Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Gays Mornings with Me Jeff Grub your host from giant bomb dot com, which is this episode's brought to you by ms I. Thank you for tuning. In this episode, we're going to be talking about the best selling games of July and what is possibly Nintendo's best switch to upgrade yet. It's gonna be a good one because we have Matt Piscatella on the show. Matt, how are you doing? Okay? Hey, Jeff, do you know what time it is?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: What time is?
Speaker 2: It's it's business time. Yeah, business is video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unfortunately the business is still video games. So it's let's see what that means for all of us. Love to have you back on the show. It's always like a real great chance to be like, oh, you know, we be and the community in the chat, we'll like throw out ideas about what we think is happening. There's a chance occasionally you might know what's happening, and it's always good to get that insight. So looking forward to talking to you about everything that's happened. You did put out the Circana Report earlier this morning. Of course, what we'll lead off with that, but I want to ask you, like, how's like gaming been for you recently? I know, I know you got a couple of favorite franchise you always love to check in you playing anything new? How's it going?
Speaker 2: It's going well, MLB. This show is still like my second job in a lot of ways. But other than that, like, we've had so many great smaller games come out this year in particular, it's been a great year for that, so I've been diving into a lot of those and having a good time. But really, like MLB, the show Man, like the engagementclaw has me.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, that's Do you do any of the equivalent of like ultimate team in that game or what do you do? You kind of just go through the seasons?
Speaker 2: No, I do. I'm in their Ultimate Team, own their Diamond Dynasty, playing people twenty years younger than me that are obviously far better at everything gaming than I am in anymore. But I try to hold my own.
Speaker 1: When you're on there, do you ever do the voice chat thing of like ah, yeah, got me and then make a young person feel bad? Which is that meme?
Speaker 2: I've turned off every means of communicating with me via a console device. I don't, I know, No, it's the.
Speaker 1: Only way to live. Yeah, it's absolutely the only way to do any of this is just shut all that stuff down. Honestly, unplug your phone all that stuff for sure. All right, let's explain ourselves and what we do over here. We're Giant Bomb. We make fun stuff, and you can support us by going to giant bomb dot com slash join, support this show, support when we got to the summer game fest and we do our game of the year. Stuff gets you add free shows, gets you some other extra goodies. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piec your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the sh show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with July twenty twenty five US video game market highlights from Matt Piscatelo over at Sircana. Matt, let's jump right into it here. You know, I think we'll just kind of like ask you some questions, Like right off the top here, you know, we're looking at total video games sales up five percent. That's you know, that's for the month, and then down kind of even for the year to date. When you're looking at this stuff and you're making a year over your comparisons, and we're looking at you know, the top selling games of the month, which will fully get into but the top selling game was EA Sports College Football twenty six when when we look at the numbers, is like the quick way to understand this, like EA Sports College Football on the console side of things was massive last year and we're just down slightly from that huge at reintroduction. And then what other color would you add to like what's going on in gaming right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's very interesting month for reasons that I even I wasn't expecting. You know, we did have spending up like five percent, like you said, year to date down slightly. It's about where we expected the market to be at this point, right and you know, you could get We can get into the weeds about why we're seeing all the churn around developers and studios, considering that spending has been relatively flat, we can dig into all that. I think at the top level though, consumer spending is okay. The winners are winning bigger and we continue to have more and more games being introduced, meaning the average game is selling a little bit less. But from a top line perspective, consumer demand has been holding relatively well. There are a couple of areas that are performing better than others, particularly the non mobile subscription space. Think like Game Pass, Nintendo Switch Online, PS plus World of Warcraft, Star Wars. The Old Republic even has had a little bit of a surge. But in July, you know, the big surprise to me at least was free Fire on the mobile side. Yeah, we partner with our friends over at Censor Tower who provide the mobile outlook for us, and what they saw in July was a seven percent increase in mobile spending, which is incredible because mobile is the biggest segment in content. What mobile does drives the overall content number, and free Fire in particular had a great July. They did some partnerships that helped them. Yeah, and then we have the Nintendo Switch to continuing to do very well. But that's there's some issues there with the older devices falling off a little bit more than perhaps would have been expected.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the gaming market is a big, convoluted, chaotic mess and the best of times and right now it's not the best of times. But yeah, let's let's dig into all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's dig in. Let's start with with free Fire a little bit at least the mobile space and what I always think of when I look at the you know, mobile charts or whatever, when I glanced at them every couple of months or so, I guess it's usually, Oh, it's it's still the same games.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Free Fire is like a little bit of surprise and that it's kind of been consistently climbing here in the United States. It is, it has I'm assuming it's one of these games it's been around for a long time globally, and it's just kind of warming its way into into US devices in a really impressive way. Is that the story there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been picking up a lot of momentum in recent months. I mean, yeah, like you mentioned, you look at the mobile charts, and it's a lot like the console charts these days. The biggest games continuing to be the biggest games month after month, year after year. It's a problem in the market. It's a very big challenge for anyone trying to bring a new mobile game, or a new console game, or a new PC game to the market. This incredibly crowded marketplace that's dominated by some of the biggest franchises that continue to be there forever. And so when a game breaks through, like a free fire, I mean, it can make a big difference to what we're seeing in the spending.
Speaker 1: When it comes to these top selling games of the month E Sports College Football twenty six and EA Sports MVP MVP Bundle which bundles it up with Matt and I believe those are one in two and that includes both physical and digital. I'm assuming there's digital version of that Sports MVP bundle as well. And the number three was Donkey Kong Bonanza and that's physical only, so pretty impressive. It's able to get up there with like being limited to one system and physical only, and then right behind that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater three plus four rounding out the top ten. A lot of familiar faces as usual. Call of Duty Black Ops six, Minecraft Forts Horizon five Grounded two is the other new game in the chart. It's at number eight. That's an early access release, I'm gonna have a little bit of a lower price, and also it's on Game Pass, so I think that's also pretty impressive for that game. And number nine is Red Dead Redemption two and number ten is Grand Theft Auto five. When's the last time Red Dead Redemption two outsold Grand Theft Auto five? What did it get? An update somewhere? What happened there?
Speaker 2: It's been a minute. So in July we had all of the various summer sales happening across like the PlayStation platform Steam, and it was discounted as much as up to seventy five percent, So that discounting really helped give it a boost and get it back, you know, a little bit higher than Grand Theft Auto five, which, you know twelve years now running that.
