Speaker 1: This is Ie on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just searched Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and today is Dave Silver, a special guest George Ferrante from the sixte upon Swan and Sunrise. Hey, if you guys want to call, you have some time to call you, guys, call in five to zero, four, one, six, seventy four, forty would love to hear from you. Who's gonna win this weekend's game. I think now that people are kind of seeing the teams, they kind of be realistic of what's gonna happen. Eight and a half points. I think it would take crazily. It would make you take that only because only because the underdog always plays well. That's the only reason why. And it's at home, That's the only reason. I don't know if they're a better team. All I know is four months ago you didn't think issue was a better team.
Speaker 3: No, they were picked last in the Big twelve. How does this happen? Yeah, how does this happen?
Speaker 2: And there was one of the fourth, fifth, whatever, and now they're going to finish fourteen, fifteenth, sixteen whatever is Yeah, when you will never if you say it would give you one hundred and one that you're gonna do this, you say, there's that's impossible, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got to bring out their their big guns, you know, bring out their stamina, and bring out their heart.
Speaker 3: You know that that's it, the heart.
Speaker 2: I mean, what does this mean if this is that important to you, I mean to everybody.
Speaker 5: A lot of guys, this is the very last time they'll ever play football organized football. So right, you know, it's just kind of how the finality of it is. We you know this is the last game, and you know they always draw out those cliches about this.
Speaker 3: Is our bowl game.
Speaker 5: You know we're not going to play in December, but this is going to be it for us.
Speaker 2: Right, what's your what's your fondust memory? You've been around some city three? You did TV then back then right games.
Speaker 3: Or I mean what you mean in this rival just the whole thing.
Speaker 5: You did TV shows, did posting of the coaches shows. Yeah, up through the Chuck Cecil season. So we did that game. I did that game, so that has to be the biggest. That was the highlight. Yeah, that was that was good.
Speaker 3: You know. The night the year before was also big.
Speaker 5: Was an eighty five up there and ASU had to beat Arizona to go to the rose Ball for the first time and they didn't. And that was Max and Dejas kicking a couple huge long field goals to win that game. I think it was like sixteen to thirteen was a final score. But then the following year was the Chuck Cecil game and then they were again they were in the middle. From eighty two through ninety Arizona won every game and then there was a tie mixt in there as well.
Speaker 3: Soame yah. I mean I was kind of part of all that.
Speaker 5: It didn't didn't didn't. It wasn't around for the eighty two game. But like as we're going to talk to Jay Dobbins, I remember that eighty three game.
Speaker 3: That was like the first Wow, this is pretty cool. I was watching it on TV at the station. Well, we covered.
Speaker 2: It because Frank Cush and Hill talk more about Frank Kush kind of owned Arizona for a long time.
Speaker 3: Long time. Yeah, yeah, I was going up here as a kid watching.
Speaker 4: I always loved you know, Arizona was the team, the home team, and and uh it's always a fun day to get out there and get into the sports arena.
Speaker 3: Are you part of the not Hill gang.
Speaker 4: I didn't tall good too much all that type of stuff, but you know I visited the frarities and some fraternities every once in a while, and yeah, it was always a good.
Speaker 3: Time, you know, how to live it up. It was always a good time to be at the campus.
Speaker 5: It was always something special too when you're the visiting. Even media, like we would go to Sun Devil Stadium and is walking through the parking lot was somewhat dangerous. You just never knew who what was happening there. You know what they realized we were from Tucson.
Speaker 3: We heard about it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it was dangerous walking up that hill to get to the to the to the.
Speaker 4: B Yeah, espectually they you know, they've hosted some NFL sure time at the SCU Stadium and those were some fun times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to day Super Bowl the Dallas Pittsburgh. I was there for that night.
Speaker 2: Thirty six, right, that's the last time Arizona the Cowboys were any goods. Sorry about that exactly, Sorry about that, but it's true when you're growing.
Speaker 4: Up in that childhood and you're on a sports team, a baseball team, a football team, or other sports team. I was on a golf team, right, it was always a great thing to be there for the teammates and be there for your city and ye hiding bring back a win, you know.
Speaker 3: Right right, we'll see if they can do that.
Speaker 2: So I've been asking the guys the last two three days, guys, and okay, so you're finishing. If you're four and seven going into this game and you've had a kind of a miserable year. A miserable may not be the right word, but it's let's use that, and you beat the issue, does it become okay at least? Or is it still miserable and we just happened to beat a Issue? Well, I mean they could say that we beat them. They can say they beat them three years in a row, if that, if that matters, you know, I mean, they so they've you know, they've had there's no run here.
