Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot ie board Gosh Energy. Know your power estimated Saniel Biller twenty six hundred and twenty nine your new customers only thirsch ofercentis kentof smart all day electricity unitrates in twenty nine percent of gas. See porcosh Energy dot e E for full teesncies.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, it's the string on the spine of a string pe. What am I doing here? And why am I stronger than navy rope Ali Ward? And finally, finally you can stop looking to see if we have a geology episode, because it's here rocks, rocks, What are they? Where do they come from? And how do you become a person who suddenly has context for everything surrounding you so that you appreciate it. You talked to a geologist. So this ologist is beloved in the science community, and I was introduced to them via Sarah McNaughty of the Twothology Squid episodes and Sarah Ron's Skype a scientist, and this ologist helps write Geology Corner Trivia for Skype of Scientists Trivia Nights. And while I'm here, it is squid Temper, so enjoy the encore of the Squid episode. If you haven't heard it, there's a link in the show notes. But this ologist, this geologist is on their way to a PhD in geology via Oregon State, having studied paleoclimate and glacial geology with an undergrad degree in geology and mathematics at Northland College, which is an Ashland, Wisconsin, Hello Wisconsin, on the south shore of Lakespirior. And they're already listed as an author on published papers such as a Global Database of Marine Isotope Stage five A and five C, marine terraces and Paleo Shoreline Indicators. And you'll know exactly what all of those words mean in a second, just kidding, No, you won't. You'll know why a rock is heavy, though, and that's what we're here for. Okay, But before we get into it, thank you to everyone on Patreon who supports the show. You can join first littlest twenty five cents an episode, and that lets you submit questions to theologists ahead of time. Thank you, patrons. Thanks to everyone who tweets and tiktoks about the show, and to everyone rating and leaving reviews and subscribing, which helps the show so much. And I read every single one, and to prove it, here is the steamy freshie from up Way Too Early who left the review. The information about the natural world is fascinating and the unabashed enthusiasm of the guests is a real treat. Thank you, Thank you up Way too Early for that, and everyone who left reviews this week I read them all. Okay, geology, geo, the Earth, the study of the Earth. So consider this like a one oh one course of what is this big rock that we live on made of? And how can we appreciate gravel, hard rocks, soft rocks, stone skipping, edible stones? How large is a small boulder? How old are diamonds? Where do geodes come from? Why are different rocks different colors? Why you should stare at your countertop? What are the rock punts? Why road trips can take forever? And just wonder at the natural world. With part one of this two parter with your new favorite geologist, Schmitty Thompson.
Speaker 1: My name is.
Speaker 3: Schmitty Thompson and I use they in them pronouns.
Speaker 2: And you are a geologist.
Speaker 3: I am a geologist. I am currently a geologist in training, so hopefully a would you be doctor geologist.
Speaker 2: Soon if you're studying it? You are an ologist, So you are a geologist.
Speaker 3: I am a geologist.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay. I've wanted to do this episode for so so long because rocks are something that I do not understand a thing about. I want you to know that I know nothing about rocks and you know so much. So I guess let's start with since ologists are people who study things, how long have you been a geologist? Because you've liked rocks for I'm going to guess more than one minute.
Speaker 3: Yes I have. I have liked rocks for a very long time. I do remember I met my first geologist when I was going into eighth grade. I went on a canoe trip for a few days in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota, and the trip leader had just graduated with her undergraduate degree in geology, and she's telling us about her what she was studying, and she was showing us all these rocks, and I remember we're packing up our food to go on our trip, and I just looked over at her and I said, I'm going to be a geologist someday. And so it's been sort of a meandering path ever since then.
Speaker 2: So it's been a real rocky road in that it's been full of beautiful wonders. Really, because rocks are cool. What was it about rocks that you thought I'll dedicate my life to that ology.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question. It's just they're so they're so beautiful and they're so interesting. Because you know, when you're walking in a grocery store parking lot. This is the example I always use. You can look down at the rocks in the weird medians there, and if you know how to talk to those and you can read their stories, you know, even similarly, the most mundane rocks ever have the most amazing stories. You can go into the middle of nowhere, like on a long cree a trip or along backpacking trip, and you can see these beautiful, magnificent outcrops and mountains and rivers and everything. You can go drive down the side of the highway and I'm sure you know, many people have been driving and seen a beautiful road cut. Roadcuts are great. If you see someone stop inside of the road, there's a good chance they're geologists looking at the road cut. So just they're so beautiful and getting to learn about the history of our planet and like understanding just how beautiful and like dynamic the Earth is because our planet has been around for four point five billion years and that's an unimaginably long stretch of time, and just so much interesting stuff has happened since then.
Speaker 2: Just by the by an outcrop is any visible exposed bedrock or like a naturally occurring geologic goodness where you're like, WHOA, what's that? And a road cut is when they cut a road and kind of like a piece of cake, you can just drool over the layers.
Speaker 3: And when you do, even if you can't live the outcrop and say, I know exactly what's going on here, getting to sit there and think about, like, what's the story here? How did these rocks get where they were today? Like were they born deep into the earth? Like were they born on a beach? Did a dinosaur walk in this rock? Just the stories that they can tell are amazing, and I think there's also something there that I don't know if I can explain it. I just love rocks.
Speaker 2: I love this kind of love. Let's define a rock. Number one, what's the difference between a boulder, a pebble, a rock, like a geological formation? At what point is something sand and what point is something a rock? Like? What is a fucking rock?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What is a rock? That's a really good question. So a rock is sort of a broad definition for an earth material that has come out of the Earth, that is made of minerals. And so that's a really common question. Is what's the difference between a rock and a mineral? And so a mineral is essentially they're like the ingredients that make up a rock. So a mineral is a chemical compound that has a crystal structure that formed for the most part under natural circumstances. And so, for example, a mineral that a lot of people have heard of is quartz. Quarts is really beautiful mineral. It's really common, and rocks are going to be made up of Sometimes you have a rock made up of just one mineral, Like if you have a big chunk of rock, salt, salt is its mineral name is haylite, and then a lot of other rocks for the most part, are made out of combinations of different minerals. So, for example, if you've ever gone to someone's house or a nice bar and you see that they have a granite countertop, granite is a rock those forms deep under the earth, and the mineral sort of the ingredients or the components that make it up are for example, quartz, you have quartz and granite. You also can get a mineral called feldspar, which is this beautiful little pink mineral that has lots of shiny surfaces. It's made up of a mineral called mica, which has two forms by a tight and muscovite, which are like these beautiful flaky rocks that you can form. So a mineral is sort of they're like the ingredients that make up rocks, and then rocks are just their materials that come out of the earth. So if you, for example, like a rock that you pick up again just off the ground is just going to be just as much of a rock as you know, a cliff you see in a hilltop. Now, words like silt or sand or pebble or boulder can be technical terms to talk about how big the rock is. So if we're talking about the size of a rock, we can split into categories. We have the tiniest sizes of earth materials, but if we're thinking about the size of rocks, you can start all the way up to a boulder, which is a technical term, so rocks above a certain size or boulders.
