Speaker 1: Welcome to More Outdoors on News Talk five sixty KLV. This is Chester Moore. If she caught the program. Last week, I was up at Captain Steve Steby's place and we did a really what I think was a fun and informative show about warm water fly fishing, which means most people think of fly fishing up in Montana, but like warm water fisheries, bluegal, crappie, bass, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And I was gonna do.
Speaker 1: A part two of that and kind of switch back to the cold water fisheries, and he started interviewing me. So we're gonna run this interview because it gives you a deep, deep look at me that you normally might not get on this show, especially about the work we do with kids in wildlife. So here's me being interviewed by Captain Steve Stuby.
Speaker 2: And sit back, relax.
Speaker 3: I got a very legendary person sitting across from me wearing a mudfish hat this morning on Rod Chop.
Speaker 2: Mister Chester Moore, I am here. You are here, You're in my zone. You're in my area.
Speaker 1: So I'm in an interesting area here, you know, like you know, I'm I'm I'm used to tuluda Ben of course living in an Orange you know, been up here my whole life. But we're up here in kind of your facility, and we're seeing all these experimental flies, and I Mitch you to get on the water because I have this love for long This long eared sunfish.
Speaker 2: Is really beautiful. I've got them, I got this, and.
Speaker 4: They're right behind us.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna take his three way purple cook ousso some purple purchase pluckers, fly rod, and I'm gonna go out back. I'm probably gonna don't tell Scooby, put one of my crazy little tiny flies on, and I'm gonna go catch the new Lake records.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna, oh that'd be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely well, even way out here at a facility that actually has certified to work from the Parks of Wildlife yeap. And we have a lot of records here, so welcome and come get us another number twenty seven record.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it's gonna have twenty six.
Speaker 4: Just having a great time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll be here for a couple of days and take you out and put you on the gator tail. We'll go we get some flats, yep, and we'll see if we can find some mass today hopefully. Yeah, And I know the brim er out there because the full moon it's just on the backside, so I know they're still in their little potholes doing their little happy thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love it. Okay, so we'll go do that some of that today. Well, Chester, what have you been in here too late? I'd watched you on Instagram and you got the shark thing going on. Kind of open up about that. Just a little bit. That's happening this weekendn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got some crazy stuff going on. So I love sharks and I was a weird kid. I saw Jaws and want to get in the water.
Speaker 2: You know, Ah, you crazy? Yeah, well you know, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Had mister Hooper played by Richard Dreyfuss, who was the researcher the cage, and he had Captain Quinn, who was the old salt in the boat. You know.
Speaker 4: I came out a hybrid between the two somehow.
Speaker 1: But uh, you know, I've been doing great white shark research as a journalist for since at least.
Speaker 2: Still five in the golfing Wow that far back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very early in my career when a friend of mine, Ryan warhola who was a charter captain and I believe he still is.
Speaker 4: Had an encounter with a great white on a charter.
Speaker 1: Trip in the golf of Mexico has have been passed and I wrote an article. I wrote an article about it, and it was for Tide magazine award that year from Texas out there writers. But a lot of people are like, there's no great whites in the Gulf and that's bad, bad, bad bad bah. Well, like six years later, a group called O Search started putting satellite transmitters in great white sharks and when the shark dorsal fin surfaces, it pings to a satellite.
Speaker 2: Okay, only when the surfaces, only the surfaces. Why is that?
Speaker 4: Because of trackers?
Speaker 1: But the satellite tracker like a clear shot, you know, okay, clear that makes sense, you know. And you know, all of a sudden, Panama City, Florida is having great whites show up, and you know, Biloxi, Mississippi. And I said, We're gonna have one pop up and one of these great one of these O Search fish gonna pop.
Speaker 4: Up in Texas.
Speaker 1: And in twenty twenty one, this is a total Chester story. I am in the Sky Islands area of southeastern Arizona photographing the fifth and mysterious member of the subspecies of turkey in America, the gulds turkey for a quest.
Speaker 2: I was doing. I never heard one.
Speaker 4: Yeah in an area.
Speaker 1: There just been a jaguar photographed two weeks earlier on the Mexico line. And uh, come back to the hotel that night, I'm doing some photo editing work and you know, I look on in my email and someone say, hey, did you see the video someone posted of the orcas in the Great and the Golf. I knew there was a pod of orcs or two that had been seeing by research his way out, but you know, it had been years. A charter captain and Galveson had gotten video mini orcas.
Speaker 2: So I like, what do you call a pod? Is that four to five? Or that this was a dozen? A bunch? This was a bunch. Okay, like a lot, a lot of them.
Speaker 4: A whole lot.
