Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: All Right, people, take out your notebooks and pencils and trive rolls. You're listening to tech Talk Radio with true geeks. And by the way, I'm beast Eider and I'm a kiek too.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm sean to Weird, and I'm Matt Jones. And everybody is a little I don't know. We just say a little sleepy little.
Speaker 3: You're the only one that didn't lose an hour of sleep on Sunday, So you can just take that as you will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna go with like weary and mildly rage full at Andy.
Speaker 1: No, just but you know what, okay for us in Arizona, where we don't do any adjustment, there's somewhere else they don't. Is it Indianapolis that they don't change the time or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's not Indiana. Indiana's still Indiana. Just their time they do.
Speaker 1: There's it's Hawaii.
Speaker 4: Of course it's Hawaii, because white you need to change the time in Paradise.
Speaker 1: Well, the crazy thing is is because working in media, you know you're booking interviews. You're looking at people are contacting you go, Okay, what time do you want to have them? And then you have to like do the math, Oh where are they? And then you get this math to do, Like like I was trying to find out the time for you, Sean, because you're three hours ahead now, but I was trying to think, are you in that there's one area where it's only two hours ahead, and I was trying to figure out where it is.
Speaker 3: So we are the furthest West County in Indiana that is in Central Time. So I drive if I drove twenty minutes, maybe thirty minutes to the west, i'd be in Central Time.
Speaker 1: Right, that's weird.
Speaker 3: That's how close we are. If I drive north two miles, I'm in Michigan. So I'm kind of in a weird little trifecta. But yeah, Indiana, Indiana is a weird Like most of it's Central Time, but some of it's Eastern Time, and it's kind of a weird mix. But right, I have coworkers that live in Central Time, right, we have staff that live in Central Time and they drive, you know, but you know, forty minutes to get to work. But then they're also losing. It's so weird. I don't know how they do that.
Speaker 1: Is it better the other time of the year for you? For you guys, I mean when the time adjusts because you gain an hour, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean fall back, fallback, spring forward?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, is it better when you fall back?
Speaker 3: Over the years, I worked overnights during most of that time, so it's like you just worked an extra hour.
Speaker 1: I kind of trying to remember because I worked in radio in California where we'd have to do adjustments and you always think. I felt like I was getting ripped off an hour something.
Speaker 3: The thing that really frustrates me right now is getting my kids back into a routine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you don't think.
Speaker 3: You don't think an hour makes a difference, but until your kids are up at five am instead of six am or vice versas. So wow, just place havoc with their sleep schedules.
Speaker 4: And I've got three dogs and two cats, and time is a human construct. So yeah, there we spring ahead and they're like, hey, Hi, have I mentioned how hungry I am? And I'm like, well, you're standing on my chest and the sun's not up. So I had some inkling that there was something going on our cat for the first time ever. Last night one of our cats lose at two am, decided to stage a protest and took her metal food bowl and just started chucking it around our bathroom.
Speaker 1: Nice of that cat and my.
Speaker 4: Wife, God bless her. She got up, you know, got up, put the ball back in, looked at the cat, was like, what are you doing? Two hours later at four am, I guess one protest wasn't enough because now she's throwing it across the room. Instead of just like drop it, pick it up, drop it, she's flinging it across the room.
Speaker 1: The cat reactions, so now it knows yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like, no, the cat's training us successfully, I'd like to point out, very successfully. Like this morning, I got up and she's chewing on the collar that we take off at night, and I'm like, no, don't chew on that. And as soon as I get up, she gets just like ah, gotch and dives into the bathroom for food. And I'm like, I am losing this fight. I am not winning against a two brain celled cat and both brain cells are fighting for third place.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, well, hopefully you'll be able to catch up on the sleep. But I'll tell you we got some great comments a couple of weeks ago when Sean you were talking about the EPSOM fast photo six' adw. We've given that a lot of time and I was gonna post the video and I haven't done that yet. Of the scans that you were doing, you actually you're still working on that project, right.
Speaker 3: So the backlog this is great, right, the backlog of photos that I had from the project I started in twenty nineteen, which was all of my grandparents' films, thirty five mili slides, lose four by six whatever that's done.
Speaker 1: Oh great, that's cool, right.
Speaker 3: Because in the time that I got that scanner and I just you know, just in just putting a couple out, maybe an hour or two a day into it, I blew through probably twenty eight hundred photos.
Speaker 1: Nice, that's good, and got them in.
Speaker 3: And organized and upgraded and uploaded to the cloud and onto my sand storage.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So it's like that thing saved me so much time.
Speaker 1: Well. I one of the nice comments we got was from Mitch Goldstone, who we've had on the show a couple of times, from scan my photos. They have a business that does that and he appreciated the fact that, yes, you know, we're mentioning you could do this yourself. You have the opportunity, and of course we did mention that you could also go to a service like like Mitch offers, but he appreciated the fact that you're talking about the importance of preserving members. We've seen what happened in Hawaii, We've seen what happened in Los Angeles and Pasadena with floods. Now that people are concerned with some of these images could be lost forever where there's no maybe no negatives in a disaster, and you don't want that to happen. So we appreciated the aspect of you saving these images for your family. You actually have gone another step where and somebody listening may think, well, I've got a scanner, I've already scanned all my photos. You've got those eight millimeters or super eight millimeter reels of film. Have you taken the steps to get those done? And again, Mitchell's company could do that, but you actually let me know that there is a way you could do this yourselves as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've talked about this on the show before because this was part of that project I started back at twent nineteen. Well, my mom, my aunt, my uncle pitched in a couple hundred bucks to get me a step by step film scanner right eight milimeter super eight millimeter film scanners called a Wolverine data film to digital movie maker pro. Okay, you can buy them on you can buy an Amazon, B and H Photo, etc. They make a couple cheaper versions. I would avoid getting the cheaper ones if you if you're looking to do this, I would get I would spend the four hundred dollars to get it. The next I will recommend that this is the lowest tier you're going to get at a consumer level, because the next step starts adding commos to the price.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so.
