Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, hour number two here on a Monday afternoon, reacting to the weekend. I mean, overall, you know, things that like really matter. I had a good weekend, you know, I had a good weekend with friends and family. Got to have a date night with the wife. That was good. You know, all in all, Like my life's in pretty good shape right now. My family's healthy, and I got to remind myself of those things whenever my football team just you know makes me sad, and the frustration really into sadness on Saturday, and I could feel it coming because I knew that Louisville could play a really good game and still come up short because Miami was that good, and that's kind of what played out. I'm not here to tell you that if Louisville plays Miami ten times, they're going to win more than half of those games. I mean they could, but you know, you're sitting at four and three, two and two in league play, and I just think that as a result that no matter how you wanted to present that meaning which games went which way, if you'd have told anybody that seven games in that would be where Louisville is, I think most fans would would say, yeah, that's underwhelming, that's less than what I would have expected. But you know, still a lot of football to be played. And I mean it when I say it. It's not like I think that the season's destined to just be a complete, you know, failure the rest of the way. But seven games in, you are who you are, and I just, you know, I really feel stupid more than anything, but I know I'm not alone. Defense should be better, right, there's really I mean, I'm trying to figure out where we could have been so wrong, because sometimes you just you end up thinking you got something and it's not at all what you expected. There's guys back from this defense that were really impactful last year, and I think some of the pieces that you've added, even despite at times the defense looking like a real big red flag and a real weakness. I mean, I've seen newcomers make some big plays and you think to yourself, Wow, I'm glad we got that guy. You get MJ. Griffin healthy tomorrow. McDonald's been I think been impressive. Thornton the transfer from Central Florida and the secondary. I mean, he's made some really good plays. It's just collectively they've not been real reliable. And yes, they did play the number one offense in the country on Saturday in Miami, and Miami's gonna put up a lot of points and put up a lot of yards against probably just about anybody they play. But what really just is the ultimate, like you know, and again it's if you watch the game, and this probably won't surprise you, but hearing these numbers, I mean, it's it's it's insane. I was gonna say sickening. That would be a little dramatic, but maybe that's how Maybe sickening is the better word. But they give up one hundred and fifty five rushing yards after contact. That's one hundred and fifty five yards on the ground after guys were contacted by the Louisville defenders. They gave up one hundred and seventy five receiving yards after guys made catches. And some of those were just guys running open and making plays. But there's also times where you feel like what should have been I mean, and not as much in the passing game, although there were times where you just feel like, Okay, it's one thing for a guy to get open, how's he get that wide open? And why did it? You know, why was he able to turn? You know, why did he was able to you know, make that a fifty two yard gain or something like that. But defensively, you know, I watched the first half of the game there in person, and obviously I have to leave earlier than most because I got to make sure I'm situated for the for the postgame show. But watching the first half, I mean, it just felt like without hearing that, you know, the broadcasters talk about, you know, how much yards were gaing, how many yards were gained on each play. I mean, I'm thinking, okay, that should have been that should have been a stop right at the line of scrimmage. That should have been two yards and it would be seven or eight, and that never really Again, the defense did get a couple of stops, they sacked cam Ward a couple of times consecutively, but you know why, you know, the pressure wasn't consistent. I mean, maybe it's because they feared he would burn him, and maybe he would have. I'm not sure there is a perfect game plan to just completely neutralize and shut down cam Ward, but clearly the defense they couldn't figure out how to how to contain him and how to slow him down. And it just felt like a game that at any point you realized, Okay, if the defense has got to go back out there, that is not ideal for Louisville. And again, I'm trying to and I'm probably overdoing it as far as how much I'm mentioning that the opponent that they played was a factor in these results, because Miami's really good. I just I wanted Saturday to be the chance for Louisville to get a big time win that wouldn't eliminate what you did against SMU and what you did against Notre Dame, because those losses are going to count and you're always going to have to be held accountable for those. But that was a big opportunity to make up for it, and yet