Speaker 1: Jesse Jackson Junior looking forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty are breaking news are the fissures, the fractions that are taking place in the Republican MAGA coalition, both in the House of Representatives and the United States Senate House of Representatives is releasing a number of discharge petitions. That is, when Democrats and Republicans come together, they can bypass the normal processes for moving legislation forward in the House of Representatives. I suspect and we'll talk about it with our very special guest host host us in this hour that these Republicans have returned to Washington from a three week break a location, They've heard from their constituents, their premiums are going up in healthcare, and they are generally miserable and disappointed in the behavior of the Congress of the United States. Our very special guest in this hour is none other than Liz King. Liz served as the Senior Director of Education Equity Program at the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, where she worked for over a decade, leading efforts to advance educational equity and advocate for policies that ensure every child has access to high quality education. Prior to her work at the Leadership Conference, she served as Senior Policy Associate for Education at the Children's Defense Fund, focusing on policy initiatives aimed at improving educational outcomes for underserved children. Liz, welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Congressman. Is always so much, so great to be here, great to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm so honored that you hear Liz. Liz, I'm my one point about the idea that these Republicans went home for a fairly extended break and they heard from their constituents, and their constituents do not like what they're seeing going into the midterms.
Speaker 2: I think absolutely what we're seeing here is the result of building your house on sand. And this is a movement that was built on the sand of prejudice and division and hatred. And not only does that corrode the personality, not only is that dangerous and damaging for the soul, but it does not pay the bills. So what we're seeing right here is exactly what Dubois told us. We are seeing the effects of this the fallacy of the wages of whiteness, and we are seeing that there is no amount of horror that you have brought to the lives of our immigrant neighbors, or fear that can be put in the lives of our trans neighbors, that will make groceries any less expensive, that will help people pay the rent, or that will help people pay for their health care. And so what I'm hoping, what I believe we're seeing is elected officials or being reminded that they need to be elected by constituents, and those constituents live in a world in which they have needs that deserve to be met, and these everyone deserves access to health care, and they have been trying to take health care away, They've been trying to make health care more expensive, and their constituents are saying, hey, look, we're tired of this. We want to be able to pay for health care. We want to make sure that our fansli taken care of. And I hope that we see within the MAGA movement this recognition that we're all going to have to come together and solve these problems that are facing everybody, because no matter your politics, you need to be able to go to the doctor. No matter your politics, you need to be able to take care of your elderly relatives and of your baby, Liz.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm finding in the three minutes that we have remaining in this segment before we come forward, that the politics of the economy are immensely local. That the Democratic talking points are obviously about inflation, about unemployment, about national memory. I hear candidates all across the country talking about the national politics, but in a real sense, these members of Congress came back to Washington and they heard from their constituents locally about eggs, about bacon, about grits, about Chitlin's, about cornbread, about the myriad of things that confront them. Am I right in suggesting that Democrats have to translate these messages into local politics so that they can be understood by the people.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, all politics is now and will always be local. I mean that is the way that people live and experience the world is what the prices are at their grocery store, you know. And we're seeing this with the president, right He keeps trying to tell people prices are coming down, but they know that that is not consistent with the reality they're experiencing. And so we're watching him lie again and again and again, And I think it's becoming clearer how much of what he says is a great, big lie. Absolutely, it's about keeping things local. It's about reminding us one another that we are living in communities together with one another, and that and that we all deserve the same kind of things, and the way that looks in every community is a little bit different.
Speaker 1: Does anyone actually believe Donald Trump goes grocery jobbing hell the carton of eggs or bacon, I mean, a man who thinks that he has a goldfinger or the gold touch. Does anyone who actually stands in the bullied pulpit of the residency of the United States, And here's Donald Trump talk about the quality and cost of living as being better under his administration than any president in the history of the United States. This, from your perspective, is that even believable?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, of course not, of course not. I mean this is an individual who doesn't know anything about the realities of everyday life. I mean, he doesn't know anything about what it is to help your third grader who's struggling to learn how to read, or help your eleventh grader who's figuring out whether or not they're going to get to go to college. He doesn't know anything about trying to make ends meet. He doesn't know anything about when there's more month than money. And I think that that is just becoming clearer and clearer all the time. People have been sold a false bill of goods, and you know, it's falling apart. This is a house built on sand. There's no there there. And I really hope what we see is people turning away and turning together, coming together in a movement that means true economic justice and shared prosperity for all of us. Absolutely, I hope that's where we're going in every community across the whole country.
Speaker 1: I think you knocked it out of the park. More month than money. I think the American people clearly understand more month than money more When we come forward on the misery index that the American people are experiencing under the MAGA movement and under the leadership of President Donald John Trump, I'm Jesse Jackson, jor Ore. A very special guest today is Liz King Moore on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty. When we come forward, Jesse for Jesse Jackson Junior Show, KBLA Talk fifteen eighty Our very special guest in this hour is none other than the incomparable Liz King. Liz, welcome forward to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Congressman, always so much fun to be in conversation with you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Would get a chance to see the bed chairman's presser.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I saw some of his statements earlier, but I didn't see the most recent presser. Now can you tell.
Speaker 1: Us more about it? Just this most recent press conference seemed to suggest that the president Department of Justice probe is really not about any malfeasans in office or fraud, but that the President of the United States is pushing back on and pressuring the Federal Reserve Board to follow his directions on interest rates without taking into consideration any of the economic indicators that the FED usually weighs in making determinations or such for such judgments. I'm wondering, Liz, you know what your thoughts are about the president, about the White House, the President's power to interfere with the FED, which is normally an organization that has a its isolated if you will insulate it from presidential interference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're seeing this weaponized prosecution and the weaponized use of DOJ all over the place, right, I mean, what is surprising here is this is a very wealthy white man and that is not the usual target of this discriminatory prosecution that comes out of this Department of Justice usually, Right, it is black women who have the courage and good sense to stand up to the president, but certainly, I mean they The irony here is we are looking at a president seek to respond to very reasonable concern among the general public that the economy is not serving their interest. Now you talked about the misery index, and I think it's a good opportunity for us to think about what are those economic measures that really do matter to people? And so I mean, obviously this is terrifying to see the idea of the president having even greater reach into the economy, that reach, which he has said so far has only had a disastrous consequence, and so sort of further influence on his part would only be worse for regular people. But it's an opportunity for us to think about what does our economy mean, what do our values mean in our economy? And what should what should people be able to expect and deserve within our economy.
