Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like that, David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Cleveland Guardians defeat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of three to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eleven o'clock tonight at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. We will hear from Andrew Freeman in about ten minutes. We had a chance to talk to the Dodgers President of Baseball Operations this afternoon after the news came out that Gavin Stone is on the shelf now, joining a few other young Dodger pitchers that are having arm issues, whether it be their shoulder or their elbow. And Andrew Freeman addressed that and also gave us an update on whether or not Stone may return this season, among other pitching topics for the Dodgers. And that's part of the reason why Landon Nack started the game tonight. And that's a good thing. You know, I really believe Landon Nack has earned more of an opportunity than he has gotten this season at the big league level. Coming into the game tonight, Landon Nack had a two e in eight starts for the Dodgers. Not to mention he pitched four scoreless to get us saved the last time we saw him in the big leagues and out of necessity. Now, Landon Nack is going to have a spot in this Dodger rotation, and tonight he did a pretty good job of keeping them in the game six innings, a career high eight strikeouts only one walk. He gave up a home run to Andres jim Menez in the top of the second inning. It was a two run shot. It was his own only mistake pitch of the game, and Jimenez did not miss it. Mookie Betts gave it a valiant effort, by the way, going all the way to the wall, trying to leap to catch it Alah twenty twenty in the bubble, but it was just too far out of his reach and landed on the roof of the visiting bullpen out there in right field. But Nack, he just knows how to pitch. He's not going to blow you away, but he understands how to mix pitches and sequence his pitches, and he has a pretty good fastball that plays here. So that's part of the reason why he's always solid. He's not spectacular, but he's solid, and tonight I think he gets close to the very impressive elite side of pitching. Tonight he threw thirty nine fastballs, twenty one sliders, eighteen curveballs, and mixed in thirteen changeups. That's a guy that understands his four pitch mix and when to throw it. He was a fishing as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: He only threw ninety one pitches, so you know, obviously it's not ideal to have these many starters on the il. The Dodgers are getting Yamamoto back on Tuesday. He's going to be limited because he hasn't really been built up, but nonetheless he's coming back on Tuesday. Tyler Glass now is going to throw a bullpen session tomorrow and we'll see where that goes after. But even when those two return to the rotation, who's pitch better than Landon Nack that's in the rotation currently right now? Bobby Miller certainly has not pitched better than Landon Nack. Whether it's been at the big league level or in TRIPLEA. Landon Nack has earned more opportunities than Bobby Miller has. And I love Bobby, but that's the stone cold facts right there. You know. I could sit up here and say give Bobby every chance you want, but the facts are Landon Nac has pitched better, and that's not a bad thing. But Bobby's dealt with a lot of different injuries and nagging things and it's affected the way he's pitched. Landon Knack deserves to be in this rotation the rest of the season. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Look this game tonight. It came down to a couple of different at bats, and the big one from the Dodgers side was not Otani's forty fifth home run, although that did help. It was a two to one game, and they got one back in the bottom half of the sixth inning. But to me, the key sequence of events took place in the eighth inning. Otani singles with one out, Muki doubles him. Muki had two doubles tonight. Muki doubles Otani to third base, and when you look at it again, it looked like Otani should have been waved home, but he was held up uh because Stephen Kwan was having issues with the ball and picking it up cleanly in the left field corner, and by the time he actually got the ball I was wanting up to throw, Otani was already getting to third base. He easily could have scored, and Freddie Freeman is on deck, and that took the bat out of Freeman's hands because Steven Vote decided to walk Freeman intentionally because Chris Taylor was on deck