Speaker 1: You're all the same age, do y'all look the same? No? Right, health risks you know, X, Y and Z, so like, don't use age as a reason that you can or can't do and do anything. It's it's very paternalistic, it's very not individualized. It's a stupid way to think about things.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, my name is Haley and this is Laura and welcome to the Body Pod. So welcome everyone to this bonus zoom with doctor Kelly Casperson.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Kelly is as I just mentioned, a good time all around in person on a zoom. We love her. So we're gonna get right to the questions.
Speaker 3: Kelly.
Speaker 1: Welcome, thank you for having me, Happy to be here, happy to be back. Welcome everybody.
Speaker 3: We love having you back.
Speaker 1: As usual.
Speaker 2: We will try to take some questions at the end if we have time, but I'm going to get to all of the questions first that you all have submitted. So question number one, can bag EFM help improve increased urge for urination. I don't have incontinence issues, but find I can increase frequency avoiding in the last year.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is like I'm like, I'm usually like I just have very long answers, usually because I want to like explain why and all these things. But I'm like then he can't get through all the questions, like that's a yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well we only have like thirty four, which I mean is not a small amount, but it's not like, Okay.
Speaker 1: We'll do yes and knows where we where we can? Is that yeah? Perfect? Yes? Absolutely? Badge em for the wind for the bladders. Also decreases urinary tract infection and burning with urination and bladder leakage and getting up at night top.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's go into how is that different than like just using like vaginal estrogen.
Speaker 1: Badge of M is vaginal estrogen.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I was like, that's it's new to me. I've never heard that that name.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of different names. The generic is estra dial.
Speaker 2: And how does that compare if you have like leakage or anything to like the what did you tell me to take that one time?
Speaker 1: The or the were we talking about mir Betrick?
Speaker 2: No, the injections, what are the injections checked for? Oh?
Speaker 1: Bulkhamd ulkamid okay ulkamed Okay. Well, now we're in the middle of this conversation. Okay, So bladder leakage is complex and there are multiple types of bladder leakage. And for everybody who doesn't know, I'm a urologist, which is why I get to say all these things because I'm like the most trained in bladders besides pelvic floor physical therapists who are also awesome. So there's two main types of bladder leakage. Urge, which is overactive bladder, urgency frequency, leak with leak just getting your pants down, leak out of the way to the toilet, leak with the key in the door. Urgency that's overactive bladder. And then there's stress in continence, which is leaking with cough sneezed, laugh a force. So bulkamed is basically filler for the errethra. If you think of filler for your cheeks or your lips, it is filler for your urethra that insurance covers and that helps with stress in continence so cough sneezed, laugh filler. Bulkamed does not help with overactive bladder, which is urgency frequency getting up at night to pe leak with that. But botox, which we think of in our face botox in the bladder is for overactive bladder urgency frequency. So to narrow that down, stress in continents, bulkamed urgent continents, overactive bladder, botox, pelvic floor physical therapy both of them, vaginal estrogen both of them, and if you have both of them, if I leak when I cough, and I also have urgency frequency, when you have both, it's called mixed incontinence. Pelvic floor physical therapy works awesome for it win that I win.
Speaker 2: Know where the botox is getting inserted when you do it in the good question.
Speaker 1: So urologists will take a flexible camera digital camera after they've numbed up your bladder with numbing jelly, flexible camera into the bladder and directly injected into the bladder muscle. That bladder muscle is what gets spastic with overactive bladder. So in the bladder outpatient procedure besides the numbing part, takes two minutes. I love botox for in the bladder because it's so easy, it's painless, and women do really great with it. It's been after you approved since twenty thirteen, so it's like not new at this point. Just nobody knows about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna try it because I've been scared to try it for you.
Speaker 1: Have a good urologist near Denver. I do, She'll do.
Speaker 3: She'll give us the bladder Boutique. How cute? Does that? That like makes you want to go in?
Speaker 1: No, it's so good, doctor Alex Rogers, for anybody in the foothills of.
Speaker 3: Colorado, He's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's move on to there's so much discussion on perimenopause right now. But what does postmenopause look like, what happens in this stage of life, and how does it affect the fitness journey?
Speaker 1: Love that and this will be the next forty five minutes, just kidding. So to define things for people, because these words get thrown around and you've really got to define them. So the word menopause was made up hundreds of years ago by a male physician, and it means one year with no natural periods. So at the three hundred and sixty sixth day after you had your last period, that is your official menopause day. In the years leading up to that, when the ovaries are fluctuating in their horrmone production, that is called peri menopause perry, meaning surrounding, but we usually mean like the before of menopause. So let's say it's been six months since you had a natural period, that's perimenopause. You're not officially in menopause until you've had no period for one year. The bummer with that is two things. Number One, one third of American women don't have natural periods. What they have iud's hysterectomies, uterine oblations, or they just get pregnant really late and then never have a period again. Right, So it's a bad definition because one third of women don't have a period to be like, let me check, let's see where this is birth control pills, right. And then the other bummer with that word is that it tells you what happens as a result of what's actually happening. Let me explain that the word menopause means one you're no period. Well, what's happening in your life isn't just your periods running out? You have no periods because your hormones are low, and so a lot of women think menopause just means no periods. That's actually a consequence of what's actually happening, which is you are outliving your ovaries. So just like when we outlive our eyes, we get glasses. We outlive our ears, we get hearing aids. We outlive our teeth, we get implants or dental work. We outlive our knee, we get a knee replacement. We outlive our heart valve, we get a heart valve replacement. I'm building this up to say, why the one organ when we outlive it, we don't replace it. Start thinking about things like that because people will say they'll shame women into not seeking health care by saying menopause is natural. Yes, it is natural. So is childbirth, so is breaking a bone. And we don't tell people just to deal with it. We help them out with it. So that's how I like to think about this, and like to think about how we encourage women to seek help or not, and how we shame them and tell them they should X, Y and z instead of saying, well, we replace all other body parts if we can, including testicles. About twenty percent of men will outlive the life span of their testicles, and we don't tell them it's natural. We say, oh, we've got totosterone options for that. So if I could change anything, it would be in getting women to understand what this actually is because so many women just think it's a hot flash or no periods. Those are the consequences of no hormones. So that's why we always got it. I always have to start with definitions because there's a lot of assumptions of what it is if we don't kind of clear it up in the beginning. So the question was how does that affect training going forward? And the other one other definition post menopause. What's that mean? Postmenopause means all the days after that one day after year, no periods for one year, right, so if you haven't had any periods for a year and two days, you're technically post menopause. But the problem with the language of postmenopause is women think they're over something, or they're through something, or like now things don't don't mean them, or something like that. But every single day after a year of no periods, you have low hormones. So there's no over menopause. There's no done with menopause. You always will have low hormones until you die unless you choose to replace them. So to get women to think this is you living longer than your ovary life span, we live longer than lots of body parts. The only difference is we replace all the other body parts. We just kind of shame women when it comes to replacing ovarian hormones. But we replace thyroid, we replace insulin, we replace joints and ligaments and heart valves and teeth and eyes and ears. That's a very natural thing to replace what we've outlived. And I really want people to think about that. And the other thing I say in my book is I'm not here to tell you what to do. I don't care if you go on hormones. Frankly, like I don't care your body not mine. I make my choices, you make yours. But I do care desperately that you're educated about it and you can make an educated decision in what you want to do, and you're not making a disc vision from fear or for lack of education. And that's what my book is about. And after you read the book, you'll be like I likely we'll be choosing hormones now, thank you very much, because we have decades of data on how they help us. So what do hormones do and how is this tie to the question hormones and the hormone receptors are in every single organ in your body, and hormones help healthy cells stay healthy. What does that mean? That means that they don't do so good at treating disease once you have it, they work much better in preventing disease. So we know that women who choose not to take hormones postmenopause have a higher risk of osteoarthritis. Well, that affects your training, doesn't it. Women who choose not to be on hormones have a higher rate of bone fracture. Well, that affects your training, doesn't it. Women who choose not to be on hormones have a higher rate of insulin resistance and diabetes and depression. Oh, well, that all affects your training, doesn't it. So you'll you'll hear people and be like, hormones doesn't don't specifically help your muscles grow, well, not if you don't work your muscles and feed your muscles, right, But hormones help heal healthy muscles stay healthy, and we have some decent data that the hormones can help muscles grow, but not without eating well and training them. So you can't just like throw on an estrogen patch or t stostroone and like get beautiful biceps, you actually have to do the work. But all hormones do is help healthy cells stay healthy. So of course that likely will help your training.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how is that?