Speaker 1: The misery index is an economic indicator that measures the level of economic distress in a country by combining the unemployment rate the annual rate of inflation. Developed by economist Arthur o'coon in the nineteen seventies, higher index score indicates greater economic hardship for the average citizen. The index gained prominence during the periods of stagflation or high inflation and high unemployment, and has been used in political campaigns to evaluate economic performance. Is it likely that we're going to hear more in this campaign about the idea that people are more miserable than they were four years ago? And the reason I say that is this cost. I believe a candidate against Ronald Reagan in the eighties and election, well, are you better off now than you were four years ago? Are we better off now twelve months with Donald Trump than we were just thirteen months ago?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the world is a much harder place for everybody by every measure. And I think this is an important reminder, you know, to the degree that the lass of the Mega movement is that politicians have been insufficiently responsive to economic concern, economic anxiety, and the very real way in which our economy is not working for so many people in so many communities. This is a wake up call. There should be a wake up call to everyone. I think the New York mayor's race is a really, really good reminder that there are economic ideas out there that would create a more livable society for all of us. And it is those ideas that should be coming forward. It is those ideas that should be brought to bear. But I think anybody who fell for the lie that you know, Donald Trump said, hey, look I'm going to start more wars. I'm going to make life harder for your neighbor, but it's okay because your bills will go down. That that has been shown for the lie that it truly is. The bills are going up. Life is getting harder, and this is not the way we should be living as Americans.
Speaker 1: This we have a clip that I'd like to play, and I'd like your response and your thoughts on.
Speaker 5: Speaking of suing the Trump and administration, the city of Chicago and the state of Illinois, and the state of Minnesota, and the cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis have all brought major lawsuits tonight against the Trump administration to try to stop the attack by Trump's federal agents on those states and those cities. Trump's attack on Minneapolis in particular has been absolutely chaotic and bizarre and totally incoherent, even more so in the wake of the killing of Renee Nicole Good last week by an ICE officer who last week shot her three times through her windshield and her open driver side window.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just been nuts in Minneapolis.
Speaker 5: In this one Minneapolis home, these totally out of control, heavily armed officers broke down the door and rammed their way inside as the homeowner demanded to see a warrant allowing them to enter.
Speaker 3: The Associated Press reporting.
Speaker 5: Tonight that those agents didn't have a warrant from a judge authorizing their forced entry into a private residence, but they just did it anyway, into a home with kids inside, apparently completely disregarding any applicable law.
Speaker 3: This was today in Minneapolis as well.
Speaker 5: A man named Christian Molina, US citizen, was driving south on thirty sixth Street in South Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: He says he inadvertently.
Speaker 5: Made eye contact with an ICE officer who was lurking in an alley watching cars go by. The ICE agent then chased him and literally rammed his car into mister Molina rammed his car into mister Molina's vehicle, into the rear driver's side of his car, and then demanded that mister Molina show his papers.
Speaker 3: Mister Molina is.
Speaker 5: A US citizen, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune tonight quote. As agents confronted Christian Molina, dozens of community members came outside to disrupt them.
Speaker 3: The people who responded to that.
Speaker 5: Scene included a Minneapolis City council member who told the paper that after mister Molina told the agents he knew his rights and that this was an illegal stop and he didn't need to show them anything. And after all those people poured into the street to support this guy, the agents, I kid you not, what did they do? They set off two tear gas canisters in the street and then ran away. That was their contribution to public order and safety in South Minneapolis today. Here's another standoff from this weekend. A woman in Minneapolis ordered door dash and ice apparently chased the woman doing the delivery for DoorDash, chased her into the customer's home where she was dropping off the food because she works for DoorDash. The homeowner, in a fit of righteous rage, absolutely stood her ground and told Ice that they were not coming into her home to get this woman, that they needed a warrant to do it, and if they didn't have that warrant, she was not letting them in. And she called the cops on them, and she called her neighbors, and her neighbors came out, and everybody was standing there blowing whistles and yelped.
Speaker 1: Liz, It's clear that the federal agents who ripped, who are represented by the Customs Enforcement Agency, have not been taught how to mirandize people, have ignored the Constitution of the United States. They are not reading people their rights. They are a gang in just about every municipality in the nation terrorizing people. Liz. Your initial thoughts, Liz, I think you have to unmute yourself, Liz, We've.
Speaker 2: Gotten this far without that from no. Two things I want to just uplift from this that are the good part of this right two things. One thing I heard in that clip is how many people in Minneapolis know their rights. They know what the Constitution says, and we know throughout the course of American history. It is that knowledge. It is that power of the Constitution in people's hands that has enabled them to push back, and then I think the other big piece here is the power of coalition. It is the interracial coalition that is refusing to obey that is causing, that is prompting this reaction. Is this frustration, this recognition of how transformatively powerful coalition is. But it is absolutely terrifying to watch this, to know that children are seeing this, to see this idea that a neighbor has to choose what is the safest course of action, whether to exercise their rights or not. And you know, you know, I like to take it back to the history and just going back to the Illinois and the Minnesota lawsuits. What that makes me think of is the reaction to the Fugitive Slave Act. Right, The Fugitive Slave Act was an example where states had decided they were going to respect the human dignity and the constitutional rights of their residence. They were going to outlaw slavery. And you had Southern states had a national federal law that sought to apply the requirement of enslaving to those those free states. And it was that that precipitated the Civil War. And I really hope that's not where we're going. And I don't think that's where we need to go. But we are being reminded that there are a few instances in American history where states have shown up and said no to the federal government and yes to the constitutional rights and human dignity of their people. And I am so proud of Illinois and Minnesota for what they're doing and the way that they're showing up.
Speaker 1: In your opinion, Liz, do you think and I know we have just about five minutes before we come forward for our larger break, I'm wondering if MAGA understands that in the midterm elections they are going to have to own the behavior of ICE in municipalities and in rural areas across our country. Do you think they understand that?
Speaker 2: Look, I would say, Congressman, this brings us back to the conversation we were having a while ago about the chief of staff at the White House. I think we're going to see more and more of them abdicate responsibility. They are going to do what has always happened when you have these oppressive regimes. Individual people will try and wash their hands of it. They'll try and say, oh, I didn't know. They'll try and say, oh, I didn't have anything to do with that. Or in the case of the White House Chief of Staff, they'll say, well, I had advised against that. I think we are going to see they're increasingly there is a realization they are on the wrong side of history. They will be held accountable. Not only will they be held accountable at the gates with Saint Peter, but they will be held accountable in their own lifetime for the actions that they are involved in. And I think for those who voted for this president, whatever their motivation, there is a chance in the midterms, we've all got to get out there. We've all got to shut this down. We've got to end this MAGA movement. We've got to reclaim our dignity, our values as Americans, our unity, and our civilization because that is what is being taken from us by these thugs.
