Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: You know why, you know, everybody is so sensitive you cannot say, I mean, thank goodness. We are going back to the days when you can say things that are not racist that are considered Oh you racist?
Speaker 1: You How dare you say that it's a black.
Speaker 2: Neighborhood and it's a big black neighborhood?
Speaker 1: What the hell is wrong with that? And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. Good morning, everybody. Bill Handle here on a Tuesday morning, March fourth. It's going to be a little auspicious today because tonight the president gives a sort of kind of sort of kind of State of the Union address, and expect some fireworks. We're going to talk about that a little bit later on. That's for sure. That's a seven twenty. But first let me say hello to one and all. And you're wearing the puffy vest today? Interesting? Are you cold? Obviously? Well not anymore.
Speaker 3: She has the puffy vest, don't she's nice?
Speaker 1: Guys have the puppy and the nice bright red I guess sweatshirt underneath that, or you know, long T shirt, Yeah, long T shirt. All right, you know, sort of black and red. Very interesting. And there is Amy, good.
Speaker 3: Morning, Good morning Bill, Amy, you are with the rest.
Speaker 1: I talk about a lot of clothes that people wear and the.
Speaker 4: Red carpet right yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, yeah, yeah, we should say, and there are this is the way Amy's dressed today, brown sweats sweatshirt.
Speaker 3: And it's not a sweatshirt, is this?
Speaker 1: It's a sweater okay, so whatever. And there's nothing Disney on it.
Speaker 5: Very unusual most days there aren't. There's most day there it is not anything Disney on me, sure easy.
Speaker 1: Ideah and Cono good morning, good morning, Willium and uh and last, well not quite last at least, but close to it. And Neil, good morning, good morning, will one morning and Will Will. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Uh, we're working on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean good morning. I see a very red you. And so you must have been out in the sun for five hours yesterday. Now it's the lighting.
Speaker 4: I'm in the dark office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, fair enough. By the way, what dark office are you winning? Because there's no way any of us are in an office anymore.
Speaker 4: The one in the corner.
Speaker 1: Oh I used I used to be in an office. All of was say, and Neil used to have an office.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I now I get I share a cubicle with four other people. It gets a little tight, that's for sure. Okay, real quick. Uh a story Amy did which was kind of interesting about coyotes and how coyotes, uh do uh coyote stay away from wealthy neighborhoods. And before I moved into my new place, which is sort of a i'd say wealthy minus upper middle class area. I think that's fair to say. There was our dog, little Gucci, was attacked by a coyote and I shared that with you, and she was horrific. She was attacked and survived. So we take her to the VET and the vet does surgery and that was four thousand dollars. And then Gucci needed another surgery and we're told and we take her to the VET for a follow up. She needs another surgery. Okay, how much is that sixteen thousand dollars? Now, I let me point something out. There is no dog or child in the world that is worth sixteen thousand dollars for surgery. I just want to point that out as a starter. So we put Gucci down because infection set in and all of that, and she looks at it. You're really gonna let me die? Yes, yes, we did. And so I move into my new place and the first thing, and we're on a little hill and we look down and there's a hill coming up with a lot of vegetation, and it would be fairly easy, more difficult than what we had in our previous house, but a little bit more difficult to jump over the fence. I put up coyote fencing that's forty feet high in my backyard, and then coyote rollers on the side of my house where I have neighbors. And these are rollers on top of the fence that you as soon as someone tries to get on the fence, they roll because they're real slippery rollers that just you can't.
Speaker 4: Have any wall built.
Speaker 1: The wall I did. I did, and then oh no, beyond that. Beyond that, then I electrified the fence. Anybody gets near it, they are zapped instantly. By the way, illegal. And I bought two dogs bread. I mean they're four feet tall, weigh two hundred pounds each. Bread to eat tot coyotes. That's what they do. They go after coyotes. Matter of fact, you give them some great food that'd rather have coyotes. And let's not forget the shotguns that I keep by my bedside, and not to defend myself to go after coyotes. What is going on? I'm hearing something coming through. Oh okay, So anyway, so there's your story about coyotes, which by the way, is a complete croc. I might add because I don't believe it because in wealthier neighborhoods there's better food and coyotes understand that.
