Speaker 1: We continue on Fred Rogan, Rodney Pete on a five to seventy LA Sports giving away those tickets Chargers and Ravens giving them away this hour. The game is Monday night and so far, we'll give you a cue to call. And if you missen any of the show today, Dylan ornandis I thought really did a good job during the one o'clock hour. Yeah, you did. Going back, listen to the podcast. Kevin puts it up the minute we get off the air. Get the iHeartRadio app. Download the app. If you don't have it, you should because you can check out what we said. The podcast is there, and if you have it, you can stream the show wherever you go live. Put us in your pocket, keep us close to your heart. We want to feel your heart beat and we will just put the phone in your pocket, your shirt pocket, put on your earphones, walk around and listen to us. Your chest protector, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm still picking you and that oversized chest protector at nine.
Speaker 1: No, I got it. I understand. Yeah, I hear you. Okay, So you want to go to spring training. Camel Back Ranch is right around the corner, and it's a great place to watch a baseball game. We don't have to regale you with the tales of what we did in the past there. But it was fun. And by the way, camel Back Ranch has the best plan.
Speaker 2: You want to You don't want to go back to the trip we took. No, you don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: No, you mean the best trip they've ever had, the best one. Is that what you're talking about. Yes, that's what I'm talking about. You're talking about the one where you grabbed the microphone on the plane and started making announcements. Yes, I did, and they loved it that trip. Yes, that's where we went out to stay with everybody. Yes, we went out to dinner with everyone. The plane ride.
Speaker 2: They wished that plane ride was like six hours as opposed to an hour to Phoenix because we were having so much fun on the plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wanted it to keep going and keep circling. Right. So the trip where they had the best trip ever. And the next year we said, boy, we're so excited. Uh, when's the trip And we never went again, never went to spring training again. But that's what we learned. And if you go to Camelback Ranch you probably will experience this. That is the best grass you'll ever feel. Oh yeah, I don't care where you go, what grass you walk on. If you like grass, go to camel Back Ranch, yes, because that'll be dawn.
Speaker 2: There, and take a nap and you will be floating in the clouds.
Speaker 1: If you could. If you could, and you can't, don't do it. You'll be arrested. If you could just take off all your clothes and roll around in that grass. Yeah, you would be the happiest person. You would. It's that good. The grass is that good. I'm serious. It's very nurturing, it's very warm, it's good grass. It's great grass.
Speaker 2: It's great Grass's great grass, and it just echoes the fact. I mean you grew up there, Fred, Well, you know, grew up in Detroit but didn't move to Zona, so you spend a lot of time there. I grew up in Arizona and know how the grass can be very, very good. I remember I remember being at USC And you know one thing you do is you rate the stadiums and the fields that you play on when you go play them, especially teams that you play every single year, like at that time when there was a pack ten conference and back twelve conference. But when there was a conference. You knew those teams and those places that you played every single year, and every single year we looked forward well, I guess it was every other year because you didn't play them every year there. Every other year you look forward to playing at ASU, Arizona State University, and Arizona, you know, the U of A and Tucson because you knew the grass was going to be unbelievable and it was a fast track. You always used to say that that's a fast track. Oh, that's a fast track. Arizona State and and and Arizona was always that was a fast track. We love playing on that grass because it gave you everything. It was like carpet and it was so manicured so well, and the same thing with camelback ran. It just took that to a whole different level because you did you feel like you want to just lay down there and take a nap.
Speaker 3: So just a little bit better than the silver dome there, Rudney a little bit, just like.
Speaker 1: A little bit Kevin a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Basically, just painted the concrete, I believe.
Speaker 1: That's all they did. They painted the concrete.
Speaker 2: You know, it'd be a concert the night before and you know they rolled that that that half an inch turf that they would roll down on top of that concrete. Sometimes there would be beer bottles underneath the concrete, I mean underneath.
Speaker 1: The turf that they rolled down.
Speaker 2: They forgot to take the beer bottles out and the bottle caps that were underneath that turf that they rolled out.
Speaker 1: If you got hit at the Silver Dome on that concrete turf, yeah, and you went down, did you realize, Oh you felt it.
Speaker 2: You felt it like you know, like Vic used to talk about playing football in the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was that. It was that.
