Speaker 1: Hello, this is June Lockhart. You may remember me as doctor Marie Robinson from Lost in Space and you're listening to The Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen to the exciting show that we call The Doctor Sky Show, heard around the nation and around the world. And we'd like to, of course thank our flagship radio station KFNX News Talk Radio eleven hundred AM in Phoenix, Arizona. And I'd be remiss if I didn't thank our producer, Richard Dugan of radio station k ZSB AM twelve ninety in Santa Barbara, California. The Doctor Sky Show concerns great guest and great guest, ladies and gentlemen, from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, with celebrity guests in the mix. Today, ladies and gentlemen, a phenomenal guest once again on The Doctor Sky Show, A legend of both stage and film, will be speaking in just a few moments with actress June Lockhart. June Lockhart has played not one, but two classic TV moms. First, she was Timmy Martin's mom in Lassie, and then in the nineteen sixties she played doctor Maureen Robinson on the campy favorite Lollston Space, a very popular show. We're excited to talk to June Lockhart today as she celebrates eighty years as a professional actress here in January twenty fourteen. With that, would like to have aready welcome, of course, from myself and the entire audience, Welcome June Lockhart to the Doctor.
Speaker 1: That's a lovely introduction.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, June, thank you so much for being here. I'm so fascinated about the story that we're going to hear about today. You, of course born into the business of show business, so to speak, getting involved as a young child with your mom and dad.
Speaker 1: Describe that, well, I should really say, but not of the business, because my father insisted that I get a good education before I went onto contract. And any films that I did, the first one I did was Christmas Carol with Them, which shows every year on Turner Classic Movies, and I played Belinda in it, and they were both mister and missus Bob Cratchett. But any films that I did subsequently were done because they were first class of productions, wonderful opportunities and a grand moment in which to see how the grown up world worked, but he was absolutely insistent that I not go through the studio school system, which is not really sure a good way for any child to get a good education.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and again we salute Teen Lockhart and Kathleen Lockhart here on the show. Very important of course in your Parents described to us you played opposite well your parents in the film version of a Christmas Carol that we were talking about too.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I just said.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, just so amazing to have you as a guest today, June, and so many questions that would like to ask you. But let's talk as we moved through time and space here on the Doctor Skyshow, Let's talk about something that's phenomenal here. Let's talk about you being Timmy Martin's mom in Lassie somewhat some two hundred episodes or so.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, we did six years of that.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: And went through four main dogs and you know, they're all trained and ready to go if one fails. So we had four over the time that I worked. There were four main dogs. And then at the same time it was a dog who did the running, a dog who did the stunts, and a dog who was a stand in.
Speaker 2: It's a very interesting show and it's almost amazing. And I was mentioning before June, before we were on the air that many of these television shows are appearing here across the nation on MeTV, and to describe that they're bringing back all the great classics like Lassie, Lost in Space and so many other great shows.
Speaker 1: Well, Petty co Junction, I did too for the last few years it was on.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and that's another the Lady Doctor on it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's great fun to watch Lost in Space on me TV. I'm enjoying that a lot. And Lassie is on every Saturday morning here in Los Angeles at nine o'clock on a Trinity Broadcasting. I guess they feel it's a rather pure show and appropriate for that kind of well Christian broadcasting.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, ju And I wanted to ask you for young people that are listening out there, the advice that you would give them if they want to pursue a career on stage television acting. You give us some advice because, as we're talking before, you're celebrating your eightieth year this year this month, that is January of twenty as.
Speaker 1: A paid performer. Yes, it really really is remarkable. Well, and what advice would I.
Speaker 2: Get yes, absolutely, well absolutely.
Speaker 1: First of all, get a good education, and aside from what you're taught in school, be an activist. Participate in activities which intrigue you. Be a volunteer. Get out there and do things that will bring you into contact with people that you otherwise would not meet. Like I mean, you know, there's meals on wheels, there's cleaning parks. Get involved that you're with your local music, whatever the You don't need to play an instrument, if you don't be an usher at the concerts. If there's an art museum where you live, volunteer for that. Learn about art, just find some passion and get involved in it as you're working, your working your homework, or your school or your regular job, even if it's just one day a week. And also, this is so important. Read the press. I read the New York Times. If you can every day.
