Speaker 1: The very thing you're most ashamed of in your life, the very thing you wish it had never happened, the very thing you resent the most, the very thing that's caused you the most pain, could become your greatest ministry in helping other people. The very thing you hate the most in your life, that God was grieving over when it happened.
Speaker 2: God wants to use it for good in your life.
Speaker 1: See, anybody can bring good out of good, but God specializes in bringing good out of bad. How do you get through what you're going through. I'm not a prophet, and I'm certainly not a psychic. I don't even believe in psychics. Nobody can predict the future. If somebody's trying to predict the future and they're taking your money, you're getting ripped off because nobody, the Bible says, knows the future.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows it. But I do know this.
Speaker 1: In the next three hundred and sixty five days, some of them are going to be tough for you. You're going to go through some difficult days. You're going to go through some tough times. You're going to go through some rogue winds, some trials, troubles, tribulations, you're going to go through some problems and pressures and stress in your life. In fact, I can guarantee it. Why Because the world is broken. We've talked about this many times. Nothing on the earth works perfectly. Once Sin entered the world, the world is in rebellion against God. You are in rebellion against God. I'm in rebellion against God, he said, no, I'm not. Oh yeah you are. Every day you get up and decide what you want to do, not what God wants you to do, And almost on a daily business you go, I know what God says, I'm good, I'm gonna do this. Instead. That's called rebellion. That's called sin, and that broke everything in the planet. So nothing works perfectly. The weather doesn't work perfectly, the economy doesn't work perfectly. Your body it doesn't work perfectly. Your relationships, your marriage, your friendship doesn't work perfectly. None of your dreams happen exactly as you plan them to be. Nothing on this planet is perfect because everything is broken. This is Earth, not Heaven. Everything works right in Heaven. Nothing works correctly all the time on Earth. Probably the question I'm asked more often than any other question is Rick, why is there evil in the world? Why is their suffering in the world. Why is their pain in the world. Why are there so many problems in the world. Why does God allow evil and all the pain that comes from it in the world. Well, it's not really that hard a question to answer. It's because God has given you a free choice, and God has given all of us a free will. And because of that we make stupid choices. You do, I do, and other people do, and that causes pain, and that causes hurt and as a result, everything is broken. Now, God could get rid of all the evil in the world instantly by just taking you out of it, and me too, and everybody else. Because none of us do right all the time. We all have our own brand of self centeredness. I do, and we all have our own brand. You have hurt people, sometimes intentionally and sometimes unintentionally, and that causes pain.
Speaker 2: And you have been hurt by others.
Speaker 1: Sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally. Now God could get rid of all the suffering, all the sorrow, all the sadness, all the brokenness by just taking away man's free will. He could have made us puppets. He could have made us where you don't even have a choice. But God allows you to reject him. God allows you to go your own way. God allows you to disobey. God allows you. Don't have to love God. In fact, most people in the world don't, and as a result, there are consequences of that.
Speaker 2: Why does God allow free choice?
Speaker 1: Because he wants a race of tested individuals in his family who choose to love him.
Speaker 2: And love is a choice.
Speaker 1: I can't say that I truly love you unless I have the choice to not love you. If I'm forced to love you, it's not love. If God forces us to do the right thing, If God forces us to love Him forces us to worship, it's not worship. It's not love, it's not honor. It's being forced to do it. God could have made you where you had no choice at all, and you prayed ten times a day, and you always did the right thing, and you never lied, never exaggerated, never got jealous, never had envious, never stressed out, never worried. He could have done that, and then there would be no problems in the world. But the reason why there are sin and suffering and sorrow is because of the choices that people have made. See if I overeat and I don't exercise, and I get under stressed and I have a heart attack. I can't say and die. I can't say, hey, what was God doing? Why did God kill me? Or kay can't say why did God kill my husband? God didn't kill my husband. I killed me with a fork. And if I go out here and I get drunk and I'm driving down the freeway and I run into a car with a woman who's how pregnant with a child, and she dies and the baby insider dies, that wasn't well, it must have been God's.
Speaker 2: Well, no, that was my will.
