Speaker 1: When it comes to a great deal, Virgin Mobile doesn't play around, introducing a new simplan price locked at fifteen euro month for life with unlimited data, calls and texts and ninety nine percent coverage. Switch today at Virgin Media dot Ie Virgin Media, It's playtime.
Speaker 2: Tecenz supply fifteen europer month locked in while a Virgin Mobile customer twelve month contract including nlimited data, standard calls and text to all ours networks. Offer ends February eighteenth, twenty twenty six. See Virgin Media dote.
Speaker 3: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing cloub card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get a finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do Ya or Margarito wood fired pizzas, served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online Tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, prices varying express.
Speaker 4: Oh hey, it's your Internet dad, who just learned how to mute her mic on zoom alleyboard. Oh get ready for penguins. Oh I love this one. The full version is linked in the show notes in case you have more time and you're in an environment where you can listen to swear words. But this is smologies and ssmologies are shorter episodes, and they're also edited to be safe for all ages. So enjoy this g rated version of a classic episode. Let's get to some penguins. Let's get him in your ears, in your brains, in your hearts. Penguinology, it's a real thing, and this ologist identified on the BBC as a penguinologist. Oh and who better to call it that than one of the world's foremost penguin experts. He's legit. Penguinology is thus legit. So he is a research fellow at Oxford University's Zoological Department. He spent well over a decade working and studying and very gently spying on penguins and heads up penguin watch dot org, where you yourself can go and see wonderful penguins in remote regions on planet Earth. You can join eleven thousand volunteers who help scientists, including him count penguins just by looking at pictures of penguins and just putting.
Speaker 5: A dot on the penguins. It's so good and quick.
Speaker 4: Audio note if you hear any clickety clacking, that is just the keyboard in my shared home office with Jarrett. So just consider it like an ASMR treat. Okay, great, Okay. So we talked about what it's like working on the ends of the Earth and how cold it is, and what exactly is a penguin and how do they stay warm and mating habits and weird knees and neck facts and diets and swimming and waddling and pooh and you so sping on a tux and slung down the ice to join us for one of the most anticipated episodes of Ologies maybe ever, with penguinologist doctor Tom hartog.
Speaker 6: Algy algylogies word business.
Speaker 4: Right, you're Tom Hart. You're a penguinologist. Yes, this is so thrilling. I'm not sure if you understand how thrilling this is. You are perhaps like the best person to ask about penguins, but also you're the best person to have an ologies because you are a self titled penguinologist. Absolutely, yeah, how many times have you been to Antarctica for your work?
Speaker 7: I have any clue?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so that many?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I genuinely don't know, but it's I think it's It's something like thirteen seasons worth over about fifteen years, so I've missed a couple of seasons since I started.
Speaker 4: A few of the places he commutes to for work are the Sandwich Islands and South Georgia, which are little, little dispects, no bigger than one hundred miles long way off the coast of Argentina, just above the continent of Antarctica. Now Antarctica the continent? Who even owns it? I asked Google for us. Well, it was air quotes discovered only about one hundred years ago. Doesn't really belong to anyone. It's likened to a condominium politically, with different countries having jurisdiction and putting research stations there. And there was a nineteen fifty nine Anarctic Treaty it essentially said, hey, nobody ELNs us. Okay, now parts of Antarctica, how cold can they get? Negative eighty nine degrees celsius. That's negative one hundred and twenty eight fahrenheit And it's a polar desert. It's blustery, it's cold, it's white, it's icy, it's pristine, it's gorgeous. Now, in terms of critters, you got your orcas, you got some seals, some albatross, you got some shrimpy little krill munchies in the water, and of course penguins. And now when you're talking talking about these colonies, how many penguins are we talking and what species? Tell me about these penguins as someone who's never seen a penguin outside of a.
Speaker 7: Zoom, it entirely depends on the species and where you are. So in Antarctica, on the kind of mainland continent of Antarctica, the colonies are actually often quite a lot smaller. So gent two penguins are dailies. They're often in colonies of about three five thousand, with a few exceptions. So when you get into the Ross Sea, they can be a lot bigger. They might be several hundred thousand. Emperor penguins on sea ice there are very varied, but yeah, it could be anything from a couple of thousand to again one hundred thousand, So a.
Speaker 4: Colony could be as populous as the city of Boulder, Colorado, or even Vacaville or West Covina Hi West Covina.
