Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: As we've completed two of the three hours of this radio program, it is it has dawned on me that I have talked very little about what happened on Saturday at LNN Cardinal Stadium. And I'm sorry. I'm sure you could sense that that didn't seem super sincere. It's because I mean, I think people expect, well, the football season actually started, Louisville football actually played a real game. It's here they beat the hell out of their opponent, Austin P sixty two to nothing, and that and that is awesome. It's just like, I don't you know, we had the postgame show. By the way, for those of you that missed that, you could actually go check out the podcast. But again, when you play Austin P and you went sixty two to nothing, it's really just I mean, it's what you're supposed to do. Doesn't mean I can't give some accolades and some praise out there to Tyler Shuck, who was damn You're perfect. Eighteen to twenty four, two hundred and thirty two yards, four touchdowns, no interceptions. I mean, he was sensational. Tied Nagel's record for most touchdowns in a debut performance, and he could have had a lot more. And he just you know, he's got some confidence about him that you know you would have when you're playing that well against that kind of an opponent. Obviously, I'd love to see this guy when Louisville's playing a better team, but you know we won't. We won't get there until Georgia Tech, which is, you know, not far away at all, it's next week. But my point is this, I just it's not like I'm not wanting to talk about what was encouraging. It's just when I don't really when I have a tough time knowing what to take from it, Meaning, what did we learn beating sixty two? Beating an opponent like that, sixty two to nothing. Again, it's you. It's what you're supposed to do. It's really all you can do, right, I mean, best case scenario happened, you played a bad team, you beat a bad team, very very badly, sixty two to nothing. But I guess, just because for me, it's it's I guess it's just when I know that it didn't really tell me if Louis what was gonna be as good this year as I want him to be. Like, it's just hard for me to just give you, you know, fake reaction and just you know, yap about I mean, I could give you a bunch of numbers and stats me, but we did that in the post game. And I'm sure none of you really care about that. But five hundred and seventy one yards to total offense when you only gave up one hundred and six yards, I mean, that's that's a dominant performance. So again with Shuck, I know it's just Austin p but I just I get the sense that they're gonna they're gonna be much more comfortable letting him make place. And not to say they weren't comfortable, well, I think they knew what they had in Jack Plumber. But with Jack Plumber, it was just his inconsistency is what made it tough to really. I mean again, I think he was pretty consistent in big games to where like you just knew he wasn't going to be super accurate, wasn't going to be able to make a lot of really tough throws at least on a consistent basis. He made enough plays for you to be a good team. And you know, it wasn't as if he was a terrible quarterback. But I just think knowing what Jeff Brum wants to do offensively, Plumber was the guy that kind of just wasn't able to do that. I think with Shuck they'll be able to do that. That's not to say that he won't be turnover prone here and there. Maybe he is, because I think they're going to take more risks with his arm than they did with Jack Plumber, and I'm totally fine with that. And the defense, you know, again, they were dominant. I mean, you saw guys out there making plays that transferred in some names you probably weren't that familiar with. I mean, that was actually probably you know, well, I guess I'll start with Shuck. Shuck obviously looked really good, and you would want him to look good against that kind of an opponent. And then from there at running back, I mean they went with Maurice Turner. He was the guy that you know, obviously got the nod, was the starter, and I think the updated depth chart still shows him as the starter in week two, and that'll probably not change, but I will say this, I mean, I think it's gonna be running back by committee. I don't think it really matters who gets the first carry. I think you're gonna see Turner and Cheney. By the way, Cheney didn't get a carry. Cheney he caught one pass I think it was, but you'll see him again. Jeff was gonna be vanilla. He wasn't gonna really show a whole lot. He didn't need to. They got a lot of carries for Kewan Brown, who I still think has got a chance to be really good. And then obviously Isaac Brown. You saw him go seventy seven yards for the touchdown, and it looked as if he didn't even turn on the jets. I mean, that looked like a guy