Speaker 1: You're listen Saints KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The Bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f KFI handle here. Thursday morning, April the tenth big news that we're covering the tariff wars. The President invoked those tariffs. The Dow and other markets collapsed. It went down ten percent over four days, and the markets were roiling, and the President, who said, oh no, I'm not backing down, back down. He said, okay, there'll be a ninety day pause on the tariffs that I have invoked all over the.
Speaker 1: World, and China not so much. China. There is no pause.
Speaker 2: As matter of fact, China increase or the President increased the terrorifts on China to one hundred and twenty five percent of all goods coming in or the vast majority of goods coming in. And so there's a full full scale trade war going out with China right now. They just raised their terriffs against the States products to eighty four percent, which is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: You'd think it go tit for tat all.
Speaker 2: Right, So the market came back yesterday when he announced the pause, it went up three thousand points, and now today it is down one thousand points. As of right now, the market does not like volatility, and tell me that is in volatility.
Speaker 1: Also tomorrow is ask handle anything.
Speaker 2: And this is what we do every week at eight thirty, and that is I answer questions because people ask about all of us. What's handled like, what's cobalt like, what's Tim like, what's Neil like? And so I just thought we answer where I'd answer personal questions just for fun.
Speaker 1: Hugely embarrassing for me. So here's what you do during the course of the show.
Speaker 2: You go to the iHeart app and click onto Kfi microphone in the upper right hand corner and click on that and record a question.
Speaker 1: And you got fifteen seconds.
Speaker 2: A question, not an opinion, because if you think I care about your opinion, I do not.
Speaker 1: So if you have a question, go right ahead and do it. Now.
Speaker 2: Here is a real interesting but not surprising survey. Newsweek has created a map showing the world's most hated countries and where do you think the United States came in. First of all, let me tell you about the map. It's based on the World Population Review and research that was done for this year, and I'll quote now by combining reports and public opinion surveys, from all over the globe. So this is, you know, okay, pretty comprehensive and legitimate. And who do you think the three most hated countries in.
Speaker 1: The world are?
Speaker 2: Well, China, the United States coming in second, and Russia. And why Well, for China, it's authoritarian regime, sweatshops, contribution to pollution, refusal to grant independence to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau, and its treatment of the Weiger people. Russia, we're severely restructing both personal rights and freedoms and democracy as a whole, and the war in Ukraine now against the United States.
Speaker 1: Why does the world hate us?
Speaker 2: And we're number two because of our tendency to overstep when trying to influence international events in a way that benefits the US.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's what we do.
Speaker 2: And on top of this, the culture wars are looked at all over the world as something really negative, and we're hated deep and increasingly increasingly hostile political division between liberals and conservatives. That's a quote, our love of firearms and fast food. The world hates us because of fast food. Well, maybe because there's a McDonald's or a KFC or Burger King in almost every country out there. And a perceived sense of entitlement among Americans. One of the things about Americans that people do not like is we are exceptionalists.
Speaker 1: We are better than anybody in the world.
Speaker 2: We are the most the greatest country in the world, which in many ways we are.
Speaker 3: But that's pretty broad strokes.
Speaker 2: How are we with healthcare one of the worst countries in the world, certainly in the industrialized world. How about literacy maybe number thirty. How about infant mortality maybe number forty. So when we say we're the greatest country in the world, let's be specific about it. And you know, the rest of the world doesn't do that. You go to the Scandinavian countries, which in many ways are the best country in the world.
Speaker 1: Free education.
Speaker 2: Phenomenon, minal education that people gat and it's paid for by the taxpayer.
Speaker 1: For example, I was just in Italy in Sicily.
Speaker 3: Very poor, potholes on every road.
Speaker 1: Dirty.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a lot wrong with Sicily. But let me tell you what happened. Lindsay got very ill, and she's asthmatic and she has some lung issues and she had to go to the hospital.
Speaker 1: We had to take her to.
Speaker 2: The emergency room and the emergency room is an old building, you know, it's kind of a scrubby area of town.
Speaker 1: And so she goes in and we figure, okay, you know, you know, how good can this be? Phenomenal?