Speaker 1: I am so tired of people attributing evil to God. Somebody gets molested, somebody gets beat up, a war gets started, Well, it must be God's will.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: God's will is almost never done on this earth. Why because we have a will. That's why we are commanded to pray Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Why because in Heaven's God's will is done perfectly, And on earth.
Speaker 2: It's almost never done.
Speaker 1: For somebody who says, well, everything that happens is God's will, well, God allows it, yes, but where does God do it? He's grieving when a woman or a man gets raped and a little child gets molested. Was that God's will? Of course not. God is not the author of evil. But God has allowed the freedom of choice. One day, the Bible says, God is going to settle the score one day. God is going to even the odds. One day, the books are going to be balanced. There is going to be eternal judgment, and there is going to be eternal reward, No doubt about it. There will be a judgment day. In the meantime, we're living on a broken planet. And that's why I can guarantee you're going to have problems.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: One of the things I love about the Bible we're getting ready to go into forty days in the Word in about two weeks, is that the Bible always tells the truth. Any other book will have exaggerations in it will lie to you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You read biographies of guys that are written by their friends, and they gloss over all the bad parts. The Bible, when it talks about people, shows them warts and all. It always tells the truth. And what tells us that Abraham was a great man of God.
Speaker 2: It also tells us all his weaknesses.
Speaker 1: When it tells us that David was a great man of God. It also tells us all his weaknesses in the passage we're going to look at today. Second Corinthians. One Paul, probably the greatest Christian who ever lived next to Jesus himself, talks about when he went through the slew of depression, when he was so depressed he despaired of life itself.
Speaker 2: He said, you're kidding me. I am not kidding you. That.
Speaker 1: Paul was so honest he talked about it. He said, one time, I was so depressed. I was so discouraged. I was ready to give up. I was ready to throw in the I was ready to kick.
Speaker 2: Kick the bucket. I was ready to say, Okay, God just kill me.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna live. I was so in much despair. Now the good news is we can learn from that. This is a very powerful passage we're gonna look at now. I hope you're not going through tough times right now. You may be, but you're gonna need what I share with.
Speaker 2: You this morning.
Speaker 1: So get out your pencil, because this passage teaches us the six keys to getting through what you're going through when you're going through a tough time. We first, let's read this passage. Paul begins, all praise to the God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. And he's going to talk a lot about comfort because he's talking about going through tough times. He God comforts us in our troubles so that we can comfort others. Now, he says, when others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort that we have been, that we've been given, that God has given us. You can be sure that the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with comfort through Christ. So when we're weighed down with troubles, that describe you today, When you're weighed down with troubles, he says, when we're weighed down for troubles, it's for your benefit and salvation.
Speaker 2: Who's he talking to.
Speaker 1: He's talking to a group of people in the city of Corinth, Greece.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: This book is called Corinthians. It's written to the people who lived in Corinth, Greece. If you'd written us, he would have written first Californians. But this is first Corinthians, okay. And so he says when God comforts us, it is so that we in turn can be an encouragement to you. He says, it's for your benefit salvation. When God comforts us, we in turn can be an encouragement to you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We're all confident that as you share in suffering, you will also share God's comfort. Now, I guess a little biographical here, and he starts to tell us what's going on in his life. He says this, I think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble that we went through in the province of Asia. Paul's given a little biography here. He said, we were crushed. Never felt like that. We were crushed, and we were completely overwhelmed. Ever felt like that, and we feared that we would never live through it.
Speaker 2: In fact, we expected to die. That's pretty bad when you're going through a tough time. And he say, I'm not even gonna make it. I'm going to die in this.
Speaker 1: But he says, as a reason rel we learned not to rely on ourselves but on God, who can raise the dead.
Speaker 2: I mean God can do anything. He can. He can raise the dead.
Speaker 1: And He God did deliver us from mortal danger, and we are confident that He will continue to deliver us. He will rescue us because you, you people in Corinth, you are helping by praying for us.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As a result, many others will give thanks to God because so many people's prayers.
Speaker 2: For our safety have been answered. Now, in this very.
Speaker 1: Powerful passage, Paul gives us models for us the six things you must do to get through what you're going through.
Speaker 2: Let's look at him. Number one.