going through a light jog. But yet he just created so much separation and left everybody in the dust. And that was I mean, again, that's that's the kind of speed we've heard about when it comes to this freshman star. I mean, he's a preseason Freshman All American BYuT ESPN for good reason. I don't want to talk him up too much and set expectations too high, because he is a true freshman, and you have veteran running backs that I know that Jeff Brahm and this staff really like. But I would not be shocked if you get to game four, game five and he's the guy maybe you're seeing carry the ball more than anybody else, just because he has electrifying speed and vision that you just you can't teach. And then the tight ends getting involved was great. That touchdown to Mark Redman was awesome, just a perfect throw from Chuck Jamari Johnson for some reason, I felt like he was more involved than the actual numbers show. So offensively, you know, Jacory Brooks, Yeah, you can tell that guy used to catch touch on passes at Alabama. I mean he looked smooth out there. Jayden Thompson also getting involved. He of course is the guy who everybody expects to get the bulk of the opportunities to fill that spot left by Colton Lacy who's injured. I still think Kataris Hicks is another guy that you'll see get opportunities. We saw Mariy Huggins bruce out there. He got out there and caught a pass. So again, a lot to like from that game, but again because of who that game was against It's just tough to know exactly what was to take from it. But defensively, I mean, you've got Jalatti back. We all know he's an All American player. I mean, he's preseason ap All American. Those those kind of guys, you know, those those guys don't come around very often. So, as I've said many times, getting him back and even Quincy Riley, getting those guys back to they decided not to go to the NFL, they didn't hit the portal. That's as big as any transaction, any move made in the offseason for Jeff Brom getting those two guys back, specifically Jelatti, and you know, again not a surprise to see him getting after the quarterback in Week one, kind of picking up where he left off from a year ago. But some names that you know, I wasn't super I mean I know of them because I remember hearing their names when they transferred in, but obviously you know they're playing for the first time at at Louisville. I mean I thought Tremmelle Logan six four, two fifty, he is a defensive lineman who transferred in from South Florida. I mean, that guy looked he looked legit. Not usually do you see a guy from South Florida look like you know. Again, I guess you have players all over the country, but like when I hear Louisll's got a guy from South Florida, he's not. That's not exactly somebody I'm expecting to come in and be great. But I mean, I've heard nothing good things about him during camp, and I thought he looked good in the you know, in the times. We saw him on the field on Saturday. And then an another large human being, Renee Conga, the six ninety pound nose tackle who's a red shirt freshman. That's another name that again when I hear it called on television and I look at the at the depth chart like I'm familiar. Look, Oh yeah, I remember that guy. I remember hearing about him transferring in. Well, it's a guy who played at Rutgers. I think prior to that he played at Maybe I think he's been to a few different schools. But yeah, I mean Louisville, what they did, they felt really good about where they were as far as the defensive line, just because of the guys they brought back. But what they've done now is they've added guys like Conga in Logan, and they have more depth there than they've probably ever had as a program. I don't think that's hyperbole. I think that's legit. I think Louisville football has more defensive depth right now than they've ever had. That's not to say that they've got some of the best players ever that have played here, but you know now they can go too deep and truly feel as if there's not much of a drop off at all. Now, maybe when you go and bring somebody in and you put Jelati or Riley on the sideline, yeah that's a little different because those guys are really special. But yes, Louisville sixties to nothing was the score. That's what you're supposed to do against those kind of teams. I don't think I learned anything about Louisville, but I also didn't see anything that has me feeling as if my expectations for this group need to be readjusted. So again, your big favorites here once again on Saturday taking on Jacksonville State. Rich Rodriguez is the coach. I mean that does add maybe not intrigued to the matchup, because again, like I don't know if people really care. But imagine telling somebody in two thousand and seven, or maybe two thousand and six, because that's when rich Rod was still at West Virginia