Speaker 1: Special Operations, Cobert Ops Espionage, The Team House with your hosts Jack Murphy and David Park.
Speaker 2: Hey, everyone, welcome to episode one and seventy three of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with Dave Park. Our guest tonight on the show is Chad McCoy. Chad spent his entire career really in Air Force Special Operations with twenty fourth Special Tactics Squadron served as a PJ para rescue men. And we're really excited and happy to have you here in our studio tonight.
Speaker 3: Man find out here. We really appreciate it. Yeah. Thanks, I think you stabbed today, so I'm healthy and happy.
Speaker 4: It's the rocks out here that'll get you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, uh, I mean word again, I mean we kind of like, uh shot the ship a little bit before we started the show. And I mean your biography and career, I suspect is too extensive to even fit in one interview, but we'll try to.
Speaker 3: Hit some of the highlights. Some of the highlights, yeah, and talk.
Speaker 2: Hit some of the things you'd really like to get into. I'd really like to hear first off, you know, sort of what your path was, you know, growing up as a kid and what like sort of took you towards the air force?
Speaker 4: What was your origin story?
Speaker 3: The superhero your you know, so you talk to a lot of kids of our generation, right, and we grew up playing the woods, you know, sticks as guns, wearing camouflage, going to armonies, serve for the stores, and buying where we could, you know, canteens a waste. That was the the culture, that was what we were enamored by. I was exactly the same way, you know, my brother and I were in the woods you make, and forests and throwing pinklaan grenades, you know. And so, uh, you're also an amorurby movies, you know, and so you know the movies that were kind of formative for me were you know, the same as everyone else you look at like I want to be Rambo, right and uh and probably a lot of Navy seals became Navy seals because of the movie. You know, it was awesome, and so we kind of had a culture there for a while that was kind of glamorizing the military experience and specifically the special operations experience. And so all I wanted in my life was to wear all you know, ballaclava, hav An MP five in a flight suit. That's all about rappel through skylights all I want in life. And you know, once I got the balaklava, it wasn't very comfortable, and MP five wasn't very you know effective.
Speaker 4: Them is hot as hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but but you know, that was what I was aspiring to be as a young man. And you know, I had a normal, you know, semi normal childhood. But as I grew up, I don't want to join the military. And I was probably, you know, seventeen years old. I was in Hawaii. It was a surfer. It was you know, you know, some punk kid in Hawaii, skateboarder, surfer. And I was enamored by special operations. And this is before the war, right, this is before nine eleven, So I had no context what war was. I didn't know how real it could be. I just knew it was kind of sexy, right and so and pair rescue was one of the few jobs in the military that was always kind of employed, right, you know, regardless of war not. They were rescuing people outside of the mountains, they were jumping in the middle of the ocean. They were badasses to begin with, and you know, icing on the cake was maybe if a war kicks off, I can go do that stuff too. But but it was this like nineties, right, and so you know that was kind of leading up into me going to the military. So not to get ahead of it, but you know that was kind of the genesis of it. Was I wanted to do something exciting and cool and and recruiters are you know listening to this? Is that the things ours was enamored by was you know, guys putting their kid out there and showing me scuba tanks and you know, guns and you know, motorcycles, Like that's what That's the life I want, you know, and you can get it in a number of different ways. You know, you can go be a ranger and do all the same things. You can go be a seal, you can be in Green beret. You know, no one really has really cornered the market on the coolness. They all have it. It's just you know, how accessible is it. And and per rescue was the quickest way just to be canning with you was the quickest way to get all those things grafted the bad Yeah, and it sounds cheat, It sounds like cheating, but you know, it was truly. I can go to scuba school, I can go to you know, I went to Key Wes, you know, special Forces Combat High School as an eighteen year old. You don't get that in the army, right, You're a senior guy. You've cut your teeth, you proved yourself, and you actually want to do that crap. And I knew I could get those things off the bat. Went the free Fall School as a you know, eighteen. I turned nineteen at Freefoll School, and so that's not normal. Maybe it's normal today, you know, it's more accessible today, but back in the day, it wasn't. And so that was the path I chose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was one of the big things, especially pre g Watt is that CCT and Para Rescue. They had that pipeline line. It was stacked, it was lined up, and it was.
Speaker 4: The envy schools. It was the envy of every other special operation.
Speaker 2: It was still contentious, you know when I went for sure around two thousand and eight or two thousand.
Speaker 6: And nine, because you know, you guys have a pipeline right in there.
Speaker 2: I mean to have an entire Special Forces team MFF team qualified.
Speaker 3: It's pretty difficult to do.
Speaker 2: It's not easy to get those slots, but yeah, I can definitely see why it's appealing to it.
Speaker 3: No, so I felt that. I felt that as a young guy going through school school with zero batters on my chest. Right, maybe I was an e too, and my I was dive team number two in Scooba school. It's a big deal, right in one and two and three. And you know the guy that I was, my my partner, was a crusty like you know, Special Forces E seven And I'm a namur by this guy, right, I'm like, he's he's legit. I am nothing. I'm a punk that was in high school last year and here I'm going to Special Forces scuba school and I don't deserve to be there. And they reminded us that every day. You know, Airport fuge, you know, and air Force got a bad rap because you know, we go in there and we smoke these things. But it was because our selection was good, and so you had like really talented guys at the top of the food chain going through these courses and they crushed them, you know. And but we were a bunch of pricks, you know, we were young guys, we were you know, arrogant and uh but yeah, for sure, we probably deserved everything we get. You know, we had, so you're.
Speaker 4: You're basically seals but with the ability to back it up.
Speaker 3: No, man, that's a joke. It's a joke. I went through I went through, uh the eighteen delta course, the true eighteen delta courses soccam with a bunch of Seals and a bunch of eighteen deltas and there was a bunch of pjs back when we're going through there, and you know, you had the Seals around the perif why they're like, you know, screw these guys, and the eighteen dollars was like, screw all these guys. And here's the Air Force guys going, we just want to get through this.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: We went back step like this is just the thing for us, you know. But so what year did you go through selection? Uh so, nineteen ninety eight, back when it was hard, last hard course course, last hard course. You know, I was thinking about the other day. We say that about stuff, and we I think we kind of believe it, right because I kind of believe that it was harder back then. I don't know if that's true or not, you know, we'll kind of go through the progression of my career. But like I ended up running selection training at the unit, and the guys we were bringing on were better than us. They were. Was it harder, maybe not, but were they better? Yes? We were better at selection. We're better at selecting the right people. And so it's kind of funny to look back and think, like back in the day, it was like who is the hardest? And you could just get through hard things? But does that make the best operator? It doesn't. It makes a guy that's really good at carrying heavy things, right, And here I was trying to blend in with those those hardcore guys you know, and you know, fake it till I make it. But but yeah, so a lot of growth through the process.
Speaker 5: So for the people who don't know anything about Air Force Special Operations, can you sort of give us the lay And it's changed over time too, I guess, but can you give us the way out of what it was when you were there and what it's become now.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a better history lesson. I'll try to. You know, someone will fact check me on it. But you know, so PJS grew out of kind of necessity in Korea, jumping in, jumping in docks behind me lines and moving people out kind of like the hard way, right, and so there were you know, I guess, you know, kind of a crew way to put it, just guys with big balls that would jump out of airplanes and do hard stuff and so willing to risk their lives for others. And so that was kind of the genesis of this. And so Vietnam kind of was the galvanizing kind of environment for pjs, and they just did hard stuff all the time. Man like you guys are in a tick, you know, a bunch of SF dudes or conventional you know, army guys. They were gonna the guys are gonna go to the hoist under fire and try to take out their casualties. And you know, Vietnam's you know, was a good, you know, kind of litmus test for you know, being a speck ops guy. You know, the Seals, Green Berets, they all cut their teeth there, right, And so here pj's were. They were one offs. You know, they're these guys that just were kind of uh, you know, kind of the rebels of the Air Force for sure, but their job morphed into protecting aircrew, and so it became this kind of safety net for for aviators. So I'm gonna fifteen pile I'm flying. And here's a really good example is you know the Gulf War, you punch out, a PG is coming to get you, right, and you know he's going to come with an armada. Not only Hilicotter's a tens flying with him, and so it's it's a legit package come with him. So pj's morphed over the years and then the g what happened, and then it was the chance for pj's to say, hey, man, like, what do we want to be when we grew up? Because this is no kidding the test and so that's going to have the conversation, Oh it's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're we're did I read somewhere that a lot of the the pjas the power rest uman in Vietnam were they former Did they draw on the smoke jumpers? Is that or am I just making that I've never heard that before movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that the CIA drew on some of those guys for some of their ops in like Laus during the Vietnam conflict, But.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of them woul kind of just floated back and forth. There was a lot of that going on. Was like hey man, yeah you can do where it's up, Okay, let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of like sheep dipping back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the but the larger picture of Air Force Special Operations also includes there's j tax, there's CCTs.
Speaker 6: Okay, tell folks out there a little bit about how that works.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows. I got a lot of love for the CCTs, and so at the twenty fourth stso CTS and pj's. The Air Force is terrible at branding, so we have a lot of acronyms. You have also have tag pece, right, and so as ranges you guys at attack pees conventional forces get tack pece. But there's also soft tag piece and so we have those. They're great, They're excellent, they're excellent j tax. But CCTs were initially designed to do kind of austere ATCs air traffic control basically stand up a remote site and bring air aircraft in like out of their rucksack. Yeah, remote airfield. So well, you look at Desert one, right, there were the guys bringing in those aircraft and that was kind of the genesis of it. But then it became okay, there's a necessity to have these guys call close air support and can they do it really well? A high level absolutely can, And so they kind of repurpose them. And so over the past, you know, over the past twenty years, they repurpose them to be excellent j tax and you know, they're just badass dudes. They could get the job done. They could bring in you know, your your infil Xville, but also called casts, you know, manage ir and so kind of jack of all trades as well, you know, and so, and then you got pjs who traditionally come from the rescue side. So you have rescue the air force, and their their job is to rescue pilots, that's it. And so they do it and they're they're the best at it, you know. They you know, come in helicopters, they jump out of airplanes, they do the NASA mission, I mean, they do the rescues off McKinley. I mean, they're everything, right. But then within soft you take those pjs and you say, how do we purpose these guys to support ground forces more effectively? And so in the early days, Desert one is a good example when you start building up jsock. They realize that, hey, man, we can use pjs and be these kind of these this enabling force that protects our guys and provides confidence to ground force commanders to say, man, like, if anything happens, that you guys are gonna do it. And a good example that is black Hawk Down. You know, we had pjs there that went down and and guys I had the the man It's it's hard to put this into words, but like when I was a young man, I looked at you know, these magazines and I saw guys like Tim Wilkinson and Scottie Fails, and I was enamored by them. And then I got to meet them in person and and and then become have a relationship with them. That's so cool, which was amazing to me, And it probably wasn't amazing to them because I'm a nobody, right, but like for me, it was a big deal. And so, but those are the guys that put themselves in harm's way. They're kind of the lesser known portion of black Hawk Down in the story of uh, you know, Gothic Serpent. But they, you know, they risk their lives to save others and cut those guys with those helicopters, and so you know, then the the Assault Force understood, holy crap, these guys are really good this. We can use them on the maritime missions, we can use them on these helo soft forces, and so they became kind of a necessity, you know, over time. Yeah, and correct.
Speaker 2: Me if I'm wrong anytime I say something dumb here, But twenty fourth STS is the unit that encompasses some of these different personnel and capabilities. Unlike you know, maybe some of the other soft units does this do they act as like the force Provider and they shoot off these attachments to seals, rangers or their missions.
Speaker 3: They do yeah, yes and no. So they do both, right. And so in the early days of Iraq and Afghanistan, we were basically running combat certain rescue for the task force and so I was a team layer for those you know, those those task forces, and my job was to protect a certain region of Iraq. And so, you know, when you had halfs going all night, you know a lot of a lot of helos flying back in the day, and the one sixtieth was very, very busy. They were getting on more on anybody, and my job was to protect those guys, not on the aircrew, but everyone else is on those you know those uh you know those infill and x fil you know birds, and so you know, that was a primary mission of our unit. And then on top of that, we would basically adule pj's and controllers out to the Army and Navy and so, and that's where it gets kind of exciting, right because everyone wants to be part of that. You touch that magic, and there's a lot of magic there, right. And so you know pj's controllers. You know, it sounds like pejorative, but they were commodities for a while. And so and that's not a bad thing to me because you're on the best missions and you're with the best operators, and so my job is to be the best PJ with them and protect them and save their lives and uh and think ahead of problems as they happen. And so and the comic controller is running. I mean he's the busiest guy on the target. Yeah, you know what I mean. He's got multiple radios going multiple aircraft. Maybe he's calling casts, maybe he's calling you know a black HLC to ring. You know, casually is out and the has a cool job because if no one gets hurt, you got a pretty sweet gig man because you're running down on the best of them, and then when someone gets hurt, you refocus man, and that's your your primary task. And so so yeah, it's it's a it's a different, different gig man.
Speaker 4: So with the Air Force.
Speaker 5: With we'll talk about periscue because I don't know about CCT, but it's has sort of that seal structure.
Speaker 4: Right, there's the white side.
Speaker 5: Uh, Para rescue who before GAT were the busiest special operations folks were. They're doing mountain rescues in Alaska. Yeah, they're doing the mountain rescue. They're doing incredibly heroic stuff out at sea like they had a real job all the time.
Speaker 4: Even the guard bums.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the perfect storm man. Yeah, and Long Island. You know, guys, the guys in Alaska are the biggest badass pj's right, because they're the guys that are going to jump into a remote DZ and rescue somebody and like overland for three days and you probably killed bears with a bear hands.
Speaker 2: I don't know, a couple a couple of them, I think just last year did a free fall jump in Alaska to go rescue some a dude that straded out there and jump right out into the snow drifts.
Speaker 3: They do a lot, they do a lot, and the guys here in Long Island do a lot of jump missions out to see you know a lot of the you know, merchant vessels that they call for help. These guys will hang. They literally risked their lives for others. And so when I joined, that's what I joined to do, and I was hoping that the combat side of it would come eventually. And you know, so I I was first stationed. I think you guys want to talk about selection a little bit, but I was first stationed in Las Vegas, and we went out to Northern Watch, which is uh, you had Northern Watch and Southern Watch, and basically it was a bracket around Iraq for no fly zone and so our job Northern Watch in Turkey was to protect those fighters that were forcing that. And so in my mind, I was in combat, right, I'm in full kid. I got all these magazine I had so many magazines. They had under rounds on me. I don't know, man, but you know I was. I thought I was John Rambo and I was going to go save anyone who needed me right, But the fact is that you're just a safety net and you know, we hadn't really started yet, and so you know, it's kind of an interesting kind of transition to what the GAT became because I didn't have any experience, you know what I mean, I wasn't nobody, and so yeah, it's interesting. Man.
Speaker 5: So with so, and I don't I don't mean any sort of disparagement when I call everybody not in the twenty fourth like the Vanilla side or you know, like Vanilla pjs, But what is their wartime mission as opposed to the twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they've got a great mission, man. So there, you know, they have dedicated assets. You have h A sixties h hh being the Air Force variant of rescue, right, you have dedicated SE one thirties, you know, HC one thirties. You have basically these task forces deploy to become stand up, turnkey rescue recovery. And so you know, for the past twenty years they've been everywhere, you know, they've been co located with US, and so my job would be protect task force assets. Those would be to convention, you know, protect everybody, right, And so if it didn't fall under our purview, they would be the ones that take care of it. And so it's not necessarily like I'm better than you. It's a different mission. And so you know, you know, we we use the term you know, White Side for you know, kind of conventional soft where Seft's not conventional. But you know that's the term we use. But they did a lot of great things, and especially in Afghanistan, you know, they did a lot of rescues, a lot of notoriety with you know, special Forces teams that they came in and save. But when you talk about you know, kind of the tip of the spear, when you kind of neck it down to mission, it becomes a little bit more exclusive, right, and so it's a smaller club of people, and you know that's by design. You know, there's a different selection process, which I'm sure we'll talk about, different training, and also different understanding of assets available. And that's usually the differentiator between White Side and Tier one, right, it's assets. You know, operators. You know, you can teach a guy to shoot really well and do all these things, but what assets do you have available to you? And so when you have dedicated casts every every target, you have a one thirty every single night, which people don't have and and I'm used to that. I'm like, we don't have ac went there. How we gonna go out right? And how do we do this because you know what we're gonna tick, you know and comment. You know, White Side guys are like, yeah, man, we'll just fight through it, and you know Tier one guys like, well, we got to just drop it and we'll move on, right.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's that's already strike exactly. So tell us about like, did you did anybody warn you what selection was gonna be, did you work up, did you train for it?
