Speaker 1: Welcome to the Guant Debet Podcast. I am your host, Trevor. How's going everybody. Thank you to everyone who reached out to me worried that I was quitting the show. You had good reason to worry, because I basically said as much. But I think I think I'm gonna hang in there. I think, you know, I think, when it comes down to it, I do enjoy doing the show. I might just do it a little less frequently, but I think I'm gonna keep doing it because I feel like, and you've told me as much, my core one hundred, my critical mass of listeners. I think the show fills some niche niche, niche niche that needs to be filled. It's I don't think a lot of people live in this niche. I think it is a small audience of people who fit this the particular offerings of this show. But I do think it is an underserved group speaking from experience, looking for content oop sorry, looking for content to sort of satisfy my curiosities. So we're gonna keep it going. But yeah, if you know someone, maybe yourself or maybe another podcast you listen to, If you know somebody that you think just has the gift of GAB and would enjoy contributing to a show like this. Let me know, email me, because I think we could benefit from a co host. I don't know. I've done it both ways. I've done shows with co hosts, and I've done this show. There's pros and cons to both. Maybe we can mix it up have some guest co hosts every once in a while. I don't know. Anyway, I had kind of a cool experience today. I don't want to pat myself on the back too much, but one of the folks in the discord, we do have a discord. I always forget to pace the link in the show description. I'll try to remember today. There aren't many people in there. Most of the people there migrated there from the Brothers of the Serpent Discord. I did an interview with them. Probably my most watch interview was with them on YouTube on physics and consciousness and neuroscience. Anyway. So there's maybe like ten fifteen twenty people there. And this particular individual very not in like a malicious way, but just very not Christian, you know. And of course I have total respect and appreciation for having doubts, you know that you arrive to on like a cognitive basis. I don't like atheists or atheists for emotional reasons, you know what I mean, like childish, petulant reasons. But to be fair, I felt I've gone through those stages too, so maybe I should be kinder. But but if you're just sitting there like where is he? You know, like show yourself. You know, there's so many good movies with that line with someone just screaming at the sky like why, like what does it all mean? What's the lesson? You know, what's the point? The nihilistic existential angst so many of us feel. I totally get it. So you know, I'm just barely I just barely have that part of my life in the rear view mirror. So I'm certainly not want to judge. But he text or he messaged me on Discord today and I don't even know if he listens to the show, but he said, hey, what's a good Bible translation? And I was like, oh, buddy, here we go. And he assured me he wasn't becoming a Christian. He's like, I'm not I'm not becoming Christian. I just I just want to see what it says, you know. But honestly, that's that's the rational perspective to have. It's like, well, what does it even say? What what is this thing that I reject even say? You know? Anyway, so I thought that was pretty cool. So I started I started like getting all the into all these nuances about, you know, Protestantism versus Catholicism. I was like, hey, you know, most Bible translations are Protestant translations, so I that's fine, unless you want the dudeo canon, then you might want to get a Catholic or an Orthodox Bible. And he also wants like the Book of Knock and stuff, so I was like, should probably just buy those separately. And he's like, what's Protestant? Does that mean Catholic? And I'm like, oh boy, I forget how much of the stuff I'm recently interested in is not common knowledge, you know. And so I was like, no, Protestant just means you're not Catholic. Basically, it means you're in protest like you're trying to reform the Catholic Church. There's this Protestant Reformation in the sixteenth century with Martin Luther nailing the Theces to the door. Anyway, I quickly realized that was just all too much information, So I said, get the NIV. You know, there's a ton of scholarly consensus around it. It's easy to read or get the English Standard version. Now there's like all sorts of problems with the English Standard version, but it's readable and so like, I don't know, I think that's maybe the most important thing anyway, which brings me to my next topic. Well, two points on that one. That was kind of a good encouragement for me to keep doing the show because I think that that's we're talking to, like the kind of person who can listen to a neuroscientist talk about consciousness for two hours, but also kind of curious about, you know, the last two thousand years of Christian history, because it's this is the civilization we're in, you know, we're in the Western world. It gave us hospitals and universities and just safe society and cathedrals and arts and the Enlightenment. Like like what it's not cool to just hate your culture. I mean, this is something we've been poisoned with for so long. You know, going to elementary school in the nineties, it was like everything was bad, Like we're oppressors. We're colonizers, we're dirt bags, you know, we we just are need to repent for the sins of our ancestors. And like it's just it sucks. That's a terrible way to live. I think we should learn from the past, acknowledge our mistakes and try to do better. You know, just do the next right thing. That's a frozen that's a Frozen two quote. But hey, listen, Disney gets it right. Sometimes just do the next right thing. You know, evil means or good means, never justify evil actions. So and just do the next right thing. And so I think part of that is knowing, like knowing the history of Christianity. To me, it's fascinating. And so that's point one. So I'm gonna keep doing the show. We're going to keep talking about consciousness, physics, neuroscience, and God because I think, what do all these things have in common. It's a quest for the truth. And if you think God is truth, then these things sort of should converge. And that's been my experience. I mean, everything I learned about science to me points to the truth of some rule maker, some system builder. I think what happens is people confuse Christians with Christianity with Jesus Christ. And so that's kind of this I want to get into today because I've been having some long text based theological arguments with one of my best friends, who is He lives across the country now, but he is a Seventh Day Admonist. And Adventists are like a week kind of a strange breed because they don't really fit neatly into any category, you know, which I think they're probably proud of and maybe they should be. They're, you know, pretty literal readers of the Bible. They have a lot of views that are controversial, but I think are kind of kind of makes sense, you know, if you just pick up the passage and read it, which is cool. But they don't really fit into like the Protestant framework, you know. So we've been having a lot of debates. It's been interesting, and I've been reading a lot about church history. I don't know how you can't be fascinating with this. I mean, it's got everything. It's got Rome, you know, it's got knights, King Arthur's in there somewhere somehow. You know, it's just got it all. Man. We've got war and just