Speaker 1: Hell. Everybody to the facilities of the iHeartMedia Megaplexis is Dick Gabriel. This is the statewide edition of the Big Blue Insiety. You've heard comments from Mark Pope and Kenny Brooks, and tonight we'll talk with Aaron Gershan of The Cat's Boss and our own Billy Ruttledge. Stay tuned. It's the statewide BBI Border to Border. It is the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel, Aaron Gershan of The Cats Boss, Billy Rutledge, our UK network producer, and you hear him on some of these same radio stations every morning. Following the Leech report, Aaron was in Tuscaloosa, yep. And at what point did you say to yourself, I don't think they can get this one, because man, they were in it.
Speaker 2: They were in it, but it was probably how they finished the first half. If we're being honest, you're up twelve with nine minutes to go in that half, you're feeling really good. And Alabama look, even when Kentucky was ut full strength, we saw their tough matchup with how fast they play, they're simply more athletic. They're coming off a Final four and Kentucky's got a brand new ross. That's to be expected. So you know, Kentucky goes down seven and a half after they were up twelve seven minutes earlier. They only scored ten points in the last ten minutes of the first half against the worst defensive team in the SEC. As far as scoring goes, you kind of felt like things were a little bleak, but they did to their credit, they kept fighting and clawing. They were I think they cut it the three with ten or so minutes left and they kind of just ran out of gas. But look, Mark Pope was right, Kentucky's not a program that's going to celebrate moral victories. And there were some missed opportunities in this game, like when Alabama came out really slow in the second half, you couldn't get anything to fall. So there's still things that frustrate you with this loss. But to go in there with your two lead guards down and against the number four team in the country that beat you at full strength in their house and put up that type of effort, I think you got to be, in hindsight, pretty pleased with that. If you're a Kentucky faner Mark Pope.
Speaker 1: Your two point guards are down, your best shooting guard is down, yep, and your best all around offensive player from the back court is largely ineffective. Yo, what you're looking at in that game in hindsight, and obviously Away played but four of your top seven guys basically, I know.
Speaker 2: It was in foul trouble, so I didn't see what his final minute count was. He fell out like six minutes later. So even yeah, like you said, they were basically down four bodies in the players. Yeah, on the road at the number four team in the country, and it was great to see Andrew Carr looking himself. Remember here when Carr was dealing with the back injury, Grant Nelson kicked his butt and it was the other way around. So there, Look, there were some good signs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty two minutes and two points for Away in that game, one to nine from the field. If he just gives somewhat of a normal effort. I mean the Kentucky's right in that game, So I mean there are reasons to be encouraged. Another one is some of the player getting off of guys that are normally should be on the bench, like Travis Parry's great. I mean, he didn't have the best shooting night from three. But I mean I thought he played with energy and effort and a couple times he should have been called over the foul but didn't. Colin Chandler or somebody who. I didn't know if he would have a lot of minutes on this year's team, but over the last couple of games, he's proven himself a little bit. Brandon Garrison is the one for me. Yeah, when he comes in and Amaro's out, a nervous makes me nervous. He there's usually one moment in the game where he tries to go coast to coast.
Speaker 2: Brandon Garrison time and.
Speaker 3: So and Mari has just been so good. He's improved so much that.
Speaker 2: Garrison gets for me.
Speaker 1: It's a little lack of days ago with even handoffs, passes, but it just seems like every once in a while it's like.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? He tries to do too much a little bit. I mean, he's probably, but you know, I got to get him a little slack because somehow in the year his assistant turned it over. He shows fifty four to thirty two at center. That's pretty good, damn good. So he gets I think sometimes it gets a little bit of a bad rap, But it's the selfish moments with him that even in the I think there was a shot against Vandy where there are still twelve seconds on the clay, you take this step back fifteen firs. Oh, like you can't have those and like Billy you said, the coast to coast stuff can't happen, and defensively is a liability right now. He's not a great rebounder getting despite his size. But yeah, I'm with you. When he comes in the game, you're holding your breath, and especially because of Maari Williams has been that good and you want to keep him on the floor. But you know, for fans who are calling in and they're like, oh, he's got to play thirty five minutes, he's seven foot two sixty, like, that's a really hard ask.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so glad you brought that up because I was going to ask both of you guys. What was your comment. Billy, I'm not sure if you were able to guess. You're running the board producing answer and calls. But when Pope talked about tonight again and he's mentioned this many times, why essentially he doesn't play the rotation. In fact, it was when somebody called an answer, you're going to tighten a rotation and he basically said no, but he explained it the way he's explained it all year, and that is and I thought this was really interesting to me and I'm going to start watching this more. When he talked about it in possessions, there aren't lulls when they have the ball, and I started thinking about but boy, he's right, and maybe him thinking too much about cal Perry's team last year when the ball would stick. But I mean, just your average team can rest a little bit on offense.