Speaker 4: And what did you think when you got there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's it's kind of funny. I'm my own worst enemy. Everybody knows me, knows that. And when nine eleven happened, I was in the I was in Okinawa. I was actually with a good buddy of mine. We had a we're having a typhoon party. It's what you do in Okinawa when you have typhoons. And my buddy, Nick mccaskell is a good friend of mine. He was like a E five at the time and I was a E four. His family was on the mainland and invited me over. We're gonna have a typhoon party. And so we're drinking these things called white dogs. It's like like Koreean yogurt and like soju, and we're tearing it up, man, just the two of us. You know, no purpose, just that's what you do, right, And we watched the world Trades that happen wow and together, and remember sitting on the couch watching it. I'm like and I'm trying to rationalize it. I'm like, oh, I must be beacons and the towers and I'm like trying to make sense of it. And then you start see more and more like holy crap. And then he starts getting all these phone calls and I didn't. So I was at a rescue squadron and he was at a special tactic squadron in Okanawa, and I'm like, you're getting calls. I'm getting calls like you guys don't want me. And here I was this, you know, I thought I was this pipeiting guy, and when nine to eleven happened, I assumed i'd be a part of whatever the response was. And I was in the Pacific and I wasn't. And we started doing oh yeah, Philippines, which was a thing okay, And we had a U A forty seven out there that crash, Yes.
Speaker 6: I remember it was a one sixtieth bird went down.
Speaker 3: I had, you know, a couple of friends on there, One Riddell and Bill McDaniel. Bill McDaniel was a teammate of mine in Vegas, and uh, it was a big moment for us, right because it was I was the young guy. I never dealt with tragedy, right, and I was like, holy shit, these guys are dead and h Then they said, hey, when did you guys go to field? And I'm like, I'm in and I'm going to war, you know again probably you know six hundred magazine. I don't know whatever it had on me. And we go out there and we think we're going to war, and it was this kind of like posture and it was like, Okay, there's things going on here, but we don't know what you guys can do. How do you contribute to that? And so it was really frustrating for me as a young guy because I started reading Stars of Stripes when nine eleven happened, and I started, you know, reading about these SF guys they're going with like, you know, shooting forty millimeterre of the mountains and getting these ticks and pulling back, and I'm like, that's what I signed up to do. And I'm in the Pacific, and so I did a you know, I was stuck out there. I was stuck. I was PCs out there. I had a you know, another at a commitment for another year, and I was miserable and ended up getting an ulcer. Like I end up getting ulcer as a you know, twenty twenty year old or twenty whatever whatever it was.
Speaker 4: Do you think you were going to miss it?
Speaker 3: I was just I just want to be a part of it. Yeah, And I was like, this is the war. This is I mean, and war is romantic, you know, to a young guy who was playing war in the woods. I wanted to test my metal. I wanted to see what I was worth. And so there was only one way to get there, right, I could roll the dice and PCs and hopefully go to a unit that was deploying, where I could get out and go contract to Blackwater, right because black Ward was the thing back then. Or I could go to twenty fourth Sts, which I knew was going to deploy. You knew you were going to war if you went there. The problem was I wasn't nobody. I had no experience. I was a young guy. I had nothing to give them. And traditionally the twenty fourth sts was taken like, you know, guys in their thirties, they were the best of the best. And here I was. I was barely twenty one. I was like twenty two, I think at the time. And so I put in a package and they're at war already, and I put in this package and I was up in Alaska. Actually I was doing some rescue stuff with the Alaska guys for a month. It was great. And I flew from Alaska to Fort Bragg to do selection by myself as a nobody, and you know, do you like do a PT test? And actually a funny story, uh PT test. So I'm I'm super nervous, like I'm an like I got no shot coming up here. They're not gonna pick me. And so I wake up with three in the morning. Got a pttest, I think at five, wake up with three. I'm stretching, like doing random stretches before HP was a thing. I'm like like touching my toes and I'm like I need to take some multi items because that'll make me run faster, right, figure some gatorade. I'm doing everything wrong. And I show up at five and this multi vedom in my stomach is I have no food in my stomach. And I know that I know better now, but you know, you have to do this three miun to running and it's like show what you got. And so the chief that was there was this runner. He was like a marathon guy. He's like, do you mind if I run with you? What I'm gonna say no? So, of course, so he's running with me and I'm running. He's talking to me the whole time. I'm like, I'm trying to run a six minute mile, which is hard for me, and he's talking to me, and my stomach's turning and I got to vomit, but I'm not going to stop. So I keep running and start vomiting on myself and I'm puking on myself and he keeps talking to me. I'm like talking to him puking and I puked three times on this run. And I run, I get a good time, and he's just like this kid's crazy, right, And so I go to the other events do all this other stuff, and then I go through this board, and the board just gets you in the door to go to the further kind of next selection. And they used to call the murder boards back in the day, and they were not friendly. It was everybody. It was all it's in uniform. I'm in uniform, and they just trash you. They rip you apart. And again, I'm a nobody, right, I'm a twenty something, the kid who's never done anything in my life. And I come in there and they're like, first of all, we never see anybody vomit on themselves on this run the whole time. That's kind of weird. Like I get it, kid, Like you want to be here like you do. And I told him I was very honest with him, and I said, listen, guys, and I wasn't. There's no ego attached to it was no.
Speaker 4: Pravado and it's Air Force, so you can't say, guys.
Speaker 7: Now, you cant no, I'm smoking a cigar, right, So I said to him, I said, you know, if you guys don't take me, I'm probably gonna get out of the military because I'm getting out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had my service commitment was up in like eight months. I was like, I'm getting out the military and I'll go fight somehow, I'll figure it out. And they knew how serious, and uh, I said, I just want to be busy. I just want to fight. I want to go to war. And they selected me and so I came. You know. So I ended up going back to Okinawa and we had it. So I had to do one more deployment. I went to Korea. It was a short diploma, is like thirty five days, forty five days. And this is what I was telling you about you two crash. Yeah, And so I'm out there. I wasn't an alert. We didn't fly alert for the U twos because they're like high high stuff, like very low probability and shot down, and so we're not alert for them. And it's like, I forgue, what time was in the mornings, like seven eight? Maybe I'm hungover, maybe I'm not. I don't know the holy to it. And they knock on my door like Chad, hey, you two just punched. You gotta go rescue this guy. I'm like, oh yeah, cool, yeah, let's go. And so we went out there and the you two. This funny story. Has actually met the pilot recently. He lives in my town. Oh really yeah, awesome story. But he basically limped his YouTube across the border ejected in the space suit.
Speaker 6: So he took eighty a fire or something, and it was he.
Speaker 3: Had a malfunction one of the interests of that and he punches. He played it cool, and I talked to him in person about it just recently. He's like, yeah, you know, like I knew how to get it over. It was on fire like whatever, you know, real real cool pilot, the old school Air Force pilot, like the guy the kind of guys from like World War two, right, and he limps it over, crashes his plane to with gas stations as a fire. It's it's a mess. He's in a space suit, breaks his back. We go down to him this mudfield, litter him out or put him in stakes, litter raise him out and rescue him, you know. And then I behind and like I'm gonna go like secure this crash site. Don't tell I'm doing No one taught me how to do this stuff. And I ended up finding this black box. This recorder is a giant, real recorder that there's two Koreans are pulling out this apartment complex and I got a gun on you right, and I'm like, and Chad now knows I could have like locked these dudes up and like zip tied them and like probably took them away because they're probably.
Speaker 6: Because of North Korean like classified piece right exactly.
Speaker 3: There was a van waiting for it out front. Yeah, holy shit. And so I didn't know how the gravity this at the time.
Speaker 5: I'm like a twenty something kid, you know, I'm like, I'm surprised that the air Force didn't sound like a forced hit it like the Ravens or.
Speaker 3: They sent some cops eventually, but uh yeah, so we we we do this and then you know, I'm like high five myself. I like that it was kind of cool.
Speaker 6: Wait wait wait so did you get the box?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, so how did you get it? Did you negotiate?
Speaker 4: Did you draw down on them?
Speaker 3: When I'm like, I'm an American, you're not, And you know, they probably all both knew Kara. They probably could have kicked my ass and zaid tight knee, but thank god they didn't. So if you're watching, thank you for like beating me up. But uh yeah, so we recovered everything. You know, he comes out fine. It was a big deal, you know, But I was thinking about the war. All I wanted to be was in Afghanistan And did.
Speaker 5: You get did you get a recognition for that? Did you get a medal for securing the Black Box from the Korean?
Speaker 3: Wow? Well there's more to that. It's just kind of my career. But it's fine. It's a lot of wards, right, but so it just kind of stabbed a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we see you go back to twenty fourth sts and like I did some of the guys, Yeah I.
Speaker 3: Did a good thing. Yeah, so you know, you fast forward a few months and I fly out to Fort Bragg and then unit's gone. There's no one there. It's a ghost town and it's a really eerie like thinking about now, it was crazy to see it was no one there. There was some admin folks there, but everyone was Ford. And they said, hey, we don't have enough to man this C star position in Afghanistan with the Navy supporting, you know, specific squadron. Will you deploy in a week? I'm like hell yes, Like that's all I want to do. And I had no training, So you're supposed to go through training, right, you have a year of training there, like we're gonna we want you to go. Now. I'm like, yeah, man, I'm in like, I have no gear, I have nothing, you know, like we got you. So I go to the arm ring and they got this little shorty M four and I never seen one. Now it's normal, right everything whatever, it's ten in. I never seen one for like, that's the coolest thing ever. And they had painted it for me. I'm like, dude, I am bigger, I am, I am varsity I now yeah, I can any I can kill anything, like I am the man, Like this is to your one right now right, and we got the rain. We sit in and I'm like, dude, this is everything. It's a culmination of everything I want in my life.
Speaker 4: Was it suppressed?
Speaker 3: Did you have? Oh yeah, I haven't seen a suppresed. How does this thing go on? Yeah? Yeah yeah, So I get that. You know, uniforms had all kit it out for me, and I'm like, dude, this is insane. You felt like a professional athlete coming to a team and here's your uniform, right, and so all brand new kit, which is not cool in retrospect. It's not cool to have brand new kid down range. But I was that guy all the price tags on and.
Speaker 4: Everything trying to not get it dirty.
Speaker 3: It's like the hat with like the sticker on the front. Yeah. So you know, so I go down range to Afghanistan and I do nothing. I mean, we support all these ops. It was a part of the task force. I was learning. I didn't do anything sexy, I didn't do anything hard, but I was exposed to kind of a new world and I was I was really impressed by the guys I was with. They're extreme professionals, They're very capable, and I was a nobody and it was very humbling, right. It was like, you know, I thought it was the man before and now I know I'm not, and I know I need to grow to this. And so, you know, that was a pretty formative experience for me. And so I come back home from that deployment and I start Green Team, right, so Green Team is our selection.
Speaker 5: So before we go into Green Team, because that was the training that you should have done, right, the training selection that you should have done if you hadn't a deployed immediately a pair of rescue already has just off the get go.
Speaker 4: Is it about a two year Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was about to say the same, I guess, yeah, So no, that's Okay, so when you go to pera rescue, it really is maybe outside of like an eighteen delta.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, do you guys have the longest pipeline?
Speaker 3: You might, I think I'm not in the competition with other tiers. I get it.
Speaker 2: But like you said, you're getting so many things, You're getting so many schools that that are all front loaded.
Speaker 5: So you do two years two years of training just to get on the job.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you don't know anything when you graduate two years. That's the sad thing is that. And even now you go through all this training and you're not capable to go deploy if you have top up training to get to your unit. And so you know there's a there's a breakdown there. But the pipeline basically is all these employment schools and basically foundational schools to put it all together at PJ school to make you a PJ. Right, and so but before that you go to selection, and I guess I kind of super glossed over this. It's pretty important. So our selection used to be it's not the same. Now it's completely different.
Speaker 5: And we're talking about just selection to get into the rescue.
Speaker 3: So you used to be PJS and controllers together would go through selection together. And so you go through basic training and if you were a guy who had you know, basically done a past test, which is like a physical assessment to go Hey, you want to go here? Okay, you met the basic criteria to go there, you start with a lot of guys. So we started, I mean, just for easy math, I'll say one hundred people. Maybe it was like ninety, I don't know whatever. So one hundred people out of basic training come there and they're all eager to be PJS because it's sexy. Right. You see this guy, he's got blouse, boots, cool bret, he's jacked, you know, he's probably taking a ton of rooids, and he's briefing you guys, and you're like, I want to be that guy, right, And here I am, you know, scrawny, like one hundred and forty five pounds going yeah me man. So I came in the Air Force to be that guy. Yeah. I had already made up my mind. So I had already done the passes before it came in in Hawaii and Honolulu, I did it with a prior controller. I was committed. And so the stakes are high, right, because you come in and a lot of guys don't make it. Most of them don't make it, and so you're come to be a PJ. You're probably gonna be, you know whatever, a load master or a cop or something. My motivation was to not be that. My motivation was to be what I wanted to be, and so I came in to do that. I finished basic training.
Speaker 5: Which which Air Force basically training everybody knows gets you ready.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, it's the hardest basically training. No, I learned how to full shirts and do and make my bed really well, which has not paid off in my later life. That I'll make my bed. No. Air was basically trains a joke, I mean, no offense, but it is, you know, and it was, you know, you act your feed through the process. You're doing the slow runs. I should have been doing, you know, hard stuff, right, And they change it now. So now they break guys out and they actually you know, build them up to go pre selection.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they have like cohortes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they fix it. Okay. Back in the day, it was like, hey man, you better be ready from go. And so you go to selections there at San Antonio and it's a lot of running, swimming and beating your ass in the pool. Okay, a lot of calisthenics and that's it. Not a lot of weightlifting. It wasn't a lot of any of that. Really scary instructors or paying the ass. You know, there's a funny story, but one of them I'll tell you later. But but yeah, so I'm enamored by these guys. I'm scared of them. I was a young kid. I didn't never done anything hard in my life. You know. I was a kid from Hawaii. I was a surfer. I was good in the water. I was comfortable being, you know, uncomfortable in the water. That was my saving grace. I wasn't super fast, you think, being that skinny of you fast. I wasn't fast. I wasn't strong. But I would go through every day knowing that I had to get to the end of the day, and I wasn't thinking about it in the week or within the month. I was sitting at the end of the day. And that was the only thing that saved me through the process was that I took it very incrementally, and so I'm like, I'm gonna get through this run, and then I know I'm gonna go to a water confidence session. I'm gonna get through that, and I'll get to the end and I'll get to eat dinner and I'll go to sleep, and I'll do it again. And it got me through the whole process. And I was unassuming. If you, if you had a lineup of guys, you would never have picked me to get through it. There's no way. Because the guys are big, buff guys. They all quit. They all quit, and they quit from runs, they quit from swims, they quit from water confidence. And the water is a great equalizer, right, And the Navy knows that. The seals know this is that when you get the water and you're uncomfortable and you can't breathe, you're gonna quit unless you can reprogram your brain to say, man, listen, I got this. And so one of the things we do is buddy, breathe in. But every readings really hard. You pass a snorkel back between your buddy. You have an instructor. You beat the crapety the whole time, and the guy you're with can screw you because if he's a spas and he wants you're not getting a breath. And then when he gives back to breath. They cover your smoke, but you're not getting breath either, and so you got to like mentally prepare for not breathing. And so I was pretty comfortable. I was like, man, you know, if you surf the north Shore Hawaii, that's worse than any water concession you ever have in the military, right, you know, like getting held down at sunset is a big deal. And when you get held down for two waves, you are gonna die, right if you survive it. Man, life is life is good. So I came straight from you know, surfing big waves, going to in doc and like they would do drownproofing, which sounds really dangerous, but like I would like I pretend like it was a dolphin. I make noises and go down and take a little piss in the bottom and come back and breathe. It was comfortable. I was like, this is like meditation was early before mindfulness was the thing. Yeah, yeah, right, yeah, so yeah, so you know you do that, you do you know, increment, Like it's harder, harder every week you do a six mile run at the end, a ton of push up, some of the pull ups instead of all that crap. And then you graduate and so once you graduate that you're in the pipeline. And so then you do that two years you're describing, and so you know, you usually start off at scuba school. You go to we used to go back and you go to Key West. We have on school of school now. We go to Key West with all the SF guys and we would crush it because we were so comfortable in the water, Like, you couldn't beat us, man, you couldn't crush us. And these open water swims were easy. We'd crush everything. Man. The runs, you know, runs were hard for me because I wasn't the good of a runner. But we were studs, you know. And you go from that. You got a scuba bubble, which means nothing to anybody except guys have been to scuba school. And you go to airborne school and people like, what is that because it looks like a little astronaut. You a welder?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it look like an astronaut on the Space.