Speaker 1: Game is just forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, what are you gonna do but to go to EA Sports College football. You mentioned it earlier about how last year it was such a massive jugger. Now, of course it had been over a decade since we had the last game, and yeah, this year's game did not live up to last year course initial sales, but how could it. I mean, last year's game was so massive. So when you look at the results and you see, you know, we did have growth and content spending, but that was really driven by mobile, right, and the subscription segment console was actually down about nine percent, And the big reason for that was the comparison between this year's and last year's college football games. So, you know, it's still doing great, but last year's game was just it was ridiculous how well it did. I mean, it was the game everyone was talking about whether they're a sports gamer or like an enthusiast gamer, Like, you know, folks watching this are probably more in that camp. But this year, like it's performing as a really well performing sports game, which is great, but I mean it's hard to compete with the phenomenon that was the game last.
Speaker 1: Year, right, And I mean obviously EA's probably was kind of always expecting this, of course, so this is this is probably like falling in line with what they expected the long term for EA Sports college football to be, and I'm sure they're extremely happy with that, which is why in a little bit, we'll be talking about, you know, the return of EA college basketball. Maybe you know they've at least teased that. We'll get into that here in a little bit. So console games spending down, it really EA sports is going to be the huge part. There not much else to read in there, at least with too much noise in that signal. But the hardware side of things, so, yeah, switch to is now the best selling console in terms of units and dollars for the year. So took it a couple months to do that, but that's also expected, especially when we see just how hard the PS five and especially the Xbox series are falling. But both are massive double digits. PS five hardware down forty seven percent, Xbox Series spending down sixty nine percent. Both of these should be before the most recent price hikes for both these consoles, or is that right when the Xbox price hike happened.
Speaker 2: It should include the Xbox hike, not so much the PlayStation hike yet, so we'll see the impact of that on the longer term. Yeah, switch tow is done amazing. It's still the fastest selling console after two months all time. It's slightly ahead of the PlayStation four now of course different times of the year that these two devices launched, So on a comp basis, switch To is still ahead. It's seventy five percent ahead of the pace of the original Nintendo Switch, so it's doing phenomenally well. Exceeded two million units sold, so it's still very much in its infancy. And so a game like Donkey Kong Bonanza, like you mentioned, physical only being third overall phenomenal result, that result likely very likely does not change even if you did include the digital just because the scale of EA Sports College Football is so much bigger with a far bigger installed base to sell to, but doesn't take anything away from the success of Donkey Kong Bonanza or Mariurt World or any of the other games really we're seeing perform on Switch To phenomenal start. But again the question is going to be you know, of course that day one enthusiast Nintendo fan in particular is going to be there early. Are the family is going to come in and buy during the holiday in an environment where costs and things like grocery, insurance and housing are climbing rather rapidly and people are really kind of feeling the pinch in these prices. Another everyday spending categories, and of course all of the other chaos we have in the market overall. Right now, that's that's going to be the real test.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's like, you know, when it comes to consumer spending, we continue to be surprised overall at how resilient it's been. It's been weirdly resilient. In some cases. That does feel like it's got to break at some point. And it's you know, I guess, why would we assume it would be this holiday with a switch to but why would we assume it's going to escape by unscathed by all these reasons people might want to start saving money, right? Is that a fair feeling?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And if you look at some of the other metrics about what's happening with the consumer, increase credit card debt, people leaning more on their things like four to oh one k is just to pay for every day things like groceries, the younger consumer really leaning into buy now, pay later programs, like they're really leaning into those. There's a lot of signs of strain and stress on the consumer. And hey, maybe maybe it's fine. Maybe people will go, you know what, I need to have something to bring me joy so I'm going to sacrifice other areas to buy video game stuff. But when you look at things like what's happening with subscription spending and the growth we're seeing there, there could be something about video game consumers looking for value, trying to find ways to extend their dollar, leaning more into things like free to play and the subscription services, maybe pulling back a little bit on premium spending. We'll have to see. Right now, though, the switch to his launch is kind of booing the entire console market, and you know, if we didn't have that, it would be a much less rosy picture right now, particularly on the console side. It's yeah, like things are going well, but there are signs that, you know, of some concern and we'll have to see how it goes over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think last time we had you on, we were talking about the sort of the arch, the arch that the UH or the arc that PlayStation five and Xbox series were following. They are on the other side of the tippy top dizenith of their bell curve. That's normal. But then I think we also talked about maybe the rate of decline was a little bit more than we were expecting. It did seem to like kind of bounce around a little bit between now and then, but this number does kind of go back to oh geez, and now we're also getting price increases right alongside these things, whether it was this month or the following month, so it's like no reason to assume it's gonna get better. And then of course the next phrase is well until Grand Theft Auto six is is that like does that feel like the kind of thing that is that explains a lot of these things where it's like, sure, it's down now because people are winning for Grand Theft Auto six and prices are going up because the companies know once Grand Theft Auto six is here, if they'll get a lot of those people who are waiting on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: It could I mean, you need something to really drive the folks that haven't bought into the current generation to buy in, you know, if they haven't already invested there waiting for that thing to come along that will get them to make that investment in Grand Theft Auto six. Could certainly be that thing, but it is a question of momentum. Like we have a cyclical market in the console space. It's been that way forever. This cycle has been particularly wild because of course it's started in the middle of the pandemic, with all the supply shortages early on. Trying to benchmark this generation off of prior generations is a is a disaster just because of the way the curves have worked in terms of the demand. And now we have these price increases happening very late in the cycle that we've never seen before, and so we're gonna have to see what the impact of that is. But yeah, I mean, the the hope is that you know, Grand Theft Auto six does revitalize and get people back into buying these systems. I mean they're not doing I mean, the PlayStation five in particular, still ahead of the PlayStation four on a momentum basis life to date, still doing phenomenally well, still doing great worldwide, but the tail, uh, maybe a little shorter than one would expect, especially considering uh, these potential price increases. But you know, forecasting the gaming market's always the most difficult category that we track, and right now it's even more difficult. It's not quite dartboard territory, right, but the dart boards on the wall kind of thing, right, We'll see, Well, sometimes it's more accurate than than the human beings can be just occasionally just okay, yeah, sure, down whatever, great, let's do let's roll with that. Yeah, it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I know, I think that you know, and we'll talk about that here in a couple of stories. Is wh when we get to a need for speeds future in regards to criterion getting renamed or getting rebranded a little bit where it's where I think, you know that inability to predict or or like what game is going to work and what won't it explains a lot of this the decisions that these companies are making. Like I said, we'll get into that here in a moment. Let's continue to go through what we have here in front of us though. So, yeah, the PS five xbox hardware down a lot, We'll see. You know, you're right cyclical, we are, I guess getting clos ish to like when we could start talking about next gen systems. Maybe that makes these companies more comfortable. Maybe they're already looking so far ahead that to that that they're like, hey, we want to establish a good price space now for when we have to introduce those things that even higher prices. And that's a big part of what they're probably thinking a little bit as well as just hey, things are expensive. We want to make sure we can get every dollar that we can. But I how interested are these companies in selling consoles, because all of the sort of circumstantial evidence surrounding it makes it sound like, you know, that's not their primary concern. I think we know that's the case with Xbox at this point, but what does it seem like it's kind of I'm getting that sense off a PlayStation.
