Speaker 1: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio. While this is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and today is Troy Hutchison from Goisycats dot Com. Now we have Ray with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: All right, starting off with the obvious one from the weekend. I mean, Arizona, how much.
Speaker 2: More can you talk about this silly game? I'm just joking. Go ahead, but they lost three to eight.
Speaker 3: It was a good game for until the eighth, you know, and then kind of Philip It's opened Phillipark.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for the picture of right because he had had a great year and then you know, he's the starter and stopper of all. The criticism goes to.
Speaker 4: Their like a Mason White couple as too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, stuff stuff happens.
Speaker 3: And I mean it's in the biggest moments, you know what I mean, so in front of a lot of people, exactly.
Speaker 4: And you know, one thing I want to point out is Summer Hill got injured throughout the season, they brought him back and he really didn't look the same. I wonder how healthy he actually is and that that played a role throughout the season. I think he like banging up his knee or something like that. I think it was a lower Lake area.
Speaker 3: Keeping it going with some commitments stuff. One that Troy hasn't talked about yet, thankfully, Darren Schmidt committed about an hour AGO's He from uh Vancouver, Washington, and Adam Gorney says that he flipped from Boise State to.
Speaker 2: Come here Vancouver, Washington, one of the prettiest places in the country.
Speaker 4: Was that like legitimate or I've never been there.
Speaker 5: I'm just wondering, fantastic because I've seen Pullman in well, you know, on the other side of the Okay, there you go, Okay, sure, Pullman, well Pullman, Yeah, I guess okay, spoken, It's fine.
Speaker 2: I like Pullman, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Never been to Washington, so I wouldn't know. Yeah, when we kind of went over. Three star from California, R J. Moseley committed the wide receiver. Another one is a three star from Texas quarterback Zayer Hiller. I think that's how you say his name and do you.
Speaker 2: Do you see Britain. Is he status quo? On the recruits? Are they doing better? What do you what do you see from that?
Speaker 4: I think well, right now on our website on rivals, Hiller is an unranked recruit. There's another recruit tell Us that is unranked as well. That could change in terms of the recruiting updates, but I think overall, they're they're getting the guys they want to. Now, there's some big fish out there, like we talked about Jayda and Oneil, the four start quarterback that's committed to Oklahoma, some other guys that they could potentially flip. So if you get those, you're looking at a recruiting class by the time National signing Day comes around maybe in the thirty five forty range, which would be a very good class for Arizona and kind of that that range that right, So.
Speaker 2: And to Don's point, that's where Arizona is in the grand scheme of football, right if you get if they got to a twenty five ranking, how big would that be?
Speaker 4: I mean Jed got to a nineteen. It's the largest, it's the largest class in Arizona history.
Speaker 2: Okay, and he's kind of showed for it right there. I mean, really well, and how often does that happen?
Speaker 4: It's maybe once every five years.
Speaker 2: Hey, I know who I am. I'm no Brad Pitt, so I'm Steve Rivera. You know what I'm saying. You are who you are, And I think to Don's point, that's what he was talking about, and to your point too, kind of maybe you're not You're not Dawn and you're not Brad Pitt. You're right. You know what I'm saying. You're not. You're trying to be optimistic to be nineteen more often that ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 4: No, No, but I think it can happen. Not And I'm not saying consistent nineteen nineteen nine, No, no, okay, give me consistent consistent thirty about thirty to forty?
Speaker 2: How often does that happen?
Speaker 4: Mike had it going like that, Mike top top forty?
Speaker 2: How old were you then?
Speaker 4: I know that? But how much how much of the recruiting fall off after Mike whins were a bunch a bunch and that and that hurt it a lot? Yeah, yea yeah, someone came in, Yeah, completely right.
Speaker 2: So you said, could could it continue to happen like Mike and Fish every now and again more often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it depends on who you have as as a coach. I think, because let's say Brennan, they have a great year and they have the number thirty, we'll say thirty four recruiting class. After everything's said and done the next year, you can use that for a moment. Hey, look, we have this as an assist, we have rules.
Speaker 2: You know how much I hate recruiting because it's a much of crap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm shooting fact.
Speaker 2: That you could have one good year and then it falls off because well, now the kids want to play and the kids that just came are going to play. Yeah, it's all cyclical, right, So so you're thinking thirty thirty two to thirty five is realistic consistently.
Speaker 4: If you're showing progress as a program. Now, if you're that four and eight, that isn't going to happen.
Speaker 2: Remember that you're here at theres.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I know there's a lot of factors.
Speaker 4: I get that. I'm just saying rich Rod was a consistent seven game winner. Yeah, if he how do I put this, if he cared about recruiting it as much, they would have been in that thirty range.