Speaker 3: Right, so you start getting into a little bit more of the bottom end of the professional level. So this is kind of the happy medium, and it's relatively easy to set up, but there's a lot of prep work involved. Right, So I scanned I got I don't even know. I scanned so many films from my grant, from my grandfather, my mom's side of my maternal grandparents.
Speaker 1: What years are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Oh, so late forties, so forty nine to wow, eighties? Right, So I mean there was. There was stuff ranging from when my when my grandfather serving the navy in the late forties into the fifties. You know, film of my mom's first birthday. You know, so in the the early fifties.
Speaker 1: Now, these would all be silent. They wouldn't be because you didn't have Yeah, yeah, you know, there's.
Speaker 3: No there's no audio recordings that went along with these. No, you know, they didn't do the total like, yeah, it's all silent. So but it it What I like about it is and you came across a lot of in my research on trying to find a scanner. You came around a clock. You came across a lot that would just pull the slides through and just kind of videotape them as they went through.
Speaker 1: Right, This actually steps.
Speaker 3: Has a stepper motor in it that steps through every single frame has it catches this brocket advances it one frame takes it takes an image, advances it takes an image all the way through until you stop it. So what that allows us to do is then it compiles it at twenty four frames per second, which is film speed to play back for the human eye, and it generates an MP four file for you right off, right off the machine. So I can then take that and put it right into a you know, a final cut Pro Premiere, Da Vinci, Resolve, etcetera, etcetera.
Speaker 1: So you could put graphics in there than with some of these programs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, at that point, you're it's up to how creative you want to get. But it's a very time consuming process, right, And that's something I always try to remind people about this process. This is a very time consuming process. Not a lot of people are going to sit through and do this, and that's what I'm taking out of this is I'm spending time with my family's history, seeing these come to life with the videos, the pictures, touching them, holding onto them, remembering, oh, yeah, that was me when I was six. I'm a goober, right, It's like I'm missing fourteenth and all this whole thing. So it's just a cool process. So this past week I got in touch with my uncle who gave me my paternal grandparents' films.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I'm now in the process of scanning even more film and I just scanned in this this this morning a four inch reel of film. So you know, imagine a four inch reel that it ended up being about fourteen minutes of foot edge.
Speaker 1: Wow, I remember you remember you would take the I had a Super eight camera and I would take the you know, the little film out and I would take it to the photo matter or wherever I was getting processed, and they would then give me a reel. And that reel was about three and a half minutes is what you would get off the standard. But then if you you know, wanted to edit and spice together, you could have one of these five inch reels or even seven inch reels I from what I remember, and you would get like a longer amount of time. That would mean it would take you longer scan though.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, so this reel is definitely multiple smaller reels spliced together.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: They had a he has the original spicer that they have with the tape. If you've ever done tape to tape or film to film splicing, which I had to do in college, it's a it's a bear, it's a pain. Light it up, cut tape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spin the real go go go.
Speaker 3: Lice tape Spinspinspin's go go go, Right, So.
Speaker 1: I had to do that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: It's a process, right, so it's it's a time consuming process. And I'm also cleaning and and and and and kind of setting it for archives. So I'm also unspooling it with and cleaning it with ninety nine percent ice pp alcohol and a film cleaner. Right, so I'm spinning it through, cleaning it with with a cotton cloth, unspooling it, spinning it back. So I'm cleaning it so that when it goes to the scanner, it's not goobling up with potential mold, you know, because it's yeah, emulsion is a chemical that can break down and can grow mold. So I experienced that with the first part of the project where I didn't clean I mean I was cleaning it, but not doing a very good job of cleaning it. And then I would go, why is this the crummy that I take the film out? It's got crumbs and it's got so I've been I cleaned the scanner every time before. I love a new real film. So it's just a pain. It's just it's a pain, but it's totally worth it. It's just time consuming.
Speaker 1: Now with this Wolverine data film to digital movie maker projector this isn't the kind of projector. You would say, oh, I'm gonna go ahead and play a move. I'm gonna play the movie. Well, watch it on the wall or watch it on a screen. This is mainly just four digital transfers, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is just pulling the film through shooting light from the bottom up so that an image scan an imager can take a picture every frame, and then it gives you a file at the end.
Speaker 1: Some of the quality look looks pretty good. I know, matt you you saw some of the some of the finished product of one he had just finished. It was pretty pretty clear.
Speaker 4: It was really clear. Like I was looking at it, like what Coming of Age film? Am I about to start watching? Like I feel like I should be hearing you know, Corey Matthews coming over the voiceover, like it was the summer of nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 1: Yep, I know when when Sean was telling us this was taking in nineteen eighty one, I felt very old because that's when I was graduating from high school, or nineteen eighty even I was, I wasn't even born. Oh man, you guys, this is great though. It's a great way to preserve that technology. Now they don't rent the projector. You don't have to buy this from like what B and H or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can buy it from ben H Photo, which is my go to for pretty much anything we buy professionally. It's not Amazon. I just wouldn't trust Amazon for I'm hesitant to trust Amazon for purchases these days.
