Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drive time right afternoon, eight minutes past the hour, two o'clock. What a gorgeous day to cap off a gorgeous week. We've had spring light conditions all week long, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride. It's Bence check, it's behind the mic. We are out and about today at Tim Dolly Nissan, Tim Dalliotto Group are good friends. The address is forty five twenty eight South State Street. Really easy to find, just put that address in your GPS. ESPN seven hundred van is right out front. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations, you made weekend time. What a beautiful week we've had and we have a jam packed Friday show for you guys right now. Now get a new ride from Tim Dalliato Group. Tim Dolly is making room for the twenty twenty five models, so all twenty four models must go during their year end clearance event. You can get behind the wheel of your dream car or truck or suv. They've got EV's and stock as well. Great deals going on. He starting the new year with a big win and with Tim Dolly's forever warranty. It's a real thing. It's a forever warranty. It doesn't happen in very many places, if any at all here at Tim dally So it is a forever warranty. It's a win win. You can thank Tim dally Ford Infinity three niss On two Maza location. Think Tim Daliato group, come on by and say what's up jam packed Friday Show? Good have you with us on this Friday afternoon. The Utah Jazz welcome in a couple of old friends tonight as the Minnesota Timberwolves roll into town. The Jazz were off last night, but a fun, fun out of NBA basketball last night. Stephen Wardale Curry. How about fifty six points for steph last night? Incredible performance. Golden State Warriors are seven and one after acquiring Jimmy Butler and the LA Lakers are eight and two since acquiring. Now that's not right. It says that it doesn't feel like he's played ten games. But anyway, Lake Chris beat the Timberwolves last night, so the te Wolves roll in on the second out of a back to back. The Phoenix Suns continue to spiral in the wrong direction and it really really on game in Milwaukee saw the Bucks getting the Nuggets. So a fun night of NBA basketball last night, and we've got a good night of NBA hoops tonight featuring the Timberwolves and the Jazz here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah at the Delta Center for a seven thirty tip. College hoops will dominate the weekend landscape both locally and nationally. BYU looks to continue their winning ways. They've won five straight Big twelve games, and that is the longest Big Twelve winning streak that they have had. Even though it's only been two years. BYU's already won twenty games. There are eleven and six in conference play, and they welcome in the team to the Marriot Center. Who they beat to start this winning streak. West Virginia is in town coming up tomorrow night at eight o'clock on ESPN two. University of Utah will get back at it as well. Only a few games left for the Utes. Obviously, the storyline this week has been the news that Craig Smith was relieved of his duties as Utah's head coach. We'll get to some of the latest thoughts and the latest rumors about who could take that job next. Arizona State rolls into the Huntsman Center. It's a five o'clock tip coming up tomorrow night. I would encourage you, if you have some free time tomorrow to head on up to the Huntsman Center and give these young men your support. I'm sure it's been an emotional week for them. I'm sure it's been a difficult stretch for them. Then on the fourth, March fourth, coming up next week, it'll be West Virginia in town and Utah finishes off their regular season schedule. I'm not sure if any post season plans are going to be possible, but BYU will be the final game down on Provo, down in Provo on March the eighth, and it's gonna be a tough one for you. It's man Kevin Young, Bringham Young. They have been on fire, and the Utah Women welcome in bringing Young coming up tomorrow at one thirty. So a jam packed the day of college hoops tomorrow. The women have lost two of their last three to two really good teams, Oklahoma State and West Virginia. Try to get back at it coming up against BYU tomorrow, so a lot to do. Some local players showing out at the NFL Draft combine. We have some NFL offseason news. Stafford has agreed to a restructured deal with the Rams, and could Aaron Rodgers simply not move and play football next year in New York, but for the Giants instead of the Jets. So a lot to do, a lot to do on the program today. Great to have you with us where Ilse Salt Lake will try somehow some way to get on track, coming up to Marrogan. It's a really good Seattle Sounders team. Seattle made a lot of offseason additions. Craig Wibel is the general manager in Seattle. He spent a ton of time down here in saw Lake. He's the man that's credited with finding Demir cry Lock and others. So it's going to be a tough test as RSL is waiting for reinforcements. So we'll do a little RSL on the program today as well. Good guest list on this Friday afternoon Live from Tim Dolly Tim Dolly Nissan at forty five to twenty eight South State Street. It's their year end clearance, so come on by and say what's up. Get a great deal on a vehicle, price to move. Our first guest right out of the gates will be the man who I think is going to be wearing the captain's arm band for all OSL this year. Mecca and Nelly will be our first guest. Right out of the gate. Shout out in eight bench that we're gonna move over to Howard Beck Hippis, rider around, NBA rider around at three o'clock, our friend from the Ringer, and then we'll welcome in Paul Pugmyer for a little bit of golf as a golf season. PGA Tour they're in the midst of their Florida swing and as of now it looks like it's the Cognistant Classic in the Palm Beaches. Oh, Jake Knapp is not in the league man. He had a fifty nine yesterday Jake Knapp did, so we'll do a little little golf. But the leader board is jam packed with big names down in Florida as the PGA Tour makes their Florida swing. They'll be at Bayhill next weekend and I will be at that tournament. Very excited to attend at PGA event. It's something I've never had an opportunity of doing. So after Pug stops, I will welcome in Spencer Linton, our friend from BYU TV, do a little BYU hoops, some Big twelve hoops, maybe some college football, some Big twelve football. BYU has actually started their spring practice on the football side of things as well. And then my guy, im my former radio partner, longtime columnist at the Salt Lake Tribune, Gordon Montson stops by on a Friday afternoon. So a Mecca and Nellie Howard Beck, Paul Pugmyer, Spencer Linton, Gordon mottson me Spence Jackets live at Tim dally Nissan forty five to twenty eight South State Street, and back in the studio on this beautiful, beautiful Friday afternoon is where we find the producer of this program, Porter Larson, on a Friday. Is it Is it safe to say that Steph Curry might be the greatest point guard in the history of the NBA.
Speaker 2: Man, that's a it's a good question. He's He's on the very, very short list. I whenever this argument comes up, I say Lebron Magic, those guys are point guards. They're in the discussion.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's Chris Paul, it's it's John Stockton, it's Steph Curry and it's maybe those guys if you want to, if you want to have that that discussion. And man, he's still doing it, still doing it at this age and and still plenty of fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, watching that lie last night was wild. I mean, when he gets going, there's a very few players I'd rather watch than Steph. When Steph starts doing Seth things. I mean, the Magic are a really good defensive team. Steph Curry scored fifty six points on twenty five shots. That is just nuts. He went twelve to nineteen from three. So jazz back in action tonight. Some good NBA, some good college hoops coming up this weekend. Our first guest today will be a Mecca Annelly RSL midfielder. But before we get to a mecca on this Friday afternoon, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check its on Utah's number one Sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and you get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars. Line up Prize Picks, run your game all season and long. All right, the big news of the week this week certainly has been that the University of Utah are in the market right now for a new head basketball coach for the men's team. And you know, we've covered this from several different angles, but let's review the latest kind of where we're at right now, and then we'll go from there. So obviously it's been a difficult, you know, kind of topic to cover for a number of different reasons. As I've talked about all week long, and as Tommy Lloyd outline the head coach of Arizona after the Utes were down to Michale, there certainly is a personal side to these things that I think oftentimes we ignore. And you know, even though there are these massive, massive buyouts and massive, massive you know, wind falls and essentially golden parachutes, it doesn't make it any easier for a family when a person loses their job. You got to figure at some point you're going to relocate. Craig is still very young, He's got a lot of coaching ahead of him. And I've said this all week, I'll continue to reiterate it. I don't view this as a Craigsmith issue entirely, but it is a bottom line, resultory oriented business, and Craig knows that as much as anybody. He even said it on the record last year. There are some cases I think to be made that there are actually signs of improvement here or there, and things getting a little bit better here or there. But you know, ultimately, when you have very powerful people in the ears of the president of the university and the athletic director, which I've been told is definitely the case, it's hard to continue to move in the direction of allowing somebody to build if there are a lot of people behind the scenes that aren't on board with that decision, and namely people around you know the program that are capable of writing big checks and they help your bottom line economically, because in this day and age of college athletics, powerbrokers with deep pockets, they carry a differ than they used to. They've always been important. You've always needed boner excuse me. You've always needed donors and you've always needed boosters to make sure that you have everything that you need to keep up with facilities and pay your coaches and pay your administrators and all that stuff. But now with the ability and the necessity to actually pay your players, your pockets have to be deeper and you have to be prepared in a way that around the market. Right now, I'm not sure how many people know if Utah Basketball is in a position economically to support whoever the new head coaches, and we don't know who it's going to be, but I can promise you whether it's Alex Jensen or Eric Spolstra or if you resurrect Rick Majeris, it doesn't matter who it is. Any candidate will ask Mark Harland and Taylor Randall the same question that is am I supported financially? Am I supported economically? And if the answer is we're working on it, They're not going to get their first choice. They might not get their first three or four choices. I mean, I don't know what the issue was. When John Calipari left the University of Kentucky. I think a lot of people were just kind of over the whole, like we have a ton of talent, but we can't get a dun com tournament time. But Mark Pope, by all reports, was like their fifth or sixth choice. And I can't imagine any of that had to do with Nil. I'm sure Kentucky is just fine with it. But if Alex Jensen is going to leave the pros, he has to know that he is set up to succeed wherever he goes, whether it's Utah or anywhere else. I mean, you know, I reported this earlier, and I don't tweet much anymore for a number of different reasons, but I had two different sources tell me that this is the final year of Alex's contract with the Dallas Mavericks. And you know, after essentially being a lifelong assistant coach in the NBA, and Alex of course was a G League coach. She was the G League Coach of the Year. I thought Smitty gave us some really good context this week on just how difficult it is to coach in the G League and just how difficult it is to win in the G League, because ultimately, everybody in the G League does not want to be in the G League. That includes players, that includes coaches, it includes administrators, it includes pr staff. Everybody in the G League is in the G League for an opportunity to at some point to get called up to the big leagues, right, And so as a head coach, if you're Alex Jensen, you're dealing with a group of players, a group of young men more often than not that aren't necessarily thrilled to be playing for you. They're playing for you for an opportunity at some point to be called up to the pros, right. And so ultimately Alex's you know his path. He played overseas as a player for about seven years, made some money in Turkey and in other places as well. Started as a coach in two thousand and seven when he joined Rick Majeris's bench in Saint Louis and then went over to the Canton Charges a reference. He was the G League Coach of the Year, won a G League championship, and then spent an entire decade with the Jazz, starting I believe with Ty Corbin and then and Quinn Snyder took the job. And I think this says a lot about Alex because Quinn could have probably not probably, but Quinn could have filled his bench with anybody who he wanted to, and he could have named any coach as his lead assistant, but he named Alex as his lead assistant. And in ten years with the Utah Jazz, Alex made a name for himself with really working with big men and the Rudy go Bears of the world, the Derek Favors of the world, and the Rudy story certainly is a massive success, and most of that credit goes to go Beart, for sure, But if you talk to anybody down in that organization, if you talk to anybody around the league, they talk about Alex as the conduit to tremendous growth for Gobert, who as a rookie looked like a baby giraffe and could barely get up and down the floor. Then after working with Alex for a couple of years, we're talking Defensive Player of the Year multiple times, All Stars multiple times. Rudy Gobert is a Hall of Famer. And again most of the credit goes to go Bear, but Alex deserves a lot of that as well. And then after will Hardy to go over, Alex was in the last year of his contract, and I don't know if it was out of respect. I don't know if it was just like, hey, let's just let him finish out the final year. He spent one year with Will, and in that year with Will, Alex was tasked with working with Walker Kessler. Walker a late pick in the first round, and his rookie year, he ended up finishing second in Rookie of the Year voting, and a lot of people, again around the league and around the organization, believe Alex had a big hand in that. And then lands on his feet with the Dallas Mavericks. Dennis Lindsay, who's now with Detroit, you know, spent a lot of time here at roster constructing with the Utah Jazz and he is the one that decided to allow Will not allow, but encourage Dallas to look at Alex Jensen. And that's where Alex has been now for the past two years. This is his third year, I believe, on the bench in Dallas. So there you go. I do feel like all of the rumors I've heard and all the things I've read and the things I've heard is that Alex appears to be at the top of the list as far as the candidates to coach the University of Utah basketball program. We've talked about some of the other you know candidates as far as the avenue of looking at some of the young coaches in younger in smaller schools, smaller programs that have done a really good job with not a lot of resources, and oftentimes that's the route you go to when it comes to a big program in the big twelve a P four program to find your next head coach, right and so you know, we've already seen Mark Carlan go that route. He went that route with Craig and there are a lot of examples of coaches right now who people that cover the sport believe that it's kind of their turn, right, I guess that's how I'll put that kind of their turn. After coaching a smaller school with not a lot of resources, they've shown that they can coach, and so does a big program look to make their pockets a little bit deeper and ultimately land on them to coach their program. So that is one route. The other route, of course, is finding a big name coach he's been on the sidelines for quite some time. That worked for Saint John to Rick Patino. And then the last route that we've been talking about quite a bit on this show is do you go the former ute route? Do you try to restore a past glory? Does that do anything for the community for a program that is badly in need of a shot of life, a shot of adrenaline? Does that do anything for you as a member of this community who cares about Utah basketball. If you're not a season ticket holder right now, and you get an email or you get an alert on your phone that Utah has decided that their next head coach is going to be Alex Jensen, and Alex's bench will be filled with former utes, namely Andre Miller, who's a G League coach right now sitting next to him. If you're not a season ticket holder now, my question for you is will you be motivated to call the basketball office and put a deposit down for tickets next year? Because while that's not the most important thing for a program that has not had a building full consistently for a number of years, that is a very important The fact that there are banners right up top, you know, covering the top of the Huntsman Center ever at all, is just a pathetic thing that is embarrassing. Quite frankly, I'm not blaming fans for not showing up. You gotta have a product that consistently is winning. You got to have a product that is consistently entertaining and in this day and age again, I'll finish with this before you catch a break. The bottom line to me is this, It does not matter if it's Alex Jensen, if it's Andre Miller, if it's Richard Patino, it doesn't matter who it is. Every coach is going to ask Mark and he's going to ask Taylor Randall, Look, do you have what it takes economically and are you set up financially with an infrastructure that will allow me to succeed. If the answer is not an emphatic yes, even if it's a hey, we're kind of growing in that direction, that's not going to be good enough. And there's a lot of ambiguity around whether or not Utah basketball has the money to keep up with the programs in the Big twelve. And I'm not even saying keep up with what BYU's doing. I mean, the reports are bru just wrote a seven million dollar check daj Debonsa for five months of basketball next year. He's only playing one year. He'll be in provo five months, he's walked away with seven MILI and that's a level that I'm not even saying Utash should, you know, try to strive to right away, But ultimately you've got to be able to keep the players that you like. And Davon Smith going to Saint John's, I mean, Davon would have made a big difference for this team this year. Now, I'm told the Utah maker made a competitive offer and Utah can't offer Madison Square Garden, they can't offer New York City. But ultimately, in order to get the talent that you need, Because I will land on this once again, I don't think this was a coaching issue. I think this was a talent issue on the roster, not just this year but pretty much ever since Craig has taken over. Now, the hard part is is the head coach You've got to wear that too. How much of that is Craig's inability to recruit, how much of that is Utah's inability to pay players, I honestly don't know. But whatever the head coach brings to the table as far as his pedigree, it asked to be matched equally by the program economically in order to support him with the infrastructure in place, So no news. I don't think we're gonna hear any news as of right now, and you'd still have some games to play, and I will repeat Arizona State coming up tomorrow, five o'clock Huntsman Center. Let's do what we can to get up there and show these show these young men that we appreciate their efforts during a very very emotional week in a very very emotional situation. All right, we're live today at Tim Daly Nissan. They're opening until eight o'clock tonight, so if you can't get here during the show, we'll take it out about six. You can get here after work about eight o'clock. It's forty five to twenty eight South State Street, so come on by and say hi. All right, we're live today at Tim Dally Nissan. It's forty five to twenty eight South State Street. Got off to a little weird start to the show, got a little loose, was trying to say donors and boosters and landed on a word right in between. But we're gonna move on because it's Friday, and it's beautiful outside and RSL is in action tomorrow. Our next guest midfielder for Rayl saw Lake. It's always a pleasure to catch up with a Mecca and Nelly on a Friday afternoon. A meta, Happy Friday, buddy, are we.