Speaker 2: Okay, I looked this up. It's a very technical term. A boulder has to be greater than twenty five point six centimeters or ten point one inches in diameter. That is the threshold of when a rock becomes a boulder. So in common usage, though some people define a boulder as one that's too big for one person to move. That's how people classify it. But one time my dad moved a giant person sized boulder out of the road so that other cars wouldn't hit it. And at the time he was seventy years old and on chemo. So I think that metric of who can move what is pretty subjective. There are many non boulders I probably could not move. But yes, a boulder can be gigantic, but at its smallest, the smallest boulder is a little under a foot in diameter. So what's smaller than a boulder, and you can.
Speaker 3: Go down a step to a cobble, which is just maybe the size of like a softball or a football. And then you can get down to a pebble, which just kind of like what he expects like a pebble and an fish tank to be. And then you have sand, and there's all sorts of different sizes of sand, and then you get down to silt, and then you get down to the tiniest particles, which are clay.
Speaker 2: Wait, clay is a type of rock, is it? What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well, that's the hard thing is when you get down to these you know, sand and silts and clay, they're all earth materials, so they're all involved in the way that stuff moves through the earth system. Clay is really fun because clay particles are so tiny that you have to look with a microscope to look at the individual clay particles.
Speaker 2: No, and they just stick together with water. Is that how we mold clay?
Speaker 3: That's how we mold clay. Actually, this is a really fun tip if you want to look like a geologist in front of your friends, is if you're like a river bank or you have some really fine silty clayey material. If you want to figure out whether you're holding silt or clay, what you do is you take a little bit of that really fine powdery stuff and if you're being really casual, you can spit in your hand, or if you're being fancy, you can take some water from a water bottle and mix it the little bit of like dusty material and then try and leave us like, try and paint with it. See if it leaves a streak across your palm. So if it doesn't lea leave a streak, that means it's silt, which means that it's made out of slightly larger particles. And if it does leave a streak, that means it's clay.
Speaker 2: Oh, I never knew that. I never knew that clay was a bunch of little rocks. That's so thrilling. What about like different types of rocks? You know how when you are an absolute nubi And there have been several times I've picked up a rock and been like, this is probably a meteorite, and it absolutely has not been. But things between like sedimentary and igneous. And I know that there are fourth graders that know a lot more about this than me, But what are the types of rock and some of their hallmarks? Would you say for a total rock Newby who.
Speaker 3: Appreciated that is you are excited. That is a great That's all you need to start learning about rocks is excitement. So the three main types of rocks that we have are are we have igneous rocks, sedimentary rocks, and metamorphic rocks. And which kind of rock they are is all dependent on how they formed. And so igneous rocks formed as lava or magma cooled, and so you can sort of break igneous rocks into two categories. You have sort of the classic ones, which are volcanic igeneous rocks. And so these are rocks that when you have you know, for example, like Mount Saint Helens or any of our other volcanoes, you have a volcano erupting, You're getting lava and ash and all this really hot molten rock, lava being erupted out of the volcano. When that lava cools, it forms an igneous rock. Now, actually, these igeaus rocks coming out of volcanoes are one of the most common types of rock we have on the planet. Because if you go down all the way to the ocean floor and look underneath all of our oceans, it's just these huge plates of an igeous rock called the salt.
Speaker 2: Oh, and there's big giant plates. Would they each be one huge boulder.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question, and I think that's something that you need to go to a coffee shop on Sunday morning and debate amongst yourselves. Yeah, So aus rocks form. Volcanic amusrock's form when a volcano or some kind of lava moving up to the up from the middle of the Earth onto the surface of the Earth cools. You can also get what's called a plutonic igneous rock. And so essentially, if you go deep, deep onto the surface of the Earth, you have all of this really hot, squishy rock moving around in what's called the mantle. So the mantle is sort of this really large layer between the center of the Earth and the crust that's on the outside. And so when a blob of the mantle gets really hot and starts to move around, you can get these blobs of magma. So when you have really hot molten rock, the difference between it being called lava or magma is lava is when it's on the surface of the Earth. So it's come out from the inside of the Earth and magmas when it's still inside of the Earth, and so sometimes you get these blobs of magma that's slowly move up through the crust and sometimes they'll erupt and become a volcano, and sometimes they don't quite make it to the surface. They just sit underneath the surface of the Earth and for like hundreds of thousands of millions of years, they cool and as they're cooling, all of that liquid rock has time to grow really large crystals. So again you can go find a granite countertop and you can just put your hand on it and look at all those big crystals, because granite is a plutonic aneas rock, and so any granite countertop that you're gonna be looking at can look at it and think about the fact that that forms deep, deep under the surface of the Earth and cooled over millions of years, over hundreds of thousands to millions of years, to form these big beautiful crystals.
Speaker 2: So igneous rock comes in two main flavors. There's extrusive aka volcanic, and that is a fountain of lava or intrusive or plutonic, and that is an underground cooling blob that cools more slowly, which may be what your counters are made of. But your floor is definitely made up lava. The floor is melting lava.
Speaker 3: The floor is lava.
Speaker 2: Uh. You know what it always gets me is in like home renovation, when people like I'm over my quartz countertops, I'm over my granite countertops, and then they just demo them and then they get a new rock countertop. I'm always like, do we have enough rock for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question. So there's some kinds of rock that we do have a lot of. But I do think it is it is a waste to get rid of any good stone countertop, like you know, you went through the effort to get that out of the earth, Like, why would you demo it? Though I do in one of my undergraduate professors had a when he was showing us different kinds of igneous rocks. He had a little board with different countertop samples on it, and really nice, like clean cut samples of these rocks. So countertops are a great way to see some cool rocks because people like to take you know, really hard durable rocks can be good for countertops, So you can see lots of fun rocks.