Speaker 1: Oh, especially one of the story of one of the big stories from today. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's just you know, and B and H Photo. They're great, but yeah, it's it's it's kind of a set and forget right, all right, there's some tweak that I've made, and I've actually had to go in and repair the unit myself. So I had some issues with it. And if somebody wants my how to step by step guide on how I do it, it's not how you do it in the guide, it's it's it's the the real to real part of it. Right. It's got an arm with the you can put the reel on and then it's supposed to spin onto the other reel. Right, so it's supposed to pull the keep tension. That's a that's a load of crap. That system doesn't work. It's it's it's it's two motors. Well, so it's it's a free spinning on on on the feed side, and it's a it's pulling on the on the on the receive side. That motor is not strong enough. So as soon as you get more than two feet of film and it starts getting tight, it starts to skip, it starts to it starts to spin, and it starts to the motor starts, it starts lagging. So what I do is I said, it's literally sitting right at the edge of the table. So I've got the feed real and I have it coming through and I loop it through the guides and I just let it dump off the edge of the table.
Speaker 1: Oh, there you go.
Speaker 3: So it the weight, the weight of the gravity holding the film down is enough to keep the film tight in the carriage.
Speaker 1: If you have a cat, don't let your cat be linger you're around, because you will kill the.
Speaker 3: Cat would be all over that. But it looks it. I'll send a picture. It's a big nest of film, Like I mean, this is I don't know how much, fourteen minutes of film.
Speaker 1: It's it's yeah, it's a lot of film feet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a long it's a long fifty film.
Speaker 1: I think fifty feet, if I remember correctly, was on the small reels, and that's where you got three and a half minutes. So that kind of tells you a little bits.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's a lot of film, and like he said, I've been cleaning them. So I've been a lot, a lot of spooling, a lot of spooling.
Speaker 1: You know what I have on now? I might it might be sixteen millimeter, and I don't know if they make if Wolverine makes a sixteen millimeter film, you know, to digital. But I have the original trailer for Star Wars before it ever hit theaters, before anybody knew. Yeah, I on sixteen millimeter and it has a different soundtrack. The visual effects aren't put in yet where they're firing the blasters and the lasers. I mean, it was pretty good. I bought it a science fiction convention back in probably nineteen seventy seven, seventy eight. I got a script for Star Wars, you know, where it had It had bigs and the different characters that maybe weren't didn't make it fully into the big film. But either way, that sixty milimeter trailer I still have, and the narration of the music was ter It wasn't even the music that you know, John Williams music. It was some classical score. But I would love to find a way to get that also transferred, so that you know, I would say, okay, I have it. It's probably out there on YouTube anyways, but still it would be cool to see.
Speaker 3: Well, one of my favorite project was the four K remasters, right, if you any of you have gone through the process of trying to find those and download them, they're incredible. By the way, it's a hot topic, so I'm not going to discuss how to find those or where to get them. Is this Star Wars. It's the original trilogy. It's called Project Night whatever year they will mean nineteen eighty three four K or whatever. And there somebody got a hold of a thirty original thirty five you know whatever, the thirty five millimeters original print and remastered it in four K, and it's incredible to see the difference, right because it's all pre special editions, it's all the original film release.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So if you're a huge Star Wars nut, you can just google it. You'll find it. Go down the rabbit hole if you want Project four.
Speaker 4: K, Project four K seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. I'm gonna look for that one. Yeah. I used to love collecting movie trains. I had that one at the car. Do you remember the one with James Brolin in the car was like a crazy looking car at the trailer for that.
Speaker 3: A few decades behind us, you got you gotta you gotta bring it a few decades forward.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Yeah, Young Frankenstein. You ever hear that one? I get that one.
Speaker 3: That's a great.
Speaker 4: Lindsey hey.
Speaker 1: Actually you know with the passing, with the passing, uh not that long ago. Have gene hackmen too. You have to think about that scene in Young Frankenstein with him and Peter Boyle as Frankenstein and he plays a blad man right to light his cigar, poor coffee and just completely terrorizing poor Frankenstein.
Speaker 2: Where are you gonna go?
Speaker 4: I was gonna make espresso?
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 3: Frankenstein is such a great movie.
Speaker 4: It's it is such a classic. It really anything Melo Brooks has done is just timeless. Slee Bulletproof and I saw there was a there's an interview where they were like, what movie did you make that you could never remake today? And they barely got the question up before it was like Blazing Saddles. Yep, absolutely, Like there's no way I could remake that today a chance.
Speaker 1: I was really jazzed many many met years ago when we were doing the show. And I don't know if this happens in Palm Springs or it was in Tucson when we first got her, But Burton Gilliam, who was in Blazing Saddles, did the voice work of a character in a game called Redneck Rampage and got him on the show to talk about being a voice in a very popular video game. When we got a chance to touch on Blazing Saddles and all that, he was just just one of those crazy characters. But yeah, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: You got any dimes?
