Speaker 1: Toxid. This is the seventy seven w ABC Mini Cast. All right, hi everybody, those of you are just yawning us. Where have you been?
Speaker 2: You can't be late for these things, you Know'll we go on the ar at six o'clock, right after cousin Vinnie. I'm my cousin Vinnie. And at six o'clock we go on and now it's time for our visit. We have weekly visits usually, right, and tonight's something very very special. You think of velvet, beautiful, relaxed, happy harmony and beautiful people, you know, you think about the fifth dimension, the fifth dimension, and we have on our phones. We have a conference call set up and we'll let me know, Kevin when the other guys joined us. We're gonna have We have Florence standing by and we are waiting for Maryland and Billy.
Speaker 1: Hi, Flora's you there.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 2: Oh, Florence, so nice talking to you.
Speaker 1: We're here, Oh oh you are?
Speaker 2: Oh you're everybody joined. Nobody told me so, Billy. Let's let's take a bold. This is an experiment for us. So we have Florence you there, say here.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: I feel like a teacher. Marilyn.
Speaker 3: Are you here, I'm here.
Speaker 2: Oh my gods, and Billy Iya, Billy, I heard you.
Speaker 1: Good, Hey, hail, hail, the gang's all here. Good.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad. This is like an experiment. You know, guys, we've never done this. We've we said are one call, and now we have you all in conference. Because you deal with a fifth dimension, you deal with a very different commodity, you deal with you you superstars. How you guys feeling? You got to be elated? Now I have in front of you, in front of me, your brand new album, which is more than an album. How you guys feeling about this?
Speaker 3: It's amazing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, I'll tell you what we got to do. I'm gonna say Florence, I'll say Maryland, and I'll say Billy. Is that okay? And so we won't talk over each other. This is a little rough because we're looking. Yeah, that's good. And now I feel like a school teacher. Okay, all right, so let's it. So Marylyn, I'm looking at this brand new box set which is historic. It looks like a history lesson and it was music that the Sunshine in the Soul City and Ben Albums sixty seven to seventy four. How do you feel about this, this magnificent new release fift Dimension, Marylynd, You're gonna tell you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's it's exciting.
Speaker 6: It's exciting. It's nice to see it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: This is this is a project that we worked on many years ago. But just to have it all together at one time in front of us, of each one of us, is amazing.
Speaker 1: Florence, how long did this project take?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. Well, you know, you know, the Rich Fruit was on together for ten years and it's been a long time since we've recorded together. It actually worked on this problem problem project.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure there were problems too. That's you were right, a Freudian slip.
Speaker 3: But you know, we're all all doing different things. I was still performing with the Fifth Dimension with other members and Marilyn Billy were doing their thing, and then our manager came by that why don't we put together, you know, a box set. People can hear the music that you did years ago. So we said, well, let's try it, and that's how it came about.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was wonderful. It's such beautiful. You know, it's not like a When I'm holding it, I know I can feel the vibes. It's more than a box set. It has historic significance because you guys gave us, gave this audience so much, and I know the audience said the same thing to you. So, Billy, how's your feeling. You're looking at the you look at the album box set? Look at those beautiful five people on there?
Speaker 1: What do you think? Picture is great?
Speaker 7: To tell you the truth, Brucie, I think they look pretty good.
Speaker 3: But I'm excited about.
Speaker 7: It because it's like sixty years worth of work that that the Pitt Dimension put together through the years, and it's all all put in a compilation set here where people can hear stuff that we did from nineteen sixty five to nineteen seventy five. So it's I'm very excited about it. And I've had a few people already tell me that they've got it and started listening to it.
Speaker 5: And they love it.
Speaker 4: That fabulous And also, gri aren't also, I think it's exciting to have the young people today who haven't even heard the fist dimentions of listening to this music because it's very.
Speaker 3: Different from the music of today. And I'm very proud of the music that we did. The harmonies and it's very positive music. So I'm excited to have the young people hear that type of music also.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know if music has it, you know, no matter what your age is the heart, the soul. There's bones and muscle and sinew in music. It's an intellectual thing. And I don't know if age has so much to do with it as the feeling and the soul that you put into something. So somebody, say who's twenty two, twenty three point thirty or somebody maybe in their eighties today will have that same gut feeling, you know, a feeling of love and romance and also the memories of course for older people. Well, and you have done it. So let's talk Florence. How did the fifth dimension that it's an unusual name. Let's let's get the basics here. How did you get the name?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, when we first got together, we called ourselves Diversatiles because there were five people with five very different voices. You know. We had Ron who had more of a classical sound, Billy was more R and B sound, Marilynd and I think we both had more of a a pop sound. So we called themselves Diversatiles. But then the record company came to us and said, well, we need something that's more. I don't know, it's different, and they we put several names in the hat, you know. And actually it was Ron Townsend who saw the fifth dimension because there are five of us and we have our dimension of music.