Speaker 2: There, okay, So to recap, rocks can be made of different minerals, and minerals can be made of straight up elements or chemical compounds. But a mineral is, according to the US Geological Survey, something with an orderly internal structure in a crystal form. And minerals you may know are quartz, feldtz, bar mica, olivine, and calcite, and amphibole, which when I read it it looks like amphibole, which sounds like some kind of Italian frogman superhero. But to recap of rock is a lump of minerals, sometimes just one mineral, sometimes a bunch of them. Also, not to confuse you, but a lot of quartz countertops aren't naturally occurring slabs. Most of them are about ninety to ninety five percent ground up quartz or silicon dioxide, with about ten percent of it being resin binders. Did you know that? I didn't. So now when you're sitting at your countertop, you won't take it for granted unless it's marble, which is not igneous but first sedimentary.
Speaker 3: My dear Watson, when you're talking about IGAs smart, you can kind of go in a cycle because rocks and earth material on the planet is always cycling, like nothing is ever still or sedentary on the planet. And so when you get rocks that start to break down. For example, if you have a granite cliff, things like rain moving on it and wind blowing on it, and just the weight of the rock face pulling it down is going to start to break up that granite into smaller particles. And so as rocks weather, they start to fall apart and you get the individual crystals in it. For example, the quartz crystals in a granite, they fall apart and they become loose sediment. And so sediment is just any of these it's just any material that's like a loose scathering of like smaller grains of rock that a weathered out of something else.
Speaker 2: I'm totally falling apart.
Speaker 3: And so all of you can go to the beach and you can pick up your you know, really pretty sand that probably started as an igneous rock somewhere teep underneath the earth. And so as you get sediment like clay in silt and sand moving around the surface to the other the earth. It's in our oceans, it's in our rivers, it's in it's sand dunes in the desert. Eventually, sometimes that stuff stays still for a long time or it gets buried, and over time, as water's moving through it and as it's compressing together, loose sediment like sand, silt, or clay is going to harden. Then a fun process called lith fying, and it's going to become a new kind of rock. So that's a sedimentary rock is a rock that formed out of sediments that have been weathered out of other rocks, Like sandstone is a really great sedimentary rock. And then you can also get sedimentary rocks that form out of lots of shells in the ocean. If you're in the ocean, you have big shells, you can have the microscopic shells. When those shells settle to the bottom of the ocean, they will also squeeze together and form a rock called limestone. And so you know, sedimentary rocks are just what happened when loose earth material and the surface of the earth or the oceans compacts together.
Speaker 2: So is it kind of like if you were baking biscuits and there are a bunch of leftover peace and then you made another biscuit out of that biscuit exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great way to put it. So it's sort of it's it's materially recycled through the earth system.
Speaker 2: And then what is cooking it though, Like I know that if I reform that biscuit and I put in the oven, I got a new biscuit. But that lithifying what's hardening it into a whole other rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's gonna be Sometimes you have just pressure over time is gonna meld those grains together. And then oftentimes rocks if you like pick up a again you look at your ground at countertop where you look at a nice for example, a marble countertop, sometimes you look at a rock and you're like, there's no way water can get in that. But even if especially in sedimentary rocks where you have lots of loose spaces between the grains, you can get water moving through it and that's going to depose a little bits of essentially cement in between them. So that's going to hold that together.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't even know what cement is, but I understand it's different from concrete. And I'm like, I need's a whole masonology episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fun. Yeah, So this in this case, cement is just you know, one of the ways that minerals can exist is you can have little bits of the components of minerals dissolved in water. And so sometimes as the water is moving through loose sediment, that's going to deposs a little tiny bits of the mineral in between the loose pieces of sediment, and that's going to weld them together. So it's kind of glue. It's gluing the rock together.
Speaker 2: And then what about metamorphic.
Speaker 3: Yes, metamorphic rocks. So this is where the really this is where the fun stuff comes in. And so a lot of rocks, even if whether they form steep underneath the earth in a volcano or on surface of the Earth, they can get buried again and they can get pushed into the Earth's crust. And so what happens sometimes is when you get a rock that formed either from a volcano or from loose sediment, i e.
Speaker 2: Take an igneous or a sedimentary rock, which you now know what those are. Congrats.
Speaker 3: If it gets put under really intense heat and pressure, then everything in there will get kind of squishy and stuff. It won't melt all the way because if you melt the rock all the way, then it becomes an igneous rock again. But if it just gets really if things get loose in there, then minerals can start to rerange themselves into a new rock. One example of a metamorphic rock is I talked about limestone. Limestone forms the bottom of the ocean when tiny shells gather up in layers over time and stick together. If limestone gets buried deep underneath the surface of the Earth, all of those little grains of calcium carbonate that make up the shells are going to kind of meld together and become more solid, and that's what forms marble. So if you've ever again seen a marble countertop, or like been in a really fancy like a marble statue and a really fancy building that started off its life as shells or some kind of marine creature in the ocean and then got buried and metamorphosed and everything got squishy and rearranged itself and so made it into your countertop.
Speaker 2: So some extrusive volcanic igneous rocks are basalt and pomus and obsidian. And then remember intrusive or plutonic rocks quite literally chill beneath the Earth's surface and thus they cool more slowly, which tends to let crystals form, and granite and doriite and pegamatite are intrusive igneous rocks. Also, did you know that you shouldn't throw rocks in a fire, especially wet ones. Rocks can straight up absorb water and then explode at your face, which is not the relaxing fire pit atmosphere that you were going for. So don't make a fire pit with sandstone or river rocks or pumus because they can sponge up water and then harder rocks like granite and marble and slate plus lava rocks are a better bet, but you should ask a firepit person or the internet first and don't sue me. But some sedimentary rocks are sandstone, shale, limestone. Even coal is the sedimentary rock, which I didn't know it's an organic sedimentary rock because it's made of old dead plants. Coal is a rock, Chalk is a rock. Chalk is a rock, yes, a sedimentary one made up of old shells. So this pot is just chocol block with cocktail party facts. Metamorphic rocks, once again, they get stronger under pressure or high temperatures, but not high enough so that they melt to magma. They just kind of get molded and folded. And some metamorphic rocks are philight shist quartzite. Marble is a metamorphic rock. But marbles, those are not rocks. Those are glass, and glass is cooled heated sand and silica and some other stuff, and it's not a mineral or a rock because glass doesn't have a crystalline structure. But I learned this on accident this week, so now you have to learn it. One time, marbles were embedded in highways and road signs for reflectivity, and they were called cataphone when they were used that way, and it was invented by a guy named Percy Shaw in nineteen thirty seven who thought that marbles were pretty shiny in headlights like a cat's eye, and marbles and road signs were like, okay, these are pretty good until World War Two and then marbles and roadsides or cataphone took off because back then military vehicle headlights had utters on them like eyelids to cloak them from being visible from above. And in World War Two, since the entire world was a battlefield, shuttered headlights were standard on a lot of cars. Meaning that reflector marbles on road sides were discreete and helpful, so they were everywhere. And when I learned that, I lost my marbles, which is an idiom first coined in eighteen eighty six in a newspaper article which read, he has roamed the block all morning like a boy who has lost his marbles. Also, it was researching this aside that I realized that this episode needed to be a two parter because I'm sorry, there's just a lot of cool shit to learn about rocks and rock adjacent things, but all the glimmers is not class What about things like diamonds and sapphires and rubies and quartz crystals? Those are igneous or those are metamorphic.
