Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Impla Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. As always, I am your host, Jamie Evans, joined by Rory Jocelyn. Hello everyone, and making a welcome return to the show for the first time since his appearance in season one. It's mister Dave Gardner. Hello, Welcome back to the show. Dave.
Speaker 2: Good to be back. Thank you for having me. Guys.
Speaker 1: Today, we're turning back time quite a distance. This is like what now, like seventy years ago, nineteen fifty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yees, seventy three, seventy three.
Speaker 1: Years Christ to the Endless March of Time. Yeah, that's right. We're going back to nineteen fifty one for our first time reviewing an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Can't believe we've waited this long to do it because I love Alfred Hitchcock. But yeah, it's time for a second take for Strangers on a Train. So Strangers on a Train, as I said, it was a nineteen fifty one movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It stars Farley Granger, Ruth Roman and Robert Walker and was made for a budget of one point six million dollars and earned seven million dollars at the box office. In twenty twenty one, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being culturally, historically, or esthetically significant. Upon release, Strangers on a Train received mixed reviews, with Variety praising it, saying performance wise, the cast comes through strongly. Granger is excellent as the harassed young man innocently involved in murder. Roman's role as a nice, understanding girl is a switch for her, and she makes it warmly effective. Walker's role has extreme colour, and he projects it deftly. Conversely, Bosley Crowther of The New York Times criticized the film, saying, mister Hitchcock again is tossing a crazy murder story in the air and trying to con us into thinking that it will stand up without support. Perhaps it will be those in the audience who will likewise be terrified by the villain's darkly menacing warnings and by mister Hitchcock's sleekly melodramatic trick. But for all of that, his basic premise of fear fired by menace is so thin and so utterly and convincing that the story just does not stand in contrast. However, modern reviewers are overwhelmingly positive on Rotten Tomatrow's The film has an approval rating of ninety eight percent, with the consensus stating a provocative premise and inventive set design lights the way for Hitchcock's diabolically and entertaining masterpiece. Roger Ebert called Strangers on a Train a first rate thriller, and he considers it one of Hitchcock's top five movies. He added the film to his Great Movies list, and in twenty twelve, The Guardian praised the film's writing. Hitchcock's study of the guilt that tanks the human condition is just one cinematic master stroke after another. I believe, certainly when I did film studies, this is one of the films that was like on the curriculum. I don't know if it still is well.
Speaker 2: I suppose it depends what curriculum you're studying. This one isn't on the one that I teach, but Vertigo is via Avid Hitchcock, and as part of that then we would always say, watch lots of other Hitchcock films and this would definitely be one that I would push to my students and be like, watch this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so Strangers on a Train. Strangers on a Train, fucking great film. I first saw.
Speaker 3: This, no opinion on it.
Speaker 1: I first saw this at UNI, you know, in a literally like my first week at UNI. They showed this in the lecture theater. I'd never seen it. I didn't know what to expect going into it. Absolutely loved it. I was very impressed. Do you remember the first time you saw Strangers on a Train, Dave?
Speaker 2: I think I probably saw it at home on a DVD, because I do. I do have it on DVD somewhere, and I think it was probably whilst I was like discovering Hitchcock, so probably watched Rear Window, Psycho and Vertigo, and then I was like, I think Strange on a Train is one of his most well liked films. But it's not like the top top top tier.
Speaker 1: Cparently not considered to be like other than Ebert apparently. Yeah, I read it's not usually considered to be like top ten, but it's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's one of his best though. I really love Strangers on the Train as well, but yeah, I think when you think of the classic ones, it would be Psychoveria, Window, north By Northwest, when Vertigo, then maybe the Birds. It might be like the top five for a lot of people. But yeah, I put this in my top five. Pow or the first Hitchcock film you saw it was probably yeah, yeah, I reckon it would have been yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rory. I think this is a first for you, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'll be honest, like, for some reason, I've just never watched much Hitchcock. And it's not out of choice. It's not because I'm trying to avoid it, just by a weird happenstance. Of all the black and white shit I've been watching, Hitchcock just hasn't come up, which is unusual, I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, I maybe it's just me, but because I really like Hitchcock, but I think black and white directors, and I jumped straight to Hitchcock every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was funny one because I can't imagine most of his films are black and white, and if you if you add them all up, but he does obviously have quite a lot of color ones and stuff that I mean, you know, Psycho is a bit of a weird one because he'd been making color films for ages and then decided to go black and white for that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was clearly a directorial choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think a budget choice was a budget choice, to be honest. Yeah, which is weird. Yeah, that bla black and whe would have been considerable.
