Speaker 1: M hm hm.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of Against and Donnett. I'm Jean Clavery, your host, and with me today is our special guest step On Shrines. Welcome, step On, Hey, thanks for having me. Hey, thanks for coming. So I think we're going to talk about source code generators today, but before we get to that, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself, how you got into developed, into development, and what kind of thing do you work on.
Speaker 1: Now As of now, I'm a software developer at Team Sure. Basically full stack developer working on dot net in the back end and also the regular react type stript stack in the front end. Basically I got into development kind of the stayd ut rod so through university, and I also had a tech background in my family. So my dad is to be a system administrator at a local bank, and also my mom is a project manager at the at the same bank, so kind of already a pretty fine puth and so I got into it basically the classic crowd.
Speaker 2: I would say, So some people have doctors in the family, and you're just a family of developers.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah. Basically, Basically I can remember my dad trying to teach me C plus plus and pointers at thirteen didn't quite work out, but I still managed my way somehow.
Speaker 2: Nice. So how'd you get into dot net?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was basically a bit of a wide ride until I got there. So through university. I went to university in a program which is common in Germany, where you spent three months in university and three months at a company, just trying to get some practical experience. And basically I went through the whole cycle of C plus plus phyphon, then your front and developer and some show. But in the end, when I finally picked up my full position, then I got into a net aspn net team and that's kind of where I spent my time so far. Really really like it all.
Speaker 2: Right, cool, So let's talk about source code generators. Kind of have to go back to the beginning of them, just kind of give an introduction of what they are and kind of what they're used for is because you know, I've I've listened to other people talk about it, but they're still very confusing to me.
Speaker 1: Basically, source generators in different I just it's basically a new API which came in with Dotnet five and c sharp nine. So you're probably familiar with a lot of approaches which we'll use ahead of this technology in order to generate source code. So there was a T four so text templating, and then maybe even even earlier we had to set up of having post built and rebuilt steps just trying to generate some some sauce which you can then use within your code. And basically with this new API, it's now possible to actually hook into the compilation cycle of your of your project and kind of also get everything set up without leaving any artifacts, so without fluttering your directory with new files. And actually you can also take advantage of a new thing with these sauce generators, so you can basically hook into the compilation and you actually get the entire past syntax three of your compilation, and you're able to inspect everything in there and generate code accordingly.
Speaker 2: So is it kind of like the T four templates it's something that you use during your development that you're going to spit out some final code for you to put into your project, or is it something that actually can go at runtime.
Speaker 1: It's somewhere in between. So T four, as you already mentioned, it would actually split out code, but you would usually get it in actual cs files depending on what you generate. It's also not quite at one time, it's in between, so it's actually happening in the compilation step. So when you would go ahead and start up your compilation cycle, you would basically start passing your entire code and then at this point the source generator will kick in. You will basically push your code at that point in time so that the past artifact, you would push it to the source generator. The source generator can then analyze it, generate new source code, and this new source code you generate will then go straight back into the compilation and then the compilation will resume and at the end you will obviously get your IL. So you're actually within the compilation cycle, so it's not during other events before or after compilation, but straight within.
Speaker 2: So it's not going to kick out a CS file for you. It's something that kicks out for the run time to pick up and then go from there when you actually run it.
Speaker 1: It's possible to also emit it at a CSFI, but basically it will just be there at run time. The tooling is i would say a bit somewhere in between right now. So if you run this generator once you would usually also get intellicent support within visual Studio for this because at that point and a visual studio can also pick up the generated generated code and you can also use it within your regular development cycle get intelligence and support and whatnot. But you will not have it on disc by default, so it has some varying pooling support. And then it tends to feel like it's actually a source file within your project, but it's not.
Speaker 2: So what kind of be a basic use for it? You know, with with like T four templates and things like that, you're going to you build it and you run it, and then quite often you have to go into the generated code and make some changes to be you know exactly what you want. You know, if this is going to run a compile time, and I guess you really have to get things exactly how you want it before you run that compilation.