crusades, and counsels, and how could you not be into that? And if you claim to be a Christian, like, how can you not Why wouldn't you care about you know, the first Christians? What do they do? What did they think? You know? So I thought we kind of get into that. I thought we kind of tell maybe like a history of everything, a history of Christendom in fifteen minutes, which will be kind of a difficult to ask and listen. I'm no historians, so please write in if you disagree, if you agree, And I think the best way to tell this is to sort of do so in a way that leaves us with some understand standing of the state of Christianity today, you know, the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, the Protestants, mainline Protestism versus Evangelicalism, you know. And so that is that is the goal. And I meant to have a clip queued up, but that's okay, we'll get to that in a little bit. So I think let's just start. We should probably just start with I think really what we should talk about is how the Bible got here, because one of I think the key differences between Protestants, especially including like non denominationals and Evangelicals and Catholics and Orthodox, which will sort of put in one group for now, is the Protestants sort of treat the Bible like a supernatural object. You know. I've even heard Catholics go so far as to say they make an idol out of the Bible. And the Catholics have a very different view. They almost don't treat the Bible as if it were inerrant, which is interesting. That's kind of shocking to a Protestant. Again, I'm not a Catholic. This is just I'm doing my research, doing my research, but that is kind of some that's appealing to someone like me who you might come across something in the Bible where you're like, I don't know, you know, kind of seems like a contradiction or it doesn't seem morally consistent, and of course you don't want to read it through you know, your modern lens, but you know the idea that this is basically this is what happens. You'll ask a Protestant to explain something they believe and you'll say, well, because it's in the Bible, and it's like, do you then, But that's the extent of their understanding. It's like well, where did the Bible come from? And they're like, well, came from God. And it's like okay, but you know, I mean, let's be real, like where did it actually come from? And that might sound like you before before I started learning about Catholicism and Orthodoxy, Like to me, I felt like that was like an anti Christian perspective to say something like that. But something I've really enjoyed recently is learning like, no, you can be you can be a real person, like you can have real questions and you can lean on history and not everything is supernatural. I mean, that's one of the interesting things I'm learning about Orthodoxy and Catholicism is that you really just have to believe in the one supernatural thing, which is that an aspect of the Triune God, the creator of the universe, stepped in to his creation two thousand years ago. And if you can believe that, everything else is an extension of that, right like the miracles who performed the resurrection, this is all an extension of the fact that he's God incarnate. And if you believe that, that's really all you need to believe. Everything else is an extension of that. You don't need to believe you don't need to have like amnesia when it comes to history. You don't need to ignore archaeology, and you don't have to come to like crazy conclusions about the shape of the earth and the age of the Earth and stuff that's sort of like loosely implied in the Bible, because you're not treating the Bible like the supernatural object. And I kind of like that. That's appealing to me. Now, I don't know call that what you will, but let's explore why I think that's okay. Why I think you can feel that way about eighth century Moses. Maybe perhaps that's the belief started writing what we call the Old Testament as Christians, and he's writing about things that happened, you know, thousands of years earlier in some parts of the Bible, and things that happened in his lifetime and other parts of the Bible. And for the stuff that happened thousands of years ago, he's leaning really heavily on older texts. Now, this can make people uncomfortable if you're a Protestant, because I think the Protestant view is like he's literally channeling God when he writes. And I'm open to that okay, But I'm also open to the idea that.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: He has some connection with God and he will writing things based on his real divine experiences, but that he is also giving some like historical context based on older source material, you know, like like Genesis. Specifically, much of Genesis, like it or not, is some retelling of older texts. You know, this call him the Sumerian texts, which are maybe what four thousand years older, no, three thousand years older, something like that, two thousand years older, somewhere in that range. You know, the civilization that invented writing, the first real civilization that we know of. How cool that we have a story from that civilization, the first civilization anyway, and that there's a whole week could go, We could spend a year talking about all that stuff, you know, on an Aki and leol Anki, all that. But certainly there is a retelling of that sort of I would say a correction of that. You know, it's presented in what Moses and the Jews would call it the correct way, and this is information that's divinely inspired, right, Okay, So then we have a series of profits Jewish prophets and this divine revelation gets recorded and texts all the way up into like the second century or third century somewhere in there, and then we kind of have a period which sometimes called the Intertestamental period or the period of silence, where there is no new there are no new profits. And I think this is kind of cool, you know, I think this is cool that we have this religious authority that would benefit from their being profits, so they have every incentive to identify and record new books, you know, but they don't. Just apparently there's no divine revelation. It's kind of interesting until the coming of the Jewish Messiah, Jesus Christ. And so Jesus comes, we don't. I mean, we have a sort of an interest. We know a bit about his childhood, not a time, but we know a lot about his ministry on earth, which lasted for about three years or so, maybe from about the age of thirty to thirty three. Then he's crucified, he resurrects, he spends I think like fifty days if I have this right, with the apostles, you know, the people he chose to help him spread his message. He assents to heaven or maybe he sends to heaven sooner anyway, at some point, I think fifty days after the Resurrection, the Holy Spirit descends on the apostles and it gives them abilities they're basically they have. They're able to do things that Jesus did. You know, They forgive sins, they perform miracles, they can speak in whatever language they need to speak in. That's pretty amazing. This is a misinterpretation of this passage is where we get like Pentecostal churches speaking in tongues, you know, like anyway, So we get that and that's basically it. Then the you know, over the next three hundred years, Rome goes from this, you know, pagan polytheistic, a sort of sex obsessed state, to the Holy Roman Empire, still probably equally sex obsessed, right, human beings are followed, but we get the Holy Roman Empire, we get the Catholic Church. Now there's a lot that happens in that period. You know, you get