Speaker 1: Yeah? More beans, mister Taggert, sa you have had enough, all right. Speaking of filmmaking, I had a filmmaker over the other day to the house, one of the producers of a documentary called Ugly Little Monkeys, and it's a true story and it's it's a sadly it's a true story. But we were talking about filmmaking and editing over the years, and he told me about using this program called Da Vinci Resolve. And while him and I both came from that same He used Final Cut for a long time, got to a certain point in Final Cut and he said, I'm not using this anymore. And I said, I kind of went through the same thing. Then I used Vegas for a little while from Sony. Then I used you know, Adobe Premiere Pro.
Speaker 3: I like doing that.
Speaker 1: He said he liked using Premiere Pro, but he found that with the new version of Premiere Pro, he's just not happy with it. And said, DaVinci Resolved is a completely fantastic program. And I told him I've never really used it. I think I have a cop. I think I have a copy when I got my A ten Mini, But I'm not sure. What do you think about this, Sean? Have you had any thoughts about DaVinci Resolve.
Speaker 3: If if you are a editor, you're already using.
Speaker 1: It, Okay, you're using three three.
Speaker 3: There's three softwares you're using that you should know how to use as a professional video editor. Final Cup Pro, Adobe Premiere and da Vinci Resolve. That those are the top three, right, There's some other ones in there that you know, they work just as good, but there they cost money. It's it's the whole thing. One of the things don't you go ahead?
Speaker 1: Well, one other things about Premiere Pro. It can be pretty pricey.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a sass. Now, yeah, software is a service, like that's the way Adobe went right. So you're you're stuck with the constant updates. You know, if you have auto updates on now you're screwed because your project is twenty twenty four and now you're project twenty twenty five. The whole thing. We're dealing with that at work because we're an Adobe house at DA Vinci. Resolve has been a huge disruptor in the non linear editing world.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You had, if you go back a decade even maybe a little bit more, you had Final Cut seven, Final cust Studio, you had Avid Move, you had Avid, you had Adobe, and you had light Works, a couple other Sony Vegas, ediis a couple other other other ones in there. And then when Final Cut ten came out, a lot of people abandoned ship because there was such a such a Draassic shift, a lot of people fled and they went to the PC market. So Adobe pushed out a MAC version of Premiere because Adobe used to only be PC version. I think back even up until like twenty two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, I'd have to go back in the history of that. But then you had Black Magic Design said, well, we've got our coloring suite called Da Vinci Resolve. Well let's now let's make it into a it's kind of a nonlinear editor. And then they kind of tweaked it and made it into a nonlinear editor and it competes. Yeah, it's it's right up there. It's free. That's the biggest one.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want the full the full suite apparently that right, but it's still it's still less expensive than the others.
Speaker 3: So the free version, it's it has an extensive list of features, right, but it includes their advanced coloring correction. That's probably the biggest part of it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: A lot of people would take their films out of premiere or out of final cut export the xmls, bring them into Resolve just to color correct them and color grade them and then put them back in for finishing. There is a studio version of Resolve. It adds a handful of features, advanced noise reduction, higher resolutions and stuff. I don't know what the resolution limit is, but it's probably like two ksion. But yeah, it's it's by far probably the best color grading built in caligrading you can you can do with uh professional software.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: To get a copy of this, uh it would be a matter of going to black Magic Design and they're the people who put this one out, and then you would be able to download the software and and see, you know, maybe learn how to edit.
Speaker 3: I mean that's yeah, and I mean a lot of people caught onto this because black Magic as a whole. You can you can kind of live in a black Magic ecosystem, right if you're shooting on their their black Magic ursas, their studio cameras, et cetera, et cetera, they can. They now have their own raw format, black Magic Raw, which is native into results into uh DA Vincial Resolved. So just working in their raw format and their software just makes things a lot a lot easier. But I've used it. I'm not by any means of professional on it, but I know what it can and can't do. But no, for if you're a few want a free, great software to edit movies on, this is this is it. Now. It's not gonna run on your rinky dank laptop with eight gigs RAM and a you know, an I three, yeah, two duo or something. Right, it's gonna you need something a little substantial with a dedicated GPU, probably sixteen gigs of more RAM, a current ish gen processor maybe five or six years old, you'd be fine.
Speaker 1: But and SSD or M two. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: If you're not, If you're running spinny drives, good luck. I'm not evenna talk to you. You're still running seventy two hundred rpm drives at this point, you're go back to the final cut studio like five and six.
Speaker 1: I've tried editing with those before. All right, listen, we got to take quick break. We come back. We have listener questions other stuff that's been announced as well that we'll tell you about with more. You could also drop us a question anytime. Tech guys at tech talk radio dot com. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm sure to weird.
Speaker 4: And I'm Matt Jones.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: I know, like kind of at the end of that we were touching a little bit on hard drives for some things. And there's a great listener question kind of in that vein from Albert from Tucson a few weeks ago. I was listening to the program and you were talking about how the different operating systems have changed. One of the things I very much changed, Albert, You are correct. One of the things I remember doing often on the old computer was running something called defragment. I don't see that anymore and wondered if it's still something people do. Thank Christ, no we don't, So let me give you a.
Speaker 1: Can you explain what defragment was for people who know they've heard the term.
