Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy Kig.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock Friday morning. This is your wake up call for December sixth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Glad you're waking up with us today. So much going on. I feel kind of left out because we had that huge earthquake in northern California, a seven point zero, and we didn't feel it. I mean, not that that's a bad thing, but you know, you feel you think that when it's that big, there'd be some effect. Luckily, it sounds like it didn't do the kind of damage that it probably would have done if it had hit a big city. Lots going on today. We're going to get you all up to date and hopefully have a little bit of fun too. Do be careful if you're driving out there here. The FOG's pretty bad. It wasn't bad on my drive in, but I hear it's pretty thick, especially down as you're heading into OC here is what is ahead on wake up call. Dozens of aftershocks have rumbled under northern California following that seven point zero quake that hit about sixty two miles off the coast. A tsunami warning was issued but then canceled. State Senator Mike Maguire says about ten thousand people lost power in Humboldt County because of the quake. Governor Newsom has declared a state of emergency in northern California. USC has urged international students to return to the US before President Elect Trump takes office. Emails have been sent to students who are on F one and J one visus encouraging them to return early from winter break, have their travel documents with them, and make sure the documents are up to day in case there are any issues with them getting back into the country after Inauguration Day. Travelers who flew in or out of lax before Thanksgiving may have been exposed to measles. The La County Department of Public Health says a person with measles was in the Tom Bradley International Terminal on November twenty seventh. Passengers who may have been exposed or being notified a baby with measles has been treated at Children's Hospital in Orange County. It's not clear if it's the same person. Well, we're going back to the moon, but not quite as soon as we had hoped. We're going to talk about that with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. We're going to get the latest on what's going on with the murder of that CEO from United Healthcare, what new clues they've discovered. We're also going to be talking to the house whisper Dean Sharp that's coming up at the bottom of the hour. And also if you're headed to the movies or maybe going to curl up on the couch for the weekend, or maybe watch something as you're decorating the house, we're going to check with ABC's Will Gambs. That's coming up before the end of the hour. So see, I told you lots going on. So let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom has declared a state of emergency in northern California because of the magnitude seven earthquake in the Pacific Ocean near the border with Oregon Quake expert doctor Lucy Jones says the earthquake hit about ten forty five yesterday morning.
Speaker 4: Located on the transformed fault that extends out beyond the end of the San Andreas.
Speaker 1: The quake TRIGGEREDOO tsunami Warner, a warning that affected about five million people in California and Oregon. It has been canceled the US Geological Services. The earthquake could be felt in San Francisco, Oakland, and Alameda. It's been followed by dozens of aftershocks, almost all of them centered in the ocean, and most of them pretty small. News brought to you by Ruderhiro dot com. A man who shot and critically wounded two kindergarteners at a Seventh Day Adventist school in northern California gain access to the school by pretending to enroll a fictitious grandson at the school. Mute County Sheriff Cory Honin Honey says the man wrote about the attack and also planned to visit another school yesterday. He shot and killed himself after the shooting. On Wednesday, A candlelight vigil for the little boys, who are still in critical condition, is planned for today, a person has either fallen or jumped to their death from the sixth Street Bridge and Boil Heights. LA Fire says the person was found dead in the La river bed below the bridge yesterday afternoon. LAPD detectives are working to figure out if the person fell or jumped and why. LA County Supervisor Katherine Barger says a local government should prepare to work with the new Trump administration.
Speaker 5: The Board of Supervisors voted to mobilize its lobbyist in support of Governor Newsom's plan to trump proof California. Supervisor Catherine Barber was the only vote against the motion.
Speaker 6: Adopting a confrontational approach with the incoming Trump administration is not the best of now.
Speaker 5: Barger is chair of the board and says she plans to communicate with the incoming administration. She says La County will need federal support for homelessness, transportation, and the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI News would like to say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. So Jim as Jackie Gleason might have said to the Moon. Alice NASA says it's got plans in place to go back to the Moon for the first time in fifty years.