Speaker 1: So I found a guy I message in my FUNDI on Facebook say it's chest from war. I'm a text fishing game. I would love to do something for our newsletter about the orca thing. And I embed your video. Thank god, you regular. I grew up reading your stuff please, and I interviewed even at the end of that conversation. At the end of that conversation, he goes, oh, yeah, it's getting crazy out there. Yesterday one of the osearch Great Whites pinged it such and such rig. And when it pinged at the rig, I'm like, oh my god. So I went on the O search app and that night I broke two stories.
Speaker 4: Nobody had the Orca story.
Speaker 2: I got to do that.
Speaker 1: He had posted it on, but I did, like, had an interview with him, and then after that I did this story about this O search great white it pinged about one hundred and twenty miles out of Galveston, pretty far out but Texas waters and which was awesome, you know. But last year, I mean, actually this year, everything changed to a whole dynamic on on Instagram one day and someone posts, hey, man, this app this great white pinged one hundred yards from the beach at South Padrea no.
Speaker 4: Way, and I'm like, what dude.
Speaker 1: So I went on that app and I didn't see it, but I noticed it was a different group called the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy. They have a killer app called shark Tivity, and they tagged sharks in the Cape Cod area in South Carolina on the Atlantic coast. And this great white was tagged in December of twenty twenty three, and it showed up so like December to eighth February twenty sixth. It was from South Carolina and one hundred yards off the beach at South Padre.
Speaker 2: But it had to service in order to get to that such.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is the most surfacing shark in the history of satellite tagging.
Speaker 2: He knows it.
Speaker 1: Her name is Leebeth Okay Lee Beth's a little old girl, fourteen and a half feet, twenty six hundred pounds, oh.
Speaker 2: Just twenty six It is the big deal.
Speaker 1: A hundred yards off the beach, Yeah, and a big, huge shark. And she made her little journey up the coast of Texas, and she made it to Sabine, where I'm from.
Speaker 2: And like in a week or are they staying for a couple of days? She hung? What are they feeding on or what is she trying to? Look?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of mysteries of worth they're eating. They're assuming dolphins and stuff, but also there's been old studies that were eating redfish and sharks and everything else anything.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a great white.
Speaker 2: They can they want.
Speaker 4: Turtles turtles in South text.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the guy Ryan Worehol who saw the White in two thousand and five, and he was like twenty years old out there doing that text me when it pinged off a sabine and goes to think they thought we were crazy twenty years ago. He goes, that was probably ten miles from where I saw the White in two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and five.
Speaker 1: So cool, full circle moment and they observe it. Yeah, really incredible, and he's a very knowledgeable guy. She made her journey around the golf kind of went out around Biloxi, out to around Panama City. Then she went out in the open golf and she went around the straight to Florida, ended up and guess where she is and we're recording this here in the early late summer.
Speaker 4: She's in Nova Scotia.
Speaker 2: She was crazy. Yeah, I mean, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: So we're working on I have a new blog, Golf Great Whites dot Com, and it's all about the great white shark issues in the golf in Mexico, like they're here and great White Shark research. Plus I throw other shark stuff in the golf and they're like cool stuff happens, Like someone catches us fifteen foot tiger shark at the beach or whatever crazy thing happens. I'm in Hammerhead. That's what's kind of going on. Tiger shark would be cool too.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen a tiger whale. No, I've seen one off shore where they're beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. He's on an old rig out there.
Speaker 3: Everybody went to the rail, like you said, one day, Yeah, and we just watched this thing just cruised their reels slowly, just like a well shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whale shark. We've had like panther dots all over it.
Speaker 4: So there's a there's a crazy thing that happens.
Speaker 1: And eighty two, I think it was maybe eighty one eighty two a well shark got in Sabine Link. It must have been sick and it ended up in Sabine Link and it was got on a mud flat okay, and it got a warm welcome. It got shot a bunch of times and killed. There's no reason, yeah, no reason. And they end up having the hault back out to the They ended up having the haul it back out or whatever, you know. But just a crazy little weird this is all the stuff, Scooby that's in my.
Speaker 2: My brain, my little you know, the fascinating man. That's a crazy old wildlife journalists bringing back.
Speaker 1: Then you know, no, and those are the kind of things I remember.
Speaker 2: I couldn't have remembered.
Speaker 4: Any math garbage I learned at the school.
Speaker 1: But I can tell you exactly about that this well shark ended up being late because I think that that's an important.
Speaker 2: Memory, the date and all that.
Speaker 4: That's an important memory.
Speaker 3: So when she did the journey from Padrea all the way back up north, and were we talking a year? We're talking six months?
