Speaker 1: In June two thousand, the Austin's enjoyed what was to be their last family holiday. A month after this home video was filmed, three members of the family were dead. On the tenth of July, Claire Austin didn't turn up for her shift as a carer. Her husband, Philip, visited her place of work.
Speaker 2: He'd told them that his wife wouldn't be in that day because she had back trouble. A man apparently at ease with himself and with the world.
Speaker 1: In reality, Claire was lying lifeless in a pool of blood on her kitchen floor, murdered by her own husband. But Philip Austin wasn't finished yet. Later that day, he calmly collected his children from school.
Speaker 3: This isn't a red miss decision. This isn't, you know, a loss of temper. This is a reason decision that a man has made that he's going to murder both.
Speaker 1: Of his children after taking them out for a fish and chip supper.
Speaker 4: He strangled them.
Speaker 5: He killed his entire family, He killed the family that he had created, and he did so in such a call and such a calm way.
Speaker 6: Into are half of my family out of our lives?
Speaker 1: Philip Austin had committed the unthinkable and undoubtedly become one of the world's most evil killers. In the summer of two thousand, the Austin family had disappeared and there was no answer.
Speaker 4: On the home phone.
Speaker 1: This was completely out of character, and as former Detective Inspector Anti Tenant remembers, local people were starting to worry.
Speaker 3: The children had not been at school for a week, and this was during term time and no application had been made to take the children at school. The community itself were a little bit anxious because they hadn't seen the family for a while. In fact, one neighbor had been out to Claire's car and had even taken the measure of marking the tires against the curb to see if the car moved overnight, but it didn't.
Speaker 1: The horrifying truth behind their absence would soon be revealed. On Monday, the seventeenth of July two thousand, the bodies of thirty one year old Claire Austin and her children, Kieran eight and Jade seven were discovered in the family home. The prime suspect was their thirty one year old husband and father, Philip Austin, who was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: The damage that he did was not just limited to the three souls who lost their lives, but has affected everyone, relatives, friends.
Speaker 4: It was a desperate thing to do.
Speaker 1: The quiet suburban street in the Standon's Barn area of Northampton had been the family's home for eight years. They'd appeared to neighbors to be an ordinary family. Now their home was a crime scene.
Speaker 5: When we have a family who appear to be normal from the outside and there is a domestic homicide and the children are killed, there's a tendency to think that these men have just snapped, they have.
Speaker 6: Just lost it.
Speaker 5: But that is not what happens at all. You do not go from being a psychologically healthy individual one day to killing your family the next. These cases, they're not about a loss of control. If anything, they're a way of gaining control.
Speaker 1: This killer's story begins in nineteen sixty nine. Philip Austin was born that Valentine's Day in Northampton.
Speaker 5: His mother worked in a care home. His father was a lorry driver. This was a very traditional, nuclear family and he was an only child.
Speaker 1: Philip's aunt, Mary Taylor, remembers that he was a reserve little boy.
Speaker 7: We always noticed that he was quiet. I mean, if he was with more son, he sort of opened up a bit, but other than that he was always quiet.
Speaker 2: He was one of those boys that alls stood on the sidelines, always watching, never initiating anything.
Speaker 1: After finishing school, Philip Austin went to work in a factory before securing a job in the warehouse for a supermarket chain.
Speaker 2: He was living with his mum and dad while working as a forklift truck driver, and then in nineteen ninety one he met a girl called Claire.
Speaker 4: Golden, twenty one year old.
Speaker 1: Claire's close friend Diane Beale remembers.
Speaker 4: How she loved a night out.
Speaker 8: We used to be on the dance floor dancing together, and everybody who's watched us, and we didn't care.
Speaker 6: She was such fun, she really was.
Speaker 1: On the night in question, Claire was out with another group of friends, but she was keen to tell Diane all about her evening.
Speaker 8: She Vangy the next day and said that she'd met somebody really nice, and she'd been sitting at a bar and he was at the opposite end of the bar and he brought her a rose, and then he took it round to her, and that's how I introduced himself.
Speaker 6: She said he was really nice and she liked him.
Speaker 8: She was going to see him again.
Speaker 2: Claire was about three months younger than he was, and she was different in every way. She was fun, she was gregarious, she was loyal, she was happy about everything. Not someone you would expect to fall for. This introverted night shift forklift truck driver.