you couldn't get it done. And now you sit here with three losses, all to good teams, all to teams that I'll be honest with you probably will finish in the top twenty five, top twenty when it's all said and done this year. But with Louisville, we felt like we I mean, I shouldn't say we as if I speak for the entire fan base. I mean, I only speak for me, but I know I'm not alone. You know, when Jeff brahms here, you don't go in and think, Okay, we'll go eight and four, but all four of our losses will be against good teams. So it's fine. I mean, sometimes that's going to happen, but like you want to compete at a higher level. You want to feel like you are going to win some of these games, and now you've lost three of them. Like, the three best teams you've played this year have all beat you. I mean, there's no way around that. And the only team that you've beaten that I mean, I'm not sure any team you've beaten would be viewed as like a good team. I don't think Georgia Tech's terrible. I don't think that Virginia is terrible, but they're certainly not viewed as like quality really good wins. So you look, you got a lot of football left. Maybe the defense does get better, maybe they take advantage of two games left on the schedule that would give you I mean, beating Clemson at Clemson has never happening lo will never be Clemson in football. So you know, if they were able to somehow go to Boston College this Friday, pick up a good road victory, get to feeling good about themselves, coming with a good game plan on the roady Clemson. I mean, again getting ahead of myself here obviously, but like that would absolutely be a big time win for this program. It's just you know, expecting it to happen. I mean, I can't say that I do, but you know, we got a couple of weeks before we get there. But don't forget this Friday. It'll be It'll be you know, a weeknight game or like I said, Friday night game. I mean, I guess, I guess technically Friday night is a weeknight, is it? Friday is a weekday, but Friday night is not a week night. That's a weekend night in my opinion, Okay, I mean, I'm with you as far as like, I mean, I think we're all on the same page. But like, technically, what would it be called? I mean, it's not a weeknight because the next like the week's over when it's Friday night, right, like your work week's over. But Friday, the day is still technically a weekday. I mean it's the weekend, but it's not right. It's like it's why we say five o'clock on a Friday, Yeah, the weekend. Yeah, like your weekend starts on a Friday. So some of it is weekends, some of it is not. Yes, but the game will be on Friday night and that means we're going to have a late night for the postgame show. And obviously they need to win, right because this would be a loss that would easily be your worst loss of the season, I think, And you don't want to drop too in a row, because I mean, this is a game that there's not a whole lot for you to gain other than you know, picking up a road wind, getting another acc victory, avoiding what I think would be a bad loss. But as far as what you have to lose here, like I mean, I think a loss here, And then you look at every game left on the schedule and start to think, okay, like, how many of these should we say we feel really good about winning? There's not one right now? I say that you know you should be just expecting to lose, no doubt, But they're also they just haven't really, they haven't even gotten up big on anybody this year, like they haven't put anybody away, Like I would love to see this team come out and get get a get a decent lead to start the game, because that's one of those things in football that really I don't think it's talked about enough. Maybe I'm not consuming as much football content as some of you guys out there are, but where you are in a game as far as lead, time of possession, like it changes how you play. We've yet to see what Louisville would look like as a team against you know, decent competition that has somewhat of a decent lead, and I think you can call things differently, especially from an offensive standpoints, you can certainly call things differently defensively. We just haven't seen that yet. And you know it's because that they don't. That's not their identity. They're not a team that has has been able to get a big on anybody. And I know on Saturday it might have been more of a of a text line thing. We might have had a call or mentioned it at one point, but when it comes to you know, you just want to be able to keep the defense on the on the on the sideline as long as possible. And you know, when you have that quick score by Colin Lacy where he takes a kickoff return for a touchdown, I mean that was huge. That's a big momentum. Play it quickly, you know, it quickly tied things up when you just went down a touchdown. But then again, it also puts your defense right back out there. So you know, I said this at the beginning of the show, and I'll say it once more. I've never been comfortable questioning somebody's effort. Sometimes it's obvious, but even then, like somebody who's sitting on my couch watching or sitting at the game watching, I mean, I just know that I have no way to know the exact amount of effort somebody's