Speaker 1: All right, let's get at draft time Monday afternoon, ten minutes past the hour, at two o'clock. It is a lovely day outside. It's about eighty degrees and sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. About one hundred and seven degrees in the studio. But we traverse on. We are pirates, okay, masonry, and here just swinging the pick in the X mine for the next well not four hours today. We say good night early, don't we. We're gonna say good night about five o'clock tonight, and then we're gonna send it over to ESPN Radio's live coverage of the NBA Draft lottery. It could be one of the biggest days in the history of the Utah Jazz. It could be I believe actually Smith Ryan's wife, of course Smith Entertainment Group. I believe actually will be the jazz rep our buddy Andy Larson boots on the ground from the Salt Lake Tribune. I'm sure we'll get Andy on this week to talk about his experience. Jazz have a fourteen percent chance of grabbing the number one overall pick. They cannot fall past five, Okay, So a lot of analysts believe this is a five player draft, so the Jazz should be able to grab a big time talent no matter where they're drafting. Of course, the prize is Young Cooper Flag from Duke University. Cooper turned eighteen, I believe it was in January or December, so he's still very young. But Dylan Harper, as Bailey, vj Edgecombe, a lot of other names, and we'll talk about them on the show today to get you ready for tonight and help you understand and get to know potentially who these players are. And hopefully Jazz will be able to get a little luck in a way that they have never been able to get luck over the course of their fifty year existence. So big, big day, big night for Jazz fans. We got you covered on the show today. Then of course we'll have the covered live and then obviously the NBA playoffs continue to be phenomenally entertaining. But the big news that broke today is, according to Sham sure aren't you from ESPN to Sante Tocoombo for the first time is open to a trade. Now we'll get into this because topically with the NBA draft lottery today, there's some interesting synergies as far as the position the Jazz find themselves in now, and why nobody this morning that I listened to were watched going over the myriad of trade options for Giannis even uttered the Jazz as an option. Okay, so we'll get into some of that stuff on the show today and talk some NBA basketball and talk some big picture NBA playoff stuff. After the lottery is over tonight, it will be tied for more playoff basketball. This is This might be the biggest game the New York Knicks had played since nineteen ninety nine. And I'm not even kidding. I know it's only the second round, but that's how anemic this organization has been, more or less for about twenty five years. And I'm gonna go out on a limb. Not a hot take guy. You guys know that by now. But I think whoever wins the game tonight wins this series. Okay, we'll get into it. Nick Celtics five point thirty Mountain Time on on ESPN. Of course, the Next still lead that series two to one. After getting smoked at home by Boston, next went up to TD Gard and grabbed a couple, then lost at MSG. Talked about this yesterday. Boston is historically good on the road. They're actually much better on the road than at home this year. I still am very skeptical of the nex ability to get to a couple of more games against this team unless injuries happen and then interesting game. Minnesota leads the Warriors two to one now and Golden State they've just got to get one more and give Steph a little more time for him to come back. So two really big games in pro basketball tonight. Fun week. Last week if you are a fan of the Utah Mammoth, the NHL team we have in our market where we could go. We found out that the Utah Mammoth will be picking fourth in the NHL draft. They moved up ten spots, so the Jazz will try to duplicate that luck tonight. And then we have the official name change from the Utah Hockey Club to the Utah Mammoth. Stanley Cup playoffs rolling along, I believe I read today almost half of the games have been decided by only one goal, a lot of late game heroics and such. So we'll do a little NHL on the program today. Some NFL offseason stuff, looks like the Bengals and Trey Hendrickson have cut off contract talks, which is wild to me. Trey has more sacks than any player in the NFL of the past couple of years. So some NFL offseason's Rookie MIDI camp. We saw Caleb Lohner for the first time in a Denver Bronco jersey and should Her Sanders is throwing in Cleveland. So a lot of the rookies are getting their feet wet learning what it's like to be a professional football player. RSL with a draw over the weekend. Another wonder strike from Diego Luna who now has seven goals through twelve games. And that kid is just his star is shining. It was another great goals with his left foot off the post and went into the back of the net. RSL with another red card our guy Willy Goles shout out Williegata red card for Willie so he'll be out on Wednesday against Portland. So well, do a little soccer on the show today as well. We are jam packed, going to be back on air after taking Friday off. Was down south playing little golf in Saint George. Beautiful time down there as always. Maybe we'll do a little story time later for board but we're jam packed. First guest today will be Kurt Schmidt, the technical director for Real Salt Lake. Kurt's take on the current form of the club and his hopes for the rest of the way, and maybe a little peek into the summer transfer window. The next time RSL is able to add talent to the group, it'll bring in Tom Haberstrow today NBA Daily Assists style. We'll do some draft lottery, we'll do some jazz, we'll get ready for the game tonight and talk about this news that Giannis might be on the move. Good friend of the show, Tony Parks, the voice of the Salt Lake Bees, will join us in the studio. We'll do a lot of jazz, a lot of lottery with Tony. So we'll get to a bunch of stuff with Tony on the program today, and then we will say goodnight at five o'clock straight up and send you live to ESPN's coverage of the Draft lottery. So Kurt Schmidt, Tom Haberstrow, Tony Parks, Me Spence Check, it's all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson on a Monday. Happy Monday, buddy, how was your weekend? It was swell. How was yours? It was good at desert in the desert, we had nice weather. Three straight days of golf. Noise, they'll tread off the tires the lower back. You know, that's what happens when you get older. But did you play fifty four holes of golf? Is that three rounds?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, three straight days, so fifty four total holes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one one more and we'll get that score up there. We'll see, we'll see how close you are to can contend for a major.
Speaker 1: I'm not close to contending for a major. I did break eighty a copper Rock though, that felt good. I shot a seventy eight. That felt okay.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a that's a legitimately good score, regardless kind of the like an easy course. If you're still shooting, you know, lower single digits, that's a that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Mess job. Michael Jordan hired as a commentator on NBC Once upon a time, A, uh, didn't you caddy for him or something? And I remember in that correct.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a few kind of random connections, right My my dad did electrical for him for a moment, and then yeah, I ended up with the connections at a at a golf course and worked with him. I was a member services coordinator at one point, so I literally was sometimes taking Michael Jordan to his tea box and sometimes whiskey and cigars to them as well. And I'll be honest with you, I'm super surprised that guy likes his retirement. Even when he was like gainfully employed with the Hornets thing.
Speaker 1: He is never around, eh.
Speaker 3: Like I think I told you this story on air before the the off season where they had like the most cap room ever and they just signed Nick Patum.
Speaker 1: He was golfing the whole week. I watched him.
Speaker 3: I was there, and like, if you're mj you have an opportunity with your like your person to have an effect on those types of situations, and he just didn't.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 3: The most that I've seen him like put into something in his retirement is NASCAR. He has two NASCAR teams that he's like pretty involved in, and this is a difference there.
Speaker 1: The media thing is is certainly new.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be interested in it because, like you, I just don't know how much he's gonna put into it and how interested he might be. But that might be a really fun Michael Jordan to get on a mic for a few for a few shows, Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: And if you need a little liquid courage because I think he's yes, I think is it tequila with him?
Speaker 3: Or is it wis it's tequila rum whiskey it I don't know. It depends on which crew he's with, because there's like a it looks like a a crew like overtakes the golf course when you're with MJ. Because you don't have two people to a to a cart. They all have their own and they all just kind of drive wherever they want. It's kind of fun to see because they did play like eight people on a hole at the same time, and it's kind of a party out there.
Speaker 1: It's good to be Michael Jordan. Do you remember when randomly Karl Malone just started showing up around the Jazz was like, I should be an assistant coach here. Yeah, and Randy Rigby, bless his heart, sweetest man in the world. Is that sure? Why wouldn't we want Carl involved? And I remember when I heard the announcement, I'm like, that won't last. Like being a coach is hard, it's hard work. To be a coach in the NBA. I don't care who you are. And after two weeks Carl was like, yeah, you know what, I kind of like hunting in my freedom. Best of luck. Derek Favors and his canter Rudy go like, I'm not doing this. Part of me feels like MJ's gonna realize what it's like to have to show up on time and not have the freedom that he typically has, and I don't. I'm not sure that'll last.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: That's kind of where I'm at. I'm excited for it. I think it'll be cool, it'll be fun, it'll be entertaining. But I do wonder if it's long standing, if it's kind of this one off thing, because yeah, like you have, I've noticed Mike likes his free time his retirement.
Speaker 1: Yes he does. All right, We're bringing Kurt Schmid today right out of the gates, but on a Monday afternoon. Before we get to Kirk, courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one Sports Talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the the drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Cash in on the Basketball Playoffs with Prize Picks. Don't miss your last chance to have your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup. Whether it's points, rebounds, or assists, take your pick and more or less for a shot to win up to two thousand times your cash. Today you can turn your playoff five takes and too tickets to Basketball's championship series starting with the play in round. Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one a VIP trip to the ship. So here's what you do. Download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and when you play that first five dollars lineup, they're just gonna hook you up with fifty bucks. So download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred the hook you up with fifty bucks. I'm going more on Peyton Pritchard nine point five points tonight. That feels like easy money. I'm going more on Jimmy Butler one point five, three point shots made. I'm gonna go less on Carl Anthony Towns nineteen point five points, and give me more on Jalen Bronson twenty seven point five points. I think Jalen's gonna have a big game tonight. Prize picks, run your game all right? Coming up in let's see less than three hours. About two hours and forty minutes in change is tonight's NBA Draft lottery. Now, what you don't want to be is a fan of a team where this is the most exciting night on your calendar. You don't want to have that as part of your reality if you're a fan of a pro basketball team. But that's where we're at with the Utah Jazz. It is a big, big night because it really could shape the future and change your trajectory. That the Jazz are on right now for a few different reasons. The most obvious reason this Cooper flag is awesome and very young and built as a modern day cornerstone type player with great size and multiple positions, can guard a bunch of different positions, can put it on the floor he is already a capable outside shooter. He finishes with force at the rim, and he's a really really good defensive player both at the rim and on the perimeter where you can switch and have a bunch of differ actions Like simply getting Cooper flag would be a massive, massive thing for this organization. But today is interesting to discuss what tonight could mean. Okay, so if you missed it about I don't know, two or three hours ago, sham Charti comes out of his tweet that Giannis Ante de Combo is now open to being traded from the Milwaukee Bucks to a new team. Reminds me a little bit of Kevin Garnett. For you older NBA fans, KG, the big ticket back in the day, gave Minnesota about a decade and change of his career and was awesome for them, and they never were able to build a team around him that was championship worthy. They had one really good team that went to the Western Conference Finals when they made some moves to grab Sam Cassell and Latrell Spreewell former Nick Whether he was in Minnesota with KG, and they went to the conference finals. But that was as close as KG got to the trophy in Minnesota. So after a decade, he's like, look, I'm getting older. I gave you ten great years and I want to go try to win a championship, so I would like you to trade me to An. And that's when Danny ahe pulled off one of the great trades of that era, grabbing Kevin Garnett in Boston a pair with Paul Pierce, and then they made the deal with grab Ray Allen and that was a really, really good Celtic team that won a championship and made kg an NBA champ. Right. So yeah, the difference here is Giannis has won a championship in Milwaukee, but after that twenty twenty one championship season, they have one playoff win, They've won one series since their trophy, and they've lost in the first round for three straight years now. Mark Lazari is a very well respected owner that appears to be a very decent man and kind of unlike the Denver Nuggets, who I still think when Nikola Jokich's career is over, I think we're gonna have a real conversation about whether or not Denver did enough to surround Jokic for a long enough period of time to see exactly what he could be as the cornerstone of a team with really good teammates. Remember, Nicola Jokic is still not played with another All Star in Denver. Yet they are still in the playoffs. They're tied to too with Oklahoma City. I don't think they're gonna win the series, but a couple of years removed from winning a championship. It's the brilliance of Jokich, but Denver, to me, has done him a big time to service. Milwaukee did not do that with Yannis. Once they realized they needed to change something to probably give themselves the best chance of holding on to Giannis, they went and they made a big time trade and paid a lot of money and are on the hook for a lot of money for our local legend, Damian Lillard, who unfortunately will probably miss all of the next season. And if he comes back, will he look the same? You know at that age in Achilles is just a tough thing. So so I understand this dynamic with Giannis, especially if Dame's on the sideline, like you just don't have a chance and Milwaukee does not have a lot of draft capital. The next trade that they can or achise me. The next pick that they can trade, they can trade one of their twenty thirty one or their twenty thirty two first rounders. So the next pick they can trade is in six in seven years. You cannot trade consecutive first round picks. That's why they could only choose one or the other. But they don't have a lot to improve their team with. So the reason I bring it up through the paradigm and the prism of Okay Tonight's draft lottery. Ultimately, after I saw the tweet from Shams, I went and listened to some serious XMMBA radio guys. I turned on some of the daily ESPN and Fox NBA shows, and ultimately I feel like almost every team was mentioned that is in this space of having a compendium, shout out trade of assets, picks, the salary cap space like Brooklyn was brought up over and over and over, and nobody brought up the Jazz Okay. So and here's why, it's actually pretty simple all these other teams. So the other interesting dynamic here is the front runner, according to what you know Bobby Marks was talking about today. He believes it's Oklahoma City, Okay. So the other thing that's being brought up here. Where the Jazz should at least have a mention is we're not hearing Miami. We're not hearing New York. We're not hearing Los Angeles. We're hearing Oklahoma City, smaller market than the Jazz, smaller market in Salt Lake. We're hearing San Antonio. I always remind everybody San Antonio is actually a smaller market, and I don't mean to disparage these other cities. And maybe I can get a little defensive because I've lived in Salt Lake for over twenty years now, and I understand the oddities of our market and the dynamic that makes this kind of an interesting place for certain people to try to exist. It's saw Lake is so much better in San Antonio. It's so much better in Oklahoma City, places I've been multiple times. And so ultimately, what this comes down to is Milwaukee is probably not going to be in a space where they just want to go all in and then rebuild. They're probably looking for a trade partner like Oklahoma City, who actually has more draft assets than the Jazz. But here's the roup. Okay, here's where the Jazz have failed Oklahoma City throughout their rebuild. They have stockpiled good young players. So if you're Milwaukee and Sam Presty calls you about Yannis, you can say, okay, I want five unprotected picks, right, three to five, you know, three picks, two swaps. It's probably gonna take like Brooklyn traded mckel bridges for five picks. Janis obviously is twice the player mckel Bridges is, all due respect, it's probably gonna take five picks. And then they're probably going to say, okay, and we got to talk about Jaalen Williams. Sam will say Sga is untouchable, right, but he can you know, Sam can throw in a Jalen Williams maybe even you look at Chet right, you do that because Jannis is thirty years old. He takes incredible care of his body. You do trade a Jalen Williams or a chet Holme Grin and five unprotected first for five years of Shay and Giannis. You do that. Okay, So the Jazz have the draft assets, but who are you really gonna If you're Milwaukee and you can talk to San Antono, who has a lot of really good, exciting young players, you can talk to Oklahoma City who has a lot of good, really exciting young players. Who are you going to ask for from the Jazz outside of marketing? And I love Lowry, but that's not enough to get it done. Jalen Williams is a better player than Larry Marketing in my opinion. So while the Jazz have all of these assets and clean books, they just don't have tangible pieces. They don't have good young players, like nobody knows who Keyante is and I think Isaiah's got a little something. But that's what makes tonight interesting, and that's what makes tonight massive if you're a jazz fan, because what could change everything right away is the Jazz getting the number one overall pick. Because when you have good young players, other players want to come play for you. Right now, there's nobody that is attracting anybody that's on the Jazz roster. So that's what makes tonight really really big. We're about two and a half hours away coming off and draw another goal from Diego, technical director for the local soccer club. Here for Raal salt Lake. I always funny. Catch up Schmid Kurt, happy money buddy. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? Buddy, I'm good right out of the gates. Is Diego better already than you ever thought he could be? Like when you first saw him play and started to scout him, Is he has he even superseded your expectations for him?