Speaker 4: Okay, higher end dogs to eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the story says that that the coyotes figured out that people in the wealthier neighborhoods basically do stuff to get them out. They'll catch them and kill them or real oh yeah, that's it. So they've adapted and they don't go into those areas because.
Speaker 1: They know that it's not I don't know, I don't know if I necessarily buy that. I mean, they're very, very smart. And then one of the things is there's there are companies out there that humanely catch coyotes and release them into poor neighborhoods. Maybe that's maybe that's what happens, and the wealthy people can to afford those folks.
Speaker 4: That's why KNO doesn't go into neighborhood.
Speaker 1: I know then, I say, I did say hello to Will. Okay, guys, let's do it. Well. We have news. We have news today, and let's start with what happened midnight this morning. Lead story. Terrorists kicked in on Mexican and Canadian imports, and Trump as recently as yesterday said I don't know, maybe I'll make the tariffs won't be as onerous. Well, he kicked in with full board tariffs, and Canada and Mexico immediately set up retaliation, full retaliation. It's a trade war. And then China is twenty percent of there were not all goods now, and with China it's twenty percent. And it is a trade war. And the economists and the markets are reeling. Trump said he would fight inflation day one, mark my words. And this whole lot of people are saying this. Prices are going to go up, up, up. Car industry is going to get nailed. Plan on spending three thousand dollars more for a new car, plan on spending a lot more for avocados and produce. It's going to be. It's gonna be tough. It's going to be tough. Now Trump has changed his tune. He said, Okay, it's gonna hurt for a while, but long term, it's going to be great for us. By the way, that may be true, because with tariffs in place like this, companies will be forced to manufacture in the United States. The problem is tariff started last night. Build a factory in twenty four hours someplace.
Speaker 3: We'll just get one of those three D printers.
Speaker 1: You could do it, Yeah, a car factory. Yeah, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 5: You mentioned they're already slapping back. China and Canada retaliated with tariff's on American goods, which could ignite that trade war that you're just talking about. The tariffs threatened to raise prices Americans pay for goods imported from the three nations, which collectively shipped one point for trillion dollars worth of goods to the US last year. That's forty percent of the value of all goods the US imported.
Speaker 1: What's twenty five percent of one point four trillion.
Speaker 4: Trillion?
Speaker 1: Okay, no.
Speaker 4: Billion?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's going to be really interesting, no kidding.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been up all night on on TIMU just trying to.
Speaker 1: Even Timu is no longer going to be getting You're not going to get you know, a uh half an appliance or three dollars from Timu.
Speaker 3: He's going to cost me four dollars now right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on Timu, it will uh oh, okay, who just texted me?
Speaker 4: Oh I don't know, please do tell okay.
Speaker 1: The guy who did it. I put up my uh my coyote fencing Jeremy, and he wants me to whore his name. So Jeremy, that's not going to happen. But thanks for you know, chiming in on this story.
Speaker 4: I mean, why do you have your phone in front of you?
Speaker 1: Because I use my phone as my timer. In other words, I don't have a timer. I just I find my phone works better.
Speaker 4: What time is it right now?
Speaker 1: Well it's six thirteen. But I use my phone also. I use it as the and sends me information and stories on my phone, which then I use for my printer. That phone is a big, big deal for me. That's why although I should put it on silent, which I don't do until it dings and then everybody knows I'm using my phone.
Speaker 4: Okay, handle that on the news coming back next.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely correct. And Jeremy, you did a great job. By the way, just to want to let you know. Okay, I'll give the name of the company. We kill coyotes dot com and we eat them.
Speaker 4: Okay, probably is competitor. Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: President Donald Trump will stand before a joint session of Congress today give an account of his eventful first weeks in office. The White House said Trump's theme will be the renewal of the American Dream, and he's expected to basically lay out the achievements since returning to the White House, as well as appeal to Congress to provide more money to finance his aggressive immigration crackdown.