Speaker 1: That was I don't know if you know, Sorry, but spoiler for an episode we've already done. We did Roman Holiday recent Oh okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reason Roman Holiday is black and white was they basically said to the director, you can either shoot it on location in Italy, yeah, and it's got to be black and white, right, or you can shoot it in the studio and it can be color. And he thought it was more important to shoot on location than to shoot in color.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that was the right choice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really liked Roman Holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great film, A bit different to this, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was surprised watching it again, had no expectations going in. Didn't I really know much about the genre. You told me it was a thriller. Yeah, there's a there's a couple of elements that I think could have been done a little bit better. But other than that, overall, it's a very good film. Certainly kept me gripped to the end. We've seen this sort of film before and since, mostly not not before this point, but this sort of story has been retold several times, not not just in terms of its own remakes, but people doing a similar idea. But this one tells it very in a particularly well built way. It structures it very well, I think. So I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 1: We all liked it so, just as just to basically some of the plot for anyone who doesn't realize, this is about two men. Guy who is a tennis player who is stuck in a marriage that he's hoping to extricate himself from so he can get with his new squeeze, Anna, and she's a senator's daughter because once his tennis career has done, he wants to move into politics.
Speaker 2: But they saying sorry just to interrupt, but like there's one of the detectives says to him, oh, do you never want to turn pro as a tennis player? So I'm like, so what is this where like people go and watch amateur tennis players and like get he gets written about in the newspaper. I'm like a tennis player.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that, but then I remembered that in America. Yeah, because you're right in Britain, that would never happen, Like unless you're fucking playing, you're getting the news America college.
Speaker 4: Sports, yeah, yes, college football is actually basket. I wonder you'd never go and watch a university or college.
Speaker 2: I did wonder if as well. This was like sort of pre the age of people having TVs in the home, so there was just like nothing to do. So she was like, well, we might as well go watch like a good local tennis player. I think America helps as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They we have local newspapers in the UK, like the South End Deco. Yeah, it's not the same like when they have local news, and America local news is the state news. Yeah, so you end up with a.
Speaker 2: Lot which is that bigger than of the UK's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there will be like the big paper of I don't know, Illinois, m M. But it's only in Illinois. Yeah, but it's still the big paper because it's not to a town, it's it's to a whole state, Whereas in the UK you either get tiny little rag from local town like yeah the Sun all the times, or something like that, which is nationwide anyway.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Right, So guy gets on a training and we'll talk about pacing later, but this film gets straight into it. Yeah, he gets on a train and accidentally pure circumstantial bumps feet with a guy named Bruno Anthony played by Robert Walker. Quick thing. I didn't know this. You know, Robert Walker died the same year this came out. No, killed himself. I think it's really Yeah, suffered terribly with depression and took an overdose. Yeah, apparently was divorced twice by the age of thirty. Oh.
Speaker 2: Wow, he's great in this. I think he's like, by far and away, the best thing in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Died in nineteen fifty one adverse reaction to prescription drugs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is his second to last film, right, his actual last film. He died halfway through filming and they had to use some footage from this film, oh, to finish it. I was, I was because I watched it, and I was I was, like, this guy must have had a big career, because he's really good.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised. I didn't know that. I must have read that before, and it's just completely left my mind because like, yeah, I've seen this film a few times and definitely would have looked him up afterwards say, oh, okay, right.
Speaker 1: So he plays Bruno Anthony, and by a chance meeting, these two people meet and Bruno proposes to Guy the perfect murder, which is a frequently occurring Hitchcock trope, which is that he proposes that the key reason anyone gets caught in a murder is motive. So what if two complete strangers who by chance met on a train swap murders and proposes that he kills Guy's wife and Guy murders his father. I think because he wants to get his trust fund or something like that.
Speaker 2: Dad is really yeah, there's I think his dad wants him to get a job, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He mentions that is, you know, he wants me to go and work nine till five, work my way up in a company. Someone like me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, Because he goes, can you even imagine someone like that? Yeah, And the film sort of goes from there. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it. I know it's been out for seventy three years, but one of the things we hope to do on this show has encouraged people to watch older films. I mean, let's start with the performance. Is It's as good a place as any to start. Robert Walker is fantastic in this Yeah, he somehow manages to be do you know what? I thought he was almost a proto Norman Baits in the sense that he manages to be both. There's a feminine soft quality to him.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. Yeah. The way he likes was always checking his nails, isn't he and things? Yeah, I'd say it's more than slight. I think it is. Yeah, he is flaming, I think in this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's very sinister still.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the bits I really like is when they're at the tennis match and all the crowd are going left right, left, right, and he's just staring.
Speaker 2: Yeah straight, and there's a great zoom in on him, isn't there. Yeah? Yeah, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: But I don't think there was really any bad performances in this guy Farley's Farley Granger is pretty good. I feel like the gay subtext goes both ways with the characters. Some people don't. Some people think it's just Bruno.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be honest, I didn't pick up on the stuff from guys, I'm intrigued to hear what you guys are.
Speaker 1: Well, you watch that first scene really closely. I've never looked at either of you guys the way he's looking at Bruno, but he's really studying his face and he loiking down at his lips thought while he's talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I just figured that that was, like, who's this freak talking to me? He never actually tells him to piss off? So which at some point when certainly when he's like hey, it starts revealing that he knows about his private life, like just piss off. Yeah, So maybe there is that. Maybe the reason he didn't tell him to piss off was that he was kind of intrigued in a romantic sense or or an attraction sense.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I didn't catch that when I watched it, but it kind of makes sense because that is one of the things that I didn't get in this film. So I was like, why isn't he just tending the funk off? Like and then he's just he's like, oh, let's go on a subway car and chat about your dad? Why?