Speaker 5: Doing I'm doing well. I'll be Friday to you as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time. Man. First of all, tell me about your off season experience. And you know, no big deal of Mecca. You had your first call up for the US men's national team, So tell us about it, man, how was it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was fantastic. I mean I got the the email I guess that I was going to be called into camp. I think just a little bit before Christmas, so it was a nice a nice little Christmas gift and then obviously the camp early January for two weeks.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a great experience, you know, to meet some of the players, some of the best domestic players in the MLS, some of the best coaches you know on the coach that you know, Chelseaps, the other top places Spurs, and just to be coached by them for for two weeks. It was. It was a great experience.
Speaker 1: I've got to know, what is it like in that moment when that email spills in, Like what goes because I know that you and anybody that has grown up playing at a high level, this is like the ultimate dream, right, Like the ultimate goal is to represent your country. And obviously I know you have World Cup aspirations and we're all pulling for you to make that squad. But when that email spills in and you realize that that dream is coming true and Mecca, what's that like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hard to put it into words, honestly, you know, like you get it and you Yeah, I had to double check the email to make sure, you know, it wasn't like it wasn't vague or anything like that, because I was just, you know, so excited and yeah, just like it's a real moment, you know, it was. It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, we're very happy for you. Let me ask you what playing against you know, because we've had a lot of players here in our market, you know, Kyle and Nicki and guys went they went to the World Cup and even prior to that, it was Clint Mathis and Eddie Pope and they always would talk about how playing for the national team on that level helped them when they came back to play in MLS. How can these experiences help you be a better player for your club.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I think whenever you're playing with top level players, you just kind of take some experience from them and bring it back to the club level. And I think it also just gives you, you know, an added sense of confidence when you come back to the club level after playing with you know, some of the players at the national team who have been dominating it and the MLS for for many many years. Some that came from Europe came back like Tim Mariem I'm playing with them and then obviously coming back to here ourself. It just gives you a sense of confidence when you're on the field, and when you have that, you really just play with a sense of freedom and can really really show your true talent. So I felt that since I've been back for the past you know, two or three weeks, I've just felt more confident on the ball, more competent in my decisions, and just more confident and everything that I'm doing here at RSL.
Speaker 1: So ameca, You've been asked to do a lot of things in just a couple of years here with RSL, playing a couple of different positions and you know, carry a few different roles. Can you play striker? Do you have that in your back pocket?
Speaker 5: I actually did play striker in college. I probably could well.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously tongue in chet because I know Pablo likes you where you're at. But I got to know from a player's perspective, you know, the front office decided to jettison players that represented forty two goals in twenty nine assists last year, and as of now, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anybody who's on the roster now, but as of now, fans and RSL supporters just waiting for reinforcements to come along after guys like Chie Scho and Andres and Crooks and Anderson were moved on. Is there frustrating? Is there frustration mounting among the group that the front office decided to get rid of the bulk of your attacking options and hasn't necessarily brought in a ton of reinforcements yet, I.
Speaker 5: Don't think necessarily. I think I think it's still super early in the season. You know, we've only played we've only played three games, really, and I think we're most focused on the process and creating those chances because I antually think in the three games that we've had, we've created a decent amount of chances. You know, in the first game in Costa Rica, we missed three or four big chances. In San Jose, I think we had a next year of almost two, but we oftenly didn't put any in the back of the net. And then on Wednesday at home against the Coast Weakan team, again we have thirty shots, eighteen shots inside the box, and we only were able to put one goal in. So I don't I don't think it's a personal problem. I think it's a bit of you know, hasn't really been on our side these these last couple of games. But I think we're getting into really good areas and the shots just aren't hitting the back of the net at this point in time. But I do feel like, you know, if we continue to do these things correctly, come Saturday, we'll score plenty of goals. The next Saturday, we'll score plenty of goals, and we'll just continue just to work on our craft to you know, continue to create these chances and then just be more clinical in the box when we have these chances.
Speaker 1: So and well said there. So instead of maybe speaking for you laced in my question. I wasn't trying to lead you. I'll just ask you, from your standpoint, as one of the better players on the roster and one of the leaders with the potential of wearing that captain's armband from time to time, what was your reaction to the moves that the front office decided to make getting rid of the bulk of the production up top, Like, just tell me how you feel about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, obviously, when it happens, like in the moment, it's a little bit shocking, just because you don't expect it at that time, you know, but you also understand that things like this kind of happen in the football world, you know, where transfers have been, things happened during the season that people don't see eye to eye on and you know, they maybe feel like certain players are a better fit at a different club, or I don't fit at this club currently. So like when it first happened, obviously a little bit of shock. I think everybody had a little bit of shock when when when it happened. But then you know, kind of just a couple of days after a week after it kind of got past it, we're kind of just focused on how can we now as a as a group, as a collective, focus on, focus on the future, focus on this new season, because you know these players aren't going to come back. So it's kind of done in dustin now and just kind of move on with it.
Speaker 1: Tell me, you know, and I guess what I'll say is during training where a lot of us don't get to see what you guys are doing. So you know, we've seen the games and you point out the chances that have been created. But of course, as you know, chances that are created don't do much unless they're capitalized on. And one goal in three games, as you know, is not going to get it done. So tell me what you're seeing a mecca in training from this attacking group and whether or not you believe that you guys do have the personnel in that area of the field to start going to start scoring goals and getting better results.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, one hundred percent we have it. I mean, I think obviously with both competitions going on, there was a lot of rotation in the squads and the attacking players, maybe maybe a little bit of a lack of chemistry and that in that department. But I think in training. You know, the chances we've created in changing they've been finished off. In preseason, I mean we scored two goals in the game, three goals, another three goals. Everything was falling that and then we come to the real season and the chances are missed, you know. So I don't so I think as long as we just you know, continue to really focus on the little details and training, you know, finishing off every single attack. If we continuously do that, you know, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday comes Saturday, the goals will start to flow in. As long as each day training, you know, we're content continuously hitting on what we need to focus on and continuously focusing on those little details of finishing every single attack. So I do think it's just, you know, a matter of time for the goals start start flying in. And like I said earlier, I mean we played three games, we'll probably have another with Leagues Cup, another forty games left in the season. So I think it's just it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: Is there any silver lining? And I know the answers probably know because the Conky CAF Champions Cup tournament is a lot of fun and something that a lot of RSL supporters were excited to witness. It's been a number of years since RSL was in this tournament, and once upon a time nearly won the thing. Now Seattle is the only MLS team to win it. But because you guys did lose in the first round of MECA, what it means is you do not have these midweek games. As I'm looking at the schedule for like a month and maybe even a little bit more than your reference league's cop that will come at some point, But is there any silver lining to not having such a crowded schedule As you enter at MLS play to try to understand how this new group is going to manifest itself, I think yeah.
Speaker 5: I think others outside might say, like it could be a positive that we don't have these big week games, But I know me personally and the whole team is very, very frustrated with how we with how we went out of of Concrete Champions Cup, because I mean I could speak for it myself. I love playing midweek games, you know, I mean, we play, we play for the games. We don't maybe we don't we don't we don't like training as much as we like the games. Obviously, like to play for the game, So if we have a game Wednesday Saturday, Wednesday Saturday, it's better for me, it's better for the team. Everybody likes to compete in that aspect. So I mean, not really a silver lining. I'm really disappointed, and yeah, nothing we can do about it now, but I just wish we took our chances better on Wednesday. Hopefully, just something that we can learn from and continue to grow on throughout this season.
Speaker 1: What was Pablo's message to you guys after that, because I mean it was it was gutting you guys were on your way, and to your point about the chances, I felt like, you know, another couple of goals were coming and then boom, just a rough turnover. Nelson had a rough turnover. Boom, they score, and then there's a counter and I'm watching that game a mecan. I'm just stunned. I can't imagine how you guys felt. What was the message from your head coach after that match?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was pretty disappointed as well, because I mean, it was there for the taking and we just didn't. We just didn't grasp the moment. So I think you're just reiterating, you know, the points on just to we have to just show up every single day, you know, before the match and training and just put our best foot forward and every single effort that we're doing so that you know, little lapses of you know, judgment or focus don't happen on Wednesdays and we have games are on Saturday, only have games. And he made it very clear and very apparent that things like that cannot happen. I'm going forward in the future. So it's again, I hate to say a learning moment because it's something that really frustrates me losing that game, but it's just something that with how long the season is, with how many games we have, it is something that we just have to learn and grow from and you know, just go with that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, when it comes to the strikers on the roster and we're still getting to know, you know, Forrester and the pold kid, it seems like, you know, there are rumors that additions are kind of on the way in that space. But one of the things, and you know, we have Curt On, we have Jason On, we have pablem On. A lot of people are talking about, you know, where will the goals come from? Well, not all the time it has to come from the striker, right, it can come from the group. So if we remove because all the attention now in Mecca is a lack of goals, So what's going on with the number nine spot? But if we remove that, which of course you can't entirely because it's such an important spot, is there enough support with the midfield, with Mark Zuke and Diego and Diego that you guys maybe can overcome the lack of a season striker to get goals from other places if that makes sense?
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely. I mean you obviously saw what Diego can produce last year. I mean you had plenty of goals, plenty of assists. Obviously, Diogo and Dominick came in halfway through the season and we're finding their legs. And then this preseason they've been been amazing, scoring goals, assisting goals. So they all have the quality, you know, and I think without you know, like a season nine, you know it's going to be a group effort, you know, with with goals and assists and all of them, you know, Diego, Diogo, Dominic, Lachland, Wolfe, I mean, they can all provide it. And I've seen them all provide it and in some of the preseason games we had in training, you know, so very confident in their ability to to definitely keep up the goal contributions.
Speaker 1: Do you guys follow because every time I fire up, you know, one of these websites with transfers, there are rumors that are SL's in the mix to either make a move to get an MLS striker, bring somebody in from overseas. Do you guys in the locker room follow this or is it just like you got to focus on what's in what's in front of you.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of focused on what's in front of you. But obviously, you know, if you're on social media, you'll probably come across it, you know, but it's not something that we really like linger on or react to because you know, it's it's so normal and and in soccer, you know, for things like that to happen, for transfers to happen, so like we'll see it, but it's not anything like, oh no, nobody really makes a big deal about it or anything. It's kind of just okay, we see it and then kind of just get on with our day, get on with the train, and focus for focus on the task at hand to hopefully, you know, win on the weekend.
Speaker 1: This might be an odd question, but do you want to see reinforcements added? Are you guys anxious to have more experience in season players in that spot up top and number nine?
Speaker 5: You know, it's not really my place to answer, you know, uh, but I think it's just you know, you always want to want to have top level players on your team, you know, in whatever position that is. So like, wherever we can get players to just strengthen our team overall, I'm on for it, you know, because that not only raises our team, you know when we play on the weekend, but then competitively, competitively in trainings. You know, we're trying to push each other to be better. So it's always good when you know you have when any type of player is added to tow a squad, because it just raises the level, you know, and the competitive competitiveness within the squad.
Speaker 1: You young man, are good at this. That is a season season that for an answer at the ripe old age of twenty five, That's exactly the way you should handle that question. I'm very impressed, which leads me to this next question, which is it feels like Pablo and Kurt and Tony and I could keep going. It seems like you're viewed as a leader on this group, on this roster with this group, even though you're only twenty five years old. So I don't know who's gonna wear the captain's arm band. All year we had Pablo on and he said, you're certainly a candidate. Have you been told whether or not that armband is yours? And what sort of leadership role are you asked to take even though you are twenty five and year three in MLS.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'll be wearing it. But I think it's you know, it's only my third year. But I think I've learned a lot in these three years. And you know, I think leadership is just a you know, an evolving and a growing thing that you have to take with it, you know. So I think previously, I think my first year, my second year, I think I led very well by example, you know, my actions on the field, my actions off the field. I think I set a great example for everyone at the club, you know. But I think especially in year one, I didn't really have as much as a much of a voice. In year two definitely grew in that in that department and even now continuously trying to grow to lead with my voice, you know, because I think there's there's many different ways to lead, you know, with your voice by example, you know, personal relationships. So it's just you know, there's not one one tool that can lead everybody. So it's just continuously to build my toolbox in this leadership role to help the team in whatever way succeed, you know. And I also want to say that it's it's not just it's not just me. You know, we have other fantastic leaders on the team, you know, Jay glad Ratha, fill up yoga. Who are you know all leading as well? You know, I think the best teams are the ones where everyone on the team as a leader. You know, you can turn to your left, you can turn to your right, and everyone there is trying to lead each other and holding each other accountable. And I think that's what we we We set that culture so far, so I think it's something that's been going pretty well and it's just something that you know, we want to continue with and grow with throughout the season.
