Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WVS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right and Cole, thank you very much, Thursday night, getting closer to the weekend. My name is Dan Ray. Rob Brooks is back at the control room. He will set you up with telephone calls, but it's not until after nine o'clock. During the first hours tonight, we will have four interesting interviews with people who may be newsmakers, or they may be providing you with very important information in your own life. We'll get to all of that. Coming up tonight, we are going to talk with a business school professor from MIT, the Sloan School about the ten year anniversary of the Market Basket Civil War. It wasn't the Hatfields and the McCoy's, No was Demols versus Demoulis. And if all of you remember that, I think it'll be an interesting walk back tonight. Then later on tonight, we're gonna ask you the question of what would you like to ask Vice President Harris if you had an opportunity. She will be doing a little bit later on tonight, her first sit down interview since she won the Democratic presidential nomination, and there's a lot of questions that people have and let them know what your questions are and who knows what else would do if the evening goes on. But let us start off first with a piece of legislation which has just hit the books in Massachusetts, which will provide which will provide full disability benefits to first responders who are injured permanently injured in the line of duty with us. Is Mario olivera former police officer. I've actually interviewed him before. I hope he remembers me from that interview previously. But he was badly injured, badly injured in Somerville. He was a Somerville police officer, came close to dying twice, and he is now the head of an organization called the Violently Injured Police Officers Association. So let me let me welcome him back to w b Z. Hello, Mario, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Hi Dan, thanks for having me on your show.
Speaker 2: Well, you're more than welcome. Glad to have you on again. I hope you remember we've talked before and I covered the story actually of this. How are you doing. Hope you're doing well.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, your group, it's a nonprofit group called Violently Injured Police Officers, and you folks, I guess, must be very happy that Massachusetts has adopted this piece of legislation. Is this the first piece of legislation to provide full disability benefits to first responders injured in the line of duty?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 3: It's the first of it's kind in the state.
Speaker 2: First of it's kind in message House. But has has it been adopted? We are we late to the party or are we ahead of the curve? Is what I'm trying to find out.
Speaker 3: No, We're late to the party, unfortunately. So I've been successful in passing this legislation in Oklahoma, in Kentucky, and also in New Hampshire, and it's well on its way in New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we're the fourth state if if I'm accounting properly, and the governor signed this law again an Act relative to Disability Pensions and Critical Incident Stress Management for violent crimes. So for an officer or an E. M. T H to qualify for this, it has to be a violent incident, and obviously the officer has to sadly suffer from some pretty serious injuries. Uh. And if that happens before this law. What benefits would an officer in that situation have received if they had to go out on some out of a permanent disability? What what was the what was the law prior to passage of this legislation.
Speaker 3: The previous law was seventy two percent and it quotes accidental disabilities. The issue I had is when an officer is shot or stabbed or run over by a fleeing a motor vehicle driven by a suspect, how is it an accident. It's not an accident, it's a purposeful act number one. So under those circumstances in the past, an injured officer or first responder would get seventy two percent, So it didn't.
Speaker 2: Matter the circumstance, It didn't matter the circumstances in which the injury was inflicted upon the officer.
Speaker 3: Correct, there was seventy two And then there's a cap on what they can earn.
Speaker 2: If if they're able to work.
Speaker 3: If they were ever able to correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, okay, So now what this does. It would give a one disability which would be reduced at their retirement age, but it would certainly provide them with more support from the time that they might be injured. In the violent act right well through their retirement, but right up until their retirement is going to make a huge difference.
Speaker 3: Indeed, indeed, so just so.
Speaker 2: That people know what we're talking about. You you were badly injured, you were shot and you almost died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was shot six times, actually died three times in the hostel that night, and by the grace of God, was saved by doctor David King, who's the head trauma surgeon on duty that night.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's amazing. Again, this goes back to twenty ten. So we're talking about fourteen years ago, and you were shot by, as I understand that, a guy who was a trafficker, and you was shot in the chest, stomach, and arm at point blank range a total of six times. And thank God that you would transport it to a great hospital, Mass General Hospital. And this doctor David King, who was a trauma services doctor who subsequently also helped save the lives of some of the victims of the twenty thirteen marathon bombing.