Speaker 1: Oh no, brother, Well, first off, she was some think about this December eight, twenty twenty three. She's she's in South Carolina, the Atlantic coast. February twenty sixth, she's a South Padre.
Speaker 2: Moving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so February twenty sixth.
Speaker 1: You know, she makes her journey across the gulf, hangs out in the spring and then like she was up I think in Nova Scotia by like June maybe July.
Speaker 2: They swam in every day all day and its amazing.
Speaker 1: So as a shark fan, when we come back on more out doors, the tables remain turned as I get interviewed about sharks and other cool stuff. Welcome back to More Outdoors on News Talk five sixty KLV. I don't forget to catch the show every Friday year from six to seven pm Central Standard Time. You can catch the program also on the iHeartRadio app in all places you listen to podcast. And last week I got the tables turned on me when I was interviewing Captain Steve Stuoby, and he did just pulled a lot of stuff out of me, sending across from the microphone. Things you've never really heard, perspectives on the work we do with kids in wildlife, and some other stuff. And we're gonna air that tonight because I think he kind of nailed me in the interview.
Speaker 2: So check this out.
Speaker 1: Continuing our conversation up at Toledo Band and I got to go. There's a group called the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy. Please download their app shar Activity. Oh Search is another awesome group. They have the.
Speaker 4: Shark Tracker app and both great groups.
Speaker 1: I got to go to a media day in Cape cod at the White Shark Conservations headquarters, which was amazing, And there will be something other media wise I can't talk about.
Speaker 2: You've got a big smile on his face right now. He's holding back on.
Speaker 4: My boys and girls.
Speaker 2: Very soon he's holding out on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that that's just fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I like about that is, you know, you and I could talk about fishing, fly fishing, duck honting, yeah, turkey, honey, everything, and that's fun. But and there'll be a certain amount of people. But when I mentioned great white sharks, the audience opens up people. So it's a great gateway into getting people interested in nature.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not going to tell you more about that. I donim was spoiling with surprises. I know there's some other things going on. It's as a day prespared. Let's get back to fly ship place it a little bit, okay. I know you kind of got your feet in that so many years back and you haven't stopped.
Speaker 2: You've gone how many different states now just fly fishing.
Speaker 4: I think it's eight eight?
Speaker 2: And what all the species? What number of species have you?
Speaker 1: I hit twenty five twenty five two weeks ago from this recording.
Speaker 2: Well, can you give us a hint what some of that would be?
Speaker 4: It was a little rock bass in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I've caught everything from you know, brook trout, rainbow trout, cut west slope cutthroat, yellowstone cutthroat, a cut bow, which is a hybrid. I've caught butterfly, peacock, bass, mayan cichlids, large bass in Florida, redfish, you know, I've caught speckled trouts before, and saltwater you know. I've caught you know, my beloved long ear sunfish, red air sunfish, crappie, white crappie, black coppie, you know. And it's been a fun adventure. And like I tell people, look, I'm a I'm not a bowl in a China closet. I'm a cake buffalo with rabies in a China closet.
Speaker 4: And I somehow managed to still catch fish.
Speaker 1: So it's it's it's not just a pursuit for the dainty and the very skill. It's a pursuit for anyone who wants to go have fun.
Speaker 2: Just go have fun.
Speaker 3: So how many youngsters have you introduced fly fishing too? I know we did some special rods for you for that.
Speaker 2: While yeah, you know, I've done several.
Speaker 1: We've had a couple of expeditions for Guadeloo pay bass out of the Texas Hill Country. Have taken several out there and done fly fishing, but most of our only taking kids fishing and just to put them on fish. So you spinning year, you know, because they did. They're like any level kids. They taking a few and taking them out the beautiful Dwexus River. You know, they're sitting in three feet of water casting and it's you know, you know, it's like.
Speaker 4: Crystal clear water.
Speaker 1: Beautiful areas and stuff like that for our native Guadeloupe bash, you know, and that is fun stuff, you know. And I learned something through uh someone who does h a gun in Chris Johnson was Living Water's fly shop up in the Round Rock. I just so I wish we had trout or native try to Texas be goes we do, and I didn't know that the Rio grand cutthroat was a native to Texas. There there was an old Texas Parks and Wildlife document shows out in the trans Pakos before some mining activities screwed up some streams and stuff. There were Rio grand cutthroat trout native to Texas. You can go to Higher Calling dot net and read my blog search cutthroat and you'll see an article I did call the native trout of Texas, and it was not about speckled trout.
Speaker 4: It was about a true trout.
Speaker 2: And what did you catch that on?
Speaker 4: Like they're no longer there?