Speaker 2: As well, so I think there's a lot of things there. Of course, people want to sell the boxes. I think what we're seeing in terms of consumer behavior, particularly among younger audiences, is a desire to have their content they want to play available on whatever device they want to play it on. And for younger audiences more and more that's going to be mobile PC type devices that they already have access to. So with that play behavior change, we're seeing people really trying to expand the reach of their content. Now. Xbox, of course invested heavily early in cloud that hasn't really developed in the US market, although it has developed more in areas like South Korea and Brazil and other territories that could continue to evolve, they're going to be leaning on that quite a bit more as they diversify their hardware reach around, you know, their OEM strategy with things like the Asis rog, Xbox ally or whatever it's called. I think I got that right, of course, but yeah, PlayStations, yeah, PlayStations also diversifying where it's putting its content because you know, the name of the game is reaching as many people as possible, and right now that's not necessarily through the box, although the box remains the best way to play and the way that the enthusiast audience most likes to play. So it's not going to go anywhere. But in terms of trying to grow an audience that let's be honest, hit a peek in twenty twenty one, because of course it did, and we no longer have that organic audience growth that we had for decades because everyone who wanted to play games for as long as they wanted to play them and did so in twenty twenty one. So now it's an audience share game. It's grabbing audience grabbing hours would before it was let's just grow the audience. So it's it's been a pretty massive mind shift away from a growth mindset to a share mindset, and I think that's one of the reasons why we're seeing so much diversification around portfolio strategies. It's a fascinating time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think maybe the other thing there is when they look around to like what the next growth opportunity could be, it's not and they're not seeing the obvious answer for what that would mean for the console business, right.
Speaker 2: Right, And I mean you look at what's going on with things like roadblocks in Fortnite and Minecraft and to reach those massive not even games anymore, they're their own ecosystems. The reach they have, I mean, the competition to grab audience from those monstrosities, it's it's a it's a significant challenge. And so you have to be where the players are, and right now, the players are on all types of devices at all types of times.
Speaker 1: Some other things here when to ask you about let's see here we talked about these games a little bit, but Donkey Kong Bonanza's physical sales were high enough to place it. Third, do you have a sense of how that compares to other like launch window games or you know, first six month games on let's say PlayStation five or anything else or the switch one like, how does this compare to ratchet and clank? If you have that off the top of your head.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, Nintendo First Party game is published on Nintendo hardware, are always going to have a higher attach right, I mean a higher percentage of people who buy the hardware are going to buy the Nintendo First Party game then on Sony or Microsoft devices for example, because on those on those devices it's the big sports games, it's the big shooters that tend to have more audience pull, whereas on Nintendo, I mean, people still buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. You've mentioned that, I don't know how many times. So those those attached they're always going to be higher. And so you know, when you look at something like World, which of course is closer to one hundred percent than not, Banans is not there, but it's it's pretty darn good in terms of the percentage of folks that are buying it. So they they just do a phenomenal job of connecting with their audience with their content, and you know, people get people have gotten mad at me before for saying that Nintendo's their own thing. Yep, but Nintendo's their own thing. Like they do things differently and it's worked out really well for them, and other folks have tried to copy that strategy in it. It just hasn't worked so well because the audiences are different.
Speaker 1: And that's fine, yep, exactly. Yeah, And it like that doesn't mean I think these company should even stop trying to like figure out what their Nintendo like strategy would be. But it doing it exactly like Nintendo's just not going to work. Tony Ook's pro Skater three plus four was number four. Any idea how that compares to one plus two? Is it kind of like maintaining that momentum at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it has been tained the momentum, and in fact, it was a top four bestseller across PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, and PC. So this was a game that had pretty wide appeal. We'll have to see how long the legs are. These games tend to be like these more nostalgia driven games, not that it's you know, I'm not saying it's not a modern game. I'm not saying that modern people can't love it.
Speaker 1: It's old shit, it is, I get it.
Speaker 2: So like these games tend to do really well launch and we'll have to see how the legs are over time. But what a great start, and you'd have to believe that they look at these results and go, okay, like what else can we do here? There is an audience that very much wants this type of content. Of course, skates on the way later this year, so you know, we're having a little bit of a skateboard revival, which is cool. But yeah, really great start, Really great to see it have wide ranging appeal on all the platforms, so you can't ask for much more than that.
Speaker 1: And then the last thing, it's popping on the top of my head here. The accessory spending fell eight percent. I would assume a big part of that is a lot of people bought second controllers to play college football with their buddies last year. Does that sound right or what do you think is happening here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a bit of that. But the game pad spending is still down. We had a pretty significant dip in remote play devices like the PlayStation portal. Oh sure, off year on year because it was a much you know, it was a much newer, hotter product a year ago, and because of the hardware declines we're seeing on PlayStation and Xbox. You know that that tends to correlate to change it there, and you know, the Nintendo switch to Pro controller is has done a phenomenal job. Over thirty percent of people who have a switch to have a pro controller, which is pretty remarkable when you think about the audience, right, this isn't an audience that you would assume would would be there with a more expensive controller day one, but they sure have been. And that's been the best selling accessory in both units and dollars this year, So that's doing a lot of heavy lifting kind of holding up that market. Yeah, we're looking at a down accessories market right now, especially from particularly from the performance of game pads and headsets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really seems like Nintendo's strategy theyre raising the prices on all the accessories, keeping the prices the same on the switch to is worked out for them.
Speaker 2: It has worked out. We haven't seen a significant negative impact of those changes yet. We'll see what happens with going forward.