giving, especially in football. So you know, again, I'm not saying these guys aren't out there trying, because even whenever they do have some momentum going against them, like this team has found ways to, you know, get it within a score and potentially have a chance to maybe hold on and tie it up or maybe win. Right, It's just they haven't been able to fully get it done. But to see so much arm tackling, to see so much of those Miami running backs just trucking you. I mean, that's that's pretty demoralizing. And if it's demoralizing for you as a fan, imagine what it feels like for these guys. You know, they don't work on tackling a whole lot in season because they want to keep everybody fresh and healthy. It's a big part of it. But I could certainly tell on Saturday that they don't do a whole lot of practicing that kind of stuff. And you shouldn't have to, right because it's I mean, these are some of these dudes are twenty one to twenty two years old. They played a lot of football. It shouldn't have to be in mid October of their third or fourth season playing college football. Be told and reminded technique angle and you know, be ready to make contact. Don't just assume somebody is going to go down because you hit them. I mean, these guys were getting run over out there at times. So again, a pretty pretty demorlized number to see how much again, it was one hundred and fifty five yards on the ground after contact was made with Miami when it comes to their rushing attack, and that's just that's tough. All right, louis of basketball. I mean, can we say that they officially get the Pat Kelsey era started tonight? I think we kind of have said that many times with the games and the Bahamas. I mean, they did have Louisville Live, but that wasn't really a game, that was an event. But tonight they will be playing an exhibition game at the UM Center against a different team, and that's exciting. It's not a real game. But Pat Kelsey was not joking or exaggerating when he said that they're going to treat this team young Harris, which schets, that's that's their name. They're gonna treat this team like their duke because that's I think that's that's just Pat Kelsey's way of going about things. He's very big on routine, and I think he's got a system. You know, I guarantee you whoever had the scout if they even do it that way, or if it's a collective thing with his staff, like just knowing how organized and detailed they are from top to bottom as a staff, I mean, I think he's quite literally telling you the absolute truth when he says that he that he he's gonna prepare for this game as if they're playing Duke or a team that's you know, not an exhibition opponent or not a team that you've that you've never heard of. All right, let's go to the phone. Well, bone lines are open if you guys wann give us called FIBO two I have seven one seventy nine hundred is the number you can also text in on the on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line faboh two six five three zero seven ninety The Texas nick big Kentucky fan here, And I mean it when I say it. I want you guys to put us out of our misery. Stoops loses to Louisville this year, that's when the pressure really gets put on Barnhardt to get rid of them. Yeah. I'm not surprised to hear uh Kentucky fans say that, But they're not firing Mark Stoops like it. It's not an exaggeration to say this. They're in the exact same position that they were in with Cali Perry. It's just not I mean, it's not the same because well, I don't know, maybe I was gonna say it's not the same because with Stoops, you know, he doesn't have a national championship like Caliperi did, and the thought of like firing John Calipari as your basketball coach, even with his losses to Oakland and Saint Peter's in the tournament, it still just seemed unrealistic that he gave you fireable results despite serious upsets in the tournament. It just, you know, as much as we make fun of Cal like he's him getting fired, is just it was never realistic, mostly because of the monetary situation there right where you'd have to pay him like an ungodly amount of money. So Cal in Arkansas finding each other was really the best case scenario for everybody involved, at least as of now. Like maybe down the line, Arkansas realizes they paid too much money for a guy who whose best days of coaching are way, way way in the past, or maybe Kentucky realizes, hey, we should have kept that guy around. He was a headache and he annoyed us with talking down to us as fans and just being cow but you know what, he was a really good coach. Like who knows. But at least as if now that thing worked out beneficially for everybody with stoops, you know, like maybe you could say that he would give you like a like if they like Kentucky the rest of the way, They've got Auburn coming up this Saturday, and then they'll play Tennessee at Tennessee I think it is Murray. Then they go to Texas and then they'll play Louisville. So they're gonna beat Murray. But every other game on their schedule is is certainly a game that they that they you know, could easily lose. I mean, their favorite against Auburn because they're at home, but like Kentucky's is not very good at home against Auburn or against