Speaker 1: It's nice eyes, Dan Ray unknowing you Mazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we have spent two hours and we're going to continue to talk about this because I think we've had some interesting callers, and we've had some different voices, and we've had some familiar voices, but we've had more different voices than familiar voices. And I thank everyone. We began talking about this. At nine o'clock last night, the Brockton City Council voted to being homeless encampments in the City of Brockton. According to a city council with whom we spoke earlier this evening, our council is Shirley Asak, there's a group of about fifty sixty maybe seventy, chronically homeless people who are basically camping on public property, and they are doing everything else human beings do in private on public property.
Speaker 3: If you get my drift, which raises.
Speaker 2: The question of what should be done, what can be done? Well, City of brock then has taken a step, and whether you agree or disagree, let's talk about it. Six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Those lines are full. The only line that has opened a six one seven nine three one, ten thirty. We've had a variety of viewpoints, which is really gratifying, and the lines are now awful. So let's keep rolling and we're going to go to Matt. Matt, you are first up this hour at nightside.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Matt, Hey, Dan, how you done? You're just great man? What are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 4: All? Right?
Speaker 5: So I want to get a couple of and I want to be quick so everybody else can get in. Let me make a couple of quick comments. In college and growing up, not only in nass but down in Florida, I've seen the opioid academic affect many many people. Let me state I think the idea one of your callers made, because there is one in the United States since twenty twenty two in New York and injection clinic. Now at that clinic, I just want to be clear being no nurses or anybody are injecting or bringing the substances to you. But if you were an overdose there, you are supervised. And there were no deaths over a year and a half span except when they were closed. And this was in the city of New York. I don't know which euro occurred, but when they were closed. It did, so I want to say that that's an idea. However, with that being the oversight, I think that police, you know, down a mass ad and down in other places and stuff like that, that alcoholism and things of other you know, just impoverishment or just not be able to find job placement. There are people who might be rightfully unemployed and homeless, who maybe drug addicts or who may not be.
Speaker 6: It's not my.
Speaker 5: Place to decide which of that sixty people are in Brockton or not because I don't know. But the police will chase you out.
Speaker 7: The police will chase you out.
Speaker 5: People sleep on the train on the key. This is not new that Broughton saying that brought and they're rough one of the rougher neighborhoods in the state. I wouldn't say that that's new that they're saying that. Now, will you know, you know, detain you because there are many people who will find that a natural benefit, people who really dont people who are truly homeless. And it's to be a very cold as it's starting to and for a couple of months, you know, a public intoxication misdemeanor charge is not going to be a turn for a fifty year old. We may have five or six to these charges already and now get you know, three squares. My bottom line is that we need to address the main problem in the state with whatever it may be. And I don't think it's during incarceration. But I don't think it's through a handout either, making it easy to say that you could be homeless. But the bottom line is that what Broxton is doing is not the answer. And I think that they ultimately need to have funding where it's put up on a certain level equal to the level with that right now or less defined proper for housing, or at least allow these people to encamp. Thank you, Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: All right, Matt. Interesting points.
Speaker 2: You made a number of points there and some of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting points. Thanks Matt, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, keep growing here.
Speaker 2: Let's it will continue along. I don't want want to get to people. Mark and Muburn. You have been patient, you waited through the news. You're next one.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 8: I go ahead, Mark, I Dan. I just want to say you've got the best job on the planet. I would love to get into that anyway.
Speaker 3: I got to be honest with me.
Speaker 2: You have to learn to listen, and you also have to know when to try to move the conversation.
Speaker 3: So it's, yes, agreed, challenge to it.
Speaker 8: There's a challenge, agreed. Well, here's something that might open up a whole new can of worms to keep the conversation going, which is what we like.
Speaker 3: Love it? Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 8: Yes. Well, first of all, the big issue is funding. Where's this money going to come from? And nobody wants to raise tax revenue. However, there's a lot of text, there are a lot of subsidies that have already been given out, and personally, I'm an atheist, so I think you can see where this is going. I would say to the churches, if you want to keep your tax exempt status, you use some of your buildings, your basements or whatever and help us with this problem. And it could actually be a good thing because churches have a fantastic way of getting people into recovery. They can recruit people for the clergy, and I think another solution might be people who are well enough to enter into military service if they can get a special dispensation or whatever blah blah blah, or another like a city year kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you'll say, raise three questions. Okay, respond churches do a lot of this stuff already. It's to compel at church. I do think that they you could use that as a little bit of leverage in terms of how much the churches. The churches are not taxed and they do not pay. Even schools are taxed, and and most schools and universities pay a payment in lieu of taxes, churches are not taxed.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you can use that as leverage on churches.
