Speaker 1: Giv you brought something up a couple of weeks ago, just kind of in passing. But it's probably worth digging in deep too, because as we get closer to closer to real summer in Austin, the sun's out. Sunscreen is a big player for everybody if it's not well, they've always said it should be, but maybe it shouldn't be because a study found out seventy five percent of sunscreens aren't safe and effective, is what they say.
Speaker 2: But here's the deal.
Speaker 1: Most will prevent a sunburn, but how safe they are depends on the mix of chemicals. There's two types, mineral based and chemical based sunblocks. Mineral based is considered safer. Most spray on versions, which I don't buy you, especially the aerosol ones are really bad. Are chemical based ones to not use. Now you've seen, you know a lot about this from your daughter, right.
Speaker 2: Well, she's on the lake a lot. And then we're you know, the generation of parents that just smathered our kids in sunscreen, whereas we just got our sunburnt and moved on as kids. Right And you know, hey, I will I will say to anybody listening, do your own research, right, don't don't you know, don't just listen to a couple of ding dong DJs and make big family decisions like that. Do your own research. But what my research has led me to is that a lot of these, especially chemical based sunscreens, are more harmful for you than the sun. Wow, they are more likely to cause sun cancer. Then the sun is to cause a melanoma skin cancer. Wow, that's crazy. It's just just so much bad stuff in it. Then the mineral ones, yes, they're better, but those are the kind that you just can't You can't get rid of the creamy whiteness. No matter how much you rub it in, it goes on like really thick. Yeah, so that's a challenge. But there are some other brands out there. I've started buying one called Freaks of Nature that it was endorsed by Kelly Slater that you know s yeah, it's like I know and like and trust him. But and it's supposed to be less harmful chemicals. I was reading this one study that and again take the solve with a grain of salt, do your own research, But this one scientist was talking about how melanoma and skin cancer was not a problem until the fifties, after sunscreen was invented. Really wow. But the point is what we're putting on, so we know. Let me back up. We know a lot more about external absorption through the skin than we used to. You know, what actually gets soaked into your body from Like you've probably seen the stuff on fingernail polish, right, Tricia. How toxic it can be some perfumes. I don't want to freak everyone out, but the aluminum in your deodorant, Like, that's an easy switch. If you haven't done that, switch to an illuminum free deodorant. There's just you know, the type of shampoo you use, the body soap. I started using natural hippie hippie soap, you know, like six years ago. Yeah, a lot of a lot of the big just the big box print. There's a lot of chemicals in there, and you're just rubbing it into your skin. Yeah. I mean it's probably too little, too late for a guy like me. But you know we have daughters, right, Yeah, And she's a label reader too. She's like, oh, goh, this is bad, this is bad. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There are times that I get out of the shower and I'm like, I have now put in my mouth, Like brushing my teeth or on my body somewhere like eight things, you know what I mean, Like those are all on my body getting getting absorbed into my body, like in just in a five minute period of time.
Speaker 2: Now, if it makes you feel any better, And this is a common station I was having with my daughter, I'm like, you know, you've heard about the plastic microplastics is a big deal. You're drinking out of plastic water bottles, especially when they're hot. It's like our bodies fighting off all this crap all the time. Harsh cleaning chemicals are a big thing in your house, you know, use natural cleaning chemicals, all that stuff you're touching every countertop. Yeah, if it makes you feel any better, our bodies tackling these things and fighting them off twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Like there's an automatic built in kind of protection in your body.
Speaker 2: You're not just saying we're fighting them off. But whatever amount of it we can avoid, why not? So I'm going back to the sunscreen. What should we do?
Speaker 1: What should we look for the stuff that is mineral based or just I mean, I'm confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know offhand the names of the chemicals to avoid, but it can you can probably find a list of the ones to avoid in the I could look at your ingredients and your sunscreen.
Speaker 3: There's a website that you can go to and they have posted their top sunscreen pics for kids, for daily use and for like outdoor sports.
Speaker 4: The ones that had the least amount of chemicals in it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I'm using it less like I used to put it on. Like even if I'm just going to go to a quick hour bike ride, I'm like, man, I'll leave it off this time. If I'm going for a long time, I'll put some on.
Speaker 4: I put it on my face every day every day.
Speaker 3: I have one that I love that I put on my face, but sometimes I just I don't put it on my body.
Speaker 4: But I also have the spray ones.
Speaker 3: But if you want to check out and see which ones are have been deemed safe, you can go to EWG dot org slash sunscreen.