Speaker 1: What are your personal goals aspirations, soccer dreams? You know, I had diego on last year, I straight up asked him the same question and he wasn't shy, said, I want to play in Europe. And you know, at the age of twenty five, I Meka, You've got a lot of soccer in front of you, and I know you're focused on where your feet are at now with RSL. But when you dream as big as you can dream for your soccer life, what does that look like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I would love to play in Europe. You know. Obviously people always look at the age thing because I'm a little bit older, and you know, if the timing's right, but you know, I would love to play in Europe if the stars aligned the right way, the cards fold the right way, you know, and things go well. I I've definitely it's definitely been a dream of mine. You know, I always love watching European soccer. But you know, really just focused on what I'm doing today and tomorrow hopefully get me to that point, you know, So just really focus on the ins and outs week in and week out, you know, and then if a conversation has to be had of you know, me going elsewhere things like that, then it will be had when it's when it's the right time.
Speaker 1: You know, I mecha. Please do not refer to twenty five years old as old. Okay, I sprained my ankle in the shower at my age show. You're you're not old, young fella. You got a lot of good soccer. How do you last thing? Before I said you lose tell us going into tomorrow and look, as you referenced, it is early, nobody's panicking. Well, I shouldn't say that. Your your fans are a little concerned after you know, getting stopped by San Jose and losing in the cocky CAF Champions Cup first round. So while it is early, tomorrow does feel like there's a little bit of weight and a little bit of pressure from your fan base to show that the first three games aren't who you are and to back up your point about chances created to get them finished in order to have a good showing. So what's the mentality as you welcome in a Seattle team that made a lot of big time acquisitions during this offseason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, cheat, Tea's always be a really early good team. You know, a lot of attacking pieces. But I think it's just more of the same from us. You know, we're always going to have that fight and the determination every single match, and then you know, especially at home. I think last year at home, we we played pretty well most of the time. I think we got a lot of results. I don't think we I think we maybe only last once or twice. So it's just trying to uphold that standard of never to lose a home, you know. So I think we've prevared the right way. We've had the right mentality and trainings, and now it's just time to you know, go out there on Saturday at two thirty and show what we've been doing. And obvious here. I know some of the fans have been disappointed with the results that we've had the last three games, but we pushed those to the pass. We're just focused on on the task at hand on Saturday, and it will be better, you know than the last three games that we've had.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Oh, Mecca, you're the man. Congratulations on the call up, Congratulations on the captain's arm band, and best of uck tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you Mecca and Elly RSL's captain. There you go. We were wondering who was going to be and a Mecca announces that it is him. He's gonna be wearing it. So RSL Seattle tomorrow. Kind of an underrated robbery game. Craig Wible former RSL GM is up there. Albert Russknach, former RSL Star is up there. Two thirty kick. If you're looking for something new on what should be a pretty beautiful Saturday afternoon, head over to RSL dot com for tickets and let's pack that place and hopefully the lads we're here for the lads play a little bit better. All right, we're live today. Tim Dolly Nissan, come on by and stop by. It's forty five twenty eight South State Street. They're up in until eight o'clock tonight. Get a new ride from Tim Dalliado Group. It's making room for the twenty twenty five models, so all the twenty four models must go during their year end clearance event. You can get behind the wheel of your dream car. They've got trucks, SUVs, evs as well in stock, so come on by. We started the new year with a big win with Tim Dollies Forever warranty, Tim Dolly Ford Infinity three to eight Nissan locations, two mis To locations, think Tim Dalliado Group. So right now, theyve got special financing as low as zero percent. You don't have to pay anything upfront, zero money down, zero percent financing and no payments for two months. You can essentially get a free car for a couple months while you figure out the payments. End of the month. Best time to buy, so come on buy open tell eight o'clock tonight at Tim Dally Nissan. It's forty five twenty eight South State Street here in Salt Lake City on a beautiful Friday afternoon. All right, were love today? Tim Dally Nissan here in Salt Lake City. It's forty five twenty eight South State Street. It's their year end clearance event. Even though it's February. They've extended it. Special financing as low as zero percent and no money down, no payments for two months. So if you're in the market for a car, coming out and say hello. It's forty five twenty eight South State Street here in Salt Lake City. Our next guest knows Salt Lake City is a small town called a small town. Last week, let's welcome him in, Howard Beck on a Friday afternoon. Howard, Happy Friday. Which large city do we find you in on this Friday afternoon.
Speaker 7: I am happily ensconced in the borough of Brooklyn in traffic on my way to the arena, where I will see the Barnburger between the Nets and Portland trailblazers who also hail from a small city.
Speaker 1: By the way, Okay, if Portland's it was the town thing that got me, the small town. If Portland's a small town, I think that's fine with us out here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 7: I love all the small towns equally easy.
Speaker 1: You know, I know you do.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: If you're in traffic in Brooklyn, we get you for what forty five minutes to an hour today on a Friday.
Speaker 7: According to the lift driver's mapping, we're six minutes out, which means it'll actually be fifteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough. Well let's get into it then, because obviously time is of the essence. So I wanted to get your take on some comments Lebron made about you know, Anthony Edwards said doesn't really care to be the face of the league, and Lebron, I'm paraphrasing, said, well, who would want to be the face of the league When everybody talks about the league just takes a bleep on it. On a daily basis. So I think this is an interesting topic for somebody like you because you'll be good with it. I think there are a lot of things to criticize right now with the modern day and age of the way that the business of basketball is being run. I get feedback and I have a sense, and it's a league I love. It's a game that I love that most people feel like the modern day NBA has run like a Fortune five hundred company that only cares about creating value for shareholders. Now, look, I'm a grown up. I know this is a front facing, revenue generating entertainment product. But does Lebron have a point or is reacting a little bit in a soft way as it pertains to a league that sometimes deserves to be criticized.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of different pieces of this that are worth talking about in a lot of different paths we can go down. So I'll give you my first reaction to what he said, and then we can hit the other parts of it if you want. But let me start with this. I'm glad you asked because one of the things Lebron said, the thing that struck me most is the thing about why would you want to be facing the league when everybody's always basically crapping on it and all this, and just feeling like, if you're the face of the league, as he has been, you put yourself in a position where you are just in the crossfire every day. I get that part of it, but to me, what it speaks to is something that has been a growing concern of mind for a very long time, going back years, which is that players today feel that kind of criticism and feel that kind of siege from what they believe to be the Capital M media because they are flooded every day with whether it's TV debate shows or maybe some podcasts, radio, Instagram commenters, Twitter commenters, anybody. They are constantly feeling like everybody's just kind of criticizing them all the time, and then they put this on the Capital M media and then lump everybody together. The reason I view it that way, or I'm concerned about it from that standpoint is there are a lot of us who cover the league, and Lebron actually used that phrase those people who cover the league are the ones, you know, crapping on us every day. The vast majority of us who are cover them league, especially as reporters, beat writers are not the ones he's actually talking about. It's the TV debate shows. It's people on Instagram, it's aggregation accounts that just take things out of context and then use it to tee off on people. It's all this other stuff. The people who are dedicating the most time and effort to reporting and writing and actually going into the gym, actually going to and shoot arounds and games, doing the job that I used to do for sixteen years, which is, you know, be a beat writer covering a team from start to finish, all eighty two games plus playoffs.
Speaker 6: Those are other people who are.
Speaker 7: Firing off takes and living on the hot take economy. And my concern as a twenty eight year writer covering this league, my concern as presidents of the Pro Basketball Writers Association, is that we have a growing problem where players view just this big noise machine as one big conglomerate and it's not. It's hundreds, maybe thousands of voices. But we are taking the brunt of this because what's happened is it makes it harder to cover the league when players are always on the defensive, or cutoff, or or too reticent to give their time and their thoughts because they fear being in the next spin cycle, and that is a problem, and that is a massive concern of mine.
Speaker 1: So is what's fair to be critical of in your opinion? You know? Because yes, to your point, when these players are hearing a million different voices and they're on social media, they're on Instagram, they're on Twitter or Blue Sky or whatever, and they are in their echo chamber, and the algorithm feeds them, you know, whatever it does, and suddenly, you know, a very small group of people in their mind represents all of us right that cover the league, and then suddenly we're all thrown in the same category. But as I referenced, I do believe there are things that are very fair to criticize, and I think there are things that are fair to criticize with the way Lebron at times handles himself or all of us brilliant. So your points are well taken, But I will ask you what is fair to criticize in your opinion about the modern day approach of NBA players and the way the league is run.
Speaker 7: Now, I'm not trying to be here at Spence. I don't know how to answer that, because everybody has their own view of what might be wrong with the league, or what needs to be improved, or what they think is broken or whatever it may be. I've got my views of it. You and I have had various discussions over you know, the months and even years about how we viewed certain aspects of the league and the state of the game's I mean, everything's fair. It's not that anything is off limits to criticize, although you know, times people get a little too personal or a little bean spirited or so hot taking that they lose track of the fact that these are human beings playing this game. But also I would separate cover, you know, the criticism of you know, the game writ large that the league and what the league is doing at a given time changes it's making or the quality of the product. That's a different case or a different issue than how the players are feeling about being ripped apart on a maybe sometimes daily basis by some people who again have no interest in it other than their ability to market their takes.
Speaker 1: Do you think any of this has to do directly with the way that some of the inside guys handle it, The inside, you know, the inside of the NBA on TNT, which is still in my opinion the most entertaining studio show out for any sport, not just pro basketball. But it seems like there's a lot of players now that don't necessarily appreciate some of the the guff they get on that show. Do you think any of it's deeped with the inside stuff?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I mean, I think it's everything. I don't think it's anyone thing, and I don't want to, like, you know, get into names of various on air personalities on any of the networks. But there are people who obviously have made a living off of just you know, firing off takes on players and test sometimes taking it to illogical or unfair extremes, and you know, that's that is the unfortunately the media landscape we live in right now. I don't know, like you do have to ask to ask the ron. I don't know whether he's referring to Turner inside the NBA, whether referring to ESPN, whether it's referring to Fox Debate shows what I don't I don't know. I think this is more about this is less about how the game is being talked about in terms of what he said, than than the way he's been talked about I think he was referring to his own experience as the face of the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that makes sense. Hey, porter, will you effort Lebron. Let's get Lebron on to kind of ask him. We'll get him on to cast him directly, obviously tongue in cheek. Now, look, I'll tell you what, Howard, Not everybody covers a league through the prism of negativity. And the last couple of weeks I have turned on basketball and I have watched basketball players seem to care about playing basketball, and it is a reminder, Look, maybe this is just the world of basketball now that we all should just say, Look, we'll tach you after the All Star break, we'll hit you up in late February, early March. But the past couple of weeks, when these guys have been locked in, it is a reminder of what this league looks like and what this sport looks like when the best players are playing hard with a purpose.
Speaker 7: I mean, there were great games in October, November, December too, So I don't know, like I do think that there is such a thing as the dog days of the season, especially January. I do think that when we get back from the All Star break, and there's it's not even the midway point, it's it's beyond the midway point. There's usually like thirty thirty five games left, and when when the teams that especially know they're they're locking in for the postseason and have you know, the spring to look ahead to, and it's getting closer. It certainly brings a different level of focus and intensity.
Speaker 6: But like we were all raving about.
Speaker 7: Certain games back and I'm trying to remember, like there was a bunch involving the Warriors, involving the Thunder, like there were good games earlier in the season.
Speaker 5: Like it.
Speaker 7: I'm not I'm not sold on the idea that that suddenly the whole landscape changes the second we get back from the All Star Game. But you know, the problem is, in the context of the bigger conversation here, people's complaints about the league might be that, oh, we don't think guys play hard on the given night, or maybe because they didn't play hard in the All Star Game, or it's guys are load managing too much, or whatever. Like there's bits and pieces of all of this, and everybody's got a little bit different version of what's bothering them about the league at any given time, and so I just I don't know which part of that is the one that needs to.
Speaker 5: Be focused on.
Speaker 7: All right, I'm getting out of the car.
Speaker 5: Here real quick.
Speaker 1: Hold, I'm saying all good. Howard Beck is our guest, one of my favorite riders. He's joined my show for a number of years. You can get him on Blue Sky mostly. He is technically on Twitter, but he has been at a number of different places. He always does his job at a high level, and he does his job so well that he's going to see Brooklyn and Portland play tonight in person, which is very impressive. So let me just ask you point playing your opinion then instead of dancing around it, do you feel like from your dvantage point, uh, you know that the league is in a healthy place, you know, as opposed to what anyone else has to say about what does what does Howard Beck have to say about the current state of the NBA.
Speaker 5: I think it's.
Speaker 7: Fine, honestly, I really do. The game has changed, and some people don't like the way the game has changed stylistically. The load management part of it is an absolutely legitimate issue and concern, especially for fans who pay a lot of money go to a game. I'm bringing my daughter to a game soon and I don't want to say which game am I gonna do, But I'm I'm sitting there going like, are the players that I'm hoping are going to play that night going to be there? Because I don't worry about it the same way as anybody else does. Right, I've bought tickets that that's a serious concern, and the NBA they've tried to deal with it. We know that, you know, it was a you know, starting last season when they instituted all these rules to try to make sure that players were playing more often than not and not abusing the latitude that teams have.
Speaker 5: To rest guys. So those are issues.
Speaker 7: But the state of the game, honestly, it's fine. Like it. I think it's mostly depends on who you're rooting for. But thunder fans are thrilled with the state of the game, Sixer fans.
Speaker 6: Probably not so much.
Speaker 7: Suns fans probably a bit depressed right now. The Nets fans that I'll see in here tonight, you know, they they're just happy that their team is playing their butts off despite not having any stars. And you know they're hoping for a lottery balls Like I don't. I don't think the game is in crisis. I think that has been wildly overstated based on some early ratings data earlier in the season, a lot of which has kind of evened out. It's still down, but it's not down dramatically, and the league locked in a seventy billion dollar media right seal Like you know, that goes back to your your view of like the like the cynical take of like, yeah, it's just a business and they're just accruing value. And I think there's something to that, But I don't know where where are the crisis is here?