Speaker 2: They don't do that, right, And yeah, look he almost like a hockey ship, right, And his point was with Amari specifically, was we yes, we're clearly more effective with him on the floor, but we're equally equally as ineffective without him on the floor than when he's overextended. So that was kind of the point he was making. And look, ideal world, Yes, you're getting thirty plus minutes out of him, but again, with what you just said about the offense, they're always moving and this dude is seven foot two sixty two. That's that's a hard, hard ask. And Brandon Garrison was a McDonald's All American just two years ago. It's in there somewhere, and they got it. They got in spurts like the Duke game. He played a great game at that one. Even earlier in SEC play, I think of South Carolina had a really strong game. Uh, they got to get that out of him somehow, or Ghost Small and Andrew Carr's playing really well, but man, it's a gauntlin in the SEC. So even when he's putting in minutes, it's it's it's physicality and and he's wearing down and and it's a lot of it is him initiating the offense and not really.
Speaker 3: The drop off on Amar Amari Amari. Yeah, when Garrison comes in that you just see that drop off. And that's why you know Amar.
Speaker 2: How do you think he's going to handle a Jedi Broom on Saturday when Lamar needs a break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that might be tough as well.
Speaker 2: But Broom's a guy can step. I need to put car on him and see if he can do anything.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: One thing I think of though, is the NCAA tournament has more commercial breaks, right, more chances for you to break more, but longer longer. Do you think that could play a factor in Amari playing more minutes in the because Garrison cannot be putting in fifteen minutes a game. I don't think. I think he's got to go down more to ten well.
Speaker 2: And that I don't think you're going to see that guy friand I just I want to think a bandon what he I don't think he's going to abandon him. The only thing I can think of, and he's done it a little bit, is play small and Andrew Carr, now that he's healthy, do you stick him at the five instead and burning Garrison? With how he's struggling, You just sit him, And I think that might be something that's matchup based. I think you know, against LSU and Oklahoma, you're gonna try to get Garrison going. Maybe against Auburn. If against really tight and Omar he needs a break, you go Car there. But also Cars coming off a back injury, you don't necessarily want to overextend him either. I think he played twenty eight minutes on Saturday, which is the most he's played in a while, and he looked great. Yeah, but it's a tricky predicament. That's how he built this front court.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned matchups, And immediately, Billy, when you talk about Garrison, my mind immediately went to the NCAA tournament because I think Kentucky's going to be one of most teams that have a shot at winning a couple of games where it's all gonna come down to the bracketing, who's in your bracket, what are your matchups? You know, they may find themselves with teams where Garrison can play and they can absorb some of his mistakes, you know, especially if he's not.
Speaker 2: Playing like a Vanderbilt who's really small, like as him like that, Yeah, somebody like that.
Speaker 1: So and there's so much basketball to be played between now and then they can figure it out at least get better.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, And speaking of small teams, I think it was Andrew Carr that played so well versus Vandy.
Speaker 2: Wasn't He was excellent? Yeah, and then he was excellent again.
Speaker 3: So it's a very very physical and big Alibamon boy. They needed him, and you kind of didn't know which way that was going to go. With back pain. It was is he ever going to be himself? And he looked like the guy that was playing major minutes in the beginning of the year, So.
Speaker 2: I'm shot better than he has all year.
Speaker 3: No, I want to jinx it, but man, that's a huge key. But you know when Aley Almore, Almanor has a night like he's had over the it feels like two of the last three games, he's just kind of disappeared. But you can live with that. When Andrew Carr's playing that well.
Speaker 1: He was, Well that's why because he cars getting Almanor's minutes.
Speaker 3: Well, that too, but he has to have more productive minutes, like well, sure he's going ten minutes and registering one shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think he's a guy who needs to be in the game a little bit longer to get to it's just not much of a defender.
Speaker 2: That's the problem with them. What what's the term for the zero stat line across the trillion club? He was the shot attempt was the only stat he put on the sheet against Alabama, the one to three in the corner, which is his spot too, and he just missed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, you can look at the Alabama game as and I know they don't want a moral victory. Was it a step forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think when you talk about that the younger guys, right, when you talk about Perry, Noah Chandler. Anytime they're out there on the floor like this and Chandler knocking the rust off and the guy hadn't played basketball, really played basketball in two years. I think he's better, a little bit better athletically than both Noah and Perry. They're better shooters than he is. At least they've shown it, so it gives Pope a lot of options.
Speaker 2: That was such an it for Perry specifically. I know struggled. I think you shout, what was it? One for seven from three? Yeah, but the fact he got in the lane against the again. Alabama is a big team, like even the Jared Stevenson who's a kinds of place of the three for them, but guard some guards. He's six eleven. They just got big dude after big dude, and he's going in the lane, unafraid and getting contact, drawing a valley to an one, no turnovers in such a fast paced game. That was really an encouraging night for him. That was the one I was like, Okay, you can really build off this, especially God forbid La Momp. Butler doesn't come back. I think he is going to come back and give it a go soon. But that was very very encouraging, specifically with Perry on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Could Oklahoma be a trap game?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean this they're on the bubble right now, like this would be a huge win to get him into the NCAA TORONMA.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And they do some things that I'm pulling up the stats in front of me. They do some things that Kentucky doesn't handle well, and that's they shoot really well. They're they're forward Jaalen Moore, who's six' seven is a thirty eight percent three. Shooter they have two, guards including one who was teammates With Kobe braa last year At. Oklahoma one's a forty three eight and one's a forty four percent point four shooter from three at a high. Volume and then then they have This Jeremiah fears freshman who doesn't shoot it at a great, clip but he's coming off a twenty seven and ten game in points and assists against The Mississippi. State and like you, Said, billy they're fighting for THEIR ncaa tournament. Lives they went thirteen and zero non, conference Beat, michigan they Beat. Louisville, uh there's another big win in there that's blanking. Me but and then THE sec play has been, tough but they just got a big win Over Mississippi state and they're looking for another one to kind of solidify their.