Speaker 2: No. No, of course, because you know what, he had the slogan okay, geez, yeah, it was okay with big, big infant deal. I mean, okay, you had a slogan, and I think he's a heck of a coach, no great excesen that that was the problem with him. He thought he was a great coach, and he is, but he hoped to mild those kids, that he could get two three, four stars into becoming better and.
Speaker 4: The other issues at the time, and he tried to change it at the last minute. There he didn't care about defense, no care at all about defense. So having a bunch of no offense to them, but older dudes on your recruiting staff, that on your coaching staff that wasn't working at West Virginia as your defensive staff, saying well we'll go call it Okage's and every now and then you find you find a scooby, right sure, well okay.
Speaker 2: And it was a two star. Yeah, I mean, come on, there's there's points when you have to coach them up and you did or whatever. But also you have to get to be the thirty thirty two to thirty three ring. Yeah, you know there's that you need that Arizona's not that place. I've been here long enough to know that, and I'm not catch lightning a bottle a couple of times. Boo.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure how recruiting rankings worked when Dictomy was around.
Speaker 2: Well, he was the same guy he was. He was a over Coach him or coach him up. Maybe get a couple of dudes and play your asses off.
Speaker 4: And an air that's two slided in a nutshell and an air that. There was a lot of overlook guys too. So you know, if you put those players in now, how would they be ranked. You know, I didn't where his recruiting classes in that thirty to fifty range.
Speaker 2: Constantly Anthony would know more about that guy. He followed it one than me.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, consistent coaching matters, and if you're able to show growth. I know a lot of the kids Brennan's first year, a lot of high level kids, four or five sir kids that were like, oh, we love the staff, we liked the university. Okay, but show us before we're gonna go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 4: Question, but we're not gonna go.
Speaker 2: It's like the kid I don't ten years ago from Florida and you probably know the an't better than me when he committed here before Star Fight start, he was a quarterback to Florida a couple days later. No, ye tell you you're going to go to Arizona. I mean, that's kind of the tone that I hear in my mind, not in reality, but in my mind, you're going to play football Arizona. Hell with you, you're going to go to Florida or that. If you have the chance to write now, is that. I'm sure that's what you hear.
Speaker 4: You do this for a living, Yes, But I just again, it's hard to overlook the fact of the Tetrao McMillon class. Now, a lot had to go right. Sure that even when Teto Ro mcviellan, if Oregon doesn't make a coaching change, he's going to Oregon, He's not coming to Arizona. But the fact that they made the coaching change to Dan Lanning, the fact that Dan Lanning really had an emphasis on the defensive side of the football with the recruits and really talking to them when he came in and kind of ignored the offensive guys, was the main driving force for Arizona land.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a perfect, perfect, perfect But the rest of that recruiting class, even if you didn't have to to Roman Villain. Obviously, that's the main piece. A lot of really good football players came out of there, a lot of NFL dudes, a lot of good football players, a lot of high three star, low four sarcus.
Speaker 2: Like I said, do you catch lighting a bottle and boom, here you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the next recruiting class was very good, and we didn't see them develop because once he left they all transfer.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and we'll see how good he'll make them be or have them be. Okay, keep going, all right, your stuff, mind, it's cool. I mean, it's good hearing you guys talking to me. You have the fish plate, the rice, the.
Speaker 3: Rice, keeping going though. This is this is one that kind of caught my eye today. It was reported by Javier on the fourteenth, So on Saturday, Sunnyside graduate Audrey Humanez. Oh Yeah, yeah, we go into the Senior World Championships for wrestling obviously in Croatia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta we've had around before. We'll get around later at some pot. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Pretty cool, nineteen years old doing big things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where did you go to school, like Columbia or somewhere? I can't remember what she was. It doesn't matter if he doesn't have it on there. But no, yeah, yeah, but side always produced tough, tough. I was actually did the guys sell his ticket? Yeah, the one hundred thousand, one hundred thousand dollars ticket.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know, because I tried looking on DraftKings. But I haven't pissed because now he's in trouble again.
Speaker 2: And now he's in trouble for yah'd be twenty If he didn't sell it, that shame on him.
Speaker 6: And then then yeah, yeah, yeah, I think he said he was going to ride it.
Speaker 2: Because it was one hundred and seven. I think the last time we.
Speaker 6: Checked it went back up to one hundred and seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sell your ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was when it was one hundred and twenty. I keep it for a while, then went out to sixty five, and no, it's one hundred and seven. It was one hundred something. Now it's got to be about fifty five minutes.
Speaker 3: It's probably like the like not even letting new cash thirteen bucks, you know, yeah.
Speaker 6: It's probably not No, yeah, it's probably like locked right now.