Speaker 4: It is just.
Speaker 2: It's an amazing story. How long had you been on the force before refresh my recollection? How long had you had you been on the summer of the police force before this horrific event.
Speaker 3: I was on the force for about twelve years at the time of the shooting event. After I was hurt, I pushed myself well. I had a three year old son at the time and found out that my wife was pregnant to day get out of the hospital, so I had another baby on the way I didn't even know, and I went back to work for a lasted about a year. Almost a year, I suffered a major heart attack and then a stroke, all injuries that were sustained or as a consequence of the actual shooting.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you went back to work. You were paid a full salary, and that was why you felt you had to go back to work to support your family. If this law had been in place, then you probably would have been able to have retired with a full disability pension and there would have been no reason for you to go to have gone back to work.
Speaker 3: You would have had absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have personified why this piece of legislation is so important. I'm hoping that this was First of all, I have no idea why it took him so long to do this, but I'm hoping that it was passed unanimously in both the House and Senate. If it wasn't, you know, that's fine. But this, this to me, is something that should have been supported by all members of both the House and Senate and quickly signed.
Speaker 4: By the governor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm happy to I'm happy to say that it was passed unanimously in both the House and the Senate. So I thank all the law makers for you know, supporting the bill and doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: It just seems to me that a bill like this could be written, passed upon, engrossed, you know, final passage, and all of the hocus focus that goes on at the State House. It should have been passed twenty years ago or fifty years ago. And it's just too bad that they have to be police officers like yourself who suffer these horrific injuries, who in effect our living reasons why this piece of model legislation should have passed. Mario. I hope you and I hope your family are doing well, and I hope that your medical troubles and complications are in your rear view. Merrat, thanks for being with us tonight, and thanks for fighting not only for yourself, but for every police officer, every e MT. Every firefighter in the common.
Speaker 3: Off absolutely thank you for having me on the show and God bless you all.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much Mary Olivert, who is a remarkable individual, not unlike so many of the first responders in this state. When we get back, we will change topics as we do, and we're going to talk about the plight of New England Fishermen's with the CEO of the New England Fishermen's Stewardess Stewardship Association. There was a big demonstration when we talk with Jerry Lehman on the on the other side of this quick break, my name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. You'll listen to w b Z ten thirty on your AM dial. Again, I remind you if for whatever reason your your signal starts to weekend or all of a sudden you concat WBZ, you can always download the Eyehewt Radio app and just put in WBZ News Radio and you can listen to us twenty four hours, seven days a week, three hundred and sixty five days a year. We'll be back with our next guest here on this edition on the night Side News Update right after this.
Speaker 1: Now bat to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We are being joined by Jerry Lehman. He's the CEO of the New England Fishermen Stewardship Association. Jerry, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: How are you, sir, good and thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Dan, You're welcome, You're welcome. I have covered this story a little bit in many respects the plight of fishermen. It's it's much more than what we're going to talk about right now. You won that case, thank goodness, in front of the Supreme Court, so that you don't have to now pay the salaries of these federal bureaucrats who get a nice ride on your boat while you're out trying to work. And there are other issues. One that you took on last weekend. It was a fisherman flotilla which were protested out at the destroyed Vineyard wind turbine. I think all of us have seen the story about these turbines that end up malfunctioning and the blade gets in effect thrown off. This is extraordinarily dangerous to anyone who's in the water, particularly the fishermen who are out there day in and day out. Tell us about the protest and tell us why it's important to get the public behind you on this issue.