and of course Louisville and West Virginia that blackout back in the fall of two thousand and six. I mean, that was I still think that was the best atmosphere I've ever seen for a Louisville football game, Top five matchup, I mean, a very historic night for Louisville football. But imagine telling somebody then, nineteen years ago that Jeff Brom, who was an assistant coach and OC I believe on that staff for Bobby coaching his brother Brian and rich Rod was the up and coming star of college football and that's how he parlayed that West Virginia job to the Michigan job. But imagine telling somebody that we'd be here nineteen years later, Jeff Brom in his second season at Louisville, coming off a ten win season in his debut, his little brother Brian, who is the QB. He's now the OC at Louisville, and rich Rod is the opponent, but he's coaching Jacksonville State. It's just wild to think about how life works out, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was where Bill O'Brien being on the Boston College sideline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was surprised to see how many. And again it makes sense because you know it's Boston College. They don't really move the needle. But I mean, that was a huge win for Boston College for their coach to just abruptly resign at a terrible time. I mean, when did he When did he resign? Because it was way I think it was like after like you could go do anything in the portal, like I think the portal had. Yeah, Boston College, they're head coach, Jeff Hafley. He left in February, so like you got to keep in mind the portal is super active at the end of November, when you know, and the second semester starts. A lot of these guys by mid January early January have already left and gone to a new school, right, Like that's when a lot of the portal action happens as soon as the season ends. In your second semester of the year is starting, so you know, they they didn't have the ability to go in the portal until post spring. I think Halfley realized that he was just not going to be able to succeed there at Boston College. As far as you know, nil resource is, like, he's probably a pretty good coach, but you got to be I mean, it's not just about that anymore. You can be a damn good ball coach, but if you don't have resources to pay your players, with nil and all that, you're gonna get left behind. And it's not even really accurate to say left behind because like it's Boston College. They were never ahead of anybody. So bell O'Brien just being available and interested because of his I guess connection. I mean he was in New England for a while coaching with Belichick, So I mean that's I mean, they might have hired that. Yeah, I mean they might have hired the best coach they've ever had at Boston College. And it just kind of happened very very randomly, with some unusual circumstances. Your head coach whose job was not in jeopardy. Boston College went to a bowl game last year and won it. But I think Halfley just knew, Hey, this the ceiling for me here is not very high because we're at Boston College. Well, Bill Obrian you know, he can come in and he's the kind of name within college football really just football in general, that if there's somebody that would make Boston college football like kind of relevant, maybe get a few big name transfers here and there, maybe you know, make a splash kind of like they did last night. It's that kind of a coach that would do that, you know what I mean, Just an unusual situation, but hey, he's there looking for a new opportunity, and you know, they got off to a good start last night. I did not watch much of Kentucky. I fell asleep when they started pouring it on the Southern Miss Golden Eagles, and of course that game never ended up finishing. I've been asked this by a few different people. I didn't bet on that game. If you bet on that, they just void your bet, right like I would assume you get your money back or do they count that as a win.
Speaker 3: I was thinking the same thing. Thankfully, I didn't bet on it, so I don't know the answer. I get long, but that's thankfully. But like I was wondering the same stuff.
Speaker 2: I have a buddy who I was talking to at our draft last night. We did a fantasy football draft last night, and I was locked in trying to you know, draft the best team possible, So it was kind of you know, overhearing his conversation. But I think he had like a five leg parlay and the fifth leg would have been Kentucky winning and covering, but they voided it to where he just basically won a four leg parlay. That's a good way to hear. Yeah, that, yeah, I mean, and that's I think that's probably the only way you can handle it, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Imagine if you had a huge leg parlay like he did and they just avoid the entire bet, that'd be too.