Speaker 1: When Claire's mother and stepfather, Carol and Harry, met the new man in her life, he was not what they were expecting.
Speaker 6: He wasn't her type. He was quiet.
Speaker 9: I didn't dislay him anything, you know. I just thought he was a quiet guy that didn't have a lot of interests in none. I couldn't blame me, didn't share sim interested me.
Speaker 1: Twenty two year old Austin's relationship with Claire progressed rapidly.
Speaker 6: Claire very quickly became pregnant after they met.
Speaker 8: Phil moved in while she was pregnant. But she was looking forward to it, and I was happy for her because she seemed happy, said she loved him.
Speaker 1: News that there was going to be a new baby in the family was met with excitement by the prospective grandparents.
Speaker 6: My husband said, so, I'm not old enough to be a grandfather and I'm not going to be married to a grandmother, and we used to laugh about it.
Speaker 1: On the nineteenth of February nineteen ninety two, the family welcomed Kieran Michael Austin into the world.
Speaker 6: Harry and I went up to the hospital to see her and it was just gorgeous.
Speaker 9: I went out and bought a video camera and I remember doing the video, trying to do this professional video. Hello, Hello, it's old Ronnie Quinn.
Speaker 1: Twenty three year old Philip Austin seemed to rise to the responsibility of fatherhood.
Speaker 6: He was very, very hands on. He used to feed him, change his nappy. It was really hands on.
Speaker 1: Whilst the couple began to settle into their roles as parents, it became evident that Austin's mother, Linda had very fixed ideas about how her new grandson should be brought up.
Speaker 7: Linda was going to be the one that was going to be in charge and that was it, you know, and I can understand more. Claire got a bit upset about it. Shall she thought, well, you know, or should she tell me what I can and can't do with more baby sort of him.
Speaker 1: Relationships between Philip Austin and his parents soon soured. Even at little Kieran's christening, his mother couldn't hide her disdain.
Speaker 6: She had a real long face, and not long after that she stopped seeing them and didn't speak to them. They had an argument. She saw up every photo she had of Kieran, and that was it.
Speaker 2: There were one or two attempts at reconciliation, but Austin had made his mind up. He didn't want anything more to do with his parents.
Speaker 5: I think this is perhaps way of Austin isolating his family from outside criticism, because when that's missing, you're not called to account for your behavior.
Speaker 1: When Kieran was just a few months old, Claire felt pregnant again. Jade Carol Austin was born on the twenty second of April nineteen ninety three, just fourteen months after her brother.
Speaker 6: When Jade was born, oh my goodness, and she was just everything. She was so pretty and she was like a little doll.
Speaker 1: Of course, Harlie was ready with his video camera as Kieran met his baby's sister for the first time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, after I had come along, Well, I can say, very happy family. That's what I thought anyway, And.
Speaker 1: To make their new family even more complete. Just three months after Jade's arrival, on the seventeenth of July, Claire and Philip Austin were married.
Speaker 6: Here was a lovely little wedding, the earliest small one.
Speaker 9: I did all the video work. That was a good deal and enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Whilst Claire's family and friends turned up in their droves to congratulate the happy couple.
Speaker 4: Austin had only two guests.
Speaker 7: We weren't invited to the wedding, so none of the family were because in the end Philip cut herself off from everybody.
Speaker 2: His half of the church was almost deserted, whereas hers was absolutely packed. If ever, there was a demonstration a perfect example of the strange nature of their relationship.
Speaker 9: This was it.
Speaker 1: The pictures showed the perfect family, but this would soon change. In just over two years, twenty four year old Philip Austin had gone from living at home with his parents to being a husband and father to two children.
Speaker 2: It's the most dramatic change that he's ever encountered in his life.
Speaker 1: As the honeymoon period came to an end, the young families settled in to their new life together.
Speaker 2: At the Outset, when Kieran was born Austin it is best to be the perfect partner, the perfect dad, but as time wore on, he found that more and more difficult to sustain, and by the time Jade arrived, his sense of isolation was beginning to grow.
Speaker 1: Having a toddler and a newborn was all consuming, and the doting grandparents began to have some concerns about the way Austin was with his young son.
Speaker 9: He was too rough with him, you know, you would have him ling and pat them on the chest and stuff too hard though. There's too much roughness in it for me, and often Kieran would end up crying, you.