Speaker 1: Very varying increase of how you can use this. So for me personally, when I experimented with it, I kind of set up a code based in which I had for example, a specific interface which is inherited by some example classes, and then for example, during compilation, I could use the source generator and create a decorator for all of these classes implementing this interface, which would then maybe maybe log out something or to some additional things which might be common for all of these implementers. So that's maybe one use case. You can generate decorators and other things like that, basically boring stuff you don't want to write everywhere. Some people also use this to generate validation code on the fly based on some metadata, so for example, you put some attributes on your classes or on your methods and you can generate a validation on the fly. I think it's also really used a lot already within aspn net, and some dependency injection frameworks already picked us up because being able to inspect the compilation three on the fly, you can, for example, as a dependency injection framework, instead of relying on reflection at runtime, you can also take a look at the code during the compilation and basically see which losses need which dependency, and instead of generating your dependencies at runtime, you can then already make use of it and have a look at this and during the compilation cycle.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's the first thing to know to get started? You know, writing your first source code generator but there.
Speaker 1: Are basically some constraints right now. The biggest one is probably that the project containing the Sauce generator needs to be Donut Standard two dot zero, so it's not yet on a Net five. That's basically a constraint of how the Rosslyn compiler, which the source generators originally come from, is allowed to run. And then basically you need a set up containing of one project which hosts the generator, and then you will probably want to consume it from another project. So within a project containing the generator, you basically need to import two packages, which is the Microsoft COUTE Analysis c Shop and Microsoft COUDE Analysis Analyzer. And then within the project you want to reference it, you would have the Microsoft dot net dot Compilers dot tool set, a package that will also bring in some intelligence magic. And then basically within the reference to this source generator, you would also have to put some specific text like output item type analyzer, and it's basically a bit of a setup, but that's really much standard. And then once you do that, you can basically just create a glass, put a generator attribute on top of it and make it inherit Thesaurce Generator interface and that's basically it it sounds a bit more complicated than it actually is in the end, so it's actually really easy just taking a look at the dogs and then getting everything set up and then actually it works quite well out of the box.
Speaker 2: So does it take writing a lot a lot of code to get something that's going to generate code for you? And you know sometimes you know you might be spending more time writing the generator than what you spent writing the code itself.
Speaker 1: It depends on the usage, I would say. So basically a source generator it always works in two steps. So there's an initialized method, and within this method you can, for example, register your code to respond to syntax node notifications. So whenever the compiler picks up something new, you would have this event pushed to your sauce generator and you can maybe already analyze all the notes whether they fulfill some constraint. But if you don't need this, and you only decide okay, I just want to generate code, that usually happens in the execute step of the generator, and within there, basically all you have to do is, just as with regular code generation, create a string builder and there you can write your C sharp code and that's it already. So if you don't need any super a special setup, you can just have your string builder create a c shop class and you're good to go already.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is it kind of like using a string builder. You pass in some tokens and things like that you want to be replaced in that string as it compiles, and then that'll kick out the code for.
Speaker 1: You, essentially usually a very clorified string interpulation, and that's basically all there. So that's what you would mostly also end up with.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that makes a lot more sense to me now that I think about it that way. It's just something that's going to basically take a snippet or templative code that you have, and then I guess somewhere in your main code you put you know, like you said, you're use an attribute or something like that to set it, and then in that attribute you pass in the things that are going to replace get replaced in that string builder.
Speaker 1: That's actually the beauty of it. You can basically put anything anywhere, and since you get the complete syntax tree of your program, you can analyze every thing, so it doesn't even have to be an attribute. You can also inspect interfaces, check whether interfaces fulfill a specific name or whether they also implement other interfaces on top. Usually an attribute is a good idea, I would say, because that's especially designed to represent some metadata. So that's a good approach in my opinion. But you're definitely not constrained to attributes. You can mix and match as you want. So basically you have.
Speaker 2: It build a class. That class doesn't exist at the time that you're actually doing your development. So how does the other part of your code know that that's going to be there when you compile.
Speaker 1: That's actually a bit difficult now, So I think I already mentioned that the tooling support can feel a bit off here and there. Usually it might take one cycle of building the source generator, for example visual studio to pick up the generated files at least, and then at least visual Studio can give you a bit of a hand with the generated code and also give you some intelligence on top. But sometimes, for example, if you create a new generator and you never had it run before, then it can feel like you basically want to use that glass, but intelligence just acts as if this would not exist, which it actually doesn't at disappoint So yes, tooling is a bit off, but I hope the visional studio experience, and I personally don't know how it behaves in writer, but I guess they would also have picked it up by now. So that part is usually entirely on the ide and depending on the support, it can feel good or mediocre, but usually you can get by really pretty fine.
