Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: President Trump has agreed to pause the implementation of planned tariffs on imports from Canada for at least thirty days, sort of an echo of what we saw with Mexico from the day before. In both cases, the pauses came after those countries agreed to take steps towards preventing the trafficking of deadly fentanyl into the United States. President Trump's also going to be hosting Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House this afternoon about to two o'clock. They're supposed to do two o'clock our time. They're supposed to do a news conference today.
Speaker 1: Can I have some scary music? Scary something, fearmonger music, something to ilicit fear in the hearts of men and women.
Speaker 3: Smart rabbitson going.
Speaker 4: That'll do it, Smokey talking about his orgasm. Yeah, that'll do it, my never mind, go on, Nope.
Speaker 1: Back to back atmospheric river storms are set to hit La.
Speaker 4: County this week.
Speaker 3: Could you like a rain gasm?
Speaker 4: No, No, it's not. We do need this rain.
Speaker 3: There are times when I say it, I wish I could take it. No, I can't take it back.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's nobody that understands that more than I do. They say, this is gonna obviously be beneficial because we haven't had rain since what last last March April something like that. Yeah, there is less than a five percent chance of significant debris flow, so let's pump the brakes on the fear mongering in terms of threatening landslides, mud slides, things like that.
Speaker 4: If the second storm strengthens, we.
Speaker 1: Could have some problems on I thought we were parking the car of the gasm over to the side.
Speaker 2: Every time I take a look, you.
Speaker 1: Get who conceptualized that song, and if it was Smokey Robinson himself, who gives him the green light? Or do you just at the green light when you're smoking Robinson for ridiculousness like this. Furthermore, I need to point out the fact that right after my father died, we're sitting in the backyard at my parents' house and my mom says, to turn this off while you say the story, Well, it gets worse. My mom was like, I'd really like to see Smokey Robinson, And I say, oh, Smokey Robinson's playing at the Orange County Fair. Oh, I'd love to come down and see that.
Speaker 4: Little did we.
Speaker 1: Know it was the Gasm Show and he just sang about sex for ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: Smokey Robinson probably knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: Would you like to sit with your mother?
Speaker 1: No, and and listen to gasm gasm.
Speaker 2: By the way, he's the credited writer on that song, only him.
Speaker 4: No one else wants finger prints on that crime.
Speaker 3: So they're consultants. Perhaps they were like, smoke.
Speaker 5: And let you take this, listen this, I gasm, get it and give me gasm gasm.
Speaker 6: Rain.
Speaker 4: As long as it stays cool.
Speaker 2: According to the National Weather Service, and we don't have more Santa Ana winds, we get a little bit of rain. This buys us time in February because they're actually saying that we're going to see a pretty dry condition after these two storms go through tonight and Thursday night, it's probably going to dry out significantly or like we've seen basically. And they're also saying that we could see some winds start from the inland areas to the north, affecting I five southern Santa Barbara County before it turns into a moderate Santa Ana wind event later over the weekend, which means that temperatures could potentially be warm. But you know, on Super Bowl Sunday you're talking about temperature somewhere in the upper sixties.
Speaker 3: For the most most of southern California. But we still need it.
Speaker 2: We have received less than twenty five percent of the typical rainfall for this point in the season. And we know that the Santa Ana wind conditions can last. They can come and go, but they can last through March in many places, or through March in many cases.
Speaker 3: I should say so.
Speaker 2: Two river storms, atmospheric river storms La Inventura Counties Tuesday night, lasting through midday tomorrow. The second storm expects Thursday night into Friday morning and again light to moderate rain.
Speaker 3: But just keep an eye on They have said that.
Speaker 2: Is one of their concerns till Panga was closed because of the last rain event, because of some debris flows, etc. So, like you said, it's not a very high chance. But hey, weather forecasting is a dangerous business. They changed change significantly. People get killed.
Speaker 4: When they make you think anybody can do what Henry does, You're wrong. You're wrong.
Speaker 2: I think It's funny that you're in making excuses for your husband's boyfriend.
Speaker 4: He wishes.
Speaker 7: He could never pull a come on, he could not pull Henry Carlos Well.
Speaker 2: Insurance companies are starting to starting here.
Speaker 3: It's so ridiculous, show their true colors.
Speaker 2: And in this case, State Farm who by the way, canceled many policies in fire zones just before the fires, now want to increase their fees by about twenty two percent.
Speaker 4: Of course they do. How are they going to pay for all that?
