Speaker 1: Go yes, mac boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Uh. We wait a long time for this one, and I asked you, goo, was the wait for your back to back most anticipated movie of the year? Was it worth it?
Speaker 2: What are expectations?
Speaker 1: The great question? They either ruin everything or make things way better. That's that's really what we're dealing with here, That's really I mean, I know people, this is a big thing, right We talk about movies and television and everyone's always like, remove your expectations, move your expectations. Sorry. When you watch sixty movies a year, when you watch twenty television shows a year, you have certain expectations based off certain genres, certain actors, certain directors, certain writers. This one, directed by Bong Juno and starring Robert Pattinson, was pretty anticipated.
Speaker 2: By the way, say the name of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's in the title of the episode, so I'm sure they'll figure that part out. This has been a long time coming because Bong Juno was the director of twenty nineteen's Best Picture of Parasite, and that really put him on the map for a lot of people. He's directed other things in the past, and more recently, Robert Pattinson has become a pretty he was super successful obviously because of Twilight, but a more legitimate actor the Batman. Good time, good number of amazings.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So these two combining forces were like, Hey, this could be fantastic and gu I ask you, y was it?
Speaker 2: I think this has come out on the perfect week. We have this and we have Daredevil reborn or born again in the same week where you have these expectations, these building promises that you have built in your mind over years and years, and Mac going into both of them, I said, I'm not gonna expect too much and I am satisfied.
Speaker 1: All right. The short answer for me would be no, one, go three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just three. King of Queen Marl Street Entertainment.
Speaker 1: I'm Goo and I'm Mac.
Speaker 2: And we bring you friendship twice, the fun twice, the French.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, we bring you friendship in the teens eighteen times.
Speaker 2: Because usually we have the same opinion. So it's like someone cloned the same white guy.
Speaker 1: Who here's a question for you, Uh, what number Goo are we on at this point in life?
Speaker 2: I'd say six or seven?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I would say I'm on two, three, four, I'm on six or seven of Mac as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that I've definitely I've evolved over time. I've had my difference stages of life. I'm probably on like my seventh stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. So we still if you're talking nine lives, like a cat still got a couple left. If you're talking Mickey seventeen, we have in fish left.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think of how many lives I might have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's that's possibility.
Speaker 2: And you know, also good that I'm still here after you know, go six or seven or go five.
Speaker 1: Credit to us that we're still getting reprinted.
Speaker 2: Credit to us that we're still alive.
Speaker 1: We've done we haven't done something so bad that they've they've ended us.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, today we are talking about Mickey seventeen. And to pick up what I asked you at the top, I would say goo that this movie was, uh, fell short of my expectations. It did not it warranted the expectations and the hype, and it did not achieve that level that I was hoping for. And I don't dislike this movie, don't get me wrong. It just really fell short of what it maybe should have been. I couldn't tell you how to improve this movie. I just would tell you that I was expecting a little more.
Speaker 2: Does it fall short of an Academy Award winning director who has given us maybe one of the best movies of the past decade, of one of our favorite actors, of a two year build up? Maybe? But I think the results, while not necessarily the most memorable movie, was a pretty fun time for the two hours and fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fair assessment of what it is. I'm sort of feeling like if this was the movie that came out right before Parasite, we would like this movie a lot more and we'd be like, Oh, his next one's gonna be really good, because he's getting there.
Speaker 2: He's almost I don't know about that, whereas.
Speaker 1: Parasite is near perfection. But also we are dealing with a director and a writer here where English is his second language, and this is the first script he's written in English with no help, so that might play a factor as well. And again, Parasite was in Korean, his native language, so it's probably a little bit easier to convey the themes he wants via conversation, and I don't necessarily think that's an issue in this movie. But it definitely it's a little uneven, and I wonder if that's why.
Speaker 2: I think we should have looked more like less at Parasite, because obviously these both have social commentary that's way more, but this is way This is a sci fi movie, so we should be looking at his other sci fi movies, his other adaptations of sci fi books.
Speaker 1: I'll actually push back against that. I think the prevailing theme in all of his works have been this sort of satire in social commentary, even going back to.
Speaker 2: Uh, snow Piercer.
Speaker 1: Snow Piercer massive on the satire and social commentary and also sci fi. It's just he really likes doing this stuff, and it's sort of to what degree does it land? I would say this is better than snow Piercer, but not much like this is more in snow Piercer world than it is in Parasites world. And I guess I also should say that I shouldn't expect someone to make a top fifty movie of all time every time they make a movie, which Parasite is.
Speaker 2: I don't every time, and I'm not even the biggest fan of Parasite. I really liked it. I don't love the hard left turn that they took in the third act, but I'll acknowledge it's an amazing movie.
Speaker 1: Good Did you know that you can go left on red if you're going from one one way to another one.
Speaker 2: I've noticed more and more around that we live in the state of tax achoose its that sure, there's a lot less.
Speaker 1: Not to get polycharged here, not to.
Speaker 2: Get poly charged here, but a lot less right turns on red, which is very annoying. I should be allowed to turn on every red.
Speaker 1: The issue is now they're sticking bike lanes everywhere, and so it's an added thing. So if they take away the red on red, you don't have to worry about smushing a bicyclist. So that's that's frustrating.
Speaker 2: I will say this, though, is that I have found myself hating bicyclists less as we've gotten more of the little motor scooters that weave in and out of traffic and also cut off the bicyclists like we have a common enemy.
Speaker 1: Now no pro motor scooter, but pro motorized things anti cyclic.
Speaker 2: I guess the question is how much do you drive in Boston? Not much these okay, so good does and those little motherfuckers. They'll cut you off every which way.