Speaker 4: Yes, but it's going to be a little delayed. You know. The plan was to get something going this coming year twenty twenty five, to at least get a further step, and then maybe in twenty twenty six have people walking around on the Moon again. That's not going to happen. Bill Nelson, the NASSA administrator, yesterday said that the programm is being pushed back a bit. Remember two years ago Amy the Artemis program. It was Armis one was a rocket that carried the Orion spacecraft without a crew on board, on a trip around the Moon, and it came back about ten days later. Everything seemed great, but engineers taking a closer look realize that the heat shields weren't doing their job quite properly five thousand degree temperatures as this thing is re entering the Us' atmosphere, So they want to improve that and maybe change the trajectory, the re entry trajectory so it's not quite so hot, and then try it again. So the mission now is planned. The orbit, the next orbit of the Moon with people on board is supposed to happen in April twenty twenty six, and then the mission to put people on the Moon again mid twenty twenty seven. That's the timeline.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, so before they go and land on the Moon, they're going to do that fly by. Why do a fly by instead of just going.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a matter of safety. It's making sure that everything works that it's going to be feasible to do this. Obviously we did it before fifty some odd years ago with Apollo missions. But you know, it seems NASA is very cautious these days, considering the loss of two talent to shuttles. You know, they want to be in an abundance of caution, make sure that everything has been tested, every possibility has been considered, and that it's as safe as it can be. It's always going to be dangerous, but doing things like this fly by the orbit of the Moon intended to prove that it can be done. Next step is putting people down onto the surface again.
Speaker 1: Isn't it weird that it was fifty years ago and then we just stopped going.
Speaker 4: It is kind of weird. I think the plan, at least back then was to try to continue and maybe by now we would have a Moon base in place. And yeah, it's fifty years on and still we haven't been back.
Speaker 1: Did you ever? Did you watch that show? For all Mankind?
Speaker 4: I've been watching it. It's hard to get into it. It's a little bit, yes.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, but I think it's fascinating because I'm interested in love all things space. But they have like they set.
Speaker 4: Up interesting twist on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of interesting twists, but they like set up base is on the Moon and then they set up base everywhere and then they go to Mars. And yeah, it's still fascinating. So is how long does it take to get from here to the moon?
Speaker 4: What is it? Day day and a half or something like that. Though the whole mission is about ten days to go to the moon, circle it and then come back. The mission to put people on the Moon and have them exploring the south pole of the Moon is about a month. So it depends upon what you're intending to do.
Speaker 1: And they're going to the south pole and recently didn't China go to the south pole.
Speaker 4: Or career dropped the probe? Yeah that nobody has. No people have set foot on the Moon in fifty odd years, but yes the Chinese have and just liking in that show, right, there's this competition between I think it's Russians and the Americans there on the moon with their space bases, their moon bases, but the Chinese are looking at doing the same thing. They'd like to put people on the moon the goal. Yesterday Bill Nelson, the NAST administrator, said, look, if we do this in mid twenty twenty seven, we should still beat the Chinese to putting somebody back on the Moon again. So there is still a space race going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what's the fascination about the south part of the moon?
Speaker 4: Water? There's water there, and it means that you can establish a base. You don't have to keep hauling water up there from the Earth, which is extremely expensive and cumberson to do, not cost effective. So if you can find your own water there in ice form or whatever it might be, you can sustain life. What's more, you can also use that water to create fuel to carry the next generation of astronauts to Mars maybe beyond.
Speaker 1: Okay, is Artemis al NASA or is Elon Musk involved with that?