Speaker 4: So back on the old spinny drives, you basically was that you had a little spindle on it going back and forth on these platters reading the bits of data that we're in there. And over time, as you would write stuff, delete stuff, move stuff, those little bits of data star being on different locations in the platter, they get spread out and it would increase your your load times, your transfer times, because it'd have to go find each one of those individual little spots the data was fragmented. Defragmenting was the unholy long process. And back when the first time I defragmented, you would put a disc in and boot to it so it would defragment and it would find every one of the and Sean just put it up on his on his screen and I'm having flashbacks, not good ones, And it would find all those little sectors and basically kind of like clump everything back to where it was supposed to be, and it would make your computer run better, it would make it healthier. But it could take you. It could take you hours, it could take you days, depending on how much data you had. And there was nothing worse than being a kid being like, I'm going to go home and play a computer game. It's defragmenting. Well, definitely not doing that today.
Speaker 1: And that was one of the things. You couldn't walk away from it. You just have to stare at it and just look at it and watch.
Speaker 4: It and fuel your soul slowly crush.
Speaker 3: So I had somebody explain it in the most simplest terms to me one time. What exactly defragging does, right? Okay, imagine you took collected all of your mail from the last year, that's it in the original envelopes, and then you decided to open all those envelopes and throw everything across the room. Yeah, okay, now all your mails spread out. Now go through the process of putting all that mail back where it belongs.
Speaker 1: Right now, what I asked that that made the most sense to me.
Speaker 4: As painful as that sounds, defragging was equally as painful.
Speaker 3: Correct, here's one.
Speaker 1: Now what I taught. I taught a night class of computer technology to uh, you know, people would come to the adult school and I would teach them all about tech. And that's when defragmenting was the thing. But I kind of compared it to having a drawer full of socks. But the h socks is each sock is different. You have a pair and then you split them up, but every thing is different. You don't have two white socks, your two red socks, three blue socks. They're all different. You have to try and put them together. And that's basically what it was doing. The problem is that in Albert's question, you know, defragment what happened to it is? Is it something that's not done anymore?
Speaker 4: It is not done anymore. So defragmenting went away with spinny drives. There was a there's a very short the well, not as short as I would have liked, but there was a small overlap period where people would defragment a solid state drive an SSD and defragging an SSD will drastically decrease the lifespan of it. What is done with these new solid state drives, the m DOT two n v ME drives is called trimming and your computer, Thank god Automa does it now.
Speaker 3: It is built.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure it was since I want to say it was either Windows seven or Windows eight point one. They basically built it in that it is just an automated task that the computer runs by itself. You don't have to go in and kick it off and do it. And it trims and basically says like, hey, these are here, these are here, these are here. And because the difference being in a spinny drive, it had to make that change of moving that little piece of magnetic resonance and right to another physical location on the spinny drive. There are no real true physical locations in a solid state drive. It's just permanently stored electric memory.
Speaker 1: Now, when you have a problem too on a big file, somebody had told me if you have big files, because let's face it, we're working with bigger files. Now you got more storage. Bigger files, video files, audio files, photo files that are raw. If it moves something, you could actually break the file.
Speaker 4: It can yeah, it could break and corrupt the file. So there there actually were some risks to defragmenting, but it was one of those darned if you do, darned if you don't. You had to do it, and I remember vividly I had finally this was such It was like one of the first first person shooter games I ever played. It was NERF Arena Blast and it was basically like a reskinned unreal tournament for kids, like no blood NERF guns. But I remember like I gotten so far and I'd finally beat this one stage that like I had been struggling with, and we defragged the computer and my save file was corrupted.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, have you ran a lot of zips or our archived folders that also would happen to them too, They could be and those could be corrupted easier than others, and some people it's still never been able to get into these files that they may have stored a lot of stuff in and then deleted the originals and then that's that's gone.
Speaker 4: I deleted the originals, all right, Then I defragmented my hard drive. You can stop there. I know how this tragedy ends.
Speaker 1: Just now, when it comes to disc utilities though at the time that was probably a very useful disc utility. I know Sean recently took a look at the new Windows eleven utility program. Uh, did you get a chance to run that and look more into it.
Speaker 3: No, I've had no need, so yeah, I looked at it, said well, if I needed, I'll use it.
Speaker 1: But I never was like dis tools or something like that.
Speaker 4: So so I actually have the native one built into Windows eleven open right now. If you go in and tight like disc or defrag, it will pull up defragment and optimize drives. Because there are some poor souls out there still running spin so we still have to have the and I don't mean that economically, I feel for your souls. Yeah, but it still has a built in defrag utility. But if you have solid states, it is the optimized drives. And you'll look at the current status and like I'm looking at my Sea drive and it says, okay, one day since last retrim, I have rebooted. I've not rebooted my computer since like a little bit over a day ago.
Speaker 3: So it did it.
Speaker 4: On the reboot, it trimmed the drives. Now I can always go in there and be like, hey, I could click right now and be like optimize, But the scheduled optimization drives are being analyzed on a scheduled cadence and optimized as needed frequency weekly and you kind of want to leave that as is, in my opinion, you don't want to get over zealous with that, Like a week is fine, And if you're moving a ton of files and everything around, just just go in there and take a lot. Look. You can click the analyze button be like do I have a problem? Do I need to retrim it right now? But don't run a d frag on an SSD. You will chop a large chunk of a life span off.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, that's a that's good advice. So basically telling Albert, don't worry about.
Speaker 4: It, don't if you don't have a spinny drive, don't worry about it. Those days are gone. They can't hurt you anymore. We're okay, they.
Speaker 1: Won't hurt you anymore, because all right, here's one from Roger. I thought this is a pretty good one, and this could be a good one for Sean to help with as well. Is there a huge learning curve to switching to the Apple platform Windows eleven seems like it won't work on my computer. That's a lot of people finding that one out and thought maybe now would be the time to switch. What are some considerations from Roger and Slita?