Speaker 1: I just want everyone to obey the rules of the road, and none of them do. So they're sort of all the same way. But at least the motorized people, I feel like they're obeying the law more than the cyclist. But whatever, that's it.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: That's a different pat they're not.
Speaker 2: Actually they're doing it way less.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough? Uh? Kude. Mickey seventeen is a rated R adventure comedy, fantasy, and sci fi. Some sub genres here alien invasion, which I suppose kind of works. Yeah, if you look at yourself as the alien. I do want dot comedy, which which it is space sci fi, which I feel like that almost is implied when you sci fi. But more importantly, this is a satire and social commentary capitalism in the corporate world, which once again I think is becoming Bong June's favorite thing to do. Gude. This has a run time of one hundred and thirty seven minutes two hours and seventeen minutes. I started to feel it amidst the third act, like right at the beginning of the third act, I started feeling the length of this movie. And this is your classic. I felt like we didn't get enough of a certain thing, and so I would have been okay if it was a little bit longer in that respect, but also because some stuff in the third act lasted too long, this movie also feels a little too well.
Speaker 2: Lasted too long. And then I also felt was kind of predictable, like it wasn't surprising and you were hoping, And I know, I just said that I didn't love the hard left turn of Parasite, but I was waiting for something crazy to happen at the end, and something that would surprise us, and it didn't.
Speaker 1: We were waiting for like a pants tent moment, honestly, and in this movie sort of lacks that. Is as much fun as it is throughout. This movie has one hundred and eighteen million dollar budget, which is pretty huge, and it's only targeting and opening of eighteen to twenty million domestically another twenty to twenty five internationally. It's gonna have to make what two hundred and fifty three hundred million to make its money back, and I don't think it's well.
Speaker 2: I think that is a lot to do with the release date being pushed off so many times, possibly reshoots that they had to do here, and maybe this was originally supposed to be more of a summer release, more of a box office time. I don't think it's gonna hit I think it might eventually get around one hundred million domestic. I don't know what it's gonna do worldwide, but I'm not sure how much of this. I'm not gonna say bombing at the box office. I think breaking even at the box office is really gonna hurt them.
Speaker 1: I think they go into this thinking they're capturing two rising stars, right, Bong Juneo and Pattinson. They're like, we'll put that together, that'll be massive people space. Yeah, this will make five hundred million easy, And I don't think it's gonna make half that overall, and that that ends up being a bummer because this movie, this movie is as good or better than a lot of movies that get to that point, but because of the extenuating circumstances, it being pushed off a year and whatnot.
Speaker 2: You're right, this is they're also dealing with, and you know, this shouldn't affect movies as much as it does. But it's not a known ip, so you don't have that built an audience.
Speaker 1: Yea, even though they've been teasing it for a year now. But you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: Also, like, you know, we know who Boon June is, and you know a bunch of people do. But it's not like a well known Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg. He might be on his way to it, but an American audience might not necessarily be looking at it being like, Oh, I need to go see this movie from this director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And to that point, I'm not sure Pattinson has.
Speaker 2: Read this movie star either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's born. He is for us, obviously the Batman put him there, but I think in some respects he's not there. Dude. This has eighty eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics from seventy two reviews of seventy five on Metacritic from twenty eight reviews. No audience score yet, but doing pretty well with the critics.
Speaker 2: Looking at this movie, I think it's a very competent movie. I think it has its ebbs and flows of maybe being overly silly at points, maybe dragging things out a little bit at other points, but on the whole, it's a very good looking movie. And I think what helps it out is there's really only two or three settings that they had to focus on. They didn't have to really world build, you know, several planets like in Star Wars or spend a ton of time in space. You're on a ship and you're on an ice planet. And ice planets, while we've seen them, they always look good. What's the Star Wars movie that you hate? The Last Jedi, Well, we can agree it's not the best Star Wars movie. The scene on that salt planet, correct, that's what it was with salt that still looks really, really good.
Speaker 1: I'll give you that. But I'm gonna docua point from just working Ryan Johnson into this conversation. Uh go, this movie does look good, I'll give you that. I don't know, like when you take a step back, though, and you're thinking about this movie in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: I refuse to I only stepped forward.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I love that this is really a two location movie with this big, grandiose sci fi thing. Right, you just had Nippleheim, the snow planet or the ice planet, and you just really had the ship and nothing else. It's a little weird thing.
Speaker 2: When you first heard them say that, did you think it was Nippleheim? No, I heard the I thought it was Nippleheim. For half the movie, I thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: This movie is written and directed, of course, once again by Bong June Hoe, who you would know from snow Piercer in Parasite, maybe from Okja, which is a little underrated one that came out. I think it's seventeen. This is based on a book Goo called Mickey seven by Edward Ashton, so obviously a little bit of a change up there. Obviously, you and I have not read the book. We never anytime there's a book before movie, we've never read it. Just take that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know what happened in the book. But I did look at the book and saw that it was Mickey seven. First off, Mickey Mantle number seven. Keep that in mind. That has nothing to do with the movie. But when I saw that this was Mickey seventeen, I said, are they gonna have more fun with the duplicates and have more of them around? Because it's ten more than seven seventeen ten more than seven.
Speaker 1: That's good math math my head, yeah, math and goo.
Speaker 2: Should I have not thought that?
Speaker 1: Well? No, like if you read a twenty second synopsis of what this story is, you would realize there was that was never really a possibility. However, that said, that change from seven to seventeen I do think helped the early part of this movie and sort of explaining the journey as how we get to our character, because if we just had six versions of Mickey up until where we got I would have been like, I don't know about that. I feel like this should have been more.
Speaker 2: But I'm also saying like there's a point in this movie where like, I guess that's kind of spoilery, but you could have used more Mickeys.
Speaker 1: I agree, But the whole that goes against everything.