Speaker 6: You know, that's a good question. He's definitely better now than I thought he would be part of the first time I saw him play, but as we scouted him more in USL and for me, the moment where it really clicked was actually down in Argentina that he was at a U twenty camp and I was down there scouting some games and one of them was the U twenty's playing River Plate Reserves, and so he came off the bench in that game, and they didn't really bring a lot of strikers, so I think they only had one nine in the group, and so the nine started and then they brought Diego on at the nine and he he just the whole game. And obviously it was the reserves at River, so it wasn't maybe the most elite level at the moment, but it's still a pretty good level for that age group. And uh, and watching him sort of change the game in that environment just gave me a.
Speaker 2: Real glimpse of what he could do.
Speaker 6: It's given the chance and given the right platform, and honestly, you know, he's he's obviously continuing to fill that. I don't want to say he's done. I think he's continuing to grow. You know, you see it every week. But that was the moment for me. And you know, I got some some really good feedback on him from from from my friend of mine who's actually his coach and opastor at the time, who you know, couldn't couldn't speak more highly of him as a person, as a character, and thought that he you know, he was someone that really had to drive to succeed. And I put a lot of trust in that as well, So you know, that was sort of the story there.
Speaker 1: Are you aware that there is a very famous Mexican actor and director named Diego Luna. I just did a little Google search and I just learned that today. Are you aware of that?
Speaker 2: I am aware.
Speaker 6: I had to approve Diego's the meeting of the two Diegos a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, We'll learned something new every day. Let me follow up. And you referenced when you were first scouting him that the club he was with did bring him on as a nine, and more often than not, at least from my prism, he has been asked by you guys to be more of a distributor and more of a creative player. And you just look at his stats over the years, more assists. You know, it's not like he hasn't been scoring goals, but he's scoring goals at such a high level. Did you know he had this type of goal scoring prowess because for me, it's always been more of like a central attacking midfielder that provides service to the strikers up top.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, that's sort of the wrap for an attacking midfielders. There'supposed to be more provider than goals for But when he first started in Alpasso as a very young player, he was playing like a left sided forward essentially, not really a a ten, not really a nine, but he would come off the left where you know, he actually played a lot of time for us as well, and just create a lot of danger, be very goal oriented and so you know, I think that was part of his appeal in USL, part of the things, you know, one of the things that drew people and drew us to him. Was his ability to be productive in front of goal. And I think you know, the question is always, okay, player is productive at a lower level, can he be productive at a higher level, And that's the big question mark. And obviously if if he doesn't score goals at the lower level, then the odds of him scoring goals at our level are not very high. But even players that do score, let's say in the USL, don't always translate. And so we knew we had that potential in him, and I think honestly, the first year and a half or so with us, it was actually about getting him to be more comfortable being that goal oriented. And I know Pavel's talked a lot about getting him to work on the defensive side, and I think that was also a big part of it. But on the on the attacking side, it wasn't just about getting your touches.
Speaker 2: On the ball.
Speaker 6: You know, if him if he's receiving passes, cybrid passes from center backs like that wasn't something that we were interested in or that he should be interested in.
Speaker 2: It was it was about being decisive.
Speaker 6: In the final third and getting him to to add those counting stats to his to his lineman. So he's he's obviously done that a lot last year and then so far for us this year. But yeah, that's one of the things that truth to him.
Speaker 1: Honestly twenty one excuse me, twenty one years old, so of course, uh, he is not close to a finished product, what if anything? And you know, there's part of this current that kind of reminds me of a conversation that people used to have about Nicki Rimando, where you know, if Nick was six three six', four probably A european, keeper, right probably a guy that could have played in a number of leagues and maybe the biggest of. Leagues And diego suddenly is not going to change his body. Composition he's not going to Become Anderson Julio. Fast, so, LIKE i guess that's just some context BEFORE i ask, you what do you think Think diego needs to improve? Upon should he have these aspirations of playing in some of the bigger leagues In?
Speaker 6: Europe, YEAH i don't think it's about adding you, know a whole lot of different things to his game than what you see from him right. Now it's really about being more consistent and the having consistent quality to his decision making the final third and his actions in the final third, Especially but you, know as once you show you can do these, things you, know for for a young, player the real challenge and one of the reasons people you just like quote experienced players more is because those players have learned how to be, consistent how to kind of perform at a consistent level on a consistent. Basis and so that's that's.
Speaker 2: Really what it is for.
Speaker 6: Him and so as he's building, on you, know his statistical, seasons it's it's just about being, consistent you, know from from season to, season from game to, game from play to play within the, game and being switched on all the time and just you, know being a guy that people can rely. On, so you, KNOW i think he's showing that now for. Sure but it isn't about adding a whole lot of different. THINGS i think he's shown the player he is and the things he can, do and it's just about continuing to do them over and over.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Again i'll bring out the fact that he's twenty, one just because it feels like you guys are asking him to just shoulder a big. Load and you, know, Tonight kurt is THE Nba draft, Lottery so we were doing SOME nba earlier And joannest wants out Of, milwaukee and you, know kind of a conversation about teams relying heavily on one individual talent and then it's the job of people like you whose decisions are intertwined into constructing the roster to make sure the talent is. Supported, Right, so do you feel like he has enough around him or do you feel like you guys are asking him to do a.
Speaker 6: Lot you, know asking him to do a Lot at the, MOMENT i think he's picking up some. Slack whether we're you, know explicitly saying, hey you got to do this or else or anything like, THAT i don't, know but he. Is he is picking up a lot of slack right, now which is great for us and it's great for him and his. DEVELOPMENT i think we can continue to build pieces around. HIM i think he's got some good pieces around, him you, know but.
Speaker 2: We can continue to add those pieces that.
Speaker 6: Can that can highlight him a little, bit that can.
Speaker 2: Push him and that can contribute to. Success.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely all.
Speaker 1: Right so last year summer transfer, window you guys brought in a number of pieces AND i can remember talking to both you And pablo And JASON toni everybody about the decision to bring In, diogo who on your roster is the only designated, Player and there were moments last year where you could see the, quality but it felt like the walking line Was diego needs a preseason With pablo and with this staff so he can acclimate to what we're asking him to, do so he can acclimate to playing at, altitude so he can acclimate to playing In major league. Soccer at what, Point, kurt do we kind of look at this entire situation and, wonder you, know whether or not he is going to get this? Right and maybe there are Things i'm not. Seeing and, again there are moments, Right and that's WHY i don't want to BE i approach this job is more observation and not conclusion or dismiss ER. ANOI i, mean this is a, long long. Season it's a it's a season that is a, marathon as we talked about. Before but at what point do we kind of look at the thing and wonder or not if maybe the evaluation was? Off is that?
Speaker 2: Fair?
Speaker 6: Look players all adapt at different, rates And i'm not someone who thinks preseason is a magical period of time where where everyone can can discover their form and become the player that they, want that they that we want them to. BE i think it's really just about time with a, coach time with your, teammates and time in a. League and you, know more time equals more, adaptation which equals more comfort and confidence and should equal higher quality. Play and different players need different amounts of. Time some players can hit the ground, running you, know as In, seattle we Signed Nicolas ladero and he hit the ground running day one and and didn't need any time to adapt to his teammates or in the league and became an difference. Maker and you know there's some players that need six or twelve months to adapt and maybe their second year that's when they really blossom and. Bloom you. Know so you look At diodo AND i think he brings a lot of quality to the. Team he's working, DEFENSIVELY i, KNOW i know within What pablo's asking and and he's adds a lot of quality on the ball and the build up when he's on the, ball his decisions are generally, better his technical ability is. Good he's getting himself in really good. SPOTS i was actually talking to someone about this, today you, know in terms of some of his statistics underlying, numbers and you, know he's getting into into spots where he's creating, chances you, know with expected assist or he's he's you, know getting chances of himself with expected goals and and right now he's underperforming those, numbers you, know and that's that's an objective analysis at this, point right those those two specific numbers, especially he's he's underperforming them. Now AND i think the expectation that he would have for himself and that we have for him is that he at least you, know that's you, know gets that part.
Speaker 2: Right and scores and assists what what can.
Speaker 6: Be expected based on on the quality chances he's getting and setting up for, others and those expected assess is kind of a weird one because you, know he plays a great. BALL i think HE'S i think he's gonna play the ball Into willie will he doesn't, Shoot, okay there's.
Speaker 2: No expected assist. There so it's a little tough one, too because you can't do both ends of, it you.
Speaker 6: KNOW i think there are some moments where he'll demand more of himself and will demand more of, Him and you, know we're always evaluating everyone and they're fit within the team and how they're helping us and and that type of pressure is no different to him or anyone else on that on that. Team but, YEAH i think the expectation is that he he meets those expectations from the standpoint of of those you, know expectables expected to AND i think he's he's adding the defensive work rate That pabo's looking. For if he's, not you, Know pabo's holding him accountable to. That and so that's that part's been really. Positive he's been bought. In he just needs to execute in those final.
Speaker 1: Moments good breakdown, there same question About dom About Don Mark. Zuke, NOW i understand That dom has some personal challenges right, now AND i always try to be. Fair these are humans that have families and they have issues like everybody. Else SO i don't know if you can provide any color and context to. That if if, so feel. Free BUT i kind of feel the same way About dom THAT i feel About, diogo where there are times where he'll play in across or he'll you, know he'll he'll score a goal or a provide service and you're, like, wow, man HE i can see in him what you guys saw in him to bring him. Over but it's kind of the same Thing, kurt isn't. It we just need a little more. Consistency so what's the analysis on the performance of Don Mark sukes so?
Speaker 6: Far, YEAH i MEAN i think you you you actually gave a very good anount else to spend.
Speaker 1: Great soccer guy over.
Speaker 2: Here he gets in good.
Speaker 6: Spots the qualities his decision making in the final third going forward IS i think very, Good but the consistency of his his execution on that decision making is not always. THERE i think you can see the types of balls that he. PLAYS i think no one else on the team can actually.
Speaker 2: Hit you, know the.
Speaker 6: Ball he played into Pay suits for the goal that got called back In. Nashville that was a phenomenal, pass, Right and he's done that multiple times for us in games and. Training we see that all the, time and that that quality and that decision making is.
Speaker 2: There the, consistency like we.
Speaker 6: Said For diegol, right, like that's the piece that the needs to be added to the. Game and so we need to get. Him he needs to find a way to get himself into those high leverage spots more often so that we can utilize the quality of decision, making you, know but you look at it right, now and competition is good when we want, competition, right and So gozos come in and give us some really really good shifts and so you, know credit to him for taking his. Opportunity AND i think while you're while you're doing, well you're you, know no one's gonna gonna sit you, down, Right so now it's About dom saying to him the, hell, Hey i'm you, KNOW i want to get back out there Right and we've seen that with with other players In. Alaska train has had to deal with something similar this year as. Well so competition is good and we're looking to push those.
Speaker 2: Guys but you, Know.
Speaker 6: Dom's a guy that has a lot of quality obviously as recently AS i think the last international window was in was in the full national team With.
Speaker 2: Poland so you, KNOW i think.