Speaker 2: Doctors waited not even five minutes to go see a doctor, got a media treatment. By the way, world class equipment is as good as anything here and other major capitals. And on top of that, she needed an E and T. She needed a doctor to look at her lungs and her sinuses. So we go upstairs, walk right in and an E and T doc puts a scope down her nose and looks and says, okay, here's what you need and offer and then writes prescriptions. So on the way out, I asked the nurse, Okay, how much do I pay?
Speaker 1: Where do I pay for this? And she said, you don't pay. What do you mean pay?
Speaker 2: Our medicine is paid for by the taxpayer. There's no place to pay. We have no mechanism for you to pay. And this was phenomenal medicine. But we're the best in the world, aren't we. That's why a lot of people around the world do not like us and hate us, because we tell people we're better than you. Well, you know what do you think people like to be told that? So we are exceptionalists.
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 2: I mean I look at American and by the way, I'd rather not live. I love having grown up and live in America. And I tend on staying here even if I'm going to retire and go to Italy, which I've said, when I do retire, I'm still going to stay here for months and months at a time because I'm not leaving. I'm not losing my citizenship. I am proud to be an American. But I tell you, if I need medical care, good medical care, I'm walking into an emergency room. I'm waiting five minutes. I'm getting world class medicine, and I'm not paying for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to talk.
Speaker 2: To you a little bit about television, and let's go back a little bit in history, and I'm telling I'm talking away or we're talking about Amazon, and Amazon on is where everybody buys, or a lot of people buy, and they do it on the internet. And then Amazon comes out with you know what, We're going to produce content and we're going to have a cable station, or we're going to have a streaming station. And it's kind of neat because you've got Netflix and you've got Paramount, and you've got a bunch of companies going on streaming. And this is the golden age of television.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: It used to be that when live TV was around in the fifties, when it started, that was considered the golden age of TV because you had these phenomenal actors, major actors who broke into acting and into movies by coming onto these live TV shows that were there were little mini plays, well written, well acted, well crafted, and that was considered the golden age. Then we went into garbage in the sixties and seventies when the Beverly Hillbillies were on top the heap, or my mother the car, you know, can you imagine my mother the.
Speaker 3: Car who pitches that, Hey, I got an idea for you.
Speaker 1: These are the suits at the network.
Speaker 3: I got an idea.
Speaker 2: You've got a guy whose mother has died and comes back reincarnated as a model T, as a Ford model T, and they talk and that's the show. Or mister ed Oh Wilbur a talking horse. Okay, that's where TV went. And then you have the streaming services coming back and we're doing phenomenal shows. I'm just watching Handmaide's Tale. Okay, So here we are talking about TV. Could you ever imagine the NFL being on Amazon. That's exactly what's happening. Broadcast TV is moving towards screaming, and the broadcasters are going nuts. Radio is in trouble because of streaming, because of podcasting, because of other ways people are list So the television stations, they're saying, well, the only way we're going to survive is if we're allowed to consolidate. Federal law does not allow TV networks to consolidate. Right now, a TV network can only own two television stations in a local market.
Speaker 1: And so you have.
Speaker 2: All the big players in a lot of trouble, and what they're asking for, let us buy, let us consolidate. That's the way we're going to survive, not so much make money. So the National Association of Broadcasters just met a.
Speaker 1: Few days ago in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: It's an annual convention of the broadcasters, and that was the talk of the town, asking the FAA to please or the FCC, I'm sorry to please allow consolidation, allow us to own more stations in a given market, and it's going to be more efficient. We're going to have a better way of attracting advertisers. We're going to be able to make more money with less. And that's what's going on because you have I remember when it was voice tracking. It used to be that every radio station around the country had their own talent. Well, if you're a big fan of Ryan Seacrest, who's still in radio, by the way, the guy's phenomenal. I mean, he has not forgotten radio, even though he's making a zillion dollars on TV. You can hear Ryan seacrests in the morning on I don't know, two hundred stations maybe.
Speaker 1: And it's not even a question of syndication either.
Speaker 2: It's a question of voice tracking, where he is the host of local shows because they use his voice so they don't have to pay local talent. And morning well, morning shows do okay, but KA finds an outlier that we have programming all day long, local programming.
Speaker 3: It's just way too expensive to do.