Speaker 1: At some point in time, Liz, I want to shift to the international space because I think that the United States is losing significant ground in terms of its international cooperation with governments around the world. The President has now shifted his attention to Greenland, clearly isolating Europe and threatening the NATO alliance. Your initial thoughts on the possible unraveling of NATO led by the Maga movement.
Speaker 2: I mean absolutely, exporting this thuggery is terrible and what I hope we are going to see. You know, what this keeps making me think of is the way in which black leaders have historically appealed to the United Nations to intervene when the United States, the federal government or state governments were acting against the human rights of people in the United States. Now what we're seeing is an effort to export this thuggery to other countries. I think the idea nobody, the idea that anyone would walk away from the history of the twentieth century and think that war is a good idea and we should do more of that. I mean, it is the United Nations. You know. The beginning we saw of this was the dismantling of USAID, the dismantling of the United States role as a moral leader in helping to meet the needs of people in countries who are facing the most challenging situations a human being can ever be in. And that is a self interested move by the United States to prevent starvation and to ensure that people's human needs are being met, as well as a moral responsibility. I mean, this nuggery we're seeing on the global stage. It's embarrassing and it is dangerous, and it is going to make the world and the country less safe for all of us.
Speaker 1: I heard one of the most outrageous press conferences I ever heard this week as well, when Stephen Miller exited the White House and essentially said that might makes right and that the United States is under an obligation in this space to exercise its mighty, full military power to enforce its will on governments in our hemisphere and around the world. Obviously, that is deeply that is deeply troubling, and there is there is a day of reckoning that is coming to the United States for this behavior.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the Stephen Miller Laban's realm agenda is terrifying. And this is not where this is. We as a world are moving towards democracy, We're moving towards inclusion, We're moving towards peace and away from war and away from thuggishness. And I think what we're seeing here is a reaction to that. We're seeing Stephen Miller is trying to make global conquest great again. And that is not the story that we know. That is not the story that we tell. Their heroes are the villains, and I think that's what is being most important here for us to remember. They are idolizing the wrong people. They are celebrating the wrong values. We need American values of peace, equality and equal opportunity, and that is not what this agenda is about.
Speaker 1: I am more confident than ever that if Democrats and progressives are not listening to our leadership at this hour, we're going to have some profound problems. Because the opportunity is ours. We're going to have to have stopgap measures, literally take control of the House of Representatives in the midterms in order to stop the President of the United States. He already says, you're going to impeach me. They're going to impeach me. Yeah, we're going to impeach him. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. Other than Liz King on KBLA. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. Welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. Our a very special guest in this hour is none other than Liz King. Liz, welcome forward to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Congressman. Always good to be here.
Speaker 1: Liz. Please forgive me for that brief technical difficulty. Liz, I want to go back to this issue of the unraveling of MAGA. Is there anything that Trump can do surprisingly to keep the MAGA coalition together at this hour?
Speaker 2: I think that's a great question. I think that this group of people has stuck together and stuck by him despite all They've paid for it for a long time, and so I'm not sure what will happen. But what I do know is that the underlying you know, the house of sand on which this house has built, these underlying values are wildly unpopular, and that the overwhelming majority of people in this country want the opportunity to live in a multi racial democracy, to live peacefully, to have their own rights and the rights of their neighbors respected, to be able to meet their own basic needs, and live in a community in which other people's basic needs are being met. And so maybe what we're seeing now is a realization that they've been sold a false bill of goods. And maybe what we're seeing now is a more vocal opposition by the largely unheard majority here that is not represented, never has been, by the values of the so called values of the Mega Movement. And I hope what we're seeing is the beginning of the end. I think, you know, in the last several years, there have been fits and starts, and fits and starts, but there are too many who've stood by him for too long, and I really do hope that's coming to an end.
Speaker 1: Do you see anything coming together on the other side of the aisle that suggests Democrats can capitalize from the unraveling of Mega, Well.
Speaker 2: What I hope we're going to see is that politicians across the political spectrum recommit themselves to core American values of equal opportunity and non discrimination and frankly democracy. I hope what we see as a commitment to economic justice and equal opportunity. And I think the question now is whether Democrats are going to show up for that agenda. And we have seen some tremendous, courageous leadership by Democrats, and I hope we see more of that. I hope that becomes the defining central theme of the party, that when you are building your house on rock, when you are anchored, you are clear about your values, You're clear what you stand to stand for. I think it is easier to move forward, and it's easier to move forward together. And I hope we hear a lot more talk about what it means to be an American what it means to believe in our democracy.
Speaker 1: When we think about the Mamdani race, the New Jersey race, the Virginia race, and so of the subsequent campaigns that have taken place, there does seem to be more interest on the progressive center left side of the political ledger in engaging primary elections as well as general elections than normal. Do you agree with that, Liz.
Speaker 2: I think what we're seeing is it's a very very challenging time in our country, and so a bunch of people are putting forward a bunch of different ideas. And what I am feeling most encouraged about is the times when we see that the democracy still works. The democracy is still functioning. And what I hope is that we hear messages from every candidate that reflect a commitment to democracy, equal opportunity, and economic justice. You know, whether that comes in the form of primaries or general elections, or however it plays out. I want to see every candidate running for office tell us how they will commit to constitutional rights, how they will ensure that everyone's life gets a little bit better. I think that's going to be the real question. Wether that takes primary challenges or only happens in the general. Those contrasts who's with us and who's against us? I think is going to be really important, because we the American people, deserve better. We deserve better than what's happening right now, and I hope we see public officials coming forward with a commitment to offer a better vision and a better way forward, you.
Speaker 1: Know, speaking of better vision. What I'm learning and what I'm hearing and what I understand is everyone is running against Donald Trump. I get that, but not many people are distinguishing themselves within the democratic process of what it is that they stand for. What is the alternative to Project twenty twenty five. What are we going to undo that Trump has made a disaster out of What are the problems that have to be solved as a result of a democratic victory? And I'm not quite clear on that. I know that in large measure, the Affordable Care Act is a big, big piece of that. But I'm not hearing from Democrats a comprehensive agenda to return the federal government to some sense of normalcy, given that Donald Trump has taken a sledgehammer to the entire idea.
