Speaker 1: Welcome to Transformation Church Podcast, where we represent God to the lost and found for transformation in Christ. We're so glad you're here and wherever you're listening from, we believe God will transform your life. Do today's message?
Speaker 2: All right? Are you all ready for the word today? Let's get to it. We're starting a brand.
Speaker 3: New series called Fearless, So everybody say Fearless. Oh yeah, this is about to be good, a cool thing if you don't know. I've got the opportunity every summer for the last six summers to preach.
Speaker 2: A series over the summer.
Speaker 3: And because during this time, our lead pastors, Pastors Michael and Natalie, take a sabbatical every single year to refresh, to reset, to get vision.
Speaker 2: Every time we come in January, we have a Word of the year.
Speaker 3: Pastor Michael spends this time praying and fasting and getting that word for the year. And so one, I'm just grateful for our pastors. And I always love the summer because it's just a fun, wild time.
Speaker 2: So one thing I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 3: You before we jump into this message is this summer, would you be praying for our pastors as they are away.
Speaker 2: Resting and resetting. You have no idea.
Speaker 3: The toll it is to lead a global movement and do all the stuff, just the regular stuff, just raising your kids, making Peter butter, jelly sandwiches, you know, just regular life stuff. Meanwhile, also pastoring and covering all of us. So if you make a commitment to pray for our pastors, can everybody just say I will?
Speaker 2: All right? All right, all right.
Speaker 3: So we're starting a brand new series called Fearless.
Speaker 2: And the truth is there's this old.
Speaker 3: Preacher saying that I heard a long time ago, which is study yourself full, pray yourself hot, and preach yourself empty. And I'm about to do all three. So just prepare your spirits. I have so much information to share with you. You literally yesterday and my wife will tell you I was in our room for like three hours studying neuroscience and your brain.
Speaker 2: And how it responds to danger and fears.
Speaker 3: So if we have a nerd moment together and you check out, it's all right.
Speaker 2: I won't even hold you to it.
Speaker 3: Just go back and listen to it. But we're gonna start off. We're gonna read Psalms fifty six, So if you got your Bible, will go to Psalms, chapter number fifty six, and we will read that scripture Psalm fifty six. If you got it, say I got it?
Speaker 2: Great? Three people. I love that Three people.
Speaker 3: Y'all are like, oh, it's just a rhetorical question.
Speaker 2: Now I'm away for you. We a beout to read God. There you go. I love the trickle in got it?
Speaker 3: Got it? Come on, some of y'all you just typing it into Google. Man, shouldn't take that long. Come on, you have to forgive us. We had a power outage today at like nine to fifty five. All the power shut out, and so we don't have the massive sky Bible, as I call it, the back screen. So you have to really read it for yourself and see if I'm telling the truth. Okay, here we go, Psalm fifty six, first number one.
Speaker 2: We'll go one through four.
Speaker 3: The Bible says, Oh God, have mercy on me, for people are hounding me. You ever had anybody hound you? Come on, I feel like my kids was hounding me yesterday. Jesus, I was yesterday almost had one of those you just stop like that.
Speaker 2: You've ever done that one? No? Just me okay?
Speaker 3: Now, literally it feels like my whole body gets electrocuted. I'm like, come on, calm down, stop it.
Speaker 2: Okay. My foes attack me all day long.
Speaker 3: I am constantly hounded by those who slander me, and many are boldly attacking me.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: It's one thing if they're trying to be passive aggressive, but it's some people are.
Speaker 2: Like, that's what you're gonna wear. Okay. It's those type of people that get you.
Speaker 3: First number three says, but when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God. So why should I be afraid? One of the most gangster lines right here. What can mere mortals do to me?
Speaker 2: It's a gangster all right.
Speaker 3: Here's the title of today's sermon, week number one, Fearless. The title is write it down. Born for danger, Born for danger. I was born for danger.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you what's something?
Speaker 3: Tea?
Speaker 2: How you doing? My lower up? Vadis get to see you? Hey, I just recognize my friends. Okay, Ah, I was born for danger. Okay, all right, we're gonna pray.
Speaker 3: Lord, thank you that we are all born for danger, and Jesus that we pray.
Speaker 2: Everybody said, all right, now let's get into it. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know where you come from now, I'm not talking about like where you were born. I was born in Bowling Green, Kentucky. So I was raised Bowling Green one fifteen Clearview Avenue. That's where my grandma stayed. That's where we spent the summers. We was wilding out back in the day when they just used to get on your bike in the morning, come back, get food at noon, and then go back on your bike until the street light came on.
Speaker 2: That's how I grew up.
Speaker 3: Now, ain't no way my kids getting on the bike to go down the street.
Speaker 2: What you crazy?
Speaker 3: No, you pedaling the circle in this driveway? That's exactly abby is way more great that could be?
Speaker 2: Like can we go on the street. No, you can't go on the street. What a car run you over?
Speaker 3: A car will literally hit you and you will break your neck and I'm gonna have to take you.
Speaker 2: I say it exactly like that. They're like, yeah, they're not gonna break our neck. And so but I grew up.
Speaker 3: And here's what I'm trying to get at is everybody, you have something in you that didn't start with you, and it's kind of your genes and your makeup and your family of origin, and there's just stuff about your DNA that makes you who you are. I got four kiddos, and they all look and act like me and my wife in different ways.