and Chris Taylor grounded into an inning ending double play. Chris Taylor was in the game because unfortunately, the Dodgers sustained another key injury, this one to Taoscar Hernandez, who has been maybe the best pickup by any team this offseason. Taoscar Hernandez was hit by a pitch on his left foot and he crumbled to the ground. He is one of the tougher guys with higher pain tolerances, and he just could not stay in the game. He tried to. He was walked all the way up to the first base line. He even tried to jog and it just wasn't responding, so he was helped off the field by Dave Roberts and head trainer Thomas Albert. So that's how Chris Taylor got into the game and hitting behind Freddie Freeman. That was a perfect spot for No. Not Kevin Kiermeyer. That was a perfect spot in the eighth inning. Four Dalton Rushing. Dalton Rushing, You've heard his name, and I'm not a big prospect guy, but this guy is for real from what I understand, and the Dodgers, since they let Jason Hayward go, are missing a left handed power bat off the bench when Max Munsey is in the game already. Kevin Kiermeyer is here for defense, for doing the little things, pinch running. He's not here to come off the bench to hit a three run home run or a Grand Slam or drive the ball in the gaps. That spot in the eighth inning was a perfect spot for a kid like Dalton Rushing to come up and pinch it and give the Dodgers an eye idea of whether or not he can do this in October against really good pitching. The relief pitcher that the Dodgers were facing in the eighth inning was one of the best Cleveland had to offer. Hunter Gaddis, with classe looming and with the injury to Taoscar Hernandez and Dave Roberts sounding down in the dumps about it sounds like it's Dalton Rushing time. And it's not a coincidence. The Dodgers had Dalton Rushing play left field once he got promoted to Triple A. Oklahoma City. Rushing has only caught four times in Triple A while playing in left field twenty two times. If this is not the time, then when is the time? This season? Dalton Rushing time? He could be here as soon as tomorrow if the Dodgers decide to put ta Oscar Hernandez on the il eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number going back to landon nak strikeouts a career high and six innings. Let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Land and Neck.
Speaker 4: I feel like every time I go out there, it's really just trying to do the best I can to put us in a good position to end. And so yeah, now every opportunity I get to to keep going out here and keep making pictures for these guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, between the last outing in this one, Obviously you've been having a lot of success. Guess let's just want to focus for you as of wait.
Speaker 4: We've kind of got the throat a little bit locked in now all four just really trying to get everything going early, like trying to really land they all speed, make sure it's more end zone rather than just trying to get a chase from the start, and so being able to kind of land those early is just being able to kind of set up everything else.
Speaker 2: What did you see on that home run?
Speaker 4: Just kind of kind of pulled the fastball just a little bit left it just a little bit too mental and he jumped me.
Speaker 5: So yeah, because it was a little.
Speaker 4: Upon No, it was it was one to kind of get it like just away really more than anything, and it just kind of leaked back over.
Speaker 6: Is that kind of fun that you could alt you guys, do the lean means something to work for postseason.
Speaker 7: Hopes and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anytime you kind of got a pitching duel going on is always it's always fun to be a part of. And so yeah, no, absolutely, kind of the back and forth competition of that is it is fun.
Speaker 8: It's sort of allowed you to handle the just literal ups and down, like you know, I think it's a fifth time even up here and back down.
Speaker 9: I'm up having us your quick with all that.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's really just kind of taken in a day at a time, Like I mean, obviously it's it's hard as you continue to go up and down to not kind of like think about like the future and like where you kind of are, but really just like trying to, like the cliche state where your feet are, and really just like continuing to work anytime I get an opportunity here or there, just to kind of show what we can do and uh, and just keep taking advantage of the opportunities.