Speaker 8: I'm a big fan of removing tax exempt status for religion because I don't want to subsidize it.
Speaker 3: Totally. Get it, totally.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the churches do great work in terms of educating people and in terms of hospitals, so they don't write a check every year. Private institutions do Harvard and MIT and BU and Northeastern, they will write a check and they will also do like scholarships. But but churches are loath to write a check, and they will point to all the good they do.
Speaker 3: So that's number one.
Speaker 2: In terms of the military, the military, they have become a very professional branch and they do not view their their purpose as social service. And the idea about you know, the old days, it used to be that someone got in trouble, the kid was eighteen years old, and the jander say, oh look you're either going to go to jail, you're going to join the military.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, a kid that the.
Speaker 3: Military could deal with.
Speaker 2: But if you say someone who's drug addicted and say to the military, we want you to kind of work with this guy, that's gonna be tough, that's well.
Speaker 8: But no, but the but the brain surgeon, the neurosis. You know, there are going to be some people who I think could be put into that, pushed in that direction, who can be become I can't think of the word right now because I'm cold medication, but you know.
Speaker 3: It can be rehabilitated.
Speaker 8: You mean, yes, yes, absolutely, well.
Speaker 2: In terms in terms of the story that Mike told from Lynn, I think that's who you're referring to.
Speaker 8: Fantastic story. By the way, well it.
Speaker 2: Is a fantastic story. But you have to realize that one is the person as a lawyer now I speak to you. One is the is the the person who claims to reinsurch in telling Mike the truth.
Speaker 3: So you have those sorts of but are the people whose lives fall apart.
Speaker 2: Sure, yes, absolutely, there are lawyers who end up with alcohol serious alcoholic drug problems. Absolutely absolutely those people can be rehabilitated. But if you're some fifty year old who's a drug addict at this point and you've been involved with drugs for a.
Speaker 8: Long time, yeah, well that's why I was thinking something like Peace Corps or City Corps or something in that perspective.
Speaker 2: City here, those are all great programs, and if you can find someone who's willing to participate in that program with some discipline, I think those are all good suggestions. I mean that I'm not patronizing you here. I think those are all No.
Speaker 8: I understand, yeah, I understand it. And I was trying to think outside the box in ways that will not cause more capital, an extra outlay of public funding, if you know what I'm saying, use the infrastructure that's already there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you did think outside the box. And by the way, the public funding isn't going to be there. I mean, we're looking we have a trillion a thirty six thirty seven trillion dollar deficit debts, a federal debt, meaning that's what oh, a deficit is how much money from year to year. So our federal deficit is maybe a couple of trillion, but you got to put that on top of the thirty five trillion.
Speaker 3: That's why you get to thirty seven. It's like absolutely right, those credit cards.
Speaker 8: And the question is is you know, are we going to be facing austerity measures like Ireland did a few years ago. But that's another discussion. For another reason, it is yes, it is.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is your first.
Speaker 8: Time calling, right, No, I've called a few times, and I under the mistaken impression that I had to come up with something that would solve the problem, not to keep the discussion going. Now I realize part of your job is keeping this discussion going and introducing new ideas and looking at new perspectives so that the discussion is continued and even impossibly deepened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you just helped me. You helped me.
Speaker 8: Thank you. Okay, Like I said, I think you've got the best job on the planet.
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask it. I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, I think the best job on the planet, pot probably is playing center field for the Red Sox or something. But I have a little past aage. What type of work do you do? You sound like a really bright guy, well spoken. What sort of work do you do generally.
Speaker 8: We talked before. I'm a rare coin dealer, Oh right, right, right, yeah, yeah, I'm a paralegal. I have a degree in English literature. I've studied history, I've done a little bit of everything in my fifty eight years, and right now I'm dealing with rare coins and sports cards have kind of gotten away from me. You know.
Speaker 9: The the market oftened, the market what the market is softening because of the economic woes, So your precious metals and things like that, and coins are much more it's a much more stable market.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The coin market fascinates me too, because I'm somebody who I'm always looking at coins. Even when I find the weak pennies from nineteen forty three, I get it, and they're not worth They're worth maybe a nickel maybe, So maybe.