Speaker 2: And the other night, I gotta tell you a story. This is last time O. The night before, we're.
Speaker 3: Sitting at the dinner table and we're going around and this is just a random family activity.
Speaker 2: We're making up jokes and.
Speaker 3: Riddles, just making them up on the spot, and people got a guess.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie it. I was crushing it. I was.
Speaker 3: I was doing so well. I'll give you one right here. I'll see if I remember it.
Speaker 2: Well was uh, okay, what has I but no face? What has uh? What was it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Runs but has no legs? And then what was the last one?
Speaker 3: I don't remember the last part, But.
Speaker 2: Anyways, anybody got a guess?
Speaker 3: A shoe eyelets on the shoe, runs but doesn't have legs, stinks and doesn't have a nose.
Speaker 2: Boom, That was it? Shoe. I'm great a riddles. Okay.
Speaker 3: Anyways, so we're doing riddles. Some of y'all get that. Next week that's how good that riddle was. Man, I've got so much time. Okay, uh, so we're doing riddles. Abby goes, Now, listen, here's the thing. We've all got our strengths. Clearly, I'm up here doing mine. So Abby goes. And I'm not saying the riddles aren't her strength, but.
Speaker 2: So Abby goes to do her riddle and we're all just.
Speaker 3: Staring at her like I don't even what are you? And the kids are doing this as well, and so we're like, you gotta add that state.
Speaker 2: She only had one identifier, she didn't even have three. It was just like, what is high but not low? I don't know what she said, but it was rains but no clouds. I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I still don't even remember what you said. See it's bad right now, it's bad. Then it was bad now she said it's a.
Speaker 2: Shower, rains but no clouds, a shower.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Yeah, that's how.
Speaker 3: I felt when she did it the first time. So but I promise I'm going to preach, but just wait. So she does that exactly how that just.
Speaker 2: Went, where y'all are like, what, I don't we do that?
Speaker 3: And Luna Rose Metcalf who has strong Metcalf DNA, and I mean that in her soul. She is a strong black woman in her soul. On the outside, she's blonde hair, blue eyes. Oh look, the screen's back.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So but Luna, right when Abby says a shower, she goes, oh my gosh, that joke was so dumb.
Speaker 2: She said, this girl is so dumb.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately I busted out laughing early and I was like, Luna, you cannot say that.
Speaker 2: She's like, what that joke was so dumb?
Speaker 3: And I wish I could say she didn't get that from me.
Speaker 2: But she did, because that's what I thought when she said it. That is such a bad joke. But that's just looked like that came up out of her soul. She did. Ain't nobody teach her that, and she ain't. I'm not out out here, call up here. She just felt that. And what I'm getting at is there.
Speaker 3: Stuff that is in your lineage that only in the right circumstances will it present itself. And I want to let you know in case you don't know that the history of the church is.
Speaker 2: A people who were born for danger.
Speaker 3: Now I know this isn't something that we commonly talk about because we think we're just supposed to be in here, and we sing her songs. And then we got out in the world and we live very shy, quiet, don't interrupt anybody, don't be weird, don't be strange. And then we come back and we do our thing all over again. But this heritage of this movement started with people who could care less about danger because they knew where they were going when they died.
Speaker 2: And I am afraid the core element.
Speaker 3: That makes the church the church has gotten lost in the last two thousand years. The origin in this movement was not made in pews. It was made by people who were writing in prison saying they're.
Speaker 2: About to kill me.
Speaker 3: But before they do, let me tell you something. To live is Christ and to die is Gain, so they can take my life.
Speaker 2: You're born from danger.
Speaker 3: This was not born from just some cute little things that we do on the side. It was born from people like a young man named David. David's who we read in this scripture, who's a young shepherd boy and there's a giant who is attacking God's people, and he rolls up as a teenager while all of Israelites the best warriors are hiding.
Speaker 2: And he says, who is this and listen to how gangster this is? He says, who is this? Uncircumcised philistine? He really cooked that man.
Speaker 3: It's like God's up, but he rolls up on a giant kills him. Born from danger, Born from danger. God named Moses. Born from danger, goes up to Pharaoh call himself a god at the time. This is why God deals so harshly with Pharaoh, by the way, because some people have beef with like the ten plagues and like, oh my gosh, God, such a terrible god. No, Pharaoh was one of the only people in ancient times that compared himself and said I am a god.
Speaker 2: There is no other god. Did it? Wasn't the claim that they worshiped other gods.
Speaker 3: Pharaoh thought he was God. So God said, oh you think you are a god? Okay, bet, I'm gonna take your river, I'm gonna take your food, I'm gonna take your stuff. And just to remind you, nobody else, there's no other God like me. Born from danger, girl named Esther who rolls up on the king. Born from danger, you go to the New Testament. Born from danger, Jesus Born from Danger.
Speaker 2: Paul all the scriptures we love to read. He's writing from prison. They're throwing him in jail. He's about to get out. Born from Danger.
