Speaker 1: Hey. Before we get started, be sure to head over to ham Radio two dot com forward slash email dash sign up to join my email list of over nineteen thousand subscribers, where I like to send emails about upcoming events, upcoming shopping deals, keep you updated with all the stuff going on with my videos. Once that list reaches twenty thousand, I will be doing a giveaway of another HF Radio sign up today and thank you for the support. All right, good to see everyone tonight. What's up?
Speaker 2: Izzo?
Speaker 1: Got to work Izzo at PoTA last week? That was fun and several people. Okay, shout out to those of you join us on Instagram and also on Rumble, thank you for being here. Tonight we're going to switch this over here. Good evening, guys. Ham Radio two point zero Sunday Night livestream. Today we're going to be talking about the brand new jesu FtM five ten, which is right there and I picked it up at Gigaparts when I was there two weeks ago. I drove through Huntsville. I may or may not have invested some money into a brand new three D printer that you might and might not be seeing videos about, but spent the day at gigaparts one day and grabbed that and a few other things. So that's what we're going to talk about tonight. Glenn, thank you very much for the superchat buddy, appreciate you being out there. Fifty dollars superchat, good deal special shout out to folks in green text in the chat. Andy Kelly was in there earlier. Good evening to him. Vic, I saw you in there before that, Damon, Wayne W five WNR A SEU in there, Let's see Paul, I see you in there, Joe, Phil W zero RHP, Mike Kale four P I, good morning, KB five U t I, Dave. Thanks for being in the house tonight, Jeff, Arthur, Jody, I see you in there. V E five s aar Ronald, who else? Colt forty five, Dale, Anthony, several guys in there. Thanks for thanks for being in the chat tonight. Thank you for thank you for the being part of the YouTube member family out there. TC fits no with no trashy beer tonight, just regular beer tonight. Actually a good beer that Matt eight four m Q gave me at him Kashen. It's been sitting in the in the truck forridge ever since then. So there we go. Yes, I have a refrigerator in my truck runs twenty four to seven and I just upgraded the battery system. You guys are gonna see a video about that soon. It is freaking cool. So a couple of things real quick.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We were in Galveston a couple of weeks ago, and we wanted to stay longer. But spring break was the week after we were there, and our house got rented and we needed the rental income because the rental income was way down for twenty twenty four for who knows why what reason. Mike, thank you for the super chat five dollars super chat from KO four PDI TC fits. Thank you for the super Chat twenty bucks. Appreciate you guys being out there tonight. So we we were out there, we wanted to stay longer. We couldn't. We were I was only there for like five nights. My wife was there a little bit longer than that. So we want to go back and went. We looked at the calendar and between our own personal vacation and a couple of weeks and him benchon in May, we chose to go the last two weeks of the of May. Last two weeks of the year, last two weeks of May, which we'll coincide with Memorial Day weekend. So I called Galveston Island State Park the other day and I rented a pavilion at Galveston Allen State Park for the Saturday Memorial weekend. I want to say it's May twenty fourth. I don't remember right now. I can't. I'm not looking at a calendar right now, but look at your calendar for Memorial Day and whatever. That said that, which is a Monday, two days prior to that, that Saturday, we're gonna be at Galveston Island State Park hanging out doing PODA. Everyone is welcome to join us. They say that the pavilion will hold up to seventy five people. There's picnic tables around it, even if we get more than that. When we've done these events in the past, we've usually done forty fifty people something like that. We've never really had a problem with that. But there'll be plenty of room in the park outside of that as well. And you will have to pay to get in five dollars to get into the park for the daily pass, unless you have an annual pass, which I highly recommend if you ever go do poda, So check us out there. We're going to be doing that Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. And I spun up a couple weeks ago, I spun up this new giveaway for March hem Radio two dot com forward slash March twenty five is, and you'll come up to this forum right here, and we're gonna give away another radio at the end of this month. Is probably gonna be April when we do the live stream for the giveaway, but you'll have the entire month of March to sign up. I think I've got about seventeen hundred people signed up so far, giving away a brand new icon I see seventy three hundred and something else I worked out when I was at Gigaparts a couple of weeks ago is after we give away. We gave away a yazu Ft eight ninety one the first month in January, gave away a seven or five last month, seventy three hundred. This month and the next two months will be yazu Ft seven tens and Gigabarts had a big hand in helping me obtain those. So yeah, you all go sign up for that. Good luck to you. So we're switching it back and forth between Icon and YESU and giving away some really cool HF radios. I hope you guys win. Hope one of you went. One of you is gonna win. All you gotta do is reply to the email, and sometimes that's challenging to get that done. So okay, all right, let's bring on John and Frank. It looks like Frank turned his camera offices. Is an excellent opportunity to just go ahead and bring it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm still here. Obs has decided to restart.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Well let me know when you're back.
Speaker 3: Frank. Yeah, it's launching right now.
Speaker 1: All right, what's up John?
Speaker 2: How are you? Man?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: How are you guys?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, I'm I am hanging out and enjoying the two two and a half weeks of actual spring that we get in nor Texas. It's not gonna last long before it gets too hot, I think. So we're gonna see how that goes. How's your I know you've been busy. What have you been working on? You want to tell the audience what you've been working on? Is it super top secret or something?
Speaker 2: No, it's it's not super top secret. We get we're you know, we're getting ready for him vention. Obviously that's on the radar, and we're also getting ready a lot of my time for people that aren't aware of it. I don't actually work in the office in California. I work out of my home office, and we have a lot of stuff we're actually getting prepared up. We're actually getting education on the five ten, the FtM one f the FtM one, fifty thirty five, thirty one, sixty five. So we got a lot of that. We released the new versions of those radios that if people don't want the ASP on there, it cuts down the price a little bit. Because I saw that, Yeah, some people just did, like I just want a radio. I don't need any of the SDXDSP. It's not a future I'm gonna use' like okay, okay, cool, fine, So we release this version where the board's not included on there. And then of course we've been working a lot with just kind of you know, having fun at customer education. I like doing that. And then on the personal side, I me, I've been on my days and nights when I have so much time, because you probably heard in the back I run a big YCS server which is connected over to different modes and stuff like that. So we've been on that in the spare time. So radio radio radio radio.
Speaker 1: Well that's good. Are you Are you still tinkering around with that com jot radio?
Speaker 2: I am, I am. I played with I play with that a lot. I got both of those versions on there and stuff like that. So in fact, that's where I that's the DMR radio that I use of choice now and stuff like that on there, so okay, when I want to talk to my friends those kind of things. Well, it's also have a phone radio.
Speaker 1: Right yeah. I picked up one of those not too long ago. I haven't really done much with it, but uh, I know that you can do both DMR and fusion on it, or at least that's the rumor.
Speaker 2: So do you have DMR right now? But they got a lot of people doing a lot of stuff. It's a really neat, open source kind of radio.
Speaker 1: Right right right, yeah, good, good deal? Sweet? Okay, Well, it was good to see you last month, and I hope that you guys had a good show at ham Kash. I appreciate you taking the time out to uh to talk about this new one here. I might the first question when you told me about this radio at Hamcash. The first question I asked was did they improve the APRS messaging menus? And you're like no, So you were really straightforward, straight forward with like no, didn't do that, okay, but we got a lot of other cool features. And I find I found out from a friend of mine I was with. I was in I've been in New Jersey for the last few days for the Hamsay event and uh, one of my friends up there who I think he's in the chat. I saw him earlier ed into XDD. He has an FTV. Yeah, he was there. He's the well it was. It was in the New Jersey's part of the Hudson Division. He's the new director of a double row for the Hudson Division, so he was there. He and Bob were both there, and Nicole was there as well. Uh so the what was I saying? He has a FtM five hundred truck and he told me about a new super secret Maybe it's not that secret option where you could like turn the radio off and hit a couple of buttons and powered on and it comes up and it looks like an FTD X ten menu and has the three by four tiles instead of just the scrolling menu that goes through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's not really any kind of secret squirrel mess that message. Okay, it's really all it is. This is actually it's really for tuning the radio, for doing things on there. Okay, it gets into more of a deeper menu kind of system on there. You It wasn't really designed that way. And the reason we designed the menu system a little different is because people actually did not want the grid menu on there. So that's where if you go ahead with the way the five hundred set up and kind of even like with the three hundred, five to ten, the one fifty even, you know, you can actually hit the up down arrows and jump through the categories, right, wanted that kind of thing on there. Yeah, you could turn it on a different key combination on there. But what it does is if people notice, like when you're in the menu system where it's like kind of like you want to say, like grouping and lines on there, you'll actually still hear the traffic. But if you go with that grid item, it actually turned off the traffic on there. Because like I said, it's designed for like fine tuning the radio and getting into the sub menu system.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay, okay, all right, that makes sense. That makes sense. I actually like the I like the the list you that it comes with. By default. I don't use the updown arrows. I just used the bottom The bottom right knob does the kind of like the scroll through the menus through the categories, and then the top top right knob does like the individual lines and whatnot. So that's generally what I use when I'm going through that menu. And I found that very helpful because you can get through the menus really fast. So I think that's a cool feature.
Speaker 2: All right. And then part of that also too, is like we we tried, if you notice, like on a lot of our newer radios, we're really trying to integrate a lot of functionality back into the microphone because we don't want people yeah, with the radio while they're driving, because yeah, that's just not good.