Speaker 8: You never know when you're going to find a nineteen fourteen with D penny or nineteen fifty five double dye or nineteen twenty one. There are a few key dates even in lower grades that yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Guess what, You're gonna spend a lot of time looking.
Speaker 8: Okay, well, that's part of the fun of the hobby you know either that are sitting in front of the TV right.
Speaker 3: Thanks Mark, I appreciate your call was great.
Speaker 8: A pleasure talking with you right.
Speaker 3: Back at you. You could do this job, by the way.
Speaker 8: You're you're you would love you to.
Speaker 3: I know, I believe me, so don't take my job for me. But but you.
Speaker 8: Could do what A DJ in college as well?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: WRU Union College, Oh, Union College, great in.
Speaker 3: The the the the alba mater of Chester.
Speaker 8: A Arthur a Arthur. Wow, you get twenty extra points for that.
Speaker 2: There are not many talk show hosts of America who can cite Chester A. Arthur from his statue at Union College.
Speaker 8: But and one of the least controversial presidents in the history of our country.
Speaker 3: This is true, This is true.
Speaker 2: But it was a it was an interesting time period in the eighteen eighties, Oh definitely.
Speaker 8: I mean that was right after reconstruction kind of collapsed. And that's another subject for another time.
Speaker 3: Thanks Mark, We talk soon, Okay. I love the call.
Speaker 8: I look forward to it. Have a wonderful night.
Speaker 3: Back at you.
Speaker 2: Okay, got to take a break. I got Mary. Actually we've got Mark and Cambridge coming up. I got Karen out in Wisconsin. I got Manny and Gloucester. I got Mike and Lynn, and I got some room for you if you want to give us a call.
Speaker 3: Six thirty is the only line open. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Next up is Mark, a different Mark. This one's in Cambridge, Mark and Cambridge. Next on Nightside. Your thoughts, my friend, go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Thank you Dan for taking my call. This is Market Central Square, Cambridge. Yeah, I agree with. I agree with the city councils in blockton YEP and just like Cambridge. Like I said, I live in Central Square and they just recently removed the benches from the bus depots because everybody's hanging out there. That's that that is not hitting on MBTA. They're hanging out there. They're doing open market drug use.
Speaker 6: I mean it, mass.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, Mark, and all you know tell me. I know you'll tell me the truth. Are you you know you selling here a young guy? Uh So I'm asking you. Do you ever feel intimidated as you're walking, you know, through Central Square at any different time during the day or do these folks just kind of state to themselves or do they Are they ever intimidating?
Speaker 7: Well not to me. I'm a big guy. I'm six feet two inches three hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 2: You could play for the Patriots, man, you could play for the Patriots.
Speaker 3: They they were looking for some offensive line. But we could have got you a job.
Speaker 7: You know, why why? I just need to get knees.
Speaker 10: I get too knee placements.
Speaker 7: Ie to work out every day. But anyway, just recently, just Saturday, I I one in my building. I'm frankly star. I went in my building and I'm like, what are you doing through? I mean, oh, I'm looking for somebody. No, no, no, no, you trying to take packages. So I in the the you know, the the sogeant in the Cambridge Police department which covers Central Square, and he came and escorted them out. I mean, you don't wear gloves in the summertime, right, I mean, but you know they they defecate there by the management office, they urinate, you know. I mean, it is a problem. I mean, everybody has untold story. I understand that, I get it, but I mean on this, I mean, I mean, I think it's a good idea for Boughton and you know what, they shouldn't acted in Cambridge. I mean I just went down math and cast. Yeah there, I'm a tow truck try without math and cast, and they got the jersey value from math and cast back to hand the street, which but with that, they're making people walk onto men in the cast, which I don't think you should be allowed because I mean, person, it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: You know, we thought that that had been solved. Remember, they've been a big show of it. They sent the police down there one night. They took all of the test out and my understanding, I haven't been back there, but my understanding is that's pretty much back.
Speaker 7: All they did was just spread it out. They were massive casts. The other sweet they're off of massat by U Haul. They're over there. The women are doing prostitution. I see this. I'm always in the area anyway. I'm a tow truck operator, so I'm always doing triple A cars. I've seen them there. They're there and Cambridges. I mean, at least they have the warming center in Central Square. But for most people that want to go in, it's that don't want to go in. And when I come home at three o'clock in the morning, they're still out there by Citizen Bank in Central Square, mass AFT.