Speaker 3: There's apostles who they boiled them in hot oil and they wouldn't die. Ship them to an island. They won't die. Born from Danger. Early Church history, if you study early church history, there's a girl named Perpetua, and she's in the colosseum, like the Roman colosseum, and they tell her she's a high Let me give you the context. She's a high Roman official's daughter. She gets into the movement of Christianity, and to prove a point, they say, we don't care who your daddy is. We're killing all Christians. So they come to her and say deny your faith or will throw you in the colosseum or in the arena. She says, I'm sorry, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: So they take the government's daughter thrower in the arena.
Speaker 3: She's standing there. The gladiators are fighting. They stab her. She stands there, pulls the knife in a little closer and says, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now, help me reconcile that movement.
Speaker 3: With a bunch of people commenting back and forth in the comments.
Speaker 2: And that's supposed to be brave. That's what our faith has become. Our faith hasme.
Speaker 3: I come in here, I sing my songs, I go argue on the internet. Nobody at work knows I'm saved. I don't want to be too weird. And now I'm a part of the same movement. Baby, No, no, don't no. Not the same thing. Not the same thing. You were born from danger. Now, when I originally said that, some of you had issue with that because because you think danger, Like, bro, we're supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be Oh, what's happening where y'all lefting at?
Speaker 3: Sermon title goes here? Yeah, hey, give us a second. We had a power outah. But when I said born from danger, some of you are are danger adverse.
Speaker 2: You're like, I don't mess with danger. We don't do danger.
Speaker 3: Why because as a kid, we are all reminded and think if.
Speaker 2: It's dangerous, we don't want to do it. Because y'all want to do dangerous things. Because when you're afraid, it's because it's dangerous.
Speaker 3: My daughter Blue, she was on the back of the couch, standing on it. They're jumping off. We clearly have no rules in our house. We gave up rules a long time ago.
Speaker 2: And they're standing on the couch, they're.
Speaker 3: Jumping off, and Sonny, she's thinking, I cannot jump, I might fall. So the assumption is it's dangerous, you don't want to do it. And here's the connection. Many believers and many people think, if I want to have less fear, I need to have less danger in my life. That's how you control your fear, because things are dangerous make you afraid.
Speaker 2: But here's what I can't reconcile.
Speaker 3: Why would the marker of our movement being God calling us to do dangerous things? Things meaning like all of jesus friends were murdered because they, like Stephen stoned to death for his faith.
Speaker 2: So clearly dangerous, clearly and over three hundred times the Bible says, do not be afraid.
Speaker 3: Why is it the mark of our faith is for us to live a dangerous life, meaning dangerous relationally, because we're not connected. Dangerous in how we live, dangerous in taking risk, dangerous and starting things people.
Speaker 2: Won't start, standing up. When people won't stand up.
Speaker 3: We are called to live a dangerous life, and he calls us not to be afraid. Here's the connection. I want to say, this will kind of act as like a core point, and then I'm gonna We're gonna go through the Bible. Here's the idea. Danger is inevitable. Fear is optional.
Speaker 2: Danger is inevitable.
Speaker 3: There is something in your life that will be quote unquote dangerous.
Speaker 2: What do I mean by that.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about evil caneval I'm talking about in some theory, it'sous to get married because you don't know if you could trust that person, so you don't know how it's gonna go. You in theory, is dangerous to try to have friends because you don't.
Speaker 2: Know if they'll be with you or they'll a bandy.
Speaker 3: It's dangerous to have kids because what if something happens and it goes wrong. It is dangerous to do I'm talking about there is danger in life.
Speaker 2: But you being afraid is optional. You have the choice whether you want to be afraid or not.
Speaker 3: Now I know it's like, what do you What does this man say?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go. We all ready for the nerd part of the sermon.
Speaker 3: Okay, she said, we'll try I love that. Okay, here's the thing. Uh, there's a scientist, neuroscientist named Joseph. I'll spare his last name because I mispronounce it. Every Diman said for the last forty years, he's stead of your brain. Here's how people traditionally understand fear. Fear happens in your amygdala, which is your reptile brain, just instincts. That's what people understood. When you're afraid. Your brain says, oh my gosh, we're terrified. Palm sweat, heart races, adrenaline, and you do a couple of things fight, flight or freeze. There's a new in the added fawn, which is like people pleasing. Is anybody ever heard of this fight or flight? Anybody just heard that term? Okay, So that's how people understand fear. When you're afraid, your body immediately goes into that thing because it sense is danger. Here's what his research has been proven over the last forty years that your body processing danger and you being afraid are two totally separate things.
Speaker 2: You can be in danger and not be afraid.
Speaker 3: Here's what fear is. Fear is not just the awareness of danger. It's the awareness that it's happening to you.
Speaker 2: Here's what I mean by that.
Speaker 3: If you go into the woods and the bushes.
Speaker 2: Rustle, danger. Your brain's gonna.
Speaker 3: Go whoa hold up, Hey, what is that?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Boom, heart rate spipes, your palms start sweating, and you go into one of three.
Speaker 2: Some of you are like, I'm about to fight a bear. Some of you all like I'm running.
Speaker 3: Some of y'all freeze and you don't even realize what's happening. That's the danger part. So danger is information. Fear is the meaning you assigned to that information.
Speaker 2: Danger says something's gonna happen. I need a run.