Speaker 2: Oh they were native okay?
Speaker 1: And you know, and I think he has wanted to maybe find some places they may still be able to hang and put them back, you know, maybe get a movement to put them back. But we had a native trout of Texas. It's just because of changes done out there, they were gone.
Speaker 2: They're gone, so they're they're extinct now.
Speaker 4: They're not in Texas. There in New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, we can get the breed back that way, there were native trout cut through my mind blowing.
Speaker 1: Another thing that I found out which is mind blowing, I just in general research. You know, the only year long trout stream in Texas is the tail Race Blank Canyon Lake in New bron Files and it's to go out Lupe River the tail Race. It's about ten miles shot, cool enough year around trout can live there. There is a lake in Guadaloupe Mountains National Park on the Texas New Mexico border that before it was public land. Someone owned it and they stocked rainbow and there was a self producing rainbow trout population in a lake in the Guadaloupe Mountain.
Speaker 2: How big is that lake?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but they won't like it fishing.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, crazy, But anyway, that's just one of those crazy Chester facts, you know, stuff.
Speaker 3: Like did you like fish moving water or do you like you prefer lake water, which is steal water, warm water to reach a little cold, you've done both.
Speaker 2: I like it all, you like it all.
Speaker 1: I like it all, but I'm a lot more comfortable in the warm water stuff, okay, and cause you know, let's ait trouter snobs, and every once in a while they get too snobby. I was in the Big Thompson Canyon. We do one of our higer ConA wilife expeditions for kids there. My priority isn't fishing. My priority was taking the kids out. But I had, like every day, I have like an hour or two gap. One day I went out and I went to a spot I know in the Big Thompson Canyon between my favorite place on planet Earth.
Speaker 4: If you want to buy me a cabin, please buy me. I will take a donation as.
Speaker 1: This part it be a sponsorship, Yeah, sponsor me please. That's this park, Colorado, my dream beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Between that's this park and Loveland. The Big Thompson came in one of the most beautiful places in the world. And I know spots got a lot of trout.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 4: I bet I had I fished a hopper dropper combo. I finished it.
Speaker 1: It was a simple It was a it was like an ant pattern midge, a little ant kind of like an ant and it had just a regular little kind.
Speaker 2: Of brown hoppy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I bet I had thirty trout come up and swipe at my at my hopper.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not one would take it. And there's trout and the Big Thompson and that essence park are notoriously snooty. It's considered one of the harder streams to fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I've been there like the year before and me and me and Paul and my buddy Cameron Gorbett.
Speaker 2: We did really good, you know.
Speaker 1: But that day they come up and go no, and they would hit at it. They wouldn't touch the midge, but they wanted that hopper and they would not take it. They would bump it and look at it, and they get swirled by it and they're done. You know, I tried different, you know everything, know, and it just they just keep trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's fun, you know.
Speaker 1: And and it's it's become more of an adventure for me because I can take my fly rod and a little tiny box of flies anywhere in America and I can go, I can go fishing. There you go and that, and I take it in the back of my truck. And it's been exciting and it's a it's also a great conversation started with people because in other than the West, anywhere in the South, unless you're maybe in the Smoky's or somewhere where there's a lot of trout fisheries, Uh, most people have never seen one fly fishing.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And you go out in these ponds and like we doing out here, and I'm like, fly fishing, brother, because a little trout in here. I said, no, But you know what you got, You got a pile of rock bass and I'm about to catch everyone on for all my Well.
Speaker 2: Let's go back on.
Speaker 3: But you mentioned the higher calling. I know you got your own rod series that bun fish bills for you. Let's go into the higher calling.
Speaker 2: What you do for Gibbs. A lot of people don't know what you do on the side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, it's it's it's a very blessed work that you're doing and nobody it's a special person to do that, and that's you.
Speaker 2: So let's open up a little bit about that. Yeah, man, some of your kids your favorite.
Speaker 1: So me and my wife have the legal name of the ministry is Children's Kingdom Ministries, but we have three programs of the ministry. Right our facility is the Kingdoms of Wildlife and that's like where we have animals and stuff animals.
Speaker 2: It is like touch and field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got small collection of animals. It's not open to the public. Our missions to bring the love of Christ to hurting children through wildlife encounters. Hurting children meaning terminal illness, parental sibling loss sadly the last few years a big increased area for us as children who attempted suicide. We have another group that brings sex trafficking victims to US kids and we give them animal encounters.
Speaker 4: And the Lord put that on my heart.