Speaker 4: But if Edmonton it did he for the Pacers or Thunder, Yeah, Thunder. Okay, I can see the Thunder winning today and all of a sudden, Yeah, then you catch out.
Speaker 3: I would have cashed out. Yeah, of course, Diamondbacks coming off a weekend. You went to the game yesterday, got two out of three from the Padres, but won the series. Next series is going to start tomorrow. It's against the Blue Jays. It's gonna be one to look out for. A home on the road.
Speaker 2: On the road. Did they play next week?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Every week, I should say me. Can I finish my si? Uh? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So what was your sentence?
Speaker 2: Did they finish next week at home?
Speaker 4: I think I.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 4: They have a stretch coming up with the Rockies, White Sox, and Marlins. I mean that's a great stretch. And all of a sudden you find yourself in the nod of the and then you're not selling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not back till the twenty seventh. Okay, cool, cool, keep it going. Oh this was kind of an interesting one. Well, I'll start with the big news. Otani's supposed to start today against the Padres for the first time in a couple of years. I supposed to just go first. Maybe an indy well supposed to be an inning, maybe a second one against the Padres. It's gonna be an interesting one. Okay, Okay, I think that's playing with fire. So yeah, why do they really, like, I know, they're baned up pitching?
Speaker 6: Is that home or they're gonna be playing in it?
Speaker 4: So that's gonna be a crazy But is it worth potentially his career, like if he re injures that that shoulder, Yeah, is it worth his sitting to test that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably not.
Speaker 3: It's tough fun, yeah, I Mean the thing I don't what I don't understand, is like I don't understand why so many people want him as a starter, like I think if he's a closer, like I think that's just as cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but can you How do you do that though, because you're gonna want him in the lineup every day, so you can't come up out of the bullpend.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Well I thought they like switched it up for him, didn't they?
Speaker 4: Like, you can be like he could be, he could pitch him hit, yes, but if you're already in the lineup, they can't move you to pitcher because you're already d h.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So maybe I'm I'm wrong on the rules, but I don't see how he would be able to because I thought of the pen too, Like, how you would be able to do that?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: No, I mean you probably know more more about baseball than me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: But yeah, this is an interesting one too, though.
Speaker 3: His interpreter is yeah, I think he turned himself in, like for his prison sentence today in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was another crazy one. Obviously.
Speaker 3: A big story of tonight is going to be the Pacers versus the Thunder Game five in Oklahoma City series tied the game.
Speaker 2: He lost the series on Saturday Friday? Whatever game?
Speaker 4: Do you think that's it?
Speaker 2: Okay, so he just took it over Indiana should have won that game. Yeah, I thought there's every right to win the game. Like texted with Chris because you know you haven't heard a word from him today, right, Actually, yeah, that's for a reason. If he doesn't win tonight, he's done.
Speaker 4: All I gotta say is the series extender Scott Foster was calling that game. Oh, just pointing that out though, Okay, the extended, the extended that that nice little push off travel that uh s g A had there to take the lead.
Speaker 3: A lot of people weren't fans of that one other big story of today, Arkansas gage would pitches third no hitter in men's collegeables series.
Speaker 2: History, narrow away from being a perfect game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty pretty cool stuff. I mean they they also eliminated Murray Murray State with.
Speaker 2: That so now gone Oregon State, Arizona and Murray State Louisville.
Speaker 4: So I don't know what happened in their game.
Speaker 2: Who's the other loose? Just Murray State?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just Murray.
Speaker 2: Okay, bad?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that's about it.
Speaker 4: There's some other big stuff, but all right, okay, you know who's excited and this kind of just thought about this that Arizona is not in it anymore? Kay Johnson?
Speaker 9: Oh, no more questions, So let me ask.
Speaker 4: I don't know if anybody asks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was just gonna say, because well I'll ask. Michael Levin comes in to say, Okay, let's go and come back with Michael lift.
Speaker 10: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock im Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materi, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 11: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 4: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 11: Wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 12: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource.
Speaker 9: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 12: Discover with Soul Casino del Sol, the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 9: Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 13: So Fasca Yackie Try At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 9: Visit voltpeteam dot com.
Speaker 13: That's Volpe team dot com or called five two O six one eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine POT two equal housing opportunity. Got to commitment to Lyndrix cyn credit rates and available loan programs. A subjct to change with the.
Speaker 14: Notice Richard butcall law office defending arizonaans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard briccall five two O seven to four to oh twelve thirteen.
Speaker 9: Broud sponsor of I on the Ball, Go Cats Wie.
Speaker 15: Mining so important. It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of minors, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals of a process.
Speaker 4: That's why my name is so important.
Speaker 2: Go to vyvm dot com.