Speaker 1: You know, when you think about the Palisades being wiped out, and that's millions upon millions billions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to go get my knife.
Speaker 3: Good IDEA.
Speaker 2: State Farm General, the largest home insurer in the state of California, is asking the state Insurance Commissioner for an emergency rate hike coming out to about twenty two percent, saying that the fires that burned through La last month have put the company in dire financial straits. So the company has received already eighty seven hundred rid claims and has paid out more than a billion dollars to its customers, and it expects to pay significantly more when you consider that these fires have been determined to be the costliest natural disaster in state history.
Speaker 1: State Farm says it's lost two point eight billion over the nine year period ending last year, including gains from investment income. So while you don't want insurance companies to be wildly profitable, they do need to be profitable. They can't be operating at a loss.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, that's the thing is, they will tell you one thing. A group called Consumer Watchdog, LA based advocacy group, says that State Farm General is not in financial trouble, that they made underwriting profits of one point four billion dollars over the last couple of years, and that the parent company, State Farm Mutual has about one hundred and thirty four billion dollars in the bank.
Speaker 1: Talked about how these insurance companies have canceled people, State Farm among them. In March, they said it would not be renewing seventy two thousand home apartment other property policies in California, citing reconstruction costs which are out of control, exorbitant, increasing wildfire risks, outdated state regulations. So basically they took the areas like the Palisades that are the most well high risk when it comes to when you look at the cost of the home and the urban interface wild land interface that exists there, and they.
Speaker 4: Just got rid of them.
Speaker 1: They just take the top high risk homeowners and they just slashed them.
Speaker 2: Well, and I wonder, I mean, when you look at the Palisades, you talk about homes that are in many cases multiple millions of dollars for homes, and there's a lot of them there.
Speaker 4: Think about rebuilding those now?
Speaker 2: Rebuilding them is yes, I mean, that's a completely that whole subject is ridiculous. But is it just those types of places that they're canceling their policies or are they saying California in general is too expensive and we're going to have to cancel them all up and down the state.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just right from what I've read in terms of what they've canceled so far, it's just those high risk properties, those expensive homes that are in the wild land urban interface like the Palisades.
Speaker 4: They haven't gotten some.
Speaker 1: Of the lower to some of the lower like Altadena for example. Sure, so who knows, and think about it, Like you said, multimillion dollar places in the Palisades, talk about rebuilding that, it's going to be three times what it costs to build it the first time at least.
Speaker 2: And some of those homes multigenerational right, Some people probably had homes that were purchased for eleven thousand dollars in nineteen fifty eight or something like that. This decision we talked about not renewing the seventy two thousand policies. Their decision of twenty three was to stop writing new business, homeowner, and other personal property and casualty insurance in the state. But last month, when they figured out how big this was, State Farm modified that decision said they would offer renewals to any policy holder affected by the Palisades Eaten or other fires whose policies had not lapsed before the fire start started. On January seventh, they said it would apply to about seventy percent of the residential policies that it had in the Palisades when it announced the non renewals last year. This is up to the insurance Commissioner.
Speaker 3: He will be.
Speaker 2: Guided, I suppose advised by the insurance commission about whether or not he's going to do this.
Speaker 3: This is also.
Speaker 2: On top of in June the company filing for a thirty percent increase for its homeowners policies, thirty six increase for condo owners, fifty two percent increase for renters, and that hike request is still pending. If your state farm, it's going to be crazy next couple of months as they figure out what in the world's going on now. While all of that is government, insurance companies dealing with the government in terms of trying to get their rate increases, there are things that government cannot do. They're just not good at it. That's not what they do well. And Rick Caruso has a new foundation called Steadfast LA and he has come in. He wants to help rebuild LA and he wants to do it with a business sense, not a government sense, which is very very important.
Speaker 3: Oh. He also alludes to his relationship with Mayor Bass.
Speaker 4: Oh, like what kind of well.
Speaker 3: He just says, I think it was.
Speaker 2: Alex Michaelson on Channel eleven asked him what his relationship was like, and he just kind of said, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Well, she doesn't return my calls, but it's fine.
Speaker 1: Just because people disagree politically doesn't mean they're monsters to each other.
Speaker 3: Stories that we are following.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the rain is coming in later today, so we'll keep an eye on that late tonight into tomorrow. A second storm rolls in Thursday night into Friday. It's been raining pretty heavy over or up in northern California over the last seventy two hours. Mount tamil Pious, just north of San Francisco, received more than ten and a half inches of rain. A couple of unincorporated areas farther north in Sonoma County received seven inches Venado and occidental. Joe Biden signed with Creative Artist Agency. We'll talk about that a couple of minutes about him going Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Also, Americans moving in with strangers twice their age. They say rooms for rent are the new housing market in this country. We'll get into that. You should start running out your home to strangers.
