Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com. It beats listening to nothing. My goodness, This is Frank being Frank fright, where the only way to be is Frank. Hello everyone, and welcome to being Frank. We're the only way to be is Frank. I'm your host, franklgoring On. I'd like to thank you for joining us on what we like to call the Intelligent Conversation Podcast, where no conversations out of bounds and all points of you are welcome. Of course, we go and record live to tape, so I give you the date you have some context and relevance. It is the second of July. So within a few days of this taping, we will celebrate America's two hundred and forty ninth independence in creation And to quote the Grateful Dead, what a long strange trip it's been. There have been so many changes in America since that first independence day was celebrated nearly two hundred and fifty years ago that it is hard to fathom what life was like at that time. Could the founding fathers have possibly envisioned the megalopolis that New York City would become? And because the New York metro area has become so huge and frenetic. It's also hard to fathom what an important role the Hudson River, of the Hudson River Valley and highlands, and places like Rockland County and Naiac had in the American Revolution and therefore the formation of this country. In the forty plus years I have lived in the Hudson Valley, I'm continuing to discover just how many significant events related to our independence happened all around here, and I wonder what it might have been like for the people who lived then. So as is our mo modus operandi fancy word. Now again, we asked a real expert to join us with some intelligent conversation. Winston Perry is a lifetime resident of Rockland County. He is a descendant of the early Dutch settlers, as well as some more recent Irish immigrants. When is a graduate of Nyack High School and has degrees in American Studies from Yale and architecture from the University of California. Returning from Berkeley with a new wife and the first of four children, he began what became a fifty five year career in architecture. After working for several years for Skidmore owings and merrill. He joined a local firm where he was instrumental in the design of buildings for Rockland Community College, the Lamontdarity Earth Observatory Pace, University, and other educational, corporate and institutional clients, as well as private and nonprofit owners. In recent years, he has focused increasingly on architecture for historic preservation. When is past president of the Historical Society of the Nayaks and president of the John Green Preservation Coalition, where he is working to restore the last surviving Dutch style house in Nyack. He has served as village historian of the Village of Upper Nayak since the village's centennial in nineteen seventy two, and is just completed fifty years of service by helping to observe the village's one hundred and fiftieth anniversary. He is also an advocate of open space preservation, especially in achieving a protected route for the Long Path hiking trail. When himself is a hiker, downhill skier and sailor of small boats. He maintains a hiking trail that advocates for open space preservation, As we mentioned, trail design and the preservation of historic buildings. He served for twenty five years on his village Planning Board and is a member of the Rockland County Board for Historic Preservation. He's also an Eagle Scout, a former Naval Reserve officer, and in the early nineteen seventies he served as chairman of the building committee that restored the Hopper House and then as president of the board. He is fond of saying that restoring the Hopper House was the greatest adventurer of his life and that the continue success of Hopper House is like seeing a child become independent and thrive. When Perry now he can take a deep breath. Thank you, Thank you for joining us. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Very happy to be with you.
Speaker 1: When let's let's let's add a little bit more detail about Whin Perry. I mean, that's obviously the nuts and both very accomplished man, But tell us a little bit more about Whin Perry the person. For example, you know, as an architect, we kind of see the connection with his historic building preservation. But what is it what drew you to your love of history in the first place? Was that always with you?