Speaker 2: I would say so in that in that string builder, you know, as as you're building that telling it what the code you want to output, can it see into that code that you're building so you can get intelligence and code validation and things like that.
Speaker 1: Not entirely sure, to be honest, I think there's also some tooling in that direction.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you do something like like a razor file, but be be the template of the code that you want to use?
Speaker 1: I think I read up a bit. There are some extensions which also look into solving that problem, but I think out of the boxes is sadly not possible. Not so you would kind of have to know where your classes are because in the end, when you create a string which should then contain like a complete class, you would also have to take care of using namespaces and everything around that. So that's definitely something which feels a bit difficult sometimes because you'll have to remember all of these things, all of these boiler plate things you would also have to add on top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if it did something like in a razor file or something like that, where you could just do all your loops right within the little template to build it all up as the final string that you're trying to replace into your code, that would make it pretty easy to work with. I think.
Speaker 1: In on that end, you can basically also just push a part of your class to the string builder, and then you can fall back to the regularly shop code and just for example, inside a loop which would then continuously append lines to the to the string builder, you're also not constrained to the string builder at all. You can also just use a very big interpolatest string with with the ad at the beginning to make it work across lines, and you're really free to model that however you want.
Speaker 2: Do you find yourself creating these source code generators a lot for different projects? You know, I'm trying to I'm trying to take up a case where you know, I really needed that that much other than like generating entities and things like that, where you know, Visus code Visus Studio is already going to help you out building those, just like a T four templeate does. So when would you use a source code generator and when would you use something right like a T four template.
Speaker 1: I think there's a very big distinction. With T four templates, you're usually constrained to Visual Studio because I think they're much tied to that I d e. And with the software generators, you're actually running within Rosslyn, so within a compiler, so you can also have it running on Linux or wherever you want, So that's a big difference. I would say you're very much free to use it wherever you want. When it comes to actual examples where I used this, So actually I had a use case for this a while ago. So at work, we have an older project. It's C plus plus cli. Maybe that rings a bell. It's it's a bit engined, and basically we have some definitions in there which we wanted to translate to completely manage the code models. And basically I also got started with this by using it as as a post built step, you know, the old wave generating code. But I mean in my case, it was pretty simple colleagues started complaining at some point that I was just generating way too many files with that, because I created a file for definitions and there are quite a lot of them in that project. And then I thought, okay, this might be a good use is for a source generator, and then I did that, and it even worked flawlessly, even if in a dot Net framework code base, so not even if dont five. That's probably more of a convenience thing because there's like no technical reason to have a source generator there. But I think I think I already talked about it a bit. There are some use cases, especially within dot net frameworks, which are very much focused on performance, so ASPNAT is a prime use case for this. They already tried to move a lot of the code which they would usually use reflection for at run time and try to convert it to a source generator, especially if the information they would try to process through reflection is already available at compilation time, just to shape of that extra bit of performance during one time. I think that's a pretty big use case where this is already used a lot.
Speaker 2: So I think people like me, being kind of being old school, the first thing I would go to is just make make a copy of something that I want and then I just copy and paste to make all the little changes and things like that, rather than going to lassole writing a source code generator. Do you really have to get something that really has to be used over and over again? And can you can you write this generator and then share it between different projects.
Speaker 1: That's actually possible. So it's a bit difficult because I think I already mentioned that source code generators are kind of constrained to dot Net standard to zero right now. So that was definitely a bit of a surprise when I started getting into that technology, because, as with any good citizen, I already upgraded my projects to dot Net five at disappoint and I basically wanted to have the generator use some some specific names of some types, and then I noticed you can't reference it from a dot net standard project. You can't add a reference to dot net five. So that was a bit of a shocker. So that's a constraint do you have to keep in mind when you try to share these source generators, But otherwise it's it's definitely possible, and if you already use the new cspproach format. So the one coming in with dot net standard, you would also get this source generator output as a transitive dependency. So, for example, if you have a source generator project which is referenced by another project, and then you would transitively add a reference to that project from somewhere else, you would get these generated definitions everywhere. And that's already a nice way to share it. But besides that, you're also very much free to reference it from somewhere else. That's just one thing to keep in mind because if you reference it from multiple positions in your code, and you reference it in a way which triggers the source generator to actually generate them some source, then it's also pretty easy to end up with double generations and you basically then have two conflicting types because the generator run twice, and that's what you have a new project in the end.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, that's kind of a good gotcha there? So all right, so don't there are two point zero So it's not in net six either.