Speaker 1: Right, hmm, yeah, totally totally. Yeah, No, that's good. So I just I just opened because I've been out of town for the last few days. I just opened this radio and powered it up like three hours ago, so I've done nothing with it. So I'm gonna let you give us similar to what you I did recording with you at Hamcash that's on the channel. That got a lot of hits and a lot of views and a lot of comments on that video. But we probably have some people watching tonight who hadn't seen that video. So I'm gonna let you talk about that. But I'm very well versed, probably not as much as I could, Probably not as much as you are, obviously, but I'm I'm very used to the FtM five hundred, so I've I used that radio on my truck almost every day, So that's what I'm used to. But tell us what the big difference is besides the ASP and you can talk about that too, but the PMG function. I'm looking forward to getting you to show that, show us that tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's is there a lot of change between the five hundred and five to ten Not not really. It's not a different RF board. It's not a different circuit board. We've we've heard a lot of rumors that it's all it's you redesigned the circuit board. No, we haven't. What we did is is we actually released a five hundred, and what we had was a lot of people that actually came out and they said, John I want a good analog radio and on a dual ban and one functionality. And then so we were like, okay, well that's where we released the FtM one fifty, right, So we brought out the one fifty, which for the most part is sort of like a cousin to the five hundred, but it doesn't do digital. A lot of people love that radio. A lot of people are saying that. But then we started to get a surge of people that were saying, okay, no, no, no, no, you're not listening to us. John, Okay. I was like, what do you mean. They're like, we want good analog operation, but we want APRS. We want to have some of that functionality, the big head, the color display, the touch screen, that kind of thing. So that's where we designed it. And we came up with two main parts of the five to ten. So the first one, obviously is we added the ability to course do the ASP and the SDX function. The SDX function was in the five hundred, but now we added the ASP DAL signal digital processing. And then we improved on the PMG because we're now taking advantage of both receivers in the PMG. So for those that may not know PMG. What PMG stands for is primary memory grouping, and what the concept was on that is, let's say you're at event. Let's say you're doing something you want to monitor more than two channels, right, because you can do you know that Maine and the subband, right, so you can always unit two channels there. But people are like, we want to do three four, you know those kind of things. So he said, okay, here's what we're gonna do. You can kind of put them into a temporary group zone on however people want to use that term. And then what you can do is with the five hundred you were able to either watch manually for it, so you watched the signal graph go up when a signal's received and then you manually turn the dial. Or with the five hundred you could do almost like what we kind of call PMG scan And what that would do is go through and the first frequency that it would hit that had traffic, it would stay on that one until the signal went away, and then it would kind of go back to the scanning thing. Well, people said, you know, hey, is there a way you can improve on it? And so what we did was is we went along and added this feature to the five to ten, which you actually can get now in the five hundred on a firmware upgrade. But what it will do now is it actually will let you do duel basic scanning function. So now can receive two of the five frequencies that you're monitoring. You can receive both of those at the same time.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, that's cool. I use the heck. I don't use PMG on many of my radios. I think I use it on my FT five when I'm at like Hamfest events, I'll use it there. But the most I use PMG, I use the heck out of it on my FtM six thousand. And the only reason I use it on that one is because I have a little uh. I have one of the tech prepper Man packs for that. So it's got a little battery in it, it's got a roll up j poll from ed Fong, and it's got a couple other feet. I just now put a digi rig in it. But I'll take that to an event Poda Hamfest, just going out of town somewhere, and I'll set that up and I'll keep six top five to two, maybe my all Star node and maybe one or two of the local repeaters, and I'll switch out the menus, and then I'll go in and I'll put those all in the PMG group and then I'll I'll go into the scan menu and I'll choose PMG scan and I'll hit that and it just says PMG scan. I know some people who complained that it doesn't really tell you what it's scanning. It just says PMG scan on the menu, and I kind of agree with that. But it's a very useful feature because you can scan through the four or five or up to five i think memory channels that you have in PMG. Because that is my portable, very portable, backpackable full I mean full, full powered, fifty watt dual band radio that I take with me and set up at campsites and whatnot. So I find that very useful for a radio that's always getting the location changed on it.
Speaker 2: Yep. And you know, we created PMG as you kind of menta, and we actually went back all the way to go back all the way to FT three. We HADG functionality on that right, and the reason was is that people, you know, people rote touting and this is a this is a very big m COMMRA thing. And even if it's not an m commra thing, it's like, you know, a fairly active Hey we got an event, a marathon race, whatever whatever on there that people like, I don't want to take all my channels out of scan. I don't want to do this, and I want to do this, I just need like four or five specific ones. The nice thing when you get into the five hundred realm, whether it be the five hundred or the five to ten, more so of the five to ten, is you can do VFO frequencies or you can do memory. When PMG first came out, like on the three, for example, it was only memory channels. But now no, you can throw in things on the fly there, so it's not an issue at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, good good. I always just do it from the VFO on my six thousand. I mean I don't I don't know if even I if I even have any memory channel saved in that radio. I'm sure I've got six top five to two. That's probably about it. But yeah, good, okay, Well, let's uh, let's take a look at it. It's gonna look just like what you guys are frank. Uh do you. I don't. I'm not trying to ignore you, Frank, are you I'm.
Speaker 3: Here, I'm alive, yay, Hi, what's up?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: All right, I've been I've been doing a lot today, watching for right now, watching the questions for the chat. I did have one quick question. You were talking about dual monitoring is like a full duplas can you transmit and still hear the other side? Or is that it's only in the monitor mode you can hear both sides.
Speaker 2: No, So the the five to ten is cable just like the five hundred of being opposite band, so you can transmit on V and hear you at the same time. But if you go V B you won't do that. Now. The reason being is you have to look at Designer radio. Well, it has two receivers on there. It only has one antenna port on it, so we can't. We got to be careful because if we're transmitting on V and the other receivers on V, we're gonna overload the front end and blow out the receiver. What this brings up a good point, Frank, is at the five to ten works great with satellites. I actually have done mobile satellite operation with my five ten and a good antenna just with it alone. I just program in the on the on the sub band, I'll use it for receiving, and on the main band, I'll go ahead and tune into the actually wire programmed the splits in there, so you get your you know, fifteen killer herds above and below, and I'll just go ahead and slowly turn and tune in that way, and it works great.
Speaker 3: So it's full duplex, crossbanded, but not on the same band.
Speaker 2: Correct, not on the same band, okay, and it is a crossband repeater at radio. Also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just trying to distinguish that because some people will probably pick that, so good good, Thank you again. Watching for questions, I just came to mind because I was like, oh, you kind of said it. The satellite guys are gonna ask, so let's let's just stem that right now.
Speaker 1: It's a good question. One of the one of the most common questions I get when a new radio comes out is is it full duplex? And uh, several several of the new radios that have come out lately are full duplex. I'm excited about it.
Speaker 3: Is there a a a way to term that? Is there a terminology for full duplex on two bands, but not on the same band. Is there a way to distinguish between that, you know not?
Speaker 2: You know not? That we think because because usually if you're if you're doing that in a band that's like a repeater, you know what I mean, you know, on the same band. When we usually say full duplex, we're usually referencing in any of our material that we would publish, it would be being able to receive on a different band while simultaneously transmitting.
Speaker 3: On the same band, or a different band on a doc band. Yeah, so that'd be crossband repeat capabilities stuff. Okay, all right, cool. I will sit in the background, y'all ask you questions and I'll bring them up when we see it.
Speaker 1: Cool, Okay, thanks Frank. All Right, so here's the radio. I've got it sitting over here, and I can I can go full screen like this if I want to, But this is the view that I'm gonna sit on right now. So, uh, John, take us through. Let's uh just tell me what to do and we're just gonna I just want to go through the menus. I want to see how the PMG works differently than the the older Now you said something about the firmware on the firmware on the five hundred that's that's been released. What is it. I know it's not adding the ASP because it's got that's a different board, but is it adding this PMG function.
Speaker 2: It is, it is adding the PMG functionality on it. Okay, so you will be able to go ahead and do it that way. So the biggest thing, I guess we'll start with the top buttons there to make it a little bit easier, so your same button layout. The biggest thing is the SDX button is going to go ahead and do a dual functional So one of the things I kind of want to just make clear on the SDX button. Some people have said it's it's a pre amp. It's not really a pre amp. If the better description of it is it's actually taking the receiver sensitivity and dropping it for the frequency you're on, that would be a better description of what you're doing. But it's not adjusting squelch because a lot of people are like, oh, it's just turning down the squelch. Not really what it's doing is it's almost creating sort of like almost like a squelch history. If people are familiar with repeaters and stuff out there where what it's doing is is your repeater in your your squelch level, you receive sensitivities here when you hit that SDX for that frequency, it lowers it to pull in that signal. Now that is going to work on analog as well as digital. But if you hit that, so hit that SDX button once, Jason, if you could just see the upcorn it says s DX. That means once again it's dropping the received sensitivity down for that frequency. Now if you hit it again, what you're gonna do is now it says ASP. Now the AP is active. And now what you're seeing on there is you're seeing the advanced digital signal processing that you don't normally find on VHF and UHF radios if you're talking like HF Yeah, DSP is is part of the sure right, but that's why this is unique on there. So once you have that active on there, that's what you're gonna see on that point on there. Now, if you go along and hit it again, you're gonna go back to normal. But now I want you to push and hold long present, Yeah, long pressent hold it now you see it says auto F auto F.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now what that's going ahead and doing. It's actually engaging both factors on there.
Speaker 1: Oh, really, it does the the SDX and the ASP.
Speaker 2: Correct, because what we wanted to do is, like I said, ASP is not gonna make a hill of beans in digital and the reason being is digital ones and zeros, right dsp ASP on there is going to impact your your actual analog audio waveform. Right, it's gonna go ahead and clean that up. But some people want to do it so like you're on five to two. Hey, I want not only the receiver sensitivity to be fine tuned, and I want that ASP at the same time. I want both. That's when you can activate the auto F function on there, and we'll go ahead and do that on there.
Speaker 1: Excellent, okay, good.
Speaker 2: So now, and then to get it off auto F so some people where you got to push and hold it.
Speaker 1: Again, Yeah, makes sense to okay.
Speaker 2: And if you notice when you push the SDX button, the light lit up over the little kind of the channel now there, So if you look at the chair the main.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, the white the white light there. Yeah, I didn't notice that it first.
Speaker 2: Okay, the white light always goes ahead in signals that Hey, I either have SDX on desp on or I should say a SP or I have auto f on. And you'll see that reflective in the upper right corner. So if you hit it two more times, turn off both, the little light's gonna go by by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, good go Now.
Speaker 2: PMG is super simple. It's it's gotten better over the day. Back in the day, it was kind of a pain and about to do it. But all you're simply gonna do is, is you notice of the main tuning. Now the big knob on the front, the upper left corner, it says PMG and then the white is PW. PW stands for PMG. Right, so you're gonna simply do is select what frequency you want. So if you want five to two there, hold the PMG button. Boom, you just opted it into PMG. Now you want to get back out, hit the VFO memory button there. Now there you are. You're out of that. Now. If you want to program another frequency into PMG, all you have to do is go to that frequency, push and hold PMG again. And now what's happening is that you store two frequencies in there. Want to go ahead and go back out? You can hit PMG again or you can hit the VFO memory button on there. And then now what did you have on there is you have two frequencies that are going in there. Okay, now as you see on there, there's no traffic right now. Right you see how the P one is flashing. What's happening right now? Is you have that or you're you're on P two but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was Yeah, the one that's not selected is flashing.