Speaker 2: There's Land and Knack on Sports at LA. After pitching a very good game tonight, six innings, just two earned runs, eight strikeouts, and only one walk. Another thing to consider, with the Dodgers having so many starters on the IL now and needing to cover innings the Boston Red Sox let Rich Hill go today. Could Andrew Freeman be on the phone with rich Hill to get rich Hill to make a couple of starts for them. It wouldn't be the worst thing, especially if Tyler Glass now is not coming back for another ten days or so, and they need to cover innings as a starting pitcher to maybe get six days of rest for Yamamoto and the rest of this staff. Rich Hill would not be a bad phone call to make, and if Andrew needs America's pitcher cell number, feel free to let me know. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. In case you missed the news. Before today's game, the Dodgers placed Gavin Stone on the il with right shoulder inflammation. That's scary when you start talking about the shoulder. Gavin Stone has made more starts than any other pitcher on the team twenty five and has thrown more innings than Glass now than Yamamoto at one hundred and forty innings this season. He has done everything the Dodgers have asked him to do, and certainly it's unfortunate that his season may be over, but the Dodgers have left the door open for him to possibly return. Let's go out to the phones for the first time. Tim in Placentia. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Tim, Hey, Dave, thanks kicking the call. I just wanted to talk about the Gavin Stone deal. I think it's pretty clear, you know, even going back to the last year and a half, maybe two years or so, but whatever the Dodgers are doing from a developmental and a preservation and a performance standpoint, at least for their pictures is clearly not working. I mean, we've had an overwhelming majority of pitchers on the IL for a variety of reasons, and you know, you find yourself every year kind of wimping into October a piecemealing a pitcher stat together and what it just kind of seems like whatever they're doing, whether it's from a hey, let's all just throw as hard as we can and we'll figure the rest out or whatever it is, whatever is happening needs to stop and something needs to change quickly.
Speaker 2: Well I don't know how quickly it can change, tim I mean, just talking to people in the industry, it's an industry wide issue and also an issue at the lower, lower amateur levels. I mean, kids these days, I'm hearing going into freshman year of high school, never take a month off or a week off or two weeks off from throwing. You have these wild like showcase games that go on where kids are playing shortstop and then coming in to throw as hard as they can from the mound without taking a break all year long. So by the time the Dodgers and these other teams get these pitchers, the damage is on the way front already being done. So I'm not absolving the Dodgers in their methods or Major League teams of their methods, but this starts way before they get to professional baseball.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think the quickly piece I was a little too fired up, but I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I just think that there's too many pitchers chasing velocity and a lot of these pitchers arms are not built for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And then Dad, can I ask, you know, from a a philosophical stamp or philosophy standpoint for the Dodgers. I mean, you mentioned it the other night. It's pretty clear the Dodgers have figured out how to win in the in the regular season. But I think it's kind of stuff like this that contributes to the fact that they haven't figured out how to win the postseason.
Speaker 2: And you know, well, they started to run out of pitching and twenty one was an unfortunate ending to the regular season, Munsee and Kershaw getting hurt, they were not available and Max Schurz are tapping out, and the NLCS was also unfortunate. But yeah, there's something to be said about the last two years and them running out of pitching.
Speaker 10: Yeah, all right, Tim, you know.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, Tony, I got I got your answers for you, not for me, but from Andrew Friedman, so he touches upon your question. So don't go anywhere. We'll hear from Andrew in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 10: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim, thank you for the phone call. Before we get to Andrew Freeman, let's take another phone call in Lahabra. Steve. You're on Dodger Talk. Hi, Steve.
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm just gonna piggyback real quick. How you doing d I'm gonna pick it back quick, take your time. Got the previous caller about the pitching, I mean the Nolan Ryan documentary, every picture that was in the you know, before this new generation of pictures. I mean, they threw a lot of pitches. I just don't think they'll building up the strengthen their arms. But you did.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, and even going before Nolan Ryan. Sandy Kofax is famous for saying, you don't train for a marathon by running sprints, meaning the analogy of throwing more and long tossing helps your arm get built up for a full regular season and throwing more. By only throwing three or four innings and starts in the minor leagues, it doesn't help you for what's required up here at the big league level.
Speaker 7: Yes, and I know earlier on a show you were on today on Great Sports Talk. Yeah, how hot it was on the field, And I wonder if that affected the Dodgers in today's game. You would know more you were there. But you know, east of the Colorado Rockies, it's hot and humid starting in April, and it starts cooling down this time of year. So this was like a real you know, Dodgers playing in a heat wave. I wonder if it kind of a warm wore them out.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 2: They took minimal batting practice on the field. A lot of guys chose to stay inside. And when we did take the temper sure on the field, it was three o'clock this afternoon and it was one hundred and ten degrees by the time first pitch came around Steve. The entire field was blanketed in shade, so it cooled down at seven ten obviously.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks for all you do, buddy. You're a really hard worker and I appreciate you on all the shows you do and all the long hours you put in.
