Speaker 1: Well whiskey, come and take my pain the money all ry.
Speaker 2: Why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's three whiskey Happy Hour, join your bartenders Steve Hayward, John Yu and the International Woman of Mystery Lucretia.
Speaker 3: Where they slapped it up and it ain't easy on the should stop got it giving.
Speaker 2: W All right, you guys, aren't we glad that Drive January is over? Did you guys both survive January well enough?
Speaker 4: Or did you try January?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: What did Joe? What do you mean January mean?
Speaker 1: Drive January is? Was we were supposed to give up alcohol for a month? Why? I don't know? I mean I I borrow, I dredged up and re stated.
Speaker 2: Will Rogers famous line about prohibition, which in my case was at least drive January doesn't mean no liquor at all?
Speaker 4: I know you know what it is?
Speaker 5: Where does this idea come from the latest.
Speaker 4: Thing from the CDC who wants us all to believe that alcohol is the greatest cause of every disease ever known to man? That it's a that you know that it's almost a quarter of a millionth of a jump in your chances of getting cancer if you drink, and I mean it's it's just the latest thing, like you shouldn't be barbecuing your meat because of the carbon and it's just stupid. So I'm drinking more because of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if they make me give up alcohol, I'm going to take up smoking because you know they okay, they snap that out.
Speaker 4: Speaking of it's getting a lot of a lot of play that RFK had a nicotine gum or or shoe or something like that in the middle of the pretty rough hearings, So you can't blame that he was a heroin.
Speaker 5: If he can't have alcohol, I'm going to take a funanol.
Speaker 2: Well all right, So so by the way, how are you, Crazi?
Speaker 1: How are you? John? You're doing well this week? I think, I hope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, after we recorded last weekend, the Eagles won the NFC Championship. We're going to go to the Super Bowl, and I wish I could beat in New Orleans watching the Eagles and eating mcred simultaneously, but I can't be and a soft pretzel. But this is like the best thing, This is the most important thing I should tell. It's a true story, but it's also a joke. It's a true story. Is my mom was a psychiatrist and she worked in a psychiatric hospital in Philadelphia for forty years. And so the other day I said to her, you know, Philadelphia is a crazy city, said mom, was there ever a day where there were no new patients? And she said yes, the day after the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Ah, true story.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, you know your fans have gotten even more of a bad rap because of how you know, subhuman. They tend to act on occasion like the guy who you know made all those nasty comments to that woman. I think she was a Chiefs fan. No, no, it was before that. Whatever it was, she was anyway, and he got kicked out forever he can never go to another Eagles game. And then he got fired because he worked for some DEI company that remember that that believes in belonging and anyway, But I will tell you this. There's a big story a couple of days ago about the fact that the Eagles had extended a very generous invitation package to the Super Bowl to one of the guys in New Orleans who had been his buddy. Was they both played for Princeton football. For Princeton, his buddy was killed and he was seriously seriously injured, and so the Eagles are are rolling out the red and he's still in pretty bad shape, fractures everywhere and so on. He was hit by the car, the truck, So the Eagles are making a big deal out of him to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: You don't see I don't think you see any Seagles players taking a kneed during the national anthem. I'll tell you that much. Philadelphia doesn't never don't stand for that kind I don't think so we don't stand for that kind of stuff. That's a forty That's a San Francisco thing, right, that's Colin Kaepernick in the San Francisco forty nine ers and all their PC football, right, But all.
Speaker 4: The others did it too, and the NFL was pretty despicable in that whole thing.
Speaker 1: But I agree, Yeah, I think that's now.
Speaker 2: But since you mentioned McRib john, that's one of the pieces of housekeeping to get to here in our opening today. And I was gonna do it in different order, but you brought it up, so let's do it now. It is my sad duty to tell our listeners that it has become necessary in the course of human events for the three Whiskey Happy Hour to declare holy war on the Commentary Magazine podcast because.
Speaker 6: Earlier this week they went on the war path about how disgusting the McRib is not once not just in passing they did at the beginning of the show in a prolonged fashion because actually John pot Hard it's not like John, but he never does anything briefly.
Speaker 4: And someone there Whiskey Happy Hour.
Speaker 1: The kettle black.
Speaker 2: But then they came back to it to the end of the episode too, so they doubled down on just in the McRib And you know, look, I made my view is clear. I don't like the McRib either, but they don't get to do that. And this is a three Musketeers moments, all for one and one for all. So listeners, we have declared war on the Commentary Magazine podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Probably thinks that it's better if they do because they'll mean more for him.
Speaker 5: Well there's that, But can I ask, like, did they attack the McRib or did they attack McDonald's overall, because if you attack McDonald's, this is like from you know, the famous speech from Animal House, then you're attacking the United States America.
Speaker 1: Right, No, No, it was just the McRib.
Speaker 4: Still, I think you could make the same Uh, you could make the same progression, John. If you attacked the McRib, you're attacking McDonald's, which means you are attacking the United States of America.
Speaker 2: I did think, I mean, look, I'm I'm a good old fashioned proto wasp, and I did think it was interesting and revealing who exactly a'm on the commentary crowd or not, shall we say, strictly observant Jews when it comes to their fast food preference sell.
Speaker 5: Then how do they know what a mcgrip tastes like?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 5: Can it?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was wondering. But I don't want to chase too far after that or we'll get in the usual trouble.
Speaker 5: So the usual trouble. Oh, this is going to you know, And this is just once again the snooty New York City Manhattan elites looking down on the rest of the country, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: By when we move on from that and say that my favorite executive order, John, I think you should be for this is Uh. Trump should mandate that mcgribby part of the school lunch program. Then we'd have it year round.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 5: All that plus next you know how he usually welcomes. Remember he welcomed I think the NCAA men's football champions or basketball. I remember he had a big picture of him piled in the White House, piled with big max and quarter pounders. Well he should add mcgribs next time.