Speaker 7: The largest colonies on Earth are in the South Sandwich Islands, and those are well, they were we haven't finished counting them recently, but they were one point three million pairs. The movement around the colony is phenomenal. I mean it really it is a bit like a city in their respect that you've got loads of nests that are kind of really regularly spaced, So the behaviors you see are largely the kind of stoic ones, the ability to stay in one place and stay warm for a long time, and then these massive highways of movement and partner exchanges, so you see a lot of what you see minute to minute is penguins huddled over on a nest and then occasionally one relieving it and the next one going to see.
Speaker 4: And now basic questions about penguins, what exactly makes a bird of penguin?
Speaker 7: Well, common ancestry. I mean they're monophyletic, which means they evolved once and then everything else is diversified within them.
Speaker 4: Oh so it's thought that penguins diverged from the ancestors of albatrosses and petrels, seventy one million years ago. What is a petrol you're asking, it's a good question. No, it's a tube nosed, short winged seabird. And if you squint at a picture of a petrol, you can kind of see the resemblance to a penguin. It's kind of like looking at two brothers with wildly different haircuts and one of them can fly. But penguins, penguins, you are great swimmers. This is not a contest.
Speaker 7: What makes them a penguin In terms of if you're going to describe emits quite a large seabird. Seabirds tend to be larger on average than other birds. They don't have hollow bones, so they by giving up the ability to fly, they've become a lot better adapted at diving and swimming. That's also allowed their feathers to change, So those are more about hydrodynamics and insulation obviously. Yeah, there's a lot of cold adaptations, both anatomically and behaviorally as well. But one of the big things that people forget is just starvation tolerant. I mean, you think of the Emperor penguins, the male that are incubating an egg and then a chick for about three four months. That's a lot of it. So any other species they molt all at the same time. So flying birds they melt several feathers at a time so that they can still fly.
Speaker 4: So in case you miss this, we covered it in plumology. But flying birds will lose a flight feather from one side and then the other. That way they can keep balance, and some species, like parrots and pelicans, it can take them up to two years to replace all those ding dang feathers. But our penguins, penguins are your friends who cannonball into a pool instead of dipping a toe in. They are right or die all at once.
Speaker 5: Let's do this.
Speaker 7: Penguins all have this catastrophic molt where they then go to sea for a week or so, feed up as much as they can, and then they stand in one place looking grumpy, losing all of their feathers before the winter.
Speaker 4: Oh and what are some behaviors in penguins that are so different? Like, what are some of the behaviors that are so endearing about penguins or.
Speaker 5: People?
Speaker 7: I mean, do we have to call it endearing? I think we don't? They deserve our respect? Okay me? I mean one a lot of people think of is huddling in empress but that really is almost only in emperors for the breeding king penguins that look very similar but are in the sub Antarctic in places like South Georgia, they also huddle over winter, but only the chicks, so the chicks get left behind, and you see these massive aggregations of chicks huddling to keep warm. So mostly it's a thing that's found in chicks rather than rather than the adults, and it's a mixture of trying to avoid big predators pecking at you as well as to stay warm.
Speaker 4: Come on, a bunch of fuzzy ground birds in tuxedos having an icy cuddle party. Let me have this also a quick who's who of penguins?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for this?
Speaker 4: There are seventeen to twenty different species, and my understanding is that there are more than twenty penguinologists who disagree about subspecies.
Speaker 5: But either way.
Speaker 4: On the shores of Antarctica we have emperor penguins. These are the big guys three to four feet tall. They have this sheen of golden yellow on their face and chest. And then there are smaller daily penguins which have very simple curved lines that black and white. The daily penguins look like mid century modern of penguin design, very simple, so elegant. King penguins look like smaller Emperor penguins, and they're in the northern reaches of Antarctica and the Falkland Islands. And chin strap penguins they look like they're sporting a little black bike helmet. They live on the islands in the Scotia Sea. Gentoos are on the Antarctic Peninsula and the nearby islands, and they're the ones with the orange feet and the matching orange bill. Gentoos are like those ladies with nice shoes and handbags that go together. Crested penguins those are the ones with the bananas yellowish spiky things near their eyes. They have a very speak to the manager haircut. And they include rock hoppers and Macaroni penguins, named not for the pasta but for the flamboyant men's fashion style of macaronism of the seventeen hundreds, so fabulous. Now there are banded penguins which have kind of a racing stripe around their bellies. Those are in South America and South Africa. They include the jackass there are yellow eyed penguins in New Zealand and the sub Antarctic Islands. And finally, finally, little penguins. Those are on the Southern Australia Coast and New Zealand, and they have a bluish tint to their feathers and they're teeny just over a foot tall, maybe three apples high, and blue motion to call them smurf penguins whirled all right. Also, thirty seven million years ago there was a colossus penguin which stood, oh my god, six feet eight inches tall, the same height as Lebron James. So if you take nothing else from ologies as a podcast, just know that at one point on planet Earth.