anybody. I mean, what are they two and ten in their last twelve home SEC games? Anytime I hear that or see that number, I'm thinking that can't be real, but I think it is. It's either two and eight in their last ten or two and ten in their last twelve meaning games at home in the SEC. So like if Stoops finishes, what do they have three wins right now? They're three and four? I believe yes. So if they finish four an eight where they only beat Murray and they lose it to everybody else, even if that was viewed as like a fireable season, you still can't do it because of the money. And I still don't think Mitch would do it because Stoops is this guy, and I'm not even really sure like that you should. I mean, so yes, the whole thought of like firing him is just not It just doesn't seem realistic at all. The scenario that you would hope for, if in fact you really do want a new coach would be that he just walks away, and maybe that does happen, like maybe he does just decide, yeah, I don't want to do this anymore. One thing I did not realize about Stoops is that his I mean, I knew that he got a divorce and that happens, that's not I mean, I don't think that's a factor and what's happening with Kentucky football. But like, his kids don't live in Lexington. I don't believe. I could be, I'll be, I'll stand corrected, But I think he actually has his kids living and like I mean, I think I think his kids live in like Colorado, which is nowhere close to here, So you know, maybe he maybe he would want to be closer to family and he realizes, hey, I don't you know, his brother retired really really really early at a young age. But I think his brother had health problems and also his brother like has. I mean, his brother has done a lot more as a coach than than than Mark has. Therefore, you know, maybe his brother just didn't want to be out there, like he wasn't chasing anything, trying to prove anything. And maybe that's the way Stoops is too, just because you know he's burnt out. Who knows, but that's how you get a new coach sooner rather than later. Is Mark Stoops just deciding he wants to move on, and maybe he does that. Again, he's probably made a whole lot of money. I mean, I've heard that he's a very successful investor like he's. He's made some investments into companies. He's got his own bourbon line, which I don't know anything about how much money he's made from that, but I've always heard that he's a he's a pretty like he's. He's connected with some other wealthy people now that he's wealthy with his situation at Kentucky, and he's put money towards things that have made him a lot more money. So I doubt he'll be needing money. But who walks away from nine million dollars a year, nobody, I mean you, It wouldn't be the craziest thing ever, because again, he's not needing money. But I don't care how rich you are, how wealthy you are, walking away from nine million dollars knowing that you will be able to make that money regardless if you win a football game. Like that's crazy, is it not? And again, I can't relate to people who have a whole lot of money because I'm not in their position. But I do think like there are some Kentucky fans that are just it's a wishful it's wishful thinking on their end that if things get things get worse and there's really not a humongously you know, positive outlook moving forward, but he'll just walk away like that. Coaches don't do that. I mean nine MILLI year, I mean that. I mean that's setting up for generational wealth. And look, maybe he already has that. I don't know. I mean, but he could lose every game, including Murray, and it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't just quit and walk away, because again, like coaches aren't wired to do that. And I think the only reason that Kentucky fans kind of think that that could potentially happen is because one his brother did it, and because he does seem burnt out, but it's because he's losing. And you know, also, I guess he's seen burned out before he coached the game this year because of his comments, and look, maybe that's a bigger factor than Kentucky fans wanted to acknowledge. It was never a good look whenever you're going into a season and your coach at media day when he's there to promote and really lift up his team and really just be a guy that's you know, doing the pep rally stuff, right, You're here doing the you know, the media day stuff, going from interview to interview because you're there to promote your team and talk about the upcoming season. And I'm sure he did a little bit of that, but you know what else he did, and he did some bitching and complaining about like what the job is now. And I can respect him because I think he was just being honest, like I can respect the full transparency, but he also just sounded like a guy who's not really happy doing what he's doing anymore. And maybe that's why the results are what they are, because Kentucky should never lose by twenty eight to this Florida team, and they got demolished in a game they never led in a game they never seemingly had any momentum. They got killed. And it's coming off a loss to Andy, and they got blown out by South Carolina earlier this year. And yes, they did beat ole Miss, but like, at this