Speaker 1: Not yet, sadly. Actually, I also reached out to the to the Rossland team on the c sharp discord channel, and as much as I would, they would like to do it. As of now, it seems like they are constrained by the support. So dot net framework projects also support these source generators. So basically, as of now, the best way they can do this is with dot net standard, because you can consume dot net standard from dot net framework projects and dot Net five or dot Net six projects alike. I am sadly not aware of whether there are any plans to also make it possible to reference dot net six projects because that's currently a bit of a paint point. Definitely, if you want to just even if you just want to get a name of the type you would want to check against this compilation three, then it's a of a hassle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm being done in stented two point zero only. You know, I think that could be kind of a discouragement for getting people to start using them. It's a new feature, but if they're not bringing it forward that much, then people go, well, it's probably going to get abandoned and deprecated at some point in time, so why should I use it.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a good point, but basically it's also not as bad as it might sound. So this whole generation step, I think you already talked about how the generation would create a syntax three for you, and you can then analyze the syntax three. It's a bit difference. It's a bit of a difference than with reflection because, for example, with reflection, you would also just go ahead and try to compare types or assemblies, and the syntax tree is basically one layer above, so you're not dealing with types at all, and you would usually just do it with either strings or you actually try to model your sauce generator in a way which can easily work with all of these syntax notes. So it's not as bad as it sounds, to be honest, and usually the benefits kind of outweigh the drawbacks. So I'm also hoping and I'm rooting for some improvements in that regard, especially when it comes to support for neo dot net versions. But as of now, it is also not really big deal to me at least.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so what are the limitations of what you can do what you can't do? So talk about some things that you've learned using them that you would have liked to have known when you first got started.
Speaker 1: There's a really big thing which I was definitely caught a bit of guard with. So as a person which did not yet use any Rosslyn APIs before. So Rosslyn being the c shop compiler which also provides these source generators. They also power a lot of the suggestions within for example, visuous studio for syntax improvements. So just this thing of source analyzing is not a new topic coming to Rossland, and they already seem to have a very established way of how you can inspect the syntax tree, which is very hard to get into as a as a beginner. And there's a very useful addition extension for a visual studio which is called Syntax Visualizer, and it basically allows you to step into your class and on the side you have a very nice window which generates your class as a syntax tree, and that way you can easily trace how you would also receive the syntax tree within your source generator and that makes it way easier to figure out which nodes do I need to check, which note will represent my interface, which note will represent my allocation in this case, So this is something which is very useful to know ahead. Also this features available on sharp lab io. You can also change the result on sharp lab io from for example, the shop to a syntax tree, and this is definitely something to keep in mind because that will be probably the topic which people will have the most trouble getting into. It's definitely a different domain than reflection with types.
Speaker 2: What other things should we talk about about source code generators that we haven't covered.
Speaker 1: I think we've already got through most of what I think is important, So I think the most important thing to keep in mind that is how all you can set it up, which constraint it still has, which SDK version it can run on, And I think I mentioned it right right away, the syntax three. The syntax three details which are definitely a bit harder to get into. I think. Besides that, something which is also something new you have to wrap your head around, is coming to grips with how these source generators actually work, getting away from the THOUGHD model of having code generation ahead of the compilation or at run time, but rather right within the compilation. That's also something to keep in mind here and decides that. Honestly, I think that the technology is really nice and it's it's definitely something which kind of becomes what you make out of it, so there are not a lot of constraints as to what this thing can do for you, and that's probably more of a stretch of imagination.
Speaker 2: Than Okay, so have they been making enhancements to source code generators over time or they kind of just kind of have everything there they think they need and it's it's going to be going to be there. Are they going to you know, make have things changed in the future.
