Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and jaygn Salez. They have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Big yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I mean I heard radio WAPs.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to tying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, he's Jay. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 3: T mac was named the Walter Camp National Player.
Speaker 4: Of the Week just yesterday right over this morning and this morning, this morning, and he was AP Player of the Week, Big twelve Player of the Week.
Speaker 5: He was all over the all over the national media.
Speaker 2: Right and you could have had a bigger day the one thing again, and I'll just repeat this because it's like we just found out Christmas was on December twenty fifth by a lot of.
Speaker 5: The national guys.
Speaker 4: Where have you bid? Guys. Honestly, he's the same dude we've seen them all along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he might be a little more a little more of a dude than he was last year.
Speaker 4: Oh of course, because you know he's old.
Speaker 5: Got here. You know.
Speaker 4: Let me say this.
Speaker 2: I had heard a Jay that that he was not going to be made available, just the rumor. No, and I'm going to say that he was not going to be made available locally. He didn't kind of want to talk to locals. He talked yesterday, which is great. H So that was all of a debunk rumor that did not exist. So you know it's good because the locals need to hear from their star.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, I mean I think you know, after the game, you get back to the car.
Speaker 4: Because well, go ahead, were you gonna talk about my story? Because I mentioned he had this great.
Speaker 2: Game player and then he does come to the press conference and that's kind of kind of where it started. The heck, right, I mean generals in one on one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go get the get the guy the guy. I mean, you know, if it would have been in an open locker room, everybody had gone to him first, he would have been the one that everybody had gone to, and then you go to Noah, then maybe go to the right. But to not bring him to a press conference when he sat a game like that, right, It's just that's that's just an issue that we have with me that the media has to have. If I'm you know, if I'm in your position or Justin Spears or anybody else, I'm like, what the hell are we doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Because I got to the car and I, you know, and I put on the YouTube, you know, the press conference, And by the time I got to the car, the press conference started and it's talking to Noah and I assumed t Mac was sitting right next to him. And then they back up the camera and it's and it's the running back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they didn't bring and that's all they brought in. They didn't bring any defensive players, they didn't bring anybody. Uh, it's strange. And I don't know why it's strange. I know why it's strange. I can't explain what the world we're coming to because it's you talk about those games.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's like, why wouldn't you want to tell that story. He's had such an incredible game. Why wouldn't you want him to be in front of it.
Speaker 4: Imagine you're you're on deadline.
Speaker 2: You got half hour to go down, get your quotes, and come back up and finish your story. Your lead is you know whatever, but it's centric.
Speaker 4: To t mac, right, yeah, and you have no quote the follow you have nowhere to go with this quote.
Speaker 5: I mean who I read, uh justin spears story the next morning or was it maybe it was maybe a love story and they had to quote him off the interview off of TV. Oh yeah right, ESPN, right right off the you know, the postgame interview on ESPN. That's that was the quotes. Those are the quotes they got from t Mac. I'm I know, you know what, I know, we kicked this horse all the time, but but we wouldn't if yeah right, and it's like, ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it made no sense to me. I was kind of almost disinterested when he didn't show up, and then I was still waiting, like those two guys came in and Brennan.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking as big as anybody else?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 5: Is that it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I said, well, if they don't care, why should I.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's too bad. That's really too bad. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Arizona Baseball will be having their fall games on October third, Verse her Ceo, October twelfth, First Pima and October eighteenth, first Central Arizona.
Speaker 4: Okay, because they have the we gotta get mic on.
Speaker 5: Yes, when when is that first one again?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 3: October third?
Speaker 5: All right, so the month. Look at me, in a few weeks you're talking about that. That's always fun again. So yeah, no, you know again one of those things would they start to find out if they're gonna be any good.
Speaker 3: Caleb Love has been named a Blue Ribbon preseason first Team All Americans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that. Bruce had that yesterday. I think I think he he writes a little for Blue Ribbon, not Shock, not Shock.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you, Jay, as as Love goes, Arizona goes, I have my answer.
Speaker 5: I'm not so.
Speaker 2: Sure mine as I know mine as I know only because we know how good he is. Yeah, guy, they have to and they have to have.
Speaker 5: You have to have. You can't know. You can't be a top five, top ten team with one guy.
Speaker 4: Did the last k prove that?
Speaker 5: Well, not only that, Steve, but you know every every team at the top of the ladder like that has a bunch of no. So I now, does he have to have a good season for them to be good? Yes, but you know it's not all on him, you know, And if he's not and if he's not having the season, then you go get another guy. You put another guy in that spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think he's gonna have a good year.
Speaker 2: Two and I think that heal, he'll be a better shooter, more consistent. And we've talked about this a lot on this show.
Speaker 4: Uh, it was. It was Steve obviously a better shooter.
Speaker 2: Salim, and they haven't had a guy since yea, and maybe maybe you.
Speaker 4: Could put him in this category. If he has that good year from.
Speaker 5: The perimeter, he's got an opportunity to be there. Yeah, yeah, he does, because you haven't had one since Salim, I know, and that's a long time ago. That's then twelve thirteen years yeah, yeah, oh man. And and the thing here's what kills me about that Steve is that so many teams have come into mcay, even some of those directional schools and the hyphenated schools, who have that guy.
