Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy crap, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know who the hell we think when we are get off our show. Idiots.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing to tailt.
Speaker 1: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, let's get it started.
Speaker 4: Welcome in Happy Monday, Coffee and Company, Fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety feels good saying that only only nine more times will I be saying that to start a show, which is kind of crazy to say. But that's, uh, that's where we are. Because next week, a week from today, is the holiday.
Speaker 3: Right, that's like is that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's that seems off. It's you know, it seems like it's early. I don't know why, but uh yeah, so we'll have a holiday next Monday.
Speaker 6: But uh, like it's been a while since we've had a holiday. A day off, yeah, a company day.
Speaker 4: Off, yep, long weekend and man, doesn't it just feel like that's the that's the weekend that gets the summer started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 4: I would imagine I've never been a pool owner, but if you have a pool, maybe you already have it up and run and you have it open, but I feel like you always want to target to have it.
Speaker 3: Open by by Memorial Day weekend, and it's.
Speaker 5: Usually the where the parties happen.
Speaker 4: And I mean it's the unofficial start to the summer. I know, technically they'll tell us that summer starts on a specific date and it has.
Speaker 5: Some record to thee.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and it has and it has since the beginning of time. But uh no, I uh, I'll tell you what I'm I'm excited and cannot wait to get the summer started. And I'm excited for the these next two weeks. So for those who missed it, and I'm not gonna spend nearly as much time on it today as I did last Friday. But maybe people weren't listening on Friday. Maybe somebody listens only on Mondays. I don't know your schedule. You know it is what it is. But starting June second, I will I will be moving to a different station within our family here of iHeart Louisville. I'll be moving to News Radio eight forty whas stepping in to to host Kentucky and His Morning News as Tony Cruz is set to retire. I'll be joining Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, John Shannon, that great crew. That's that's been in place for quite some time now. So again when I mentioned there's only this many shows left and we're really gonna make the most of the time left, that's here. That is what I'm referring to. And you know, if you missed the show Friday, you can go back and listen to the podcast. Each hour will start with me kind of sharing that news, and it's not super repetitive, but you know that is. That is what I'm referring to. So to keep people from saying, you know, what the hell is he talking about? That, that's in fact what it is. So in all seriousness, I am looking forward to whatever the hell happens in these next two weeks, because you know, I always try to my best every day to to you know, have a fun show and keep you guys listening and hopefully however much time you're able to give us you you walk away thinking, you know what, Nick and Austin weren't so bad. I'm a I'm a tune in tomorrow as well. I mean, I hope that's the way, uh the experience works out for you. But we're gonna have some fun. Like I don't really have any big plans as far as how how we finish, but uh, you know, the goal is always to make the most of it and uh have some fun. And I do have next week a couple of things I want to try to make sure I do as it'll be, you know, the last week. But uh, yeah, that's uh, that's the news that if you didn't hear Friday, that's that's what it is. So back to you know what we typically do here talk sports. Actually, let me let me back up just a second. I'll tell you what I Uh, I'd be foolish not to mention what has happened in our state. And I've throughout the last I don't know, half year or so. You know, I've made reference. And it's not as if I'm saying it in a joking way, but you know you've heard me say, Man, Mother Nature's not been too kind to us when it comes to this state of Kentucky, the city of Louisville specifically, meaning because that's where we live. Obviously that's the majority of our audience is in the Kentucky and area. But man, it really is the entire state of Kentucky that has just had absolute tragic weather. I mean, we knew that the storms were coming in on Friday, we knew that they were severe, and I mean, I don't think you ever think to yourself, well, I wonder what the total is going to be as far as the you know, those who end up you know, those who end up passing away losing their life. I mean, that's a that's an awful thing to ever like think about before it happens, because who.
Speaker 3: Would do that, right?
Speaker 4: But that's that's in fact what has taken place. I mean we've had I believe a total now of I think nineteen killed in Kentucky with the tornado. They're still searching for survivors. The footage of the area that was hit, specifically in Laurel County, I mean, I kind of feel like it's something i've never I've never seen before, and I'm sure there are other storms that have had results that are similar or maybe worse as far as just the visual and I guess really that's just up to you to determine on your own end. But the area, the neighborhood that has you know, I don't know how many houses, but I mean it's not just as if you can tell a storm came through and did some damage. It's completely wiped out. I mean Saturday morning seeing I guess the first drone footage that went viral, I mean it was, I mean, it it'll almost you know, it's crushing and then you know, I mean I knew this, this is this is something you probably don't think about. But then when you hear people hear from people who have been able to actually see it up close, they'll tell you, not surprisingly, that it's actually worse than you would imagine.
Speaker 3: And I mean I get it.
Speaker 4: I mean I've not ever seen destruction quite like that from a tornado and to see what it's done to, you know, a house that a family has called their home for however many years, and now it's just completely demolished, and some people are are now dead because of this, and they're still trying to track down survivors. I mean, it's just it's an absolutely tragic situation that you know, it'll be remembered for a long time. And when you consider the flooding that's taken place, the severe winter that we had, I mean, it's just been it's been a rough go. And you also, in times like this, you are reminded of something that we probably you know, need to be reminded of more often than we are, and that is that there are really really good people that just want to help, and the amount of folks that are just showing up to try to do whatever they can to help people. You know, obviously, I'm sure a lot of money has already been raised to go to those who are gonna certainly need it, but also just people showing up like, hey, what can I do to help? And I thought it was really good of the KSR crew this morning to to be on site for their show right near where you know, it was most devastating, and have local folks that are that are you know, part of that community, government officials and whatnot that are that are letting you know how you can help. And you know, I think some people just want to show up and you know, their heart's in the right place. They really want to in a big way to help. However, you know, you just don't know, like maybe it's a little overwhelming of people to just show up. So again, I mean, I would continue if you want to help, there's certain ways you can you can learn as to what would be the best way to to help, because again, it probably changes, right like they may run into in you know, a few days that maybe something that they didn't they didn't necessarily you know, need at that time right now, Maybe they're going to need it in a few days. But have you seen Austin some the some of the footage of just how devastating it is. Yeah, it's it feels gross comparing like other storms and what it's done. But I think it's also kind of human nature, like the neighborhood specifically, and I think it's bigger than just your standard neighborhood. But where it really seemed to do its most damage. I mean it it's it's not just wow, it really damaged. I mean it completely wiped out so many people's homes.