Speaker 2: Correct. What's happening in that case on there is that you were going ahead and you have in an autoo mode right now you have in a singular mode right now, so it's going out and it's just a sampling the one frequency right oh okay, okay, push and hold the big dial button the main main knob there. Now it's just a mode. Now you're doing the full scan. Notice how both are.
Speaker 1: Going both of them are doing okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So now you're going to have that that's going to be scanning. Now if you put in like three more different frequencies for a total of five, kind of see how that progresses through that display on there. That it's going to kind of be sampling those five frequencies and then the first tow of traffic, are going to go ahead and come up online?
Speaker 1: Okay, back in man, Okay, So it stayed in auto mode even after I added a new frequency to it.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: So is that basically like it's scanning right now?
Speaker 2: Then? Yep, in automode it's okay. For the most part, we didn't want to call it scan because that could confuse people. Figured, but auto mode means it's automatically going to pull up activity on now this case, the first two that it I see.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right, good Now does this feature? Is this feature on the new one fifty as well?
Speaker 2: It is PMG is a feature on there. It does like an automode, but it doesn't have a dual receive mode in essence.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, all right, good deal. Cool? Okay, Yeah, that that's definitely new because I before I would put you it's cool because you can if you have three or four or five in there, you can see when there's activity pop up on one. If I'm monitoring P one and there's activity on P two, it shows like a little waterfall right there, or like a like a like a status bar. But you'd have to manually tune over to it to actually hear what's going on. So you have to be looking at the radio to to actually hear what's going on. So that's that's gonna be a neat feature right there. I'm gonna like that, I think.
Speaker 2: Now here's another cool part. Say say you got you got that going there, and I'll say, you want to go to your PCE three frequency right away? You have the frequency at the bottom of the screen. Yep, right there.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So since just touch screen, you can just tap on which one you want.
Speaker 2: And the reason we also did that too is because remember when a signal comes in, you'll see a bar graph go up. Now, the higher the bar graph, the more strength the signal is. Right, you can do that so instead of you're like, oh hey, here to that frequency, boom, you can.
Speaker 1: Tap tap tap tap, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Okay, now you're doing PMG. PMG gives flexibility where a lot of times people don't think that it does. So if you could push and hold the upper right the function button on there, push and hold the gate into the deep menu system.
Speaker 1: Oh right here, push and hold it.
Speaker 2: Now do remember a menu number twenty two.
Speaker 1: PMG.
Speaker 2: Okay, PMG, Now go into there. Now you're going to see in the PMG function, you can have your PMG timer. That's how long it's going to kind of do sampling of all them. So if you want to, you can actually change that from zero point five, so half a second, all the way up to two seconds if you want. If you want to clear all the PMG memories right away, you're like, oh man, I screwed up. I don't want any of these five anymore. You MG clear will clear them out, and then the PMG whole time you can adjust all the way from two seconds all the way up to thirty seconds. Now what that does is that basically is almost like a scan resume timers the way I'm going to describe that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if it's.
Speaker 2: Hearing traffic in this case, the lost time will hold is two seconds. But if you want to go up to let's say fifteen seconds, let's say you can go ahead and do it that way on there, and then that way it would be our ten I'm sorry, goes ten twenty, It goes two five, ten twenty, and then thirty.
Speaker 1: On there, no fifth right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But if you want to hold it for ten seconds so that you're not missing a conversation. You can adjust it right in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, perfect, that's neat. Okay. I never played with that deep menu before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's and it's kind of a it's kind of one that a lot of people are like, you know, oh hey, I didn't realize this and that kind of thing, and you know, we kind of have it on there for that kind of aspect on the perfect Okay, let's talk about memory, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know a common question is the memory banks.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, so we don't have memory banks. Yeah. Gave kind of two little options here.
Speaker 1: Okay, and let me.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and take a drink here real quick, because this is this is gonna be a good one. So okay, all right, what we did is we we made what we call a memory group option on there. Now, what you can do is if you go into memory right now. So if you back out and go into memory, you're going to see the normal. So yep, go all the way back back out out to the everything completely. Okay, there you go, Now, go into your memory or do you don't have anything of memory?
Speaker 1: Do I don't have anything in memory? H zero? Is what came in there?
Speaker 2: Why don't you put like put five two real quick into memory. So just easy to put that one in there, even if you want to push and hold boom yeah, memory.
Speaker 1: Function knob funk yeah right there, right right, okay, all right, easy just to put the memory in there. Yeah, okay, all that there.
Speaker 2: So, now here's what you're gonna do. Go ahead and hit back.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Now, once you go ahead and go to memory. Now hit v A v M in the upright corner. It goes ahead and it says m all.
Speaker 1: Uh upper left corner. Yes, I'm sorry, yes, huh.
Speaker 2: Hit the band button once.
Speaker 1: The band button Uh here yep.
Speaker 2: I can see it's m VA CHEF. So now what happens is when it's an m v H chef, any VHF memory frequency we have in there, regardless of it's memory one two, five hundred seven hundred nine oh one, it's gonna only allow you to turn to the VHF frequencies. Oh okay, if you hit band again, you have a UA CHEF frequency in there, it's gonna go to m U A chef. But this says mg RP right, that's the new feature. Oh, the M group now allows you to program any of your memory channels into a separate group. Okay, So now this kind of gets you around that bank, that zone, that group issue. So if you have let's say, like me, I travel obviously a lot, I drive down HONTL. Yeah, I'm going along and I'm going through, I can adjust this memory group now and so instead of my two hundred and soent the memory channels I have for all the repeaters I travel within nine ninety four and all that kind of stuff, I can start throwing the individual selected ones I have into the m group section there, and now I kind of have my own scratch pad memory grouping, which is going to give me more than the five and PMG, but is not going to have me have to use all my memory functions.
Speaker 1: How many does it holds?
Speaker 2: As many as you want to put in there? So I guess okay, because you can load them up with all your memories.
Speaker 1: Kind of defeats a purpose. But yeah, okay, it does, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done it with. The most I've done it so far has been twelve. Because as I travel here, living near the Minneapolis, Minnesota area, I kind of travel to the city's lot. I throw in my fuse select that I always like to talk on and I know on there, so I've done about twelve on there, which is not an issue whatsoever, but once again, it kind of gives you that flexibility that you want to do on there.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Okay, yep, okay, And it's all.
Speaker 2: Done by hitting that band button just will you're in memory that band button and then boom, you're good to go.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, one of the cool things is see how the M groups is the blue color? Yes, Notice the little light above your main tuning knob is blue. Yes, hit your band button again and you're gonna go back to M group. Now, look at M group is green. The light above the knob is green. Hit your man one more time, M VHF and it's right. So it kind of gives you a quick reference of like, hey, why can't I find my favorite VHF re Peter, Well, look at it. You want to be in green then, or you know, whatever the case may be on there.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, No, that's that's good because I'm I'm very used to looking at colors. So that's gonna once you. You just got to memorize it and know that red is VHF and green is memory h okay, good yep.
Speaker 2: Now what are the other things that we like to go ahead and kind of help people on. Here is dealing with kind of the way that the memory channel list is laid out and everything. So if you actually go to no memory list mode, you can go ahead and turn that. So go into the deep menu system and go to memory twenty one twenty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, memory list mode.
Speaker 2: So memory list mode you can have that on or off if you want to. Okay, But then when you have that, if you have that on, then you go up to memory or number twenty there if people want to go through it in a more organized fashion, you can have more of that list because people are always like, how do I get to the list easy? How do I go ahead? And how am I able to do that? That kind of adds that little functionality on there that we want to tell people about, because this is where you're gonna go ahead. If you want to change names, if you want to change yeah, you know, tones or frequencies or something, go into that memory list mode and now that you can go ahead and select through.
Speaker 1: All of them there, gotcha, Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: But go back to the main memory on there you can also still go back to the main memory and then still operate it. But if you have that on, now go hit back button. Now go to memory which you are. Now tune one more time. Now tune the big job when you change, and automatically goes through that list for you. So instead of going like channel by channel by channel by the name, it puts you into that list mode. Now, what you can do is if you have the microphone connected, for an example, have it in there. But if let's say you had a channel number one fifty, you can enter one five zero on there and then it takes you to that channel in the list there.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, nice, Okay. I like the fact that you can just go in there and like you're in this right here and you start turning this big knob and then it goes back to that view.
Speaker 2: I like that, yep. And then when you have it what you want to use? Do you select the channel of frequency you want, then hit the main knob.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Now you're there, So it gives you that better quick look. Hey I'm driving, I don't wanna you know, I don't want to scroll through and stuff, and it gives you more Some people like that list view context on there.
Speaker 1: I do, I think I do like that? Yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 2: So a lot of those are the main functionality on there. One of the things I'll go ahead and comment on there. One of the reasons I love the five hundred is if you quickly push that function button on there, it's going to give you what we call your CFL Customizable Favorites List. Right, you can move anything you want to on there except keep head and home channel so you can change. So, let's say you don't want scan function on there. Let's say you want to, you know, do APRS messaging whatever. You could change any of those eight different combinations on there, and all you simply do is you select the one you want to change, push and hold that favorite list button, tune it to the menu item you want. Then when you tune it to the menu item you want, push and hold the favorites list again or the function list again. Now you splashing, Then go ahead and hit that function button. Now boom, you just locked it into it. Your new item has been changed on there.
Speaker 1: I use the heck out of this menu on my five hundred for APRS messages, APRS HERD HERD stations to turn the beacon off and on because I'll sometimes listen to APRS, but I'm not beaconing APRS, so I'll use it to turn that off and on sometimes. But I use that's probably the most common feature that I use on my current radio setup in the truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of people like that. A lot of people are really unfamiliar with it there because it'll be like I wish you could do this, I wish you could do this. We're like you will here here do this and do this, and all of a sudden, right really and we're.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and I know you and I talked about this when we did the video about the original five hundred on this channel. So people don't know about that, then they're not watching my videos. I'm kind of hurt by that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm disappointed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, I appreciate all the new people out there, for sure, But yeah, No, that's that's a that that quick menu is is is really is a really fun menu. So just short press that to get into the quick menu and then you long press that to get into the deep menu.
Speaker 3: Now, quick question when we're on the menu is how large is that screen?