point, you got to look at that as a real outlier. I guess it'd be nice to know if you're a Kentucky fan that you've seen your team beat a really good team in ole Miss, but one Ole Miss doesn't look as good now as they did at the time you beat him. And does that win even I mean, when you're considering, okay, a win against ole Miss on the road at the time they're ranked number six, does that outweigh Does that have more value than the embarrassing losses you have with blowouts to teams that nobody thinks is good in Florida and South Carolina and a Vandy team that like still is not expected to be you I mean, Vandy's still gonna finish in the maybe the you know it's at the end of the season. The worst teams in the SEC are gonna be Mississippi State, and then in some particular order Vandy, Kentucky, and Auburn. That'll be it. Maybe Arkansas, I don't know. I mean, so to go back to the text, if Louisville does beat you, I can certainly see that being like the loudest that Kentucky fans have been about being upset with Mark Stoops, because even if you are limping into that game, you're gonna feel confident because you know you've dominated this rivalry lately, and you can be down on Stoops and you can be thinking because you were like that last year. I mean, they were down on their team last year in a major way. They were coming off of embarrassing loss at South Carolina, and that South Carolina team won what four games? So you know, I think you can, you know you can, you can already be down. But I think a lost to Louisville at the end of the year would make it to where they're probably as loud as they've ever been as far as wanting some kind of a change. But again, I just think it's wishful thinking because you're not firing him, and who really would walk away from a job that you can be bad at and continue to be unhappy with. But yet you're making nine million dollars a year. Like, I know, he's already rich, so maybe he'd I mean, in fact, I'm sure he didn't view nine million year the way someone like myself would. But like, how many coaches have ever just walked away from that? Not many or maybe any? All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along. We'll let you hear what Jeff Brom had to say as well. We've got some sound from his pres conference. Keep a locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. All right, welcome back. It is coffee and company, fuel byth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget. We will have Louislle basketball post game coverage tonight as soon as the game ends. The exhibition, that is, as Pat Kelsey and the Cards will take on young Harris. That is a team, a school, not a not a person. Nothing political either, by the way, which already seen some you know, Harris comments, jokes whatever.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's we're that close to election. I guess I can't be I can't say that I'm surprised, but let's hear Jeff Bram earlier today. I don't know if we're I don't want to play this in its entirety, but I think when you are hit, you are at a point in the season where Louisville is. Right now, I'd say there's a little more interest from people wanting to hear what your coach has to say about where his team is week.
Speaker 3: So it's, uh, we're back back to work. A lot of things to work on, to find ways to improve. That's what we're addressing now. And uh yeah, that's uh, that's a football season. So you got to adjust to what's happening. You got to improve on weaknesses, and you got to work through it. So we're gonna work hard to get better this week. Got a good opponent as playing some good football. They started off really hot, and I had a couple of close wins that they didn't end up winning that easily could have. So we got to go on the road and find a way to win and it'll be a really good ball game.
Speaker 4: Jeff kind of a two part question, guess how much live tackling do you guys do in practice? And also are some of the things that you're seeing in games showing up in practice far some of those defensive mistakes.
Speaker 3: Well, we've worked a lot of tackling the last couple of weeks, to be quite honest with it. Now, we don't do a ton of live tackling during the season to the ground, you know, you can't roast too many injuries, but we do numerous drills to simulate that. Obviously, we need to continue to emphasize that and tweak it and try to work on as much as we can. It showed up late in the game for sure, if getting guys to the ground and wrapping up, and so we got to continue to address that. Your next question was what again, You know what, We've actually practiced pretty well, to be quite honest with They've been into it. We've worked hard at talking and addressing the things that we think we have not been as good at as we need to be. We've got to continue to get better at it. And you know, we're a little banged up from this past game with some guys not being able to go. So we got to just continue to work through it and have good practice this week. But for sure we'll address it and work on it this week again, Yeah, what.
Speaker 5: Approach can you take to try to head off any lingering effects on that lost Saturday?
Speaker 4: What do you do to combat that?