Speaker 6: There's there's there's a lot of potential and quality there and we're just helping them get get it.
Speaker 1: Out, So, kurt you LEAD mls in red. Cards my guy.
Speaker 6: Getting started on this.
Speaker 1: One, WELL i, mean look LIKE i watch all the games AND i think there have been some well one one red card was actually rescinded because it was so. Pathetic but there are a couple of. Others the one THAT i think it Was pole Against dallas here was beyond. Dumb so what what what's there to say about just simply that. DYNAMIC i, mean on, paper if people aren't watching and they see that you lead mls and red, cards it's, like, well are they? Undisciplined but if you're, watching you've also been hard. Done so WHEN i say to, You Kurt, schmidt your team leads mls and red, cards what is your?
Speaker 6: Response, YEAH i mean we've got four red. CARDS i THINK i think you know one of them is you, know we obviously didn't appeal and. It you, know we can see why that's a red. CARD i don't think it was. MALICIOUS i think it was a little while it was awkward and poorly, timed but went into it recklessly and, okay no. Problem you know.
Speaker 2: Another one that.
Speaker 6: Rescinded the third was a second yellow for time, wasting And i'm nearly positive the referee forgot that he had just given body. Yellow and then this, one which you, Know I'm i'm doing a lot of research on this one to to throw some data at the at the league about you, know, what what's going on in this, situation BECAUSE i think you see this type of moment happen multiple times a game and certainly moult times a weekend across the league with with no action. Taken AND i understand, that you, know it's a higher leverage moment and you're looking for a, penalty and that maybe makes the referee think it's worthy of of a yellow. Card but you, know as you look at the replay multiple, times it's really hard for me to say that he, definitely without a, shadow that was not.
Speaker 2: Touched AND i think.
Speaker 6: It's REALLY i was gonna say, harsh but maybe that's not even a strong enough, word like it's kind of insane to make a game changing, decision you, know based on, that in my, opinion like a second yellow for a dive where the, video you, know slow motion replay doesn't even clearly indicate that the guy wasn't, touched and you, KNOW I i think he was. Touched he thinks he has, touched and you, know maybe he could have stayed up or should have stayed. Up but sometimes, referees you, know don't give you a foul if you get fouled and you stay, up and so you've got you, know you've got players in these two minds of, well you, know IF i stay, up MAYBE i get a shot off then BUT i don't get the foul and it could be a, penalty and MAYBE i missed the, shot and like you, know he's doing all this calculation in his head at light speed right in the in the moment and has to make a split second. Decision so it's Really i'm really disappointed IN i think some of the refereeing decisions that have gone our. Away and you know that doesn't even take into account the red card that sort of been given Against. Love it's uh in In. NASHVILLE i think, that you, know even apart From willie's second, YELLOW i think there were SOME i think the yellow card distribution in this game was wasn't quite. Equitable so, YEAH i don't tell. YOU i think there's an element of discipline to THE i don't think that number FOR.
Speaker 2: Us shows a, gross.
Speaker 6: You, know indiscipline. EPIDEMIC i THINK i think the two you know again, AGAIN i think the last three that we've, gotten you, know one was obviously.
Speaker 2: Rescinded in the two second.
Speaker 6: YELLOWS i think we're, incredibly incredibly. Harsh and so while we can always AND i hope AND i want the team and the players that is to look within and think, well what COULD i have done to have prevented this this situation from happening to? It SO i think there are things that we can do to affect, it and we should take that. RESPONSIBILITY i know those players, do but you, know me looking at it from my, SEAT i think gets incredibly harsh by the officials in all those situations and couldn't have been given as.
Speaker 1: Is so of Course willie will Miss wednesday's tilt against Poor. Land Johnny russell available for selection Against. Dallas so let's move into the space of the two new, acquisitions what you've seen in training and, again unfortunately we will not See willy On, wednesday but is there a chance we'll See. Johnny, yeah he's on the.
Speaker 6: Bench there's a, chance AND i think if publicly is the right moment to get him in there and to add some quality and make a difference in the, game he'll do. That you, KNOW i know, obviously you know down a man in that situation In dallas probably wasn't the right moment to digue him into. That so we'll see if the moment presents itself On. Wednesday BUT i, think you, Know johnny brings obviously a lot of experience to the, group experience not just in the games but also in, training which you know will take time obviously to see within the group in the, games but helps us a ton as. Well and you, know he obviously also makes a lot of good decisions and has a lot of quality on the ball in those right, moments and so if we see time to use those, qualities we.
Speaker 1: Will all, right last, thing give me a little glimpse into Who portland. Is they're having a good. Year they're third in The west or six three and three twenty two goals, score so they've got something cooking up. There as your opponent on On. Wednesday tell me about, them curve forre set you.
Speaker 6: Loose they are a very, attacking you, know oriented. Team they obviously last season and returned all these, guys but they they scored a lot of. Goals you know. THAT i think it was three guys and or three four guys in double, digits which was or was above a certain, number and that was the record or first time that happened in The, League SO i think there's still that team they want to. Be they want to play, quick they want to get, forward they want they've always been a bit of a transition, team you, know and willing to get out on the. Break so that's what we might see a little bit. OF i think they are going to put. Forward they do have a lot of quality in the. Attack you, know you didn't you mention how many goals they, scored but not how many goals they've. CONCEDED i think they've also been a little bit stucceptible in the back of. Times that's hopefully something we can take advantage. Of they've given up you, know, nineteen they score twenty, two they've given up nine, team so it's something that we will try and take advantage of them on that side of the wall as.
Speaker 1: Well All, right, buddy good stuff, Today appreciate the time and best of luck On. Wednesday moving. Forward, okay all, right sounds?
Speaker 6: Good all.
Speaker 1: Right Kurch, schmitt technical director For Real Salt, lake stops by today courtesy of our friends AT Ifa Country. Stores any drive to the basket begins with the first, step but on the, court that's the ultimate power. MOVE Ifa step One Crabgrass preventor and their lawn food is the first choice to give your yard the, healthy thick green look you. Desire the neighbors will be green with envy shop if online AT ifa dot co op or stop by one of their Eighteen utah. Locations today two hours, away almost exactly two hours away from THE Nba Draft, lottery which we will have live on our radio. Station We'll saga night at five. O'clock we'll throw it over to live coverage OF Espn radio taking you through THE Nba Draft. Lottery what a day to Have Tom haberstrow on this little radio. Program, Tom HAPPY Nba Draft Lottery? Monday how we?
Speaker 2: You And? Bud Happy Flag?
Speaker 1: Day so sorry say that? Again happy Way Flag? Day Flag?
Speaker 2: Day?
Speaker 1: Okay. Yes in addition to, that, yes capture the flag and that's what we're all hoping we can do here In Salt Lake. City, Tom so let's not bury the. Lead if The jazz get won, tonight what does that mean both in the interim and then for the future of this.
Speaker 4: Organization, well it'd be the biggest moment in jazz franchise history since making THE Nba. Finals you get a guy like that on your, team that's a building block that twenty nine other teams would just about trade any of their players. FOR i, mean there's a short list of maybe five players that A gm would not trade their guy for the chance to Have Cooper flag on their team under a rookie scale contract over the next seven or so. Years it's not just about the, talent it's about the, leadership and it's about the contract that you get this. Guy in the NEW, cba it's becoming really hard to build super. Teams but if you get a guy Like, wemby and if you get a guy Like Cooper, flag there's a window in which their contract is super super at a. Discount you basically get him at thirty cents on the. Dollar and so For, flag who's eighteen years old or nineteen years, old next season is going to look like a lot older than his age. Suggests AND i think The Utah jazz and whoever whichever team Lands Cooper flag WOULD i think in year two or three be a playoff. Team and by the end of that four year, contract if he's, healthy the rookie scale contract at the end of, IT i think you have a real chance of being a title. Contender if you make the right moves around. Him victor Webber, niama of, course is entering his third year in THE, nba AND i think you can say that he is the best prospect Since, lebron if not better.
Speaker 2: Prospect But Cooper flag isn't too far.
Speaker 4: Behind and The Utah jazz have a really strong leadership in place OWNER gm coach that obviously we saw last, Week Will hardy was extended for the foreseeable. Future AND i think when you Have Lowry markinhaim And Walker kessler And Cooper flag on the same, team you're not that far away from a playoff. Team AND i think it would be a, huge a huge turn of events for A Utah jazz team that has been really you, know struggling over the last couple of years to put a really competitive product out on the. Floor but the fan base is hungry for. It they've supported the team and it would be a great story for THE nba if The jazz Got Cooper.
Speaker 1: Flag all, Right so here's my follow up, Today, tom Because i've talked to you, Know i've got a lot of buddies out here that love The, jazz a lot of jazz fans in our market that miss spring basketball and miss Competitive jazz basketball and what we're hearing around. Here and, look this is not like breaking, news but The jazz are going to do everything they can to try to get to one even if they. Fall and that's a very easy thing to say out, Loud but to your, point when you have a generational option Like cooper, flag like let's Say charlotte gets number, one Or washington or, whoever or The, pelicans do you think there's any chance that if The jazz don't get one, there and let's say The jazz fall the two or three or, whatever is there a chance that ANOTHER gm would be willing to listen to offers for one from The jazz if The jazz don't land one.
Speaker 4: Themselves, YEAH i think there is a chance that ANOTHER gm would be open to offers at number. One but the problem is that the drop off from one to two to three is so steep that unless you have the number two pick to, OFFER i just don't see another team even considering trading out Of Cooper flah because there is no clear number three prospect in this, draft And Dylan harper is as good as a candidate for number two as anybody in this in this draft.
Speaker 6: CLASS i just think.
Speaker 4: That if there was a two.
Speaker 2: Person or a tea a two.
Speaker 4: Two person draft where it was like It's Cooper flag And, wemby like either way you're gonna get a generational, player then you would see a team that would open be open to direct trading out at number, one but not in this. One it would have.
Speaker 2: To be a crazy.
Speaker 4: Offer of those teams that have a legit shot at being number, two you're Talking, Charlotte you're talking The Washington.
Speaker 2: WIZARDS i just don't.
Speaker 4: Think that they would have enough of a reason to move off Of Cooper, flag especially because you don't want to be THE gm that Trades Cooper. Flag you, know we we remember The Chris weber draft at number, one The Anthony Bennett bennett Draft Andrew. Wiggins we've Seen Andrew wiggins be traded on that draft pick on that draft night or essentially before the season For Kevin, love and The cavs made a good trade to trade out Of Andrew wiggins to Get Kevin love and Support Lebron. JAMES i just think if you trade out a number one With Cooper, flag you got to trade him out for an All star caliber, player and Right, now The jazz could convince maybe the incoming team That Lowry marketen is an All star caliber, Player BUT i just don't think that they would have ENOUGH ammo for one of those rebuilding teams to be. CONVINCED i, MEAN i guess you could put in draft Picks Walker kessler And Lowry markinen to move up into number, one but that seems like a very steep, price and, honestly it would take something like that in order for another team to seriously consider.
Speaker 2: It Because Cooper.
Speaker 4: Flag again at the, Top he's not just checking off all the boxes from a talent and leadership, standpoint it's that you get him under control for the next you, know seven eight. Years, uh and that's that's that's. Huge SO i JUST i DON'T i don't see it happening a team trading out At Cooper. Flag barring some crazy it's some crazy. TRADE i just don't Think utah has it up their.
Speaker 2: Sleeve.
Speaker 1: YEAH i don't think so. EITHER i THINK i Think i've landed in the same spot you. Are but you, KNOW I i do feel, like based off of What i've been, told they're going to be as aggressive as they possibly can to get up to number. One but let's say they're they're unable to get to one and they do land it. Too so WHILE i do agree with you that there is a gap Between Cooper flag And Dylan, harper the MORE i Watch Dylan, harper the MORE i like. Him there's a little kid to, him right like there's a little Kid cunningham to. HIM i don't love the comp. Thing so let's just for our listeners out this way tremendously curious about what The jazz could, do and we'll come away with if it is too and they land On Dylan harper or what sort of player do you think he?
Speaker 4: Is, yeah He's he's one of these big, guards point, guards combo. Guy he's, young he's. Nineteen he's got you, know alpha mentality written all over. Him and the THING i love best About Dylan, harper who is much more efficient than his co Star Ace, bailey WHO i think is a, Project Dylan harper is more of a ready made. Prospect he's, big he's at six six to. Twenty the THING i love him about about the most is his second gen. Guy he's a legacy. Player Ron harper's, son and what we've seen historically in the draft that if you get guys who are the sons of AN nba, player they vastly outperformed their draft, slot, vastly even at number. Two we've seen guys come into the league that a son of AN nba player that for whatever, reason whether it's, genetic whether it's you, KNOW iq like just INSTITUTIONAL, iq your EMOTIONAL, intelli just being part of a household that had already seen the riggers of THE. Nba you're already knowing the riggers of THE. Nba there's just been a huge history of second gen players being much better than we expected in THE. Nba And Dylan, harper although the team wasn't a winning team last, season The rutgers didn't even make THE ncaa tournament despite having two of the top three prospects in the league consensus top three prospects in the in the draft, Class Dylan harper is a much better, player a really good offensive player and a solid defensive. Player you're not going to build around them. Defensively But Dylan harper being a section, section a second generation, player a guy who's i think a, younger more. Established he's been a top guy for a couple of years. NOW i think The The Utah jazz would be very happy With Dylan harper at number, two especially BECAUSE i think they've been struggling to find their their ballhanded the lead guard over the last couple of. Years can't Say George Isaiah collier have been solid at their best, points especially with the Way collier played at the second half of last. Season but he's not taking the place of A Dylan harper And Kate cunningham. IS i think because of his size and the ability to be the lead. GUARD i think a lot of people look At Dylan harper as A Kate cunningham. PROXY i think that's a little too, aggressive like you, said BUT i think he's a really good player that can be An All star one.