Speaker 1: That was long? But we had to do some we had to do some definitions.
Speaker 3: We had to I love it.
Speaker 2: Where do you see the research going in the next I don't know, let's say through until twenty thirty, so we.
Speaker 3: Have maybe four years of research.
Speaker 2: Do you do you foresee any more research looking into you know, potential muscle benefits, more bone studies.
Speaker 3: Where do you see the research going?
Speaker 1: What I see happening right now, that's happening pretty fast is brain, brain, brain, brain, And I think this is my my prediction. I won't take bets on it, but my prediction is within five years we're going to pretty confidently say yeah, this stuff prevents dementia on a much more. We've got pretty decent data that we can say it right now, but we're getting stronger and stronger on that data. And so to me, I'm like, listen, if you're sitting around waiting for the another thirty year study, you're gonna be dead by then, right, Like we're not dead, but like too old to prevent the dementia. So we have to use the data that we have right now to make the best decisions. And the way that the data on the brain is going within a couple of years, it's going to be pretty solid that if you start this stuff early, you're going to have a significant dementia prevention on your side. And so for me, I'm like, listen, wait around if you want for that data. But like all arrows are pointing in that direction, So why wouldn't you start now? I think that's going to be a lot more than muscle and bone. I mean, the bone data we already know. Like to me, I'm like, there's no more research that needs to be done to show the protective benefits on bone at this point, Like everybody knows that, and I think the way we're seeing more midlife women train, there will probably be more and better data on muscle. But again, muscle, muscle builds not on hormones alone, right, So it's like you've got to lift heavy, you've got to eat, you've got to sleep, Like so much has to be right for a muscle to grow. But can people grow muscles without being on hormones. Absolutely, yes, because it takes many things to get muscles to grow. But yeah, it's okay, the data's coming. But you know, the argument is like, we don't have a randomized placebo control trial looking at prevention, and it's like, oh, did you do you have a billion dollars to cough that up to have? Like that statement is so pointless because of what it costs to do a long term, randomized we'll seeble control trial. It's like, you got to make the decision with the data we have now, because it's unrealistic to wait for some philanthropists to give you a billion dollars to study this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean that's that's the big problem with a lot of research or lack of research. It's the timing and the money. Yep.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So if we move on to what are the three bogus or grifty claims products slash treatments women should be wary of. I am a woman's health NP and have taken the Heather Hirsh course.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, good job.
Speaker 2: A lot of women in this very vulnerable time of life getting taken advantage of. And I want to be more educated around the things that are being peddled that just aren't as effective but cost a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yes, very expensive red light vibrator, that's a thing. Yes, I won't name any names.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's one.
Speaker 1: But if it's a big ass hard plastic vibrator with red light therapy on it and it's hundreds of dollars, don't buy it. Please do, please do not put this clip on social media. But you can put it on your podcast. That's fine. But that's specifically. So that's one that really bothers me. What else? What other myths really bother me? I don't know. I mean, here's the thing. People complain when nobody's supporting women, supporting women's needs, supporting women's products, supporting women's research. We get all cranky when people aren't doing that. And then when people are like female owned company trying to help women, to support women, and here's some products to help women, we're like grifters, right, Like, you can't have both. You can't have people not in this space, and then a bunch of people in this space, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, I truly believe a lot of people are trying to help women with women's problems. So I was at I was at this entrepreneurial thing in Seattle, and somebody came up and they are developing a cooling vest, like it's like a sports bra thing and it helps cool you. And I'm like, great, well, you know if you go on hormones that treats hot flashes by ninety percent, Like, I'm literally trying to put your product out of business. And she had no idea that hormones treat that problem so well, So I'm like, why are you developing a product that, like I am trying to I'm trying to put you out of business because if women actually were on hormones, they're not going to have hot flashes. They don't need your product, right, So it's that's the thing, is like, don't don't create a product for like something that if you actually helped the woman, they wouldn't have that problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I was just at the I don't know wherever I thought you were going to be, but you weren't there.
Speaker 1: In plain what.
Speaker 2: Hers remember I saw I did with you the week before and I was like, I don't know, I was going to go to this.
Speaker 3: One conference that you were at. Yeah, I canceled that one and went to the South Run in New York.
Speaker 1: Honey, but this.
Speaker 2: One like we got this whole bag of goodies, you know at the end. But half of these products there was like some this is what I think of when I think of like grifter products. It was like some tea and it was like, you know, this will take away cellulite and boost your energy. And I'm like, this is just not getting.
Speaker 3: This at a menopause conference.
Speaker 2: And then there was some like there was some like neck roll that's supposed to like I don't know, take years off whatever.
Speaker 3: I've been trying it. It's not working right.
Speaker 2: But those things, of all of these products that are now targeted to women in this age group that it's like come.
Speaker 1: On, well yeah, but I yeah, I agree. And I think women are vulnerable because they're undertreated. They feel miserable. They think there's a quick fix, because that's the American dream is to have a quick fix to everything. Is like, can I do something besides exercise, please? It's like no, at the end of the day, Like at the end of the day, there's like nothing actually better than exercise. And here I am. I prescribe hormones for a living I am a physician. I know so much about hormones. I wrote a book on it. My podcast is mostly about hormones. And nothing is better than exercise. Nothing is better than exercise. If you were like Kelly, you could wear an estrogen patch for the rest of your life and not exercise, or you could exercise and not have hormones. Like pick the exercise and that and hormones do a lot, but nothing is better than exercise. So like to me, I'm like, are all these products just trying to get women to like they're like, can I do something besides exercise? Like we exercise?
Speaker 2: There's nothing better, There's nothing better. That's the tagline of the night. Okay, that's a USU.
Speaker 1: You should brand that Kelly Bapcot Fitness. There's nothing to exercise, There's nothing better.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Well think if something happens on the end, and it will, it will go Okay. So, twelve years post MENO, sixty six years old osteoporosis, want to start transdermal low dose HRT but also have moderate calcium plaque. I feel like it's a toss up fall and break a hip versus heart attack. Thoughts on starting HRT. I do train with a trainer three times a week.