Speaker 1: M Well.
Speaker 3: Someone coined a phrase that I really liked. And because we within our shows we did all kinds of music, although our records were mainly pop, someone coined the phrase champagne soul. I like that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's pretty, you know that's that's that's fits Champagne soldier like that, Billy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I like it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it does. It fits the music physical. Where's Kevin. It's Kevin in the room.
Speaker 1: It's Kevin. Hey, Kevin. Do you have Heidi Ho for me? And do you have that?
Speaker 2: There's a Yeah, we're gonna let' see if we can dig that. I know you have a medley and this should be something. Yeah you do, all right, Billy, let's talk about this now. And Florence, you and I talked about this yesterday. I said to you, why do I know Heidi Heidi Ho? And you told me there's a photograph right over your mantelpiece with you and the guy that gave us Heidi Ho. What is that all about?
Speaker 3: Well, we were we were at a show. I was at a show and Camp Calloway and I got to dance with him.
Speaker 2: So Camp Calloway was the one that I mean, we I mean, I remember seeing that in black and white movies, et cetera. And you see and you hear Camp Countaway doing which became a classic so Billy in the album you set, Yeah, you selected Heidi O.
Speaker 1: Tell me about Heidi Heidi O. Why did you take that song?
Speaker 2: Do you remember who selected it?
Speaker 7: We loved it so much because it said a lot and uh and the harmonies, the harmonies, and it was just just perfect for the group. And uh, and we tried to get a little a little Ray Charles Field in it, you know, a little guttie feel in it too, so so kind of give it that the Champagne Souls.
Speaker 1: Sound, you know, right, You tell what you did.
Speaker 2: You took a Heidi hole must be my thirties or something of the nineteen thirties at least, and then you took it.
Speaker 5: And probably yeah, at least that long ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, at least, And then you guys poured some champagne on it and we got this.
Speaker 1: Let's where's I want to play it? All right, let's let's play a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of this.
Speaker 5: Would you?
Speaker 1: Would you? Would you give me permission to play a little Heidi Home? Yeah? Good so, cousins.
Speaker 2: This is Billy Davis Union and from the Fifth Dimension's brand new historic document that they call a box said, I call it a document the Fifth Dimension. Listen to this. Listen Heidi Hole and today with champagne on it. Hi there, Hi, they Hole. So that's from the duel album The Fifth Dimension. That is well, you know, I was just thinking, well, I was listening to that Lillian, Marilyn Florence, and that's what we're talking about, Billy Davis, You and you, we have a Florence LaRue and the Marilyn McCool The Fifth Dimension. Our loves our our next door neighbors. That's how I feel, you guys, next door neighbors with Cap Cali. I wonder how do you think Cap Callaway would feel about listening to Heidi Hole in the twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Six by you guys? What do you think? What do you think? It's said?
Speaker 5: I did get a kick out of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, I think. I think Tad Callaway would say that is very interesting, totally a totally different direction sound of the music that he came from. But you know, the Fifth Dimension we had our own sound and our own music, and I think that's that's one of the things that made us such an exciting group.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, well, you are absolutely originals. And yet you know what I loved about you because I saw you. But I'm a fan. I'm a big fan of girls, and I saw you a couple times in concert, and every time I saw you, I just felt as I said, oh, there are my neighbors, my next door neighbors. You feel so you make people feel comfortable. Guys, that's what it is. You have this comfort zone that is so amazing, absolutely amazing. So let's see, Billy, do you have a favorite to Fifth Dimension song? Curious about that? Of all the songs, do you have a favorite?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean you because of Rusie. You know, we did so many songs until uh, one of one of our favorites is leave a Little Room.
Speaker 2: And how about you, Marilyn, what do you have a favorite? And that's not fair to ask you this, but do you have a favorite thing, get a little bit something extra.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, there's there's so many songs and so many directions that the Fifth Dimensions has done because our voices were different, our sounds were different. We loved, we loved the music and the many ways that we were directed.
Speaker 5: We worked with some.
Speaker 6: Wonderful songwriters, and I think that was what was made what made the group so interesting, the fact that that our voices were so different and had such a different sound to each.
Speaker 5: One of us. What's your favorites?
Speaker 6: Oh my, okay, Billy just said yes, but you didn't answer the question. What was my favorite?
Speaker 5: Oh lord, okay, I had a few.
Speaker 3: I had a few.
Speaker 6: There was one called It'll Never Be the Same Again. I loved that one very much.
Speaker 5: And a Broken Wing Bird. I mean I could give you.
Speaker 6: Song after song.