Speaker 2: Well, I I mean he was by the ways everything and they had Chick fil a and again he had all the you know but this true?
Speaker 5: Yeah, who I wouldn't. But look, this is the thing. It's that, as you all know, the McRib is a very special sandwich. It's not available all the time. It only comes out for certain precise seasons. And I bet that wasn't available when Trump had his celebration. Sam, Yeah, oh, Rush, I could spam sushi they'd be more lucky. But I bet you know, I bet the guys on commentary don't know this because they don't even even really eat mcgribs. They just look down on America.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Let me let me change that.
Speaker 2: We're declaring limited war, not unconditional total war.
Speaker 5: So is there anything whatever leads you to believe that Lucretia or I believe in limited war?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I had a whole thought about that that I believe on the cutting room floor. One other piece of housekeeping, briefly, listeners, the reason we're coming on a little later than usual, you know, half a day late, whatever is. I was on the road to something, John, you actually got me involved in. I had to go back to Villanova Law School to be the keynote speaker, and, much to my sort of discomfort because I don't like the lime light, sort of the focus of his day long conference at the annual SCARPA Conference on Law, Politics, and Culture, so pretty broad scale. I had no idea John that, and I clearly have brought down their average. But among the luminaries who've been their keynote speakers and focus for the day include Justice Scalia obviously many years ago, Martha Nusbam, who I don't like worth of darn, but she's a big figure in the sort of academic philosophical world.
Speaker 1: And then how did I get on this list?
Speaker 5: And anyway, it's about conservative thought? What did you tell them? I read the paper. I hope you'll post it, but I was hoping at least if seventy five to one hundred great minds came together at least someone would finally be able to figure out what the hell you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're just too optimistic, John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you should have.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I just do want to say thanks to Patrick Brennan, who had.
Speaker 1: Never met before.
Speaker 5: He's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a very serious guy.
Speaker 2: Uh and has a you know, an interesting political philosophy though he became a law professor.
Speaker 1: Yes, and to his staff.
Speaker 2: And you know, Steven Smith from Yale was there, and he's a very nice guy in a very gentle manner. But he picked a fight with me on a couple of things where he thought I'd gone too.
Speaker 1: Far and that was fun.
Speaker 2: Dan Mahoney and I had dinner the night before and got shushed in the restaurant for talking too loudly.
Speaker 5: Oh where'd you go?
Speaker 1: What was Steve?
Speaker 5: Steve's Steve's cheesteaks, Steve's No.
Speaker 1: No, we were out in what rabb Hopefully.
Speaker 4: They weren't a no no no.
Speaker 2: We were at a nice restaurant in the hotel we were staying, and we a few patrons found.
Speaker 1: Us to be too loud, and that's probably true.
Speaker 2: Dan's a large, loud guy and saw my and I haven't seen him for ten years. Anyway, it was fun and I will probably post the paper awesome anyway, And then the only other thing is, you know, I keep threatening We're gonna do three whiskey happy hour whiskey glasses for listeners who are interested.
Speaker 1: I wonder should we do onesies? I mean, that's the thing. The way the hell are you onesies? See you missed this too, John. It was the highlight of the week.
Speaker 2: Was Bernie Sanders glowering at RFK Junior, pointing to a slide of you know, onesies, a little baby clothes.
Speaker 1: You do you support these onesies? And in my mind, I'm trying to think. I don't know if Bernie Sanders sayst.
Speaker 4: Well, because because supposedly the anti vaxers are out there for twenty eight dollars, you can buy your child, your your infant, because infants wear onesies and I guess, uh the what Chris Chris Christie also wears onesies. Anyway, The baby onesies say things like anti vaxxin proud of it, things like that, So they make some money to support some of their efforts by selling onesies that say things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I in my mind, I was trying to conjure up Bernie Sanders changing a diaper. I don't know if he has kids or grandkids, but it was and what he might say. There's a comedy sketch to be written there because it's.
Speaker 4: The Maha moms. John, Are you aware of the Maha moms?
Speaker 5: Oh? Make America healthy again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And there supposedly the movement out there of the Maha moms is greater than the suburban soccer moms that brought Clinton into power. We'll see, yeah see, but that was a big reason supposedly that they voted for Trump. Remember all the dire warnings about the suburban moms would all go for Come Milama ding Dong, but instead they all voted for Trump. And supposedly it's because of RFK Junior.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, listeners, this week we are going to do instead of a single topic and going after it in depth, we're going to go to our round robin format where each of us brings up a topic or article or something on our mind or a rant or whatever. And we were going to start with Lucretia right after these messages from our sponsors. Don't go away, all right, Lucretia you're up.
Speaker 1: What's on your mind this week?