Speaker 1: I love it. So make sure you're lifting and that you're eating enough proteins you can build your bones back. Everybody thinks, here's another myth. Everybody thinks that a bone is like a fixed rod that never changes. Like bones change depending upon the stress put upon them. Why do you think astronauts can't walk when they come back from the International Space Station? Right, It's like because bones and muscles change because of their environment. So it all is not lost if you aren't on hormones. And I always just want to say that, you know, because people are like, but I can't take hormones. The majority, and I will put I will put a ton of money on this. The majority of people who think they can't take hormones are wrong. I will repeat that, the majority of people who think they can't take hormones are wrong. Now you need a qualified, trained hormone practitioner who knows that the age greater than ten years postmenopause, you can't take hormones. That is a myth. It's not true. If you read, I would say it's this is free online for anybody who's a baild NERD twenty twenty two menopause guidelines. It says benefit outweighs the risk if you start within ten years of your last period, benefit out weighs the risk. You need to know how strong how strongly worded that is. Medical system doesn't say that for many things the benefit out weighs the risk. That is a massive statement. Okay, now it's ten years and one day since your last period. Did something magically change on that one day? Right? You can see how arbitrary that ten year rule is. Okay, so nine years and eleven months before you're after your period, that's fine, and then ten years and one month after your period, that's not fine. Like, think about this logically, it makes no sense. But they drew a line in the sand. You gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere and say after ten years, risk is individualized, benefits individualized. Consult with an expert. A lot of people who aren't experts, they say that means you can't have any hormones after ten years. No, No, what it means coronary artery calcium score, which is what that woman said. There is no coronary artery calcium score at which hormones are contraindicated. You need an expert to be able to know that though you have risk, you have risk, you're older and you haven't bet on hormones for ten years, there's risk, that risk is very minimal, especially with a transdermal lessure dial path, so you need to see an expert. Doctors are getting trained faster than they ever have, doctors, nurse practitioners PAS, and everybody who can prescribe. But they're still behind, but they're catching up. And the boomers. I have a chapter in my boot called the Boomers Are Pissed. I have a podcast episode called the Boomers Are Pissed because the boomers were average age fifty one in two thousand and two when the media scared all the women about their hormones and said hormones cause heart disease and breast cancer. They do not, but they didn't get their hormones. And they're fifty one and now they're seventy and they're pissed because they didn't get them then and now they think they can't get them now. About a third of my practice is perimenopause. Because perimenopause it's a very symptomatic state because it's reverse puberty, right, hormones up and down, up and down, up and down. I would argue that's the hardest part to treat because you're you're on a boat on a wavy water. Postmenopause, you don't have any hormones. There's no waves anymore. We just get to fill the boat, right, So a third is perimenopause, a third is average menopause fifty one year olds, and then a third of my practice is women in their seventies because they're pissed because their friends are breaking hips, they've got osteoporosis and osteopedia. They've been told they can't have hormones and they want a chance. So if you don't have an informed doctor, you go to MIDI, go to Alloy, go to joy JOI. There's lots of online clinics now that see women in most states. And I always say, have a warm audience. Right If your doctor doesn't prescribe hormones and isn't up to date on all of this, that's not a really warm audience. But these online clinics they prescribe hormones as a business. That's their business. It's a warm audience, so check them out.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, All right, So next question I've learned recently that with menopause it is common. This is like the question of the night kell You're gonna love this one. It is common that there is a thinning of the labia. This in turn makes this tissue very easily irritated during any type of friction while exercising, running, cycling, swimming. Have unfortunately been dealing with this for the past few years as a woman who exercises daily. Do you have any suggestions to alleviate this problem?
Speaker 1: Yes, fix it.
Speaker 3: With vaginal estrogen, with hormones.
Speaker 1: So people like again, it's it's health literacy, right, Like your labia and your clitteris, and your volva and your vagina and your bladder for that matter, all became adult structures because of hormones. It's no mystery. If you know what menopause is. You living longer than the production of your ovarian hormones. So if you know what that is, And now you say, oh, the things that required hormones to be functional are changing because the hormones are gone. Yes, oh, replace the hormones. So I mean it gets bad. You know, people joke, Oh, show, what's a little vaginal dryness? Blah blah, Like these women can't sit. They can't sit. Every time they pee, they have to like spray their whole perineum with water because it burns so much. They want to cry. They've stopped having sex years ago. Like this is a massively big, painful problem, and women get dismissed all the time because of it. But it's like, this is a legitimate issue. So hormones, hormones, hormones, hormones. See somebody who's trained in a good pelvic exam, who can see what's going on. There's lots of different options. There's they're cheap Mark Cuban costs plus drugs vaginal estrogen thirteen dollars plus shipping. Do not be I always tell all my patients you should not be paying more than thirty or forty dollars for your vaginal estrogen cream. I can get it for thirteen dollars Mark Cuban, Pharmacy, Generic better around Forever.
Speaker 2: Skin care for down there, Skin care for down there.
Speaker 3: I learned that from you. Okay.
Speaker 2: So, if someone has high lp A, is there an increased risk for blood clots leading to heart attack and stroke from using an estrogen patch. No, I LPA is a risk factor by itself for sticky or blood promoting Arthur scrolerosis. It is genetic like familiar hypo cholesterol.
Speaker 3: Cholesterol.
Speaker 1: Lema, helly, you're doing awesome. These are hard these are hard words. Good job.
Speaker 3: First of all, my eyes are terrible.
Speaker 1: I the question last week, you're sitting in the dark. First of all, you.
Speaker 2: So Kelly said you look like a floating head black with a black background.
Speaker 3: So now I feel like I need to show Neil.
Speaker 1: He's in a dark cave everybody, and she's reading very hard words and she needs her reading glasses and she is doing great.
Speaker 3: And a person is born with that. Okay, that was the question. Whew, another one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you did great. So LP little A is basically a technical form of cholesterol, for lack of a better term, it's a newer risk factor. Not everybody checks it, not all insurances cover it, but it is actually a more accurate risk factor than LDL cholesterol alone or total cholesterol alone, I think, especially in the female community. So everybody says it's genetic and fixed and you can't do a darn thing about it. Not true. Guess what lowers LP little a estrogen? So every time I see like it's this is a fixed gen I just read it in the Economists this week. It's a fixed genetic component. Uh ah, I guess what happened to my LP little A when I threw on my estragar patch. So so there you go. Cardiac risk does go up when hormones go down because estrogen is anti inflammatory. Estrogen helps keep cholesterol low. And we can go into that further so people understand it. But LP little A is not a contraindication to hormone therapy. If anything, it's a reason to consider hormone therapy, right, Like, decrease your risks as much as possible and make sure your metabolic health is dialed in if you've got some risk factors optim Because here's the thing, this will be the next book. People think that their health is like fixed, Like, oh, this is how it is. Like No, why do you think the astronauts don't walk when they come back to earth? Because your body changes based upon the forces surrounding it, what you feed it, how you move it, how you sleep, how you deal with stress. Are you feeling it? Alcohol? For the love of God, if you have a risk factor of heart disease, do not effing drink alcohol. Right, Like, that's what I want people to understand because they're like, oh, this is how it is. I got delta bad hand. No, you didn't know, you didn't like some The genetic risk for disease is actually very small compared to lifestyle risk for disease.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're dropping bombs left and right, Kelly, I'm gonna just walk around.