Speaker 3: Know, even when he was playing with Kieran. When you look at some of the family videos, even in play, he could be quite heavy handed and you raise a few eyebrows.
Speaker 1: The family began to see other things in Austin's behavior that concerned them.
Speaker 9: After a time, he started doing strange things, like he bought golf clubs, but we didn't play golf. And he bought some weight for weight training, we never used them.
Speaker 6: He brought himself a pair of trainers over one hundred pounds twenty years more ago. That was a lot of money.
Speaker 1: By contrast, Claire was a saver. All was squirreling away money so that they could afford something nice. It caused arguments between the couple.
Speaker 6: If she did find out that would be it, he'd grab his bag and off he'd go with a few bits and pieces, and she wouldn't see or hear from him for three or four days. He'd often ring the police and say he's got missing, and they'd find him and bring him back. That's how he got the nickname Gulliver because he'd score off on his travels, so she'd bring me and say, oh, Gulliver's gone off again. He'd come back, knowing that she would have him back because she didn't want a children to grow up in a single parent family home.
Speaker 1: As the years went on, Claire learned to deal with Austin's occasional absences. Kieran and Jade grew to be great friends as well as siblings.
Speaker 6: Kieran was her protector, let fight different things, like all brothers and sisters do. But no, he loved her.
Speaker 9: Really did Karen. He was grown kid. Good questions, Oh darn. He'd ask you a question and you'd try and answer it, and you were giving them an answer, but halfway through the answer he had another one. That's just what he was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 9: Fust curiosity about everything.
Speaker 8: Jade she was very quiet, quite shy. She had a most amazing smile that lit up her face, and she used to blush and go read a lot when he spoke to her, and she had a little giggle.
Speaker 1: When the children started going to school, Claire found she had time to focus on other things.
Speaker 3: Claire got a job, she was able to buy her own car, she had her own income so she wasn't reliant on Philip all the time for money. She had her own social life, all of those sorts of things. I think, in some respects that started to threaten Austin.
Speaker 5: Family was the one area of his life that he could dominate, and that's where his efforts were focused. So the family became like a pressure cooker. It absorbed a lot of stress and a lot of strain, and when you have an individual like Austin, that family can be placed in quite a risky situation.
Speaker 3: Austin wanted to be the controlling force in that family, and I don't mean that in a particularly aggressive or nasty way, but he wanted to be the alpha male in that family, and I think he preferred it when Claire was dependent upon him.
Speaker 1: The veneer of the afect family unit was beginning to wear thin.
Speaker 2: Fatherhood was not his natural position. He wasn't paternal. He tried it out, so to speak, but knew it didn't suit him and he found it very, very difficult to sustain.
Speaker 5: Very often in these situations, it's the children that reveal things. They let things slip, and that kind of sparks suspicion in other family members who go hang on a minute, things aren't quite right here.
Speaker 1: The children began to open up to their grandparents about some worrying incidents with their father.
Speaker 6: At one time, with both of them, we found out that he had been doing something horrible where he'd put his hands on the throat and Jade had told me she said, we don't like it when daddy does that.
Speaker 9: Do we care? And I was horrified. You know there's something he does don't do? Do you know? No even had fun and where the children described it, it was not a joke when he did it.
Speaker 5: This is a really significant warning sign for me because this behavior is very common in domestic abuse situations. It's a way of a perpetrator showing a victim. I could kill you if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: When Claire found out what had been happening, she was extremely upset, especially as she'd witnessed something herself which had given her cause for concern.
Speaker 8: She said that one day he hit care and really hard, hard enough to make him fall in front of Claire. And Claire said to him, if you ever do that again, we're finished. Don't ever touch him like that again, because we won't be together anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm not turn no sumpter. And I took her to a solicitor and I said, Claire, you've got to get rid of him and start again. So you can't live like this. So do you know that Harry and I will look after you.
Speaker 9: I said, you know if you want to come Olivia with the kids. But if she talked around, and she was here for a few days, but then she went back, she went back to him.
Speaker 1: Claire was very clear that this roughness with Kieran had to stop. Philip Austin agreed to go to counseling sessions for help, but that didn't last long.
Speaker 5: This was something that he didn't stick to because I honestly think that he didn't believe he was doing anything wrong. He literally did this to take the pressure off and to make it look like he was changing his behavior.
Speaker 1: Nevertheless, the experience seemed to have had a positive effect on Austin.