Speaker 4: Well, there's a lot on my mind, but you only are going to let me talk about one of those things. So I had to prioritize here and what I want to talk about for all of my faithful listeners out there, who are in fact of the faithful i e. Catholics, this was an interesting week for all of us, a very interesting week. So you have jd Vance, who is, like me, a fairly recent convert to Catholicism. And you know, we recent converts don't necessarily have that cradle Catholic cradle mentality where whatever the Pope says is gospel, sorry forgive the pun, nor do we care too much what the bishops have to say. You know, we came to this whole thing from an intellectual point of view, and then and faith and what the bishops say. But what came out this week very clearly, and you can again thank Elon Musk for making a very big deal out of this, is that the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, which has not been a great organization for a very long time, it turns out that they have received over the course of let's just say, the Biden administration. It didn't start in the Biden administration, but it got much worse, literally hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars to provide what shall we say, assistants to refugees and immigrants. And know, part of the very big problem with that, I think I might have even mentioned it on a podcast some weeks ago, is that there's a camp that's not too far from my house on the other side of the foothills that's run by the bishops, and ango aligned with the bishops gets federal money to house immigrants on their way through the mountains. You know, it's the whole thing is despicable, especially because I mean, the bishops came out this week and they trashed Trump's executive orders on immigration and his deportation. As you put it, John, we're not supposed to say deportation anymore. We have to say removal, right, that's the legal word that along with illegal aliens. That's that's in the law too, Okay, illegal aliens. And so you know, they're finding that this goes against Christian practice and so on, and and of course you know, the hypocrisy is so thick here because all of these last four years they didn't care a damn about the fact that Biden, supposedly a practicing Catholic, was pro abortion in every possible way, pro transgender you know, on and on all the despicable things that came out of the Biden administration at least nodded at, nodded to by Biden. If whether or not he was behind them, it's hard to say if he was behind anything anyway. So Jady Vans gets on there with Margaret Margaret, I won't, I won't. I won't run it for you. Steve, I'll leave it for you. But and and has this interesting discussion and it's, believe it or not, a discussion that we had a few weeks ago, and one of our listeners took me to task for it. I didn't bother to answer her because it wasn't worth it to me at the time. And that is the notion it was when we were talk about Jimmy Carter, and I said that the thing I found most despicable about Jimmy Carter was when he was preening about the fact that he felt so guilty and cried every night because he cared more about amy than he did about some random poverty stricken child in Africa, and I just you know, that's everything that that defines everything that's despicable about the Left, which is, let's care about people. Let's let's show, let's virtue signal how much we care about people that we can't do much about. We certainly can't personally do anything about it. We can force our tax dollars to go to that, and that's what we should do it for good Christians or whatever. Anyway, Jamie Vance took him down, and he did it by he did it by referencing a biblical precept, something out of Thomas Aquinas called the Ordo Amorus or the order of Love. And it's really very clear in Christian theology. Despite people who want to say that the Good Samaritan parable says the opposite, it doesn't. I want. I'm not going to do a sermon today, I promise, but the order of love is very simple God, you, your family, your neighbor, your commune, unity, your nation, and then the world. And there's a whole lot of reasons for it, which I won't go into. But boy, do I like that guy, JD. Vance? Oh well for commentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I've got a couple of comments, and then also sort of a minor scandal to share with John.
Speaker 1: It relates to aquinas a litill find funny.
Speaker 2: I think, look, Advance did this with a bit of trumpy and genius and baiting the liberals to expose themselves, because never mind the theology for a moment, to say that you should care about migrants as much as or more than your own family, is that really a good look for liberals? I mean, that just goes against nature, never mind theology.
Speaker 4: It's incredible, that's why they push it, because it goes against nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, the fair point, right.
Speaker 2: I mean that goes along with the you know, the socialist impulse to nationalize the children and goes back to Plato.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The bit about the Catholic bishops, I mean, boy, I had them in my gun sights back in the eighties when they were behind the nuclear freeze and opposing Reagan's foreign policy. But about the federal grants to Catholic charities and such, that's been going on for a long time for all kinds of things, you know, homeless services and all the rest. But as you may know, and John, maybe you may or may not know, and I forget the details but they might as well not have the word Catholic in the name of any of them, because the grants are.
Speaker 1: Conditional that there's no spiritual.
Speaker 2: Element, no religious element in the grant programs. That's why they usually aly to an NGO. Really, I think a lot of these Catholic organizations are laundering the money from the NGOs who do the actual work. And I mean this was an issue with you know, President George W. Bush's Faith based initiatives. They wanted to chip away at that, thinking, you know, if you're gonna have a faith based organizations, maybe we'll let them talk about their faith as an element in those services they deliver. Right, No, of course there's lots of problems there, but that was controversial with the left. Oh we can't have it asked to be one hundred percent secular. And then finally John Halter over to you. So John Carlow and I'm forgetting his last name for heritage, was at the conference. I keep wanting to call him Carfano, but that's James the forum. But anyway, John Carla was very good.
Speaker 1: Young guy.
Speaker 5: Carlo cam That's it.
Speaker 1: John Carlo Camparo told the funny story.
Speaker 2: He said, uh yeah, I bought a copy of the Suma Theologica to use, and I tried to expense it.
Speaker 1: The Heritage Foundation wouldn't let me.
Speaker 2: I thought, well, boot boot on heritage, then really that should that should be a legitimate job expense.
Speaker 1: And anyway, that was funny.
Speaker 4: Take it off your taxes.
Speaker 2: But I know, anyway, John, what do you have to add on if anything?
Speaker 5: Or well, you guys are both Catholic, right, I don't get why Steve's like our friend.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I'm Eastern Orthodox?
Speaker 5: Are you really?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: No? Oh gosh, I.
Speaker 1: Know this.
Speaker 2: Icons in your house, Well, this is my I have a few here and there, not very many that part of you.
Speaker 5: Know, Steve does smell like incense all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do even more incense than the High Church Episcopal Church of which you left. But well, all right, ten seconds. If you really want a conser a conservative church, it's not going to get true. The Orthodox Church is the one for you. They're the same abandoned. Oh I do want sorry, five more seconds. I really do want Trump to insist that we need to change the name of istan Bull back to Constantinople and then he can be president for life.
Speaker 5: Well, I've been talking about that for decades. The game.
Speaker 4: I okay, anyway, so wait, can I just one last thing before John goes on? But you didn't give us a chance. You said you were going to for our own executive orders that we wanted, right, So I think mine's mine's already out there AI having Trump do it, and it's we will be allowed to say gay and retarded again and it will be great.
Speaker 5: Okay, sorry, Actually should just take that remember that list of Stanford for in words, right, you should just have an issue EO saying that these words are to be used by all government officials.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I still loved.
Speaker 5: That episode where we had a contest to you who could use all the words and like Lucretia like was it had two to one, but.
Speaker 1: Either of us trying it in sixty seconds it was around. It wasn't even you know.
Speaker 4: Retarded was on there, I think, but not there anyway.