persecutions of Christians. Christians are getting their eyes pulled out, They're getting fed to lions if they won't sacrifice a chicken to Apollo or whatever. So there's immense persecution. Christians aren't hiding, they're communicating with letters to one another, and much of those letters are in the New Testament. And so the question is, okay, where the Bible come from. Well, the Bible wasn't really put together as such until much later, until like the time of Constantine, who made Christianity legal, which was a big deal that Christians could come out of hiding. Some of them are like missing hands, Like some of the first bishops are like missing hands, you know. And there's this like tradition of martyrdom where you know you're going to get burned alive, but you refuse to recount your faith. I mean, it's pretty amazing, right, pretty freaking amazing. And there's a series of Catholic counsels and stuff, and then we get the Bible. So Protestants sort of view all this as like, I don't know, like not happening, Like there doesn't seem to be like a rich historical knowledge base amongst most of the like Evangelicals. It's funny because like mainline Protestants don't like to include evangelicals, but we're gonna just say everyone who's not Catholic or Orthodox, but we would still call Christian, so like not not Mormons, not scientologists, We'll call them Protestant, Okay, because they sort of reject Rome or they reject the Apostolic Uh, we got to start to finding some of these words. I'm getting. This is my first time talking about this, so I'm not practiced. It's not like talking about neuroscience for me. So anyway, they kind of view this in a vacuum. They're like, why do you believe that? Well, the Bible says, so it's like, okay, now, let's contrast that with Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Both the modern Catholic Church and the modern Orthodox Church, they view themselves as the Church of the Apostles. You know. Jesus instructs, he says He's building a church, you know, and it's a very controversial line. He says to Peter, he'd renames Simon Peter, which means rock, and he says, upon this rock, I will build my church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it. And you know, that's a cool that like that bar goes hard if you're living in fifty a d. But to be living in twenty twenty six AD and the fact that the Catholic and Orthodox Church just still exists today and basically practice the same thing as the Apostles. It is pretty amazing, it really is. I mean, you can't say that about any other religion. I well, maybe I don't know about like Buddhism or Hinduism, but I mean Judaism has radically changed over the last two thousand years. Maybe radically is a stretch, but we have like a anyway, we'll set that aside for a second. Islam is only, you know, twelve hundred years old, and there's a million different factions. Protestantism is only five hundred years old and there's a million different factions. You know, some people have trans women preachers marrying to dudes, which I'm not making any political statements right now, but it's obviously very different. It's new, it's modern, it's progressive. But Catholics and Orthodox they basically do the same thing. I mean, I'm not saying that means anything. It's just interesting. It's it's interesting anyway. So we have that statement. He makes his statement Catholics and Orthodox believe they are the actual continuation from that church, and the fact that there's two different groups making the same claim actually is not a contradiction. Because the way it works is they have a written record of you know, if you're a bishop, who made you a bishop? Right, there's this idea in the Bible of you lay hands and you need to be careful who you choose to become your disciple, your Christian disciple, and you actually lay hands on them. And I don't know the details, but it's a ritualistic thing. They have a documented chain of people of bishops going all the way back from current day to the disciples of the disciples, all the way back to what we would call the the patriarchs, the church fathers. It's pretty cool. So it's a historical claim. Now a single guy could make disciples of multiple people, right, So it's it's okay that this has branched off a little bit. And in Catholics and Orthodox they sort of recognize the validity of one another. They recognize their apostolic claims. They just have different views, like Orthodox priests can get married, which I think is a good thing. You know, personally, A slight detour on that. Excuse me, let me take a sip of water. This is why I normally play clips. It gives me a chance to take a break hold on. So I was watching an interview and it was a gay, pretty fairly young man, like maybe twenty two gay guy who was a Catholic and isn't anymore. I don't know if he's an atheist or a Protestant or with the dealers, but he describes his like knowing from a fairly young age that he was attracted to men, and sitting in the Catholic church and realizing he would not again, who knows if you're reflecting on how you felt when you were ten, this is sort of a story you tell yourself. You know, it's informed by your memories, but you know, who knows? Anyway, Sorry, I'm typing in. I can't multitask. It's a curse. Okay. So he's sitting in church and he's realizing like, oh, I will never be able to have sex with a man, which is what I would like to do. That's my inclination. So my only option is to become a priest because they're celibates, and so that this is the way that I can live a life that is not since And the guy he was talking to is also a Catholic, and he was like, great, yep, totally totally like well tread path like, yep, we totally that's how it works, you know, And I was like, oh boy, I don't know if I like that. You know, like, hey, listen, I'm not like saying you should necessarily act out on your gayness or whatever. I'm not making I'm not saying anything. Don't send me any emails. I'm just In science, we would call this enriching for something like if you're recruiting a study population and you want everyone to have a certain genotype, you would enrich you would select people with that genotype. I don't know if you want to like select your priests, like, I don't know if you want your priest class to be like enriched for homosexuality, you know, specifically repressed sexual maybe of any kind. It doesn't even necessarily need to be repressed homosexuality, just repressed sexuality in general seems I don't know, it kind of seems like a recipe for trouble. But you know, fortunately we've never had any scandals about homosexuality and the Catholic Church, so I listen, obviously a joke. I think maybe the Catholics get beat up a little bit too much. Now, listen, Don't get me wrong, Like some of the scandals that have happened are horrible and people should be punished to the fullest extent of the lie. I just I don't know if it's always necessarily good to like attribute fallen men, like attribute their crimes to the institution. But in this case, I think it is sort of like a natural consequence of having celibate priests. So I don't know. Anyway, the joke is, you know, the only place more dangerous for a child than a Catholic school in terms of molestation, and the answer is a public school because actually there the rates of you know, sexual crimes in public school is actually higher than in Catholic schools. So but what you would want as a Christian institution would be for that number to be basically zero, right, So it's uh, I mean, obviously you wanted to be zero. I'm sorry, I'm just saying, like, but still it is less than what is norm and that's because predators go where the praise and I think they should all be put in a rocket and launched it to the sun. So don't misunderstand me anyway. So that was a weird tangent. So I'm just saying I kind of like the fact that Orthodox priests marry wives. You know, I think that's more natural. Anyway, how do I get on this topic?