Speaker 3: Bid, yeah but it's the otakea away revenge.
Speaker 2: Camp it is the oh take away revenge. Game and Also oklahoma by far the worst rebounding team in THE, sec.
Speaker 1: Although top pointed out that only ONE i think kid on ou roster played with OH i.
Speaker 2: Fact checked him on that he's, right he's. Wrong, yeah well not usually the, case but it's actually like it's only like four scholarship, guys but it's like six or seven, total so there's a couple.
Speaker 1: Guys and Then garrison played it Out Glahoma, state.
Speaker 2: Yep and Then, JACKSON i know he's probably not going to, play but he's from me To. Oklahoma and then last year B yu obviously played At oklahoma and lost as a rank. Team oh, wait didn't do much in that, game but Clearly oklahoma Gave Mark pope and his staff. Fits it was a pretty lopsided lost eighty two sixty.
Speaker 1: Four you, know in a backhanded, WAY i think the fact that he's having to lean on or is able to lean on these. Freshmen maybe that works in his favor when it comes to whether or not this is a trap, game because they're going they got to be going into all these.
Speaker 2: Games wide, eyed, buddy you know WHAT i? Mean?
Speaker 3: Sure, Sure and you Know Colin chandler And Travis perry playing in those positions allows the other guys to stay in the position they're most comfortable.
Speaker 2: In good.
Speaker 3: Point if you want to look towards the. Future they Asked Mark pope tonight how many freshmen he's going to take on a. Roster he said about one to. Three but the most important thing is. Continuity and if you're going to get multiple, players he got three like like that and and like, Those, yeah like freshmen that could come back like. That that makes next year's roster even more, so maybe more of the method to the.
Speaker 2: Madness, Wellney he Referenced Rick bettino's.
Speaker 1: COMMENT i was gonna bring that up with you guys When rick, said we're not even looking at, freshmen we're not even looking at highest signing high. School and of course With, rick you know you sort of take. It he meant it when he said, it how many time about you guys weren't? Around you, KNOW i can't tell you how many times there was A patino comment that completely reversed an earlier statement or. Position, well he meant it when he said, it you, know so he might have meant it when he said, It BUT i wouldn't be surprised if he signed one or two. Freshmen you can't just keep going to the portal every. YEAR i think it was making a, point BUT i think if you're A kentucky and you can sign kids who are the caliber of the kids that are. Signing and Now aaron AND i were talking about this coming, up AND i know you've talked about it, Before, billy you don't have to worry quite as much with a kid going to THE nba unless he's a lottery pick and then you get into some crazy, money right because there are kids who can make any deals at. Match would he get in the first round incredibly of THE Nba? Draft, Absolutely and that's.
Speaker 2: Why, YEAH i think that's WHY i would, say, you oh, way ultimately ultimately be back and that that's.
Speaker 3: Huge, yeah he's got another, year he sure.
Speaker 2: Does. Wow, Yeah But Rick patino just he. Bends he had a comment on today About Kadari, richman WHO'S i think they're leading scorer up, there and he, says it's the most Hurt i've ever had a. Player uh before in my coaching. Career he had a guy snap his leg in the nca tournament if you remember, It kevin who Could, yeah but that was one. INJURY i. Know but how has he been injured a lot of? Time, no he, said he's currently the most injured he's ever had a. Player he's having the most serious injury he's had as.
Speaker 3: A Coach Florida state.
Speaker 2: Players that's What i'm trying to. Say he's likes to Be Rick patino bends the truth little they, will and they went very hard After Boogie flann after he decommitted From kentucky to so, yes why. Not i'm just, saying, no Freshman john's rocking right.
Speaker 3: NOW i, mean that looks like a fun. Environment Nason Square garden non contact injury here for This florida, Sake it does not look.
Speaker 2: Good, gosh oh, no the. Garden, Yeah Buddy garden's rocking right. Now it really.
Speaker 1: Is although they Beat yukon in their own, gym didn't they know?
Speaker 2: That? Yeah because they did back because they HAD.
Speaker 1: I was watching one game where they did in their own.
Speaker 2: Gym, yeah they did player game recently in their Own. Yeah but, Yeah yukon was at The garden because they had That Duke illinois game Where duke just Slaughtered hillis On saturday and quick turn Around sunday Of Saint John's, Ukon.
Speaker 1: Well and you knew that was going to, happen and the Moment betino signed a contract With Saint, john's back to The, garden you.
Speaker 2: Know but you, know it's like When Kim molki was.
Speaker 1: Trying to, say you know that uk ought to be playing womens. Up you, know what good does it do if nobody shows? Up OR i shouldn't say, that if small.
Speaker 2: Crowds you, know maybe she just didn't like that it was actually a home court advantage Usually i'm To kentucky and it wasn't this. Year it WAS i don't, know, WELL i think.
Speaker 1: She saw it perhaps as though and what DO i, know but like it was some kind of slight to the women's, program AND i, TWEETED i think it's a. COMPLIMENT i wouldn't afraid to tweet. THIS i have covered this program, Forever. OKAY i have never privately or publicly had a women's coach tell, me, MAN i wish we were playing in Rupp. Arena i've had coaches tell me, honestly we would rather stay in the.