Speaker 3: Show exactly, some stupid stuff like yeah, and uh, but yeah, you go to all these schools, right, so it's you know, just really basic schools get basic airborne free fall survival. The hard one for PJS was going through eighteen delta course. So going through socc them that's hard for anybody else. Yeah, dude, we had a lot of guys that you know, wanted to be Pj's end up not staying with it. They're like, screw this, can't.
Speaker 4: Do it now.
Speaker 5: At that time, were you guys, were you guys doing the full eighteen delta or were you just doing the sock import part of it.
Speaker 3: Now we just did the sock them. You know, the eighteen delta portion on the backside maybe would have been more of a gentleman's course on the backside, uh, you know, more long term care and stuff like that. But they didn't like us there. Yeah, and the SF guys that were there, old krusty dudes, and they did not want us there, and so they made their lives.
Speaker 5: Hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'd fail us on stupid stuff. I mean, I still it's like memory now, it's like bs I scene safe is what used to say is like by service isolation. If you say all these things, they would fail you. And it wasn't a part of your ability to treat somebody. It was all about your ability to recite things. And even anatomy physiology was like super stressful because it was like, how can you memorize these things right now? I didn't understand medicine when I left there. I was clueless, Like if you were shot in front of me after the soccer, I'm likes, I seen it safe. You're like, what do you keep saying that for? I'm like, my glove's on. Yeah, you know. Pharmacology was foreign to me and it never made sense to me until someone explained it to me in a way that I could understand it. And the process is so much better now, man like, and so everything's improved after the war, everything improved.
Speaker 5: So for our viewers and listeners, the entire eighteen Delta, which is a Special Forces medic course, has the trauma portion, which is the sock them and you come out of there basically with skills equal tour or exceeding a paramedic, right or that's the idea. And then for eighteen deltas, there's there's the long term care because it's based also around like being in a village isolated treating village.
Speaker 2: As I recall, they learned stuff about like animal husbandry, They learned things about like what if there's a viral outbreaking and how well, yeah that kind of.
Speaker 3: They're excellent medics, and I have a lot of love for Athan Deltas. They're awesome medics. They understand pharmacology, they understand wound care. They're great, they're I mean, they're I think they're better than a lot of the nurses, you know. And so I was not that okay, so just full transparency, it was not. I was good enough to get by. I passed the course first try, and I was like, thank God, get me out of this place. And truly it was. And so, you know, I go through all these courses and then I get to PG school and they put it all together that you climbing and some hyngle rescue stuff, but it's real, it's real basic, you know, because it's hard to make someone an expert hiengele rescue in a few months. It takes years, right because that I mean that alone is especially skilled. But to be a good medic, to be a good parachutist, to you know, to be able to do you know, we do rams jumps, which is basically folding a zodiac up and pushing on the back of a plane, getting the ground, you know, get to the ocean, pop it. You know, a scuba cylinder, inflate it. You know, all these things, and you're supposed to get all of them. Right, You're not good at any of them, right. You're you're you know, you're competent, but you're not an expert. And so medicine is make or break. All these other things aren't like they're all make or break, right, because they're all dangerous, right, But medicine is what you're it's your bread and butter. It's what you're asked to do, right, And if you don't rocket at it, like someone's gonna die in your arms. And so when you go to the twenty fourth, they know you need to top off, and so they start start, you know, kind of finessing those those technical or tactical skills of medicine and make you a really good medic.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, tell us then about about uh what was it Green Platoon? And I mean you've had all this you're already dragging around dragger systems and MC six parachutes and all this other crap that you've been trained on.
Speaker 6: What is this additional training? You know, attacking on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so green teams is really cool? So it again, so I ran Green Team later on my career, and it was a way better process than what I went through. What I went through was a bunch of courses. It was like really high end courses, right, the best of the best, I mean millions of dollars of training, but there wasn't there was never an FMP to like all put it together right. And so it was like, hey, I went They've sent me to swift water rescue courses in like West Virginia, and I would become an expert swift water rescue. But what does that mean? Right? And you know, they send me to these mountain rescue courses and I would do all this high end like you know, very complicated technical rescue. What does it mean? You know our jump trip? Yeah, you're you're getting very proficient at jumping, but how do you put it all together tactically? And so it's crazy to think my Green Team vice the Green Team today. Those guys that graduate Green Team today are freaking studs like they are. And I can say it's not about me, it's about them. They are studs because they get the training. So what I went through is you know, I go through advanced free fall. You know, we learned how to jump. You all kinds of equipment. I don't actually know. Maybe we were jumping nods at the time, which is a big deal GYP nods. People weren't doing it, right. I'm trying to think we you know, really crazy dive trip where we do three weeks of you know, just getting back into draggers and doing you know, line dives, which suck, you know, and f m P is doing CB, which CQB for every other service is very like foundational for us, it wasn't. And so I'd never done CQB when I came up there. You know, it was a good shot, but I did CGB is very difficult. It's a different game, right, Like, it's a different way of thinking and processing information very quickly, and so you're learning all this stuff within a year and so you pop out of there and you're a Tier one operator now right, Well not really because I've never been in combat, right, So I've been to common that you know, quotations, but I never you know, fired my weapon with your magazines. Yeah yeah, And so when I popped it on the backside, they sent me to a Tier one unit. And here I am with the best of the best, and I'm a.
Speaker 5: Nobody, Now what year is this that you get to the twenty fourth?
Speaker 4: Will you finish your Green Team?
Speaker 3: And I finished in two thousand and three.
Speaker 5: So to be fair, at that point in time, very few people had, like because obviously started in two thousand and one, so people had combat experience. Yeah, some guys did, but combat experience was not something that was like, nobody had.
Speaker 3: Combat experiments bar that Panama.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'd see like grenade raiders or pan dudes with the Panama Scroll and you know you'd be like, oh, yeah, yeah, he seen legend.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But so the guys that did the initial push into Iraq, and I've been these tics and I was on Green Team with them. They're telling me the stories. I'm like, dude, that's insane, and I'm enamored by it. Yeah, I'm like, dude, how would I know? How would I handle this? And the irony is is that, you know, everyone thinks that training prepares you for combat. You know, to a certain extent, it does, but there is a there's a next step, and it's under fire when the stakes are really high, and that's when things get get real. Right. So my first big ap I was with the Navy and full compromised gunfight and I'm like, oh man, we're are we fighting?
Speaker 5: We're fighting somebody somebody shooting, We're shooting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can shoot that, right, And you're looking at other people and they're shooting. I'm like, oh, I can shoot. Gets on, And you know, people think it's You're like, oh, I've got this training, Like it doesn't matter unless you're with guys that have been there, done that, and watch what they do. There's some guys that are just naturally they're that right, we call them way grows right. They just want to get it on. But for the most most of us, it's like it's a process and you're like, okay, this is normal, Okay, this is how you act to this. Okay, this is when you escalate force. And it's not as intuitives you think. And so thank God is with the best of the best. Right, they were the best of the best. And there were guys that have been on two rotations before of combat. They've been there, done that, And here I was a new guy going enamored. I'm like, holy shit, like, yeah, I want to hang with you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think a good way to frame that, at least for me, is like, you have a lifetime of cultural conditioning of not killing people that you know that are in front of you, and so when it first goes down, you, yeah, you might react, but there's also potentially that thought process at am I really going to kill this human?
Speaker 4: This person in front of him?
Speaker 3: Allowed to?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 5: Am I making the right Am I making the right decisions?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? It sounds silly, it Yeah, it's true, man like, and the guys that don't have that that limitation in their psyche, the guys their liabilities too. You know, like if a guy just his weapons free from the start, you're like, dude, what's going on your brand? Right? Right? Yeah? It should be a measured approach. And and my job is to save lives, right, and so you know it's also you know, to take lives in that respect, but also it's my job is to save lives, and so there's a humanitarian aspect to my role. And you know you have to be both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you steal the eyed killer, but also guy, you can hold someone's hand while they're maybe dying.
Speaker 3: And I take that very seriously man. And so you know, later on in my career when I would get into other operations that were not necessarily PJ focused. I never took it for granted. Like I was like, man, humanity is important, and it's important in combat. And the guys that I saw that could balance that very effectively where guys are respected and you know, Kenley, it is kind of easy to be a killer man like to be that guy to have to be measured in your approach is a very mature reaction. And then the guys that respect the most. And I saw it, I saw it live, and I'm like, holy crap, you didn't do that because this and so you share processes information, and so when I would talk to young guys that were like, you know, you said Whiteside and you're like, well, what's the difference, I'm like, there's a difference because I am seeing things that are very high level where people are making very good decisions and bad decisions. But I'm learning from it and now I'm competent and capable to make decisions on my own. And so, you know, I said this before to some other folks, is that, you know, being the first person to shoot is something I never wanted to do because you never know if you're right or wrong. But as I got more mature. I'm like, Okay, I know this is right, this is the right thing to do because we are compromised and that guy is a problem. I'm gonna shoot that guy. And but that is not that is not an intuitive thing. It's something that's learned. And so you know, the high level soft forces, you know, Army and Navy, the guys that are very senior, they're they're wired that way, they understand it, and they're the guys that I want to be next to because they're going to make very good decisions. They're not gonna make it radic decisions, aren't to make emotional decisions. They're gonna be very you know, deliberate decisions. And that's a very high level skill. And that's what separates White Side from Tier one.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because both in because both the fields that you were in, combat and medicine, both of those fields, I think the easy route is to dehumanize the person in front of you, to compartmentalize and to become jaded about it, right, that's the easier that to be, Like you mentioned mindfulness earlier, to remain mindful in those situations, to whether you're in a medical situation and don't just shut it off, because here's another human being who's suffering, and it's easier to just you know, to live in a black and white world, right and just to you know, shut off the emotion to it. And same with combat, it's easier just to shut out the emotion to it. As you know, then too, I'm I'm in front of the human being who stuffering. I'm in front of him being who's triab to kill me. So I'm gonna kill them first without without necessarily taking away their humanity or just.
Speaker 3: Here's here's an example of humanity. I was at a like a really remote outstation in Afghanistan, really remote. I mean, we ran out food and water, that kind of remote, right, you guys have probably been there before. And we had a couple of prisoners, you know, we call them, you know, pucks. We had a moff target and they were in our makeshift prison and we would basically, you know, we'd wake up and it's like, okay, it's my turn to watch the prisoners. So I go in there and I feed them and I treat him humanly. We're not we're not on target. There's no violence here, there's no emotion. You're you're in captivity. I'm taking care of you. I'm not gonna I'm gonna treat you humanely. You wanna go to the bathroom, will take the bathroom. Yeah, it's business. If you want to. You want to get crazy, like, we can deal with that. But like at the end of the day, like if you're bum respectful. And we had this guy who was there for two days, and I remember he was like really appreciative that I would give him food. I wasn't giving him, you know, benefits. I was like feeding him. I was doing what I should do, right, He's a human being. And turned out he was just a legit farmer. And me and the Master Chief took him down to the gate. We gave a bunch of money. You know, he blew his door off. He no, he cried, and he thanked us and he got on his knees and and I'm like, man, you know, this could have turned out totally differently if I had treated him, you know, like if I had been a prick, because there's a group thing that goes along in the military, and but I knew better. I was like, man, this is a human being. And even if he has a terrorist like he's going to face his punishment. There's no punishment I'm going to put on him now. My job is to be ethical with him, right and to watch that reaction when it turned out it was a mistaken identity, like thank god, you know, like thank god that you know we treated him well. And you know, there's a lot of mistakes that happened in the early days of Iraq and when we saw Abu Grave and all those things that were for guys that had been around for a while, like that's disgusting. You know, those were nobody's they did that crap.
Speaker 5: Right, and they and they weren't even like they can't even stand behind enhanced interrogation.
Speaker 4: They were just nobody around guards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and it was terrible because look at the repercussions from that of things that we we face on the battle of because of that. And so you know, humanity exists, you know, despite combat. And uh, you know, as I got older and as I retired, you know, as I got more senior, and I was like, you start to understand life in a different way. But when you're young, and again, group thing is is really important because that's what happens. You think that's what you should be doing the behaviors should be doing. If you're with a group of people that behaves that way, you're gonna be here that way, right because you want to fit in. It's a it's a it's animal behaviors, right. And so you know, for my saving grace was I was the mature guys that it had been around for a long time, and that were you know, I saw bad things in my career, but like for the most part, very professional guys, and uh, you know, it helped me become the professional that I became and helped me lead effectively later on my career.
Speaker 5: So, how did you maintain or how did her rescue maintain especially the twenty fourth the other skills that like you, like you mentioned before, you guys had a plothoro of skills that you had to the hire a rescue, the swimming, the scuba that all that stuff. Were you able to maintain that or did it all? It became a combat unit at that point.
Speaker 3: Well, it's kind of like the Navy. I mean, uh, you know, the Navy kind of blew off diving for a long time, right, they were just there fighting in the desert, right, And so you know Pj's is funny because pj's are we have so many skills that we do, and so a lot of guys gravitate to a skill, right, And see if guys are really good at climbing, and they're awesome climbers. I hate climbing personally. I hate it. It's scary to me. I hate being one hundred fet off the ground and being off one, you know, drinking piece of pro and looking down like this is gonna not only am I gonna die, but I'm gonna fall along the way and I'm gonna Yeah. But I like jumping, right, So there's Scot Evers that really like jumping, and there's guys that were like medicine. Guys were like shooting, and so you gravitate to a certain kind of discipline. You have to be good all of them kind of, but you're gonna be good at one really well, right. And so you know we have the guy I hate. You're the jump guy, right, You're the guy loves jumping tan you know, Bundles, You're the guy loves medicine, right, and so you're.
Speaker 4: The guy who knows all the knots.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And and so PJS, it's it's really hard for PJS to you can't be good at everything. There's enough time in the day. And also there's people that have propensity to certain things. And so you know, for me, I really, I really I appreciated medicines. They knew how important it was. I didn't like it, but I knew how important it was, so I had to be good at it. Right. I love jumping, right, So I was a big sky to ever a couple of thousand jobs. So tanna masters, you know, a f fi allose things. I also love shooting, right, But you know, how do you put all those things in to become a good operator? And so what does the customer need you to be? If we're commodities, you know, what does the navy ask me to be? They're asked me to be really good at medicine. They asked me really good rescue and not be a liability on everything else, right, And so to not be a liability, you have to be good at those other things too.
Speaker 5: So we're teams put together with that sort of aspect that hey, this guy like he's got a high rent, high angle.