Speaker 3: This is this is a loaded question, right, because I've been such a duel user for so long, I don't know what it would be like to jump in. Yeah, first, I mean I don't. I would love to tell them there's no learning curve, but I've been using mac oes since I don't know, for a long time. So it's it is a different UI. It is a different system, right. It is fundamentally different in terms of how you access your files, where things live, how you open programs, how you download programs, how you install programs, how you function with the Internet is different, unless you like from the get go right. So you can download Chrome and it can you can have your experience being the safe. But if you're not familiar, if you don't know what Safari is, you might be up the creek a little bit, right, if you've never heard of Safari before, it might be a little intimidating. It's not you know, the South African trip to see the animals, right, It's the web browser that mac comes with, so it's there. If you are an iPhone user or an iPad user, you will have an easier go at getting accustomed or tuned to macOS.
Speaker 1: But if you've never used those before.
Speaker 3: But if you've never used it before, it's you're going to have a learning curve and you are going to get frustrated. And one thing that I've learned about the world that it is right now, people do not have patience for technology.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: So you know when when Caitlin's parents went to go get their new laptop, right they straight up told me no mac Os or not doing it, because I would have tried to push them onto like like an M two Macair, something a little bit more streamlined, because then for the price of what you're paying for a decent laptop, you could potentially get two macwak errors and then they could have each of their own. But they weren't interested in doing macOS at all because they're Android users. They've never used mac os. He my my father in law, said straight up, I don't I don't want to learn a new operating system.
Speaker 1: Well with so somebody's thinking about this and they're saying, well, my Windows eleven computer is or Windows ten is not going to be able to update the Windows eleven or maybe they're still on seven or or something else. Maybe they shouldn't invest in a full on mac book or you know, the big Mac system. Maybe get a Mac, the basic Mac and just to learn it if they want to experience that, or is there any way for them to really so kind of go through that.
Speaker 4: So there there there actually is.
Speaker 2: And this is.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to jumping on this one, but I I actually used to be a Mac genius working at an Apple store in Virginia, right, And one of the things that has kind of fallen by the wayside, at least the last time I was in there of telling people when they would go into that store, into an Apple store to buy a Mac. One of the questions we used to ask was, Hey, is this going to be your first Apple device or is this your first Mac computer? And if they were like, yes, it is. Apple stores offer free classes. You just have to go to the store. Like each store has their own little website. You know, you'll go to Apple dot com, you know, go through find your store. Like for me, probably the closest would be like down at Cherry Creek Mall or something, but I, you know, I want to look and see if this was still something they offered, and it is.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: They actually have a Getting Started Mac class that runs for an hour and its description is learn the essentials to get the most out of your Mac. We'll start with settings and show you how to navigate everyday futures with ease. Then you'll explore how to customize your Mac so you can work and create the way you want. We'll even share our favorite shortcuts for staying organized and fun ways to search with Siri, and then for accessibility for sessions with amplified sound hearing loop technology is available on request. Each store offers these. I think they've kind of reorganized the job titles, but it used to be, you know, Mac genius, you were the person behind the genius bar repairing and doing technical support. Creatives were equivalent in technical capability, but theirs was all the software side. They had specialized people in Final Cut, in Garage Band, in all those programs, and you could register for a class and they could walk you through you know, beginner, intermediate, Advance, and then you also had the specialists, which were you know, your general salesfolk. But you can come in you registers for the class. You bring your device, You'll sit down and they will have a big old screen there walking you through everything so you can do it on yours. You can ask questions, go through it. It is the most underrated but beneficial feature that Apple stores offer because these classes aren't just for Mac. They have getting started with Apple Watch, iPad, iPhone. They really want you, like, if you're going to spend that amount of money, they I don't want you to hate it. So if you're looking to cut over to the new OS, usually if you take if you take that class, it helps a lot. We've also had huge strides and like YouTube and shows that and you know on demand things that can help you there. But in general, what I saw at my time at the store for people cutting over was it took about two weeks to get comfortable with the basics on your own, to kind of get that second nature feel down. And Sean's entirely right. It is an entirely different operating system. At its core, the way it handles programs is vastly different than the way Windows handles programs. To go a little technical, Mac is built off of Unix, and Unix treats everything like a file. Apps are a file, a printer is a file, a hard drive is referenced as a file. Everything is technically a file.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right.
Speaker 4: Windows decide to be like, we're gonna make this a device, We're gonna make this a folder. We're gonna make that, We're gonna make this easier. And at the end of the day we're like, you didn't make anything easier.
Speaker 1: You just made everything worse. Well, our nearest Apple story is long cantata for those here. Also, I want to recommend there are Apple groups you may find. You know, you have an Apple user group in your community. I know that Green Valley Recreation we're in Green Valley. They may have an Apple Users group. They're very helpful. And if you go in there and you see, I'm new, I just want to check it out. They'll let you come to a meeting you just want to, you know, look them up online and be able to get the information on that. So that's also true.
Speaker 4: The most understated resource for this that I especially in today's day and age, you need your support as well. Your local library.
Speaker 1: There you go perfect.
