campaign and our folks who who've developed this and come up with some of the messaging and some of the promotional materials will be rolling.
Speaker 2: Out around this.
Speaker 3: It's got a phenomenal job I think of tapping into that American spirit, and no one better than Neil Armstrong to start with.
Speaker 2: That's who you know why we're launching it this.
Speaker 3: Week is because he coined that phrase, right, one small step for mankind one or one small step from out one giant lea for mankind.
Speaker 2: I pushed it totally, Brian. But the point there is we all know.
Speaker 3: It, and it still you know, it fires up this sense of the American spirit and the folks who say it, who hear it, and that's what we're wanting to tap into with this campaign.
Speaker 1: Actually, I maybe find fault with that one as an analogy because although you know, we the United States of America, did send him into the moon and he did land on the moon, he did jump and walk on the moon. First, there's a major accomplisation that was a large government program funded by taxpayer dollars.
Speaker 3: Thought of it, but it was a lot of Americans who came together.
Speaker 2: You know. I think where we tapped.
Speaker 3: Into that vision is, you know, as a country, right, we united around that idea. And it's hard to kind of point to in recent history some ideas whereas Americans we've just sort of collectively united around them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We find ourselves divided and separated on so many issues. But I think if we can kind of get ourselves together around these and I think we're going to be highlighting some of those different ideas and where where we see these these opportunities for Americans to come together and and sort of reignite those founding principles that our country was started upon two hundred and fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, and I appreciate that one of the things you're going to be doing with this one Small Step campaign is spotlighting American visionaries, inventors, the entrepreneurs that took the challenge and you know, bid off some potent downside risk and got around the challenges they face and created something of really significant value for well, the population generally speaking. You know, inventors, for example, they create something that's wonderful. You know, maybe a vaccine or a cure for something, or you know, somebody created the internet at one point. How transformational was that? But I hope that at some point in the AFP, and I know you're giving your goals and your mission statement, you will be focusing on this. But what drove these people to do that? And I would point out and on the heels of Jack Avan in my conversation, that is the opportunity to for wealth, to make something that people want to make, something that will go out into the world that people will buy. So you become wealthy, and then you can employ other people and keep this great American dream going, I mean, and share that by employing people. And that's one of the great things about you know, capitalism.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And it's what has made our country so exceptional for the years that it's that it's existed, Right, it's idea that you know, folks have an idea at a core level, they want to make something better for society. They see a problem, and when they solve that problem, they create wealth. They create opportunity, not just for themselves in their families, which is a marvelous thing. But they do it for the people in their community right. The jobs, the opportunity that they create then creates more opportunity. It's this these cycles of mutual benefit, Brian, the opportunity that comes from a nation that, at its core principles believes that life, liberty in the pursuit of happiness is what it's all about. And those founding principles that are articulated in the decoration of Atpendence and our nation's constitutions or our founding documents, that's what enables those folks, those innovators, those entrepreneurs, those job creators, to do what they do and has made us a country of exceptionalism for so many years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, Donovan, it's just not fair that someone makes money. It's not fair in spite of the fact that all their labor, all their effort, and all their trials and and and quite often multiple failures after failure after failure, they keep driving toward it and then they accomplish something and somebody else wants to stick their hand in the pocket of the entrepreneur and take it from them, just because find that's so effencive it well.
Speaker 3: And that's part of what we're gonna do, right. I think we're gonna be work through this campaign. We're going to do a good job, I hope, of talking about the history, talking about the foundational principles that our organization and bodies and that makes our nation great. But through that, you know, we're actually we're an organization of action. We're not just going to spend a year providing a history lesson. We're going to be challenging folks to take action along the way, right because as you know, we know.
Speaker 2: That for those.
Speaker 3: Freedom and liberties are are fleeting, and we have so much red tape and regulation in this country and in this state, we have so much taxation, right, government coming in taking money out of one person's pocket and trying to put it in someone else's.
Speaker 2: It makes it.
Speaker 3: Hard for entrepreneurs, innovators, creators to be successful, let alone hardworking blue collar americ Ohioans. Right, And so we're going to be using this campaign as additionally as an opportunity to talk about those issues, those areas for reform, the ways we move Ohio from middle of the Midwest to number one in the nation in AFP, Ohio get the forefront of that conversation the website.
Speaker 1: Take one small step dot com any calls to action for my listeners beyond heading over to the website and checking it out.