Speaker 2: Who is Yeah? Bruno is very charming though, isn't he and like he he kind of he pushes it a bit too far, isn't he? And then he kind of acknowledges he goes me and my big mouth kind of thing. So he does he just sort of skirts a line. I think he's intriguing enough as a character. That guy is like, okay, go. I think what I would say is that that the Farti Granger character and and his love interest, those to me are the most like boring parts of this film.
Speaker 3: They don't get a lot to do.
Speaker 2: No, well, they you know, sort of Farley Granger sort of just simpers a bit, doesn't he and kind of you know, goes, oh, there's bad stuff's happening. Whereas like all of the queer characters or the sort of the murderous characters are the interesting ones like bruno AND's younger sister, who's played by Hitchcock's daughter. She's great, Like she's like relishing the murder aspect of it.
Speaker 3: Happens now, like people love those true murder podcasts and stuff like that. Yeah, it much comes across as like a proto type of that.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, but I think like that's what's so great about this film is that everybody is interested in that stuff, and.
Speaker 1: Bruno says that to the two old women. Yes, everyone's interested in this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, everyone's potentially a murderer given the right circumstances. That's kind of you know, And there's there's a sort of slight, sort of fight club element to it. Isn't as well that like Bruno is kind of guy, a guy if he was let off the leash, like guy does what he says, he wants to ring his wife's neck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I would say in terms of the script, most of the script is quite solid, certainly around the Bruno Anthony character, but the character of guys, certainly in the first half he gets a little bit better in the second half the script. For the script for Guy in the first half, he just basically goes into scenes and goes, what do you mean? What does that what? Yeah? And it's like, does this guy not have any sort of motivations or anything of himself?
Speaker 1: He's just furthering the other guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think if anything, if the script needed any tightening, that's where it needed tightening was giving the main character, at least in the initial phase, something more of a personality of their own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more of an edge. Yeah, I think, Yeah, I think Hitchcock is way way more interested in the Bruno character.
Speaker 3: Yeah you can tell. Yeah, yeah, the way the way that Bruno is lit, the way that he's filmed, the way that he is performed, the way he is directed. Yeah, the way he's written. Everything is really this film about Bruno. Yeah, it's kind of watch weird. It's at one point I almost got a cable guy ish sort of vibe to the character, Like he's not as zany as Jim Carey's character, but when he's certainly when he's like waving his way into guy's life, meeting his family and all of the people that he knows, I was like, this is very like obviously cable Guy is very similar to this, because Cable Gay came like fifty years later, forty odd years later. But yeah, as I was watching, I was like, oh, intrigued, Like it's interesting to see where sort of the origins of some of these slightly more pop culture films where they come from in classic films. Yeah, because I'm fairly certain I don't know this as a fact, but I'm fairly certain the cable guy that idea that he insidiously weaves into the Family probably stems.
Speaker 2: From this, Yeah, possibly. I mean, it's a great setup, isn't it for a story?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think. But what I quite like about this is it it doesn't really feel like a classic film. It doesn't have any sort of pomposity or like respectaful respectableness about it. I quite like that this is It feels a bit sort of camp and trashy, and I like that about this film. It reminds me a little bit. And I don't know if it's just because of the fair ground element of it, but it reminds me a little bit of things like Final Destination and Scream in the way that you've got like the really good catty dialogue and people joking about murder and things like that, and I just think that's like so much fun. It's really really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of the dialogue for Bruno Anthony in particular, I noticed watching a few films from the same sort of era. I watched The Men, which was only a year before this, I think nineteen fifty, Marlon Brando's first feature film. A lot of the dialogue in that. Certainly the first half is incredibly witty, incredibly clever, and obviously things like twelve Angry Men. A lot of the interplay in the dialogue is again very witty, very clever. We don't get a lot of that nowadays in modern script writing, like they replace it more with sort of the Marvel style bathos humor because I suppose that's flavor of the month. But just having that interplay between people in the dialogue, I kind of missed that. Yeah, watching all these old films and going, man, I want some of this in my new film. It's like, where is this cool in a play going?
Speaker 1: Now? I think you have to go to the indie market to get that now. Yeah, I think you're not getting that from Hollywood at the moment.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Hollywood are interested in big bang boom explosions.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe I think it's it's like when you see a script that's written as well as this, it's just hard to do like these are. There's a reason why we're still talking about a film like this seventy three years after the fact, because it's really good.
Speaker 1: The Bruno Anthony character. The thing I hadn't remembered because it's been maybe ten years since I last saw this, So the thing that I hadn't remembered watching it back today is I didn't realize that there's not really anything. There's no sympathetic element to Bruno. Really, he's a spoilt, rich kid. His motives are entirely self self motivated. I hadn't remembered that. I thought my memory had been that his dad was more like actually abusive, and that's why he wanted his dad gone. So that was interesting to watch and be like, oh.