Speaker 1: No matter what I'm going through physically, relationally, financially, mentally, spocially, whatever tough time.
Speaker 2: I'm going through, the first thing I have.
Speaker 1: To do is this, I've got to remember remember that God can use it for good. That's the starting point. Before I do anything else, I remember that no matter what I'm going through, God can use it for good in my life. Now, I don't have time to go into all the ways that God can use problems in your life.
Speaker 2: There are literally.
Speaker 1: Dozens and dozens of ways God can use problems for good in your life, and the Bible has a lot of lot to say about this. The Bible says that God uses problems to direct us to say, here's the way I want you to go.
Speaker 2: And God uses.
Speaker 1: Problems to inspect us, to see what's really inside of us, what we're made of. Like a tea bag, you put it in hot water, you know what comes out. You know what's inside it. When you squeeze a toothpaste that you know what's inside it. When the squeezes on you, what's inside of you comes out. God uses problems to direct us and inspect us. God uses problems to correct us, say I don't want you to go that way. I want you to go this way. God uses problems to perfect us, to make us like himself. And God uses problems to protect us, saying I really don't want you to get hurt over there. Someone allow a problem here to keep you from doing that over there. The Bible talks about how problems edify us, how problems sanctify us, how problems purify us. There are many, many good benefits of problems in your life. But in this passage Paul mentions three. So let's just look at those three. There are three things God can do with the problems in your life. You might write these down. First, God can use it to teach me to trust him. God can use the problems I'm going through to teach me to trust him. Andre Crouch, the famous Christian singer, once wrote a song and he says, if I never had a problem, I'd never know that God could solve them. It's true, how many times have you heard me say this? You don't know God is all you need until God is all you've got. And you've lost your job, and you've lost your house, and you've lost your marriage, or you've lost your health and all these things, and you don't know God is all you need until God is all you've got. God can use the problems I go through to teach me to trust him.
Speaker 2: Look at verse eight.
Speaker 1: We were crushed and completely overwhelmed, and we thought we would never live through it.
Speaker 2: In fact, we expected to die.
Speaker 1: But as a result circle that as a result, this is the first benefit of problems in my life. As a result, we learned not to rely on ourselves but on God, who can raise the dead. You know, some things we only learn through pain, just human nature. There's some things your parents could tell you a hundred times. Don't touch that hot stove, but it looks so cool, and you touch it and you get burned, and then you never touch it again. Some things we only learn through pain. God says, I want you to learn to trust me, and so I'll allow problems that force you.
Speaker 2: To make that choice.
Speaker 1: Another thing we can learn is God can use problems to give me a ministry to others. To give me a ministry to others, You say, you got to be kidding me, I'm not. Your pain often reveals God's purpose for you. How many times have you heard me say God never wastes a hurt. If you've gone through a hurt, God doesn't want you to waste it and just hold on to it. He wants you to be able to help other people going through that same hurt. He wants you to share it. And God can use the problems in my life to give me a ministry to others. In fact, the very thing you're most ashamed of in your life, the very thing you wish it had never happened, the very thing you resent the most, the very thing that's caused you the most pain, could become your greatest ministry in helping other people who can better help somebody going through a bankruptcy and somebody who went to a bankruptcy, who can better help somebody lose in a house than somebody who lost a house. Who can better help somebody struggling with an addiction, sexual chemical or whatever? Then somebody who struggled with an addiction, sexual chemical or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's what celebrate recovery is all about.
Speaker 1: Who could better help parents of a special needs child than parents who raised a special needs child? Who could better help somebody who's lost a child than somebody who lost a child? Who could better help somebody who's been molested or raped? And somebody goes, I know that pain. I know that the very thing you hate the most in your life that God was grieving over when it happened. God wants to use it for good in your life. You see, anybody can bring good out of good, but God specializes in bringing good out of bad. A lady once asked me, he said, where was God when my son died? I said, he was the same place he was when his son died.
Speaker 2: On the cross. He was crying, he was grieving.