Speaker 2: Coliseum. YEAH i actually think it's a. Compliment you have a whole building that they just renovate and it looks incredible and if you haven't been, there check it. Out that's dedicated to women's, sports the women's, basketblay, volleyball. Gymnastics like so women's. Sports and you.
Speaker 1: Bring a recruit, in this is. Ours, yeah we don't share with the. Men, yeah this is. Ours and uh WHEN i was, there okay telling my age my first two, years, uh the men's, varsity well everybody the varsity team played there my FIRST uk basketball games for a couple of, years or in The Memorial, coliseum and let me tell you something eleven five hundred back then before they, renovated and they've renovated it three. Times and you talk about a home court. Advantage there were opposing players who would tell us, man and of course they had just been. Beaten we felt like fans could reach out and touch.
Speaker 2: Us well really they, couldn't but it felt that. Way that's why there's all this discourse now about HOW rup And Thompson bowling there was environment stink and then you go To auburn or you go To Ole miss when they're, rocking or someone like those smaller ten thousand person. Gym you know Why Thompson bowling was built and built the way it was, built? Right do you know?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: No is it like a sound echo chamber and.
Speaker 2: Copyrup the copy. Rup. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow their whole thing, was we want to build something as good or even better than Rupp, arena and they. DID i can't, say but it's. Bigger but after a few years of nobody in the top, sections that's when they put the curtain. Up now you've been to several games there when it's when.
Speaker 2: It's, full, absolutely but for years there's a curtain up there like there can be In, repperena either for concerts or for for smaller. Games The Moody center does it with the big screens down In.
Speaker 3: Austin but so, hypothetically if if the women's team got a full crowd AT, rup you still wouldn't think it's a better home environment Than memorial if.
Speaker 1: They consistently but, see could they could they fill that? Place could even fill the lower bowl?
Speaker 2: Consistently? Right now and even if the but the other thing.
Speaker 1: Too is you, know you've got to create the need for. It you got to create people that are turned away consistently At Memorial.
Speaker 2: College. Team why do you Think repperena was built Because.
Speaker 1: Memorials, yeah they doubled, it and believe it or, not, NOW i wouldn't hear when it. Happened when they opened the, Coliseum Adolph rupp didn't think they'd fill it because they played across the street At Dinkey Little alumni like, coliseum And Adolf rupp was, like we're never going to fill this. Place but that's also sadly why when he asked for permission in nineteen sixty two to leave THE sec so they could recruit black, players the board members are, like, well we wouldn't be able to fill the coliseum because TRADITIONAL lesseec opponents won't come. Here who's going to come here and play? Us it'll become a white. Elephant we won't be able to fill the, place which was. Lame but, YEAH i mean it's applying to man. Brother he got on one on, One.
Speaker 3: Well we got to get back to playing at least one men's game At memorial each, year just One. DICK i, KNOW i know it'd be tough TO i. GUESS i, mean does do it a preseason just do it for the students student only? GAME i mean it would have to be like A TEXAS a and m.
Speaker 2: Commerce, okay no. Conference who's going to tell the season ticket? Holder, Well i'm, sorry are you going to volunteer for?
Speaker 1: Them?
Speaker 3: Sorry but you're handling your sweater vests and not stand up is going to be rocking standing up the entire yet your hand?
Speaker 1: Up if you'll volunteer to tell the season ticket holders who are supplying the nil money as, well you're gonna take on that.
Speaker 3: Job, No i'll let the k that's their.
Speaker 2: Job they'll be thrilled to that's their.
Speaker 1: Job, yeah, hey, Look i'd be all for. It and when they played the N I t, game were you here for?
Speaker 2: You back for?
Speaker 1: That when The gillispie team played the N I t game in the, coliseum.
Speaker 2: Nobody happened THAN i. Was, man it was. Great but you, Know i'm with you talking about that happening two years ago until they went on a.
Speaker 1: Run, yeah exhibition gave me five with me with?
Speaker 2: Me they did it with the blue and white this. YEAR i. DON'T i. DON'T i wasn't, there SO i don't know how it turned. Out we were In. Florida but we'll step, back come, back talk more.
Speaker 1: Basketball we're gonna throw a little football in the second half hour as, well Because aaron AND i get to meet some of the players. Tomorrow back in a. Minute you on a state WIDE bbi quick one here as we head to the bottom of the, Hour dick Gabriel are and Ger Sean Billy. Rutledge you were talking on The Leach report earlier, today Mister, SHAWN i don't know if you had one ear on it while you were.
Speaker 3: Preparing a little celebrity over there on The Leach report.
Speaker 2: About that and get it.
Speaker 1: Done our Buddy Darryl, bird longtime friend of, mine your, boss believes he believes that if you've got the guys coming off, injury just save him for the. Tournament, Nope and you today, SAID i Love, darryl but.
Speaker 2: They need they need. Reps like. You don't want their first game back in a month to be THE ncaa tournament with everything on the. LINE i, think at the bare, minimum hav them ready for THE sec, tournament but that only might be one. Game, uh to me ideal, world they're back for the last two or three games of the regular. SEASON i just. DON'T i don't know how you throw them in without playing basketball for a, month even if they're playing a fourteen high point or something like. That, like you just. Can't to me that that's just not, practical it's not.