Speaker 3: Well, the only thing you can do is, uh, you know, we address this situation all year long, and when you go through a football season, if you're not prepared for the ups and downs going into it, then it's going to catch you off guard and you're not gonna be able to address. So we talk about simple things. That's got to be a one game season. Once we get to the season, no matter whether you win or lose, you've got to learn from it and move on and get better and you got to get ready for the next one. And no matter what your record is, you're expected to win the next game. So you kind of have to have that mentality going in. I think we have. We've talked about it. We've had chances to win the games that we've lost, and we've had chances to win a couple of games and we found a way to win. So being better each week is the goal. Improving on some things that show up every week that stand out is the goal. So we will address it and you can continue to try to improve and try to win by one point. This week, we're going to go on the field, but we want to try to play as clean a game as we can and be better at some of the mistakes we've made.
Speaker 6: Jeff, do you have an injury update on Jamar Johnson.
Speaker 3: He'll be out for the year. Yes, Jeff.
Speaker 5: When you look at Boston College offensively, what challenges do you see that they're going to present for you guys?
Speaker 3: Well, they've done a good job. They started hot with a big win against Florida State. They played Missouri right down to the wire. They had the lead on Virginia and let us slip away. You know, they're well coached. Coach of Brown's been there and done that, coach at the highest level. They play hard and knows football. They've got a quarterback that can run and throw that's presented us problems. They've been better on defense than they have been in the past. So it's a it's a good football team and you know, a lot of guys, we got to contain. It starts with the quarterback and we've got to find ways to have some balance on offense and score points.
Speaker 5: Jeff, it seems like after a couple of these games you have felt like the plan was to be aggressive going in that wasn't executed in the game as far as play calls. Is that from a player standpoint? Is that from a from a call er standpoint?
Speaker 3: I think it's a combination of everything. We all need to be better to a certain degree. You know, we talked about being aggressive on on on a certain side of the ball, and maybe we weren't as much as we would like. Sometimes you get in the game and you see what's happening and you just pull back. Uh So we just kind of have to continue to work on having that mentality of putting our players in the best position to succeed having aggressiveness when we do it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: No one went to, you know, maybe pull back on the aggressive, but yes, we want to We want to be as aggressive as we can in all three segments. And and and we've got to just continue to execute it better. And we've got to continue to uh uh carry through with that plan once the game starts, and uh, you know, we'll work hard this week to get that done. It's a combination of a lot of things, a lot of things we've discussed already, but I you know, we we want to make sure, you know, an offense. Uh, we're being aggressive, we're executing, we're uh moving the football, We're not having a bunch of negative plays and penalties. Uh, and we're trying to score points. And you know, somewhat we've had, you know, some good moments and others we've we've been okay. Uh, special teams, I thought we we found a way to to to gain an edge. We faked a punt, We've got to return for a touchdown. There's a huge advantage defensively. You know what we didn't We didn't play our best and uh, I think it's a you know, you've got to be aggressive in your calls. You've got to be lined up and set when the ball snap, and you got to let those guys play. And uh, we got to be sharp in our sharper on our execution and when we do make certain calls, you know what it is, we need to be in the right spot at the right time. Sometimes that doesn't happen. We've got to have some vocal leadership on defense and some guys that are communicating taking the bull by the horn and saying we're going to get this done. So I just think all of us need to continue to work through some things that have not gone well, address it, work hard at approven on it, because every little thing matters, and uh, we just you know, and some of the losses, we haven't been good enough overall to get it done and that falls on me, and we've got to be better at it.
Speaker 6: Jeff, you had had a bunch of these last year. This is your only week night game this year. Does that add any juice to a week when you know, you know you're going to be the only game on and other recruiting advantages to it, you know, everybody getting to see it. I know it's not of high school football, but.
Speaker 3: Still, well, you know what, I don't mind playing during the week. We used to do a lot here. We had a lot of success whether it was a lot of fun. You know, you're on TV and and it's a fun, fun time to play. So for us going on the road, it'll it'll be a challenge, a shorter week. And like I said, we were a little more nicked up in this game than we have in a while. It's a physical game and they found a way to win in the end. But you know, every game is important. Every game You've got to try to win every game matters.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And no matter what your record is, every game matters, So this is an important game. Uh and Uh, really, you can be judged all you want during your season. That's fine. You're gonna be judged in the season of where you're at, what your record is, and how you've done. Can we continue to grind this thing out and work hard and and and that'll have to display some toughness to get it done. Mental toughness and physical toughness. But that's that's why you play, That's why I coach. And you know, this will be a good challenge and we're looking forward to, uh seeing how we stack.