Speaker 4: Well, the public needs to know that these are very dangerous machines. Especially it's going to have direct impacts to the natural resources and the longevity of the food securities of this nation. Those blades that fell off or are pretty much invisible at night on the surface. So if commercial and recreational vessels are transit into the fishing grounds, since we're being displaced from the grounds that are besided, you know, if somebody hits that, it can cause some cause catastrophic failure to your vessel or or even put people's lives in jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How far are these wind turbines off the coast? Again, I have done some stories on these in the past, and I know that there is big money involved in these companies and a lot of lobbying by these companies to get these wind turbines in the ocean. But they must be They must be billions of dollars of capital behind them. Tell us about if you know a little bit about Vineyard Wind, is that the only company out there that actually has turbines.
Speaker 4: Operational at the moment, they're all shut down due to Bessie sure Burea safety management shut them down after the blade failure. I mean the way the blade fell off. That was twenty nine miles off shore, and that's on the southern region of the site, and that's towards Nantucket. I mean, just anybody, The shortest distance anybody came for that flotilla was a forty two nautical mile round trip. So guys took it upon themselves to not only take a day off or spend the time to go out there in protest. People are not aware of the effects that these turbines could have on the environment, changing the ecosystem in the ocean, which changes our sustainability and our food structures for feeding the US populace.
Speaker 2: Now, these turbines are run by the wind, but I assume that they have a lot of well, amongst other things, oil to keep them functioning properly. When they are functioning properly correct.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, these things have got thousands of gallons of oil and not to mention SF six gas, which is a highly toxic greenhouse gas, much worse than any carbon emission.
Speaker 2: Wow, let me tell you what sort of reception I minderstanding you had people on the shore who were there in support.
Speaker 4: Yes, we had hands across the beach on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, and we had about twenty five vessels around the southern region around the turbine, with another fifteen vessels on the north end of the site too that couldn't take the extra catnautical midl transit.
Speaker 2: How about how many turbines are out there at this point, Jerry. Again, these stories come and go and you read them, but you forget how many turbines do you have to navigate around off the coast of Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: There are sixty two turbines just going in the Vineyard wind site, and by the time they're all done with all the sites, you're going to be looking at m upwards to twelve hundred to fourteen hundred just in that region. And then we're pushing for eight golf of main lease sites, which would be an additional million acres lease to offshore wind, which could be an additional fourteen hundred turbines. It is a massive industrial scale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm assuming that the wind turbine companies are saying, oh, this would be great because we can use natural wind to power electricity. The is it worth it you're putting aside the danger that the fishing industry and the ecological damage that can be done as well. Is there a payoff for electric customers, because that's what these companies keep telling us.
Speaker 4: No. I mean, just look at New York. If you want from thirty six dollars a megawatt hour, the new purchase agreement for fixed offshore win is one hundred and fifty five dollars. And we know from their own appendixes that floating offshore wind is double the price effexed. This is not going to lower the price for anybody. And if you look at their own appendixes, it also says this does little to nothing to stop climate change.
Speaker 2: And the thing that is most interesting to me here is that these wind turbines, I have no idea how long they have been actually physically either in operation or at least in the seabed. No one from shore sees them. The companies are very smart. They have they have kept the wind turned turbines uh beyond the horizon for most people, so out of sight, out of mind. And that's why I think your demonstration on Sunday did get some publicity, and that's what I think it was important. Would you agree?
Speaker 4: Oh, I definitely agree. People need to realize that these turbines, even though you might not see them from your shores, are going to have direct impacts to the American dinner table.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It which means means that a lot of the uh, the fruit of the sea if you will, that that you folks are harvest the fish and lobsters and everything else, are gonna are going to be in shorter supply. And they also when they are at supply, they're going to be much more costly than they are right now. So this is what's next for you know, are there any of the politicians who are listening to folks. I don't want to put anybody in the spot, but any of the politicians helping you here. I thought we had pretty progressive politicians on these sorts of issues and that they would be natural allies of working fisher people.
Speaker 4: Well, we think they would start to pay attention. I mean, he's going to have direct impacts to the environment that everybody claims to protect. I mean, just in their one appendix from the Sunrise Wind Project, the pooling station talks about discharging chlorinated heated water by the millions of gallons per day with one hundred percent mortality to zoup plankton and vital plankton, which are the building blocks of our ocean. So we could be destroying our sustainability.