Speaker 2: Who's keeping tabs of who's a hypocritin who's not?
Speaker 1: They get a whiteboard. They got one guy doing a whiteboard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have one ultimate person that's in charge of everything. That's a loose cannon. He could say, you know what, give me a bunch of these idiots.
Speaker 1: But on a spaceship with the same people for four and a half years, it'd be really easy to hide a multiple fear, or really hard to hide a multiple of yourself.
Speaker 2: I should say not enough. One's always in the bedroom. If one's always in the bedroom, you're fine. You hide every other day.
Speaker 1: Synopsis of Mickey seventeen. Mickey seventeen, known as an expendable, goes on a dangerous journey to colonize an ice planet. He is selected for dangerous tasks because he's He can be renewed if his body dies, with his memories largely intact. With one regeneration. Though things go very wrong, I would subm in the word awry.
Speaker 2: There also who looks at a planet covered in ice and says, this is my paradise, this is where I want to live.
Speaker 1: I had some questions about that, but I think it just speaks to all the dummies buying in. You know, it speaks more to the people than it does the planet. And so I think that that's fine.
Speaker 2: You know, as we live here in in TAXI choose it's mac. Yeah, not to get Polly charged with that one. But winter cold, bad bad, hate it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't. I don't mind the cold. I hate the snow of the ice.
Speaker 2: I hate paying my energy bills. Not to get Polly charged there, but my energy bills. I live on one floor of a house and it is out the second.
Speaker 1: Floor so the second I both should be spending a littlesks the heat's rise.
Speaker 2: I should be able to be pretty much cut a hole in the floor of my house and just suck up the heat from the first floor and live off of that.
Speaker 1: I can't totally cree, dude. This stars Robert Pattinson as Mickey Barnes, Naomi Aki as Nasha. I've never seen her before, at least I've never registered her before. She's pretty good. Stephen Yun as Timo, Mark Ruffalo's Kenneth Marshall, Tony Kollett as Alpha Ilfa, Anna Maria Varto of Oartole May is Kai katz Aka just a young Monica Balucci, camer Britton as Arcadie. He was like the head scientist guy on the ship, and then Patsy Fair and his Dorothy. She was like the empathetic scientist won And that's all you'd really need to know from this from this cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it also keeps the cast pretty small. There is, uh, there's a bunch of scientists that do add levity to the movie though.
Speaker 1: The group o scientists and then like a group of cops and security guards as well, but not a ton of them have speaking lines to set the scene for some listeners who are maybe borderline on this, and based on the eighteen to twenty million opening domestic that it's shooting for, probably not a ton of people that are going to see.
Speaker 2: And also how we just started the this podcast twenty minutes in of saying well, we're disappointed, but we liked it.
Speaker 1: We did like it, but we were also expecting potentially forty dogs out of this. So that's a you and I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you're a regular person that has not been following this dumb movie for two years, I think you'll have fun. There you go, go and see it. End of the episode. Uh.
Speaker 1: This story is set in a dystopian near future Earth where the planet is like kind of crumbling. The world's economy is tanking. So there's a group of people being led by a demented politician who will give you there's some imagery there that pulls upon some real life stuff, and he's looking to establish a new society or colony on another planet. That planet is a four and a half year journey away, and it's called Nifflheim. It's a nice planet who's only inhabitants appear to be these armadillo worm like things.
Speaker 2: Which once again I would have give me some more creatures.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed. But also there's like they're only living living under the surface too, so maybe life didn't really develop too much, so this is the only thing that can live there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: How do you look at it once again and say, this is where I want to live, Like the only thing that lives here are these cockroaches under the earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't know, like what the scout mission was like, you know, maybe they just got a report back that it habitable and that was good enough. I don't know. And then we learn it's really not habitable because it takes a few Mickeys to figure out how to breathe the atmosphere on this planet. In order to go on the journey and in part to avoid some consequences back on Earth, Robert Pattinson's character Mickey, signs up to become an expendable for this cru slash journey and doesn't read any of the fine print, in fact, reads none of the print. And what this job of an expendable is is basically, they make a copy of his brain and his mind and they have this technology in this sci fi future world where they can reprint bodies, So they send Mickey on all these dangerous, harmful missions and tests to basically learn stuff or get jobs done that would otherwise kill people. And ultimately, when he does die, they possess that technology to just reprint his body and imprint his mind back on the new body. And so that's really like the whole premise of this story and what this really becomes. And very shortly into the journey in space, he meets his love interest not and also the other little wrinkle is his former partner in crime on Earth, Timo has sort of latched onto this mission too, like as a fake bullshit pilot, like kind of bullshited his way as he did on Earth. So that really sets the scene for the movie and the high jinks, And I thought they did a pretty good job really like setting the scene and like getting us into the story, because it does like a little bit of a deadpool thing, right. It opens in the middle of a scene, in the middle of a story.
Speaker 2: You're probably wondering how I got here, which is you know, it's a bit of a bit of a trope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a but it is a good way to get the viewers interest.
Speaker 2: They also do something with Nasha third act that I was like, you know what, that's really fucking sweet. I really really like that. And it does show you the connection between the two.
Speaker 1: It does. That's that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Mac. Before we get into the gauntlet, I have a question for you, a very important question for you, not only you, but the people at home. I want everyone to answer if they're were multiples of Mac. If there were two Macs, would you have a three way with yourself?
Speaker 1: Wrapper reaction is no, I'm a jealous lover. Couldn't do it. I don't think I could ever sustain a threesome, whether it be with two women or anyone. I don't think I could do it. Second secondary, when i'm thinking about it, a little bit more depends which Mac. If if I'm Mac seven or Mac eight, Mac five, a young, spry, like twenty one year old Mac. That guy's fucking better than me. I don't think I want to I want to go up against him, So no, No, I think the answer is no.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say also, you're a very spiteful person, so you'd probably.