Speaker 2: Well, like if you've got if you've got Southern miss plus twenty six and a half and yet there's still a quarter and a half left and they're down thirty one. I mean, that's a really weird bet, and that's a weird place to be. But like technically, if they if they if they called the game there and you lost the bet but your team just didn't end up having the full game to try to cover, it'd be a weird thing to complain about. But I think you have a legit complaints that make sense. Yes, So I think that's probably what they end up doing is just you know, avoiding it. Western Kentucky they went down to Alabama and got hammered, I mean just completely demolished. But hey, they're there because they needed the check. Which, by the way, Rich Rod did his radio show last night in Jacksonville, Alabama, and he this is I wouldn't say this is controversial by any means, but there was some criticism about him about him saying, I think this is just a coach being honest, and I can appreciate it. But you know, Jacksonville State is in Alabama, Troy is in Alabama, and if Bama's going to be giving out these big one point nine million dollar checks, like I don't know why, I'm just I mean, I'm sure it's like an actual like wire transaction for some reason. I can just see the athletic director at Western walking out of there with like one of those big checks you see on like the prices, right, you know what I mean, Like those big, humongous checks that are bigger than your body. But those Alabama schools like Jacksonville State, they want that money to state in state and not have Alabama giving it to other other programs. This is this is from a trod show man.
Speaker 4: I play in western Kentucky and you had Auburn play in a in state school. I raised a question on social media over the weekend, is why can't we do something to encourage more in state robberies but rebuild the whole robberies that used to exist. There's there's I mean, why is that money going out of state instead of state and in state?
Speaker 5: A good question, and we're trying to I think we've got Ua b on the schedule.
Speaker 2: You have Auburn a couple of years, Auburn.
Speaker 5: Get a paycheck from them. Then we got maybe trying to get Troy on the schedule.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 5: And hell Alabama, if they will to pay me to men, I'll be down there on Saturday and Sunday. I'll play them twice for me half our budget. They could beat our brains in for a couple of million dollars. Uh for sure. So I'll call my my buddy Greg burn the ad down there and say listen to Gregg, and I have said, we'll go down there for two million, and if you want to do the back to back, we'll go for for me and and have a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I rolle Todd for him if they won.
Speaker 2: So I mean I didn't. I didn't take anything from that as if he said anything out of line. But and it's not like it's become a I don't trust me. I don't want to make it out like a big deal. But Thomas Ashworth, who is the beat writer for the Jacksonville State football program, he wanted to share the clip because he was there covering the Coaches Show with that quote, and I guess just the quote itself, without people hearing the context, almost took it as if he was mocking his own team, which I do understand sort of why you know, I get why you see it that way, But then again, I also think he's just being honest with you, Like did you expect him to say, yeah, we'll go down there and get that two million dollar check and well, whoop that Alabama Crimson Todd's ass Like, no, he knows they're gonna Like we all know what this is. It goes back to my conversation, like I can appreciate rich Rod for actually acknowledging this stuff for what it is when nobody else will, Like that's like you're there to get bent over and that's what it is. Right.
Speaker 3: Imagine if he would have pulled the bend over and take it.
Speaker 2: I would have died. And it would have made me think that somehow he had listened to this show, which I know he wouldn't, but like it would also just remind me, you know what that Like I would feel more justified in my approach because you don't hear people say that, you know, because it is belittling your opponent. It's you know, not giving them a chance to even keep it close. But like we also can't. Like this is what I struggle with in life when people try to tell me things that I know are not, Like I'm gonna make it political here, but I think you know what I'm talking about, Like, no, like this, you're there, you're not scheduling Alabama or Louisville if you're Austin p because you're this chippy program that's just waiting for somebody to let them come play us so we can go take No, you're doing it to fund your program, Like that's what this is. It's a transaction, that's what it is. So anyways, like some Jacksonville State fans I suppose didn't like that, but like let's get real. It also made me sad because imagine being a Jacksonville State fan leading up to that game, you know what I mean, Like, you know what this is, you know, and it wouldn't be fun to watch if you watch your team get killed. So the only time I can think of being in somewhat of a relatable situation there would have been when Louisville played Alabama to open up their season. Whenever Bama was, you know, fresh off national championship, it was, they had both Jalen Hurts and Tua. Louisville was coming off of the Lamar Jackson