Speaker 2: It was that hard, like there was it was no cushion whatsoever falling on that turf.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: Then on top of that, it was the worst turf because it would burn you if you fell down on it too, So it was like synthetic so plastic basically. And then and once you fell down on it, it would slide in would burn your skin, so you would have all kinds of rug burns on your skin after every single game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not good. Standards were very low back then, all right, But you brought something up a second ago, and I just want to say this, we don't have to elaborate on it, but I'd like to get it out there. Okay, Oh, well, you know you talked about Arizona State and Arizona in the grass in both fields. Please do not bring up the dirty tea again. Please don't do that. Why I love the dirty tea. The dirty tea is something special, The dirty tea, dirty tea is something special. No, when you grew up in Phoenix, you you didn't like the dirty tea, the dirt.
Speaker 2: No, it was the dirty tea until I heard it from Alex Verdugo when he came to become a Dodger and he talked about the dirty tea. Or actually Justin Turner told me, Yeah, Erdugo tells me from the same hometown as you, the dirty tea. I was like, what are you talking about the dirty Justin what are you talking about dirty tea? Yeah, Verdugo says, it's the dirty tea Tucson. It's called the dirty tea. Like, oh okay, But then I got it. I was like, yeah, I guess it is the dirty Yeah, right, exactly, dirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It doesn't take a lot of thought to understand what the dirty tea is. Yes, when it way back to Kendleback Ranch and the grass. Dodger spring training right around the corner. Can you it's seriously right around the corner. It's unbelievable. So if the Dodgers win the World Series, and what does that mean, it means it's gonna cost you little more now to go to spring training. So the deal is this, if you can't afford to go to Dodger Stadium, spring training is a fun alternative. And also, if you get a chance, if you if you care and you get a chance, not a bad idea to spend a couple of days in Phoenix and go to multiple games because that really is fun. Now, granted, you're really not gonna see anybody. You only see a bunch of lot You'll see a lot of guys trying to make the team. The starters will play a little bit, but it's you're really close to the players and it's a good time. I used to love it when I lived there. I went to spring training every day. I thought it was the best. So here's what it's gonna cost you this year. Four games. If you want to set on the grass, and that's fun to set on the outfield grass, it really is. It's gonna cost you between twenty nine and eighty one dollars twenty nine and eighty one dollars per game if you sit on the outfield grass. H Okay, my mistake. That's what seats are going to cost you. That was my bad seats. If you don't want to set on the grass, between twenty nine and eighty one dollars seat, and really for spring training, there's no bad seat in the house, right if you want to sit on the grass. It's forty to fifty three dollars on weekends, twenty five to forty two dollars on week days. That's what it's going to cost. Uh. You know they share the facility with the Chicago White Sox. Yes, so the days the Dodgers don't play at Camel Back Ranch, the White Sox will. And it says you can get a seat right behind home plate for a nickel, So you know that might be a pretty good I.
Speaker 3: Don't believe that's true, Fred, Maybe you just made that one up.
Speaker 1: Nickel. Yes, I made that up, but I made it up to.
Speaker 3: The joke the White Sox will pay you to come to the game. Is that what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What are you trying to say right there it is. Yeah, well, given how awful they work, and see Miguel Vargas in the dugout and bring training off the crime.
Speaker 3: Oh he has to see the Dodger players all around town all day every day.
Speaker 1: God, you know.
Speaker 2: So so the days walking out to the facility where they're working out, you know, they each got their own locker room, and you know, you come into the main you know, main door, and Dodgers go right and then White Sox go left, and you know, Miguel comes in and he's pulling up and he's like watching the Dodger guys go to the right and he's got to go to the left.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then when the workout's over, you know they're all because the end of the workouts at about the same time, they're all congregating, you know, they're they're leaving now, you know. And Freddie Freeman says to uh, Miggi Rojas, hey man, you want to get a bite to eat. And at that moment, Miguel Vargas is coming out of the White Sox clubhouse, right mm hmmm. So Freddie says, hey, Miggi, you want to get a bite to eat, and Vargus go sure, Freddy goes No.
Speaker 2: Not you mag Rojas, God you wrong, Miggy wrong, Miggy cold blooded, Fred cold blooded.