Speaker 2: Of a federal Yeah, what I hope we see is the civil and human rights community coming together and leading us forward to the next chapter. And that I hope we see elected officials falling in line behind that vision. And this is a vision the civil and human rights community has been advocating for for more than one hundred years, because we know, even before the destruction and the burning down of the Trump administration, our government was not doing enough for all of us. Our government was not doing enough to ensure a level playing field and that everyone had a fair chance. And so what I hope we see as politicians lining up, joining hand in hand with communities to say, we are now committing ourselves to an affirmive vision of the future that is about equal opportunity, that is about everyone having a chance to get ahead, about everyone having their needs met and living peaceably side by side with diverse neighbors and diverse neighborhoods. And I hope we see that. I hope we see politicians lining up, and I expect to see the leadership coming from the civil and human rights community as it always has to paint a path forward. I mean, really, this is the conscience of the nation we're talking about, and now is about time for us to have some conscience.
Speaker 1: Liz, I wanted to broach the subject matter in the final segment of our show, but it might as well broach it now. What happened to Renee Good is a turning moment, a turning point. I believe in the American people's understanding of the cruelty of the Trump administration, the quick response, the lack of an investigation. Christy Nome, as well as the president and vice presidents statements with respect to what we obviously saw on the video not an attempt to hurt an ICE agent, just the attempt of a mother of a spouse to move on with her day. Your thoughts on Christino, I'm sorry your thoughts on Renee Good.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this is just such an awful moment for the country. And I think you know, I what immediately came to my to mind for me was Goodwin, Chorner, and Cheney, and that was the three voting rights workers who were lynched in Mississippi. And it was just an awful, awful point in the civil rights movement. And I think, you know, part of part of what we have to keep in mind, there was a reminder that we cannot we cannot be more outraged by violence against white people than we are by violence against black and brown people. But what I think we're seeing here is a call to action for everyone in every community to show up with their neighbors, to show up in unity and love and respect, a commitment to our constitutional American values of equal opportunity. It's just horrific. It is horrific what happened. She deserved to go home and be with her child that day. That's what everyone deserves every day. They don't deserve to be kidnapped off the street. They don't I don't deserve to be roughed up by these thugs who call themselves law enforcement. They deserve better than that. We all deserve better than what is happening right now.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. You're listening to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on k BLA Talk fifteen eighty. We have this king on Tenacious Tuesday. She is a regular contributor on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. And I am particularly excited that that her mind, that her spirit and her body is here with us on every other Tuesday. Because of the extraordinary contribution that she makes and keeps us informed in Washington, d C. What's taking place in our country and our world. More on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. When we came come forward on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty, I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. Welcome forward to the Jesse Garrison. Our very special guest in this hour is none other than Liz King. Liz, welcome forward to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Congressman. Always great to.
Speaker 3: Be here, Liz.
Speaker 1: Let's stay on the national stage for just a moment. The first president ever the bomb eight country in less than a year, and I'm deeply concerned about the unrest that is taking place in Iran and just how destabilizing that could ultimately be.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts, listen, I think what we're seeing is that the demand of people to be free, to be to feed their children, to have security, to have safety, to have freedom, to have opportunity, transcends time and place, and I think we're seeing that in Iran. Now, we're seeing the people of Iran are showing up and pushing back against the conditions they've been subjected to for far too long. I think we're seeing that, you know, we saw that in the Arab Spring we have seen that in Hungary and the resistance to the anti LGBTQ movement in Hungary in the way in which the Hungarian people have pushed back against that, and I think we are being reminded of the insistence, the persistence, the determination of people to be free in all places. And I think that that comes back here too. What we are seeing is people walking away from the MAGA movement, people realizing that this is a movement that is about control and oppression. It's about making life harder, not easier. It's about taking away and making the rich richer and the poor poorer. And I think we're being reminded that we are one people on this planet and what we want as human beings. I mean, this is the language of human rights, that what we want as human beings transcends our time and place. And what I hope for is that there will be an opportunity. You know, there's that quote.
Speaker 4: That that JFK always use.
Speaker 2: You know, when you make nonviolent resistance impossible, you make violent revolution inevitable. And what I hope we see is a nonviolent transition to democracy across the globe, including in our own country.
Speaker 1: I couldn't I couldn't agree more that the movement, the winds of change are moving throughout societies around our country and around our world. The people are pushing back. They are fighting back against authoritarianism in Iran, they are fighting back against authoritarianism around the world, and even what might have been meant or bad by Donald Trump in some areas, it's turning out for good because the people are beginning to express themselves and rise up and take responsibility for their own lives and for their own actions. I should share with you that, given all that the Middle East has been through since October seventh, a destabilized Iran will also play very well into the hands of the Israelis. Your thoughts on this critical issue, Liz.
Speaker 2: I think what we're seeing is that the determination what you know, what King told us, is that peace is not merely the absence of tension, is the presence of justice, and that people will never people will only live with injustice for but so long. And we need to create conditions that enable people to elect their leaders to determine their own future. We need to create a scenario you know, in which you know, freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. We need to be in a situation in which people can be hopeful and have a future and they can turn away from violence. More violence, more killing is terrifying. It is terrifying in any place, and certainly the Middle East is a region that has had far more than its fair share of violence and oppression for far too long. These are people entitled to self determination and equal opportunity, the same as people in every corner of the globe. And what I hope we see is a transition to a United States government that is a friend.
Speaker 1: Can you offer us a word of hope?
Speaker 2: I think what we're being told right now is in a world with Christy Noman, Donald Trump, be good. Every day every one of us has the opportunity to show up for our neighbors, to straighten our own backs, to be a force for good, for peace, for justice and equal opportunity. And I think that is what we are all called to do, is to be good.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been reading Beyond Vietnam, a speech that Martin Luther King delivered in nineteen sixty seven, and I think this revolutionary revolution of values that doctor King talked about in that speech, as we turned the corner towards his ninety seventh birthday on January fifteenth. I'm reminded that he said that young black men in the ghettos and neighborhoods of our nation had come up to him and they had said, doctor King, you're asking us to be nonviolent, but what about Vietnam? And Doctor King said it essentially froze him in his steps. He said that he knew at that moment that he could no longer speak with integrity on the question of nonviolence without commenting on the greatest purveyor of violence in the world, the US government. And this was in nineteen sixty seven. And if there's ever been a case for just how violent, overtly and covertly the United States government can truly be, of course the great tragedy being in the name of the American people, which means that whatever the US government does, it means that Liz King and I and those of you within listening range of my voice, wherever we travel in the world, the perception is that we condone the behavior of the United States. And that's why these militias are now showing up in Venezuela looking for American citizens and looking for Americans, because the world that we live in today is a lot less safe as a result of the idea that we've not given thought to the end that we seek, knowing full well that how we behave on the international stage has impacts for Americans abroad, Americans at home, and Americans all over our world in a real sense, Martin Luther King Junior. Liz was absolutely right that we find ourselves trapped in an inescapable bond of mutuality. What makes Liz King the very best that she can be also makes me the very best that I can be. And when I'm at my very best, Liz King can also be at her very best. And therefore, when we turn to each other and not on each other, we bring people together and we thrive together. Liz, I'm so grateful that you joined us for this hour on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show, indeed your show on Tenacious Tuesdays. Thank you for being with us, Liz, Thank.