Speaker 2: Well, that's awesome. Absolutely, And that's that's no easy feet. I mean, that's oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you must know what's going on in the world because we're all connected. But I think that volunteering is something that any young person can do. If you like politics, volunteer to be involved in campaigns. Sure, or here's something else too. The police departments in all these cities always need volunteers to help, and that's a fascinating thing. Here in Santa Monica, we have a wonderful citizens Academy, which I did twice and it's just brilliant. But you don't have to have an academy to go to. But as always, as a result of that, I became so involved when they were going to lose the horses here. My family and I were able to do a lot of promotion and activities and appearances and I sold pictures and T shirts and we saved our Santa Monica Mounted Police Unit, so we still't have our horses.
Speaker 2: That is awesome. And I just want to let you know I'm a volunteer with our Sheriff's office. One are you.
Speaker 1: Really well there? It is I'm talking to the right guy.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, JU, And I guess I can't thank you enough for mentioning that because it doesn't have to be actually being a police officer. You're right exactly out and do a lot of.
Speaker 1: Things and they really need help. So that would be my strong advice, as well as why you're getting a good education and read and read and read, know what new books are out, follow politics, which is fascinating. And you don't need to stay at home in your basement with your video on all the time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely as much as you've been on the television, right, maybe we need to be away from the television screen and the computers. Would you think that maybe children spend a little too much time today in the video game area.
Speaker 1: I would guess so from all that I hear.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, that's very interesting if you're just joining us, ladies and gentlemen on the Doctor Sky Show. An absolutely phenomenal guest, a legend of both stage and film. We're speaking with actress June Lockhart, who celebrates eighty years as a professional actress this January of twenty fourteen. June, again, thank you so much for your time today. You're being selected as one of the nine Legendary Ladies of Stage and Screen to have items from your career inducted into all places. The Smithsonian institutions.
Speaker 1: Broadway in nineteen forty seven and I was given a Tony for the best debut that year. It was the first debut award they had ever given, and so recently the Smithsonian asked if I would give them my Tony. Now in those days, what they gave the ladies was a gold disc and the man got I think a cigarette case which shows you what year it was, you bet. So this was for the forty seven forty eight season, and so I had the it's a gold disc on a gold bracelet. That was the gift. So I gave them the Tony, but I first had it copied by a marvelous jeweler here in Santa Monica, so that I do have a replica of it which is exact.
Speaker 2: No, that's awesome, very interesting. As we talk with actress June Lockhart. Ladies also with.
Speaker 1: The Smithsonian is a lunch box from Lost in Space.
Speaker 2: Now, that is so cool. I remember having one of those myself. Did you really well, absolutely, June. I mean I'm like a little child listening to these stories because I'm going back in time like many of our listeners to talk about I think one of the great highlights of you.
Speaker 1: Well, your enthusiasm really goes way back then, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, I wanted to be Will Robinson. I mean I even tried to dress up with the part with the boots and everything. And I remember we just recently had Bill Muomei on this particular archive. Also, isn't he a dear wonderful person. I met him at the Comic Con shows. Are you still doing the Comic Con shows?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I haven't been to them recently because the mob is beyond what I can endure. I do a lot of conventions, though, which is wonderful because so does Billy and Marta and Angela and Mark Goddard when he's out here. Sure, And it's wonderful because we have a great Oh and John Provos too from Lassie, so we have this wonderful opportunity to all get together and gossip and dish and hang out. But I'm in touch with them by phone all the time anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, June, it's again really a great honor to have you here, and I think the highlight of your career, in my opinion, is, of course, the National Arisonatics and Space Administration NASA presents you with their exceptional public achievement.
Speaker 1: Mom, isn't that amaze?
Speaker 2: Well, you sure earned it, and tell us all about that. That's phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a total surprise to me. I was absolutely blown away by it. But for years I have been very involved with NASA as a volunteer, and they've asked me that princess. They'll call and say, could you please speak to our employees Edwards Air Force Base. So I will go up there and have a chat with the employees and will or then they'll say would you like to go to a launch at Vandenberg were sending up a Noah satellite su and or let's see what else. Oh, I've done a couple of concerts for them at the Kennedy Center, and beyond that though, I've attended many, many other events that they've asked for. I've been to two Shuttle launches which were extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Aren't beautiful?
Speaker 1: And of course when the Endeavor landed here at LAX I was there. And then when it went to the Forum and paused on its way downtown to the Science Center, I was able to speak to people. Fifteen thousand people came to the Forum which to see the Endeavor. And you know what I said, isn't it wonderful to have a mode of transportation which when you drive it off the lot doesn't lose its value exactly?