Speaker 3: That's just like fun, just for the story, for the stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did have it.
Speaker 3: We had somebody living there.
Speaker 1: I remember that couple years ago, and then she had a baby. The baby's out.
Speaker 2: Oh well there's one that one too. She's had multiple kids since then. Really, Yeah, that was a long time ago. That was four or five four years five years ago.
Speaker 4: Time flies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But we had somebody else, a friend's friend, college student was in town. So she stayed with us for about six weeks a lengthy appeals process. But Major League Baseball has fired an umpire for sharing a sports betting account with a friend who was betting on baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't do that, and.
Speaker 2: Then misleading investigators by intentionally deleting messages who were which were key to his conduct. Nothing has ever deleted, But this guy, Pat Hoburg was widely considered the best behind the plate umpire in Major League Baseball, too, the best ball and strike guy that they had.
Speaker 1: Luca John Chick says he was just as shocked as everybody else in the rest of the basketball world when the Dallas MAVs traded him to the Lakers. He's been in LA for two days as he's excited. That Hall of Fame voter, by the way, who you took umbrage with? Who I think everyone did. Who declined to select each hero remains a mystery still. All three hundred and twenty one voters who allowed their ballots to be made public today by the Baseball Raiders Writers Association of America selected each row, but the ballot that did not remains a mystery. Apparently it's up to the writers if they want to make their ballots known or not, and this writer did not.
Speaker 4: You could, obviously, somebody will do.
Speaker 1: The process of elimination exactly we'll find out.
Speaker 2: Rick Cruso did not get elected mayor of Los Angeles, and he's proving that that may have been a giant mistake.
Speaker 8: Hey, you have to have private enterprise involved in this because government alone can't do it.
Speaker 3: It's too big.
Speaker 2: He has launched a new foundation to spur the rebuilding efforts from our wildfires in Pacific Palisades and Altadena. He has put together an all star team when it comes to engineering and technology companies to really spearhead some of the private public teamwork that needs to take place. It's called Steadfast LA and he says, you really think about this as sort of the opposite of what government does.
Speaker 8: This is about a group of people who are incredibly smart, will resourced, that will roll up their sleeves and we're going to be issue driven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because listen, public private partnerships, or the way I put it, the private public partnerships can really only go so far. Sometimes you need the private businesses to spearhead some of this stuff.
Speaker 8: We would love for them to come and say we have this problem, may tell me how your team can help fix it. We are very clear we want to work with you on this now. If we feel that there's a lot of fee dragging or there's a lot of red tape getting in the way, we want to be in a position and we won't be to push them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what is his end game? What is Rick Crusoe's endgame?
Speaker 1: So he spends an s ton of his own money to run for mayor and does not move the needle to where it needed to be, and is still involved with bettering things for people. It seems what's the endgame there? What does he want? It's just a good guy he can be. It's just wildly rare.
Speaker 2: Well, that's probably why people make that face when they talk about what he's doing, is because it is so rare for someone to be.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you just feel that topic about Most people just.
Speaker 1: Go and enjoy their money, They go on yachts like Magic Johnson and live their lives. They don't sit around creating foundations to help people rebuild from the ashes.
Speaker 2: He talked to NBC, and he talked to Channel eleven, and one of the things that he said was Alex Michaelson asked him if he's running for mayor again or maybe governor again, and he said, listen, I don't have time.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: He literally said that time stopped on January seventh for him because it was very personal.
Speaker 3: Not only does he love.
Speaker 8: LA this is personal because I obviously I love this region, but but it's personal because we lost three homes.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if that's the right message.
Speaker 4: Well, but it means that they lost her home.
Speaker 1: They lost a home, and I think somebody else like I think the family.
Speaker 4: I mean, I get it. Yeah, it does sound it sounds like, well, they have a lot, they have they have money, they have money.
Speaker 1: Just before I get hate for my magic, Johnson comment, I know that magic does things for the community. I don't mean to sound like Ronald Sterling or Donald Sterling, but why don't he done? He's got aids. I don't mean to be that person, but you know what I mean, Rick Russo is sitting on a pile of money.
Speaker 4: Usually guys like this they like to go play. They don't. Maybe he's played enough and he wants to do something with it. And good for him, so.