Speaker 3: This guy's in the early days, we're so we're so busy. We had Afghanistan in Iraq. I did back to back deployment. I would go from my rack to Afghanisan. Wow. We were so busy. It was just like hey man, can you go yes? And you fake it till you make it right and you show up and you're like, oh crap. And so I remember I went to an outstation one time. This was like my sixth seventh deployment, I don't know, and this o G A guy had a had assistance armpit. It's like day two. I'm in this outstation roal remote outstation. I'm like, he's like, hey man, hey chet, you cut this out of my armpit. I'm like, you want me to cut it out your armpit? He's like yeah, how can that be? Like like I understand, Like I got to do minor surgery.
Speaker 5: There are no nerves or anything that I used to carry these books on me.
Speaker 3: I had all these books and I looked at the book. I could do that, just do deep sutures. Okay the igator and I got it, and so I put him down this table. I put chuck a chuck, which is like a basically a drape, you know. I cut it out his armpit and clean it off real good eye die clean it and he's got a big old dip in. He was xt ranger too by way of course, and so he's like, yeah, man, do your thing. So I you know, I numb it up real good and I lighted open just plus comes all everywhere. It's just like so much, it's like an ice cream cone, like and uh.
Speaker 4: I'm supposal to remove this act right, Well.
Speaker 3: I did, but I'm like, I'm like clean everything and breeding it. I'm like like, maybe I shouldn't be doing this grade right right, I'm like, yeah, I got it. And so you know, I clean up well, I sew them up great, stitches great and my my saving rist I did good sutures and I'm like, hey, dude, you have to keep this clean. And we had we didn't have great showers there, and so hygiene was an issue. I'm like, dude, you're gonna if you get infected, I'm screwed because I probably shouldn't be doing this. And you know, he's like, yeah, that's good.
Speaker 8: I catch him out the next day playing basketball sweating and I'm doing man. I was like, this is me, you know, this is my credibility and so uh but yeah, that's just how it was man, and in the.
Speaker 3: Early days it was a free for all. In the early days it was wild. You could do whatever you wanted. It became more jiminta more disciplined later into the war, but in the early days any went that's.
Speaker 5: Just did you feel like a champ though, like like taking out a sis You'd never done that.
Speaker 3: No, I felt very nervous.
Speaker 4: Did you ever get an opportunity again? Like you're like I got Oh.
Speaker 3: I did a lot of stuff later, but I was very confident, Like you know, I feel like I feel like I could take out your opendon marketing.
Speaker 4: I got a book.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love that self confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So as time goes on, you're going you did seventeen combat rotations serving in the squadron from age twenty two to forty one, getting up the senior enlisted guy and super impressive career. I'd like to talk about some of the some of the activities and things we were involved in during that time.
Speaker 3: One of the things we had mentioned to one crash and bagdad. Yeah. So, like I said we would do back in the day, we had to do CSAR and then also the assault rotations with the Army and Navy, and so I would go from one to the other. And so I I was in Ballode, which was kind of like our hub. We had the helos and daytime I get a call that a British one thirty got shot down north of Baghdad. And the one safety guys like, we're not flying daytime over Baghdad, like not happening. And I'm like, well, I need a ride, Like someone needs to take care of this. It's bad. And you know, they asked me to do it. I took responsibility for it. It's mine now, it's my project. And I'm trying to find a ride. I can't get I can't get to where I'm going. And so there was some British uh they were called super Pumas I believe, and so we jumped on those. I mean they had M sixties in the door daytime flight and we flew down and this is when Bagdad was kind of gnarly, you know, And so we dropped on the ground. Had my ranger we call them SSTs or Star Security Teams, and they're basically my security perimeter. And I had my team, my PG team and comic controller and so we get down there. I'm the team leader and you know, long hair. At the time, long beard, I was wearing real tree camis, which was cool because it was back in the day. It was cool to looked different, and so I wanted to be this different as like a look, and so I was doing that. It's so stupid to think about now. But again, on the ground and this wreckage is like strewn for you know, as far as you can see, and on fire. There's fire in this river and this ditch. It's a mess. And so I'm like, okay, guys, here's what we're doing. And my half my rangers we were talking about radios. Half my rangers had radios, half of them didn't. I'm like, okay, so I need radios in every VP. So we're gonna split get heavy upon here because that's where the you know, most of the city is. And we're gonna do this. Okay, it don't matter. We don't have security. We're gonna do this. We didn't have casts, so the controllers trying to get on call casts. You guys were the first on the ground. Yeah, first, And in my mind I knew the city was gonna start waking up to what was going on, and you know, potentially tunists like terrorists because this is back when there's like a lot of different tar cells. They're gonna come and like and they're trying to punch at us, you know. So we we get on the ground and my team was you know, I had a great team of guys, my controller. You've got falcon view up. Back in the day, we have falcons. Oh yeah, you know, you center plot and we had no security. And they're they're bringing back bodies, right and so but it's not bodies like you think, you know, it's not bodies. It's pieces. And uh be super respectful to kind of you know, because these are all British. There are some says folks and some uh you know, some British uh you know, aviators, and we're bringing back these bodies. And I told the team, I said, listen, we're gonna start putting bodies together based on like, okay, right hand, left hand is a body you've got you know, you have a torso it's a body. And so we'll get accountability eventually. And I want you guys to get the weapons all those things and we'll get this done. We'll get out of here. And it turned in to a huge event and it was it was massive and so excuse me. So guys are bringing back stuff and we talked about compartmentalizing information. I did very well. It didn't it didn't mean anything to me. I was very professional. It was very processed, like here's what we have to do, we're gonna do it. And so we're about six seven hours into this. The guys are doing great. My rangers are hole in their positions. No one's pushed on us yet, and they bring another super Puma down. Maybe it's a links I forget which bird. It was with some SCS guys and two two guys and they're like, you know, hey, am I, what do you want us? And uh, I'm like, hey, we have some vulnerable positions over here. Some there's apartments or some buildings. I was like, if you guys could go do some soft knocks, it'd be great. And they're like, yeah, absolutely, and they're guys right, They're like, yeah, we're in and so, you know, it didn't They didn't ask any questions, like we got it. And so they went out there in the city and they started doing their things. They all spoke Arabic. They was doing a thing and you know, the sun goes down, you know, my guys hadn't eaten, you know, in a day, and I I knew there was bodies in the ditch. So there was like a basic you know, in Iraq there was all these like irrigation ditches and it was on fire, was diesel and burning and ord JPA whatever, and like, you guys gotta get your dry suits on it. It was winter time in Iraq. I was like, you got to go in the ditch and dig for bodies. So I was like, put a line on them, you know, put a rope on them, and go down there and do it. And so you know, we had all our gear and so you guy puts his dry suit on, you know, young PJ. PJ goes on top to tether him, you know, fire pulling bodies and weapons out on the pitch, and the sun goes down. We're alone, you know. And at the same time there was an accident in Missoul where a teammate of mine was in a panda with the army and a Ranger striker hit That was right before I got there. They collided and my buddy Chad Gezagi was in there and his head got rocked pretty hard and he really needed to get his head drilled to releave the pressure. And you know, Chad is still you know, he's quadriplegic still to this day. The accident, but it happened right when we're in the field, and so everyone kind of turned their attention to supporting that x feel and they forgot about us in the field. And so we're just know what the Bagdad, We're doing a thing. And and it was the right call. I mean, they needed more help than we did. We were self sufficient for the most part. It could have gone really bad for us, but it didn't. And but I was like, why is there no comms? You know, but the entire task force kind of went to le leaning on Missoul and so, you know, here was on the ground. The Brits had a kit bag delivered and I'm like, oh, thank god, what is this? And we pull up and it's it's these flasks of tea and I'm like like, cool man, Like I might go some tea. I'm like, yeah, I'm drinking tea is like creamer and it's delicious tea. And I'm like it's not my thing, but yeah, let's let's do some tea. So we drink some tea and this work gets funny. So we we survived that night, and we're still we're still cleaning this crashlight. It's a mess. So day two goes in and this Marine's come out. Lav's come out to me, and I'm the team leader. I'm running the crash. It's my crash night. And this Marine major shows up and again I look like I you know, I'm like a hobo, right, you know, which is what you want to look at and soft back in the day. It's like you want to look as weird as you can look, and I look pretty weird. And he comes up to me. He's like, you're in charge. I'm like, yeah, look, here's where I want you guys from a falcony, push your you know, your your vehicles out there, heavy weapons and basically telling him where to go. And so he listens. He puts the folks out there. So about ten hours in the next day, we're still working. He starts to figure out that I'm an listed guy because the way people the rangers are talking to me, ay bro, and he loses his mind. A Marine Corps major is a big deal, right yeah, And they don't take orders from a list of guys, and he finds out I'm listed, and he goes ballistic on me and I stay on my ground. Of course, you know, I'm like, listen, this is my crash site. Like you're in support of me. I was like, if you want to fight over rank, you can do that, but here's what it needs you to do. And you know, it was hard for him to process. And I'm like, listen, man, like I'm being respectful to you. I'm not, I'm not being a dickhead. I was like, I need you to help me, and here's what I need you to do. And it was it was like it was an inflection point for the operation. Like it was like the mood changed, right, it was like do we want to help you guys at that point? And we end up spending three days out there on the ground. We end up you know, coming back and it was, you know, it was one of those offs. It was like, it was really strange. We came back and we didn't support the task warts. The task warts stood down off because we're out there we couldn't support them. And you know, I you talk about compartmentalizing things, and I shared this with somebody else recently, is that I did a really good job of compressing or compartmentalizing my you know, whatever I was seeing, I just did a great job of packaging it really well. You know. I taped it up and I put it in the corner. It didn't exist, It did not exist in my life, it didn't exist in my mind. Nothing. And so we came back to the bee huts we were refitting. We just needed some sleep. We had to go basically sport the task force in six hours. So we're getting like five hours sleep as a chow and the chaplain and the psychedic came to a bee hut and this is before you could talk to child and the psych dogs, you know, like knocking the door and like what they're like, do you guys need to talk to us? Like why would we need to talk to you? That was my reaction, right, And I was the team leader, and I should have been more cognitizant than my guys. Maybe we're suffering. My guys maybe were dealing with stuff that I wasn't. Because I was I was maybe the problem, right, I was the guy that could just figure this stuff out in a negative way. And I said no, I turned away, And because I said, if I'm good, they're good. And years later, I I reached out to one of the guys on that mission with me and I said, I apologized to him. I said, I'm sorry, man, I messed up as a leader. That wasn't how leaders supposed to behave. I should have been cognizant of where you were at in your life and I didn't. And you know, it's one of my regrets as a leader. I learned from it, but I also I continue to compartmentalize things to my career. And so you say, you know, seventeen combat deployments. There's a lot of compartmentalization in that, right, And when you get really good at it, it becomes your process. It becomes natural to you, and it's not healthy. So it's healthy for the unit because you're still on the line, right, deployed, right. It keeps you on your job right the.
Speaker 5: Day the day you get your your yeah, don't slow down.
Speaker 3: Then you leave the military, you're like, oh, wow, it happened. What's all these boxes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there'sh there, wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I need you all for all this.
Speaker 3: Yeah and uh but yeah, so that that was the C one thirty you know thing in Iraq. It was that I think I was two thousand and five. But life just got crazier from there.
Speaker 2: Man, there was another operation where you guys, you know, another element you were with may or may not have crossed into another place we may not mention. You said, a pretty big firefight where you guys went and took took on some bad guys, uh, in a hostile area. I was wondering if you could, you know, tell us what you what you can tell us about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, I so I've been in a few, like on a few missions. Like I wasn't like the guy, you know, I wasn't like the cool guy yet and I didn't feel like it yet. That was the first one. I was like, holy crap, this is insane. And we got compromise. We're at rp orcent of ladders and compromise, dogs barking gunfire from every compound and it was like it was on and like I said, being around confident people, they all pushed forward, and I pushed forward because they were doing it right now, because I not because I was the man, not because I had you know, big balls. I was like, we're going forward, going forward, and we push up there and you know, it was the first time I had you been in a big firefight. It is the first time I fire my weapon, you know, at another human being. And but then we had a bunch of casualties and they're like PJ. And I'm like, oh crap. I'm like, not only is this target chaos? Now we got people shot. And so I go over there under fire and I'm like, oh crap. So you know, guys are shot, two guys shot, and the target is supposed to be secure. Guy comes out the doors, are shooting from one of the compounds supposed to be already cleared. I'm like, holy crap, this is insane. So I'm pulling guys across a compound under fire. It's insanity. It's chaos. Other compounds are just blown up all around us. We have no clue what's going on, and we're in a hostile kind of region and the city is waking up. And we had one asset overhead and they were working it man and the CCT was working it. And he's a stud. He actually lives in close to me in my neighborhood. Now he's done, and uh, he managed that chaos very well. But I started getting more casuals. Guys like I had a guy coming to me. He's like, hey, I'm shot in the head. I'm like huh, I'm like where And so I pulled off his helmet in the round. It struck the front of his head, bounce, stuck in the back of his helmet, and I'm like, holy crap. I'm like, I check his helmet. His skull is not broken. I'm like, dude, keep clearing, man. Yeah, we were so so thin. It was like, keep clearing. He ended up spraining his ankle and he was complained about spraining ackle warming his shot the head, and then that guy shot their legs and uh, it's just chaos. And so you know, it probably was only maybe an hour and a half maybe two hours of kind of conflict, but it felt like all night. Yeah, and we end up pulling this guy out. I had a I went super light because we end up pumping like eight hours to this target. So I was like super light. And this is back when none of the seals would carry any gear for me. Right, they wouldn't carry a schedcoat, they wouldn't carry it nothing. I mean they they wouldn't even carry a blow of kids on their own. Kid. It was like Chad you got it, right, I'm like, not for everybody. And it got better three years, right, it got better. But we were so lean and mean that it was like we were pulling them out on a poll of slitter. If you've ever carried somewhe on a pole of slitter, it's pretty difficult. You talk about CrossFit workouts, that's the workout of the day. And we humped him down to this, uh this road. The city was waking up there, coming on like Hunchback nor Dame kind of style, and the forty seven almost crashed on top of us because they were so hyped up. And I could have touched the bottom of forty seven when they landed. And so you know, I'm covered in blood. My uniform is covered in blood. And we get back and you know, it's when you get back from debris from big ops like that, it's it's kind of like, uh, you know, everyone's kind of chipping away. How many people are killed and number You're like, that's like four thousand people right right? That wasn't people there, but you know, and then here I was, you know, dealing with like, you know, what could I have done better? And I could have done a lot of things better and and I, uh, I have a lot of remorse from that operation for the things that I didn't do well, and I learned from it, and so I committed myself to being way better than I was on that op and I became obsessive about it. Honestly, as an operator.
Speaker 4: What were the things that you became obsessive about?
Speaker 3: Medicine? I wasn't super good at it, you know, I wasn't good at pharmacology, I wasn't good at pain management. I wasn't good all the basics. And so I committed myself to being great at it, and uh, and I and I think I became that But that was like a really formative experience for me. And then you only get a couple, you know, in your career, and you know, some guys have had a lot. I'm sure you guys have talked a lot of studs that have had a lot of crazy experiences. But for me, that was one that I could have proved myself on and I and I failed, and it was, you know, failure to me. I'm hypercritical. I'm like, okay, I could do this, this and this, but I committed myself to never make any mistakes again and you know, maybe one day walk on the street in New York. Maybe all I'll get the chance.
Speaker 6: There's another operation you were involved in.
Speaker 2: I mean, you'd say whatever you'd like to or not talk about on this one.