Speaker 2: Now, there is a good way to put it. I surely love that.
Speaker 1: And then of course I was down at the Science Center when it arrived, and I've been down there several times since for occasions, and it's glorious, a wonderful, wonderful, beautiful thing. And previously years ago I had been to an Endeavor lunch and so I had a sentimental value, you know, feeling about it. So it was really lovely. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Well, June, it's amazing. I was attending as a member of the media, of course, the last launch of the Shuttle back in July of time. Oh, you were there, good, It was amazing. That was my first launch, prob was it. It was the first time I'd ever seen it, And you know, it still resonates in my mind that.
Speaker 1: I'm indescribable, emotional, wonderful. Didn't you tear up?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think I did, yes, standing there in front of the television camera, just thinking that, you know, here's the problem where we're not seeing a lot of this happening anymore. And that's the problem. And I wanted to ask you, as our special guest, June Lockhart, where do you feel America should be as far as is the future of our space program.
Speaker 1: Well, of course it should be funded because people do not realize that the the amount of marvelous science that is being done as spinoffs of all our NASA things. For instance, there are well, I'll just run through a few of these medical things, infusion pumps for insulin. A vehicle controller for the handicapped was developed by by NASA weather forecasting, which I'd love to talk to you about a little later if you like. Sure, there are speech things to help real time speech things that are it's called an autocure water recycling. It's been all developed by NASA. Reading machine for the blind, a breathing system for firefighters, so that and also the mask now that is in that firemen pulled down is made of a certain type of fabric material that they can see through and doesn't steam up or smoke up. Yes, there's dental braces, the new dental braces that are clear all of that, and anti corrosion paint. For instance, when they did the repainted the Golden Gate Bridge, and there are many bridges around the country that have been repainted with anti corrosion paint that was developed by NASA. Laser heart surgery and flame resistant materials. There are just so many many things, and in medicine, what's been developed people for people who are diabetic. I mean, it's it goes on and on and on.
Speaker 2: Well, June, it's great having you here, as I've mentioned many times, but if I may, with your permission, move towards some specific that I think the listeners would love to hear about Lost in Space. I'm identifying you here is doctor Marian Robinson. How about this doctor of biochemistry from the New Mexico College of Space Medicine as what you were described in one of the pilot programmed or episodes really of Lost in Space. I'm looking here at the archive from a book that we call the Saucer Fleet. It's the most in depth book I've ever seen. June on everything about the Jupiter iiO, the spacecraft, the people like yourself in the show, but described to us the whole beginnings of this with Irwin Allen. I'm fascinated by the beginnings of this whole Lost in Space phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Well, they had the script and he was doing this new pilot, but I did a voyage at the bottom of the sea for him, and on the second day of shooting, after he had seen the rushes, he came on the set and he said, we're doing a new pilot and it's a space show. Would you be interested in doing another another series? Because I had just left Lassie a couple of months before, and I said, oh, yes, I certainly would. So he gave me the script and I read it. I was enchanted with it, of course, and the next day I said, I'd love to do this for you. He said, okay, that's great, and so that was it. I was the first one cast. Everyone was sort of cast around me and the part as it developed through the shooting of the series. Mostly when I was supposed to be working on a project or in my lab, I just appeared in a scene with a clipboard and that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing. And the colorful outfits that they had in this show. Describe this. I mean, there was so much color in all of your uniforms and all of the monsters. There was a very colorful set.
Speaker 1: Well, as you remember, the first year was black and white, yes, because CBS hadn't gone completely color yet and so but we knew we would go to color. So Paul Zastomyevich, who was the designer of all the all he had an input to most of the sets and also the to the all the wardrobe designs them because he knew they would be very colorful, and we loved our outfits and they fit wonderfully.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's very very advanced for the day. And yes, ribe a most wonderful show. I wanted you to comment please about Dick Twofeld and Bob May. Many people may not even recognize who these two people are.
Speaker 1: Well they two felt was the voice of the robots and Bobby May was the man inside the robot. He got the part because he fit the robot, and he had a show business background. I don't know whether you ever saw Hell's of Poppin'. No, his grandparents were the creators that, and so he had been very athletic and a gymnast, and so he was not very tall, but he was very enthusiastic and quite a dear man. And so we remained friends right up and he died a few years ago. But he was quite wonderful.