Speaker 1: God looked down and saw what was happening to his son, Jesus Christ, and he was grieving. Could God have stopped it, Yes, of course he could have. But how we have done taken away the free will of men. And if he did that, he needs to take away your free will and your choice. That's not fair to take away somebody else's but not yours. God looks at the things that happen in our lives that causes pain, and the Bible says God weeps. Did you know the only reason you have emotions is because you're created in God's image God. God is an emotional God. God has feelings too. If God didn't have feelings, believe me, as a human being, you wouldn't have any feelings. But God gets happy, so you get happy. And God gets sad, so you experience sadness. And God gets angry, so you get angry. God gets jealous when he sees people rejecting him for somebody, So that's why you have jealousy. The reason you have emotions is because God is an emotional God and he created you in his image. And when you're being pain, believe me, God is in pain with you. He is weeping and he's crying. But God can give you a ministry to others. The things in your life that are painful. God wants to use for good to help others. Look at these verses first, Corinthians one four. God comforts us in our troubles so that we can comfort others.
Speaker 2: Look at verse six.
Speaker 1: When we're weighed down with troubles, it's for your benefit. In other words, when I'm going through my problem, it's really for your benefit for when and salvation. When God comforts us so that we in turn can be an encouragement to you, then you could patiently endure the same thing the friends. This is called redemptive suffering. Redemptive suffering is when you go through a problem and a pain for the benefit of others. This is what Jesus did when Jesus died on the cross. He didn't deserve to die, and he went through that pain redemptively for your benefit, so you could be saved, so you could go to heaven, so I could go to heaven for redemption. Any mother who's had a baby has gone through redemptive suffering. They don't call it labor for nothing. And when a woman is going through the pains of labor, she's not doing that for her benefit. She's doing it for the benefit of that baby. That's redemptive suffering.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 1: There are many different problems for the p causes for the problems, pain and suffering in your life. Sometimes, In fact, most of the stuff that happens I bring on myself. When I make stupid decisions, then it causes.
Speaker 2: Pain in my life.
Speaker 1: If I go out and I overspend and I buy things I can't afford, and I get a house that I can't afford, and I presume on the future, and then I go deeply in debt and I lose my house. I can't say, God, why do you let me lose my house? I brought that on myself. I can't blame God for my decisions that I overspend and put way too much money on the credit card.
Speaker 2: That was my choice. God had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: So some of the problems I bring on myself, some of the problems I'm innocent. Some of the problems you're innocent with, and you're hurt by the pain, the stupidity, the wrong decisions, the sins of other people, and you're hurt by other sins.
Speaker 2: But some of the.
Speaker 1: Pain, some of the problems in your life is for redemptive suffering for the benefit of other people. And God allows you to go through a problem so then you can help others.
Speaker 2: It's a third thing I can remember that God can use it.
Speaker 1: Not only did teach me to draw close to him, to trust him to give me a ministry. God can use it to draw me closer to other believers. Now, this is a big deal, to draw me closer to other believers. God wired the human being for community. You were wired for relationships. You weren't meant to go through life all alone. Whether you ever get married or not is irrelevant. But you need people in your life and you need a spiritual family. That's why you need a church. We are a spiritual family, and you need close relationships and you need friendships. In fact, the very first thing God said was not good about the earth. He said, it's not good for man to be alone. Did you know that.
Speaker 2: God hates loneliness? Hates it.
Speaker 1: God hates loneness. God is a God of love. Love means you have to have relationships. God is in a relationship to himself, father, son, and Holy Spirit. God is a relational God and he made you to have relationships.
Speaker 2: And here's the problem.
Speaker 1: We get so busy with activities and achievements and accomplishments. We don't have time for relationships, and so we skim. We're pretty independent minded. I don't need anybody. I got it on the goone, I got it all together. Until we get into problem and pain humbles us, and pain realizes that helps us realize we need support, that we were made for each other, that we're better together, and pain draws us closer. It moves us to accept support. And then all of a sudden, you ask other people for prayer because you're in so much pain. Paul says this and verse six or verse eleven, he will rescue us. I'm going through this depressing time because you are are helping how by praying for us, And as a result, many others will give thanks to God because so many people's prayers for our safety have been answered. Pain reveals how much we need each other. Now turn your outline over and I want you to notice four levels of small group relationships. Because we're getting ready to go into the next major small group study. Forty days in the word, we have over five thousand small groups. We want everybody in a small group. Why because without a small group, you can't build those kind of relationships. You don't have anybody to pray for you. Now, this is why it's so important that we learn to have relationships. Now, I want you to understand there are four levels of fellowship in a small group, and my prayer is that during the next forty days.