Speaker 6: And stuff that has just like been thrown onto cars I've seen and just like.
Speaker 5: It feels, I wouldn't say.
Speaker 6: I don't know, maybe it does feel a little bit unsettling just because a lot had a lot of destruction has happened to the state and just this year, and that's something that I feel like we haven't seen on a regular basis, and it's it's just been really ramped up this year. And it's I mean, I don't know. For the longest time, I just thought that we were immune to it. Right, we haven't had a tornado hit Kentucky and forever. I remember there was that big one in eastern Kentucky years ago, but like there's been a few of them this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I don't know.
Speaker 4: I I don't know if this is I don't think this is like inhumane or anything like that. But it's when I look at some of the pictures and against some of the video footage, you know, my mind does go to, well, if you're in that home, there's no way you survived, and that makes me feel like again, like I'm like, that's a sick and twisted way to to to look at it. But I'm sure I'm not the only one, but like you're not. It's you're not used to seeing a residential area that you know, for however many years people called it their home. You know kids probably play on that street. You see somebody's backyard that they probably had, you know, cookouts, and you know it's it's your home, and it's one thing to lose your home, but to have people, you know, I mean lose their lives.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's mother Nature can be you know, there's.
Speaker 4: She can be a real uh, she can be devastating. And there's certain things that you know, weather can get in the way, whether can impact your events that you want to do, whether it can impact a lot of things. But when something weather related takes someone's life, like it really is a completely different situation in every aspect to where like has me thinking, like, no matter what happens weather related, whether it be.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't live anywhere where a hurricane would happen, but whatever the hurricane, flooding, tornadoes, you know, I guess cold weather to where it can freeze things, to where you know you don't have any resource for heat, like whatever it is, I mean like if you can still keep yourself safe, keep your loved ones safe. I mean I feel like these are the kind of things that make me make me at least be able to hope that if there ever is a situation to where I lose my home or there's crazy damage or you know, just something really really bad, but everybody in my life is safe, and really everybody's safe, Like whenever there's a rare situation where you you look back and think, man, that's insane that this type of damage took place and yet nobody lost the life, Like think I'm seeing the situation that unfolded this weekend, specifically Friday. I mean, that's that's what makes you really realize that, you know, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I to just know that people lost loved ones and of course lost everything because of this. I don't know how it can't make you learn to appreciate what you have a little bit more so.
Speaker 3: I uh, yeah, I've.
Speaker 4: Thought some prayers to everybody affected. I mean that I feel like the eastern part of Kentucky has been has been hit harder than really any part of this state. And I'm not sure what the extent of storm damage is. Hurricane hurricanes, tornadoes, whatever it is. It's not something I keep up with year round. I'm not It's not something that I'm you know, super interested in it just going in and looking at I'm more of a hey, how does it impact me, which I you know, I think that's what a lot of how a lot of folks are. But man, it is, Uh, it's devastating, and I I'm kind of the point now where I really I really feel like looking at it like it just puts me in a bad spot. But it also again I guess it'll make you appreciate what it is that you actually have. But yeah, it wasn't just Kentucky by the way. I think there's up to thirty people overall. Obviously the state of Missouri got hit pretty bad.
Speaker 5: So oh yeah, those videos are pretty nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I feel like, more often than not if I see and I guess there are certain parts of the country that are much more prone to getting hit with tornadoes that can be really devastating. In Missouri has always seemed to be one that has had some real devastation when it comes to that kind of stuff. So yeah, at least I think it's nineteen people now in the state of Kentucky have been confirmed dead from this, and throughout five states in the South and Midwest. It was really just Friday night and just absolutely devastating, and again, I don't know what to compare it to, and it feels gross comparing it. As I mentioned, but when you're just scrolling through one of your social media platforms and you're seeing and you know, may there it be Facebook reels or Instagram reels or TikTok whatever it may be Instagram, you know, you see someone who had their phone out videoing certain things, and you know, like, I don't know, I guess what I'm getting at as I'm spending my wheels here. I'm not to the point where it's almost like uncomfortable to like look at because I feel like, although I'm interested, like I can't look away. It's like I don't know, I just it's been these kind of things. The devastation total here is is it puts me in a spot to where I hope that I learned to appreciate everything I have in life, because you can you can just all of a sudden lose at all, lose a loved one, lose your life with things like this. So yeah, thoughts and prayers to everybody, everybody involved. Alread again, it is coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me Austin Montgomery alongside today as we take you up until six o'clock. You can take us with you wherever you want to go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. We'll be all over the place today. We do some big news that I was not expecting to be on the list of things to discuss today, but certainly, when Louisville basketball adds a new player to the roster for the upcoming season, that's certainly something we've got to discuss. However, I will admit to you not a name I'd ever heard of, other than seeing that he is somebody that has in fact committed to Louisville. So Mohammed Kamara from Senegal, a six to eight big man, is going to be a Louisville cardinal least twenty years old. And again, I'm just going to read for you what I know about him, what I have read about him, you know, in the last couple of hours, because maybe there are some that did have some real insight to this recruitment and we're aware of it. But I'm willing to be transparent and honest with you.