Speaker 3: But the Captain Phillips Rescue. Yeah, so there was a few few Air Force guys that, you know, we I was with the small team of guys that jumped in early We I was a jump master, jumped in a bunch of you know, a mixed bag of nuts, you know, into the the water, and our job was to basically turn the lifeboat around before it hits Smalia, because if it hit Samalia, they were meet gone. And we knew that the squadron was gonna blow out and they're gonna do the no Can hostage rescue. We're just gonna, like, we're gonna fix it. Right. If they get the hinterland, they're gone. And what happens with hostage and Somalia is they basically hold them for the year. They go black and they pop on the net make their demands, but it's really hard to find them. And so we had very little guidance and you know, we we went down. I was in an apartment complex and I can't tell you what country, but like, hey, guys, who want you guys to go like, all right, we got parachutes. Now, we found some parachutes in ic U ninety that were expired by a couple of years. And I'm like, parachutes don't like, they don't turn into like, you know, they don't turn to like toxic waste every two years. Like, they're probably fine, and this is pretty important. Let's just jump them. And so when you talk about oram in the military, it's a non starter. I'm like, screw it, man, I'm the jump master. I don't know if I'm allowed to make that decision, but we're gonna do it. We jumped. It was all fine. We got there, you know, and we were part of the solution. And so the squadron sent up a really small contingent of folks to where we were already, and then it resolved itself the way it did. I can promise you it didn't go the way the movie went or the TV you know, said it did. It was. It was much more any kind of low key operator stuff. You know. There were some heroics that happened that night. There's some guys that did some pretty awesome stuff. But the end of the day, it was it was you know, kind of potshots from very very close distance, you know, pulling him out. And then what people don't realize is that when we pulled him out, I flew back to the main aircraft with him, and Discovery Channel basically blurred my face and said I was an Avy seal, which is the highest praise I ever got in my career, to be called a Navy seal. My wife saw it, She's like, let's you walking. But when we did that, we came back, the pirates attacked on their ship. This never made the news, is that they attacked another ship in retaliation and they just so happened to drop off their cargo so that they were sitting very high in the water and they couldn't get on the ship. And so they called us and were like hey, it was like six of us, can you guys come help us? Like made a and so the destroyer around, like can you guys go? And so the regular squadron was going back and like high five in each other, like you know, you know, cocktails whatever. We were on this ship, and Phillips was with us. So he's with us on the smaller ship and we're like, yeah, we'll go. And so we went and basically did hook and climb on the ship and did you take Phillips with you or no? No, okay, he's chill on like captain's bag. Okay. I was like yeah. So we went out this ship and we thought there's pirates on it because there was RPGs. They went lowerder in the side of it. I mean, it was bad. It was like, holy crap, this is legit, and maybe it was a little bit of humorist. We're like, yeah, we got it. And so me and one other seal we cleared the front of the super tanker, which is like Conics boxes, like multiple football fields. They're insanely big. I didn't know how big these things were. And we're clearing this, the two of us pining off Conics boxes, just one after the other, thinking we're gonna tick nobody, armor catches, masks, nods, and you know, we had four sixteens. We didn't have MP sevens. We had four sixteen's, and the rest of the team went to go to the superstructure, which they thought everyone was locked down in, and so we're assuming we're getting in a gunfight and there's no one on the ship and it was the eeriest thing and so it was just out there floating. No, they they attacked this thing. They couldn't hook onto it because it's so high and we didn't know this, and so the crew had locked themselves in the superstructure thinking they were under duress, and they called may day and so here we are to save the day and there's no one there, yea, So we have to we have to ride back with this ship for like two days. And they're like merchant marines on this thing. And I don't know if you guys know what these people are. They're like full on like criminals. Man, They're like they're they're making shanks. Yeah, and I'm sleeping this bed. I'm more scared of them than smaly pirates. And I'm like, these guys are gonna kill me and they're gonna eat me. And but no, it was, Uh it was an interesting like dynamic. But there was so much more to the story. Eventually it will come out. I'm assuming somebody will talk about it. But uh, yeah, it was. It was cool. It was cool to be there. I didn't know it was a big deal. It was during Easter and so you know, I would call from the fantail of the ship on my my ridium. I had to readeom folks that I'm a bougie guy, right yeah, and so oh it's like she's like, what's going on there? Like nothing? What do you hear? She's like, it's a big deal back in the States. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Oh, the thry.
Speaker 3: Was the different network. Yeah, but I had both. Yeah, so you know, you really made it. We have a threat.
Speaker 5: So when you guys were on this like two day pleasure cruise, did h what was the command?
Speaker 4: Was there anybody going where are you guys?
Speaker 3: No? Because I think they were. So people give special operations like a lot of credibility, but like they're hyper focused on getting the assault force back home, and so we were kind of like, you know extra you know.
Speaker 4: Uh, what was the port of call? Where did you guys get off?
Speaker 3: I can't tell you. Okay, yeah, but we came back. I'll tell you that. The team and I.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna pretend it's Bali and you guys.
Speaker 3: I wish well it would be the wrong part of the world, but I don't care in this, In this know that part of the world's not very nice. But we went back there had some cocktails and it was funny because it was like nothing happened. It was like it was just another thing. And so we went back and had some drinks. Act we went to party that night, and uh, we had a good time. And it's just funny to think, how, you know, things appear in the news, how sensationalized they are, but to us it was like, yeah, it was cool man. We did went and did the thing. We wouldn't do another thing, you know. Yeah, So you're constantly looking for the next thing, right to kind of fill.
Speaker 5: Your bucket, and and the next thing has to be cooler than it.
Speaker 3: Has to be cooler, right, it has to be more sensational and more violent or whatever you wanted to be, right, So.
Speaker 4: What was the next thing for you?
Speaker 3: Then? On that rotation, you know, not a lot. It was a lot of prep and so my job was to kind of this is before you can imagine what part of the world it was. It was four things were built up. We were building things up. When we're building partner forces and these things doing really like the grunt work of it, you know, kind of the non sexy stuff living in safe houses, the true safe houses where you know you're eating you're truly eating what you got local food. You can't go outside because you have to be If you see a white guy there, it's a big deal. So people say they're living in a safe house, You're like, dude, when you're living in a safe house, you don't walk outside, right, So a lot of that grunt work on that.
Speaker 2: On that deployment, you said you also spent about seven years doing some of the more like clandestine operations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was doing that when Kevin Pillows thing happened. You know, we would do loavez ovs. OPE is a term to get thrown around. It's operational prep with the environment or op B, a prep for the battlefield or AFO, which is advanced forced operations. Just sexy ways of saying, you know, you're doing things that aren't necessarily tied to you know, big constructs in the military. And you can do OPE op B anywhere, right, You could do it in Indonesia, you could do it in East Africa, you can do it in Europe. But there's not a lot of people that do it. There's people say they do it because they go into country and they're like, hey, I have a passport and I'm wearing a suit. That's not OPE. When you're actually doing tasks and saying hey, i'm gonna you know, I'm gonna fix this problem for you. You know, those are the problem sets that are more difficult, and it takes a more refined kind of team. And so it takes guys that are smarter. It takes guys that are able to work on their own. And so I did that for a while.
Speaker 2: OPE can invent develop like a number of different things, from like intelligence gathering to identifying landing zones to all.
Speaker 3: These sorts of Yeah, it's not one thing. I think that traditionally, you know, it's been in one vein of like I'm gonna, you know, do caches in Eastern Europe. Like okay, that's traditional, right, But yeah, that's an element. But what I what my experience was is that when you have really talented guys, you can do anything. And you say, hey, Chad, can you guys go do X? Yes, the answer is yes. And if I'm a PJ, can I go do an LZ service? Yes? I can. You know, if you're a really you know, high end competent, you know, because there's different types of seals, right, and the seals that we're with are very high functioning guys that are like, can solve problems? Can you go do X? Yes? We can. Can you work with this partner for us? Can you build this safe house? Yes? And so it's not sexy stuff all the time, but a lot of times it devolves into very dangerous activities, and especially if you're in environments that are very nascent and there's no footprint.
Speaker 5: Semi permissive to non permissive, non.
Speaker 3: Permissively yeah, yeah, so you know, truly non permissive. And not a lot of military, even soft guys have experienced this where you're like, oh, I was in Afghanistan. I was a remote, Like, okay, that's cool. What about when you're in a complete.
Speaker 6: Behind enemy lines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're in a country that you're not at war with and they want to kill you, and when they do, no one's coming to get you. When you're a tick, there's no QRF and there's no kasavak, right, And so my job would always be to figure it out, like Chad, well, if this happens, what do you do? I'm like, And so I would work commercial assets, trying to get you know, international sos to go in and like pull us out of remote regions. And it became a thinking man's game, which was really good for me because I was intellectually stimulated right and I was like, holy crap, this is fun.
Speaker 4: So let's talk a little bit about OPE and OPB real quick.
Speaker 5: We're talking about operational preparation of the environment and operational preparation of the battlefield. Some as we'll talk about like advanced AFO Advanced Force operations, and really it's it's the guys who are going in where we might have interest, but we're not sure if we have interest.
Speaker 3: And we might be at war there one day.
Speaker 5: One day, and really setting up the plumbing, setting up the environment.
Speaker 3: You know who the rock stars are. It's not the operators, it's the singing guys. It's the tech guys. Guys that can look look at infrastructure and logistics. Those are the rock stars. And you know, despite how cool we think we are, without them, we wouldn't do those jobs. And so, you know, a lot of OPE and AFO is you know, sing and ew related, and so you know, you being able to contribute to that mission set is important. And so if you're a knuckle dragger, like we don't need you, like we don't need a gun. We need guys that can do the gun work but also do the you know, the tech stuff. And so a lot of operators became kind of dual purpose where they had a basic understanding I'm not going to overinflate my you know worth, but a basic understanding of how sing it works, of how networks work, and then how to get after those things and how to how to employ you know, tactics and techniques to uh set conditions for other folks to come in and be successful. Right, and so you know, you look at the theater right now for Europe and even pay Com. You know, there's a lot of prep work that has to go on to make those those theaters successful.
Speaker 5: Now there are Army special mission units that that's sort of their Bailey Wicked, their bread and butter.
Speaker 4: But of course everybody does everything. Now, how.
Speaker 5: How did seals like get into that? That's definitely all right, right, I mean and everybody did see he.
Speaker 3: Had intelligence collection units that are really good at it, but basically within Jasak, like if you read the book Team of Teams, that was the early days of Iraq's very you know, very basic construct. It grew very fast and everyone wanted the mission, so everyone built capabilities, right, and so everyone had the same capabilities, right, And so when you had the Army and Navy, they had all the same like singing, you know, ew like they had everything. They were all you know, it wasn't joint anymore. It was like this is a bohemoth, you know, task force. They can do everything right, and this one was too, and so you know, it became kind of a dog fight for mission, you know, and so everyone could do it. And so those very bespoke capabilities you're talking about, they were important and they would definitely be involved in it was very high level. Otherwise they're like, we got it right. And so it was a really interesting dynamic to watch develop over the years. And like I said, I came in you know, two thousand and two to selection in two thousand and three, and then watched the whole transervation of the command and it became a monster, right, you know.
Speaker 5: Right, and and for you, I mean, because it's interesting that you were there. Because the Seals do have their cormen.
Speaker 3: No so well they they do and they don't. So okay, if you're a seal and you got the Green team. You're an assaulter.
Speaker 5: I see, you're not a coreminating Interesting okay, yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: You don't carry medrug. You know, there's some guys that were still interested in medicine and they would help, but they're not carrying at medrog They're carrying you know, door charges, they're carrying you know, m P seven s.
Speaker 4: They're carrying the heavier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are, No, they are, and so it basically relieves them from having to do that job. Yeah, their assaulters with the army, you have eighteen deltas and they are eighteen deltas and they are the primary medic for that that squad. And pj's will help them, but the pjs are to rescue and recovery, right, and so that's the differentiation.
Speaker 5: And so and for you, you know, sort of focusing on this fission for a few years, were you afforded training opportunities to to go learn.
Speaker 2: Skills training up with these teams before you Yeah, so you're basically attached that team.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you live with them, you train with them, do you work ups with them? And then to get specialized training you have to be very specific on what you want to do, because you only have a finite amount of time, right, And so if you're a guy who needs a top off on medicine, like you get two weeks, what are you gonna do with it? Right? And so you're gonna spend a ton of money and get the best medical training you can get. And that's the differentiator too, between white white side and Tier one is that, like if I want to go, you know, to the best burn center in the world, like I can go there and top off on on burn injuries. And that's the thing when you talk about going into remote medicine and some of the safe house stuff, is that you have to specialize then, because I would have to do pharmacology stuff in the safe houses where it wasn't expected to be. On the on the assault side, I don't care, like just do just do good, you know, pain management, that's all we care about. If I'm living in a safe house and guy gets sick, I gotta take care of him. And so I would have to top off on those skills. And so guys like eighteen Deltas is very intuitive to them, they would know how to do it. But here I was the guy that could integrate with the assault mission, go back and forth to the IFO mission. But then I just need to top off on the medicin right here, and I can get I can get there fast, right And so I think that's the biggest uh. One of the best attributes of pjs within that world is that they're very quick to react to needs. And so you know, if you look at like a tech company, the successful tech company as the ones that can react to the needs of the customers very quickly and build a build a thing. PJS within a Tier one units are that, and they can say, oh, you want me to be in a ropes expert, gotcha, let me go to Montana real quick, or you know, get topped off and I'll become a you know, you know, elite climber. You know amg A certified and it's it's like that.
Speaker 5: And with medicine, you guys have access to some of the best hospitals in the United States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the best, all the best trauma hospitals in the United States are very good with work of the military, and you know, there's a lot of folks that work habitually with them. When you work at you know, big cities like there's you know, the shock traumas, and you know, any big city has a lot of violent you know. I think New Orleans is one of them. New York is one of them where you have a lot of stabbings and shootings. You're getting reps right, and you know, you know, and I I dote on the Rangers a lot, but the Ranger medics, their medics became the best in the tiers. I I feel like they had so much trauma, whether it be internal you know, to the regiment also host nation. They were doing so much stuff, and their pas and doctors were training them NonStop. So when they come off the missions when everyone else is playing video games, they were doing classes. And that's why they became so good what they did. And so when I I, I you had to do refreshers every two years, you know, to keep your currencies up. And every two years I would go through Softness, which is at Fort Bragg. And I could have gone to like you know, the the Gucci ones like and gone skiing and like done some medicine, get refreshed, right, But I knew it was so important that had to go with the best guys. They were doing no kiddy Military Medicine. So I did every single time, every single refresher I did at Sophomass, every single one of them. I never went to New Hampshire and went skiing. I never did in my whole career. And guys are like, dude, why don't. I'm like, I want to, but I have to have to be good at this. And what I realized was when I go there Ranger Medics, these guys would teach me a ton and then they started becoming instructors of softness. And I was so impressed by these guys because they were so switched on and they'd seen so much and they were able to uh instruct very well. I was. I was very impressed by the range of medics man. And so I I championed us getting back into that program because we kind of got pushed out of it and we got pushed back in. But I have a ton of respect for him man.
Speaker 5: So and they never like asked you what it was as business, the acronym that you used, uh those basic SYSM or those systems.
Speaker 3: Oh BSI yeah, no, no, never.
Speaker 5: Hammered you on that, no, man.
Speaker 3: I mean these guys were like, you know doing you know, buddy transfusions, they've done them in the field, and they were doing high end like uh, you know, just very creative medicine, and they were so good at what they did. And I I knew that if you want to be a good combat medic, you have to talk to the best combat medics guys. I've seen it. And so, like I said in the first mission, that I messed up, like that was my chance. And so if these guys were getting chances every night, man, they are going to be the best very fast. And so when you're working with very high end soft guys, they're not getting shot all the time, you know what I mean, You shouldn't be getting shot all the time, right, So the Rangers were getting shot a lot, you know, no offense, but they were getting shot a lot because they're going in some dangerous missions. And the Rangers took over Atfghinistan and they were basically a Tier one four in Afghanistan and they were killing it. Man, they were doing so many ops and they were kicking ass. Because everyone else is so focused on everything else in the world, They're like, we got this, and so they got a little reps. And so that's why I am That's why I love what they did and I respect the hell out of them.
Speaker 6: So you also mentioned, uh, there're some OTV ops that you were on.