Speaker 1: SMART i will be pleasantly surprised If robinson comes back at.
Speaker 2: All oh, really, YEAH i think Maybe butler comes. BACK i will Say robinson had the big cast off At, alabama so that was. INTERESTING i Think butler's back IF i had IF i were a betting, man Which i'm not BECAUSE i always, Lose he's Back saturday Against. Auburn robinson Or. Butler butler Or, ROBINSON i have NO i don't have A i think he'll be. Back we don't know when your thoughts in thirty.
Speaker 1: Seconds on saving your players or playing.
Speaker 3: HIM i think it kind of depends on the player and the. Injury, HONESTLY i Think, Butler i'd throw him back in there even if he wasn't played a game. Before robinson with the wrist issue on his shooting, HAND i think that's much more of A i want to see you knock off a little rust BEFORE i put you back out. There, LAMAN i just need you to stay in front of your.
Speaker 2: Guy that's, True that's that IS i agree with.
Speaker 1: That would come, In, andy wouldn't it more to come on The Stay? Wide Bbi Roun pikeville To, Paduca it is The Big Blue, Insider Dick gabrielle And gershan to the Cast Pause Billy, rutledge OUR uk network producer and co Host billy and The dude every morning on most of these same, stations talking About kentucky. Basketball, Tomorrow aaron AND i get a chance to meet some of the new football. Casts we'll talk about that coming up a little bit later, on but there's still more basketball to chop. Up let's say That Mark pope is still juggling injured players going into postseason. Play and let me back that up by saying people are upset that he's not in a on the mid season list or finalist For coach of The. Year and in all, fairness we all predicted a five hundred season in THE sec and that's what we're. Seeing but, nobody, right nobody expected a whole slew of quad one. WINS i, mean one of the most impressive thank you good. Word one of the most impressive records when it comes To quad one wins In america and yet games they never should have.
Speaker 2: Lost it's it's kind of and you look At Mark pope AT byu last, year it's kind of, similar right where they went To lawrence When kansas was rolling and killed, them killed. Them they lost At, oklahoma who. Stunk they lost To Oklahoma, state lost lost in the first, round The Big twelve AND. NCA i don't know about The Big. TWELVE i think they might have won a game there but lost To. Decayane we were In pittsburgh and everyone's going nuts While creighton And akron are, playing and you look up THE, Tv oh, wow De kaine's about to win down the road and they're the host. Site so uh. Yeah it's just it's kind of weird how that's. Gone AND i don't know if it's A i think it's just there's more to it than unranked versus. RANKED i think there's some matchup. Things the injuries kind of like The texas kind of throw out the games with the injuries out the, window but Like, georgia the what's another? One early when they were healthy and yet they Beat tennessee.
Speaker 1: Twice in both games they were short.
Speaker 2: Handed, Yeah clems it. Comes it's pretty good, Though Ohio state is more. So that was Just dick AND i were. There it was. TERRIBLE i feel like there's ANOTHER sec One i'm. Missing but, Regardless, vandy thank. You, yeah it's it's just been. Though Andrew carr was out for that, too so it's just, yeah they got to win that. Game so it's just been a weird. Year but look they. Haven't would it surprise anyone around here if they lose tomorrow Or, wednesday excuse, me At oklahoma and then go Beat auburn On saturday with how this, YEAR.
Speaker 1: I would be, YEAH i actually for this, one, yes.
Speaker 2: Just because of How i'm telling you That auburn Just, oklahoma But, Auburn i'm Just i'm playing. Devils they've looked. Mortal you're. Right They arkansas had him on the rope In auburn just a couple of games of The florida is really, good but they lost To florida and Then georgia had them on the Rope, Saturday georgia In, auburn Yep Old kentucky At reperina where they, honestly outside of the they've. Played outside of The arkansas, game they've because they Lost alabama in a really good. Game they've played excellent At Rep. Aina and if they have At Momp butler back and you can keep A mari in the, game maybe a little bit to bang Around Jani. BROOM i don't. Know broom never plays the ball Against kentucky, either just saying.
Speaker 3: There's definitely an adjustment being a transfer player and then joining THE sec this, year there's no. Doubt BUT i wouldn't say this team isn't ready for the spotlight or big games because they beat teams Like duke And gonzaga early In florida And, florida so, LIKE i, mean they had it clicking and rolling against some of the best. Teams but then you, know injuries come and you know you have to change your plan of, attack and it's more about you, know everybody's got a plan until you get punched in the face and you just kind of have to. Adapt and and you, know let's be, Honest Mark pope doesn't have a win in THE Ncaa tournament this. YEAR i, mean there's still some questions that need to be, answered and you, know despite all of, THAT i think Any kentucky fan they have to be excited about what they've.
Speaker 1: Seen If kentucky can somehow remain a three seed or something that, high which it has, been, yes then they've got a real. Shot AND i Know i'm skipping ahead to the nca. Tournament but if there's because of the injuries and they don't win enough games to hang on to, that let's say they're a five or six or, something obviously their matchup gets a lot. Tougher and as we, know the five versus twelve has been historically tough and six eleven's gotten.