Speaker 2: Uh? It's like a three it's a three inch screen. It's a it's it's a smaller screen. Maybe it's two something on there, but it's a fairly large size screen for the for the small size it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's larger than the FtM three hundred and two hundred screen, but it's not nearly as big as the ft and four hundreds.
Speaker 3: Can you just like hold your hand up to it well fast? I know you've been poking it all the time, but I saw that question like three times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's my hand right there.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean you can.
Speaker 2: You could take like a tip of a pen like I have. I have, you know, and I can easily tap it on there and stuff like that. By the way, it's capacitive touch. It is pressure sensitive touch.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, which is much better. Wat's to frequency? Can it crossband repeat? Yes, sir, it can. We talked about that like ten minutes ago. I was just typing that, Yes, it will crossband repeat for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I know, I know you're a big APRS guy. Yes, but I want to I want to help you out here. I want to help you. Okay, Oh you can do it?
Speaker 1: So, okay, you go into your menu system.
Speaker 2: I want you go to number twenty nine, like program key.
Speaker 1: Twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, go into it now, go, let's go. Let's you know. P one is nice because that's the second PCT if people aren't familiar with so just by going ahead and if you are, you going down the road and I'll do it. I'll listen to two frequencies. If I need to talk on the submand I put automatically key up on there. Right, here's what I want you to do. Go down to P two, push your function button. Now, tune it and you could see guess what you can tune in program with the button to do. See if you see it. Oh, look at that reply yep, reply, but go.
Speaker 1: Back message list and go back station list.
Speaker 2: List, so you can program P two, three and four for station list, message list, and reply. So all you're doing microphone now you can hit P two, P three, P four for what you want to do.
Speaker 1: For a messaging Okay, okay, okay, that's kind of cool. I like having the station I mean I thought it was really conveniant to have the station list and the h and the message list in that quick menu. Whatever you whatever you call that quick menu.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not using the REFL CFL.
Speaker 1: CFL okay quick function list.
Speaker 2: Right customers, well favorite.
Speaker 1: List see okay, customizable favorite list. Yeah. But yeah, but but having reply in there, that's neat. I like that, that is uh.
Speaker 2: Now. The reason the reason I bring it up to people is because like for me, when I'm dropping and right, and I don't do that much APRS. If I do, if you ever see me beacon on APRS, it's usually I'm just beconing to be honest with you, okay, because be honest with you. I'm on the Meshcastic bandwagon now and I bought a whole bunch of mescastic stuff, but that episode.
Speaker 1: I did a whole we had a whole lot of meshtastic activity up in New Jersey this last week. So yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 2: And and but what I what I what I like about it is is that I can do some of those APR stuff in those buttons there, but I can use that CFL for more of the stuff I want, so like scan or or the the once again, the power, the repeater shifting, all those kind of things like that. That's what I like to put in my CFL.
Speaker 1: I usually put I definitely want to put the tone in there too, to turn on an off tone squelch or CTCSS tones and whatnot, so I do that in mind as well. So yeah, yeah, no, I really, I really do. I really use probably that feature more than any other feature. And I'm not a big microphone button person, just because I forget about it really and I don't use it enough to have it memorized. But that's good to know. If I can hit P two and reply to a pres messages, that's excellent. So Mike's asking, will it do that on the FtM three hundred, You.
Speaker 2: Don't, to be honest with you, I'd actually have to take a look on the three hundred because it's it's been so long since I've spent mine up and I and you know, the other thing too is I don't really use my three hundred that much for APRS stuff. I usually use it as as a comm thing. Yeah yeah, okay, okay, good.
Speaker 3: Richard says, go mestastic, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. We had some cool meshtastic stuff going on in uh well, we were at New Jersey Institute of Technology and they have meshtastic nodes. Actually at the campus. So we were we had a good, good mestastic. I started typing ed and I were typing back and forth to one another, and some other random guy came in there and says, Wow, it's nice to see activity on here. Like you guys must not use your own system, but it's cool, all right, Cool? What else, John?
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of the same functionalities in there that we have on there then the five hundred, Like I said, we made a little few improvements on some things there. You can kind of see on there. The biggest thing is is we wanted it to be versatile. We wanted we wanted to be a vh excuse me, we wanted well VHF HF obviously, but we wanted it to be an analog user radio as a digital user radio. We don't want that to be like, oh it's digital, it's going to digital and screw the FM users and vice versa. No, we r we wanted along there. And that's why you know it's got a data jack on the back. I'm going to tell you, I hook my stuff up to it so that I can actually in my car, I have it with the data jack on the back. I have a separate radio completely set up for it that I can take my public safety portable on an amateur frequency though in FM, go into my car. My car then will repeat it into the five hundred or now the five to ten, and I can actually use fusion within analog radio because I'm repeating it through what I have up in the car. That's that data jack on there, that's that versatility. People are like, how can I interface a desktop microphone use the back of the data jack. It still has all the other functionalities on there. So for example, if you go to and push the main volume knob on there, it still has that AESS functionality on there, so you're gonna go ahead and have that great audio response on there. So between going ahead and using ass technology like I'm seven ten, you can also do with that SDX. And I'm just gonna tell you you're you're I'm picking stuff out of the mud that that other stuff is not hearing. Combining all three of these things together.
Speaker 1: HM, that's cool, okay, yep.
Speaker 2: And once again, you know this is one of the radios. You know the five ten started at the five ten continues, right. You can mount the whole main body unit like in the trunk out of the way. You have the speaker in the head, you have the microphone head, you have the SD card in the head. You got everything right from there. You don't even have to worry about that other radio or the other part of the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's one of the great things about the FtM five hundred in the truck is that not only does it have the microphone jack in the head, which is right here if you guys can't see it, the microphones plugged into the side of the head, same as the five hundred, but having that having that speaker in it means I don't have to hook up an additional external speaker for the one of the four or five radios I have in my truck. So yeah, it's it's all inclusive. It's it's all right there mounted to the remotely mounted to whatever system you have in your vehicle. And it does make it nice for sure.
Speaker 2: Yep. And like I said, full touch screen, don't be afraid to go ahead and do it. I like it because, unlike you know, the four hundred, which is a touch screen, if I want to change modes or bands or stuff like that on there, I can, you know, I gotta you know, basically tap the screen or tap the modes, like if I want to go from f M to digital, I could just write the FM on there. Makes it so much easier, so much more simple to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, except for when you grab your HT and you tap it by mistake because you forgot to lock the screen, which I.
Speaker 3: Do, or you keep touching the screen and it goes.
Speaker 1: Well, and when you do lock the screen, you grab it and it goes tries to take like uh, I don't want to say retarded, but retarded more code to you, so making noise. So all right, Frank, do we have any questions?
Speaker 3: Oh? So many, so many.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's let's stick to the questions about this specific radio and then we can get okay, okay, all right, and we can we can get into some some some more generalized YASU questions because I have the same questions you guys do. But John's not gonna be able to tell us much, I don't think. But let's let's just go ahead and see.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, I love it, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Know what if you feed me some lines to say, you can say I I have no control what Frank says I don't know where he's getting his epiphanies from. But kind of off the bat, how much does this radio cost?
Speaker 2: You don't it is newer radio. There is a little bit more of a cost to it. I don't know what the dealers are selling it for, and we leave that to the dealers. We don't do any sort of MP pricing or mean advertised pricing or anything like that with Yazu. So the best thing to do is to contact your favorite authorized when a stress authorized dealer, And there's always specials and sales going on and everything like that on there for this radio and any other other Yaser radios too, so I would check to see what the pricing is through them directly.
Speaker 3: Is this the R version, Jason?
Speaker 1: This is the R version? So yeah, So I'm pulling up the gigabarts page right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's so.
Speaker 1: No, this is the seven to fifty one, oh with the R A SP So the RASP is seven fifty And then John was talking about how they had released a version without the ASP with just the just the SDX, and that one's one hundred dollars cheaper, and that's that's what gigaparts has it for right now. Now. When those when those last three models came out, they were announced at one price and they were at that price for a very short period of time before the price dropped. And that's kind of typical of new radios for in any everybody.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and anything you know, news comes out in there. I want to stress though, all the R means, and this is a good point on there. People ask, well, what does the R mean, what does the E mean? Those kind of things like that. Our means that it's the North American model, so it's going to be good for the American frequencies one one forty eight and four thirty to four fifty a version which you can't buy through a dealer in the US or the North American market because it's a European version that's going to only give you one forty four to one forty six and four thirty to four forty There are other versions for other parts of the world. Only by the version for your region, buy through the dealer for your region. We have a lot of people now that are coming and buying radios online and then they bring them over to the US. One, they're not the right frequency band split. Two we can't operate and honor the warranty because it's not in our same region here, especially when it comes to HF, and then people will be like, oh, I can upgrade the firmware, I can modify the radio and stuff some radios out of different regions. You can't modify at all, and we cannot update the firmware on it. That's actually illegal for US by FCC law. So that's why we tell people if you're in the US, you're in North America market, just buy from a dealer. Make sure you're getting the R version right.
Speaker 1: Interesting and good advice.
Speaker 3: When you were talking about the SDX on this radio, is there any negativity to just have that writing full time or is it recommended to?
Speaker 2: That's a very good question. So having SDX no once again, that just goes ahead and lowers that receive sensitivity. You're gonna maybe pick up more possibilities inner mod and like interference, possibly because the receiver becomes super hot. The ASP. Yes, if you have the ASP on, it's going to possibly cause some issues. And here's why. Remember and these are my my HF people understand this. And if you're not an HF or and you don't necessarily know about DSP not talking down you. I'm just trying to give you education here. When you have an advanced signal digital processing like this does what it does, it kind of refines what is bad. Right. If it's good, it can't refine it, and if it tries to, it's actually going to impair it. Right. The example I gave to someone and I said, okay, so let's say you go on the beach and you pick up a rock. Right, you pick up a rock, and the rock's got sand on it. You take water. Water is are asp an example here, Right, it's going to clean the rock with the sand off and everything. That's going to make the right rock nice and clean, right, so you can see it. But if you already have a clean rock, you're gonna put more water on it. It's not gonna do anything for it on there. And as a matter of fact, it actually after a while you put more water on the rock, you know, it could go ahead and make it look wet and make it look horrible. That's what it does. Because we've had a lot of people like when the thirty one eighty five came out, the thirty one sixty five, the one point fifty, they were having like a full S S nine even full signal strength on there. They hit the ASP button and then the signal almost disappears. Yeah, but yeah, because you're you're overprocessing a good.