Speaker 1: I'd kill myself. I would you would kill myself. I would kill you.
Speaker 2: You cannot say that on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I would stab Mac five, easily kill that motherfucker. No questions asked and asked meg go, Yeah, would you have a three way with yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And some other.
Speaker 2: Significent I'm sorry, yes, the answer is yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, pick flip christ Air off of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Would you murder another version of yourself?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So you want multiple us around?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could do. We could tag each other in.
Speaker 1: There's too much deviance in my brain. I would end up with a Mickey eighteen that might be a real son of a bitch and get myself in trouble.
Speaker 2: We could handle the chores. We could uh you know better ququarantine.
Speaker 1: I'll get your wife. Would she want multiple versions of.
Speaker 2: I brought this up to her the other day and at first she was like, oh no, And I'm like, but imagine what I would do. Imagine what I could do. Think about this. I could last twice as long and twice as hard. I suppose that's just we can have more sex, babe.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: You know how annoying I am? Now imagine that doubled.
Speaker 1: I'm just picturing Goo one or Goo whatever number you are six or seven off the side, chairing on Go eight.
Speaker 2: I could check Twitter while the other guy's doing it. You can flip him the phone and hop in.
Speaker 1: Your tweets would be so much better if there were two.
Speaker 2: Versions of you. Yeah, you get to see yourself in action. It's not bad, right right? Yeah? No, fuck a mirror, which so you can see yourself in double action. What do you want to do here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get to the gauntlet.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start off with the fun factor. Mac. I think I had enough fun. I know that you have here that you had a great time with Pattinson, Ruffalo, Collette. I did not enjoy as much as I thought I would mark Ruffalo in this movie. I thought he wasn't as good of a bad guy as I would have enjoyed. And I actually thought that they wasted the amazing talents of Tony Collette.
Speaker 1: So first of all, I don't put words in my mouth, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: I'm reading your doc.
Speaker 1: You didn't know you just read. You didn't finish the sentence. Pattinson, Ruffalo, and Klett are clearly having a blast, and most of that translates to the viewer. I agree Ruffalo could have been maybe be a more menacing villain, but he's also supposed to be a dope, like that's what his character is supposed to be. And it's almost like Tony Kollette is the bigger villain by the end, like she's really the puppet pulling the or the person pulling the.
Speaker 2: Store, and then push that more then they well.
Speaker 1: So that's one of the issues I had with the movie is I feel like she's ultimately the better villain. They don't spend enough time on her towards the end. And I also feel like the whole multiplicity thing and the multiple Mickeys, they don't spend enough time.
Speaker 2: You could have had more fun with the hijinks of the multiple Those.
Speaker 1: Are my two major issues with the script here.
Speaker 2: I also think you could have spread the fun out a little bit more because I feel like the fun is like it's a half an hour chunk of the movie where most of the fun is.
Speaker 1: Well and also the fun is only had by Mickey eighteen and Ruffalo in Collette. You know, there's not a lot of fun being had by anyone else. But I suppose if you're on a four and a half year spaceship journey, maybe there's not a lot of fun to be.
Speaker 2: Had, satisfactor. It could have been more satisfying, But I'm not disappointed picking.
Speaker 1: Up what I was just putting it down there. I feel like we kind of got the short ends of things when it comes to the multiple hijinks, like there could have been a lot more going on there, some more possibilities. That wasn't very satisfying, And I agree because they don't really flesh out either villain possibility. The conclusion of this movie is also not very satisfying.
Speaker 2: No, it is wildly predictable. Yeah, Mac Borometer, I think the pacing could have been different.
Speaker 1: The final act falls a bit flat for me, gets a bit stale, and it leads up to the very predictable ending. And on top of that, because you're seeing what's coming, it starts to weigh on you a little bit and you feel the length and you're not having as much fun as you did in the first.
Speaker 2: That's what she said, Azah, Halloween. Will this movie wane over time? I don't think this will have a long lasting effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it is funny. It's a funny movie. There. I left out loud a couple of times, but it's not hysteric, and even though visually it's look it looks good, there's not enough like really fun shots to come back to, and plot wise, it doesn't make it very rewatchable. So it's just a fall short of being like a really rewatchable movie.
Speaker 2: Oh shout out Robert Pattinson for the physical comedy in this movie.
Speaker 1: He's pretty good. I've never seen Pattinson in this type of role, playing this type of character, multiple characters. He does a great job.
Speaker 2: Quater World. Is this movie better or worse in the nineteen ninety five classic water World? I'll say better it is. It is definitive, but there is something about it that I will compare to water World in a second.
Speaker 1: Ooh, looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: When life gives you plemens, you make Plemonade and Mac in this movie. Who do you think, with their short amount of time stole the show? I believe, And you can put them all in a bag. The scientists, they were all having fun. They're all pretty scientist good. Nah, you know, like they weren't paying attention to when he's being printed out. They're doing other stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's good. That's a good Those were good. Lemonade makers. I think Tony Kollette just chewing up the scenery every time she was on the screen. It was fun. Her making her sauces was fun, Like she's clearly having a fun time, and she's a little She's not as overbearing as Ruffalo's care.
Speaker 2: What a weird character trait? Like, Oh, what do I do in this movie? You make sauce? That's your thing.
Speaker 1: Listen, I love sauces.
Speaker 2: Anything else, No, I get it.
Speaker 1: You're trying to spice up the same shit you've been eating for four and a half years.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought would have been perfect in that role. Catherine O'Hara.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a I could see it. I could see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, this is all up to you, Max Credit Union. Who are you giving credit to?