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, But they recognize each other. They just have these little differences, you know about like the priests, about the pope. The Orthodox don't have a pope. They have like a a brotherhood of bishops. You know, there's no like king pope. And they have a magisterium, which is like a they get together, they meet and they decide how to interpret scripture and stuff. Anyway, Protestants look at that and they say that's all bad. You know, this is all bad like and they have specific they have little things like you know, the Catholics changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, which isn't actually true. Catholics believe the Sabbath is Saturday. But the first Christians, even in the Book of Acts in the Bible, would break bread which is a euphemism for the Eucharist on Sunday, which they called the Lord's Day because that's when the Resurrection happened. Anyway, they say that's not biblical. This is more that's more of an adventist thing. The pope is not biblical, even like baptism and the Eucharist. They've got all of these things, a long list of critiques, and the Catholic response is, well, where do you get this from? Where do you get these beliefs from, to which the Protestant would say, obviously the Bible. And I actually think it's okay to treat the Bible that way. It's okay if you want to treat the Bible like this inerrant inspired thing, as if the writers are like literally channeling God when they wrote, That's okay. But I think then you also need to treat the tradition that produced the Bible the same way. And what was the tradition that produced the Bible Apostolic secession, So you know, one apostle made an apostle, decades go by, that apostle makes an apostle, and there's sort of an oral tradition, because keep in mind, this stuff wasn't written down until maybe you know, fifty to one hundred years after the Resurrection, and then there was two hundred years of persecution, and then we get to the formation of the Catholic Church, and there's a ton of books, a ton of books that are claimed to be scripture, like the Gospel of Thomas, for example, Now, Protestants would reject the Gospel of Thomas as heretical. But then you got to say, well, where do you get that from. You can't say you get it from the Bible, right, The Bible doesn't say the Gospel of Thomas is a false gospel. Right, You get that from the Catholic Church. You know, the Apostolics, secession of the Catholic Church, the council that decided what was canonical. Anyway, maybe that's an overstatement, that's just how it looks from an outsider looking in. But I think even you can use the Bible itself to sort of discredit the claim that the Bible is like literally a divinely inspired text, because the New Testament just does not read that way. That is not what the New Testament is. I think you can say the authors and the characters in the New Testament are perhaps guided by God, by the Holy Spirit, but they are not literally like channeling God. They're not recording God's word necessarily. Now it's different if we're talking about like the Gospels, where people are literally writing down what Jesus said, right, And I think you can just you can sort of prove that just by the way it's written like most of the New Testament is letters between churches. These are just people writing things down, mostly Paul, but even like Luke. I've got my I've got my ESV here on the desk. This is the first paragraph of Luke. And as much as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me, also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write and orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught. All right, So what does this mean? This Luke? Luke is literally saying, listen, I wasn't there, but I'm deeply interested in this topic. And he might even be sponsored by this guy, because keep in mind, writing was not like a simple thing in this time. You needed money to write. I mean this you would write on the animal skins or papyrus quick tangent. I mean when he found the dead sea sculls, they would DNA test the animal hides. That this text was written on the ones that were written on text or on you know textile like pay you know, skin or papyrus, and they would match all the fragments that like came from the same animal together because the assumption was like these were written at the same time and are probably we should match. So it's pretty cool. Anyway, took a lot of money, took a lot of money and a lot of work. So someone probably sponsored Luke to do this, and some people think that might have been Theophilus, and people don't know who he is. He could have been a Roman. I mean, he's referred to by Luke as most excellent Theophilus, so he could have been like a Roman authority. It could have been a Jewish high priest who was converting to Christianity, and so he was. He was a physician. We think he was a traveling companion of Paul, and so he's basically wandering around interviewing people we think, you know, reading texts, and he compiles the Gospel according to Luke. So even Luke is being very pragmatic about what this is. And of course Matthew is the same way. He's an eyewitness, he's a biographer. He's writing what he saw. He's like a journalist. We don't know who wrote Mark John. We think was written by John the Apostle, So perhaps another Eyewitness Acts was written by Luke, and almost everything else was written by Paul. So the point is like that these are not prophets, okay, these are just these are men who saw something incredible, some of them and others who heard something incredible or who saw like a divine apparition of Jesus who spoke to them like Paul. And the only thing that gives I guess this is my point. The only thing that could make in my opinion, the Bible inerrant is if this Apostolic secession were also inerrant. You know, I don't know how you can say the Orthodoxy and Catholicism is silly. Who cares about history? History doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is this book. And it's like, well, this book is a product of four hundred years of you know, Apostolic secession, persecution, smuggling texts and like underground networks and the Romans. We're trying constantly lighting christian you know, like book repositories on fire. You know, a lot of this is oral tradition, and so anyway, I just think it's kind of a kind of a we I think Protestants. The quote is, you know, to be a Protestant is to cease to care about history. And I think there's something to that. Man. I think I think if you love history, like if you view history as real, which like these are real things that happened. Jesus really walked on water, and people really saw it and really wrote it down and really told their friends about it, and they really passed this tradition on and they really were you know, meeting at night to avoid the Roman authorities, and you know, pulling money together to buy papyrus and you know, find someone who knew how to write Greek and write it down, and you know, find sponsors like Theophilus to sponsor a trip through you know, I don't know, I don't know where he went. But if you like, if you really think that really happened, then how then how can you not like take this seriously that there are these two churches who claim to like be the product of that the series of historical events. You know. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I think, you know, I think Protestantism they just have a different view. It's like, well, none of that really matters, you know, because this is like a spiritual world and their spiritual warfare, and you know, we just believe that this is like a spiritual manifestation of God's word. By this, I mean the Bible, and I think there probably is an aspect of that that's true. I don't know. I just I to me, it feels like Protestantism. Man, I'm really making enemies today. I don't I'm not even baptized, so I don't know. It's up to you whether or not you want to take me seriously. But to me, it's just like it's a type of pride, Like you don't want to submit to an authority. Now I get it, there's only one authority and that's God. But even the Bible talks about, you know, submitting to theropriate authorities on earth. That Paul writes a lot about this about you know, about yielding to the bishop, right, your bishop, Because I think, I don't know, I just I think what happens is you sort of make an idol of your own interpretation. And you see this all the time. You see this with people who are just like really obsessed with certain like nuances of the Bible, you know, like my I got my buddy who's a flat earth and I know another flat earther, And it's like, well, the Bible says the Gospel spread to all four corners of the earth, and the the Bible is an errant, it's infallible. And it's like, well, clearly that's just a figure of speech, you know, Like I don't I don't think they're making like a geographical claim. You know, first of all, there's clearly more than four corners of the continent is in one giant square. There's you know, seven continents. So like or like the you know, the firmament thing and the waters above the waters below space is fake. It's like, to me, this is what happens. This is what happens when you make an idol out of words. You know, words are symbols, but they came from somewhere. They came from real people, real people who who I believe, saw something real and wrote it down. But that doesn't mean that those individuals are inerrant, are infallible. It kind of comes down to this because like Catholics will claim that the pope can't teach infallibly and that's really offensive to them. But I think they're kind of doing the same thing with the Bible because they're not really saying the Bible is infallible. They're saying their specific interpretation of the Bible is infallible. And the reason you know this is true is there's Protestants who think different things. Lutherans believe in infant baptism, Others believe baptism is just like an optional outward symbol. Some people eat the you know, the grape juice and the little crackers, some people don't. Some people really you know, the Catholics take it very seriously. The Orthodox take it very seriously. Like I think that is one of the things that is appealing about the Orthodox is like they take the super In the Catholics, they kind of do a quick tandent quick break. I'm referring to like the official teaching, like the best a version of these religions. Because there's a Catholic church on the street and I just googled it to see like what it looks like inside, and all the pictures they had like a like like a giant like almost like a pinata style like thing on an easel, and it was a Raider's logo, and I don't under I don't know the context, like it was just a giant Raiders and it's like, okay, yeah, not. You know, when I say Catholics, I don't mean every random Catholic. I just mean, you know, everybody their best. You know, they do seem to like the Orthodox are a little bit more mystical about it, Like they it's very serious, like there's no fog machines, there's no rock band, there's a priest and the crazy get up with like bread that they like actually think has the essence of the body of Christ in it. And it's like, okay, say what you will about that, but it's like it's it is serious, and it's consistent, and it's two thousand years old. I don't know, it's kind of cool so to say, well, none, none of that matters. And the book that that group produced is completely infallible. It's like, I just don't feel like you can have it both ways. You know, it doesn't. I don't know if it makes sense. And I think one of the like the fruits of this of like maybe making an idol of your own interpretation of the Bible is stuff like flat earth and Young Earth creationism. So I'm gonna play a clip. Tell me what you think. This is Trent Horne. I don't know what I think about him. Listen, I got I got issues with the Catholic I actually think a lot of people become atheists because of anti Catholic arguments. Like I remember listening to like Zeitgeist and all the anti Catholic arguments of the nineties, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, Christianity is done. Like you don't really separate Catholicism from Protestantism because Catholicism was the first church. You know, you learn from the da Vinci Code that that the Council of Nicee I made the Bible and they took all the they all the cool stuff out and they just used it to maintain power and authority, and it was all political and you go, yeah, forget it. So I think that is one thing that Protestants don't realize they're doing with all the anti Catholic stuff. But I will admit I kind of do share some of the skepticism about like the Pope and about the saints. You know, I've told the story many times of praying to Saint Anthony for my lost shoe at my Catholic friend's house when I was like eight, So I totally get it. But I also think treating the Bible as like a supernatural object and your interpretation of it as infallible is also has its own proper shoal.
Speaker 4: We're discussing the legend of Saint George the dragon Slayer, and at one point Hall claimed that medieval depictions of dragons were actually depictions of dinosaurs that survived Noah's flood. Other Young Earth creationists also claim to have evidence of dinosaurs living among human beings quite recently that allegedly disproves evolution. And today I'm going to talk about why that's a bad argument that Catholics shouldn't use because of the harm it can cause. First, I want to address something Hall and Marshall said about Catholic answers and the theory of evolution.
Speaker 2: If I were on a Catholic interest thing and I was like, hmm, you know which question infant baptism, Like yo, let's talk about that, you know, or let's talk about you know. But if you say, if you come in, you're like, theistic evolution is false, Like they get kind of dogmatic about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, if Marshall just said evolution is false, we wouldn't be dogmatic about it. Some Catholic answers staff members might agree with him and others might disagree. But if he said the church teaches theistic evolution is false, then I will be very dogmatic because that's not what the church teaches. I want to make it clear that the Catholic Church does not have a teaching about the theory of evolution or the extinction of the dinosaurs. You can be a faithful Catholic and deny or accept the theory of evolution. You can be a faithful Catholic and believe the Sun revolves around the Earth. The Church doesn't teach on these scientific questions. Now, Hall does say he does not want to dogmatize Young Earth creationism, and I appreciate him saying that. He just asks that people like me, not you, evolution to evangelize.