Speaker 2: I think I inherited that from my parents. My father was a great student of local history and passed it on to me along with a collection of antique furniture and documents and books. I I now have his his love of researching, talking about sharing local history as part of our collective background of how we got here.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and we mentioned it in the introduction. You can trace your your family line and history well back, give us a little bit more details to you. And I think it's very interesting. I mean, we always think of kind of New York literally its name is English, but before that it was New Amsterdam and it was settled by the Dutch. And again I think I think that surprises some people because we've become so Anglo Saxon oriented in our language, et cetera, but that there are still some names left like law Velt and some of the others that are Dutch in origin. But don't let me ramble on. Please tell us a little bit about your Dutch orient origins when your family first came.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, going back to the earliest they first documented European settler of Rockland County, according to George Budket of eminent historian, was Harmanis Tallman. The name was Taloma and Dutch he assigned a document indicating that he had settled in area in sixteen seventy five. Now I'm not descended from him. I'm descended from his brother shortly after all their parents. I also have Blauvelt ancestors. My parents were both Blauvelt descendants, but my mother's maiden name was Bavelt. The first perry in my line was Uriah, spelled in many different ways. He came here, apparently from Germany. He registered twice as a militia member in the Revolution, and I gathered that he didn't not only did he not know how to write his name, he also didn't know his birthday because each time he enlisted he gave a different age. But he served as a cook in the army during the French and Indian War and during the Revolution. One of the you mentioned the many things in this area that were significant in the founding of our country. I think it's absolutely amazing that the folks in Tapan signed the Orangetown Resolution, which pre figured many of the ideas that were in the Declaration of Independence. They did it exactly three hundred and sixty five days earlier.
Speaker 1: Right when you're again, this is what I meant, So many little known facts and how truly significant. And we featured Rob Norton, the owner of the seventy six house where that was. It's still there. It's in Tapan, New York, which is in Rockland County, right on the border of Bergen County. And what's amazing is and it's pretty close to intact in its original form, at least good portions of it. And I've always been amazed that this incredible document was signed there in Washington and all the Lafayette and c all the other great names from the American Revolution all the way there. We know that Major Andre was held as a prisoner there during his trial, So you know, one of the very special places and events that happened in Rockland County. So I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing? Yes, And it doesn't really make me any more of an expert, but I can trace my ancestry to many of those people who lived in tap Down at the time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just so extraordinary. I mean, you know, people can't see us, but I have this broad smile because I love history too. I drive my partner Amanda crazy because I'm always some little history tidbits. They stick in my mind because I'm you know, it's it's a chain and we're all part of that same chain. That's you know, we couldn't be here until we were there first. So it always fascinates me. And it's just amazing. As I mentioned, I've lived up here a long time from Fort Leet, another very historic place in American revolutionary history, and as they moved north up the river to Nayak, I just amazed. From Benedict Arnold, John Andre and you know also the Battle of Stony Point, and we mentioned and you'll hear later on our signal if you will, it really doesn't literally emanate from Stony Point, but we kind of say that's kind of our home address and base. But there was a very significant Revolutionary War battle in Stony Point, which is in the northern end of Rockland County. Tell us a little bit of what you know about that, please, Well.
Speaker 2: I know a little bit about it. My grandson worked at the Stony Point Battlefield Park a couple of summers and demonstrated how to shoot a colonial musket. Oh I know about the battle is what I've read in the local history books and I visited. It is I always love to visit the places where things happened. It gives you a real feel that you don't get just from books. But the Stony Point is this rugged little rock out cropping on the shore. Yeah, and you know, it was not easy to climb up the size of it, particularly when you were thinking that the British centuries might wake up at any moment and shoot at you. But the battle didn't have any strategic importance. Really. The Americans abandoned it soon after they captured it, and the British didn't maintain it. But it was a an early victory. It did a lot to improve them morale of the rebel effort.
Speaker 1: When let's let's let's talk again and just specifically, you know, as the Upper Niyak historian and Nyack historians, and so let's let's focus. And I'm always fascinating. I noticed, for example, on North Broadway there's a new sign about skirmishes that happened. Uh tell us a little bit how active first of all, And I mentioned it also in my intro how important the Hudson River was and therefore the control of it was so important, and that included Nayak, and that there were actual combat. Again, we don't think of it almost three hundred years later, certainly two hundred and fifty, with this huge magalabolism, that there were these uh, you know, kind of raging gun battles that were going on along the river, and other significant things happening in and around. Tell us a little bit about and what is some of the more.
Speaker 2: You're putting your arms around a big subject there.
Speaker 1: But we have time.