era, going through you know what, we didn't know would be the worst season like ever, but we knew we could probably play well and still get killed. And that's just a weird, weird. I mean, I don't care who you are in football, you gotta probably be one of those kind of teams, an FCS or or a low, low level G five which Jacksonville State, by the way, is brand new to G five football. So you gotta be you gotta be down there to be in that kind of a situation. But if you're a fan or an alum, it's an annual thing, right, like probably three of your opponents. They are going to be like that to an extent. Also, you know, this is something that that I always go back to with with the those who claim Bellerman and Louisville should always play each other in basketball, and you know, Murray State complaining that Kentucky won't go there and play them, they won't do a home and home, and I mean, I'm all, like I I find I'm a huge huge Bellerman basketball fan. I mean, outside of Louisville. I want Bellerman to win. If they're not playing Louisville, i want Bellerman to win every game. I'm not gonna act as if like I'm watching every single game, but like I love Scotty Davenport his program, so happy he's he's you know he's at Bellerman and you know he's he's a huge asset to our community in a variety of ways. But I've always gotten some pushback when I say this, Loman doesn't owe him a game. I'm glad they play him. And by the way, they worked it out where Louisville needed that venue, Freedom Hall for volleyball a couple of years ago, and that's what got the series started. Where they're playing real games against one another. But like when Chris Mack was here, what does he benefit from scheduling Beller? He might lose that game because Baltopman is pretty good, right, Like, and if you're gonna be giving, if you're doing these by games, I guess you can say we'll give it to another school within your state. But like, we wouldn't do that for Kentucky. We want it, we wouldn't want them to Like I've never understood that. And that's what that caller, I guess was alluding to to to rich Rod, is that Alabama instead of giving Western Kentucky one point nine million, they should be giving it to Jacksonville State or Troy or these or Southern South Alabama or something like that. And like, I hear where you're coming from, But like you're not entitled to that. And if it's well, why don't we keep that money within the state. That's like people who if Kentucky's playing in a national championship game and you're a Louisville fan, you give me the well, I hope we can keep it in the state. You can get the hell out of this state. If that's the way you never understood those I have you heard people say that though, right, yeah, well as we'll keep it in the state. No, we hate them, Why would we want them to have a championship? And Louisville fans would do the same thing Entucky. It's the same like Kentucky fans if louel was playing in a national championship, you're tell me deep down you want to keep it within the state. No you don't. It's your rival, so you know, like I don't think that guy who called into that show was like out of line. But again, like why are you entitled to that? Like, that's not your money. That's money that Alabama Football has to pay somebody, and if they choose to give it to somebody else, that's their decision. You're not entitled to it because you happen to play this, you play that, you know, play within the same state as them. It's like Murray, Like Murray quite literally claims that Kentucky won't schedule them, and they won't, but it's not because they're scared of them, because they're not going to agree to your terms. Murray wants Kentucky to host them at roup and then go play them in Murray, why would Kentucky give up a home date to go play you in Murray. You know what, that would be a charity. They would be doing a charitable a charitable act for your program. And if they did it, good on them. But they're not. They don't have to do that. It'd be a gift. Anyways, Quick Break will come back on the other side, keep it rolling along. It's coffee and company. Field about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety started the show by mentioning, how I was just kind of dragging ass today. I don't know. I was up later last night than I usually would be on a work night watching some football, drinking some beers, fantasy football draft with the Boys. So I'm just kind of in a funk today. But once the show started, I mean that all went away.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm dancing to Michael Jackson during the break there. Thank God, nobody else could see that, just John. But yeah's feeling good.
Speaker 3: The music we get to play sometimes we can vibe with it for a couple of seconds before we officially come back in for the segment, and it's usually a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, people still get pissed about not having music on the podcast first. It has nothing to do with us out of our control. It's a higher up thing, and you can always listen live and get the music. So I know some people can't listen live or they just don't like to because they love to be able to just start it and go all the way through without any commercials. And I get all that, but just know we're not removing the music that we hear when we come back from breaking the podcasts just to stick it to you podcast listeners. It's something we I mean, I'm pretty sure if.
