Speaker 1: Let's get started on technique of the week. I know that we've got you know, we're in passovers going on starts today, and then you know Easter is going to.
Speaker 2: Hit because they're always very close.
Speaker 1: And when I think about Easter, or I think about family time together or any of these things.
Speaker 2: I think about cast roles.
Speaker 1: Cast Roles are one of those things that are beautifully combined. They're magical together. They're a one dish, you know, concoction. And to be able to do that, there's something very satisfying about being able to put something together in one dish. And it's this communal experience. Everybody takes a scoop or whatever it is, on to the plate. And I came across one that I had never ever seen before, and I came across a couple of weeks ago, and I'm like, I got to talk about this on the show.
Speaker 2: It just is It sounds wonderful to me. Now, I will put a disclaimer.
Speaker 1: I have not tried this yet, but it is on my list because I'm going through stuff that I like to experiment with.
Speaker 2: So just hear this out. Just mine tastes this for a second.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, peanut butter and jelly, French toast casserole. Come on, come on, right up, peep, Robin, is there something you want to Why are you shaking your head? No?
Speaker 2: Thank you? No? Think you don't like peeb and j You don't like peanut butter and jelly. I do, I do, But I don't like castrole. We do you like French toast?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so where am I losing you? Here? The container? The nine by thirteen is the problem. Yeah, of course, it's always that. Can you make it for me, Neil, and then I'll I'll eat it? Like we don't have to make any for Robin.
Speaker 1: I think you should cook some for me stuff I can't. Yeah, yeah, you don't have to tell me you'll eat something. We've been working on the program for you for some time, with you for some time, and I've seen that I get served second, sometimes third or fourth, so we all know. So just the thought, just mind tasting that and you know what comes to mind. And my sister in law said this to her because she likes to cook and bake and stuff like that, and I'm like, oh m G, and she goes, you know what, that might even be better than a monte Cristo. Now I don't know about that because I'm a big fan, but I can see where the Monte Cristo you have ham, you have cheese, you have the brioche and the deep frying of it, and often that you're gonna dip it in a jam. So there's gonna be some similars here, similarities here, and I thought, maybe I'll add some ham to this, some cheese. I'm not looking at you anymore, Robin, You're not helpful, so just it intrigued me. So you get you're nine x thirteen dish. You're baking dish, and of course that's going to be an important part of it. And basically what you're doing is you're making pbe and j's and you're cutting them into quarters, into triangles, and then you're stacking them in the casserole dish after you butter the edges, and then you soak it overnight in your custard. Now, your custard is your egg base that you are using when you make your traditional French toast or the pen pardue if you want to get all fancy with your friends, and so that's the basis of it. Now, I don't really use a recipe for my custard anymore. You just you know the ratios whether you're using cream or whole milk or whatever you're doing, you kind of get your ratios. But I'll break down some of this for you in a moment. But to me, the thought of that soaking that up, baking it off, and having that, you know, essentially at that point it's a bread pudding. But PEB and J bread pudding.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: Talking about the pep and J French toast casserole that I'm sort of obsessed with. I have not made it as of yet because I have my wife who doesn't eat like you shouldn't do dairy and stuff like that, and then I have my boy and me, and cast roles are for families. Cast Roles are for you know, that's for you know, big families. So throwing up a cast role for two doesn't always work, although I've done it. I've made lasagna for two. Come on, you can do it. But I'm obsessed with this, so I wanted to bring it to your eye, volleyballs and your tasting. In this case, you're gonna use brioche.
Speaker 2: Bread.
Speaker 1: Brioche is a high, aggy bet of bread, very decadent and lovely. It used to be kind of difficult to find, but now you can find it in most You can find sliced brioche bread. It's wonderful. You need about seven tablespoons peanut butter, seven tablespoons of jam. Don't tell me how much jam and peanut butter I need. I will decide for the custard you're using about a cup of milk or cream, depending on what you want to use. Three large eggs, two tablespoons of honey.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Addition, two tablespoons vanilla extract. That's I use that as well in my custard, and quarter teaspoons.
Speaker 2: Salt.
Speaker 1: Do not forget salt. Salt enhances flavor. It's a flavor enhancer. It should not make things salty necessarily. Often if it's salty, you've gone too far. But what it will do is it will take the things that are sweet, the things that are nutting in this case of peanut butter, and it's going to enhance those things and really make it pop. Now, sometimes I don't know that I would do it in this one. Sometimes I will use a little orange zest or something in my custard to really make it pop, But that's your bake. Bakesic custard for this one tablespoon of confection or sugar if you want to put that over it, a little powdered sugar. You can also use maple syrup on top of it when you're eating it. But you're basically spraying your pan. Whether it's an eight by twelve or nine by thirteen is probably what I'd use. Get a baking dish, nonstick cooking spray. Set that aside. You set out the bread slice. You make your pev and jays. You cut them into quarters so they're triangles. You set them in there, butting them up right next to each other. Then you soak them with that custard. After you whisk the milk and the eggs and the honey and the vanilla salt and all that together, you drizzle it over all the sandwiches. You want it to be well coated. It's gonna pool at the bottom of the beginning. That's okay, because it's gonna absorb that later in your preheat that you want that overnight at least eight hours or overnight pre heat the oven to three fifty and you bake that cast role in the preheated oven covered for thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: You remove the foil. This is to get the browning.
Speaker 1: Now bake until the sandwiches start to crisp and turn golden brown.
Speaker 2: This is killing me.
Speaker 1: Twenty to thirty minutes more. Sprinkle with the confection or sugar, and you put that together. Some people use chocolate chip briocha bread if you can find it. I apparently Aldi has that. I've never had it, and things like that, and bring an extra layer of flavor there.
Speaker 2: If you try it, let me know.
Speaker 1: I want to hear from you, because man, maybe I'll maybe I'll do a small batch of it tomorrow and see if I can try that out. But I just thought, wow, just just awesome sounding, so