Speaker 1: Signal, you know, right right it's somebody said in one of the videos that it almost sounds like you're turning the analog signal into C four FM, And it can sound like that. I mean, if it's a good strong signal already and you put the ASP on it, it can almost sound digital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It will sound it will sound waterfalls, sure like. Yeah, there's what we hear a lot. Once again, that's because it's so much you know on there and or like the HF people, it's like really cranking up your DNR when you don't need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, thank.
Speaker 3: You, thank you. Chris. Is this a dual bender or a tribender because I'm looking at the listings and I think it's two meters four forty, but I saw a couple of people ask and lidded to it was also to twenty.
Speaker 2: It's it's transmit VHF UHF so two meters and seventy centimeter, but it is wide band received, so we'll receive two twenty, will receive nine hundred, it will receive eight hundred, you know, cellular limitations blocked and everything like that. So it does have a nice wide open receiver on there. So so yes, it will do that in that regards there too. It goes down to the aircraft, so the aircraft listeners. It goes as low as one to weight, and then I think it goes up to nine nine ninety nine. I actually have to try it here. I don't remember nine nine nine. No, so it goes it goes way up into nine hundreds.
Speaker 3: Okay, so is well all right that speculation. Let me move past that. So we'll transmit on two twenty then well not no, okay, that removes that question. How many wats it? We'll transmit on two none?
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 3: Do you need a tnc with this radio or a dig you rig.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you want to use a different data mode on there, if you want to do like wind link or all those kind of things like that, yes you will need to go ahead and have like a digirig something else on there on it. There's no built in TNC. What is in there for APRS is more of an algorithm kind of based APRS on there. There's not an actual TNV in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom, I've asked that question already. Go check out the earlier but yeah, we're not talking about duplex. And again, does this have a waterfall?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not a waterfall, but it has a band scope on there, so if you actually hit the DSP button on there, it will go ahead and show an actual active bar graph on there with the you can adjust a display on there. So I think it's uh, what is it? Is it twenty twenty six channel? I'd have to to be honest with you, I'd have to go ahead and look at it again, but I know it does the bar graph on there. And if you're in memory mode, here's the other cool part. When you're in memory mode, it will go ahead and show you the activity on the memory channels alone. It won't go ahead and show you the whole frequency range on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So don is asking? So there is a port to connect a T and C two.
Speaker 2: Yep? There is. The standard is a ten pin mini DIN style jack. You can buy the cable from us. You're really only gonna use pins one through six. That's the standard packet data layout kind of jacks on there. But once again, it's not just data like I said. It can be data, it can be voice, it could be a whole bunch of different things on there.
Speaker 3: Nice. Nice, How many different memory groups did you say this radio can use?
Speaker 2: So the different memory radio groups it has so automatically has a standard memory going on there. Then it has memory VHF has grouping for VIEWHEF, we'll have grouping for air, We'll have a grouping for public safety. And then it also has a that new memory group which is just all of your own grouping on there. So that's the one that you kind of put it in there. So in essence, it has a couple of different ones on there, depending on how you want to take a look at it.
Speaker 3: Nice, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Don wants me to show the back, So I'm gonna go ahead and show the back of it. I'm gonna turn it around, go ahead, Frank.
Speaker 3: All right. While you're doing that, I'm trying to find is the ASP the same as the one fifty and does it have ASP interface with TNC?
Speaker 2: So the ASP is part of the receiver circuitry, so yes, it is the same ASP chip that's used in the one fifty as well as the five ten. Here in the thirty one and five thirty one sixty five. As long as the signals analog, ASP will work on it. So what would end up happening is is if you connected a device off the back of it with the data jack on there, Yes, if you turned ASP on, it would hit the receiver. The receiver would use the ASP technology and would put it out to the backside of it.
Speaker 3: Nice. So what we're showing is the den ten pen underneath the power cable here right right there, and what are the other ports there?
Speaker 1: There's two external speaker reports. It looks like yep, there's.
Speaker 2: Two external speaker reports. So what you can do is in the manual states how that you could do a combination. So what you can do is you can do both the main and the sub out of the one speaker port. You can do just the main out of the one, the sub out of the one. So whatever configuration you want to have on there. Some people will take and separately remote mount this radio, so that what it we'll do is they'll be like, Okay, here we go. It's it's the head is in the front of the the head is only there. The main drawers in the back of the rate car somewhere and then they'll have a speaker and that speaker will put out the subband, but they'll always have the main come out of the main speaker.
Speaker 3: Nice. Okay, that's interesting since you said it, can we connect a Cat six cable to this if we need a longer cable.
Speaker 2: So no, we do not recommend that. And here's here's why. Two things. One, I cannot believe to tell you or begin to tell you how many people have sent their FtM five hundreds in because I was like, oh, it's just a simple Cat five cable. They wired up wrong and they fry things. Okay. Secondly, the CAT cables do not provide enough shielding with it on there, and I know a lot of people are like, nope, Cat, we'll do it, and stuff like that on there. We have had testimonies from customers that have said, you know what, I took Cat six E cable and I hooked it between the radio and the head and they were having issues and we said, no, you can't do that. They said, yes we can. We said go buy the cable, and they went out, bought the cable, went to their favorite Yazu dealer. That kind of thing got the cable hooked it up, all their problems went away on there.
Speaker 3: So that external cable, how long is it? And if we need a longer one or shorter one, how do we get like kind of a customized one for our setup?
Speaker 2: So there is a ten foot and a twenty foot cable that you can purchase on there. Like with anything we use with our cables on there, we know that the maximum amount that the radio can operate without issues in this case would be twenty feet. Okay, So if as somebody needs something longer than twenty feet, yeah, you are going to have to manufacture something on your own. But we can't say that it's going to work past twenty feet because we've only tested it and we can ensure that it'll work up to twenty feet.
Speaker 3: How about if we need one short like six feet or seven feet, can we cut it and we put the head in there? Or is this is a standard cat plug or is it it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not even like a cat cable if you actually take a look, it's actually like a coiled cable kind of in there and stuff like that. Well, we tell people, if you need shorter feet, just get to ten foot one and then just loop it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Yeah, Jason, where you're say in the back of the radio. This is another question came in. Does this radio have a GPS jack? I didn't really see one.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't see that, Jonah.
Speaker 2: It's yes, above the microphone on the right hand side.
Speaker 1: Oh, right there. Okay, Yeah, there's a port right here that you can't see right right now, but it's looks like a three point five milimeter jack.
Speaker 2: It's a three point five milimeter jack and it does take it in the manual like what it's looking for for the data pin connections on there and everything like that on it. So we don't have a recommended GPS for it. You would just need something that can do the NMEA output of the GPS receiver. The reasoning is that some need to be power amplified GPS antennas, some are not, so it's kind of all across the board there. So that's why we give you what the pinouts we're looking for. To be perfectly honest with you, if you're using an inside at a fixed location, just at the GPS coordinates manually, and if you're using it in a mobile, I personally have never had any issues even when I've been like in downtown big city parking garages, it's always been able to get a GPS signal.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I've never had any trouble with with my five hundred getting GPS signal either. Okay, does it have Bluetooth.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, so the five to ten does not come standard with Bluetooth. If you want Bluetooth on there, then you can. To be honest with you, it kind of came down to, like, well, do we add the ASP and keep the Bluetooth or do we eliminate the blue tooth because not a lot of people use Bluetooth as much as people want to use Bluetooth or say that they use it. So it's kind of one of those things where to save some costs to kind of do some things, we just said, you know, we'll take out the Bluetooth board, but we'll keep the We'll put in the ASP board in in a lieu of it.
Speaker 1: So but you can't add it after the fact.
Speaker 2: You can add it after the fact, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay. I think that one of the questions I saw earlier was and I've heard this question before about bluetoothing a keyboard to it. So that you could type APRS messages.
Speaker 2: Nope. All the Bluetooth does is just simple audio profile.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I had a customer that messaged me this week and the saying, hey, I want to hook it up to I got like a Sony speaker or something like that on there. And if it has any sort of AD two P protocol, which is a normal protocol used by a lot of Bluetooth devices for control and syncing and everything like that on there, yes, if you have like earbuds or like whatever, you can tap the button and skip a song that kind of thing. Yeah, not going to work with it. This is a very very simple Bluetooth audio profile.
Speaker 1: Audio only okay. Okay, good to know.
Speaker 2: Yep. And Jason, I do want to correct myself on there.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Unlike its ancestor, the five hundred, the five ten only goes up to five hundred and fifty megguards as does not go nine hundred. I said that earlier. I do want to apologize for it on there. I just wanted to double check on there because I was like, oh wait a minute, no wait, there was a slight difference in there. So we'll do one o eight up to five fifty I.
Speaker 1: Want to Okay, so it does aircraft ban receive.
Speaker 2: It does aircraft ban and UHF aircraft ban so UHF mill airy air. Oh yeah, we'll also HF mill air too. So a lot of people ask that on there. I will go ahead and do that. As a matter of fact, that's why I looked up here. It will do one oaight tow one thirty seven thirty seven seventy four, one seventy four to four hundred, four hundred and four eighty and then four eighty five fifty. So therefore that one seventy four to four hundred, it will do the mill aircraft band.
Speaker 3: Gotcha listen to the aircraft band?
Speaker 2: Well listen, Yes, yes you can. You can't. Go ahead and talk to Sully.
Speaker 3: Since y'all were talking about keyboards, the text entry keyboard on screen, is that the standard keyboard you used throughout the menu systems.
Speaker 2: As in like for putting names in and everything like that. Yes, it and it is. It is a through z. It is not quirty. The reason it's not quirty is is because when we make the different versions of the radio, not everything translates in quirty around the world. I know, some people say, well Courty is the standard. Well, it might be the standard, but when you start trans laning it into you know, other languages like we have to for the radio and stuff like that, it doesn't. It's not a it's not a complete translation over. So that's why we do a to z and then you hit the button and then you can go one through zero through nine and then your symbol mother.