Speaker 2: Still likable though I think.
Speaker 3: Pure on charisma.
Speaker 1: Yes, likable in the way that villains are likable in the sense that they're not likable. They'd be a terrible person to know in real life, but they are thoroughly entertaining to watch. Likable in the way Anthony Hopkins is likable as Annibal Left. Ye. Yes, you want to watch him and you hope he stays on the screen or Heath led Her as the joker. You want him, but you wouldn't want to know him in real life. You wouldn't actually sit on the C two C and meet this guy.
Speaker 2: I think you'd be could find at parties Bruno, Yeah, if he was in a room full of people.
Speaker 3: And then when you're not choking old women, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean you would be like can you believe that guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, choke that. So Bruno ends up going through with his murder and he kills Miriam, who is.
Speaker 2: She's also great as well. Sorry, that's the other one. There's sort of the catty camp character. She is like in a way. Obviously she has to die for the plot, but I miss her so so much.
Speaker 1: She's comically villain villain.
Speaker 2: It's like I've got another man's baby and the two guys, but she's still flirting with Bruno.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've decided not to divorce you now because the money, she goes, I need the money for the lawyer.
Speaker 3: He hands, He then hands the body goes, I'm not getting lawyer anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, glassy, Yeah, that's everything I like about as well, because obviously she's a promiscuous character. I mean we can get into like the whole aspect of does Hitchcock like hate women? Does he hate promiscuous women? Does he hate gay men? All of these kinds of things. But I like that they've kind of not cast. I don't know, like if you read that script, you'd be like, okay, right, So she's she's a tramp, as the sister calls it, and she goes he's had a tramp, so you'd expect her to be this kind of like ultra sort of sex bomb popping on the screen. And she looks like this sort of like librarian kind of type, isn't she. But she's just like the d obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to be honest, she's offering it. The blokes are going yep, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so he was playing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he would get along really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the same type of villain as each other. If anything, he should have made the deal with her because she would have followed through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they would have just said a great time.
Speaker 1: So he ends up stalking her into this carnival, doesn't he? In the film end up coming back to this carnival at the end.
Speaker 2: That's the final destination three of it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I might be reading too much into this, but I noticed that I've never noticed this before. So she gets on a boat with her two young lovers and goes off into a tunnel of love and he follows behind. I noticed that his boat is named Pluto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doesn't have a name, nothing does.
Speaker 1: I just don't think the camera focuses on it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it did at least the one that definitely didn't have They might have had a name on the back of it. I don't remember, but he's had Pluto on the back. But then when they come out of the Tunnel of Love, he has a little flag that says Pluto on the front of his boat. They definitely didn't have a little flag with a name on the front of their boat.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just wondering if Pluto had been chosen deliberately because it's the Roman god of the underworld and the dead. Oh okay, and the fact that this literally immediately precedes her death and it's her killer that gets in the boat could be a coincidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is, though, because you told me that Hitchcock specifically picked what trash was in the in one of the gutters for one of the shots, and he was like, no, I want to personally pick every piece of trash that's in this gutter that doesn't sound like a man, and goes what's on the boat, gives a ship, just put it in the wall.
Speaker 2: It's a very functoriously relaxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very fun quote from Hitchcock. I don't know if you've ever seen it. I don't remember it word for word, but it's about how he One of his biggest problems with cinema at the time was he felt people didn't pay enough attention in scenes where characters eat, as in the directors didn't choose carefully what food the actors should have because he believed the food should represent the character. So like he's got a bit in one of his films. I thought it was this film, but I didn't remember seeing it, unless it's in the longer cut where they order food. Andrew now orders chocolate ice cream, a really fancy steak, and French fries because he's hedonistic. He only cares about himself, whereas Guy barely looks at the menu and just picks the first thing on the menu, which is a hamburger. And there's a whole quote from Hitchcock, which it's kind of funny given that Hitchcock himself famously very much like food, where he's talking about why he thinks it's so important and nothing takes him out of a film more while he's watching a film going that character wouldn't eat that, Yeah, yeah, that would be part of their diet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I just like that everything, and they're quite again, what I like about this film what I like about Hitchcock as well. He's not a subtle filmmaker, but all of the things that you see in his films kind of they'll repeat the same thing about that character. If that character is, like you say, hedonistic, then they'll always make sure that, Okay, well they're doing this thing, how can we get that character trait into that thing again? And he keeps doing it and doing it and doing it, and I yeah, I like it, but also it keeps up with that consistency with the character. Yeah, I mean, Bruno doesn't really got on much of a journey, does he suppose? But then that's the villain, isn't it. Most films, they kind of tend to stay the same.
