Speaker 1: Unsolved Mysteries.
Speaker 2: Tonight's unsolved mystery is made in that land of many mysteries, India, where squalorant wealth side by side all the head and bends the neat oft strange gods. India, where every bazaar, every temple, every compound has its fakir or holy man, a sort of privileged beggar whom white men and black alike fear more.
Speaker 1: Than they admit.
Speaker 3: Some students at sixteen.
Speaker 2: The scene is the United Services Club in Simla. Officers in their stiffly started tropical mess dress sit around the veranda, cooling off under a waving punker, while barefooted native servants carry trays of glasses which resound to the musical and appetizing tinkle of tubes of ice.
Speaker 1: To Colonel, I'll say this for India, you certainly know how to make yourself comfortable. We have to, Bucklin. If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to stick it out in the heart Sedn'. But tell me, Bucklay, what exactly did you mean when you said I'll say this or indoe nothing in particular, Colonel. Of course, you fellows don't realize it, so you're always prefacing a remark or following it with but this is India. Well, well, I mean it's all right, the stuff folks back home with all the time it wrought about India's low, in India's mystery, and it couldn't happen any place else for India, but alf for all you know, and they just hear just ordinary human beings, no different from any place else. Listen, Bucklyn, you'll be out here exact four months now. You will at otherwise, never cercinated, never laugh at his fears, never ridicule his ideas, and above all, don't try to show your superiority by trying to expose one of their Sakias. You actually mean, colonel, that you believe in their superstitious bunk Lesson, Buckling, I like you pull your chair over this way a little and I'll tell you something. A good number of years ago I was promoted to captain. I had three months three even England. I was young, very proud of my captain's trips. I fell in love with every pretty girl I saw back home. Well, I fell hard for a school day sweetheart. We were married, and doroth and Is sale on the piano had a marvelous trip, landed a Bombay, and I found orders waiting for me to proceed on duty of Bangalore. I war lau sing my bear and told him to get everything ready, caught the train and just at dust we pulled up at my quarters. Rejingish Captain chaid cheerio lelsing low sing. Here's the new men's side. The heavent is holed, and this, darling is what we call the living room. And in there behind the bead captain in the combination's smoking room, then library, card room and general for to get together place books, books and more books.
Speaker 4: I'm going to spend hours in there when you're own music. Oh, in the complete stead of kipling is.
Speaker 1: And anything you want it isn't there? Why just ask for why, Dorothy? What's wrong?
Speaker 4: But Georgia, I'm straight sending came over me what I don't know? It seems as if someone you're trying to compel me to do something, I'd go cold all over afraid.
Speaker 1: Look, George, is that out there.
Speaker 4: On the counpound in front of that clump of camerist.
Speaker 1: Well, oh oh the old fact. Yeah, he hangs around here quite a bit.
Speaker 4: Calm send him away. She's doing this to me, I know, he is.
Speaker 1: Oh, my dear, your time.
Speaker 4: Please George, send him away. I can't spend him, you can't see him.
Speaker 1: But Dorothy, I can't do that. I can't send him a wall.
Speaker 4: Why can't you? Why can't you tell someone to get off your own ground?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a little bit hard to understand, Dorothy a stranger here, but one doesn't order facias to do anything. It's well, the natives will be afraid that it might concurse. I'm the natives dislife. You can offer that and my fear of him, My dear, listen to reasons. Weare in India now. I'm not jolly old England, you know, but we must do things that acording to the.
Speaker 4: Country and telling it dirty, smelly nakey to get off your own properties against the custom of the country.
Speaker 1: Is it by job? Yes? You know it really isn't done, don't you see? Yes, sir? Oh, yes, sir? Oh too bad? Oh, yes, of course. As soon as I can slip into service dogs bye, yes, so right, Oh, I won't bother to change. Oh tub it down with a touch of fever. I'd have to say, guard dude it tonight, sing yes short and service cap.
Speaker 4: Oh George, I don't want to be left alone.
Speaker 1: Oh no, my dearest low sing and I met in the compound, and the best in the water carry a sleeps all night on the rain. Oh she didn't have to go. It's got to help out when the chap goes down with severa don't you know? Fie in my turn someday? Oh jo, goodbye, let me see.
Speaker 4: Oh here's kiplings at the end of the passage.
Speaker 1: That ought to be a good test for nerves.
Speaker 4: Time, yes, lessin. Oh you is that here?
Speaker 1: What do you want out? You know?
Speaker 4: I come into this room.
Speaker 1: The membership does not like Wilder Sam.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I don't I don't want you nares now go, I'll call using.
Speaker 1: Seeing a simple child. He would not dare enter the room while I sa beg is busy. Will you please go? And the memsibe is given to be the thing which I desire.
Speaker 4: What do you want? I'll give you anything to get you out of here.
Speaker 1: Some beg one solidly. One stand of the memside hair, No.