Speaker 4: Let me correct myself, it's about eighteen years ago, nineteen years ago, who have a shooter? Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: Jimmer for dat. Yeah, what the hell was he doing to b Yu? Why wasn't he in Arizona?
Speaker 2: You and you're he oh man? Because these guys go to places they could play. Honestly, Gilbert Ruben Doublins went to went to New Mexico. And you're poop pooing the quality of play at these places.
Speaker 5: But I get it. I look, but you know, I mean the kid from what was it from Providence that came and put forty five on them years ago. It was Providence. Yeah, I can't remember Eric H. Murdoch Murdoch. Yes, why did in Arizona have that guy or a guy like him?
Speaker 4: Because they're not good? Apparently they're not good though.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, a good shooter in the last few years would have been fantastic, uh for even for uh for the TJ McConnell years if they had a shooter during that, because they didn't have a shooter during those times, you know, and gave York was not good enough.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, and how many times have they had a guy that they said this is the guy? Yeah, yeah, and it didn't any penny didn't and didn't pan out. They've even said that about Caleb Love And while he was good in games, he wasn't consistently good. And you need a guy that that every game you can count on having that shooter.
Speaker 3: Jamar Hamlin will be getting his first start on Sunday since his cardiac arrest.
Speaker 2: That should be an interesting right because he's me was played a little last year back. But it's what an inspiring type of story?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is. I you know, what do you say, right? What do you say, it's just like wow, wow, right exactly. You can't say much more than that.
Speaker 3: A seventeen year old was charged with attempted murder on the shooting of forty nine Ers wide receiver Ricky Pearsoon.
Speaker 5: I heard about that, did you say, he's already trying to figure out when he can come back and play. Hey got shot in the chest and it went like in and out, and he's still like, hey, man, I'm ready to go. It's like, if I got shot, I'm like, check back with me in about five years. That might be worth something. Then it's crazy. These guys are just you know, they're nuts. But good, good for him. Good that that you know, And I it's seventeen years old. Man, I don't know. I don't know, all right, don't get me started there.
Speaker 3: In Caitlyn Clark's rookie season, the Fever clinched their first playoff berth since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: So they finally got the gut in what seed eight seed? I think probably the seventh seeds.
Speaker 2: She's probably rookie, the probably she'd probably be Rookie of the year. Reached out a fantastic year though.
Speaker 5: She has, But you know, you can say, you what what what Caitlin H. Clark is doing is looks flash here right more special. It's not the right, it's not the you know, the the double the double doubles or the you know down you know, down low. You know, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens. And I mean, I think she'll get it.
Speaker 2: And she and she I don't I don't want to say raised the level of of play, but she raised the level of attendance and then right eyes on the on.
Speaker 5: The every arena that she goes to on the w as they say, it's crazy, is that it?
Speaker 4: Henry? You saw you got We've got a lot of stuff probably left. What's on ESPN or what did did you? I know you probably went through this yesterday. There is on the moved up one spot in the A.
Speaker 2: People and two well they're eighteen in the and the coaches the coaches put twenty in the in the A people, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because Florida State.
Speaker 2: Oh did you see that the jetfish watches already is on you say that they had him number two behigh mind uh.
Speaker 5: Mis Lane Lane Kiffin. Yeah, Yeah, that'd be interesting to see what happens there. Yeah, we'll see what happen. All right, So something that's been been been debating. I know what the answer and the argument is. But Pat McAfee, did you watch Game Day?
Speaker 2: And I watched some of it. I watched some of it. I know that they loved Saban, you know, you cussed them.
Speaker 5: That was great, that was really good.
Speaker 2: But not the other guy, well a leak course not yeah, not for another day. But no, you're with with the kid, the young kid. You just mentioned the name that no McAfee McAfee can cause. But I mean, uh, concuse but not maca.
Speaker 5: Savans earned it. Savans paid way more. Duce.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch it, but I don't. I don't get it, so it does I don't.
Speaker 5: Well again, you know, And and it's funny because, uh, my son Adam, he sent he sent a thing about how many millions of people you don't watch Game Day? And I said, I understand. I said, I get it. You know, I understand understand why he's on the show because he gets he gets eyes. But I'm not one of the eyes that they're looking for, you, right, I get it. I'm you know, I I just don't like it. I don't like him. I don't like what he does on the show. He made about three or four references to Donald Trump during the show, and I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: You know, we again, we don't come here for that, that's for sure. And so you know, I just I just don't like the guy, and I don't like what he brings to the show. But you know, ESPN does like what he brings to the show, and that's why he's there. I know somebody said, if I know, if you said, there was a video of a during a break where McAfee's going crazy and Nick Saban's looking at him like they're an idiot, You're an idiot.
Speaker 4: I'm glad I didn't recruit you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, that's just the way of the world. I mean, you have you have Henry, who's to date, right, he's kind of we have U we have you know, kind of cool, kind of just calm, you know whatever. Yeah, you don't you don't get excited. I can't remember the last guy we had he was excited was what's his name? He went to l A who could have gone to Montana and he.