Speaker 1: All right? I will ask you because I often ask you these philosophical questions on how to fix certain issues, because I was talking to and your point about who you cheer for and where you're at currently as it pertains to your opinion of the state of the league is really good. And obviously out here there are a lot of people that are frustrated that we're in year three of this rebuild, and we focus on the good stories when they manifest. Walker Kessler had a great game the other night against THELMLSA Bonus, And there's some stuff with Isaiah Collier and Keyante George that are pretty exciting, but it does feel like every year about a third of the teams are just unseerious about winning. And I get it, and certainly out here I get it, and I think the Josh should have done this two years ago, as we've talked about. But is there is there any fix to this scenario where and John Hollinger wrote a good piece for The Athletic about this where you're either in the halves or the have nots, And it seems like every year about a third of the league as this, you know, this situation where they're not serious about winning, they're trying to develop young players and then a rebuild is hope that some young players pop, acquire assets, and then hope you get lucky in the lottery. Is this just the NBA where about a third of the teams every year are just not going to be able to compete with the top shelf team, so they go young, try to develop, and try to get lucky in the lottery.
Speaker 7: I wrote a very long piece last week during the Ringers NBA expansion week, as we called it. We'd a whole packs of stories about it. The idea of expansions been talked about so much, and it seems to be on the horizon, although as I reported, I think it's actually three to five years out still if it happened. But the piece I wrote was about kind of this, which is that there still aren't enough stars to go around, especially when you know stars like to join up with each other on ungiven teams, where teams you know, are able to get them on their own. Yeah, it's it's stars are a finite come out of This is a zero sum game. So we can look at the Jazz or the Nets and the Blazers, two teams I will see either tonight or the Wizards and say, well, they're rebuilding, they don't have enough talent whatever, They're in the have nuts category. They're hoping for lottery balls, they're hoping for something. The fact is, whether you're doing it intentionally or just because that's just where in the life cycle your team is, naturally you're trying to pursue stars that aren't there because they're on somebody else's team. It's a zero sum game. And we can talk about the fact that there's more talent than ever around the league today than ten fifteen twenty years ago, and there is, but it's not franchise star level talent. Like the Jazz have Lowry Markinen, who's a really good player, all NBA caliber, but that's not enough for them to win enough games to be in the playoff hunt. And you know, the Nets and the Wizards certainly traded away players to do their rebuilds. But the fact is there's so few true superstars or stars that you can do that and have. There still be a bunch of other teams that are still searching for talent as well, Like this is just the state of things. You can't possibly have thirty teams competitive at the same time, no matter how much Adam Silver has tried to engineer parody, and there is more parody now than there has been in.
Speaker 5: The history of the league.
Speaker 7: But it doesn't ensure that every team is going to have a chance every season to be a five hundred team or a playoff team.
Speaker 1: All right, I know you got to go. So let's get a couple of things that are actually going on in the league. Joel Embiid is going to miss the remainder of the season due to a knee injury, and it feels like This was the only course of action for a Philadelphia team that was just spiraling out of control. What's next for Philly? What's next for MB?
Speaker 5: Who knows what's next for MB?
Speaker 7: Because I don't think we really know the true extent of his knee problems, and he is notoriously private about his health and about whatever's going on at a given time. So the Sixers are not very forthcoming on these things and haven't been because MB doesn't want them to be, which is his prerogative. But it's frustrating if you're a Philly fan and you have no idea whether he's ever going to be himself again. So we don't know the answer to that, and if he's never himself again, and he just signed a massive extension last summer, they are screwed for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 5: On that alone.
Speaker 7: On top of that, they signed Paul George to a max four year deal, and you know he's on the downhill slide too, So they're shutting down EMBIID is the practical thing to do from a health standpoint, probably, but it's also the practical thing to do from a draft standpoint, because they owe a pick to Oklahoma that is top six protected. So if the Sixers pick lands in the top six, the Sixers get to keep it. If it's seventh or later, it's going to Oklahoma. So the the insult to injury here for Philadelphia is that their seasons already toast embiid is on the shelf, and if the pick is seventh or lower, it's going to Oklahoma instead of them getting the benefit in Philly. So there it is. There is in their best interests to shut down everybody at this stage. Do whatever you have to do, take the fines from the league, but do everything possible to have the worst record possible. And even that doesn't guarantee anything, because the lottery balls could bounce the wrong way and it could drop the Sixers to seven or eight or nine or whatever, and they could still lose the pick. So they do need to increase their odds of having a top six pick.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose, We'll let you get to the game. Uh, who keeps Mark dagnalled up that night? The most? Is it Denver? Is it La with those two? Is it Golden State with Jimmy? I mean, Oklahoma State clearly is entrenched themselves as the favorite. But who keeps Mark up that night the most, in your opinion.
Speaker 7: Probably Denver because they've got the best player on the planet in Jokic, and that the team that won a championship within the last couple of years. I think, you know, look, i'd be the first to say I don't want to face a Loop Lebron tandem at any time, but supporting cast is a little questionable. They don't have any size and you know, Lucas still trying to get his legs back under him. He's not shooting well yet. They'll probably come around. They look pretty good so far, but you know, let's check back in a few weeks or you know, a month or so. I don't I don't know that the Lakers as constructed have enough to make a run this year. They didn't make that trade for this year. They made that trade for the next ten years. And you know, with the Warriors, that one's interesting, like they're playing their butts off. They look really good. Steph goes for fifty six last night, and Butler's fit in perfectly. They have a little bit better depth in roster balance the Warriors than the Lakers do, So I'll put the manach ahead, but probably it's Denver Howard.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend. It's always fun. And enjoy that game that I had. I know you will and we'll chat soon. Thanks buddy, I'll try.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Pett great. Howard Beck now with the Ringers, spent some time with the New York Times, LA Times and was a nick beat writer for a number of years. He's a very talented NBA writer. He's worth your time to listen to and read. We appreciate his time. He technically is on Twitter, which is just his name at Howard Beck and from there you can get the link to Blue Sky, where I think he's posting more now, or just go to The Ringer dot com and search Howard Beck. Appreciate Howard's time, Yeah, if you missed it. Lebron James was asked about Anthony Davis. Anthony Davis said he's not really trying to be the face of the league, and Lebron said, quote, why do you want to be the face of the league when all the people that cover our game and talk about our game on a day to day basis bleep on everybody. Obviously I didn't ask to be the face of the league. I feel and I understand this is weird energy when it comes to that, and there's been a lot of reaction about it. And as I reference to Howard, you know, I'm one that has spent my entire life around pro basketball, and I've always enjoyed it. I enjoyed playing as much as I could before, you know, I had to find something else to do because I couldn't keep up with pros. And I enjoy covering it. I enjoy watching it, and it is a different league than was back in the day, and certainly there's an argument to be made that it's time just to shut up and embrace it. It is what it is, and it is overstated a little bit as far as players not going hard all the time, but it's not entirely overstated. I watch this league a lot, and there are plenty of nights when I'm watching games I'm excited to watch where those guys are nailing it in man. Then there are plenty of games I sit down and watch it are awesome. And ever since this league came back from the All Star Break, there have been a lot of games that have been worth watching. Players are showing up and they're playing hard. But we shouldn't have to wait for that to be consistent for like four months, Like, show up and do your job. Man, You're getting paid a lot of money. The fans show up and they watch, and I do think players have an obligation of fans, even though players don't seem to think that they do. And sometimes they say the quiet heart out loud, like Kevin Durant did when he said, we don't ever really take any consideration what the fans have to say. And if that's the attitude, you are going to turn a lot of people off. And quite frankly, I think pro basketball has That's just my opinion. But the Warriors game was awesome last night. The Bucks and the Nuggets played a really good game. Lakers and the Timberwolves played a really good game. And tonight we've got Jazz basketball as Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley, in addition to Joe Ingles and Nikhil Alexander Walker are back in town with the Minnesota Timberwolves, and it'll be fun to kind of see those guys and hopefully they get a good rowd of applause and ovation. I imagine they would. Timberwolves good team, not a great team. Just about five hundred Jazz on that first round pick. So maybe the Jazz try to get a win. Tonight seven thirty is your tip time. As the NBA is kind of on the stretch. Run now got Nuggets Pistons, which I wouldn't have said is a good game. A couple of weeks ago. The Pistons run off eight straight games, and I try to you oftentimes cover the league and talk about teams that were in the position the Jazz are just a few years ago. Detroit won eight games last year. They've won eight straight games right now, and they've got Kate Cunningham. Obviously. You know, it's like Orlando WITHO. You know some of these teams that were rebuilding and now looking a little bit better. Well, they've got cornerstones in the way in a way, the Jazz is don't. The Calves are at the Celtics tonight to TD Garden, so that should be a fun one. Clippers Lakers late night game at Crypto dot Com Arena. All right, we are live today out here at Tim Dally Nissan. It's forty five to twenty eight South State Street. They're opening till eight o'clock. So if you can't get here while we're here until about six tonight. You can come by after work if you get off or whatever. At forty five twenty eight South State Street. They've got special financing. It's their year end clearance events. Special financing as low as zero percent, zero money down as well then no payments for two months. End of the month is the best time to buy. It's the last day of February. Good riddance. By the way. March is here tomorrow forty five to twenty eighth South State Street. It's their end of year clearance event with special financing available as low as zero percent. They're also offering some really nice cars with no money down and no payments for two months. So it's a good time to buy a vehicle if you're in the market for come on by and say hi at forty five twenty eight South State Street. The sun is shining. It's been a week that feels like spring, and I do believe Paul Pugmyer, we actually have some local tracks open for business this weekend. Yes, sir, is that right?
Speaker 8: There are a few yep down in the bottom part of the valley and actually up in Davis County Valley View who has opened nine holes to walking only, So there's that.
Speaker 1: Don't tease me. Are you playing?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna get it? Are you gonna get out of the swinger club? This this this weekend?
Speaker 8: Planning on it?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 1: Can you tell me where one more good for you? How's How's? How's the game? How's the game? Right now?
Speaker 8: It's pretty rusty and uh, pretty rickety. I need some work.
Speaker 1: I'm going to try to get out to Nibley play nine tomorrow and nine and sun. I have not swung a club since November. Paul, So what are the what are the main challenges of getting back into it after a number of months off because I'm planning on not playing well, but I'm going to try to not get frustrated.
Speaker 8: The short game will go first, and it's it's takes a little longer to come back. So if you hit some skanky chips, give yourself some grace. It's kind of the way it's going to go.
Speaker 1: Did you say skanky chips?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: I did not know that was a term. I'm going to use that here now. Yeah, put a little Paul Pugmyer, our guests, heos our golf radio show every Saturday morning. Put a little context on Jake Knapp going low with a fifty nine round one at the Cognizant Classic in the Palm Beaches.
Speaker 8: Well, that was great stuff. I was able to catch the last or tail end of it, and he was very calm about it all, which you got to be in a situation like that in order to get over the finish line. But he it was really funny. This is Jack Nicholas's course, referred to both lovingly and derisively as the bear Trap, and it has a tradition and a reputation of being very, very hard. But a combination of some overseating that they did on the grass that made the fairways softer, which makes them play effectively wider, combined with an odd situation of zero wind, the course was playing easy. It was gettable, and by and large people were complaining about it. And then a nap comes in with the fifty nine and they say, see told you so, And my reaction was, well, what'd you shoot? And nobody got anywhere near him, and so it was the fifteenth sub sixty round shot in PGA tour history. The first goes back to nineteen seventy seven when al Geiberger did it in Memphis and then there was like like ten or twelve years before anybody did it again below. The sub sixty rounds are coming more quickly now, and there's been fifteen of them. It was a great round at twelve birdies, no bogies, fifty nine really really great.
Speaker 1: Follows it up with a seventy round two because golf is ridiculous. Tell me about this young man. I don't know much about Jake dot Tell me about him.
Speaker 8: Well, he is a winner. He won down in next school last year, and he's also got a really interesting backstory. I appreciate you asking about it. He is a bomber. He generates stupid club hit speed hits it a long ways, and he lost his corn Ferry tour card a couple of years. He had no status and so to pay rent, he was working as a bouncer at a bar. And the reason he took that job was so he could work at night and practice during the daylight hours. And he's, you know, he's a stout young man and uh filled the role of the bouncer pretty well. But he did that until he got his game back, got his status back, and he made real good use at that time, and he got got through the PiZZ Corn Ferry tour, got a card and on tour he's got a win to his credit. And now he's done this and he seems like a really good guy. Everybody who knows him says that they like him. He's, you know, the good guy. So got that.
Speaker 1: So we talked to you last week while the Mexico opened at Verdonta. World was going on and you know, Paul, uh Full Swing Season three is out and I'm not through it, but I watched I watched one last night did feature Rory and uh, you know they and I want to talk to you about the US Open last year. He missed those two short putts two of the final three holes and when you see when you when you see the way Full Swing covered it, it just was even more gutting for him. But he dropped the line. He said, if you only and I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of if you only analyze your golf when it comes to winning and losing, you're in for a career of misery, right, And I was like, oh man, what a line. And that leads me to asking you about Brian Campbell, because my man has one hundred and eighty eight starts in the Corn Ferry Tour and the PGA Tour, and he broke through with a win, and it just it makes golf so unique this way. You know, there's not another sport like if you went, oh to one eighty eight in basketball, you're not keeping your job. And he he had one hundred and eighty eight starts before he got his first win. And one of the things I love about watching the end of these tournaments when it's a guy like Brian Campbell, who I don't know anything about, is you see him instantly change his life in a moment, and it really is what makes golf unique. What was it like for you to watch this guy? And when he was interviewed afterwards, he just said, it's about my grind and there were times where I wanted to quit. It's my girlfriend, it's my family, they encourage me to keep going. But Brian Campbell's life instantly changed last week in Mexico after playing one hundred and eighty eight tournaments. Give me your thoughts on that, well, you.