Speaker 5: You got to put them together, oh somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So my question was, you know, one, why does the Catholic Church allow these people in the hierarchy to speak on political issues as if they represent the Catholic churches and institutions? Says one question, But then the second question is I I remember the Catholic bishops and a lot of other religious leaders came out against Reagan's foreign policy and called for nuclear zero, And I mean the idea that they would be commenting on the deployment on intermediate range ballistics well missiles in Europe, the pershings, which actually had a lot to do with helping the end the Cold War. But I think because of that, could you say that the rank and file Catholics have lost a lot of faith in their leadership and institution because of things like that. So I'll make a point as someone who went to an Episcopalian school and go to Episcopalian church, is there was a lot of controversy about the Episcopalian bishop by I guess, giving an openly political speech at the National Cathedral with the President and the audience and making a plea on behalf of illegal aliens and gays and transferred, you know, the people that she thought were going to be harmed by President Trump's orders. Regardless of what you think about that one way or the other, I think it's inappropriate for church leader to be commenting like that, particularly in front of the elected leadership of the country. So it makes me not to It makes me, you know, not want to take the leadership of the episcopal church all that.
Speaker 4: Seriously, well, you're absolutely right, John. By the way, that woman, that bishop, the Washington Bishop received an organization she runs out of there received fifty three million dollars in immigration assistance federal moneies fifty last year fifty three million dollars. So she had a little bit of a financial interest in that as well, which is the big problem with all of it. But for just a moment, you know, here, here's the problem. And I know people who are Catholic who say they won't go to the Catholic Church anymore because of Pope Francis, because of this or that. I am again, I'm probably not the best person to speak to this because I'm not a cradle Catholic. So i didn't grow up believing that, you know, when the Pope spoke it was the word of God. And the whole idea is crazy to me. I know what the the I know what the you know the rules are about it, and so on. But here's the point to remember. Also, if you are indeed a Christian of some kind, you have to realize that at church that church, your church, my church, the universal Church whatever, is a man made institution and it's going to be run by fallible human beings. Thing one, thing two back to you guys. As mentioning of what happened during the eighties and so on, there was a very serious and successful effort on the part of the Soviet Union to undermine the Catholic Church worldwide, especially in South America. That's where you get the liberation theology that our current pope is such an adherent of. And it was manifestly successful. And the other thing that they did was they infiltrated the seminaries. And I don't want to go on after this rever because I know you want to move on, but I just wanted to get those points out to you. So John, here's the point. Our Catholic leadership was so stupid. They fell for this infiltration attempt by the Soviet Union and turned themselves completely political.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, I used to back in the eighties refer to liberation theology, which really disappeared till Francis came back. But I always referred to it then as Marxism with salsa, because it really was.
Speaker 1: I mean, they had always.
Speaker 2: Books about synthesizing Marxism and Christianity quite directly. However, I think it should be mentioned that while our Conference of Catholic Bishops was so bad on those questions, the French and German bishops I think it was French and bishop might have been Italian, but certainly the German bishops put out their own paper dissenting from what the American bishop said, and what they said was a long thoughtful I haven't read it now for forty years, but I still have a copy somewhere. What they said was no, no nuclear weapons, and their deployment in our countries is consistent with just war theory and a necessary thing to do so, and that I suspect Cardinal Ratzinger had his hand on that. Later Pope Benedict right now, I think I mentioned once before. I know I have talked to some people about this. I maybe said it on one of our episodes that I've been hearing for a while anecdotally that the current generation of Catholic seminarians are much more conservative and by the way, much more heterosexual. That's has been a real problem in past decades, right, And that was that was.
Speaker 4: A little bit like DEI in the seminaries. They were purposely choosing seminarians who exhibited.
Speaker 2: Minor attractions. They're supposed to say these days, and I know what a felia. But anyway, the last point I'll say is that I just lately saw some data and I think I'll put this up as a daily chart on power Line that surveys of Catholic seminarians going back like twenty five thirty years and showing, in fact, a rising number of Catholic seminarians are conservative, which means that the age of Francis will be behind us, perhaps not just to the top, but further down the ladder.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 4: So remember my priest, my young Filipino priest, who would come at and at the end of every every mass would do the Hail Mary and say, let's just pray to Mother Mary to rid the world of the chief peoples of communism and socialism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And then John all I can say, I mean, that's episcopalian for a long time, and used to say I'm not gonna let him kick me out until I couldn't stand.
Speaker 1: It any longer.
Speaker 2: But our reform project should be, or yours should be, let's bring back the old days. Of when the Episcopal Church was known as the Republican Party at prayer, which you said that you.
Speaker 5: And I got to say, I don't have a lot of respect I mean for the Episcopalian. So I was listening to a sermon because the Bishop of California, I think he was keen to the little church I was in, happened to be there, and his whole sermon was about why Christianity demanded that we do something about climate change?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: I was just say, are you like out of your like you're just so like you just should not be in charge anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nowhere both Episcopalians and Catholics have a real revival is Africa in church. The Anglican Church in Africa is vibrant and committed to the Bible. The Catholic Church is the same way in Africa throughout it throughout most of Africa. I should say, sorry, see if you're thinking.
Speaker 1: Well, I am.
Speaker 5: But I was wondering, like, because when they when you sing this sys and they're going, how can you prioritize lower forms of life over human life as a religious leader, Because if you really want to, you know, do something about climate change, you have to be in favor of policies that reduce the population size, that's what they're really doing. And so there are these people in the church who think this, who are allegedly pro life. Are they not elevating actually the other forms of nature above human life in their policies. Then that just as when I was listening as this sertment, I was like, this is this runs counter It seems to me. Well the idea that you're, you know, the Christian is a pro life, pro human life. I couldn't believe it. And then I was like, you're so so non logical and you're thinking you should just not be in charge of anything, But that's how you get to be the bishop.