Speaker 1: So I've been doing this for a while, Haley, because I think LP little so my first rodeo Haley.
Speaker 2: Okay, if somebody's on estrogen gel and progesterone for for four to five months but still experience breakthrough bleeding went through menopause five years ago, is there should you be concerned?
Speaker 1: I usually say it about six months again, like you know, are your hormone levels too high? Is something too low? I hate the word balance, but I would think, like, you know, what's what are the doses can be adjusted, but especially in early menopause, like your tissues are just responding to hormones that you that you're giving them. So uh takes a while, but if it you know, to me, I have a very low threshold for getting a vaginal ultrasound just to see what's going on. You have a fibroid. That's, you know, liking to bleed because you're giving it hormones. But I have a low threshold for working it up. But especially in young menopause, when you start hormones, it can bleed again because the uterus loves hormones. So the uters is just kind of waking up.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm on the wavy boat, Kelly, I'm on the way boat, and I want to get off. I don't.
Speaker 1: I want to get off the wavy sea sick. But I lost my cookies on this waving boat.
Speaker 2: I've lost my cookies. I left my dog outside last night, like luckily not all night because it was cold, but things that I just don't don't do.
Speaker 3: And the floodgate's are open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yours, and adjust your hormones, Hayley.
Speaker 3: I know I need to talk to Heather.
Speaker 1: We need to, we need to, we need to dial it in and let's let's let's expand that to be useful to other people here. Hormone therapy is not one size fits all. And the thing I see very commonly, especially in the insurance based healthcare system, where like you might see your doctor once a year or twice a year, as people are like, Carls didn't work for me. No, you just didn't adjust them as need right. So that is like, oh, you might need things adjusted right now, might need some more estrogen.
Speaker 3: Like so I just.
Speaker 2: Saw this on Instagram. Does estrogen? Is that like progesterone helps you fall asleep and then estrogen helps you stay asleep?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: If I'm waking up in the middle of the night. I'm not trying to turn this into the Haley Show, somebody.
Speaker 1: It is the Haley Show, though, so it does get to be about Haley.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked us in Shred and I was like, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: That's me too.
Speaker 2: So if you're waking up in the middle of then I could an estrogen does change help?
Speaker 1: Yep? Or a progesterone they both can help?
Speaker 3: Okay, yep?
Speaker 1: Yes is the answer?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I love The answer is tonight's related to menopause and is there anything you can recommend to get rid of it. I'm on hormone therapy and it has subsided during the day, but the nights are still noisy. Ah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, lots of reasons. So tonight is for people who don't know that's ringing in the ears. It's super annoying. It's like drive underagina, right, Like how bad is driv vagina? It's like how bad is ringing in the ear? Dude, it's bother. It's a problem. Like it's like you blurry eyes, right, how bad is dry eyes? It's a problem. Like all of these things are a problem. So ringing the ears can happen for many reasons. Low, low, or fluctuating hormones is one of them. So to me, I would be like, you know, what's your dose? Do you want to try our higher dose? But it's not. Hormones don't fix everything that ails us, but they help healthy cells stay healthy. And sometimes our doses do need to be adjusted. And yes, it's a thing. There's more vertigo. My grandma had horrific vertigo and my mom has bad vertigo, And so I always care about the conditions that I'm like, Hey, does hormones help decrease these things that my ladies have? Right? Women who take hormones have less vertigo. Women who take hormones have less macular degeneration. So again, hormones help healthy cells stay healthy. I want to have healthy cells as long as I can. That's the thing to think about. It's like, don't just try to fix it once it's broken. We want to keep the ship upright. We don't want to pull the ship from the bottom of the ocean. We want to keep it up right. We want to keep the water from going in the ship.
Speaker 3: Yes, keep the water out of the ship. Okay.
Speaker 2: For someone who has an elevated risk of breast cancer and a history of seizures, is there any Are there any forms of hormones that are safe to take?
Speaker 1: Hormones don't cause breast cancer. Let's figure that out first. So really, it's a what is it? What's that called a non sequitor when you're like saying something but like, hormones aren't even related to this question, Like, hormones don't cause breast cancer. Next question, So optimize. If you have a high family risk of breast cancer, you better not be e f and drink and any alcohol. Girlfriend, ten percent of breast cancers are from alcohol in this country, knock it off.
Speaker 3: What about seizures.
Speaker 1: Seizures are not a reason not to be on hormones. I'm not sure why they think that is.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I'm also going to throw in the legal advice that Kelly is not your is not anyone's physician.
Speaker 3: This is for.
Speaker 1: Education purposes only. Red hairing. I'm like, what is that word? When you just say something that's like random and not related? Is that a red herring? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: But in all serious is if that person was my patient, I would say, what is your actual risk for breast cancer? Are you up to date on screening? Do you need a bigger genetic workout work up? I send people to my geneticist people when they want to, right, because these women they're just sitting passively being like, I've got this risk, I better not do anything for my health. Right, And it's like, why do you think Let's have people think for a hot second, why do you think that most women who are diagnosed with breast cancer are postmenopause, not on any hormones. Like the majority of people who get breast cancer have no hormones in their bodies.
Speaker 2: Let's let that sink in, sinking in, right, it's sinking in.
Speaker 1: And the Big two thousand and two Women's Health Initiative, people who are on estrogen alone at a twenty percent decrease risk of breast cancer. And if you got breast cancer, you died less if you were on hormones leading up to the breast cancer diagnosis. Like, get educated. I can't encourage people to get more educated on this. You're living in fear. You're making shitty health decisions because you're afraid get educated about this. Like living in fear sucks, absolutely sucks. Like knock it off, feisty tonight, Haley, But this is this is in the dark, Haley.
Speaker 2: In the dark and Kelly after dark. Okay, what about cardiac health? That that too, is like a cardiac risk for someone over sixty five, same thing you kind of covered that, right.
Speaker 1: Oh well, cardiac risk is not a contraindication to hormone therapy. And remember when we say hormone therapy, what do people think of They think of swallowing an estrogen pill. Right, Hormones are a very big tent, very big tent. Lots of animals in the zoo, right, vaginal estrogen like wallabies and koalas both. Right, So when people say hormones, they the colloquial thought is estrogen or oral estrogen, which is what the risks were. And remember the risk from the wr was oral synthetic that was oranges. We're applying that to Apple, it's very different. So under the hormone tent, we've got progesterone, testosterone, transdermal estrogen, vaginal estrogen, all these different things. And so if you think I can't take hormones, that's insane. That's a very big tent. You got to break it down and be specific. So cardiac risk factors, there's you know, what are you know, what are your cardiac risk factors? And how would starting hormones make that worse? Think about it biologically, physiologically, for cellularly, right, like this is this is all logic and biology. It's actually once you know it, and the experts like this isn't We're not talking about like beliefs in Santa Claus Like this is like science and health. It's like not that bad, it's not that scary once you understand it. Factor five Leiden is not a contraindication to hormone therapy.