Speaker 8: Are so right. Look his obituary's opening paragraph got written. It'll start off saying PGA Tour winner Brian Campbell, and you're right. Everything changes from there, and the nature of golf, where the individual has to do everything, really puts the emphasis on winning, just like you just did. You know, a guy can be the twelfth player on an NBA team and can contribute and can be there when they win the championship, even if he's not in the headline. But that kind of thing doesn't happen in golf. You've got to do it all. You got to do it all yourself, and you've got to to do it all at the right time in order to get the win the win. And I love Campbell's story. It was grind he is, he's never been a big hitter, and he's in the field at down at Vidanta. He was the shortest hitter statistically in the field, and yet what do you do he won. Another thing was, you know, he got just an unreasonably incredibly good bounce off to the tree on the final hole, and he took advantage of it. He paid it off. Now, good bounce has happened. Bad bounces happened ones on Thursday, we forget about. But this happened on Sunday, Sunday afternoon, with the cameras rolling when everything mattered and he paid it off. He made it work. And people will remember the bounce, but I hope they also remember the wedge he hit the six feet after he got the bounce. That was a great shot and he made that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. And that's ultimately what I've learned, you know, the past five years or so, really getting into this and wanting to get better at it is you have to have that goldfish memory. Man. You have to put the last shot behind you. Because when I saw that bounce, I'm like, oh, they're not too different than we are. That looked like me on for ad Bonneville that I've hooked it in the trees several times and pray that it bounces back out. But what about the Aldrich pot Guid kid. I don't know much about him. You pointed him out, and you know, it was pretty fascinating when they went to the playoff. It wasn't just Campbell who needed some luck pot Guid. You know, he was just roping everything all tournament long, and down the stretch. The moment got a little too big for him, didn't it.
Speaker 8: It did get too big for him. Now, One thing to keep in mind about him is that he's only twenty. He has not yet experienced any grind. He is the youngest PGA Tour cardholder. Yeah, he's one of these guys who chose to forego college went straight to the pro game. He's only twenty years old. He can't go in and buy a beer, and he's out there competing for these PGA Tour titles. This is a kid who is the antithesis of Campbell. He just drips talent. He is incredibly strong and fast. He hits the ball a ton. He will make a lot of noise. There's a lot of trophies waiting with his name on it, but he hasn't yet learned how to handle the moment. And I say that with no condemnation good Land. At twenty, I was still trying to figure out how to burp the alphabet.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 8: He just hasn't had a chance to figure it out yet.
Speaker 1: And it showed, Paul, most of us stopped trying to burp the alphabet at ten. Why were you trying to do that at twenty? Oh?
Speaker 8: I had bricks for brains. What can I say?
Speaker 5: Fair enough?
Speaker 1: Fair enough? Okay, let me move over to because again it's top of mind. I watched the event or the doc last night, and you know, I had forgotten that Tony finished tied for third. We can't lay at the US Open last year at pine He still a great, great tournament for him. But what was your reaction, and now that it's been you know a number of months to the way that Rory just and I want, I don't want to say fell apart. He just missed two what looked like gimme's short putts at the end of you know, two of the final three holes, Rory had like three foot putts, and I didn't realize he had hit four hundred and eighty three of the four hundred and eighty three chances he had from three feet prior to sixteen and eighteen. I mean, I don't know how you digest that. Now, Rory's been great this year, but let's go back a little bit. What are your memories of watching Rory kind of really just blow it down the stretch there?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, the pet on eighteen will live forever, which is unfortunate, but it will. And I actually had had the unusual good fortune to be at Pinehurst a few months later, and I went out there on eighteen and stood over where that pet was. I didn't play number two, but I played one of the other courses and had a caddy show me exactly where Rory was. And that putt is one the good players are going to miss half the time. It was a brutal putt. Yeah, and Rory missed it in the worst possible moment. But part of the story also, it isn't just that Rory missed that putt. It's that Dave Chambeau. He was hitting his driver all over the county and he kept getting decent brakes where he could have a shot and hack it back down into play. And if you roll the tape backward ten minutes, you'll see that he did exactly that. Hit it way left on eighteen seventy second hole on Sunday and just had to bump it up the fair way and to have set up an attempt to make part by getting up and down. He hit it a little bit too far and hit it into a bunker. And then he hit one of the greatest shots ever hit in the history of the game. And the shot two yard shot that he hit out of the bunker to four feet that will live forever too. You can take great players and drop them in that same spot and give him one hundred balls and half of them will never get it within four feet. But Dey Chambeau did it in that moment. So it was the combination of all those things coming together. And what can I say, that's the US Open, that's Pinehurst number two, That's that's why we pay money to watch and play.
Speaker 1: Doesn't feel like too long ago where Bryson and you know what, in my opinion, it was his own faults. Was like villain number one in the world of pro golf. I mean, and look, every time he would hold a press conference, he would just come up with some sort of algorithm, algorithmic mathematic explanation about why he's better and smarter than everybody else. And I just think at some point people are like, dude, we get it, just shut up. But he's he's really found a way to turn his personal narrative around.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not a huge fan, but I learned a lot watching the documentary. Look like he lost his father, certainly at a very young age, and that I think kind of I don't know if humbled him or you know, decided to change his focus on what he wanted to do. I don't watch his YouTube channel, but I know millions of people do. But he seems to have gone from this dude that nobody could stand to one of the biggest stars in golf, even though he plays for Live. What are your thoughts on his ability to change that narrative and how do you think he's been able to do it.
Speaker 8: It's remarkable and I think that he's been able to do it because he is a guy who absolutely goes off the data. Now what I mean here in this case is when people are talking to him and saying exactly what you just said, he listened, and he viewed it as as data input to be used for analysis and action. And he made changes and that's a hard thing. A lot of people don't and they're not they're not willing to or they can't, and he changed the way he approached things. I am a big fan. I have been since he was at SMU, and I've had a couple of opportunities personally to spend a little time with him and interact with him, and he has been just absolutely golden to me. He's been nothing but really really good to me. Plus Tony Fenale's former caddy caddie Greg Boudine is now caddying for Bryson, and I think that's a cool connection for us here in Utah. But he listened to what people were saying and he realized he needed to make some changes. He used his YouTube channel and his Instagram account to communicate directly with people and to show a different side of himself. And the turnaround in his public persona has been remarkable. I admire him for it, and he's figured out a way to have fun and to convey fun on his social media. That thing he did hitting the ball over his house trying to make a hole in run, that that was a gas and I applaud him for it.
Speaker 1: Interesting you reference Caddies episode four, Full Swing. They entitled it Carrying the Burden, and they followed Scotty Scheffler and so he Tagala and it was really all about uh, their their caddies, and you know, ultimately it was interesting to learn, Like I didn't know much about Ted Scott, but he was on Bubba's bag when Bubba won a couple of green jackets, and uh, you know, ultimately, just I don't know if it was the live stuff. He just decided to uh, go his his his separate way to do his own thing, and then received a phone call that changed his life from a young man named Scotty Scheffler. Uh And obviously when Ted first started working with Scotty, Scotty wasn't the full bake Scotty that we see now as the best player in the world. But just your experience, your knowledge of how important the right partnership is and the roles that caddies play. Because one of the coolest things I can't remember Scotty won like seventy times. I don't remember which tournament he was where he had you know, it was the Masters where he had Ted just make the walk with him after Ted grabbed the flag. But what makes this partnership so rock solid and what is the secret Sauce Paul between a great player and a great caddy.
Speaker 8: Trust communication, willingness to be candid in a tense moment, willingness to disagree when that needs to happen as well. It is a central relationship and a central function to the success of a player. Interestingly, it didn't used to be a couple of generations ago. Players used to really treat their caddies as second class citizens. Just you know, show up, keep up, and shut up with the mantra. And interestingly, the players who changed that are players whose names we know and it contributed to their success. And it was Jack Nicholas with Angelo Dundee. It was Tom Watson with Bruce Edwards, and it was Johnny Miller with Andy Martinez. And those three players really built relationships with their caddies, made their caddies trusted collaborators on the execution of the round, and their record showed it, and then everybody else, oh there's something there, and it's become the norm. But it took great players to make the change, and it's been a very pots that have changed for the game. A caddy now plays a role that coaches do in other sports. To think about it, they're right out there on the field of play, thinking through and discussing and helping to execute on the field of play. It's it's a really important relationship.
Speaker 1: I got a kick out, excuse me, I got a kick out of Ted saying he wasn't sure if he wanted to work with Scotty because Scotty had a little fire in him, and you know, there was there were clips of Scotty he threw a putter at one point, and Scotty himself said he would get really frustrated, and and you know, ultimately, I can't imagine how Ted would feel if he said no to that gig at this point, which obviously has made him a really rich man. But it's interesting, after watching the full swing up on Scotty to witness what he's doing today because he is the exact opposite of a hothead. He is measured. When he hits a bad shot, he's on to the next. Does Ted deserve some credit for this? What? What? What have you seen as far as the evolution of simply the controlling of emotions from the world number one right now, Scott Scheffler.
Speaker 8: Yes, Ted Scott gets credit for that, not all of it. I think that Scheffler's family, his father in particular, and I think Scheffler getting married and his wife Meredith has given him a foundation and a footing that he didn't have before. And you know, if that applies to how many of the rest of us as well?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: And uh it?
Speaker 8: But yes, Ted Scott deserves most of the credit because again he is there on the field of play in the moment, dealing with the play at hand in the moment, and he deserves a great amount of credit for that. It is and it is interesting to when you say he's become wealthy doing it. He has his his share, his his percentage. With what Sheffler did last year would have put him in the top twenty of players on the money list on the PGA Tour. It's great.
Speaker 1: The other duo they focused on was Carl Smith and Saheita Gala. Really cool story. Carl recruited Saheath when he was younger to play college golf, and then Carl left the program to caddy, and so Heath still went to the schools escaping me, but he still went to the school, played well, and then ultimately decided he wanted Carl to caddy for him and sa Heath Paul is one of those guys that at times I watch, I'm like, man, he can be a beast, you know what I mean? Like, what are your thoughts on his game and how he's evolving.
Speaker 8: So I appreciate you asking. There's a little local connection with Saheith. The college in question is Pepperdine and you used to be in the conference with BYU and so Sahtha would come to provo sometimes twice a year during those years, and so I've been down to Riverside and followed him in the Cougar Classic, and then when BYU hosted the conference championship, and it was pretty clear, this kid's gonna make some noise. It was, it was obvious. Now, what's interesting there is when he was in college, he was a lot more rough edged, and he what you see out of him as an adult, a full adult at this point, and a professional with a professional caddy. He's much more refined and much more polished now than he was when he was twenty. But again, you know, aren't we all, but but it was it was really clear when he was in college that he was going to be very good. But it's been fun to watch him grow up and fun to watch him mature and become a player who is legitimately appropriately a crowd favorite. I am a big sit. He's Taghla fan, and I want to see him do really well.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the leaderboard here, Cogs is in Classic and it seems like Joel Damon while we're just leaning into the next Netflix Netflix stuff, he's not as prominently featured. At least I've only watched four episodes, but Joel's tied for fifteenth. He is now I think this year there's something different about his approach. I don't know what it is. That Netflix season two certainly outlined some difficult personal issues he seemed to be going through. Do you have any insight as to why Joel Damon seems to be, you know, at least in the hunt with most tournaments he's played so far this year.
Speaker 8: I wish I did, because he's the kind of player. He's got a lot of talent, But I don't think he has ever fully believed that he deserves to be one of the top hundred players in the world. But he is, and maybe he's just coming to an acceptance of, oh hey, I actually am this good. There's an interesting backstory on Joel here. Just this last year, he was the last one to he snuck in getting a tour card, getting his full status in the last couple of holes of the last tournament, the last chance to get it here the last fall, and he is one actually who knocked Zach Blair, our local kid, knocked him out of having a card. And Joel is making full use of this opportunity. He's doing pretty well, this year he's in the mid fifties somewhere on his ranking on the FedEx Tour or the FedEx Points list, and so he's making use of the opportunity he gave himself. And that's pretty cool. I respect him for.
Speaker 1: That is Tony in this tournament. I'm looking at the Yeah, we have Patrick fishburn right, Fishburne's time.
Speaker 8: Yet playing fish fish makes the weekend, he goes sixty seven, seventy and he's, uh, he was like T forty five an hour ago, but that's going to jump all over over the next hour or so.
Speaker 5: But but but he'll he'll play.
Speaker 8: The weekend, and which is a bit of a bounce back he had. He had Fishburne had one of the most brutal kick in the head experiences, and golf loves to give us those.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 8: He was T five after the first round down in Mexico last week and ended up missing the cut because his second round was just so brutal, and Patrick said, look, I just clan played that. There's no reason for it. I played that, And that happens. It happens in every sport, but golf. It's it's pretty, it's pretty bare, it's pretty naked and out there for everybody to see when it happens like that.
Speaker 1: All right, Paul, Before I say you lose a big show, cut up tomorrow.
Speaker 8: What do we got, Well, we're gonna do some fun things tomorrow. We're gonna touch base with John cool Bob, the tournament director for both the Black Desert PGA event and the upcoming Black Desert LPGA event. They're on this six month cycle, which is really tough. We're going to catch up with cool Bond, see how things go in preparing for the LPGA coming to town in May, coming to Saint George in May. And we're also going to touch base with some people who are in back of a new economics impact study on what golf means to the economy of Utah. That's going to be really interesting. I'm looking forward to that conversation.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, my friend. Well, I appreciate the time, have a great show, and we'll get you on Sue.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, Paul Pogmyer. Time now for our PGA to Leaderboard update. It's brought to you by you went to golf and Worldwide Golf Shops. Go to Worldwide Golf Shops dot com. You can experience the future of performance with the new Callaway shaping materials and the AI ten times smart face delivering up to eight yards longer with even more forgiveness. You went to golf, as we reference right now the PGA Tours in the midst of its Florida swing, and it's the Cognizant Classic in the Palm Beaches right now being played at the PGA National Resort and SPA the Champion Course, and right now after fifty nine yesterday, Jake Knapp followed it up with a seventy, but still good enough to have the lead. Jake is in the clubhouse at thirteen under. Then it's Matthew Pavone at twelve under parr, Doug Gim and Michael Kim in addition at Daniel Berger and yes pruspencent are at eleven under par. Then it's Taylor Montgomery, Zach Johnson and Ricky Fowler at ten under parr. As we referenced, our local representation is Patrick Fishburne, who will make the cut. He's tied for forty eight at five under PARR. A lot of big time names in this tournament. Jordan Speith is playing well in addition to Shane lowry, but no Tony final in this event. All right, two hours down, two hour to go. We're live today, Tim Dally Nissan, which is forty five twenty eight South State Street, open until eight o'clock tonight. It's their end of year clearance event. Special financing as low as zero percent, zero money down and no payments for two months. Great time to buy a vehicle. If you're in the market, stop by ken or excuse me, Tim Dolly Nissan. All right, we're live today, Tim Dally Nissan at forty five twenty eight South State Streets there, open until eight o'clock tonight. It's their year end clearance event, special financing as low as zero percent, zero money down, no payments made for two months. So if you're in the market for a vehicle, come on buy at forty five twenty eight South Stage Street here in Salt Lake City. I thought my wallet had been stolen during the break. It was not. It was in my car, but a moment of panic and we'll welcome in our next guest, Spencer Lynton. Spencer, have you ever had your wallet stolen or have you ever lost your wallet?