Speaker 2: You're gonna go one level deeper.
Speaker 1: There's the shallowest level, and there's the deepest level. Now, the shallowest level of relationships in a small group at work, wherever neighborhood is the fellowship of sharing, and the fellowship of sharing is.
Speaker 2: Hey, how about them packers?
Speaker 1: Boy, we really had another tough week suffering for Jesus in southern California with this weather. You know, you know, I almost had to put on socks. Yeah, must be winter, okay. And you know it's that kind of shallow talk about where you just share your lives. Now, there's nothing wrong with the fellowship of sharing, nothing wrong with it all.
Speaker 2: It's just the shallowest level level.
Speaker 1: And in fact, in your small group, you need to do a little bit of this every week you meet where you just kind of share your lives. You catch up on each other's lives. That's an important part of being in a small group. What's going on at work, what's going on on in your life, what's going on with your friends, your kids or whatever. And the fellowship of sharing. There's nothing wrong with You can talk about trivial stuff. What movie did you see? What do you like? What do you see on YouTube? Well, you know, what'd you post on Facebook? You can share anything and there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: It's a level of sharing, but it's the shallowest level.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The next level, which is a little bit deeper, more intimate, is the fellowship not of sharing, but the fellowship of studying. When we watch a video Bible teaching in a small group and then we open our Bibles and we study it together, we've now gone to the next level because now we're talking about more than just the weather and the economy.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking about things that change our lives.
Speaker 1: So the fellowship of studying builds a deeper relationship with three, four or five other people in your small group. And in that studying we go deeper, we grow closer together. But there's an even deeper level in that third level is the fellowship of serving together. Not studying and sharing, but serving together. If you want to grow close together with the people in your group, pick a project. Go out and help the homeless, go out and help the poor, go out and help people at prison, go out and do some tutoring, go out and help the guys down at Pendleton Marine Base, or just pick There's thousands of ways you can do good by serving together, it draws you even closer. One time, my small group a few years back, we went to Africa for ten days did a peace project together. We grew closer together in those ten days than we had in all the years we've been together because we were living together for several days. And in serving, you actually grow closer than studying or sharing. But the deepest level, the most intimate level, the most soul satisfying level, and you need a few of these relationships in your life is the fellowship of suffering. And that's when you take a deep breath and you go, you, guys, I need to share something. I really had a tough week. Things aren't going good in my work, in my marriage, with my kids, with my finances. And you take the chance to reveal the pain you're holding inside yourself. Now, whenever you share a joy, it's doubled. Whenever you share a pain, it's cut in half. And you're not carrying such a heavy load anymore. So you need to share the fellowship of suffering. That's the deepest level of all. The small group that I'm in right now, I think I've been in it eight years, this one, and there is no problem we haven't shared in eight or more years. We've had bankruptcy, we've had tax problems, we've had cancer, we've had major illness is, we've had deaths in the family, we've had problems with children, we've had major crises, we've had all you couldn't name all of the stuff that we've gone through, and it has drawn me close to them, and it has drawn them close to me. And I know that if two o'clock tomorrow morning, I had to go to the emergency room, I know there are three other.
Speaker 2: Guys who would be there with me.
Speaker 1: Because I've been there for them and they've been there for me in the middle of the night when we needed each other. It wasn't just let's get together and study the Bible. It's the fellowship of suffering. Now, the deepest level of all is the fellowship.
Speaker 2: Of the Ring.
Speaker 1: But we're not going to get into that. I'm just seeing if you're listening. Actually, you know some of you look like you're kind of dozing off.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 1: So, my precious, my goal is that you will get in a group so you can learn. Everybody needs a couple of those deeper les. You don't need a lot of them in life, but you need a couple of people who are always there when you need them.
Speaker 2: And that's the fellowship of suffering.
Speaker 1: So the first thing God says I can do is I can use it for good.
Speaker 2: I need to remember. Now.