Speaker 8: She told me that he was spending a bit more time with Kieran. They were cooking together and going for a walk, Watson playing football, and it seemed to be working and making things easier in the house. And she said, it's getting help, and I think it's working. I think everything's going to be all right.
Speaker 1: Things appeared to have turned a corner. Thirty one year old Austin was making a real effort with the children and had stopped being so frivolous with money. In the summer of two thousands, they went on holiday to Fort a Ventura with Claire's cousin.
Speaker 6: When they came back, we picked them up from the airport.
Speaker 9: They were full of the whole and enjoyed it so much and kept talking about going on another one, and Carol evident said, declay, O, come on, you know you and can't be going another. Holy story. Got plenty of money, got some saved up in the bank.
Speaker 1: The holiday seemed to have done them all the World of Good. Three weeks later, Carol spent the day with and was pleased to hear that things between the couple were going well.
Speaker 6: We used to go shopping on a Thursday and she that day she told me that they were getting on better than had ever done.
Speaker 1: But despite Claire's optimism, the tide was about to turn. On Sunday, the ninth of July two thousands, they were looking forward to a family treat.
Speaker 3: The whole family was supposed to have been going to the cinema, and again Austin was helping Kieran.
Speaker 10: I think it was with some homework.
Speaker 3: He got frustrated with kier and he'd ended up shouting at Kieran and getting angry.
Speaker 9: He had a great card Kieran, and I think he went over the top, so probably Claire had a bit of a Gordon and then he went in the bathroom instead. Most of the.
Speaker 4: Day they missed the film.
Speaker 6: On the Sunday evening, I phoned up see if I'd enjoyed it, and he answered the phone, something he never ever did, and he said Claire was upstairs. He's very quiet, and the way he spoke, I thought there's been an argument. So I just said, I'll tell Claire our phone tomorrow. The rest of the week I kept phoning and all I got was the answer phone.
Speaker 9: We thought, well, you know, they'll maybe trying to patch things up. I remember ringing them on the Weddnesday and I left a message said, come on, Clay or what what are you playing at?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 9: What? What's up?
Speaker 10: Have we upset you? Ah?
Speaker 9: Aren't you're ringing us?
Speaker 6: I didn't start to worry until towards the end of the week and her cousin, who had been on the holiday with called in and I said, have you heard from Claire? And she said why. I said, well, I've been ringing and I can't get an answer. So she said, well, don't tell her that I've told you. But apparently he's playing up again. But she doesn't want you to know because she doesn't want you to worry, which is why we didn't do anymore.
Speaker 1: By Monday, the seventeenth of July two thousand, Kieran and Jade had missed a whole week of school. Concerned by the children's absence, staff tried to contact the Austin family, but their calls went unanswered.
Speaker 6: The phone rang and it was the school secretary. I don't know whether it's mother's intuition, but alarm bells rang, and I just knew it was going to be something bad.
Speaker 9: I suppose I kept dressing they've gone away. They got about they've booked this holiday and gone away, and just said I didn't know anyone, and the heart was down here. I didn't know why.
Speaker 1: Carol and Harry went straight round to the family's home. When they arrived, there was no sign of anybody. Carol started talking to a neighbor, whilst Harry let himself inside using the spare key.
Speaker 4: For a brief second, his spirits lifted.
Speaker 9: All letters and stuff behind the doors were push hard to get it open, and I thought, yeah, that becus they've gone away. Yeah, anywhere I got in the houses, then this was awful to smell. Any I went down the passageway or kitchen. I went into the kitchen, saw clearline and blood everywhere, and she had marks on her wrists. It looked like she near be cut wrists. Because murder, you know, murders not in my mind. So I ran to the front door just as Carl was coming in. I said, Carol, don't come in. Chris done something new.
Speaker 10: Herself.
Speaker 6: His face was just dreadful. I said that she hasn't. I said she wouldn't.
Speaker 10: I just went.
Speaker 6: Straight in and I went into the kitchen and Claire laid on the floor.
Speaker 1: And I just stood there, lying lifeless beside Claire with Dandy, one of the family's pet poodles. As Carol took the scene in her thoughts turned to her grandchildren.
Speaker 6: I said, oh my god, we were those children. And I went straight up the stairs, Harry following me, and there was Kieren laying across his bed.