Speaker 3: I don't have a.
Speaker 4: Clue who this is, but if Pat Kelsey believes that he's somebody that can help this team, then you know that's good news. But again, he's six', eight he comes from THE Nba Academy africa and average ten point seven, boards three and a half a cis two point eight, steals two and a half blocks per game at The, academy shot thirty seven percent from. Three so this tells me that they are just trying to add some more presents in the front. COURT i, mean obviously you did Lose James, scott which WAS i, MEAN i don't know if any any loss can be considered like an unexpected loss in the portal, era because there are certain guys that will surprise you more than others if they do decide to, leave and that's WHAT i Think James scott. Was but, overall like guys hitting the portal, like that's just now the way things. Go so when it, happens you got to be. Prepared and With James scott off the board and now at, all, MISS i don't know IF i would say That kamara is his, replacement but they've now added a piece in the front court after losing, one and they're still up in the air obviously With Ali, khalifa.
Speaker 3: So we'll see sort of how his appeal process.
Speaker 5: Goes.
Speaker 3: Again the biggest issue there is there's no. TIMETABLE i, mean n is.
Speaker 4: Douaa they've probably been made aware That louisville is going to appeal this, decision And Ali khalifa has hired an. Attorney but as far as like when they get an, update as far as the appeal being a success or a, failure you, know it's it's anybody's guests as far as when you get, that when you get that. Information Also Scotty, schffler the winner of THE Pga, championship and anybody who is surprised that there was some level of like coverage of this in you, know with with a mention or a reference to what happened last year at THE Pga championship In louisville with him getting, Arrested like you shouldn't have been. Surprised that was a. Given but we can certainly get into that because you gotta wonder how long is that going to be out? There like With Scotty, scheffler that is such a wild thing to happen to somebody who you, know is a professional golfer on his way to participate in THE Pga, championship that it's not just going to go. Away but like if he stays, dominant because he's a really really good, golfer very. Successful you don't have to follow. GOLF i don't follow golf that closely really at, all but clearly he's one of the top golfers in the world right, now and he's been on a hell of a run in the last couple of, years it seems maybe even. Longer but if he keeps keeps it, rolling will be arrest In louisville still find its way to be? Mentioned or is it more so just because he you, know he won the event a year later after bage arrested on his way to the, event you, know the prior.
Speaker 3: Year, like maybe that's.
Speaker 5: It BUT i was just.
Speaker 6: About to, ask what do you think is? Cool what do you think would have been cooler him winning it at the time right after being, arrested or just the year of his. Anniversary but obviously you, know doing it after he just got out of after they just opened up the clink for, Him.
Speaker 3: Oh that would have been a bigger. Story, yeah and that would have been.
Speaker 4: TRULY i mean it already is kind of a maid for a movie, story, Right like it's got some Happy gilmore element to. It but had he won it during while that, happened like that would have BEEN i kind of feel like. It you, know maybe this is just an exaggeration and we'll never, know but, LIKE i kind of feel like it would have been an old time memory in, golf just because it's so unlike any other story you can think of when it comes to, golf the gentleman's, game and you, know THE Pga championship such a prestigious. Event but, YEAH i kind of feel like we're.
Speaker 5: Gonna for a wild.
Speaker 4: Week, yeah we're gonna be living with that one for for a. While that's gonna be a tough one FOR lmpd to just completely dissolve themselves. From so we can certainly get into. That, ALSO nba, playoffs we now have The Eastern Conference finals in The Western Conference finals. Set i'll continue to say THE nba the, POSTSEASON i, think despite still getting some big blowout losses like we saw yesterday with The thunder running away with it against the the the The NUGGETS i still think overall the playoffs have been better this year than what we typically. Get, now, again the. Blowouts thirty point wins In game seven is not ideal for anybody under any. Circumstance and that is actually something that has been happening for a while to where you'll get get, you you will get series that'll that'll be competitive when it comes to the to the series, lead but the actual games in between are, blowouts and that's just that's just not. Good, again it's better than having four blowouts in somebody winning a series four, Zero but Like game, seven they're supposed to be really, competitive and we we haven't really got that aspect of. It and that's that's you, KNOW i Guess bakers can't be choosers because AGAIN i think THE Nba PLAYOFFS i crushed them before they, started But i've been more entertained by it THAN i. Anticipated SO i we'll, see, uh we'll see how it plays out with These Eastern conference In Western conference. Finals but we now have both sides said it's gonna be THE okc thunder in the minnesot At timberwolves in The west and My pacers taken on The New York knicks and that'll start On wednesday.
Speaker 6: Night so exciting. STUFF i like Your pacers chances me. TOO i think they're gonna beat The.
Speaker 4: KNICKS i think THEY'RE i think they're a better. TEAM i will say they need to be a better team than they were a year, ago which AGAIN i believe they are because last year when they beat The, knicks The knicks were not fully they weren't at full strength at that, time and this, year you, know they're, uh you.
Speaker 3: KNOW i think it should be a really good.
Speaker 4: Series BUT i just, think, man The, PACERS i, mean if you look at how good they've been in the, PLAYOFFS i mean they should beat The. KNICKS i mean THEY i know The cavs had their own issues with injuries early on that, series BUT i Mean indiana's kind of dominated the. Postseason, again it's The Eastern, conference AND i know that The Eastern conference isn't necessarily, loaded BUT i, mean.