Speaker 1: We put on me at least it's heart twelve years ago to start that and the wish part of our program came when I'm walking down the hallway at church and the Holy Spirit the little girl named Mayeli walked past me, and I knew she just lost her daddy and oh okay, and I had no concept of doing this program. Our ministry has started teaching kids about creation through wildlife, just started like a year earlier. And the Holy Spirit says, ask her a favorite animal, take her to meet it.
Speaker 4: I mean I heard that.
Speaker 1: My spirits start turning around and saying, Alie, baby, what's your favorite animal?
Speaker 4: She goes to Zebra. Okay, do you want to meet one?
Speaker 1: She goes, Is that possible? I said, it will be two months later she got to meet at Zebra. When we come back on More Outdoors, we're gonna talk more about the Wishes program and the impact that's had here in Southeast Texas and beyond. But if you have a kid facing some kind of a special challenge, and whether it's maybe depression or health issue or parental loss or something like that, make sure message me at Chester at Chestermore dot com. That's Chester at chestermore dot com.
Speaker 4: We would love to do something.
Speaker 2: Very very special for them.
Speaker 1: Give once again, email me at Chester at Chestermore dot com. We will continue more of this conversation here on More Outdoors. Welcome back to More Outdoors on News Talk five sixty klv. I Follow my blog at Higher Calling dot net. Follow me at the Chester Morning Instagram. My new blog all about great white sharks, particularly in the Gulf of Mexico at golf great Whites dot com. Please subscribe to that. And we're really excited about tonight's program because it's turning of the tables. I am getting interviewed by Captain Steve Study. Just kind of happened organically in a studio last week and up at his place where we're doing some filming for some fly fishing stuff, and he got some stuff out of me that I've never really talked about in this way, so I thought it'd be a proper thing to talk about here on More Outdoors. And we're continuing that conversation right now. How many years that was our first wish we in Yellowstone. We just granted our two hundred and fiftieth wish.
Speaker 2: Oh congratulations, wow. And this is one kid once a month, one kid.
Speaker 1: Every year, depends on how they come along, like sometimes you know, the light just hit you and here they come.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, yeah, and so five years ago. I was praying.
Speaker 1: It was January third of twenty nineteen, and in my spirit I heard the words higher Calling.
Speaker 2: Fits to me.
Speaker 1: So I wrote it down and I knew immediately there's a scripture talks about the higher Calling and prayer and antercessory prayer. So I know I need to do more praying. But I believe the Lord was leading me to go like like I kept hearing like you need to go deeper. There's more layers, and I was. I kept in praying looking at scripture, and the Lord put on my heart that you know, I'm in the outdoors business. So when I started being a writer of the outdoors and wildlife, if you want to send me a check, I will write a story about coyotes for you. If you want to send me a check about redfish, I'll write a story about catching redfish. I'm in the outdoors business, so I write about what I am paying a right about. And early in my career, the opportunities really developed in the coastal fishing world, and living on the Gulf coast, it was a boom and coastal fishing, so a lot of my income came from coastal fishing, right so I didn't get a chance to pursue some of the other things. The Lord said, go back, and you take your extra time what you would have if you could have chosen what you got paid rite for. And I wrote big runch, cheap mountain streams, mountain goats, elk and coastal flats like bone fishing stuff. That was January third, twenty nineteen, and in five and a half years, which is mind blowing to me, we found it higher calling wildlife. So we took our wild Wishes program instead of like captive animal encounters, we started a part of that where we take kids on expeditions into beautiful places, so they'll spend a day or so with us, just hanging out with us as we're doing wildlife photography. The most beautiful places in America Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, smoking mountains, Everglades and Texas hill country and places, and we take them and teach them to use wildlife photography, which is really easy to do. Everybody's got a phone, okay, and we use real cameras too, but use your phone and to use photography to raise awareness of wildlife. It's something they can get their skin in the game and let people know about wildlife issues and habitat issues by doing a photographer and we've done that and that turned into we've done expeditions, and we just did our fifth expedition in Rocky Mountain National Park and that's It's Park, Colorado we did our first, and Yellowstone National Park we're doing our first in the Smoky Mountains. We've done the Everglades in the Florida Keys and impacted kids all around.
Speaker 4: The nation doing that.
Speaker 1: And what happens, Scooby, is that something terrible happens to a person. Let's say something terrible happens on you know, March to sixteenth of whatever year. Well, in our minds, especially as a kid, life never gets better than March to fifteenth, okay, And there's a cap on what can happen in life, whether that's an abuse event, whether that's a health diagnosis, a loss. We want to be able to take them and show them that good things can still happen and they're still hope because you never know, you know, Scooby. One of the things that really impacted me is when a principal of a school that were a private school we had worked with call me in tears. She's not someone that is in tears a lot when I talk to her that there were two kids that had you know, in a short span that had suicide attempts. And we're talking twelve to thirteen year.