Speaker 9: Carol stood with Kieren, and I remember showing not Jaed, please not Chaed, and I run entery Jaede's room and shoes lying on the floor, and I remember thinking, he's bustard. How could you leave your daughter lying on the floor.
Speaker 4: Lays children had been strangled.
Speaker 9: You read books, you see things on television. You know what the police needed, The need somewhere that is at least disturbed. So we didn't touch the body. I mean, I wanted to peg up my granddaughter and put on the bed. I wanted to do that more or anything, but I knew there wasn't anything to do.
Speaker 1: Carol and Hardie's world had been shattered. They felt certain that the only person who could possibly be responsible was Austin.
Speaker 6: I know he wasn't there where where was the.
Speaker 1: Former detective inspector and the tenant remembers visiting the family home.
Speaker 3: First everything looked normal, but then we noticed ornaments had been knocked over, and there was a slipper on the stairs, and then in the downstairs toilet right in the corner was one of Claire's ear rings, and then in the hallway there was another one of her earrings. So quite clearly something had happened that had caused that amount of disruption.
Speaker 5: Claire was somebody who had had self defense training, so when Austin did attack her, she put up a really significant fight.
Speaker 1: The evidence showed that there'd been a struggle which started upstairs in the couple's bedroom and ended with Claire's lifeless body in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: The only person absent from the house was in But initially we couldn't just say, well, he's our offender. He could have been kidnapped, it could have been some sort of revenge killing. He could have been out of the country. We just didn't know.
Speaker 1: As the police forensics team began a lengthy examination of the house. Carol and Harry had to break the devastating news to family and friends. Later that night, Diane was woken by the phone ringing.
Speaker 6: It was Carol, and I said, why are you ringing this time of night?
Speaker 8: And she said, I have something horrible to tell you, but I need to tell you now because I don't want you to wake up in the morning and see the news on the telly. So I said, I don't understand. What are you talking about. So she said, Phils killed them all and I said what to me? She said, they're gone.
Speaker 1: The next day, the police continued their investigation.
Speaker 3: There was no other sign at the scene of any ancillary crime if you like, you know, there was no evidence of drugs. There was no evidence of a breaking as an example. So with that, as your other evidence begins to build up, then you began to focus on the only person missing from the house, that being Austin.
Speaker 1: Once the forensics examination of the scene had been completed, the search team was sent in.
Speaker 3: That was when we found the other dog that had been killed and sort of hidden away next to a tumble dryer. And then in the bedroom we found a pile of men's clothing amongst that was a pair of beige cargo pants, and when those were unfolded onto some paper, quite clearly we could see blood spattering.
Speaker 1: The forensic evidence on the cargo pans suggested that the killer had been wearing them when Claire was attacked. Having discovered that Austin's car was missing, the police put out an appeal for any sightings and received a call from a member of the public.
Speaker 3: A car had been part outside a house for about a week, so we had it lifted and taken to a forensic garage where it was again examined right the way through for any evidence that might be connected to the crime scene.
Speaker 1: In the back of the car, investigators found the remains of a McDonald's breakfast, a car magazine with several cars circled, and a carrier bag containing a rubber mallet the sort of.
Speaker 3: Thing you'd use pass for tapping in ten pecks and the like that had got a significant bend halfway down, and the head certainly appeared that it had blood on it, and this became apparent that this well be a weapon that had been used in the attack on Claire.
Speaker 1: It didn't take the police long to discover that Austin had purchased one of the cars he'd circled as a getaway vehicle. The evidence was mounting, and it all pointed in one direction.
Speaker 3: Austin becomes most definitely our suspect. We're not treating him as a potential witness or another victim anymore.
Speaker 10: We definitely think he's our man.
Speaker 1: From witness statements and the evidence they discovered, investigators determined that the murders had taken place on the tenth of July, a week before the bodies were found. This meant that Philip Austin had now been on the run for more than seven days.
Speaker 5: This is a man who has just killed his family, so it's very important that the police track him down because only he knows what he's going to do next. Is it's vital that this person is apprehended.
Speaker 1: Investigators piecing together the evidence had managed to work out some of Austin's movements on that fateful day. Early on Monday, the tenth of July, he'd finished his night shift at the warehouse, returned home, and had then taken the children to school.
Speaker 2: Now, normally he'd have driven home, talked to Claire, gone to bed.