Speaker 1: Right people. I mean, I'll speak for myself. When I'm looking at buying something, I look at the price of the thing. I don't really often look at the knock on purchases, and then once I have the thing, It's like, well, I do need that and that, and the price is sort of like, what's not as big as the big, big purchase I just made. So I'm just gonna go get this thing. That's how I do it. So I bet that's kind of what Nintendo was hoping for here.
Speaker 2: Well, and you have a price insensitive early adopter audience, needing that the people who buy early don't really care how much cost, they just need to have it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: But just like with the switch to hardware, the real test will come in holiday. How many families, how many gifts of switch to consoles or accessories or even software, how much of that will come into the holiday because that's where you know the whole thing is made or broken.
Speaker 1: So we'll see, And you know, I get the sense Nintendo well aware of this, definitely knows this, and that's what you know. If we get this rumored direct in September, it'll be all about explaining the story of why now is an urgent time to get a switch to So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, day one showed up big time. The question is like, how do you move from the enthusiast audience to the mass market. That's like that's always the biggest challenge with the console, and this time it's it's it has additional challenges that prior generations and devices didn't excellent.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we have plenty of more to get into, but we should take a quick break here from our MSI sponsor. If you want to skip out on these, you go to giant bomb dot com Last Joint become a premium member. You can get the ad free version of the show. Will be right back after this jam. My computer sick. I've decided it's time to start building a new one. I just don't know where to start. Grub.
Speaker 3: If your computer is SICKI pooh, you gotta start with MSI, which just drops something big in its brand new Z eight ninety and B eight sixty Intel motherboards.
Speaker 1: Are those the motherboards that unlock the power of the Intel Core Ultra series two CPUs.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, these MOBOs, as we're calling them on the streets are powerhouses for gaming, streaming and whatever intense tasks you need to throw at them.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but Jane, you know me, I'm scared of tools. That's screwdrivers so sharp.
Speaker 3: It's okay, Bud, MSI made them jeffproof meb Dan proof as well, which means they're easy to work with. No more wrestling with tighty little screws or confusing manuals. We're talking easy dbug Ellie that tell you exactly what's going on. Tooliss installs for your M two.
Speaker 1: Drives and jipoos or GPUs. We're calling them jipoos two now, okay, hell yeah, oh okay yeah. MSI has that modern bios as well that looks like it was actually made for humans to use, not some relic from two thousand and three. Give me more of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right. It's going to be so easy to get secure boots on the ground. It's like PC building on easymode grub. And here's the best part. Giant BombCast listeners. MSI is giving you ten percent off these new regularly priced Z eight ninety and B eight sixty boards. Just head over to usdashstore dot MSI dot com and use promo code BombCast at checkout boom instant savings.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm gonna stack that discount. They allow you to do that with MSIs got ongoing promotions. That's potentially going to score me up to one hundred and twenty dollars in Steam codes. It's basically free games just for upgrading. Everyone listening should do the same. So if you're ready to upgrade your setup, do not wait. Visit us dashstore dot MSI dot com and use the code BombCast bom c a st all in lowercase and give your PC the upgrade it deserves MSI making PC building less of a headache and a lot more fun. Mobo. All right, we are back. It's Game Mess Mornings. That's miss map Piscatella. I'm Jeff Grub. Let's get back into the headlines here with Kirby and the Forgotten Land Nintendo switch to Edition plus Starcross World. That's the full name. Reviews are in for it, and it's apparently that name is not hurting it. It's doing a ninety on Open Critic with seven reviews. That's no you know, early in the review process, who knows how many reviews something like this actually ends up getting. But it's switched to so things like this are pretty exciting, But ninety on seven reviews still very impressive. Nine out of ten from PJ O'Reilly at Nintendo Life, who says Kirby and the Forgotten Land Nintendo switch To Edition plus Starcross world gives you the base Forgotten Land experience at a delicious sixty frames per second, with a whole big bunch of new content thrown in for good measure. The twelve remixed areas that make up the DLC are uniformly delightful, The new transformations are excellent, and there's even new challenges for hardcore Kirby fans to get stuck into or to get sucked into. One of the best games on Switch and one of my favorite three D platformers in years, Polished to a sparkly sheen and packing some meaningful new content, that's a very easy recommendation and a truly excellent addition to the Switch two's early lineup. I got a ten out of ten from Christa Hogue at CG Magazine, who said it is the best paid upgrade yet for the Switch to and a worthy addition to one of the Switch's finest platforms. And then it got an eight out of ten from Bobby Passion. Dealis Yeah, Pachial Dyllis at Console Creatures. Kirby and the Forgotten Land Antenna Switch To Edition plus Starcross Worlds should not be missed. Not only does it upgrade the base game for the Switch to which is one of the best Kirby games already, but it also adds a fun and out of this world expansion filled with fun powers and tons of Kirby charm. I'm I'm excited about this one. I was a huge Kirby in the Forgotten Land fan. Matt, Uh, how about you? Is this something you're interested in? And then how have these you know, up these paid up grades been doing for the Switch. As far as you can tell, Kirby is a menace. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: The most powerful character and video games.
Speaker 1: I mean it's also true.
Speaker 2: He uh he scares me in a lot of ways. But I kind of like it now. I've been a big Kirby guy for for a very long time. I played this game. I was off put by the frame right, so I'm excited to get the sixty frames. I am a sixty frames a gooner. Anything six thirty I can't play. Uh, so I'm really looking forward to it. And these reviews are great, So that's cool. Yeah, the the the paid up grades have done pretty well. Actually, of course, it's very early and it's been on a couple of games and there's so many different ways to access them.
Speaker 1: In fact, I was having.
Speaker 2: A conversation yesterday with some folks who, you know, business e folks who who aren't really into gaming at all, haven't played anything really since the NES trying to explain how people upgrade.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that that sounds very fun.
Speaker 2: I was like, so you could do it this way, or you could do it this way, or you could and they were just looking at me like, what the hell is what is this business? And I'm like, you know what, You're right this business as well. Yeah, but yeah, it's pretty well so far. Of course, you know, there's a lot of consternation from some folks about the different practices around things like forsy cards and all that. But so far, so good. I'm looking forward to this one, looking forward to see how it does, being a little bit later than the initial early releases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, at least with Nintendo games, they do put all theirs on the cards. So far. I don't think they've had not for Ney their big games anyhow, the game card situations, so they've been able to avoid that for their stuff. You know, I guess real quick on that, like when you look at your data, did you notice something there, like, is is this something that we talk about on shows like this and on forums and on social media, And it's not really filtering filtering into the data, or do game card game key cards like hold any game sales back in any noticeable way.