Speaker 2: Be safe, Thanks, Steve, appreciate the phone call. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope everybody's staying cool out there and staying hydrated. It's been a heat wave, and we thought the heat was behind the Dodgers after they return home from Phoenix, Arizona, where temperatures were hitting one oh nine outside, but luckily they have a dome out there at Chase Field. But it was steamy and hot in Anaheim as well, so the Dodgers were not worn down by the heat. They're very capable of performing in heat. It just wasn't there for them tonight against a really good left hander and matthew By the way, with the loss tonight and the Padres winning, San Diego is only four games back of the Dodgers. The Houston Astro shut out Arizona tonight, so the Diamondbacks remain five and a half games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. All Right, I mentioned we had a chance to catch up with Andrew Freeman. We'll let you hear from him now and then we'll check in with Jose Moda. Already, we know that Gavin Stone was placed on the il. When Andrew Freeman was asked about whether or not Stone was going to return this season, he did not say for sure he was. All he said was he wasn't sure. He's got to see how Gavin Stone responds to the treatment they are going to give him over the course of the next seven to ten days. But obviously there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding the return of Gavin Stone. So we got that Tyler Glass Now is going to throw a bullpen session tomorrow, and Andrew Freeman says he'll know more about whether or not glass Now has a better chance of returning after they watch his bullpen session tomorrow. And as far as Walker Buehler goes, that's where we started here. What his impressions have been about Buehler and whether or not he believes now with all these injuries, that Bueller may be one of his guys in October.
Speaker 11: I mean again, I think we have a really talented team. I think we're competing those really talented teams. You know, we've had a lot of guys step up and provide a Joel to us, and you know, we talk about this a lot. Obviously a lot of the focus is on the star caliber players on our roster, but we spend a lot of time on the depth of our roster as well and appreciate that it's going to be important throughout the year. This year feels like even more so than others. Which it's funny because obviously you'd want to have the depth, but not have anyone appreciate that you have the depth because you don't need it. We have needed it and then some but guys have stepped up. I mean, Landon Knack has made a number of really impressive starts for us, and now he gets an opportunity to run for a little bit, you know, So there are opportunities that are created from it, and you know, a lot of guys have stepped up, and the depth and the guys that we've had come up and fill in have been a big part of helping us be where we are right now.
Speaker 3: What have you thought about Walker the last two starts? Is that giving you optimism? He could be one of your guys in October.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean we've talked about this a lot, you know, even when you're scuffling there for a little bit, his stuff was very similar to where he was in twenty twenty one, and you know, finished, I don't remember top five in the sy.
Speaker 5: It was just about execution.
Speaker 11: Just gets to the delivery can be a little bit off, and especially as you're you know, feeling your body again and going through that.
Speaker 5: Normal pitching routine.
Speaker 11: Every five days, every six days, it can just be challenging to execute at the level that he executed before. But knowing that he was capable of it and excelled at it in the past always gave us the confidence that we'd be able to figure it out. And these last two have been really promising on that front.
Speaker 5: His ability to mix.
Speaker 11: Pitches and execute have been a huge part of why he's pitched so well, and we're really excited about where he's at.
Speaker 3: Andrew, when you talk about reevaluating just the development of pictures, do you feel like there's been too much of an emphasis put on trying to reach the maximum velocity the maximum spin rate? Is that part of you know, is that fair a blanket statement of that's what pictures have been chasing.
Speaker 11: This is a much longer conversation that we should probably do when it's not one hundred and ten and probably in the offseason. And you know, I think a lot of this starts at the youth level, and it's a little bit circular from the amateur players thinking what major league teams want and trying to seek that at a point either with not the right instruction.