Speaker 4: Busk is involved, you know, But even with the Apollo missions, you had a lot of private companies that are involved that, you know, the contractors building everything from you know, the rocket panels, to the space suits, to every aspect of it was built by some private company for the most part. But yes, and this is interesting because, so what will happen with Artemus three the moon landing. This crew of four will dock with the SpaceX Starship human Landing System in orbit around the Moon. Two of the crew members, two of the four crew members will stay in the Orion NASA spacecraft orbiting the Moon. The other two will will ride the starship down to the surface of the Moon. Then they'll do their thing down there. They will wander around and proof off and play golf or whatever they're going to do there like the Apollo astronauts. And then they'll get back into the SpaceX Starship. They'll go back up to the Orion NASA spacecraft over the you know, or ring Moon, and then come back to Earth. So it's the symbiotic relationship NASA and SpaceX.
Speaker 1: That's that's cool. That's cool, all right. And then speaking of SpaceX and the International Space Station, they also gave an update on Sonny and Butch, the astronauts who are kind of having a Gilligan's Island moment. They were supposed to be on a week long tour and they've been there for six months now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm supposed to be eight days now. It's been extended into February of next year, so a couple of more months because of the Boeing Starlin or spacecraft that they made it up there. And so you know, even with these private companies in Bowling and Starling, I mean and Space Eggs, things are not perfect.
Speaker 1: No, they're not. But do you know what's perfect is that our friend Colonel Nick Haig, who is a friend of wake Up Calls. He's going to he's the commander of the mission that's bringing Butch and Sunny home in February. Oh nice, Yeah, absolutely, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. I always love talking about space and love talking about space with you because you know a lot. We like that.
Speaker 4: It's fun. I like it.
Speaker 1: I know, isn't it fun? It is? All right, have a great weekend, Jim.
Speaker 4: Thanks Sam.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man for South LA has been arrested in connection with a string of armed robberies in La and Orange Counties, including one where a person was shot Federal prosecutor see the man targeted people in parking lots. The first robbery was in August outside the Hustler Casino in Guardina. He allegedly broke a woman's teeth with his gun when she screamed and refused to hand over her purse. The next day, he allegedly robbed a man in Carson and a guy standing near a Rolls Royce in Costa Mesa. Another man was shot in September during a robbery at the same mall. Governor Newsom has visited the southern border, where he was asked about a potential mass deportation policy under President elect Trump. Newsom says the state will not obstruct, but also won't help.
Speaker 4: California's posture remains we do not interfere in the federal government's right to enforce federal law using federal resources.
Speaker 1: Newsom also says he's sending more National Guard troops to the border to collaborate with the Mexican government to tackle illegal weapons and drugs. A Hamas official says ceasefire talks for Gaza have started up again. He says he's hopeful a deal to end the fourteen month war is within reach. Guitar suspended talks with mediators from Egypt and the United States last month over a frustration with the lack of progress between Israel and Hamas. Anthem, Blue Cross Blue Shield is stopping its decision not to cover anesthesia under certain conditions.
Speaker 2: The insurance company first said that it would not reimburse anesthesia costs if the surgery went on for what the insurance deemed too long. People were outrage across social media. The American Society of Anesthesiologists issued a statement calling the policy a cynical money grab and urging Anthem to reverse it immediately. Now Blue Cross Blue Shield is saying that they'd be stopping the policy one day after the shooting of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Can you even imagine they're talking about, well, we'll cover anesthesia, but if the surgery goes long, if you have a problem or a complication and it takes longer than we say that it should, we're not going to cover that anesthesia anymore. Crazy. Los Angeles has the largest GDP of all counties in the whole country. The gross domestic product takes all the totals from all the bottom lines on goods and services the counties produce. Orange County ranks ninth with two hundred and seventy three billion dollars and San Diego County ranks tenth in the country with two hundred and sixty one billion. The search continues for the man who murdered the CEO of United Healthcare in front of the Hilton Hotel in Midtown. Manhattan. Police say they've received an avalanche of tips about the suspect, but are still not sure of his identity. We're going to get the latest on the man hunt with ABC's Josh Morgolan in just a minute. The House is voted against releasing an Ethics Committee report from its investigation of former Florida Congressman Matt Gates. Gates was being investigated over allegations of sexual misconduct and drug use. Gates was nominated by President elect Trump to be the next Attorney General, but he withdrew his name from consideration and also resigned from com Gris. Mulwana two is expected to have another big weekend at the box office. It took in a record two hundred and twenty one million dollars over the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend and could bring in another sixty million this weekend. At six oh five, it's handle on the news that Biden White House is considering preemptive pardons. I'll tell you about that right now.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Josh Margolan. Good morning, Josh.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning.