Speaker 2: So who has anyone in our delegation, you know, any either of the Senators, any of the members of the House stepped up and are allies with you on this or no.
Speaker 4: Congressman Van Drew out of New Jersey seems to be the biggest proponent right now of offshore wind. We've got a lot of people running right now that are opposing offshore win and some of the delegates are starting to become more aware. I think the problem is is that you know, they're not fully aware of the impacts because if you look at the reports, we haven't done proper environmental studies.
Speaker 2: So but my question, Joey was in the Massachusetts delegation, is there anyone who has said, hey, we're an ally of yours and we're going to support the fishermen and we're going to oppose Uh. Yeah, we hear everything about how they don't want to dig for oil up in the up in Alaska, and that makes people feel really good. But the impact of the wind turbines is going to be a lot more serious closer to home. Is there anyone in the Massachusetts delegation who is who's who's on your team? On your side? That's I just want to give give someone credit if they if they're being helpful.
Speaker 4: Oh, as of right now, they've been awfully quite us over New England Fisherman Stewardship Association. Uh no to really come out and just flat out said this is a bad idea. I mean, it's just a lot of green washing going on and people are just not quite aware. And that's what this campaign with a floatilla and the fishermen bringing this awareness. This is something that we already talked about multiple times to the Bureau of Motion Energy Management, and now our nightmares are coming to fruition.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Jerry, you're great spokesperson. This was effective. You can always give us a call and I might, if you'd like, have you on maybe next week and we could do an hour on this topic and take some phone calls and spend a little bit more time talking about it and maybe put a little light, a little fire into some of these politicians who should be your natural allies here.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: Really think that if you come back on and take some phone calls, it will only amplify the legitimate concerns of your organization that even Fishermen's Stewardship Association. Jerry appreciates you taking the time. Night Okay, keep up the good.
Speaker 4: Fhow oh, I appreciate it, Dan, and I'll be more than happy to come back anytime.
Speaker 2: Go talk to my producer tomorrow and we'll get you back in the next week or two, next week or so.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks Jerry, all right, thank you, good night again.
Speaker 2: Okay, we get back. We're going to talk about impersonation scams. We're going to talk with the staff attorney handling consumer protection matters for the Federal Trade Commission. Her name is Darlene Motley. This is one everyone could be subjected to imposter scams. It will be explained. Please pay attention and stay with us here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on wb Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back. We're going to talk with Darlene Motley. Darlene is a staff attorney handling consumer protection matters for the Federal Trade Commission. Darlene, thank you so much for joining us. We're going to talk about imposter scams, which I think all of us know what we're talking about. But how do we detect those and make sure that we don't fall into the scamster's trap?
Speaker 5: Sure, hi, Dan, thanks for having me on my jas are.
Speaker 2: Good, Die, I dive right into the dis Paul welcome, Welcome, Darling, Go.
Speaker 5: Ahead, no problem, we can dive right in. This is a very important subject. So imposter scams are a top four category, and this has been something that's been highly reported people are losing money to in twenty twenty three as well as the first quarter of this year. Scammers are very good at what they do, and their stories are getting more detailed. So typically they'll contact you unexpectedly and ask for money or personal information. They'll create a sense of urgency they want you to access, so you don't have time to think about what they're asking or requesting from you or talk to someone else, and they often tell you to cheat whatever the urgent issue is a secret. And they also get you to move or move your money in a specific way or send the money in a specific way. And they might pretend to be someone you know or a business you're familiar with, like Amazon, so that you think you're communicating with someone that you can trust and get you to act and send your money to them, But this is really a false call and it's a scammer trying to take your money from you.
Speaker 2: Most of these scams over the phone, or most of them you never talk to a human being and it's all over the computer, both.