Speaker 1: He does the really classic thing as well, of he nearly always frames shots. Whenever he's got two or more actors in a shot, the villainous actors are nine times out of ten on the left of the frame right or when not that, when they're not, it's the character who is weakest in the scene is on the left. So the only time I can think of that Bruno is on the right is right at the beginning, when he first meets Farley Granger. And that's because, as you said, Rory guys on the back foot in that whole first bit, everything, every line of dialogue he's got is a question. Yeah, and Bruno is just spitting out knowledge, and it's all these boastful statements, isn't it. Like I've got lots of theories. I think we should do this, we should do that. Like you say, that's not subtle, that's filmmaking trope number three. But Hitchcock uses it so well that I think you subconsciously internalize it and it just adds to what you're building.
Speaker 2: And it's always fun. That's the other thing that I like about Hitchcock. And I think we were not on a podcast. We were just discussing this the other week. Like one of my issues with some of the the filmmakers of today that gets celebrated naming no names, where everyone's like, oh, you know, he's a genius. He's just like yeah, but there's no sense of humor to their work, whereas like I always feel like, even in Hitchcock's you know and just you recount recounting the plot a minute ago, Jamie, it just occurred to me that this is a film which features the murder of a pregnant woman. Like that is dark, isn't it you.
Speaker 3: Well, that's only if she's actually pregnant, because she's she's not. Well, I'm not saying she's definitely not. She lies about everything, sure, So like the question is is, like it could be Yeah, as far as we're aware she's a pregnant woman, but she's checking two other guys. It's abandoned, seems to me. And she got the money off by saying I need a lawyer and then going haham not getting lawyers.
Speaker 2: Fuck you.
Speaker 1: So it's probably all bullshit.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe, but they never sort of even put they don't really plant that seed of doubt conclusively. But anyway, the point is, you know, he has these films which have like very very dark subject matter in him, but they're still really really funny. Yeah, it's really good fun film for me. I love the fun and the trashiness of this film in a way. I like that it isn't a film. It doesn't take itself seriously. This film, I don't think, and it's all the more the better for it. I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, while I was doing research just to I think shine some light on Hitchcock as a director. While I was doing some research for this film, I came across a piece that Jimmy James Stewart had done because he collaborated with Hitchcock, I think four or five. Yeah, he was talking about rope and rope. I don't know if you know, Rory. Rope's got this gimmick in it where it's designed to look as if it were shot in one on one on broken take. In reality, there were only ten minute takes because that was literally the well ten minutes was Birdman's digital but back then ten minutes was the maximum amount of film real you could run through the camera before it ran out.
Speaker 2: And then there's these weird bits where the camera just sort of decided after ten minutes to do a close up on somebody's back. They change the reil and then they will go with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there was a quote from Jimmy Stewart where he was saying that so he actually didn't think rope worked. He actually thought the gimmick didn't work in it. But he was saying, if there was any director in Hollywood who would try that just for the fun of it, because there was no need, There's no plot relevant reason that rope has to be shot that way. Now, yeah, it would be Hitchcock. He called him hitch Yes, I think they were real.
Speaker 3: Buddy.
Speaker 1: Buddy was like, yeah, if anyone's going to try it, it'd be hitch Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: I like, yeah, I mean you said the guy made like sixty films, so I think after a certain point, I mean, you know, just to make things interesting for himself in to kind of be in that position where you're going to go, I don't know if this is going to work. I'm just going to give it a go and they go, Nope, that didn't work. Never mind anyway, on to the next one. But that is that kind of that that spirit and that joy of discovery as a filmmaker, which yeah, it just makes him way way more.
Speaker 3: That's actually interesting think. Sorry, I just want to say, like you mentioning, that is the spirit of discovery. But this was not a small budget production, and obviously it's not a small budget creator. It's Hitchcock. Yeah, and he was well within his prime during his point. Maybe that's something that is also very different between you know, Hitchcock specifically and sort of filmmakers of today. A lot of the big budget filmmakers often they follow a pattern movesly they're told they have to buy producers or by studios. As we've said multiple times, You've said it even today, Jamie. You know, in order to get a certain amount of types of script or certain types of experimentation, you have to go indie now because it just doesn't come out of big budget studios. It's kind of interesting that you can't.
Speaker 1: Take the risk.
Speaker 3: You know, if you spent half a billy but Hitchcock making Avengers. Well, so I suppose it wasn't making you didn't need a billion to make the film. But no, but he probably wouldn't when you were just for inflation, one point three million back then was.
Speaker 1: Probably a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, I mean we could do the summers and find out. I don't think this would be like the biggest budget movie. It's not like Ben hur is it. But yeah, I mean these guys like Hitchcock and all these directors at this time are making at least one film a year, if not two, sometimes three or four films a year. So there is an element of like, fuck it, you know, let's just give this a go.