Speaker 3: Okay, I do like this question. We're still coming the Bluetooth ish. Is the ASY going to adopt the Bluetooth Hearing Aid standard here?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the issue with Bluetooth right now. There are technically nine different Bluetooth protocols. Yeah, and on all of the Bluetooth protocols are slightly different depending on what happens or takes place place with it. Part of those protocols also include low energy so the blue the bt L E s and stuff like that on there. It's really difficult because when you start looking at it, it's all of what does the Bluetooth access does it access audio? Does it access data? Does it access both? What kind of is? What kind of is to do it? On there? Engineers have taken a look at it and to be honest with you, it's like traveling down a path and we just came to a you know, a nine half intersection, like which one do you go down on there? And then in addition, what kind of support of hardware do you need for it to do that? We have been told by different hands that have hearing gaid issues, those kind of things like that on there that a lot of find the aess just like on the seven to ten, they can adjust the ass that if they're slight tone deaf on there with and they need the hearing gates for that, and we can do that. We've had other people that have said that there's a third party out there that can adopt a device that will kind of transmit to a t coil on there. It's a third party device, but it plugs in I don't know if plugs and speaker or plugs into the data jack on there for the speaker output. I don't know. We don't test third party devices because we would we'd have a whole division of that alone, right, But it gets difficult for us. It's not that we're insensitive to it, it's just which path do we go down?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I understand, let's see here kind of speculative, but I'm gonna agree with this one, this digital dreamer. What does the eager keep using those dang tea connectors? Can we just get power poles already?
Speaker 2: To believe it, Believe it or not, Tea connectors are more standardized across the entire world than actually power poles. They are they and it is, And you got to remember it's if you actually take a look at back in the day, we used to have a different antenna connector, and we're going way back in the day for some of our radios that we're built in different countries than than in in like the US, and stuff like that. On there, we've actually kind of standardized on there. Because what ends up happening is once you start getting different connectors, you know, it's it gets difficult because you know you're gonna do all of this one region. And I'll be honest with you, like it's easier for us to order ten thousand power chords as a T connector and know that they're going to interface not only the five to ten, but the five hundred, the three hundred, the two hundred, the one hundred, you know, every every radio almost underneath the song that we've ever made too, then if we start to get more of a different kind of thing. So that's the reason why we've stuck with the tea connectors.
Speaker 3: I just had to bring it up because I clip them off too, you know.
Speaker 1: And somebody said earlier that they said that they fail after a year or two. I was like, dude, I've got I've got T connectors on my V seventy one from like nine years ago that's still working.
Speaker 3: And be honestly, the tea connector, I haven't really had that much of an issue.
Speaker 1: I haven't had it.
Speaker 3: I've never had since that that clip and we do right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I give you that.
Speaker 3: I don't understand that they fail in a year. No, tea connectors are better longevity.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, heard the T connector. And the only reason being is in a pinch, the T connector, it's the male on the radio. So if I don't have a power cable, I can get two female spade connectors and I slide it on. Yeah, and I'm I'm I'm cooking again.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. Yeah, yep, I've never I always hesitate to cut minep I usually do an adapter. I'll do a tea connector to a power pole cable and then I'll go power pole into my And that's what I do with my truck on all my rates in my truck, I go tea connector to power pool, power pool to rig runner in my truck. I just I never have been able to bring myself to cut the tea connector off, just because if I ever go to sell that radio, maybe the person wants power pools on it, and maybe they don't. But I hate the guys that. I hate the guys that cut off the power cable in the back of the radio and leave this much wire sticking out of it. It's just bare wire and it's like, I give you that three inches long. I'm like, come on, butt.
Speaker 2: Right TwixT thing with power and.
Speaker 1: It kind of yeah, yeah, it kind of is. Yeah. I mean I love power poles. I do, but they uh, I don't know. They're they're they can pull out easily and they're not waterproof. The tea connector is not waterproof either. But you know, when I was building my battery box for the back of my truck, I use those SAE connectors because I was like, I'd love to use pourpoles but they're not waterproof. So but you've got options. That's the thing. You've got options.
Speaker 3: This is a fun question, John, What chair are you sitting in?
Speaker 2: I'm sitting This is.
Speaker 3: An excellent question.
Speaker 1: I saw that question ghost men, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know which one it is. I'm a micro micro center geek. Yeah, and I'm in my office so much. And if I could show you a disaster, even if I can't, I'm not going through. I got a green screen behind me. You don't want to see the bench, but I'm here so much. That was like an office chair would kill me after being in it for like ten hours. So I'm like, you know, yeah, I've seen these gamers on there for hours an hours. So I bought myself a gamer chair years ago and I love it absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You can buy gamer chairs at gigaparts now. They've got some really cool ones in there too. I'm like, I've almost walked out with a chair a couple of times. I'm like, I am driving home, so I could take this chair over right now, but I haven't done. I've been able to resist so far.
Speaker 2: But we'll see. Robbie needs to open up a gigabarts by me and Minneapolis and the goal there. But right, I agree, all I have is microcenter and I kind of feel like I'm gonna captain Kirk here.
Speaker 1: You know that's right. There's a good question from Smoke Signals. Go ahead with that one, Frank.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I was gonna tweak it here zos asking what's the last cigar you smoked? And I think we should do a round table on this one.
Speaker 1: I'm good with that.
Speaker 3: So let's start with John's.
Speaker 1: The lone goes first.
Speaker 2: So if anybody has follen on me, I had a horrible, horrible, horrible incident happened to me on February twentieth. My cigar cabinet control panel flipped out and it oh from seventy degrees all the way down by itself down to fifty four degrees. So it was like, oh no, oh no, because cigar mold is my my my worst worst fear, so I am plugged it. The house is nice and warm, but I finally got my new humidor in about a week ago, so that's all up and running. It's a heater and a cooler. Because I decided to live where my face hurts from the wind.
Speaker 1: Yes you do.
Speaker 2: That's another episode. So the last one I actually had was Ah, I just got it for Christmas. Oh, I can't think of it Carbot. No, I just I just literally had the other hang on, let me look it up here because I I just I posted a picture on Faithbook of me with it. Oh yeah, okay, there, but it was a I think it was a Carbot, but I'm not one hundred percent sure.
Speaker 3: John says in the chat, put drone two thousand. Nice cigar.
Speaker 1: That's a good one with that one. That's it. That's a good every day cigar.
Speaker 3: Looks that up. I will say I had a Tennessee Waltz and I smoked it with Mike when he was here over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he came up for the the Go Kit challenge. Right. So I was in I was in Jersey for the last two nights, and the first night I was there, I didn't have anything to do. That was Thursday, and so I google cigar shop and I walked because we're downtown, so everything's pretty much walking distance. I walked to a place called him Inez a cigar shop, and he's going there and it's like an old house and the front. The front rooms like a living area and nice couches and chairs. The back rooms like a kitchen area, but it's like a like a wet bar area, not really a kitchen, like a wet bar area. And that's he's got some liquor behind the thing back there. Very cool place to smoke, just plus chairs and couches every are. I had an upstairs, I didn't go up there and see what was up there. Had an outside patio, was a little cold for me, so I sat inside. He only had his own brand of cigars, so he had like six or seven or eight different sizes and Vitola's Maduro Natural Sungrown. I don't know if I asked if he made that. I said, are these your cigars? He goes, yeah, I make those, and I don't. I didn't get the impression he actually made made him. I got the impression he had them made for him, but I didn't. I didn't ask him for details. So I smoked a Maduro Torpedo. That was good. I wouldn't call it great. It's certainly not the best cigar I've ever had, but it's always fun to go to new places when you're out of town, go into a cigar shop and say, what have you got here that you know maybe isn't distributed worldwide nationwide or something. So yeah, but the ambiance of that place was excellent. If I ever go back to to Newark, which I can't imagine, why'd ever want to go back to Newark? I mean it was a Newark was okay, it was all right?
Speaker 2: Oh were you talking about?
Speaker 1: Uh? I'm gonna agree, yeah, but uh it was okay, it was all right. But yeah, if I ever go back there, I'd like to hit that cigar shop again.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't I don't have my rapper I have. I have my producer off screen here looking that up hopefully. But I will tell you my my favorite, my favorite cigar that I have now because I I coach. I coach my daughter's seventh grade volleyball team, and and of course I'm from Chicago, and people know when you think of coaching and you think of Chicago, who do you think of my did got right?
Speaker 1: Of course? Yeah? My bears, bet bears.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you my favorite cigar is actually the one that he smokes, which is a Camacho triple Maduro. And I will tell you that is a full flavored being it's a triple maduro. It is a it is at least an hour cigar because if you try to smoke it any faster, go ahead and get a cigarette. But I will tell you that that is a beautiful I love them. I buy him, I I I get him every single time, I if I if I'm short on the box, and they're so hard to get sometimes that I have to buy him by the individual stick because no one will sell the box because I saw it so quick. But it is it is a it is a six by sixty ring on there and it's a it's no tar, I mean, it's perfect. My wife got me a Deadwood Tobacco Company, uh cigar holder for me for Christmas. I'm going to try to do the screen on the screen thing here, so let's see if this will work here. But this was the this will let's see if this works here, so that without too horrible of a glare. That was the cigar I was smoking the other night. But that's the holder that I got there. And then of course I had men uh men jewel up right, because you can get I'm sorry you have.
Speaker 1: To, and you have to have the ya zu next to it. Also I was talking on the radio. I do that all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally communications and cigars is I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna ask do you still do that live stream on Mondays?
Speaker 2: I because I've gotten but yeah, I'm going to get back into it now.
Speaker 3: Okay, hopefully I think both of us will be happy to be over there, and if yeah invite us, we'll be guests with you.
Speaker 1: Cool and you need to uh, you need to set aside if you can. I know you're gonna be busy. You set aside some time at him vention. Uh, we'll be there on Wednesday, and I've got my camp site again, I've already paid for it. They give me first right to refusal every year. So if you walk out, if you well, right next to you guys, you guys are right next to Giggleharts. If you walk out that back at the back door of that building and go kind of towards there's the their hamshack over there with the big tower. We're just to the left of that. Yes, and we'll be out there smoking cigars Wednesday and Thursday night at least.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, because you're kind of like right out that back like almost hatty or the pathway that the correct pathway.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, we're like the second row. Once you get past the blacktop to the first row of r vs, we're on the second row, gotcha. So it's right there. But uh yeah, it's so we'll be out there smoking cigars this year.
Speaker 2: Because you were well, yeah, you're always you're always close to the birthplace of Papoda.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, correct, So absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Some of our friends around the YouTube sphere. Digital Rancher says he's smoking a He smoked a Java State Drew Java.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are okay, yeah, those are pretty good.