Speaker 3: Here are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good. The man who shot and killed the CEO of CEO of United Healthcare still on the loose. Two days after Brian Thompson was gunned down in front of the Hilton Hotel. What have we learned about the shooter?
Speaker 8: At least have a ton of information right now. They have a lot of good working material in terms of his whereabouts, how how and when he comes into the city, what he did around the city. They're piecing everything together. You know, it's impossible in a big city like New York or Los Angeles to do anything without being captured on security.
Speaker 4: And traffic cameras these days.
Speaker 8: What they don't know yet is why this happened, and they don't know where he is. The manhunt is continuing, as you say, two days after it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where how did he come into the city by bus?
Speaker 8: To the port authority bus terminal, the main bus station for intercity buses in Midtown Manhattan, and he then goes he checks into this hostel. It's the hostel where when he checked in, there's the security cameras have a picture of his full face. It's the only good image of his full face that we have. Other cameras have captured him with some sort of a scarf for a COVID mask on the lower part of his face. And he then, you know, we see him coming out of the subway going to the location that morning, see him on a cell phone. Then they see images of him getting away from the area on a bike. Then they see images of him, you know, he goes to Central Park, just a few blocks north of the location. Then he comes out farther north of Central Park.
Speaker 4: So they have all of that kind of that.
Speaker 8: They're trying to piece every single thing together because in the absence of knowing who this is, they want to get the information they can to try to figure out who we talked to, who he might have interacted with, where he was, where he might be going.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I heard that we have or no we but I heard that they have recovered a cell phone that might be his.
Speaker 8: Yes, So there are images of him on a cell phone before the killing occurred. There was a cell phone found in the alley right where he disappeared to when he got on a bike to take off after the shooting. So they have that phone. We don't have a good sense of what police have found in that phone. Was it some sort of a personal phone, was it a burner? So that kind of information is going to obviously be key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then there's also the bullets or the casings where they had the words written on them in a like with a sharpie or something. Are those words a message or are they thinking they might be a decoy?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 8: It could be either the words are denied, depose, delay. These are words that are used by people in opposition to insurance companies. And there's obviously a ton of people as you could see online. The insurance industry is very controversial. Decisions that they make every single day affect people's lives in very very dramatic and profound ways. So could it be that it's a grudge against this individual Brian Thompson because of his work as an insurance executive, or against the company which is the largest health insurer in the country. Could be Could it be that this is somebody who has some sort of other grudge, there's some other motivation, and decided to try to throw cops off his sense, so to speak, by like the red herring, like a decoy, like you say, saying it's the insurance thing as opposed to some other personal thing. Police are very very titless about that. They have Thompson's phone and his records, and they're talking to the insurance company that he worked at to understand what was going on in his life and in his work. We don't have a picture right now that there's anything at work here other than some sort of a grudge related to Thompson's work as an insurance executive.
Speaker 1: Okay, so many questions, so many questions. Thank you for the answers you were able to provide. Josh Margoline, Chief investigative reporter for ABC News. We appreciated a ton. Hi every day, all right, you two. A baby who recently returned from traveling internationally has a confirmed case of the measles. Orange County Health officials say the baby was taken to the er at Children's Hospital Orange County three times on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday, health officials are contacting anyone who may have been exposed. The La County Department of Public Health is also saying someone who traveled through lax the day before Thanksgiving has measles. That person arrived on a Qatar Airlines flight and was in the it's Tom Bradley International Terminal from noon to six on Wednesday of last week. It's not clear if the baby and the person at the airport are the same person. State lawmaker has introduced a bill to speed up vote counting in California. Democratic Assembly Member Mark Berman says some freshman lawmakers have been sworn in already even before their election results are certified.