Speaker 3: Your brain says it's a bear. It's gonna eat me. I'm gonna die. And when the bear eats me, I'm gonna die. Then who's gonna take care of my kids? And then I'm gonna do? And then anxiety is you continuing to build out that scenario. I'm really trying to help you because this is gonna all click danger, this is this is strange. I don't know how this feels. Fear says, yeah, but let's make up a story about that that includes our involvement.
Speaker 2: Now we're gonna go to our scripture.
Speaker 3: I promise it is all gonna come together at the end, because you're all staring at me like I stared at my college teacher when I went for one month and bailed. But we're gonna do it. Here's the thing we're in Psalms fifty six. The context of this, which is important for you to know. He's writing this, my foes are attacking me. I'm getting hounded, but I won't be afraid. The context is Samuel twenty one, the story of David. He's on the run from a guy named Saul. All you need to know about that saw hates him. He's on the run. Guess where he runs to. He runs to Goliath's hometown. So the guy he killed, y'all remember he slung the thing bam, knocked the guy down.
Speaker 2: He runs to his enemy's hometown and is.
Speaker 3: Hiding because he's terrified he's gonna get killed. That's what Sosng fifty six is. So when he's riding, my foes are attacking me. I'm scared. He is in his enemy's hometown, terrified.
Speaker 2: And here's what the Bible says.
Speaker 3: This is hilarious to be because when you picture him writing this scripture, you don't picture this part. But the Bible says, in order for the king not to kill him. He starts acting crazy. Y'all don't know this, okay, let me read it to you. Let me read it to you. Let me read it to you. Let me read it to you. Let me read it to you. Hold on, where's it at? Samauh okay? First, sam of yo, look at this.
Speaker 2: So David escaped from Saul and went to the king of Gath as Goliath. You see the connection there. But officiers were unhappy about this. Isn't David the king of the land.
Speaker 3: Isn't he the one that people were honoring with dances, singing? Saul has killed this stout. David's tens of thousands. Come on, somebody all heard that. Remember the named David, y'all? Remember that that's what that is. David heard these comments and was so afraid, so he pretended to be insane, scratching.
Speaker 2: On doors and drooling down his beard. So I get the picture. I can't not pass this.
Speaker 3: He's literally like when when my enemies.
Speaker 2: Are attacking it.
Speaker 3: He's acting crazy, y'all thinks is as funny as I think this for this is hilarious. Superhero David is acting insane because he's in a dangerous situation. But here's the proof of the neuroscience. He says, I can be in a dangerous situation, meaning I'm in the enemy's camp and they're about to kill me. Yet when I am I will not be afraid. When I am in danger, I will not be afraid. Here's all I'm trying to say to you. Danger in your life, however you interpret that. I'm not talking about driving fast. I'm not talking about doing something stupid. I'm talking about whatever you interpret as risk, whatever you interpret as a threat.
Speaker 2: Some of you, it feels dangerous to.
Speaker 3: Actually step out and start the business God calls you to start.
Speaker 2: Some of you.
Speaker 3: The honest truth of why you're single is because it feels dangerous to trust somebody because you saw your parents marriage. So you cover it like, oh, I can't sing, I can't find the right person. The truth is you're terrified to commit the danger of being the only different one in your family. You were raised in a completely different religion, you were raised in a completely secul their environment, and it feels dangerous to actually claim your faith. The danger at your job actually standing up for your faith, the danger of God tells you to pray for somebody, and you go up to them and you just pray for them.
Speaker 2: The danger of.
Speaker 3: At your school starting a Bible study, whatever you interpret as danger, it's inevitable. But you do have a choice on whether you're afraid or not. Here's here's the idea with fearless. The goal is not for you to be fearless. Actually, fearless would would low key be idiotic. Let me just explain this for a second. If you go into the woods you see a bear, it's not the time.
Speaker 2: To be fearless. I'm fearless. I'm gonna fight this bear.
Speaker 3: No, you're gonna We're gonna be praying for your family because you're gonna be gone. Man, you don't need to be fearless, But because of Jesus, you have the option to fear less than other people. You do not have to live your life afraid. And here's the summation of of this sermon series. I wrote a book, God Chose Me. Here's the connection. What good is it if God chose you? If you are too afraid to do what He chose you for? So here's the that's really the whole sermon. When we spend a lot of time God Chose Me. That's just to get you confident, secure, you know your love, you know you're but you can be chosen and still never do what He chose you to do. You can be valued by God, love by God, secure in God, and live your whole life afraid of what people think about you, Afraid of losing something, afraid of how your life's gonna turn out, afraid of risk.
Speaker 2: So you live your whole life loved, but.
Speaker 3: Never actually living, secure in your faith, but never actually stepping out. And what I'm trying to get at in this sermon and really in this series is you will never experience the fullness of the life God has for you until you stop letting your fear control your life. You have to stop letting fear control your life. And I know traditionally we're like, oh, I'm not afraid, there's no us. But what I'm talking about over the next couple weeks, we're gonna talk about four core fears.
Speaker 2: Here's my theory.
Speaker 3: Everybody in this room, there's one of four fears that you have. It's the fear of man, which is what a people think about me.
Speaker 2: Your whole life.