Speaker 16: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, We've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill Guard windows.
Speaker 9: In stock now and ready for pickup.
Speaker 11: Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill Guard window experts.
Speaker 14: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier, give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 9: They have trophies.
Speaker 14: Blacks Acrylics Art Class fine crystal metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio AB. This is IM Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox sportsporteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Thanky in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Your Troy Hutchison got ready with us. Now we have Michael ev from The Daily Star, Michael Hiding Good.
Speaker 8: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're doing well. Thank you. I don't think you probably put the baseball season to bed yet, but uh uh, And to maybe cheat on you for today, what were your five things from yesterday?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean started off with that eighth inning disaster, which was kind of like the un on Friday, right, yeah, right, like they just kind of melted down and imploded.
Speaker 8: I also discussed missed.
Speaker 7: Opportunities earlier in the game. I thought they could have expanded the lead a couple different times. They didn't take advantage of those.
Speaker 2: So couldn't that be said for Friday's game too? Friday's game two.
Speaker 7: Of Sure, Yeah, Sir, talked about defense both good and bad, talked about Smith Bailey super impressive again, and then just kind of a little bit of a look ahead to the future and the importance of giving to Pail a contract extension and along with that like upping the assistant coach school so that Kevin Vance is fairly compensated and sticks around, which I mean, you know, they could do that and he could still leave because someone could offer him more money, or someone could offer him a promotion to a head coach position, but they need to do everything in their power to keep him on board.
Speaker 8: If they can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Michael going into this postseason summer Hill obviously was banned up throughout the year and made his way back and kind of just didn't look like his normal self throughout the postseason and Big Ball Tournament. I think a little bit of that injury kind of played played out how its effect on him throughout this whole time run for Arizona.
Speaker 7: I do, I really do, And I think it kind of maybe got to him mentally a little bit, like he just I don't know, he just did not seem.
Speaker 8: Like himself.
Speaker 7: The longer the postseason went on. I mean, he was such a destructive force earlier in the year, and when he broke his hand in late March, I think it was yeah, I think it was late it was late April, whatever that was. He was batting over four hundred, like, well over four hundred, like he was as dangerous as any leadoff hitter in the country.
Speaker 8: And then he came back and then he heard his hamstring.
Speaker 7: I don't know which one is bothering him more, maybe both, But he got out of rhythm, he got out of sink and just wasn't the same guy. Like and we're talking about someone who had a you know, on base percentage of around five hundred. But when you know, the last game of the year, the most important game of the year, goes oh for five. I don't think it was for a lack of effort. I just don't think that he was feeling like himself physically. And you know, confidence can wane in this in this sport especially, and sometimes you get into a little bit of a rut and it's hard to pull yourself out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, Michael. A few people saw that this team more than you this season, and and me just coming on board for the last you know, three four weeks whatever. And I've said this, you know, by my third person, I said this to Arizona fans must be very timid, or you know, when you hit a dog and he kind of becomes shy because one didn't score enough runs in the last month. And then they to me there must have been oh, no, two run needs not big enough. It was just kind of like, holy crap, how do you have faith in this team when they're just going to disappoint you? And over the last couple of games there was exactly that.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 7: I think the the oddity of that is that they were so good in late inning and one run game situations leading up to that point, right. I mean, they were undefeated when winning or tied after the sixth inning before Friday, and they were undefeated when winning after the seventh inning before Sunday. And that's because they generally don't make a lot of mistakes in the field, you know. And then of course they make two airs and one inning on Sundays. They hadn't made two airs in the same game since May sixth, Okay, so that gives you some idea how good they usually are defensively. And they had the stopper of the year back of their bullpen and Tony Fluda. And you know, I don't know if the heavy workload from the previous weekend impacted him at all. I think, you know, both he and Garrett Hicks were the victims of some seriously bad luck.
Speaker 8: I mean, that hit that the dudes for.
Speaker 7: Coastal Carolinas on Friday was the word I used, was ridiculous. I mean, it was an absolutely I mean credit to him, but he hit the ball basically off the ground and blooped it right on the line down right field line. And then you had another hitter for this in this last game for Louisville to do almost the exact same thing because Tony plut it landed almost the same spot. So sometimes that is just the breaks of the game. You know, It's just the way things go in baseball.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I know you tweeted out that you couldn't make the trip, but you were still covering the team from home. But throughout this whole entire process in the College World Series, Steve and I were wondering, did you guys get to have that conversation or questions with Jay Johnson about his time at Arizona and how that conversation went or did anybody or did anyone? I?
Speaker 8: Okay, here's the deal. So I wasn't able to go.
Speaker 7: We had our partners with the Omaha World Herald recovering for us out there in Omaha. But they had press conferences right for every team, and there were in person questions and zoom, and it was like, in person will get priority.