Speaker 4: More one stands my hair.
Speaker 1: Who as for the members, I would not understand. It is for a charm, a charm for my nephew who is in the ill country and very sick.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll give you a stand my hair.
Speaker 2: God brand the memsibe is very kind older I tam will not forget.
Speaker 4: I wait on the I'm not being kind. I'm doing it to get rid of your spicuous idea. Stand my hair. I'd like to make a fool of him and his charms. And I can't do Chinese rug. It's made of hairs almost the identical color of mine. I get a stand. Yes, here's your standing here all.
Speaker 1: The sun, Thank you the men, time, and now for the present. Goodbye, Thank goodness.
Speaker 4: He's gone. I wonder where Nelson can be. I didn't if you just tuck here out of the bungalow nel.
Speaker 1: Sing no answer?
Speaker 4: What can have happened?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Sing now, sing where are you? Something's wrong? I know it is? Well?
Speaker 4: Sing what you're going around?
Speaker 1: Turning black?
Speaker 4: The clock is biling happy then spinning so fast makes me dizzy?
Speaker 1: Disney mm hmm, how about thing? Not it? Dothy? Where are you?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Good God? She's say you're allow thing helping and lift her onto widow coach side that easy way.
Speaker 4: What happens?
Speaker 1: Oh George, tell me if you can, what happened?
Speaker 3: Why did you come back?
Speaker 1: That thing ran down to the backs for me when he saw the facia come out of the randa.
Speaker 4: Why didn't this change of me?
Speaker 1: He couldn't raise his handycakes of fact here, my dear, but never mind. Tell me what happened, Teck, you came in here.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't leave till I gave him his chand in my hair.
Speaker 1: You gave him one.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't have food him. I gave him as trent And that Chinese rug in the other room.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a cop, darling, that's sticking on your feet.
Speaker 4: What could he want with this tand in my hair?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but this I do know. When I lay hand on.
Speaker 4: Hand about the natives idea, you can't even touch a sacre, you know, can't I?
Speaker 1: Who? Just wait and see what I can. That's it's all right, my dear. Something in the back group held down.
Speaker 3: But I know it isn't a life.
Speaker 4: I've got that horrible feeling again. Look at a passage, something moving rising, two things.
Speaker 1: I got my gun out. Don't paint when I saw Tell me you didn't touch it, but I know I hit it. Good.
Speaker 5: Joy is starting out on the veranda it's a Chinese run right to the misquito curtain that cast it by me nothing, I'm funny jelly. That isn't Okay's is on the ground, just in front of a timbers rising on the ground.
Speaker 1: Chose the love.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: It's impossible, No, my dear, not impossible, not impossible. It is a Chinese rug shibe two bullet holes in it. He shaved him Sive's life. Yes, love the Chinese rug, and it saved more than a memsived life. Well, that is an amazing Sorry that major happened to Dorothy and me. We never talk of it, but you see, old Jep I never sneered it native beliefs. But Colonel, you didn't finish our story. What do you mean? What about the part here? Did you horse hi him? I didn't have to.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, next morning lau Thing came and got me. We went out into compound and they're right in front of that camp of camerisk wrapped in the tangling phold of the Chinese rug. Bad the old Sakir dead.
Speaker 2: Out of deference to people who are still alive, character names in these unsolved mysteries have been changed inasmuch as any solution must of necessity be supposition. Liberties of time, place, and character exist in the solution that will be presented after you've heard from your a sponsors, ladies and gentlemen, the solution for what you have been waiting.
Speaker 1: But tell me, colonel, didn't you ever try to find out how such a thing could be possible? You understand, of course that workers in black magic, whether they be in Hiti Ethic or a India, believe it's something personal. The strand of hair, fingernail clipping, and such light are an essentially breed into the formula. They're black art and your wife Dorothy, and taking the strand of hair from the Chinese rug and giving that to the park here, but then his powers from controlling her exactly, all the concentration, all the pent up sority, the hatred and diabolical cunning, at the factia what leveled at the object most totally connected with that strand of hair. I can understand that, and I can understand, since you say it so, that Sapaskia might have unharmed Dorothy, who is a living being. But that such power could really affect a thing like a rug is something else again, scientists are divided in their opinion as to how such things are possible. But here let me show you a brief quotation from the Encyclopedia Britannica. Physical phenomena can be grouped under two main hits telican nieces or the movement of objects at a distance other than by ordinary physical means and tell it pleas me or the extrusion from the body of the medium of a substance, sometimes amorphous, sometimes resembling portions of the human body, or even complete figures. Phenomena of both these kinds have long been familiar, and end the quotation, then telicnesis the movement of an object is recognized by scientists as being possible, decidedly so. And I can assure you that if you'll live in India long enough, you will see more than one demonstration of the power of concentrated mind over purely inanimate matter. Thank you, colonel but Rat for hearing your story. I really don't believe that I want to