Speaker 3: It boils down to what a people think about me. How do I know because you're doing people pleasing, so you don't say stuff you really want to say because you're afraid of what they think. You don't do what you want to do because you're afraid with You don't go where you want to go, because you're so everybody. It's either the fear of man, it's the fear of loss, what if I lose what I love?
Speaker 2: How do I know that one?
Speaker 3: Because you're usually a little controlling. I don't want to lose my kids, so I control them. I don't want to lose my money, so I can.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to, so I'm afraid of losing, so I control.
Speaker 2: The fear of man, the fear of loss, the fear of failure, what if I don't have what it takes.
Speaker 3: I understand this one because if you struggle with this one, you'll act like you don't want to do stuff that you really want to do, and you'll be like, oh, no, I could have, but I just didn't want to know. The truth was you were terrified you were going to fail.
Speaker 2: So you never started.
Speaker 3: The fear of man, the fear of loss, the fear of failure, and this last one, the fear of inadequacy. What if there's something fundamentally broken with me? All of your fears, We'll go down into one of those. You're afraid of what people will think, you're afraid of if you do it, you won't have.
Speaker 2: What it takes. You're afraid that something on the inside of you is broken, or you're afraid if you try you'll lose something. So what do we do.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna shortcut the next four weeks, so I'll probably have to rewrite the next four sermons. But when you replace all of those fears, not to remove them. I hate to inform you to this. God doesn't want.
Speaker 2: You to remove those fears.
Speaker 3: You have to replace them.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am this. Okay, here we go. There's two types of fear in the Bible.
Speaker 3: And I'll save you a lot of my nerd stuff because I can see you guys aren't tracking today. I don't know what it is. I mean, you need to sleep better next week because you're not tracking. And it's okay, but don't come back here like this next week.
Speaker 2: Lock in. Come on, I do this every time I preach.
Speaker 3: You're like, what no, but you're thinking caps on? Come on now, two types of fear. I'll save you all the boring Hebrew. One type of fear is oh like, oh no. The other type of fear is all like, oh my gosh. There's a difference. There's oh no, what's gonna happen? Then there is the awe of something. So when you have the fear of man, which is, oh no, what do they think about me? When you have the fear of losing, of what's gonna happen? When you have to you have to replace that fear with a different fear. This is where the scripture calls the fear of God. Here's how you replace these fears. One fear says, what what.
Speaker 2: Am I going to do?
Speaker 3: And what do they think about me? What if they don't accept me if I do this? Here's a better fear to replace. That is what if you spend your whole life being loved for someone you never were. I see your fear, I'll raise you a better one. What if I don't have what it takes? What if you do, but you were so afraid to try you never found out.
Speaker 2: What if they think I'm weird?
Speaker 3: What if your prayer worked and their family line was changed, but we don't know because you never did it. God is not asking you, oh, I'm just gonna take all these away. No, I want to give you a better fear, which is when you fear and you are in reverence of me. Not fear like you're terrified, not fear like oh God, he's gonna hurt me, but a fear that understands my dad can handle this.
Speaker 2: There's a different type of this. I was talking. I'll never forget this.
Speaker 3: I was having a conversation with Belle and Avia pastor Michael, the two daughters, and randomly they'll come over to our house after church, and I was wearing a hoodie and it said fear of God.
Speaker 2: She's like, what does that actually mean?
Speaker 3: And I was like, you know, how like if you in a troubling situation, like maybe something's going on, your fault is oh, if.
Speaker 2: I go get my dad, this is going dad. I say, you know that feeling, but you also know when Dad saying Isabella.
Speaker 3: You also know like, hey man, lock in, but you're not scared, but you are a little like, hey.
Speaker 2: Let's lock in.
Speaker 3: There's this beautiful place with God where you know you're loved, So you're not afraid in that regard, but you do understand he is God, and this is a beautiful place to understand of God.
Speaker 2: Job learns this place of God in the Bible.
Speaker 3: Job is complaining because God stuff's happening in his life, and he's like, God, why are you doing this?
Speaker 2: Why are you doing that? Blah blah blah blah, And so Job kind of.
Speaker 3: Starts firing back off at God, and God kind of just lets him do his thing, and then God kind of crosses over into the fear of God. Said, He says, okay, Job, real quick, brace yourself like a man. Where were you when I put Leviathan in the ocean? Where were you when I hung the stars in the sky?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 3: And this is God flexing saying, hey, before you get out of a lineman start demanding stuff from me, just remind yourself that's my breath you got right there. I'm the one keeping your heartbeat right now. So just calm down, all right, We're gonna get out of here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna close this thing down.
Speaker 3: Here's what we're gonna do. Man's first fear. We'll shut it down. Go ahead and send the keys because we're gonna get out of here.
Speaker 2: I'm serious.
Speaker 3: What come on, man, y'all expecting me to be way too professional up here.
Speaker 2: Y'all gonna really have to okay, Man's first fear. Adam and Eve are in the garden.
Speaker 3: God creates everything, perfect, perfect, beautiful. They have purpose, not having to strive for anything, not having to make anything happen. Everything is perfectly provided for them where they are. And the Bible tells us that Adam and Eve. We don't get this directly, but it's an inference based off of what happens in Genesis chapter three. The snake comes to the woman, Hey, why don't you eat from that tree?