Speaker 5: Or too young with growth plates still open. There are a lot of factors.
Speaker 11: But then we can't control that, or at least I cannot, the Dodgers cannot. And it's really about understanding, all right when we're onboarding a guy.
Speaker 5: And the one thing I know for.
Speaker 11: Sure is there's no one size fits all approach, and it's how to really be able to individualize how we bring pitchers along, and it's getting.
Speaker 5: To know how they recover and things that we've been trying in the.
Speaker 11: Track and know I mean, I can't imagine there's a team that has there guys go on extra rest more than us, Like.
Speaker 5: Looking at bullpen usage.
Speaker 11: Uh, you know, we're near the more concerned, you know, near the top in terms of being conservative.
Speaker 5: That's not helping in terms of staving off injuries.
Speaker 11: And so all of this we need to reevaluate and be thoughtful about and acknowledge and appreciate what we don't know. There's some we know, and there's a lot we don't know, and just do everything we can to more thoughtfully create this individualized program. And you know, we started some it's hard when we're you know, going through a regular season and the volume of games. But you know, we'll put together a group and and be really thoughtful about it this offseason and you know, rethink some of how we you know, bring our pictures.
Speaker 5: Along and.
Speaker 11: I bet that it will be anywhere from somewhat productive to incredibly productive.
Speaker 2: All Right. That's Andrew Freeman earlier today, and the Dodger dugout. Obviously it's not an easy answer or an easy fix by his answer there, there's a lot to unpack there, and like he said, that's not something that you can just overnight fix. But it's good to hear. It's refreshing to hear that he is willing to maybe examine the way the pictures are being developed and what the Dodgers can do to compensate for what's taking place at the high school. Youth level by the time these pictures get to the Dodgers, And I don't know if that's possible or not, because this is not isolated only to the Dodgers. There are other teams that are losing starters. But from the Dodgers standpoint, they've had to tap into their farm system a lot this season and last season, and a lot of times, maybe these pitchers would have been seasoned a little bit longer, and these injuries might have happened in the minor leagues and there wouldn't have been as much attention to these injuries because they happen a lot in the minor leagues to pitchers that you've never heard of or seen pitch in person. It's unfortunate either way. But obviously it's not just the Dodgers that may have to rethink what has been emphasized to these pitchers after they draft them, and what these pitchers think in college and high school will impress these major league teams. I think it's just a whole ecosystem that has to be changed. One thing's for sure. I know everybody's panicking over the Dodger rotation right now. The postseason doesn't start tomorrow. You have to take a step back and at least acknowledge the fact that Yamamoto is upright and he is going to pitch on Tuesday. You have to acknowledge the fact that, yes, this is frustrating, that Tyler glass Now has been on the IL for a second time this year and it's been extended and he is throwing a bullpen session tomorrow. So it's not like these guys season is completely over. Those two guys, the two most important and highest paid pitchers on the staff, are at least taking step forward forward to believe that they may be available for Games one and two of the NLDS. So for those that say the Dodger rotation is in shambles, yeah, right now it's not looking great, but there is still some optimism that glass Now and or Yamamoto will be ready for the postseason. You have to acknowledge that. Now, if neither one was throwing and Yamamoto was in Oklahoma City again, where glass Now is just throwing off flat ground and talking about it, then there might be some less optimistic feel around here. But at least those two guys are working in the right direction to come back. Not to mention the way Walker Buehler is pitched the last couple of times, if Walker Buehler can pitch even better the next time out against the Cubs, all of a sudden, now you got a guy that has made fifteen postseason starts with an ERA of two ninety four. That changes the dynamics of things. And oh, by the way, Clayton Kershaw does not have an arm injury. He has a turf toe. He was out here throwing as well. So it's not doom and gloom no matter how you look at it. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number, mister positive. Jose Moto will join us when we continue. After the Guardians defeat the Dodgers three to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Beassi.
Speaker 2: O Tani.