Speaker 3: Well, head over the website, sol that information out, and when our team members reach out to you to take action and get involved, to take your one small step take them up on it. From calling your state representatives to tell them to override the governor's misguided vetos. Yeah, joining us at the state House. Take that small step, whatever it is, it makes an impact and it makes a difference. So we need two hundred and fifty thousand of them here in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 1: I know my listeners will heed the challenge. Take one small step dot com, get in touch with the website and help by doing just one small effort in that direction. Donaldleneo, speaking of veto overrides, is going to bring you back in the next segment to talk about where we are on that and what else we can do to assist in the effort to provide a some measure of property tax relief, as small as it may be. I'll take whatever we can get. Seven thirty eight right now, fifty five krc DE Talk Station Cullen Electric family owned and operated since nineteen ninety nine. Andrew Collen is great team of electricians. They're outstanding on what they do. Of course, they're all licensed electricians. You're gonna get a ten year wiring warranty on anything they do in your home by way of electric work. Many projects Cullen has done in my home. In fact, I mentioned this the other day. We were having an exchange of emails amongst some friends of mine from of this group text things and someone was looking for an electrician, and I mentioned Colin, and one of the other guys chimed in, Oh, yeah, Collin's great, that's right. They are so independent verification for one of my good friends who really is very knowledgeable on this type of work. Colin can be reached at five one three two two seven four one one two five one three two two seven four one one two A plus with a Better Business Bureau online Collen spelled s U L E. N. Cullenelectriccincinnati dot com fifty five KRC. Did you know even the storm? Here's your Channel nine first one and one forecasts Showers and storms are likely today and down heavy downpours along with frequent lightning eighty seven, feeling more like ninety five with a heat index muggy overnight seventy three for the low, partly cloudy, very muggy. On Thursday, rounds of showers and storms are also likely. Ninety will feel more like one hundred degrees overnight muggy showers likely seventy two, and the same on Friday, with very human conditions and a chances storms and downpours. Friday's high eighty three. It is seventy five right now in time for traffic updig Chuck from.
Speaker 4: The U see how tramping center that you see how Brain Tumor Center finds answers for some of the most complex brain tumors. One more and you see how dot com note found seventy five break lights buttermilk Kyle's hang in from Mitchell towards the Reagan Highway. But that should start to improve a bit. The earlier cleanup is now done right. Lanes open again, Sat Bend two seventy five bright delights from the Lawrence purg Ramp onto the bridge ring not helping any there through that construction. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR scene the talk station.
Speaker 1: It is seven forty three to fifty five KRCIT talk station Brian Thomas with Americans for Prosperities Donovan and Eil Donovan. You alluded to it call to action us calling our representatives and exposed senators in Columbus and telling them to override Mike Dwain's vetos at least related to the three property texts relief provisions that were in the bill that he vetoed. Anything beyond that and where where do you stand on that? If you had interactions with the representatives or senators to find out where they are on overriding the veto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been That's sort of what we've been doing right now is having a lot of conversations with numbers of the General Assembly, particularly state representatives. Because the way that the veto override process works is it has to originate in the chamber where the bill came out of and so because the budget starts in the House House Bill ninety seven, the House has to take the first action and do the first round of veto overrides. Then it goes to the Senate, and really, honestly, the House is where the challenge lies because it takes sixty votes.
Speaker 2: You have sixty votes.
Speaker 3: Republicans have a sixty five member majority in the House, and so while that gives you a five vote buffer, there's still a handful of folks right who might be out of town or sick or whatever unknown reason decide they don't want to vote on this thing, or want to play games. And so it is an important sort of rallying effort, and there's an opportunity for grassroots to have an outsized impact, which is what our team's doing in events and rallying folks.
Speaker 2: Up and telephone.
Speaker 3: Town hall is one of the things we've been hosting around the state this week.
Speaker 1: Good is there any opposition to the provisions? I mean, they were in there to start with, and I still can't, for the like me, figure out why Mike de want and veto them, considering they were the subject matter of a full year's worth of research and study.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and talking to some folks, I think what I've heard is Dwine sort of didn't expect the backlash.
Speaker 2: That has come from this.
Speaker 3: And that's what most folks who've been paying attention to what's going on in Columbus have said, is like these were things that were well fed.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Literally, I'm not being facetious. Here hundreds of hours of public testimony from organizations left right and center, citizens, local government officials, representatives all talking about these issues and the four pieces of property tax form and these, by the way, Brian, aren't the kinds of things that are you know, going to deliver major transformation over bullets.