Speaker 2: Oh I love you just saw that one coming in. Okay, there's a whole there's a whole bunch there. What are the options ten years post meno to preserve bone health at sixty so you can still like start and see bone benefits after some Yeah.
Speaker 1: We start women in their seventies on hormones all the time. Okay, you need a trained clinician who understands individual risks and benefits, right, So for me, for me to be like everybody, No, you have individual risks and benefits, but the majority this is what I Why are you? Why are you making age an issue? Like what other health condition are you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Nope, because you're fifty seven? Like do we do that to men? Sorry? Men over the age of sixty, you can't have estosterone? Like this age thing is very stupid, but it came because the guidelines say risk benefit outweighs risk ten years under. But have you ever been to a high school reunion?
Speaker 3: Like, everyone's never been to any I went to? Well that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not. I have thirty coming up, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go. But the whole point is for anybody who's been to a high school reunion, you're all the same age. Do y'all look the same? No? Right, health risks you know, X, Y, and Z, so like, don't use age as a reason that you can or can't do and do anything. It's it's it's very paternalistic. It's very not individualized. It's a stupid way to think about things.
Speaker 2: Okay, could you please talk about obtaining testosterone in Canada and how to present to a doctor as this seems to be done very rarely here, not like FDA approved for libido, although should be approved for other things as well.
Speaker 1: Canada man like Canada, so I ever, just Rid. Everybody knows I take care of Canadians. I live twenty miles from the Canadian border. Canada's got some healthcare issues, but Canada's got legitimate access issues. But every providence is different on can you seek second opinions and can you pay cash for concier like every providence is different in Canada, So it is it's individualized. I'd say get educated, advocate for yourself. Once we're America is going to get an FDA approved female dose testosterone probably within the next three years, and that's gonna be a very exciting time because because I'm already busy, wait wait till that happens. So it's coming. I mean Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the UK already have a female dose diest asterone product, so I don't know, that's what I'm saying Canada's underserved. Canadians are suffering greatly. The Canadian system is broken in different ways than the American system is broken, but access is a big problem.
Speaker 2: In ken I'm telling you, the Aussies have it figured out. They have the testosterone dose, they have you know, social media ban.
Speaker 3: They are just leading the way down there.
Speaker 1: They've been a pretty sweet system. I actually like, you know, when I was over there and I was learning about it, I'm like, uh, can America have this system? It's like pay for more individualized care. But they've got a nice safety net if you can't do that. Like, I like it from everything I've read about it and experience and talk to people when I was there, I'm like, Australia is good, but this is what's not good about Australia. Just to pick on Australia for a second, guess what happened in twenty twenty five. Dementia became the leading cause of death and the k the UK is right behind.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, America America would be if we just didn't die so much sooner from other crappy things. It's a testament to their living longer. But they've got legitimate metabolic health crazy drinkers, right, So like dementia is now their leading cause of death. It's frightening.
Speaker 2: I understand HRT and how it can alleviate some metopause symptoms, but if the choice is no HRT, how can natural how can you use natural substances to get similar results?
Speaker 3: I'm looking for relief from hot flashes?
Speaker 1: Ah, well, the question is what is why can't you take hormones? Because remember what I said earlier, the majority of people who think they can't take hormones can take hormones, and there is there is nothing more natural than what you're overy naturally produces. Don't be fooled into thinking there's something more natural than what you're overy naturally produces. That says, that's like the definition of natural is just exactly what you always made and then just giving it back to So that would be my question is like why can't you take hormones? And then number two, there's non hormonal FDA approved medications for hot flashes vioza is, besilinitent and n xolinitin, which just got FT approved. They're expensive, af they don't protect your bones, they don't do anything else. They only work on hot flashes, So they're like ten times the cost and they only fix one thing, but they are available. And the other thing is exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise helps a lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving on to Addie. Thoughts on it and how long do you have to take it? Is it like Viagra where you have to take it daily like to get in the mood or is it working on other good questions?
Speaker 1: So, Addie is an FDA approved medication for hypoactive sexual desire disorder, which is a medical term for low libido. It is a once daily pill taken at night. Side effects include mild weight loss and better sleep, So nice parks, don't drink to the more than two alcoholic drinks a day, or skip your dose. The generic is called flobanserine. It has been FDA proof for years now. Not many people know about it. Cost is an issue for many people. It is not like Viagra viagre. How does viagra work? Viagra's of blood flow drug blood flow. Blood flow to the penis equals erections, blood flow to the glitterus equals orgasms. So Viagar's a blood flow drug. Addy or flobanserine, same thing, just generic and Brandy. It is a dopamine drug, So why do you desire things because of your dopamine pathway in the brain. You desire things that are rewarding, right, So don't take a drug and hopes that it's going to increase your desire. If sex isn't good for you in the first place, right, you'll never make me crave mushy broccoli. Can't do it no matter if, even if you increase my dopamine, I don't like it. So that's I think that's the issue for a lot of women is they don't understand how sex works in the first place. They I haven't been prioritizing good sex in the first place. And then they're like, I really wish I loved shitty sex, and I'm like, you can't. You can't love shitty sex. It doesn't work that way. So work on the sex. And then if you want to want and sex is rewarding, you just want to want it. That's where these medications come in. So I always recommend reading my book, listening to my podcast Understand Sex First. We did not get a good sex education. Understand sex first, understand the medications and option. But what happens when a woman doesn't understand how sex works or their brain works, and you just give her a pill and then guess what, the pill didn't work, shocking. Then she feels like a medication failure and she feels worse. So to me, it's education, education, education, and then try it. It's a very safe drug. To me, I'm like, it's incredibly safe and it helps about sixty percent of people. Cost is the problem, and sex education can go a long way. And dollar for dollar testosterone helps desire as much as Addie does, and it's way cheaper and it also helps with other things. So yeah, Actually, I just had an abstract at a medical conference. I think it was the Sexual Medicine Society in North America last month a month before. I don't know. I didn't go. I've I've been busy doing taking box warnings off of vaginal estrogen. But basically was a comparison between testosterone and Addie and Filisi and like, dollar for dollar testosterone is an excellent bang for your book, but not everybody can access that. And I have nothing wrong with Addie, Like, my only complaint is women don't have sex. Ad That's not ADDIE's fault. ADDIE's an excellent, very safe drug.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you recommend peptide therapy where indicated? What is the best way to find a highly competent doctor offering this any downside to this treatment?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So for people who don't know, peptides are basically pieces of proteins. It's all a peptide is. Peptide is like a very sexy term right now, That's all it means is it's a piece of a protein. Like, let's not give it any more magic than it is. Glp Ones are peptides. Yeah, So like when you say it, when people say peptide therapy, you have to be more specific because there's tons of peptides out there. Most peptide in the peptide land. Glp ones are like the most well known, most well used. But there's a It's not that peptides don't work. I'm not talking glp ones now. Now, I'm talking about like the ones that are not FD approved. It's that the source, the source for them is very challenging, Like how do you know you're getting a safe source? Even more like, say you've got a doctor who's going to give you peptides, how do you know it's sourced well? Like that you've got to do your homework on that, and there is not much research. So it's a lot of like the longevity world, and they'll agree. I'm not picking on the longevity world. I think they'll agree with this. Longevity likes evidence adjacent, not evidence based evidence adjacent. So buyer beware on sourcing on these things, and there's not a lot of data. So to me, I'm like, okay, make this make sense. Women are afraid of their hormone. They're overring naturally makes that has so much data, it's been around for eighty years. But you want to go inject your shit yourself with non ift approved, sketchy source ship that has no research behind it and pay and pay like six times the cost. Like if you care about safety cost and that I mentioned safety h hormones, you're overry naturally makes comes to mind. Yeah, but women don't want that. Women want fast, trendy new It's like, let me, let me tell you about something that's eighty years old. Estrogen in testosterone and.