Speaker 5: No, you cannot evangelize with evolution.
Speaker 4: Evangelism means to share the good news of salvation in Christ, and part of that good news is that a loving God made the world and we can use things the Church does not teach to show that's true. For example, the Church doesn't teach that atomic theory is true and that the universe is composed of four fundamental forces that are finely tuned for our existence. But this can be really helpful improving the gospel truth that God made the world to prove it to an atheist, even though the Church doesn't have a teaching on this. Paul may be referring to this article by chemist Stacy Tresenkos, where she explains what she means by evangelizing through evolution. She writes, we should be evangelizing through science, showing others how the ubiquitous order and beauty and creation from electron orbitals to human life to cosmic galaxies in.
Speaker 1: Real I just want to interrupt. Obviously this is appealing to me in what we do at this show, right, so I think this is cool? Come on, like how like why why would you why would you want to throw out this stuff? You know, Oh, just because just because there's a genealogy between Adam and Jesus that's four thousand years long, we have to throw everything we see or you know, like this is this is applying way too much literalism to like to the creation account, way too much literalism. This is why. I like that it's sort of viewed as mythopoetic by Catholics and Orthodox like it's about something true, but it's not true in the sense like the historical biography is true, or true in the sense that the Gospel accounts are true like eyewitness accounts. It's it's a condensed retelling of events, set of curtive or vast time scales, like we don't have to throw this all away. We don't have to throw the truth away to believe in the truth of the Creator. Like they go together, they fit together. So I just think it's silly to reject all this.
Speaker 4: Huch his faith and points beyond the physical realm. Also, if Hall wants Catholics to not use evolution to try and prove Catholicism is true, I would just ask him to reciprocate, don't use bad Young Earth creationist arguments to try and prove Catholicism is true. Now, this is anything I have personal against him or anyone else. This is just something I see among many more Catholics using these kinds of arguments. And it's concerning because you don't need those arguments to prove Catholicism to a Protestant or a niece and orthodox Young Earth creationist, because those people already believe in a Young Earth. It's other doctrines like the papacy that are the major stumbling blocks for them. But in using these arguments with non really just people, you create stumbling blocks for those who lack and encounter with Christ, the people who truly need the Gospel. This is especially true if you try to convince someone to abandon atheism by saying evolution must be false because we know dinosaurs and human beings lived side by side a few hundred years ago. One way Young Earth creationists argue for this is by pointing to ancient and medieval depictions of creatures that they say are actually dinosaurs, even though modern people would say they're depictions of dragons. I once saw a Catholic Young Earth creationist appeal to the supposed dinosaur of Taprome in northwest Cambodia. One of the reliefs in this Cambodian temple supposedly depicts a stegosaurus that lived among the Cambodians about a thousand years ago, But the only part of the relief that makes this look like a stegosaurus are the alleged flaps on its back, but when you zoom out, you see that these are not flaps. They're decorative pedals that can be found throughout the entire higher relief. If that's what they are, then the creature in question could be an iguana or a rhinoceros because it doesn't have traits unique to Stegosaurus like tail spikes, and its head is.
Speaker 1: Far too small.
Speaker 4: Or it could be a mythical creature because at the bottom of the relief there is a half monkey, half dog mythical.
Speaker 1: Do you see what I mean here? Like why are we going here? You know? And listen, there are Catholics or are Orthodox who do believe this stuff. So it's not really like it's not really a Protestant Catholic thing, But I think it tends to be more of a Protestant thing because Protestants tend to treat again, treat the Bible as a supernatural object that's infallible. And so if sorry, I just had a run downstairs to get groceries, I got a breath. But yeah, so if there's a four thousand year genealogy, then it's the Earth is six thousand years old, right, because or you know, if it's a four corners of the earth, well that means it's flat. And it's like me, maybe you're like assigning too much to these phrases. You know, let's let our actual rational minds that God gave us kind of inform and fill in the gaps. You know, parts of the Bible that are clearly meant to be taken literally, like the Gospels, let's take those literally. But parts of the Bible that don't seem to be meant to be taken literally, let's like use our reason and judgment. Oh and I know, maybe an apostolic tradition that goes all the way back to people who knew Jesus. And think about this, the Apostles, they spent like every waking moment with Jesus first three years. So like this little like tiny little book of Matthew, it just hits the highlights. Like they clearly knew so much and they shared that with their successors, and over time this turns into like a tradition, a way of doing things, And it's that tradition that gave us this book. And you could say, well, it was still through God's will and stuff, Like I totally agree with that. But we don't have to, Like, we don't. We don't have to. What's do you think you guys get what I'm saying, Like, we don't. We don't have to like agonize over like what does it mean waters above waters below? Or what does it What does it mean that there was light before the before God made the sun, or what does it mean that the Bible says the sun and the moon were each their own light? Oh my god, I've had this conversation with my friends so many times. He insists that the moon is not reflecting the Sun's light because the Bibles, what is it? The sun and then are their own light. Let's read it got some NASA propaganda And I'm kidding, Okay, why don't Why does AI just not give me the scripture? Just tell me the Genesis one sixteen. Here you go, Here you go. God made two lights, the greater light to govern the day, in the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. And I read that, I'm like, yeah, this is just a description of the cosmos. It makes sense. The sun has light, the moon has light, the stars produce light. But then like someone like my friend who again treats this like an infallible supernatural object. Is like, well, no, it says God made two great lights. That means the moon is its own light source. It does not merely reflect the sun like bro Like okay, but like explain the phases of the moon and eclipses. And it's like, Nope, I don't need to. I don't need to explain that because I have the ultimate source of truth and everything I could possibly need to know about the world is in this book. And it's like, well, clearly that's not true. I mean, there's it's it's limited. It's the best thing we have. And I take I take it seriously. Don't get me wrong, Like, I take it very seriously, but clear we were meant as rational beings to like explore beyond the context of this book that is only you know, seventeen hundred years old, not even or no, sixteen hundred years old, and was produced by an institution that you claim to hate, you know, the Catholic Magisterium. So I mean, he would say it wasn't produced by them, and he'd be right. You know, it's produced by the authors, but it was compiled by this and books were removed and books were included, like the Book of Hebrews, for example. We don't know who wrote that. A lot of people didn't want to include revelation in the Bible. Martin Luther wanted to take it out during the Protestant Reformation. So like it was decisions made by members and councils of the Catholic Church. That's why the book looks like this. And so I just don't understand. I'm sorry, I'm going to shut up. Clearly this has been on my mind. I hope you find this interesting. It's not my typical wheelhouse, totally out of left field. Let's keep going with the creature.