Speaker 1: But it was funny. No, yes, it was. Okay. So when we come back, really interesting news involving Charles Barkley and the TNT guys. It's really interesting. We're going to talk about it. Oh, yes, come on on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have taken a few liberties and tangents on the road to get in here. Today. I'm looking at Fred Rogan and his catcher's outfit. I call it an outfit because it's not a uniform. It's an outfit the.
Speaker 1: Way I'm gonna try to find No, I'm gonna try to find a picture, please, because I know. I know. It's the oversized.
Speaker 2: Chest protector and the oversized shin guards and the oversized helmet with the mask.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: Did you have the helmet connected to the face mask or did you have a hat backwards with a face mask over it.
Speaker 1: I had a helmet backwards.
Speaker 2: You had a helmet, Okay, so you had the helmet. It was it was like the plastic helmet that you turned backwards. It wasn't connected. No, okay, I was old school, old school. Okay, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Didn't do the Yogi he didn't do the Yogi bear, just like cloth hat. No, no, no, no, no. I had the helmet.
Speaker 2: Okay, you had the helmet, but not a not a connected helmet. Let's they started doing back in that day.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't come on. What do you think I am. I was out there gutting it out, man. I wasn't wearing that kind of stuff. I was going real yeah, all right, So I think this is pretty interesting if you haven't heard about it. You know, with the NBA switching partners after this season, tn T was out. It's Amazon, NBC and ESPN, ABC. So tn T was out. What did that mean? That was the end of the best studio show in sports television by far the end. Everybody tries to copy it. Nobody can because you can't create chemistry. People have it or they don't, and that group does. And it centered around Charles Barkley. But I would tell you Ernie Johnson's role as is as important as Charles Barkley. Ernie Ernie Johnson as good as it gets in the business. Okay, So anyway, when TNT lost the NBA, that was it. For them. I thought, oh my god, they're gonna put him on the hockey pregame show because they have hockey or they have Nascar. I mean, what are they gonna do with them? As they ended up doing. Never heard of it before. ESPN has agreed to license inside the NBA the Turner Show beginning next season, so before ESPN games you're going to see the Turner guys on TV. Now, the Turner guys are still going to do it from Atlanta, and they're still going to produce their show, so it won't even be produced by ESPN. They're simply going to take the show and move it and let the Turner guys do their thing, which I think is brilliant, brilliant. With all due respect to the people that work on the ESPN pregame shows, they're not even close to those guys. Actually nobody is. But they're the gold standard of basketball and the gold standard of studio shows. The only thing close to that truly are the Fox shows.
Speaker 2: For football NFL Sunday Fox Yeah, Yeah, because they get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even the show before that were Carrissa hosts. That's where they're grooming the guys to move up to the other show that's pretty good too. They just get it, they understand it, and Turner wrote the book on it. So that show is going to move and it's going to be licensed by ESPN from Turner. So really, in the big picture, what does that mean. That means Channel four would license Rob Fukazaki sportscast to run on Channel four. That's what it means. They are licensing it from another company. So what happens to the current ESPN people, Well, the Turner guys are going to do big events. You know, they'll do the finals opening Sunday, and I think they'll do all the games after the first of the year on Saturdays when ABC has Game, the ESPN people will do the other games, their pregame show, their studio show. So what will happen is they'll come on and do whatever they're gonna do, and then the Turner guys will come on and really do it. Now the ESPN people, this is gonna change things a little bit for them because the way ESPN works it's so commercial driven that when you would see the crew that did it last year do it at halftime of the NBA Finals, they'd be on for like three minutes because they were all commercials. They can't do that with the tn T guys. They're gonna have let them go and be them. I think it's fascinating. It's never been done before, but it shows how things have changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it almost kind of you know, reminds me a little bit. I don't know if you remember when and there was that big shakeup where Fox was coming on board, right, Fox was they had the money and Murdoch took over and he's like, we're going to spend the money and where we where where do we spend the money? We gotta we gotta capture sports. And they went after the NFL and they went hard and they got them and they stole it from I don't want to they stole it, but CBS. They took the NFC from CBS, right, remember that, And they also took the CBS talent to Fox. James Brown, Brown, Bradshaw, they took they took Madden in summer role, who were the CBS number one crew, and they brought him to Fox became the Fox number one crew.