Speaker 1: They're steps the measures that may help provide at least provide some flexibility to maybe get bring about some property tax relief. Maybe they won't, but at least they provide some flexibility to provide that relief.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and so they're they're meaningful, but they are They're not controversial. These are things that have been discussed and it's about really resetting the equation. And that's what the state legislature can do on this property tax crisis is create a structure that puts the taxpayers back in the dominant position. Where right now, the thirty nine hundred political subdivisions and they're tens of thousands of lobbyists across the state of Ohio are in the dominant position. They have the advantage over the taxpayer right now. They don't want to change that. At the legislature through the budget was going to change some of the rules and the governor to wine vetoed some of those changes that would have been to the benefit of the property tax payer here in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: Is the shame.
Speaker 3: That's why we're so happy to see July twenty first the House comeback for a veto override session.
Speaker 1: Right and Okay, so on one side, the budget passed with the provision, so one would logically think there'll be enough votes to override the vetos. So that's one effort we need to engage in because, of course, as you mentioned, you need sixty people to do it. Are Democrats against those? I mean, listen, it doesn't matter what political stripe you are. Your property tax bill has gone through the roof, So if it's going to maybe provide some benefit, it will provide benefit to Democrats as well as Republicans.
Speaker 2: Mean, I suppose.
Speaker 1: I was just think the only the only thing that I would think who would be arguing against it is maybe the teachers unions because somehow it might impact the amount of money that the schools get. But beyond that, is there any organized effort to oppose the vetos?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what Yeah, You're you're spot on there, Brian. The largest outside voices on this issue are teachers, unions and the organizations that represent all these political subdivisions, the schools, the school board officials, the townships, the villages, the cities, all that. But here's the interesting thing. Well, policy can be good, we know how this plays out. There's politics always at play here. Yeah, and so the Democrat minority has while they understand the property tax issue and they I think which support should support these issues these items because they've been part of those conversations, politics is at play, right, Yeah. Beyond that, we see this play out on the federal level. We even got Republicans, Brian who use this as an opportunity to'll try to leverage or parlay influence or power at the quite frankly, at the cost of the property tax payer here in the state of Ohio. And so, just like we see on the federal level with Lisa Mkowski and others who play games on recisions packages that should be slammed dunks for Republicans exactly on spending restraint, we've got Republicans in Ohio too who try to play those similar games and disrupt an opportunity to really one let Governor de Wine know he's wrong in his vetos, but two begin to deliver some relief for Ohioans when it comes to their property tax bills.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why we get a gut on the phone and write letters or otherwise contact our elected officials in Columbus. Donald O'Neil, the question still looming large for me out there, why in the hell did the wine veto those provisions? I meant, his argument for doing it is it needs to be studied, and he's put together this focus group to study on it. That's what was happening last year. That's how they came up with all the various suggestions. So I guess three or four of which actually made it into the legislation.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I just don't get it, Donovan. I guess I never will. But then again, Mike, the wine has remained a mystery to me for a lot of reasons. Donald and Neil, Americans for Prosperity. Get over to the website, take one small step dot com and fill out the form and get on the lists that you can help out as well. It's always great having you on, and I applaud the work that you and the team at AFP do every week. And I look forward to talking with you again next week.
Speaker 2: Donovan Ran always appreciate you string your megaphone with me. Have a great week.
Speaker 1: Happy to do it brother seven forty nine. Right now if you have got krc DE talk station, also happy to direct you over to the Gate of Heaven Catholic Cemetery, Montgomery Road. It is absolutely gorgeous. You need a place to wind down and reflect and create and think about the beauty of life through every step of the way birth life milestones. Of course, ultimately we are all going to pass into eternal life as well. It's Gate of Heaven Cemetery, beautiful landscape surrounding which is ideal for prayer, reflection and remembrance. It's a experience and of course, you know, in that tragic time of life, it's just it's the perfect opportunity for you to, you know, help deal and cope with the realities of a loss of life. But then it gets so much more than that. More than an area place, it is a sanctuary set apart for prayer, healing and honoring the legacy of every life. And everyone is welcome to Gate of Heaven to enjoy the tranquil setting. Find more out go to Gateoheaven dot org. That's Gate of Heaven dot org. Fifty five KRC Waynam got Loo