Speaker 5: So it can be both ways. You might get an unexpected text message where it says click a link, and you should never click links from unknown numbers or from businesses that you're not expecting a communication from. You also might get an email that says click here. Your account has been shut down. Click here to solve the problem. Or you might get a call from someone saying that they're even from a government agency, including the STC, and your money is going to be taken from you if you don't act now, and we can transfer you to someone who works for this agency to move your money. So you can be contacted in a number of ways by scammers.
Speaker 2: Pretty fair to say that you will never be contacted. If I'm wrong here, correct me. But my understanding is you will never be contacted directly by a government agency, the I R S or the FTC that if you're going to have a problem that one of those letter agencies, whether it's the FBI or Home Effort I R S fill into the blanks, they will be contacting you by letter. Is that a good rule of thumb? And so anything you get by a telephone or by text message or by email just deleted.
Speaker 5: That's a good rule of thumb. Dan, I would agree you should. Definitely you will never receive a phone call from a government agency asking you for your Social Security number or other personal information, or telling you that you need to log into your cash you know, bank account or your savings account and move money immediately. If you receive any type of communication like that, it is a scammer and you should immediately not act or do what they're telling you to do. Instead, you can stop, take some time, talk to someone else as if you if this makes sense, or you know, use a different form of communication that you know is trusted, like your regular log into that website to check and make sure that your accounts are fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing. We have had all of these advances in your computers communication access, and all it's done is created more and more headaches for everyone. I get all the time, I guess because I fairly well known person here in the Boston area, having been in television and radio for a long long time. And I get stuff sent to my personal email, more to my personal email than my corporate email. How do they get the email addresses in the first place, Yes, I'll get something your Amazon account is overdue or whatever. I don't have an Amazon account, so it's pretty easier for me to figure out that's a scam. How do they get my email? Or they just to get everybody's email and they just send out ten million emails and they hope that twenty people respond.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: I don't know what specific routes that scammers use to get everyone's email, but unfortunately a lot of our personal information is out there, either because we shared it on social media, or we may have signed up for a legitimate business at one time, and unfortunately that information has been hacked. And so scammers have various ways of finding out personal information from people. One thing that they do is they will come social media profiles to learn basic things about a person, maybe their name, if they have family members that work for certain business, or grandchildren, and they'll use that information against you to get you to trust and trust them and build rapport so that they can eventually get you to give them a payment and take your money from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard of this.
Speaker 5: And another great thing go ahead, And another great thing people can do to actually protect themselves is to sign up for alerts at FTC dot gov slash Consumer Alerts, and this will allow people to get messages delivered to their email inbox so they can know and be aware of what the latest scams are and if they're not necessarily receiving these emails out the blue. They can also share this information with someone in their community or a family member or friend that might be receiving these types of calls and emails.
Speaker 2: My rule of thumb is always find someone thirty years younger than you and they will know what's going on and what not to take. On another matter, let me ask you this, and this is kind of one. If you can't answer it, that's fine. Is why is it that it seems that despite what a lot of the political leaders have pledged to us that they will stop us from receiving these annoying phone calls from you know, local groups and also you know corporate organizations. You know, particularly when people are trying to sit down to dinner. This seems to be just so common. Is there anything that can actually be done by the government to prevent people being inundated with these scam phone calls?