Speaker 4: Gave him bad advice, you know, kind of like you know it snarky but cool and funny. I want to say really, but it wasn't. Uh well Will right real who who is cool?
Speaker 2: But you know, more personality. Guess what we're getting to the age where.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want it's just it's just annoying to me. You know. He at one point he stands up on the table and the whole bit he.
Speaker 4: Took up a shirt.
Speaker 5: I think he took off his shirt and he's yelling at the ground like that is so on what I want, what I want to see?
Speaker 7: Should you?
Speaker 4: Should you watch it?
Speaker 2: I don't watch it like that, and I don't really care either way. But you have you have him Macabe, and then you have Sabing, and then you have Will corso three three totally different dudes, because the Corstal thing is kind of oh man, yeah, it's almost.
Speaker 4: Get him off, get him off the set, it's good.
Speaker 2: And then you have Saban, who's gonna be good. And then you have Macavie. Either you like him or you don't, right, you know, because anybody your son's age, okay, cool? Hey, yeah, you know, I just look for insight. I don't know if I get anything.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing. You don't get insight from Pat McAfee, you just get noise. Right, Well, Saban tells you you learn something when when he starts, you haven't learned something. When Lee Corso's talking, you learn something. When Kirk Kurbsky is talking, you learn nothing. When Pat McAfee's talking, you just get noise. And that's that's the part that I that I really don't like about his role and his bit on the show, because I don't. I'm not watching that for noise. I'm watching that too. You know. Look, I get it. I it's my body clock, right, my body knows that college game day is starting. So I get up and I start watching at six o'clock in the morning and get some coffee, get you know, and I and I want, I don't, I don't zero in. I do things and and maybe I'll sit down and watch it for ten minutes and I'll go do something. But it's always on in the morning in my house.
Speaker 4: Well it's offully, not enough for you not to stop watching.
Speaker 5: Right right. But and I'll tell you what. When he starts going off is when I kind of turned my ac country to something else, or you know, I start playing the game on my phone or watch it.
Speaker 3: It's too early here.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, it's over at nine o'clock. Man, they've been out all night. Good for you to enjoy college. Man, it's on from six to nine. Aren't you tell me now? Aren't you pretty soon?
Speaker 4: Pretty soon?
Speaker 5: November? Okay, all right, okay, all right man? All right? Uh Greg Greg handsOn, Greg Hanson coming up. We'll get his thoughts on the on the on the Wildcats, and also maybe talk a little bit about our old friend Jack Record, who pissed away recently. So stick around.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one soft warehouse with everything you need for your complete home model. Shot the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, counter talks, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shot the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 4: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 9: Where do you buy exercising questions Arizona.
Speaker 10: Help Arizona Health Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle so for twelve point six million Lebron James Rookie so for five point six. Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 12: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, how to commitment to lindrixon credit rates and available loan programs are subject to change.
Speaker 13: The Unumbice It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 7: Got bugs, termites, viz or road, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying or selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Dreamy Live, I mean, iHeart radio. While this is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacobzalez Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eye the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Roberta. He's Jiggins Sauce. Now when the phone we have Greg Hanson, a long time call UMIs for the Arizona Day to Star. Greg, How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing good? Are you guys staying cool?
Speaker 4: For staying coold? It's not a bad day to day.
Speaker 5: It's not awful and it was. It was nice on Saturday night at the game because it rained about I don't know about two three hours before the game, and it cooled everything off and it was actually a pleasant night. But it's supposed to be sizzling this week.
Speaker 4: This weekend, so you know, two people show up at the game, you know, you know.
Speaker 5: How that is.
Speaker 4: Did you watch you have a chance to watch any part of the game?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I watched the whole thing. It was a struggle to stay awake. So yeah, four hour game?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, what would you for a game? An you're an hour later than us, right, so it was late one o'clock, Yeah.
Speaker 4: One o'clock. What would you what would your your lead been, you know.
Speaker 6: Other than t other than team AC. I might have written about the attendance only forty four thousand, team ranked twenty first coming off the year they had only forty four thousand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we talked about that earlier.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's going to be any better on Saturday against any of you.
Speaker 6: You know, we shouldn't be surprised because that's been the history of Arizona football and.
Speaker 2: That's why and that's yeah, that's my defense to your honor exactly we've seen it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's yeah.
Speaker 6: Except strangely enough, during this Tuops years it didn't apply.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 6: Remember he would sell out. They would sell out versusly every game.
Speaker 5: Remember that, Remember that Iowa, that Iowa game, you could not squeeze one more person into the stadium. Well at that game, what was the percentage of Wiowa fans in? Well, I know, but still the thing was full. It was I mean, I got I had half a seat at that game. It was crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 6: And when BYU plays there, same thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same thing BYU. Well, well you remember the when when O how State came I think was Dick Dick Tomy's last year or how State fans bought U of a season tickets so that they would have a seat to that game, and then they sold the rest of them and we ended up with some a s U fans sitting in our area because one of the people that we sit with didn't didn't get his season tickets before I know how State fans snapped them up. We were really mad. Anyways, Hey, so but overall, what you think, I mean, Team Mac you know went off, But what'd you think about what you saw?