Speaker 3: A lot of them can be both. The situation which in big typically jumpsed on crystals grow is when you have either magma cooling over really long periods of time that lets those crystals grow. For example, if you who are thinking about a tormaline crystal, I've been to outcrops. You can see big, beautiful tormaline crystals that have grown in granites that have poled over a really long period of time that allows those big crystals to grow and then a lot of other gemstones form in metamorphic rocks. Essentially, you can get the right ingredients there and if you put them under heat and pressure, it'll have time for those ingredients to sort of come together and grow into these new gemstones. So most gemstones for the most part, are going to be either coming out of an igniance for a metamorphic rock.
Speaker 2: When we're looking out at rocks lay in the yard or gravel in the driveway or scattered around. Maybe not a smart question, but is there like a garden variety that we see probably more than anything, Like if we see a bug in our house, like ninety percent chance as a house fly or something. Are there types of rock that it's like you probably see this all the time, you don't realize what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say there's a kind of rock club the salt, and there's a lot of it around. It's formed in a lot of different conditions. So it's an aeneous rock, so that forms when lava comes out of the earth and cools really fast, so it's usually gray and really fine grain and basalt is what makes up the tectonic plates at the bottom of the ocean, So basalt forms. That was called this basalt forms, it's called mid ocean ridges, where in the center of a lot of these tectonic plates the thought of the ocean, they're kind of split in half and they're spreading apart where magma is sort of coming up underneath them in a plume, and you just get this long, skinny sort of volcano splitting the plate, and the plate is moving out slowly from that center line where the basalt is being produced. And so there's a lot of basalta out there. And so you can take a look around and a lot of gravel pits and you see a fine grain, sometimes really smooth rock that's probably the salt. And it is very common, which is not to say that it's not beautiful in its own way, but that's probably a good garden variet.
Speaker 2: What about colors of rock, because I texted you before this to tell you that I sometimes will pick up a gravel in a driveway and then I'll arrange it in a beautiful ombre color, and for some reason I find it very soothing. I mean, it's the cheapest and most low stakes hobby a person can have. And when Jarrett and I were staying at my sister's helping out with my dad. I'd sometimes go outside for a minute. I'd just grab a few rocks and then arrange them in color order, and then sigh and just toss them back and return to the house. I even started drilling holes in a few with a drumml to make driveway rock necklaces. But I just found out researching this that there are naturally occurring rocks that have a whole straight room, maybe from a mollusc track as they formed, and those are called hag rocks. And to drill a hole in a rock and say it's a natural hag rock is to invite a curse on you. But I promise I just wanted to put a few drive rocks on a string. It was a time, It was a hard time, it was a good time. It was a time anyway. But why are some rocks white, summer yellowish, some are gray, some are brown? What's going on in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you can trace that all back to the chemistry and the physical structure.
Speaker 2: Of the rock.
Speaker 3: So again, all rocks are going to be made out of minerals, and then all those minerals are just based on various combinations of chemical elements arranged in different structures, and so sometimes a rocks color will be based on just the plain structure of the mineral in it, and then sometimes within minerals you'll get little tea tiny trace elements, so just like a little bit of dye into the crystal structure, and so that's going to give it its color. So a lot of rock color is going to be based on its chemistry. Though. A fun thing I learned a while back was that if you're looking at a rock, pick a granite and you see little kind of clearish gray crystals, a lot of the times those are going to be quartz crystals. And the reason that they look gray is not because they're colored that. It's because a lot of the times quarts will form clear. And the reason in a rock it looks like dark colored or gray because there's no light in there. Oh, it's so dark in here, So it's clear looking into a lightless interior of a rock.
Speaker 2: So for people who collect crystals or rocks, your purple amethysts have some iron in them to give it that lavender color. Rose quartz has traces of titanium or manganese or iron, and smoky quartz gets that kind of tinted window look via some natural irradiation affecting the aluminum in it. Milk quartz, that's just quartz with some liquid or gas trapped inside, which can be really helpful for people with bowel issues. Just kidding, I think it's just fun to think of milk quartz doing little farts. Your citrine in nature has colloidal ferric hydroxide impurities. But if you have an ombree amber crystal that was sold to you as citrine, it's more than likely it's an amethyst baked at nine hundred degrees which turns the purple parts golden yellow at the tips. But hey, if it's a citrin in your heart, and then you can think of it as a citrin all you want, because as far as crystal's having powers, if it makes you happy, then it makes you happy. And I said this in the Gemology episode, but our brains are just a jiggling mess of nerves and wires and memories and shit we don't fully understand. And one of those things is the placebo effect. So if you think a stone is going to distress you, it might distress you from a behavioral standpoint. If a gem or a rock reminds you to take actionable steps toward, like keeping your heart open for love, or being kinder to yourself, or managing your money more wisely. Then that stone is working by way of reminding you to change your behaviors which affect your life. But the placebo effect is not medicine. And there are people sadly literally banking on your fears and your hopes, and those people are sometimes doing a lot of dangerous mining using child labor in some country, which is never good vibes people. My point is that some rocks get all the attention, they're sold for a lot of money, but really all rocks are special like dogs. What about as someone who probably has to haul around rock samples and things like that, Why are they heavy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why are they heavy? So that's all about just the density of the minerals. When a mineral or a rock is forming, how many atoms can they pack in there? So a lot of them because they're in these really rigid crystal structures, they can pack in a lot of elements that are pretty heavy. So again a lot of the rocks that form, for example, the plates at the bottom of the ocean are really heavy. In things like magnesium and iron. It's all going to come back to the crystal structure of the rock in chemistry. So there's a lot of stuff packed in there.