Speaker 3: There's a day where we can bring the music back, I don't know what that would require, iHeart to do.
Speaker 2: I did a little digging, okay as to why that's a thing, and it's really stupid. I mean, I think we could do it and be fine. But you know, when you are a corporation of this size, you got to make sure you don't put yourself in a position to get sued. Right. It was a record label thing, right, Oh yeah, I mean it's all I mean, And just like anything else in life, I mean, not anything, I guess, but like it took one person really like going overboard as far as what we are allowed to do. With music to where it hit, it got up. I think it got to the level high enough up here within our corporation of iHeart, to where they just made the executive decision nobody, you can't have any music on any podcast, even if it is for fifteen to thirty seconds. Such that makes sense right there. We're not alet to have interns here at iHeart. I don't know people know that or not.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. Yeah, I was an intern once, so they gonna do about it.
Speaker 2: Well, you interned, not for the company specific human being exactly, so I guess you could get a you could get around it. And maybe they've changed it since then. But you know, back in the day, I mean the dogs used to have on interns, but they in turned through an outside company, not through actually iHeart, because there was one person who had an intern, probably in a market far far away, that basically used that intern as a full time employee and didn't pay him a dime, and like, you know, you can't do that. So anyways, if you ever really want to hear the music that the company Man DJ company Man John on the ones, yeah college I think DJ. If you want to hear the Company Man DJ Jazzy John. You're gonna have to listen live. That's that's one of the reasons why you should always be listening live. I understand some people can't. But anyways, those that still text in mad that the podcast doesn't have music, nothing we can do about it. Nothing we can do, all right? Text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. It's the Llenn Federal Credit Union. Text Line members get more at Llenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LLNFCU dot com. This is a good question that comes in, says Nick. I'm a transplant born in Cleveland, lived there my whole life into the last ten years. I do enjoy the Louisville and Kentucky rivalry. However, it is nothing compared to Ohio State in Michigan. As you just said last week, is there any chance Louisville and Kentucky could ever end up in the same conference. That way, you guys would stop yelling at each other about which league is better. Well, I don't, by the way, Thank you for listening, and you know I will admit the rivalry when it comes to football clearly much different. On the Ohio State Michigan side. But I don't think that you hear Louisville fans yelling at Kentucky about which league is better. I mean, I think everybody knows the SEC is a superior league in football because it's the best league in football. What I think you hear that does probably from an outsider's perspective, like yourself. It probably is annoying for you to hear us you're just kind of you know, around it as you know. I don't know what you do for work, but maybe you hear Louisville and Kentucky fans going after each other at work when it comes to football, and I would imagine it's Kentucky claiming that despite Louisville having success, none of it matters because they play in a terrible league, and the Kentucky would actually be the champion of the ACC every year if they played in that league, because they're that good. It's just they play in the almighty SEC. And on the Louisville side, you probably hear them acting as if that's a ridiculous thing to claim, and also letting Kentucky know that despite being in a better league, you know, you don't actually have any factor in that league. The league is elite and it has nothing to do with you. In fact, you probably more than anything bring the league down historically. So like, that's probably a never ending debate because they're never going to end up in the same conference together, at least not that I'm aware of. However, that would end it right Louisville and Kentucky played in the same conference, you know, at that point you'd have to just go, you know, toe to toe. And look, Kentucky has beat Louisville the last what five times they played them. Therefore they can claim they're in a better league and they have bragging rights, which is why, I mean, Jef Brom knows he's got a lot on his plate this year. They want to try to put themselves in the a SEC Championship game again. But man, despite this game having nothing to do with that, he knows how big it is to be Kentucky this year. I mean, they got to do it. They got it in this streak and last year was like the ultimate if you're gonna do it, now is the chance to do it. And I remember thinking to myself, if they don't get them now, they may never. And I as a Louisville fan and me being well aware of what Jef Brom is capable of doing as a head coach. There's never a scenario where I would say, well, they're just never going to beat Kentucky and football, because I was when I