Speaker 6: To be honest, I was really disappointed with the defense, right, the size of the defensive front, and how the secondary, which is a strength right, Allegedly, they just weren't good and it was a really bad team New Mexico. Maybe maybe that happened in the opener against teams you don't really get up for, but otherwise I thought it created a lot of tension about what might happen down the stretch with so many close games in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's the whole thing. It gave you pause.
Speaker 2: Right when going in, you didn't have any pause to think about what was going to happen next. Now you think, okay, to get rid of NAU and then you go to Kansas State. I'm sure you feel more concerned than you were a week ago.
Speaker 6: Well, that road game at Kansas State is going to be like playing at you know, a UFC or somebody you know in the recent years. And then after that, where's the light touch in the league other than maybe Houston. Right, I was looking Arizona schedule, I thought the only sure victory was at home against Houston.
Speaker 5: And I don't think I don't think there, I don't think there's any sure victories. But they also can win them all, you know, and they're not that they're going to but you don't. You don't see anybody on the schedule that they can't beat, right.
Speaker 6: I'm curious to see that Iowa State Iowa game this week because I keep reading that Iowa States really good. Yeah, you know I was favored over him, So yeah, that'll tell a lot about the league.
Speaker 2: So, Greg, you saw, you've seen a number of football games over the last thirty forty years here. I'm not the football guy. I was the basketball guy. And I've said this a number of times. And I said this on the show maybe a week ago with Jay that if even before Saturday's performance by Teamate, that he'll go down as the best football player to ever play here. I don't know what you think about that statement, but what are your thoughts on him?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I was just thinking that he would be a strong contender for the bullet and a coof Award, And I looked up they've had thirty Bulletan the Coff Award winners for top receiver, and only three Pack twelve guys have won that award. And it got me done some research on Pac twelve receiving. There's really never been a a huge, big time receiving star in the Pac twelve like running backs and tackles and linebackers and quarterbacks. Because I mean, you tell me who's the best receiver in Pac twelve history.
Speaker 2: The only guy that I can think of, and it just came up, it was Keshawn Johnson. And I could be I could be wrong.
Speaker 6: The all time leading receivers Troy Walters and who Yeah he played for Stanford when they went to snuck into the one rose ball. But second is that ASU guy Derrick Hagen.
Speaker 4: Okay, he got more.
Speaker 6: He cut three thousand yards worth of passes and he wasn't even a He wasn't a big star by any means. So t meck too bad to pack twelve isn't together because as you were just saying, Steve, he could go out of the greatest receiver in Pac twelve history.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm, yeah, you're right. I mean I can't think I have visions of receivers, right, uh, DeShawn Jackson, some USC guys that all I see is the uniform. I don't know who they who?
Speaker 4: They specifically texted us the Richard lyn Swan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Lynn Swan, But.
Speaker 6: That was before the Pack twelve.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true, or the pactor I.
Speaker 6: Mean named the three Pac twelve guys to win the award.
Speaker 4: Man, that's a good question. I couldn't tell you. I couldn't tell you that.
Speaker 5: You tell who are they?
Speaker 6: Brandon Cooks of Oregon.
Speaker 4: State, Okay, he mentioned his on Saturday.
Speaker 6: Mike Hosts of Oregon State and markkith Lee of US.
Speaker 5: Okay, Mike, that's what I was trying to think of. He's the one that had like three hundred and some yards against Arizona here when Arizona beat him. Right, that's funny.
Speaker 2: That's funny because even the last receiver that I remember saying, holy crap was the USC kid who got his broke, his leg broke.
Speaker 5: Uh London, London. That's yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: And they're all skinny, tall guys, which, of course, so the team A guess that's what Team MAC is.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I looked up. I looked up the Big twelve record for yards in a game, receiving yards in a game, and the only two guys to go over three hundred happened in the same game against one another.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, who was that? It was?
Speaker 6: Baylor West Virginia in twenty twelve in a seventy to sixty three games.
Speaker 5: Oh jeez, was it never.
Speaker 6: Heard of either? I've never heard of either receiver.
Speaker 5: Was it an overtime game.
Speaker 6: Taylor and Steddton Bailey of West Virginia.
Speaker 5: Was it an overtime game or anything? Or just a it wasn't. Wow.
Speaker 6: Gino Smith was the quarterback of West Virginia and he completed forty eight to fifty one passes.
Speaker 5: Jesus, and that's talking to Big twelve football. Yeah, yeah, it's too funny.
Speaker 6: We kind of want to, you know, go ahead, Tamac to become the if you counted his Arizona stat for him to become the leading receiver in Big twelve history, if he played a senior year here, he would need two hundred and one more catches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he talked about I think that yesterday that he'd have to have like one hundred and twenty in the next Yes, you know that ain't gonna happen. But you didn't answer my question. You didn't answer my question. You sounded like he's like Sean Miller there. I asked him a question, Oh the sky is blue, about being the best player to ever. And I know, you know, we have the Ricky humans, and we have the bruce Kis, and we have the Gronks. But to me, to me, when I remember two years ago he came up with a catch against Cow and I'm thinking, that's why they got this kid, and he's been great since.