Speaker 3: He has picked up.
Speaker 2: This is these these very intelligent, top of their game people. Andy Cohen not from Bravo. Andy Cohen is co chair of Architecture and Design Powerhouse Gensler, Kerry Smith, President CEO of Infrastructure Engineering, Giant Parsons, Ted Sarandos and his wife Ted Sarandos, and the CEO of Netflix and his wife, former Ambassador Nicole Avon Pallenteer co founder Joe Lonsdale, and then executives from banking, from insurance, from real estate, and private equity. The things specifically that he wants his group to tackle.
Speaker 8: We feel strongly that all the power lines should be underground. Ezra for example, who's one of members of the team. They've got the whole underground system already mapped, so we can get quickly in the streets. Working with DWP in the city, we can help design all the infrastructure, replace the water mains, replace the hydrants, underground the power and then upgrade the communication system. All the codes, all the building codes, drop them in an AI model, have building permits submitted through that, and have planned corrections turned around in hours, not weeks and months.
Speaker 2: Why why why is there nobody in our government who can have that same attitude.
Speaker 1: I think it's because in the statement, you just gave breath to people and government are not there for you, by and large, they are there from them themselves, and what can you do for them?
Speaker 4: Not what can they do for you?
Speaker 1: Tomorrow from JFK, I have a good story involving somebody who came out here to help with the wildfires. Okay, do you want to hear about it involves a dog? Yes, okay, you didn't. I didn't want to until you said it involves I know I could tell I need to sweeten the pot.
Speaker 4: We will get to Joe Biden going to Hollywood as well.
Speaker 1: But since we were talking about fires, I was reading this story this morning, and it does warm the cockles.
Speaker 4: Your cockles need warming.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're pretty cold right now. I don't know where those are, by the way.
Speaker 7: It's in your heart. The cockles of your heart. Oh, oh, okay, your heart cockles. They're probably rough ninety eight point six right now. I haven't checked. But actually I can check with my little super ring, I think, can't I everybody's standing by to hear my body's exture.
Speaker 4: Don't think that that's a thing.
Speaker 3: What the cockles of your heart?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Those are like mollusks that live in salt water.
Speaker 3: Cockles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, heart, cockles are edible. How come my mom used to always say the cockles of The phrase cockles of your heart refers to the heart's ventricles or chambers. The phrase warm the cockles of your heart means to feel deep contentment or to feel good. So there are no actual cockles in your heart. It's just a saying we have no cockles. Cockles are mollusks that we eat.
Speaker 2: I am so happy that we have straightened that out. Swamp Watch comes up at the top of the hour. But we're also next hour going to talk about this apparent agreement with El Salvador.
Speaker 3: Not only are they going to.
Speaker 2: Take they're bad guys back, they may take some of our bad guys, like in a private prison deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's that.
Speaker 4: I don't trust El Salvador.
Speaker 3: And then big orexia.
Speaker 1: Big orexia, Yeah, apparently it's a thing with the children, the boys.
Speaker 3: And I like that.
Speaker 2: There are a couple stories that we're following before we get to some of these talkbacks. One of them is a shooting in Sweden. This at a school, an adult school. They said about one hundred and twenty miles west of Stockholm. Police there have said that they believe there are around ten deaths four people. At least four people were injured. I had to be taking the hospital and have gone into surgery. So that's all we know so far.
Speaker 1: China slapping tariffs on US products and retaliation for Trump's tariffs. Beijing said overnight it'll charge extra tariffs of fifteen percent on cold liquefied natural gas, ten percent on crude farm equipment and some cars starting next week. Prescription drugs where we get an s ton of them and the chemicals or the makeup of prescription drugs from China as.
Speaker 4: Well, so we'll stay on top of that for you. Do you want to hear the story about the dog?
Speaker 3: Please? Okay?
Speaker 4: Can I have some music? Some storytime music?
Speaker 1: Eight years ago, there was a guy by the name of Paul who was moving across country from Massachusetts to Arizona, where he lives now. So he makes a pitstop in Oklahoma and Paul's dog, Damien in Oklahoma, gets loose from his leaf he runs off. Now, Paul is on the road trip with his dad and a friend and they looked for Damien until well after midnight that first night. They only stopped when they encountered a mountain lion there in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Did it have a little tough to fur around its mouth like it had just eaten Damien?
Speaker 4: No, no, it did not.
