Speaker 1: Edward Jones, a veteran, a marine, expertise in the Middle East, expertise in international situations, puts it into English that Walter Sterling can actually understand. Edward Jones, Welcome to the other side of midnight. Which side do you think you're on right now?
Speaker 2: I'm on the other side right now, on the other side.
Speaker 1: You're a dimensional being. You're a multi dimensional being.
Speaker 2: That's right, I am, I said you last week, or so, I said I looking at the Middle East, I think I'm watching a fief of soccer match, but twelve nations teams on the field at the same time. This week has been that way.
Speaker 1: Have you ever noticed that when there are Muslims promoting Sharia law explaining that Sharia law is just fine, it is never a woman who says that.
Speaker 2: I've noticed that, Walter, and I noticed that men say a lot of things in the Middle East. And law is part of a religion which is actually a political system, and it has its own law and customs, and yeah, it's very different than than what we have in the West.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting. The leadership of the United Emirates has no interest in, it doesn't believe in, it doesn't support it and warns us against it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're absolutely right. They have come around in a big way on that and they're going their own way actually, and they did something last week which is really remarkable. They cut off all trade with Iran. They had to cut off you know, oil, but now they've just stopped all trading with Iran completely, and in a way, they stood up. There were the first ones to stand up to Trump's new economic pressure.
Speaker 1: You know, they owe us, the United Emirates and Saudi Arabi they kind of owe us, you favors. Edward Jones has been I got to turn on my headphones. Edward Jones has been following the situation in the Middle East with an educated eye and a sharp ear. And I'd like you to give us an update on what you think the situation is now relative to Iran, but more importantly, what is the situation in Iran relative to the price of gas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, welld right, we'd like to put the pocketbook issues up up front. They're putting the pocketbook issues. You know, gas prices right now, you know, they're holding roughly where they were last week, but regular right now yesterday with four to ten four dollars ten midside mid range, I'm sorry, four point fifty nine. The premium as hitting almost five dollars four ninety eight. These are national averages now, so they very pretty much differently in different most of the country. Diesel is at five sixty one, and our heating oil, which I've put into the mix now is a five twenty six. So there we go. But I can tell you I can spell a little bit that regular is up forty one percent since February. Mid range is up thirty seven percent, premium is up twenty nine percent, diesel is up fifty one percent, and heating oil is up forty one percent. I'm keeping my eye on diesel particularly because there's an anomaly right now. It just to explain a little bit, the six month contract price futures on diesel has actually gone down. It's down a dollar eighty eight a gallon, and that's rarely seen. I mean it's seen in the options markets, but the futures markets. But it's very prominent because right now diesel is under a lot of pressure. Five dollars and twenty six cents under a lot of pressure because diesel refining capacity in the world has really been cut down. Uh, and uh, the price all these prices reflects international market prices. So the the the Ukrainian has taken out Russian diesel refining has put pressure output pressure on these prices. Now the market, the traders are saying, uh, the the industry is going to react to this positively in a big way quickly. And the industry, the traders are looking at the industry bringing a lot of diesel refining capacity online. So the good news for everyone out there, uh, you know, pushing eighteen wheelers around the country and we're looking at the market saying the diesel is going to be going down over the next six months. So so that's that's good news there in the diesel. But you know what this is, what we're seeing here right now is I don't want to call it a war tax. That's probably a little bit too brutal, but but the cost of this war to the to the average consumer in the kitchen at the kitchen table, a home that's using obviously gas for the cars and heat for the home in the Northeast is going to be paying about five hundred to one thousand dollars a year this year, more than they paid last year. And you know that's you know, that's a premium for what's going on in the Middle East right now.
Speaker 1: Edward Jones. When diesel cars were first manufactured and sold to Americans in the early nineteen seventies, it was because diesel gas was so much cheaper. It was at the point of the price wars for gasoline. The price of gasoline became prohibitive to many people and diesel was much cheaper, and they started to manufacture diesel motor cars. How did it become more expensive than gas?
Speaker 2: Again, it's demand versus supply is what it is. And in those days you had the oil shocks which were putting heavy pressure on on on gasoline prices. So people thought they could they could shift. There's always a shift a substitute. But I think that's what happened then. But you know there's a bad thing too. People things become popular and they want to do this, they want to try something different, and that's what happened. But but diesel right now, not a lot of cars using diesel, but I keep a really close eye on it because of the uh the diesel fuel prices are transportation for consumer goods, everything in the in the supermarkets, you know, Long Island for example, is served by trucks. There's no railroad out there carrying freight, but but trucks, so so consumer prices are going to be reflected. That the higher consumer price reflected in in higher diesel. It's going to go right right to higher right to inflation.
Speaker 1: Now, Edward Jones, what do you predict as the end to the conflict with Iran? How do you think this is going to end?
Speaker 2: Right now? Walter, I have to say, I have no idea. I'm just following it, seeing how it unfolds. There's a lot of stuff going on. I did want to talk quickly about the Abraham Lincoln which has been in the news. You know, they've been what is that? What is the aircraft carrier?
Speaker 1: Aircraft carrier?
Speaker 2: There were they had a lot of trouble with you know, the talks about morale there and the ship was it I'd see for nine months and just we started to return to the US. The reason why it was out there, and Walter, I don't know, admitted this might be a scoop for you, but the im media really hasn't hasn't touched on this, and what happened was early in the war. I'm talking March right now. March second is when it started. The Iranians started bombing the heck with drone swarms and missiles. Our major base. This was the command and control base and the port for the aircraft carriers and for about the twenty ships ported there in Bahrain. They they destroyed it. Really the official Washington speak was it was degraded. Well, it wasn't degraded. It doesn't work anymore. They took it off the battle space, to use the term the military. They took it off the battlespace. Four hundred million dollars of damage to this place, the Manama Port at Bahrain where our carrier docked, and they docked there for refitting, for repairs, for importantly for R and R for the crew because Manama and Bahrain is a major major rn RS. But I mean the nightclubs there waltered. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But what they did to the ship they didn't well.
Speaker 2: They didn't do anything in the shipping. They just it had no place to go. So it stayed in the water for nine months is basically what happened. And the nearest base that could accommodate it was twenty two hundred miles which is a ten day round trip, so I couldn't really go.
Speaker 1: There, right, So we weren't abusing our navy men. They were stuck in the strait.
Speaker 2: That's right. They were stuck. And I would say that, you know, my military looking at it, I'm saying, how did this happen? Didn't they harden it, didn't they protect it, didn't they they evacuated everybody out of it. There's no one there. There's one hundred people skeletons staff there because they wanted to show that they weren't giving up the base. But the base is effectively out of commission, and this is affecting all the other ships, the twenty to thirty ships that we have there as well. So you know, I would say the Senate Home Services Committee, the House, there should be some hearings on this. I mean, you know, pull hegseth in pull up can pull exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there should be hearings as long as Senator John Kennedy is in charge of those hearings, because then it'll be very entertaining. All right, there's Edward Jones, our expert in the Middle East, giving us an update price of gas when he thinks the thing is gonna be over. It's it's a mess in Iran Edward Jones, thank you for being on the other side of midnight.