Speaker 10: I mean a few of them.
Speaker 7: There's fuel them at the Bank of America.
Speaker 3: Shame on, Shame on Cambridge. The cambridge doesn't move them and say, come on, guys, let's go. It's three o'clock in the morning. Time to go home.
Speaker 7: Nope, they don't do it. Nope, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: So you're you're a tow truck You're a tow truck driver.
Speaker 2: With your size, no one's gonna no one's gonna fight with you when you hook that car.
Speaker 7: I assume no, I mean now, and then you get somebody else to argue. But like I said, I do tip away. So I'm not really into the trust pass.
Speaker 3: You're not a repo guy. God, you got it right.
Speaker 7: Hey, darn listen. I appreciate you taking my car, but like I said, it is a it's a it's a it's a it's a country epidemic. It's just everywhere.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 2: But let me tell you, I I I really appreciate your perspective, and I appreciate you calling my program, and please continue to do so.
Speaker 6: Okay, I won't thank you very much, Thank you much.
Speaker 7: Have a good night.
Speaker 2: All right, buddy, all right, let me get Karen in Wisconsin. Karen, I'm going to get you in here before the news.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight.
Speaker 11: I'm fine, very sad.
Speaker 2: I assume that that has that relates to the election.
Speaker 11: No, what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: It's just okay, good.
Speaker 11: Got you. Well, yeah, I'm sad about that. You know, I can't do two things once. I'm just on your topic. I've said this before, and I was part of it in the it was the eighties, but there was help, and the funding was taken away. Now at this point we've got I don't know where the funding comes from, but you've got to make choices between you know, you've got to fund and help people and build places to help them, or you've got this problem to deal with. And this is what you've got. And so I know a woman that in Met State, she drank so bad that her whole jaw was so shut, and they finally committed her for a year. And the crime was because she couldn't quit drinking and she was cost you know, she was a liability to herself and everyone else. So there was help then, and now there isn't, and you've got to make choices, get rid of you know what, make the bike pass skinnier then and put some funding into helping because otherwise this is all you've got and we're just going to argue over what to do with them. You know the problem, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: The problem is when you make those choices, you say to yourself, Okay.
Speaker 3: Do we keep pouring money down a hole in the ground.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't you know the problem with folks who have addictions, and I have plenty of friends who have had addictions and plenty of friends who have those addictions. You've got to want to do it, and there should be programs available. But I don't think you can force people to do it. I think people have to come to that realization themselves. That's been the experience I've had.
Speaker 11: Well, they do, and they do, but there there comes a point where you can you can lock them up and put them in you know, and lock them up and you know, put them in a program by locking them up, and maybe if that goes under vagrancy or you can I got.
Speaker 3: No, I get it.
Speaker 2: You get the Civil Liberties Union coming in and say that that law is arbitrary, vague, arbitrary, and capricious, and they throw some lingo in there and the judge says, yeah, that law is unconstitutional.
Speaker 11: And then well, I just know what I went through, and there were detoxes and there was help and tell the funding.
Speaker 2: And I'm happy for you, Karen, I really am. And I'm happy that you had the courage to call and basically testify that that you that you have somehow come out the under end of this business.
Speaker 11: And I just feel bad for you, know, I know there are people that don't want help and you can't and then at some point you force them with the law and you've got to just decide where to put the money or you got this problem. And there you go. I don't want to keep competing. Okay, thank you, good night, Thanks thank okay, you too.
Speaker 3: Okay. One line at six one seven, two four ten thirty. One line at six one seven, nine three thirty.
Speaker 2: Uh the only line open now with six one, seven, nine ten thirty. The lines have been full all night. Just keep trying. We'll be back on Nightside right after the news break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Way Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're going up to Gloucester to see Many Many. When' they going to get this strikeover with?
Speaker 3: Manny? What's going on up there?
Speaker 10: I know it.
Speaker 4: Well, it's uh they're going since Carolyn Kirk was in anyway. But about the lady Margaret. I loved Margaret talking about not only did she knit something, but it was like crocheade Margaret. She was a wonderful woman listening to her.
Speaker 3: But yeah, which which station will you listen to your?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Many Many.
Speaker 2: I don't think I had a Margaret on tonight. Are you talking about my show or another show?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: The woman that just spoke before the commercial break?
