Speaker 1: Pentagon facing major questions tonight about reports of American sailors jumping overboard from the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has now been deployed in the Middle East for two hundred sixty six days. It's about nine months nine months deployed, two hundred and fifty of those days not even with a land stop. This is because they are in the middle of Trump's war with Iran, and that war is taking a toll on sailors aboard who've complained about not having enough food. They've literally gone hungry, and we've heard these complaints. The lack of basic necessities that includes toothpaste, deodorant, soap, and all of those things add up with an incredibly long deployment that keeps getting extended to dangerously low morale. There are five thousand American sailors on board, and sources tonight confirmed to CNN that at least one sailor did in fact go overboard earlier this month. That sailor was ultimately rescued. And that follows a shocking Military Times exclusive report, which we detailed on out Front last night, about multiple attempts by crew members to jump off the ship. One woman who has pride to jump, telling the Military Times he's scared. He thinks he'll get a dishonorable discharge and just because he was burnt out, his thirteen year career is ruined, just like that. But tonight, the Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth is denying the reports, saying they're simply untrue. Listen to what he told News Max when questioned about the reporting while traveling in Panama.
Speaker 2: Completely misrepresented. Because we make sure at every ship, every crew, every captain has everything we can provide them at every single moment.
Speaker 1: Well, that is not what our Pamela Brown, who was on board the USS Abraham Lincoln last month, heard from some sailors on board. Here's what they told her.
Speaker 2: Actually, I would say, we're all's pretty low, and not just in the division like I'm in the ship entirely.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Personally, what helps me is I go to the gym.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm I'm trying to better myself in every day.
Speaker 4: But it's hard.
Speaker 2: The food.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you heard the food was pretty bad.
Speaker 3: For a couple of months. We were surviving on not a lot, and it takes a lot.
Speaker 4: To push through, persevere, keep going you want. It gets hard.
Speaker 1: Well, you heard what he told Pam there that you heard about the food. There's a time there was not a lot. And in April the USA Today did publish a story about sailors on board going hungry. At the time, hag Seth dismissed those reports too, We called them fake news.
Speaker 4: But you just heard the crew member there.
Speaker 1: And it is therefore perhaps not a surprise that families with loved ones on board the USS Abraham Lincoln are privately warning each other not to speak out up front. Is learning from the Military Times and Natalie Olaverio, who broke all of this, that the families fear that if they reveal any more details about the disturbing conditions, it could result in punishment for their loved ones, which.
Speaker 4: Adds to the low morale aboard the Lincoln.
Speaker 1: But if you ask Defense Secretary heg Seth about his strategy for boosting morale, even though he denies that there's any problem whatsoever, I guess, to the extent he does address it, He's put out videos like this lifting weights, working out with US troops, talking about upping testosterone levels for social media, apparently in an effort to I guess, boost morale Natalie Olaverio, the Military Times Pentagon reporter. I mentioned her a few moments ago. She has been breaking all of these details on the USS Lincoln. She's also a Navy veteran, and Natalie, I'm glad to have you back, and I know you've got more information tonight. The Defense Secretary Pete hag Seth today though, says your report about poor conditions right you were talking specifically people you had spoken to who's loved ones had tried to jump overboard about the shortages of food and soap and basic materials deodorant. He calls it completely misrepresented. So I wanted to give you a chance to respond to what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me back, Aaron. It's great to be here, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond. It's not really me that he's responding to. It's the countless sailors who have reached out to Military Times and to other news outlets they trust with their organic photos. Parents who are sharing native chat sessions with their kids, spouses doing the same. These are not fabrications, they're not stretches at the truth. Like you mentioned back in April when the USA Today broke out pictures on the mess decks of what any American would quantify as an adequate nutrition for our service members and are all volunteer force of service members who are in extraordinary conditions right now. I think gaslighting our force is disrespectful and at a minimum, they deserve transparency and accountability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at a minimum, And you speak as a Navy veteran, of course, Natalie, so I guess in that context, I want to ask you about what hag said, what appears to be his strategy for booty morale, and of course he denies it's a problem, but to the extent you know that he's trying to motivate people, right there's the videos he's posting on social media where he's lifting weights there and he's working out with US troops, or he posted that post that of course you've seen about. You know, we're going to be testing testosterone and upping the testosterone.
Speaker 4: Levels for our force.
Speaker 1: How is all that landing with actual crew members and members of the Navy rockily?
Speaker 3: I think some service members are concerned because altering your hormones, they come with a host of issues that not everyone can predict, so not everyone is really riled up for more testosterone. There are a lot of service members who find it to be really contradictory and unfair in the face of rejecting gender affirming care and other areas of the military. But I can tell you from my experience that morale makes a difference on way morale has been planned for for decades, such as when you're.
Speaker 5: Out at sea for forty five days, you get to have two beers, you get to have a steel beach picnic where you put down the nets on the flight deck, maybe take a swim call, put on some music, get cozy on the non skid and just.
Speaker 3: You know, have some time to gather camaraderie. Yeah, it's combat operations. Maybe it's not sunshine and steel beach picnics, but we can do a whole lot better knowing that these morale milestones are the markers service members and sailors look forward to to get them through some of the most strenuous and difficult times underway.
Speaker 4: Senator, I appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Hagsath says today that these reports aboard the ship are completely misrepresented by the way. I'll just remind everybody that you know, for example, when it came to Trump getting off Air Force one and the catering car. You know, all that was completely denied as false too, and of course it was true. So you know, they deny things whether they're true or not. So it's hard to know. But he says, the troops have everything they need, even though, of course we've seen the images of inadequate food. You heard the sailor there speaking to our Pamela Brown. So do you believe anything that hag Seth is saying.
Speaker 2: Heggseth trying to characterize these powerful, credible reports as fake news is really a disservice and profoundly disrespectful to the sailors who are on the USS Abraham Lincoln and enduring these hardships. They are more than just quality of life threats. Lack of sufficient food, toothpaste, soap, hot water. Okay, that's quality of life maybe, but it affects morale and it exacerbates stress, which is reflected in that sailor going overboard. But anyone who's familiar with how an aircraft carrier operates knows that these jobs are highly su stressful, requiring stamina. As these fighter jets land on an area that looks like a postage stamp, as they begin their descent. And these sailors, whether they are on the deck or below doing mechanics, or at the surveillance systems fending off possible attacks, are all under tremendous dress and doing work that can be highly dangerous if they are either distracted or demoralized. So it's a real strategic issue. And remember also that there are reports now that the USS Washington is on its way to replace or relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln finally, after a record of two hundred plus days without even a port call, without setting foot on ground, well, the USS Washington is being taken away from its forward position in the Far East. So the endless war of impulse without strategy and exit plan is having a toll on our military readiness.