Speaker 9: Funny you asked that, Spence, because yes, and it happened in Miami and a five star hotel. No less, I was hanging out ten feet away from my wallet and my phone at the pool, turned my back for probably fifteen seconds, and came back. Both gone done. It was not easy getting home. Not a great trip to Miami.
Speaker 1: Would you rather lose your wallet or your phone?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: Man? Probably my phone because obtaining all of the government issued IDs and things that go along with licenses and being able to get on a plane and go home, like that's harder to replace. Like a phone. Right now, with the technology we have, you can just straight wipe it like you can wipe it and as soon as it turns back on, like there are some safety protocols put in place. So for me, it's a phone.
Speaker 1: Do you feel differently, No, I think that's probably the right call. I mean answer is, see neither, because it will ruin your weekend and cause a lot of anxiety. But I'm good, got my wallet. We're locked in. Man. How you been, Spencer Litton b YU TV on the program on a Friday, How you doing, Man? Everything good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Doing well? Interesting time of the year, no doubt. Was spring football kicking off for the local teams here in the b High State and then the home stretch as we push toward March maddness. It's a little chaotic, but yeah, really really entertaining time of year, no doubt about.
Speaker 1: It, for sure. And it's been pretty remarkable to watch the evolution of this basketball team after a pretty rough start, and you know, it was easy to see early on even in some of the losses, like there's juice on that roster, there's offensive talent on that roster. If Kevin figures out his rotation and if they start to gel, you know, they could be a dangerous team. So let's just start with your overall thoughts. Now, five straight wins, which is the most in BYU's Big twelve adventure, started in Morgantown and then you guys have West Virginia tomorrow. What stands out most about the past five games for BYU Spencer, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 9: You have to start with BYU finding out how to handle the rotation and everybody truly buying into what Kevin Young is trying to do. And there was some resistance at first, and I understand why there was resistance when you look at a guy like Doallen Hall and him going from starter last year on a team that was a six seed in the NCAA tournament and finished tied for fifth in the Big twelve, and everything they did in Mark Pope's final year at BYU. Like to be relegated, that's a tough pill to swallow. And then to have to kind of reinvent yourself with what Kevin Young wants you to do and how do you mesh with this lottery freshman phenom in yegor demi and how do you split minutes? It just it just took time. And I think I shared it with you when you called me a little over a month ago when BYU was struggling a little bit, and I shared an analogy and correct me if I'm wrong. But I used getting a new set of clubs and then being given a professional swing coach. And you have all the nicest equipment and incredible swing coach, and you have access to all these courses. But just because you get a new set of golf clubs doesn't mean automatically you're gonna show up with the course and just beat immediately better, Like, oh, I'm better, I have new clubs, I'm better, I have a swing coach, I'm better. It just takes time to work with said coach and your new equipment, figure out what you got to do with it to then go out and play your game at the highest level possible. And so it's just taken time. And now he has locked in that rotation and it is a deep rotation. They can go less and deep on the bench and are doing so regularly with a couple of guys playing, you know, sparse minutes here and there between Trey Stewart and Mihailo Boskovic. Those guys would come in and give you why you would change of pace to go along with the nine regulars. And it's just been really really interesting and entertaining to watch him and his staff hone in on what is working best. And obviously during this five game win streak they've been able to flex a little bit and taking a little bit of luck for sure down in Arizona. But I mean outside of that, they've just been playing really really high level basketball. And we're talking about a team that is starting to shoot it well. Eleven mad threes per game almost that's an insane number for a college team. But this is what by you brought Kevin Young in to do as one of the most brilliant offensive minds in the game.
Speaker 1: Since you brought up Arizona, my guy, I'm gonna we're gonna lean into it for a second year. Okay. So so look, there are a few things that are true. Okay, there are a few things that are true, and we're not great at that in this country at acknowledging a few different sides. The officiating wasn't awesome, and BYU was on the wrong side of some calls. But I listened to you, and I've listened to Shep and Greg and Spencer. My man, that was not a foul at the end of the game. It just it just wasn't. Look credit Richie steps out, knockdown the free throws, and there was inconsistent officiating. BYU was on the wrong side of some calls. But the final play, my man, my man, you got to help me out here. That just wasn't a foul. It just wasn't.
Speaker 9: It's tough to make that call in that scenario, No question, like it benefited BYU. I'm not shying away from that. I guess my point was, and maybe I didn't portray it the right way and how I said it on the show, but it feels like Richie was very, very aware of how that game had been officiated, and so he chose to try and initiate something in a game that was poorly officiated. And he's a really smart player to try and take advantage of how that game had been called in ninety nine out of one hundred games and scenarios, You're right, that is not a foul call. But because it was so poorly officiated, I thought from start to finish and Arizona getting calls and Boa getting questionable calls, it kind of didn't surprise me. But Richie's a really good player. He sold it. It wasn't a foul, but he did his part. Still had to step up and make some really really high pressure free throws and BYU was lucky to get out of there, but sometimes you need a lucky break like that. And so yeah, not dodging that. I know that the alternate angles came out, and that kind of gave me pause where it's like, okay, well they kind of knocked me these a little bit, and there's a little bit of a hip slide there, but it's in slow motion and like the officials got one chance to look at it, and I know Tony Fadiaz had his history with uton By for Bethan worse, but yeah, I'm not going to shy away from it. Man, Like, you're right, it's not a foul, but given the way that game was officiated, I was not surprised that it was called a foul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you hang ninety six and Michale you deserve to at least be in the mix. And I'm not taking anything away from the wind because I'm never one to believe that one call is enough to explain away a result, even if it's that call at that time. Let me ask you this, and I don't know if you guys have addressed it on the show, but yeah, you know, like you know my background and whatever, there's this story about another chant about bleep the Mormons or whatever it is, Like, I don't shy away from the conversation. Some people do, and I do believe this is such a double standard in so many different ways. And I'm not a big fan of what Aboutism's but if this was bleep the insert religion here or bleep the insert ethnicity here, this would be a national story. And I just and look, I talked about this on the show. I have a pretty unique prism and experience of being. You know, an LDS kid from Salt Lake City, Utah, suddenly planted in the northeast at the age of eleven, and this was nineteen ninety and I was treated like a total outcast. This was far before the church had a footprint back there that it does now. And I know what it's like to be around people that simply don't know culturally what else Yes people are about. And I was there were kids that were clearly getting information from their parents, asking me questions like I would go to school and be like, I'm pretty sure my dad has only the one wife and it's my mom. That's been the deal the entire time. I know, you guys are asking me like And so I understand that there is a large portion of our country, even in the year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, that view the prism of LDS culture as odd and unfamiliar. But it just it can't. It can't mean the chants like that are okay, and it shouldn't dissuade people like us that have a microphone from talking about I just wonder how those things land down there with you when your fellow BYU media members and people down in Provo.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I appreciate you bringing this up, And truthfully, I think I have been conditioned over the years to just kind of let it roll off your back and love them back and turn the other cheek and don't worry about it. But at some point you have to say, Okay, now that's just craft and cheap and lazy, Like, can we have a conversation about this, because just because the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and how they're called obviously referred to still as the Mormons are just an easy target. I hate that excuse. Well, it's just an easy target because you're weird, So just deal with it. It's just part of the deal. Like, at what point do we say, well, maybe we don't like it, maybe it's it's hurtful and it's annoying. But for a long time, and even still now today, I kind of have come from a standpoint of, well, you know, they hate what they don't understand, and let's just go ahead and turn the other cheek and love them and hope for something better. But again, at some point you have to stand up and say, hey, we don't like that, We would appreciate having a conversation about it so that it doesn't happen again, And so I was happy to see some of the conversation that came from this, and I super appreciate Tommy Lloyd and think he is an absolute class act as Arizona's head coach. Not only one did he address the bigger concern with the game after a terrible foul call hurt his team and cost his team the game in some ways, but he pointed to the bigger picture of my team's got bigger issues. And then later on down the week, as he's preparing for another game, he talked about how his fans need to be better and you need to not take those shots. And so it was just kind of this cool galvanizing moment between the staffs at Arizona and DYU and for some of Arizona fans to come out and say, you know what, it's not okay, and we will be better. So, yeah, we're making a little bit of progress, but it is an unfortunate banner that so many fan bases have joined in recent years, and you would think that in twenty forty five, as you pointed out, we would be better than that.
Speaker 5: But here we are yet again.
Speaker 1: One more thing on this and I'll ask you the question that you asked my guys Shep today. I want you to dish on a little tea. You ready for it? It was a perfect question to ask Shep, who's such a tmz honk. But I wonder if part of this and we're just talking about louder because honestly, I don't know if there's anything here. But you know, the LDS exposure through pop culture over the past three four years, I don't think it's done the church a lot of good things. I just don't And you know, whether it's Real Housewives stuff or the Hulu show or the junk stuff, you know, the Sister Wives show. I wonder how much of that that people are digesting gives them a completely inaccurate idea of the way the culture is actually, you know, in reality when you experience it, do you think there's anything there? Spencer?
Speaker 9: Yes, And you know what people like the strange and abnormal and weird this is they gravitate too. These are why these are the most stream shows, unfortunately in broadcast media, because the real story, Spence is probably a little boring. How often do we hear. Yeah, I grew up with some Mormon neighbors and they were super nice and they always respected the laws of the land, and they were cool, and they didn't drink and they were responsible, and I never had an issue with our families interacting. It just seems kind of boring, like, yeah, it's good, I choose that all the time, but it's not worthy of what the world perceived as entertainment value. No one's signing up to watch the show when it's just, oh, yeah, those people are nice, and they helped me do my yard work, and they shovel my walk when I can't do it, and they went down into some yardwork for this elderly grandma on our yard in our neighborhood life. We don't hear enough about that stuff. I wish we could cast more of a light on that. But I truly believe that it just comes down to, well, what's weird and what's kind of that landish, how do we build a show in it so that we can make money and sell advertising and we can all get rich. And so it is uncomfortably becoming more and more common to see the things that you are pointing out, and those shows because people.
Speaker 8: Just want extremes.
Speaker 9: They want extremes, and they want to talk about it, and they want a gossip about it. And it's kind of an unfortunate diet tribe on what our society is becoming in broadcast consumption.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said you referenced Tommy Lloyd. And you know Tommy after you know, after the BYU game. Now he handled that and you know, Utah, we've had a change up here, as you know, Craig has been relieved of his duties and two of Craig's sons are with the program once the director of ops. The others is a walk on. And unfortunately josh Isilc's first task was to take Utah and to McHale and there's no way that was going to go well. But after the game, I thought Tommy Lloyd handled it again just perfectly where he pointed out the two sons and how they showed up for work, and that would be I mean, look, my dad wasn't a coach, but he was an executive. I mean we had to uproot our family four or five different times for his career. There's a personal side of this that we don't do a very good job covering because fans want to know what happened and what's next. But I wonder from Afar down there, your take on what we've had going on up here with Craig losing his job. Wow.
Speaker 9: Well, let me say this, all of my interactions with Craig Smith, and they've been limited, have been super positive. I really really enjoy that guy. I think he is an outstanding basketball coach. It won't take him long to find a good landing spot. Whether that's as a head coach somewhere else so or as a high level assistant. I don't know, but he's going to find a good landing spot because I think he's a fantastic human and a fantastic basketball coach. I was a little shock Spence because I thought that he was finally starting to get some grounding. Like when Utah beat Kansas State or at Kansas and Kansas State back to back and they're middle of the pack in the Big Club, I thought, Okay, there may be on the cusp of something.
Speaker 10: Maybe they gave them one more year to try and build, and I thought, maybe Utah is going to be a tournament team next year if he can build the core and keep his people and use this momentum in the Big twelve with those two big wins against the Sunflower State, I.
Speaker 9: Thought, cool, good for Craig. They're figuring some things out, and then they lose at UCF and then all of a sudden he's out of a job, and so I was stunned. I hate it for the Smith family, especially when I thought that he had finally started to figure some things out, and I think he was getting a lot out of the talent that he had up there, and if you had given him some real nil support and true support from an athletics standpoint, that he go out and do some damage and recruit that they were on the cusp of being an NCAA tournament team.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 9: Well, reading the teavs, I'm guessing Utah absolutely has one or two clear candidates in mind, maybe three, and they want to return to who I believe some of those legacy guys that will bring in immediate injection of enthusiasm and support and booster donations into it. So obviously, if they can hire a guy like Alex Jenson, it would be the best case scenario. Trust me, from a guy who's watched what Kevin Young has done as an NBA assistant with his connections and ability to develop NBA players and recruit those guys. I think Alex Jansen would be a home run higher. Hate that it comes at a time when I felt like Craig had started to in some ways turn a corner. But hopefully Utah makes the right higher, and I hope that it's Alex Jenson. I think he is dynamite. I don't know what the true interest level is there, but he's going to pick a time to leave Dallas and the NBA as an assistant this and take this job at Utah. Man of a huge get for the you and returning to them to their basketball glory. Man, you and I we grew up. Utah basketball was everything just there, Jerif Sweater, the files forward.
Speaker 5: It was so fun.
Speaker 9: And I don't care any yu fanas kidding themselves. They didn't think that that wasn't fun to watch those guys Andre Miller and Alex Jensen and the Johnson brothers do their thing, and before that, Keith van Horn. Those were glorious years for Utah basketball. And this rivalry is better when they are good at basketball.