Speaker 5: There were groups that look like entire.
Speaker 4: NBA basketball leagues consisting only of ginormous penguins.
Speaker 7: The movement around the colony is phenomenal. I mean it really is. It is a bit like a city in their respect that you've got loads of nests that are kind of really regularly spaced, and so there's just penguins looking quite stoic, staying in one place, and then these massive highways of movement and partner exchanges, so they can't leave the egg. So you see a lot of what you see minute to minute is penguins huddled over on a nest and then occasionally one relieving it and the next one going to see. So the behaviors you see are largely the ability to stay in one place and stay warm for a long time. And then it's really really visibly about the dedication to an egg and then a chick and how.
Speaker 5: Do they find their nests? Again, do you guys know.
Speaker 7: If it's known? I don't know it, but it's like in a crowd, do you go to where you last saw them? Then you might call?
Speaker 5: Do they have certain calls for each other?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? So they have, particularly between chicks and adults, and then between the adults. Between the partners, it's probably more tone. So I'm sure they can recognize them by voice, but a lot of it, we think is tone. So it's like you come home say to a partner, how are you dear? Or someone says how was your day? And you say, oh fine, and they say, right, what's wrong?
Speaker 4: Can I ask you questions? From listeners? But before your questions? Each week we donate two cause of the ologists choosing, and this week we did too. He had and I was like, let's do it man. So one is Terrestrial Restoration Action Society SECHELLES, which plants mangroves and helps with deforestation along coastal regions, which also helps to offset carbon footprints associated with global travel so jet centers. That's a good one, an excellent choice. Another donation is going to Penguin Watch, which helps fund doctor Hert's work alongside his collaborators around the world who research the threats to penguins and how to mitigate these threats using long term monitoring in the field and using genetic analysis of penguin feathers to get a complete picture of how populations are changing. So donations went to both organizations. That was made possible by sponsors of the show, which you may hear about now.
Speaker 1: When it comes to a great deal, Virgin Mobile doesn't play around introducing a new symplan price locked at fifteen euro month for life with unlimited data, calls, antechs and ninety nine percent coverage. Switch today at Virgin Media dot Ie Virgin Media it's playtime.
Speaker 2: Tcenc supply fifteen you're per month locked in while a Virgin Mobile customer twelve month contract include unlimited data, standard calls and texts all Irish Networks offer ends Februar eighteenth, twenty twenty six. See Virgin Media dot I e get value.
Speaker 3: You can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two starring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen euro Like succulent Board be approved virus Angustriploin steaks with pepper corn butter or delicious Irish chicken Parmeshama served with creamy potato gratam and her mix of rainbow root vegetables and enjoyed Goozillionaire or Soldier caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online. Tesco. Every Little Helps available at most stores, prices very in express.
Speaker 8: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from Board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five euro welcome bonus switch today at Board Gosh Energy i e. Board Gosh Energy. Know Your Power.
Speaker 2: Estimating Annual abilit twenty six and twenty nine your new customers only thirty percent is kind of smart. All day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gas podcasta energy dot e for Full SEASNCS.
Speaker 4: Links to those sponsors and the charities are in the show notes. But now your questions. Elena Clemenkin Charles first time question asker wants to know what does a penguin feel like? What is their texture? But also if you squeeze them just a little bit, would they be squishy or really solid?
Speaker 7: They would be really solid and they would hurt you back. Okay, they're feathery, they'd feel like a strong, muscled like duck, or they wouldn't feel soft and squashly like a dog or a cap.
Speaker 4: And also their bones are not hollow, So are they denser than your typical bird?
Speaker 7: They're definitely. Yeah, They're definitely heavier than any equivalent size. And also they use their flippers as weapons, both on each other and on passing researchers, So yeah, they will. They will flip a whacky if you get too close.