Speaker 8: Zoom will if we have time, right, So they got a half hour for.
Speaker 7: Each team, and of course participated in Coastal Carolina and it lasted maybe fifteen minutes out of the half hour I participated.
Speaker 8: In the one for Arizona.
Speaker 7: I was about twenty minutes out of the half hour LSU. They took up the whole half hour and I did not, and I was unable to get my question in. No one there asked him about his time at Arizona. I had a question in the holster about the twenty sixteen team, you know, And it would have been a great addition to that story that I did on that last game, and it's a good story without him, it would have been a little bit better with him. Just people, a few people from the team, just reminiscing about that that time and that season. But yeah, no one, no one was able to get a question in because there's a ton of LSU media there. And if you know Jay Johnson, he's loquacious, right, Like he's a talker. He's going to get you a lengthy, thorough answer no matter what you ask him.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure he's smart enough to know that they were gonna come and oh darn, we didn't have enough time.
Speaker 9: Right right.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, it is a situation where I kind of I wish I had been there because you know, maybe I would have been able to intercept him, you know, as he was leaving the press conference or whatever, and get a couple questions, and he knows me, he probably would have accommodated me.
Speaker 8: But that's how it goes.
Speaker 7: There could be another occasion, you know, where LS went Arizona in the same College World Series. I don't think that's inconceivable at all. Un Let's you's going to be going a lot with Jay down there and all the resources they have, and and in Arizona they've gone every four times the tournament's been contested since twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Since you've been a regular on the show. The last happened a month or so. I talked to you about the softball program and you know, you know the season and how you rate it disappointing. Okay, so we went there and now now here. Scale of one to ten, what do you rate it? And was it successful?
Speaker 8: Baseball? Yes, baseball definitely successful.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 7: Uh, scale of one to ten, I'd say maybe like an eight some'wor up there.
Speaker 8: Look, I mean the goal for any program is to make it to Omaha.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: No, it's satisfied within the program that they only made it to Omaha and then went you know, went to and out. But you know, when you gather the team the first day in August, I mean, that's that's that's the north star for everybody.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 8: So they did that, and they progressed.
Speaker 7: And they're gonna, you know, put a bunch of guys into MLB organizations again.
Speaker 8: They seemed to be recruiting. Well, I feel like the program is in a good place. And you know, I don't think I think Frank Chance, it's.
Speaker 7: The only coach who led Arizona to four consecutives NCAA tournament appearances in his first four seasons. Obviously, it was a different landscape back then. But Chip Hill did that and he got into the World Series in his fourth year, So that, without question, I would say a very successful season for U of a baseball You know.
Speaker 4: I really don't pay attention in terms of the MLB prospects and stuff like that. It's kind of harder to keep up in terms of like comparison to NBA and NFL with the drafting in the middle of the MLB season the way it is. But for a guy like Mason White, who had this phenomenal postseason run, you know, kind of fizzled out there at the end in Omaha, but big hit after big hit and being on the national stage, how much does that affect or help a guy like him because he's going to get drafted. But how much can that move you in the draft order when you put on a display like he did this postseason?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think for the most part that scouts have made their reports and you know, reached their conclusions about players by this time of year.
Speaker 8: But you know a lot of times we're talking about, like how do we break the tie? You know, like we have these guys about even or roughly in the same range.
Speaker 7: Maybe you can move yourself up a little bitter, or maybe you move down if you don't perform. I had heard, you know, when Mason White wasn't doing quite as well, that maybe he's going to fall into the fourth or fifth round range. I think the way he performed down the stretch, cutting down on his strikeouts, showing that he can go the other way, still displaying.
Speaker 8: The elite power that we all know he has.
Speaker 7: I think we're talking more third round, maybe even the end of the second round for him now. And I think that's thanks to his performance in the postseason. I mean, m VP of the Big Twelve tournament, MVP of the Eugene Regional.
Speaker 8: When the stage is.
Speaker 7: The biggest, the lights are the brightest, usually Mason White performs his best.
Speaker 2: What do you think his legacy will be.
Speaker 8: I think it will be great.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, he's he's a third generation Wildcat right His dad and grandpa played at Arizona. He's the second all time leading home run hitter in program history. He I think is tied for the most extra base hits in program history.
Speaker 8: He also has the.
Speaker 7: Most strikeouts in program history. So you know, he supposed to kind of like his modern approach to hitting and when with some of the results of that can be and you know, he's he's someone who's he's gonna come back here in the off season to work out. He'll be around the program. He loves Arizona. It's all he ever wanted to do since he was a little kid, was to play for the Arizona Wildcats, and he got to do that.