Speaker 2: I think the sample is probably too small to have any really wild takeaways. And we're seeing, you know, some games underperforms, some do pretty well, But it's so early that I think the jury is still out on it. I mean, the it's not good when your most enthusiastic customers are are or a segment of them or this unhappy about something like that's generally not a good thing. But you know, we'll have to see people like to play what they want to play, and they'll do what they have to do to play it for the most part, but you generally want your customers happier and satisfied. So yeah, early days, we're gonna keep watching it. I think for some games it may have had an impact, but it's kind of hard to strip out the impact of one particular thing when it comes to a game's performance, whether that's review scores or social conversation or things like the medium it's delivered on. It's really hard to parse out the individual drivers. So yeah, it's a jury still out.
Speaker 1: We're gonna keep moving here. Need for Speed future is in doubt. Its future, that's not the name of a game. Need for Speed's future is in doubt as Criterion has been rebranded to a Battlefield studio. This is from Hayley Williams at GameSpot in case you needed any more confirmation that Criterion is now all in on Battlefield. The Burnout creator and longtime Need for Speed Custodian is now officially branded as a Battlefield studio, as in it like the team is now called Criterion Colon a Battlefield studio, leaving the future of the Need for Speed franchise in question, and as spotted by The Gamer, a user for the Need for Speed for subreddit excuse Me spotted criterions new official subtitle on EA's website, where a Battlefield studio now appears under the usual studio logo. So, Matt, when I was mentioning this earlier, it's like, this just feels like part and parcel with what like a trend that's been going on for a while now, and you kind of opened up with it earlier on where it's like, hey, yeah, the the overall spending number looking pretty hot the or at least at least fine. And when we like look at how that, you know segments out the big games are still huge, and some of them are bigger than ever and selling better than ever. It is the games in the in the in between that continue, like the money is coming from them. That's why why these games are bigger than ever. It's because fewer people are spending or they're spending less money on these games somewhere in between the tiny things over here, the indie games and the biggest games, and that's why, like Burnout was never we're way past. Is Burnout gonna come back? Like Criterion is not going to go back to Burnout, but maybe Need for Speed they can keep doing that because those games tend to sell. And now they're like, actually, your time and your efforts are better spent working on a big shooter than even Need for Speed. And this feels like, oh, that's just you. Okay, we went from Burnout to Need for Speed and now Need for Speed to a battlefield. To me, it's like I could just see that direct line of what is happening here of these companies just think every second spent working on this bigger game is going to get them a bigger return. Is that what's happening?
Speaker 2: And this is what keeps me up at night as a video game fan. Yeah, when a franchise like Need for Speed, you know, is in question, that's that's kind of shocking. Right. If you would have told someone this fifteen years ago, they would have said no way.
Speaker 1: I mean even like five years ago, it seems like such a resilient series where it just keep like they kept making them and they kept doing all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just when you look at the play stats, it's it's kind of shocking. Like I've shared these a few times out there. Our player Engagement Tracker, we you know, track what people people are doing on their consoles. What we find in our data is just shy of eight out of every ten people that turn on their PlayStation or Xbox every month will play at least one of the top ten live service games, whether that's Holy Minecraft or Rowblocks or whatever. And the top ten live service games alone, just taking out all of the other ones, just the top ten account for just shy of half of all hours spent on the consoles. So these games these these biggest live service games are taking all of the hours and dollars from the market. And because we still have growth in the number of games coming out, you know, the rest of the games have a smaller and smaller share of the pie they're chasing, which is why we're seeing the crunch around developers and studios that we are the pie is getting smaller, although the top line numbers dang really relatively same. So when you're when you're a big publisher, you have to try to get into that even though the risk level is so high. The risk is so high, and we see it over and over again with the games that are failing, like your concre Is is the most primary example. But this is this is the market, this is where people are, and it's exceptionally you have to go over that space even though the risk factors is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you said it. I mean it's obvious. Like these companies like look around and they look at that data of where people are spending their time, and they look at the data of where people are spending their money. You know, Like the way people are thinking about games is changing. They're not thinking about the next new release, They're going to get they're thinking about the next new event or user generated content that they're going to play in the game they're already playing, and so we need to have one of these platforms, and like otherwise we're gonna have to start making our stuff inside of those platforms. We're gonna have to make our stuff for Fortnite or make our stuff for Minecraft, and that is like those companies that control those platforms will be able to dictate terms in a huge way. That is very scary. So we have to get out ahead of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you look at all of the big third party IP holders, the Disneys of the world, for example, where are they putting their content. They're putting it in Fortnite, They're putting it in Roadblocks. Roadblocks wants to take ten percent of all gaming spend, like that's their goal, and they have IP partnership programs in place to try to attract more IP into those those ecosystems. So yeah, like it's absolutely changing now this audience, Like the folks here watching this, they're like, what are you talking about double? Like I played Expedition thirty three. That game was a huge hit. Yes, it's a hit for a game of its scale, and it's done phenomenally well, no question about I'm not saying that it hasn't, but the number of games that can break out is quite small, and the number of games that are in that competitive pool continue to increase, So it's that's even becoming harder and harder. So it's not really easy to say, hey, like the service market is a disaster zone, and you know ninety nine percent of games are going to fail, so you should make more double a size games. It's not quite that simple, although it sure would be cool if it were, because, like you said, a lot of the audience isn't thinking about what's next. They're thinking about just, hey, I have some time to game. There's Fortnite. I'm just going to click on that. And it's unfortunate that discovery has been very difficult that trying to find new games, that people can't hear about new games online like they used to because of what's happened in the media landscape. Like it's very difficult and tough to try to make a new game these days. So yeah, I get why this is happening, even though there are all kinds of red flags around this approach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think that just speaks to these companies really are like lost for any other way to go, the fact that they keep hitting this brick wall, but they feel like, I got to get on the other side of this brick wall. I gotta because ground and everything else is avoid Yeah.