Speaker 2: I'm so rude. I just realized that we're whatever. However, many minutes and I didn't even ask about your job or your work. I just was like, what the fuck is a rock? Your work deals with ice age rocks? Right, how many rocks samples do you have to collect? How big are the samples? What are you analyzing? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's actually really a really interesting thing. Is I love talking about rocks, but the work I do for my research, actually I don't look at rocks that much.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Because I feel like that's That's one of the things about geology is geology is a really broad field, and it's not just about studying rocks. It's about studying sort of the systems of our planet, and so it's a really interdisciplinary field. And so the kind of work that I do is I actually I sit up my laptop all day because there's a lot of geology that actually involves a lot of mathematics, and so when it comes to trying to sort of figure out or simulate how volcano erupts, or how an ice sheet moves around, or how the ocean responds to various things moving around on it. A lot of the times we really understand the math behind it. And so what we can do is I can tell a computer. I can write some code and tell my computer program, hey, you know, do this and figure out, for example, in my research, like you know, if we took an ice sheet and we grew it all the way from Canada down towards Oregon, like, what's going to happen to the ocean? What's gonna happen to the land surface if I grew the ice sheet closer and closer to where I am an Oregon.
Speaker 2: So their thesis involves working on problems of sea level during glacial cycles. And another paper they've been an author on is titled three D Mantle viscosity Structure in Glacial isostatic Adjustment Models resolves discrepancies in marine isotope stage MISS five A and five S global means sea level predictions in case you're wondering.
Speaker 3: So there's there's a lot of geology that just doesn't involve going out into the field and looking at rocks like I said, a lot of the work that I do involves computer programs in math, and then there's also a lot of really amazing geology, really important geology going on that involves a lot of chemistry. So there's going to be a lot of people who are taking rock samples that have been collected and they're going into labs and they're breaking them down into really into their component parts and doing a lot of chemistry on them to look at what exactly are these rocks made out of, Like what stories are in this rock? Chemistry they can tell it about how long ago did it form, what kind of conditions did it form in? And so I think that's a big misconception about geology is it's just a lot of you know, people in tan hats in a field collecting rocks. But it's just it's really this beautifully big, very field with there's all sorts of ways to approach it.
Speaker 2: Do movies or TV ever get geology really wrong? Has there ever been a pop culture rock that you're really a fan of or one that insenses you feel free to vent here?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? So I'll tell you my favorite of my least favorite geology in movies. So, okay, one thing that a lot of movies get wrong is volcanoes. And so volcanoes are really beautiful because a lot of them can be these massive, explosive, very dramatic eruptions. But oftentimes in movies when they're showing a volcano erupting, it'll be the kind of volcanic eruption that's really explosive to have a lot of ash and steam coming out of it, a lot of really harmful gases. And oftentimes with these big explosive volcanoes r up, for example, like mountain helens, the really dangerous thing about them is going to be when all of that hot ash that's literally boiling rushes down the mountain. The technical term for that is a pyroclastic flow. And oftentimes the movies these really dramatic scenes where there's all these people in cars trying to drive away or trying to run on their feet away from this ash flow, and these ashvills go really fast. They go tens of miles per hour fast.
Speaker 2: I look this up and yes, pyroclastic flow is a hall ass average speed sixty miles an hour or one hundred kilometers an hour, going up to over four hundred miles an hour of pyroclastic flow. That's seven hundred kilometers an hour if you're not an American.
Speaker 3: The example, like to you is the second Jurassic World movie when Chris Pratt is out running a pyroclastic flow on this island. Is he should not have survived that.
Speaker 2: I can't watch that movie.
Speaker 3: Can't outrun a pyroclastic flow on foot. And so that's always something you can think about when you see volcano in a movie, is like, Okay, what are the hazards are they portraying this movie from this volcano? And how well do they actually line up with what's dangerous?
Speaker 2: Chris Pratt would have to run a one minute mile for several miles to escape even the slowest, most sluggish pyroclastic flow. And I watched the YouTube of this movie clip and the comets section, hmm, it's delicious. It's like a cocktail party of both jocks and nerds, each in respective corners having conversations. Some are like, bitch an explosion, and some are like and I'm going to quote I feel like Owen would have grabbed onto one of the running dinos for a ride. They're faster than him, thus more likely to outpace that pyroclastic flow. Plus it would have looked cool seeing him charging downhill on a stego or an angliosaur, Which is a good point now when it comes to scientists and fiction, can a movie ever pass the realism vibe check?
Speaker 3: But the movie that I will say I think got a lot of the geology right is actually Norwegian movie called The Wave that tells a really interesting story about in areas that have had a lot of glaciers in them, you can sometimes get this valley called a fjord, and so fjord is where you had a glacier carve away the super tall, deep valley from a continent and it fills with water. And The Wave tells the story of a small town in a fjord that had really unstable rocks on these huge cliffs next to it. And sometimes if you can get a really loose pile of rock attached to a cliff face, if that falls into this valley, into the water that's covering to the bottom, it can cause a huge wave that moves through the fjord and just destroys anything in its path. And so I think if anyone wants to get a good idea of what natural hazards can look like and what natural has geology can look like. I'd recommend the Norwegian movie Wave.
Speaker 2: What about the myth? Or maybe just something that is overlooked. If you are out on a hike and you see a pretty rock and you go, oh so lovely, can you put that in your pocket? Or are you degrading that environment? Like how much rock collecting is too much rock collecting?
Speaker 3: That's a good question, and I think the important thing with that is the important thing is that you're asking yourself that question. A lot of the circumstances are going to depend and so before you go anywhere, and if you're thinking, like, man, I'd really like to collect some rocks, you can look up whose land it is. Is it private land, is it public land? Sometimes if it's private land, for example, I know there's some places here in Oregon where private landowners have allowed rock collecting under land, sometimes for a small fee. And then if it's public land, like Bureau of Land Management or the National Park Service or state parks will have a rock collecting policy on their website. If you go into certain public lands, you can collect regular rocks, and you can collect invertebrate fossils, but you might not be allowed to collect vertebrate fossils.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: For example, if you're going in a hike and you're interested in collecting some rocks, that recommend looking up the regulations on rock collecting, because oftentimes different land management agencies will have guidelines for you.
Speaker 2: PS. I tried this, and yes, if you google a state park or BLM the Bureau of Land Management plus your state, you can usually find a PDF with guidelines for rock counting, like no more than twenty five pounds a day and two hundred and fifty pounds of rock a year, which is a shitload more rocks than I was expecting. I was talking like, oh, this pebble is kind of greenish, Like maybe I'll keep it in my pocket like a treasure because I'm sad. But no matter what the limits are, Schmidty says, I.
Speaker 3: Think in terms of the sort of the ethics of it, and in terms of your personal relationship, in terms of what rock you're collecting, and think like, if I'm taking this rock away, am I removing something that other people would get to enjoy. So, for example, when I was in the wind River Canyon many years ago, and there's this beautiful granite cliff face with these huge tourmaline crystals, and that is something that we would never take away because if we took those formal in crystals away and then other you know, other people passing by on the road, other people stopping for fun, other geologists wouldn't get to enjoy them.