Speaker 8: These swings hits a high fly to all the center indep going back lane.
Speaker 2: Thomas, he's at the track, he's at the wall.
Speaker 11: There's number forty five home run.
Speaker 2: O'tony show, Hey Otani with his forty fifth home run of the season in the bottom of the sixth inning. Mookie Betts doubled twice tonight as well, but it wasn't enough, as the Guardians hit two home runs tonight Andres Jimnez with the two run shot off a Landing Neck in the top of the sixth inning and Rochio with a solo home run off of Anthony Bunda in the eighth inning, And that was the way this game shook out, as Landon Neck pitched very well but made one mistake to him Inez and that did him in and did the Dodgers in, who had no answer against Matthew Boyd tonight. And the Guardian's bullpen is the best in baseball, so that was an uphill task as well. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location in say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All Right, Jose Mota, Landon Nak is going to get an opportunity. He certainly has earned it, but now there is injury opportunity. Why is he so good?
Speaker 8: He is not a fard of the zone.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: If you look at Landon Knack, he throws thrice. He is not chasing chases, as he put it very nicely today, and Dave, he does not hurt himself. He is allowing himself to go out there and perform, you know, well, all the things that he's had to face. When he's pitched, well, he's getting sent down. He doesn't know what he's gonna come up. I really applaud this guy because we can talk about stuff in the fact that he throws ninety five. He had a very good tinge up in curveball today with that slider. But his mental attitude and aptitude and toughness has really shown here on the ways been utilized and the opportunity he's gotten every single time out, including a relief, He's given the team a chance to win today. Extension was great, command of the fastball was great. Avoiding the beginning was great. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, he gets hit by a guy that hit his eighth homer of the season. But he's still got a big league bat in his hands. But nonetheless, the opportunities there. Now, the main thing is you've you have a guy that has stayed ready and focused on the next task, and he is more than ready to go out there and perhaps be a bigger factor than anybody thought.
Speaker 2: Right in the eighth inning, Jose, the Dodgers had an opportunity to possibly tie this game or even go ahead. What did you think about the red light? Deno Ebol gave show Heyo Tani at third base on the Mooki double.
Speaker 8: Perhaps, you know, didn't anticipate, you know, Quwan having a lot of trouble where we were in the broadcast was I couldn't really see from the corner exactly what happened out there, but I know that the way I saw show he turning from second to third, he was anticipating going home. In that case, you know, Dino's a was thinking, Hey, you know, we're not getting good looks on anybody on the mound right now. Why would I take a chance on having somebody get thrown out? With Freddie coming behind in the inning, having an opportunity to be bigger. So I didn't get the best of looks on that, but unfortunately the ball that Chris Taylor had was right at somebody because he really had double quite hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the ideal opportunity. And Ron Washington made the wrong choice and intentionally walking show Heyo Tani and tonight Stephen Vote made the right choice. That was an obvious one to take the bat out of Freddy's hands with first base so and Taylor in the game because of Taoscar Hernandez's injury. I know you heard what Dave Roberts had to say. You know Taoscar really well, man, this is a big blow if they lose ta Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 8: I saw him limp and I I just told Pepa and Fernando this is not good because he is never coming out of a game unless he really feels like he's If he says in there, he's gonna hurt the team. But as we know, these are these are playoff games. You're playing tough teams now. The one following is after something too, and uh, I've gotta go there to pick up the pieces. Over All, the Valuers have had more il day than anybody in baseball. They found a way to get it done. Uh, there's talent coming. As Andrew Forman told you quite clearly. You don't you don't want to tap into your talent that often, but you know necessity is there, and you know you got to keep guys ready to come and whoever guys the opportunity pie is being here now and Jenter Rushing was going to get the opportunity. We don't know if it's now or later, but at some point, yes, you got to go out to pick up the pieces and and know that you play without Moukibitz for long, Timmy, he played with other bigger pieces, Mike's Month' Seeing Company and now with tells Ornandez, which does not sound very promising for the.