Speaker 2: Tougher, yeah they gotta win these two games that they should. Win, yes you. Gotta it's A quad, one but it's Like quad ONE b Against oklahoma that think their fiftieth in the. Net auburn'd be great if you. Won who knows gotta BEAT lc? WOULD i think It's quad? Two? Now it Was quad three recently here at home On senior. Night and then you go To. Missoo that's another really tough, one but tough, man but they just lost At. Arkansas, yeah and let's say that happens and you're playing On wednesday at THE sec. Tournament you'll have to go five games in five, days the best conference of all time in college, Basketball summer saying you have to Play auburn on the, thirteen and my, brothers you're.
Speaker 3: Shorthanded, yeah that's why you gotta Y pulpe said fatigue was a. Factor, sure, yeah what it would be after?
Speaker 2: That, well AND i think thanks the.
Speaker 1: Format now that takes us back to why his player rotation is what it, is because he demands them to play hard Like. Patino, uh not quite the same way and didn't have the same kind of. Depth but you're not going to see thirty five minutes From Amari Amari. Williams here's another good question that came up that it was good because it was just interesting.
Speaker 2: AND i knew exactly what he was going to.
Speaker 1: Say somebody called the show tonight wanting to, know are you going to start coaching defense at any point the Way Rick patino did or?
Speaker 2: Does and you.
Speaker 1: Knew right away the answers, no because, look there's nobody who can coach that way Except Rick, patino and Only Rick patino can be Like Rick, tino you. Know. Uh and if you Remember Sean woods telling me and there was reason for this that he felt Like rick had softened up a little.
Speaker 2: Bit and this goes back to believe it or.
Speaker 1: Not the Weekend Billy gillespie's and m team won a couple of games here in lexing it h and people thinking they Be, louisville and people to this day believe That Mitch barnard sat there courtside and watched that game and, said By, god that's my.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 1: Uh Mitch barnard wasn't even in the, building but it just added To billy's rep and his. Resume long story, anyhow in the locker room After louisville's win Over, STANFORD, Uh sean went back to say hey To, patino who didn't recognize him at, first, uh OR i guess his mind was. Elsewhere he just you, know took him a. Second AND i had shaved my beard off not long prior and people still didn't know. Me But patino recognized, me which which amazed. Me, anyhow in the locker room there was A louisville player and this is after a win across the room mill they coach what times the bus, leave And sean. Ducked sean flinched because he knew that player was going to be shredded by the head coach for not knowing what time the bus was gonna, leave Because sewn had lived that. Right Seawan woods was a guy who had made a bad play in a game on the, road and as they walked in the locker, room just As woods walked in and set it, In patino walked, in took his shoe off and threw it at him across the, room missed him and hit a locker. Boom but that Was Rick patino, Then So shawn's, like, oh this poor kid's gonna get, it And patina said about fifteen minutes And sean's, like, WHOA i see you, know but if you watched the, series have you seen any of that or at least the clips of What Red storm? Rising, yeah he sets records for THE f bomb or so people, Think i'm sure he talked to that.
Speaker 2: Passion so that's why you.
Speaker 1: Know AND i can tell you this from producing the documentary on the ninety, sixteen And pope was a big part of that telling stories And Cameron mills, especially they were scared to death Of Rick. Patino Mark pope cannot coach in a manner that ultimately leads to his players being terrified of, HIM i mean terrified of. Him that's not who he. Is and to get that kind of, passion to use your, word billy out Of Defender's you got.
Speaker 2: To coach the Way patino does and Only patino can do.
Speaker 1: That somebody else may be out there doing, it but not as well or as visibly as he.
Speaker 2: Is that's.
Speaker 3: Interest you, know you don't see a lot of full court press, either feel Like patino was doing. That you didn't do it, Now, yeah who doesn't?
Speaker 1: Know not the way he did it. Here he had the white press and he had a black. Press the white press was when he denied the, ball they didn't guard the. Passer the black press they. Did but they also had the athletes, right they were nine deep OF nba.
Speaker 2: Players it's.
Speaker 3: AMAZING i, mean the whole college basketball world wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole there for a, while and he's revitalized himself and now he's on top of the sport. AGAIN i did find an Interesting pope's comments today about when you can yell at the, officials like there's a timing to, it and you, know you can take it up to a level and then you need to kind of turn, away and they won't not all the times if your back is turned to the, official they won't necessarily call. Something they wait until they get into your. Face ahab the what was? It the walk down?
Speaker 2: That what was? That dick had the ego ego? Trip that's ALL i. Got ego.
Speaker 3: Trip you gotta find the guy for something like, that.
Speaker 2: Right there should be something it. Was it stopped like the whole crowd was, booing AND i guess they thought Like pope was because they were like to you them up to m. Up they Thought pope was holding up the game very. Well ogle was holding up the.
Speaker 1: Game, Yeah I'm i'm again as sympathetic to officials as anybody you'll ever, hear read or see on the.
Speaker 2: Air but that's.
Speaker 1: Bogus you, know a supervisor should have had a serious conversation with him and then after the game and then you, know maybe you don't assign him to a.