Speaker 1: Day all, Right so let's just kind of keep doing this. Exercise and then obviously we need to talk about the fact That yatis might be open to being traded and what that could look like and what that, means and, oh by the, way the playoffs are going, on so we'll get to that as. Well but, ultimately if it is, three, okay So cooper's one seems like it's a consensus That dylan would be, two and then at, three it does get. INTERESTING i agree with you About. ACE i think there's a lot to like about, him namely as. MEASURABLES i, mean he's super, long and you know there are moments of pretty stunning, athleticism BUT i don't think he'll be ready to go right out of the. Gates then THERE'S. Vj. EDGECOMB a lot of people like The Jeremiah Fears, kid the point guard From, Oklahoma Tray johnson From texas in the. Mix so if it's a Three, tom if The jazz don't get one and they can't Get, cooper if they can't make a trade and they're not a two For, dylan who do you think they land on at? Three and y Oh?
Speaker 4: MAN i LOVE.
Speaker 2: Vj.
Speaker 4: EDGECOMB i don't know who The jazz would take at number, three but IF i were The, JAZZ i would TAKE.
Speaker 2: Vj he is just a, Baller he's a.
Speaker 4: Hooper he is one of the best steel rates in the draft two point three steals per thirty six. Minutes and if you're looking at what translates or what projects stardom in the next level at THE, nba.
Speaker 6: Believe it or, not at steel, rate steel.
Speaker 4: Ray has a very high predictive value if you're able to get a bunch of steels above average at the college, level those guys tend to have the ability to outperform expectations at the next level in ways that we can't really. Understand like there's something about that is your feel for the, game YOUR iq that your activity knows for the. Ball that if you're an elite defensive guy in the steels, column it translates not just defensively but offensively. Too if athleticism and ability to kind of get into passing lanes and, strength a lot of these projections analytically are very strong FOR. Vj edgecomb because of. That he's a guy who's a great. Rebounder he is not an elite elite scorer at this, point just scoring fifteen points a game For, baylor but what we're seeing from the rest of his game, playmaking defensive, playmaking his.
Speaker 2: Turnover, ratio these are.
Speaker 4: Things that he is doing at a really good. Level AND i love his. ATHLETICISM i just think he's a really good player that you might not be as much of a a household, name BUT i LOVE Dj edgecomb in this.
Speaker 1: Class i'm gonna ask you about four and five because The jazz can't fall lower than. Five so let's say the order that you've outlined is the order that we, see and It's, cooper It's, dylan and then IT'S Vj jazz landed. Four who do you think they look at and why Can?
Speaker 4: NIPPLE i love the shooting from. Him i've seen him in. Person he plays really, hard doesn't have a great. Wingspan but when you're looking at a guy who's shooting almost fifty forty ninety at the college level and plays hard, defensively he's a guy THAT i think he is a good wing player for The Utah jazz to build. Around especially the. SHOOTING i really love. That it's got good size at six, seven but, again he doesn't play a lot bigger than he. Is but he had a great season At, duke and when you look at the ability to shoot the, ball that's something That utah really. Loves they have a great shot profile in terms of getting efficient shots on the, floor but they just haven't been able to. Convert so IF i got the four or, Five i'm hoping that Can, nipple the freshman At, duke falls to them at number.
Speaker 6: FIVE i think.
Speaker 4: He's A he's a great, shooter good wing. Player, defensively as long as you've Got Walker kessler back, there he can kind of clean up some of the issues. There not a point of attack. Defender let's Say edgecombe could, be but he's a big, guard can play at the three in a. Pinch but he's going to be a guy THAT i think will be a good floor spacer in a league that is trending towards three point. Shooting he is a knockdown shooter AND i think he'd be a great fit for for Will hardy.
Speaker 1: System all, right, now let's get to The yana stuff and and ULTIMATELY i talked about this to start to show one of the things that makes this topic interesting in Saw Lake city today is the fact that the lottery is. Tonight and AFTER i saw The shams report That giannis is willing to potentially look at other fits outside Of. MILWAUKEE i listened to some SERIOUS xmmba. STUFF i turn on some of THE nba shows just to see what the conversation sounded, like and nobody brought up The. JAZZ i Heard, brooklyn And brooklyn is kind of in a similar spot to where The Utah jazz find themselves with some decent young, talent but mostly draft capital and a lot of questions to be. Answered so how do you think this ends? In is there any way The jazz get? Involved do you think it makes any sense at? All giannis has two years left on his deal than a player, Option so how do you think it plays? Out and do you think The jazz have a say in any of?
Speaker 4: THIS i think they do because they have eight tradable first round, picks two of them are in this year's. Draft so if you're getting on the phone With Horace John horace over In, milwaukee you're gonna basically come to that table and, Say i've got eight first round picks For Jannisenda decompo in my.
Speaker 2: Coffers let's.
Speaker 4: Talk And okase obviously is another team that can come in as a threat to. That but when you're talking About, okac does he fit next To Shay, Guilders alexander and what they're trying to build With, okac they might be a little gunshy to do something like. That and when you're talking about the ability to get yanis is that timetable For Utah jazz And okac the right? One and For, oka see they're a super young Team Shae Guildriss alexander similar To Larry markin and in that you have a star player who's entering his. Prime so it makes some sense in that perspective to Get. Yannis but for, ME okac has thirteen tradeable first compared TO. UTAH i, mean that's a crazy stat right, there that they have thirteen tradable first round picks to put into a potential deal For. Yannis but from an organizational, STANDPOINT i wonder IF okac just isn't willing to go all in On yannis just. Yet we have to see what happens here with you, know the playoff and how things shake. Out But utah does have that ability to put in those eight first round, picks which is a trump card for just about any team outside OF. Okc so can they get into The COOPER i mean The yannest Sweep? Stakes, Yes BUT i would BE i would not necessarily consider them a serious contender BECAUSE i Think yannis would have a say in this and For yannis to Leave milwaukee and look around and say where DO i want to? Go that can give me an opportunity to win a. CHAMPIONSHIP i don't think that The Utah jazz are in the running for. That it would have to be just a godfather. Offer i'm talking, like if they get the number two pick here and they put it into the deal along with eight tradable first round, PICKS i think that's the only way you're going to Get janis into The koopa to play ball and The Milwaukee bucks front, office BECAUSE i Think giannis wants to go to a team to win a. Championship AND i just don't think that if you're Trading Walker kessler And lowry market in and whoever they get in the first round, HERE i don't know what is left and you're Risking yanni's just turning around and, SAYING i want out right. Away how AM i going to be winning championships here In? UTAH i just Left milwaukee where we Had Danian lillard and we didn't get that. Far how can we get further than? That how DO i AM i closer to winning a second championship In? Utah and SO i JUST i don't see it unless, there's you, know a secondary deal That Danny age can poll where he's, Like i'm gonna go get a big time star with you, Know Walker kessler And Lowry markinen and then use the rest of my asses to go all in On. YIANNIS i just don't see it right.
Speaker 1: Now YEAH i don't. EITHER i don't. Either just we'll figure. It at some, point somebody would bring them up as a. Possibility in, Fairness Bobby marks wrote a piece where he talked about the. Jazz so a couple of, minute it's, less so let's do some. Playoffs teams actually, playing and Tonight tommy is maybe the biggest game that The knicks have played AT msg since nineteen ninety. Nine i'm not even kidding when you think about what's at stake. Here even after going up TO Td garden and grabbing, two you, know AND i still pull for My New York. KNICKS i was, WELL i was very skeptical about them being able to get two. MORE i remain very skeptical about them being able to get two. More, REMEMBER i know you know, This but for our, Listeners boston was historically good on the road this, year actually a better road record than at. HOME i WISH i was there. Tonight tonight it's one of those nights where you want to be AT. Msg how do you think it's gonna what's the scene going to be, like and what do you think goes down With boston And New york. Tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah Remember game seven last year against The pacers in The Eastern conference, semis The knicks got blown out AT msg, yep AND i think about, that, like, man it's hard to imagine that happening. Again basically getting wept at home in the you, know in game three and four Against. Boston But boston had much better shots there In game, three AND i think they might have figured, out, like, hey we can't just GO iso every. Time we got to get some offense and you know the shots are going to. Fall they shot was a twenty five of one hundred in the first two Games boston did from downtown and it was they were awesome In game three and they can't Get Mitchell robinson on the floor because of the hack a shock That boston's. Doing and it's JUST i Think boston at this point has figured out, that, yes they need to have three point shooting in their arsenal in order to beat The, knicks but it can't be a. One the team that has won the fast break battle in this first three games have won the series so. Far so The knicks opened with winning the fast break column in the first two, games and then The celtics got out in transition a lot more Than New york, did and that starts on the defensive. End so as much AS i want to say that The knicks can can really make this a, series and of course they're up to, ONE i still think that The Boston celtics are gonna Win game four. Here but you, know the way That Karl Anthony towns has played in this, game in this, SERIES i do feel like there's a lot more on the table that he can give just one of seven From downtown in this. Series he is not taking advantage of the reason why that got him in the first, place was providing that spacing in the five out. System and unless they're gonna get that Big Karl Anthony towns, GAME i just think That boston's gonna win this win this game.
Speaker 2: For it's gonna be.
Speaker 4: GREAT i, mean great drama between these two teams and great. Competitiveness BUT i JUST i Think boston was a little unlucky in their three point shooting the first two. Games that looked awful like from aesthetics than point the way that they were just trying to take the first three that they could. GET i think they settled down a little bit more In game three and got out in transition and attack The knicks in the open. Court AND i think that's the way they got to win In game four is getting out in. Transition whoever does that and doesn't have to play against a set, defense that's what the team that's going to carry the day in game.
Speaker 1: For you like, dogs, tom?
Speaker 2: Dogs?
Speaker 1: Dogs do you like?
Speaker 4: Dogs i'm looking at My German shepherd right.
Speaker 1: Now, OKAY i love, it love. It so here's here's Where i've landed on. This Donovan mitchell is a golden, doodle and you love golden. Doodles, okay everyone loves a golden. Doodle cute. Dogs you can win dob shows with golden. Doodles sometimes golden doodles are going to drop fifty points in a playoff. Game but to win the, playoffs you gotta have pit, bulls And indiana has a ton of. Them is there any Way cleveland gets back into, this, say, look Obviously donovan has done some really special. Things and if you're The, cavs you're gonna say That garlands not right and we haven't been. Healthier whatever it, is but this will be looks Like tom another year Where donovan's going home after the second. Round do you think The cavs have any chance to get back into this?
Speaker 4: Series golden? Doodles, oh do you have a golden?
Speaker 1: DOODLE i have An english cream BUT i love a golden. Doodle who doesn't love a golden? Doodle, Right but you're not Putting you're not putting a golden doodle in a dog, fight is What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying you, KNOW i think golden. Noodles my wife got bit by a poodle on a run and it drew blood and it was. Awful And i'm not a fan of. Poodles play that all, Right so a golden doodle is a mix of a poodle and golden, retriever Which i'm a big. FAN i like, LABRADORS i like golden. Retrievers i'm fine with. THEM i just don't like the whole doodle. Things i'm out on.
Speaker 1: Doodles oka putting that.
Speaker 4: Aside Donovan, mitchell you can't put pit this on. HIM i know It's utah and it's, that and it's your region right there With Donovan. MITCHELL i can't put any of what's happening here On Donovan.
Speaker 2: Mitchell he showed.
Speaker 4: Up in this. Series he, HAS i, mean notwithstanding the second half where he missed with an ankle, injury and it looks like he's a game time decision For game. Five But i'm looking At Donovan mitchell And i'm, saying you showed. Up everybody else, hasn't and because of. Injuries you can chalk this up to the twenty Fifteen Atlanta hawks showing up here in this series where it seems like they're shorthanded but also a little. Overrated But i'm not putting this On Donovan, mitchell a guy who in this, series without playing the second, half is averaging thirty four points per game and just doing so much for this team that outside of, Him Evan mobley missing in this, series not just literally, missing but hasn't been playing up to. Himself And Ty, jerome who in my, opinion was the most import player in THE nba this, year has been a complete. Zero Darius garland has been in and out of the, lineup hasn't been. Himself so for, ME i don't want to put this On Donovan. MITCHELL i think that's. Unfair but in terms of A Donovan mitchell led. Team, yeah you can say that The Cleveland cavaliers have underperformed. HERE i just think that The Indiana, pacers the.
Speaker 6: Way that they play.
Speaker 4: Beautiful, basketball the way that they move the, ball the way that they get open, shots and they play with, energy and they play speed and they play the pace at which they play is something that The cavs have completely completely. Underestimated AND i think a lot of this is due to the fact that they played A Miami heat team that just kind of laid down in the first. Half and this is if The Miami heat they were, terriers they were not pit, bulls they were Not. Rottweilers and The pacers have, incredible incredibly hard nosed, defenders role players on this, team and they moved the. Ball they play such a smart brand of, basketball and it reminds me of. SUMMERTIME i don't know if you remember, this but in twenty, fourteen when The San Antonio spurs beat The Miami, heat they moved the ball at such a rapid. Pace they had one hundred more passes per game than The Miami. Heat Lebron james Led heat in that twenty FOURTEEN Nba, finals they destroyed the heat with their baalt, movement and that's what The Indiana pacers are doing against the against The Cleveland. Cavaliers it's just they play a different brand of. Basketball and with The, cavs they were a great passing, team not a high volume passing, team but a great passing team in the regular, season and they just look like a shell. Themselves and a lot of that Is Kenny atkinson just hasn't found the right. FORMULA a lot of it is the mismatches that The Indiana pacers have been able to exploit On Max struce And Darius. Carlin they've bullied those guys mismatches and targeted. Them But Ni, smith Nem, haard these guys are killers out there and Uh Tyres haliburn hasn't had a great series and yet they're up three to. One it's it really is an incredible testament to players who are not, stars but stars in their roles in THE Inanea pacers role Players.