Speaker 1: Oh, be prepared for us.
Speaker 4: Call your coyote guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be prepared for a free for all tonight. And this started with the Republicans heckling Joe Biden, Marjorie Taylor Green, screaming at him, heckling him at every word. And now it's the Democrats. Are they going to be as vociferous is that the right word as the Republicans are? I don't think so. Although you may see on the Republican side some of those huge foam hands that you see at football games being weighed number one, number one USA. You're going that doing the wave now and you are going to see, I mean, every time Trump opens his mouth, the Republicans will be standing up, cheering, jumping up and down.
Speaker 4: They're going to have the Republican kiss cam. Come on there.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, I don't think I don't think we're far off on that one. I really don't.
Speaker 4: That's a funny visual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see tonight on hold.
Speaker 5: The United States has paused military aid to Ukraine. This comes days after President Trump and Ukrainian President Zelensky got into it.
Speaker 3: In the Oval Office.
Speaker 5: The pause will apparently last until Trump determines the country's leaders demonstrate a good faith commitment to peace. That's according to Bloomberg and Fox News.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what is peace as far as Trump is concerned. Zelensky Ukraine caving one hundred percent and Putin, who is thrilled, he's waving the foam hand and peace. And I'll tell you right now what peace is. Russia now occupies about a third of eastern Ukraine. Putin is going to say we keep that third, we annex that that becomes part of Russia, and that is going to be peace. Because if Trump doesn't, if if Zelensky or a Ukrainian leader subsequent to Zulensky doesn't cave, everything is off the table. He said to Zelensky, you don't cut this deal. This was the trade deal. But if you don't go for peace, all military eight stops and at that point Ukraine loses unless Europe supplants with the United States makes up what the US is giving Ukraine, which I think is going to happen. I think I think so too. You know, if the leaders of Western Europe on one day's notice after the debacle in the White House between Selinsky and Trump, one day's notice they met, it was and exhibited complete solidarity with Ukraine. We'll see what happens next few days. It's crazy, Okay, local news Neil all Right.
Speaker 6: Day before Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass left for Ghana, which she said she wouldn't do when she was campaigning her age, received an email from the city's Emergency Management Department, which is where you would get it, not the chief of the fire department, warning of high confidence in damaging winds and elevated fire conditions occurring next week. The mayor nevertheless went on the trip, attending the Ganadian president's inauguration, as well as a US embassy cocktail party on January seventh, the day the Palisade fires broke out.
Speaker 1: And of course it's my dog ate the homework. The chief should have called me, even though there were emails going to staffers all over the place in the chief's office. Oh no, the police chief or the fire chief should have called me. It's her fault that all of this happened. And of course she was fired.
Speaker 4: She would have leave and she did you know she knew.
Speaker 1: It is of course she did.
Speaker 6: Or it was worse to me that she says she didn't know that it was for her to come out and just say screwed up.
Speaker 1: Now, let me tell you it's possible that she didn't know. She claims that her staff never told her because there are no emails, of course, but there is no there's no proof that that bass got an email at all.
Speaker 4: Here's me. Can you imagine your mayor didn't even know what.
Speaker 1: Was going on? And it goes to show you her leadership, her leadership. She has a staff that didn't tell her, and there are there's email after email from the National Weather Service, from the Emergency Management District, whatever the hell. The city of La has during emergencies. I mean you look at there were half a dozen or a dozen emails, and the National Weather Service was coming in and sending out reports from it's highly likely or going to have a major event. Uh, it is very likely ending with it is critical, it will be life threatening. It will happen. And the mayor's office, her staffers did not tell her about it, so they say, and it's possible, it's possible, why should fired fired? Of course not. And head should roll, she should fire every one of those people that ended up getting an email everyone. It's not going to happen. This is I hope this causes Bass her job.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 1: I hope gave the next election she gets nailed on this. There's a recall starting, but that's I don't know why people even bother with a recall and Crowley and we're gonna talk about it later on. Crowley is appealing to the La City Council her firing. Now. Is it going to go any place? Absolutely not. I mean Crowley is not going to be reinstituted.