Speaker 1: So according to what I did in my read in my research, this film was a comeback of sorts for Hitchcock, not in the sense that he hadn't gone anywhere, because like you said, he'd basically been making at least one film a year for about twenty years at this point. But apparently his late forties output Hitchcock himself wasn't very interesting and was much more just like running a paint by numbers mode and was just sort of like costume people would bring him things and go this, He'd go, yeah, yeah, whatever sort of thing. And with this film, apparently he sort of got his second wind, I guess, and was much more like I said, apparently he actually made Bruno's tie himself, the lobster tie. Oh okay, he literally to the level of when when Bruno's reaching into the grate for the dropped lighter, yeah, Hitchcock insisted on picking the trash that would be in the grate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think he did experiment in this, didn't he? He did the I want to talk about the great shot when Miriam actually gets killed and the whole murder is reflected in the eyeglasses, which is actually a double exposure, right, It's how they had to. I mean, nowadays you'd just green screen it, but they had to do it exposure.
Speaker 2: And also like how it kind of like warps and distorts as he reaches forward and stuff. That kind of that perspective of it is mindful. Have you got the budget?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, sorry no, Yeah, so you say it's one and a half one point three million.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I said at the start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so if it's one point three million in nineteen fifty one, it'd be worth fifteen and a half million.
Speaker 2: Now, oh yeah, so that's a I mean, you don't get fifteen and a half million films, now.
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 2: Not really neither one million or two hundred million.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but yeah, and obviously this also, if people don't mind me skipping to the end slightly, the very probably the most well known part of this film, the carousel sequence, which certainly feels I can't think because I've not seen every Hitchcock film. I haven't seen north By Northwest because I know that's got the very famous crop duster scene that's probably the most but this, for me is probably the most action pact I've seen Hitchcock. Do I mean this I'd forgotten how out of control it goes.
Speaker 3: Like it is.
Speaker 1: You have to suspend your disbelief a little bit, because why would they build it with the ability to go that fat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was the fifties. They just didn't give a shit, did they. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's someone, if it can spin it over a one million, we're not going to use it. It's fine over engineer that ship.
Speaker 1: The memory i'd got wrong, The memory I had got wrong. I could have if you'd have asked me before I rewatched this this morning, if you'd have said to me, Jamie, what's the ending of strangers on a train? And bet fifty quid on it? I would have swore down that it's Guy and Bruno end up under the carousel, right, not the random guy. In my head, it was Guy crawling to turn it off and Bruno's coming after him, sort of like the end of Terminator ending. Honestly though, in my mind that was the ending, And then I watched it and was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe that's the two guy. Yeah, maybe it's the two minutes in the other version. No, it's I've remembered it wrong. But it looks great, doesn't it. It's even now I'm older, I can see the trick they've used where they deliberately under cranked the camera. When they play it at full speed, it looks faster.
Speaker 2: There's a great shot of the old guy, you got him underneath, and then you've got the wood spinning around, and then you can see the people in the background as well. It's kind of those three planes of whatever you record it, yeah, yeah, and draw you into it.
Speaker 3: But that was real, though, wasn't not?
Speaker 1: That was real? So Hitchcock has he came out and said that the ferris wheel wasn't going to the face wheel, the carousel wasn't going as fast as it looks. It was still going fast, and the guy still would have probably died if he just stuck his head up. But they under cranked the camera.
Speaker 2: And he wasn't famous, so it didn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Well, he was an actual carnival but he wasn't. He was an actual carnival worker who when they told the circus they were using what they wanted to do, he went, yeah, I'll do that, and Hitchcock was like, well, that saves us paying a stunt man.
Speaker 3: That's why they gave him the gravitas of when he first steps forward and he goes.
Speaker 1: I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what though, that guy's the fucking hero of the film. Yeah yeah, because if he didn't stop the carousel, all the kids that have died when it all broke apart. Yeah you know, so you know what that guy say. They want not a single fanfare for him. But after he's done it, though, they're just like, hey, well done for the.
Speaker 1: Punching the guy who's now dying in the caves where Bruno just throws that kid as well, that's insane.
Speaker 2: You don't love that character?
Speaker 1: Well, I do often fantasize about just throwing kids onto a.
Speaker 3: Just a little prat.
Speaker 1: Gone from me?
Speaker 3: Is that why you're on a list?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I really enjoyed this film. I Hitchcock's a director who I've constantly been meaning to see more of his output. I've probably seen. I bet you I've only seen four Hitchcock films.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Real Window?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: So that I think is the one, and I think I was listening to an interview with Bill Hayder the other day and he was talking about how he'd recently watched Rear Window with his kids, and he talks about a part in it which is like my favorite part of it and I won't realin but it still just works so well. I think this, I think Strange on the Train works. I think you can show this to a younger audience and they'll be like, oh, yeah, this is a really squaring or anything entertainment value. It doesn't doesn't drag, No, I don't think and rear window is just as as tight. Well, it's a great Have.
Speaker 1: You seen Rebecca?
Speaker 2: I have seen Rebecca.
Speaker 1: I really like Rebeccah.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I got shown that by one of my lecturers, not as part of a UNI thing, as part of I was making my final year film and he said, and we were trying to do something where we wanted this character to be really feared, but they're actually not on screen much. And the lecturer, a guy named Ronnie, great guy, just turned around and he was like, have you ever seen Rebecca? And I said no, And he bought his own personal DVD copy of Rebecca and gave it to me and he was like, watch this. He went, The character Rebecca is not in the film.