Speaker 1: It's clearly Robert Pattinson crushing these dual roles. Like this movie doesn't fail to meet my expectations because of Pattinson. He's doing everything he can to prop this movie up. He does a great job. It's two distinct different characters he's playing. Although I have a little bit of an issue with that writing wise, not the way Pattinson does it, but I think he's in.
Speaker 2: This movie also I think he does a great job, and maybe some people might disagree with me, but I didn't find like he changes up his voice. He's he's a little uh, he's a little manic, he's a little cartoonish. But I did not find it annoying. I think some people might find it a little much, but I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just have an issue with why seventeen and eighteen had such different voices that, like, I know, for the viewers easy to distinguish him, but it doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 2: Imagine you got Go seven over here with my beautiful, deep broadcasting voice, and then Goo eight is over here talking.
Speaker 1: Like this do you everythink you got?
Speaker 2: And Stan City excite bike Mania? What in this movie got you going? There are a couple laugh out loud scenes that did I like, I really enjoyed. Uh. There was a dinner scene in this movie that I thought was really it was almost suspenseful, but it was funny the physical stuff and it was really good. Pattinson eating like a maniac was really funny. I thought that might have been the closest thing to enjoyment wise, like what I was expecting out of this whole movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point I think with this movie really needed to take it up on another level with some more suspense, some more thrilling stuff in the movie that they did a little bit when eighteen first arrives on scene. They just didn't do enough of a little bit of I'm not really sure what's gonna happen over the next ten minutes. It just didn't have enough of that. And because of that, there's like no real standout scene for me, no real pants tent moment. I think what eighteen does towards the end of this movie is supposed to qualify for this. It just doesn't hit.
Speaker 2: They also they also start a sex scene and don't finish it. So come on, guys, good callback.
Speaker 1: I guess to the sex position.
Speaker 2: So I don't know a right we don't do that. If you start it, you gotta stop it. St up. What's the next part of the song?
Speaker 1: Start me, yup?
Speaker 2: Start? I never saw Maybe.
Speaker 1: It's like springles.
Speaker 2: Once you pop, that's it. Once you pop, the fun don't stop. That's how I view yes live.
Speaker 1: What if? In fact, it is the option for me? Once I pop, the funds immediately over.
Speaker 2: What's I pop? The depression kicks right back in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that clarity, the post of that clarity.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, all right, for those of you tarreety to the Mac and Goo party, Mac, how many hot dogs hot at forty would you give this movie you?
Speaker 1: This movie is enjoyable. It made me laugh aloud multiple times. Pattinson's great, The secondary characters are pretty funny. Bong June Hoe is clearly intentionally hitting us with certain themes. I do think that's gonna bother some based on the landscape these days, but but it's a constant presence in his work. It just is what he does. With that said, I think the premise and all the possibilities that were built in to the technology and the sci fi and the galactic adventure in this it just didn't quite meet my expectations. It didn't satisfy that. It does possess some sharp, like satirical things in here that are like kind of witty and I don't know, it's just like like we've been harping on a little bit. It just didn't quite possess that left turn, that pants tent, that thrilling or suspenseful moment that really would make this movie stick with you. So if you're coming into this expecting something on the level of say Parasite, you're gonna be I think disappointed. If you come in fresh just expecting a decent little like sci fi comedy, I think you're gonna be pretty satisfied. I think it does enough to get that qualification. So I have this at like thirty two maybe thirty three hot Dogs and is my number one movie of twenty twenty five so far, one out of two. If I'm comparing some this to some movies from last year, I think it would have slotted into like that third seen of fifteen range, with movies like Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Kingdom of the Player of the Apes and Furiosa. Furiosa is I'm feeling a little bit like that, where there's like a stand up performance, there's some fun. It's probably better than people are giving a credit for it, but it's not gonna make a ton of money.
Speaker 2: I go Furiosa though, just because you have that, you have that villain, you have pants ten scenes in Furiosa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Furiosa might be better than this, but it's it's I think it's in that same range.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, mac I had fun. I thought that a good portion of This was actually really funny. I laughed out loud at several scenes. I already brought up that dinner scene that I loved Pattinson rules. I thought that his physical comedy in this is something that we haven't seen before. I mean, good times. It wasn't necessarily physical comedy, but physically how he played that role in that movie is different too. I really loved there was a sweet third act scene that showed the love that Nasha truly had for Mickey, and I thought it. I thought it rounded her. It also rounded out his life as well. The four and a half years on the ship kind of sucks, but you do truly have each other. And I really really liked.
Speaker 1: That twenty thirty minutes kind of made her look like a gigantic piece of shit. So it was a good like, oh, we're starting to not like her, yeah, and they show that, like, actually we love her.
Speaker 2: Where it showed that he wasn't alone, He was never alone on this shit. Nice, really nice scene it was. I thought that it was a pretty good sci fi one to two locations. It didn't get too creative with its worlds or with its creatures. You can take that, you can you can love it or hate that, but I thought that they didn't. I guess, like creatively, you'd really want more. But I didn't mind them. I didn't mind them doing that because I think ice planets always look nice. I just questioned why you want to go there.
Speaker 1: Or like a little more time on the planet than what we got.
Speaker 2: I was looking for more in that sex scene. The conclusion, it's okay. I thought it was too obvious and it did go on a bit too long. But the way that I looked at I said this to you after the movie is this was almost like this feels like a perfect Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon. You're flipping through and this movie's on TNT, this movie's on TBS, and you say, you know what, I'll watch this. It's a It's a perfect cable movie that you aren't spending too much, you aren't investing you know, money into your fine watching it with commercials. You're here to kill time with it. And I thought it did a good job at that, and not enough movies are like that anymore. It doesn't really have anything to do with too many ips. It's based off a book. I don't know if there's multiple books that go with this, but I had fun thirty three hot Dogs.