Speaker 3: All right, deadlocked over a dead wife.
Speaker 5: Jurors in the trial of Orange County judge of an Orange County judge who is accused of shooting his wife, say they're deadlocked. They can't come up with it a verdict. The judge said, can you go back and try again. They're going to decide today whether they can. Prosecutors say Judge Ferguson was drinking and shot his wife on purpose while they had an argument. Ferguson says the claiming the gun went off accidentally as he pulled it out of its holster.
Speaker 1: Taking it out of its holster and basically pointing it at her. That's accidental, Okay, I'm surprised that. Well, I don't know the other facts of the case. I mean, it could be that he was so plastered that he had no idea. He came up with that is a legitimate defense. I have no idea. But you know, jury completely deadlocked, and judges don't buy that. Man. They forced the jury's back in. Go back in and all right, let's move on.
Speaker 6: He's now a producer on the movie Rust as well.
Speaker 1: Very well.
Speaker 6: California Governor Gavin Newsom or the Gave, announced yesterday that he is ordering all state employees to return to the office four days a week, matter with him starting starting on July. First, yeah, first, super important, but not you know.
Speaker 1: And he sends a text out saying if you don't, you're going to be fired. Go get a job with the Feds. Okay. Uh.
Speaker 6: He did say that it's just strength in the state's emergency and disaster response. Great, right after we've had such a massive disaster.
Speaker 4: But they're still going.
Speaker 6: To look at tell work flexibilities case by case, which I don't think is legal.
Speaker 4: But knocked themselves out too, they held house.
Speaker 5: Okay, so there's a new Gladiator movie out. In fact, it was nominated for something SAG Awards or something, but Gladiator playing out in real life at Los Padrino's Juvenile facility. Thirty officers at the juvenile hall are facing child abuse charges because they allegedly coordinated gladiator fights between the kids there. Nearly seventy fights were recorded between July and December of twenty twenty three. The charges say that the officers allowed and even encouraged the fights.
Speaker 1: They're going to get nail. I'm not surprised. There's all kinds of problems that have occurred. Yeah, you know, the guy who used to work with us here, the guy used to be State Gregory did a lot of reports on this.
Speaker 4: This just did and broke. The story is still Steve Gregor.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's news to me.
Speaker 4: Okay, it didn't used to be anything. Okay.
Speaker 6: WWE co founder Linda McMahon was confirmed as the US Secretary of Education yesterday night, a party line vote, of course, as they tend to be fifty one to forty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of Democrats didn't show up. Yeah, because they knew that it was going to be a loss. There is not one nominee that has not been confirmed by the Senate that Trump has put forward, not one. And it doesn't matter experience, it doesn't matter credentials, it doesn't matter anything. The only good news is that for senior positions in the Department of Justice, thank god Charles Manson is dead. All right, let's go because he would be confirmed. One more story and know we'll take a break.
Speaker 5: Well, the dog is still it's just not the one that we thought. So we got the word last week that Gene Hackman and his wife had died at their home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and then also that one of.
Speaker 3: Their dogs had died. It was a dog that was in.
Speaker 5: A kennel and we're finding out that it looks like Jeane and his wife Betsy had been dead for a couple of weeks. Don't know how the dog died, could have started to death, but apparently it's not the dog bear, the German shepherd, it's a different one.
Speaker 1: How big a deal is that?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think it really is.
Speaker 1: I know, these are fungible dogs.
Speaker 4: You know, well, a dog's a dog, but pardon yeah, in your household. But you guys go through them like tissue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, one dies, you get another one.
Speaker 6: It's not that complicated thing is this that the dog chiropractor came out and said, oh I was so worried. And it's like people like were rotting. There were rotting corpses about the dogs.
Speaker 4: It's like I was just doing the back to dogs.