Speaker 2: Well you bring that up sparked of synaps in my head that wasn't killed off by my non dry January. The first sentence, as I recall, in the Catholic bishop's statements against nuclear weapons in the nineteen eighties, and this was highlighted by Professor Jaffa in Class Lucretia, The first sentence was the existence something like this, the existence of nuclear weapons calls into question the sovereignty of God. Professor jaff would say, is it really now Catholic doctrine to doubt the omnipotence of God. Climate change you can drop in place of nuclear weapons, and it's the same thing. It's it's actually a theological heresy, if not just total lack of confidence in their own faith, in their own beliefs.
Speaker 1: That's all I have to say, Lucretia, do you have a life?
Speaker 4: Whoa with what John said? I mean, I imagine our listeners are already born with our theological discussions here. But because it was such a big deal this past week, I thought it was worth bringing up. And I saw a lot of Catholics because there's a group of Catholics I follow on social media, and that gets me in trouble sometimes, so I'll leave that aside. They're all saying we're better off being led at the Catholic Church by J. D. Vanson. We are the pope or the Catholic bishops. Yeah, which is?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: I'm sure your friend that I won't mention here would love to hear that. John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, all right, we need to go to a break, if for no other reason that I need a couple of minutes to catch my breath. After Lucretius saying she agreed, with me one hundred percent. This is a rare moment.
Speaker 1: So don't go away, people, We'll be right back. All right, We're back.
Speaker 2: And John, I'm throwing the mic to you. What's on uppermost in your mind this week?
Speaker 5: I'm still thinking about the never trumpers who draw the line at you know, not eating mcribs. But I will I thought what I would raise was, to me, it's a part of the same phenomenon, which is the confirmation hearings, plus what's been going on with law enforcement and the Justice Department. So you know, a lot of these headlines. So many things happened this week. But the thing that was interesting to me, and I think they're tied together, was so President Trump has through the Attorney General, the person who's the acting Attorney General, through the US Attorney in Washington, d C. Who are all both acting right now because they're pending Pam Bondi being confirmed. And then whoever President Trump puts in DC firing all the prosecutors who worked on the January sixth cases, in the Special Council cases against him, and.
Speaker 4: Has been done. John, I thought, I read this is.
Speaker 5: One question is whether it's actually legal to do. And then there's a story in the Washington Post today and yesterday that apparently this is going to happen at the FBI too, that FBI leaders are right now asking for the names of the FBI agents who worked on the January sixth and the Special Council investigations. So that's one, you know, huge thing, plus President Trump flying all the firing all the inspector generals and all the agencies. That's another thing. And then you had the hearings this week for the we talked a little about RFK Junior. I guess so the ones that I focusing song was the way that Cash Patel's hearings went versus Telsea Gabbard, And so one thing issued I reason I wrote a few pieces this week. They just happened to all come out this week. They weren't all time to be this week, but I had written different times.
Speaker 1: But that was wondering. Yeah, Frank got a lot, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Which is like how what this all means about law fair? The end of law fair and so on, and so one way to understand what Trump is doing is that this is a less damaging way to end lawfare, because the thing he could do, and I've speculated he might do. This is to actually investigate and prosecute criminally the people who actually undertook the whole lawfair campaign. Because if in fact, and this applied, maybe applies more to the district attorney in New York, the Attorney general in New York, the district attorney Fanny Willison. You know these are you know, this is a Lucretia's Hall of Fame, hall of Shame, and the DA her friend Fanny Willis in Georgia. But it also might extend to the Special Council Jack Smith and so on is did they actually launch these prosecutions of Donald Trump to affect his ability to run in the election, Because if they did, then they are violating his constitutional rights and they're violating the constitutional rights of the voters. This is the theory that Jack Smith actually used to prosecute Donald Trump. So if that's true, I think at the minimum Trump could launch invest have the just uprin launch investigations. I would say, particularly targeted at state prosecutors, state attorney generals, because the last thing I think we want is states interfering with the ability of federal candidates to run for office. So you could say, you know, so the left has been hammering Pambondie and Tulca Gabbert and Cash betelsing, Oh, you would never countenance that. Well, if liberals don't want that to happen, then the less aggressive position is President Trump firing all the people who worked on these prosecutions that he thinks were wrong, that actually his lawyers took the position in court that they were unconstitutional. So this is where it all comes back into the bigger things we like to talk about, is that a president is allowed to have a different view of the law than the courts. And so President Trump, if he wants to think, and he's entitled to think, that the prosecutions were unconstitutional, then he ought to fire everybody who participated in them, because why should he tolerate people in his administration who were doing, in his view, appatently unconstitutional things. In my mind, it's the same thing as Lincoln saying he wouldn't enforce dred Scott, Obey dread Scott, same thing as Jefferson pardoning everyone who's been convicted under the Alien Sedition acts. So, in a funny way, I think what's been happening this week, while it's driving the left crazy, they should be grateful that that is as far as Trump has gone so far. The other point is he's i think, also usefully restoring the idea that the president is in charge of law enforcement. So notice what Biden tried to do was, oh, no, I'm not involved in any of this. It's a special counsel is allowed to do what he wants, and oh, these states, I have nothing to do with these states going on after federal candidates.
Speaker 4: The worst part was it was a lie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's part of the investigation, is that you'll be able to get the emails and discussion notes of all the people who participate in these meetings. But at least Trump is making clear firing these agents, firing the prosecutors, firing the inspector generals. The president is actually, in the constitution, the head of all federal law enforcement, and he has a duty actually to remove people who won't carry out the views of the constitution that he holds. So now it's going to be a great fight. It's going to be a great civil service fight because you know, these prosecutors, some of them and FBI agents are going to say I'm being fired in violation of the Civil Service Act.
Speaker 2: Ah but now my understanding is right, there's a legal question mark there.
Speaker 1: My understanding is, and.
Speaker 2: I've read a few pieces about this this week.
Speaker 1: No one has yet filed suit yes to say my firing was illegal.