Speaker 2: And the woman goes back and forth. She's like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We're gonna die if we touch it, which is interesting because God didn't say you'll die if you touch it. He said you die if you eat it. Which the thread of this is humans love to add on to what God said, and when you start adding on to what God said, it always gets you in trouble. That's just a separate little bit there.
Speaker 2: She touches the apple.
Speaker 3: The Bible tells us they both suddenly are aware that they're naked.
Speaker 2: They've always been naked, but all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: They take off running and they sew up fig leaves and cover themselves up.
Speaker 2: The Bible tells us in Genesis three.
Speaker 3: That Adam heres God walking in the cool of the day. Now, this is so interesting and the language is just beautiful here because the original.
Speaker 2: Hebrew word is the same word for spirit. It's ruach.
Speaker 3: And this word when the Bible says that the spirit of the Lord was hovering above the waters, it's the same word that means they hear the wind of God coming through the trees.
Speaker 2: This is the language.
Speaker 3: The garden starts rustling, and they can't see anything yet, and they don't feel anything yet, but they feel this noise. And here's what happens. What does your body start doing? Well before this moment, they would have ran to that noise. Why because fear is not a part of the picture at this point. Fear is nowhere to be found. So when the bushes start rustling, I know who's there. I know my father's there. I know I'm safe here. I know I'm secure here. But what does the Bible? The Bible says that they sowed fig lees and God.
Speaker 2: Can't find them. Adam and Eve, where are you?
Speaker 3: When God asked a question, he's not asking for himself he's asking for you.
Speaker 2: Do you know where you are?
Speaker 3: And the Bible says they come out and this is the first mention of the word fear in human history. I'm sorry God, I was. I was afraid because I was naked, and so I hid. Now, if I'm God, I'm thinking, thank God, I'm not God. But as I read the story, I'm thinking, what you mean, you afraid because you was naked?
Speaker 2: You always naked.
Speaker 3: Why of a sudden you always been naked, but all.
Speaker 2: Of a sudden, now you're scared to be naked. Then here's what I realized.
Speaker 3: And if maybe you were a little more locked in, I would explain the science to you, but we can't go there this week.
Speaker 2: But it blew my mind.
Speaker 3: I thought this was true based off my reading, praying, and studying of the scripture. Then I spent five hours studying science, and science confirms your brain understands your fear this exact same way. And here's the idea. Fear is what happens when your self awareness outpaces your God awareness.
Speaker 2: Fear is what happens up until this point. They're not self aware, they're not self.
Speaker 3: Conscious, they are naked and free, They're not insecure. They're not worried. They're not afraid of what people think. They're not afraid of how they look. What does Adam think about me? What does she think about me? Did I name this animal?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Am I doing? They're not aware of that? Why because their self awareness is so low and their God awareness is so high that they can't even have time to think about themselves.
Speaker 2: But when does fear show up?
Speaker 3: Fear shows up when you start thinking about you more than you're thinking about God. So you start thinking, I can't raise these kids, How am I gonna do it?
Speaker 2: And what happens if the thing goes out?
Speaker 3: And what happens if the business doesn't work out, and what happens if I can't take it?
Speaker 2: And what happens if they don't love me? And what happens if they leave?
Speaker 3: And what happens is But when you will stop for one second and remind.
Speaker 2: Yourself, I don't have to think about me. It's not my breath in my body.
Speaker 3: This wasn't my idea, this isn't my church. These aren't my children, this isn't my plan. If it was up to me, I would have been dead and gone a long time ago. But thanks be to my God, who's keeping me alive, who's put breath in my body, who takes care of my children, who bottles up every one of my tears.
Speaker 2: You want to know why you're afraid.
Speaker 3: Is because you underestimating God and you're overestimating yourself. You're thinking about what you would do in this situation. And let me tell your friend, you don't having to raise the kids. That's why you're afraid, because.
Speaker 2: You know you. I was having a friend with a conversation with a.
Speaker 3: Friend and we were talking about raising kids, and her kid is going to high school, and she said, because I'm thinking about what I was doing when I was that age, and if they're doing what I was doing, we're all cooked. Please don't be doing what I was doing when I was doing what I was doing.
Speaker 2: And that's what fear is. Fear is God says, start the business. And instead of thinking of.
Speaker 3: The fact that an eternal, infinite, not bound by omnipresent, omniscient God is talking to you bowl of dust with his lungs in it. Instead of thinking about that, you think about, well, I hang out no money.
Speaker 2: Wait. Wait, the guy who.
Speaker 3: Spoke the stars has taken an idea out of heaven and handed it to a bucket of dust on borrowed breath who he saved because he wanted to when you were not thinking about him. And you want to talk about made up green pieces of paper that we've assigned as how we do what we do or not? Oh my gosh, I think we've got an out of order. Hey, I need you to go up and pray for that person. But God, what if they think I'm weird?
Speaker 2: Wait? Wait, wait, wait a second. That it can't be. That can't be what we're thinking about. That can't be.
Speaker 3: God can't be trying to somehow supernaturally speak to you about someone you've never met and giving you a prophetic word or a word of knowledge from heaven that Susky has opened up and.