Speaker 1: I mean, if one of the dogs in the kennel in the crate starved to death, that's a little that's tough. That's tough. But it's a dog out of the three, and it becomes a front page, Oh wrong dog? So I don't get it. Well, every this is such big news. Gene Hackman dying under mysterious circumstances ninety five years old. I mean, you know he's been around for a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I mean he had everything.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like the ninety year old guy that goes to a urologist and says, doctor, I can't pee, and the urologist says, how old are you going? I'm ninety. Guys, you're peen enough. Okay, uh okay, don't forget to tip the waiters on the way out, okay.
Speaker 4: Free falling.
Speaker 6: Indeed, the Academy Awards drew eighteen million viewers on Sunday, not bad, ABC said, citing Nielsen data, But eight it's an eight percent drop from the nineteen point five million who watched last year. The audience decline decline is part of the up and down that has been coming on. But they had a three year streak with OSCAR ratings that had been on the rise, and now this ends that three years streak. The decline follows a trend among all these awards shows. So Grammy Awards down nine percent than the year before. Golden Globes in January. January had a modest decline.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. They they're hard to make interesting.
Speaker 1: These and when you talk about there was on a three year increase. I mean we're talking incremental increase. The numbers are either horrible, more horrible, prohibitively horrible, or science fiction horrible. That's what they've come because who saw Who saw best picture? Aurora or a Borealis or whatever they hold The name of that picture was? Who saw that? Yeah? Yeah, that one who saw it? I didn't? Did you?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 4: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 1: That ruins my little But you know what.
Speaker 5: I only did it because I am a SAG member, so I vote on the SAG Awards.
Speaker 1: So do you.
Speaker 3: We're all SAG members.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't get that stuff anymore, at least I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even pay attention. How did you watch it? You should get it for free.
Speaker 3: I watched it on my TV at home.
Speaker 1: Because they give you a code or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they used to send out the DVDs, but now most of them are digital.
Speaker 1: By the way, did you see all the films?
Speaker 5: Almost well, not all the Academy Awards, but almost all of the SAG films.
Speaker 1: And okay, my next question is do you have a life?
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 1: I know that clearly, clearly.
Speaker 3: All right, I have two cats, Neil.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, it's a cat lady and their coyote fodder. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 3: So much for Forever.
Speaker 5: Forever twenty one is laying off nearly seven hundred workers in California and Pennsylvania and closing its headquarters in the Los Angeles area. Liquidations have begun. They say that they just can't keep up online shopping. It's just taking over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of companies are going under, and some are doing great. The ones that are well managed. The brick and mortar ones that have done well is just good management and they've been able to somehow, you know, bridge the issue of internet and brick and mortar. I'm, for example, I'm buying a couch.
Speaker 4: Is there good for you?
Speaker 1: Thank you? But here's no. But here's the point that's very funny. Here is the point. How do you buy a couch or a chair online if you have not sat on it and seen if it's comfortable. How do you do that? So what we're doing is we're buying four couches, different kinds, different colors, different fabrics, will choose one and return the other three with Amazon.
Speaker 3: Take it back into Whole Foods in return.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, we've been needing a new couch for well over a year, and I don't want to get one for that very reason.
Speaker 4: It's hard. You have to go around everywhere and yeah, you do them.
Speaker 1: And you do. That's the whole point that shares on it.
Speaker 4: To see what it's going to feel like when you're in the doghouse.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing. So we went and bought a couch at a at a store, you know, one of these furniture stores, and it doesn't work. We sat on it. It was super comfortable. A bed. How do you buy a bed without trying it out? And you know when you go to these major stores, they don't come Yeah, well you come in you have to try it. Well, let me tell you. Trying a bed. You're in your clothes, it's the middle of the day and you're lying on a bed that doesn't have sheets on it. The only way you can know is sleeping on it, stooping on it.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're not impressing anybody.
Speaker 1: No, go into a sleep go into a sleep number store and get laid to really try it out. And you know what, there, you're going to be arrested. I know that for a fact.
Speaker 6: Tuesday, particularly seven am, you were just told by a seventy two year old man get laid stoop.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because you know why, Because because I'm living through you vicariously. Okay, we're done you not. Yeah, we're done with that. Always go to the lowest common an. I'min or when we can kfi A M sixty. You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app