Speaker 1: Tom prediction, time who gets the number one pick?
Speaker 4: Tonight i'm gonna go with The utah J there we, Go And i'm, sorry is that is that jinxing or is that something you want to?
Speaker 2: Hear?
Speaker 1: No it's good karma out. Here we need. It it's a big, day. Man it's been it's been a rough few years and we, need, uh we need just some hope for this fan base that's used to a really competitive. Team So i'll set you, loose appreciate the, time And i'll get you back on. Soon Thanks, Tom You Tom HABERSTROW Nba Daily assist style on a big day in the world of The National basketball So association where Apparently janna sante To coombo is open to being traded From. Milwauk THE Nba draft lottery is. Tonight we've Got Nick, celtics then we Got, Warriors Tea. Wolves didn't have time to get to that With, tom but we'll do some With Tony parks coming. Up on the other, SIDE i want to tell you about The Daybreak home And Garden. Show it's right around the. Corner It's may sixteenth through the. Eighteenth it's The ballpark At America First, square one one One Ballpark drive In South. Jordan website best let's see the best home show dot. Com excuse, me the best home show dot. Com so listen, up. Homeowners spring is in the. Air the birds are chirping and the flowers are. Blooming is your home and backyard sanctuary ready to enjoy the coming? Season we'll go check out the New Daybreak home And garden show coming to the ballpark At America First Square may sixteenth through the. Eighteenth this new, show we'll have something for every member of the. Family vendors, galore home garden and, patio free games for the, kids free day, seminars and hourly free. Prizes come toward the exciting new tiny home from Box house and tour the New Bees ballpark and get your tickets. Now it'll be some of the most, exciting fun educational home shows. Ever In, daybreak what have we got an hour and twenty yep, hour twenty minutes before THE Nba Draft lottery takes place. Tonight programming, reminder we will say goodnight, early right at five. O'clock then we'll bring YOU espn radios live coverage of THE Nba Draft, lottery so stay tuned for that and then a fun night OF nba basketball. Tonight it's one of the biggest games At Madison Square garden in a number of, years as THE nixt have an opportunity to put The celtics on the precipice of, elimination and then we'll see if The warriors can at least get one While steph is getting. Better so fun night OF nba basketball, tonight but live and, studio friend of the, program friend of. Mine, Hello Tony, parks how are? You i'm, great, Man i'm. Great great to see as.
Speaker 7: Always getting on the flight To sacramento late, tonight starting a six game series, There, okay just enjoying the baseball. WORLD i love it BECAUSE i get home AND i get to catch like the last half of the late.
Speaker 6: Game.
Speaker 7: Huh THE nba. Playoffs, man this. Round you And i've always talked to. THIS i always told YOU i love this, round maybe more than any because there's two games a. Night, yep chances a really good one of them is gonna be. Awesome it feels like every, night both of them morales for.
Speaker 1: Sure is that? Way, Yeah it's Like March madness is a primer for spring basketball because THE ncaa tournament is unbelievably. Entertaining, yeah and then you just want THE nba, to you, know have their employees show up for work and want to try, hard which we just don't get enough in the regular. Season but when you see, it you realize what it looks like when the best players in the world give a rip about playing. Basketball it's so.
Speaker 7: Fun oh IT'S i mean the late game situations that the intense, DEFENSE i, mean the big defensive stops in the Next celtics series in those late. Games that's what made and not to pull the back in my. Day but what made nineties basketball so great is we just remember a lot of the, playoffs but there were very regular season games. Too but it was the big defensive plays that you never, forgot as well as the big shots that were hit and things like.
Speaker 1: That it was.
Speaker 7: Exciting so this whole, round, man it's had me, connected engaged and fired. Up and because during the regular SEASON i had so much going, ON i didn't get a chance to really watch a ton of.
Speaker 1: It, sure but, Man i've been glued to every bit of. This so before we get to what could be a historic night for The jazz and your thoughts on you know they what they could grab if it's one Obviously cooper, flag what that could mean for our, market give us an update on the. Beast and here here's actually WHAT i wanted to ask you WHEN i sound saw you on the rundown. Today now that you've been doing this job for a while after we Lost steve rest in, Peace Steve, cloukey any of it surprising to. YOU i know you filled in a, bunch but now that you've been the full time guy for a. While m, hm has it been what you? Expected has it been, better has it been? Harder?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Like just your thoughts on?
Speaker 7: It ben EVERYTHING i would Expect in terms of the baseball. STUFF i, mean there's just no, doubt, man the the enjoying calling a baseball game every, day waking up every, day people ask you, know how do you do so many?
Speaker 1: Games And i'm, like it's, awesome, Man LIKE i love.
Speaker 7: It there's a game, tomorrow after, that there's after, That LIKE i love. That each game it's, like by no means DO i Think i'm The Bob rosso, Broadcasters but each game it's LIKE i got this, canvas AND i and and some of IT i get to, paint but the players in the game paint most of. IT i just get to be a piece of. THAT i get to be a piece of the journey for every single player on their way to the major. Leagues i've had interactions with three or four players right after they got.
Speaker 1: Informed they're headed up and that's the good. STORY i can't tell you what that moment's.
Speaker 7: Like Man, like it's like you see them at, eight, nine ten years, old all at the same time in this one, moment because many times they've talked to me before they get to call their. Parents you, know it's, like, yeah you're right. THERE i, mean it's the freshest thing to. It, YES i Remember Gustavo camparo jumped into my arms.
Speaker 1: And was, Like i'm going through the big. Leagues he's like so fired.
Speaker 7: Up so all of that has been EVERYTHING i could have ever imagined and.
Speaker 1: MORE i gotta tell, you there's nothing GOING i.
Speaker 7: Get and you, know for, me BEFORE i was ever hired for the job, PERSONAL i mean it's very personal being there as THE mc of THE bs and behind the, scenes there was a cultural expectation to be something where you just ultimately strive to be the very very best that you can and even then some like your, constant it's an endless. Pursuit that's what it was For, Steve that's what it is for, me but also to help my teammates be that, too And steve carried that.
Speaker 1: Standard the strange thing has been no.
Speaker 7: Doubt AND i don't blame anybody for this because the timelines were so, close With steve, Retiring steve me then being the full time, voice and Then steve tragically passing.
Speaker 1: Away there's usually a mix up of people forgetting because they BELIEVE i took over after he passed, away and it just, happens, like you can't blame.
Speaker 7: People it's just so close to, like, wait, now so what take me through the experience when he passed away and then you took. Over it's, like And i've been in live interviews Or i've had to, say well he, retired and you can see them on the air realizing, like, oh, OKAY i didn't know.
Speaker 1: That so that's, just you, know a small.
Speaker 7: Thing or somebody will be, like, YEAH i loved your, Broadcast SO i hope they make that a permanent.
Speaker 1: Thing you.
Speaker 7: Know in these shoes and it's like, no, no, no, No steve had his shoes and no one will ever be those shoes AND i have my own pair of shoes And.
Speaker 1: Steve would want it that. Way so it's kind of unique in that.
Speaker 7: Way, now that's another part of the, tragedy And i've been in great touch with his Daughter, lisa his Wife, sue And adam AND i stay in, touch but we're very unique on when our busy seasons are, So so, anyway it's been it's been beautiful to have that connection With steve's. Family the opening night there at the ballpark and walking around just to kind of get the, vibe AND i saw them and all three of us were like so emotional to see each other on that.
Speaker 1: Night so, anyway it's been EVERYTHING i could dream. Of, yeah you, know, look it was an unspeakable tragedy no matter. What but the fact that he had retired and was ready to kind of go do the thing and live the rest of his, life it almost stings even. More even though it just sings horribly no matter what people, do forget That steve had. Retired he was ready to go live the rest of his golden years with his, family THAT'S i.
Speaker 7: Mean and he had all this Pan every Time i'd see him at the, ballpark he was like so proud of. Me he loved listening to my, game you know WHAT i. Mean and he was that type of. Guy, yeah and he loved giving me all this feedback mostly. Positive people were, like was he giving you? Feedback, yeah and most of it was. Positive he loved the WAY i set things up and called this play, here and he liked that he AND i were different by the. Way he liked that he AND i were different in the way we called the. Game the most important area IS i think we're, similar but in the ultimate art we were.
Speaker 1: Different and he liked.
Speaker 7: That and then he was out on a, Walk that's what he was, doing and WHEN i was. In what's crazy is WHEN i was informed of what. HAPPENED i had the girls with me on a trip To. Vegas they flew, IN i flew. In we all got to the airport. Together we stayed up super late because the adrenaline was high and we as a. Family the reason why they were there with me at that time is earlier in the, YEAR i picked his brain on a lot of. STUFF i, said if you could go back and do one thing over more often or just, different he, SAID i would have had the family travel with me even. More he, SAID i did, it BUT i would have done it even.
Speaker 6: MORE.
Speaker 7: Yea SO i was, like heck with, It let's just do as much as we can when we can for. Sure SO i had him on that trip and they were in the room when the announcement was made on a zoom.
Speaker 1: Call that's. Tough that's, tough so no easy way to nextit that space so non sequitary a. Bit but how's how's the team give us a little? Overview and how's the how's the new? Ballpark how's the? Experience? Man New ballpark's? Beautiful?
Speaker 7: MAN i mean that twilight, hour like you never know until you get an experience of.
Speaker 1: It, sure but.
Speaker 7: Sitting up, there every time we hit a twilight hour where the sun where the natural lighting in the stadium lights are doing the same amount of work to keep the, field you, know lit, up and then you look.
Speaker 1: Out and around, whoa, man is it?
Speaker 7: Beautiful and you got the the scene of the mountains and you've got just that overall look beyond and it'll look even better after everything gets. Completed and still like that's a really cool moment for sure, ballpark.
Speaker 1: Man so it's beautiful to see.
Speaker 7: That fans when they come they talk, about you, know how great the experience. Is you, know it's it's been really neat the bes. EVENT a number of guys getting calls. Up you, know they get called. Up it's one thing that we. See we see dudes playing really, well see you. Later that's how it. Works and so it's been, Cool, like you, know the rotation really solidified themselves on some of those road. Trips they want a. Series they look, good all these quality. Starts next, thing you, know you have three bullpen games in a. Series that's the name of the game is so so it's been fun to watch a lot of the individual success combined with some of the team's success when it's. Happening and so it's been fun to be around.
Speaker 1: Good, good, good good good. Crowds we're getting some Good.
Speaker 7: Yeah saturday, night you, know you have a great fever pitch when the team was up and then they were down and then the game kind of bled, out but the energy and the pageantry of the crowd was top shelf On saturday.
Speaker 1: Night great to. Hear SO i wanted to ask you this today and in our next, segment we'll do some, jazz we'll do some. Lottery we'll get back to some of that stuff because the lottery is on this radio station in one hour and ten minutes right. Now but there was some news not too long ago that became official and you referenced The bees culture of everybody starting in their. Role you didn't use that, term but you, know whatever you, do let's go ahead and do whatever we can to make sure that we're on the right seat on the bus and we're moving forward and we're trying to work hard to be. Great how much of that culture would you attribute to The millers owning the club because they now own our soccer team now on Raiosol Lay and so obviously with my, BACKGROUND i have a ton of friends AT, rsl AND i worked with you for The millers for seven, years SO i have this unique paradigm WHERE i know the, CLUB i KNOW, rsl AND i know the culture that we wanted to set back in two thousand and. Four and then WHEN i LEFT rsl for The jazz in twenty, eleven spent seven years working for The. Millers So i've talked to a lot of people over there BECAUSE i have the experience that they're now just starting AND i had a great experience working for The millers for seven, years AND i do think they were excellent stewards of The, jazz AND i think there'll be excellent stewards for our soccer. Team but as somebody that has worked for them for a number of, years what would you say to our friends AT rsl that now have the new ownership.
Speaker 7: Group they are magnificent at the cultural expectation of striving for, excellence of truly understanding like how high the bar can be. Set the other, THING i think they do a wonderful job of creating synergy among those who are working. Together i'm In Trey fitzgerald AND i had a chance to sit down for breakfast and we're talking about. That, OH i, know we're doing five six and under. Club, sorry, FOLKS i wasn't going, Next, TONY i wasn't going.
Speaker 1: THERE i beat you to. It, no it was.
Speaker 7: Funny we sat, there you, know we had a kids menu in front of us and we were talking it. Out, no but We one THING i really like about TRYING i think he's such a great Fit John, kimball Who i've always enjoyed being. Around, like there's some people there That i'm, Going, okay they understand the critical piece of how to.
Speaker 1: What AM i?