Speaker 2: And the speculation that I kind of love this, that the left is actually paranoid. This way, I applaud Trump one more time. There's speculation that Trump is setting a trap for them because this will elevate a reconsideration of Humphrey's executor, the famous case that said there are limits on the president's ability to control quote unquote independent agencies and executive branch, which I think is widely thought to be defective and vulnerable, not just by but this.
Speaker 4: Morrison versus Olsen is a better for the law enforcement. It's a better precedent for the left on law enforcement. Right, even though everybody acknowledges it was now that Scalia was right, Sclio was right. Yeah, And I do have a really quick question for you, though, John, before you go back to answering that, and that is, do you think that eighteen US two forty one could also be used against the fifty one intelligence experts?
Speaker 5: If you have the this is actually the Biden administration's theory. I actually thought it was too expensive their argument, and the lower court in Washington, d c. Upheld it. The Supreme Court didn't reach this in the immunity case, but the lower court upheld it. Which is the idea. Section two forty one makes a criminal to violate the constitutional rights federal constitutional rights people. Yes, the ku klux klin x. So if they actually did it to interfere with the election, this is the theory. Now the problem with this theory, I'd be first admitted. I think this is why when we talked about it is, you know, there's got to be a limit because every political trick and campaign and drytch can't be the subject of a federal criminal prosecution. So that's why it's easier to say. The way I think of it is, look at what Fanny Willison Bragg did. Suppose a Southern da did that during the time of and I'm sure they did did this during the time of segregation to keep black candidates from running for office. Would anyone have any doubt Section two forty one not apply to what they did. So I think it's even worse if you think about it being used for partisan purposes. You know, you know that people could engage in targeting people on partisan grounds and taking away their constitutional rights.
Speaker 2: That's well, let me make a devil's advocate point and then a second point that will rescue me with lucretia, because you won't like my first point, and that is Brendon and all those people will say, you know, we didn't say, we didn't make a factual claim that the laptop was Russian disinformation.
Speaker 1: Our language was it bore the hallmarks. In other words, it's a lawyerly evasion and maybe a court may or maybe or maybe a court would buy that or not. I don't know. However, I believe point two.
Speaker 2: They should be prosecuted aggressively, regardless of that whether that evasion is illegally exculpates them or.
Speaker 1: Not, on the grounds that the process is the punishment.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see Brendan have to spend a million dollars them.
Speaker 5: Look, even before you find churches, you have to have an investigation. And this is an investigation. You'll get to know, right why who wrote this up? Why did they write it up? You know, did they know that it was actually true?
Speaker 4: And they did know there's all the evidence in the world that they knew I mean, the FBI knew that the laptop was real. The FBI knew the laptop was real, and the CIA that signed off on it, that ridiculous affirmative action idiot Gina haspell She signed off on it, She actively signed off on it, and she knew it wasn't Russian disinformation. I mean that if they do an investigation. But back to what John was saying, though, you know, do we want to go down that road? It does seem to be quite the punishment for poor John Brennan that his security clearance was taken away because he's out there whining about it like a two year old, and I'm loving every minute of that. I don't know, I think it should be more those I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, remember about Brennan.
Speaker 2: I don't think Mike pal Lloyd Billingsley makes this point over and over again. I don't think we've ever made it on our podcast. That guy admits that he voted for Gus Hall, the Communist Party candidate for president, back in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 4: He changed his mind. It'd be fine. I don't care what happened in seventy six.
Speaker 5: A lot of us were then.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: What he's done subsequently, that's such a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I agree to that, but that's ought to be a red flag that this guy might not have been altogether there for a very long time.
Speaker 5: Okay, just one last point about the hearings. So the interesting thing to me was that Cash Patel, who has openly talked about right doing exactly this, seems to have skated through his confirmation hearings. In fact, you know, watching the different clips, I was amazed at how demoralized the Democrats were. I don't think they really laid a finger on him. I mean, when it started out all the cabinets nominees and you look at their paperwreck, he would have should have been the most vulnerable one because he's been doing podcasts for years. He has said some really extreme things. I mean, he makes Lucretia look.
Speaker 1: Like a squish. Hey.
Speaker 5: But the interesting thing to me is the one that looks like she's gonna not make it is Tulca Gabbert, And from what I can tell, it's not really her views on the Patriot Act and what's called Section seven and two, which we can talk about some other time. I don't know if Lucretian and I disagree about section seven to two. But what it sounds like why senators are not going to vote for her is because she kind of you know, you know, defends Edward Snowden, and I think that's a good reason not to.
Speaker 4: The defense is not wholehearted, maybe really quickly, let me let's let's be at least subtle, which, of course Democratic senators with an IQ below room temperature are incapable of subtleties. But what she says is what he did was wrong, but what he what he uncovered was terrible. What he did was illegal, But what he uncovered was unconstitutional behavior by our government. And I mean that's okay. Would have have ever been found out if he had been unwilling to I'm not a Snowden fan.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to say that, but I'm trying to say that that is not a totally unacceptable opinion if you just do what I've seen many people do in my world. Snowden, I mean, we almost lost a contract with the government because another college had Snowden tried to bring Snowden onto campus at one point, and the you know, the government takes that so seriously that we had to like anyway, never mind all that, it's a subtle point. Yeah, Snowden was wrong. He broke the law. He he betrayed the trust that the United States government gave him. But he could turn around and say, but the United States government betrayed the trust of the American people, and my whistleblowing made that clear.
Speaker 5: I don't think what he did. I don't think what the government was doing was unconstitutional. But he I mean, he leaked information which I think I believe led to the deaths of American agents, and so he should be executed. Yeah, that's just like that's you know, it's just like that. But that's why I think it focuses the mind on what she actually believes, because she in the past has defended him and at the hearing would not repudiate it. In fact, she evaded it several times, questions about it several times, And I think that's the kind of that's the kind of question like this guy ysked no question on something that's very clear that I think shows why she's not to me. It probably won't make it because she couldn't answer that clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she didn't want to break with you know, well, the Tucker Carlson fans, for example, I think that she could have given an answer.