Speaker 2: You so much. Congressman, can't wait for next time.
Speaker 1: I can't wait as well. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. You're on the Jay Lunch Club Jesse Jackson Junior on Tenacious Tuesdays with Liz King and up next of course, none other than the Great Attorney Barbara arnwot More on KBLA talk fifteen to eighty. When we come forward right here, I'm Jesse Jackson. Welcome to Jesse Jackson Junior Show. Listening to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on tenacious Tuesday. And I was thinking and reflecting upon our conversation with Liz King. And I was also reflecting upon a speech that Martin Luther King Junior delivered on April fourth, nineteen sixty seven, at Manhattan's Riverside Church. And in this moment, I'm saying to myself self, is it a time to break our silence? Is it a time to break our silence? The title of the speech that Martin Luther King Junior delivered on that occasion beyond Vietnam, A time to break Silence. Doctor King gave considerable reflection to the idea that clergymen politicians in nineteen sixty seven, many of them were running for office, particularly the politicians. There was a nineteen sixty eight presidential election year. Clergymen were joining the Democrats, and some were exercising their rights supporting candidates for president of the United States. It would be in that context, of course, at the democratic nomination or through the democratic nomination process, that Bobby Kennedy would lose his life at the hands of Sir Hann Sir Han and Doctor King a few short months later, would lose his life after Bobby Kennedy. Before Bobby Kennedy had lost his life, remember, Bobby Kennedy broke the news that Martin Luther King Junior had been assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. So it was a season of death and Martin Luther King Junior in April, about a year or so before he died, he began raising this question that we have to break our silence, and for his position on the Vietnam War, he was criticized by black clergymen, by black elected officials, who Doctor King talks about in the speech by saying that during a time of war, it is very difficult to not be supportive of your own nation. Doctor King says that heightened senses of patriotism are a factor in national support for our sons and daughters that we have sent as a nation into harm's way. I say that with a caveat when the Congress of the United States that being authorizes a war on behalf of their constituents and on behalf of the American people. The heat and the pressure has come from the people to their representatives for the need to go to war. But unilateral actions by a sovereign, from my perspective, are not the same. And so the moment is propitious for us to be able to break our silence that our men and women, that our weapons are being used without the authorization of the Congress of the United States, that our men and women are in harm's way, and our children, that this is not activity that has been authorized by Congress nor supported by the American people. Therefore, immediately leaving before us the question, at what point in time is it a time for us to break our silence? That the activities themselves in Greenland, in Venezuela, the threats in Colombia, the threats to Cubans launching rockets into Nigeria, the role of the United States is undoubtedly playing in Iran, the security for Palestinians, and the security for Israelis in the Middle East. The question is at what point in time are we going to break our silence? And so I've been struggling. Just before I bring our tenacious guest, Barbara Arnweine into the program, probably at the next break. I've been struggling with this idea that beyond Vietnam needs to be upgraded to include something like beyond Venezuela. What kind of world in our silence are we building and what message are we sending to progressive movements around the world when we are silent? Is it that we are frozen by the behavior of the United States of America that we could have never imagined that a president would seek to shape the entire world order unilaterally. He told us this is what he was going to do, and no one wants to say, I told you so, But we did tell you so. Kamala told us so. Remember back when Democrats were squabbling over who should succeed Joe Biden. Lest should we forget just about a year and a half ago, we had a Democratic national convention where who would lead the Democratic Party was a factor in the national conversation, not fully appreciating all that was at stake. If last November Donald Trump was elected President of the United States, a time to break our silence. I have read as high as seventeen percent of the black mail vote in the last election went to Donald Trump and today, only six percent of African American men find favor with Donald Trump. There is evidence on the horizon that the time to break our silence is upon us, and I want us to reflect some point in time during the course of this week, before the official birthday celebration of Martin Luther King Junior, maybe on Johnny Max's Show and the World House, not just about beyond Vietnam, but beyond Venezuela. What is the revolution of values that we must go through as a nation in order to build a beloved community. I'm Jesse Jackson Junior. You're listening to Tenacious Tuesday on Tuesdays on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty. When we come forward, Barbara Arnwine will join us our most tenacious guest. More when we come forward on KLA I'm Jesse Jackson. Welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. And before I bring on our very special guest, I want to give a shout out to the sisters of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority on the occasion of their founder day. Extraordinary sorority founded in nineteen thirteen, very productive and important organization within the African American community of professional women, Happy Founders Day. Our very special guest in this hour is none other than Tenacious contributor Attorney Barbara Arnwine, President and founder of the Transformative Justice Coalition, Internationally renowned for contributions on critical justice issues, including the passage of the landmark Civil Rights Act of nineteen ninety one and the two thousand and six reauthorization of provisions of the Voting Rights Act. Barbara, Welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show and Tenacious Tuesdays your muted Barbara.
Speaker 4: It's great to be here. Thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Me, Barbara. I was sharing just before you came on the program that Martin Luther King Junior preached at Riverside Church Beyond Vietnam A time to break silence? Barbara, Is this the time to break our silence?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? And I want to commend the millions of people who jumped into the streets this last weekend. They were in the streets on the ninth, They were in the streets on the tenth, They were in the streets a lot on the eleventh, you know, protesting ice, protesting the invasion of Venezuela, the threats against these other nations protesting, and I want to command every person because it was called out there. I'm sorry, y'all. It was cold in Minneapolis, it was cold even in DC. But people showed up anyway because they were that angered, that distressed by our nation and the actions that have been taken by this Trump administration. Folks, mark your calendars down January the twentieth, the day after MLK Day. Nationally, January the twentieth is the nationwide walk out on Fascism. It is the first anniversary of the Trump administration, and it is a protest of all the unconstitutional, vicious, and evil deeds that this administration has done. And we're asking everyone to please take to the streets, walk out of your job, walk out of your school, walk out of whatever you're doing. At two o'clock PM Eastern. Two o'clock pm Eastern, we're asking people to leave your places of employment from and we're having a two hour walk out from two until four, and if you want to go longer, start earlier in the early later. Fantastic. You can get a lot of information by about this walkout from the Women's March from Dcproject dot org and I will give even more contacts as we talk. But it's critical that we the people continue to show our opposition to this nonsense. I mean, think about this, most of us. You know, a lot of people just became aware of Renee you know, Nicole good because of her vicious murder that was caught on video. Thank God for the people who video. Keep on video in people, keep on video. Please please don't ever stop doing that, because it's the only way we can refute the lies of the government and the lies of officials. We need you to keep doing that. But when people became aware of Renee Good, Goods slave and saw the lies that were told by Christy Nolan, I mean, just straight up lies. But that's what fashionsts do. They lie, and that's what this administration has done. It lies every day. I said that if they couldn't if they couldn't lie, they wouldn't be able to talk. That's how bad their lying is. I'm serious. And they they I mean they, I mean, they would have nothing to say because all they do is lie. And I think that the great thing here is that people were able to see it for themselves and from all the different angles, uh, you know, and we're able to see it for themselves, and they heard that comment that Trump dvanced and nobody else will talk about uh. And that is the comment at the after he shot her, that F and B word that he said, come on now, No, I made.