Speaker 2: Well robots in this particular show.
Speaker 1: So he would come in in the morning and get in the robot suit. But you know, he somehow or another developed that robot to where the robot has had a personality. He gave it personality and through what he did with the arms and how he spun it around and moved it. It was really very very clever of him. And then Dick, of course, Dick Twofeld, who had been an ABC newsman for years and was doing voiceover it. He then was able to infuse it with the a proper robot voice that that at least Irwin Allen thought would be a robot voice. As a matter of fact, I don't know whether you know now there is a wonderful robot up in space called Robinot.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've heard of it on the International Space Station.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this thing is so amazing. I saw it when I was in Houston on my last trip there, because whenever I go East, I always come back food Houston, so I can go to the Space Center. Al oh, that's right, and I hang out with my astronaut friends and they show me what's going on that's new. But this, this robanaut is all. It has a white it's covered in a in a white silky fabric which I don't know if you ski it all, but you know, winter silk's the thing that you the underwear that you wear under your ski outfit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not a skier, but no, I'm you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's got that that sort of texture on it as you feel it. Put your hand on the arm of it. Uh, it's warm to the touch because of the wires inside, but you get the sense that you are touching the muscle of this man. Every digit on its hand moves as though it could play the violin. Every single digit is programmed. Uh. You keep looking up into the mask because you really expect to see a face. It has musculature, it has a chest, and it's just remarkable. I wanted to date it.
Speaker 2: Tune that is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yes, actually at is stunning.
Speaker 2: Well what does it actually do?
Speaker 1: It helps the Oh well yes, at the moment, it's helping with lighthouse keeping up there so that which to free the astronauts on their other scientific duties.
Speaker 2: No, folks, it's amazing to have a special guest like this today, a legend of both states.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so well informed.
Speaker 2: No, I thank you, June. We just got a few more minutes with you today. But as I mentioned, if you're just tuning into the Doctor Sky Show, ladies and gentlemen, a very special guest, a legend of both stage and film. June Lockhart, the actress, is celebrating eighty years as a professional actress this January of twenty fourteen, and she's kind enough to join us from her home in California. June, in the last five or six minutes that we have left today, described to us the importance of Lost in Space as part of the whole science fiction movement. I mean this ranks obviously very high, and actually started before the whole you know, the whole thing with Captain Kirk. And that's right with all the guys in that particular show.
Speaker 1: Yes, we were on the year before. Well, the thought of a family going to space, I think was intriguing to most people, and somehow it was so splendidly cast. We had the family. You know, we were really uh uh, well fused to each other. We all enjoyed each other, and our friendship has lasted still all these years. Guy Williams was a wonderful choice as Professor Robinson. He was a dear man by the way, we all just loved him. He was Italian. His real name was Armando Catalano. Isn't that beautiful?
Speaker 2: I would have figured that out.
Speaker 1: So I would always call him Guido and uh, yeah, he was a lovely man and uh. And of course Mark Goddard we loved, Yeah, we really uh And we did laugh a lot, and with Chap sat Irwin because he wanted us to take it all seriously.
Speaker 2: But you know, you I heard a story June that guy will other guy Williams. But as far as we took at Mark Goddard, he's a distant relative of the original Runcket pioneer.
Speaker 1: At the Goddard Space Center. Yes, I have heard that too.
Speaker 2: That's so amazing that he was put into that. I mean, how how appropriate for a space series of it was?
Speaker 1: It just came about, you know, much later he mentioned to us once you know, oh yeah, my second cousin or something is the founder of the Godds. And we said, what didn't you tell anybody? He said, well, no, I didn't think they'd care.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a big that's a big thing right there. You bet with Goddard, you know, he lost in space, as you know, would not be lost in space without Jonathan Harris. Talk about Jonathan Harris, Well, what can I say?
Speaker 1: He was the same on his off He really was, had a wonderful sense of humor, but it was not always very kind, and he was pretty greedy and sort of he wrote all his own lines as the show went along.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, he would write the lines and bring in and in the morning he'd come in and say, Billy, come here, dear, I've got new lines for us. And so he was permitted to sort of take over the.
Speaker 2: Show there June. The most amazing part of this particular show, besides you guys on the robot, is the Jupiter two spacecraft. Described this on the set. It was there a full model of the spacecraft and tell us a little bit.