Speaker 4: I think that we.
Speaker 7: Can set some metrics and some guidelines and some deadlines so that elections officials understand what's expected, also so that we create as much transparency for voters as possible.
Speaker 1: Election officials have said ballots are slowly counted in this state because of the large population and the wide use of vote by mail. Berman says he wants to consider increased funding for ballot counting and to meet with lawmakers and discuss ways to count ballots more quickly. President elect Trump has been honored at Fox Nations Annual Patriot Awards in New York. He was given the honorary award Patriot of the Year. Following his sweeping election win, Trump was greeted yesterday with Chance of USA and spoke about bringing our country back and it's.
Speaker 7: Going to be bigger and better and stronger than ever before.
Speaker 1: Trump spoke for about ten minutes. The event was hosted by Fox's Sean Hannity. Hey, we had an amazing pastathon twenty twenty four thanks to you. The last total we had and this is like twenty four hours old, so I think Michelle producer Michelle is going to be getting us new totals soon. But as of yesterday morning, we had one million, two thousand and sixty nine dollars raised, seventy nine, nine hundred and fifty five pounds of pasta and sauce, and you can continue to donate. We're not quite done yet. We want to help Chef Bruno serve up those twenty five thousand plates of pasta every week to children in southern California. So through Sunday night, here's how you can donate, and please please do I know it's the giving season. You got a lot on your plate, but if you can spare a little bit, we certainly appreciate it. You can go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash Pastathon anytime. You can also stop by any so col Wendy's donate five bucks and you're going to get a coupon book that's worth like three times that at least. Or you can stop in at any Smart and Final store in California. Or if you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, maybe you're in Nevada or Arizona. Smart and Finals in Nevada and Arizona also participating. You can donate any amount to Katerina's Club at checkout. We certainly appreciate it and thank you for your participation so far. In Pastathon twenty twenty four, Governor Newsom assigned an emergency declaration to deal with possible damage following a seven point zero earthquake that shook off the coast of northern California. The quake kit yesterday morning, about sixty two miles west of Ferndale. It prompted a tsunami warning, but that expired. The US Geological Survey says there have been dozens of aftershocks, most of them pretty small. Jurors will deliberate for a fourth day in Manhattan to decide the fate of Daniel Penny, who's accused of manslaughter and negligent homicide in the death of Jordan Neely on a subway train. The jury asked to see witness video yesterday and asked some other questions as well. Neely's dad, meantime, filed a civil lawsuit against Penny yesterday. Elon Musk and Vivek Ramaswami have met with House Speaker Mike Johnson to talk about DOGE, the new Department of Government Efficiency. Johnson says it was a brainstorming session on how to reduce waste, fraud, and abuse in government. Johnson said the government is too big, it does too many things, and it does almost nothing well. At six oh five, its handle on the news Anthem Blue Cross is backed off a plan to only cover anesthesia for a certain amount of time during surgeries. At five point fifty. An other big weekend expected at the box office. But if you're going to stay closer to home, there's some good stuff to watch too, And yes, Star Wars fans that includes you. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Will gans in just a few minutes. But right now, let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI. It's the house whisper Dean Sharp. Dean, good morning Ish, Yes, good morning Ish, Good morning Ish to you. Yeah, so I love this topic and you're going to have to explain it because Dean is going to share with you the secrets of Ish. So you got to explain what that is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, my favorite way to describe eclectic design, which is, to one degree or another, what everybody I think has to contend with a certain kind of eclecticism in their design.
Speaker 1: Words.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, I know, you know, I really I'm I wonder about this weekend. I may have bitten off something more than I can chew. Honestly, this is one of the most difficult topics to communicate to people about the decor inside their.
Speaker 1: Home because it's very personal.
Speaker 9: It is very personal, and it's very complex. And most people that I talk to are very frustrated with or have a certain degree of frustration with the decor in their home because they imagine, you know, these magazines spread looks and they just think, you know, my house is never going to look that way.