Speaker 2: Him say that that's correct.
Speaker 4: He was under note threat, had already killed the poor woman, her car had already crashed, and he's up there celebrating, said F and B. Well, but I mean, come on, father.
Speaker 1: I've never seen government of for and by the people more tone deaf to the needs, to the marches, to the way in which dissent is being expressed about their behavior, quite like I've seen in the last eleven almost twelve months of the Trump administration. Is it your opinion that if the branches of government were more divided, that is, if Democrats regained control of Congress, that the administration may be less tone deaf. I know that there is a movement of foot impeachment articles. Some have even talked about bringing or for Secretary nome Y. There are others who have advanced impeachment articles already, including Congressman Al Green or President of the United States administration officials. Is that the key?
Speaker 4: I think, first of all, let's step back a little bit on your question, because the first issue is I don't think they are a governmant for we the people. They are a government for we the wrinch, we the all of guards, we the racist, we the uh you know, we the greedy. But they are not for we the people. I mean, he makes that clearingity all the time. He talks about blue and red states, about how he's gonna persecute the Blue states, and uh, so he's made it clear that he does not see himself as a president of all the people. He never talks about being a president of all the people. In fact, every time he speaks, he's going after some divide. So mally's, some Mally's who are living in our country are are the enemy. He goes at and won't talk about all these billionaire and frosters. Come on, now, I want to talk. I mean, won't talk about you know who put asie content on the on the streets. It wasn't who you think it was. It was rich folks. Uh and they are richer because of it. None of them have gone to jail. Come on, and there's just all these realities that and and who did he uh pardon he pardoned the biggest drug lord in the history of bringing tons and tons of drugs into these United States. He doesn't care about we the people, that's the reality. He only cares about we the oliguards. He only wants to make his people richer. Why is he threatening Jerome Powell? Come on, what is Jerome Powell? The head of the Federal Reserve mad at him because he won't do what he wants to do to help, you know, benefit his rich people. Uh So, folks, this is this is terrible. We are in a Uh this is what oligarchs do. Oli Arts invade other non nations to get their rare earth minerals, their natural resources. Oligarchs, uh say, you know, put uh police in the streets and have law enforcement terrorized neighborhoods so people can be their lives can be destroyed. Oligarchs do this all because all they want and all they see is the bottom line house their money growing.
Speaker 1: You know, I find it fascinating the point that you made, and I wanted to kind of go back and unpack it for just a moment. That oxycotton, oxy codone, whatever you want to get, Yes, is a prescription medication.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And these doctors were pushing these drugs. They were dealers, and it resulted in the depths of hundreds, maybe even thousands of people, thousands of thousands, old prosecutions. None Now, fentanyl wherever it's coming from Mexico, South America, where it's disputed that it even is it is constructed there. Some have suggested that the raw materials might be there, but that it's ultimately constructed here in the United States. Yes, fentanyl, crack, cocaine, and Barbara. Also, when the crack cocaine epidemic came, we prosecuted not only crack dealers but crack addicts and we locked them up. But on the question of fentanyl, this is a health crisis, and the health crisis isn't locking up people who are addicted to fentanyl. The US government is trying to find them help and try to find help for the crack babies.
Speaker 4: And what about Iran Contra? Has everybody forgotten about Iran Contra?
Speaker 1: California, Los Angeles is real familiar with free right, free way.
Speaker 4: Hey, I mean, come on, folks, where where what was Iran country about? It was the c i A and the FBI purposefully bringing drugs, cocaine and crack into this country, uh, purposefully so that they could run their side illegal operations the money, right, right, Come on, I mean, I mean, folks, you know, government has to be held accountable. If you don't hold government accountable, then government would run amok. Uh you know, uh, you know, ultimate absolute power corrupts this. It is corruptive, There's no doubt about it. And uh and this man wants to be a dictator and he won't have absolute power. And he is uh. Sadly, as I keep pointing out, he is not. He is not in the best mental state. And if he were competent and was this evil, it would be a problem. But it's really horrendous when you have somebody who is showing so many signs of incompetence that you have you know this, you have this, you know, horrific threat, because then there's no reason, no way to reason with him.
Speaker 1: I do want to pick back up on that. The narco traffickers, Yes, because there's an entire generation of Americans who have no appreciation of what we learned in Iran contract and that is the role of our government in cutting deals with narco traffickers to allow them to sell drugs in the United States exactly in exchange for arms and most of us and for those of us Barbara who experienced and lived through that period. Yes, it's hard for us to imagine that Narco africas that Donald Trump is assassinating and arresting don't have a story to tell about the work they've been doing with the US government.
Speaker 4: Tell many decades, Tell me and and just you know, folks, understand your congress appropriate funds too, you know, to all for all of our federal operations. And what happens is when they want to go off the book and they don't want to be responded with, they don't want to use congressional funds, federal funds, then they they did this on narco trafficking. And where did they funnel all of this cocaine and this crack cocaine and all the rest of it. Where't they send it? Black communities? Black communities.
Speaker 1: It's a dark budget. It's a black budget. It's a budget that's over at the intelligence agencies, is off budget, and it is unlimited. And the hole is so deep. Yep, you can't find an accounting process for the amount of money they spend in this space.
Speaker 4: It's all all hidden, all off. I mean, it's just a mess, folks. And that's why, you know, we have to be cynical, uh and skeptical and questioning when we hear all of these alleged, you know, concerns about drug dealing. They're not concerned about drug dealing. I mean, you know, the folks, very folks who are talking about that are slurring their words. Uh up there, you know all the time because they've been using you know what, cocaine. Come on, folks, don't fall for this.
Speaker 1: When can we expect the Clay decision. It's the Clay decisions coming down tomorrow.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I said, it's very probable. I mean it's a good sixty percent chance or more.