Speaker 5: Have you ever been slaped by a penguin?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Does it hurt?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 5: Are they are there flippers also feathered?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: Yes, they're very small feathers. So those yeah, those are wings they are flying underwater. But the feathers on a flipper are very small. It's almost like a shark skin where they're trying to shed small vortices, so they don't get a lot of drack.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, okay. I looked up photos of penguin feathers and yes, on the flippers they're very little and they overlap kind of like roof tiles. And then on the body there is some serious fluff under the shiny surface, so that's good to keep out the chill. Maybe serves as padding for body to boggeting. Perhaps, Sabina KIARTI wants to know do penguins really slide on the ice as you see in Super Mario.
Speaker 7: I don't know what happens in Super Mario. I'm really sorry, but they do slide on the ice.
Speaker 5: They do? Are they having fun?
Speaker 7: Well, it's usually if they just need to get away fast, or if it's really downhill. I mean, they seem to prefer to walk unless it's really hard going because the snow is actually quite coarse and it rubs all the oil off their feathers. So when you know That means they've got a pream later and reoil them.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was like, where are they getting this oil? They probably barf it up from a krill pouch in their beautiful weird necks. So I looked it up for us, and thankfully, it's just from a grease bigot near their butt. No, biggie, it's at the base of their tail. It looks like a little fleshy knobber jobber. It's called a europigeal gland, but you know what, if you're close pals, please call it a prene gland. Michelle Lee wants to know. Can penguins drink seawater? Is that how they stay hydrated?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Yeah, they eat snow and drink seawater, and they have a gland and just beneath their eyeball at the back of the bill, a lot like our kidneys, but actually functional for drinking seawater, so they can shed saline quite well without it dehydrating them. But they would given a choice, they'd rather drink fresh or snow because you're not having to expend energy.
Speaker 5: Of getting rid of the start.
Speaker 4: A lot of people had questions about flight and wings and flippers. They were Stephanie Bird, He's in a valerie, MICHAELA. Goings, Vanessa Fray, Courtney, Ryan Corey Navis and Ashland, who wrote do penguins have flippers?
Speaker 5: Are they technically wings?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Boy, I'm so excited for this.
Speaker 4: Troy Clarkston as well as others want to know. Have penguins always been flightless birds? Or were they at one point able to fly and then they just got better and better at swimming?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Flight listeners has evolved in seabirds several times, in cormorants in the ooks, and also in penguins. So I think the nearest modern relative is something like a pelican, and the ancestral penguin was quite big and gradually, yeah, you got better at probably diving and then gave up flight. And so for a penguin to evolve, you probably have to have no predators on land, and you probably have to be quite close to your food source so that you you get better at diving, and you you know, it matters less and less that you have to either be able to fly to escape predators or that you have to be good at flying to get there, and then you probably just get better and better at diving.
Speaker 4: A lot of people, Sarah Michelle, Josh Duncan, Megan Johnson, Elena Clements and Charles Madeline, Uncle, Tailey Kawakami, Dane p All want to know what's happening with pebbles. What makes one pebble better than another? How do penguins decide on the best pebbles to give their meats?
Speaker 7: Lots is the simple answer. I mean, they tend to be of a say size, Partly I think that's what's available, but they're definitely choosing. I mean, it can't be like a stack of grain. It can't just fall down insulation. Basically, it's to keep the eggs and the chicks out of meltwater when it starts getting a bit sloppy. So they're like a raised stone doughnut, and the higher the better. I think it's not just giving them their mate, because they both do it. They both maintain the nest, but the male is usually building well. The male is building it, and then the female is usually helping. There's a lot of maintenance in between foraging trips.
Speaker 4: Ah, So they're functional. They're not just like I thought you man like this.
Speaker 7: It's a bit of both. It's good real estate. It's showing that you can provide, so that's more in the choice, and then it's maintaining something. Then it's maintaining a nest.
Speaker 4: Some people had questions about next knees. Tia Mcinness wants to know why does a penguin's neck account for so much of its body? And Madison Nobraga and Hadley literally just wrote, penguin knees, what's happening?
Speaker 7: Well, penguins do have knees, they're just tucked inside their body, so they look like a swan sat up right basically.
Speaker 4: Okay, So if you can picture a penguin like, no neck, tiny stubby legs, right, ha, that's what you think.
Speaker 5: That's what we all think.
Speaker 4: They're tucked up and almost like up near their rib cage. And then their seemingly bodybuilder lack of a neck is actually long.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 4: Their neck goes all the way down to where their flippers start.
Speaker 5: Pretty much.