Speaker 2: Good point.
Speaker 3: So I think when you're taking a rock, you can ask for yourself, like am I removing something that future generations won't get to enjoy if I take it? And then also you can ask yourself, you know, why am I taking it? For example, if you're picking up a rock and you're saying, like, you know, I can bring this back to a community group where I can bring this back in my classroom to help teach people about the earth. That can be a really great reason to take a rock out of the field or like, for example, I have some rocks I brought with me today. I took them off road cuts and I bring them with me so that way I can teach people about rock. So I think the important thing when you're collecting a rock is be aware of the regulations around you and just making make sure you're checking with yourself, like why am I picking this up, and you know, if I take this rock out of the environment, am I going to be removing something from the community of rock clubbers in the area.
Speaker 2: And this is morbid, But I'm just going to say, if you do rockhound as a verb, maybe have a plan for your collection when you die. I'm sorry, I'm sorry to bring it up, but do you want your rocks scattered back to where you got them? Do you want them donated to a place that could use them for education? Maybe your friends have a gem in mineral rummage sale slash funeral, because think of how many rockhounders die and all these pretty rocks just get dumped into a landfill by people who don't appreciate them. And I'm sorry that's depressing, but something has to happen to all the stuff that we own one day. Some of it is billions of years old that we took home to look at for a decade, and then they get buried in a pit of diapers and rotting banana peels because people don't understand how cool they are. Okay, let's change the subject. What about licking rocks? Can you talk to me about licking rocks? I didn't know that licking rocks or fossils was even a thing until very recently. Who licks what for why?
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of licking rocks. I've licked a lot of rocks in my lifetime and there's definitely some valuable information you can get. So one of the classic rocks that everyone has licked at some point, a salt table salt, is formed of the minerals haylight. And so if you're in the field and you're in an area where you know hay light salt forms, and you're like, Wow, this is a really cool rock. I wonder if it's haylight, you can lick it. I think that's fine way to do it. A lot from times, if you're taking a geology class and you have samples going around, sometimes they might encourage you like, hey, you know, if you think this is haylight, this is gonna be the best way to forge or determine it is you lick it there. Actually, there are other rocks that if you lick it, they'll have a distinct taste. For example, so hay light table salt is made out of sodium chloride, and there's another mineral called silvite, which is potassium chloride, and if you lick sylvite, it's going to taste like bitter salt. So sometimes tasting like the taste of a rock can be a really diagnostic tool.
Speaker 2: So out in the wild, sylvite can be an orange, goldish, chunky rock, kind of like a pink Himalayan salt lamp, but with a rusty ochre hue. And did you know that you can buy tiny potassium chloride or silviite rocks in the supermarket. You can. They come as a shaker. It's called Morton's salt substitute, and it's sodium free. It's just made with potassium chloride and a quarter of a teaspoon of it has one hundred and fifty percent of the potassium of a banana. That's six hundred and ten mgs baby, I just looked it up. It's also easier to pack on hiking trips, and it can help balance your water retention if you get bloated from eating too much ramond But check with the doctor first because I'm not one, and too much potassium can be a problem for people with certain medical conditions like cardiac issues. But yeah, it tastes just like a dash of zingy salt. I've had it.
Speaker 3: I also know there are some other geologist if you're someone who studies sediment a lot, I do know people who will like lick or chew a little bit of sediment because that way, that's one way to get an idea of about how big the grains are. So like, for example, if you lick silt, which is going to feel kind of like mud versus sand, you know, that's one way to tell how bigy grains are. When it comes to licking fossils, fossilized bone, it's not necessarily going to have a distinct taste, but oftentimes if you're licking the right part of a fossilized bone, that interior sort of airy structure of the bone can be preserved, and so if you touch it to your tongue, it's going to stick. Oh, So that can be a really good way to tell whether or not you're licking bone. And so I think licking can be a very important diagnosis. Though there are definitely rocks that you do not want to lick, so at least try and have some kind of an idea of what you're licking before you look.
Speaker 2: At good advice. What don't you want to lick like, is there is plutanium like a uranium rocks out there? Are there radium rocks?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well there's one rock. It's called Galina, and Galina has two elements in it, lead and sulfur. Ooh, so probably don't want to lick that much lead.
Speaker 2: Or the sulfur. It sounds like a big poisonous fart pretty much.
Speaker 3: Not. Yes, the chemical formula is PBS. So I knew someone in college who the way they memorize that the formula for galina is PBS. It's not for kids.
Speaker 2: What about roundness of rocks? I guess because I've been sitting in a gravel driveway for several months sorting rocks. So I'm like, some are round, some are jagged. Is that the age of the rock where it hasn't been worn away or is that the density of the rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really good question, and so that's going to tell you about the history of the rock. So part of that is going to be how round a rock is. It's going to be reflective of how resistant is it. So like a piece of quartz that's going to be more resistant because it's a really durable, it's really hard rock. So it's going to take a lot of effort to trend round that off. Whereas talc, there's the mineral talc that's going to be really soft and it doesn't take a lot of work to round it off. So how round a rock is in part reflects sort of the chemistry and the structure of the rock, how resistant is it. But for the most part, how round a rock is, it's going to tell you a bit about the history of it. So usually when an ignitus or a metamorphic rock, you know, is fresh form, those are going to be really big angular crystals. Once rocks break apart and their component parts start to move through the rivers and the oceans, and you know they're getting carried around by glaciers, that's going to start to wear away the edges of the rock. And so oftentimes if you see, for example, if you can or a river and you thick up a really smooth, beautiful riverstone, that tells you that that stone has been carried around through water for a long time because all the other particles that are being carried around in that river in the water is working to smooth out the edges.