Speaker 4: Up about Thomas Costianos. What have you seen from him? And you know, how are you guys? I guess working to another mobile quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well, he presents challenges and we we've got to have a really good plan. We've got to execute it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We've got to be conscious of of his athleticism with the ball in his hands, and they do a great job with him. No run him, He'll pull it on the zone read he can scramble. Even though we had one of our better games last year against BC just because we were we were hitting on all cylinders own offense. He made a lot of plays. If the game is closer, it would have been a different story. And he definitely keeps him in the ball game. And they rely on his strengths, and he's a really good weapon, and he will be tough to defend. And so we gotta we got to step up to the plate, and we got to play a good football game and try to limit his effectiveness. Effectiveness this excuse me, I kind of didn't say that, right, But we gotta limit how good he plays against this and and and we got to get better on defense. And this is a game that will challenge us to do that, and I'd like to see us improve.
Speaker 5: In addition to Johnson, Is there any other guys that aren't going to be able to play this week?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's probably easier if you ask me names. Yeah, they're gonna be some guys that are out and you know we're yeah, yeah, I'll be so yep.
Speaker 6: Place he at the point where kind of you're starting to see now what you expect to see from him this season. I mean, he's he's kind of close to one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Well, we did want to be a little castous getting him back because he came back early from a collar bone surgery that was against Notre Dame when he was just cleared, So we were a little casts of using him too much. We got him out, uh, returning a lot of the kicks. He's done a great job. He just really is a strong runner. Uh, he's fearless, he goes hard. He has a good knack of catching the football when it's around him, and uh, he's somebody we just got to utilize. And I just think every game, if we could continue to make sure the balls in his hands numerous, he can help us win. He competes, he plays hard. Uh, and I think he's done a really good job and now I can see him continue to get better for us.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So that was Jeff rom earlier today. You know, I'm hearing him discuss some of the things that they have to get better at and the things they've been working on. You know, it's all you can do. But I mean, you can just tell with his tone and just you know, even if you can't tell, and maybe I'm imagining him having a tone that seems frustrated. It's not ideal to be focused on those kind of things at this point in the season, but you know, you got to start somewhere. They got to work on tackling. I mean, they were clearly really bad at it on Saturday against Miami, and yes, Miami was a factor in that too, But you know, Boston College, it's it's it's back to the Virginia game for me as far as okay, you know, this is one that if you somehow slip up and lose, that would be your first one that you can't really say, well, what are you going to do? The team you played is really good, and I'm not sure people are saying that about notreed AMSMU or Miami. Clearly those are good teams, all top twenty teams, but Boston College is not. They're coming off back to back losses and it's a chance for Louisvale to bounce back on Friday night, and I'm hoping they do exactly that. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side of wrap of the four o'clock hour talk a little basketball, because yes, we've got Louisville basketball tonight, first exhibition game for Pat Kelsey and his team, and we'll have postgame coverage, postgame calling show as soon as it ends right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. But we got a lot of time before we get there, so stick with us as we take you up until six o'clock right here Coffee and Company. Fiel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Some big news in the NFL scary situation yesterday Jade and Daniels leaving with what appeared to be a rib injury. Got some x rays done during the game, and I know this was as recent as the last hour or so. That he's listed as week to week, which I guess doesn't give you a whole lot, but clearly it's serious enough to where they've got to monitor it. I think if you're a Commander's fan, then you probably were hoping it was you know, go get some pictures done and you know, maybe he feels a lot better than next day. But obviously the Commanders have proven to be one of the better teams in the league. Probably not you know, a team that is realistically going to compete for a Super Bowl. But Jade Daniels has been sensational and obviously, you know, he's better than Marcus Marriott. Although Mariota came in yesterday and played well for them in the in the second half. But yeah, Jade Daniels a guy who I think even if he doesn't play the rest of the season, he'd probably still be deserving of Rookie of the