Speaker 2: You look, it's like like you're in Vegas, man, and you're at the craps table, and you know, you had a bunch of money and now you're down of it. You're like, well, like I gotta keep going, I guess, because what else are we gonna do? And it's that's that's scary that that's what keeps me up at night when it comes to the gaming market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's just the timing on of it. Timing on is like such a it's evilly poetic that it's like games are getting easier than ever to make, and that's been a trend for a long time. But it's easier today than it was yesterday, and it will be easier tomorrow than it is today, and so we are getting more games than ever and it just is that's eating away. At the other side of that, the the spending is not growing commiserate with that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and you look at like some of the conversation around there like well, AI is gonna help because it's gonna be able to make let people make games faster, And I'm like, making games faster isn't the problem. The problem is the number of games we have coming out and an audience that isn't growing, Like it's only going to cause more problems having games come out even more frequently than they are now. It's it's completely backwards the conversation around getting games out faster and cheaper. That's the quantity of games in the market is not the problem.
Speaker 1: Right, We're talking about is AI is going to be able to help create more content and things to put in the game. And it's like when we just we look at it as one big blob, there is more content than any human being could possibly play in fifty thousand years, Like, so what are we talking about? Really? What we're if you're looking for the problem to like to spark a new fire, it's new ideas and you're not going to get that from AI.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's new ideas. Discovery is so hard now trying to get your game notice, even if you get ninety review scores, Like trying to get your smaller game, notice is nearly impossible unless you get absolutely lucky some something happens or some magic in terms of what happens on on social or somewhere, it gets picked up somewhere. But like trying to break through, like Hurdling just came out, Yeah, phenomenally rated game, who knows, like who's talked about it very Like you see a couple of people posting about it. You look at oh, sort of the Stars just came out, right, and they just did layoffs because that game didn't really break through even though that's been highly rated, right, So to discovery is the problem the number of games, sure as hell, and the problem.
Speaker 1: And that and that's like there's a perfect comparison to the alternative there of the Sky, the game from the other people that made Journey Genova Chen His game is a free to play mobile thing and apparently has tons and tons and tons of players, But it's not my thing. So I'm more excited about sort of the Sea. And it's like, oh, yeah, but that's just not where the business is at right now. It's it's a cautionary tiling, and yeah, it keeps me up as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's just it's anyways. It's a shame. But yeah, the number of games coming out is not the problem. But you know they're gonna do it anyway.
Speaker 1: So I'll see. I get all these companies like thinking that, like, well, we need to get our games out faster because when the longer it takes, the more expensive it gets. That's all they're that's as far as they're thinking about it. If they were to look at it on it just a slightly more macro level, it's like, Okay, that's not an answer. It's a way to save some money right now. But if you're gonna do the thing that you think everyone else is gonna do, you're gonna have to continue to spend more time and money to make your game stand apart from everyone else's. So you're still gonna need all those people you just fired back to actually set your game apart. And I'm looking forward to you realizing that in two years and in the meantime, you're gonna have a game that, look that is just not going to stand out compared to everyone else's.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, man, if you have Coke, PEPSI, Doctor Pepper, and seven up on the soda shelf, the way to compete in that market isn't to come out with two thousand others, so it try to throw months, you know what I mean. Like it's a bad analogy, but it kind of works. Like it's how do you break through? How do you provide a really quality product and communicate it to the audience? And right now the conversations like I don't know, let's just throw more products out there? What the hell? Well that's that's just gonna make everything worse, man, But you know, what the hell do I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also like at a certain point, does this industry just turn into one of those that has it's four or five. I mean it's happening, obviously, the four or five it's happening. But it's like, my in my heart, it was like always thinking this industry, the one thing that's consistent is it always changes. Something new comes along and disrupts everything. But that's not a true that's not true because it's true. It was true because it had happened up until this point. There's no reason it has to keep happening that way. Right, these things could really solidify in a permanent way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bring a game out ten years ago, your biggest competition at the other new games launching in your window now. No matter when you bring out a game, your biggest competitions for an I, Minecraft roadblocks like it's a different world. It's not the way it was ten years ago, fifteen years ago. It's an absolutely different world.
Speaker 1: All right. Let's so let's get to these next couple of stories. Atari is re releasing some of Ubisaft's best and forgotten games. This is from Darren bonf Use at GameSpot. When you think Ubisoft, you usually think about its ten pole franchises like Assassin's Creed in Rainbow six Siege, but the company has also released several great small scale games across PC, console, and mobile. Some of these ips have been dormant for years, but Atari has inked a new deal to acquire five Ubisoft classics and bring them to modern platforms. As part of the deal, Atari has purchased the IP for Cold Fear, I Am Alive, Grow Home, Grow Up, and Child of Eden. These were all one off games, save for Grow Home and Grow Up, which are related to one another, published by Ubisoft and developed by numerous teams, but in terms of console releases, most of them remain locked to Xbox three sixty and PS three maybe with the occasional PS four port or something like that. Millions of players have experienced these worlds over the years, and this will open the door for longtime players to revisit those memories while inviting new audiences to discover them for the first time. Ubisoft VP of Business of New Business Deborah Papernik said in a press Atari has a rich gaming legacy and deep appreciate appreciation for these classic titles, and we're excited to see how they'll evolve and connect with players in fresh and meaningful ways. What is the business like for kind of plucking some games out from like the Xbox three sixty era and reintroducing them today. I mean, we talk about young people aren't necessarily buying a ton of games or even consoles, so it's not necessarily about like really introducing this to whole new audiences. It's probably people who maybe missed out on these things and giving them an opportunity to act on these Now. Is this a trend do you expect to see more of? Do you think it makes sense for Atari? What do you think this is a weird one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: My thoughts immediately go to how it's highly unusual for companies to sell off IP. Like usually, no matter the size of the IP, you sit on it because IP is the most valuable asset, even though you don't think it's worth much now, it could be in the future, and there's no reason to sell it if you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to. So conversations like that, yes, recently, I'm yeah, it's for sure, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's why why now? Why these IP Why are you selling them? What's the driver of that?
Speaker 1: It's got to come? Do you think it's got to relate back and circle back to you know? Ubi Soft has this new spinoff you be Soft, funded by ten Cent with that is focused on three games, uh A far Cry, Rainbow six, and Assassin's Creed And so anything not in that Holy Trinity is is getting reassessed and they're looking for any way to like make some money from it, and this led them here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even then, like you don't see IP like that's just not something you do now Atari they they buy I P that's kind of their their jam, right, So this is right up their alley and what they do. But I look at this and go, huh, that's interesting. So I don't know, like the individual games I think aren't as interesting a story as the strategic shift of now we're now we're selling I p okay interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean this is this is a UBI soft that just a couple of years ago made that Werewolf within movie, a movie based on a VR game that they made years and years ago. It's a very good movie apparently. I've not seen it, but people love it apparently. But this is like they were trading on their IP even to that degree. So yes, selling it off is very strange. It could just be like a weird anomaly. If we see this again, I will be like, Okay, what is happening here? What is going on?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Like you know, they're doing all their restructuring, they're splitting teams out and everything else. Okay, you know they're making a lot of decisions about their future. Is this is this a one off? Or are we like in clearance mode?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The implications of either of those things happening are different and meaningful, So we'll see, all right.