Speaker 2: Imparted into your spirit.
Speaker 3: Go tell them, no matter what people say, they are loved.
Speaker 2: But God, what if that's weird? And what if that's strange?
Speaker 3: You have no idea that their parents spent their whole life tearing them down, and instead of having God use you and passed through you and prove to you and them that He is real, we're over you're thinking, But what if it's weird? And what if it's strange, and what if I'm wrong? And if what if? What if God is God? Let's go down that road for a second. What if it's not an accident? What if it's not just a happenstance. This is why it baffles me people arguing that the whole universe is there was a random explosion and your life is just chance.
Speaker 2: I will, let's let's go down that road.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the whole God thing because the seven days of creation, I don't. I'm not arguing that. But you're telling me that your whole life is an accident. It's just a random explosion, and you know, explosion monkeys us.
Speaker 2: That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That's so dumb. And I love you if you believe that, I do. I love you, and it's dumb. It's dumb.
Speaker 3: What if.
Speaker 2: Outside of time there was a God who.
Speaker 3: Was like, Okay, I got I gotta I got everything, or got the trees, I got the fish, I got the But there's something there's something I need, There's something missing, there's something missing where there's nobody to enjoy all of this, and I need to. What if he was thinking about you back then, you don't ever think about that, because he's all knowing and he stands outside of time.
Speaker 2: Chance is three. He's thinking about you.
Speaker 3: He starts with Adam, but he's thinking about you.
Speaker 2: And the whole story of man.
Speaker 3: Is God trying to invite us into an impossible life and us being so terrified of what the other created piles of dust think about us.
Speaker 2: Come on, just do it. But what if they come on?
Speaker 3: Just trust me, What if they come on, you can do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can't. And God is begging and pleading, just like.
Speaker 3: He did in a dangerous situation where there was a storm and.
Speaker 4: The disciples are on a boat and it's obviously dangerous, but someone in the boat realized I can be in a dangerous situation.
Speaker 2: But fear is a choice. And if I look out on the water and that man that called.
Speaker 3: Me when I was nobody says, step out of this boat, what business do.
Speaker 2: I have sitting in this boat listening to you? And here's the thing Peter always gets so much flack.
Speaker 5: Peter couldn't keep his eyes off Jesus. He couldn't keep his eyes on Gee. He didn't, he didn't. I mean, if that's what it's a problem. You got to keep your eye. That's the problem. You've you've never got out of your boat.
Speaker 3: Who are you talking You've You've never gotten out of a boat ever in your life.
Speaker 2: You've never don't come over here talking to me. You've never gotten out of a boat.
Speaker 3: And here's here's my plea is we will read this book, believe this book, but then not live how the people were reading lived. Think the book's broken, and leave your faith.
Speaker 2: But you can't.
Speaker 3: Extract the message from the method. So you can't take out the boldness that Paul walks with when he says, before I was born, God chose me. You can't just extract that and put it on a T shirt and not be willing to go to jail for what you believe. And I'm not talking about, oh, it's proof that you love God because you go to jail. Know what I'm saying is, if you're arguing with praying for a friend, you're a.
Speaker 2: Little disconnected from what he meant.
Speaker 3: If you're worried about what people are gonna think when you say I'm gonna I'm gonna quit this and I'm gonna step into this, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that.
Speaker 3: If if he's asking you to do it, just I promise you it's worth it. I promise, I promise, I promise, I promise you don't have to be so afraid. So I'm twenty seven. I read it when we started. Somehow I'm sweating so much. These glasses are fogging. I don't even know how that happened. The Lord is my light and my salvation. So what am I afraid of? Here's what he's saying.
Speaker 2: When it gets dark, I got a light, and when I die, I'm with him. What I need to be afraid for.
Speaker 3: You know, that's the only really like ace car we got. The whole idea is supposed to be, we live so boldly because we know the thing that humans are terrified of the most dying we ain't.
Speaker 2: Got to be afraid of.
Speaker 6: That's really supposed to That's the central idea of this whole message. You being salvage the salvation of your soul is supposed to produce boldness on the earth because you know my.
Speaker 3: Eternity is secure, so I can live how I need to.
Speaker 2: Right here, I prayer.
Speaker 3: For everybody is that whatever you have deemed too dangerous, whatever you have deemed too much of a risk.
Speaker 2: The thing you want to do but you're afraid to do because what.
Speaker 3: People might think if you do it.
Speaker 7: That thing.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is is if you get out the boat, we do have proof you can walk on water. We do have proof. If you start the business, there's proof it can work. If you work on your marriage, there's proof God can restore. If you share your faith, there's proof God can use it. And I just don't want to get to the end of my life with a bunch of man I wonder when would have happened. If so, here's what I do. I'm gonna pray, and here's what I'm gonna pray for. I'm gonna pray that God would allow us in the next seven days, next seven days too, by any minuscule amount, become less aware of ourselves and more aware of Him, just any point zero zero one percent, if we could just a little bit less aware of our faults are fit and a little more aware of Him. And here's the thing. Your self awareness, or your awareness in general, it grows by what you give your attention to. So what I give my attention to is what I become aware of.
Speaker 2: Me and a friend. We're joking.
Speaker 3: But the New York Knicks won the finals.