Speaker 1: I don't really think you did say that instaly, and I was thinking about it, and I don't really feel the same way you do about that. And maybe it's just the way we view cable movies, because I think this is like a better quality than a cable movie. It's more of a thinker than a cable movie. And it's also like less rewatch that you want it would want it to be for a cable movie, So I don't it doesn't really qualify for me as like a so here's the whole thing Saturday movies.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna do this in mac sack. But cable movies really range in how good they are.
Speaker 1: Mac Yeah, but you want them to be like myn numbing and this isn't mind numbing. This actually has some like witty satirical things and some social commentary to it. It's like it's it's just.
Speaker 2: I would argue that the best cable movie of all time is a forty hot dog like well thought out, well written, should have won an oscar movie. Shooter, yees, shooter, I hope you added shooter. I didn't put shooter on there. Shooters great Shooters is great. Damon and Elias Ktais love shoots.
Speaker 1: Mark k Wohlberg.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was thinking of what's the one with Matt Damon? What's the matter?
Speaker 1: You're thinking of a Born movie?
Speaker 2: You you jump into sports.
Speaker 1: The hat movie with the guy from uh that show that I don't like.
Speaker 2: It's not a hat movie with shooter movie? What am I thinking of?
Speaker 1: Spoilers sparker spoiler spoilers.
Speaker 2: Okay, look it is Wallberg, but Elias Kataus is in the movie. So I was just picturing. They're all a bunch of Boston boys. They all look the same.
Speaker 1: Oh, Katay is one of the bad guys. Yeah, yeah, yeah, come on, and you got what's his name? The guy that gives the recaps an ant.
Speaker 2: Man, Michael Pena, Michael Panny Glover.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a great Michael Penham movie and better than a cable movie is end of Watch with him and Jake Joenhall.
Speaker 2: You know it's a bad one, Chips.
Speaker 1: Deel, I'll never watch it. I'll just believe you.
Speaker 2: That's a big Dax Shepherd movie though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big Dax Shepherd vehicle. We're we're all clamoring for those uh spoilers for Mickey seventeen. At the end of this movie or at the zenith of this movie, Mickey eighteen sacrifices himself in order to kill Kenneth Marshall played by Ruffalo, and save Mickey seventeen, Nasha and their potential colony on Nifflheim. This is what you and I are talking about as the really telegraphed obvious conclusion to the movie. You knew it was coming from a million miles away. I was fine with it. It makes sense lotistically. I just didn't love it, dude. My biggest thing here is Mickey seventeen and eighteen are so drastically different and like in theory than the same person with same experiences. So I didn't really love how different they were. I get you would have certain versions of yourself that'd be a little more confident or a little more assholary than you normally are.
Speaker 2: But this was almost too much of a too much nice to day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't love that. Honestly. Maybe that's because we also didn't get more Mickeys like you were referring to. They all felt like seventeen.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. So leading up to seventeen, they all felt like the same person, and then eighteen was different. Maybe if they he didn't say.
Speaker 1: He did say, like five was this and seven was this, we just didn't see it, so it doesn't hit as much for the viewer.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. The scene that I was talking about, well, we'll talk about two scenes. But Mickey, his big thing in the movie is that he hates being asked what it's like to die, and you pretty much up to a certain point in the movie, just always assume that he's by himself and he needs to deal with death by himself. And there's a scene at the end and it kind of flips it on its head because they showed at the beginning the same thing, but then they showed the conclusion of it at the end where Nasha she does put the suit on, but she gets into a tank where Mickey is dying, and it does seem like whenever she had the possibility, she would always be there for him in death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's really like a little bit what I'm referring to here with this movie is like a level above a cable TV movie, because that is incredibly traumatic for someone to watch a loved one die and.
Speaker 2: She has to go through this over and over again. You can never really think about in this movie how she's dealing with it.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, And they almost don't spend enough time on that because once you start to think about you're like, oh, fuck, that is fucked up. And it does like it does speak to something else that the rest of the movie doesn't really talk about, and it does show how much Nasa really does love him. Also an aside to that is there's a moment in this movie where the woman Kai, who looks like Monica Blucci, her like friend dies but it's more of a love interest dies when they're out on a mission on Niffelheim, and so she's dealing with this and there's a nice moment where she asks him what it's like to die because she looked in her loved one's eyes right beforehand, and it it I question. I was really intrigued as to where this was gonna go with that character and the multiple of mickeys, and we get no conclusion to that.
Speaker 2: He also just disappears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird. It's like it's like they had more planned for her, but they cut out, like her extra ten minutes that was maybe gonna be in the third act. I don't know, it's it was bizarre.
Speaker 2: And also, look at Nasha, how so she's dealt with all of these mickeys. She's dealt with seventeen mickeys, so when one dies, she needs to then sit back and go, Okay, what's this mickey personality going to be right? Right?
Speaker 1: And it's it's honestly a lot like we didn't get enough from Nash's point of view, and I get that's not necessarily the point of the movie, but it is the prevailing like emotional stuff you're left with from the movie. You're like, oh shit, Nasha's been through a lot. They don't spend a lot of time on it, and it does show through when she saves him and sticks up for him in these final moments. But we just needed a little bit more of that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the dinner scene that I was talking about earlier, I loved it. He is first off's his rations have been cut in half. He's barely eating. He was just on an ice planet for days. Possibly he gets back and he gets to have the steak dinner. The steak looks disgusting, but so bad. He is just going to town on it. He is eating so so much of it. He gets sick from it. The physical work that Pattinson is doing. In this scene where he's just throwing himself around, he's throwing up, he gets a shot in the neck. They're like, all right, put him of his misery. No, Like he's.