Speaker 5: Well, I can't comment on the political aspect of anything, Dan. What I can say is that the STC is working on many fronts to combat these scams. For example, the STC has a new impersonation rule that gives the agency stronger tools to combat scammers who pretend to be government agency and businesses. The SEC actually brought its first case under the impersonation rule just a few weeks ago. So this is an issue that's very important to the agency and we're trying to take action. And in addition, the main thing is this, you do have a scam and unfortunately fall victim, is to let the SEC know to report these scams to FTC dot gov slash report fraud and this will allow you to this will allow the FTC to keep track of what's out there. And I'll just repeat that link one more time. It's actually report fraud dot FTC dot gov. And if you need to file report in a different language, you can contact the agency at eight seven seven three eight two forty three fifty seven between the hours of nine am to five pm Easter in time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, one of the things that always bothers me is you get calls and the person on the other end of the line will say, I'm calling from the Police Association of America, and I know that there's no such thing as the Police Association of America. We're raising money to try to help local police departments better, uh, you know, protect you and your neighbors, and wondering if you'd be willing to make a donation. So I always ask a simple question. I'll say, oh, that's great, you can you tell me what the administrative cost are of your agency, because I know that they have like administrative costs these some of these really fraudulent groups ninety percent. So you know, they might send one hundred dollars to one police department somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma, surprise, surprise. And of course they'll answer, well, it's very difficult to tell and then no, no, tell me what percentage of my donation is actually going to go to a police agency. And oftentimes then they just hang up on you or whatever. But those are the ones I don't consider them to be scammers per se in that they'll take the one hundred dollars and they will probably send out of every one hundred dollars five dollars to you know, some police agency. I don't know if if that qualifies as a scam or just inappropriate fundraising. Where would you put something like that.
Speaker 5: Well, speaking from what I would identify that is, I to say it is a scam. At the end of the day, that caller or that person making that request is not being honest about where all of your money is going and exactly what you're what they're doing with your full donation. So scammers are professional liars and they're just telling you what they need to do to get whatever money they need from you. So I would I would put them in the same category. At the end of the day, if you're donating one hundred dollars to a pecific cause that you feel is important, then you would expect your money to go there. But if a scammer is using it or filtering funds somewhere else, then I would say that you would feel that you've been deceived and has to be used for something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Darlene, I would even sign up for I would expect that even great charities do have administrative fundraising costs. I mean, if you look at you know, whatever one you want to talk about, you know the huge ones, the Red Cross. I mean they have they have to pay salaries to people, but their administrative cost of five percent or six percent, so that if you donate one hundred dollars, you know that twenty four dollars or whatever is going to go to the cause. I get that. I have no problem with that. I'm just talking about the ones that are just you know, egregiously that take that take money from people, and they might give a few dollars of that one hundred dollars donation so that they're not you know, they're not stealing the money, but they still are scamming people. Darlene, I loved the call, and I loved your answers, and I love the fact that you would spend some time on a Thursday night trying to help people. And I thank you for joining us tonight, and we'd love to have you back. We do this five nights a week, so any night that you feel that you want to get the word out to all of New England. As a matter of fact, most of the hat the eastern half of the United States. WBZ has a big, powerful signal and we love to get good, good information out to our listeners. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan, it's been great to join you this evening, and I would love to speak with you in the future.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. We're looking forward to it. I guess was Darlene Motley talking about imposter scams. Now, when we get back, we're going to talk with a guest who has been with us a couple of times before, Julie Bulky uh. And she's going to talk about bad bosses. And I guess millennials and Gen xers are saying see you later at a much higher rate of bad bosses uh than people in my category as a baby boomer or maybe in yours. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World nights Side Studios on w b Z, the news Radio.
Speaker 2: My guess is Julie Balki. She's the president and chief career strategist of the Bulki Group. Julie, welcome back. I think this is your third time with us here on the right side.
Speaker 6: Welcome to.
Speaker 2: Yes, always, always, absolutely, but you're always charming, so it doesn't really matter. So we're talking about bad bosses who push zers and millennials to the brink, to the break of leaving. First of all, what are the characteristics in your opinion of a bad boss.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: I have had several conversations over the last few weeks with millennials and gen z about just this topic, and so I would say, inconsistent, treat each person in the department differently, so they're not predictable. So inconsistent treatment, lack of communication, not trustworthy. You share something with them and then you find out it's been shared with others, doesn't have emotional control, yells or screams, and doesn't really have their back or help develop them. I mean, those are the things that it's interesting because they keep hearing these young people, you know, my work environment's this, My work environment's that I'm said, will tell me about it, and then they start describing it, and it's every time it's bad leadership. And our leader affects our lives so much more than the other people in our lives because we are either you know, dealing with them or you know, on the receiving end of messages, communicating with them more than forty hours a week.