Speaker 6: Man, just because just because I was here then I would always probably lean towards Chuck and Ricky. And if you were there, if you happened to be there that night one Stafford with John Elway at quarterback, got a first down of the ten with a minute ago, and Ricky broke up all four passes. I mean that kind of Yeah, I've forever not Ricky is as good as you can get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes sense, but I can't argue that.
Speaker 4: I can't argue that now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you're never gonna be wrong, right right if you say Ricky Hunley right right.
Speaker 4: It's funny though.
Speaker 2: You see the kids get on Twitter today, Oh it's the ground can he didn't play here and played like a year and a half and it's you know, it's all little the bruce Kis and and and okay give you that, but you know it's it's the last twenty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 5: It doesn't. It doesn't, all right. So, Greg, we saw that you did a you did a piece in your in your solemn on Sunday that our our friend Jack Rickard had had passed away. You had some memories of him. We all worked with him. Sad to see, you know, but you know, we we all get old, right, But you know, I just remember those years, you know, working with him against him. Uh, everybody was friends, but man, we we tried to kill each other every day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was. He was such enough big guy. Because, as you just said, Jay, the competition was extremely serious between the Citizens and the Star, and only a person involved in it would know to remain friendly with your competitors on the other guy's sports staff. That was you had to work at that. And Jack made it. Jack made it easy, I thought, because he was he was funny, he was upbeat, He liked to talk about funny stuff. I mean, he.
Speaker 4: Didn't take himself seriously. He didn't take himself serious.
Speaker 6: That's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I worked, I worked with the Emotion for eighteen years. I think it was fifteen years.
Speaker 4: He was that dude.
Speaker 5: You know you smoked like crazy smoke. Let me, I smoked because of him, because it was the defense mechanism, right.
Speaker 2: You know, I sat alongside with him and Corky and these guys. U good dude, good dude, you know loves what he did. He covered loot for a long time.
Speaker 5: Well, well, you know, in a nutshell, the reason I liked and I respected Jack was because while I you know, we were up against each other and we were trying to beat each other's ass every day, he was always willing to help you though, and I was you know, I was half his age, and he you know, if I had a question, it'd helped me. And and uh that was great. But then he turned around and beat my ass on a story the next day. And that to me that I thought, that made me better what I was doing.
Speaker 6: That's a good point. He had access to loot that nobody else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that used to piss me of right, That used to make me mad because because I not because he had it, but because I didn't. Right And and and you knew that that one, that's why you were getting your butt beat, you know when I was getting my butt beat because he did have had a level of access that none of us could get.
Speaker 4: You guys had Dick Toby playing.
Speaker 5: Okay, we had that, but he you know again, he was you know, he was just fine. He was great on the road. You know, you'd have a couple of beers, you hang out at the bar with him or whatever. You'd be smoking like a chimney and you'd be you'd just be having a great time. And I you know, and I know, you know there's the reporters today don't get that. No, they don't get they don't see that. They don't get that.
Speaker 2: And then your thoughts on that. We'll tell him the situation on Saturday. I'm sure you already know this. Greg t Max has this fantastic game. Uh you're thinking, okay, I already kind of write the story or wrote the story. And t Max not in the press room.
Speaker 6: It didn't bring him in.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, he didn't come to the press conference. Nobody got to talk to him until today or yesterday.
Speaker 6: That would have been like not bringing Sean Elliott in the night.
Speaker 5: He broke like that, led like that. Yeah, because you know I was telling Steve, you know, I mean, I I go to my car after the game, walk to the car and I turned on the YouTube, you know, to see the press conference. And when I turn it on, uh, you know, nor if f is talking and the cameras on him. I just assumed that Team AC was going to be the other the guy or was was gonna be at the table. And he wasn't there, And I'm like, what the hell? I even sent a sent a note to Steve, I said, what the hell that they? You know, the teammate he didn't come to the press conference?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I gave up after they didn't bring him in. I said, well, if you guys don't care what the ques should I let me let me The other.
Speaker 6: Thing that changed, and this goes back to Ricord too, is you always had access in the locker room in those days, so you could have gone out and talked to the team, act like we went and talked to Chuck Cecil that they have one hundred and six yards returned to be to su Yeah, I got really great stuff from him too.
Speaker 2: Question, so let me ask you, we only have a couple of minutes. You're a big time golfer. Now you don't do anything but golfer. Who was the better golfer you were?
Speaker 6: Jack he was a solid ten to twelve handicap, a lefty. He was cagy. But the best thing about him was he had all these side games going and he kept score on his own scorecard. You had about twenty bets going, not twenty, maybe ten. And the fun part was when you got done, you went in and had a beer, and Jack talied up all the winnings and losings like if you got a barkie, if you hit a tree and got a par he won ten bucks and stuff like that. It was just I looked so forward to playing with him because he was upbeat and cheerful and he could kick your butt if he didn't play well. And every time he said hey, let's play, I couldn't wait to play.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw him a couple of years ago. We had a citizen party to get together for Christmas, and he was you could tell obviously, it was kind of like, you know, he compared he had a stroke, he had a stroke earlier, and he was, uh, you know, the same guy. He kind of tried to be funny and he was he was you know, you just smelt you know, oh this is Jack.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, well we miss him. You know, he was uh you know, he was. He was, he was not. He was a competitor, but also a friend to just so many of us. And I you know, I think we all had ed greedon you know, Ben. You know we're all we're all getting old, Greg, we're all getting old. Man.