Speaker 3: Not this morning, he books an appointment at a massage parlor in Northampton. He goes for that appointment and he ends up having full sex with the lady that's providing the massage for him. He then starts to head home. He goes into a local dry store near where they live and purchases a robot mallet.
Speaker 5: He buys this mallet because it's something he's planning to use in the murders. And I think this emphasize is how premeditated domestic homicides are. These men don't just snap or lose control. They plan over a long period of time.
Speaker 1: From the evidence they discovered, the police pieced together the moments that led up to Claire's death. Austin had returned home armed with the mallet. He found Claire upstairs.
Speaker 2: A fight starts in the bedroom and it continues down the stairs. Claire goes to the front door and opens it. Austin comes up and slams it so that no one can help her.
Speaker 3: He is trying to strangle her, but Claire actually gets away from him. She overpowers him and pushes him off and runs back through the house. But she ends upon the floor in the kitchen and Austin's on a straight away and then begins a sustained violent attack.
Speaker 1: Austin continued to strangle Claire and beat her with the mallet before stabbing her with such force that the knife broke.
Speaker 3: He then goes back to the kitchen drawer, takes another knife, continues to stabber with that, and then retrieves a bra from the washbasket that's in the kitchen, and again throttles her with that. Any one of those assaults would have been enough to kill her.
Speaker 5: After he's killed his wife, self preservation kicks in, so he changes his clothes. He goes to his wife's workplace, and he tells her colleagues she's not going to be in for a while because she's injured her back. Now, the very fact that he's able to go through with this rather convincing performance does show me how little remorse he has.
Speaker 1: Thirty one year old Philip Austin had subjected his wife, the mother of his children, to a lengthy and brutal attack. Later that day, he killed his son and daughter too. The evidence proved that he'd planned the murders and his getaway in advance. Back in the incident room, investigators had been following the latest information on Austin's whereabouts. Bank records revealed that he'd been using his debit card whilst on a tour of the north of England, visiting the seaside and staying in bed and breakfasts.
Speaker 9: Once you come to the realization of what you've done, probably just give themselves up or kill them kill themselves up, but wouldn't go off on holiday, which is what he did.
Speaker 3: He was a quiet customer, pay his bills on time, might go.
Speaker 10: To the pub for a drink in the evening, but in.
Speaker 3: Effect was keeping quite a low profile and wasn't really raising anybody's alarm bells.
Speaker 1: Despite following up on every lead, the police still hadn't caught up with Austin. However, on the twentieth of July, they had a breakthrough of the public in the Lake district spotted a man in a car acting suspiciously and called the police. An officer responded and found that the man had cut his wrists.
Speaker 3: And in the conversation very early on, when the officer says to him, well Coln, you know who are you, Austin says, well, you'll know me. I'm the man who's killed his wife and family.
Speaker 1: It quickly became apparent that his self inflicted injuries were not serious.
Speaker 5: I think what he's trying to do here is place himself in the role of the victim. Look at me, poor me.
Speaker 1: Austin has flown back down to Northampton to face questioning.
Speaker 3: Potentially still at that time, he could allege somebody else he'd committed the offenses, or he could allege again that, you know, he'd been kidnapped and abandoned up north or he'd got amnesia or anything.
Speaker 10: We didn't know.
Speaker 3: But actually Austin gave us a full account almost from as soon as he turned the tapes on.
Speaker 1: Under police caution. The thirty one year old detailed the attack on his wife, explaining that it started with a row.
Speaker 3: He says that at some point during that argument, the red Miss comes down and he takes a swing adder forgetting that he's got the mallet in his hand, and he catches her on the arm. They then end up having a full blown fight.
Speaker 4: That version of events did not wash with Andy.
Speaker 3: At what point does that red miss stop Because during that assault, particularly once they're in the kitchen, he's making decisions about where he's going to go.
Speaker 10: What he's going to use, what inclement he's going to pick up next.
Speaker 3: That doesn't sound like red Myss to me. That sounds like a man who's intent on murdering his wife.
Speaker 1: The police already knew that Austin had purchased a car before collecting eight year old Kieran and his seven year old sister Jade from Ghoul, but Austin revealed he'd taken the children on a drive lasting seven hours.
Speaker 10: He goes over to the East coast.
Speaker 3: They buy fish and chips, and he buys the children some drinks, but even at that stage, he's lacing their food and their drinks with a herbal sleep agent, and they only really go home when Austin satisfied that they are very sleepy.