Speaker 2: TOURNAMENT i don't, know, yep do. That and then he was he went and again another reminder of the fans separate like THE. Sec there's no BASKETBALL sec officials. OFFICIATE i have tweeted that when people TAG sec, OFFICIATING i just want to pull my hair, Out But Terry. Hogles my point is he went into The Indiana purdue game there in The Big, ten by the, way, folks and he had a terrible game there, Too so it have been a bad. Weekend we were talking in the.
Speaker 1: Break about A Saint john's game and it might have Been Saint John's villanova or THE u.
Speaker 2: Shows, yes he did The Yukon Saint john's game up in stores a few weeks. Ago that's. It, yeah it's, like come, on, people it's not let's see.
Speaker 1: It it used to be that, way AND i get, it but for years and years it's.
Speaker 2: Not it's not. Anymore it's.
Speaker 1: Not and it used to be that they played different. Styles, yes you know The Big ten was more, physical and that might still be the. Case but in terms of how officials are assigned, now how they get from conference a, conference you, know that's a different. Story but you AND i went To Doug hampton's house For. Pizzah it's both.
Speaker 2: His sons are.
Speaker 1: Officials both his sons worked THE, sec Worked big. TWELVE i don't know if they worked A big, ten BUT i know his younger, Son, brent who's a very good well they both are worked a and m, games and When kentucky Signed Billy, Gillespie brent told his, dad here's what to, expect you.
Speaker 2: Know, well and his dad is the, guy folks who Sits you see him ON.
Speaker 1: Tv he's the guy when the officials go to look at the, Replay, doug the guy on the right side of your screen with a headset on and, uh he is the timeout. Coordinator so he sits there and you, know he doesn't have anything to do with the with the replays except that he talks to the truck about when they're. Ready but he also listens in on the conversations and.
Speaker 2: He knows a. Lot, well you AND i talk to him about.
Speaker 1: That he knows a lot of the officials for that.
Speaker 3: Reason, yeah, Yeah, well ninety percent of these referees must be, overworked Done, dick because there's been some terrible. Calls they do six games a.
Speaker 2: Week worked they, are you.
Speaker 3: Know pope said he had never seen a call overturned due to arguing that.
Speaker 2: Love that's a great time and also history of.
Speaker 1: Basketball he kept, saying he set it up so well it goes in the history of. BASKETBALL i have never seen Him, like what's he going to? Say and then he's.
Speaker 3: Right, well it made me think of Like Mark, stoops Because stoops is famous for kind.
Speaker 2: Of going, out so he's like cows more than.
Speaker 3: Kinda and and.
Speaker 1: He's not nearly as Bad stoops as he was when he got.
Speaker 3: Here and and this is something we've got to Ask doug because it's human. NATURE i, mean you're gonna be. Unbiased but if a guy's screaming at you the entire, game isn't there a part of you, that's you, know wants to get back at him a little? Bit?
Speaker 1: Now WHEN i WHEN i worked, baseball, no the answer.
Speaker 3: You don't think, that doesn't that you think that there's some there's gotta be some ego in the. Yelling there's.
Speaker 2: Ego but it's like but and then you, know AND i have.
Speaker 1: Argued my brother's been an official for fifty. Years he was telling me about a play like we were talking about, baseball AND i said something about you know HOW i thought this was tough or you, know.
Speaker 2: How do you call this or?
Speaker 1: That at one point he, said and if the kid does, this does, that and doesn't try to show me, Up i'm, like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa Whoa when did this become about you showing me. Up come, on, man you, know BUT i just saw a clip on on the on the The instagram. FEED i guess it was from a spring. Game you might have seen this where there was a foul. Ball catcher puts his mid out waiting for last, year and then and then for whatever, reason pulls his mid back and the empire drops the ball and it hits the ground and immediately throws him out.
Speaker 2: Of a spring training. Game and they were they were the catcher and the manager were all, like what what are you doing up through the. Catcher, yes because.
Speaker 1: He thought he was a miscommunity showed.
Speaker 2: Him up over a.
Speaker 1: Miscommunication, yeah so there are guys who get a little too.
Speaker 2: SENSITIVE i think that's a.
Speaker 3: THING i think coaches could be, like now look for this hook and. Hold you, know it's happening every single time down the. Floor that could, help you, know get a favorable. Call but like cal and how he would just beat these officials.
Speaker 2: From the first minute of the, GAME i.
Speaker 3: Think officials hurt.
Speaker 2: Him, well, yeah that's what point.
Speaker 3: Is THERE'S i think that has to play a factor absolutely and.
Speaker 1: Negatively, WELL i don't think they said about screwing, Them.
Speaker 3: No, no, no but like over a course of a game and you guys get into it many, TIMES i think that's just a human.
Speaker 2: ELEMENT i agree to it.
Speaker 1: All, WELL i can tell you and games THAT i CALLED i never said to, Myself i'm gonna stick it to this guy because he's been giving me a hard time. Myself if he says one more, word he's, going you, know.
Speaker 3: He'd be a better ref THAN. I then, here it'd be just personal agenda drift out.
Speaker 1: There you wouldn't last for Uh, no but YOU'RE i, mean you're right about Ego.
Speaker 2: Aaron, yeah you, Know oh that that's what all the terror.
Speaker 1: TERRY i had players telling me they're going to meet me in the parking lot and all that. Stuff and you KNOW i had a fraternity team came after me with, bats you know WHAT i?
Speaker 2: Mean, people you know.