Speaker 2: Exercise and oh yeah, and exercise.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't just as so, I don't think peptides are bullshit, but we've got serious access problems and we have serious research data problems with them, so dollar for dollar, I'm gonna put my money in other places.
Speaker 2: First, Okay, so is testosterone? Should it be tested at a certain time of day or a certain time of month?
Speaker 3: Does it matter?
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter? The myth was earlier in the day the better. There's a little bit of truth to that, because we tend to make to stoshroone when we're sleeping, but that data is becoming less convincing. So to me, it depends like, are you on testosterone? Do we want to check it right after your dose to see what your peak is? Do we want to check it eight hours after your dose to see what your trough is? Or you're not on testosterone. We just want to get a baseline that check it whenever.
Speaker 2: Okay, for those without a uterus and take progesterone, but wonder if they should be cycling it. If so, can you go long periods without it and then just take it when you feel like you need to balance the excess of estrogen or how does the cycling work.
Speaker 1: If you have excess estrogen? Fix that shit? First? To me, I'm like, there's no there's a little bit of truth to balancing, But a lot of the time. There's no truth to balancing, So that's a little niche of a conversation. But if your post menopause, remember you have no hormones, you're just adding them in. So if your estrogon's too high, then your estrogon's too high. Don't don't put something else on, Like if you've got a meal that's too salty, Like you shouldn't have put the salt in, but now you're trying to put something into like make it less salty, right, Like, no, just don't put that much. Don't put to them.
Speaker 3: Tonight are on fire. I'm loving it, dude.
Speaker 1: Progesterone is awesome. Progesterone is so good for the brain. It's we've got bone data for it. If you're taking estrogen at a minimum, you should be taking progesterone at least two weeks out of the month. Most people postmenopause just take it all the time. It get helps so well with sleep. Like women are like, why would I only take this twice a two weeks out of the month. That's nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: If you're on birth control and don't get a regular period, how do you know when you've hit menopause. I'm in my forties and I'm perimenopause, so start taking estragile patch. It's helped tremendously, But I'm curious about how to know when the next stage comes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: There you go, why does it matter? I guess it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Does it matter? No, You're already on extra dial. That's the thing. That's the thing. And I will encourage you to think about this. Like everything I say is backed up with like data and science and in my book, like you never have to take Kelly's word for it. It's all out there, my friends. It was not born with this knowledge. I got it from somewhere. So menopause means one year with no natural period. That is a thing that happens because of low hormones. Well, you have fluctuating hormones that are sometimes low and perimenopause, right, So it's like it doesn't matter if the treatment is hormones. It doesn't matter if your postmenopause or menopause. It's a made up line in the sand.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that somebody should be asking their physician specifically in a topical cream, like for testosterone anything, Like they have all of the symptoms they want to take. They haven't taken hormones before. But is there any questions that they need to ask about the topical gells?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about disostero?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just so. My advice for testosterone is start low, go slow, like, don't start any more than five milligrams a day, and don't put.
Speaker 3: On half of the tube.
Speaker 1: The body hates what does the body hate? Body hates drastic change? Yeah, body hates that. What happens when the body has grasster change, Your hair falls out, postpartum, thyroid issues, fast weight loss with jlp ones, right, stress, Hair hates all of that. Hair hates drastic change. Go slow, Go slow, start low, go slow. Somebody say, can you clarify what what Kelly said? You have no uterus in your postmenopausal and wake up through the night. Can you be prescribed progesterone in addition to estrogen? Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there we go absolutely even censored.
Speaker 3: She even censored her answer.
Speaker 1: Am I supposed to do that? Do people in Do people in Boulder have sensitive ears? I don't think they do. No.
Speaker 2: I was just wondering what I can post. You said, I kind of post half of this on my Instagram. Gotta find a good clip.
Speaker 1: I don't like calling out specific brands, and I didn't.
Speaker 3: No, you did not.
Speaker 2: My question centers on how we can best separate fact from marketing spin when it comes to all things menopause, we've become the target. So we kind of talked about this, but this is another for all market markets products and supplement companies. Menopause now feels like something of a cure. What absolute truth truths exists currently about health and well being for midlife women.
Speaker 3: I feel like you've covered that with just.
Speaker 1: I feel like we did. There's nothing more natural than what your ovaries naturally make. Yeah, okay, so don't be marketed into thinking something synthetic that we made as a proprietary blend in a factory somewhere is more natural than what your ovaries naturally make. It just is not true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great answer.
Speaker 2: I understand it's common occurrence for there to be an increase in abdominal fat during this transition.
Speaker 1: Why Yeah, Oh that's a good one. I see this. I see this. Okay. Here's here's the uh, here's the analogy. When you're pregnant, all things else being equal, you exercise the same, you eat the same, but now you're pregnant. Okay, picture picture that. Did you gain weight even though you ate the same and exercised the same, Yes, yes you did? Why because your body was doing something else?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So the absolute bullshit of like you just need to eat less and exercise more, you shouldn't be gaining weight, blah blah blah. But your body's doing something different now. It's not making the hormones that it used to make. So here's a here's a nice way. So I want people to think about that, and I want people to think about the pregnancy analogy because now they're like, there's something different in the body, and I'm gaining weight now even though all things else equal, I'm eating the same and I'm exercising the same. Right, And you can even stay the same weight, but your body composition will change. Okay, why called the metabolic syndrome of metapause. Your body is trying to make hormones. The body's smart. The body says, my brain needs this stuff. Everything else needs this stuff. I need to make some now because I don't have overra is that are doing it. So the body has compensatory mechanisms. This is a long This is a longpiel. But if you understand how your body works, how do I not become victim and prey to all this predatory Understand how your body works. There, so body has compensatory mechanisms. It does two things in midlife to try to make hormones. What does it do? It increases your cholesterol because cholesterol pathway is where to stosterone and estrogen come from. So it's like I'll make more cholesterol to try to get some hormones to push through this pathway. Compensatory mechanism meaning it doesn't work that well and there's risks to having too high a cholesterol, but it doesn't Why did my cholesterol go up this year? I didn't change my diet, I didn't change my exercise. My cholesterol just went up because I'm one year more to perimenopause, right, my hormones are going down. Number two second, compensatory mechanism increased visceral fat increased pooch around the belly. Why did your body just start doing that? Because your body's smart, it needs hormones. It's trying to make hormones. Visceral fat makes shitty hormones. It makes the inflammatory type of hormones, it makes the high type of hormones that are linked to breast cancer. The body is smart here. We are beating women up being like you should just eat the same and exercise the same, and this doesn't actually happening. Well, the body's trying to make hormones and it does it in two compensatory ways, and it does it poorly because that's not as good of a way of as just your ovaries making it. So that's the long story of like, visceral fat increase is real, and there's actually a reason why it's happening. Don't let anybody tell you that it is. It Does it happen in everybody? No, But it happens, and it happens for a reason. It's because your Escherton's going down. Yeah, if you understand your body, it all makes sense.