Speaker 2: The first Missus de Winter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's not in the film, but she overhangs every single second of the film. Yeah, it's great. I love We're going to do Rebeccah at some point because it's fantastic, delightfully gothic.
Speaker 3: Hey, he did the original Mister and Missus Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it's the same thing, is it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've never seen it, but yeah.
Speaker 3: It says remade as Missus Smith. I think it is, so Yeah, let me just double check the story on that. A couple who have been married for three years are shot to learn that their marriage is not legally valid. I was quite different. Then they just take the neighbor, but actually they've got to kill each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, what did you think seeing this for a second for another time? Dave any changing opinion? Still love it the same you always have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think it kind of went up in my estimation and for me, yeah, like I've probably said, that's already. It is easily one of my top Hitchcock films, I think, Yeah, watching it and and my my only sort of issue with it. I think it would be that Farley Granger guy and AND's character are a bit damp and not as interesting. But then that's fine because there's the other characters in it are so brilliant that it just carries it along. Yeah. I just think it's a great film, a great script, fantastic performances. I love that the sort of the heavy handedness of it. Like I said, he's not a subtle filmmaker. Like that opening scene where you see guy getting out of his like limo whatever the hell it is, and his shoes and he's got the guy carrying his luggage. But then you see guy coming out of like the sort of the you know, the old taxi cab and he's you know, got somebody's still carrying his luggage, but you know he's got his shoes aren't as nice. But yet that storytelling is just all happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, visual storytelling. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you didn't even speak about the recurring doubles theme throughout.
Speaker 2: This yeah oh yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Like you said, the opening with the two shoes, right down to like Hitchcock's carry in his cameo.
Speaker 2: Is getting a double bass. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Like it's like you said, he's not subtle, Like he picks a theme and he hammers it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but everything kind of grows from that. I think that's really really nice and it kind of makes you as a like filmmaker. I know you guys will write scripts and direct and stuff as well. It just makes you kind of feel like, yeah, you can just be on the nose with it, like don't try and be clever, and you kind of go, well, this wouldn't happen in real life. He's just like you know, if you.
Speaker 3: Try and make it too subtle, sometimes either muddy's it or people just miss it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go there, go what was that about? Whereas you watch Strange in the train, there's.
Speaker 3: No you're not gonna sit there and go what was that all about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's absolutely clear what it is. I think even you know, you don't have to be like a film academic to kind of get that whole thing of that, that Bruno is maybe a part of Guy in some ways and stuff like that. So yeah, it's great film.
Speaker 3: I haven't really got anything much more to add that you guys haven't. I thought it was a fantastic film. Again, hadn't seen it before.
Speaker 1: This is your first Hitchcock.
Speaker 3: No second, I've seen The Birds Pride. Oh no third, I've seen Psycho as well. But yeah, I am surprised at how little Hitchcock I've ended up sitting so far. But yeah, no, this is a very good one to go for. Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed it. The character of Bruno was fantastic. It's the let's be honest, he's the lynchpin of this film. He's also big shout out to Bruno's mum, who's brilliant.
Speaker 2: And that bit, that bit where where she does that painting and he laughs at it, and then at first she kind of acts a little bit, doesn't she, and then she kind of joins it. She's really really good. Yeah, I really like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Actually, and those those scenes that like are some of my favorite in the whole.
Speaker 3: Because he laughs at he goes, oh, it's father.
Speaker 1: She supposed to be saint something.
Speaker 3: But it's clear like a weird maducery. Yeah, she's totally dement she's nutty as well. That's that she's absolutely not on planet Earth either. Yeah, no, wonder her son is mental.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean one thing we haven't sort of discussed. I don't know if you want to discussed this or not, but like, do we feel that Hitchcock thinks that all gay men are psychopathic murderers?
Speaker 1: Because here we didn't we didn't discuss that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean because obviously in Rope there's again you know, it's never really explicit, is it. But basically, whenever there's a gay character in Hitchcock film, there'll be the ones doing the murdering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, At a certain point the pattern becomes too difficult to ignore. Yeah, because like, like you say, Psycho as well, Like it's a deliberate choice to make Anthony Perkins this feminized yeah, which didn't work when they remade it. That's that's like the main thing that makes the remake of Psychoe not work.
Speaker 2: I'm not seen it actually shot for shot one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, it's shot for shites, the same script, yeah, every but instead of boy next Door Anthony Perkins, you've got grizzled like beard, unshaven playing Anthony playing normal baits and it just doesn't work.