Speaker 3: It's never going to be beautiful like that.
Speaker 9: And and so in one sense it's a good thing because I'm here to take everybody off the hook and say, listen, no one lives in a magazine spread house, right, that's just it's not real life at all. And nobody lives that I've ever encountered in what we would call a pure un you know, uninterrupted design theme. Everyone I know, and I've been doing this for a long time. Every lifestyle home I've ever encountered lives in what I call the Ish, the Ish zone. In other words, you may have a modern home, your decor may be modern, but it's not pure modern, and it's modern ish. You may live in a craftsman bungalow or a ranch house, but it's not a pure ranch decor. It's ranch ish. It's farmhouse ish because there's other stuff in there. So the question is, how do we live in the Ish? What are the secrets to doing that? And can it be beautiful? And my contention is absolutely it can and it must be a beautiful thing because that's the real world. That's real life. And the idea of a magazine spread or an internet you know, the Pinterest board spread of a beautiful sophisticated, let's say, like a sophisticated kitchen, unblemished, untarnished. You know, all you have to do is imagine something like, you know, put a refrigerator, magnet and your six year old's kindergarten coloring project of the week up on that refrigerator. In that sit you have, You've destroyed you You brought it to its knees right with real life. And so I am not abandoning the idea of a high, beautiful and thematic design. But what we're going to attempt to do this weekend is really embrace the idea of how do you successfully do eclectic design? Eclectic simply meaning that there's more than one thing happening, there's more than one theme going on, there's a lot of different components, some of them coming from maybe different periods, different styles. Is that just always going to be a chaotic mishmash or can you really get a design theme rolling with all of that, get it all headed in the same direction?
Speaker 1: Okay? So, and one of the examples that you gave, I thought this was a really good one too. Aside from putting the magnet with the kids prey on drawing on the refrigerator was having an historic home and having beautiful antiques and stuff, but then having a seventy in TV on the wall, which completely is counterintuitive to the decor, but you can make it work exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean that's where we live.
Speaker 9: We all, you know, most people technically speaking, live in a period kind of decor, meaning that you know, you embrace a decor that isn't like George Jetson's contemporary. It has some connection to the past. And a lot of us here in southern California, I mean, our homes are aging, right, We've got a lot of us live in fifty year old homes, seventy year old homes, nine one hundred year old exactly. So one hundred year old home was not designed ever with the consideration of a flat screen TV. It's kind of like what you were saying right coming off the break, you know, It's like, how would I live without a microwave these days? So the idea of how do we live in a in a period or historical decor that we love because we love the nostalgia of it, and also live a twenty first century life and have it blend beautifully together? Is that possible? And my answer to that is yes, but there are rules. There are rules that have to be followed along the way to make it work.
Speaker 1: Okay, it sounds like you've got your work cut out for you this weekend. We can't wait to hear all about it. We'd love to do it now, but we don't have time. So you get to breathe and really share all of those little tips and tricks and the secrets of ish. I love this topic and I'm looking forward to hearing it because I think you can. You can do it, but it maybe is going to require a little bit of thought.
Speaker 9: Yes, absolutely, So we're just going to carefully walk everybody through it, and for those who hang with us, I think they will be rewarded.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you can listen to Home with Dean Sharp on KFI this weekend Saturday from six am to eight am and then Sunday from nine to noon. You can also follow our buddy Dean at Home with Dean. Thanks so much, Dean. Fascinating topic.
Speaker 3: I'll see you on the other side of issue.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we'll talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom, La Metross tighter fair enforcement is showing positive results.
Speaker 5: Metro says illegal and unruly incidents on the A Line train have dropped by thirty percent since making sure passengers at Long Beach and AZUSA are paying. Metro CEO Stephanie Wiggins says the agency will also expand another tactic next year.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty five, you'll start seeing these taller faregates on our system.