Speaker 3: What they did to The, caves what they did to The, BUCKS.
Speaker 4: I, mean they've got a lot of confidence and they're built to not do what they did against The caves in that final game of that, series where they scored what eighty points in the in the in the in the first, half like that's that's not sustainable or something that you would ever expect anybody to do on a consistent. Basis, however they're built to where they are oftentimes going to have five guys on the floor that if they get a clean look in rhythm and they let it rip and it goes in, like nobody's gonna be surprised that They've they've built their team to do exactly, that AND i think it's gonna be tough For New york to. Stop but Obviously Jalen brunson's a hell of a. Gamer Karl Anthony, towns he's kind of become the punching bag of THE nba on social.
Speaker 3: Media but he's still a really good.
Speaker 4: Player and then they've got guys Like Josh, hart WHO i, think you, know does a lot of the dirty.
Speaker 3: Work not a guy that maybe will be viewed as a star quite like A, bridge's but he's really really.
Speaker 4: Valuable so The knicks are going to be a tough, out but, MAN i would love beating, them not only Because i'd love to see My pacers get back to the, finals But i'd love to beat The.
Speaker 3: Knicks there's a rivalry factor. THERE i think The KNICKS D miller is going to be calling all the.
Speaker 4: Games OH i can't, WAIT i Can't and, sure here's What AND i KNOW i said this to you last time we talked about, it but like last, year The knicks got so, cocky they got so ahead of themselves because you, know they are a front running. Franchise their, players to, ME i, think for the most, part are are fairly. Likable LIKE i Respect Jalen brunson a. LOT i don't like The knicks never really, have probably never. Will but LIKE i don't think their team as far as the individuals are really. Unlikable but like you, know they're, fans they're pretty. UNLIKABLE i. Think now, AGAIN i think it's also good when they're good because they are a big. Market and as much as that may irritate, PEOPLE i think there is clear there's like here's what could happen if it's The thunder and The pacers in the. FINALS i think it'll be In. Heering i'll enjoy. It that would be a nightmare scenario for THE nba as far as viewership because of those two. Markets to where like if you thought there was an issue with you, know the lottery being rigged, Before LIKE i think they'll get viewership that is so underwhelming if it's those two teams, that, like it'll be a real eye opener for anybody who, claims, yeah the big market teams don't. MATTER i wish they, didn't but they do So, anyways with The knicks last, year like they were so cocky they Had game, seven they could close it out on their home court in the garden in The Eastern Conference, semis and they got routed by my pacers and they got, humbled and like it never became like everybody just forgot about it because you're not surprised that's what The knicks. Do when's the last time The knicks did anything? Good as The knicks ever went to the finals outside of that one year With ewing When jordan retired briefly like The knicks.
Speaker 5: At the one where he missed the easy finger Roll, ewing.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah had to be because again they had been there many times in my in our. Lifetime SO i, Uh i'm and you, know we'll. SEE i don't want TO i don't want to set the bar too high for myself because THEN i don't want to be. Underwhelmed BUT i know last year when these two teams played in The Eastern, conference Semis, MAN i was into it in a way THAT i hadn't been into THE nba in a long, time and it was. Exciting it was a lot of. Fun and we'll see if that's you, know that's how it plays out.
Speaker 5: Here and you know, WHAT i can't really.
Speaker 6: Like one thing THAT i always hate in, sports regardless of what sport it, is is like in this case The, knicks is when someone says the, league THE nba is just so much better when When New york is good when they're in, it And i'm, like is it REALLY i, mean people are just gonna make fun of them regardless because they're a big. MARKET i, mean look at look like on THE mlb front or something like, that like The. Mets, ever THE mlb is always better when Both New york teams are, Running LIKE i, mean it's has THE mlb really been better just because of The mets or that THE nfl is really more interesting when The cowboys are in, it and you, know when they're in, it they usually always, choke and when they, suck it's still fun to talk about out so, like is it really making it like, Better is The knicks being good really making THE nba?
Speaker 4: BETTER i think that's a great. QUESTION i want to get right to that on the other, side BECAUSE i think there's a good reason for people to say, it BUT i think the reason behind.
Speaker 3: Like there needs to be a better way to deliver that.
Speaker 4: Information because, yes it is better for THE nba if big brands with big viewership are, alive because you, know that leads to more more interest because again they happen to have a humongous fan. Base but those that just, say you, know THE nba or THE mlb or even like college, basketball they really need this franchise or this program to be good or, Else that's that's where it's not. True so we can get to that in a lot more way too long. Here if, Anything i'm gonna be. Consistent. Guys i'm twenty five minutes in WHEN i should have been out ten minutes ago for our first. Break so you, know, again consistency never good at managing the. Clock and why start, now? Right, yeah why start? Now It's Nick coffee and alste mcgu it's, right It's Nick coffee And Austa. Montgomery right to Hear coffee And company fuel About thorton's On Sports talk seven.
Speaker 2: Ninety now back to coffee And company fueled By thornton's On Sports talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Day members of The Refreshing awards program At, thornton's they know they're saving money at the pump every, time including once per. Week you can get up to twenty five cents off per, gallon so make sure you make sure you take. Advantage also keep their breakfast items in. Mind they've got a lot of. Options when it comes to, breakfast you really can't go. Wrong BUT i know they are really happy to have the bakery back open where they're cranking out, fresh fresh doughnuts that are absolutely. Delicious so make sure you stop in really. Anytime but AGAIN i recommend them for breakfast because no better way to start your day than At. Thornton's you can fuel up and also load up breakfast. OPTIONS i always make sure WHEN i stop In i'm Getting i'm taking. Advantage i'm taking advantage Of thornton's because they're allowing me.