Speaker 2: Olds couldn't never be in their head.
Speaker 1: The highest suicide rate growth in America is twelve to fourteen.
Speaker 2: No way, yep, is that crim cell phones or just being bullied.
Speaker 4: But I'll just say this darkness is growing.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good way easily put that, And.
Speaker 1: It's growing in every capacity. It's easy to get through technology. The people's hearts are getting hardened. There's a lot of things going on. Sexual These weren't abuse cases, these kids weren't, but even you think about sexual abuse in America and children went up two hundred percent eighteen eighty according to statistics.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of darkness.
Speaker 1: And so what we want to do is shine that light of Christ to selfless sacrificial love to kids through a time investing in time, a little bit of time in there, your time of time, and that we love you, we value you. And what we found is that you know, they come through. And I've had parents that do our animal encounterpart that part of what we do, and they pull me aside. That's probably happened ten times over the years, and they think I'm going to charge them.
Speaker 2: What's this going to cost us? I'm like, oh, the trick at the end, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I would shut my ministry down before I charge you. I'll never charge a kid for anything.
Speaker 2: It's just not the way we do it, you know.
Speaker 1: And that gate shuts at our property, and I say, you know what, the public can't get here. No one can pay us unless you have a really rich uncle. I'll bill compare. Okay, always jo, but uh, if you got him, let's invite him. But I said that the public can't come through.
Speaker 2: It's for you. This is for you. If somebody wants to sponsor a kid or something, how do they get the funds to you? Yes? Is there a way to get funds to you to help?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we're we're a five oh one C three you know.
Speaker 1: So we can take tax doctible donations and you can go to the website kingdom zoo dot com.
Speaker 4: Say that again, Kingdom like kingdom.
Speaker 1: Zoo dot com. Or you can go to higher Calling dot net in my blog and see the our youth Conservation Outreach link. There's a link all the information on there. And we are totally supported by private donors. We've been blessed to get grants from the Houston Safari Club Foundation.
Speaker 2: It's helping fund our Colorado trips. The last three years.
Speaker 1: The Coastal Conservation Association funded our Summer of the Shark program. This year we took kids in the shark cage at the text State Aquarium. How awesome is that? And so we're doing all of those things. But that is and what's interesting is the time element. Like I tell people like, man, I uh, you just opened something up here, Scooby, and the way you asked that, and it's good. I'm glad you did this because I don't get to talk about this now.
Speaker 2: I can see the passion and I don't get talking in your body and some of this publicly because it's dear to your heart. I can feel it. It's there.
Speaker 1: So when you have a girl who we met her when she was gonna give her name out, she was nine and I think and she's fourteen years old, and you know she stayed involved with us song Okay, she helping anyone particular kids, stayed involved for about four or five years. She stayed really involved. She was amount of talent, so it was an effort to conquact well. But then she looks at me and Lisa one day and says, you know, I was planning on killing myself five years later or back there.
Speaker 2: It was just but she was nine.
Speaker 4: No, no, she was couple of years later. But she We went and saw her.
Speaker 1: We made a trip to go Man and you guys showed up with your animals to surprise me, and I didn't. Wow.
Speaker 2: It's direction, you know, And so my dad's will have you out there.
Speaker 1: And that that's the ticket because what happens is, look, I'm a very intense person.
Speaker 4: I'm a very.
Speaker 1: Self motivated, you know person, and bro it gets hard for me. Before we've all had those moments. It's a little moment in life where you're like, you know what the rapture the church happens tonight, yay, you know whatever, because you know the world's crazy. They just had those moments. I've never been I'm not an easily depressed person. I've never been suicidal. But even me, as strong as I am emotionally have those moments, and I think about the ones who aren't that strong.
Speaker 2: You think they don't have the family support, or do you think it's technology.
Speaker 4: Or I think people are different too.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: Number one, this was never created. God never created the earth to be like this.
Speaker 1: It's unprecedented. The human spirit and the mind isn't ready for what's here. It's evil. And so when you have this stuff happens for a little bitty kid, you know, it's like, we're just not it's not we're not ready for it. So, you know, so that's kind of I always try to keep it at like the basis of what what I would enjoy as a kid, because I haven't grown up that much. I reject the notion of completely that I have to be a certain way because I'm growing older.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just stupid, I'm gonna you know.
Speaker 1: And it's really interesting from a spiritual perspective because Christ specifically said unless you're humble yourself.
Speaker 2: Like a little child, you're not near the kingdom of habit. So think about that, you know.