Speaker 2: Because you probably heard it, like in general, people's are vitamin D deficient. This was never a problem before. This is a new problem because we go video games and stuff because we're not getting in the sun. Yeahar in the sun. We're blocking everything, you know with those sunscreen and big Giant chick hats.
Speaker 3: And we were just talking about how important vitamin D is for so many functions in your body.
Speaker 4: And your brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can, It can really get you out of whack it's poses. But yeah, and a lot of people people are now and they a lot of people have since post COVID. During COVID is when they really they're vitamin D intake really shut down. So well, sunscreen is the blue lizard one? We have a good one, Tricia.
Speaker 3: Blue Lizard is the one that Landry, our daughter's pediatrician, said was a good choice for kids, for babies. So I'm going to look it up. That's the first thing I thought of. See where blue lizard lands on that list.
Speaker 2: You gave our baby cancer. I'm gonna kill you.
Speaker 4: I did not did what the doctor said to. Don't see that.
Speaker 2: Stay with us.
Speaker 1: We've got JB's got an insta got me something that he reached and recently purchased on Instagram. These are always entertaining, so we'll find out what that is. Coming up next on Austin' Davies Station three point one. JB's got something that he bought on Instagram. We call it an insta got Me. The algorithm has figured JB out and knows exactly what he wants. And JB's not afraid to throw down the credit card, click the Apple p pay and have it there the next day.
Speaker 2: What'd you get now? It's embarrassing sometimes. Although my wife shots more than I do. This one is I would highly recommend. Okay, it is called the water machine. The water machine. So my daughter is I've told you all before, she's like a label reader. She's very health conscious. And she kept going on and on out city water is so bad. And I was always like, you don't know what you're talking about, and city of Boston has great water. Shut up, come on, right, what do you mean we have good water? And she's like, no, no, there's fluoride in it, and there's all these chemicals they treat it with and it just doesn't taste great. Whatever. So she got a know it all right. This has happened many times she and she turns out to be right where I think she's kind of being loud, know it all, and I'm disregarding it, and then sure enough she's right. So I am slowly paying more and more attention to what she has to say because she is a good label reader. Anyway, she wanted one called a Burkie, and so we got her that first, and that was for her apartment. She doesn't live with us, but we I was like, you know, maybe she's maybe she's right, I should try this, And I was doing some research on it. Yes, there are a lot of chemicals in your processed city water. But I bought this thing called the water machine and it's it's it doesn't plug in, doesn't run on electricity. It's a few hundred bucks, and it's the filter will last a decade. It's it's a water tank that you set on top of your counter, like the size of like like maybe the biggest pot you have, but a little taller, like you know, not as big as a huge crawfish pot, but pretty close. So it's a big glass pot, the one I have. And then you put this other pot on top of it, and it has these tall charcoal filters that look like big cylinders and you screw them in and then you just dump the water into this. It's just at room temperature. It's not chilled or anything, which is fine, and it filters out the water and it's funny. It even it even has you do a test once you've put it all together, and you put up some water in the top and it just slow drips through these carbon cylinders. To have you test it, it has you put food coloring in the water. It all gets completely filtered out. It's like showing you, Okay, you've got to put together right if it's filtering the color. Now, I will tell you this after I've had it for probably four months now. It's like, now, if I just go over and grab a glass of tap water like I used to just to take an Adville or something, I'm just like, oh, really to night and day difference on how it it tastes, I mean, completely different and way cleaner and better.
Speaker 1: So could you could you let me ask you this, Like, let's say there was a let's say there was armageddon right and things were bad. Could you go to like town Lake and get a five gallon bucket of water and filter it through that drink?
Speaker 2: It is it? Survival?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? That's a great question because I have seen survival kits where it's a I did a thing that I did a thing with a nonprofit called well Aware when Hurricane Harvey hit and people didn't have clean drinking water. And we took these bags down there and you could literally scoop up creek water right, put this chemical in it and it would just congeal to all the junk and it would all drop to the bottom and it was completely drinkable water.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that I don't know the answer to your question on this. I don't know, but if I was desperate and had to survive, I would take my chances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely better than what just drinking out of Ladybird Lake. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which right. Hey, we have a friend that a mutual friend who drinks Lake Austin water scoops it up with his hand. Really really has he been hitting the head a lot? Our friend Steve Present, Oh, he grew up on it Lake Austin, saw his dad doing it, you know, grandfather doing it. I think, just scoop it up. He'll I've seen him do it. We're out there on a stand up paddle board and he'll just go drink fest to that, you know. Okay. One thing if you don't like the chemicals that are in the treatment of water is one thing that I can tell you it tastes exponentially better. Wow. That's that says a lot right there for a few hundred bucks. And like I said, that filter' is supposed to last a decade. It's a pretty small investment.