Speaker 4: This image certainly doesn't prove Stegosaurus has lived among the Cambodians a thousand years ago, especially since no Stegosaurus fossils have been found in Cambodia. This being a mythical creature also explains images of dragons and other creatures found in ancient and medieval artwork. Consider Kennedy Hall's claim that a medieval Chinese dragon is actually a dinosaur.
Speaker 5: This is a picture from the fifteen hundreds. It's a Chinese picture. It's a Chinese picture of what's a dinosaur?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: This is just a you know, something that's in the Annals of History. This is just one example. It's in the Shanghai Museum and it was painted around five hundred years ago during the Ming dynasty, and it's just clearly, I mean, what does that look like. It clearly looks like something like a dinosaur. I mean, you know, and China's not a Christian country and it never really was, so I mean, this can't be chalked up to fundamentalism.
Speaker 4: People in the past also made pictions of creatures like the phoenix or the minotaur, but that doesn't mean that phoenixes or minotaurs really existed. Why not think that this image is also of a mythical creature. The source hall used for the alleged Chinese dinosaur is an article at the Colby Center entitled Historical Evidence for Dinosaur and Human Coexistence. They say it's supposed to be a colophysis, but it barely resembles it. Medieval Chinese artists were able to accurately draw horses, deer, and bears, So why would they give this weird, inaccurate interpretation of a dinosaur. Well, probably because they weren't trying to draw a real animal. In ancient culture's most Mythical creatures are combinations or exaggerations of existing creatures, and that's what we see here. One of the other examples the article gives is Bishop Bell's Behemoths. It says the following. This brass engraving was made over five hundred years ago and decorates Bishop Bell's tomb in England. The two animals depicted are very unambiguous soropods, but were probably known to the locals of the time as dragons. The animal on the left has a tail that ends in a spiked club, just like the soropod shun Asaurus. It's fascinating to consider that these dinosaurs were probably roaming the hillsides of medieval England. First, this looks like two lions or cats fighting. But even if you don't know what these creatures were supposed to be, since they could also just be mythical creatures, we can know what they're not, and they're not giant souropods. For example, Cetiosaurus, a soropod whose fossil was found in England, was almost fifty feet long. If these creatures lived in England until the time of Martin Luther, why didn't anyone write about them. For example, wolves went extinct in England in the seventeen hundreds due to overhunting, and before that they were frequently discussed in medieval literature. One tenth century Anglo Saxon king demanded tribute be paid to him in three hundred wolf skins, and a medieval text called the Anglo Saxon Chronicle describes how January was called wolf Monath, the official month of wolf hunting. And don't be shocked, but absolutely none of these texts describe people hunting giant soropods that were twice as big as a London double decker bus. However, Hugh Owen, the director of the Colby Center, which is committed to promoting Young Earth creationism, says these historical sources do describe dinosaurs in medieval England. He cites the creature Grendel in the tenth century English epic poem Bale Wolf as an example.
Speaker 6: Those dinosaurs that could survive the harsh environmental conditions and were any kind of a threat to human beings or livestock were hunted down. And if you've read the poem Beowulf, Grendel perfectly matches the description of some kind of t rex dinosaur. In fact, Beowulf kills Grendel because he's able to get in close to her and rip one of her little arms out of its socket so that she bleeds to death. And these are not fantasies. Beowulf is talking about historical people, and all over the world we find very accurate drawings, sculptures, mosaics, cave paintings of all different kinds of dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: Okay, First, Grendel is a male, not a female, and Beowulf rips out his arm and kills him before killing Grendel's mother with a sword. Second, it's silly to say that this means Grendel was a t rex with stubby arms, and a human being really killed a Tyrannosaurus Rex in this way. The idea that Grendel was a Trannosaurus Rex attacking seventh century Danish people in real life comes from creationist Bill Cooper's book After the Flood. The problem is that at contra Owen and Cooper, Grendel is not specifically described. In Beowulf. Grendel is said to be a descendant of Cain and that he is larger than any other man, and Grendel's mother is said to be in the form of a woman. There are probably some kind of hominid or human like monster. They definitely were not a pair of t rexes. Other evidence Young Earth Catholics present for human dinosaur coexistence isn't as obviously false as a medieval British Bronosaurus or t rex, but it's still faulty. At this twenty twenty four Colby Center conference, a speaker listed as doctor Kevin Mark gives evidence for dinosaurs and humans coexisting by citing the Piluxi River tracks, which claim to be fossilized footprints of a human and a dinosaur next to each other.
Speaker 3: If it wasn't enough seeing a human footprint or handprint and cretaceous rock one hundred million years old or one hundred and twenty million years old, having it right beside a dinosaur print is very difficult to explain.