Speaker 1: Well said, all right, I'll have a football question, but before we get there, what do you think? So you know, last year's team I thought was playing pretty well entering the NCAA tournament, and I thought if they could knock down some shots and get the right matchup, they could win a couple of games. And it was the day day grand Kid in Ducane last year that Ouse did Yu in the first round. And I think it's been what since Jimmer byus not want to take a game inside the round of sixty four they won a first four in game or whatever. But when I watched this team this year and when they are at their peak, they feel more dangerous and more complete than the team a year ago. And they're deeper as well. So if you expand your imagination, what's the ceiling for Kevin's team this year NCAA tournament style?
Speaker 9: Yeah, fantastic question, with a lot of layers there. I agree with you this team. Do they not have a little bit of the twenty twenty vibe before we sadly were shut down by that whole COVID pandemic, Like I get some vibes from this BUA team that I had with that team, they shoot the three incredibly well, their offense is super efficient, so fun, engaging, they're defending enough, like they're not a bad defensive team. They rebound the ball well. All of these things that I heard about the twenty twenty team and how UI is dangerous nobody wants to see BYU in March, I'm starting to hear a lot of the same things about this team, which is exciting and so, yes, this team is better prepared to go and win an NCAA tournament game. I don't know if the UI is going to be granted the consideration by the tournament selection committee that they had last year, even though I think they're a better team this year because of the non conference slate, and Kevin knows that they didn't beat anybody in non conference play relatively speaking, they have since caught fire and have added plenty of meat to the resume in the Big twelve. But I don't know. Pardony just believes it that the selection commans can be like, yeah, but By's non conference, Like we need to punish them a little bit for that. So I wouldn't be surprised to see BYU if they win two of the final three. I'm not going to ask the team or expect this team to go to Ames and win against Siawa State, especially if Bio State gets some of their scores back and courage Jones specifically, Like, that's a tough ask. But if you win two of the final three and you beat West Virginia, Sam and I and then handle Youthah on Senior Night, and you go to Kansas City and you win a game there, then I think DYU has absolutely done enough to be given real consideration at worst as a seven seed. And what ten seed or what team in the NCAA tournament wants to face seven seed BYU who recently just won at Arizona and just humiliated Kansas and had won as many as six games in a row and are playing their best basketball this season. I think they could be a very very dangerous seven. You said ceiling, so I'm gonna give you to I think the ceiling for the PA team because of the non conference plane, because of no Sunday play and how the seeding principles work, probably a six seed at best, all.
Speaker 1: Right, But before I say you lose, The Solid Tribune did some reporting this week on the Royal Blue Collective and some changes that were made, and I just want your take on it. You know, crue Wakely obviously left the program with a little bit of an extra grind, right, and I always make sure to keep that in mind. And there was another starter who claimed that there were some cuts and some changes made to the collective, and obviously some players not thrilled about it. The trip did a follow up where they were able to talk to some people from the Royal Blue Collective who are saying that there will be some changes this year, you know, coming off the heels of a very successful season. I just need to know your understanding of this story and kind of where we're at with collective down in Provo.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Again, I mean to be frank with you, like I don't know Crewe on a close enough level to understand everything that he said and why he said it.
Speaker 5: I still like Crew.
Speaker 9: I think he was a good player for buy and he did some nice things. But you're right, he had an ax to grind. So whenever something like that begins, you as well as I know that as a member of the media, you have to take it with the proverbial grain of salt, like, Okay, something happened, he didn't like it, Let me see what I can find out. And so when I went down that route, to kind of figure out what was going on in the Weake we camp. I was largely shut out and said, you know what, we'll kind of keeping it for ourselves. It's what's in the paper is out there, but like we're not going to add any additional comment. So I thought, Okay, well, I'm not going to get anything from cruise people. That's fine. Let me reach out to the Royal Blue Collective. And what I was told was we're processing everything. We're figuring out where there were some discrepancies and some misunderstandings. And I was assured that they are trying to do everything with as much integrity and clarity and transparency as possible while still working with an institution that is private. It's like an impossible balance at BYU. I'm not saying it's perfect, it's not. So clearly there was something that happened and I'm misunderstanding. And I'll say this, everybody needs to get everything in writing and put in contracts and stop giving these handshake agreements. Like handshakes are not going to cut it anymore. Like everything needs to be documented. We've gone from amateurism to like minor league professional sports, with many college athletes get everything in writing, get everything in a contract, but that you can guarantee it, and there's legal ram pitations if you don't uphold your end of the bargain. But I wish I had more for you. I reached out to both sides and was given a very political answer from the Royal Blue Collective and then we'll kind of shut down on the other side. So I wish I had more than that to add. But I'm adamant that that there will be an effort to have things laid out that are legally solid, that are on paper guaranteed contracts, because I believe, truly believe to be why he wants to do it the right way, and they don't ever want to put anybody in a uncomfortab position like they did or was reported allegedly they did from crewe Wakely and then this other you know athlete or these other athletes that are now coming forward.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, always appreciate the time. Please, as I always say, give sheep a wet willie and a purple nurple for me and we'll get you back on soon. Okay, you got a brother.
Speaker 9: Hey, I'm glad you found you all. But if you don't listen if you didn't. All it takes is a simple text message to be on your phone. Bro, I got you. I'll carry you for a little bit.
Speaker 1: No, I appreciate that. I might just send you my Venmo now if I know that's the deal. Thanks buddy, I have a good weekend. Okay? All right? Spencer Lynton from BYU TV, I always appreciate his time. We're live today at Tim Dolly Nissan at forty five twenty eight South State Street. It's their special year end clearance sale and special financing is low a zero percent. They're offering cars for zero money down and no payments for two months. So if you're in the market for a vehicle for you, you're a child, or your spouse, forty five twenty eight South State Street, come on buy and say hi. All right, we are live today Tim Dolly Nissan at forty five twenty eight South State Street. Come on buy and say hi. It is their end of the year close out special. Even though it's the beginning of the year, they're still having it. Special financing is low a zero percent, zero money down, no payments for two months. My next guest back in the day would be sitting next to me on these remotes often Gordon monson, Happy Friday, sir, how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm just fines man, how are you doing? Those were good old times, you know, you look back. I have fond memories.
Speaker 9: I'll say it that way.
Speaker 1: The first memory I have of a remote we did together, I believe, was out in Bountiful or Centerville and we showed up to I think a target and they didn't know we were coming, so we had to set up outside and it was snowing, and you went inside target, and if I remember correctly, bought a sweatshirt that did not fit you very well. Is that right?
Speaker 6: You know the saddest part of that whole story is that it didn't fit me very well, but it fits me now.
Speaker 1: Oh so you still have the sweatshirt.
Speaker 6: I still haven't. I I decided I'll try this, see it is, you know, and it was like, you know, it's like that bride that tries on a weddings twenty years later or whatever. But uh it it's me pretty nice now. But it was too big back then.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it was very cold from what I recall. I'm trying to think of other remote stories. You know, we did all those Papa John's for years, where we'd be like right next to the oven and leave spelling like pizza and freezing cold.
Speaker 6: So not one you bring up, though, I mean, I've never experienced that before where we're loading into the store and essentially the store manager is pushing us back out the door. Oh yeah, we're out on the curb in like minus twenty degree weather. Right, you know we made we powered through though, man, because we could have walked away.
Speaker 8: But no, no, we don't.
Speaker 6: We don't walk away.
Speaker 1: We're men of the people, Gordon, we don't walk away. I mean, come on, you know we're here. We're here to serve. We're here to serve.
Speaker 6: So tell me, well, I wish Smith that we could pull back the curtain on everything that ever happened, either in the studio or out of the We could write a book.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, behind the scenes. Look at the old radio days. I'm not sure how many people anymore would be all that interested, but the old school listeners, Gordon, I don't know how many of them are still around, but the old school listeners would be interested, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Well, all I know is fun, So I'm glad you're still doing it.
Speaker 1: Man for sure. Now I appreciate your time. I always missed having you, you know, you and Craig in Hopefully we can get that going back soon. But there's a lot going on, Gordo, and you've been writing about a lot of it. So let's start with the news that has dominated the headlines up this way, and that's Craig Smith losing his job year four six year contract. And so now you toss some dead money to Craig after paying some dead money to Larry. And there's a lot to this, and you know, ultimately there's a human side of it. Feel bad for Craig and his family. A little five million dollar golden parachute doesn't hurt. But what's your reaction to the news, and then we'll move into what you think comes next.
Speaker 6: Well, one thing that comes to mind on a personal level is some especially basketball coaches, I don't know, it's football coaches too. They're kind of power guys and they some of them just aren't the nicest guys in the world.
Speaker 8: I'll say it that way, but Crank Smith was.
Speaker 6: I mean, he was a nice dude. I mean, you wish the best for him and his family, And on a personal level, on the professional level. You know, things weren't getting slowly better, but I just you know, it just wasn't I guess good enough for the proud history of the University of Utah basketball program. And you know, I mean they were picked, they picked last in the conference and they were seven and nine when he got the acts. The timing of it was a little suspicious to me because I wondered if Mark Harland had it in for him from from the start of the season and he I don't know. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems like they were better than maybe what they were thought to be, and Craig Smith was a big part of that. And then all of a sudden he's given the acts after the loss, and they had won some games and people didn't expect them to win. And who knows what would have happened if he had finished strong with that team, Spence, I don't know what happened if they went down to Provo and beat the Cougars, I mean, and then you're going to fire him after that. That would have been a more difficult situation. But that's all speculation on my part. I have no idea what Mark Carlett was thinking other than the fact that what the youths were doing on the basketball floor and what they were drawing in as far as fans just wasn't good enough for him.
Speaker 1: All right. So, and like you, I'm not entirely sure what all the reasons were. I did hear from two boosters, one of whom you know, that this was in I don't know what percentage, but in some part this was booster driven. And by booster driven, I mean some of the biggest of the big dogs. You know, they just weren't necessarily happy with the direction and Gordon. While I certainly met the news with sympathy for Craig and his family, there was part of me that said, okay, you know what, finally somebody who stood up and said this is not good enough. They have not made the tournament in almost ten years, and for a program once upon a time that made the tournament every year and nearly won a national championship, but just ran out of gasagainst Kentucky. Part of me likes the fact that whatever the reason was, like this standard should not do for a basketball community that's used to greatness.
Speaker 6: Yeah and yeah, I I well said Spence, And you know, some schools you'd say, Okay, this is good enough, kind of getting better each year, but that's that's good enough. We're not going to do anything about it. And that's frustrating for fans to be put in that situation because they want the results yesterday and it was it was too slow. And I know some of the boosters. I figure, I know some of the boosters of which you speak, and I know for a fact that they weren't happy. They think, they think the University of Utah is a better basketball program than was being exhibited on the court and in a day and age where just like Craigstmis, it's a bottom line business man, you got to win, and you got to win at a certain level or else you're gone. And he's gone. But it's hard to feel sorry for arm considering the five million dollar parachute that you mentioned.
Speaker 1: So now we move over to what's next, and it's interesting and consider a few different avenues here. So you know, one of the avenues that athletic directors and school presidents take when you're a P four school and a Big twelve school as you look at the smaller conferences and the smaller schools and you try to figure out which coaches are doing a good job and they've kind of earned their way to figure out what's next as far as the bigger level, and sometimes that doesn't happen until the tournament. You know, a small school gets an automatic qualification, they win a couple of games, and a bigger school poaches their coach. Jeff Borzello put together a list that he thinks Utah should look at. It's UC San Diego's Eric Olson, It's Nico Medved from Colorado State, It's Eric Henderson from South Dakota State, Leon Rice Boise State. They just be Utah State, Russell Turner from UC Irvine. So that's one avenue. And the other avenue that seems to be getting a lot of traction is the former ute pile, which includes Johnny Bryant, Alex Jensen seems to be the front runner from what I can understand, and then Andre Miller's coaching in the G League. So I want your thoughts on what you think Mark should do. And then ultimately, one of the things I've tried to consider is I'm not usually a win the press conference guy. I don't think it matters. The long game of building a culture is what matters and finding your way back to winning. But this basketball community, Gordon needs such a shot of life. The part of me feels like, go all in and get Alex and put Andre next to him on the bench. And I would imagine if that's the announcement, a lot of phone calls would be made to the basketball building to put deposits down for season tickets. But what do you think Mark should do next? As far as the avenue we should look at.
Speaker 6: Well, the first option that you talked about, well, that's how Craig Smith got there, right yep. I mean he was he was winning games, and you saw we needed a Utah state and he was winning before that. He build a program and they bring him into Utah and it didn't really light the fire you're talking about. And so I really liked those last three games you mentioned, and I think that would be the way I would go if I were Mark Carlett. Now Harlan seems to like to sort of put on a national search, but I mean he hired Craig Smith, I.
Speaker 5: Would go for.
Speaker 6: I would go for one of those three. I really would Alex Smith or Jensen. You know you and I know him well, and he's He's a fine man, and he's a really good basketball mind with that NBA experience, And it makes me wonder sometimes that when you look at what happened to BYU and Kevin Young's success going in there and having that NBA experience and that being a big draw for certain athletes who definitely that's their goal. They want to go to the NBA. Right, So why wouldn't you talk to a guy like Alex Sinton. Why wouldn't you talk to a guy like Johnny Bryant or Andre Miller. I mean, those are exciting names, and I think that's the way I would go.
Speaker 1: So I want to get your take on the pressure that Mark Harlan finds himself in with his hire and you know, to juxtapose it a little bit, when Tom Homo announced that he was stepping down after twenty years down in Provo, one of the main things that Tom can hang his hat on is the hires he made for his basketball and his football program, Bronco, Dave rose Colte, in addition to Mark Pope and Kevin Jung. I mean, there's an argument to be made that Tom went five for five for five. Now, I know there are other sports I'm not diminishing them and the importance of them and the other hires, but Mark in his tenure has made one higher on the football on the basketball side, and it was Craig and obviously didn't work. The succession plan for more than a takeover I believe was in place before Mark got here. And you know, it hasn't been the greatest year for Mark Carlin, who I like and respect and he's been nice to me. But that postgame die tribe after the BYU Utah football game didn't land very well. He was reprimanded, he was fined, and I wonder how you would articulate this feels like a very big decision for the athletic director of Utah. What are your thoughts scoredon?