Speaker 1: So when people are all like, well, I'm too dignified for this, shut up and get away from me. You know, if you want to write a check, great, we'll take the check. But if you want to be an idiot like that, stay away from me. I'm not going to have fun on me. We don't.
Speaker 2: We want to have a good time.
Speaker 1: We come back on More Outdoors. We get another in depth look at our outreach and what goes on. It makes me tick here on More Outdoors. Welcome back to More Outdoors on News Talk five sixty klv I. This is Chester More and we're wrapping up this really interesting conversation. I've never really had this where I interviewed someone and they start interviewing me, and it turned out so interesting, a different perspective of things you mightn't be interested in about what I do with kids in a while life. We decided to running here on More Outdoors. This is the final part of that fascinating conversation. And that's that's why I've always tried to keep my media stuff as accomplished as I've been able to be blessed to be. And I'll put out of work, you know, the work clup. I know it's unbelievable, but I always try to let people know. Look, man if I'm I'm just a knucklehead from West Orange, taxis man if I can do this, whatever your dream is in life. Whatever your goal is in life, you can do it too. Because I'm no one special at all, just focus and movie and I get to do special things. But I'm not, I mean, I'm one no one, no one to pick me to do this stuff.
Speaker 3: Or the youth that you've been helping as they've got up to be teenagers now or young adults or had their own family shed have they ever got to meet back up again?
Speaker 2: Do you keep track of those people? It's hard, curious. Yeah, we keep track, you know, do the best we can understand, you know, we have a list, you know, and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And then there are kids we can't because besides the Wish program and higher calling, we work with foster group homes a lot. And you can't just keep in touch with all these foster kids because of legal legal h they shut you down that tip. You can't then go there and hang out and visit with them and do stuff like that. But like they'll they'll leave and be in another foster system or a good you know.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: But we have kept up with a lot for sure. Okay, Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, uh.
Speaker 1: I had one, a young young man named Amos when he graduated high school and he was young in the program and he went to help me do a wild wish on one of our expeditions in Colorado. So me and him went to do it for another little boy in Colorado. That call so he got to go help me do that means don't want to help out, And he went to Colorado with me and helped me work with this kid in Colorado.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you have a young adult that's interested in helping as a volunteer, doesn't have a check, is there some way they can help or it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of hard, But we don't volunteer because it's legalities of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a.
Speaker 1: Small core of volunteers that we've vetted for years and we just don't throw our circle any bigger because when you start having like the trafficking victims come, you got to be uber careful of another group brings them, who's around them. And one of the things we don't do, we would never bring another teenager around them because the traffickers sometimes use other kids they worked with to recruit others.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a dark twisted Yeah, I don't think about it because I'm not in the world think about that.
Speaker 1: And we just don't and people will like because one of the things I'm adamant about is that it's people see what we do a lot of times and they think it's about the animals. It has nothing to do with him animals the gateway. Yeah, it's because that's I love that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's all you know.
Speaker 1: So it's sincere. But uh so if you come in and you want to like, I'll put it to you this way. Early on, before we developed the WISH program and even later, we got invited to do a lot of church events and stuff with our animals, and it was a great way to raise funds and also evangelize and we met WISH kids that way. But mainly it was a good fundraiser for us. I just say, whatever you can, you come, bring it to our vacation Bible school. Sure, and I'll be like, just give us an honorary and whatever you feel led to give. And it was a good fundraising mechanism. Uh And when we did more of that and we had more opportunities for people to be seen in public with animals and hang out, we had all kinds of people want to volunteer.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's not what you do.
Speaker 4: But when it got to go into little.
Speaker 1: Girls' hospital rooms and tell them and goodbye when they're dying, that line gets real short.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, you know so uh So I'm like it's kind of like this.
Speaker 1: You know, Perry stone Is the Great Minister said if you can't scrub the toilets at your church, you shouldn't be the past. You know. So if you can't, if you can't, if you don't care enough and want to get involved the level of actually doing the other part, don't really have time for you.
Speaker 4: It complicates it. So we're able.