Speaker 2: And his go next and his awareness.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened to his, But his algorithm is only the videos of the eighteen easy crackhead Knicks fans that are beating up people. It is terrible, completely terrible. I ain't seen that. All I see is New y'all, New y'all, like people are singing in the streets and flying. But you know, your algorithm is just a reflection of your attention.
Speaker 2: So there's also my friends algonam.
Speaker 3: He's got videos of health and fitness and all these everything that I don't have, because when I give more attention to.
Speaker 2: It shows me more of your life. Works the same way.
Speaker 7: If you give more attention to God, you see more of it. If you give more attention to His goodness, you see more of it. If you give more attention to hope, you see more of it. If you give more attention to the grace of God, you see more of it. If you give more attention to.
Speaker 3: The generosity of God, you see more of it. This is why you can't trust everybody that tells you that the world is terrible and it's bad. And we're all cooked.
Speaker 2: That's what they're giving attention to.
Speaker 3: But as for me and my house, what I see is it's darker, and that means the light is even brighter.
Speaker 2: There's never been a better time for the church to stand up.
Speaker 3: There's never been a better time for truth and goodness. Everybody's standing all over this room. I'm gonna pray for you that you will become more aware of God and less aware of your self.
Speaker 2: Every head bow, every eye close.
Speaker 3: Lord, Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for thinking about us, for thinking about us. You think about us an eternal God, a gracious God, a God with no start and no end.
Speaker 2: We are on your mind.
Speaker 3: So much so that you invite us into your plan, so much so that you invite us into your plan and equip us and empower us for the plan.
Speaker 2: You gave us.
Speaker 3: Now what I'm asking, would you help us get our eyes off ourself and our eyes on you, Our eyes off our deficiencies and our eyes on you, Our eyes off our insecurities and our eyes on you.
Speaker 2: May we become more aware of you.
Speaker 3: The every head bowed, every eye close. Before we get out of here, If you're in the room, and you've never accepted Jesus as your Lord and savior. If you're watching online, you've never accepted Jesus as your Lord and savior. This is the ultimate moment of God awareness. It is you realizing I will always be afraid as long as I'm the source of my strength. I will always be insecure as long as I am the source of my future. But when you realize there is a God who loves you, who cares about you, who has a plan for you, you can surrender your life to his will. You can have a fresh start and a new source of hope.
Speaker 2: And his name is Jesus.
Speaker 3: If you want to accept Jesus today, in this room or online, every every eye close, I'm gonna count to three, and if you want to accept Jesus, I'm gonna ask you to bravely, boldly raise your hand. It's a brand new start for you today. The Bible says that he who knew no sin became sin so that we might become the righteousness of Christ. I'm gonna count the three and if you want to accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, I'm gonna ask you to boldly raise your hand. One he loves you.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: Today is the day of salvation. Don't wait another day. Three right now in this room online, shoot your hand up boldly, raise it high, don't apologize, don't worry about nobody. I got you, sister. I see you right here, right here, so proud of you. I got you a family right there, a mom and a son together.
Speaker 2: Come on, what are we talking about? Beautiful?
Speaker 3: I got you over here, brother, So proud of you, so proud of you.
Speaker 2: I see you, sister, so proud of you.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody out loud, together as a family.
Speaker 2: Let's pray together. Everybody say, Dear God, thank you for loving me.
Speaker 3: I admit I've made mistakes. I need you save me, change me, transform me. I'm yours and Jesus same. I pray Amen. Hey, can we celebrate and cheer for people who just decided to give their life to Jesus. Hey, listen, if you just made that choice, best choice you could ever make. I would encourage you to text the word save to the number that comes up on the screen. Also, tell somebody, just somebody in your row. Hey, I raised my hand and it was me.
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I'm just new, but to tell somebody and if somebody tells you, here's the first rule, don't be weird.
Speaker 2: Second rule, give them a hug, tell them you love them, encourage them. But we're so.
Speaker 3: Grateful for you and so happy of what God is doing in your life. Hey, listen, over the next couple of weeks, I really believe God's gonna help us to walk out of fear and into a beautiful life, and so I would encourage you join us.
Speaker 2: Every single week is gonna be amazing. But I want to take a moment.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pray for you, and if you need prayer for anything at all, some of our prayer team is gonna be.
Speaker 2: Up here at the front. There's nothing too big, nothing too small.
Speaker 3: But we want to agree with you in prayer and just agree and believe with you for.
Speaker 2: What you're believing for. But I worship team's gonna sink. You can feel free to stay in worship or you can head out. But got to thank you for who you are.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your grace, for your love, for your mercy. I pray Lord Jesus that this week we will become more aware of who you are, your goodness and your grace.
Speaker 2: It's in the beautiful name of Jesus.
Speaker 3: We pray and everybody said, amen, Amen, Amen, we love you, we.
Speaker 2: Love you, we love you. Thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 1: If you said that prayer and accept it Jesus into your heart, it's the best decision you could ever make. We want to celebrate with you, and we have some tools to help you on your journey. Tech saved to a two A two eight two, and to find out more about TC text connect to A two A two eight two. Be sure to subscribe and share this podcast with your friends. Thanks for listening. Now go out and live transform life.