Speaker 8: He fulfills his dream.
Speaker 7: I think he leaves with a with a sterling legacy as as one of the all time greats in program history.
Speaker 2: He's like Michael lev going to a bar, you don't have to buy a beer.
Speaker 8: So not true.
Speaker 4: As you look at Chip Hill and just that closing press conference, you know, do you feel like for him there's a sense of relief not only to get to the Super Regionals and do what they did, but to get the promo the program to Omaha. And I don't want to say a monkey office back, but you know people were wondering, can can he get to super And not only did he do that, but he did get them to Omahan.
Speaker 7: I think he did feel a sense of relief when they got there, right because remember, like they hadn't even gotten out of a regional in the first three years, including one that they hosted. And when you're the host, I mean you're the favorite, right, you're supposed to win.
Speaker 8: Doesn't always happen. We saw a bunch of upsets this year.
Speaker 7: I think there's there might be a little bit more parody in college baseball now as we're seeing in college basketball in college football, because everyone has money, right, so you can spread the talent out a little bit. But it was definitely a hurdle that he needed to get over to me to kind of win over the fans once and for all, you know, really definitively prove to them that he's demand for the job.
Speaker 8: I think no one quept in. You know, Chip Hale's bona fides just as a baseball man or as a.
Speaker 7: Man period, Like, he is extremely well liked and well respected by players and coaches and colleagues. But you know, there were questions about whether he could coach in college because there are different elements in play in college.
Speaker 8: Than in professional baseball, most.
Speaker 7: Mostly recruiting, right, Like, could this guy who's in his mid fifties get out there and recruit? And he did a good job of hiring the right people to surround him. And I think they've actually recruited better than people fought. They were able to get some elite arms through the draft last year, including Smith Bailey who was outstanding as a freshman. So those are a lot of positive signs for what Chip Hale has done. And to your original point, try I do agree. I think it was a sense of relief for him when he got past that first round and then you know, Cherry on top to win the Super Regional two.
Speaker 2: Having covered the team for a long time, Michael, let me ask you this, when was the last time you wrote like a feature on him? And I asked you that because you know, not having dealt with him a whole heck of a lot. I think when I he was covering doing stuff, I maybe wrote a story or two a long time ago that he was kind of self effacing in the interviews during the games and kind of funny and and just kind of like a normal dude, you know, Tommy Tommy, Tommy loydish and that struck me as very being very cool, you know, very normal dude kind of like, So, have you done a feature on him lately? I have not. No.
Speaker 7: The last like really in depth feature I did on Chip was going into his first season.
Speaker 2: So the reason I asked is, how would you how would you knowing at least maybe my perception is wrong, but how would you write that now? Because he is just a dude who, to me, who knows baseball, and and obviously you just mentioned they love playing for him, because you don't get here by accident, you know. To me, he was just a dude who loves to coach the game and is pretty good at it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it would be it would be an interesting thing to do, and maybe I will do that going into next season. He I think what stands out to me a couple of things. One, I think he's learned some things since he became a college coach, like how important every game is and you can't really afford to take a night off with a shorter season where every game impacts your.
Speaker 8: Your metrics, you know.
Speaker 7: And I think he's proved to be a smarter person than a lot of people gave him credit without question in terms of how in terms of how to put together an entire organization.
Speaker 2: And I'm told that he's a very bright dude off the baseball field.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I don't doubt it.
Speaker 7: Like I think he I think he had qualified to get into the Navy or the Air Force or maybe both, or like coming out of high school.
Speaker 8: So yeah, very smart guy. And I think too, like I think he's actually well.
Speaker 7: Equipped for this current era because he was in professional baseball, you know. I mean it's like it's like free agency now, right every off season he is for guys who have been coaching college baseball for twenty thirty years. Like that was a shock to the system, right, all of a sudden, Like I got to re recruit all my players, and you know, like I have to redo my roster every year. That's like that every year in the pros.
Speaker 8: So I don't think it was nearly as big.
Speaker 2: Of a deal for him, and smart enough, smarter than me not to use the word dude. You got a question, be no, okay, you got it. We're good to go. Thank you, Michael lev I appreciate you. Will probby find you somewhere the summer. Maybe you come in and be a co host. I'm getting tired of Troy.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, thank you, gentlemen.
Speaker 7: I will definitely look at my calendar and see if I can work that out.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, thank you to join you yeah, thank you, Michael.
Speaker 4: You know I joke.
Speaker 2: I joke because I care. Joy, this is my last. Are you'll miss that you'll miss Let's take your break.
Speaker 14: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 17: Craving Tucson's best burger, the Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and you're end cell Bration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 18: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Les piees mean more money in your pocket, less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Suns Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's the Love Coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 9: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 19: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health from leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 4: On twenty second this quest of wilmot.