Speaker 4: If you go to your local library and you ask, there might be somebody who's free who will sit and help you with it, or they might have a class that you can go and participate for free with your free library card. Libraries are vastly underrated for the services that they offer, and I know two of the ones near me do offer beginner to intermediate tech classes. Not just like Grandma needs to learn her computer, but like, hey, we'll teach you some of the basics of it. So you can see if that's something you like for any age group. So also check out your local library and see if they offer something.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going to take another break. We come back the Gaming Hall of Fame. The Museum of Gaming has put together its list of the inductees for the Best Games Ever. They'll be three I guess they'll be inducted. We'll go over to the list and find out which ones you think should be in the Hall of Fame. Coming up with tech Talk Radio. I'm Ady Taylor, I'm Sean to Wear It, and I'm Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Feel free to find us on Facebook at facebook dot com slash tech Talkers will be right back.
Speaker 3: Now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 5: My parents just got a computer. Let me tell you want to lead a stress free life, you don't allow your parents to have anything made after nineteen seventy two. Every time I'm home, it's another computer problem. Yeah, it just locked up when I was playing Tetris. It's not Tetris, that's a.
Speaker 3: The fragmentor the year is nineteen ninety eight. You've got four friends, a cardboard box cut in two, so you quad the TV right and you're playing Slappers only.
Speaker 4: GoldenEye No is odd job? Are are we not allowing odd job? Because that's an odd job?
Speaker 3: Because his head's too small?
Speaker 4: It was the cheat and you started with four friends, you might not have ended being friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I brought that up because in the break we were talking about the museum and the National Museum of Plays inductees, the nominees for Hall of Fame Video Games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do this every year. They put up like and they come up with three out of a lit of a bunch of games to see which one should be in the Hall of Fame. And I don't know if this list is kind of a little wacky.
Speaker 3: It's kind of all over the place, right gold What I was talking about was the Nintendo sixty four GoldenEye Double seven, by far, one of the best multiplayer games you could ever play in the history of multiplayer game?
Speaker 1: Did that ever come out ported to anything else?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's on the switch.
Speaker 4: Oh it's on the Xbox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it came a ported to the Xbox. It's on the switch. If you have Nintendo Online, go to their website, buy the wireless sixty four controllers, get four friends, get three friends plus yourself, and play the ever living crap out of that game.
Speaker 1: Is it Pierres President?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Is that the James Bond?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was his first one. And do you know the craziest thing about goldene which was for the long time the gold standard of shooters.
Speaker 2: The the.
Speaker 4: Game developers who made GoldenEye had never made a video game beforehand. And the reason and the reason why they like, there's so many like video games from movies that are just hot, steaming garbage, and this was such a gem because they looked at the movie and they were like, Okay, we cannot screw this up, so we are gonna go scene by scene and make that level by level. So they basically just like pourted the movie into a game, and it was for a for a first outing home run, brand slam cleared the basis and there was.
Speaker 3: It was rumored that they weren't even going to include the multiplayer on the original. Oh yes, they added that in last minute as like a well, let's just do it and see what happens. And it's it's by far one of the most incredible multiplayer games ever play.
Speaker 1: So you believe this one should be a member of the video name Now.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna quickly just go through the list. Right, Age Vampires, Solid Game, Angry Birds. Anybody who's played Anger Birds is had fun with that. Call Duty for Modern Warfare, Solid game, Atari Defender never played it, but it sounds good. Frogger. Everybody knows the the leap frogging game, Get Hit by Traffic, Old nye, the Golden tea handheld now.
Speaker 1: That played it? That was a golf game, right is a golf game?
Speaker 3: I mean, who hasn't played at least people my age or Andy's age right in the bar?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yep, right.
Speaker 3: Spending six bucks on four holes of game.
Speaker 1: I remember the Arcade one. There was a big round ball and you'd have to hit it really fast to you know, take your golf shot. And yeah, never.
Speaker 3: Harvest Moon, which this one, based on the picture, looks like the Superintendo version instead of the sixty four version. The sixty four version is one of the games I can clearly remember being the first game I ever fell asleep playing mattel Football Handheld, which I believe Matt said in the Breaking add one.
Speaker 4: Of these I did, Oh my god, that that handheld was vastly older than I was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was nineteen seventy seven that came out. I remember that, yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Then you get into the NBA two K series, which I'm not a basketball fan, but I've been told that the NBA two K series is just awesome. Another one of my favorite multiplayer games Quake, oh yeah, which is just I feel like that's kind of this was a standard for multiplayer for computer players back in the day.
Speaker 1: Was that ID software that put that one out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Quake put out ID and Quake and Unreal Tournament were some of the first games that actually basically gave birth to what we now consider the Electronic Sports League. Oh yeah, they were some of the first, like actual had competitions, get money, had tournaments, professional players like that one really changed the game.
Speaker 3: And then the last one on the list. I grew up when these came out. I had one. I probably still have it somewhere in my house. Tamagotchi's it was the little pet you had to keep alive. You had and feed it and stuff, and if you had it at school and they got caught with it, they would take it away from you and they would give it back to you the next day and your pet would be dead. You'd feel sad. Yeah, So I don't know that from.
Speaker 4: Because the Big Three it was Tamagotchi's Nano Pets and Digimon Digitmon. Yeah, though those were the big thory and Digimon was different from them all because you could click them together and make them fight. Oh and a couple of years back they actually re released those and Lee and I were at Game Stop and saw them and just like looked at each other and had one of those immediate silent conversations of like, are are we doing this all? We're doing this and we still have our new Digimon.
Speaker 1: Well, only three can be inducted, definitely, GoldenEye, Double seven. What else I think Quake should be part of that?