Speaker 3: TO i feel LIKE i wom.
Speaker 4: Apology but for a WHILE i was getting four of The Monster energy drinks for seven, bucks which is a. Steal Now i'm getting three of them for seven, bucks which is certainly a, deal maybe even a steal as, well because that's a lot less than you're paying when you get them probably.
Speaker 3: ANYWHERE i can't guarantee, that BUT.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be shocked, if in fact they're offering a deal that nobody else does because they're, Great They're. Thornton so we are fuel About thornton's Here coffee And company On Sports talk seven ninety Nit. Coffee that's Me Austin montgomery alongside. Today and he mentioned something towards the end of our first segment in regards to the saying out there when it comes to bigger brands in college, sports AND i guess bigger markets and pro sports that you, know everything is better in certain league or certain sport at the college level when those teams are.
Speaker 3: Better and if you.
Speaker 4: Think about, it THE nba or whoever you know truly benefits for college football or college basketball, succeeding like they would be a liar if they told you that things weren't better are when certain franchises or certain programs are, successful because for, example like The New York, knicks they have a lot a lot of, fans they're they're kind of a national.
Speaker 3: Team they're not like The yankees In New. York BUT i mean The.
Speaker 4: Knicks they've got a lot of, fans which they're loyal, fans because The knicks have never really been good in my, lifetime at least not. CONSISTENTLY i, MEAN i guess they've had years where they were good in certain, instances but LIKE i don't, remember Like Carl mello never made THE Nba, finals did? HE i don't remember him ever playing in the. Finals, oh actually he, did but he was In, DENVER i. BELIEVE i, mean didn't they lose to? Somebody, no they never could get Past. Kobe that's. Right they had some good teams. There like his best teams he played for was Not New. York it was When denver was.
Speaker 3: Rolling.
Speaker 4: Yeah so, Yeah Chauncey, Billups Marcus, Camby George Carl oh, yeah Big NANE i remember. Him so, anyways you, know there are really two conversations to. This one, is, yeah it's better for the league when more people, Watch when the programs or the franchises that have the biggest reach because of their fan, base the longer they are alive in your, postseason and the better they are. Overall the more likelihood you have of getting a humongous fan base, watching which is good for the. Sport so, AGAIN i think it's two things to say that THE nba is better when The knicks are. Good it is when it comes to just reaching the amount of people you can when those teams are. Good and anybody who told you that that doesn't matter and that's not an objective is a. LIAR i, mean that's just the. TRUTH i, mean doesn't mean that they're rooting for that to. Happen but if, they if they internally are hopeful that you end up with a, like you, Know. Denver to, me if they'd have won, YESTERDAY i think it would have been better Than. Okac but like how much BETTER i don't, know you know WHAT i, Mean Like denver's a bigger market Than. Okac Clearly denver has a bigger market despite him not really being interested in embracing the role of. Superstar Nikole jokich is appointment viewing if you, really you, know think about. IT i, MEAN i can get why some maybe wouldn't care to watch THE nba or The, nuggets but, like if you like, BASKETBALL i wouldn't be shocked if you're somebody that wouldn't identify as A nets fan or maybe i'm, sorry A nuggets, fan or maybe even A jokic, fan but, like you like watching him play because he's just that. Good and there's also that weird element to where the way he looks visually he shouldn't be as good as he. Is it kind of makes you, know out of shape hefty guys feel, like you know, WHAT i may not look the, part BUT i might give him some buckets every now and then because look at this. GUY i, mean it's not really, that that's not. Reality you shouldn't assume that you're a better basketball player because of what he can, do but.
Speaker 3: You, know you get. It so let's say THE Ncaa.
Speaker 4: Tournament THE Ncaa tournament is a sixty eight team, event and there's no THERE'S i, mean it's maybe there are some scenarios when it comes to pairings in the tournament that they've set up to maybe give them a better likelihood of a good deep and big brand Filled sweet sixteen And lade eight and all, that but you really can't.
Speaker 3: Control you got to go out there and.
Speaker 4: Play so if THE ncublea like those, like let's just say somebody at the top of THE. Ncuba maybe it's That Charlie baker, guy or in a previous world was the other guy who was there.
Speaker 3: Forever that's Thunk, Emert is that his? Name Mark.
Speaker 4: EMMERT i can't Believe i'm forgetting the guy's name who was the punching bag for all college sports fans for so. Long Em, YEAH i think It's Mark, emmerate emirate either, way he's, Yeah, Mark Mark, emmert you were. CORRECT i was, Wrong, Sorry Mark. Emmert so, anyways he let's just say like his job was solely dependent upon a certain which would never be the, case but like if his if his job was specifically dependent upon a certain amount of viewers tuning in for THE ncaa, tournament that's how they justify his. Salary, well he would be a liar if he didn't say that he hoped that the final four Featured Kentucky Duke carolina In kansas because that gives them the better. Likelihood so it can be, that but not be like a, conspiracy you know What i'm, Saying like it's just common knowledge, that, yeah the better programs with bigger fan bases, historically if they make it deeper into the postseason and they're having. Success really at any point in the, season that is a preferable thing because it does in fact make the league more successful or make the sport more. Successful that's a different conversation than, well you, know they just need this, Program like The cowboys have not been good and done anything substantial in THE nfl and how. LONG i, mean when's the last time they flirted with A Super? Bowl have you been alive for, One, Austin i'm not, exaggerating.
Speaker 6: NO i think the closest that they've ever gotten WAS i thought they were going to possibly do it last year when that a twelve one season and my, God Dak prescott was like SECOND mvp, voting but they got blown.