Speaker 2: Hey, Tucson. Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show call out Steve now went five to two oh four one six seventy four.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my the ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. M Steve Rivera or Troy Hutcher send your ay. Good to talk to Michael lev get the scoop on the baseball team. It's funny that no one asked to Well, I can understand nobody was there to ask.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: I guess one day we'll find when I write the next book.
Speaker 4: And now's a few people don't care.
Speaker 2: No, they know, we're more curious. Yeah, we're more curious.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they know they writing it. Okay, let's go back to your ninety seven. Uh and how did we start this? Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you said nobody expected them. Yeah, yeah, that far and god yeah yeah. Uh but I mean a key part of that is Miles Simon's being suspended.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: If he wasn't suspended, what kind of seating they would have? What do you think they would have gotten?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, so, so good question. Good question. You're assuming all things would have gone better? No, was right because he was out for that first semester because of academics. I think that that's where they helped win the damn thing because one Mike Bibby had to grow up. Michael Dickerson had to really grow up and show that what he was capable of because he always had it in him, right, except that he didn't get the chance because of all the dynamics. In fact, he was the year before. He was dynamic when they lost to Kansas in the sweet sixteen. But so that kind of helped them set up for what they went through during the regular season of the Pector and they were mediocre at the bat. You know, they finished fourth, fifth in the conference eventually ran So to your point of what what were you trying to go get if.
Speaker 4: He was didn't have those issues he played, Let's say they gel. Maybe maybe some things don't gel, is what you're saying, But maybe they get four or five more wins, maybe the seating goes higher because on paper that like, regardless of how that's a talent. You know, I'm sure everybody thought that's a talented team going into the season.
Speaker 2: Well you didn't know that until you until the next year when they were very talented and nothing. It was in the eight I'll give you one more if you want to go hypothetical. If you remember going into summer, there was a dude that there I used the were dude again that would have should have been on the roster but didn't make it. Jackson or Steven Jackson. How how that would either screwed up the chemistry or made him very talented, because you know what I'm saying, sometimes addition by subtraction or whatever you were or phrase you want to use pieces exactly. So we don't know what would have happened had Steven Jackson showed up and qualified to be on that team. Uh. And Miles was a big factor obviously, but he had a great run. To me, the MVP of that whole team was mis Mike Bibi because he had a great run too over a longer period of time. Miles had that final four n Jason Terry, I mean, they're all the Sometimes if you don't you believe in baseball gods. I believe in basketball gods. I just believe in sports gods. And how old are you in ninety seven? Two?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Two? Okay, So you'd have to kind of go through it to say I can't believe this is happening, but believe it's happening. And in my mind, having covered all those teams and written a few books, and I swear to this till the day I die. You poove Arizona. You tell Arizona they cannot do it. They come through, You tell them that they it'll be easy. They poop the bed because it happens all the time. Ninety eight better team than ninety seven to them, Tell them that they're going to bet Utah easy, Oh we got this, get their ass kicked. Yeah, I mean so many times it happens. I think the apples to apples one was in two thousand and one when they lost to Duke in the finals. But Arizona was handicapped with Gilbert and with Luke, and they didn't They weren't fully we equipped the beat Duke. Could they have had that not happened? I think so.
Speaker 4: But to me is by far of the most talented team Arizona is ever, without question, out question nine.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want to say, and I say this publicly, that's the best team in the history of Arizona basketball. Yeah nine, with eighty eight being probably second to me in my mind. Yeah, yeah, no, and that's I think that same conversation. And obviously this team didn't win it all, but you just look on the run that they went on the Derek Williams team and he broke his hand and he had to miss a couple of games and didn't really have that big of a role.
Speaker 4: Those guys started to step up, they started to gel in their roles despite that, right, yeah, yeah, And then they went on this great run to the Elite eight. Could it probably beat Yukon if one shot goes in there, one shot goes in there, who knows what would have happened. But do they have that moment with how Derek Williams getting hurt and having to gel without.
Speaker 2: You'll never know problem, but I'm sure you enjoy what happened with him. Yeah, in ninety seven, there were so many things that happened that didn't happen or have you know whatever vice person Bibby had to grow up, prediction had to grow up without Miles there. And then Miles shows up and the dynamic saying that take me off the bench or move me to the bench, and I have to do that. So the roles and they were still mediocre, fourth or fifth in the conference, and they just caught fire. I mean, they just did. They wanted to me to my point of telling them that you can't and they will or whatever. South Alabama they wanted there because they were on the verge of losing again in the first round until they didn't.
Speaker 4: And then every every game, every game was very close.