Speaker 5: Those taller faregates will first show up at some of the most troubled stations, like Pershing Square in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A ban on indoor and outdoor wood burning and much of southern California has been extended through tonight. The original ban, ordered by the South Coast Air Quality Management District was supposed to have expired earlier this week, but now it's scheduled until eleven fifty nine tonight. It includes non desert areas of La Riverside in San Bernardino Counties, all of Orange County. Holmes that rely on woodburning as the sole source of heat, low income households and those without access to natural gas are exempt. A new study shows the majority of US have financial secrets.
Speaker 10: Fifty eight percent of Americans say they have financial secrets, according to a new wallet hub survey, and nearly eighty percent more men than women have money secrets, be it about large purchases, savings, debt, or job status. A quarter of people say they lie about money regularly, fifty three percent of people say they'd split up or get divorced over financial problems, and a little more than ten percent see financial infidelity as worse than physical or emotional infidelity. It's probably higher if your secrets that you paid for the physical infidelity. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: That's one of the benefits of being single. Let's leave it at that. A day after the La City Council voted to make La a sanctuary city, LAPD chief Jim McDonnell is trying to reassure immigrant communities that they're not going to be targeted. McDonald says the department's policy since nineteen seventy nine has been to never stop or question somebody based on their immigration status. He adds that LAPD officers are not immigration agents. A judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by the City of La after thousands of photos of LAPD officers were released to the public. The Stop LAPD Spying Coalition put the photos in a searchable online database, prompting a lawsuit from the LA City Attorney's office. Dozens of undercover officers said their safety was jeopardized by the photos being published. The US has added a strong two hundred and twenty seven thousand jobs in November, in a bounce back from the October slowdown in job growth. Let's say good morning now two ABC's Will Gans, Good morning, Will, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 6: Happy Friday, too, ye, Happy Friday.
Speaker 1: So if you're going to the movies, Mowana II and Wicked are still going strong.
Speaker 6: They sure are, and they are both fantastic. I mean I've seen Wicked twice at this point that might just be I mean, once wasn't enough. I had to go back.
Speaker 1: I agree, even though it was super stupid long.
Speaker 6: I well, yeah, but you don't. It doesn't feel like that while you're watching it. It only feels like that when you get out of the theater and you're like, oh my god, what day is it.
Speaker 1: That's funny because the first time I saw it, I was like, going, well, this is good, but it's really long, And the second time I was just just mesmerized. By it because you see things the second time that you don't necessarily pick up on the first time.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent. There's lots of little like nods to the Wizard of Oz and there's foreshadowing to what's going to happen to some of the characters. Yeah, it's one of those films that like, every time you watch it, you can pick up on something different.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's a question for you, will Because we know that Mwana had a record breaking weekend the first weekend out, Wicked did as well the second weekend as it did the first weekend. So does that say something about Wicked versus molonacause they're both expected to still be strong this weekend, But as far as the fall off, are they saying whether they're expecting like Wicked to continue to do that.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean I think that it sort of goes to what you and I were just talking about, is that like this is a movie that people are seeing more than once, or maybe it's like Okay, I thought, you know, with my you know, with my friends and my were my own age, and then over the Thanksgiving weekend it was like, okay, now I have to bring my my my family to see this thing that I love so much. I don't think that either one of these movies is going to experience a significant drop off, especially because there's nothing like a Moana two that's going to threaten you know what I mean, Like, there's no big, big premieres this weekend. So I think that both of them are going to continue to rake in a lot of money and it'll be interesting to see what happens. And then you know, in a couple of weeks, Wicked is hosting those sing along specific thick showings. Oh yeah, so you know, yeah, which I think people will return for that too. So I don't see any signs of flowing down for either of these movies, and Wicked in particular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you're if you're on social media at all, I am. I know that the algorithms direct you to certain things that you're interested in, but I am just amazed at the sheer number of Wicked posts.
Speaker 6: It's like, oh my god, all.