Speaker 1: You remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was you know, kind of reminds me of that where they saw the talent where CBS had the talent in terms of their on air personalities, and we're going to take them as we take over the NFL, and we're going to bring these guys on board.
Speaker 1: And and they brought them on board.
Speaker 2: And and and obviously they took it to a different level because when Madden and Summer all, you know, became the number one guys at Fox, they were they took it to a different level.
Speaker 1: Than they had it at CBS.
Speaker 2: Same thing with with JB and there in the pregame show JB.
Speaker 1: They went to Fox, they gave them, I guess they gave more leeway.
Speaker 2: And it was more, it was more, it was younger, it was hipper, it was all of those things. And they brought that talent over there and it just off to the races, which they did. It feels like the same thing that they're doing right here is that they understand that the talent level at T and T is we don't want to break that up and and they.
Speaker 1: Do have the best. So the question is what happens to that.
Speaker 2: That rival crew that worked at ESPN that is now taking a back seat to Charles Kenny and and and Ernie and and Uh and Shaq and those guys what happens to those guys and how do they feel about it?
Speaker 1: Well, they feel terrible. I can promise you they feel awful. They're still gonna be on. I think they're gonna be on before these guys.
Speaker 2: So they're doing the they're doing the pre pre show and then when they do, they do the off off games off nights.
Speaker 1: They'll do that. And I wonder how much the NBA.
Speaker 2: And all those you know that that crew, right, And so they're they're gonna they're taking a back seat to the other guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be interesting. Yeah, well they're they're getting paid, and they're paid to do what they tell them to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, paid is one thing again, but it's it's all about quality and you're doing your job and being the best and being at the top of your game, and now you've got to take a back seat to somebody coming over taking your spot. Yep, that's not an easy thing. I don't care how much you getting paid. That's not that's not an easy thing to kind of just do or take.
Speaker 1: No, it's awful. Of course, the alternative is they take your spot, you don't get paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everything, Fred, But to say, oh, they're getting paid, so they should be okay with it.
Speaker 1: No they're not. Well, no, I promise you they're not. But I wonder if the NBA had anything to do with this, because if you remember, Warner Brothers shut the NBA after they lost the contract, and as part of a settlement with the league this happened. So the league settled with Warner Brothers. I think they gave digital rights for the next ten years the only people that could have those, and some other perks. They still had some international territories where they provide games. They still run NBA TV and NBA dot Com for the next five years. So I think maybe this TNT tow ESPN might have been part of this giant set that the NBA figured out.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guarantee you the NBA was involved in that. They don't want to lose that talent. They they had a footprint around the world with those guys, those four guys, like you mentioned, T and T guys, they were the best in the business of all sports. And to to lose that or not to be able to kind of continue that, they realized that they're not you know, they're not so you know brand, you know, dominant and feel like they got to keep their own people in their own brand. Understand that there the other guys might have a better show than we had, and why not, let's let's keep those guys going and bring them over here.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a big move.
Speaker 2: It's not easy to put your ego aside and say, look, those guys got a better show than we do, let's bring them all over. So I'm sure it hurt from the talent pool, the Steven A. Smith and and who else was on that show, Malik Andrews and and and Kendrick and my man my man from partnering interruption, Wilburn, Wilburd, Wilbon, Mike, Mike Wilburon. Yeah, so I'm sure you know, it bothers them a little bit, but it also I'm sure bothers the producers of the show all of that. It's like, you know, we we thought we did a pretty good job. But the unfortunate thing that they were second behind those guys, and and and a distance second at that. And so the big brass that he has man said, we're not going to why are we losing that? Because you remember Charles was ready to retire Charles, he was done it's like, I'm out, I'm not gonna We're not doing this show anymore. And he made a big deal about it and was signing off, and they brought it, you know, they brought him back.
Speaker 1: Who knows what that number is to bring them all back over there? Who wants to go see the Chargers and Ravens Monday night at SOFI Stadium? Who eight six six nine, it's like six ninety seven two five seventy. Rodney would call her number seven seven, All right, caller seven. And when we come back, let's see if you can bear it.