Speaker 1: We have a small, wonderful little volunteer base that we work with of people and we but we have a lot of wonderful people that financially support us. And then we got people support us by things like animal access. They may have some crazy animal collection or ranch or something and they're like, bring kids. So that's been a huge help. So if you have some kind of exotic ranch, those kind of things, a private fishing facility, reach out to me because that's part of what we do, and that's a huge help. We got one friend to swim some some white tail wrench and Orange County can't tell me kids are right out there and and they're so wonderful to us, just letting spring kids and hang out and feed the psychad deer and watch the access come up and feed their giant feral hog Pappy who's bottle raysed and he's like three hundred pounds. And I'll eat out of your hand, you know. And and and really that's what that's what it's about, you know. And I'm very like I said, I'm very pulled some deep stuff out of I mean, David, Like, I'll just tell people like, no, you're not volunteering. I've never met you, and you're not gonna know I'm not gonna come to the girls. And you're a forty year old guy and you're not gonna come to the girls facility for foster girls tonight. No, you know, hey, I want to come do that? No, no, okay or whatever it is, you know, but we do have people that one way you can help, certainly is access. You know, you might have a cool ranch or no, have a cabin in some place we go like in the Yellowstone area just park or Smoky Mountains, like, hey, we're not there and you could use it for you know, your weekend. All that stuff is a huge and I want to sincerely say something here, whether you have I mean this, don't need one dollar or let a kid come to your place once.
Speaker 4: Thank you because you have helped change lives.
Speaker 1: There are kids alive today because of the generosity of donors and people and kids have heard the love of Jesus Christ because of it, and they have you know, seeing that people love him and got to do stuff. Man. I know we were in Yellowstone, our good buddy Paul Fazenski and Seth guy. We're filming for a documentary we were doing called Hope and Yellowstone and we were filming this documentary and we had four kids we worked with out of Wyoming to the National Big Arm Cheap Center there and to Boyce, Wyoming, great place by the way, you're ever going through that direction, and Seth Cooks, I said, I need some photos.
Speaker 2: I ever get photos of me with kids in the field. So if you can't, just take some stills.
Speaker 4: Too, okay, be good to have.
Speaker 2: He's a good guy.
Speaker 1: And Seth's got this photo. It's my covered photo on Facebook right now if you're on my Facebook, and it's me with two boys ones looking at the picture he had just taken the back of my camera. The other one has a camera in his hand, and we're on a little bluff looking down there's one hundred the kids counted one hundred and thirteen bison below and the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone with two young boys to face some pretty serious stuff in their life. And I'm like, how cool is this? And the cool part is those the best photos they took. I use this company called mpicks, and I sent them eight by tens of their best photos. So they got in the mill a couple of weeks later. And so next year, when we do Yellowstone again, we're gonna work trying to find new kids. But they're invited to come back and connect with us again next year, you know. So those are some of the things you told me when I was a kid. You gotta realize this is this.
Speaker 2: I can't fake. I can't fake anything, man too. I'm too uh. I was in metal bands eight feene years. I can't bs.
Speaker 4: I'm just out there and I love I've loved wildlife.
Speaker 1: Since I was could breathe, you know, whether it's fishing or hunting or watching mutual Lomaha's walking.
Speaker 2: We all did. Jacques Cousta, how we all got started, Jaques.
Speaker 1: Cousteau, Ocean Specials and all that stuff I grew up on. If you told me that one day that I would get to help all their kids feel loved in Yellowstone National Park looking at bison and then an hour later looking at a grizzly half a mile away walking across the stream, I'd have been like, you're crazy, you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: And so I'm just so humble to get to do it. And it's a it's a.
Speaker 1: Very important thing in my family's life. And you know, I tell people like, but this is just thing that needs to be said that people are asking. This is like some people get the idea that we're out there and oh it's great, like you're on vacation, bro, I'm working. I got to make sure those kids have an experience. You know, if it was the Chester of having fun version of oh no, it'd have been a whole different deal. Ye. I'd have been in the Lamar Valley with a camera around my night. But I had a fly rod catching cutthroats, Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: A lot amazing And you know, like I had my wife quit her job eight years ago now, and we don't get a salary, so we took a fifty thousand dollars pay cut the more household to do this because we needed another person. I have a schedule like working for Texas Fishing Game and other things that I work for to do kind of my work on my own time because it's creative work.
Speaker 3: I can I don't know what you do with your time now, You're hard to get a hold of your somewhere everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's insanity. But you know, I guarantee you and lost income, including what I can't do. You can't take that with you worth three hundred and fifty thousand dollars in and believe me, if I had three fifty right now, that would change the entire trajectory of my life.
Speaker 2: So if you'd like to donate a.
Speaker 5: Personal donation of the three fifty k right now, our ranch thirty five thirty five hundred to begin. But in all sincerity, it takes a lot to do, and it's but it's the point is it's worth all of it. That was a good place to stop there. You know, I'm so grateful for the opportunities and everything that we put into this is worth all of it. It's by the grace of God and some wonderful supporters.
Speaker 1: But if you want to connect a kid with our program, email me at Chester at chestermore dot com. It's Chester at Chestermore dot God bless and have a great outdoors weekend