Speaker 1: So basically what you have left after it's gone through filter is h two and oh that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it. Right. Then you can replace just the filter part, right, so you don't have to buy the whole system again. The whole system is three hundred and.
Speaker 3: Some bucks, right, But there's literally nothing that you're drinking other than just clean water.
Speaker 2: It's cleans it. Yeah, and I've even read that you can over filter water. Like you know, you don't want to take everything out of it, everything of value, But man, I'm telling you it's awesome. How often do you have to fill up the top heart? I'm putting some in there every day, Like I just take I take the little fridge pitcher and jump it in there like a few times a day. Oh, I'd get annoyed. I mean, filling up the cure annoys me. So or you can do it the way my daughter did it. My daughter put it right next to her kitchen sink and then and then and then she just takes the long hose off of the just fills it, which is way easier, and it's called the water machine. They're very Yeah, that's the one I have. The one that she has is called Burkie. I've heard of that one. It's the same thing, but it's all stainless steel. The one I the one I have is glass and you can see exactly how much of the water. That's the only benefit. It's the same basically the same device. The only benefit is you can see how much water is in there without lifting the lid or anything. Safe water, clean water important.
Speaker 1: I worry about out with the explosion and population in the state of Texas. I worry about the water. Are we gonna have enough water to all these get it front we're going to come.
Speaker 2: I thought about that with our precious aquifer of clear water here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be a problem. It is.
Speaker 1: Let's get in the water bit. Let's start stockpiling water. Problem is storage, right.
Speaker 3: Well, you see people with those big silos next to their house collecting rain water. You could do that and pour it into the water machine.
Speaker 4: Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Ten years worth of water will give you two days worth our ten days worth of ten years worth of rain, you may have two days worth of water in this town. So, uh, that's good stuff again. It's called the water Machine. Check it out. You say it's a couple of hundred, couple three hundred dollars for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like three hundred and thirty bucks. And then I bought a little stand for it. It was like thirty bucks. Does your wife think you're crazy with all this stuff? No, because because our daughter, Like a lot of this health and wellness stuff has come from our daughter, and you know, and my wife's just along for the ride.
Speaker 4: She's she's like, why not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where It's like we've changed our habits a lot because of our daughter. And I usually jump on board second and then my wife is on board last.
Speaker 1: But she's my daughter's figuring out different ways to make brownies with chocolate bars.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding. She's in ways to make brownies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's trying to figure out that Texas Roadhouse rolls recipe.
Speaker 4: To make it at home so we always have them.
Speaker 1: I'm like girl killing to stay with us war coming up on Austin's eighties station one O three point one.
Speaker 2: And if you've listened to show, you kind.
Speaker 1: Of figured out Tricia's got a cold, black heart like kind of it's kind of cold blooded at times. But there are certain things that melt her heart, and they're very funny. The things that melter her heart and penetrate that cold black mass in the center of your.
Speaker 3: Chest, melt the ice water in my veins.
Speaker 1: Melts the ice water. And so tell everybody what those things are.
Speaker 3: I have a couple, and these will get me every time something incredibly emotional could be happening. And it I mean, I'm dry, no tears, It doesn't phaze me at all. But don't let me see a garbage man interacting with the child, because I'm out. I will start weeping on the spot. I don't and it's specifically garbage men. I don't know why garbage man interacting with children kills me.
Speaker 4: Takes me out.
Speaker 3: And then also the other thing that gets me is little pea poles like that. We're John T hats, little old pea paullmen, and John T hats shuffling around kills me every time.
Speaker 2: What about the don't the animals that.
Speaker 3: Treads unlikely unlikely species that become best friends. Yes, I can't feel like an elephant and the chicken best friends are on some reserve in Africa and I follow him on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I just saw a monkey with a pet pig on earlier, like just like earlier today, like he's this morning. I was like, oh that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But for me, I'm like, oh my god, they found each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you then your feed's just full of them, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've got to think that the garbage men are out there, like God, well they stop with these videos.
Speaker 2: I don't got time for these kids.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Every kid on the block wants to talk to me about something or bring me something, and I got a job to do.
Speaker 2: The little boy that wants to show me his jump truck, like.
Speaker 1: The one that got me was the little boy with his talka truck and his front end loader. And then the guy with the real front end loader scooped up some dirt and put it in his little Tonka truck.
Speaker 2: That one got me.