Speaker 4: Now shown that the alleged human footprints at the Pluxi tracts only look human because of erosion. This evidence for human dinosaur coexistence is so bad that even other Young Earth creationists have rejected it. Answers in Genesis list it under evidences to be avoided, and back in nineteen eighty six. John Morris, the son of Henry Morris, one of the founders of modern Young Earth creationism, said it would now be improper for creationists to continue to use the Poluxi data as evidence against evolution. So what does this all mean? If you want to believe that the Earth is only thousands of years old and humans coexisted with dinosaurs even just a few hundred years ago, you're free to believe that. If you are not Catholic, and you're also firmly convinced of this, you can keep believing that if you become Catholic, which I hope you do become Catholic. You could also believe a more defensible claim that dinosaurs didn't go extinct a few hundred years ago, but were wiped out right after they got off Oh's Ark. But I do strongly caution you to not make the claim that evolution is false because t rexes lived in medieval Denmark or bronosauruses lived in Reformation era England as an apologetic argument for the faith. At best, this will only reassure other Young Earth Christians who don't need to be convinced God exists, and it will alienate people who think religion is an uncritical fairy tale. Saint Augustine dealt with a similar controversy in his own time when debating pagan philosophers. Here's what he said. It often happens that even a non Christian knows a thing or two about the earth, the sky, the various elements of the world, about the movement and revolution of the stars, and even their size and distance, about the nature of animals, shrubs, rocks, and the like, and maintains this knowledge with sure reason and experience. It is offensive and ruinous, something to be avoided at all cost for a non believer to hear a Christian talking about these things as though with Christian writings as his source, and yet so nonsensically, with such obvious error that the non believer can hardly keep from laughing.
Speaker 1: I think we'll wrap up right. There is that last line that's so important, Like the idea of using Christian writings to make these like crazy claims. It doesn't like you don't win a prize for being like the most literalistic interpreter of a passage. You know, all you do is discredit the writing itself, so it doesn't make any sense, and there's no need. There's no need to do this, Like you don't need to believe that this stuff is meant to be taken a certain way. There are things that you do need to believe to be, like to consider yourself a Christian, but that's not one of them. A young Earth is not one of them. A flat earth is. You can believe in evolution and be a Christian. I mean I think a lot. I just I think it's I don't know how gotten here. Actually I do know how we've gotten here. It is a it is a idolization or a again, like basically the theme of this whole episode. There are Christians that I would say mostly Evangelical Christians, but of course there are Catholics and Orthodox who feel this way too. They've they've they've turned this into like a supernatural object. You know that it actually like holds power. And you see this in people who like like Sean Ryan famously put a Bible under all four corners of his podcast studio, you know, and it's like, this is idolatry. I know it sounds crazy to say that about the Bible, but it's not. It is It is a book. It is a book. The information it contains it's a historical record of our Lord, and therefore it should be taken very seriously. It's it's difficult for me to take someone seriously who treats this like a supernatural object and then just completely rejects the institutions that created it. And again that's that's like a theological argument are probably not prepared to have. And I'm not a Catholic. I don't know what I am. I'm on a search. I think I'm headed in the right direction. And so I think that's what this show is for. I think this show is for people who want to believe that this is actually true. And if it's actually true, it should concord with what you know, we see with our with our eyes, and like what are rational minds tell us, you know, And we don't need to make a similar mistake with science. We don't need to like treat science like a supernatural object that it can answer any question and that it can you know, cure all that ails us and make us a mortal and like, no, no, no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the truth should sort of be like a concordance of these two things. And so when you say the moon is its own light source, Like, but it isn't, you know, So you're putting me in a position to like, are you telling me I have to believe the moon is its own light source in order to take this seriously? That's crazy And I reject that. I reject that interpretation so that I get I think that's where I'm going with this. Thanks for going on this journey with me. One thing I'm left with reading the New Testament, Like, one thing that strikes me is that Jesus didn't actually leave us with the Bible. He left us with apostles. He left us with the church, and those apostles they wrote, and the institution that they founded on Earth put those ridings together. And now you can go on Amazon and you can buy a copy, Okay, And that's pretty amazing. That's I mean, that's pretty amazing. But I'm not going to like draw AsSalt circle on my on my wood floor and like candles and sit Indian style in the middle of it and open this book to a random page because it isn't it's not a what do they what do they call it? Like? What do witches have? What are those called? I don't know, you know, like the spell book or whatever, there's a word for it. Anyway, It's not that's not what it is. It's this is a historical document, and I think it explained things that really happened. But there's parts of it that are biography. There's parts of it that are poetry. There's parts of it that are song like psalms. There's parts of it that are apocalyptic visions, like revelation. Like it's it's not all the same thing. It's not. It's not an encyclopedia, you know. So if you're agnostic, I guess I'm here to reassure you, like you can explore this stuff without abandoning reason, And actually I think that's the only way you should explore it, like take it seriously, you know. So, all right, everybody, Hopefully I did more more good than harm with this episode. I think I did. I got people texting me asking for Bible translations, all right, so cut me some slack, No, I have to say. I don't. I hardly ever get any like pushback from Christians, which I think really breaks the stereotype that most Christians are like rigidly dogmatic finger pointers. At least the Christians in my audience. That's not been the case. Now. I've had push back from atheists and gnostics and people who think, you know, they're inventing new physics with Claude and stuff like. I've gotten angry emails from those people, but not from Christians, which is pretty I think, like that's pretty amazing considering how like open we are on this show about these ideas. So I think if you're harboring a lot of like anti Christian sentiments, I think it's time to re examine those sentiments. Welcome to twenty twenty six. It's a brave new world out there. Rational atheism is sort of waning. People are interested in the deeper meaning of life. What is time to be alive? All right? Everybody email me at God's I view Book at gmail dot com. Until next time, stay safe out there and God bless