Speaker 3: They get the bats from the. Trunk get this? Official?
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, man just turn? Around what's on your? Mind? Boys? Stopped so?
Speaker 1: Anyway all, right, well speaking of, stoops we'll talk about football on the way back here on The Big Boone siders six thirty W ip final segment of The Stay Wide Big Boon. Side they're coming up. Tomorrow you're gonna start hearing and reading and seeing a lot about this New kentucky football team because they're making more stoops available to us and more than almost.
Speaker 2: Three dozen players thirty.
Speaker 1: One so we're all going to get a chance to fill our notebooks and fill our cameras and our. Recorders and if you're a basketball, fan don't get. Upset we're not giving up on.
Speaker 2: BASKETBALL i will be at this football event at the basketball media at noon and then on a flight To oklahoma tomorrow, night So i'll have it all for. Y'all learned to be in show. Business, yeah, right but this.
Speaker 1: Is going to BE i keep, saying this a season Unlike i've ever.
Speaker 2: Covered it's thirty one new. Play that's just. Spring they've signed forty. Two, yeah and spring all there. Exactly there's going to be more after the. Spring, yeah it's going to be more than half the roster is going to be. New they've got to bring this calendar under. Control, oh it's a. Joke it's a, mess just a. Mess and that's WHY i don't. Understand that's why you're seeing the death of spring. Games have you seen how many spring games have gotten banged? Already texas said, No missouri said. NO a couple other prominent programs out there said no spring game just because they don't want to get players.
Speaker 1: Poached Chris doring of THE Sec network has said this on my Show, locally he says it on THE Sec. Network he wants to do away with LIKE uk PLAYING eku play him in the. Spring, well in, theory that sounds pretty, good but that would have worked when he was playing college football now for exactly the reason you just said that ain't gonna.
Speaker 2: Work it's not gonna. WORK i mean a real. Game, nope not gonna. Work AND i mean we saw At kentucky last Year Jeremia, england who unfortunately never played at pitt and he's back in the portal sitting in. There he has the big spring game coming off his torn acl as the pick six and has was the star of and they didn't even put that ON. TV i don't, think correct me If i'm. Wrong it was kind of a water. Down they had all the injuries and they pretty much played two hand, touch but he bawled out and he was in the portal two days later Because kentucky knew he wasn't gonna. Play and it's just i. DON'T i don't mind that coaches are doing, this but the only way to stop it is getting rid of the spring window and do all the transactional stuff in the. Winter that's WHAT i was gonna.
Speaker 3: Ask so is there another transfer portal window after the spring?
Speaker 2: Game?
Speaker 3: Fifteen it's opened for fifteen days after saving eliminate. THAT i think.
Speaker 1: Is that fair to the players because there are kids coming out of the, spring like this kid who realized HE i can play at this, level but you know there's.
Speaker 2: Not happening here eight kids ahead of. Me i'm not going to play.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: YEAH i understand that. Sentiment but that's what the transfer portal window is. For that's What i'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, now you don't know that until the spring, game, right, say you're going into the, spring you think you're gonna Be i'm gonna play myself into the second or third, team and and you're, like, Oh i'm not even gonna be on the depth. Shart, yeah well.
Speaker 3: TOUGH i, mean we got to have that's The but they open.
Speaker 2: With that with, THAT i l in the, portal they enter the can of worms where the players have all the, power which to a DEGREE i agree, with and it's almost now too, much and it's see to.
Speaker 1: ME i THINK i WOULD i would leave that one, alone BUT i would also tighten things up in a winter. TIME i would move it so that you wouldn't have so many kids sitting at bowl games and things like that unless they're hurt or. Whatever BUT i do think the coaches ought to be able to put their heads. Together but when they do the problem is there's no representation for the.
Speaker 2: Players, no, no you, know it's not like there's a n f L P. A, yeah.
Speaker 1: Although lord knows what they're thinking by, changing you, know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's unfortunate you're seeing so many Great the bowl games have already been watered down to opt outs and portal, guys and now spring, games which are supposed to be totally fun for. FANS a lot of schools make it free to, attend and that's going, away.
Speaker 1: And it gives fans of football programs something to look forward to and talk about when if they're not into basketball or baseball or.
Speaker 2: Whatever so, no there, WILL i can, GUARANTEE i just just a. Prediction there will be some sort of announcement Come march That kentucky's not doing a spring. Game but there'll be an open. Practice, sure they're knocking to last. Year, yeah and maybe even less where they do less camera work and maybe don't let the media in or something so they can't put. Out, Oh Jeremiah england had a great day. Today, no that's.
Speaker 3: IT i think it Was Kent spencer did A louisville spring game one time and drew pictures of like stick figures doing the plays and played them as the. Highlights so Because Bobby petrino didn't allow them to shoot, This.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you that that stuff like that until they clean this crap, up it's going to start. Happening was A LEE.
Speaker 1: K howard and Ka. Waititi somebody couldn't show highlights of YOU ok tournament game because it wasn't over yet or something he was doing ON.
Speaker 2: Cw so he had A nerf. Basketball that's.
Speaker 1: Awesome he re enacted the players in the. Studio but that Can't that doesn't surprise. Me can'ts as creative as it.
Speaker 2: Gets thanks so much for. Listening thanks To aaron And. Billy that's a good night From. Lexington