Speaker 5: One song that we did with Aquarius Let the Sunshine In.
Speaker 6: That was one of our biggest hits, and it was it was just it went in a whole different direction. And you know, our listeners, our audiences, they never really knew exactly what they were going to get from us.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's what with the magic of the fifth mention. How about you, Florence, do you have a favorite.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, my favorite album and the album which was not our biggest seller, called The Magic Gardens. It was a beautiful album. Actually Jimmy Wabb wrote it and it was about a love a love relationship that he had with the young lady. And there there was a very interesting song when they called Rosecrans Boulevard, which is just beautiful, and the whole album I just really really like. And it's funny. I really enjoy sitting you're listening to this music, because you know, when when we're working, we're out doing other things. I don't really get a chance to sit and listen to us I love. I'm very crouded and listen to our harmony.
Speaker 2: Well, well that's that's what makes it such magic. And then when when an artist like you and stars like you says you, I like to listen to my view, listen to the music, and first of all, you learned to listen to enjoy it. But you learn every time you listen to something. It's like me, every time I listen to one of my shows, I learned something. You never you never really get full with learning. You learn something every single time. Well, you know Maryland, really yeah.
Speaker 3: Magic Guard album that I like is one of the Worst that Could Happen, which we didn't release as a single, but the Brooklyn Bridge recorded it because we had another song out at the time. But Rose Fans Boulevard and the Worst that Could Happen there two of my favorites to mention songs.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, the great songs, really great songs, you know, Marilyn and Billy Florence. We had them at one of my shows at the P and C Center at the Theater in the New Jersey and very.
Speaker 1: Different, very different to beautiful. It wasn't that a beautiful.
Speaker 2: With thousands and thousands and thousands of people just they just listen.
Speaker 1: Nobody blinked.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you obviously you were aware, you were aware of the audience. Send me some big audience and nobody blinked for me. But he just and he just stayed and they were mesmerized.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was really nice.
Speaker 7: That was a show we did with Darlene Love.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I buta you know that is I hope that we can have you.
Speaker 1: Some eight Florence.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do I say anything I shouldn't say, but is there any possibility someday that see the three of you together.
Speaker 1: Is there any any thought about that?
Speaker 3: You never know, we thought, you know, we thought of it. We'll see what happens. You put it to all in God's tams.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think, well.
Speaker 3: You'll be together to do something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, if you have anything quickly, you'd like to say to the audience. So the three of you, this audience, that's something with you, Billy.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd just like to thank the audience for for for supporting us for all.
Speaker 7: These years and and just just being there to to listen to our music and that we've we've had a love affair with our audience. So it's it's really been good. I mean, we have been truly blessed, and I'd just like to thank them for supporting us all these years.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. What about.
Speaker 5: This this entire project.
Speaker 6: We've been so pleased about it because, uh, it's it's a wonderful uh example of the sound that came from the group, from the fifth dimension, and the different voices, the different the different styles of our singing and our and our art. And we're just really pleased that this project is out because we feel like this album, this whole album project is a beautiful.
Speaker 5: Example of the work that we have done over the over the how many how many years now, baby, over the years for sixty years, you know.
Speaker 6: And so we feel so good about it and we just we we feel like the people will be mesmerized and amazed by the sound that came from the group.
Speaker 1: We all loved it. And Florence, how about you, would you like to say some give the.
Speaker 3: Buildings we know because xuse me. First of all, I could thank God for the opportunity to because when I joined I wasn't even a singer. I was planning on, you know, doing more acting. So I thank God for the opportunity of having a career in music and singing. And I really what I really enjoyed doing, uh after I got over you know, putting my ego so I'm trying to you know, sing and sound good. I really enjoyed communicating with the audience, with the people. I enjoyed the fact that our music lifted them up. And sometimes, as a matter of fact, sometimes you see young people there who really didn't want to come to the didn't know anything about the fifth dimension, this comthing that you're Then after the show, they come, hey, you guys were great. We really enjoyed. So we really have the chance to bring together ages, did people, different races, different ages, nationalities. It was, it was really a wonderful opportunity. And I do thank my audience for, as Billy's Maryland said, for supporting us and for supporting our music.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thank you so much. Guys.
Speaker 2: Listen wonderful Billy Billy Davis, and you, Marilyn McCool, Florence LaRue, thank you, long may you wave in Florence.
Speaker 1: I listen to what you said.
Speaker 2: There's almost a promise there that maybe something would happen. Tell you what we're gonna do now, Kevin, let's take that break, guys, thank you so much. We love you, We love you. I love you all right, and let's take a little break now, and then we're gonna hear the medley of the great music that they gave us, that Champagne, Champagne music.
Speaker 1: I'll be back in a moment.