Speaker 1: The second thing I need to do to get through whatever I'm going through is I need to refuse. I need to refuse to listen to my fears. Remember that God can use it for good. And the second thing I do to get through what I'm going through is refuse to listen to my fears, because the moment you get in a tough spot, Satan goes over time in your life, filling you with worry. Now, in Second Corinthians, Chapter one, verse eight and nine, Paul says this, he's honest about his fears.
Speaker 2: He shares his fears.
Speaker 1: I think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and completely overwhelmed, and we feared circle.
Speaker 2: That word feared. We feared we would never live through it. What are you afraid of right now?
Speaker 1: In fact, we expected to die, But as a result, we learned not to rely in ourselves. Now, some of you are really good worries. In fact, some of you are professional worriers. I mean you're pros at it because you are naturally predisposed by your personality to worry. Now, people who tend to worry tend to marry people who are over confident, and then they are irritating each other all the time. Okay, and you both have your weaknesses. Over Confidence can be a weakness too, all right Now, If your partner or your friend worries a lot, don't you get haughty and self frightened about it because you've got your own weaknesses too. Some of you have a predisposition to anger, and you lose your top easily. Some of you have a predisposition to depression, and you naturally get depressed. Some of you have a natural predisposition to get jealous or envious. Some of you have a natural tendency to be insecure. We all have our hang ups. But if I'm going to get through what I'm going through, I cannot be dominated by worry. So here's what I want to suggest you do. If you're a professional worrier, schedule you're worrying. Put it in your schedule. In fact, i'm going to tell you, as your pastor, as your spiritual advisor, you're a spiritual coach, I'm going to tell you, I want you to schedule your worry period from seven pm to seven h five pm every night. When you start to worry during the okay, said Rick. Said, I can't worry now I will. I'll put that off and at seven seven o'clock then I will worry about it. Okay, Now from seven to seven oh five you can have a full on panic attack for all I care. Okay, I just don't want you wasting the entire day worrying, because worry is worthless. It has never changed anything. Worry is doing without doing. It does not change the past. It cannot control the future.
Speaker 2: It just screws you up right now. It messes you up right now.
Speaker 1: So you worry is worth it. So I want you to limit it to five minutes a day. And when you start to worry, instead of letting it dominate you and you just go over and over and over and of course, the more you worry about, the bigger it gets. It just exaggerates itself. You limit it to five minutes a day. I only want you wasting five minutes a day. And you schedule it and say, okay, that's my worry time, and so I'm not gonna worry about it now. I've already planned to worry about it at seven o'clock. And that way you don't mess up your whole day. I refuse to listen to my fears.
Speaker 2: This is what Paul did.
Speaker 1: Remember to get through what I'm going through, I have to remember God can use it for good. I can refuse to give into fear. Number three, Rejoice in spite of my circumstances. That's the third thing you must do to get through what you're going through. I must rejoice in spite of my circumstances. Now, I'm not going to go into this in detail. I think it's pretty self explanatory. But look up here on the screen and let me show you a couple verses Philippius four to four. Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I say, rejoice? How often are we to rejoice always? And are we to rejoice for our circumstances? No, it says rejoice in the Lord.
Speaker 2: Lord.
Speaker 1: You are not to rejoice in the problem. You were to rejoice in the Lord. Big difference. You're not going to say, oh, thank you God, I got this major problem. No, you rejoice in the Lord, not in your problem.
Speaker 2: Let me show you another one.
Speaker 1: Give thanks in all circumstances. Now it says not some all give thanks in all circumstances. But notice it says in all circumstances. It doesn't say give thanks for all circumstances. God is not asking you to be a masochist. If you go, oh, thank you God, I got cancer, that's stupid. Oh thank you God, my loved one died. No, no, no, that's that's masochism. God doesn't expect you put on a happy face everything's fine when it's not fine. That's just lying. It doesn't say give thanks for the problems in your life.
Speaker 2: It says give.
Speaker 1: Thanks in in all circumstances, not for in all circumstances. For if this is God's will for you, this is God's will for you.