Speaker 3: Hey has thinking on the use of estrogen shifted.
Speaker 2: I was told a year ago that they wouldn't prescribe me estrogen until I lose periods, only put me on progesterone, even though it did little to my big list of symptoms.
Speaker 3: Should I go in again and demand it?
Speaker 2: I have PCOS so not sure, if there's any influence on that decision or not.
Speaker 1: If I can beat this into you understand your body, understand that a period happening. It is a not an accurate thing to see it, to say if you can have hormones or not remember periods, that's that's a made up word called menopause. What's happening. Your ovaries are decreasing their overyproduction of hormones until it's so low you don't get periods anymore. That what's that mean? That means your estrogen can be low before your periods end. The level at which of estrogen that you need to have a period is different than the level of what you need for bone protection, brain to work properly, all that stuff. So using a period is actually somebody who doesn't understand how bodies work. Right. And here's the other thing about it. Here's there's my biggest argument for hormones and perimenopause. Your greatest loss of bone strength, health density, whatever you want to say, is in the two years leading up to your period ending. Millennials are smart. They're paying attention to the boomers and the gen xers, and they're like, hey, we see you guys suffering We've got this great idea, let's not suffer. And the gen X and the boomers are looking at the millennials and they're like, oh, good idea. We thought it was a badge of honor. And the millennials are like, no, this looks shitty. Let's not suffer in the first place. So, yeah, it is changing, would just becoming a lot more common to start on testosterone, progesterone and estrogen in the perimenopause. Remember, menopause is a made up term for a made up thing that doesn't describe what's actually happening, So don't use it as a reason to tell women they can't have health care.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know that taking estrogen helps with bone health. Does that also include the bone in your jaw? I have pretty significant gum reception and my Periodona said it was because of bone loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's not as well studied, but there was just a study on women on hormones had less periodontitis. So inflammation of the gums in which we know, of course, is associated with heart disease. Right, what is estrogen esher is the hormone that helps healthy cells stay healthy. So you take that away, cells can't function as well, and estrogen is anti inflammatory, so you see a lot more inflammation start happening in the body when the hormones go low. Joint aches and pains, osteoarthritis, chronic pain, inflammatory things like rheumatard arthritis, fibromyalgia, gum disease. Right, like, all this inflammatory stuff like this is happening out of the blue. No it's not. You're living longer than your ovarian hormone production. We know why this is happening and we can treat it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, that's how we started this conversation.
Speaker 1: One person said, they're loving our conversation. Goods is the sasses, the sasas is for some people. The sass is in listen, how do you get How do you get adults to learn? Do not bore them. If you bore them, they can't learn. They must stay entertained.
Speaker 3: I told you, Kelly was a good time all the time.
Speaker 1: Do not bor. Do not bore the adults.
Speaker 3: Not bore the adults.
Speaker 2: What are the pros and cons of using an estrogen patch versus taking the pill?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, they're both good. The pill is the bill's dollar for dollar. If all you care about is dollars, the pill is the cheapest way to go. Pill slightly increase risk of blood clot it's not it's not huge, but the transdermal patch is no risk of blood clot, so it's a little bit higher than no risk of blood clot. If you worry about sexual desire, the pill can decrease sexual desire because of the way it's processed through the liver, increasing sex hormone binding globulin. But it gets a little technical, but if you if you meet with a hormone expert, they can walk you through all of that. But know this, the the like bread and butter, intro to hormones is usually a transdermal patch. It's the most common thing, but not everybody absorbs at the same rate. Some people, you know, they've got skin that just doesn't absorb hormones well from a patch. We start thinking of them meeting oral. Some women just need higher doses to hormones and need oral. So is somebody just asked, is the gel as effective as the patch? Yeah, they're pretty interchangeable, and the gel's getting cheaper, so it's it's a reasonable option for people.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we're going into rapid firetime because we have like five minutes where.
Speaker 3: We have to bounce.
Speaker 2: My feet hurt in the morning when I get out of bed and walk. Is this perimenopause related? And what should I do?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. It can be. I mean other things I think of, just like are your hips tight or your knees tight or your ankle's tight? Right, like, are things tight? You need mobility? Blah blah blah. But a lot of people and so doctor vonder Wright published a paper it's open access, meaning it's free online. I think it was twenty twenty four. It's called the Muscoskeletal Syndrome of Menopause, free online. If you want to read it, you can bring it into your doctor. But so many women's aches and pains get better when they are on hormones. So remember, just to simplify that hormones and hormone receptors are in every single cell in your body, including your joints and your ligaments and your tendons. And hormones are anti inflammatory. So many many women, whether it's estrogen or testosterone, because I see it a lot with dysosterone, their pain is a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so we've talked about other benefits. Does HRT help with brain fog and cognitive function. I've been told that it does not adaptogens. In addition, is not relieving the brain.
Speaker 3: Fog at all. I want to know this too, because mine still there.
Speaker 1: Clearly I need Haley, you need more hormones.
Speaker 2: Well, Hewther's on my I will text Heather as soon as I can.
Speaker 1: Can't you get some labs done. Let's see what Haley's estra dial is. Anybody want to take bets If you're on hormones and it's and you don't think it's work, and you can always try a higher dose, you can get your you can get your. I mean I've got some patients they just need higher doses of hormones to function. Yeah, hormones help brand cells.
Speaker 2: What is going to help? So if outside of if this is for testosterone only, outside of low libido, why would somebody want to take it?
Speaker 1: Because your ovaries make it and your ovaries decline making it as you age, and some people really like the idea of having their their cells be as healthy as possible. So in America, there's zero FDA approved products for testosterum for women. We're actively trying to work on that. I literally had a talk with HHS last week, Health and Human Services. It's happening. Once it happens, it'll open up the flood gates on it. So there's a very different thing between this is not rapid fire. Sorry I'm completely failing. There's a very different thing between what's FDA approved and what things actually help with. What do I mean by that? A lot of people take birth control not to not get pregnant. They take it for other reasons off label, right, So when we talk about the benefits of testosterone, we're talking about off label indications. It doesn't mean it doesn't work, It doesn't mean there isn't any data. It just means we don't have an FDA approved indication. Why is that a problem, Well, doctors are We're actually allowed to give drugs for whatever reason we want, right, Like people don't know that, but insurance has decided we're gonna pay for things that are FDA approved. So that's the big problem because a lot of doctors are like, I only I'm only gonna do it is FD approved. Well they do. I guarantee your doctor does non FD approve shit every single fing day. I guarantee you they do. Because you can't practice medicine without doing that. But why it matters is women have a higher cost to care because they've don't have a testosterone that's ft approved. I stop with that now because that's not rapid fire.
Speaker 2: Okay, can a woman with androgenic alopecia take to time estosterone?