Speaker 3: So in everyone's career, you want to do an OTV, right, so you want over the beach op? It sounds cool. I went to a theater and there was a team back in the States that were training for a mission. And I was already in theater and I was doing my thing. I was during cocktails and parties, and they're like, well, there's a PJ controller in theater. Like yeah, like okay, well we could just use them, right, And so these guys came out and was like I forget five or six guys and they're like, hey, you guys go to this OTV, Like, how hard is it. It's a swim into the beach. It's not rocket side. And so we did one one shakeout swim. They'd done like weeks of work up, we had done zero. Me and the controller like, how hard is this gonna be? It's like, it's a swim and so we uh we go into a destroyer. We go into a rib uh noel h X ribs, but uh we go to zodes and the zodes kick us off and we swim in, and we swim in to the hinterland in this remote region. We walk in and uh, I'm not on a night schedule, so I was really tired. And they were doing something. There was an activity. There's like a terrace camp right next to us, and uh, it's like our wreckie. We were doing something. I can't tell what, and I'm like bored out of my mind. It was the most boring. I mean, there was like a hundred guys sleeping like down a ridge line. You can see him, and like, we can't do anything about them, but we, uh, we do. We do our thing, whatever we're doing, and then we pull out to patrol out. And so I'm in the back of the formation. And if if there's any Navy you guys watching this, they'll know maybe you guys are not really good at like, uh, you know, patrolling, like the basic fundamentals of like you know, uh, you know, line formations or passing signals back and forth. They just kind of wing it right, So they're patrolling. Everyone's got their heads down, all in MP seven's and I'm walking in the back. I'm the second man. There's Roos security and these guys go to this ridge line and there's this uh there's just like this animal pen. So in this region they have like these they built these walls with those sticks to keep the lines out, and they have one entrance and so they know when the line's coming or whatever. And so and these guys rustle because these birds kick up and they come out and I see them nods. I'm like, holy crap. So I put my laser on them, and I stop, and I I'm like you no, no one's gonna look at it like this, and no one stops. They could keep going. I'm like, okay. So it's me and him and we're about to get a tick, and so my laser's on them. These guys get up. They got weapons, and I'm like, oh my gosh, of course, what's gonna happen right now? And the guy behind me sees it, puts his laser on it. So two of us and we stop. We're holding these guys know something's going on outside, and you know, like people in movies, you're like, oh, it's you know, two or three guys. It's easy to clean up. Like no, it could be very nasty, right, and so, but our entire force has gone over the beach to get their fins on to go swim back out, and we're standing there. I'm like, okay, and so we just stop and we wait. We'ren't there for five minutes, which is an eternity or not. Those guys never came back. They don't even notice we're even there. And so these guys finally chill out. They turn back around their weapons and go back down and you can see the ever little candle in there, and we patrol back out the we go back to the beach.
Speaker 5: I'm like, dude, what the hell are they gone?
Speaker 3: No, they're like where you guys A dude? There was two you know, yeah, And we swim back out and but there's so much like comedy within operations, within soft that we just get lucky so much, you know, and we swim back out. And it was funny when we swim back out to the destroyer. They had a they had a dip tank on the back of the fantail or like dipping our weapons you in fresh water, and all the gear and all these navy folks, like you know, conventional navy folks on the back and this chick's on the back. She's like, I know, y'all out there killing black folks, like we didn't kill anybody different. She's like going off on us, and one of the master chiefs there rips her new one, and I'm like, do people really say that kind of stuff? Like we come off an op like it's fucking crazy. No one has no idea what we're doing. And to make that comment is like, dude, like, no, we're actually really civilized people or doing some very gentlely stuffed in the inter lendstage, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean she's in the same military you are.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the other thing is the military is like us. There's this cognitive dissonance of what the military is like. The military is designed to fight and kill, right, that's what it is. Right. It's not there to win hearts and minds. It's not there to be shurew A force is there to kill. And if you don't process that information and come to terms with it, you're not a part of the solution. And so I think a lot of military folks because within the past twenty years, there's only handful of people that went to combat, right, the lot of people deployed. Within the people that deployed, there's only handful people actually went outside the wire and fought. But to the civilian, they look at it like, oh, you're in the military. I think of your service. You're like, oh, you went to Afghanistan. No, you're you're a bogram and you're a logistics person and you'd never left the wire, like and you had you know, you had coffee every day and good chow haul. And there was certain people that went and fought. And it's a very small group of people, and that's hard for people to understand, Like it's a small group man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now is you know, you're going on all of these you know, clean DestinE operations, you've done the more conventional operations, rescue operations, like you're becoming pretty like salty senior guy in the unit at.
Speaker 3: This point, and then you accidentally make grand great right right.
Speaker 5: And the Air Force, I mean, I know it used to be, but the Air Force used to be very hard.
Speaker 4: It was probably the hardest service to make rank in it is.
Speaker 3: And so if you've seen the movie like Pure Luck, like I dumb luck fall into things and so I meet E eight and I'm like, oh my god, and the Air Force is a big deal. You're like, oh, your career's over. And I'm like, if I can just hide as an E eight, maybe they'll still deploy me. I can just hang out here for a while. And so, you know, I deployed a couple of times in EAID, which is a big deal in the Air Force. And then finally they're like, hey.
Speaker 5: Dude, cause you're supposed to be managing people, you're supposed to be go into ops, right, you gotta go to ops, man, you got to pay your penance.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I want to go to OPS. And so I went out and did a thing as an EA and it was like a big deal. They're like, you can't be doing that stuff anymore. I'm like, this is all I want to do in my life, right, this is what I what I'm designed to do, This is what I trained to do. Is what I want to do. And they threw me in OPS and this is funny. I mean it's not comment really, it's not sexy. But I went to OPS and I'm like, you know, it's like super Bad or what's the movie? When it's like FML, It's like this is my life now. And so I did that for six months and they're like, hey, Green Team Selection open up and we need a senior guy to go there. Do you want to go do that? I'm like, yes, yes, absolutely, give me out of ops. And so I went there and and that that was really formative for me as a leader. I learned how to lead in a different way. I had been leading the past, leading the way I saw other people lead, and I thought that was where it would do it, and it was not authentic for me. And so I got a chance to kind of reset for myself and say, listen, I'm not a hard ass. I'm not. I want to be, but I'm not. I'm never going to be. I'm a nice guy. You know. I can connect with people, and so that's what I need to do. And so when I ran selection training, I got to kind of cut my teeth doing that. And then from selection training I went to twenty fourth sts and became the chief there as the senior you know enlisted.
Speaker 5: So this is kind of putting you on the spot and take your time in answering this. But if you had to pick like a fictional or a real character.
Speaker 3: Chuck Norris, there, you go, okay.
Speaker 5: No, but based on how you thought you were supposed to lead. Yeah, And then how you actually became a leader.
Speaker 3: Where you see hard asses and you know in TV, and I grew up with hard asses right as leaders and I was and Kenniley they were, they were great. Man. I was like, those guys are bad, you know, bigger in life and and in the Rage of Battalion. You guys know, if you're you know, seen a guy in the Rage Attalia, you're a hard ass, right. But what I realized was that my superpower was you know, connecting with folks and being empathetic and having high IQ with folks, and so I could still be just as effective and not have to be that guy. But it took me a while to figure it out because I was immature, you know. And so as I became more mature and became more self aware and comfortable in my own skin, I realized that I could lead a different way. And you know, is that a kind of gentler you know, military maybe. I mean, you know, I still have a temper. I can still get mad.
Speaker 6: I think you put your thumb on it pretty well.
Speaker 2: That the screaming and the yelling and like that's a lot of like trying to throw up a smoke screen to compensate for an inability of leadership.
Speaker 5: I think there, but there's also a time for that, maybe like when molding people. But you're also but even Ranger Battalion changed dramatically from like the time I got there, when I was there, which was pre g WATT and when as from what I understand, as you know, through the g WATT as it became more professionalized that you know, people started treating your leaders started treating it was a professional organization.
Speaker 4: You know, it was very capable when I was there.
Speaker 3: But I remember the stories the rate of attalian where they like throw fire excus you guys, you just walking back and forth and then throw extinguishers. I mean I heard the stories.
Speaker 4: From them were just ranger games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you understand, you understand the dynamic of it's like, you know, it's doggy dog, right, and you know, if you're a if you're the Tier one operator, supposed to be a little bit moreture.
Speaker 4: Right, right.
Speaker 3: And so here I was leading these guys that were very capable and they're all extremely competent. They were all you know, combat hardened guys. They didn't need me to be right, like I had my reps right, But Kimly, it didn't matter. My job was to support them where they were at right and be a good leader for them and be the leader that I never received. And so you know, it's easy to say that I will. I can be very honestly and tell you that I did the best I could to be that guy, and I think I did a decent job of doing it. But it was it was an inflection point for me personally, and it was a big growth, you know, moment for me.
Speaker 4: I just to clarify a point when you talked about going to OPS.
Speaker 5: That sounds really sexy, but for people who don't know, OPS is like operational planning.
Speaker 4: It's not sexy.
Speaker 3: Doing sit revs and like sending gear to guys overseas, like it's terrible. Yeah, I mean someone's got to do it, you know, it's an important job. I just felt like I felt like I was the pony in the in the in the you know, the paddock that was like a kicking and I wasn't ready to go into the stable. I was like, I want to keep dancing, and uh, probably the best knowledge I could figure, you know, but for me personally, I just wasn't ready to hang it up. But in the Air Force, when you get to that point a senior, you're done. And in the Army especially, you know, within the tier one unit you can be an E nine and running gun right until the day you retire, right, And I think that's awesome. In the Navy, you can do it to a certain extent, but they're not the same as the Army because there's a lot of nines in the Army and the Air Force there's not a lot of E nines. And so if you're in A nine, it's like, holy crap, we need you to go here, and we need you to manage you know, this this program with this unit, and it's not sexy, it's grunt work. We need guys to do it. We need good guys to do it. And so I you know, when I wasn't one of those guys, I was really excited about going to twenty fourth to be the chief. I never aspired to be that A lot of guys did. I never did. But when they asked me to do I was like, yeah, I'll do it for them. And and my wife knows this, she was like, I was like, I don't know how I can do all this stuff. And I was like, I want to be a good leader for them, and so I really tried. I tried really hard to be well. I should have been in that unit, but it was not prestigious for me. There was no like, uh, it wasn't like meeting my chest. I was like I made it. I was like, I was like, oh, crap at this job and it's gonna be hard, and I have to deal with all these people issues and all these guys are in harm's way. And we were non stop deployed and we never stopped deploying our unit, just like a lot of these units were deployed since nine eleven into perpetuity and so until just recently they stopped deploying. Right, you know, Afghanistana racks draw down Syria their home, and that's when the real problems come in, Right, that's when guys are like, now you're getting duys. Now you're getting the guys with you know, domestic issues. I didn't have those issues.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just had a bunch of pipe hitters. They're doing great things, and they were very mature and they were capable. I had the best, you know, I had the best situation.
Speaker 4: So what year did you take over? Like the Green Team.
Speaker 3: Was it maybe twenty seventeen.
Speaker 5: So and you went in two thousand and three, two thousand and two, two thousand and three, Oh not not to Greene yeah Green Team.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 5: How had by the time you got there? How had it changed over them so much?
Speaker 3: So here's the biggest thing that changed how we selected folks. And so if you guys came to us in the unit, you put your package in, you know, we're like, okay, you got a duy here, it was five years ago. Have you learned from it? Okay, keep your nose clean? Okay, maybe we'll talk to you. Okay, you get through the front door just from your package, you know, interview, come to selection, and then we do this process where we we really get to know the person, the individual, their psyche. When you're saying, how they make decisions. We put them in situations, ethical dilemmas, We do all these things that really breaks down the individual and how they think, which is way more important than how much you lift. Do We still want you to be a stud absolutely, You got to right, You got to you gotta do the long ruck, you gotta run fast, you gotta care eavy things.
Speaker 5: You got to keep up with the seals. You got to keep up with the rangers.
Speaker 3: You get, that's an expectation. But here's what we're asking you to do. We're asking you to have a very clear ethical compass. We're asking you to make good decisions under stress. We're asking you to have a high EQ and IQ like we're looking at those things. Okay, we're not taking dummies. We have very smart guys within the special the Air Force Special Operations side. They're they're very competent dudes, and we test them and we test them amongst their peers. And so one of the questions, it's funny, like I was thinking about, you know, talking to you guys about this, is that you know, one of the questions is would you want to be in a car with this guy for I think it was like eight hour car? And that's a good question, right, Do I want to ride in a car with you for eight hours? What does that mean? Does it mean I like you? Doesn't mean I can get along with you? Can you? Can you blend into a team room? Can you deal with other folks? Can you do that and also keep your moral compass? Because that's an ethical dilemma that exists going with other tears and so our guys have done a really good job of staying above afray, and I'm really proud of them.
Speaker 5: So wasn't that a question that beck With had had was do I want to paddle upstream with the guy?
Speaker 4: With this guy?
Speaker 5: Could have been yeah, yeah, when we talk to Dan Coulson, yeah.
Speaker 6: Beck With, Uh, that's a whole other story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But that's but that's important, right in the sense of outside of this person being a high performer, Like if it's just if it's just he and I out there for three days, I.
Speaker 3: Don't care how fast you run. I don't I don't care how much weight you can lift. I want you to be able to carry your own weight. But I also want you to make good decisions understress. And so that's not very it's it's a hard thing to tease out. And so we we would have psychologists in their non stop with us looking at our bias, right, because I have bias, and so if I'm hiring somebody, I want some probably to look like me, you know what I mean. And you probably do the same thing, and you're like, hey man, he's you know, he's a puss, Like he's not like me, And so you're going to basically dismiss that guy, or if you're an extrovert, he's an introvert, like he can't be like me. Yeah, And what we realized was is that, you know, when we talk about diversity in the military and people roll their eyes at it because it's been it's been miscategorized, it's diversity of thought. And we want people to think differently and can solve problems differently, differently than me because it makes me stronger, right, And so if we can do that as an organization, you can be successful. And all of the units are kind of changing their selection models to tease these things out. You know, back in the you know, eighties and nineties, it was like how fast can you run? How good can you shoot? We need more than that now, and we need guys that can operate in their own And so I think the soft operators of today are far superior than of my generation. And I think that's fair to say because I am that. You know, I think we were pretty good and we're pretty damn hardy because we did a lot of combat. But were we prepared. I don't think we were. I wasn't prepared. We prepared these guys because we looked at all the gaps in our lives and our careers, and we said, we're going to fill those in with training, and we're fill us in with experience. And so you know, when guys get selected to be Green Toy instructors, there are guys that are combat hardened dudes that can come in there and sit down with you. Go listen, dude, this is why you're messing up. And this is what you need to change. If you're a combat con troubler, here's what you need to think about when you run a stack, and here's why you have to think about it this way. If you're a PJ, this is why you can't do medicine this way. This is why you're gonna get someone killed. And we finally finally have the experience to sit there and say that very you know, emphatically and with a position of authority, which we didn't have in the nineties. So when I went through sock them, there was a bunch of guys never went to combat. Right they're telling me about how to treat a casually. They never treated casually. Right now, when I go through soft miss with it ragio medic and he's saying, hey, Chad, you're messing this up. I'm like, holy crap, and knows what he's talking about, right, right, I'm gonna listen to him, right, And so I think that's a pretty important distinction. But here, here's the butt is that we're losing it, and we're losing it today because all senior guys are getting out and leaving because they're pissed off. Right, And you're gonna have an atrophy of experience, and the next fight is gonna be way harder than the g WAT Right, It's gonna be ten times harder than what we did in Afghanistan Iraq. When we're talking about great power competition, guys fight with nods and lasers and aircraft overhead. Dude, you have to be the best. And you know technology will tip the scale to a certain extent, we still have to be a very confident operator that knows how to make good decisions and stress.
Speaker 5: Is there any way in your opinion to not lose it because we lost it after War two.