Speaker 1: Sometimes in the not too distant future, we'll be looking at the decision on the voting right teck.
Speaker 4: Yes, the Supreme Court has announced that they have an opinion day for tomorrow. Remember that the State of Louisiana asked for a decision by January thirteenth, and there will be a decision out on January fourteenth. And remember the way the court works is that they never said an opinion day until they actually have an opinion.
Speaker 1: To release Barbara. I'm just we're gonna do this and just a moment, I'm Jesse Jackson Jr. You're listening to KBLA Talk fifteen eighty more Barbara Arnwine when we come forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on TBLA Talk fifteen to eighty, our very special guest in this hour is our most tenacious guest, Attorney Barbara Arnwine is the founder of the Transformative Justice Coalition, And just before the break, I did have a question for Barbara about the Louisiana versus Clay decision. Barbara, before we go into a deeper unpacking of the Kalaid decision and the possibility that it will be released tomorrow, will you share with our listeners what the decision is all about.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's very likely, very possible it could be released tomorrow. The court is sitting on you know, two really big cases, Klay and the tariff case. Uh, and it's gonna be one of them for sure. Are both Uh, that's called the court rolls. So I just want everyone to know that Louisiana versus Klay is a direct threat to African American Latino Native American voting power, that it is a case that says basically that the creation of a black voting majority black voting district in response to years of racial discrimination and voting by the state of Louisiana, uh is would be that they're saying, they're arguing that it's unconstitutional and that it is a quote racial jerrymandering bandar. So wait a minute. So come on, folks. If somebody steals your car and you know who it is, and you know that they planned the theft, they carried out the theft, what do you want. You want compensation? Right, what kind of compensation do you want? You want your car. You want the value in your car and the return to your car. And so when somebody steals your vote and says that you cannot elect the choice because we have drawn the maps that only white people can be elected from these districts, then your remedy is to have a district that is constructed where blacks can possibly elect a candidate of their choice. And so that was the remedy, a remedy, It was a remedy for past discrimination. But quote non blacks, you know, fouvel lawsuits saying this is unfair to us because you know we're being denied. Uh you know, our right to UH to you know, be free of discrimination, because this means blacks get you know, certain rights, and that's unfair under the UH you know, under our view of the constitution. All of this nonsense. So it is so important for us to understand that you who do you have as Chief Justice in the United States? You got John Roberts. What has John Roberts built his career on his opposition to the Voting Rights Act. This is also a case where they're arguing that the Voting Rights Act itself created out of the shed blood of African Americans and whites and everybody else who marched for that Voting Rights Act. They're saying that that act is unconstitutional, unconstitutional. Why why, okay, everybody, get ready, why is it unconstitutional? They're saying it's unconstitutional because there's no more racial discrimination than voting.
Speaker 1: M and maybe the number one factor associated with voting is race itself. That any people step into a poll specifically looking for a certain kind of congressman, you've got it who speaks to their issues, who looks like them, who experiences the same experiences that they've experienced.
Speaker 4: Parb.
Speaker 1: We got a couple more questions around this Kalay decision. Yes, vision was the State of Louisiana said that they liked the decision to be rendered by win.
Speaker 4: January thirteenth, which would have been yesterday today, right today.
Speaker 1: So we could be looking at a decision any moment now, but certainly sometime possibly this week. If the Court has a decision, well, the.
Speaker 4: Court only the Court announces his opinion days. There's no quote surprise opinion days. They announced them advance and they have announced that the next opinion day will be tomorrow. Okay, so at ten o'clock tomorrow, all eyes will be trained on the court.
Speaker 1: So the worst two scenario if the Court strikes down Section two of the Voting Rights Act, Yes, and therefore strikes down I would assume the Cleopheels Congressional District in the State of Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Can you share with us your thoughts on the ripple effect of that decision.
Speaker 4: We don't have to think fair vote and black voters. Matters has done an amazing report that shows that we could lose as many as nineteen people of colored from the Congress, especially African American congressional officials. That we could lose one hundred and ninety one districts that have been that are drawn that are doubinly African American, and so if they go overbroad on using this, we could have that immediate effect. But worse than that, every time there's discrimination in voting, we wouldn't be able to fight it with the Voting Rights Act. People go back to nineteen sixty five. Nineteen sixty five in Alabama, they're less than five percent of all blacks were registered. Go back to Mississippi, Go back to Louisiana, go back to Georgia, Florida, all these states that South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, all these states, Kentucky, Oklahoma. Just go back to all these states. Tennessee, Oh, come on now, come on now, Missouri, you know, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Texas, Illinois, all of our districts are drawn pursuing to the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five votes.
Speaker 4: The Voting Rights Act was the most revolutionary piece of voting of civil rights legislation I repaired. It did more to accomplish its goals than any other. Fair housing Act hasn't been as successful as it should be. The Civil Rights Act. The nineteen sixty four US had a misimpact immense, but nothing has been as powerful as the Voting Rights Act. We went from at the time, I believe, help me get this right. At the time it was passed, we had like seven blacks in Congress to over sixty now, so you know, and and I'm clear when I say blacks, I mean you know, I'm counting the skin color. I ain't talking about some of this mentality that some of these folks have, but it's very telling that people hate black progress. Let's be honest. There's a lot of white supremacists. Have you guys been seeing what Elon Musk, this man they allowed, this mass murderer that they allowed to to run doge this race. Have you been seeing what he's been posting?
Speaker 1: Barbara, just plic just go ahead. I'm sorry, just before we go to Elon Musk and hiss twitter posts, I'm wondering if, given what black voters matter, that said in their report, yes, any tampering with Section two of the Voting Rights Act, we give Pam Bondy, the DOJ, the only authority to bring action in states to immediately change their maps.
Speaker 4: And you know what she's gonna do. She's already shown us the whole Texas. Uh, you know, redrawing their maps in which they wiped out you know, black political seats, all of this and you know threatening you know, Latino seats. All of this was done because Pam Bondi demanded it be done.