Speaker 1: Have been changes already. I think when source generators started out, they were also similar to T four Visual Studio only think, which already was improved on with dot Net five. I'm not entirely sure what changed with dot net six. To me, it still feels as if the technology is it's great, it's very useful, but it's also at the same time something which feels like was mostly developed for internal uses, and I think as of now it's also the main target, the target audience for this technology, So I'm not sure. I hope there will be more changes to make it more friendly for the consumer, especially with tooling. Sometimes Visio Studio also doesn't feel like picking up the generation at all, and that's also very hard to deal with, so I hope there will be more changes in that direction. Sadly, I'm not entirely sure where the project stands right now whether there are already some some enhancements in that area, but I'm very much routing for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, where's the best place for people to go to kind of learn and get started with source code generators?
Speaker 1: MSDN documentation on source code generators is already pretty good, and it should definitely give a give an introduction to how it works and how to set it up, and then afterwards I would recommend just exploring the compilation unit a bit. I think I already mentioned may it beyond sharp lit bio or for example, the syntax Visualizer extension for visual Studio, because that gives a lot of insights into what is possible how can you get around your own past coode within the generator? So these would be my go to steps and how to get into the technology.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, any last things that you want to let people know about before we move on to picks.
Speaker 1: I think everything has been said already, so I can definitely encourage people to just take a shot at it. I think just getting into new technology is always very nice, and this is one of those things things which feels like fills a necessary gap which has just not been there yet. So I think source generation has always been a concern of develop us, because you know, develop us, we are lazy people. We like to automate blowing stuff, and so I can definitely encourage people to check it out because it's it's a very nice and very convenient and clean way to generate code without producing a lot of garbage in your in your repository.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I definitely have a better understanding of source code generators now that I've talked with you for half an hour or so. So great job at explaining source code generators to somebody like me. That's kind of like been doing things one way forever and it's like that's worked for me, so why should I do something different? So good job, so now we should I'll move on to picks, and I guess I'll go first with my pick for for this week, and my pick is season two of a show on Netflix. It's season two of The Witcher. So I don't know if you have Netflix or if you watch season one or familiar with the things where it came from. So season two just came out today. I watched it, but based upon my watching of season one, I expect it to be another good season. So I'll be watching that this weekend. So I'm going to check out season two of The Witcher or rewatch season one if you have watched it.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it yet. I actually took the hands on way and play The Witch instead.
Speaker 2: Did you watch season one?
Speaker 1: No? Actually I did not yet. Sadly I didn't yet find time to watch it, but I think now with holiday break coming up, maybe I can. I can shave in a few a few hours of watching The Witcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give it a shot. Give it a shot, all right? So if there's is there something that you want to let our listeners know about that you're interested in and want them to know about.
Speaker 1: Actually, I also have a very very nice Netflix recommendation I could. Yes, So I'm more of a documentation documentary watcher, so I'm not very much into the movies or other things like that. And I recently discovered that Explained on Netflix now has some new some new episodes on Explained Our Mind, and that's something I can very much recommend. So I'm interested in human psychology and just how our brain sometimes tends to play some tricks on us, and just getting some insights into that is very cool. And it's also presented in a very very nice and bite sized way.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah it looks good. There's three seasons of Explained on Netflix. I've I think I've watched one or two of them and found them interesting, but I've never had much time to go back and check them out. So I will see all the different things they've they've came out with since last time I watch it. Great, all right, Stefan. Is there some way that people can reach out and ask questions of you if they need the more or get in touch with you?
Speaker 1: Sure? So, usually always available on get up, so get up a susten diner. It's a bit hard because it's a German word and there's no good pronunciation, so it's O S S E N B I N d E R on GitHub. And besides that, I'm also on Twitter, so Twitter handle would be at dot stunts, so that's at dot D O T S C h R A and set. That would be probably my main channels, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and that's that's Z not Z for the English speakers.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it, got it, got it all right? Great? Thanks the fon for coming on the show. Glad got to have you here today. Thanks if our listeners. Do you want to reach out and get in touch with the show. We'd love to hear from you. We would like to know what we're doing wrong, what we could do better, and what kind of topics you would like to hear about, So you get touch with me. I am on Twitter, I am at dot net superhero, and nobody else is here to go, So I'll do it all right, thanks to fun again, and we'll catch everybody else on the next episode of Adventures in dot Net.