Speaker 2: And so without the government saying all right, let's change things around, will allow you to consolidate, we're in trouble anyway.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The question of to slow down the problem that we're having. For us, it's a problem, and we're talking about the traditional media. For the consumer, for the listener, there are more ways of listening.
Speaker 3: And that's we're in the typewriter industry.
Speaker 2: When the age of computers come out, and if we don't figure out a way to make it more approachable and just do a better product, you know, five years from now.
Speaker 1: Where are we going to be? I have no idea. Now.
Speaker 2: The only good news here for the broadcasters is there an administration out there that really cares about business. And that's the hope. So the plea to the FCC, the head of the SEC, a Trump appointee.
Speaker 1: A guy by the Dame but I I think is Brendan Carr, is please help us out.
Speaker 2: Let us do what we do best, broadcast, and let us survive by consolidation, because.
Speaker 1: That's the only way to do it. And that's the rule. That's that's the way of the future.
Speaker 2: That's why the mom and poppers very difficult for mom and pop anything, hardware stores, restaurants to survive because.
Speaker 1: There aren't efficiencies there.
Speaker 2: All right, real quickly, I want to spend a few minutes talking about the next big workplace fight and that has to do with who pays for ozembic. And this is a drug that's part of GLP one, the drug that well, it really helps weight loss, and it's considered pretty successful in the world of weight loss, but it's not cheap. And the argument is that the company should pay for this. Why because if you are fat, then you're more prone to diabetes, you're more prone to knee issues, you're more prone to a heart attack, and therefore preventive care is cheaper for a company.
Speaker 1: That's like insurance companies.
Speaker 2: Will give you free teeth cleaning if you have a mental insurance because it's preventive and you're going to have fewer cavities and you're not going to go in later on with pretty expensive procedures.
Speaker 1: It's that kind of philosophy. And so the argument is is.
Speaker 2: Fat people who lose a lot of weight are better for a company in the long term.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now you've got company that are going, oh, no, no, because here's the problem with drugs like ozimpic that you're asking us to pay for it, even though you're absolutely right, is that you're going to be healthier if you lose one hundred pounds if you're that heavy.
Speaker 3: But that's long term.
Speaker 1: Are you going to be around ten years from now, fifteen years from now.
Speaker 2: No. And now even the insurance companies, even though the argument is you pay for my weight loss, saying you are going to be better off for it, now you have insurance companies and states, for example, that do pay for it. Let's say bariatric surgery. When I underwent bariatric surgery, we're talking what twenty years ago, maybe eighteen years ago, insurance companies didn't pay for it, even though I went to and no one paid for it. I you know, you had to write a check. Well, today it's different, and today insurance companies in many cases are paying for it. In some cases no. And employers, when you're talking about big employers, of course, people have companies have thousands of people. In certain cases they paid for it, and not so much because it's long term, because they want to hang on to people that are really good. If you are fat and good, they may want to pay for your weight loss program with these drugs.
Speaker 3: If you are fat and not so good, there's the door.
Speaker 1: If you can squeeze through it.
Speaker 3: Thank you leave us alone. And that's the fight that's going on right now.
Speaker 1: And it used to be.
Speaker 2: Look at the major tech companies what they did, what they used to do, and man, you had free food in the cafeteria you and you had ping pong tables, and you had to meditation.
Speaker 1: Rooms and I mean, all just keep good people.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean, how many of that work for Amazon or work for Google. Now go into the cafeteria and you get all the free food you want?
Speaker 1: Not so much anymore?
Speaker 3: All right, So that fight continues on, and both sides are right.
Speaker 1: It does help people are healthier.
Speaker 2: They don't stay home as much, they don't have as many heart attacks.
Speaker 3: But the other side is, yeah, we'll talk about that eight.
Speaker 1: Years from now.
Speaker 2: We're five years from now when you have already worked someplace else and we've written the check for these drugs, which is several hundred dollars or maybe one thousand dollars or more a month.
Speaker 1: That gets pretty pricey, all right.
Speaker 2: Mo Kelly who is host of Later with Mo Kelly every night Monday through Friday, seven to seven pm.
Speaker 1: Morning. Mo, how's it going.