Speaker 2: Oh, Karen Karen O, Karen, I'm sorry, that's okay, Karen from Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you said Margaret, I'm saying, g who's me talking about? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Man, I'm sorry, but yeah, I'm from the seventies and stuff. And I did that spin drive thing that she's trying to cover for that. Like I said, she didn't knit. I mean she actually crocheted a net around them people. But it was a freedom of choice. In nineteen seventy two, I found out what a four year was for them of information when I went to Bridgewater State College. My friends were there. To be an engineer, I had to have the greef, so I had to start there. And I learned how to turn the front of a bicycle around and take the tire off and hoist the tag of beer up to the third floor.
Speaker 2: These are things you learned in college many there. They're essential for life. These are life lessons.
Speaker 4: I did the boy of request after I did a spriend spin dry in Beverly. I think it was called I forget the name of it, but I have no.
Speaker 3: Idea what to spend many.
Speaker 4: I may have lived in the seventies when what she was talking about. What they're all talking about. All your calls are talking about getting help, whether it's treated as an addiction or a disease.
Speaker 2: But I've never heard of I mean, you know, I know what a spin dry is a in terms of drug what's a spin drive?
Speaker 3: What's that mean?
Speaker 4: You go into a detox and you come out, they give your Because I did, they give you a librium. It was so funny. I said, what are the rails on the wall for? And the guy says, you'll find out, and after you do your medications, you need those rails on the walls.
Speaker 2: So the room is spinning. I get it. Okay, now, okay.
Speaker 4: They had those back in the seventies and they relied on not the world. They didn't have the World Health Organization back then. I fed the New England Journal of Medicine the junior version and you can check me on this, but it still says that it's treated as if it was a disease. It's not a disease, but in the eighties they created it as a disease to sound like it. And that's why I because I did the A eight the twelve step group meetings. There, whether you're at the photo photography there shooting the picture down your pants, or whether you're drinking or doing drugs, it's all free of my choice. Hey, I'm up there were Charlie toolpal. It's all afraid of my choice.
Speaker 3: Charlie manny, I'm just losing a little bit. Who's Charlie?
Speaker 4: Oh your dog?
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, Charlie the dog. Yeah. Well, Charlie.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is, what I'm saying is uh, I.
Speaker 2: Thought you were telling me you were up in heaven? Would would I thought you were calling from heaven?
Speaker 3: Many here for a.
Speaker 4: Second, I'm a science engine there of the most Roman Catholic, and I'm also laid up with broken neck, back and cancer and all kinds of stuff like this is already before if I go back to the original part, what I'm saying is about like your primary care doctor. A lot of these people do this on their free will. Because I've seen people. I was at the nuclear missile site, the Nike village place in Topsfield for six months because when I come home from the Navy, I got in trouble with a girl. There are.
Speaker 3: Too much Were you on drugs when you were at the nuclear I got.
Speaker 4: To drink and when I came home, but I looked out of that one to the Nike village up in top Field. I've met some people that actually do this for a living. They actually go homeless and they're like doing it. And I've had friends like you say, you're on drugs and stuff. I don't throw rocks at them. They don't. They come knocking at my door eleven o'clock that night. I give them a fight all a bill or a pack of cigarettes. I've seen them go through it all.
Speaker 3: You've had an interesting life. Many you should write a book here.
Speaker 12: I think if you explain me back, all that money should go back into the old fashioned detok centers that they used to have, and then to.
Speaker 4: Go around the corner and come back to our mayor and our chief of police about how we have these people on town trying to go to school and have lunches and stuff, and the teachers on strike. I mean, that's where everything starts his education.
Speaker 3: I hate to do this to you, but many got pack lines.
Speaker 2: I'm going to let you go for now, but you keep calling the show, okay, because you're you're one.
Speaker 3: Of my more interesting callers. That's for sure. You've had you have had a life experience like none other.
Speaker 2: I now know. I now know what this what a spin dry is. I learned something tonight, Thanks Manny.
Speaker 4: And if you want to know something else, look up many roaches special needs dances. So I've been around the special needs people with autism.
Speaker 10: And all that.
Speaker 3: All right, man, you got you got the water front cover.
Speaker 2: Man, you gotta run, I gotta run. Thank you much, my friend. Have a great night. Good night, okay, Mike and Lynn. Mike, you were the second Mike and Lynn tonight.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Mike and Lynn, see you brother. How you doing doing great?