Speaker 7: Thinking you don't stay in your lane but not playing out of position like. BASEBALL i use these examples all the, time like you're a second, baseman you might not you might have to come all the way across the field to be an extra cutoff on a throw right or. Third, basically there's different situations where you don't stay in your, lane but you also know how to not play out a. Position and they're, really really. Good AND i think at the ballpark with a lot of the folks THAT i have a chance to work with on the broadcast, side from the production to the comms. Department you, KNOW i Think Nate thompson's doing a stellar. Job he came over from The dodgers. ORGANIZATION i mean he just jumps right, in you, know he gets, it man. Like, Yeah and there's ways to do a wonderful job of you, know knowing how to be a back up, here knowing how to create support, here knowing how to do your job to make life easier on, MARKETING, prcr everyone all across the. Board AND i think that many people there at Rials alake are about to experience why that becomes such a key part of the fabric to the success of an entire team working.
Speaker 1: Together it sounds so, simplistic but it's so nice to have co workers who just get. It, oh you, know it sounds like the most simple thing you can possibly, say because, yeah of, course of course you should just get. It but there's a big gap between people that just get it and people that just don't and never. Will so you could have helped, here you saw the.
Speaker 7: Problem if you had moved two millimeters over, here it would have affected you zero percent and would have helped them seventy. Percent and you decided voluntarily not to. Assist, okay, yep you, know and then you just told on. Himself, YEAH i, MEAN i just you, know just to walk through.
Speaker 1: It that's the. Facts and you're.
Speaker 7: Right that isn't your, job and that's Not you're totally, right, Right, okay all, right all, right.
Speaker 1: Before we catch a, break let me ask you this. Question then we'll do some lottery stuff Talk Cooper flag, Talk Dylan Harper. Giannis as you watch the, playoffs and, LOOK i want to be clear because there are very few media members that have the KNOWLEDGE i have about what happened behind the scenes With mitchell And gobert And. Quinn SO i know the, Deal, OKAY i know why it all went. Down, okay if you want to look to one person as to who really broke this thing. Down it Was. Donovan it just was no matter how many podcasts he goes on to, say we had more meat on that bone In. Utah not sure why we pulled the rip. Cord it's, like, dude come, on we all know exactly what happened and we know the. Deal BUT i would hear people say After Nico harrison Traded, LUCA i would hear people, say, well no team ever trades a twenty five year old. Superstar i'm, like, well And i'm not Saying Donovan's. Luca, Okay i'm, not But danny made a calculated decision to trade a twenty five year year old dynamic offensive, force and The cavs are. Screwed But donovan has been really special and again is about to go, HOME i think after the second, round so he won't get to a conference. Final and then we See gobert with a historic twenty twenty game to close out The, lakers like a game That wilt, had and that's. It it's like plus twenty five, points plus twenty, boards eighty percent field, goal that's rarefied. Air you See Mike conley hitting big. Shots you know you've Seen Nakil Alexander walker playing a massively important role For minnesota as somebody who was with the organization during The Gobart Mitchell, Quinn Dennis lindsay iteration of The Utah Jazz is there any part of you watching these former jazz players really ball out and wonder, like, hmm was that the right? Play was that the right?
Speaker 7: Call so to, me it's never about what they go on to, do it's about what you go on to do when you leave a, relationship when you leave a, job when whatever you do it can't be, WELL i don't want to leave this Because i'm afraid that they might go on to have, success and how that looks on, me and how that that cannot be the and why you do. It The luca move may have been the absolute right. MOVE i don't know under the hood what goes on With. Dallas should you have been able to get a lot more for? That, yes that was the. Failure so if you're gonna make the move Like Greg, popovich who you, know anybody can feel how they want about. Him he didn't make the move With rodman and then be afraid that The bulls might win three, titles because if that was the, case then you stay in a toxic situation that you don't think is gonna work for.
Speaker 1: What so he doesn't go. Win so now both of you.
Speaker 7: Lose So rodman goes on to win three championships with The bulls And Greg popovich has got egg on his face and he pretty much fires himself and fires. Him somebody puts himself the coach to to, Say, okay now i'm gonna see IF i can walk the walk with this. Thing i'm gonna put my name on. It we goes and wins five. Titles the point was the payoff for. You so anytime you make a move like, that the focus needs to be on one particular, thing the payoff for.
Speaker 1: You and many times that's long.
Speaker 7: Term Now i'm not saying everybody has to agree with every move after the trades With donovan And rudy and all.
Speaker 1: That BUT i got news for.
Speaker 7: You if you stay with that in any, variation any shape or, form because nobody was without some sort of fault and all of, that, then like in my, opinion you're hanging on to something THAT i think would not have.
Speaker 1: Given you the ultimate result that you.
Speaker 7: Wanted you wanted the ultimate result you moved on from, Them so you made the right. Change now the question is do you make all the right moves after to get you the ultimate.
Speaker 1: Dream that's where it's on them.
Speaker 7: Now And danny, Said i'm going to bet on me THAT i have the, ability skill and the talent with my job if you will to eventually go achieve.
Speaker 1: That now it's on him to do. It but let's say he. Doesn't let's Say danny doesn't go on to do. IT i do this With bears fans all the. Time With Lovey, smith.
Speaker 7: They never fired Love no right, fire wrong hires all the way. Out so right move to move on from that? Era was it the right choices going? Forward that's on you, now.
Speaker 1: Yep and to your, point it's very much an incomplete And i'm not ready to annoint or dismiss because there so many options they have at their. DISPOSAL i do think before we catch or Break tony and you tell me if you, AGREE i think it's only fair to say so far the results have been very. MIXED i, mean the picks they've, had the young players they've landed, on you, know their. DIRECTION i don't, know, MAN i just think it's so counter to an athlete to be told like we are unseious about, winning even if it's the wrong. THING i don't, know, WELL i think it.
Speaker 7: Anyway the one Thing i'll, say AND i know we got to get to it's a longer. THING i thought they'd. BE i thought they'd be farther. DOWN i thought they'd be closer Or i'm not saying to a. CHAMPIONSHIP i thought there'd be more progress at this point than what we've.
Speaker 1: See, yeah, NO i think that's. Fair all, Right Tony parks live in. Studio team mind us one hour and three minutes before THE Nba draft, lottery live here on the, Station so keep that in. Mind if you're not going to be home by, Five if you're driving around town and you're curious to see where The jazz will, draft to make sure to keep it locked right. Here tony stops. Spotterday courtesy of our friends At Courtland, roofing re roofing and roof repair experts with over twenty years of, experience family owned and, operated Call Courtland roofing today to get a free rain gutter with any roof. Replacement you'd literally say thousands and thousands of, Dollars so give them a call at eight oh one six one five five five six. Zero that's ato one six one five five five six zero eight oh one six one five five five six. Zero or check them out online At cortland roofing dot. Com two hours, down one hour. Ago one more big segment With tony coming up on the other, side right here on the drive With spence check it's ON espn seven hundred ninety TWE. Ffm we are proud to be part Of UTAH'S Espn radio. Network in fifty five minutes on the dot you will find out where The Utah jazz are going to draft coming up this Year june twenty. Fifth don't forget we're gonna have Great draft night. Coverage it will be, Myself Gordy, chase And Richard. Smith we may be out on, about out and about on. Location you guys looking for a play to watch the first round of the. Draft after our show here in the, afternoon we're gonna head out and then do a live show for the entire first round of the draft With gordy And smitty a wealth of basketball. Knowledge Tony parks is live in studio for another big. Segment all, RIGHT tp tonight has a chance to be And i'm not being. Hyperbolic as big as any moment that The Utah jazz have ever, had as big as any moment this team has ever. Had we know the deal The jazz have. HAD i think this is their tenth lottery. Appearance they've never moved. Up they've only moved up via. Trade they traded up for D, will a couple of other options at their disposal throughout the years where they've elected to move, Up but they've never had the ping pong balls bounce their way like we're all hoping that it will. Tonight so should The jazz get number, One? Tony what does that do for both the immediate future and long term future of The Utah.
Speaker 7: Jazz number one within its fan base creates a fever pitch of energy that instead of this, teardown it's the first step to moving up as an. Organization WHAT i found amazing in The Quinn snyder era was that twenty fifteen, season the first season Of, Snyder towards the end of the, year the energy that was there with the team because they were. Winning now they had an. Identity you had all. That you AND i had a conversation last time we were on the, Air it's, like what's the culture of the, jazz what's the? Identity what's the when we say JAZZ, Dna what does that mean? ANYMORE i, MEAN i would love somebody to identify. It it's not.
Speaker 1: Identifiable, yeah you, know you don't think they. KNOW i think they're still learning about.
Speaker 7: It and that's WHY i loved the extension for Will hardy BECAUSE i, thought, man it's not just unfair to this guy to have to slog through this and then maybe not have the job when the fruits of the labor come. AROUND i think he's proven the duke and. Coach i've seen it behind the scenes with the work, there with the G league and The stars and all. That, Like, no they have a great system and a great culture within what they do in order to. Win in THE, nba sometimes teams lose and get bad before they become. Great someday this would be great because now you get the number one. Pick let's say It's cooper. Flag now you know it's not, well let's go bottom out some. More, no it's let's start to move in positive, directions BECAUSE i don't think you would want to Get cooper flag and, say now, listen we're gonna have some really bad habits on purpose here for a little, while but we need you to be the flag bear around. Here, no now you got to, start you, know moving the positive. Direction AND i think that would be great BECAUSE i think jazz fans have been waiting for, that AND i think they'd be excited to see that. Happen so that, that to, me would be great because now there's a sign of good news something they haven't really. Had because the moment you have good, news a bunch of trades mid season bottom.
Speaker 1: Out holy, Cow Cooper. Flag so THE nba DRAFT comba and it was real That Cooper flag grew an inch last year At. Duke, okay now here's WHY i bring it, up AND i underscore this all the. Time he turned eighteen In, december like this kid should have been a senior in high. School he reclassified and then entered college because he was ready to, play obviously at the highest of. Levels like part of me Thought Richie saunders was going to LEAVE byu because he's twenty. Three and if you have an opportunity to be, drafted what you really want to do is get to your second, contract third. CONTRACT i, mean, hell if Your Chris paul gets your fifth because that's when the generational wealth kicks in to your. Point you know earlier About Cooper, flax so he is still so, young but it feels like he has an opportunity to be a difference maker right. Away we're hearing from a couple of different. People shams was actually ON tv not too long, ago and there's a clip going around where he is reporting that if The jazz don't get, one they're going to be as aggressive as they can to trade up and get number. One what do you think that looks? Like so let's say The. Jazz and by the, WAY i do Like Dylan. Harper the MORE i Watch Dylan, harper there's a little Kid cunningham, There, like that's a big guard that you. Need And i'll Remind jazz FANS i talk about this all the. Time if you want to know what type of Players Danny ainge wants on his, team watch The Boston celtics tonight And Jalen brown And Jason tatum are the perfect archetype for what you need in THE. Nba six' eight, sixty seven six eight big, body, guys long can guard, multiple positions do a myriad of. Different things dylan can. Do that but If the jazz fall and there they don't get, number one but they want to, Move up first, of all you have to Have a william. Trade partner i'm NOT sure gm wants to be the guy That trades. Cooper flag do you throw five or six picks to the team that? Has won do You, offer lowry do You? Offer, walker like If the jazz want to move up, to one what do you think?
Speaker 7: It, looks, YEAH well i mean if you want to move up, to one first, of all it depends on where. You're at and second, of all the team that's holding that number one knows what your bank account like in terms, of, assets right so they can get, incredibly aggressive and, that trade in, my opinion would not be finalized until the day of.
Speaker 1: The draft draft day. For, sure, yeah oh it would be.
Speaker 7: The start so the constant conversation is should they?
Speaker 1: Should they? Should?
Speaker 7: THEY well i think the other one There with harper back to your point on that great combo guard exactly what you're. Talking about so if they GET too i could very Well See danny, aims, SAYING look i still get a lot OF what, i Want and i'll take whichever one, you Don't and i'll hang on to all these ASSETS because i need more than just one really great player to turn this.
Speaker 1: Thing Around so i'm not going to break the bank for.
Speaker 7: One guy uh going forward with this because if you look, at, it yeah with the four years and not a lot happening in the process that he had There, with boston then eventually you Get those keith number three picks, that blossomed and eventually this whole entire thing turned into a twelve year process which landed to.
Speaker 1: A championship so with that.
Speaker 7: BEING said i could very much see them staying. At two but let's say, something, tragic habbag you're three. Or four they want to, get up they want. TO spend i think that they would explore with a particular budget what it takes to. Get there but this Is, Where danny so you did the first part to get all. These assets you did the first part to go through the. Pain tolerance now you have to become really good at this, next phase which he's been able to show that he can to get the right guy and to spend and do what it takes to get. That guy, so yeah he's going to explore all. Of it what does it look Like if i'm the number, One team, i'm LIKE well i, want, this, this this, This that and then if you're the number, one team you got to get Serious, about okay well WHAT would i be willing to?
Speaker 1: Settle for that's what makes this. Game, Fun yeah and to your point about not being one great, player away, m dude they're three or four. Great players Like When. OKLAHOMA city i think the final home game For the jet this YEAR, was okac AND so i just made it a point like just get. Down there, you know it's the final. Home game go say hello to, some people, you know Go final jazz. HOME game I think i went to ten, this year and YOU, and i once upon, a time we're at that building way, too much. You, know so SO whatever i think, ABOUT that I do i want to go to.
Speaker 4: THE game i.