Speaker 6: Well hear you, he was, he was. I'm glad he's in the Pemac County Sports Hall Fame because he sure deserves it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, all right, man, go back to the links. Yeah, go hit the links again tomorrow. You think you might come back for a game like maybe the Texas Tech game or something.
Speaker 6: Man, the leaves are starting to change to yellow here, and that's the best three weeks of the year.
Speaker 5: So that all right, Greg, Hey, thanks much, thanks for doing this. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you, guys.
Speaker 4: Let's take the break.
Speaker 2: We can kind of reminisce about the good days with all that stuff, you know, competing and all that. So if you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 9: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 4: And your life.
Speaker 9: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today twenty second in Wilmot Arizona Health the lead answer and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial aid available. It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PIMA dot edu slash someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big what your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 4: Hey been really insured and so you way?
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands.
Speaker 4: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five to two zero three two three nine.
Speaker 5: Three three three.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the excess at Alls. It's Steve Rivera and Jagen Salvez. This is I Am a Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back to ying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera. He's jagins Aalace. You've got a guy, Henry. We have about fifteen minutes if you'd like to give us a call five to zero four one six seventy four forty. We've already talked about this where we're moving in about six days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think Tuesday, right, we start the show at the new locations.
Speaker 2: We'll have the same phone number and we'll have more lines for people to call in. So if you find it, yeah, you'll be.
Speaker 5: Able to call and we'll be able to answer the phone and put you on hold, and you know, you'll be on hold for like an hour and a half, like you're on Dan Patrick and then we'll u then we'll take.
Speaker 4: Your call, and we'll know who you are when you call. You are going.
Speaker 5: To load up our load up our our contact list, and we'll know and that if you're a bad guy and you call us, we're not gonna take your.
Speaker 4: In fact, we use a Scott call.
Speaker 5: Well, let's take this hire on the air and I on the ball, Nico.
Speaker 4: What's uh?
Speaker 14: Yes, Steve Man, did you get like a new girlfriend that likes the finer things in life or something?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 4: Do I sound a little more happy?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 14: Man, I'm surprised you're working on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh what do you mean working on a Saturday. You're not working on.
Speaker 14: A Saturday, working on a Saturday doing a show?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, No, I'm I'm working on It's good. Did you listen in.
Speaker 14: I listened a little bit. I was going to work, and my dad's like he called me up. He's like, yes, he's got a show.
Speaker 4: I'm like, let's got to show.
Speaker 5: No, this dude ain't got no show.
Speaker 14: Him and Jay take off any holidays.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true. No, but David Adams and we'll give you that. Byron Byron Evans said you want to host the show. I said, okay, let's do it.
Speaker 14: It was a good show man, things a lot about.
Speaker 4: Old yet, No, you're you're right.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: Jay asked me how to go, and I think we talked a lot about the good old days. So now we have content to talk about because of the first game, I think will be a little different.
Speaker 4: This next time.
Speaker 14: Hey man, without doing it.
Speaker 5: Again, did you go to the game?
Speaker 4: Did you go to the game? Nico?
Speaker 14: No, Man, I had to go to work.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, you got a job. That's fantastic. We're proud of you.
Speaker 14: Man, I've had a job.
Speaker 2: No, you don't. You have the jobs and you leave jobs and you take another job.
Speaker 14: Hey man, I got it. Pretty chill, Jeb.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's good that the game this week?
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you before before you go, uh, historically, do you mind the sound system?
Speaker 5: Is it whack? What is it?
Speaker 3: I mean it.
Speaker 14: Sounds like trash man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's pretty pretty compustent.
Speaker 5: The thing about think about that. It's becoming a thing, right coming a point of conversation this year for some reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind.
Speaker 14: Of bad when they first had it tones, Yeah, it did.
Speaker 5: No, it's it sounded bad since they got it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's just too loud, and it's like muscled the fire.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what people are saying, exactly. And you're on the other side, right, you're on the opposite side.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm on the the north in zone.
Speaker 5: I guess, yeah, get you No, that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well you go, thanks for checking up among me. I don't have a new girl, that's fine, that's okay, just working, just working.
Speaker 14: You need to count down, man, that's.
Speaker 4: Jay What are you talking about that?
Speaker 5: You know what? I get fired? I get fired up for twelve weeks every fall, Nico, What can I say?
Speaker 4: And then you get disappointed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then then saying.
Speaker 14: Man, having an upset stomach over the day.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't. I wasn't an upset stomach. It was just kind of crappy, you know.
Speaker 4: I just you know, that's Jaysieve.
Speaker 14: The new Mexico kids. He was coming home and now he's gonna get paid a lot of money next year, so good for him.
Speaker 4: Totally agree, Okay, thanks Nico. All right, Nico, I love his insight because he's on the money, his other money. Just just working and you coming in too hot.