Speaker 3: I don't know. You got to look at it not just from like, okay, I enjoyed these games, but from like a culture phenomenon. Right, Tomagachi's took over everything. Everybody had one that it's like they feel like Tomagachi.
Speaker 2: Will go in.
Speaker 3: And then Angry Birds just because it was like one of the first mobile games that really took off.
Speaker 1: Everybody played those.
Speaker 3: Well, it spawned a whole franchise. Everybody played it a movie. So I think it'll be Angry Birds, Tamagotchi, and probably GoldenEye.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to form the dissenting opinion, all right. Age of Empires changed what a real time strategy game could be.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 4: They came out in ninety seven and it's the main competitor at that time. Tage of Empires was the Command and Conquer series and COMM I went back recently and replayed C and C remastered. It's all situational, like, Okay, you've got build a couple of guys, you know, go do this, hopefully they survive. Go take on the force as a NOD because it was the it was the Brotherhood of NOD and the GDI, the Global Defense Initiative. I remember that Age of Empires one maybe not might not make it. Empires two has been the gold standard, the platinum level of what a real time strategy game could be the next one. I think Call of Duty for Modern Warfare. I remember queuing up outside of my game stop back when we did midnight releases and you can just have it automatically downloaded to your Xbox to get that and that game it came out when I was in college, and it took over every single dorm that I could conceivably go into.
Speaker 1: It certainly did not disappoint.
Speaker 4: It changed first person shooters. The Call of Duty control mapping is now what every single shooter game that comes out uses. True that control mapping is now the golden default. And Modern Warfare four because that was the first one where they brought it to the modern age. Previously to that, it was all World War Two and that was the first time where it's like you don't need health packs, you just need to get to cover for a minute and spawn. Now one of the greatest shooter framesranchises in the history of games, yep. And then you know, honestly, I'm gonna say, I'm gonna revise it. I'm gonna say Modern Warfare, Golden Eye and probably Froger.
Speaker 1: Froger, Oh, Froger, do you remember the Seinfeld episode where George. George had to replicate the Frogger game.
Speaker 3: Babe, do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: And he's like uh uh, and then they did the aerial view of it. Yes, But I mean, Froger was it was a cultural revolution and there were so many different versions of it. I remember playing it on the Atari and like that one like you got hit by the car and it wasn't just a frog splat. It was a frog splat. A little ambulance pulled up and loaded the Frogger into it and drove away.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: It was like, I don't know what you're gonna do for this frog. He's gone from three D to two D.
Speaker 1: But all right, listen, we gotta take another quick break. But those are the ones. You could see the list yourself by going to Museum of play dot org.
Speaker 3: Scroll down.
Speaker 1: You'll see the inductees and you'll see the past ones as well. I am hoping that Doom is in there, because if you got Quake in their Doom has to be in there. That was great.
Speaker 3: You might be earlier. I'm going back to the list. I think Doom's in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gotta be all right. We'll be back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Seanda Weird.
Speaker 4: And I'm Matt Jones. Feel free to shoot us a message on x at tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Dietrich Bader Batman and you're listening to TIK Talk Radio.
Speaker 4: We were just talking about inductees for the Video Game Hall of Fame. I have to ask you, guys, and I will give mine first, if you want, what is either your favorite game of all time or the game that had the biggest impact on your life. And while while I give you a minutes to think about that, mine is, it's actually a tie, and one of them is very divisive inside of a community. Okay, the first one is an old PS one game called The Legend of Dragoon, and it was the game that actually taught me that a game can truly tell a story with so much depth and emotion. And I see Sean pumping his fist in the air, so I'm not alone in this. That game sucked me into RPGs for the rest of my life, and the game I played not too long after that still my favorite final Fantasy game of all time. Final Fantasy eight.
Speaker 3: Matt mentioned one of it's not my favorite RBG, but it is. It was my brother's favorite, and he's collected. He actually has the three colored disc set.
Speaker 4: I still have mine.
Speaker 3: It's not easy to come across now, but my brother played that more than Idea. But that game is incredible. It's so so good. Shortly thereafter, in that same timeframe, there was a JRBG that came out called sube Codin oh is That is by far my favorite JRPG of all time. Suie Codin two is also very good. They just I just downloaded it last night. They remastered it and released it this past week.
Speaker 4: Oho.
Speaker 3: My brother literally sent me a Discord message last night saying, hey, just sent me a link with this remap. I immediately went and downloaded it on the switch right now. It plays so good on a handheld like I know. I have it on a PS one. I've played through it multiple times. I can go back to my original say files or are still on the memory card. But Suie Codin and Suie Coodin two are definitely my top two. Like JRPG all right.
Speaker 1: For me, I used to go to the arcades, so I remember playing games like Frogger Defender, some of those games Missile Command, which was less so the stand up arcades. But my first game on a computer was on an Apple two E called Emon Adventure.
Speaker 4: God I've played that.
Speaker 1: It was a text adventure that was my first game. It had no graphics in it. You were basically typing move left, you know, go go west, go, You run into this and what do you do? It was based on your responsive based on how you were. So to me, that would be an influential game that I certainly remember, and it's not as exciting as yours, but it was a lot of fun. Emon Adventure all right. That wraps up this week's show. We'd love to hear what yours are and the reason drop us a line tech guys at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 4: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean Weird, and I'm Matt Jones. Thanks for tuning in. We'll see you all next week.