Speaker 1: They stayed in Oklahoma another week to look for Damien. Damien was beloved. You're not just going to leave your dog and continue on, I hear you. They searched high and low for Damien to no avail. For years afterward. Remember this is in twenty seventeen. Paul would put up posters with Damien's picture far and wide. Wherever he went, he put up posters of Damien, and he said, you know, it started to really affect me even more as the years went on. It just it hurt too much to see that missing poster one more time. So he kind of stopped sharing them because it hurt too much. It was devastating. Paul says, that dog got me through a lot of emotional things, family issues. Damien was always there as a companion. I was as everything as he was mine.
Speaker 4: Why are you laughing?
Speaker 1: This is awful? His everything, Yeah, his everything. You know, not everybody has a wonderful life. Sometimes people have struggles and their dog is their whole life.
Speaker 3: My dog helps make my life.
Speaker 4: Well, you're not everybody.
Speaker 3: He's not my everything.
Speaker 1: You're not everybody. There's some people. That's all they have, okay, and that was all Paul had.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So mid January, Paul is driving to California to donate clothes and supplies to wildfire victims, because Paul is also that guy, unlike you. About an hour from the California border, Paul gets a call from an unknown number.
Speaker 4: He ignores it, like we all do. The number calls again.
Speaker 3: Bam risk.
Speaker 1: He gets a text on his Apple Watch and it says, your dog, Damien has been found eight years after that day in Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: Eight years?
Speaker 3: How old is this dog? Now?
Speaker 1: Turns out a woman in Oklahoma City had nearly run over Damien, but picked him up, brought him to say with her brother. Brother, took care of the dog for two weeks, took him to the vet, scan him for a chip, and boom Damien. So Damien was living there wild fruits that long.
Speaker 3: And they don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't know where Damien was. We just know that he ended up in Oklahoma City with that woman and her brother. So, uh, screw the wildfire victims. Paul turns the car around and drives fourteen hours straight to Oklahoma, gets there about six am the next day to pick up Damien.
Speaker 4: Older scruffyer.
Speaker 1: Damien is as you can imagine, but mondays, mundeniably is dog wagging the tail. And now, Paul says, every time he leaves the room, Damien's like.
Speaker 4: Where are you going now?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 4: Gonna be another eight years?
Speaker 2: Br Well, to be clear, he could turn around and say, you're the one who left the first time, Brah.
Speaker 1: You're gonna yell at the dog that's been missing for it and formed the dog about how I w everything?
Speaker 9: Okay, Smokey Robinson's chasm, Yeah, yeah, makes me have a spasm. And I'm telling you there's a huge chasm between my way of thinking and his. All right, but hey, I got a rasin and that's all I gotta say about that.
Speaker 3: Now, did you write all that stuff down?
Speaker 6: Urian Famine good Bows here from the OCI. Just wanted to let you know that today's show already is epic in the history of radio. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And that's before we even got to the first half.
Speaker 10: Rick Caruso is old school, wealthy, old school, wealthy, used to always help everybody when needed. I work for a client who's friends with him, and I've met him. He's just a really really kind human being, just a good person, and it's really unfortunate that Los Angeles did not elect him to be mayor. He can bring that city together and fix it and make it whole again.
Speaker 1: Well maybe I interviewed him once, and I was a reporter and we were going out to the Grove to interview him, and it was like kind of going to see the Wizard, like you were met by somebody. I was met by somebody right at the entrance of the grove, one of the entrances, and they walked me through and you went through like a little back alley and through like a fence door, and then up a staircase and up into up into one of these like secret rooms on the roof of one of the stores or whatever, and that was his office there at the Grove. But it was all very hidden and very clandestine, it was, and he was very cool, very down to earth, like smart guy, very you know, you meet people where you're just like you're a bad dude.
Speaker 4: He was the opposite. I mean, he was just a really good, genuine person.
Speaker 3: I've always heard great things about h Yeah. So, and then finally morning.
Speaker 4: Gary and Shannon. Well you're talking about cockles. What about that little.
Speaker 8: Nursery rhyme, you know, like when you would jump rope blue bills.
Speaker 9: Cockle shells?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how's that got to do with what you eat? Because it's a mollusc which.
Speaker 1: Linda has malusk has a shell and it's shaped like a art and that's where we get it.
Speaker 3: It'd be like a russil or clam or something like that.
Speaker 4: Cockles oyster exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to each his home, to each his own.
Speaker 4: See look at you see I'm growth.
Speaker 3: Oh you miss any part of our show? Always listen to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Wherever you find your favorite podcast, just type in Gary and Shannon. We'll do swamp Watch when we come back. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app