Speaker 3: What's on your mind? Mike?
Speaker 6: I don't stand this man talking about what he was talking about.
Speaker 8: A lot of.
Speaker 6: It don't make no sense.
Speaker 2: Uh, Which which person you're talking about? The gentleman just before you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, Yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Was talking about a lot of different stuff. But what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 6: What I want to talk about? Talk about the effect, the tea case.
Speaker 10: They're good people, the good woman.
Speaker 6: Who's who?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I'm just Mike, I think we got a bad connection. Who are the good women you talking about?
Speaker 6: I'm talking about K T K. And I'm talking about the woman. They look up for you kids and Mikes and they do the right job.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will take that into consideration. I appreciate you taking the time to call. Thanks Mike. All right, let me take a quick break here. All of a sudden, I got a couple of lines open six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty one at six one, seven nine. I didn't quite get exactly what Mike was saying, but he was six inct. We'll be back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, you wanna get the train back on track. Here, ladies and John, let's go to Christine and Denim. Christine, you were next on nights side.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to hear from you. Christine, go right ahead.
Speaker 13: You had some couple of worners there before.
Speaker 7: Huh, Well, there.
Speaker 3: Are different perspectives. We always enjoyed different perspectives. Let's put it like that. Christine.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I was just you know, thinking like, what about the hospitals that have closed. Can't they rehire the staff and have the homeless going to the hospitals that are now closed or the churches something.
Speaker 2: The problem is that there's a lot of people who are homeless who enjoy living outdoors. There there are people there are they will do every year they'll do these.
Speaker 3: These surveys in Boston. They do this what they call the census. They try to find that people are homeless. And a lot of these.
Speaker 2: People say that they believe that, you know, that when they're in a in a shelter, that they don't know who's next to them, and they're they fear a lot of people just want to be left alone. And those are the people who stay outside. And we've talked, you know, to some of the street workers who will tell you that that there are people who just would prefer to be left alone, and they that they fear, they feared the other homeless people.
Speaker 3: So it's tough. I mean, it's it's tough. And then you have the behavior that was described to us earlier tonight out of Brockton. How can a community tolerate that? I don't think.
Speaker 13: That's I don't know. And I've press from the nursing home, people in the nursing home, the workers that stay there. In the next couple of years, they've heard they're going to stop putting the homeless and the nursing homes among all the other elderly people, which I think is scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope they they They did something like that during HOVID in COVID, remember, they took patients who were COVID positive and intermissed them in nursing homes, particularly in New York in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: And it cost a lot of it costs a lot of lives.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Christine, Yeah, yeah, I hope to god they won't do this. Damp I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I'm totally with you.
Speaker 13: They've got to do something, though, I don't know. All these hospitals now that are now closed. I don't know. Could they do something I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, it's cost a lot of money to reopen the hospital.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, the Seward Hospital story was a horrific hospital story.
Speaker 3: They're trying to get those hospitals back up online.
Speaker 2: Look Norwood Hospital, which is far from you, it closed because of the floods of a couple of years ago, three years ago, never reopened.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, a lot of you know, Look, we got.
Speaker 3: To get our act together.
Speaker 2: We're we're in deep in debt, and we and we have more problems than we have money to solve those problems.
Speaker 3: So somehow we got to figure out our priorities.
Speaker 13: The whole thing is closed.
Speaker 2: The borders, well that's a factor, and I think you're going to see the borders closed, at least from what it looks like with President Trump's cabinet appoint Ye. They were talking about that down in down in Brockton, that a lot of the shelters are full because migrants have come in. They're they're there, and the the the traditional American homeless are the ones who are left out in the cold. Thank you, Christine, talk soon, Okay, appreciate it you.
Speaker 3: Too. Let me go to Robin Boston, Rob you next time nights.
Speaker 14: I go right ahead, Rob, Hey, Dan, I uh, you know, I think about these things, and uh, it comes to mind. We have a situation that it takes a village. Now I believe that we should make this village and and and and make it a community where people like this lady that come out of the supermarket in Mall Than the other day and ask me for some money for some foo for her and her dog. And I wanted to give it to her, but uh, I knew that she had like one tooth and what the money was not going to go into food. I offered her some food, some tuna, fish and pineapple, and then she told me she couldn't eat and her dog was sick. And I wanted to give it her five bucks. But this girl was about seventy pounds. And this is everywhere we always was.