Speaker 2: Hudson River was not only a major means of travel and communication up and down New York State, but it was also a natural barrier between New England and the rest of the colonies. If you wanted to go from New York to Philadelphia, you had to cross it, and UH Washington and his army crossed it several times. When the French army came over, they had to cross it, and UH these crossings frequently took place at King's Ferry, right on the north side of Stony Point that you just mentioned. The British UH quickly captured New York City and held it throughout the revolution. Many loyalists took refuge there the British A large part of the British army was housed there. The British had a big challenge finding food for all these people, and they frequently sent ships up the river and landing parties. We come ashore in small boats to forage for grain and animals cows and sheep and goats, and also to look for military age men who might cause them trouble. And these skirmishes that you refer or two were efforts to repel several of these landing parties. It took place just a couple hundred feet south of my house where that sign that you mentioned is located. These skirmishes have been in the history books for years, but only a few of us actually read those books and could connect it to the actual place. So it was really actually my son who was the Nayak just retired as a Nyak high school teacher, recruited a small group of school children who researched, looked up the information about these skirmishes, composed the sign, and ordered it and installed. The histories of Rockland County were mostly written in the florid style of the Victorian period in the eighteen nineties, and they really glorified the work of the local shoreguard militia and there shooting down these redcoat British soldiers. How many of them were buried the next morning. I think there's a little exaggeration in the books, but these skirmishes definitely took place. There is definitely a pile of scrapings from a sandstone quarry that were piled up near the river and formed a natural breastwork for the militiamen to lie down behind and shoot over the top of it at this landing party. It's a great story and it was right here, literally in my backyard.
Speaker 1: So cool now, I think it if I understand correctly you're the historian. The British never really took firm control of the Hudson River valley and highlands. They assai They on the east side of the river more but generally.
Speaker 2: Right right they were between the lines here. They their main strength was in New York City. Washington. When he was in the area, generally stayed to the north, and both parties raided each other in this area. There were a lot of loyalists here. I don't think it was fifty to fifty, but they were a very significant number. Many of them fled to Nova Scotia during the war, and there if their properties were abandoned and they were sold interesting to new owners. So yeah, there was neighbor against neighbor, cousin against cousin. Uh, rock On County and Bergen County. Uh were ah h scenes of violence and and uh destruction of of farm fields and crops and houses. Yeah, massacre murder.
Speaker 1: But I know that like the Baylor massacre for example, and it literally was also happened in the area of Japan, the Order of County. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we had our very special taste of the revolution, quite different from what other areas that were safely behind the lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's important that we talk about that that you know, there was a again because there was kind of cruelty you might say on the part of both parties. That this was a hard place, if you will. And so that brings me to my next point the independence day. Okay, how was that? First of all, how did people find out in this area that a declaration of independence was created signed? And when did it reach here? And how was it disseminated? And how was it received? As you mentioned, because not everybody was in favor, So if you could first how was word disseminated and then how was it received?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a great question, and I don't really know the answer. There were very little in the way of newspapers. I think there might have been a couple in New York, but nothing in Rockland, so you know, word of mouth, and people traveled by various kinds of horseborne or a staurant transportation or sailing boats. So that the answer is slowly but faster than you might expect. I don't know. There weren't wasn't any radio, television.
Speaker 1: No mass media, no internet, no cell phones to check out what's happening.
Speaker 2: No Frank Lebono, no Being.
Speaker 1: Frank, no podcast. How awful, but go ahead, please continue.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how how it was learned about and how it was received.
Speaker 1: I could gather things like you the seventy six that which was called Maybe's tavern. I believe at the time, maybe people could gather and there might be readings of that nature. I would think it seemed to make logical sense. But we don't know. None of us were there, so we don't know you. But you know, as it became celebratory, as we became a truly independent nation, and it really became a day to celebrate. How has it changed through the years, and one of the things I caught my eye was Mike Hayes, who writes a wonderful column for Niac News and Views about some of the historic places and happenings around I and mentioned a particular celebration in nineteen nineteen that welcome back a lot of the so called Doughboys, the troops from World War One. This elaborate arch built and they paraded through it. It was this wonderful story. If you get it people get a chance, they should check it out in Nyak News and Views. But that was one example. Can you can you maybe elaborate a little bit on that and some of the ways that that people celebrated Independence Day through the years, and how it's changed and does it still have the same significance.