Speaker 1: DON'T know i Feel like i've been to. Enough GAMES but i went down TO. Watch Okac scott layden was, in, town yeah AND so i was able to Sit with Scott and smitty and WE. Watched. Okc tony they've got twelve guys that can play at, a high. High Level so I'M watching Okc, in denver and you, know this like if you're a sports sococ radio Host In Salt, lake city you've got to bring it back around for the local stuff. At TIMES so i always watched, the prison like what does this mean For. The jazz i'm Analyzing the jazz against, These teams, And yes i'm analyzing them against the best team In the west and one of the top two or three teams in. The league but THAT'S how i do. THIS job i want to hold our local teams, to high. High standards AND when, i watch it's not just the top. End guys it's Not just Shay and Jalen. And chat they've got eleven twelve high quality rotational Pieces That mark dagnel can go to at. All times so when you Analyze the jazz next to a team, like that they're a marathon away from throwing punch INTO the. Okc consistently.
Speaker 7: Oh absolutely and on top of, That too THAT'S why, i say if they were to land, at two not the. Biggest tragedy you hope they, get one but two is also a. Great spot you get a terrific player in this process is, you know a much longer road than people would want it to be because next year now you may have a ton of, the losing but at least you're building towards, quality culture a young player to, build around and then also looking to the forward to now get more like, minded players more like, bodied players if, you will like the type Of Player danny angels.
Speaker 1: Looking for, so yes they're more than just one.
Speaker 7: Guy away that's why if they were say two in late they move up, TO one i would want them spending very little to make. That happen but if a tragedy happens that you dropped to something like, you know you dropped to you drop, to three or that would shock me a.
Speaker 1: LITTLE bit i would be disappointed to see. That happen i'll tell you what, you know it feels like your point about and we'll just operate off. A, hypothetical okay and there's no way of knowing that this is going. To happen we'll know in about forty. Five minutes but let's operate off the Hypothetical That lady luck shines on the jazz tonight for the. First time number one belongs To The. Utah jazz cooper flag is. THE pick i just feel like part of, the frustration, and look we're all on our own, echo, chamber right we all have our own. COGNITIVE dissidance i talked to my friends that are, jazz FANS and i interact with jazz fans who, you know ask me questions online. Or Whatever so i'm not Saying that i'm here to speak for the entire, fan BASE but i think one of the pieces of frustration over the past few years IS what i perceived to be a very. Clunky rebuild, and yes they tried to send some propaganda message through some media, like hey well it's not. A rebuild it was. A teardown now we're ready. To rebuild, i'm, like dude that's not how, that works but. Thank, You anyway so it's. Been clunky they started out and they were Better in will's first YEAR than i think. They anticipated they Wait until february to break, it down which is, too late and they do the same thing the. Next year, And look i'm SORRY because i would talk to some people with the jazz and they would say to, me, like well we were we thought we, were tanking but our coach is. Too GOOD and, i said who Coaches? The spurs what are you? Talking, ABOUT like i perceive it to be a clunky process through. Three YEARS but i think as a, fan base all you want is best foot forward and something to. Latch, onto yeah and up until, THIS point I think lowry was really special, year one but he was also playing with some grown Ups Like mike Conley And, kelly olynnok and that's guys that not. To win and ever since those players, Were jettisoned lowry's playing with kids who don't know how. To win and so What does lowry marketing look like when this team is. GOOD again i think there's a lot to Like, about walker but it's a group of players THAT really i think there are a lot of. Questions about and so if you Can land, cooper flag even if next year is more pain tolerance to the, fan base that at least gives them something, To, say okay we got, something, here yes and we can be patient because we have. Something here but up until, this point there just hasn't been a lot to. Latch.
Speaker 7: Onto well the weirdest thing about the early part of IT is i kept saying do it? Or, don't right like do it? Or, Don't, yep well now you're better than you thought you were going, To be like. You said it was late that they flushed it out and then bottomed out and tried to kind of sort it to IT and, i thought, all, RIGHT well i can't tell if that's what you were trying to do to begin with. Or not at least this past year they were, finally like, oh ah we're going for the number. One, pick right you can clearly see. It there now there was clarity. Going forward you get the number, one pick let's Say it's. Cooper flag whatever, it is it Can't be. Cooper flag and culture is still kind of not. Really, UNDERSTOOD no i want accountability for bad defensive. Principles, HISTORY yeah i don't want bad, defensive PRINCIPLES but i don't really know what to do.
Speaker 1: About, it, no, no, no no.
Speaker 7: No no And for will and that's sake to have that much going forward with the years on his, CONTRACT now I think i'm excited for him to be able to, have THAT like i, DON'T care i won't, play You and i'll play somebody who, you Know Like quinn snyder was to the point where it, was, Like yeah i'll.
Speaker 1: Play This rudy gobert guy INSTEAD.
Speaker 2: Of U.
Speaker 7: NIS canner i know you were the, third PICK and i Know That rudy gobert's got to stop. Offensive, goaltending well we'll get, to it we'll. Get there but the big thing was there. Was accountability so When the jazz lost nine games in, A row i'm in that locker Room in December and i'm looking at confidence coming from Guys Like gordon hayward at the TIME and I and i by NO means i know that group wasn't gonna hoist Up the.
Speaker 1: Larry O'Briant but here's what.
Speaker 7: Was HAPPENING and i kept talking with you during, postgame shows going there is, now clarity there, is direction there's forward understanding and expectation.
Speaker 5: Of.
Speaker 7: CULTURE now i don't see that the last three years With, The jazz so, going forward it can't, be Well there's cooper flag and we're, still bottoming, and, no no. YOU'RE not i don't care if it's the Equivalent Of jack cooley playing for. SOMEBODY else i don't care if you've got some g league hopeful that. Steps in but when there's a standard of accountability that has to be, there now that has to be. There now So, BECAUSE cooper, i think let's Say it's Cooper, or dylan whatever, it is they need to be developed in that environment and no. Other environment and whatever that cost you in the, immediate, future fine but that's going to pay. Off later and if that lands you another number one or number, two, Pick okay and if that lands you forty wins and you're kind of in. The middle you've got all these picks and assets going forward to make with the abilities to get what. You need and by, THE way i believe they've had the. Right coach i'm not just. Saying it i've believed they've had the right coach who was over achieved with a team that was not supposed to do what. It DID and i think now once you get some dudes who are in the, right mindset culture and what he wants, to build combined with top, level talent now you're going to.
Speaker 1: Start to see. Special, stuff yeah but there needs to.
Speaker 7: Be, alignment sorry there's no clarity and alignment going forward on accountability and.
Speaker 1: Cultural expectation so just so the listeners are kind of tapped into what tonight. Could entail so It's, the Jazz, the wizards And the hornets all have a fourteen percent chance of landing the number. One Pick the pelicans have a twelve point five Percent chance philly actually has a ten point five. Percent chance this is the second year in a Row the wizards have the highest odds to land the number. One pick atlanta had a three point five percent chance of moving to one, last year which they did And Drafted, zachary reschachet who. Looked okay last year was not the year to have the number one. Overall pick the last time with the team with the worst record in the league to have the number one pick, twenty Eighteen The. Phoenix suns ever since the lot, excuse me the lottery odds were flattened in, twenty nineteen the worst team has not had the number one. Overall Pick the jazz are one of six franchises that have never landed the number one. Overall pick so. WE'LL see, i mean this is A lottery and to, Your, POINT tony i feel confident SAYING like I Think justin zanik has dynamite at. His job And as i've said a, Million Times danny ainge doesn't need me to stand up. For him the proof Is what danny has done in, his career, quite frankly at. Every level like when you Consider what danny has done IN the, nba ecosystem, championship player high, level coach. Great broadcaster People forget danny was AWESOME on tv and now a roster constructor that he Did in boston for basically. Twenty years the list of guys in league history that have The Resume danny, ainge has it might. Be Three, it's Danny It's, jerry west and It's. Pat riley that might be.
Speaker 2: The.
Speaker 1: List man so like You've, got zanik You've, Got age you've got an ownership group that has shown that they're willing to write checks when the team. Is good ryan went with the, luxury Tax which i'll give them a lot of. Credit FOR and i do agree with YOU that I think will can. Really coach Here's where here's Where where i'll. Push back so postseason media, this year It was xanik and It. Was will and to your point about the underwhelming defensive performance a like historically bad for two. Straight years so if you're going to tell me that you love the talent in your, locker room you got to tell me why the defense has been, this pathetic and you've got to tell like IF it's i think it's a. Talent, Issue right SO when I hear Zanik and will postseason, media, say man we got a ton of talent in this. Locker room my initial, reaction, is no you, don't, Liar right but if you, believe that then what does that say about the schematics and the concepts, and coaching, BECAUSE look I watch i still Watch every. Jazz GAME like, I said i went to a grip. THIS year i saw a lot of lazy. Defensive EFFORT so i saw a lot of players out. OF place i saw a lot of players just not looking like they were comfortable with any sort of defensive concept or principal. Putting it so is it a talent thing or is it a? COACHING thing i think only time. WILL tell i think it's A, talent oh it's a. Talent thing, i'm SORRY but i watched.
Speaker 7: THAT defense i had a game Against The, memphis GRIZZLIES and i went and sat THERE and i thought the first half effort was. PRETTY good i mean it was a pretty. Good game that third quarter of the defense wasn't worth a. FOOD stamp i mean it was. Absolutely atrocious and you could see that it was okay for the defense to be that bad because when it, got bad it.
Speaker 1: Got worse and then when it.
Speaker 7: Got WORSE then i go over the rope and there was a feel about that group that this was not a one, time Thing and i'd watched them enough to know. That TOO and i sat THERE and, i, thought man, Oh man i've been in. This arena that was the first Jazz game i've been to, in years and Living in chicago during, off seasons and we were coming back BECAUSE the b season was about to, get started and it had been a little WHILE since i had been in, the ARENA and i remember, sitting there had a nice seat to. The game you ever remember that scene in the movie is the most random movie. Poll ever my wife watches every movie And so i'll go to the Theaters and Age.
Speaker 1: Of adeline you ever? Seen?
Speaker 7: That Anyway, Blake Lively blake lively is the main character in. This movie and she's on this date where this guy's making dinner for and, he said how's the food, or whatever and she, was, like.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful the opposite of. This music and, he goes you don't, like jazz and, she, GOES no i. Like jazz this is.
Speaker 7: Something different and that's THE way i Felt sitting i'm just being straight out of this Stair man i'm not trying to, be harsh but this was the most, different thing the feel in, the arena every ounce, of IT and i, remember, THINKING man i can't wait until we get this thing back someday to be what this. Community Expects and i'm not saying the approach to trade those guys and bottom out, And build i'm not. Saying that i'm, just, SAYING man i have never felt like this sitting in. This arena and YOU and i were part Of A jamal Tinsley Team jay. Tims distress every.
Speaker 1: Time we went Home.
Speaker 7: To brooklyn we were, just like we're just, looking around but like there were, bad teams but, you're, like okay but you can see where they want. TO go i sat there in that, arena, THINKING man i think this coach. Can coach there's a LOT that, I LIKE but whoa was?
Speaker 1: That bad, you know it's interesting you bring, that up because Here's what i've been and maybe you've heard me say this and maybe we've talked, about it because the fact of the, matter is jazz fans. Are awesome they do. Show up and Every time i've been in that building throughout this, entire process more often, than not The crowd, UH so i guess THE way i, put it the crowd, is present people are in. Their, seats yeah people, show up but it does not feel like if you were in the building When That Donovan rubio joe ingles when They. Beat okac what was that twenty. Eighteen nineteen that's the first TIME that i had heard it like that in. A while but it felt like that During The Peak booze. Darren years the nineties obviously. WERE insane i WAS a pr intern in ninety seven ninety Eight for Day OF, all RD so i was in. The building, so yes the crowd, is there but it doesn't sound or feel the way it does when Like peak jazz are playing big games in. The spring this is a unique fan situation When the jazz are really good and when it's in the spring and its playoffs and they're winning playoff games at. Home there i'll put that building up with any Building. In america with the.
Speaker 7: Noise level, you know IT was, i willing just the energy that that deep roar with the. Defense, change yeah, every deflection the way that the crowd. WILL rise i Mean the favors hits the jumper to put them up five.
Speaker 1: That, night, uh huh.
Speaker 7: Because you could feel the tension with the lead going, away yep And maybe donovan might be injured, or, No uh rubio with the hamstring and, you're going oh, my Gosh and favors HITS the ja to put him up five and the electric reaction to that bucket.
Speaker 1: GOING in i, don't, know man stuff. Like that the only thing.
Speaker 7: That saved that NIGHT when i was There Was devin hester came out to THROW out t shirts and that the most random good and it was right in front, of us and my wife went absolutely the daughter Wearing A chicago girls.
Speaker 1: SHIRT and i.
Speaker 7: Mean that my wife, was, like yeah this is nice and she went from zero to one hundred with fever.
Speaker 1: Pitch. Excitement yeah but like that was.
Speaker 7: The only thing to save the night because the first half was Great and, i'm thinking we got a. Good game let's go watch this GREAT entertaining. Nba game and the next half.
Speaker 1: Was vomit and it wasn't.
Speaker 7: The exception it was the rule and you could. Feel it and to, that point the feeling in the arena, was.
Speaker 1: Yes kind of out goes yes kind of how.
Speaker 7: It is it, wasn't oh there's a, talent gap but, there's, this this and then, oh no it's just there's a talent gap and it's no. Direction EITHER and i had never felt that in, that ARENA and i never knew what that.