Speaker 5: Out BUT i think think The, LIONS i.
Speaker 3: Mean that that's what they. DO i, mean that's that's that's what they.
Speaker 4: Do So i'm looking here at playoff, history and by the, WAY i don't THINK i, MEAN i could be, wrong and MAYBE i am BECAUSE i don't follow really baseball at, all BUT i think that The Dallas cowboys are the biggest brand In american professional, sports AND i don't think it's.
Speaker 3: Close maybe some would say The.
Speaker 4: YANKEES i WOULD i would be willing to be corrected if that's the, case because AGAIN i just don't follow baseball like.
Speaker 5: That, yeah probably probably has to be those two.
Speaker 4: Teams so The Dallas cowboys are always going to be talked. About that's always gonna. Happen but THE nfl has been a monster In american sports for a long long time and will continue to be an even bigger monster moving. Forward and The cowboys can stay being who they are a. Team they get so much talk because of their, brand their you, know their, reach but also like they've had no factor in THE nfl continuing to be a dominant monster In american sports because, again they haven't been very. GOOD i, mean you've got they've got past the wild. Card let's see three times in the last four times in The i'm, sorry three times in the last. Decade twenty, sixteen they played in the divisional round and lost to The. Packers twenty, eighteen they played in the divisional round and lost to The. Rams twenty twenty, one they lost in the wild card game to The. Niners twenty twenty, two they won in the wild card round against The, bucks and then they ended up losing the in the divisional round against The, niners and then in twenty twenty three they ended up getting routed by The packers in the in the wild card. Round so the last time they made it to a conference, championship.
Speaker 3: Which which which then led to.
Speaker 4: Them getting to a Super bowl in winning that was in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Five were you born?
Speaker 5: Old?
Speaker 3: Yeah, SO i mean.
Speaker 4: They haven't got to a conference championship since ninety. Five so, therefore, again THE nfl doesn't need The cowboys to do anything other than just, exist because they can exist and be, awful or exist and be, decent or exist and be. Good but that's been a long time coming as far as them being like a threat to win at, all and THE nfl is going to continue to. Grow so that's WHERE i think there is like, that, like for, Example louisville. Basketball college basketball is better When louisville's really. Good you know, why because we have a huge fan. BASE i, mean we're not the biggest fan, base but we're also sort of you, know we're clearly in the top ten really in every. ASPECT i would say when it comes to historically things that really add up to how you qualify who really matters in the. Sport you, KNOW i think top, seven top eight, realistically but certainly top.
Speaker 3: TEN i, mean even when we sucked major in a major.
Speaker 4: WAY i guess with the last you, know nine, SHOWS i was about to just FORGET i was on the. Radio there's THINGS i can't, say but like even when we Had Kittie, payne, terrible but yet we still as far as, revenue were up there and we were a talking, point and it was for a bad. Reason but like teams who suck that bad don't end up still being like somewhat in the news wire throughout a college basketball, season unless you know it's such a, surprise like can you believe this team's that? Bad like this Is, louisville this is one of the bigger. Brands so if we just stayed, terrible college basketball would be, fine because they don't Need louisville in order for the sport to be. Successful but that's not the same as saying that they're better. Off now how much better? OFF i don't, Know but anybody who was looking out for the greater good of college, basketball or the greater good of really any, sport what would be lying to you if they said that there's nothing beneficial by the bigger brands and the bigger teams being really.
Speaker 3: Good you, know it's.
Speaker 4: Not a WELL i guess we got a close up shop because this team's really struggling and there's no point and you, know even existing if this team and their fans aren't into. It and by the, way The cowboys are the best example of that that you will ever.
Speaker 3: Find they've not been.
Speaker 4: Relevant and again there have been years where they're good and they just completely underwhelmed in the, postseason and that. Happens it's really kind of been what their brand has been when they but there's also years where they're not good at. All, Right, like there's been plenty of years where they're just you, know they're bad or they're. MID i, MEAN i could think of maybe two seasons that when they did lose in the, playoffs it wasn't a surprise for one, aspect because you're, thinking, like you, know, well it's The. Cowboys what do you expect they'll Choke romo w choke it, again Or dackle choke Or mike McCarthy Or garrett whatever.
Speaker 5: Or Does bryant will catch it or exactly.
Speaker 4: Exactly but then there's also been years where, like, yeah they lost in the postseason and they got to the wild, card but like that result is pretty on, point probably what a lot of folks. Expected SO i think THE nba would be lying to you and they would never say, it because that's not how you run a. League like you can't tell, yeah you, know we really didn't want The pacers to get to the. Finals we really did not also want OK c to be, here but you, know we'll make the most of. It they'd never say. It but like some things don't need to be. Said it's it's rather.
Speaker 3: Obvious.
Speaker 4: Now another thing that's rather obvious IS i give you a little tease here before we hit the last segment of the three o'clock. Hour THE wnba Without Kaitlyn clark would would maybe not need to exist. Anymore oh, YEAH i hate saying, that but like when it comes to who and what, program what franchise is needed for the you, know for the sustainability of a, league, like say what you want about THE. Wnba The Kaitlyn Clark Angel rees thing has, absolutely absolutely added an element that THE wnba has never had. Before And i'm not sure how sustainable it is long, term BUT i, mean there is now interest and coverage to a sport that has never been there before and clearly would not be there now without this one individual by the name Of Kitlyn. Clark and we'll talk a little bit about what happened over the. WEEKEND I i'm not one for, conspiracies but the OLDER i, get the MORE i KIND i kind of lean into them a little. Bit AND i actually start a little, late THOUGH i KNOW i am start real, late But i'm Gonna i'll get into WHAT i have on the other side about this whole. Situation keep a lot right here On Sports talk seven.