Speaker 2: Well, people in Nayak and similar communities have always loved parades, and Fourth of July, like Memorial Day, there's a good excuse to have one. Also, there's always been a hot time of year, good time if it's not too hot to get together for clam bake or barbecue. So there always public events as well as family neighborhood get togethers, and I think that's been fairly constant through history. Going back to your question about the end of the revolution and how people learned about it, well, the or or how they learned about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The end of the war was a very different story because it happened so gradually. When when did the British Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown? I remember, but I think it was in the late seventies, seventeen seventies.
Speaker 1: But it was a few years after, I mean, war raged for another few years after the signing of the declaration. Well a point, it was really just a piece of paper.
Speaker 2: It was seven eighty three before they signed the treaty.
Speaker 1: And a full correct Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Agreed about how they were going to evacuate the British from New York City. So that was a gradual, slow process.
Speaker 1: You know. I'm going to take a quick break when when we come back, I want to talk about your mission for historic preservation you work with the John Greenhouse and other places. I also talk about your advocacy for open space and the Long Trail and how those things are connected, you know, and a few other questions relative to our two hundred and fifty year history, and get get some of your perspective.
Speaker 2: Those are my favorite subjects.
Speaker 1: Could so we have a lot more to talk about, so we don't want people to go anywhere quite yet. This is great fun. My very special guest is Winston Perry. He has many things in Rockland County, uh and right now acting as the historian for Upper Nayak and also his involvement with John the preservation of the oldest remaining Dutch colonial sandstone house in Rockland County, the John Greenhouse. So we have all of that more coming back on Being Frank. I'm your host, Frank Loborno. Please don't go anywhere yet. We'll be right back after these brief commercial messages. Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 3: This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Hudson River Radio dot com. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 3: This is Hudson River dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Being Frank, the Intelligent Conversation Podcast. Thanks for sticking with us. I'm Frank l Bono, and of course our engineer as always as the mailman, mister Neil Richter. We'll get back to our very special guests, mister Winston Perry, and we're celebrating American independence, talking history back to that in just one minute. I just want to remind you that we bring our audience a fresh topic just about every week, and we stream from Hudson River Radio, located and beautiful and yes, historic Stony Point of New York. But remember, you can catch Being Frank anywhere you get your favorite podcast that includes Apple, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and all the others. And because every Being Frank is archived, you can listen to any of our programs any time you like. Final the link to Being Frank on the Hudson River Radio Facebook page or at our website Hudson Riverradio dot com. Just click and you're there. Okay, back to our conversation, I said, as of our taping were a few days of July fourth, also known as American Independence Day. And my guest is a wonderful historian from Upper Nayak and Rockland County, mister Winston Perry. When one of the things we talked about, and it was one of your favorite subjects, you know, and again it was an obvious transition from an architect, if you will, to historic preservation of historic buildings. Talk a little bit about that mission and then particularly as it relates to the John Greenhouse, which is, as we mentioned, is the oldest sandstone colonial Dutch colonial style house left in Nayak. But talk a little bit about first your involvement with historic preservation in general, and then the John Greenhouse in particular, if you will, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, As an architect, of course, I've always been interested in how buildings are designed and built and how that was done over history, and I had experience working on various older structures professionally, and then I had the opportunity as a community volunteer to really lead the restoration of the birthplace of Edward Hopper. And I had my eyes on the John Greenhouse for many years because it is the last of that kind of construct design and construction using local red sandstone accentuated by the off white color or of the mortar joints, the stone walls, often with a gambrel roof, ah and the That's the kind of house that the early settlers, the early farmers all built when they were financially able to do so. But it's the last remaining one of them in the village of Nayak, and I always felt that it was well worth saving restoring as an example of that kind of architecture and design.
Speaker 1: And when, what, wh why? Why do you think is important? There? There might be some c Okay, it's nice, it's cute, it's cool, but you know, we've got to move on. Why is historic preservation of buildings like that? Why is it important? In your mind?