Speaker 1: Felt, like yeah you Was a, knicks fan probably felt unfortunately tonight might be the biggest game the next have PLAYED at msg since nineteen. Ninety nine that's fair game seven last Year against indiana in the. Second round but they got their doors blown off By. The pacers but That okayc, jazz series it had so many like shocking Subplots where rubio Just Outplayed russell Westbrook And joe Ingles Shut paul george's, water, off dude and nobody saw, that. Coming right that was Like The joe ingles introduction into LIKE the nba ecosystem Nationally Because paul george cannot do Anything, on ingles which, was, WILD right i, don't, know, Man.
Speaker 7: Well and you felt like, Your Coaching, quinn snyder was the. Difference Maker, m like all of, a sudden you shouldn't be the. Better team you're not the. Better team you're even a, little injured, and right you get all. This happened but you got this young budding star and there was so much to like about.
Speaker 1: This team that was kind, Of, like hey who are?
Speaker 7: These guys, you know it was a year After The. GORDON hayward, i mean there was something. About THAT and i was around that Team In. OKLAHOMA city i was around that Team In salt lake and that whole. Entire, thing Yeah The paul, george Thing The russell, westbrook thing And then.
Speaker 1: DONOVAN being I. Mean donovan. THAT was, i mean that was the first TIME that i had heard FROM people i know around the League about mitchell watching that, playoff, Series Right.
Speaker 7: Russell, WESTBROOK sayman i almost shut. That, down nope and then coming right out and it got.
Speaker 1: Worse yea And watching donovan be the primary go to player in the playoffs as. A rookie. That was that was the FIRST time, i went, All right dennis has built something here that's going to be sustainable for a long. Long time but unfortunately not everything. Can, lasts HEY before i set, You loose i've not talked to You About dan. Roberts either Thought About dan roberts summoned down after decades of the highest levels of a job that you know how to do when you ARE the pa.
Speaker 7: Announcer of an arena you are part of the that is. The ring there's, the smells there's, the sound but the Sounds Of. Dan roberts there was something about running up the stairs and hearing him do a sprite read and you can just feel the energy and the tempo and the build up to. The game it's there's so many little things you could never even know. UNTIL it i mean it would take me an hour to break it. All down that made him the best IN. The nba he could feel out that every single night the crowd had a, different vibe feel the game did it and he would have the perfect way to use his voice and his. Energy perfectly he was Never like i'm just gonna be this way all. The, time no he could feel. It out so when he did the college games that were there and maybe there was a lighter crowd or. More energetic i've never seen anybody perfect that better. Than him there will never be anybody IN the nba better, than him because he had a sense.
Speaker 1: That nobody else. Will HAVE and i tried not.
Speaker 7: To, replicate him but to learn that piece of. The, art SURE and i FELT like i knew something, of it but, his level it wasn't just the experience me had it in his, earlier years, the, voice obviously but it was he had more SKILL than i think anybody could ever give him. Credit, for so if you understand the art of public, address announcing you realized. His skill and so HE and i had plenty of conversations, about that and there was nothing. Like it, Last thing, I'LL say i was supposed to host this big thing for him for a. Milestone game still have the, voice voicemail.
Speaker 1: And he called Me. Out parks This, is roberts blah.
Speaker 7: Blah blah i'm supposed to talk to you about some leaping huha coming. Up, TOMORROW look i don't want, ANY bs i don't want any. Of this just keep, it simple make, the announcement make sure everybody knows HOW much i, appreciate him and let's move to.
Speaker 1: THE game i. Love, it, look man you've got a flight to. Catch YEP so i appreciate. YOUR time SLBs Dot, com, YAH yep SLBs, dot com, go there get. Your tickets plenty of great fireworks nights. Coming up check us out at The new Ballpark At America. First square great to, see him, My Guy tony parks twenty. Minutes away twenty minutes from, right now we will learn Where The utah jazz will draft coming up IN The nba Draft on june the twenty fifth Round one june the Twenty. Fifth round two is the. Twenty sixth it's a two day e, end now it has been for a couple. Of years we'll say. GOOD night a little, bit earlier we're going to send you OVER To espn radios live coverage OF Tonight's nba. Draft lottery just a little bit of a primer and a reminder of Where the jazz. Are at they have a fourteen percent chance of landing the number one, overall pick as Do the wizards And. The Hornets the pelicans have a twelve point five, percent chance the seventy six ers ten, point five nets, At nine raptors at seven. Point Five The San antonio spurs have a six percent chance of winning. Tonight's, Lottery porter what is the what is the reaction from the Basketball world if tonight's lottery is Revealed And san antonio has moved up To Draft cooper flag and put him Next to Victor, whom.
Speaker 3: Man they would kind of like officially be the most, fortunate team and not only the most fortunate but doing it well and timing. It well the fact that they went all out and tanked not just at any at, any point but to get tim duncan you Know The david. Robbinson stuff all of it has happened in a time frame where you got to tip your cap. To him but also if it worked to go down like, that tonight there is a large share of luck maybe if, you want, but man it's an organizations put themselves in the right position at the.
Speaker 1: Right times i'll say That the jazz also are guaranteed of a top, five pick which is really really. Good news they have a fifty two chance of staying in the. Top four the last time the team with the worst record IN the nba received the number one overall pick was six seven years, ago now When The phoenix suns had the twenty eighteen pick in. Twenty nineteen they have flattened the lottery yards and since, that day the worst team and the has not received the number one. Overall pick so we'll have to kind of see how it. Goes now but we are eighteen. Minutes away but who we got on. The desk We've Got, Shams sharani We've Got Jay Billis kendrick perkins somehow continues to. Stay employed i'll leave my opinion, off air Or maybe i've just brought it.
Speaker 2: On air.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to me that that dude keeps. A job, But whatever, All, right porter let me get your take, on this because we haven't talked to you. About This dynamic shams and some others on the intrawebs have reported that If the jazz do not get number, one tonight they will be very active to try to move up to. Number one now that's really nice, in theory but if you're Running The charlotte hornets And The washington wizards And the pelicans, or whatever it would take a lot to be the general manager Who Traded. Cooper flag if all of these scouts are right on their projections and he is a fifteen to EIGHTEEN year nba, superstar player what do you think that. Looks like let's say The j as fall the three, or, four yeah and they want to move up. To one what do you think it? Would, Take, YEAH man i don't KNOW if i see.
Speaker 3: THAT happening i don't KNOW if i really see any team moving off of the number one pick. THIS year i think if It, were charlotte you might have a little more luck than it if It. Were washington that's part of the, Variable too spencer's if it's Not, the jazz who, is it because that plays a part in if you were able to get a deal done, As well and then you have to also look at the other teams who have that kind, of Assets The Oklahoma city thunder and others who might be able to make a move to move up in the draft to get into the top two, or three which is really really where you want to be in twenty. Twenty five, YOU know i don't know that you you see that happen. This year but What the jazz have is as many assets as any team in the league to get into, Those, conversation spence and also get into other conversations as trade talks heat up around the, draft time because that's that's SOMETHING that i think we have to keep our. Eye on If the jazz Don't Get, cooper flag keep an eye on trades that Don't Involve cooper flag as well, this offseason Because the jazz could pivot a little bit and now acquire other young talent they could really shift off Of The jordan Clarkson's The, john collins the others that, you know expiring contracts and other to get involved in non.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Draft trades that's something that could very much happen during the draft.
Speaker 1: As well so let's kind of just review some of this stuff as far as how this could potentially. Go down the lottery Is, in chicago WHERE The Nba draft combine is also, Taking place So the jazz Along, with washington Along with charlotte with the best chance of landing the number one. Overall, pick now remember the lottery only determines one Through four five through fourteen is determined simply by inverse, of record so not every single slot IN The nba draft lottery is determined by this lottery as far as how it. Goes, down now again as a, reference earlier and this is important to keep.
Speaker 2: In MIND.
Speaker 1: And i usually just kind of err on the side of listening to scouts that analyze these prospects as their day to. Day job it didn't used to be, Like that like it's the media game has changed a little bit where there's so many people who specialize in, one element, one dynamic not even just. ONE sport, i mean in, college football the ecosystem. Is, wild LIKE if i want to talk About a utah football high, School recruit i'm going to listen to the recruiting services that have watched this kid play since he was fourteen. Or whatever i'm not going to try to analyze Some kid i've seen five or. Six times so when you read what the scouts have to say ABOUT The nba draft, THIS year i feel like most people believe it's a, four player, game changing franchise piece. Potential, draft, okay well the worst, case SCENARIO if i could just say the most obvious THING that i could say in, the microphone If the jazz fall to five, this year that's where, and Look Maybe trey johnson turns out to be a. Steal right but when you read about most of the rankings and most of, the analysis it's a one tier Draft With cooper flag at. The top AND then i think there are a lot. Of people, you know there are some media members and people that cover the league that really just try to zig when everyone else. Is zagging like When wembn yama, was available we'd have guests on The Show big hey kind Of like Scoot and, you're, like dude don't. DO that i don't think there's anybody who has been as Audacious About dylan harper as they Were About, scoot henderson who's a fine, young player but not near the game. Changing player the Victor woman yam is so one tier The top. Cooper flag he's on the tier. By HIMSELF but i do think there are a lot of people that seem To Believe dylan harper at two has a chance to be a game changing, franchise pillar and he does rem up so more AND more I Watched DYLAN harper i was watching some. Last night he does remind Me Of, kate COUNYINGHAM and i don't love the, comp THING but i do think it gives fans and folks that are just curious kind of an idea of what these players are gonna. Look Like so Cooper won dylan. AT two i think a lot of People Believe ace bailey is the third. Best prospect We had tom haberstraw on earlier that said he would Go. Vj edgecomb bless you say, Something intelligent, BLESS you.
Speaker 3: I, will Say while i'm not one who is Going to zeke while everyone, IS zagging i Do like harper really.
Speaker 1: Good defender you mentioned That The kate cunningham comp.
Speaker 3: Just kind of a prototype of what you want as a, wing scorer but doesn't dominate.
Speaker 1: The, BALL really i don't know if that's, smart enough but it was. Very intelligent and by, the way that's a huge UPSET that i only. SNEEZED once i, usually Like if, i'm sneezing you're getting three. Or four the FACT that i only had one there is a. Huge upset it's it's it's part of your. Your job you gotta get a it. On here, it's true but only had one. Sneeze, there anyway back TO what i, WAS saying i feel like If the jazz stay in the, top four they are going to get a player that the fan base is going to like. A Lot to porter's Point About, Dylan harper ace is, a project but man is he built exactly the way you want your MODERN day nba wing to. Be built and he's six ten, six eleven but he can. Handle it he's more of. A wing AND then byu FANS.
Speaker 2: Remember.
Speaker 1: Vj edgecomb he had a really good Game in provo. This year but then From everything, i've read at the least it appears that there's a drop off between four, And Five So, Cooper Flag, Dylan Harper ACE. Bailey vj edgecomb according to what most scouts seem to be reporting and, talking about are all are all players that you can get really. Excited about it's If the jazz fall to five tonight where the wind will just go out of. The, sales now of course you want one. Bottom line but as we talked about, earlier today the News That yannas Sante to cumbo is now willing to find a new place to Play And mark lasry are very. C owner he Owns A milwaukee bucks that has that's a good front, office there, you know good reputation for doing right by. Their players they'll work in. Lockstep together now at the end of, the day the job of the front office is too simply do what's right for the organization and do what's right for. The city but a Guy like giannis is different because He brought milwaukee their FIRST title i think in. Fifty, years okay so YOU know i drew the Parallel Between kevin garnett a little. Bit earlier Garnett gave minnesota a decade of, high quality, elite play and they could never surround him with the talent that he needed at his disposal of the. Win championship so he Went to, minnesota, SAID look i gave you, A decade i'd like to land with. A Contender danny ainge trades for Him, in boston and of course the rest. Is history that was a really good Team With paul Pierce And ray ALLEN. And kg this feels a little bit Similar where Yannis gave milwaukee twelve years brought them, a championship and still to, this day it's. DIFFERENT now i think with the habits that a lot of players have and the ability to take care of their body a little, bit Differently like lebron's played at a high level into, his FORTIES and i keep hearing, people, Say well yiannis's thirties run out. OF time i Don't think giannis is running out of time. At all with the way that dude takes care of, HIS body i think we Could see giannis play high level basketball for. Another DECADE so i bring it up because the teams that have been talked about today that could realistically make a Play for giannis are, very similar some of them at least to Where the jazz find themselves a rebuilding team with a compendium of, draft assets, clean books and some decent. Young players but nobody's talking About the jazz as an option because you hear Teams Like oklahoma City And san Antonio, and houston teams with some draft capital but also. Good Players because milwaukee's GONNA want i use this, hypothetical EARLIER and i actually do think you. Consider It jalen williams Chat hoolm grin four or five Picks. For giannis then You put giannis Next to shay for, a Decade And oklahoma city would be even more impossible than they are. Right Now the jazz do not have the package to match what other teams could Offer. For, yiannis unless in ten minutes from, right now the lottery luck goes, their way the ping pong balls bounce the way they, need to And the jazz get number, one overall then you can enter into Conversations for Jannis or Durant or booker. Or whoever so ten, Minutes, away porter let's get out of here before we say a. Good night what comes our way Out of tuesday edition of.
Speaker 3: The, show, yeah man On a, tuesday show, of course we will react TO The nba, Draft Lottery, Andy larson he'll be LIVE The nba combine. As well tim McMahon stops by FOR The Nba daily assist an Hour With Richard, Smitty smith.
Speaker 1: So a lot, of basketball a lot.
Speaker 4: Of.
Speaker 3: Jazz offseason we'll Chat with limitale all poly campus and college football, as well but all hoops as. We react the draft, lottery next And the Knicks and celtics, after that