Speaker 3: There's something about I mean again, haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock work, so can't be too certain on this, but you guys will obviously be able to support this or not. Maybe it's not necessarily to do with homosexuality. Again, I've not seen enough of his works to know if that is the theme. Maybe it's just he had a very negative view on effeminate men, which it could be construed the same as being the same thing, but isn't always necessarily you get very butch gay men, you know, etc. And very effeminate straight men. But it seemed to me that whenever he was trying to convey sort of the darker elements of Anthony, it was you know, oh, look how effeminate he is with this. Yeah, it doesn't necessarily mean he is gay. It could just be that Hitchcock, being a man of his era, probably had a very negative view on effeminate men and thought that they were all a bit suspect.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing, isn't that You do wonder how much of it is Hitchcock personally being biggoted versus unfortunately the general times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm quite biggot it. I think at the time, homosexuality is seen as being deviant or aberrant, right, so that kind of thing gets lumped in with other deviants and other aberan behavior like murder. I think that the sort of the redeeming feature in all of this is that Hitchcock, obviously I think anyway, from watching this film and loves those people. He's interested or fascinated by people who engaged in taboo behavior, be it homosexuality at the time, or murder, or like incest as well. I mean there's an incestuous element between Bruno and his mother I think as well, like the fact that and wants to offer his dad. I always sort of saying he's sort of coded his queer, but does he want to off his dad to kind of be with his mum, like you've got that? Yeah, yeah, yeah exactly. And Hitchcock's obviously really into sort of psychoanalysis, so I think he does. Ultimately, any kind of deviant behavior gets punished in a Hitchcock movie, but that's always the most fascinating and interesting part of it. And the characters that are the best characters in the films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, Yeah, he doesn't. Just he doesn't lionize them in so much as you know, these sort of effeminate guys are just like, oh look at this stupid asshole over here. They are the central focus of the films. They're you know, they're they're the bits you remember. Yeah, so it's not dismissive, which usually a hatred would be quite dismissive. Yeah, he spends a lot of time if he does hate them he spends a surprising amount of time on Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think he was fascinated by it. Yeah. I think it's that sort of anything that was repressed or or taboo in society at the time. Those are the things that seemed to be his the juiciest part of his films.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He just likes pushing boundaries, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, I mean, you know, I wonder I wonder if if he'd been making films now, if Yeah, he'd do away with the Farley Granger character and just make it all about Bruno. Yeah. I just I wonder if the guy character would be himself equally kind of have you know, he wouldn't be as squeaky clean. Yeah, and I know like that he says at the start, I'd like to wring her neck or whatever he says. But other than that, he is just like complete vanilla beige boy, isn't he. Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was. There was one thing that I thought would happen in the film didn't happen when the when guy's wife goes to visit Bruno in Bruno's.
Speaker 2: House, right, and when she goes plead with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when she goes to plead with him obviously, he basically says like he's in his web of deceit on her, and it doesn't quite work, but he's trying to. Like she she walks away and still thinks he's the nut job. But you know he's sitting there going, oh, you know, I'm just trying to protect him, blah blah blah blah blah. I did kind of get the impression that towards the end is that I don't like being betrayed or whatever. He might have actually tried to pull her in on it and go, look, I don't really care who kills my dad, so if you do it, it's clean slate. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think if this had been like a nineties movie onwards as well, like he definitely would have fucked her. I think that would have happened. I Also, I think one of the the mystricks in this film is that she never doubts Guy's story.
Speaker 3: She gets one bit where she's like, oh, for just a moment, he is like, that's why I didn't tell you, yeah, and then that's it. It kind of moves on from it and.
Speaker 2: Her dad, who's a senator and I would assume be very wary of any public scandal whatsoever. And he's like, come in, guy, well, don't worry about it. You didn't do it, did you. No, I didn't do it. You would think you'd be like, look, kid, I don't think you did it, but it might be best if you just stay away from the house.
Speaker 3: It's like you watch over, ignore the police officer outside my home. That moment caused so I did like the line from the daughter where she's like, oh no, daddy doesn't buy the schedule. He's a senator.
Speaker 2: She yeah, I say she's brilliant. She's just the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I think that's probably it. Four strangers on the train ready to close the book on that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to say, well done to all of us for not making the snakes on a plane pun during Yeah, showing real growth.
Speaker 1: That's not a good move, to be fair.
Speaker 3: You know, it's worse than snakes on a plane.
Speaker 1: Snakes on a train, which does exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. I've watched it.
Speaker 1: It's awful. Of course, it's awful.
Speaker 2: Two snakes like bump their tails together and they go, yes, maybe I.
Speaker 1: Can't remember if I buy you buy that, guy, Okay.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest. I thought snakes on a plane was terrible.
Speaker 1: It's not good.
Speaker 3: It's a terrible.
Speaker 1: It's most remembered for the famous.
Speaker 2: Be get these strangers off this motherfucking train.
Speaker 1: Okay, then, well, thank you everyone for tuning in, thank you Dave for coming and joining.
Speaker 2: Us, thanks for having me, and you.
Speaker 1: Can also check out other show VGMP, the Video Game Movie Podcast, where we review video game based movies. Of them are terrible, but they're as artistically creative as hitchcom. Of them are garbage, but occasionally, once in a blue moon, we come across a hidden gem. And that's that's why we do the show, folks. That's what I'm saying. That's the occasionally. Black Heaven was brilliant. I'd recommend that to even my non video game fans.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: And having said that, it's time to wrap things up here and we will see you next time on Second Take Cinema