Speaker 2: Well? Using John Greenhouse as an example, it's important in three ways. One because, as I just mentioned, it's an example of a disappearing style of construction and design. Second because it's associated with significant people and events in the history of the community. And thirdly because it's a one of the last remaining physical ties to NAC's golden age as a Hudson River maritime port.
Speaker 1: John Green himself was a captain, correct.
Speaker 2: So that's right. Yes, he owned, rented, captained, and used many different Hudson River sloops. It's interesting. This first one was called the Defiant, Yeah, the next one was the Well I've forgotten but it's a much friendlier name. Then the Attentive, and then Henry Edwards. And he would take a load of stone from the Nyack quarries up to Albany or down to New York City where they were used in many significant buildings in the back all the state capitol. I believe he would then load up with a load of lumber bought at Albany prices and sail it down the river for to be sold in his lumber yards in Nyack and New York at New York prices. And soon he became quite wealthy.
Speaker 1: It's gonna say, quite the shrewd businessman. It sounds enabled to build in that beautiful colonial scene and stone at you.
Speaker 2: And uh he used some of this wealth to organize the NAX Steamboat Association build build the first steamboat that served Nyak. Meanwhile, he and his fellow fellow promoters were arguing for construction of the turnpike, the predecessor of Route fifty nine. I mean, I can suffern that we're bringing uh industrial products from Ramapo and farm produce from the county all down to Johnny Greenstock and Nyak where his steamboat could take it to New York City. So he stood to profit a number of different ways in the group while promoting the growth of the community. And this uh concentration of trade through the turnbike and the steamboat, and for that matter that the Hudson River sloops continued to be popular for bulk transportation even after the steamboats were available because they were cheaper, took longer, but if you could afford to wait, you could save money anyway. The John Greenhouse has all these interesting connections to architecture and history and the appearance of the community, so on a number of different levels. I feel it's important to restore it.
Speaker 1: Well. I want to get your thoughts on it. And the fact that you mentioned John Green was a captain, and you know Night was a maritime hub for business and boating and sailing and shipping and ferries and now there's virtually none. I mean there's recreational boating there, but there's no ferry, and that that was crushed there has been proposed many times throughout the years. And is that a lost legacy.
Speaker 2: Well, to a large extent, it is fair enough. The highways trucking take care of a large percentage of our of our commercial shipping day. The railroads had their day and still significant, and the river is left largely to the recreational boaters.
Speaker 1: It's the natural transition of things. You know, you mentioned that in your in your bio, your your your love for the Hopper House, you know, the childhood home. Not people know the preeminent American painters Edward Hopper certainly maybe his most famous night Walks at the Diner, but certainly so many other great American paintings. Uh, explain a little bit why and why preserving Hopper in that house and explained, you know, his family is old also lived there, but the house had become derelict. So tell us a little bit about the story and how you came about becoming involved, and why it was ultimately important to restore his place as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of credit is owed to people who were active there before I became active. A group of largely artists, by other people aware and interested got together to to buy it after Hopper and his wife and his sister had died and a real estate developer wanted to build an apartment house there. So this committee organized, raised a little money and managed to buy the house. And I knew several people on the board at the time. I was commuting mostly by bicycle past the Hopper House every day. And uh, I.
Speaker 1: Said, on North Broadway, And I just again, we know it so well, not everybody else does.
Speaker 2: But yes, I live on North Broadway, the Hopper Houses on North.
Speaker 1: Program I'm not I'm not for myself. I walked by it all the time.
Speaker 2: My office moved around town, but it was usually on or near Main Street. So I said to my friends on the board that had bought the derelict opera house, how come you've owned it for a whole year and you haven't done anything to restore it. They took my criticism to heart. A month later, I was on the board and was chair of the restoration committee.
Speaker 1: Careful what you wish for, winds, sometimes you get.
Speaker 2: And they had used up what little money they could raise in the acquisition of the house and paying off of the loan, so we had to find creative ways to get it restored. We put temporary storm sash on the windows, and I sent the window sash home with each of the board members and each of my friends and neighbors to reglaze and repaint at home and.