Years. That's a little bit of a stretch, and I'm sure he will be back. But I'm not even sure who would be considered the second best rookie in the NFL right now because of how good Jayden Daniels has been. I know Brock Bauers to tie end for the Raiders got off to a really good start, but I'm not sure if that was sustained. So and I don't know any Commanders fans. I'm sure they have some, but yeah, your franchise quarterback or the guy that looks to be the future. It doesn't sound like it's too serious, but obviously anytime without him is probably something you know, you want to avoid. We don't have a whole lot of time left here. In the four o'clock hour, we will shift to hoops, not you know, not exclusively in the five o'clock hour, but it is game day. Young Harris will talk a little bit about them, because it is in fact a real team and they're from Georgia, a D two school, and I'm not sure of the connection. Somebody asked this on the text line earlier, and I don't know the answer to the question is there's some kind of a connection, because usually these games are again like, for example, the reason we played Leanne Rimes a couple of years ago Leonora Ryan is because their coach was Everick Sullivant, who played here at Louisville many years ago. And the other exhibition opponents are typically schools that are local. This year they're playing Spalding, which is in fact the Division III school they had a couple of years where they played Simmons. They are I'm not even sure if they're NAI or what. But yeah, I don't know, you know, as far as like why Louisville picked this school, I'm not sure. Maybe there's some kind of connection, but if there is, I don't know about it. All right, let's talk about the Jefferson Animal Hospital, shall we. That's who you need to keep in mind. In fact, don't just keep them in mind. That's who you need to turn to. That is who you should be going to when it comes to any medical situation with your pet. Now, I keep mentioning the fact that if there's an emergency, they're there for you, because you know, not many are open twenty four hours a day like they are. I mean, they don't really have competitors because they are above all the competition, the so called competition. So yes, keep them in mind. If in fact, something happens and you're worried and you know, maybe maybe middle of the night, maybe a holiday, they're going to be there. They've been open since nineteen eighty forty four years. They've had a doctor on staff on site twenty four hours a day in case of an emergency. But no better time than now to find a provider when it comes to somebody that can, you know, can help you. When it comes to the health of your pets. Your pets are family members. You love them, you want to keep them healthy, and you know they can't communicate with us the way you know your kids can. I mean, I guess they can in their own way, but you know what I mean, right, they won't tell you if they're sick, if they if they seem like they're you know, something's bothering them, make an appointment, go bring them into the Jefferson Animal Hospital and they'll get you taken care of. So you can visit Jefferson Vets dot com to get more information, or you can give them a call at five to nine hundred pets. All right, just as we reset here at the top, we got another hour to go. I'm kind of scrolling through the text line here today and it's it's not as pessimistic as maybe I would have expected. And I'm not saying that like I'm you know, bummed that people aren't more pessimistic. It's just, you know, I I was curious if today would be the day where I got the sense that those reacting here on the show, rather it be callers or people texting or people tweeting during the show like they have, they kind of not checked out, because saying checked out means that, like, you don't care anymore, and we're all going to be tuned in on Friday night watching this team blay Boston College, hoping that they went. Of course, if you are a Louisville fan, it just felt like Saturday for me was a you know, not a big missed opportunity as if you blew it, because I mean, Miami played you, they were better. I just wish that that was one you could have let get away, and you wouldn't be looking at the earlier losses and just reminding yourself, damn, like we shouldn't have these three losses. But hey, maybe I'm maybe I'm giving this team too much credit, right because I still look at every loss they have as a game they could have won. But I'm also well aware that could have, would have, should have doesn't mean anything. It's it's a results based thing here. You win or you lose. And they lost again on Saturday, and it's a bummer, but they did play a really, really good team that wouldn't I mean, I think Miami. I don't know if they're going to win the national championship because I still think there are teams that clearly look to be in a better position. But if a team wants to try to get in a shootout with them, I think Kim Ward looks like he's more than capable of doing his part. All right, quick break, We got the five o'clock hour coming up next. Right here, it's Coffee and Company fieldbrouth Thorton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety