Speaker 1: What do you say after we record go out? Beer Forridge is stalked, It's loaded. I got some hard celts in there.
Speaker 2: That sounds cherry.
Speaker 1: Cherry, right, sounds cherry. That's cherry.
Speaker 2: Uh. Good, What a time to be alive. Let's think what five years ago, I Think you Should Leave didn't even exist, right, was it five? I don't know. We were not really privy to the Tim Robinson style of comedy. Of course, he was on SNL as a featured guy for a couple of years. He was in the writer's room. He came out with the Detroit Ters I think twenty seventeen vastly underappreciated. You know, I had heard of it and never seen it. Thank god to I Think you Should Leave, And thank god that Andrew DeYoung I think probably wrote this movie with Tim Robinson in mine. And obviously Tim Robinson would say yes to starring in a feature film. But it's incredible that Tim Robinson does not have a writing credit on the movie good, which is crazy to me because there's obviously a lot of improv going on. Wow, what a time to be alive?
Speaker 1: That humor is his exact style. Yeah, it's cherry. It's Cherry Mac. This movie also is about male companionship, making friends past the age of thirty, past the age of forty. I want to ask you, how many new friends have you made since turning thirty.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Not many, not many. The only way I make new friends now is via work, like we hire a new guy or something.
Speaker 1: And they're forced to be your friend, or.
Speaker 2: Like a golf friend, golf with them a couple of times. Now our boys sort of thing, like I'm not really making new friends. I don't know if anyone is these days once you're thirty, forty yat something. And that's what like this, of course is one I think you should leave sketch one hundred minut long. But also there's actually a pretty good and relatable underlying story to this whole thing, which is like it is I think more of a male than a female thing, because males are afraid more afraid to be honest with themselves, just like having honest friendships and like having a hang you know, could go a long way.
Speaker 1: I would say outside of this podcast, like if we didn't do this, I would have very little friends in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why Mac and Gooobin bringing you friendships ince what twenty sixteen and a large part because it's hard to make friends when you're an adult, you know, so you get podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well, I've retained two friends from childhood. I'm going to count you as two and a half because we're also co workers. Now sure, sure, So if it weren't for you, guys, i'd have my wife and my son. That's the point of having a son. He's a built in front one good three yeah, job three, King of Queen and Mill Street.
Speaker 2: Entertaining and go and I am Mac.
Speaker 1: And the thought of someone picking up smoking beyond the age of thirteen makes me laugh.
Speaker 2: Oh well, this my sister's not gonna appreciate this story. She decided she might pick up smoking last couple of months, so it.
Speaker 1: Was just a well thought out plan of like, no, not in my life.
Speaker 2: There are some life things going on, and yeah, she's she she uh. Essentially, when my grandmother passed, she had a lot of packs of cigarettes left over.
Speaker 1: You can't let those go to waste. I get it now, Okay.
Speaker 2: That was an excuse, but everyone knows me that, Like, I hate smoking cigarette, smoke anything else you want smoking cigarettes. So no one in the family would tell me, And then she finally told me on Easter and I was like so upset with her. So she got up to use the bathroom and I went into her purse and threw her cigarettes in the fire, in the fire that we.
Speaker 1: Were I've made a life decision. I've decided that now, at the age of thirty two, I am going to start smoking.
Speaker 2: Like if you started smoking at thirteen because you thought it was cool and you couldn't quit it, so be it. Nothing we can do about it. Now if you start smoking in your thirties, what do we What do we do?
Speaker 1: Although I was talking to a co worker last week and he said to me, I was in a parking lot the other day and I saw this guy leaning up against his car and having a cigarette. And I said to myself, Fuck, that's cool. I get it.
Speaker 2: If you like being isolated, if you like being outside in the middle of winter, smoking cigarettes is for you.
Speaker 1: Are we an anti smoking podcast?
Speaker 2: Go back and you bring you Friendship? Quite literally, this week we are bringing you Friendship, the movie in eight twenty four production starring two of our favorite people on the planet, Tim Robinson and Paul Rudd. Last week, gu this opened up in New York and LA limited release only six theaters, and it made four hundred and fifty one thousand dollars. That's one of the best limited releases YEP. One of the best limited releases ever on a per theater basis on limited release last year, only Anorra and Kinds of Kindness topped it, and it's the eighth best ever for A twenty four. It is opening up in Boston and other select major cities this week. It opens up nationwide next week, which it will be competing with Mission Impossible, but two drastically different audiences there Ku. I'm very intrigued as to how well this will do at the box.
Speaker 1: I am so curious first off, not only at the box office, but when normal people see.
Speaker 2: This, yeah, right right, Like you're gonna have the Tim Robinson diehards. I think you should leave diehards. But we have never really been able to quantify how many there are. Yeah, and the box office on this is really gonna give us like a good number as to how many there are.
Speaker 1: Well also, and I'll get into this when we get to the hot dogs and stuff. But this movie it feels like it's made for you, Like it's made for me, like they made a movie that's only for me.
Speaker 2: If you're a male in their thirties or forties and are seeking friendship and listen to podcasts, this movie is quite literally for you. It is. And on top of the not being able to really quantify how big the Tim Robinson audience is. It is an rated comedy, which those don't always play well. But this has been getting a hype from months and months and months now. The critics scores after a couple festival runs have been very high. So I think this might have just the right combination. You know, it's not gonna make one hundred million, but it might make fifty million at the box office, you know, maybe forty. Like this has a chance to do really, really well.
Speaker 1: And as you watch the movie, like Max said, it wasn't written by Robinson, but more than half of the jokes and half of the comedy isn't funny unless Robinson is delivering the line.
Speaker 2: He just has a way of certain inflections he puts on certain words, and his facial features and how he uses them and utilizes them. It's so unique and it's it's there's just no one else like it on the planet.
Speaker 1: Is he the best swearer of all time.
Speaker 2: He might be, he might be he's in the conversation for it, and even like what the hell just the way he said, like that the part of the hell, Like that part.
Speaker 1: Makes a one syllable word into two syllables.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And obviously like if you're not a fan of I think you should leave. You know you're not gonna like this movie.
Speaker 1: Even my wife, who my life, who is a fan of the show and likes watching one episode at a time. So three scats, which is that are roughly six to seven minutes long. I think this was too long for her.
Speaker 2: I did hear her cackle a couple times behind me in the theater. She did get some money.
Speaker 1: Do you think that she lied to me about this movie? She secretly loves it, but didn't want to admit it to me.
Speaker 2: A little peak behind the curtain for me. Gu I brought a friend to the screening. We both enjoyed the shit out of it, like it was exactly our style. There's a couple moments of this movie that I couldn't stop laughing for like a minute, Like, I know I missed a couple more jokes because I was giggling. Under my breath and trying not to distract other people.
Speaker 1: There were three ish scene slash jokes that I had to watch through my fingers like this because it had gotten so cringey slash awkward on purpose, That's Robinson's style. And then I was talking. I went with Billy d and He's like, I have to see it again. I also want to see it again. But in the three days since seeing it, I have just been like, like, random jokes have popped in my mind from the movie and I've just been laughing to myself.
Speaker 2: And they do good so sometimes and I think you should leave the character they're showing you is not that believable as an everyday person. They do a good job walking that line in this movie to like you could see this happening.
Speaker 1: This is I think his coworkers are borderline. Yeah, But then I would say, what is the actor that is on? I think you should leave that pops up for like one Connor O'Malley. He's in two scenes in this movie and he is just and I think you should leave character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 1: You're curious. I don't even fucking know you. I don't know where this guy came from.
Speaker 2: Like I said, Goode. This is an R rated comedy run time of one hundred and minutes on roddy Tea's right now ninety one percent from the critics. That's on eighty eight reviews. We do not have an audience score based on what we know about A twenty four Paul rud and Tim Robinson. I'll be stunned if this isn't in the nineties. You're not going to see this movie unless you're also those three things.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if if critics are afraid to say they don't find it funny, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know they have liked. I think you should leave.
Speaker 1: I'll get I know, but I think people might be afraid to cross the Tim Robinson people.
Speaker 2: On Metacritic of seventy five for an R rated comedy, that is through the fucking roof. So critics are telling you this is one of the best R rated comedies ever, not just the last five ten years, last twenty five years of the millennium. You know this is this is one of the best rated comedies ever. And I don't think it would crack my top three or four. But the more I think about it, the real watchability. That's gonna be here. This is sneaky, gonna creep up my list of best rated comedies. And because it has somebody, I think you should leave like qualities in that, the hidden jokes, in the second level jokes. This is gonna be insanely rewatchable.
Speaker 1: And also for that to happen to us in our thirties, to be able to accept a movie, a comedy movie, into our life and say that it is up there with some of the funniest movies ever, that is something else right there. That's like finding a new friend in your thirties. Generally you and this is for everybody. It is whatever comedies you see from the age of like sixteen to twenty, you're always gonna say that's the best comedy I've ever seen. It's just time and place. So much has to do with time and place. But the fact that you're getting this and McK and I are now thirty six years old and we're willing to be like this is up there with those comedies that we saw in those years, that's something right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that says all you need to know. Because Go and I were the perfect age for like the peak of the r rated comedy. The mid two.
Speaker 1: Thousand the peak of the real faral stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it really hit hard and like really formed our taste for comedy and what we desire well.
Speaker 1: And we also saw all of the Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Jim Carrey comedies right around that time too. They were a little earlier than us, but that's when it trickled down to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those were like The Foot and the Door, and then I think in the two thousand another step. But then in the twenty tens there was a lull, like there was no new ideas, you know, And we've sort of been bringing the R rated comedy back these last few years. There's more new ideas.
Speaker 1: Two years ago. There was nothing last year.
Speaker 2: Well sure, but I'm saying I'm generalizing here, Come on, stay with me.
Speaker 1: Shut the FU up.
Speaker 2: A lot of that is because the people that were raised on those original comedies are now writing and creating these movies and coming up with these ideas. And it's interesting to think, like, I'm gonna have a hard time rating this against other real movies because it is really and I think you should leave sketch for one hundred minutes. But no, in the best way possible.
Speaker 1: They know how to wrap up the movie with a quality. I'm gonna say happy ending. I'm gonna say it was a happy ending.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a moment in this movie where you're like, oh, okay, they're going with like the movie kind of ending, the cinematic ending, and you're like, you know what this is gonna work? And then there's like another seven.
Speaker 1: I knew there was always another foot to drop. I'm like, what are we gonna do here? What is gonna happen? And that is that's in spoilers, though, I am gonna go ahead and uh, blindly, having done no research on this, this is at least the best comedy since this is the end, and I would even probably go back to the hangover.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a statement right now.
Speaker 1: Also, once again, no research.
Speaker 2: No you and the way I just said talked about it and talking about like Pantheon type comedies, you know, cracking Mount Rushmore is like, I that's obviously I'm trying. I'm scrolling quickly on my letterbox here and see if anything from the last few years pops up, Like there are a lot of really good movies that have comedy in them. Yes, but no, not outright comedies.
Speaker 1: From open to close. This is all comedy. It is all and there's a mix of classic type jokes and comedy in there. There is a mix of super awkward, cringey comedy in there, and then there's comedy that only Robinson can pull off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I told agree with you. I think that the way this movie was written and stylized and set up for a lot of improv things, this could have been funny with a lot of people. It reaches another level because of where Tim Robinson takes.
Speaker 1: Like I just pulled up best comedies of the twenty tens on IMDb, So this is concrete what it is. Let's go to number ten, Tangled. Is it funnier than Tangled? Is it funnier than Submarine?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is that? Oh?
Speaker 1: It's directed by Richard Iota, nice Scott Pilgrim versus the world.
Speaker 2: This is funny and that's what I'm talking like so thor Ragnarok hysterical, right, but not an outright comedy.
Speaker 1: Here we go. This is a good side by side right here.
Speaker 2: Macgroober, oh man, I think beat for beat this is better than it is.
Speaker 1: But I would say it's comparable in the fact that that movie it's catered to its main actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, macgrooovber ah man. Actually the peaks might be high. This is better than Macgroober.
Speaker 1: This is hot Tub time Machine.
Speaker 2: That's a sneaky good one, is a really good one.
Speaker 1: Grown Up This is better grown up one or two? One or two both. You can use this one movie if you want. This is better Get them to the Greek Are we allowed to say that anymore? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we can four lions?
Speaker 2: The fuck is that?
Speaker 1: Don't question IMDb easy as it was?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: And number one. The number one twenty ten comedy according to IMDb list is Despicable Me? Is it better than Despicable Me?
Speaker 2: I have to think about that one. I'll get back to you at the end of the podcast.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's better than the first one. I'm not sure if it's better than Rise of grou.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I don't know why this isn't even on there. I think that Pop Star really funny. I think that twenty one Jump Street so those.
Speaker 2: Are really free, the Jump Street movies, those those are probably the last great straight out comedies, right.
Speaker 1: I probably should have looked at a different list, not imdbre comedies.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know. This is close between this and the Jump Street comedies. That's close. Deadpool Ted yep, Ted's in the conversation. The other the conversation. Yeah, the other guys's got twenty two.
Speaker 1: Terrible Boss is also good too. Yeah, right, you know what I should have pulled up Rancor first, let's go. I'm gonna delete the part with imdbrids Uh.
Speaker 2: Bridesmaids is very good. I think it's I don't like it as much as everyone else, but it's very good.
Speaker 1: Neighbors Neighbors is decent, kick ass, what we do in the shadows. The Grand Buddapest Hotel.
Speaker 2: That's good. But again that's yeah, I guess Great Booda beest Ho Hotel is a forty dogger for me.
Speaker 1: This is a good podcast. Let's just keep on throwing out movies and see what.
Speaker 2: Overall again. Spoiler free here. If you're going to see it, or you're on the if your borderline and you're not sure, go see it. You're gonna like if you're even thinking about seeing this movie, you're probably gonna like it. Go see it. Written and directed by Andrew Deyong. We don't really know much about him. His previous writing credits include the Characters, which of course Tim Robinson had an episode on that's probably the genesis of their relationship. Previous directing, he did a shit ton of TV stuff, a lot of shorts, no feature films. He did write or direct on ap Bio, Dave Penn fifteen and Our Flag Means Death. So this is a real launching pad for Andrew DeYoung too. Like R rated comedy as we just talked about with what do we really name legit eight to ten movies in the conversation, it's feel and far between.
Speaker 1: You might get one a year, And once again, it's R rated, just comedy, it's not comedy. Is not the sub genre. Yeah, yeah, if you find this shit funny, you're gonna laugh the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and crushing it the way he does here both writing it. I actually think the directing is really strong in this movie too. He's gonna get a lot of opportunities over the next four or five years.
Speaker 1: You could tell that it was an a twenty four movie because it almost it had like that weird lens work. The soundtrack, the score of the movie almost kind of felt like Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit, a little. I had that synth to it a little bit. And they also do a good time. There are smartphones and whatnot. This feels a little timeless as well. Right, that's the movie.
Speaker 1: He didn't have his phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do have a phone.
Speaker 1: At first, I'm walking out and I'm like that was that was really good? Was it a little too re tready with I think you should leave style and jokes? No, I think it was the perfect amount.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I totally agree, totally agree. Synopsis A suburban dad falls hard for his charismatic and new neighbor. It's perfect, perfect, simple synopsis. This movie stars and these There are other characters in here, and there are other faces you're gonna know, but the only four names you really need to know. Tim Robinson as Craig, Paul rud as Austin, Kate Mahra as Tammy, and Jack Dylan Grazer as Steven Tammy and Craig's son. You've seen him in a number of things. A younger actor, Hugh I must confess. Also, this was the first time I was driving to AMC Boston Commons for my new apartment timing threw me all off. Took me an hour to get there. Goo, I missed the first ten minutes of this movie.
Speaker 1: You know what they say driving in Boston and takes an hour to get from Boston to Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took me an hour ago like six point seven miles. So I did miss the first time minutes of this film.
Speaker 1: The first ten minutes is so funny. The first scene is such a great open where there's three jokes in it that are all hilarious.
Speaker 2: Billy told me I might have missed the best joke of the movie. But I also I was annoyed at first, but I was like, you know what, this is just an excuse to go see the movie in the theaters again. So I'm looking forward to seeing it again. And before we get into the Gauntlet once again, the only real way I can describe this movie is this is exactly what you wanted or expected, as I think you should leave Fann in the best possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you don't like that show, well you're not gonna like this movie, agreed. Also, just to quickly go through that mount rushmore of cast members. You have four here, that's how many faces are on a it's a rock in South Dakota.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: There you go, nailed it where the four best presidents of all time are on there. And so Tim Robinson perfect for this role. It is written for him, and it is on point. It is awesome. Paul Rudd. So the last time that I saw Paul Rudd was in Death of a Unicorn. When I spoke about that movie, I said, they misused Paul Rudd. This movie did not. This is the best type of Paul Rudd. And you understand why Robinson's character thinks he's the coolest fucking person in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they do a really good job. We haven't even talked about this yet. There are clear references to I think you should leave sketches and characters. There are also clear references to past Paul Rudd characters of this movie that I really liked as well. And we have spoken at length for years how much we love Paul Run and so this is a little bit of a love letter to Paul Run as well. He's he's playing Brian Fantana to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: It's that it is forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's that like it's the goofy your version it's the one from Wonderlust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let put some my dick in it.
Speaker 1: When I think of Paul run I think of wonder Lust.
Speaker 2: The funniest like two minutes of any movie in a while, was that movie or in that movie? But that movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have two podcast ideas right now. These are two rival podcast ideas. My idea was best swearers in movies. People are that are the best at swearing? Your idea is best jokes in bad movies?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul Rudd, mirror scene very near the time.
Speaker 1: We're gonna meet in the middle somewhere, So we get to the gauntlet before.
Speaker 2: You do that. No, do you want to compliment me and let the folks know about my sweet new here?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So Mac, give me a wide screen here for the folks at home.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll do that in post Mac right now has all of his pops on display. He has a nice shelf up.
Speaker 2: I got some action fig. He's got some nice things going on, some pokemon's.
Speaker 1: His codult office is looking to fly right now.
Speaker 2: And you you nixed the judio. We're not calling it the judio.
Speaker 1: I think no, I think we can think of something else. Someone Uh, someone tossed out something, maybe like something with Mac, because you know how Mac is a company, like a Mac truck. There's Mac truck, there's the Apple. They have Mac MacBook pros. Oh right, you can think something like that.
Speaker 2: That's the more popular mach So there's that.
Speaker 1: So that was Max's wide screen of his sweet sweet office Mac. You haven't complimented me yet? On my shirt?
Speaker 2: Oh right, Yeah, he was wearing an Absolute Vodka Oscar the Grouch shirt. It says absolute absolutely trashed on it.
Speaker 1: An Oscar has red lines in his eyes. He's smoking something I don't know. And then on the back of the shirt, maybe I'll show you at the end of the episode. That's a tease for you to stick around. The trash can is tipped over and it says absolutely smashed.
Speaker 2: So that was this weekend Mack and Goo.
Speaker 1: That's what we're doing right now. Should we get to the gauntlet, Now, let's do it. Fun Factor Mac. This movie is my type of fun.
Speaker 2: Staring at Tim Robinson reacting to things. Yes, I could do for days years. It's very fun.
Speaker 1: There is a scene in this movie with a bar of soap that I think, like when it first happened, I was like, Okay, that's all right. The way that they let it keep on going.
Speaker 2: When they cut back to it in the soap sideways.
Speaker 1: Roughly they let him do this for roughly a minute. The way that they went back to him for this scene. I was cackling by the end.
Speaker 2: I know my punishment.
Speaker 1: I wore your well boy like and we're not trying to make this podcast just all quoting and pointing out the joker, but oh my lord, that is that's my Something that starts out is not funny but ends up being funny. That's what I want.
Speaker 2: And there was several of them. They didn't overdo it with that though, but there were several of them also.
Speaker 1: I had so much fun with the fact that in this movie his character had one original idea and it was at the end of the movie. Everything else, whether it be what he said, what he did, the locations that he brought his family, He didn't think of anything by himself. He just stole it from other people.
Speaker 2: I laughed for thirdy straight seconds when he told his son that's cherry, that he couldn't let you stole it. That's cherry.
Speaker 1: But also when he repeated that's cherry, several times to Paul Rudd, that's cherry, and just the locations over and over again. He didn't think of anywhere new to go. It was just places that he went with Paul Rudd, and then when he finally had his own idea, he didn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: Well, they were in the aqueduct. That's right, aqueduct, I said, aqueduct when they walked past the bat, and his outright refused to go back the other way to walk past the bat again.
Speaker 1: Believe satisfactor. I'm so satisfied, very satisfying.
Speaker 2: And I was worried about the satisfactor for this movie because we've been hyping this up for a year plus, ever since we heard this was announced. We've been looking for like this is essentially I think you should leave a new season for it. So it's nice to not be disappointed by things you love it. It's so rare that happens, Borometer, No, No, it's it's once again. Like the quote unquote lulls of this movie are tim reacting and thinking of stuff, and those are always great.
Speaker 1: Just him staring at that, just awesome.
Speaker 2: You guys, kiss on the lips, Quarter World.
Speaker 1: It is better than water World. Sure Halloween, will this wane over time? I don't think it will. I think while my hot Dog score will stay the same, I think that we're gonna have new quotes, new jokes, everything else, just tossing it back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna go up, I think, And I think my dog score might go up because I'm sort of afraid to start this too high.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I started at forty five hot Dogs, I'm afraid that it won't get to fifty.
Speaker 2: Well, because I'm trying to think, right you and Eyes both have Sinners as a number one movie on the year, and it's like, how the fuck do you compare this to Sinners?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you right now, better than Sinners. Rightly, it's better than Sinners.
Speaker 2: I think I have dog score wise it is, but I feel weird.
Speaker 1: Now to tip my hand. It's the best movie of the year, and I think it should be considered for an Oscar. Okay, all right, Max, Credit Union, who are you giving credit to?
Speaker 2: It's gotta be Andrew Deyong to be able to sell a major movie studio, which is now what A twenty four is on an expanded version of probably a sketch or a small idea. He had the idea a suburban dad falls hard for his chismatic new neighbor, which he could have done in a five minute sketch, and they do it over one hundred minutes and it's so good. Massive credit to Andrew.
Speaker 1: De Young plemmonade. For those of you who don't know who Jesse Plemmons is, he shows up and he makes you say, wow, that guy is good. Who did that in this movie? And I think the answer I keep on forgetting his name. It is Andrew O'Malley Connor O'Malley.
Speaker 2: Sorry, true, I forget the comedian's name. He is somewhat recognizable. In the final scene of this movie. His name is Jimp. I fucking cried. I was laughing so hard. His two lines of dialogue were unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I don't know the line of all right, let me add this with we shouldn't have left Iraq?
Speaker 2: Well, I get no, we should still will be in Afghanis.
Speaker 1: We should still be in Afghanistan. Thank you? Was Oh my god? This movie Pants Den City, Excite bike Mania, what got you going?
Speaker 2: I honestly think the finale of this movie is the pants tent when it all comes together and you're not one hundred percent sure how it's gonna how they're gonna land them, just have an idea. But when he continues to do what he's doing at the end of the movie to Austin and then they have that moment from it's fucking great.
Speaker 1: So there's that I'm gonna bleep on a little bit what you just said there is he reacts twice, So he reacts to the cops once and then he reacts in a similar way to a client both times. Fucking killed me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna fucking kill you. Oh. He Also, this is everything from OVD Ocean View Dining. They even have food.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spoil thing, but he he goes on a trip. He goes on a drug fuse trip. And what we get out of that tea Boy, toad boy, what he gets from tea Boy is his trip is hilarious.
Speaker 2: You know what? That scene is incredible? Now what did you do? I ordered? Also the other side when he goes when he's making the mushrooms and goes to wake Kate Ber up for a lick.
Speaker 1: That okay, he goes to do it and he's like you want to like, she's like yeah, and then the sun's like something's burning in the kitchen. So he started cooking, Yeah, on a frying pan. Mind, he isn't boiling something. He's not doing like a like a slow roast. He's frying something, goes upstairs, offers to lick, and then immediately there's something burning on this Like what that sequence is so funny.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start using that terminology. And then when he comes out of the bedroom, he doesn't walk down the stairs, he jumps down the stairs and almost does like a heal click. Yeah, he'll me too.
Speaker 1: Pose. If you're targeted to the Mac and Goo party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system. Mac. This is a movie that feels like it is made specifically for you, like it's something that only you will like. But there are many of us now we do know this. Back when we were doing trivia, the I Think You Should Leave Trivia was maybe the most popular people there wise, and also the most passionate of people there. So this is a good following of Tim Robinson. People that love this type of humor. But you do feel like you own it, like this is your movie. It's funny from the get go. There's several types of comedy here, but it does mostly hinge on the cringey, longer lasting humor that Tim Robinson is able to give. The joke pacing is all so great. There's at least something funny in every single scene. It is catered, it is written, it is directed for Tim Robinson, you get that type of humor. It has the perfect stupid ending. I love the ending of this movie so much. You can argue maybe there's a bit too much of the recycled jokes, recycled bits from I think you should leave in here, but you're gonna get that when it's someone's first starring role. I have this at thirty eight hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, when I left the theater, Goo, I was thinking thirty seven, thirty eight. I have centers at thirty seven for a reference. And then I really really love the ending. And you know, I'm a sucker for ending the end of a trilogy. I'm always a sucker for and now just talking it out, uh that but the subway, what did I ordered? I'm been laughing about that for a day, street Man. I think I don't know if it's at forty dogs it might get the forty dogs in the law run, I have a little trepidation scoring at that high. I'm gonna go thirty nine hot dogs, just one off, I think from like my all time favorite comedies, which I would give forty. I'm acknowledging though that it may get there, and rewatches it honestly may get there.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to say this might be a perfect comedy, but not for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that's for me, that's true. It's it's exactly our style. And I thought about this last night too, Like I haven't bought a Blu Ray in years, I'll be buying this because I will want to watch this on a loop. I want to show people this if they haven't seen it. So it's damn near forty hot dogs. It's just it's just below for me. And it's in the twenty four hours i've seen it, it's already gone up a dog or two. So I'll give it. I'll settle on thirty nine.
Speaker 1: I left the theater like thirty five, thirty six, and in the three days sense, I'm like, what is wrong with this?
Speaker 2: What did she do?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know. I think that everything is just like it's so well paid, it's so beat for beat things that I find, and I'm constantly laughing at days since seeing it.
Speaker 2: What's your trip? Did it feel like fifteen twenty years? No, it felt like a minute.
Speaker 1: And you got a sandwich that was just black forest ham out of yeah, not boasted. Yeah, it's so good. Also. Not to get too far off the topic, but I think I've decided I might get back into some physical media. I'm gonna wait until Black Friday. On that day you can buy hddvds, Blu rays, dirt cheap. I might pick up a couple just to put in there, just in case my favorite movies go off certain platforms.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, like and I still am a big fan of us, and you and I just like collecting things because we're fucking idiots.
Speaker 1: I mean we are idioting here.
Speaker 2: I think it's worth owning the one or two movies a year that you really loved and starting your own like Criterion collection. I really, I really do think that's worth worth doing.
Speaker 1: Also, And not to get too far into like the technical side, but it looks way better and it sounds way better.
Speaker 2: Too, no doubt, No dope, All right.
Speaker 1: Shall we start spoiling spoilers. Spoilers, spoilers. The opening scene is the perfect table setter for what you're getting in the movie.
Speaker 2: So this is what I missed. I missed because they bring it up later in the movie that there's cancer involved. So I missed the cancer, her beating cancer. I missed the first eight to ten minutes roughly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Kate Mara is a is she still covering by.
Speaker 2: The way, Yeah, she's a great foil in this movie.
Speaker 1: She's so soft spoken, she's so like trying to help point it in him, but also like the weird stuff with her ex boyfriend, but you could tell that she's kind of gone back to being his friend because Tim Robinson's character is so shitty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they're at a meeting for cancer survivors and she's telling her story. She's talking about how, you know, she wants to get a bigger car, that's the new thing that they want to do this year, and she's always in fear of the cancer coming back. And Robinson's first line of it is something like, yep, but it's gone, and he says it directly like the way that he says it. And then also she speaks about how she hasn't had an orgasm since the cancer, and then his next line is, and I got no problem orgasming over here. So like that first scene is so funny and sets up the entire movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's like maybe this gets bump to forty before they get the extra five minutes. You know, Like I love this movie without that context.
Speaker 1: And we saw most of these scenes in the trailers, Like the early stuff is in the trailers. Yeah, but the uh, there's a new Marvel out this week.
Speaker 2: It's nuts supposed to be nuts nuts.
Speaker 1: And then for the rest of the movie, they don't say Marvel movies, they don't say Marvel characters. Is I look like a Marvel Good going down into the sewers was hilarious. He couldn't climb up that little wall. He's wearing his ovd's.
Speaker 2: He got everything from OVD Ocean View Dining. And then when he finally makes it up the war and his shoes down there, he's just like shakes his head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's that. So him going into the sores with Paul Rudd and then him going into that field with Paul Rudd. He then does both of those things later on is like I'm gonna do something cool, Like he keeps he he repeats things that he does with Paul Rudd with other people. So the party after he tries to have his own party, he repeats things that Paul Rudd says to him that he thinks is cool. He buys a drum set because Paul Rudd plays punk rock. But uh, the the OVDs are his exact style. They fit him perfectly. Also, when he's in the field with Paul Rudd and he starts to sink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way they shot that was awesome. Yes, that was fucking great. I loved that. And then that was the first instance he drops his phone and Paul is right, I don't have a phone. You don't have a phone.
Speaker 1: And then he doesn't get a phone until he sees that Paul Rudd has another.
Speaker 2: The whole movie, like he goes through like five phones of this movie was fucking perfect.
Speaker 1: So the party where he meets the new friend and then he loses the new friends immediately is so good because everyone's boxed with their friends. Yeah, and he takes it a little too far and then he puts the soap in his mouth. Boy, I know my play and he just keeps on chewing on it for a minute.
Speaker 2: Will they cut with the soaps halfway in his mouth and it cuts the guys reacting and cuts back when the soaps sideways in his mouth, I fucking lost it. And then he's doing a face too, and it's just sticking out of his cheek.
Speaker 1: Also, oh my god, when they go through the sewer and then they go up through town hall and he starts smoking and then he does eh.
Speaker 2: It was the perfect little nod, perfect driving crooners.
Speaker 1: It's the best. He gets his drum set. He goes over to show Paul Rudd after Paul Rudd told him, Hey, I think we should end this friendship. I don't, which he said it in like the nicest possible way. He lets him down easy, lets him down easy.
Speaker 2: The eight seconds of Tim trying to control the drum set down the driveway was unbelievable physical comedy too.
Speaker 1: They let that linger. Also, when he's deciding what drum set to get, He's like, what what color should I get? I guess it doesn't matter. But and then he has the drum set and Paul Rud's like, oh, you got the expensive ones?
Speaker 2: Huh? And then like you said, he copies him, has his own party later and they're just sitting around talking about nothing. I start talking.
Speaker 1: About the house, the marble freehouse. We don't spoil around here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he's banging on the drums and he goes this guy's like Hulk. That's it.
Speaker 1: So he brings his son to the field. They eat mushrooms there, or he eats mushrooms there. He throws up at the mall. He brings his wife into the sewer system. She gets lost for days, and.
Speaker 2: Then we come to find out she had an orgasm finally in the sewer system.
Speaker 1: From the thought of leaving him. That's what gave her the audience and the entire time it's like I need a bigger car, and it's him like trying to fit the flowers into the car.
Speaker 2: Uh. And then Craig and Austin, Rudd and Tim get arrested due to trespassing because of this whole search for the wife, and they're in chill and this is like we get the scene that's gonna tie everything up. At the end, Roud slips just too, Pay slips on, piss who's too Pay falls off, And then when they cut back to Tim and he's just he's just like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't see anything. Also, before they get arrested in the Sources and he's like, fucking pigs, fucking cat.
Speaker 2: He called you pigs, you fucking pigs.
Speaker 1: Also in that first scene in the Sours System when they go through town hall and he gets startled by the by the cardboard cutout is a real guy. He goes on a trip after licking a toad. He goes for one minute, he comes back. He's like a toad, screw it or that tote is a scam or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's totally scammy, like it cuts and you're expecting whatever you're expecting. It wasn't him. Subway ordering from an old Paul Run and Paul the character Paul Run's playing that seat is so good. I know what you want.
Speaker 1: And then we get so his wife comes home after being stuck in the Sore System for for days, and Tim Robinson is kind of playing the drums, is kind of sitting by himself, and Connor O'Malley goes back there and you think that this might be the firefighter friend that she's been talking about the whole movie. He's just a random guy. Yeah, yeah, you should be dead. I don't even fucking know you. Just those two yelling at each other for thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tim Gibbs gets up on the chair and advites everyone to speak, and once his wife starts speaking, all right, all right, let's form a line by the by the the sausage, the dishes over here. And then he's like, oh, let's have a parade. And then that's when Condormeley gets up. Well, you know, while I'm up here, we should we should still be in Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: This might be forty for us. This might be a bias mac and Goo forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it gets. It gets like a two dog bump or something, just because it's exactly our style.
Speaker 1: But something that if I'm speaking to someone and I'm not sure if they like him, I feel it out and I don't recommend it.
Speaker 2: But I also and like there is something sinister about the movie separate from the comedy, Like there's a good story here about a guy trying to find friends gets really jealous of his neighbor, Like there's there's there's that's a that's a good story in and of itself, separate from the comedy aspect, like this is just a good movie, R rated comedy goes it's a forty dog, I think.
Speaker 1: And then you think at the end he is gonna make amends with his family, but you're waiting for something else to happen. He has a lovely night. They I just bought a minivan.
Speaker 2: I'm not afraid of you.
Speaker 1: And then he's like, we gotta go.
Speaker 2: Immediately puts this blow it out. Blow it out.
Speaker 1: Immediately on a dime to switch us back to being petrified, and he's like, we need to leave.
Speaker 2: They drive by Austin's yellow Corvette and you could see the wheels turning, and you're like, ah, this is gonna play into it.
Speaker 1: They're gonna watch the Marvel. Finally, at the end, the family is getting back together. He's like, I need to go buy some candles. And at first I'm like, is he gonna Because the entire movie they talk about the speed bumps. That's just great because it's not a racetrack.
Speaker 2: I'm showing him walking over the speed bumps on the way home every time killed me.
Speaker 1: And I was like, is he gonna go over a speed bump and fly onto the car. No, No, he's just gonna go over there. So he can stop. He does ruin the van that he got for his wife. And then when he goes in and he runs through the back, which also this also has a bit of a Michael Scott seasons three through five. It has it's not as far, but it has a little Scott's tots to it.
Speaker 2: Well, it has just a little bit of like Michael Scott's desire to be wanted and loved, right, that like character trait is what this character has.
Speaker 1: But also cringe wise, a little bit of Scott's tots to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he ends up, he goes through the back. He sneaks in the house during a Paul Rudd party and he gets some beers. And then oh, also he broke into the house early on and he stole a gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just you knew that was gonna a golden.
Speaker 1: Gun, mind you, a golden gun.
Speaker 2: Which the cops didn't search him when he went into jail.
Speaker 1: So he's in the house and he decides to hold up the house and he's like, no one ever asked me about me. I'm really good at Never have I ever asked me for? Never have I ever? I don't know what that is it's when you give scenarios and you need to decide which one you want to do, Like would you rather do stand up for a year every day for your dad? Or fuck? I can't think of anything else.
Speaker 2: I'm so stressed right now. I can't think of anything. You you you all right?
Speaker 1: What's your favorite food?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 1: So he's just freaking out the entire That was his first original thought the entire movie was to hold up the house of people that Paul Rudd had over.
Speaker 2: And then finally he scans all the way to the left. They're like, why you got a new guy? Who the fuck is this guy? He goes Jimp, He goes Jim, he goes no. It's like jump with an I I fucking.
Speaker 1: Jimp so ato.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The entire time he's talking about this Seal six meal.
Speaker 2: Oh seeah the Seal Team's six meals over twenty two thousand calories.
Speaker 1: And while everyone is jumping on the floor after he shoots up into the air, Paul runs two payfalls off again, and he keeps shooting up to make sure that everyone keeps their head down and Paul runs safe from his friends finding out that he has a two.
Speaker 2: Pay right there's a movie friendship.
Speaker 1: That's the friendship.
Speaker 2: Get right there.
Speaker 1: And as he is walking or as he looks out of the cop car, he looks over and Paul Rudd gives him a little bit of a smile and a wink, and he's like, we're fronts and he's happy. He's so happy at the end.
Speaker 2: I also liked that Rud carried him out through the garage.
Speaker 1: After he ran through another plate window.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: It's a Mac and Go forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good even I know it's our style. Anyways, if you listen to this podcast, yeah, probably is close to forty. I was again with thirty seven thirty when I left the theater, woke up this morning, I was like thirty eight thirty nine and talking it out. Man, that's some place.
Speaker 1: So Mac and Go forty asterisk you might not like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. There's the byeline.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Mac Sack and Mac Sac could be anything. It could be a boat and Mac. I have recently joined the world of being a t ball dad.
Speaker 2: Wow for you.
Speaker 1: And am gonna ask you because I'm not sure. I'm not sure how it's going for me. I clearly have the most talented kid in the league, and I need to ask you. Am I being too much of a hard Oh? Let me explain what I've been doing. Okay, And so first off, number one, I only care about my kid on the field. Of course, no one else matters.