Speaker 4: Do they look like a fluffy potato? Yes, but what's under there is none of our business.
Speaker 7: The next I'm not sure when the next are so long because it really is tucked inside the body. Most of the time it's used in courtship, but in the water, I mean it's tucked right in and they look a lot more like a torpedo, but they still have a lot of dexterity in their feet, in their legs, both walking and also in the water as rudders.
Speaker 4: Oh as rudders, so that's kind of how they maneuver so fast.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's deep.
Speaker 5: Can they dive?
Speaker 7: The record is an Emperor penguin that's about just over five hundred meters. The smallest ones little penguins in Australia might be twenty to thirty meters. Most of them in Antarctica are diving where the prey is, so that's kind of often anywhere between forty and sixty meters. Emperor's half a k that's pretty bonkous.
Speaker 4: Kylie Wilkinson wants to know are they black with white feathers or white with black feathers.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure. I think developmentally they are white with black feathers, but it's amazing how many species are both black and white. So that's one of the coolest things about penguins is that, I mean, in general, everyone thinks of them as upright and they're not. That is where they come ashore to breed and if they can reading water. They would when they're in water, that's their natural element, and like cormorants, like so many seabirds, and also a lot of killer whales and things like that. This counter shading is camouflage. So if you look at them in the water from above, they're dark against a dark background, and if you look at them from underneath, they're light against the light background.
Speaker 5: Oh oh my god, I.
Speaker 7: Just see black and white animals everywhere, because that seems to be just a natural way to camouflage yourself in the ocean.
Speaker 4: I never even thought about that orcs and penguins were in the same fabulous outfit. The most common question I got by far, and it is why are they so cute?
Speaker 7: Genuinely no comment?
Speaker 5: Do you find them cute? I know you work with them, but do you know I don't find the.
Speaker 7: Respect to find them absolutely Okay, No, they're not cute. They're wonderful.
Speaker 5: Okay, I love that distinction.
Speaker 4: The last questions I always ask, what's your favorite thing about penguins or your work the year to year?
Speaker 7: Is the ability to make a difference. Then the kind of minutes to a minute the highs are I mean, we get in some cases we've been to places that no one's ever been, and a lot of them are just people where very few people have been or seen what we do. There's quite a few nutty moments where you pinch yourself and genuinely cannot believe you get to do this.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for doing this. You're the world's most famous penguinologist, so ask smart penguins questions because they deserve our respect. They're not cute, even though they are very adorable. So to watch more penguins and follow doctor Tom Hart's work, you can check out Twitter dot com slash Penguin Underscore Watch. They're also Penguin Underscore Watch on Instagram. Penguin Watch dot org will take you to the best video game ever. You can help scientists count business geese. They're using community science to get their accounts right. And it was like animal crossing, but real animals. So there you go. You just get to look at pictures of penguins and clickity clickity click and help them count. It's the best. A link to that will be in the show notes. Also linked is more episodes. Also linked is aliwar dot com slash Asmologies, which has dozens more kids safe and shorter episodes you can blaze through and thank you Mercedes Maitland of Maitland Audio and Shared Sleeper of Mindgem Media for editing those as well as Zeke Rodriguez Thomas and says, we like to keep things small around here. The rest of the credits are in the show notes, and if you stick around until the end of the episode, I give you a piece of advice. And this week, something that saves me a lot is I always put things in the same pockets in my backpack. Earbuds they go in the front pocket, pencils, middle pocket. I carry around a bamboo spoon and fork in case I ever need it also middle pocket. That way, when you're digging around in your backpack, you say, I know exactly where that thing is because I always put it in the same pocket.
Speaker 5: That thing has saved me.
Speaker 4: So much digging, all right.
Speaker 5: I hope that helps provide much age.
Speaker 1: When it comes to a great deal, Virgin Mobile doesn't play around introducing our new symplan price locked at fifteen euro month for life with unlimited data, calls and text and ninety nine percent coverage. Switch today at Virgin Media dot Ie Virgin Media.
Speaker 2: It's playtime TNZ supply fifteen euro per month locked in while a Virgin Mobile customer twelve contract including limited data, standard calls and texts. All Ours Networks offer ends February eighteenth, twenty twenty six. See Virgin Media dot e get value.
Speaker 3: You can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing cloub card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro. Like our delicious spicy salami, hot honey and do Ya or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy, chunky chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online Tesco. Every Little helps available in most stories, Prices varying express