Speaker 1: So good in this seed then like the sign just come in and so like totally. Stuff isn't always like maybe what it should be. It's a little off because he's trying to match these two things together and it works great in some scenes. Other scenes it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I like it just felt like I'm not disappointed because it's a good movie. I'm just left thinking about that, like his best work is gonna be much better than this, Like I am. I am, like I have a desire a want for something better than this, not that this isn't good.
Speaker 2: All right, So I'll say thirty three hot dogs. I'm not sure if you have to see it in theaters, but I do recommend eventually seeing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I always recommend something to this level of like CGI and sci fi. It's probably good to see in theaters on a bigger screen with bigger sound.
Speaker 2: That's because you're Sean Baker, and you're saying we need to support people, we need to get in there.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're gonna miss much though, if you don't see this on the big screen.
Speaker 2: Plus, there's no popcorn bucket for it.
Speaker 1: True, you did got popcorn this time.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got popcorn. I went to town on that popcorn.
Speaker 1: By the way, those seats next to me were wide open the whole.
Speaker 2: Movie, I know, but they didn't say press. So I didn't want to break the rules.
Speaker 1: It was a weird experience.
Speaker 2: Much like everyone on that ship. I follow the rules. Let's get into Mac sach all right, So Mac, back to your sac And I compared this to a movie that you might just fall into on a Saturday. And I am going to ask you, Mac, I have a list here of movies that are well known for playing on say TNT, TBS, VH one E, you know, all of the big channels, Comedy Central. I'm going to ask you to pull some of these out here and give me either a mount Rushmore or a six pack of the best cable movie television movies. I said that wrong, either way, Shall I get started? So once again, not the best movies, but the best four when they are on cable shosh Ank Redemption.
Speaker 1: Obviously you get shosh by it every time, but it removes a couple of the most emotional scenes and it's just too good to be a cable TV movie anything.
Speaker 2: Nicholas Cage, I.
Speaker 1: Would say The Rock for me. Some people might say Face Off or con Air. I would go The Rock is definitely on my Mount Rushmore of cable television movies. Point Break, that's a good one. That's a good one. Yeah, it's not on my Mount Rushmore, but it's a good one. Roadhouse, Yeah, I'd say this is kind of this is kind of what we're talking about here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Independence Day, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: It almost seems too significant to be a cable TV movie, but it feels like a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Miscongeniality, Yeah, okay, like a PG PG thirteen comedy with a little bit of highjinks.
Speaker 1: That's not necessarily what I would think of what a cable TV movie, but it might qualify.
Speaker 2: Because it's also a comedy that you're not gonna find, say, on Comedy Central, this is one that you would find on TBS or.
Speaker 1: Teams A good point, strong point, Grease Come on good. It's one of the greatest musicals of all time, maybe the greatest.
Speaker 2: It's not as good as Grease too, any of the Miss Impossibles. The first three really do feel like cable movies, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point, But I don't love the third one is where it kicks up with Phil Seemour Hoffman. That's where it maybe kicks up. Maybe you throw that one in here, but the yeah, okay, yeah, I'd be okay with.
Speaker 2: Picking one of those, the Ocean's trilogy.
Speaker 1: I would just say a Sodaberg like movie, a movie like The Ocean's movies might qualify. Let's say Ocean's Oceans twelve. How about the sequel? So I got the Rock and Ocean's twelve.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you do have two on your mountain Rushmore. The next one I almost don't even want to count. Indiana Jones feels the most out of the franchise. Is like it's one of those cable movies, but you have Star Wars that are constantly running in their marathons, Harry Potter, Marvel movies where you know, we love Marvel, but they've kind of killed the cable movie, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is tough because they are constantly on cable television. But it's it's it's just it's not at all what I'm considering.
Speaker 2: No, but also because they're constantly playing these movies, they aren't playing say like Blackhawk Down anymore.
Speaker 1: Right right, Speed Speed's a good one. Speeds are I feel like that. I feel like the range maybe because of us, but also because of cable TV is late eighties to early two thousands, like solid action movies. Maybe your miscongenialities with some comedy too.
Speaker 2: Caddy Shack.
Speaker 1: I just don't like caddies.
Speaker 2: You're stupid, You're dumb. You just don't get the humor. It's over your head.
Speaker 1: Forrest Gump, now this is a good one because it's not nearly as good as Shas Shank, but it's also like maybe it's I mean, is it better than cable TV quality?
Speaker 2: I don't know. No, So first off, these are all better than cable TV quality. It's just a movie that you always find on cable TV. Is a good one because Forrest Gump is also one that, like when it's on, you'll just pick up at different like random points and like, all right, fucking I'll just watch Forrest Gump.
Speaker 1: Fororst Gump might be on there, yeah, because it's also like it has so many detractors too, that it's kind of it gets knocked down a couple couple runs. So maybe, yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: Forrest Gump House Party that was.
Speaker 1: Party's a good one. Okay, maybe maybe more like Friday kind of, but then you're getting into like they cut out some of the best scenes of the movie. Friday's another good one. Joe Dirt, Ah, Joe Dirt's just almost not good enough. It used to be on Comedy Central so much. I love Joe Dirt. Do I have Joe Dirt behind me?
Speaker 2: I might?
Speaker 1: Actually, Joe Dirt would not be up there for me. Off of Space, Off Space is a good one. That's a good one. And that's sort of that late nineties early two thousands comedy that didn't quite do well at all in the theater too, So that's a pretty good one.
Speaker 2: The next one you better have on there, and that is The Rush Hours.
Speaker 1: I feel like those are almost two good but you're right they are. They played on cable constantly when we were grown up.
Speaker 2: They like wouldn't only play on like the action networks. They wouldn't just play on Spike TV. They would also be on Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crossover.