Speaker 1: Does that mean Barbara then that essentially this could be an all deliberate speed case, therefore throwing the twenty twenty six election into a quandary.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and I also and that's what they want. You know, they want to destroy the twenty twenty six election because they know they're going to lose it, especially when it comes to the House of Representatives, so they want to do everything they can to steal seats, blocked voters. Uh. You know, it's it's a major thing in my opinion, no matter what comes out tomorrow, if it lessens the protections of the Voting Rights Act, that's a loss. I don't care. You know, anything that that is passed to make the Voting Rights Act weaker is a loss for us. And we got to understand that. And we got to understand that the answer to that is that you don't just sit back and say, oh, well, you know, we need you to stand up and find.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson, and we come forward on fifty. I'm Jesse Jacksonjr. Welcome for or to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show. Barbara Arnwine is always on our program breaking news. We could lose nine nineteen blacks in Congress. Nineteen blacks in Congress by the end of twenty twenty six. That's a lot. I got a clip that I'd like to go to on the unraveling of Mega lay the clip.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump's party has lost control of the House of Representatives, effectively multiple discharge petitions there now moving bills without the Republican Party's permission, despite the fact that they nominally control the House. The Heritage Foundation, which brought us Project twenty twenty five. Heritage Foundation, is now imploding, with senior staffers from every department fleeing that far right organization in disgust. The Turning Point USA Conservative Movement Conference that was held this weekend was highlighted by the most famous people who spoke at that conference, all screaming insults and accusations at each other and pledging to be one another's mortal enemy.
Speaker 3: Couldn't happen to a nicer group.
Speaker 5: The President's two most high profile and ambitious allies in Congress, Marjorie Taylor Green and Alice Stephonic are now both leaving Congress and, in Stephanic's case, quitting her run for New York governor, both of them apparently storming out of the MAGA movement in disgust. And thousands of people are marching against Trump in ten degree weather in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Yes, is unraveling, Yes, in a way. Yes. You know what's interesting. They're having a lot of personality disputes, right, and they're having disputes over some policy having to do with Israel. But let's not think that they're not in agreement on destroying the Voting Rights Act. Let's don't for a minute think that they're not an agreement all white supremacy. That's not, for a minute think that they're not in agreement on making sure that people who are poor are not receiving help in assistance. Not think for a minute that somehow they're not in agreement with some of these attacks, these you know, this bombing of these other nations. Folks. You know MAGA, Marjorie Taylor Green still holds to most of her MAGA philosophies. You know, let's be very clear. It's not that they somehow have demagnetized magnetized they have. Instead, they're they're disputing priorities and they're disputing personalities. They're disputing you know, power. They're fighting over twenty twenty eight. You know, folks, everything you're watching, the destruction of Tim Walts, all this stuff is over twenty twenty eight. Don't get confused that they're already at war, you know, trying to figure out who's going to be in what positions of power for twenty twenty eight, because they're assuming that despite all of Trump's nonsense talk that he cannot run for a third term. It's about power and and who's you know, who's in what you know, position of power?
Speaker 1: Barbara, could we expect with a Kalay decision in light of your analysis of the unraveling of MEGA and the things that they are in agreement on getting Rights Act, getting rid of the Civil Rights Act?
Speaker 4: You are basically with each other.
Speaker 1: Can uh? Is there any doubt that Pam Bondi is going to look at blue states, blue cities and see the ways in which she can redraw entire states.
Speaker 4: Well, remember they start with Texas, that's a red state. So they listen. They want absolute power, absolute political dominance. They don't believe in power sharing, period. So anything they can do anywhere they can do it, they're going to do it. They're going to go after blue states, but they're going to go after districts like they did in Missouri that are held by Democrats. They're going to go up against you know, Latinos. They're gonna you know. And one thing I had missed about the whole maps is that your brother Jonathan educated me about in Texas is that they destroyed the white district that they consider too progressive, and they threw out what's Lloyd uh Duncan.
Speaker 1: And Lloyd Doggett.
Speaker 4: Yes, Lloyd Doggett. They redrew his district so that he can't win.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: So, I just want people to understand that they they don't care. This is all about raw political dominance. They don't want a Congress that can hold this man accountable. They want this man to be uh, you know, given free reign so that the next person who comes in, Uh can you know, can uh you know benefit from that voter suppression? And can you continue to do all these evil policies?
Speaker 1: Can you share with us how we may support the Transformative Justice Coalition and your work.
Speaker 4: Yes, please support us. We do this work. We can't do it without public support. We're blessed that people give money to tjc UH to do this work because we're in all these states helping to make sure that political power is achieved regard without racial discrimination. And so you can help reach us at TJ Coalition dot org. G t J Coalition dot org. UH that's who we are. We are. It's a very simple and easy donation process. So you can go there and it's going to ask you if you want to donate, So please go to TJ Coalition dot org. Help this us to do this vital critical work.
Speaker 1: Why were you were trying to make another point just before before that?
Speaker 4: Yes, I just have to give a shout out to the family of Keith Porter. You know, every I you know, I'm so upset like everyone about the outrageous, racist, misogynistic, homophobic killing of Miss Renee Nicole Good. But I'm also concerned about the fact that nobody's talking about our brothers.
Speaker 1: That's Pete Porter.
Speaker 4: Pete Porter was killed right as the we were going into the New year UH in Los Angeles, out in North ridge folks. Uh, and was slain by an off duty was something. And what he was doing is with my dad and all my uncles always did on New Year's Eve. My mom would be fussing, but they would do it anyway. They would go outside and they would shoot their guns into the air to salute the new year. A lot of black folks still do it. They do it in my neighbor here here, good here in Maryland they do it. And I'm like, oh lord, but we do it. That's the way we've done it. That's a way of celebrating the New Year. And that's all he was doing. And this guy got pissed off that this black man had the nerve to have a gun and to him, Uh, shot it into the air and confronted him and shot him dead for no reason, no good reason, no threat, no self defense, just mad, you know about a black man with a gun. So I just, you know, want his family to know that we will lift up his voice, that we're going to make sure everybody knows that Keith Porter also was killed and that he his death has not gotten the national attention it deserves. So I'm here to argue on his behalf today.
Speaker 1: What about a minute and seconds for your word of hope.
Speaker 4: Yes, January twentieth, I need you in those streets January twenty, walk out on fascist January twenty. It say to this administration, no no, no, no no and uh and I know you were laughing with you read it was the no no, no, no no they got me at and you read. Of course, the other day somebody's analysis on the whole Trump administration was they need to stop. Stop. So I'm gonna keep bringing my great analysis.
Speaker 1: Right Barbara, I'm so proud of you. Please support Barbara at the TJC Coalition dot org. TJC Coalition dot org, and also continue your support of KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. We welcome all gifts, all grants, all opportunities to keep free and independent voices right here with KBLA. I'm Jesse Jackson Jr. You're listening to the Jesse Jackson your show on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty. We've had a wonderful time in this hour with Barbara and mine. Barbara, I'll see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 4: I'll see you then and we'll be talking clearly about Klay. And also congratulations to your brother and all the members of Congress who are on their way to Minneapolis for that fill hearing on Friday.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson Juior more on KBLA. When'll we come forward