Speaker 1: It is time to do what we do every Wednesday, which is take your weather questions via the Common Spirit Health text line at five six six nine oh with our favorite meteorologists That my friends would be Dave Frasier from Box thirty one.
Speaker 2: How you do it, Dave still favorite? After all these rainy days, I'll take that, you know what.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you, I was ready for a break in the weather, though, Dave. I mean it was just I'm kind of I was done with the heat. I'm not naive to think that we're totally done with summer, but this has been a nice break for me anyway.
Speaker 3: I've enjoyed the cloudy days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it was welcome there. We had gone almost two weeks with ninety degree temperatures and then we got the break starting over the weekend, and of course the last few days in the seventies, and that trend's going to continue. We might touch eighty degrees one or two days going into the holiday weekend, but right now our average is eighty six. We don't even have an average temperature, so we're going to stay cool. And there is a soba lining, as I always say, and it is been the moisture yesterday or that rain along the Northern Range and over the Eastern Plains hit the censor at DIA record rain total for the day yesterday on the twenty six. So that's the good news, right, is the break in the heat, but the moisture, the higher humidity kind of reducing the fire risks, maybe helping the western slope a little bit with drought conditions. This is not a drought busting rain for them. They got a lot of work to do. But any moisture is welcome, I agree.
Speaker 3: And how are things going?
Speaker 1: You know, we got the big fire happening on the western slope. Are they getting any of this rain? I know we're getting it on the Front Range, But what's happening over there? And what are the immediate weather impacts for that situation.
Speaker 2: They have been getting some, they haven't been getting a lot. In other words, it's not anything at this point that's going to squash the fire. Unfortunately, when you look at radar, most of the better rain is focused towards the eastern half of the state. We just have a little more higher humidity here. We've got a nice east southeasterly wind which is tapping into Gulf of Mexico moisture. There is some monsoon moisture coming up and out of the south and west. But as I look at the radar right now, it's been the same for the last three days. There's scattered showers over the west, but where the Lee Fire is closer to Meeker, they're getting some light showers. But the heavier rain is just now building over the Continental Divide west of Fort Collins, and then that's what will spread over the east. So if we could flip it and point it the opposite direction, I think it might be more helpful. But they're getting some they're getting some relief. Listen, even lower temperatures, a lower cloud deck, and higher humidity else in containing and fighting those fires.
Speaker 3: All right, that's good news, I guess. So what are you expecting? What do we got coming up?
Speaker 1: You know, I obviously I'm not asking for an exact forecast, but what's your general thoughts about the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: So I looked as I always do, and the weather pattern through our forecast for the next seven days does include below normal temperatures and I don't have a dry day in the forecast. Now I will underscore that Tomorrow I think looks like today. I think Friday looks like today. With the timing and the chains for showers and thunderstorms, we stay close to eighty degrees seventy nine eighty degrees. Some of it could be heavy as they're kind of slow moving. Saturday, I think is very similar as well, may only be in the mid seventies. So for the holiday weekend, Saturday is your web day. Now, Sunday and Monday. Between you and me, Mandy, I'm doing a cya ten percent. I think both days are actually okay. I don't think there's a lot. I don't think there's a lot going on. I think the foothills could see a couple of showers. I think the Palmer Divide south of Denver could, But I think the vast majority of the front range of northeast Colorado may get through Sunday Monday without seeing the storms. And that's your allow of temperatures to get back into the low eighties. And then the wet pattern comes back after that and we get back into the upper seventies as we get to Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Now, the long range outlook for eight to fourteen days, which is the third through the ninth of September is cooler and wetter than normal, So that would tell you the wet pattern that I'm talking about is coming back. However, in contrast, one month outlook for all of September is warm and drier than normal, So that would tell me that the second half of September might be a little warmer and drier than the start of the month, right, equalized things.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm not getting excited about this nice cold break, because I know they're gonna have another couple of weeks before I can put on my winter clothes away. Here's the question for you, what is and causes a haboob storm that's appearing in Arizona. I spoke with my niece in Phoenix and they ran a power off and on for like thirty six hours because of the haboob yep.
Speaker 2: So it's the same thing we see here. You basically have these powering thunderstorms in the line, and the thunderstorms are collapsing because of the dry climate, and that collapsing causes an outflow. We talk about that here all the time, a gush of wind. But it is so powerful, it is so linear, and because it's the desert and you have all this dust on the ground. Right, you don't have education like we do here. You basically that dusty outflow boundary from the collapsing thunderstorms is just like this giant, roaring wind that's picking up all this dust and you get this huge rolling dust cloud, which can be nasty visibility drops. You know, it gets into your cars systems, It gets into eighteen units if your windows are open. God bless you. You got a mess. Yeah, So that's what they call the same thing. We get them here. We just don't get that dry component and the dusty component. We just get the blast of wind sometimes and sometimes we do get them. We've seen them and track them on satellite in southeast Colorado where it's a little dry and there's a little more dust to kickup.
Speaker 1: This texterra said Mandy Denver is getting Seattle weather? Why is Seattle getting Denver weather?
Speaker 3: How we flipped?
Speaker 1: I'm not paying attention to what's going on in Seattle.
Speaker 3: What's happening there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I am not paying attention to it either. So I'll take the Texters that they're probably warm and dry. You know, we have a persistent flow up and out of the south and west. It's a monsoon flow. We're tapping in the moisture from the dull. All this moisture feeding in, and we've got what we call troughts, little debted waves, little stretched out areas of low pressure. Instead of being a center of circulation that's a little more elongated. And they're coming up and over the mountains almost on the daily routine, and that's helping to lift the moisture and get the showers and thunderstorms going. Most of it has been showers, as you've seen, because once the storms come off the mountains, they come down to this cool, calmer environment. But our humidity levels are due points, which we talk about all the time, due points. Our due points are running in the upper fifties. So by Colorado standards, this has been human.
Speaker 3: It's been soupy. Yeah, soupy.
Speaker 2: You step out of the shower here, normally you expect to dry off quickly. You've done that the last few days. You know, you step out and you're like, I'm sweating my right, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This texter said Mandy. We're starting to grow web feed out here in Lineman. It's glorious. So not everybody's upset about that. And lastly, I think it's very important that we give the wine Yogi credit for willing this weather into existence. She wore her fall clothes last week when she was on the show and said she was going to personally will some fall weather our way.
Speaker 3: So well done. Now let me ask you the question. Oh go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that's great, and if that worked for her, great, But if she starts telling you she's wearing winter clothing, everybody prepares.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Dave Fraser, Fox thirty one's chief meteorologists, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: Oh real quick, this one more question just popped up.
Speaker 1: Can you ask Dave where precisely at the Denver Airport is the temperature sensor?
Speaker 3: Is it like the one in Arizona, which is.
Speaker 1: The runway wins of the right direction the jet exhaust actually elevates the temperatures that from Illinois.
Speaker 3: Farm boy.
Speaker 2: You know, those are things that have they've discussed. I won't get into the details of it. You can actually google. I actually did a segment on this talking about where it is and what the same right looks like in the whole nine yards, and you can google it. It will give you the latitude longitude and you can actually zoom right down. It is east of the airport and east of the utility road in an open field and you can find it. So I would suggest that that list or just go ahead and do that, because for me to try and give you a specific location, it's easy to find. You'll see it's with a group of other sensors out there, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's good news. Thank you. Dave Frasier.
Speaker 2: Hey, have a great Labor Day weekend. Talk to you.
Speaker 3: So you too, Man, you too.