Speaker 1: Brenda, that's real hands that's real hands on restoration.
Speaker 2: We got the Electricians Union apprenticeship program to wire the electrical outlets. We had to pay for the service, but the rest of it was contributed. A heating and heating contractor that I had worked with on the Rockland Community College job put in a new heating system for us. We didn't realize he was going bankrupt at the time. Uh he did. He failed and gave up his business, but in his bankruptcy filing he neglected to name us as a creditor, so we never had to pay his bill.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes better to be lucky than good. You know.
Speaker 2: That was intentional luck?
Speaker 1: Yes, perhaps, yes we got.
Speaker 2: We got Rockling Community College to sponsor a course in uh hearing for an old house. They uh gave they're head maintenance man teaching teacher's salary for a few months and gave the enrolle's of course credit. Uh and uh uh we got volunteers in that way to finish the paint job uh and uh patch the plaster and do some set rock work. We also found a struggling young artist who needed a place to live and we don't let him live upstairs in return for carpentry work.
Speaker 1: And put him taking the place.
Speaker 2: Wound a new shingle roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an incredible community effort that just totally.
Speaker 2: Met People came together in numerous different ways from different directions to get the job done and it was just totally heartwarming all the way.
Speaker 1: And tell people what they can expect. Now it's this beautiful study center. There's jazz in the backyard garden. It's not you know, it's not a work in progress anymore. It's it's a thing. Tell people a little bit about what they can expect when they go to the hop.
Speaker 2: Perhaps the first jazz concert was possible because the village loaned us there the planks that they used for form work when they were installing new concrete curbs, and we used them to make a platform. I don't think they ever got them back.
Speaker 1: Still there the people to go that there's original artwork with people also and go and really get a feel for And if you look out of the windows, for example, you can see some of Hopper's work just looking out of those windows right right.
Speaker 2: And of course he got away from Nayak as soon as he was able to, in favor of New York City and Cape Cod and Paris. But Nack certainly a contributed to farming the person that he was. There's there are delightful sketches that he made in the smith's shipyard just down the hill from the house.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Let's let's talk a little bit about your advocacy for open space as well, and mentioned you're a hikers and a biker, and so you obviously take advantage of it yourself. But talk a little bit about your advocacy.
Speaker 2: Well again, from my family, my maternal grandparents bought an old hundred acre farm between Central Nac and Westnac on the west slope of the Palisades Hills when my grandfather retired as a bank teller. I don't know how he financed the purchase. Maybe he took something home from the.
Speaker 1: Bank, but I'll never tell.
Speaker 2: I was born the day after my mother took a walk on it through the woods. On that property there was sixty acres of farmland and forty acres of woodland up up the hillside. And I grew up knowing that the farm, as we called it, was available for get outdoors do some exploring and hiking or wood cutting. When I came back from California. As you mentioned in nineteen sixty, Rockland County was in the midst of rapid growth resulting from the construction of the Tapency Bridge, New York State Thruway and the Palisades Interstate Parkway and the Long Path, which in New York, New Jersey Trail Conference sponsors it goes from New York City basically to some place west of Albany and someday continue to the Aroundickx that was in competition with development forces for use of the land along the ridge. Basically, the long path through Rockland County followed the ridge of the Palisades and then jumped over to the its from River Highlands. But for most of Rockland County was protected by the Palisades Interstate Park. South of Nyack it was in the I think it's called the Blove section of the park, and then north of Nyack was in the Hook Mountain Nack Beach section of the park. But in between traversed quite a lot of privately owned land which had people were now realizing had tremendous value as undeveloped real estate. So I was involved from that point, say nineteen sixty until the present. It's an ongoing, long term project and things pieces of the Big Saw Puzzle that we put in place then are just now becoming usable because of other pieces that have become available. So I was one of a group that campaigned for the acquisition of west Hook Mountain, the part of Hook Mountain that was west of Root nine w by the town of Clarkstown, which they ultimately did acquire and are still working on links at the north and south end of it to make it ohly usable. But it was the site of the long path until a couple of houses were built up there, and then we've been trying to find ways to get around. Literally, yes, a continuing battle. When the Mountain View condominiums were built, we had to settle for a fifteen foot wide right of way along their east boundary. But at least there's that it maintained the continuity of the path. It's, you know, a chain that of which every single link is important, right sure.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: There was a really interesting section in South Knack or on the mountain, just west of South Nak, where the trail left the blowout section of the Palisades Interstate Park. The bridge was a section of surplus land owned by the school district above the middle school, and the school district wanted to turn it into money to reduce the school budget. They had a developer who was going to put six houses there, and I said, you know, we really need it as it's essential link in a long path. And there was there was a a young man from Nayak who had lost his life resk trying to rescue mountain climbers on a snowy mountain out west Sean Ryan. He had gone to that very middle school adjacent to which this land is located. His family has started a fund in his memory, hoping to buy a little piece of the rocky mountains in his memory, and my wife and I contributed a little bit to it. But it sat there for almost ten years, and I got the bright idea of asking the family to sponsor the purchase of this tract of surplus school district land.