Speaker 2: Ate a box press, I will tell you this, if you really want a good one, any Drew State Javas and a box press cigar. It's weird, but I think those taste the best.
Speaker 1: I used to smoke those Rocky Totel box pressed all the time. There was this cigar shop. There used to be a cigar a chain of cigar shops around North Texas called Up and Smoke, And I guess they just there was so many different stories. I guess they got good prices on stuff because we were and they'd be on the bottom shelf, be on the bottom of the Rockettel box pressed on the bottom shelf. I'm like, what's wrong with these? They're like nothing? And I was like, man, they were like at the time, they were like six or so and bucks of stick. They were fantastic.
Speaker 3: I think is a and I miscopied his but I think he said he was also smoking a Podron four thousand, and then Mike, he said he was smoking a tendency whatsoever. Whatever Frank said.
Speaker 1: Because I gave I gotta I gotta check out the triple Maduro. I got to see if I bet they I bet they don't have that but up in Michael's. But I bet your Grapevine has it.
Speaker 3: Michaels are just finicky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you're here's the one that's a Tabok special by Drew Estate.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Can remember the exact name of it. But like I said, my my producer off the screen here, I told her, and then yeah, let me just show it this here. Here's here's the triple Maduro my finger. Yes, there's there's.
Speaker 1: The thumb right yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a it's a six sixty ring. But I mean this is this is if Yeah, this is the big Boy cigar.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a poker game cigar.
Speaker 3: This LFD has like a big cigar, like it's it's like almost like ten inches and it's a thick ring gaze. I saw that, I was like, I think I bought it once for like two hours. I'm sorry about four hours. Through four hours, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, the best, the best poker game cigar I ever had was a ur a Puente Canonis and it's about it's like eight or nine inches and it's like a fifty two or fifty four, so it's not real thick. It's a fifty I think it's a fifty four ring gauge, and but it's like eight or nine inches. But you are smoking that damn thing through the whole soul poker game. I mean it's like it's like there's a lot of times I'd go and smoke a robusto and like an hour into the poker game, I'd be like, because we'd play poker for three or four hours sometimes and I'm like, well, heck, I gotta get another cigar. But that sucker would last you through the whole game, it was, and that was good. It was good flavor on those things too. But that's a good stroke.
Speaker 3: I like smoking through one and I'm like, okay, I'm ready for another one. The majority of mine are all full body, but you're just getting different flavors, different things. Do you want to drink the same drink for five hours?
Speaker 2: This one? I joke around with my friends. Some of us we have a lounge. Well it's it's our it's our porch, right, it's our patio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I have you know, fellow emesters and stuff come buy and some of them smoke cigarettes. They joke around. They'll say like, you know, are you are you doing your fifteen cigarette cigar tonight? Because I'll smoke one of these and they'll go to or something like that on there nothing like yeah.
Speaker 3: So my dad a couple of times I was like, are you're going out to smoke? He goes, yeah, I am, and he smokes a pipe and I went out there with him and lit my cigar in like after five minutes, I'm going inside. I'm like, I literally like five minutes into cigar means I just lit this. Yeah, I'll be here for two hours. He goes have fun and he goes and side like you son of a.
Speaker 1: I like, Sam's coming here. I work at my local cigar shop to fund my radio needs. Well, you're you're a stronger man than me, because if I worked at my local cigar shop, I'd be like, Okay, my paycheck today is one hundred and fifty bucks. How many cigars can I get?
Speaker 3: Sam? Just there? Please tell me you are in one of these, you know, Hamfest areas. We can come and see you, like we will make a pilgrimage. Yeah, in one of these areas. Our cigar guy, one of them, absolutely hates it.
Speaker 1: What me?
Speaker 3: Jason sits there and talks about radios.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we talk every time.
Speaker 3: Every time he's there. I was like, coming out tonight, I need to talk to radio.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. So and Digital Rancher says, we need to set up a poker game, which is a fantastic idea.
Speaker 2: See, I have a pipe two and I do smoke a pipe sometimes, but I always go ahead and people always think I act to up at the in there because I do. Right.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I have a long stamp pipe.
Speaker 3: I have one of those long stamp gandolf pipes. I like this. Oh yeah, read this and it's it's so much fun being.
Speaker 1: Like, uh, this is great. We could talk about this for the next two hours, but we're not gonna know, so.
Speaker 2: You know, and I'll tell you this. It's it's been a good time. And I don't know how long you want to go, Jason, but I know people got speculations, people got questions. Do we want to do a couple of the hard hitting questions?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was gonna and I know you can't answer this because I already asked you this before, and someone else asked this earlier in the chat. Okay, in n Yo, you can fly down here. Don't go to O'Hare, but you know, pick another airport, fly down here. You're welcome to join us for poker. F T one X. What's the new q R P F T one x F or whatever it is ft X one F Yep, yes, f T yeah, okay, so latest latest. I want to know. My question to you, uh, maybe a month ago, I don't remember when it was was Are we going to see that at HIM vention?
Speaker 2: And in all intents and purposes, yes, we're waiting for the FCC and obviously typical Yeah, regardless of what side of defense you are on politically, I'm not turning this political thing or anything. It takes a little while. We we introduced it, you know at Tokyo Hamfair, it was under the dome because it wasn't type accepted eve over in Japan. We are waiting to do a global release on it. The reason we are waiting because people have said, well, you haven't done that in passed with other radios. Correct, But we have never we have not seen such a surge of people buying radios in other countries and then like buying them online on eBay and Ali Baba and and in places that you really question you know where they got the radio from and are bringing it here and so many people are saying, well, it's not working now, it's not this and unfortunately buy FCC law. As of manufacturer, we are we can't work on the radio because it has bands which are not legal in the US. You don't want to see that happen. We're wait for it right now. We have not had to get full FEC type accepted yet. Once again, new new political things, new everything like that, all the kind of things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We avoided a government shutdown because I will tell you if the government shutdown is gonna happen, that means things are gonna be pushed back even more, that in essence been inverted. So we're hoping to have at least a demo of it at ham Ven. If we don't have it out sooner, I will tell you this. And here's what I can tell you this. There is a modularity to it which a lot of people already saw a Tokyo ham Ven.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, people are saying, well, there's no tuner. Well, no, there's the add on tuner. Why didn't it built in? Well, not everybody wants a tuner. Well that's stupid. Well no it's not. Not everybody wants a tuner. So want a tuner? You can add one on there. You can't.
Speaker 3: If you say it there was, then they'd be like, well, why'd you have it tuner on it? It's just gonna make.
Speaker 2: It heavier, exactly. So there is a lot of modularity to it. Now, what I can tell you is this, It is going to change the way and the concept of operating. That's what I'm gonna go ahead and tell you, And that's really all I can tell you right now. Well, what what this is going to do is it's gonna foster in a It's gonna foster in a great way of operation, and I feel that this radio is going to kind of be the bridge to things on how it operates. Yes, it is HF plus two meters plus seventy centimeters on there. It is gonna be ten watts. It's not a traditional QRP. Some people say QRP is five watts less you know that kind of thing. So there is some things to it on there for operation. But you'll see when this radio comes out and as it starts to progress, you're going to be like, wow, this is this is a new concept and innovative.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you.
Speaker 3: Can't have any like juices details like we all want to know, like like price points or.
Speaker 2: We don't because by law with FCC and they crack down on this, I guarantee you they they watch it heavily on it. We cannot offer it for sale, rent lease, or distribute distribution until it is FEC type accepted. So until we have that actual document in our hands with the stamp of approval saying this is the FCC I D and it is approved, we can't even offer it for sale. That's why if you notice the dealers, the dealers are offering a pre reservation on there yes, and you put a small amount of money down to hold your place in line. And some people said, well, I'm not gonna do that because what if my money? And that's that most of the dealers let you convert it over to something else. So yes, you know that of thing. But that's why they're only taking pre registers. Now, some dealers across the world don't do the thirty five dollars. They they're not offering it, so they're putting outrageous prices. I had one person tell me it's gonna be nine thousand pounds and I'm like, wrong, right, the one on one MP is not even that much. But uh, there no contrary to internet speculation or anything, there has been no announced price yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right. I would like to see someone had mentioned this, I think shortly after that Tokyo Hamfair. I would like to see like this be like kind of a baseline model that you can add on to later, like even like put into a hundred watt amp case that you could like have and drop that into and create basically an FT seven to ten or FTDX ten out of this new radio and kind of have Oh you want to take it out for QRP. Pull it out and run away with it. You want to use it in the hamshock, drop it in there. One hundred watt's great, something like that. I'd like to see something like that.
Speaker 3: Modular connections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically like a like a QRP radio that well and in a small degree the u the Llocraft k X two was or I'm sorry, the Lcraft K two was like that. The original radio was ten and you could and everything Allocraft does as module. The original radio the kit you built was ten watts, and you can you could add one hundred white amp into it, and and then you know, you could once you added all that. I don't think you could take it apart very easily, but you know, being a small form factor and whatnot, you can easily plug and play it into. Like you could have a base and your shack and you could attach this, uh, this ten wat q RP radio to the base and then it would become one hundred watt radio or something like that. So, uh, something something like really modular like that is kind of There's been some speculator. I mean, people speculate about stuff all day long. Who knows, but I mean it's it's cool to kind of kind of see stuff like that. I am excited. I am I am excited, Yeah, like a laptop docking station. Digital Rancher says, I am excited that it appears John that that radio because I don't think I've really talked about that radio much. That radio appears to be dual display? Is that right? Okay?
Speaker 2: It is dual display, And if you read the information out there, it does say okay, dull simultaneous receive on there. So yes, there are there are some details that are out there about it right now. So what you see, what you see out there that dealers have had or that we've released, that is information that we can release that is not going to be impacted by FCC type acceptance. You have to remember, you know, when it comes there, the receiver specification, power out, those kind of things, that's what gets that hold up in there. But we were able to release, we have released information on that so far once we and I will say, it's it's kind of there's a lot of holes in it, right, you know, because we there are some things that we have to wait to get approval to fill in those gaps, and that kind of joke around it's called like Dino DNA remember in Jurassic parts like, well, whatever we couldn't fill, we kind of just filled in, right, waiting to fill the gaps in once we get that information. But definitely from what I can legally say, and.