Speaker 1: Things Wicked, which is you know, interesting. But anyway, if you're staying home this weekend and maybe going to stream something one, you can take a look at the Vatican.
Speaker 6: Yes, so Conclave is still playing in some theaters, but it's also available to stream at home now. And this is an insane cast. It's got Ray Fines, it's got Stanley Tucci, John Lisko, Isabella Rossolini, and lots of Oscar buzz around this movie. And it's basically the opening scene you see that the current pope has passed away, and so the next you know, hour and fifty minutes are about what goes on behind closed doors of the Vatican when they're trying to elect the new pope. And it's like a political thriller. It almost feels like you're watching the West Wing or something like that. But it's pretty gripping. And I watched it with my family over the Thanksgiving holiday and in the last scene, someone in my family gassed. No one is claiming ownership over who was so shocked that they gassed. I think it was my mom. She says it was my dad. But there's a good plot twist at the end too that sort of keeps things. Yeah interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you said it's still playing in a couple of theaters, but it really hasn't made much of a splash in theater. So is that sort of the wave of the future. Is that they're gonna try a theatrical release and then just say instead of making people wait, we're just gonna immediately put it out on the stream exactly.
Speaker 6: And still so right now, the rules with the Academy Awards are that the films have to spend a certain number of days in a certain amount of theaters. Ok So that's why you get films like this that will do well at the Oscars, making themselves release the film in theaters at least for a little bit before putting it on streaming. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And it's not streaming for free yet, it's rent to rent right exactly. Okay, And I think that makes sense because, like we were talking last week about movies and our movie habits and that kind of stuff. I don't go to as many movies, but I watch as many movies. I think that a lot of people we've just changed our habits.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I would say in some ways I watch more movies than I used to because of how quickly they're put onto streamers and how good they are, you know, like you're getting Oscar worthy films that you can watch on your couch, you know, pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, and then I want to touch on Star Wars because I tease that you had something for Star Wars fans too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So there's a new series. It's called The Skeleton Crew. The first two episodes came out this week on Disney Plus, and it's about four kids who get lost in the Star Wars universe and they're trying to find their way back to their home planet. And I think it's a great concept because we have all of these Star Wars films, and with the exception of like Young Anakin Skywalker, we really don't get a lot of kids in the Star Wars universe. So this is like sort of a family friendly Star Wars adventure. And Jude Law is in it as well, and it's getting great reviews. So I think anyone who's looking for their Star Wars fix this holiday season since we don't have a new movie, will love this new series, Skeleton Crew.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you just mentioned Jude Law. So it is a live action it's not animated.
Speaker 6: That's right. Oh cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's my big question because I I am much more likely to watch it if it's live action. And so are we going to see any other familiar characters or are they just in the universe.
Speaker 6: Hey, listen as much as digging as I can.
Speaker 4: Do you know that.
Speaker 6: Star Wars people have this stuff locked down so tight. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some familiar characters.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's on Disney Plus and the releasing it incrementally.
Speaker 6: I hate that exactly. I know they really test our patients sometimes, but I think you know, with something like this, that might be worth the wait.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds great, Will Ganz, thank you so much for the information. Appreciate it. Have a wonderful weekend. We'll talk to you next.
Speaker 6: Week, all right, Amy, take care.
Speaker 1: All right. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County South End. Weather from KFI. Morning fog and low clouds, pretty thick fog in some areas, then sunny skies, highs in the seventies at the beaches, seventies to low eighties for Metro LA Inlando c the Valleys and Inland Empire. Sixties in the Antelote Valley. Clear skies tonight with lows in the forties, sunny in a little bit cooler tomorrow, sixties at the beaches, seventies for METROLA, and Inlando c seventies to low eighties in the valleys in Ie and then we'll cool down more on Sunday, with highs topping out in the sixties to low seventies. It's forty nine in Los Alamitos, fifty and Coeal Beach forty seven in Santa Clarita, forty nine in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour news Room, four produce Ann and technical producer Kono, along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.