Speaker 3: How was that girl?
Speaker 14: He was going to have maybe thirty poof unbelievable and she got to weighed about seventy five pounds Dan, and.
Speaker 3: She still a life expectancy.
Speaker 2: She's probably got a life expectancy of about five years when you think about.
Speaker 14: It, well, and and finding somebody like that two hundred dollars or two hundred and fifty dollars, it's not going to get paid. It's not going to do any good except put more stress on them. We need to take this billion dollars a month that was spending on newcomers, and we need to build this village, and we need to take care of our own people that are walking around the streets like at Melania Calf Picture someplace like. You just get some bull nooses, clear out the trees, You build this facility, You teach them carpentry or sewing or a trade. You know, you have like a closed community just for our homeless and and drug effected. We're burying three hundred people across the country a day from from from fentanyl alone. We don't take care of our own, but we come up with a billion dollars a month in Massachusetts. It's not what I want my tax money to go to. I want my tax money to go to the homeless and and and the and the ill people from from mental illness or whatever you want to call it, substance abuse. It's it's it's it's all could be fixed. There's money for everything, except what we should be spending it on.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think your points. I wish it called early because we could have a much longer discussion about that. But I agree on what you're saying is we have to figure out what our priorities are. We don't have enough money for everything, and we don't have enough money for a billion dollars a year for people who have come here illegally. And it's not a billion. No, wait, it's not a billion a month. No, it's not. It's a billion a year in Massachusetts. So I just you know, I'm gonna be honest with you, simple, as simple as that.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rob, I appreciate you call very much, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 14: All right, Jan Sorry I got the number wrong, but you know, no, No, the.
Speaker 2: Point you're the point you're making, the substitutive point you're making, is true, and that is we have to decide where will our priorities take us.
Speaker 3: It's as simple as that.
Speaker 14: I'm and I should decide where I want my tax money to go.
Speaker 2: Well, the way you do the way you do that, Bob, The way you do that is to vote and get people in office whose priorities are similar to yours. I mean, that's what just happened to this election. Okay, so I voted, let's see what happens. Okay, thank you man, I appreciate it. I got one more call. I gotta get to job. Hey, talk to you soon. Great night.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Let me wrap it up here with Justin from Quincy. Justin, You're lucky you just called in. You didn't didn't even have to wait. Justin, go right ahead, you're next on nice side.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I don't know.
Speaker 10: I don't know how I feel about it. I think, like you said earlier, a lot of these homeless people, if you think about it, they were all given opportunity, had one chance or another. A lot of them weren't given housing, they weren't given all the medical stuff, everything that they needed. But if you think about it, a lot of them squandered it. That's why the homeless in the first place. If you're thinking about uestions. Yeah, well, I understand that there's some people that, yeah, there's there's unfortune and bad luck. But I live in the city and I dealt with a lot of those people, and it seems to me, like, like you said, you could give them the house and you can give them all the help that you want, but a lot of them are there by choice.
Speaker 2: There are people, there are people who would prefer to live that lifestyle, and in a free country that's permitted. There's other countries around the world where they would be thrown in jail and treated pretty badly. That's not the United States of America.
Speaker 3: And at the same time, I don't think their lifestyle their lifestyle.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm saying when they're outrageous, lifestyle starts to impact your family and your lifestyle and my family and my lifestyle. I think society needs to say, wait a second, this is a step too far.
Speaker 10: You know, I agree.
Speaker 3: All right, Hey, justin thanks very much.
Speaker 2: You ended on a very rational note tonight, and I mean you ended my show on a rational note, and I thank you for that.
Speaker 10: Thank you, sir, Thank you. I appreciate for having my call.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you call on. Thanks again. All right, Well, it was a wild night.
Speaker 2: We were going to talk about the president's cabinets selections. We'll get to that tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Night.
Speaker 2: Okay, this was three great hours, in my opinion of radio, A wide variety of phone calls and that's what Nightside is all about. I want to thank everyone. I think it was the best show well the week. Rob Brooks, thank you very much, Mariita, thank you very much. All End as always, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's what my pal Charlie Ray is, who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's what all your pets are who had passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. I'll see again on Facebook and about two minutes just go to Facebook night Side with Dan Raeg and we'll say hello and I'll see Themorrow night at eight o'clock.
Speaker 3: Have a great Thursday, everybody, Dan Ray for Nightside. Thanks Rob