Speaker 2: People say, well, I'm in this problem right now. I just need to know what is God's will.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what God's will is give thanks in all circumstances. Rejoice in the Lord always. Now, let me give you one more James one twelve one two. Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. Joy is a choice. It is a choice to rejoice. Kay's just written a new book based on the study last year. It's coming out in a couple of months, called Choose Joy. You always have a choice, and no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something to thank God for. Now, this is exactly what Paul did. In verse three. Paul is in the middle of a depressing time and he says this, all praise to God, to the God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, all praise, rejoicing. He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're going through right now, and I really don't know what you're going to go through, but I do know this. Here's what you can rejoice over. God sees what I'm going through. God knows what I'm going through. God cares about what I'm going through. God loves me. God will never stop loving me. God is in control. God can give me the power to change. God will use us for good in my life. He will direct me, perfect me, correct me, inspect me, protect me. He will edify me, purify me, sanctify me. He will give me a ministry to other people. He will draw me closer to other believers.
Speaker 2: There are a.
Speaker 1: Hundred things you can thank God for even when the bottom has fallen out. I remember, I refuse, and I rejoice. The Bible says this Romans eight twenty eight.
Speaker 2: On the screen.
Speaker 1: We know that in everything God works for the good. It's not all good, but God works for the good of those who love him. They are the people he called because that was his plan. Rejoice. Number four recruit. I must recruit others to pray for me. This is the fourth thing Paul does, And this is the fourth thing you need to do to get through what you're going through. You need to recruit other people to pray for you. Now, this is very easy when you're in a small group. And that's why we want everybody in a small group, because you just ask your small group to pray for Hey. Hey, I'm going through this tough time. If you're not in a small group, you are unprotected. You don't have a small group to pray for you constantly, who know your needs. You don't have an group, you are unprotected.
Speaker 2: You don't have the.
Speaker 1: Strength that people in a small group do because you don't have people praying for you.
Speaker 2: The Bible says this in verse eleven.
Speaker 1: God will rescue us because you are helping by praying for us. Now, friends, I'll just be honest with you, I don't know how this works. I don't know how it works. But there is additional power in group prayer that is not in when you just pray for yourself. There is more power in group prayer than in single power of you praying for yourself. The Bible says, if any two agree is touching anything, it shall be done. The Bible says, where two or more gathered in my name, they're are mine in the midst of them. You need that power to get through what you're going through. That's why you need to be in a small group. It's why you need to ask them to pray for you. The Bible says this on the screen Galatians six, two carry each other's burdens. We're commanded to do that. How do you do that? By praying for each other? Carry each other's burdens. And in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. What is the law of Christ? We spend a month on it last fall. Love your neighbor as yourself. When you pray for other people, you are loving your neighbor as yourself. When they pray for you, they are loving you as themselves. Number five, reaffirm my faith in God. Even in the darkest moment of my life, I must choose to reaffirm my faith in God. Now, Paul says, I'm overwhelmed, I'm crushed. I didn't feel like I was going to live through it. My feelings are telling me I'm gonna die. I'm not gonna make it. It is terrible. It's black, dark, and I can't see ahead. And yet he says this in verse ten. We are confident that's reaffirming my faith. We are confident that he will not might, he will continue to deliver us. Reaffirm my faith and friends. This last week, little Jesse Reese lost her battle with brain cancer after ten months.
Speaker 2: Courageous little Jesse.
Speaker 1: Most of you know Pastor Eric Reeese in our church our ministry. Pastor teaches three oh one. If you've been through that class, written a couple books on how God uses shape to guide your life. Eric and Stacey Reese ten months ago learned that their oldest daughter, Jesse, twelve years old, had inoperable terminal two brain tumors. And for the last ten months they had been watching their.
Speaker 2: Little twelve year old girl slowly died.
Speaker 1: And they did the chemo, and they did the radiation, and they did all the medical science could possibly do. But this week Jesse lost that courageous battle. She had started a web page with tens of thousands of others to help kids who were cancer had little kids who had cancer.
Speaker 2: She started joy Jars. She started to.
Speaker 1: Think, called Nigu never ever give up. She was an inspiration to people all over America. But she lost that battle and she's now in heaven.
Speaker 2: I was at Eric and.