Speaker 1: Austin claimed that he returned home having forgotten what he'd done earlier that day. He recounted that he put the children to bed, and later that night Jade woke up.
Speaker 5: He's trying to make out that he had some kind of episode in which he killed his wife and he killed the dogs. And it's only when his daughter asked him for a glass of water and he goes in the kitchen to get that that he sees the bodies and he remembers what he's done, and then that triggers his later behavior, and I think this is an absolute load of nonsense. Austin remembers exact exactly what he's done because he's following through a very carefully constructive plan.
Speaker 3: He says, at that point the only way forward he could see was to kill the children. This isn't a red miss decision. This isn't, you know, a loss of temper. This is a reason decision that a man has made that he's going to murder both of his children.
Speaker 1: Whilst he was retelling these horrific crimes against his own family, Philip Austin showed no sign of emotion or remorse.
Speaker 10: The end of the interview. I recall that the officers.
Speaker 3: Were saying they'd asked him how he felt about what he'd done, and after a moment's thought, Austin said, well, I'm not proud, and that was the sort of most we ever got out of him in terms of how he felt.
Speaker 1: Once in prison, Philip Austin contacted his aunts and uncle for the first time in more than eight years.
Speaker 7: He was allowed to phone somebody up, and the only person he phoned was Roger, my husband, didn't phone his mum and dad wouldn't have nothing to do with him, and we went to see him and asked him, you know, what the hell are you doing? You know, do you realize? And all he was worried about was things in the house that belonged to him, and Roger slammed his fist on the table that was sitting at and he said, You've got more to worry about than the things in the house, and I've just got walked out crying.
Speaker 1: Over the next four months, as the trial drew near, Austin's legal team attempted to put forward a defense of not guilty on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
Speaker 3: The way it was summed up for me was they were trying to get a psychiatrist that would say he was mad and not bad.
Speaker 10: Nobody would, so he went to trial as bad.
Speaker 1: On the twenty second of March two thousand and one, at Northampton Crown Court, Philip Austin changed his plea to guilty. He was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum term of fifteen years. The prosecution felt this was too lenient and appealed.
Speaker 6: David Blunkett, then Home Secretary, increased it to twenty. But that equates if you just count three lives to just over six years her life less than that if you count the two dogs. That's not justice.
Speaker 5: If he would have jumped out of the bushes and killed women who were jogging the park, we would never see this individual out in public again. I think the fact that he killed his family has significantly reduced the length of the sentence that he received. Now for me for the same behavior to be given a different level of sar verity depending on who the victims are is absolutely ludicrous.
Speaker 1: Austin was behind bars, but the impact of his actions had a devastating effect on Claire, Kiren and Jade's family and friends.
Speaker 9: Facing the reality of it and the reality of what your future is going to be like or not like, because you thought your future was going to be this wonderful future with the kids involved and all down the years, you know, and the children there would have and and suddenly it's gone snuffed out like put a candle out.
Speaker 1: In the years since the murders, Carol and Harry have had help from a counselor.
Speaker 6: She was absolutely wonderful, really really wonderful. Taught us how to cope with things how to deal with it, Like if you start to have really bad thoughts, replace them with a happy one. And I always replaced it with seeing Jade and kier and standing at the window waiting to go out with us for a day, and they'd be jumping up and down and running out to the door to and running up the path to us.
Speaker 1: There is the possibility in the near future that Philip Austin may be set free those that new Claire and the children hope they will never see that day.
Speaker 8: He's never said sorry, he's never said why. It doesn't seem to have any remorse of any kind. He's very, very dangerous man.
Speaker 3: I think the level of violence that he used against Claire was completely unwarranted and unnecessary, and he had plenty of opportunity not to kill the children.
Speaker 10: Does that make him evil?
Speaker 9: Yes, here's a monster to be able to do what he'd done and still live with himself calmly. He went on a tour after slaughtering his family. You must have an empty soul, no soul at all, to be in that.
Speaker 1: We may never know the real motivations behind Austin's actions. What is certain is that his claims of a red miss moment cannot possibly be true. His crimes were carefully planned. He purchased a mallard for the sole purpose of murdering his wife, before calmly collecting his children from school, drugging and strangling them, making Philip Austin one of the world's most evil killers.