was growing up watching Louisville football, I didn't know really what we were right, we were new. We just got thrown in the microwave. We were in conference USSA jurige comes around, they hire John ELL's success starts to happen, and then boom Bobby, Buttrino takes over like we were. I mean, I knew we had some good had a good run. I knew we were a basketball school more than a football school at the time in a major way. But one thing I did know as a kid, we beat Kentucky because they stunk all the time. I mean, at least my childhood, that's that era. Now, obviously I watched Kentucky beat Louisville when I was a kid as well, but it seemed like that happened a lot more. It was more of a rare thing to happen. So look, I don't think they'll ever be in the same conference, and I don't want him to be, to be honest with you, But that would probably put an end to that debate because at that point, you know, if you're playing in the same league and you play each other every year, the whole conference affiliation stuff just doesn't matter anymore because you'd be in the same league. But I doubt that ever happens. All Right, this Tech says Nick got to be honest with you. I was not pleased with what I saw from Pierce Clarkson. I can't get over how small he looked out there. Yeah, so we talked about that a little bit on the postgame show. And I think I've said the same thing about Pierce for a while now, and that is that this is the year for him to get some meaningful Well it's not meaningful if it's in a blowout, but it is at least reps in a real game, if that makes sense. Like I believe, just my opinion, not telling you this for certain, but I believe that if they opened up their season not against Austin p but against Georgia Tech, and it was a close game in the third quarter and Tyler Schuck went down with an injury, I don't think they would have put Pierce Clarkson in I think they would have put in Harrison Bailey. Again, I'm just we'll never know. It's a hypothetical, but I think with Pierce and Harrison Bailey as your backup, I think they are really close, like as far as like competition, like, I don't think that they you know, I would say they're probably neck and neck. But if Pierce is going to be the quarterback of the future as a red shirt freshman right now, it is more important for him him to get those reps, then it is Harrison Bailey, who's a six year senior who walked on here when he came to Louisville last year as he transfer. So you know, I didn't think Pierce looked great, But then again, if he did look great, I would not be somebody that would, you know, it would be encouraging to see him in his first you know, and you know, some real reps there. If you put up big numbers, I would be encouraged by it. But I would also know that with it being Austin p it's tough to make to know what any of it means. So, you know, if they're in a similar situation on Saturday against Jacksonville, State and they're up thirty five or forty or whatever it may be. I think they'll probably once again go to Pierce, but it's because they're giving him a chance to get some some valuable reps I guess as best he can and seem little and see a little bit more about what they have, if that makes sense. But I think if it's a game on the line and they had to go to a quarterback that they feel comfortable that will help them, you know, make plays and win the game, I think they go with Harrison Bailey. So you know, it's gonna be really tricky to see what happens with Pierce Clarkson because he could show really really good upside this year in those type of situations. And I will agree with the Texter. I didn't think he looked great, but I also am not gonna write him off based off just that. But yeah, six one ninety five. I know that Tyler Shuck's a big guy, and I know Harrison Bailey's a big guy too, but I thought I thought Pierce Clarkson looked like he was my height out there, but he could let's just say, he gets some real snaps in half the games this year, because Louisville's up big and when when he is in there, he looks pretty good doing it, and fans feel like, Okay, here we go, man, whenever Shuck's gone, we're gonna hand the reins off to Pierce, and I feel good about the future. Like let's just say that did happen, and then you get to the end of December or I'm sorry, the end of November, I should say, and the portal's open and there's a really good quarterback out there in the portal that Jeff Brown would love to have and he wants to go after him. That's just kind of how coaches operate now, cause if you're not taking advantage of getting better, adding more talent and depth in the portal, what are you doing? You're not doing your job. So Pierce has I think already shown some maturity and patience by understanding, yes, this is my second season and for the second time they have brought in a quarterback that's a veteran in the portal, that is essentially walking into this starting job a third year. I don't know if he would do that, and I wouldn't blame him. Like if Pierce Clarkson shows some upside this year, But yet they still go get a veteran in the portal who's proven to be a good quarterback at the college level. That would be Jeff Brom doing his job. That would be Jeff Brom doing what you're supposed to do