Speaker 7: Future.
Speaker 8: Here soon Sernay go out there and found a way to go out there and get it done, all right.
Speaker 2: Jose, one other thing for you tonight. Fernando doesn't really like to talk about the games he pitched in, but today was the anniversary one of the greatest pitching duels Dodgers Stadium has ever seen. It's the anniversary of September sixth, nineteen eighty five Mets Dodgers Fernando Venezuela against Dwight Gooden, a game that went twelve innings that the Mets won. Darryl Strawberry hit a two run double off of Tom needenfewer, but can you believe these two guys in a scoreless tie. Doc Gooden pitched nine scoreless and Fernando pitched eleven scoreless. He went into extra innings.
Speaker 8: Jose in that beautiful no radar, guns, all track man, none of that stuff. Just make good pitches and get people out. And as the game changes around with your catcher, go want there to implement a different plan. You guys react to how they're approaching it. But man, those days, unfortunately are Don Dave and you know, talking about the injuries and guys not being built up the same way. I got to just quickly say baseball has what they call the Winter Meetings. I think there should be more education from experts about what is happening, to educate everybody in the game as so how to combat this, because it is not good for the game, it's not good for the fans, and it's just unfortunate to see these star players, a young player, promising players, even veteran players go through this epidemic right now. That's happening throughout baseball. But I think overall, you know, set everybody down not just for one class or one one session, just to educate and just explain what the body's going through and why these things are happening. Because doctors that I've spoken with, you know, for the last five or six years, I said, how about bending up your foundation? How do you take stress off your arm by building up your legs and not just the start of the converstion.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a great idea, Jose, But you got to have people that are willing to listen and not feel like they have all the answers.
Speaker 8: Yeah, things like that need, you know, need to happen too. And no, you know, even bullpen sessions. You know, you don't need to track everything. Guys need to throw bullpen sessions just trying to improve on something, not just trying to beat the numbers. They need to improve on. And I know the game has changed, it has evolved all that, but uh it, this is not leading to the best results, and we're seeing it right now too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when guys were throwing more, they didn't seem to get as hurt. Maybe their careers were in as long, but these careers are lasting four years, so that's not ideal either. All right, Jose, We'll try to tackle this little by little as the rest of the season goes on. But that's certainly man, that's that's a big hard question to tackle.
Speaker 8: It is twenty one to go, one at a time, twenty one more games, see signor.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for the Dodgers to clinch the NL West against the Padres here at Dodgers Stadium on the last Homestand.
Speaker 8: Oh, make you call now, David Bestsey a lot that I just did. I called my shit nice nice, nice, very nice. Okay like that confidence, what's gonna happen? Take care, goodnight, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: There it goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. And yeah, can you believe that Fernando Valenzuela, in a scoreless tie in September of nineteen eighty five on this date in eighty five, pitched eleven scoreless innings against the Mets in a game the Dodgers lost in twelve Tom Needenfeuer giving up a go ahead two run double to Darryl Strawberry. Maybe that was some foreshadowing of what was to come in October. Let's go out to West Hollywood. Evan, you're on Dodger talk. How you doing, Evan?
Speaker 8: I'm doing okay.
Speaker 7: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: You called me, I'm doing great, all.
Speaker 9: Right, David. I just wanted to get your I just want to ask you. You know, it's not this is we're looking like the thurstraight there. We're just going to have started pitching again. As of right now, we just have Jack Battery going into the like looking at the who would I trust going into the postseason with all these injuries and yeah, but I mean I just feel.
Speaker 2: Like about Jack Clerty, Tyler glass Now and Yoshi Yamamoto and maybe Kershaw.
Speaker 9: I feel like those last three names are all big question marks at this point.
Speaker 2: I just question marks. Yes, but you have to admit they there is some hope that they are going to make it with Yamamoto starting on Tuesday, so he is back technically, and glass Now is on his way back. So right now you have Flaerty, Yamamoto, and Walker Buehler.