Speaker 6: I couldn't agree more with everything that's going on in college words right now and with the changes that are afoot and the importance are still these RULs are angling for that what twenty thirty thirty one time when the TV deals are up and people are positioning themselves for the most advantageous situation they can find. So, yeah, this is big. I don't know what's going to happen when Kyle Whittingham retires, Is Morgan Scaley going to pick up the football and just take it from there? You and I know Morgan, he's a smart guy. You think he would be able to do that again with a football program that has a proud history, so you'd think he'd be able to do it. In basketball, the utes have been struggling, like you said, for quite some time. It's a basketball school. It used to be a basketball school, right, and so I think he does need to nail that. He'd never get this one right. He embarrassed the university during football season, and I think from the reaction that I've gotten from fans know when they found out that Craig Smith was being fired, a lot of them thought that Craig Smith was doing okay, not great, but pretty good, and there was a lot of vitriol I thought toward Mark Harlan, which is interesting that the athletic director would get that kind of heat. So yeah, I would say get this one right, especially at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Since excuse me, since I have not been able to catch up in the past couple of weeks, I wonder what your thoughts are on the announcement that after twenty years, Tom Homo is exiting stage left as byus AD and your thoughts on potentially what's next down there. You know, Shane Reese, the president of the university, was present at the press conference they held and he outlined his criteria for whether BYU athletic director needs to meet. Plenty of good candidates out there. So your thoughts on the twenty years with Tom in charge down there and where do you think BYU goes next.
Speaker 6: Tom just did a fantastic job and he's a good guy. I know some people in the media got a little angry because the access to him was a little difficult for some folks. I had a cell phone on my phone.
Speaker 7: I felt like I.
Speaker 6: Could call him whenever, but that wasn't the way it was. In every direction, I liked him. I liked the job he did. You mentioned the success that they made the transition into the Big twelve. The optimism in Provo right now is, if not off the charts, it's really high and Tom deserves credit for that. He made that happen. I remember sitting in a Peacha joint in Prova with Tom and we were talking about what his vision was for BYE Sports, and it's pretty much exactly where they are right now. I mean, nobody's perfect, and it can get better, I suppose, But I think he pretty much did exactly what he set out to do, which is we're lofty goals, and he got him there. As far as what they're going to do move it forward, this is kind of an interesting thing you mentioned Shane Ree. I believe he worked for a time advising the Philadelphia Eagles, didn't. I mean, he's got a sports background, and sports we've seen that boosters down there are willing to shell out big money and the university is allowing that to happen now, and so BYU I have heard BYU mentioned more in the last month or two on a national level then I think I had maybe since nineteen eighty four, And so I mean, I think they're they're making this a priority, and they could go in house, you know, they'd go to Santiago or it'd be interesting though if they went outside and got somebody who was from a different realm. Whether they'll do that or not, I don't know. I do know that Santiago had been given more and more responsibility by Tom over the past couple of years, and so you know, if I were a betman that's the way I would lean. But there's big money. I talked to a big booster them there recently and he said, they're swimming in money. They're swimming in money. And when you have that advantage, who knows who you might draw in?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean look, and that allows us to transition over to some good reporting by Kevin Reynolds over at your spot of the Trib. And you know, Gordon, I talked to you about this when I started to hear the details of Kevin Young's contract and I started to hear the details of his staff, and then the rumors are the Yegor Demon and Cannon Catchings are both seven figure players. And then on first take aj Debounts and his father dropped that they're going to BYU and then the information comes out that it's like seven million bucks for five months of basketball. My first reaction was, well, what are you doing for Kwane? What are you doing for the football program? And and look, this is this is interesting because according to the good reporting of Kevin and everyone over the Trib, there was a meeting last year right to the start of the season that was held by someone named men Kim. I don't know who he is, but he is one of the guys in charge of the Royal Blue Collective, and it's Isaiah Bagna as well as Crue, Wakely and Crewe left in his wake. No pun intended a lot as he left. You see what I did there. He obviously was not happy with any of this. But none of this information looks good for the collective and none of it looks good for the football program. The Trip Today actually released a follow up where the Royal Blue Collective is going to make some changes for the better when it comes to the football program. My first reaction when I read this, Gordon is man, Colonie did a great job with a roster full of players that weren't getting paid as much as their competitors. But ultimately this lands in the space of the college football landscape, providing no guardrails and therefore everybody's flying blind. Man, I'm not here to cast stones at all, but I wonder what your reaction was to these stories.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, would you say what you said about Kilanie? He were wondering if they were going to get taken care of Klanie was under in the state, you know, I mean the success he's had, he deserves more money and if there is more money there to be given out, and yeah, he's earned that. As far as the collective goes, I think they are correcting that because, like I said, I talked, that's why he was talking to this booster and he said, there's money available down here.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: So if there's money available, then share it with your football team. And you got to get that job done in this day and age now with revenue sharing, who knows how what shape that's going to take and will that limit will there be like a limitation on how much he's given out or will it be shared and then you can pile on top of that. I don't know how that's going to go. But it comes down to money. I mean, it really does. That is the college game. And there's a lot of people who don't like that. It bothers them the old school loving the amateurism. But that's just gone. That genie's out of the bottle now and it'll never go back. And so yeah, you've got to have the money to make it happen. I mean, it's funny you mentioned the Bonsa BYU. I mean that's shocked. That literally shocked some people, even though BYU was on their list. But think about how that happened. Think about h You know, there were all kinds of things that came in to play there. He was down at Utah Prep, he happened to be his favorite player, happened to play for the Phoenix Suns, and Kevin Young happened to be a coach who that particular player Kadie loved. And then on top of that, Danny Ainge, who's a b yu Wi love he debonsa grew up a huge Celtics fan, and he's connect me with Day of the Ames. And this thing is all coming together to BYU's advantage. But look at some of the other players that are considering going to BYU now and already have committed to them, players that BYU in the past never would have gotten. And so there's some money there. It just depends on how it's going to be distributed.
Speaker 1: It's a new day, man. I'll tell you what, Gordon, I appreciate the time, buddy, have a great weekend and let's get you let's get you back on.
Speaker 6: Soon, you too, Okay, svet'z have a good one.
Speaker 1: Thanks Gordon Monson, My old radio partner, longtime columnists from the Salt Lake Tribune. I always appreciate his time. All right, before we wrap up the four o'clock hour of the show. Launching into the five o'clock hour of the program, we are live today at Tim Dolly Nissan forty five, twenty eight South State Street. You guys don't want to hear the deals from me, You want to hear it from Rich sales manager here. What's up, Rich? How are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Ten years in the business, but he's here at this store. And what a great time to buy a car.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell us this is like your year end clearance event that you've extended through the new year. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: That's fair to say. And you know in Japan the year ends in March, so we want to get as much much as we can done right now. And with it being Valentine's month, you know, we've got interest rates as low as zero percent. Most of our clients like no money down. All of our clients love the fact that they don't have to make a payment for two months while they're catching up from the Christmas situation. And you know, end of the month, end of the month, this is the last day of the month is always, no matter what you hurt from anybody else, We're under the gun to get as many cars in tonight as we can. So if folks, if you're listening and you want to get a car, come down here.
Speaker 1: Tonight, open until eight o'clock tonight. Well we close a ten okay, great so special financing as a reference, zero percent, no money down, no payments, two months. Do you guys do the lifetime warranty over here as well? Yeah, we do forever warranty.
Speaker 3: Ever warranty, As crazy as that sounds, as long as you own that car, you've got a warranty on that transmission that costs five thousand dollars to replace, on that engine that might cost ten thousand dollars Serie place. And the turbos on these cars. We have a lot of cars with turbos on them, and it's our used cars as well as our new ones. If you buy it and you own it, and you own it forever, you've got a warranty on it forever. It costs nothing.
Speaker 1: It sounds honestly rich, too good to be true. We were here last month across the street and Coup the GM said, it's this is not a money maker for us, Like he said, they were having a meeting, should we still do this because we're losing money and you guys elected to continue, Like it sounds too good to be true, but it's actually a real thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been doing it for five years. Yeah, we were the first ones to do this in this marketplace. When we did it, we expected every dealership in the state.
Speaker 1: To join in and none of them. None of them have no.
Speaker 3: But we've grown our customer base with it, and that's what we're all about. We've been here for fifty five years. You can't get a better place to buy a car at. Tim Dally is a fantastic individual and it flows right down through his organization. And this is the original store right here on State Street forty five to twenty eight South State.
Speaker 1: This is the original store.
Speaker 3: It's best place out of all of Tim's places to get a car.
Speaker 1: Got to love it. Hit me with some specific deals, like which cars do you want to highlight before I set you loose right, Well, I'll tell you why.
Speaker 3: We want to highlight the new Kicks, which is a brand new model all Will Drive. We never had that before. And if you're looking for an all Will drive that's affordable. This is your bad boy right here under thirty K all the goodies on it and the latest styling, especially for our younger crowd. But we also have the Rogue, the Pathfinder, the Morano, the Armadas are brand new. We sell more of those than anything else. But we still have our vintage, the Verse of the Center of the Ultimate n They've been around forever and are all all will drive now. The Frontier truck, we've been moving those like it's nobody's business because it's the last of the six cylinder trucks. You go buy my competition. They're all four cylinder turbos now. Then of course we have the GTR and I actually have one for you guys out there that are listening. You want a GTR. This is the last year for them.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's.
Speaker 3: It right there won't be anymore at least for a few years, and so you're going to get one right now. That's part of that whole group of GTRs that came out, and we're improved over the years. We have one. It'll probably be the last one we get, so comeing to see it. I got three z's here, and not to mention the electrics. Okay, I got the Aria, I got the leaf. We made the leaf back in twenty twelve. We're one of the original manufacturers to make an electric vehicle. We know them better than anybody else. And God bless if you want to used one and you want to Tesla, you want this, you want that, you want the keys, you want the Hyundais. I have probably an inventory forty to fifty evs here that qualify for the forever warranty.
Speaker 1: I got to say before I say loose my northeast boy. Radar is going up. Where are you from, Oh, Buffalo, New York. There you go. I know it. Yeah, I'm like, this is a salt lake. I could hear it. I I just couldn't land on it. Rich, great to me, each man, Thanks for having us out.
Speaker 8: Pleasure.
Speaker 1: All right, come on out. Rich just outlined the deal. It's forty five to twenty eight South stage treet bunch of vehicles priced to move. Final segment of the day, Final segment of the week. Happy Friday, Congratulations, it's weekend time special. Thank you to Tim Dolly Nissan for hosting us today at forty five twenty eight South State Street. Great spot to you at a vehicle. They're opened and tell eight but Rich, their sales manner manager Buffalo Strong Rich said they might not close until ten because they're moving a bunch of vehicles. They've got to clear out the deck to make space for their new inventory. And they're offering zero percent financing, zero money down, and no payments for two months. It's real, and their lifetime warranty is all excuse me, yeah, therefore, ever warranty is what they call. It is a real thing. When I first heard about it, I'm like, that's a sales tactic. That's not true. But it is. If you buy a new or used car from Tim Dolly, you have a warranty on that vehicle forever for the life of it, doesn't matter how many miles you drive. So definitely come out, coming out and check it out, all right. Some sad news. Gene Hackman has passed away, and according to reports, he had passed for quite some time before they found him. Why is that sports related? Well, I still believe Hoosiers is an incredibly entertaining basketball movie, and of course Gene Hackman played the great coach Norman Dale. Four passes before you take a shot port or four passes, So rest in peace to the great Gene Hackman on this Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually forgot that was him in that movie. I was, I know Gene Hackman, but what what movies from It's that that's like the main one that came out. But earlier today I was kind of racking my brain trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Why do you strike me as the type of player that ignored the four pass rule before he took a shot? Yeah, you were a black hole. I knew it. You were not a good teammate. Were you nice to your teammates?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 2: I led the league and assists in the two.
Speaker 1: You're a mellow You're a mellow fan. I don't believe that for a second. You were a black hole. You were a chucker. As Kramer, I.
Speaker 2: Weirdly kind of went through some phases because I really did lead the Dimpledell rec League and assist one year. But I did kind of turn into a kind of a microwave shoot it when I got it, get to the rim, do that stuff. Yeah, no four passes for me. I'm trying to make something happen pretty quick. There's a shot clock spence.
Speaker 1: Okay, now that's fine. I just believe in playing ball the right way, but I'm old school, all right. Reminder Tomorrow, busy day on the station eight o'clock Utah Golf Radio one fifteen Utah Women's basketball versus b y U, four thirty Utah Men's basketball against ASU. Then on Sunday we've got the Celtics Nuggets game, which could be an NBA founalist preview at ten thirty am here on ESPN seven hundred. Jazz in Action. Tonight, busy weekend of local and national sports porter. What comes our way on a Monday edition of the radio.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the weekend, have a good one, and join us back on a Monday. Tom haberstrow for the NBA Daily Assist, as he does each and every Monday. We'll catch up with our guy Brian Done, Seth Dunny on a Monday reacting to RSL obviously, the Conker Calf elimination and more. Bill Riley will stop by to talk some utes over the weekend, and then we'll recap the NFL combine with one Sam Monson. And as you requested, I'm out to both Lebron James and Jordan Schultz.
Speaker 1: Great great, so hopefully we'll get both Lebron James, and Jordan Schultz next week. I was caught off guard when Howard was like, well, you need to ask Lebron. I'm like, dude, I don't really have the lifeline to Lebron right now, but thank you Howard.
Speaker 2: If we got Dave mcmanhamon, yeah, we got one text away from Lebron James.
Speaker 1: Really, that's that's a good point. So we're out to Dave Chappelle, Ricky Gervais, Louis c K, Lebron James. I guess I'll put Jordan Schultz in that category. That feels weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jordan's been on the show before.
Speaker 1: He's texting me back.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well we'll see if we can get him on.
Speaker 1: All right, So we'll see if we can get big name guests next week. Try to do a better job with that. Will say good night, special thank you Today, Mecca and Nellie, Howard Beck, Paul Pugbyer, Spencer Lynn and Gordon monson jam Pack Show for any of the sound you may have missed. ESPN seven hundred Sports dot Com download the app. ESPN seven hundred one hundred app is available for free in the App Store in the Google Play Store, and then for what we do in our space. Podcast page is called The Drive with spence Check its It's available wherever you get your show. Subscriber in reviews, say nice things, give us all the stars. It helps for Porter and Cynthia. You can see it at the RSL game tomorrow. R sale taken on Seattle. My name is Spence Check and Saga Night, Happy Swiping. We'll talk to you on Monday right here on ESPN seven hundred