Speaker 1: The new EA college basketball game is nowhere near released. This is from Eddie McCoo at game Spot when eatased in June that it was bringing back its popular college basketball franchise. Some wondered where they might actually get something to play or win. I should say, as it turns out, it's not going to be anytime soon, which is not much of a surprise. EA Sports executive Sean O'Brien told USA Today that EA is up for the challenge of building a new college basketball game. Currently, the company is quote in the process of trying to figure out how that could come together, and Sean O'Brien explains why that is challenging by saying he hopes for the new game to include every D one men's and women's basketball team, and he admitted getting this done is a quote daunting task. O'Brien said the success of relaunching the college football series helped pave the way for bringing back college basketball. Obviously, we felt that we really captured lightning in a bottle with college football. I think we would love to try to do the same thing for college basketball. O'Brien said, there was a time where we got like multiple college basketball games in a year. We're far removed from that much to This is the thing that has turned me into a boomer Matt of things used to be better, Things used to be better when we got multiple sports games from different companies every year. That's just better than what we have now. You're never gonna change my mind on that, but whatever, this is the world we live in. Clearly that they just drew a line from. Can we try to replicate what happened with college football in any other way? This does feel like one that should work as long as EA can actually make a basketball game, something they've not been able to do in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell you about a little game called MLB Power Pros two thousand and eight on the Nintendo week damn it, or the Bigs bring back the baseball. Yeah, but yeah, I mean you'd assume this would be a great opportunity. I would love to see them be able to do it. Some competition in the sports space right now, in particular, would not be the worst thing for consumers in my opinion. Right now, we are very siloed and do just a handful of franchises, and so it would be great. I think two K probably wouldn't agree with me on that one when it comes to the basketball market, but whatever, But yeah, I wish them the best. I hope this comes out great. I hope it provides an their opportunity to deliver some numbers like college football does. That would be that would be amazing for fans and for the market.
Speaker 1: And you know that they did figure out the football situation and being able to get teams and players. So they've built this infrastructure and at a certain point, I bet running that is its own cost, and you can probably offset that a little bit by replica repeating that process now with other sports.
Speaker 2: Oh man, the people working in licensing on these on these games in particular, like hats.
Speaker 1: Off, Like, yes, that's a job. Yeah, so hard.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like we did Lego dimensions when I was at Warner Brothers back in the day, our licensing group that got things like Back to the Future and all these other things into it. Like I just remember how their hair was falling out. I can only imagine what it would be for something like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, this has got very challenging, all right. It is now easier than ever to refund PS five games. The story has been going around like it's a different it's different in method, not necessarily in you know, the how you know forgiving they are that's pretty much the same. But let's go through it. The refund process is now much more automated. If you go to the PlayStation store, click on the three dots in the top right corner, select the option that reads transaction history. You could select one of your purchase purchases and choose the request refund option. This will automatically consider your refund if you do what has always been the case on PlayStation, if you have purchased the game within the last fourteen days and you have not booted it up. Actually, if you haven't even you have to have not downloaded it, so it's if it's just sitting in your transaction history. So that hasn't changed. But so how it worked before is apparently it had like a chatbot you had to like convince to let you get a refund. So that's better to not have to deal with that, But it's still not like where it needs to be where you know, on on Steam, it's like you could have played the game for two hours. I think that's been pretty fair. Not a lot of complaints about the way the refund works on Steam. I think Conan will have to eventually get there, probably due to regulation, maybe one day. I don't know, how do you feel about this?
Speaker 2: They absolutely should I mean the Steam process has been beneficial to players and developers. It gives players a chance to try a game out, and it gives developers a chance to sell some games to people that want to try.
Speaker 1: Some games out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why that isn't the case across all platforms is bad. I think it should be implemented across because it would give up. It would give more opportunity to sell. But the worry is always like, oh, no, we're gonna lose money on this.
Speaker 1: Now you're not.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be able to grow your potential audience. But people are stubborn. But yeah, the consumers should have far more options to refund games.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, let's get to these last couple of stories. Here, were we set up to fail? Was a question that they're being asked or they're asking themselves right now at the Candy Crush studio King as they reportedly fear more layoffs to come. This is from Chris Going at VGC. Last month, King cut around two hundred staff as part of Microsoft's sweeping layoffs, which saw games canceled and studios slashed across its game business. It was claimed at the time that some level designers and copywriters were told that their jobs were at risk because they were set to be replaced by the AI tools that they themselves helped to build. Now, a new report by Mobile gamer dot is suggests that morale continues to be low at the company, with some staff taking legal action over their severance packages and allegations that cuts were made with no consideration of staff performance. So, according to the people that have been talked to here are like everyone who got a severance package went to their lawyer, and every lawyer was like, this is illegal, and you probably shouldn't fight it because it's Microsoft. And that is incredibly frustrating to hear that a company is using its weight to get away with something that shouldn't be able to get away with and is violating laws and doing so allegedly. And then as far as the cuts being made with no staff consideration or of performance not taken into consideration, people are alleging once again that they just sorted by who is getting paid the most and then just fired people in order until they got to a name that they recognized and trust and kept that person. That's what's being alleged by these people. Microsoft, I don't think has commented on this as a reminder, Microsoft, the Xbox brand is under the bds A boycott call for their help and for making money off of the ethnic cleansing and gaza and now they're doing this as well. Candy Crush is a weird one, mat because it is a game that just does is going to run on getting more content, just more levels that are like the levels before it. So you could see why they would be wanting to go, let's save money by just doing this in AI. And yet I just feel like they are setting themselves themselves. Microsoft is setting themselves up to fail by not being prepared for a change that might be necessary to keep this game feeling fresh at some point. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this game never has to feel fresh. It can just be the same thing forever and continue to print money for them the way it has been. I don't know, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, so that's one of those games and Soda as well. Yeah, that just throw always on those mobile charts looking at you know, having worked at Activision before looking at the AOP plan, being aggressive doesn't surprise me at all with dealing with that my entire time. Yeah, the you know when you're when you're not hitting your budget. When you're not hitting your sales target, you in order to make the bottom line number, you gotta cut costs. Perhaps allegedly, this is one of the ways they're trying to do it. Yeah, Like AI man such a good tool that you have to force people to use.