Speaker 1: Stacy's house very quickly after Jesse passed away, and we were sitting there and I asked Stacy, Stacy, how in the world did you handle How did you get through what you were going through the last ten months while you're watching your twelve year old daughter slowly die in front of your eyes and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
Speaker 2: And Stacy said, you know Rick.
Speaker 1: A lot of times, I just felt emotionally empty inside. I didn't feel anything, and I couldn't even pray.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have the words to say.
Speaker 1: I was just empty inside and I could only pray one sentence, and this was a sentence.
Speaker 2: I trust you. I trust you. That is a godly woman. That is what it means to have faith. I trust you.
Speaker 1: I'm watching my little girl die and I don't know why. And I know this is a broken planet and nothing works perfectly. But God, you are a good God, and I am gonna trust you even when my.
Speaker 2: Heart is being ripped out.
Speaker 1: Job prayed, though he killed me, I will still trust him. That's faith. That's a godly man. He said, though he slay me, yet I will trust him.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Do you have that kind of faith that says God, I'm gonna trust you and live for you and do the right thing even when things aren't going my way. Are you just a little puny baby and you only follow God when thing goes You're right? Well, things go your way, but everything starts to fall apart and you walk away from God. That is the most immature. I must reaffirm my faith God. I don't understand it. And I'm not gonna get an explanation till I get to heaven. But I trust you that's how you get through what you're going through. Now, how do you get that kind of Stacy Reees' faith? There's only one way you got to get in this book, the Bible says this faith comes from hearing the Word of God.
Speaker 2: If the more you.
Speaker 1: Get of the Bible in your life, the stronger your faith's gonna be. You get a lot of the Bible in your life, you're gonna have a lot of faith. You get a little Bible, you got have little faith. You get the Bible only once a week at church, you're gonna have almost no faith. That's like fasting six days a week and then having a banquet on Sunday. Use no way you're gonna be healthy physically or spiritually. That's why we're going to do forty days in the Word. I'm going to teach you how to get into the Bible on a daily basi because I am bound and determined as somebody who loves you, that I'm gonna increase your faith this year because you're gonna need to get ready for the rogue wins I hope they don't come, but you don't know what's gonna hit you, and you're gonna need to have your faith strong, and you only get it by getting into this book. And that leads us to number six. Rely on God's promises.
Speaker 2: My heart is.
Speaker 1: Breaking when I'm going through terrible times. The way I get through what I'm going through is I rely on the promises of God.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 1: They're over six thousand promises of God in this book, six thousand. They're like blank checks, and their promises about your career, promises about your kids, promises about your health, promises about your future and your past, and all the things your finances. But you can't claim those promises unless you know them. So you got to get in the word. Look at what the Bible says Romans fifteen four. Everything that was written in the past he's talking about the Bible was written.
Speaker 2: Everything in the Bible is written to teach us.
Speaker 1: The scriptures give us two things, endurance and encouragement. The scriptures give us endurance and encouragement, so we have hope. If you are not in this book on a daily basis, you do not have the endurance nor the encouragement you need to get through what you're going through. Now, let me close with the promise, one of those six thousand promises for those of you who are going through the fire right now, look at this first on the screen.
Speaker 2: James one twelve.
Speaker 1: God will bless you if you don't give up when your faith is tested, He will reward you with the crown of life, just as he rewards everyone who loves him. Let's bow our heads. Would you pray this prayer in your heart Jesus Christ. I open my life completely to you. I want to get to know you. I want to learn to love you, learn to trust you. I want to grow my faith. Jesus Christ. I need you to help me get through what I'm going through. If you've never asked Jesus to do this, say Jesus Christ, please.
Speaker 2: Save me today, be my savior and Lord.
Speaker 1: I don't understand it all, but I am saying yes to you today. If you are already you've made that commitment to say, Jesus Christ, help me to take these steps.
Speaker 2: To remember.
Speaker 1: The good that you can bring out of my problem, To refuse to give in to the fear, to rejoice no matter what I'm going through, To recruit people in my small group to pray for me to relax and rest and trust in you, to rely on your promises, and to reaffirm my faith. If you're not in a small group, say Lord, I want to get in a group that I might learn this material and learn to love you and others.
Speaker 2: We pray this in Jesus name. Amen,