Speaker 2: Kansas Sweet sixteen called the Charleston North Carolina, but the previous one was in between Providence over time after having a big lead, you know, and then North Carolina and then of course Kentucky. I mean, things fall into place for a reason. You know, you'll meet your your wife eventually at some point you didn't imagine and you'll say, Steve, dammit, why did I go there?
Speaker 4: I'm not going down that road. But could keep fisher that what 'tate blame it.
Speaker 2: Ray bought me that drink, she said next to me. The rest of history. But you know, that's just how things happened. You just do. Look at football ninety eight. Come on a pretty good football team, right and then the suspended game it's played later u C l A. Miami or whatever it was, and yeah, Ano they're out on a flukey type of situation and and a lot of stuff happened that year. The leap by the Lake and the odds of you completing that player one hundred and one million to one. And then the u c l A game, Trohn Canada goes down entering the fourth quarter, and I believe, wasn't it Chris mccalliser was suspended for that game. Part of that game to your best players are out of that game, you get blown out in the fourth quarter, you'd be u c l A. You don't, you don't need that, but you know, things that happened are out of your control.
Speaker 10: Right right.
Speaker 2: There was one other one I was going to bring up. Just so many, just so many. There's so many in Arizona's history in terms of doing more than just expect, doing more than you expected, then losing with a pretty good darned team. Thatty eight was one of them.
Speaker 4: Well, last again, pretty good darned team and it turned out to be no. But last year. The expectations of the football program entering the year right ranked in the top twenty. Everybody expected you, Yes under Brennan, everybody expected you there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so okay, so realistic or not, I'm just saying yes, okay, so where did the where did the first misstep happen?
Speaker 4: I think the first like uh oh, this was all going to fall apart was when Raymond Palito quit football or whatever whatever happened with that, and then J Cory Krofsky Merrit had his eligibility.
Speaker 2: Totally and he was I totally agree with.
Speaker 4: Those things hit within the first three weeks of the season, and after that it was like, okay, where do you go? And then it kind of just spiraled.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, the running back, I think you hit it on the head, Polluta. We don't know how good you would have been, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, he would have been better than what they were rolling out and what they were for because you you had to force a true freshman and that's still a mission. Well red shirt freshman, that's still a mission. It is it is, But I mean, is it a real mystery? Could he have been healthy? That's the question? His health is true question. But Okay, Rhino doesn't have to play left tackle as a red shirt freshman. You move him to right tackle, you know, and he blew out his you know, he hurt his knees, So who knows. I mean, there's a lot of factors that went in on On in that season.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, but you're right with the running back, we had him on. You had a good kid, obviously, very talented, but that was a huge blow I think to the program.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the rest of the running backs they were very good number twos. Nobody in that room was the number one.
Speaker 2: We Sawsky merit and that would have given Noah some relief the backfield decisions stuff like.
Speaker 4: That, because they built that group off of what cross Kymeric could do and it just didn't work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, circumstances of an answer are crazy, you know, baseball two, I'm sure softball number of things. You know, Arizona wins their fourth straight NCAA title or fourth or fifth back in the day in the nineties, when UCLA uses that, Tanya.
Speaker 4: Oh that well that yeah, I mean they three petd twice with one gap year with an outwall.
Speaker 2: For and they don't get credit for winning that thing. And she was what older or not she was an ineligible player from Australia. That's fine, Yeah, Tanya Hardy. You know, certain things happen for a reason or no, you know, unknown reasons.
Speaker 4: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: It'll be good.
Speaker 4: Uh it a minute or so yeah, pretty much real quick.
Speaker 3: Jaden Parker committed, So I think that's like the fourth or fifth coming high school today looks like what's going on.
Speaker 4: I mean, you just have those official visits not too long ago, so people are wrapping those up. I know they're gonna have more official visits. But the month of June and July, you're gonna see a lot of commitments across the country. UCLA I think got like five in the last twenty fi kids.
Speaker 2: These kids getting paid.
Speaker 4: It depends on the kid getting paid. Some of them are give me a figure. So from what I was told, and I'm not obviously source wise in terms of how the athletic department at the university was run at least during Brennan's first year, I don't know how true it is. Inaccurated is this year every player on the fifty three man roster had a base of let's say, again, I forget the real number, but let's say twenty five thousand, and if you're doing well, if you're you know, kicking butt, okay, seventy five thousand for a guy like Noah and t Mack who got you know that that money from the booster and kind of spread it out to the team. Yes they did have more, but they spread it out. So it was comp not only being on the roster you got paid, but compensation for your your your worth and play on the field. So it does fluctuate, but everybody on the fifty three man roster at the time was getting a percentage.
Speaker 2: I'm not tired of you yet. You got to go. Thank you. What's against tomorrow