Speaker 4: I'm it's going well. Let me just say congratulations to you and welcome back.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you very much, greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Now this, you wouldn't expect a lawsuit involving Blade Runner, Tesla and Warner Brothers.
Speaker 1: Put those in a blender and what.
Speaker 4: Do you get, mo, Well, Blade Runner twenty forty nine, that specific movie. The production company for Blade Runner twenty forty nine was Alcon Entertainment, and they're suing Warner Brothers for one reason, in Tesla for another. One of the issues is Alcon's charge of copyright infringement because images from the movie were used to train AI tools for Tesla. That's the first part. Tesla had an event on the WB Warner Brothers lot and use visuals from the movie against the will of Alcon Entertainment. But get this, Alcon had argued prior to this lawsuit that company executives had made it clear that under no circumstances could there be quote any affiliation between the film and Tesla, specifically because of musks massively amplified, highly politicized, capricious, and arbitrary behavior which sometimes veers in the hate speech.
Speaker 5: And I quote, Okay.
Speaker 2: So set up the scenario as to what happened again, I'm a little confused.
Speaker 3: So you had Tesla on.
Speaker 1: The Warner Brothers Lot. Do I have that writer or this.
Speaker 5: Within the film. No, that's correct.
Speaker 4: Tesla had an event on Warner Brother's life lot and prior to that outcome said, hey, do not use anything from our film. We don't want any perceived association between Alcon Entertainment Blade Runner twenty forty nine and each game specifically.
Speaker 3: All right, did they have any kind of a deal?
Speaker 2: Was there a written deal or an agreement or an okay on that.
Speaker 5: Not from Alcon?
Speaker 4: Now, Warner Brothers was the distribution company for Blade Runner twenty forty nine, so there was a professional relationship. But Alcon said, beyond distributing our film, it doesn't mean that you can use it wherever you want.
Speaker 5: This is where the copyright infringement comes in.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: And oh this is fascinating too.
Speaker 2: Was Tesla using the film at all or are there any mentioned or do you see Tesla anywhere in the background of the film.
Speaker 5: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 4: Now the specific issue that Alcon has what Tesla is you have also used these images that we did not approve to be used in this event. You've used it for your other professional endeavors, training your own AI.
Speaker 1: How does that work? I'm a little confused.
Speaker 2: How does an event where you have Tesla on the lot translate into use of AI That one I kind of don't get.
Speaker 4: That's the argument that they're going to have to make and be able to prove that the images which were used were somehow used to the betterment of Tesla's products.
Speaker 5: That is at the heart of the whole case.
Speaker 4: Now, this is an actual a narrow in term pretation because there were other issues that Alcon had alleged and the judge said, no, you can set that aside and resolve that in mediation. This is the only part of the actual lawsuit which is moving forward.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: And I didn't pay attention to this lawsuit.
Speaker 1: And I want to, you know, put it on the record that.
Speaker 2: MO actually knows more about the law in this instance than I do.
Speaker 1: And Mo, we won't be doing that again.
Speaker 2: I just want to let you know this will be the last time you ever come up with a legal interpretation that makes sense that I don't know about.
Speaker 1: Okay, I apologize as well.
Speaker 2: You should, all right, MO, tonight seven to ten pm, as every night later with MO Kelly, have a good one.
Speaker 5: MO talks through my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Moe's very bright guy. All right, now, what is going on? Well, first of all, Gary and Shannon twelve twenty talking about Trader Joe's tote bag. That's a whole thing onto itself. I don't get what's going on. But I didn't get cabbage patch dolls. I didn't get ll I didn't get the pet rock. But this is today, and they'll talk about how crazy life is out there. Also tomorrow it's ask Handle anything. That one's fun where people ask me questions. We record it and then I answer the questions. And tomorrow is going to be a lot of fun because I just got back from Italy and there's going to be just a lot of entertainment on those questions. And I'm very honest to my utter humiliation. And tomorrow morning we start all over again. Amy comes in at five am with Will it's wake up call, and then Neil and I join at six o'clock until just about now, and of course Cono and Ann are forever here. Doesn't change. This is handle on the law. Oh no, it's handle. Why would I say that? That's on Saturday. See I'm already there. Oh god, this is k five am sixty. You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app