Speaker 1: I think I'm closer to your opinion. John.
Speaker 2: It's one thing to give away potentially unconstitutional acts or dubious acts of the.
Speaker 1: Government, but I think a better way they could be.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the better thing to have done would have been to take it to You're going to be a Paul when I say this, but let me finish it. Take it to Adam Schiff or somebody in Congress and say I've had this information with the government's done, you've been mad at Bush and the War on Terror.
Speaker 1: You need to know about it because it's been concealed from you.
Speaker 2: Now, this highlights to me the hypocrisy of the Democrats on this, because that is kind of how it was done in the seventies when you had the Church Committee in the Senate and the Pike Committee in the House investigating the CIA and the FBI, and especially the Pike Committee, what did they do. They leaked the findings like crazy to the media, and that would have happened in this case. But now the information would have been coming from Democrats for partisan reasons, and there's a sort of different kind of accountability there. I think it's a mistake to celebrate, you know, Snowden being a free agent. I like that, right, but and I think it would if Gabard thought about that and given a better put my argument a little better than I just did, that could have been kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Saying nothing is.
Speaker 5: She's not being nominated to be secretary of HHS. I mean, the reason why, okay, it matters is because she's in charge of the intelligence agencies.
Speaker 4: Except that. Here's but let me let me give the other side of the which I have sympathy for your point of view, John, But but the other side of it is the widespread belief that our intelligence agencies have been turned against Americans, and uh, Telsea Gabbard is one of the victims of that for no apparent reason other than maybe her uh uh, you know, touting Edward Snowden. I don't know, But she herself has been the victim of what I would illegal, unconstitutional spying on a private citizen. We know that's the case. I think that's why she was given that job, or at least nominated for that job, because Trump understands that the entire intelligence community has proven themselves with the fifty one and the you know, the fight, the FISA warrants, all of that has proven themselves to be just abjectly corrupt.
Speaker 5: And I think there's two different things. I think there's two different things, but I can see why in terms of politics people don't view them as two different things. But what Snowden revealed, I think, was that we were conducting warrantless surveillance basically on everybody abroad, which is not unconstitutional. Actually, and actually when this was all revealed, then that's why Section seven oh two becomes an issue, because Congress eventually approved it and passed a law to authorize it. That's different, in my mind than what happened with Russia collusion and all the ways intelligence agencies tried to stop Trump, which has nothing to do with our efforts to stop these foreign threats and terrorists. By intercepting all the communications in the rest of the world. I'm glad the government does it, but agreed, these guys. What they did is they use their intelligence, you know, positions to launch a political witch hunt against someone they didn't want to be president, which has nothing to do with what's Snowden.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I mean I wasn't trying. I was actually making a different point, John, I was making the second point, which is that I don't know that that many of Tulci Gabbard's supporters really care that much about Snowden. At least a lot of people that want to see her. That Snowden's a separate issue. They are interested in her simply because she already is saying we are not going to do business as usual, at least recent usual in the intelligence world anymore. That's why that's do you see what you're right? When they're two separate issues. I'm saying that support for Tulsa Gabbard for the most part, has nothing to do with the snowed in question. It has to do with the concern about our intelligence Agency's the last thing I'll say, is it. By the way, I'm not sure that the d n I. There's a lot of jokes going around there about the most important thing that the nominee for d n I could do, what the hearings would be explained why we need a d n I.
Speaker 2: I agree, Oh yeah, I was going to say that too. Yeah, it's that's the whole thing. Was a bad idea, But yeah, right, so right.
Speaker 4: I'm told that if she doesn't get it, Trump will maker national security advisor. Well no, and he's going to nominate the National Security advisor anyway.
Speaker 5: Oh, I switched Waltz and Gabbard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I think.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's worse or better.
Speaker 1: I hear things about Waltz. I don't know much about them, but I impressed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, okay, I have no idea if that rumor is true.
Speaker 1: Schlogon could be fun.
Speaker 5: Or we can make our governor of Canada. That would be perfect. So I think people right, Oh, so I get to say what EO I liked so and it also talks about the future. EO is I like the which it's not. It's only starting now to get the attention it deserves, which is the DEI Executive Order. Uh and Steve made this point this week that in the New York Post about how it reverses Lyndon Johnson's Affirmative Action EO, which is something no Republican present has dare touch before.
Speaker 2: H and Reagan thought about it and shrunk back from doing it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bush didn't do it. Trump didn't do it his first term and would have normally caused enormous political uproar, but because of the blizzard of eos goes unnoticed. Now, I think that the Curnio has the germs of in it of a really important change, because right now it's a no more DEI within the government. And then it says and the government agencies are now supposed to study whether government contractors and recipients of federal grants are engaging in DEI programs. And here's the catch that violate current law. Now, I think that President Trump could instead go further and issue AEO that says, no recipient of federal funds and no one who does business with the federal government shall use race in any of its operations are considered diversity, you know, DEI at all. That would be groundshaking because every university in the country except Hillsdale and Growth City, I think, receives federal funding, right, and they're one of the worst. Right, They're one of the worst violators of color blindness. And it would apply to all the major government, the s and P. Five hundred, every major company in America would have to stop their DEI policies. That I think if he just added that one more sentence, that could really seal the deal. And really put a stake through this and this DEI business.
Speaker 4: So can I just add a couple of things from a personal point of view being at a university, I have watched the meltdown this past week, and what I what I was talking with John about earlier today, many of these grants, some of them, regardless of what actually ends up happening with the Title seven and Title nine interpretations, things like USA ID and grants are going away. They have already stopped expenditures, totally stopped expenditures on a number of grants, like a grant for instance, that puts ten million dollars toward pay bringing in in the medical school graduate students and postdocs to do research in the grad in the medicine. So they've had to stop that. They can't offer any more you know, awards on that. I mean, it's just on and on. But the other side of it is the university itself. We already have a legislature and a board of regents who are telling us to back off on DEI. But so much money comes into the university and those kinds of grants, and the university takes fifty three percent off the top. My university is already in the hole, seriously in financial trouble. You can imagine the panic going on. So I'm having a bit of shot and for it about that one, because my college makes money hand over flood, but they still communyway.