Speaker 2: Ninety now back to coffee and, company fueled By thornton's On Sports talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Dy AS i come upon MY i guess this is My after, today there'll be only eight more shows left here for me On Sports talk seven Ninety AND i THINK i might have done something for the first time ever as we just exited from our second segment here in the three o'clock, hour and that was tease a W nba, Topic, like, hey stick.
Speaker 3: Around we're going to talk about something from THE.
Speaker 4: Wnba AND i don't say that's poke, fun but you know WHAT i, mean, Right like it's just. NOT i, mean even if THE wnba was vastly more successful than it is as far as interest in, viewership it probably wouldn't necessarily be a regular thing that comes up within sports talk. RADIO i, mean Maybe i'm, wrong BUT i don't Think i'm saying anything out of line. Here But Caitlin clark has certainly, become in my, opinion just my, opinion she's the best women's basketball player That i've ever. Watched And i'm not sure it's. CLOSE i, MEAN i know some will, say you, know players that played, long long, ago even before there was A, wnba AND i you, KNOW i can't speak.
Speaker 3: To that because that's WHY i said players That i've.
Speaker 4: Watched but she's she's so, good and she's clearly great for that league in a way that nobody else has ever, been and it's not even.
Speaker 3: Close that's really.
Speaker 4: Undeniable anybody claiming that like she doesn't help that league in a major way and provide value viewership, reach.
Speaker 3: That's that's not.
Speaker 4: Deniable anybody who would deny that is straight up. Delusional so WHAT i think actually makes it more entertaining and interest that even brings more people in is the element of the rivalry With Angel, reese and who would claim that they're not like.
Speaker 3: RIVALS i, MEAN i think both of. Them, WELL i.
Speaker 4: Didn't hear anything that angel had said after the situation On saturday Where Kaylen clark was called for a foul THAT i, mean it was a straight up foulue so you don't get free. Throws but obviously you know it was called a you, know, Flagrant but anybody WHO i Mean Kayln clark said its. Best that's literally what you're taught to do as a basketball, player men or. Women IF i know, That i've essentially found myself in a position Where i'm not going to be able to prevent two points from being. Scored i'm not going to be able to contest a shot really in any. Way you burn a foul and make a murdered that the free throw, line and you do it in a way to where you're keeping them from getting the shot off by committing a, foul but you're also not going to let, them you, know fall and get. Hurt and you know it turned into something, different and that's Not i'm not saying that That Angel reese.
Speaker 3: Was out of line sort of by her.
Speaker 4: REACTION i think it was it was viewed as, like what the hell's going on like, Meeting like why would she act like? That that was a clean, Foul like some people have viewed it that, way but, like you, know that's just, basketball and there's clearly a competitive rivalry between the. Two so, LIKE i don't really have ANY i, mean if, anything the call shouldn't have been called a flagrant by by how basketball has always been. Called But i'm not totally surprised that they, did AND i really don't have any kind of, like, Like i'm not bothered That Angel reese reacted the way that she did because to, me that's got to be like the last piece of evidence that's ever been needed to confirm, that like she, is this is a. Rivalry like here's what has really bothered me in sports is that there are there are times WHERE i guess athletes have become too cool to like embrace the. Rivalry like maybe you maybe you feel like if you acknowledge that their, arrival then you're acknowledging that they're on your mind and that you're giving them attention and they but like last tutche, rivalies that's a big part of what makes sports.
Speaker 3: Great And Angel.
Speaker 4: Reese there's no conversation that needs to be needs to happen for anybody debating if she's if she's as good of a, player it as valuable As Kaitlyn. Clark like that's honestly nonsense and unfair for people to still try to take that approach as if she's a better. Player but she's not getting the love That Caitlyn clark is getting for whatever reason they want to come up, with because that's just that's. Asinin that's not like that's somebody not on Planet.
Speaker 6: Earth, well and we talked about it, before and this could go back to relating to your, uh your pacers in The, knicks like their. RIVALRY i, mean, heck you've had you've Had brunson And halliburton's square off with each.
Speaker 5: Other yea and wwe but forgot about.
Speaker 6: That but it's it's everyone's friends now in the, league like everyone they follow each other on social. Media they're always doing stuff like outside of the outside of the. Court they're they're swapping, jerseys they're talking to each other after the, game just just mucking it. Up you don't see that much hatred. Anymore, Yeah AND i think there's there's layers as to why it's become that. WAY i think the culture of basketball really is that the circuit being what it is FOR aau and. Whatnot there's a good chance there's guys in THE nba that have known of one another for ten twelve years because they've honestly competed with each other from THE aau circuit at the national level since the time they were fourteen years, old to where you, know when you play that many games and you know your goal is to get to the, league and then you get, there like maybe the competitive edge has gone a little bit to where you, know you're just happy that you're. There but, NO i, MEAN i think society, really as it's, evolved has made it a little bit more difficult to, have like the TRUE i don't, KNOW i JUST i don't think rivalries are dead by any, Means but rivalries from a fan, PERSPECTIVE i think they are as strong as ever because we have access now at any point in our lives to get online and, battle you know WHAT i.
Speaker 3: Mean we used to have, that so you know we don't need to do it.
Speaker 4: Online we, do meaning the level In, Kentucky, ribberry but there's so many people that work at an employer where half the places loisvill fans have to play this As kentucky, fans and you, know you go back and forth and it's.
Speaker 3: Just part of the.