Speaker 3: Guys are so precise with their little buckets and the Tonka trucks like this big, and the buckets this big, and he perfectly fills up the back of the dump truck for the little boy, and little boy wigs out, funny.
Speaker 2: Jamie, what what things melt your heart? I get? I get emotional pretty easily. So there's a lot of them. But a couple that come to mind is like when when a teen in sports or any kind of performance does really well there and then they pan to their parents and they're all emotional.
Speaker 4: Oh god, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: You got me because I live that. You know, my daughter won a world championship at age ten and wakesurfing, and it was unexpected, but there was even though she wanted a very young age. People don't know how many countless hours we spent on the lake six days a week, four hours at a time. You know, I'd drop her off and my wife would come down to the dock and pick her up right away so they could get her homework and dinner done because it was already late because she was practicing all night. So when they win, you know, all those emotions come up, all that hard work, all that you know, bitching and screaming, and you know it's the thing people don't see, you know, that's the people don't see all the hard work.
Speaker 1: They just see the performance, right, And there's a lot of hard work involved.
Speaker 2: The other one that gets me, and you've all been there. This is gonna sound a little inappropriate, but you've done it too, so don't judge me. When someone who looks like they can't sing can really sing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, early American Idol days.
Speaker 2: Yes, Susan Boyle. Yes, when some hideous looking nonverbal talker, strange looking she either comes out there with bad English teeth or whatever, and then they open their voice and it's just angelic. It's just like he gets me and it gets us. All right, you feel we should feel bad because we completely judged that ugly person, dismissed them.
Speaker 1: Judge American Idol figured that out right with people that it's just funny.
Speaker 2: Susan Boyle shere's the chick on idol. Right, it was the first, the first to go riot, right, viral of a person who doesn't who sounds way better than they look. Right, she was the first big one I remember, Right.
Speaker 1: And then there was a guy I saw on Instagram, not a real looker, but he sounded just like Steve Perry from Journey and he could sing like crazy. So the thing that melts my heart at every time I see it, I can't help I just I will watch it over and over again is when Vince Young scored that touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched that so many times.
Speaker 1: I know what's going to happen. Yeah, I've seen it a million times.
Speaker 2: I've watched that last five minutes. Yeah, a hundred times. I have to.
Speaker 1: I just get choked up every time when Vince scores a touchdown. It's just I mean, it's twenty years later.
Speaker 2: He's not supposed to make it to that corner. You know, there's no way, you all.
Speaker 4: I got to start crying, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Only time in thirty years of friendship, that's the only time JB and I ever hugged.
Speaker 2: We were at that game. We were at the game.
Speaker 1: And I just couldn't freaking believe I was watching it and then watching it and then you know, you see all the highlights and stuff. But every time I watch it, I get a single tear runs down my face, just like the old Native American littering commercial from the seventies. From the seventies, Yeah, gets me.
Speaker 2: That. That gets me every single time. So what's your other one? Nineteen eighty hockey in the Olympics. Oh, look, do you believe in miracles? Heck?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Michael started Or it's probably something from Rocky Yeah, Rocky when, Yeah, Rocky when he what was the scene that always gets me.
Speaker 1: Oh, when Rocky tells Adrian he doesn't care if he wins or not. Remember they're laying in the bed. He's like, I don't care. I just want to No one's gone the distance with Apollo Crete and that's all I want to do.
Speaker 4: So all yours are sports related.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a dude trashing.
Speaker 2: Some of the Muhammad Ali stuff too.
Speaker 1: You know, any of the highlights from him when he was young or JB. I tell that story, JB when you met the champ in La and I wasn't there.
Speaker 2: I just said hello. I didn't bother him or anything. But yes, saw him with your own eyes. He was in the line with me at a Starbucks, just straight there in Beverly Hills. Yeah, that was he walked there. It was his neighborhood. Wow. And the people there were like, oh, yeah, he comes over here every day.
Speaker 1: And we had just Jivy and I had gone separate directions five minutes earlier, like he was going to the Starbucks. I was going somewhere else, and then we rendezvous bag He goes, dude, you're not going to believe that I ran into it the Starbucks.
Speaker 2: It was Muhammad Ali I would have freaked out, did say anything, You're I mean, I'm a fan. I think everyone's a fan, like you're way bigger fan, but he was. That was his neighborhood joint. Huh I believe So yeah, that's cool, very cool.
Speaker 1: Make sure you join us tomorrow seven until eight o'clock. If you just joined us, grab the podcast version. Search JV and Sandy on the iHeartRadio app. It's Austin's eighty station, what oh three point one