Speaker 5: I was I always do first game, Steve Ian, what you what people expect? I wasn't coming in hot. I'll calm down for the NAU game.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens. We'll see what happened. I ate a mountain of lucky wishbone before and then you went to nachos.
Speaker 5: I had Yeah, I you know, I always do a preseason weight, right, so I knew my weight going in.
Speaker 4: Okay, you getting five five?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Game five, that's a five five.
Speaker 5: I get five from from uh Saturday to yesterday. Yeah, that's a five pounder.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And your doctor, I thought you said you were doing it pretty good. I was the key word was the football sea starts?
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think the key word there is was for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, anybody want to call? We got eleven minutes now, five two zero four one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 4: I'm proud of Nico. He has a job.
Speaker 2: You know, he always comes in with the job, and then you know, he keeps the economy going because he loses his job, finds another one. If I lose the job, finds another one.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 5: You're good for him. Yeah, okay, all right, what else?
Speaker 2: I'm not too sure Today's Wednesday, tomorrows. Who's the first game tomorrow? Kansas City?
Speaker 5: Kansas City and the Raven? Is that is that one of those Amazon Prime games?
Speaker 3: Or it might start I might start week two.
Speaker 4: Okay, we got another call. We'll save us.
Speaker 5: Let's take that. Hi around there and I on the ball.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jay, how's it going good?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 6: Not too much? I want to get on.
Speaker 15: I want to get on this bandwagon about the mouth, the Marching Band, you know it. I always thought that that was odd that they just mill around and then they go forth and get information too, And I really I really enjoy the Marching Band. And the thing is is the pride of Arizona. Like was it last year the year before they won the equivalent of the Marching Band Heisman? Yeah, you could only win it once, and they want it. I mean it's the band's got a lot of history. I mean they played at the first super Bowl, THEYM in a Michigan band, they you know, and then then we had all these things that they weren't supported by the Athletic department and they didn't have money and then had to put out albums to try to get you know, to try to uh pay for uniform arms and things like that, and uh, I just I agree with Jay they should make more of a production than just their program.
Speaker 5: See that and that. And that's the thing is that, you know, create some atmosphere because of the way they do it, I believe because of the way they do it, they're kind of an afterthought, right, They're they're kind of an afterthought. The people, they're not. The people don't hardly notice that they're there because they don't create anything. And so it's it's it's unfortunate. And you would think that they would want to and I don't know why they don't do it, but they just don't. And I think it's, well, I think we're I think we're the ones that are missing out on that. Well.
Speaker 15: Yeah, because when they get started, it's like going through a junior high orchestra performance. They're mailing around, bumping into each other, and then they line up and they play and it's and it's great. Yeah, but there needs to be more pageantry, exactly everybody.
Speaker 5: That's the word.
Speaker 15: College sports, college football, it's the it's the pageantry, it's it's the whole experience. And they're cutting that off and.
Speaker 5: That's what that's what separates college football from the NFL is what you said. The pageantry of college football, you know, with its fans and the schools and the tradition. You know, NFL is NFL. It's a business. You know, you got they have very passionate fans as well, but they're fans in a different way than the college fan. And that's the perfect word. I'm glad you. I'm glad you came up with that. The pageantry. And there's no pageantry to football at Arizona State.
Speaker 4: Do you go to games early to watch or care or it doesn't matter about the band.
Speaker 6: I like to.
Speaker 15: I like to get into the stadium early and and and and hear the band play in the beginning. I mean I always I always used to like to sit in the in the south end zone because the band is right there so they can hear, you know, hear them play, and hear the drum line play throughout the game and stuff like that. It just makes it more It may makes it more fun when you're closer to them and you can hear them. I just think it adds to the experience.
Speaker 5: There you go, That's that's what it does. That's what it does. So anyways, all right, well thank you so much. You know, let's get let's get the ball rolling on this man, Let's make them do something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, make them march.
Speaker 15: It's not hot enough in those.
Speaker 5: Wolves exactly, exactly. All right, man, Hey, thanks for the call, appreciate it.
Speaker 15: Take care, guys.
Speaker 5: So, hey, the the the NFL game is on NBC tomorrow. But what the hell are they doing playing a game in Brazil? Do you see that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Packers?
Speaker 5: And who the Packers? What do they even know what football is in Brazil?
Speaker 2: Don't sell them short, don't sell them short. They're gonna move it more internationally in Mexico more often, I think too. I hear you, I hear you. That's you know, you are coming in hard. You're grumpy today, you're actually know the hold on, you're more grumpy than.
Speaker 5: Usual to Oh wow, I don't think I'm grumpy. I'm just like, what the hell are they doing? Why are they playing a game in Brazil? Bunny?
Speaker 4: Probably you fand them, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, because remember when they remember when they broke into Europe, right, and it was kind of like, okay, what do they know about? But they got to learn right, and they've accepted. They go to the games and you see, you see those games on TV and the fans are they're cheering at the right times and all that kind of stuff. You know. Okay, Now you take one down to Mexico and you look, you know, and I know, Raider fan in Mexico is like crazy. There's lots of them down there, so you know there's some an understanding of football in Mexico. But Brazil, they're gonna go, wait a minute, why are you touching the ball with your hands?