Speaker 4: Culture but in professional, sports you, know LIKE i think the, athletes they the way in which you come up now to become a pro, athlete you can be super, competitive but like you, know it just doesn't seem to be as. Natural for Like Michael jordan would manufacture a rival he would manufacture a reason that he's got to take something personal because he was, disrespected and none of that. Happened it was delusion if he was made up in his, mind but it was how he was. Competitive AND i just think if we would embrace rivalries and not act like we're too cool for, him not act like all we don't even care like it would it would help in every way when it comes to the overall, competitiveness.
Speaker 3: Which that's what this is all. About that's what sports. Is it's.
Speaker 4: Competing if something's not, COMPETITIVE i, mean it's only worth watching if in fact it's your team that's dominating and you're entertained because it's your team and you like the. Result but Like Lebron james And Steph curry refusing to acknowledge that they were. Rivals WHEN, Lamba lebron was in was In cleveland again for the second, time and The warriors were in the midst of their big.
Speaker 3: RUN i, Mean.
Speaker 4: Lebron james got off the plane In cleveland with the trophy wearing An Ultimate warriors. Jersey that's that's that's, like that's not a. Coincidence nobody would claim that it. Is SO i don't know why the you, know it didn't used to be that, way But angel can no longer claim that she's not like. That she, doesn't you, know feel some way About Caitlyn. Clark and it's, look that's okay if she, does and she's benefiting from.
Speaker 3: It, LIKE i don't mean to be.
Speaker 4: DISRESPECTFUL i don't think this is, Disrespectful but If Caitlyn clark didn't have this dynamic between, Her i'm, sorry If Angel rees did not have this dynamic between her And Kaitlyn.
Speaker 3: Clark she would be a pretty forgettable player in the W. Nba, like that's not that's not a that's that's just.
Speaker 4: Reality and, oh by the, way you know how she became such a she was a great player AT. Lsu they were at a national, championship so like she was notable. Then but you know why she was a big, time you, know celebrity after winning that title was because she went out of her way to walk up To Angel. Reese And i'm not to walk up To Kaitlyn clark and taunt. Her and, Look i'm not bringing that up now as if like that was. CLASSLESS i, mean it was kind of out of, nowhere but Like i'm not of the belief that she's actually from the beginning of this whole, thing utilize. This she, calms like somebody got in her, head, like, hey do whatever you. Can you're gonna be in THE wnba, regardless but do whatever you can to attach yourself To Kaitlyn clark because it's gonna be beneficial for you in every, way good or. Bad, NOW i think maybe if that was AND i don't know if that, happened but like they wouldn't shock me if she's wanted to continue to have this dynamic to where it's always gonna be in the news. Cycle BUT i think at times she wanted to play villain when she just got In Angel reese's, face she got In Kaitlyn clark's face and taunted her and was doing all kinds of hand gestures or. Whatever everybody remembers, that, right like that was a big. Deal that's what it all. Started, honestly did The ring thing?
Speaker 5: Too?
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly did The ring? Thing that's that exact encounter is What i'm referring. To and when all that, HAPPENED i, mean like it created its own life for. Itself and here we are many years later and it's still it's still hot and.
Speaker 3: Heavy and WHAT i don't.
Speaker 4: Like you, know she wants to play the villain until until it's until you are the villain and then you play. Victim but, again maybe that's all. Calculated maybe it's all part of this big strategy because you, know she's probably never gonna get the best of her as far as being a BETTER wnba player or really being a on a better. Team Maybe i'm, Wrong but, like this thing has been good for THE. Wnba that's not that's not me saying that THE wnba is great and everybody shoul watch. IT i, mean you can watch it if you, Want but this is the best thing that's ever happened in THE. Wnba when it comes to interest in. Viewership AND i don't really think it's. Debatable and there's a part of me that now thinks that maybe it was calculated in a, Way but you, Know i'm interested in, it, Right i'm not going to tune in BECAUSE i JUST i, MEAN i don't tune into a lot of LIVE nba, games even unless it's like my. Team but WHEN i, see, okay these two teams played each other and there's a clip or a story that's posted on some platform that, says you, know hard foul or you know they got into some kind of a contentious, Situation i'm clicking on. It AND i mean that doesn't mean a LOT thatt mean Like i'm. Invested i'm gonna go watch the next game they. Play but that's more Than i've ever done with THE. Wnba and, again THE, wnba AND i think college basketball at the women's level is a much better product than THE. Wnba AND i don't mean just the basketball the way it's. Played but like THE wnba, players they don't do themselves any favors as far as do you actually want people to watch your league or?
Speaker 3: Not do you want people to embrace it or?
Speaker 4: Not because they complain that there's more people that are that have you, know like, clearly more attention is going to be given to the person that is that is dominating interest level in your in your league for your. Employer so whenever that happens and then they play victim and claim that it's about favoritism or race or, whatever, like good luck getting more people to embrace your league when anytime they, do they're told by some players directly that they're not that we don't need, you we don't want you because all you want Is Kaitlyn. Clark, well, okay, FINE i MEAN i don't. Know it's JUST i find it interesting AND i never found myself in any way seeing myself interested to this level about anything related to THE. Wnba and Again i'm only talking about that league. SPECIFICALLY i won't lie to you and act LIKE i think you know THAT i watch a lot of women's college, basketball BUT i think it's a good. Product there's reason why it's grown substantially as far as viewership in THE Naa, tournament and a lot of that had to do With Kaitlyn clark And Angel reese and those teams and. Whatnot so, anyways let's get too a quick break. Again if, Anything i'm consistent terrible clock management, here but you know it is what it. Is keep it locked right here On Sports talk seven ninety