Speaker 2: So you're not coaching the team.
Speaker 1: But parents are supposed to be involved in try and keep all the kids in line.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, Sure.
Speaker 1: What I do is that when I play catch with my son, I look over and all the other parents are wearing gloves, and I'm like, what the fuck? These are four year olds? Just catch the ball. So I'm out there bare hand.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean, you can probably throw the ball what eight feet?
Speaker 1: Every kid can. No one's out there hucking piss, right, Although I will say that one time I was playing catch with my son and I threw it a little too hard and a little too high, hit him square in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He then, with tears in his eyes, threw three of the best pitches I've ever seen, trying to hit me.
Speaker 2: Immily sought revenge. I love that. Yeah, you know it is motivator, perfect.
Speaker 1: Form, perfect follow through, right at my face. And since then, and I'm not sure if the other parents like this, I'll say, throw it at my nose. I will also I'll record him hitting, and then when he finally gets all the way around the bases, I'll pull him off to the side and I'll show him the recording of him hitting, and I'll point out things that he did right and did wrong.
Speaker 2: You want your launch angle here, but you were here.
Speaker 1: All I care about is that he's swinging hard.
Speaker 2: You just need tea in your yard there with the one tied to the t Let him keep hitting it, set it back up, keep hitting it.
Speaker 1: You know, I see now here is a thing. I want him to see the ball flying out of the infield. I want him to get that visual in his head. So I'm more about I have a tea, I have a bat, I have several balls. I bring him to a field and I just let him swing and let the ball fly.
Speaker 2: You know, what you can do is set up like some sort of plane on the bottom part of the tea so that he's naturally having to hit a little slight uppercut, you know, come through the zone with a slight uppercut, and that'll that'll be good loft on the ball.
Speaker 1: My main thing is that I you know, and it's cool. Other people can do whatever they want. When I bring him to a practice or a game, no matter what sport it is, I want him to, you know, kind of focus on what he's doing. I want him to get something out of it, not just go there and play in the dirt.
Speaker 2: No, I get it. And try to stare him away from hockey as much as you can, because it's by far the most expensive sport.
Speaker 1: He already plays hockey. We're going to do another learned to skate last year because the learned to skate that he did. I'm not sure if he even knows how to skate. He knows how to walk on ice.
Speaker 2: I almost be staring my hypothetical kids away from hockey. Basket off football, baseball much cheaper.
Speaker 1: No, he'll be doing hockey. We're doing basketball next. He wants to do soccer again in the fall. We're doing hockey again. After that. We're gonna look for a flag football league so we can get the fundamentals of route running down.
Speaker 2: I'm also I'm gonna start golf early with my child hypothetic.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's asked about golfing several times. I should probably it's just.
Speaker 2: Few far between people that start golf a really and that is expensive too.
Speaker 1: Although he kind of golfs, he gator golfs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, there you go.
Speaker 1: He putted into the gator's mouth and it spits it back at him. Ye, because what could be greater than playing a game of golf with a gator? Right? What was the other one? There was the gator, there was the alligator with teeth and you were trying to like be a dentist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and then I don't remember what the l were chopped out on you. I think something like that.
Speaker 1: Have I already told this story in the podcast that I bought my son Operation and he was playing or he was about to blatter on the knee. He held the Tweezers staring at the board for a minute and then suddenly just broke down crying because the anxiety of getting exacts stressed him out way too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get that. That is a very stress inducing game.
Speaker 1: I had to take the batteries out. So now he's he's just fucking killing the operation patients. Yeah, yeah, just jamming the Tweezers in there?
Speaker 2: All right, Mac?
Speaker 1: Where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram. And uh Twitter x at Mac Andgoo podcast every the platform where Mac ampersand Good's max just seven Goo that includes Facebook, Citritune and castworks freaking Google Play, ir Radio or a Spotify. More importantly, Apple podcasts get on their rate review subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and gooo tea shirt for the folks over at Wattertown Sports Where Wattertown Sports Worth thirty four mot Abit Street, Watertown, Mass Wattown Sportswear dot com, extrat Screenprinting and Embroidery.
Speaker 1: Te Public dot Com. I was trying to cut a clip yesterday, and an hour into my work, I sat back and said this, then, fucking sucks.
Speaker 2: Listen stinks Sometimes sometimes you're your own worst critic, you know.
Speaker 1: I think everything that I do stinks, though I'm like, what what is the point of what I'm doing?
Speaker 2: I always remember Marcus of the now defunct Boxer's Podcast talking about I like his two or three most popular like stingers of theme songs, with the two or three he spent the least amount of time on. And that's really stuck with me. You know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes simple as best go and follow us on TikTok. Yeah, I post once a month for the most part.
Speaker 2: Please praise my new setup.
Speaker 1: Go on uh comment section. We're on YouTube and say hey Mac looking cool.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Oh, actually, go on social media. Tell us how old you were the last time you made a friend?
Speaker 2: Not bad not bad lyric question. People are gonna think long and hard about that, and I bet it's been I bet it's been more than four or five years for most of our listeners.
Speaker 1: Because like Billy and Doc are probably the last friends that I have made.
Speaker 2: True, that's five six years ago.
Speaker 1: It's because of this though, true, So that five six years ago. Yeah, so like twenty nine thirty Yeah, alright, Tuesdays or Goose Days. I abuse Kangaroos, Tambarton Bye. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on tram Papa leins