as a head coach. But if you're Pierce Clarkson and you got to look out for yourself, is that the one where you say, Okay, I waited long enough and I can go compete for this guy who's walking in as a transfer who started, you know, three seasons in the Big ten or something. But like you can read the room that they think this guy's probably better, and you may transfer and try to you know it, It won't mean that anybody has done anything wrong. It will be just an example right in front of our face, as Louisville fans, of how different the quarterback position is now because of the transfer portal. That makes sense, John, Like it might not mean that like Chis Clarkson could end up going on elsewhere and being really good and we could look back and say, man, I wish we would have kept him. But if you you know, react to it in real time. If you're Jeff Brahm, or any coach. If you know you can go get a player that's gonna make you better in the portal, you're gonna go do that, right, Like, it's just no way around it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could because the only thing that you you don't really hurt yourself by doing that. And I guess the best case scenario for the guy who may be on the come up is you can if there's a quarterback battle between Clarkson and whoever you may be bring in from the transfer portal, Clarkson will have an opportunity to show that he may be better than whoever that guy is that you're bringing in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's just gonna it's a still different, wouldn't I don't think it would be a bad look on Pierce if that situation played out and instead of you know, competing with a with a veteran once again, he just decided to go get a fresh start elsewhere. Like you know, some would say, well, he's running from competition, and I get why people would say that, but at the end of the day, you got to look out for yourself and if you feel as if you still have a tough time envisioning yourself as the starter, as the guy and this is that would have been and this is his third year here. I guess this is a second year here. I just I don't know. It's a lot. The quarterback is just off all the positions in sports when it comes to the transfer portal, the quarterback one is just different, just like in the NFL the running back position. Like you can't even really talk about the running back position in the NFL the same way you do any other position because it's just so different. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up the five o'clock hour, which means, you know, we're wrapping up the show. I can't belief a fast today's gone by, good stuff that usually happened one Monday. There's just so much to react to here from the weekend. So stick with us. Coffee and company, I feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, we were wrapping up a Tuesday day of coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's appreciate you guys hanging out with us. I mean when I said I think this might have been the fastest the show has ever gone by, I mean each show is, you know, most of them I should say the exact amount, same amount of time, three hours.
Speaker 3: When you said five o'clock hours next an hour ago. I was like, hold on, does he know what he's talking about? And yeah, you're absolutely right. And I usually don't react.
Speaker 2: Like that, and I usually don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I was in fact correct there that it was the five o'clock hour that was approaching. So if you guys missed any of today's show, make sure you go and check out the podcast. Again. Monday's this time of year, not just this time of year, but really Monday's during football basketball season. I usually in this show and it's not a Monday, but it kind of is, you know what I mean, we're reacting from the weekend. In fact, there's more to react to because we had an extra day in the weekend. But I usually in the show knowing, hey, I got a lot more. I got to get right into the next day because we didn't have a chance to get to all of it. So we will do that tomorrow and you know, get you set for another big weekend, not only of college football, the NFL season will be starting on Thursday. I can't wait to see Lamar and the Ravens take on Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs. I mean, I mean, I'm starting to have a little bit of a of a worry when it comes to Lamar, not about his ability or his you know, his likelihood of succeeding. I think the Ravens are going to be really good again this year. But I just it'd be a real kick in the you know what as a Lamar fan for him to continue to be sensational, maybe even picking up another NFL MVP trophy along the way. But like, if all this success happens and yet the dynasty that is the Chiefs are just in the way, like that would suck. It would suck. But hey, I don't think there's anybody right now that's gonna get it. I mean, hopefully they don't win it again this year because I don't like the Chiefs. But nonetheless, you know, that's the best matchup to get. This season started on Thursday, and I look forward to it. All Right, we're out of time again. Enjoy your evening and come back and join us right here tomorrow at three o'clock on Sports Talk seven ninety