Speaker 2: Okay, I squeezed down a very deep dark rabbit hole crevass googling stone skipping. But what you need to know is that those perfect silver dollars smooth flat stones for skipping rocks have been lapped upon by waters for so so so many years, and competitive stone skippers like to find patches of rounded shale flakes or even better, slate discs for stone skipping. Shale side note is a sedimentary rock that turns into the metamorphic rock slate. And yes, I did say competitive stone skippers, which I learned about from a two thousand and nine CBS piece titled stone Skipping Professionals.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe what I was seeing, a stone that skipped and just kept on skipping and skipping fifty one time, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, which led me down the warren to the twenty sixteen documentary Skips Stones for Fudge, which details this rivalry between the two top athletes in the sport. There is Russ's rock bottom Briers and Kurt mountain man Steiner. Now Russ chucks things into the water, but Kurt reads physics papers about stone skipping and searches for hours on the shore for the perfect rock. And Kurt science minded was the record holder and then in one competition he let Russ use one of his rocks and Russ got fifty one skips on one stone, broke Kurt's record, devastating him, and Russ held the world record for six years until he was beaten by a man who skipped a rock on a lake surface eighty eight times. That man was Kurt, who reclaimed his title, and then Russ passed away in twenty seventeen and Kurt remains the title holder. Now if you wish to unseat him, prepare to dedicate your life to the sport, which is not lucrative, and maybe start by reading the two thousand and two American Journal of Physics paper The Physics of Stone Skipping, which taught the world that around a twenty degree angle to the water plus a really high spin rate to stabilize the stone give the highest number of bounces on the water, and then as it slows down toward the end and the skips become more frequent like beeppppeep that's called a piti pad, and stone skipping competitions use high speed video analyzes to confirm the number of skips. If you have no idea what this whole aside is, about I apologize for that because regional vocabularies may vary. But skipping stones on a surface of water is also called skimming stone skiffing ducks and drakes. It's called lobster cutting, measikiri, or water cutting. Some people call it throwing a sandwich or letting the frogs out. So let he who casts the first skipping stone, though, prepare by reading some physics papers, you too can overthink next time you're on a lake shore trying to meditate to the sound of lapping waves.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things to do ever. I actually I really like sand. I think sand is really beautiful and something that I recommend everybody do is I know, actually, if you have a loop or a hand lens, hand lenses are really really useful for geology, and so you can get a magnifying glass or like a macro camera or a hand lens and you go to any beach. You can pick up sand and look at it under a lens. I was literally looking at sand. I was at the beach this morning. I was looking at a bunch of sand today thinking about its history. You can get an idea about how long sand has been hanging around the environment. By how round it is. Because if you're looking at sand grains and they're really rough and angular, that means they came out of their parent rock pretty recently. But if you look at sand grains that are, you know, kind of clear and they're really round, that means those grains have been hanging around the surface of the earth for you know, millions of hundreds of millions of years.
Speaker 2: And you are living outside of Portland, right.
Speaker 3: I mean Corbalus. I'm an hour from the beach, but I'm there all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what when you live in la I live in Los Angeles and I'm like an hour and a half from the beach because everything getting to Santa Monica it's a nightmare. Don't recommend it. Well, we are two hours from the beach, well foreign traffic. And Schmidti was born in Utah, which has beautiful sedimentary rocks that have been shaped by water over eons. But they say they did a lot of the growing up in Minnesota, which is full of old rocks that escaped ice sheets. We're going to get to more of that in a second, but first a quick break. Because each week we donate to a cause of the ologists choosing and this week Schmidi is tossing cash to Skypa Scientist, which has a database of thousands of scientists and helps them connect with the classrooms and families, libraries, scout troops and more all over the globe, giving students the opportunity to get to know a real scientist and get the answers to their questions straight from the source. And Skypa Scientist was founded by doctor Sarah Macinaty, a squid scientist, and You're Touthology episode Friend and September happens to be squid Timber. So you can celebrate by donating to skype a Scientists, or you can buy some cool new squid stickers that Sarah just launched with a Philadelphia based artists and they are very cool. I ordered several of them to give as gifts and Sarah handships them out herself And there are links to those squid stickers in the show notes along with a link to Skype Scientists. That donation was made possible by sponsors of the show. Next week, Shimidi answers so many pressing Patreon questions about geodes and crystals and favorite rocks, best rock punds, Petrified wood, ice, and more. But this week, let's get back to their favorite geology.
Speaker 3: The rocks that were really formative for me were the rocks of the north woods of Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I spent a lot of time on Lake Superior. Lake is very near in need of my heart. And so when you get up to sort of the upper Midwest, you get to part of the continent called the Canadian Shield. So a lot of continents have it's called a craton, which is continental material that was formed deep underneath the surface of the Earth and it's been floating around the surface of the Earth for billions of years, and so that's very hard resistant rock. And so the areas that I spent a lot of time in summers canoeing when I was a kid, and then the area around where I went to college was just these old, beautiful rocks that have been around for hundreds of millions, if not billions of years, and so they carry a lot of history. So for one of my college classes, we were driving along the side of a country highway and we just pulled off on the side and step down and we looked at this tiny little road cut and we're you're able to put your hand on that rock and say that rock is two billion years old, that rock is older than bones.
Speaker 2: What. I didn't know any of this, But animals with skeletons didn't exist until about five hundred and fifty million years ago. And paleontologists now think that the chemistry and the ocean's changed and fish could grab and store more calcium and foss for us in these things called osteocytes. And then they think the original purpose of these bone cells was to act as batteries for long journeys. So you might be driving past outcrops and road cuts of rocks older than bones, older than bones. Are you a bit of a slow poke when it comes to road trips? Do you have to factor and double the amount of time to go on a road trip?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do love stopping on road trips. The thing with me that you really have to factor in triple, if not quadruple time, is hiking, hiking and walking on a beach. I'm always stopping, Like just on the beach yesterday, you know where this beautiful Pacific beach, huge ocean stretching off before us, and just this little twenty foot tall sandy cliff. There was me looking at the cliff. I was just ignoring the ocean behind me. So I really like I have to factor in a lot of time when I'm hiking because there's a bold around the side of the road, room exposed cliff face. Like even if I can't look at it and immediately understand like, oh, this is what happened, it's really fun to sit there and like, you know, interact with it, like feel what's this rock made out of? Look at are there any fossils in this rock? Like try and piece together. Just standing there, moving your hands around, think about like how did this get to where it is today? Because you know, every now and then I'll be in a parking lot. I'm like, we just got to look at that rock.
Speaker 2: What about rock tumblers? Do you have a rock tumbler?
Speaker 3: I don't have a rock tumbler, but some people I love very much are really into rock tumbling, and so I think tumble rocks are really really cool. I personally, all the rocks that I have, I prefer to not tumble them because a lot of the times the natural structure of a rock can tell you a lot about it. I think if you're collecting well sourced rocks, I think tumbling canna be a great thing to do. There's a lot of really cool textures that you can only see through rock tumbling, so I think that's a great activity as long as you have something sound proof to put it.