Speaker 2: Well, you're beholden to them. You go into the workforce and you want to make a good impression, you want to do the best job you can, and you have a boss who treat you unfairly. Why is it? I looked at this prep piece that my producer Marita gave me today and it talked about how baby boomers, of whom I'm in that generation sixty one percent of baby Boomers would leave. They would leave their job if they had a bad boss, which means thirty nine percent haven't left their job. But amongst Millennials and gen Zers and maybe even to something spell a little less under Gen X so malayis Neils and gen Zers, seventy five percent of seventy seven percent substantially more like twenty five percent more would leave. Is that because of the fact that they're younger and they they don't have as much invested in a job, and maybe they have a family that they have to support, or is it more something about the generation that they're not going to tolerate it as much as Baby Boomers have tolerated.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that's two of the things, and they all The third is they have more options. I'm also a baby boomer, so was think about about when we started our first job, it was it was a get with a good company and hang on. I mean that was kind of the advice. And you couldn't do a side hustles or technology wasn't there to find another job more easily. You really, you know, we just stayed where we were, and it was frowned upon if you left a job before like eight to ten years, and so we put up with a lot more because we just It's just it was sort of like, well, let's work, you're not supposed to enjoy it. But at the same time, you know, and I can hear boomers everywhere going, oh yeah, that's true. But at the same time, when you look at the stats on people who say that they are unhappy, disengaged, dissatisfied at work, it hovers between sixty and seventy percent, and it has for decades. So anybody who says, let's go back to the way things were, let's get these gen z to fall in line, and you know, it wasn't that great. I mean that why are you trying to send them back into the type of workforce that was not only would not work today for a lot of reasons. But it wasn't all that great because we stuck around because we had to in most cases. And like you said, there's all kinds of reasons why the younger generations are saying. You know, I know, I'm not going to put up with them. So these people that I've been talking to, so here's the counsel I give them. I say, Okay, why put together thoughts. Ye sit down with your manager and communicate what it is that you need to be successful in what you need from him or her, at least start there instead of just running off to a new job.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But you know, it's unfair almost, And I think that's good advice, but it's almost unfair because at that point you're putting the onus of adulthood on the young employee as opposed to person who should carry that burden, the person who, at some point, because they're a boss, must have come up through the rags. I don't know, it's just well.
Speaker 6: Companies don't do a good job of training people or promoting the right people. It's just assumed because you're the best engineer, you'll be the best boss. And those are two completely different jobs, and so a lot of that really falls with the organization, and they also need to act more quickly. But I've been in situations where the entire department quits complaining about the boss and the bosses boss does that they're just a bunch of whiners, Like, really.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two there's two bad bosses. There's a bad boss and another bad boss who doesn't recognize the bad boss. And that's why companies fail. And that's why and that's why companies fail. You all to tell me about this company's going out of business. This company's going out of business, and and that's that's the key. Julie. I love to have you on the show, and I really appreciate you your You're clear, and you're passionate about you do what you do. You must be a terrific boss.
Speaker 6: I am thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll do it.
Speaker 6: We'll do time number four again.
Speaker 2: Soon, absolutely, Julie. How can folks get in touch with your group if they feel that perhaps you could be of some value to them, and I'm sure they do. What's the easiest way to get in touch?
Speaker 6: The website is the Balkie Group b a u k E. Thebalkiegroup Dot com I'm on LinkedIn, but also my socials on Instagram and TikTok or.
Speaker 3: Julie on the job sounds great.
Speaker 2: Julie on the job, Well, you did the job tonight. Thanks Julie. We'll talk again in the very near future. Appreciate it. When we get back, we're going to look back ten years at the market Basket, the Dilemma of the market Basket that sprang up from the ashes like a phoenix. It is now, in my opinion, the best grocery store in New England in terms of value and in terms of service and in terms of everything. And I just wish they were more near us. We'll talk about it with a business school professor from MIT's Sloan Business School. We'll be back right after the nine o'clock news on Nightside