Speaker 3: It's already it's already been lost. And so you know, every service will tell you that I talked to see a lot of time to say the same thing. And we're losing it, and we're pushing people out because we want people to comply. Right. I know we're not getting political in this, but there is there is an element of like, hey, you need to play ball or you need to leave. And so a lot of people are leaving. They don't want to play ball like that. It's incongruent with their values. And so you have this, you know, in in industry they call it what the Great resignation and people just you know, or people silently quitting. You have that in soft too. People are leaving. And so who stays behind? You know, who stays in the senior positions. It's the people that you really want to be senior guys to beat their chest, and not all of them, that's that's not an absolute.
Speaker 5: Sure, But it's the people who enjoy who don't mind the political the political game that that happens at that senior.
Speaker 3: I never wanted to be in a nine. When I got it, I was like, oh crap, I make a little bit more money, not a lot, but I got to be a good e nine. And but if your motivation is to have more stripes or all those things, you're you're the wrong guy. And so how do you, how do you suss that out? That's a that's a hard question to answer. I don't have the answer.
Speaker 5: You got a questions for Chad, Yeah, we do, and just out of curious before we get to the questions, like you had this real sort of breadth of experience because taking somebody that's a shooter and a medic and then all the ancillary skills, but also putting them into more of an intel oriented like the you know, like the OPE and O p B, which requires tradecraft and is more of a thinking man's game. As supposed as that, that's very fluid in a lot of ways. Can you select people that or do you try to select people that encompass all that or do you recognize that some people are going to be good at certain things.
Speaker 3: For that mission? Yes, I mean I'm like in Green Team. Well, yet we have we've we've found guys like holy Craft, that's the guy for this job. Yeah, okay, And we pulled guys straight from Green Team. They've never done the salt side. They went straight to the other side because they're just that they're super you know, cerebral, you know, super talented. But you know, maybe they went to a school and got an engineering degree, and they might be too smart for the job. They're about to go do right, and we're like, yeah, guy, listen, I get it. You want to go run again, you probably need to go do this right. And so that exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool that they're recognizing that so early on. Yeah, because yeah, I mean, as you alluded to, I mean, when I left the military in twenty ten, the guys who had engineering degrees, who had I mean everyone, they were all getting out, you know, guys who had opportunities to get a full ride to med school, Guys who had putting in flight packets.
Speaker 3: I mean, all kinds of stuff happening. So innovation is a big topic is brought up in the military all time. And the folks that are like innovators and the folks that think that way usually get out after their first and listening because they're soill frustrated, right, yeah, And that's the folks that we need to they and for two enlistments to change the world. Right. So it just it's the weird di echonomy of the military.
Speaker 5: And it's interesting too because the military resists innovation so hard.
Speaker 3: Well, they don't like failure, they like innovation because it sells. But failure is incongruent with what you know, the model of success, and so you have to accept failure to have innovation. You can't have one with you the other. Yeah, you can't have Oh we're going to innovate, but we always have to be successful, like you never.
Speaker 6: Get the zero fail or risk aversion.
Speaker 3: And so I understand that now on the outside, now that I'm in industry, that you know, all the successful tech companies are taking a lot of risk and failing and they're going to find success because they're failing so much r Right, they're learning from it.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, learnt a product and find out that it doesn't do what they thought it was going to do, but it appeals to a different market that they never even imagined. Yeah, it's very interesting. Okay, let's get to these questions here. Uh, Anthony, thank you very much. What has been your experience is working with soft tax Peeh, what's your take on the restructuring for tech pe moving forward strike teams, reconteams and if you can also lead off with Thomas, what tac P is.
Speaker 3: So tac P is Terminal Air Control Party and they're basically the old school guys you used to call you know, naval gunfire and also you know basically sort of you know, uh the mission that CCTs do tech piece did for a long time, right, I love tech Piece. I love tech Piece. You know some of my favorite j tax or tech Piece. We had a lot of tech Piece of the unit. We started bringing them on and they were super super capable guys, their studs. So, you know, the app socks going through a kind of a reshuffle. They're trying to figure out their mission. I think allsoft is, but specifically as SoC and I think a lot of the legacy missions that were we know are going away, and so who will survive this kind of change? I don't know, that's beyond you know, but my my pay grade, I don't have pay grade.
Speaker 5: But are you attack p uh, They're potentially like on the cutting board.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not saying that, but I will say that the GAT model of like you know, calling cast is probably going to go away for the Great Power Competition because it's not gonna be a guys in the trenches, you know, on a on satcom, you know, calling and strikes. It's going to be technology empowering, you know, missions deeper in targets and illuminating them and then making decisions with semi autonomy and autonomy, and so if soft doesn't embrace that, they're going to lose the next fight. That's I mean, that's just the reality. Like, autonomy is a thing, and you know, China is doing it very well, the US is doing it, and the the military is trying to embrace it. But autonomy is scary and the opposite of what we experienced, where you know, the Golden Hour is going to be a thing of the past in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to maintain a casualty out of the field. You're not it's going to be contested. Airspace comms are going to be unreliable, yeah.
Speaker 3: And GPS denied. I mean you're talking about you know, fighting, you know near peer We say it all the time. What does that mean? That means the guy that you're fighting has the same tech that you do. Right. We fuck cavemen and got our asses kicked half the time, right, And so we need to we always have to have a competitive advantage we go into fighting, and so we our competitive advantage in the past has been aircraft. It has been and every service will tell you that is tip the scale. Every single you know, engagement has been aircraft. When things get too bad, guess what we're calling the air force and they're gonna slam this this compound. Well, if we can't do that, because those guys are in air to air fight, how do you push through, right? And And that's a really I don't know how to answer that.
Speaker 5: And particularly if we're looking at China, because not only do they have close to the technology, they have all the technology we have because there, because they're industrial, astmonage is so great, you know, Jackson, thank you very much. What do you make of APSTOC trying to become a more unilateral force. Are you optimistic or hesitant on the transition?
Speaker 3: And why? It depends. I mean, it depends who's in charge. It depends on what they want to do with it. And so what we shouldn't do is become a better mousetrap, you know. So appstocks should basically play off their strengths. You know, we are very capable in technical forces that can you know, kind of multiply the battlefield. And so if they you know, if they focus on those strengths and they flip that into the next fight, they can be very successful as a unilateral force if they try to be a better assault for US, I mean, cool man like.
Speaker 5: And this sort of goes back to the question about like the seals out there doing you know, the fo work, the you know, the prep.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 5: Every mission was sexy, right, and everybody wants the money. So when it was when it was the War on Drugs, everybody got into counter narcotics. When it was the GAT, everybody became a strike force, and then everybody started moving into the intel the trade craft you know, everybody developed even though they are units specified for that, everybody became became the master of all. And is this sort of what they're talking about with ass SoC that there are people who think that okay, well shooting CQB shooting, like, we can do that too, we can have our own teams to do this. Or is it going a different direction.
Speaker 3: So I personally don't think that we're going into that kind of conflict. I don't think that's the thing. And I think the Navy has been a pretty good, you know kind of I guess weather vane for where they're going. They're going away from some of those traittional missions, and so is SF. You know, the SF teams are going back to you know, and going back to their core skills, right, the things that are the differentiators that they're really good at. And you know, for a long time it was direct action was sexy, like you just described, and everyone will do direct action because that was kind of the bar to pass, to be you know, the guy, the cool guy. Yeah, and so now that we're transitioning, you know, SEF is saying, holy crap, we need to go back to our core skills. And they are the navies going back to diving and go back to the maritime missions.
Speaker 2: I've heard they have one of the NSW has one of the probably the best drone program in UH in special ops.
Speaker 4: Now, see like water drowns your air drones both both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean well, I mean tech is empowering those things, and there's a lot of autonomous you know, underwater vehicles that are doing great things. Tech is a differentiator, and so whoever can adopt early tech is going to be successful in my opinion, And it's not just because the position I'm in now, which hopefully we.
Speaker 4: Talk about we will, we absolutely will.
Speaker 3: But I think that you know, for AFT SoC they have to find their way as I find what's unique to them. You know, what, what aircraft do they have that are very unique that they can employ. They're getting rid of a lot of assets right now in a SoC they're getting rid of a lot of C twenty two is AC went thirties and so you know, some of it's a forcing function to get to the next fight, you know. So I don't know. I mean, that's probably a better question to ask the seen owlers as.
Speaker 4: SoC I hate to see the act go away. It just makes me sad.
Speaker 3: And ten and I mean a lot of leve atens. If you're if you're a if you're a ground force, you know how good the atens are and how important they are.
Speaker 4: Jackson, thanks again, uh As for Tier one.
Speaker 5: How would you characterize the difference between the Army and the Navy side.
Speaker 4: Did you have a preference with working with one.
Speaker 3: I think they're both amazing, right, you know, they're different, they're super you know, in the early days, the Navy was really good at making things happen, and the Army was very very process driven. I think the Army adopted a lot of the Navy's kind of nuances and they became just as just as adaptive. I gotta be honest. In the later years, it was really hard to differentiate the two. They had specific capabilities. They did really well. It was a maritime mission obviously in Navy. But the Army, dude, they are I mean that unit for Bragg, they can do any mission on their son and they could probably do the maritime mission too if they wanted to. But no, there's no favorite.
Speaker 5: So you're saying that if the Navy learned basic patrolling, that.
Speaker 3: They would they would right now. They could work up too if they cared about it. It was just its priorities, right. But but a lot of the Army guys, so the the guys from that unit were either former Rangers or SF so they had a very fundamental like infantry infantry background they all, and so they understood that. It was very intuitive to them. Right, maybe he's not man, It's like maybe he's like hucke it. They're they're like the full players are gonna throw hell Mary where you know. The Army is like, okay, we can get it first down by doing this right, names like nah, we're going for touchdown, you know.
Speaker 4: Ian, Thank you very much?
Speaker 5: Oh, Dave, Now is your chance to ask the only to ask about the only basic training you didn't go through. Uh, what questions do you have about it?
Speaker 4: I don't have any question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, did you guys use exercise bikes.
Speaker 3: In the Air Force and the Air Force now? No, I wish they had them. It's been great.
Speaker 4: That that was the only thing I missed, and apparently I didn't miss it.
Speaker 3: Exercise bikes.
Speaker 4: No defend you defend you CQB.
Speaker 5: So somebody with the fair baron Psykes, Kelly McCann, Carlos Stari Heritage, thank you very much for the donation. Brendan g great guest, great stories, best wishes to you all. Be Thanks Brendan Graham, thank you very much. Thanks for the great conversation. Thoughts on SWT now special reconnaissance and what role they play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was formerly like the weather crew field we had, which is you know, the combat weather guys. Yeah, so they rebranded them as a special reconnaissance which I think is right. That sounds it sounds better, way better. The mission initially was like all over the map, is like we're gonna do all these things. You have to be specialized a couple of things, right, You have to be good at a couple of things, and so it has unlimited potential to be a really great career field. And you know, we need it now because reconnaissance is more important now than ever, and especially if you can overlay technology into reconnaissance. And so I think it's you know, potentially, it's a it's a great pathway. Obviously I'm biased because I'm a PJ. So you know, let me just check with that a diplomatic answer.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was great, Isaac. The Air Force is said to have the best tech. So does is spec Ops.
Speaker 4: Have more advanced tech than other units?
Speaker 3: Does spec Ops or Air Force?
Speaker 4: The Air Force Special Operations?
Speaker 3: Man? No, I don't think they do. I think the Navy has been really early adopters technology. The Army is really keen on us and it's the really ahead on that. And the Air Force again is going through this kind of like the teenage years of who am I? And they're looking in the mirror like what do I want to be? Do I need this? Or do need this? And so the Navy knows, hey, I need these these technology to empower our maritime platforms. So they're going to do it. And the Army is the same way if you look at some of the drone racing stuff they're doing. The Army is taking advantage of that big time, and they're bringing industry in Mayby. It's doing the same thing. The air Force is kind of like, you know, you have you have airplanes, right, So here's the dichotomy with air force. When you look at the Army and special forces, it's all about special forces right with as Socket's not it's about aircraft, and they have really small cutout which is special warfare, which is you know, air Force, air.
Speaker 2: Force, it's all about like strategic bombers and fighter jets.
Speaker 3: Within as Sock it's it's CB twenty two and like doing infox foo. But then you have these guys over here they're like, hey, we want to change the world, and they're like, got it, guys. But the money goes over here, right, And so NSW is paying to seals and they have these maritime programs that you have a lot of money, but it's to empower the seals, right. And so aspstock's the only one that's like, well, we do all this stuff for the other services, and then we have this small component of folks that do really special stuff, but we also want to help these people, and so it will never reach their potential because they're always looking outwards instead of going how do we empower this? Right? And so the first question, how do you do it unilateral? Well, you have to stop being a service provider, right and start saying what do we want to do? And if you don't want to do anything, that's fine too, but if you do, you have to do an all stop and say, listen, these TV twenty two's exist for these guys and whatever their mission set's going to dictate. And and that's a it's going to take having some special tactics guys in senior positions, which we do. The A three of ass socc right now is as a former comic controller as a comic controller general. And that's a big deal for us, you know, isn't rappen for so.
Speaker 5: And so that I mean, that makes total sense because you guys have been force multipliers, you've been adjuncts in a way to the other you know, to the other services, and without that identity of where we're the tip of the spear, right, not we're part of the tip of the spear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's gonna be they're gonna have to decide what they want to be. It's not my decision on right to tell you my experiences, and my experience was empowering those other tiers, right, you know, do I think that I was capable to do other things? Absolutely, but it wasn't my job. And if you could.
Speaker 5: Wave a magic wand and make sts what you wanted it to be, oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a tough one. That's a tough thing to answer right now, because you know I have again bias is included here and my experience and so.
Speaker 4: And that's fair. I mean, I'm asking you with your bias and your experience.
Speaker 3: It's it's a numbers game, right, and so special Forces I was doing the numbers. I think it's like eight thousand.
Speaker 4: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you look at the eighty second has less folks and specialize in the range of Rettalian. So the question I always had was what makes you special? And you know, I asked folks, I asked this, and when I was going through the what is it called just soft sea which is a special operations senior listed thing? And so what what makes special operations special? Is it numbers? Is it technology? Is it mission? And no one can really answer the question because when special operations are soft, he has a lot of people. And then within uh, you know, the Green Break community, there's there's thousands of them, and not all of them are like, you know, doing everything right. There's like guys are specialists in this and this. Within nsb's a little bit smaller, but still thousands of them. In our career full there's you know, there's maybe hundreds, and so does that make you special? I don't know. I don't know if it does. It's just a numbers game. It's it sounds cooler, but how do you get to that point? I don't think you do it without numbers? And so if you have a Green Break community you want to go and do ex mission, you can reorient all those people to go do that with the training and money. That's a tough question.
Speaker 6: So let's hear about your transition.
Speaker 2: You finally after running and gun in and suffering through admitt and then getting to be you know, senior enlisted in the squadron.
Speaker 3: I mean you kind of had the career, you know, from a career.
Speaker 6: I mean you had the career.
Speaker 2: You went from twenty one to forty one or twenty two to forty one.
Speaker 3: From then, you.
Speaker 4: Did it all most. I mean you did it all. You did it a lot. Yeah, and you do it all.
Speaker 2: You talked more, you talked about, you know, the compartmentalization driving on in all of this, and then you finally hit that moment of retirement.
Speaker 6: I mean, what was that like for you?