Speaker 1: I'll just say right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because there's yes, there's not a person standing next to me watching me right now. No, you'll like it, and and definitely I'll be more happy to come on once we get it and kind of go through rundown out there. It's it's it's going to be a pre big game changing radio good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I I have one reserved and definitely want to bring you back on to talk about it once I get one in my hand. Did I know this is you know, this is kind of one of those things where it's like, hey, we would like to have it by then. But I thought I remember hearing from the Tokyo Hanfair that it was speculated to be released in Q one of this year. Is that was that the the.
Speaker 2: Correct verbage was actually the first half the first half, okay, yeah, first half. A lot of a lot of people, a lot of people thought they said, oh the first of the first of the year was like no, the first half of the year, so that you know, okay, all the way up through Ka and once again we knew because once again it's not only US, it's Japan approval, it's the UK. Well, there's a lot to it.
Speaker 1: The Tokyo Hanfair was very unique, at least I think it was unique this year because you guys, kin would and ICM all announced new radio and none of them were the same type of radio, Like ICOM has the two hundred what competition grade HF radio that sits on your desk. You guys have a really nice looking new QRP Take with You radio, and ken Wood's got the new triband VHF UHF radio. So it's like, okay, you guys coordinated this. Obviously we get one of everything that's new. And someone had said Q one during that It might have been Icon because they released theirs last month, but I was making a joke. I was like, yeah, Q one basically means March thirty first, So but I was so I was I was really really hoping to see that radio by by by Ham mention, because you know that's you're getting into like you're almost halfway through the year. In hand mentions or you're about a month away. Yeah, but yeah, be crossing our fingers to see if we can see that. Then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, like I said, we we said the first part of the year because the first half of twenty twenty five, because of once again we knew the we know the logistics of timing and trying to plan everything doesn't go as well as what we would think or we would hold. Yeah, yeah, and I'll be honest with you. Japan is you know a lot of people have asked questions about like the S version of the H version. So we were talking about letters earlier in the ar to ease the ages. You got to remember, in Japan, they go buy license class dictates the radio they can buy, not like in the US. I mean the technician can buy an h F rig, they just know not to operate it. Not in not in Japan area. Like you buy a radio, you have to buy for your license class and that means ban privileges and power privileges. Really yeah, so that's why that's why a lot of people have done that. They've bought in those radios over in the other countries and like, well it only chrances one six and on the HF bands it only puts out ten watts. You got a japan radio like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well my job no, right, uh huh, that's right, yeah, absolutely so, all right. The other popular question I heard and well, we're gonna make this the last one. We could keep John for the next two hours, but I don't want to do that. The other popular question I heard two or three people say was basically I think one person put it as a smaller version of the nine ninety one A, and someone said a replacement for the eight fifty seven basically an listen to put it in most modern terms, basically an eight ninety one sized radio with vhf uhf in it. Anything looking like that.
Speaker 2: You know, we got a lot of things in research and development right now. Because I'll even go ahead and ill address the other thing too. I thought someone's gonna ask a question about that. It's like what happened to two one hundred and three hundred. Right now, we're really reviewing a lot of our component availability, which drives a lot of our obviously researcher development on there, and we're we're waiting to see on there. Obviously, the ft X one F is going to be the next focus the big focus of the radio coming out from there. As you're seeing we're still committed to VHF U of HF. We still are committed to fusion, you know. Obviously that's why I released the five to ten. We still have a repeater program. So we have a lot of research and development, but we kind of like to do it step by step on there, because if you release too much all at one time, that's where we've noticed a lot of confusion happened. Like a good example is COVID. We released a lot of radios during COVID. You did actually cause a lot of cause a lot of confusion with people because they're like, well, wait a minute, you know, what is this radio for now? Why didn't replace this? What did it do? That kind of thing. We are committed to HF. We have the top three HF radios. Alter say the top three. There was that one that was by Flex but never came to actual market, so we kind of say we had the top three on there. But as you see our SDR technology is there, you know you're going to see this SDR technology the ft X one F. You're seeing how we're doing things with audio that no one else is doing. On there. So as I've always said, I know people hate this, but it's the truth. Good things are coming. We got a lot of stuff coming down the pipe. It's going to be a next wild ride for the next three years.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: Is there a two twenty? Is that on? Is that on the roadmap somewhere?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I'll be honest with you. We've we've talked about it internally and stuff. There's no plans for any two twenty. There's no plans for any nine hundred. And it's not just us here, it's even in the other countries. There's other bands that they are asking about that they won't do just because, let's face it's not a lot of global bands. And when you get really to a small market, it's it's very difficult. I love our customers, everybody that knows me and stuff like that that it's work with me. I love to work with you guys and everything. But you know, I've had so many people saying, yeah, I would buy it. I promise I would buy it, but I guarantee you if we came out, someone's not gonna like it. Even though they said they would buy it, they're not going to buy it. And to be honest with you. In this day and age with the market, we can't. We can't obviously, and it's not just us, right if you take a look at all the other manufacturers, we're we're not going to release mono banned radios or radios and bands that are going to be questionable on there, because then that takes time and development away from other projects on other projects that are not that could could do better, may serve a different purpose. If that makes sense for everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, makes sense, Okay, I'm not I'm not happy to hear that. I mean, I think that, uh. I know that two twenty is not used in other countries, at least I think maybe Canada. I think North America has two twenty if I'm not mistaken, but I know it's not using Europe in Japan. But at the same time, you know, it's to make sense to me to go ahead and make it two twenty radio anyway, because the USA has the biggest we're your large largest customer base. There's more hams in the USA than it is in Europe, in Japan, especially Europe, well even Japan.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, And while that that is there, it's always as interesting on how the sales aspect of it kind of goes yeah. But I'll be honest with you. We've sat and we've looked at how other companies have done two twenty, kind of look at their things, and right now, maybe it we'll get better in a couple of years and maybe we might revisit it then, But as of right now, it's one of those where it's like, yeah, it's not it's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Well it's an honest answer. Good. Del Fargas says, by a two twenty or nine hundred radio, so you can talk to nobody maybe in your area. Maybe in your area, that's true, but there is a very active nine hundred megahertz repeater system here in North Texas, and there's eight or ten to twenty repeaters that the noise floor is so low on two twenty you can basically work any of the repeaters from anywhere around the Dallas Fort Worth area. They're not real active. You can find people on there. In fact, a lot of times you keep up on repeater and people say, wow, somebody on two twenty. You come back and have our ten minute conversation with somebody. But but yeah, I mean, it's those and get I get guess what, I get comments on my videos all the time saying VHF is dead. UHF is dead, and I'm like, dude, maybe where you are that's true, that ain't true everywhere. It's very regionally dependent. There's a lot of there's a lot of simplex activity on six top five two in Huntsville, Alabama. There's a lot of repeater VHF UHF repeater activity around the Los Angeles area. There's a lot of simplex activity on six six five two and a few other bands around the Phoenix, Arizona area. So it really depends and I know I'm leaving a lot of people out. It really depends on the regional So yeah, if you guys have a dead VHF UHF area, yeah, be the solution. Key up your radios. That's why did the repeater challenge the beginning of twenty twenty five. Start talking on your repeaters and or simplex be the solution that you want to see. So all right, and soapbox down.
Speaker 2: But Jason to add to that though, too, is yeah, I can I can see things different obviously because as a manufacturer and a manufacturer of repeaters, you know you can see this and I will tell you the world has migrated, yes, a lot to like the all Star of the person or nodes and that kind of thing like that on there. But there is a starving out there. And we have heard great success stories where someone has put up a repeater and once you get that information out there about the repeater, then it goes ahead and does it. But it's not going through and I'm the president of Wisconsin Association Repeaters too. It's not through repeater listenings. It's not through repeater book. It's not through those kind of things. It's actually telling people about it and using it. Yeah, and once people are aware of it, then people will start to use it. I just think people are moved to the mindset of everything's going to be a hotspot or know that they forget that there's actual infrastructure all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Yeah. One of the things I've made some videos recently talking about Brandmeister DMR and one of the things I don't like about that network is it's made up mostly of hot spots. That's why a lot of the traffic sounds like crap, because it's I mean to build a hot spot, to build a network out of hot spots, if you have a have a choice between one hundred dollars hot spot and a two thousand dollars commercial grade repeater Yazoo, Bridge, Coom, even Motorola. Which ones do you think is going to sound better? I mean, it's not apples to apples. That's an Apple and oranges comparison. So yeah, and there's a lot more to it than that. I'm very I'm generalizing here a lot. I realized that, but yeah, totally. I totally agree about the repeater situation. Some people don't like repeaters and that's okay, But those of us who do like repeaters and think that there should be more activity on them should be the solution that we want to see on the repeater networks. So good John, I really appreciate your time tonight, buddy. I cooked you. I kept you a little bit longer than I had intended, but thanks for hanging with us. Always good to talk to you, and we will absolutely have you back on the show once yaz releases something new, maybe next week. We don't know yet, I mean, because you don't tell us until it's there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we are pretty aut it. But like I said, we got we got some good things coming on, so we're gonna We're gonna wait and then yeah, time will, time will be around. Like I said this week, I know a lot of people have even asked me this are you're okay? I haven't been able to get a hold of you last week. I've been in meetings, I've been in trainings, we've been doing one on one customer training sessions. Now is what we've actually kind of started. So it really kind of is one of those deals there. So by all means have me back on, We'll waltch or and go for.
Speaker 1: Consolutely absolutely cool man, Thanks a lot, appreciate it. Uh, you guys have a good evening, seventy three to all. We'll be back next week. I got some cool stuff to talk about next week on the live stream. Frank, do you have anything before we go.
Speaker 3: Go Kit Challenge? The Go Kit Challes video for me. It's coming out tomorrow. I'll go ahead and drop a link for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That and other than that, man, I just been busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy. So a lot of things awesome are coming down the pipe and awesome more expo and John, I have your card now, I'm coming. This is the back of the card is John's card. Hopefully I'm not showing anything I'm not supposed to. You are gonna come on to a live stream. I need to get you on and we're just gonna talk to smoke cigars. You are definitely gonna be coming on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he should be invited to your next cigar.
Speaker 3: I keep saying I wanted him, but then I'm like, send out all the invites, and I keep forgetting to come out and dig up his card because I have it sitting next to the computer. Now it's literally got it underneath the camera.
Speaker 2: So you are doing online and I'm sitting back watching mony Python.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right, all right, yeah man, So we'll do it.
Speaker 1: We'll do it. Yep, yep, alright, guys, seventy three to all. We'll talk soon. Everyone, have a good night.
Speaker 2: Bye later