Speaker 2: The crossover appeal is through the roof. Like earlier, when I was when I was doing my research for this, I saw that I saw that drum line played in the year twenty twenty twenty eight times on VH one, just VH one.
Speaker 1: That's all like once every other week.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. If you think about it, your you aren't. You're playing drum line a lot.
Speaker 1: Give me drumline on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Speaker 2: Coyote Ugly, that's a solid one.
Speaker 1: That movie just kind of sucks.
Speaker 2: Though, speaking of being disappointed by a movie when you're telling eleven twelve years old and you see the commercials for Coyote Ugly and you say, I am going to have myself at time with Coyote.
Speaker 1: J Iira Banks, these other people, A few good Men. That's way too good.
Speaker 2: That was always on though it was it was always on. Same thing with Saving Private Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also way too good.
Speaker 2: Jumanji Original one nineteen ninety five. Obviously Jamuji and Jamiji is a good one. Terminator one two three eventually got on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those were constantly playing as well. But I feel like, that's too good. I'm thinking about it. So if I had to make a Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, you can add Shooter and water World if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me the good point, give me the Rock, give me Shooter, give me water World, and give me miscongeniality. I may go Gump, but give me one. Give me something from the Ocean's Trilogy for okay. So that is your Mount Rushmore. Of when you're going through the cable channels the movie is on. You know that some of the stuff is cut out. You know that there's commercials, and you're gonna stop and watch. Yeah, and look about you.
Speaker 2: I'll go, uh, a Nicholas Cage movie. I will say, can now face off? I want face off? I will say misking geniality. It was always on and I would always stop and watch it. I will say Joe Dirt, I love Joe Dirt, all right, A stab you the neck with a soder and iron. You forget the Christopher Walkins in that movie. I love Brittany Daniel, Brittany Daniel and Jamie Presley. Yeah, and then uh, what was always on that I would always watch?
Speaker 1: I'm I just put office space. Can I take an ocean out and put an office space for my form.
Speaker 2: You can put in office space that way, you have a comedy. Shit, what else would I put in there? M it's Pat. It's Pat. Was never on a Night at the Roxbury. A Night at the Roxbury. I just caught on the National Lampoon channel. And I do want to give you credit. You said that Molly Shannon in the late nineties was a nice looking lady. And you know what that movie she looks great. She does look very good. I also I forgot it's not a good movie. It's funny, though it is funny. You know who's very good in it? Uh? Dan Isaiah. He plays the father of the Bhutabs.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you watched Corky Romana.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it in quite some time. But you guys want some cookies East that's very good. But there's a part in a Night at the Roxbury which I guess I'll just put on here. Who cares? But where Dan Isaiah is asking Will Ferrell how he's feeling on the day before his wedding, and he's like, you ever just feel like when she's sleeping you want to smother her with the pillow and just wait until the last dying breath is just leaving her body. And Dan Isaiah is like, that's perfectly normal. Maybe I didn't deliver it as well as he did, but I like it because he's a very concerned look on his face the entire time. Will Ferrell is talking to him.
Speaker 1: What's the divorce rate like in the world these days? That's I feel like that's a that was a sentiment by a lot of people over the last twenty years. So they'd like to smother their significant other just until the break of death, the point of death, and they'll let it go.
Speaker 2: Dan Hudeia, it's Dan Hudaya, not Haseia, by the way, Okay, he is one of those unsung heroes of the nineties. They pop of it everyone once in a while, and he would he would just play his role. He'd just do his look at him and now clueless, who shares dad, Dan.
Speaker 1: Hud Hey, that's a good one for.
Speaker 2: Wasn't really that wasn't really a cable like I'll run.
Speaker 1: Paul Rudd, Alicia Silverstone, Murphy.
Speaker 2: Can I count Blast from the Past or was that not on cable enough?
Speaker 1: Is that? Brendan Fraser Frasier Crazier.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Alicia Silverstone?
Speaker 1: Could I count?
Speaker 2: We just start going back and forth our dumb favorite movies from that time.
Speaker 1: Could I count the music video by Oxmith? I don't want to miss a thing with Alicia Silverstone and Live Tyler? Does that count?
Speaker 2: Can I count the the TLC video Red Light Special? What else we got? Monkey Bone? Want to count? Monkey Bone?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: All right, okay? Podcast? Once you mentioned monkey Bone, the podcast is done. That's a rule he reached.
Speaker 1: That's it. You can find us on Twitter and Instagram, at mcgoof, at macagoo podcast, every other platform. That's a good one. The mummies got a good one, right there.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, keep on.
Speaker 1: Very good Maxtra seven Goo That includes Facebook, s, Ditch Tuning, Cashbucks, Breaker, Google Play, iHeartRadio. We're on Spotify. More importantly, we're on Apple Podcast. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If we do that, we'll get your free mac and Gooo T shirt from the folks over at watertown Sportswear Wattertown Sportswear on thirty four mon OUVM Street in Watertown. Watertown Sportswear dot com experts screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 2: I think we covered all of the movies that are behind the Mummy was a good late edition. The Mummy is. I have such fond memories of driving to Canada in a giant bus with our with our hockey team and watching the Money. Yeah, because that was a movie for the whole family.
Speaker 1: It also gave us Rachel Weiss in like a corsette, you know.
Speaker 2: And bugs that would crawl into your skin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, into our sarcopha guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Tepublic dot com merch check us out on Monday Wheel or Goosday. Sorry we don't those aren't days. Goos Day. We'll be doing a news dump on that day, and I think that we might have a March macnus ready for next week. Tuesdays are Goos Days. I abuse Kangaroos, Tim Burton, Bye. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's signed for girls jumping on trampolines.