Speaker 9: I guess right now, Yeah, that's that is the optimistic question. I just I just have a bad feeling that we're heading towards another like Lancelin situation where we're gonna have Justin Roblinsky is starting a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think it's going to come down to that, Evan. And you know, obviously last year the Dodgers ran out of pitching. They could have started Ryan Pepio instead of Lance Slid, they chose Lance Slid. So I just feel like, I know it's not great to lose Gavin Stone, but the good news is Yamamoto and Glass now have not had season ending injuries and they're on their way back. That's all I can tell you. Let's wy don't you call call me back when the Dodgers are in Atlanta and we'll see where the rotation is at that point. That's a good amount of time between now and then, Evan.
Speaker 9: All right, David, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: You want something else, Evan, you want something else that you could call me out on right here between you and me. When Joe Kelly comes off the I l I guarantee you're going to see a nasty Joe Kelly that you haven't seen in a long time. Trust me. I believe Joe Kelly is going to bring the tinga to the mound when he comes back. How about that?
Speaker 9: I hope so? And we have we have the Buzuka coming back.
Speaker 2: How about that Yeah, Bazooka is supposed to be back on this homestand so all right, Evan, there we go. Thanks for the phone call. By the way, the chicken tinga Joe Kelly nachos by Chef Marito amazing. Thanks to Lauren and Chef Marito for inviting us into the suite to taste it. It's all Joe Kelly's recipe. And like I said, trust me, I know some things. When Joe Kelly comes back, he is going to be a brand new version of Joe Kelly. Let's go out to West Hills my area. Sasan walk us off tonight.
Speaker 6: Hey Dave, thanks for taking my call. I just wanted to change gears and just ask you a question about Yoshiyamamoto and his outing coming up next Tuesday. What do you think successful outing for him looks like considering how his rehab is gone and three scoreless innings starting.
Speaker 2: With three scoreless innings because the only pitch two in his two rehab starts. He threw fifty three pitches in his last start. So I'm looking for at least three to four innings of scoreless baseball from Yamamoto. Maybe just one run I could live with one run in four innings or one run in three innings. But yeah, that's what I'm looking for. And I'm also curious to see if he throws his slider and how often he throws his slider in that start, because there's been some apprehension by his part not to throw the slider going back to Japan for putting some stress on his elbow. So I'm curious to see that.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, thank you so much for taking my call on answering, and have a great restner.
Speaker 2: N I take Where do you live, Sesan and West Hills? You know I might run into you one day. I want to be prepared.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, And you're the Faulbrick mall if you're familiar with that area, Oh.
Speaker 2: Do I I mean, I love that sprouts right there.
Speaker 6: Sasani might see me, all right, well, I may see you there, all right, Thanks for.
Speaker 2: The phone call. That's where I grew up, Willand Hills, West Tills. That's my spot, all right. Tomorrow game two, this three game series between the Dodgers and Guardians, it will be Ryan Brasier opening the game with Justin Robleski somewhere lurking in the background. The Guardians are very good against left handed pitching. That's the thought behind the Dodgers going with an opener and maybe not seeing Robleski until the middle innings of tomorrow's game. They're going up against right hander Gavin Williams, who was bumped up a day because Alex Cobb has a blister on his pitching hand. So Gavin Williams was supposed to start on Sunday. He starts tomorrow for Cleveland. He's three and seven with an ERA of four fifty five. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at five o'clock with first pitch at six ' ten. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald who ate a whole bag of peanuts that he brought from Anaheim. Thanks to Colin Yee who ate a whole bag of pistachios he bought from parts unknown. See you could have a ballgame feel anywhere on a broadcast. In case you missed any of the show, you could find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks a lot for sticking with us. Hope you enjoyed this Friday night. Hope you stayed cool. Hopefully your air conditioner is working. We will talk to you tomorrow at five o'clock. Once again, the final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Guardians defeat the Dodgers three to one. Have a great rest of your Friday. See them