Speaker 1: Ah? Is it actually androgenic alopecia? Do you have a diagnosis from a hair specialist dermatologist that's androgenic alopecia? My guess is no, because they don't even call it androgenic alopecia anymore. So it's an old term that doesn't really exist anymore and doesn't actually happen because you have high androgens. So I challenge the diagnosis and then I would individually say what's your risk and benefit? Are you optimized as far as hair? And remember testosterone does do women not have hair when they're thirty two? I'm asking because that's when you have a very that's when you have a very high testosterone, right, So it's not that testosterone causes hair loss. It's rapid change of hormones. So the women who have no testosterone and they get a very high dose of testosterone, their hair falls out, not because of specifically because of the drastic change. Hair hates drastic change hates it. That's why I say start low, go slow with testosterone, and I guarantee you you probably don't have androgenic alopetira unless you're the very very very small amount of people who actually do, and they don't actually call it that anymore anyways. So I always encourage people with any worry for hair loss. Dermatologist who specializes in hair is your best friend. And they're actually they're kind of hard to come by.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Is there a difference between the pill and the cream ESTRADILESU pository?
Speaker 1: Ah, great question. I like them both. It's anything's better than nothing. But I have I call it the Casper sing cream bias. The reason is for two things. Number One, there is nothing cheaper than the cream. Cream is the cheapest vaginal estrogen product, and ideally, if you get your way, you're gonna live forty years beyond your ovarian life span, right, so we need cheap hormonth And then number two, you can put the the cream on your clitterus, on your labia the entrance to the vulva. It's a nice oval the entrance, right. I call it the six o'clock spot. This is on your vestibule or your vulva. This gets tight and thinned. And this is where pain with pen tration comes in a lot. And so if you just put a pill up your vagina so it's up here, it can't help this area. And if you have cream, you can rub it in. So I say rub it in like you're in Texas in August and it's sunscreen and you don't want to get sunburned. It it.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Haley's like, got it?
Speaker 2: Got it balanced? Vertigo issues are they common in Perry?
Speaker 3: And it can be and hormones help, it can help.
Speaker 1: I'm not yeah, not always not. You know everybody. There's there's many inner ear issues people can have, but hormones. You have estrogen receptors in your inner ear.
Speaker 2: So what is the baseline for test for testosterone levels?
Speaker 1: I female testosterone mass spectroscopy. Don't get a male testosterone lab test. It's very inaccurate in levels less than one hundred, and all women's testosterone is less than one hundred. This is the best interview Haley has done that I've listened to, Laurie. How many have you listened to? You gotta give us get sent to dominator.
Speaker 2: Have you heard the first body Pod episode?
Speaker 1: Because this fire, I'm telling you, she says a lot. Okay that it's a valid compliment.
Speaker 3: There were some.
Speaker 1: This is also my first one.
Speaker 3: Kelly's coming back on.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to have a part to you, guys because we are out of time. Side effects for testosterone, last question.
Speaker 1: If you go too high you get side effects of high tsosterone, so start low, go slow. It's very rare at female physiologic doses to have side effects. But side effects may include greasy skin, acne, more more hair where you don't want it. But at female dose it's very rare.
Speaker 2: And how do you know what the female dose is? Because I if you guys were paid attention to my instagram, Like a month ago, I got prescribed from someone local and it said take the whole and I was like, for sure, this is wrong because I'm running out of This is way too much.
Speaker 1: I do crazy things in Boulder. Uh well, I'm allowed to say that. I lived in Denver for six years. They have surgical astrologers in Boulder. It's a weird place.
Speaker 3: So don't overdo it.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't overdo it. Five milligrams transfer on five milligrams a day. Mail dose is fifty milligrams, so five milligrams a day is one tenth the male dose that's in the guidelines. There's International guidelines for testosterone for women for low sexual desire. But I have a whole chapter in my book on testosterone and it's of the three hormones ta stasone, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone is the first one in the book because it's the one we actually make the most of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, my So, my website's Kellycasperson MD dot com. My clinic is the Casperson Clinic. You just go to my website and click on clinic. I see patients in Washington State right now. But I'm getting a California and Oregon license because I want to take care the whole. I five corner. Other online clinics for for hormones or testosterone j O I, Joy excellent, love them, midimid I dot com. MIDI takes insurance, but MIDI doesn't. Middy does less testosterone states than Joy does right now. But here's the good exciting thing. I think we're gonna have a chance. So testosterone is regulated by the DEA because of the Olympic doping scandals of the nineteen eighties. It's a whole thing. It's in the book. But we're actually going to deregulate. We we the people are going to deregulate testosterone. So hopefully you state by state won't be an issue anymore. It'll just be like any other prescription. That's the hope. That's a hope for twenty twenty six. But I explain that all in the book. If you're like, what why is testosterone called?
Speaker 3: Book? Name?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Books called? What is the book called the menopause? Moment Hormones Science, the menopause movement? I know it's a menopause.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have a book there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a whole bunch of way I don't know, a whole bunch of them way over here.
Speaker 2: Hold up, yeah, if you if you were one of the lucky ones that got Kelly's book, I just wrouted myself out and said I haven't had time to read it, so she needs to give me the cliff notes.
Speaker 3: But there it is.
Speaker 1: Oh, somebody put the link. That's so nice. Amazon, Burns and Noble, et cetera, et cetera. And if you like my voice, I do the audio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, that's what you can.
Speaker 1: I promise I'll have you laughing by page sixty three. And if I don't, you need to deal with your stress.
Speaker 2: We've got We had like eighty questions that we never even got to in here. So Kelly, this is by far the most questions that we've had on.
Speaker 1: This bak Well. I mean, listen, humans are incredibly curious about how their bodies were. Like, it's a fascinating topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have to have a part two for Kelly.
Speaker 3: I love you, Haley next season.
Speaker 2: I know where this is. Like, Kelly is like my my girl. So I'm going to whatever conferences she she's at next year.
Speaker 3: Yay, No, all right, Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm an events page. I'm like, I'm not doing what I did this year. This year is crazy. But I will very likely be doing Vonda Wright's conference again. November twenty twenty six, I'm doing a Florida, freaking Florida. I'm doing another Florida conference in November. I might be in Florida twice in November. None of those tickets are up yet.
Speaker 3: What about Colorado?
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: There's something that's penciled in in August, but I haven't committed to it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well text me when you do.
Speaker 1: I'm like moaning. I'm like, h I love Denver.
Speaker 2: I know you do.
Speaker 3: I know you do. All right?
Speaker 1: Oh side note, this is a side note just for Haley. I'll be in Breckenridge for a week in June, but it's not public. That's a family thing. But if Hailey wants to come up to Brecaley and have.
Speaker 2: A couple of coffees at public, now everyone's gonna know.
Speaker 1: I want Haley to come.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you everyone for joining. This was a great way to end. I knew Kelly would be the good closer, So thank you all for joining. For your questions, we tried to get through as many as possible.
Speaker 1: You did great. Those were hard words, Haley, those were hard medical terms. You doing very good.
Speaker 2: I know every time I'm like, I'm going to bring up my readers and then I don't and I'm sitting here.
Speaker 3: I wish you could see the font here.
Speaker 1: You said hypercholesterol emia like, and that's impressive.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: That was stressful. All right? Thanks shred babes. I love you.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: Love you, shred babes.
Speaker 3: All, thanks for joining Kelli, love you bye. Thanks for listening everyone.
Speaker 2: If you enjoyed this episode, please consider giving us a five star rating and sharing the body Pod with your friends