Speaker 1: It, right, that's story as well as they are monitoring people's usage of AI and they are demanding one usage from everyone. Everyone has to use AI in some way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, I can still write an email. I don't know about you, but I guess we have the computer's here it for us anyways. Side note, Yeah, you know, when you have targets that are aggressively set, then decisions start getting made that sometimes are questionable at best. I guess I'll leave my comments there.
Speaker 1: That's there last thing here, not gaming news, but I did want to get your opinion on it. K Pop Demon Hunter SEQL officially going ahead at Netflix. Of course they're going to make another one of these things. It's probably it probably is Netflix's most successful thing ever at this point, or at least close to. So this is this is a movie that to the traffics in a lot of familiar tropes of K dramas and Korean animation and brings that over here and it's doing really well. It's caught on in a massive way. What do you think, what are the lessons that maybe gaming could learn from something like k Pop Demon Hunters if anything comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we're seeing not just Netflix, but like studios like Amazon really trying to lean into the video game IP. I mean, we had that whole like trans media movement for a while there, but you know, this is kind of going continue down that road of trying to maximize the value of the IP across all types of avenues. Nintendo is doing it its own way through its films and through theme parks. Everyone else is trying to go through whoever can produce content to try to grow the brand strength. So I think this is just another in a series of this type of expansion of the IP reach to try to maximize the value and return.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if there's.
Speaker 2: Anything particularly new shocking here. I'm not super in tune with what's going on on this one, but it's not surprising to see video game companies really trying to continue to maximize that value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, this is a one that it's just kind of popped up out of nowhere. I heard people talk about it. My kids have now watched it like ten times, Matt, So it's it's God, it's great, and you know what, it's fantastic what I've seen of it. I've kind of watched over their shoulders a bunch of times now and it's it's been pretty entertaining. All Right, we check it out. Yeah, it's it's it's fantastic. I think you'll enjoy it. All right, let's get to the poll question. This is from Monday. Actually, may frame it up here for you all. There we go, This is from Monday. Which nin ninja game are you going to play? Your options were Shanoby Art a Vengeance, Ninja Guiden, Rage Bound, Ninja Guide in four or all of them, and all of them won with forty one percent of the vote. Ninja Guide in four was number two at twenty four percent, but right behind it was Shanoby's Art a Vengeance at twenty three percent, and then n Ninja Gaiden Rage Bound at thirteen percent. I have loved Ninja Gaiden Rage Bound. I beat that game, really enjoyed it. Kind of want to go back to it because there's some other more difficult stuff in there that they put in there to keep the game feeling fresh for a long time. I'm playing Shanoby right now, though, and I've been really enjoying that. That's also excellent game. And I will definitely check out Ninja guid In four when it gets here later this year. Is this is this the year of the Ninja?
Speaker 2: Mat?
Speaker 1: Is that what happened?
Speaker 2: I mean we had the Year of the bow?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, raise the forecast, pump it up. Those are rookie numbers.
Speaker 1: We need more more ninjas. God good, Hey, you know what I think? Ninja five oh got rereleased earlier this year as well.
Speaker 2: Everybody, So there's that, oh man, Lego Ninjago remake.
Speaker 1: Let's do it there. It is that that will actually, that'll get the kids buying games again.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: All right, we got a new pole question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do that, though, Matt, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet and if that's something you even want, and tell them what else you got going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on, I'm on the blue sky at Matt Piscatella with one tea because my mother was drugged up when she popped me out and forgot to put the other tea in need it, that's fine, And then LinkedIn. Don't don't be on LinkedIn, just stop it. But if you are, I'm there because I have to be and so you if you have to be there too, we can be there together. So yeah, and you know I'm on the Giant Bomb community, but I'm incognito. You'll never know who I am. Shot out to the love the Giant Bomb community. Been a member date since day one. Love you guys, love this community in particular, and you know, love you, Jeff, and thank you for everything you guys are doing to build that community here. It's and all the past people too like like this this place means a lot to me and really happy to see you guys thrive.
Speaker 1: That's it's very nice. Matt. Yeah, we love you too. And like we were telling you during the break, the community always asking back on. So we'll definitely continue to make a regular thing of it, get you back on here frequently. Love talking to you. In the meantime. Here is the new pole question. We'll get the results of this tomorrow. Are you going to get Kirby in the Forgotten Land switch to edition. I'm not putting the full name in there. I'm not sure if there's enough characters on the YouTube poll question thing to fit the whole name. Your options are or no, we'll get the results. Four Game mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. Speaking of Giant Bomb, I should go click on this calendar here. All right, I have a meeting. You guys don't need to know about that. I have Blight Club at two pm Eastern today. That's when we're gonna be on next I'm going to be finishing up Jurassic Park Trustpasser. That's right, Antonio Morales? Are you the one that sent me this? I've been I'm playing a packaged up version of this game that actually is meant to run on Windows eleven. So I didn't get a physical version, so I just threw it out my computer computer. The community set this to me instead, and it's fun to have. I actually have the full instruction manual. Now, Matt, this is a hell of a game. Have you seen any of any of this Trust Passer? Were you around the first time when it came out? Were you playing it? Then?
Speaker 2: I have some research to do. And I remember the Sega Genesis version out of JP, but that's about it.
Speaker 1: This is this is one made by what's what chat? What's his name? The guy that made the Xbox Seamus Blackley, his his team, his team before that made this game, which is a physics simulator first person shooter from nineteen ninety eight. Is it Chat And it is bizarre because there's no animation system. They like have these like tree tree system that like each animal gets to decide how it moves on its own on its own, and the animals also have like hunger and anger systems, and you can pick up everything in the world. There was a section where I'm like looking for a key card and I went up to a trailer that they had set up in the park, and when I tried to open the door, the trailer tipped over because of the physics system, and that looked like I broke it, but that was actually part of a jumping puzzle that they had created. It is a weird game, and I'm kind of into it. I'm tuning in, Yes, make it happen, all right, that's Trespasser. Later today, everybody on Blake Club, all right, I think what we're gonna do now is say thank you to Matt Piscatella for hanging out with us and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate and thank you so much for having me on again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we'll make it happen again. Thank you everybody for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.