Speaker 3: Transition sucked. I took a job. I was the director of an innovation institute for a year, and uh, I learned about hiring and firing, learned about dealing with, you know, people that weren't like me. It was a transition and I was super depressed. You know. We talked about before we started this is that purpose is really important and you have it inherently when you're in the military. You don't have them when you get out. And it's a reality. So just brace yourself for that. And uh, I did that job for a year. What I what I did do was I got a I got a call and there was an opportunity to go help some orphans from Ukraine to Poland. Oh wow, And I was like a man. And so I went to my boss and I was like, hey, man, I was like, I need to take some unpaid leave. I'm gonna do this, and they were good enough to say, yeah, okay. I think they knew I was probably gonna quit. They didn't let me do it. But I thought I was gonna fill my bucket, you know, in my bucket and give me a sense of purpose. And I went out there and did it, and it didn't fill anything. And I came back home and I ended up resigning after a month. I was like, I can't do this anymore. And I told my wife. I was like, I just need to maybe go fishing every day and just be retired. And I was retired for six hours. Buddy buddy of mine from a big company called me. He's like chat, he goes, you need to talk to these guys from California. And I'm like, okay. I was on my back porch. I think I was probably drinking bourbon and these guys and they're like, hey man, you know, just bros from you know, California, and like we're gonna build a low cost cruise missile. I'm like, okay, I didn't expect that. I was like, all right, so what what does that mean? How do you do low cost? They told me, you know, their designs like modular like Lego set for the cruise missile at a manufacturer. I'm like, I'm in And so I joined this team and it was three of us, and it was the closest thing I felt. You know, this is called teamhouse. It was the closest thing I felt to being back into a team post military, because it was guys that I identify with, that I get along with, and that we're oriented towards a purpose with. And you know, we started this company, Firestorm Labs, and we've been doing it for you know, six seven months now, building a modular US and it's the closest thing I found to get into what you know, we've been describing this whole time. And I needed it, man, you know, because we talk about purpose. You know, purpose is really hard to find the backside. And so the guys that get out, you know, I think this is a good opportunity to talk about is that it's not the same and you will be isolated, you're on your own. It's it's never gonna be cool again. And you have to warn that career. And so once you move on from it, you can like grow and and and be better. But for me, you know, join the team that I'm on now with Firestorm, which is the company. It's been awesome, and so I've taken a lot of other jobs. I've got our you know, you know companies that I work with. One is Lifeline Rescue Tools, which is basically, uh, it's a think about glass break you know, times thousand cuts through lemonade glass, you know, first responder stuff. I'm like, that's great, I get you behind that product. Development's do it. And the other ones. Fox Trot three is a company we started with a bunch of operators Faith, Family Freedom and so that's basically family values getting back to make that cool again in America. And so things that can wrap my brain around and orient and and really push hard is all I need. And so because you're not part of a team anymore, and you get out, no one, no one cares. Yeah, like you're on your own. Yeah you guys know that, I mean, yeah, yeah, you're forgotten very quickly.
Speaker 2: So I've tried, I've tried to describe the people you know that you could be, you know, the sergeant major of Delta Force, total badass dude you get out to hire walking around the streets out here. It's not that people don't like you, that they're anti military or something. But you say I was a command sergeant major of this, you know, jaysck unit, they're gonna look at you.
Speaker 6: I mean, what is jay sock? What is command sergeant major?
Speaker 3: And it's not that it's not that the experiences aren't meaningful. They're certainly right, right, and they're they're meaningful in in your brotherhood, right. And so if we sit around and we drink bourbon together, like we can have shared experiences and we have the kind of common bona fides, right, Yeah, but you have to get over it and you have to warn it and move past. Yeah, And if you don't, you're not gonna be successful next life. You're stuck in them. But if you say, listen, I had a great run. It was a cool experience and did some cool stuff and now moving on. And you know, I do these conversations because I think they're cathartic. I think they're healthy. But at the end of the day, like that's my old life, man, exactly, there's nothing to do with me.
Speaker 5: Now and that moving on though, Also, like like you mentioned with the startup, there's also the issue of finding purpose. Like if you try to move on and you're just doing some menial jobs somewhere that doesn't fill you with that same purpose. And you know, we talk about post traumatic stress, and then we talk about this idea of transitioning, which is a nebulous Okay, I was doing something meaningful. I had people to my left and right that I trusted with my life, even if I couldn't stand them, And now I'm out in this world where there really is no meaning.
Speaker 3: So here's the best way I can define it for folks that are preparing to transition or perhaps have transition, is that I felt like life was black and white. It was kind of a gray and there was no color to it, and there was no excitement. And it was a really heavy thing to deal with because you're like, holy crap, man, like life is boring. Yeah, and you know some people are like, oh, you should get back into skydiving or something like, well, let's go buy a fast car and go test myself.
Speaker 5: Right. That's changing the dragon, right, right, that's dangerous behavior.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I struggle with it for the past year and I was like, man, it's like, how do I get back to normal? And what I realized was you're talking to some really smart people and people I trust. Is that it will never be that normal. It's different. And so once you embrace that and you accept it, you say that he listen, that was a part of my life. It's exciting, it's fun, there's cool stories you can talk about. It will never be that again, and you have to warn that process. And so that's what I'm going through right now. And it's difficult, man. And like some guys are better than I am. Some guys are more mature than I am and can find success. Maybe it's financially they want it, maybe it's you know, purpose in a in a career. But for me, I found the best kind of segue is I have a small team of people that I trust. We have a we're orienting on a task and a purpose, and I can make it successful because I know how to do that right. And so I think that's the most important aspect to me. It's healthy for me. But I will tell you going back to the compartmentalization, is that guys like us have been very good at doing that and where we can walk down the street and no one will notice any difference. The fact is is that we're we're keeping these things wrap and we're doing our own detriment, right, And so until we let those things go and process them, they'll continue to be kind of the mill center on her neck. And so I've been using conversations like this is as the catharsis of letting him go, right. I mean, I'm gonna tell you guys some cool stories, cool man like, I'm not gonna tell you classified stuff, but let's let it out right, and you know, failures and successes they're here man, right, but this next life is mine, is what I make it right.
Speaker 5: I absolutely agree with you, and we've had you know, I feel like I did. First off, I'll say that like I feel like Jack is one of those people that's dealt really well with that transition.
Speaker 3: I mean like he's very well adjusted. We're in a sweater now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's automated.
Speaker 4: I mean he has a he has a saltwater.
Speaker 5: Tanks, like he knows who he is, you know, but you know through the.
Speaker 2: Interviews, I've also been out for twelve years actually say probably helps.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there was there's is.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you saying that.
Speaker 2: I would also point out, though, like I had that period of adjustment as well, that was like quite difficult to even though I wasn't as in as long as you were. I didn't operate on the same level that you did. But just being in the military eight years as a young man and coming out, there's definitely a period of time where I had to figure things out.
Speaker 5: Well, it was eight years, but it was it was it was, it was your it was the formative year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly hard years of comment exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you know, and we've had a number of people on the show that have have talked about whether it's post traumatic stress or whether it's just the adaptation of life after the military, because one of the things that a wartime military does for you, like you said, is it gives you purpose.
Speaker 4: Like combat is pure, right, there's you're not worrying.
Speaker 3: About fun taxes.
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 5: It It is what you dreamt of when you were when you were a kid.
Speaker 3: Throwing Yes, it turns into real grenades. Yeah, and it is satisfying.
Speaker 5: The only difference is now you don't have to argue over who shot who first, right, But it's a very pure endeavor. And then to move into a world that's very ambiguous where.
Speaker 3: You know the answers well, so I'd be remiss not to say this is and we talked about this before we started, is that I have a really deep respect for conventional forces. Right, And here's what I'll say is that soft gets all the fanfare, we also get a lot of the support. Yeah, so you know when I I tore both acls and I got you know, all this great care, had great physical therapists and feel surrounded me helping me. You know, when you're a conventional troop and you're doing hard yards and Baghdad or even a Afghanistan, like, there's not a whole hell of a lot there for those guys. And so I would tell the guys that are listening, because there's probably guys that are, is that I have a deep respect for those dudes and their service is no less than mine. We are Prima Donna's and Soft And so you know, getting on black helicopters with the best pilots in the world, right, not good pilots, the best pilots in the world that take us the X and put one wheel down and you jump off on the rooftop and you go slam a target and you get out in thirty minutes.
Speaker 4: And you're hitting when you know every ready's sleep.
Speaker 3: You know, you come back and do you come back and drinking beers and playing Xbox right right? Those people don't get is that you're you're spoiled, right and so and do you want to do Hell yeah, you want to do not because because you're gonna have every resource available. Those kids, those kids, men and women, did it with no resources. And I think there's a lot to be said about that, and I think it gets lost in the kind of the the nostalgia and the romance of soft in that you know, soft isn't any better than.
Speaker 5: Those guys or galas like you say, soft is sexy and you and and they have the budget, they get the training. But we've had like Louis Fernandez, Raymond pat like, we've had people on that and we we want more conventional you know, we're we want more conventional soldiers and uh marines on because they were living it every day.
Speaker 4: Their employments were longer.
Speaker 5: With not a lot of care on the backside, right right, They didn't have the support they they couldn't they didn't have you know an AC one thirty you know hovering above, which is a pacifier for operators, right it is absolutely you know, when you hear that lawnmower, the great lawnmower in the sky, like the bad guys hear that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I think it's it's it's pretty important to recognize and and if you don't, maybe you're you're tone deaf. But yeah, I think Soft guys in general realize that, you know, we've been spoiled for a long time and for a good reason. Like we've had really hard missions. We've done most of the combat, like Soft has done almost all the combat the past twenty years. Actually that's not true towards the end end years. Yeah, for sure. But you know, I don't take it for granted that those kids were, you know, walking the streets and basically completely vulnerable when I was sitting in a safe you know, mss, you know, drinking beers and when I wasn't supposed to do.
Speaker 5: Uh, but you weren't doing anything that any like major and above what do whatever?
Speaker 6: I can say now that's factual information.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have just I think I need to get back to the view.
Speaker 4: We have a.
Speaker 5: Couple more questions real quickly, just popped up, So I just want to go over real quickly. I'm pulling this up. Uh, we know about launch Firestorm dot com right, that's that's Firestorm Laves.
Speaker 4: There's also Firestorm Labs.
Speaker 3: It does games.
Speaker 4: That's not them.
Speaker 5: And then you said fox Trot three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then what was the other lifeline rescue?
Speaker 4: Lifeline rescue, So they're all down in the link.
Speaker 5: And then we had one question that was, uh or when we had like two more Graham more Portanite plans for retirement, thank you for the generation, and we got that and then Jerry, oh we have two more Jerry, what would you choose, uh, wortthog or AC one over your head for what measure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends. I mean here, here's a story I'll tell you about A or and a tens. So we were we were doing up and we patrolled into this like wheat field and uh, we're completely surrounded by compounds and it was bad. We knew it was about to pop off. We knew it was about to pop off, like it was coming to just win. And our AC went thirty got pulled for HVI for the other task force. They're like, hey, we got HVI, we need a one thirty. They pulled AC one thirty and we're like holy crap. So we had a you know, we had an empty nine and uh, We're like, we're screwed and we're about to get in a tick. We knew it and it was coming any second and it popped off and we we were pinned down. We were fighting our way out of there the main and Salt Force was way back behind us. We were a recue team and we were just getting it. I mean, we're we're like, holy crap, bringing and die. And the controller was back to the Maine Salt Force knew we were in a tick and we're calling back like holy shit. We're like this is bad, and he got on call E tens. These guys came in literally I'm not exaggerating, one hundred feet off the ground. Two ship one hundred feet off the ground and they straighted this compound. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. Yeah, I was like, I was a nods. I had to pull nods because there's so much fire. Like after they came in, two came in, I'm like, why don't we use these every night? I'm like, this is amazing. Have these lettering over head? They destroyed everything. There was nothing left I'm be honest, there was nothing that I'm like, who is eighty one thirty? Was? That is that thing we like? And e tens man, there's a time and place for him. But those guys, here's what I'll tell you. A ten pilots are the closest thing to operators that you will ever find in the aviation community. They are man, they are guys that will like want they'll drinking.
Speaker 5: And gals we had, yeah, chick, that's right, they'll I'll drink.
Speaker 3: You and they will they will put that thing in the dirt to help you.
Speaker 5: They they're amazing and like, I love A ten but it's and they do fly low like they they they're at risk too.
Speaker 4: But those eightens, it's yeah, we.
Speaker 3: We have a PJA or a guy went through basic training with became a PJ and then he became an A ten pol Oh wow, you guys should have him on the podcast.
Speaker 6: Jason at Yeah, We're we're definitely down for But he.
Speaker 3: Is the best of both worlds because he understands the ground component and then he is you know, big balls on the A ten side.
Speaker 5: And this also speaks to combat controllers. J tax Tac pes that when when those dudes are on like the world can be exploding around you, and they're just on their radio controlling their stacks, like doing this. Yeah, like they're just the world around they are just doing That's.
Speaker 3: Why it gets some many silver stars because they're staying there under gunfighters and they don't hear the ground snapping around them because they have two you know, a team.
Speaker 5: Pelter's yeah, and I would be like, somebody kill these people please, and they're just like yeah, no, no, no, and and calling.
Speaker 3: The tribal also taking cover and they're like up, They're like yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so amazing people. Andrew, thank you very much. And and that's it for the question.
Speaker 2: Is on Tuesday, we're gonna have Andrew Milburn back in the studio. We're gonna need to buy another bottle of Scotch for that one or two.
Speaker 3: He's coming.
Speaker 2: He's coming back from Ukraine where he's been you know, his organization, the Most Art Group, has been doing a lot of work. And then on Friday, we're gonna have Daryl Blocker on the show, whose career c I a amazing career, super interesting guy. I'm excited to have him on the show. So that'll be this coming Friday. Andrew will be on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Excellent, and so we to where people can find you.
Speaker 4: Just one quick thing for.
Speaker 5: Veterans out there or anybody who might like be going through this, but particularly veterans, what's this step for them if they're feeling if they're starting to isolate, if they're feeling bored, gets affected done.
Speaker 3: That's a loaded question, man, I mean it's not. It's it's person person specific. So the VA sucks, that's the first thing. And you guys will learn that very quickly. So you have to find your network. I think asking for help is important. People say they're going to help you, there's only a few that will and so you have to find those folks. And I think that you know, letting the letting the stuff out is important personally. And yeah, I don't know, man, there's a lot of people that want to help you. It's just you got to ask. And so I have a rollex the folks that I contact all the time because I know that potentially I know, I think that they need it and I hope that they'll reach out to me when when I did it. But you know, there's a network there. So it's it's different for every community, but there's been a lot of suicides. We we haven't had a lot of suicides within our our group, thank god, but the community, the community real large has and so there's a lot of different factors. Some of it's financial, so it's personal. Some of it's you know, tv I, some of it's PTSD. There's a ton of cool treatments out there. Some of the Navy guys I was talking to you have been really you know, keyed up on hyperbaric oxygen therapy, which is HBOT in a lot of lives, were kind of reconnecting some of the the the connected tis in the brain and really mending that, really mending some of the damage that's been done. And then the other one, which is a bit controversial, but like you know, there's vets, organizations do a lot of psychedelic stuff is having a lot of good effects. I've talked to some folks that I know and trust that I've done it and it's saved their lives, and so I respect the process. I've never done it personally, but you know, I think that's important to kind of suss out whatever it's good for you.
Speaker 2: It is working for quite a few people. I mean We've had a few on the show in the past, that head. Yeah, Sam, Yeah, I spoken to quite a few pole Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. Well, I don't know if I'm ready to do the ayahuasca.
Speaker 6: You know, you might, you might get through.
Speaker 2: There's also the d m T thing that people do down south of the border, and it's i mean, well not to scare the squares.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's like monitored by doctors.
Speaker 3: It's very professionals.
Speaker 4: I mean they're doing mushrooms or doing the md m A. They're like, there are a lot of different.
Speaker 3: There's yeah, and you know, the v will hand you out a lot of pills. Yeah, and they'll do it very you know, very easily, very quickly. And there's other solutions. I guess it would be my My bottom line is that you know, do your research, figure it out. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Be notice at the VA were like the DARPA of military medicine, right if they were out there on the condition in there and not the dark boy, they are the most there the jiffy louve of yeah right right.
Speaker 6: Even DARPA isn't DARPA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, Chat, I really appreciate you coming out here man and joining us and smoking some cigars and drinking some whiskey and telling us a little bit about your you know, your.
Speaker 3: Story and what you went through.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's been like really informative and interesting and you know, I hope people get something.
Speaker 3: Out of it. Right now, Yeah, I appreciate having me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I hope you'll hit us up next time you come through the city for sure. All right, guys, we will see you Tuesday and then Friday, So take care of everyone.