Speaker 2: Come out, Oh stre Rodney, pet bread Rogan winding down a Tuesday afternoon for us. Now, come on, Freddy, bring it. Ever had an encounter with a bear?
Speaker 1: I have not? Actually, okay, I haven't either, have not face you haven't.
Speaker 2: No, well, no, you know in many animals, if you've had encounters with land or sea or there, I'm surprised that you've never had any encounter with a bear.
Speaker 1: Ever. Tell you about the time that, oh lord, here we go. No, I'm just saying this real quick, because you brought it up. The giant the giant bird basically defecated on me in Kando park. It can'to in Phoenix. Uh huh. I was sitting there eating a burrita at this park. I know the park very well, right. I was eating a burrito and a bird crapped on me. Then a duck tried to attack me. I wanted part of my burrito, and I gave the duck part of the burrito, and it ran into the water real fast and started yapping its jaws because the burrito was hot. He wanted the burrito and he wasn't going to leave me alone. Yeah, so the bird crapped on me, and then the duck tried to attack me. I've never told that anyway. Oh my god, So here's the bear that's wrong with you? I don't know. I was just minding my own business. Seriously, what is wrong with you? I had a pink shirt on. I'll never forget. I was working at kpn X and Phoenix having a little burrito from the stand on fifteenth and Grand where the greatest burritos in the world. And then it was like a little shack. And then the woman that ran it died and it went out of business. And that was a really sad day for her family and for me because I love those burritos. So here's the deal with the Bo's wrong with you and animals? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. One day a dog bit me. I don't know, Belie, all right, So here's the thing with the bear.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you've come in contact with the real bear, you know that that's bad news. But there seem to be this uh series of bears getting into cars and scratching them up and stealing things. You know, a bear can open the door and walk into your house. We've seen that because bears have thumbs. Okay, so the bears have thumb primates like monkeys and chips, all right, so they can do that.
Speaker 2: And it was just enough. They have thumbs, I'd just say that. And the claws they can grab, they can grab things. Yeah, they have claws and claw your head off. So anyway, they were getting into these cars and clawing them up and stealing things. And then the people that owned the cars, and they were expensive cars like a Rolls Royce and a Mercedes, they were filing insurance claims and they were being paid off.
Speaker 1: Well. The insurance company, of course, looked at things very carefully, very careful, and I said wait a minute, we don't think bears could do this. And it turns out the bears didn't do it. What the bears were caught on camera there were people dressed as bears. A people put on bear costumes and tried to act like bears and go into cars, steal stuff, steal stuff out of cars as bears. Yeah yeah, I mean they showed the bear inside a couple of Mercedes. Oh my god. So anyway, they had an expert look at this, and the expert said, wait a minute, those aren't real bears, they're people dressed as bears. So then the police are investigating this. Somehow, they get a lead on somebody, They go with a search warrant to their house. There are bear costumes in there. There are bear costumes in there. People are getting dressed as bears people's cars.
Speaker 2: So they could get caught because they said, oh, it's this, there's a bear outrage in the city. Bears are breaking into people's cars and stealing items out of the cars.
Speaker 1: It's the bear's fault, so we won't get caught. Ah. Man, Now that's to just have to say listen, and you know, consider this any way you want. We just told you the story. There are people dressed in bears costumes doing things. That's not to suggest if you come upon a bear you immediately believe it's someone inside in a costume. Please assume it's a real bear. Do not try to reason with the person. Do not start speaking to the bear and expecting them to respond, because it's probably a real bear. These people were caught, these people are done. Just don't make the mistake because, as you would say, Rodney, the bear will go bear, the bear will go bear. Always, don't trust the animal the animal.
Speaker 2: The animal is the animal, and revert back to being the animal, whether it's a bear, a dog, an alligator, a tiger, a lion, whatever it may be, elephant, something that you think is nice.
Speaker 1: Oh, and a nice hippo. No, the hippo will go hippo, right, and once.
Speaker 3: You give them a catalytic converter, then I'll walk off nicely with it.
Speaker 1: All right. That was better than my life, Ronnie, thank you appreciate it. Kevin, great job. And Rodney, we get him again tomorrow. Let's do it.