Speaker 2: That's I'm used to hearing universities taking twenty percent off of grants.
Speaker 4: Maybe the indirect cause are fifty three percent if the work is done on campus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean other universities. I hear the figures twenty percent at least some private foundations, and maybe higher for government money.
Speaker 1: But the point is, whatever the figure.
Speaker 2: Is, the point there is a serious cutback in those kind of funds sluicing around to all these programs.
Speaker 1: They're going to have to have massive layoffs of their administrative bloat. And I'll be the right exactly that's right.
Speaker 4: So then the other thing, really quickly is, you know my other position. I started receiving as if I were, well, I guess I am. I am a federal employee, all of the DoD missives, and you know, here's what usually happens. You know what my inbox would be filled with today from not just the university, but from the do D and all these other groups. Because today's February first. Do you know what February first is, John, the first day of Black History Month? Yeah? Really, no more Black History Month, no more Martin Luther King Day celebrations or pronouncements on social media. No more Women's Equality Day, which means, thank god, I don't have to go give fake speeches for that anymore. But also this was interesting. No more Holocaust Remembrance days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was well. So first of all, I mean hexap put out.
Speaker 2: I have a statement I actually post on power line. No Pacific Islander, heritage, no month, just stop.
Speaker 1: It all the way.
Speaker 5: What is my month? I had one, because that's when I'm really going to go over kick some ass on the commentary podcast. I'm gonna go, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Have like a uniche.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna like, I'm gonna like be like Steve Johnny and I can see what the idea is. What it's going to be, Mick Ribs. I'm going to toss left and right out of my little satchel all around the commentary offices.
Speaker 2: But then, uh, equally fun is President Trump did put out a proclamation observing Black hits this month and includes this clause American heroes such as Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, Thomas Soul, no Justice, Clarence Thomas. Right, so, I mean, I think last time I checked, Clarence Thomas is not mentioned at all at the National Museum of African American History, which okay, But did.
Speaker 4: You see my good story of the day yesterday? Abram Kendy, the Button Professor, completely shut down, shut down operations. How many millions of dollars and with abs were funneled into his operation there with absolutely nothing to show for it. He closed his doors, fired everybody, and went to Howard University. I mean, I know that he'll come out on top. There's no problems there. But still it was a good story. It was.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: But before we wrap, we need to go to another break for our sponsors, and then we'll come back. Get your babbyl on bees queued up Lucretia, and I've got a new close for us, and we'll be right back, all right, give us the best of the bee Lucretia.
Speaker 4: All right. Even though they said last week that they were going to shut down because there wouldn't be anything funny to talk about, because everything would be perfect. But the Democrats proved that that wasn't the case because we had the hearings, and you know that was actually posted on ex John that I really appreciated all the people who were watching and reporting on those hearings because I could only stand about five seconds of it before I threw my beer at the TV or some equally frustrated action. So I appreciated their fortitude and got a lot of response on that. But anyway, nominee, it's a picture of Cash Battel, nominee for top criminal justice position, interviewed by nation's top criminals.
Speaker 1: I thought that was good.
Speaker 4: Or the picture of Cash Battel and Telsy Gabbard Democrat senators opposed diversity for one day only. You know if I like that Babylon b writers get nothing done? Is Telsy Gabbard is on TV?
Speaker 1: Yeah she didn't look spectacular.
Speaker 4: I have to say, yeah, very very pretty. There's no way around it. Preliminary report confirms tragedy was the fault of whichever political party you like. Poor Trumpy did have a bit of tragedy this week, now, didn't he. I'll set up a little bit. Let me do this in first, entire federal workforce replayed by one replaced excuse me by one sixteen year old Chick fil A employee.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 4: The metldown on that has been so spectacular, I can't even And finally, uh local Karen being a real margaret.
Speaker 1: Oh good John, have you.
Speaker 5: Altered your responsibilities? Yeah, you guys have to give me the new tagline whenever we figure out what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got one. I mean you can still do always do your whisky meat. That's perpetual. Yeah, all right, I'll go straight to my clothes, but I.
Speaker 5: Always drink your whiskey meat and Steve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a quick context, and I won't do it in the future. But remember, for two three years after twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: I had a tagline, don't forget to milk the soft Power dividend, and that was mocking Samantha Power for her disappointment to Hillary Clinton didn't win, because she told the New York Times, having all these women diplomats to her apartment in New York, I was looking forward to milking the soft Power dividend. And I thought it was such a ridiculous phrase. But now we have a new one, courtesy of JB. Advance, and I think this one should be the model for everyone for quite a while to come here.
Speaker 1: And it's frankly martyret I don't really care all right, Bye bye everybody, Bye guys.
Speaker 4: Next week.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 7: This is in poetry. It's meandering sophistry, and you must hate words. All of the youth degree is soothe in your wandering and chasing these turns.
Speaker 1: There was no.
Speaker 5: Peace warning, that's only a story you tell.
Speaker 3: Two scared kids now that nothing is growing, it's darker and lowing.
Speaker 7: Just too asso, our bitch, And just saying.
Speaker 1: No hour is fine, just saying no hour is.
Speaker 3: Fine, But no one wants say.
Speaker 7: No hour is.
Speaker 3: Fine, so we both know.
Speaker 2: No hours is fine.
Speaker 5: Never do tie.
Speaker 3: And kids are statistics and affair for the ages. I assume they'll be fine. And if numbers are destiny and history is.
Speaker 4: Dead to ricochet.
Speaker 1: Join the conversation.