Speaker 4: Telling me he's full bit hitry. You don't have to laugh at his jokes.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a joke. That's a not legitimate question.
Speaker 4: You don't have to laugh at his legitimate questions either. They'll be fine. You relax. What are you wearing? You have more money on this game too? Well, of course I will Brazil or no Brazil. No, I don't I don't care, I don't care. I'm just wondering. I'm just wondering.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm gonna losing sleep over there. In fact, I didn't know that that game was in Brazil until today.
Speaker 4: Good, good deal on the phone, right now, Yeah, I haven't answered this question, you know, just again, just.
Speaker 5: Are we going to I mean, is is you know it's football gonna spread to South America like that? I mean, they obviously see it as a market or they wouldn't be playing it down there. But what kind of a market are you gonna have in Brazil where soccer is like get out of get out of the way.
Speaker 4: Well, they'll be fine. The curiosities fans will be curious there. You know, it is what it is.
Speaker 5: You remember, do you remember you weren't you weren't here? Arizona played At the end of the eighty sixth season, they played a game football, They played Stanford in Japan. I remember that, remember that, and I remember watching the game. We stayed up to watch the game, and it was like at midnight our time or eleven o'clock our time or something like that. But like their music was playing throughout the whole game, right even you know, I mean what plays were going on.
Speaker 4: It's like the Mexican baseball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was like that, the music, because that's how it isn't in in Japanese baseball, Korean baseball. They've got music and stuff like that going on at all times. And that's how the football game was and we're like we're watching on TV. We're going like, what are they doing? But that's you know, it's just different. But I just wonder what the atmosphere will be like in a football game in Brazil and how many fans there really know what's going on or what will.
Speaker 4: Be Yeah, well, they'll have fun there, they'll have fun.
Speaker 5: Aaron Rodgers is gonna do it down. He's gonna freak him all out. You may not be carrying Aaron Rodgers is playing there. Oh it's not the Eagles. You said the Eagles. The Packer?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Pass Oh I saw Packers and immediately that Aaron Rodgers. Jordan loved they play Who do they play? Jets play somebody.
Speaker 3: Big Niners on Monday.
Speaker 4: Oh that's that's gonna be big.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there too Monday night games? Like you know or just what because before they used to play to Yeah? No, that's cool. That's gonna be a good game. You're your guy. Pretty might pull that one off.
Speaker 5: Jordan on my team.
Speaker 4: Okay, my fantasy team. Who's your top quarterback?
Speaker 5: Rock perty? Oh so he's your top guy him? Oh, good luck with that. I got Barkley Alan Kamara, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead and give him a lot. The kid would know because I know the names him. Look how many guys you got?
Speaker 5: I think we had like sixteen, sixteen sixty eight of them will be totally disasters, not because of themselves.
Speaker 4: Is the Gonzales rule.
Speaker 5: He saw.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so seven letters.
Speaker 5: I get to have fun. I get to pick players, and I get to have a fantasy team if I want.
Speaker 4: Just give me the money. Just give me the money and pretend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're doing five bucks a week. Dang it, I'm already down.
Speaker 4: Five bucks and plus the forty from last year.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Do owe you a dinner, a dinner, a lunch at at the President's place.
Speaker 5: Oh, he needed to know.
Speaker 4: Yep, they ain't going to be forty bucks. So that's that's good.
Speaker 5: You know. Oh I can if you want.
Speaker 4: Know no, no, no, your doctor will hate you.
Speaker 5: Yeah I can. I'll just have the President's plate. It's like twenty two dollars.
Speaker 4: You can take the rest home.
Speaker 5: You know. I had it once and the only thing I couldn't I couldn't finish it. But the only thing I didn't eat was they Okay, it's a lot of food. Yeah, it's a big play. Just know.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, we're almost done for today. We're running out of stead right man.
Speaker 5: Dodgers at the Angels tonight six thirty eight, So I get home and get some money on that one. Wife's for ten days, so I got I got to think of things to The guy is loose and I am loose. Just to tell you your first day. Yeah, she left this morning.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I don't call me if you're in jail. I'm no bail money for you.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't be my first call. You're not a lawyer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if your brother would.
Speaker 5: Be it come and get me? Okay you would. What'd you do? Now? I'll gonna say somebody spec like I. I mean, I do have that get out of jail free card from him because I've never been in jail, so I still have that in my wife.
Speaker 2: The stuff that he does not know won't hurt him. Yeah yeah, okay, a good show today. We'll try to get him tomorrow Friday, we'll talk more about the game. Of course I will get baby. I will have a guy from ESPN, the guy who's gonna.
Speaker 4: Be the play by play guy.
Speaker 2: But Torros turn me on him so, and then we'll figure out what we do on Friday, or any of you guys look for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, man, there was always Jake. There's always Jake.
Speaker 4: There's always Jake.
Speaker 5: We'll talk to him tomorrow, maybe get him on tomorrow. Sounds great, Okay, Okay, hey, thanks for being here. We'll be back tomorrow