Speaker 2: I bet that it's very loud. A rock tumbler, quick aside, is a hollow drum. It looks kind of like a coffee can that you put in in raw rocks, some water and some polishing grid, which is usually silicon carbide, which is a nine to nine point five in the hardness scale compared to a ten of a diamond. Pretty hard, and the rocks churn in that and the water for a few weeks and they come out smoothed and shiny. But it's not easy on the ears and fun fact not that fun. But because of ethical issues sourcing diamonds, a lot of people these days are choosing a stone called a wassonite for engagement rings, and wassonite is a type of silicon carbide. It's really pretty, it's really hard. Silicon carbide is also used in rocket engines and as semiconductors and led lights and for bulletproof vests, so it's a stone so tough. It provides safety in Love and War. I suppose what about myths? What is a piece of flim flam that you need to bust about rocks?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, not necessarily a rock, piece of film flan, but something that's very personal to me for about my research is this is a very large piece of flim plan But anthropogenic climate change is real, and part of I can't not take the opportunity to say that. But you know, part of my research or the rocks that I study, I use a lot of Methone's computer models, and I also use all of these ancient shorelines around North America to study how our climate has changed in the past. And that's one myth that I really want to bust is that a lot of people will say, like, oh, our climate, you know, climate has changed in the past, like temperatures have fluctuated. You know, we've warmed and we've cooled in the past. So you know that means our warming today is not a problem. But if you look it, compare the amount and rate of warming that's happened naturally in the Earth's history. A lot of the stuff that's really natural is very slow and gradual, and you know it'll take thousands of years to warm up a couple of degrees, and so what we're seeing today is absolutely not natural. And we have had some times in ours hisstory where the climate has changed really rapidly, and that's always been a bad thing, that's never been good.
Speaker 2: That makes plenty of sense.
Speaker 3: I can't not take this opportunity to talk about climate change.
Speaker 2: I wonder, speaking of like Sunday morning coffee and philosophy, there must be people who are like, well, we grew here and we're destroying it, and that's all part of nature, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're right that humans are natural. We're part of our environment. We grew out of our environment. But in terms of our impact on our environment, one really important thing to think about is our responsibility to the planet around us. Like we we are part of all of these communities, the community of people, community of animals, community of plants, Like we're in community with the rocks around us, and we have a responsibility to take care of the planet. And decidedly the carbon emissions that we're putting into the atmosphere are not taking care of the planet. And so you know, we have responsibility to ourselves, to the world around us. And to our children, to the people that are going to be here ahead of us, to take care of our planet because we live here. Like you know, you're not going to never vacuum your house, You're not going to never do us. You better do your dishes. And so we need to be responsible citizens of this earth and we have you know, we take care of other humans, and we need to take care of the planet we're living on.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful way to look at it. I love the idea of people who are proudly like rolling coal. It's just like proudly filthy, Like no one would be like, look at how dirty my toilet is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. It's a weird it's a weird comparison, and it's a weird.
Speaker 2: Flex And for more on this, see the frequently cited twenty ten paper Climate Change, Human Rights and Moral Thresholds. If you ask yourself, would I stab a million strangers and the answers no, then all of us joining forces to combat global warming trends is within our scope of morality. Now are we smart enough to save ourselves? As a speak? Well, I dug around looking at the Drake equation, which calculates how many trillions of planets might be sustaining millions of intelligent civilizations, and found that Frank Drake just passed away like last week, September second, twenty twenty two, So we have a little less intelligent life on this planet. But then there's the Fermi paradox, which is the great question of if there are so many potential aliens, where is there? And one hypothesis is called the Great Filter, which basically says, once a civilization gets too advanced, it meets a barrier of some sort which makes its detectability very rare. Essentially, our big brains snuff ourselves out. And we did a whole episode, the Astrobiology episode touches on this. But there's also an article on NASA's Astrobiology page casually titled do intelligent civilizations across the galaxies self destruct? For better and worse? Where the test case? And it's about this Great filter id and it mentions the work of David Grinspoon's a planetary scientist in the former Astrobiology chair at the Library of Congress, who sees humans as quote the planet's most powerful and consequential force of nature, but marveling at our surroundings and appreciating them may be the key to saving it all.
Speaker 3: That's one of the beautiful things I think about setting geology is you know when you can pick up this rock and be like, well, this rock is two billion years old, I'm twenty five years old. Like learning to think on that time scale and really understanding just how in terms of the history of our planet, how small we are. It can be at times deeply eerie, but for the most part very reassuring. To feel like we are a small step in a long story that's been ongoing for four point five billion years.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that that gives you so much perspective about just in terms of like the cut banks, text your crush, like this thing has been around for billions of years. We've got maybe seventy eighty. You know as well, just do your thing, But can I ask you questions from listeners? Pleasing So ask rock people hard questions and then go stare at the driveway because the world is a tough but a glimmering place like a rock. And Schmidty Thompson is not on social media because they are smarter than me, but they will be back next week for part two, Answering your Rock questions their bios in the show notes, and if you attend to Skype to Scientists after Hours Trivia for adults on Thursdays at eight pm Eastern, you will see them. There a lot link on my website for that, plus so much else that we talked about at aliward dot com, slash Ologies, slash Geology, I'm at ali Ward on Instagram and Twitter. Ologies is on both at ologies. Smologies are shortened g rated episodes suitable for kids and all ages. Those are up at aliward dot com slash Smologies linked in the show notes. Ologies merch has hats and toads and sweatshirts, all kinds of goodness. Thank you Susan Hale for managing that and so much more. Noel Dilworth does our scheduling. Aaron Talbert admins the Ologies podcast Facebook group with assists from Bonnie Dutch and Shannon feltis of the comedy podcast You Are That. Emily White The Wordery makes professional transcripts Caleb Patten Bleep's episodes and those are up for free on our website at aliward dot com. Slash Ologies, Dash Extras, Zeke Rodriguez, Thomas and Mercedes Maitland of Mind jam Media edits smologies. Kelly Arndwyer helps with the website. She can design yours and her links. In the show notes. Nick Thorburn made the theme music and the lead editor is the mystical man shared sleeper of mind Gamdia as well. If you stay long enough, you'll hear a secret. And this week's is that gmy got a molar extracted yesterday, and without me even having to ask, the vet gave it to me in a small glass tube and I was so thrilled. It's in three chunks with these long roots. Do I make earrings? Do I make a necklace? Do I fabricate some kind of magic dog wand that manifests cheese? I don't know, but her tooth is like a pegasus feather to me, and I will forever treasure it. Okay, go stir to rock for about.
Speaker 3: Cereal that's pure rocks and pebbles, a hardy old Fashions flavor. The whole family will enjoy.
Speaker 2: Get value you can't argue with.
Speaker 3: At Tesco with their amazing cloak card prices, have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal Get the finest frozen pizza chips and ice cream all for six Euro, like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do you or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert.
Speaker 2: Can't argue with that shop in store or online.
Speaker 3: Tesco Every Little helps available in most stories, Prices varying Express