Speaker 1: Where he went to school.
Speaker 2: Right, the county has some open space money and the state offered matching funds, and by suggesting that it be named the Sean Ryan Park in memory of this heroic young man, the county couldn't really refuse uh, and the school district agreed to a sale less than going prices. The county made its contribution and the state matched it. We now have the Sean Ryan Trail. There's a bench and a plaque on top of the hill.
Speaker 1: There was a wonderful tribute when you when you see those people, that's a wonderful thing to do. One last moment at a time, I wanted to allow you to put out some website information and stuff. And it's kind of a rhetorical question as a historian too. Uh. You know, and and the founding fathers had a vision for America and everything seems, especially lately, to be so much turmoil changing. Uh, Is is that their vision still valid today? Is the America that that they saw? Is that what we have today? Again is the rhetorical question. I don't know if there's any real answer, just just your opinion. Would they recognize America today? I guess it is the simplest way to put it.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh. Uh as a wonderful fact of history that their dream has proved adaptable, resilient to the new situation where there are thousands of times as many people farming has changed and moved west. Uh, life is so different, the idea of freedom to govern ourselves, real monarchy, no taxation without representation. Uh. His principles have held a little problem with authoritarianism at the moment. But I think we'll get through it.
Speaker 1: So you remain opt You remain optimistic. You think Americas and the Foundations are strong enough to with withstanding the storm. Rudnaive to say, there's not. But are we strong enough to weather this storm.
Speaker 2: It's a company, it's a country made up of people who came here or whose ancestors came here with dreams and are willing to work hard to rechieve those dreams. And we still have a special h strength of personality among countries of the world that we have to work to maintain, but we have this valuable heritage.
Speaker 1: When Perry, I want to thank you so much for being frank with your intelligent conversation. Thank you for joining us. This has really been enlightening.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure talking with you. I appreciate the opportunity to talk about some of my favorite subjects.
Speaker 1: And we enjoyed it. Thank you very much. When, and of course we offer special thanks to our listeners who take time to give us a voice in their lives. Remember if we offer fresh topic just about every week. Catch us wherever and whenever you get your favorite podcasts. Check us out on the Hudson River Radio Facebook page. Like us and leave us a comment too. You know, I was at leave you with two last little things. One of slogan that I think is appropriate, and of course some original music. And this comes from one of our founding father and fathers John Adams and I think as we wrapped up our conversation when and I this is particularly important when he said there is a danger from all men. The only maxim of free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty. Think about that for a second. Very important. Okay, we've got some great music from my friend, composer musician Robert Dubou. It's called Running. It's a fun tune. It's great for the fourth of July. Everyone, have a safe, happy and healthy holiday for our engineer, mister Neil Richter the mailman. I'm your host, Frank Lebono, and we hope to have you join us on the next being. Frank, We're the only way to be is Frank. Thanks everyone.
Speaker 3: Stating about us.
Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.