Speaker 1: But it was a little model which they used when it was flying, you know, to land and crash. It crashed every time it landed, and it was up at the Pinnacles and Trona. I think that's in Nevada.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, that's where they shot it or used it. But they had a little model. But then of course the big model. The big set was really quite extraordinary. Lots of blinking lights and it was very Irwin Allen esque.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, like the voyage at the bottom of the sea.
Speaker 1: That's right. The other and sometimes interchangeable parts we would use something, and then we had an astrogator. It was called in the pilot and for the first episodes, but that was finally dumped because it was so difficult to move the camera around it, so it it was filling up the space in the that where the camera needed to be moved around, and also the robot was on tracks initially, then finally as the years went by, Bobby May was just what we call the rubber Bermuda pants and he would shuffle along.
Speaker 2: It must have been very warm inside that.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sure it was.
Speaker 2: Let's give me claustrophobia.
Speaker 1: But he would stay in there and smoke cigars and he had a little reading material and he got jo. They liked it in there, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can imagine as Juman that became his kind of home away from home.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: June Lockhart, you're a phenomenal guest, and I want to congratulate you on eighty plus years now as a professional actress and celebrating your life and in the last two minutes we have here and please stay on the line with us as we go to the heartbreak at the top of the hour. Here for our radio listeners, but Okay, I wanted to just ask you the current Jewne Lockhart. You sound like you're so involved with so many wonderful things, and of course space related. Tell us more. What other projects are you involved in that are important to June Lockhart now?
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things that I'm quite involved with now is music and the Lawyers. The Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic is an extraordinary organization of about eighty musicians of judges and lawyers. We're having a big concert to celebrate the one hundredth anniversary of the city of Beverly Hills and that will be tomorrow night. Well that'll be I should say Tuesday, the twenty eighth, since I don't know when you're airing this right.
Speaker 2: This will be on probably another week or so.
Speaker 1: But oh all right, well, then I can say it was on the twenty eighth of January. And then also as a spinoff of that, they have formed the Big Band and they do music of Glenn Miller and Jimmy Dorsey and Count Basie and Les Brown. I mean, they are marvelous on piano. We have Judge Arthur Gilbert, who is the Judge of the Superior Court of Appeal of the state of California, and on vibes is Judge Stuart Waxman. They are all lawyers and they come in. I can always tell who's had a court date by the way they dress when they come to rehearsal, because they have on a suit and tie. And one day, now that's the big band. Now. One day we were rehearsing a couple of weeks ago, and the conductor, Gary Green, who of course is a lawyer, apologized to the eighty musicians who were there ready to play for the concert that we gave at the in Beverly Hills. He said, I'm sorry we're missing a trombone tonight because he has a mediation. And then then everybody laughed. I said, oh, oh ha ha. And then he said, but wait, the mediator is Judge Bob from the violin section.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. So, you know, June, no pun intended, But with these judges involved as musicians, it gives a new meaning, a whole new meeting to what we call having a new hearing.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. Oh, and would you would be amazed they use those jokes. They have wonderful humor when at a recent concert. Oh and we're preparing also for our fourth concert at Disney Hall. They do everything from jazz to up and down. I mean, it's just beautiful, well, you know, and.
Speaker 2: I'm happy that you would celebrate your life with us today and I hope in the future. I'd love to ask through your publicist if we may contact you. I'd love to ask your kindness and being part of our Doctor Sky public forums on the phone where we gather lots of people who are interested in science and space, and maybe you'd consider being one of those guests that people could listen to.
Speaker 1: And yes, I think that would be fun because I can certainly talk to them about the new Mars probe that's coming up. It was launched, you know, November fourteenth, and it's to study the climate change on Mars because they're very curious about where the atmosphere went on Mars and then there. Yes, I could certainly, I think hold my own with that talking about various things of of satellite, oh, absolutely, and will particularly relating to weather.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'd love to hear that. And we want to thank you June Lockhart, our special guest. Ladies and gentlemen, Juan, please stay on the line with us as we go now to the heartbreak at the top of the hour. Ladies and gentlemen, a legend of both stage and film. We're happy today to celebrate June's life and she celebrates eighty years as a professional actress this January of twenty fourteen. That concludes this exciting edition of The Doctor Sky Show. Always great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather with celebrity guests mixed in. And today, yes, ladies and gentlemen, we've had both a celebrity and a person who knows so much about the realms of space from her time in that sensational series Boston Space. Thank you so much, Actress June Lockhart, Thank you.