Speaker 3: There's that.
Speaker 5: I mean really since like twenty seventeen, that was kind of a rough little stretch where Issue won like five years in a row, four years in a row.
Speaker 2: You remember that day five, It was with something something. First Summon's first year, they had seventy seven games. They were no, no, no, that was the last one. But the first one I think someone had them pretty easily, and then the issue came back and won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they lost.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a little fine line between this enablement and or just carrying on the regular social seasons, or or really refining and regrouping and getting on or somebody saying you, oh, you did a good job, boy, could just keep coming back. Yeah, Well, some people just don't want to hear that, especially if you're a you're really going hold you don't want to hear just a good job.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, again sometimes it's overstated by the coaches, but when they do get to go to a bowl game, you know they have that extra a couple of weeks of.
Speaker 3: Practice that's gone.
Speaker 5: You know, we want to see these guys again until spring football now, so that's that's it, and who knows who's he going to be here.
Speaker 2: And that's when hope springs eternal again, and then you have the hope that you're going to be better next year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because doesn't the portal open like pretty soon, like mid December, the first first.
Speaker 3: Version of it. And I'm sure you've paid attention.
Speaker 2: They've lost a few good kids already because recruits right right, the one just jumped to Florida.
Speaker 3: State of Florida, I can't remember. Yeah, so you know, and the kids notice, they notice, and by the same token too.
Speaker 5: It's going to get the coaches, you know, after Saturday they can start recruiting again. I guess I'm not sure about some of the windows and stuff, but that's you know, they're not going to be restricted.
Speaker 2: George, I think I asked you this off the air. You know, he'll be a restaurant, a successful restaurant. You haven't been bothered by people calling about, hey, you have any money for n I l.
Speaker 4: We donate through various charities throughout the area, and most of them are are pretty.
Speaker 3: Larger charities, so they donate through their subsidiary, right, Okay, I would believe. So yeah, and you get to and you had tickets to know that, So that's kind of people doing.
Speaker 4: We definitely love to give gifts this out for the holidays and for families in need, like we're supporting one of the Turkey Thons today through our friend Acroles.
Speaker 3: And so we definitely like to do our part.
Speaker 4: And yeah, but there is there's no free lunch, and I don't know it's it's it can be challenging to make sure.
Speaker 3: That everybody gets funded, you know, right, and we keep our own funded sure.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, And that's that's the world we live in, right and now, Nil, I'm not sure where you they live. I don't don't even say Dave would kind of live in the same area, but not. And these kids are making twice, three, four or five times when we make nothing. It's unfair or fair whatever. But who would have thought that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we know my dad played in the Tucson Open quite a few times twenty some straight years and his biggest paycheck was like, you know, six hundred and fifty bucks or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's a professional tournament, right, I.
Speaker 5: Know those are the persons in those You is not what we're used to saying. I think Arnie and Jack Nicholas and Tiger Woods for TV get back.
Speaker 4: Onto like if the season is a good season or a slum season here and there.
Speaker 3: You know, I was talking with a friend of mine.
Speaker 4: He has this kid and pop born football, and they took they won their championships, and then they went to the state thing and they lost the state you know, but they moved on to some other big championship.
Speaker 3: It was the next They had to practice and get there.
Speaker 4: Just because they lost one game, you know, it doesn't mean that they can get down and lose focus. You know, the kids got a big blond career to stand behind, and he's just going to practice. He said, well, he got you this far to get you here, you know, and you did great to get here, so let's just keep pushing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: That would be my advice for anything, right, for anything.
Speaker 2: Now these now these guys have to understand that's what it's about, playing hard. And to me, that's been one of the issues all year. And maybe I haven't seen it correctly or whatever, but you just have and played hard enough for it.
Speaker 5: And you know, again, you've had a quarterback coming back after a great season, a great receiver, a defensive back. Isn't he projected to be to Carrio Davis a number.
Speaker 3: In the first round? Do we see this?
Speaker 5: I don't see it, but well, I mean he's big, he's I don't know, he's had both good and bad. Right this season, it seems like he's had a couple of big moments and a couple of words like wait, how do you not cover that guy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So, I don't know, they seem to have a few players, and again the injuries mounted, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe it's one of those years where the gods just say you can't have everything, especially two years in a row.
Speaker 5: Yeah, stepping into new stadiums, new opponents, new just environments of playing football that just maybe they just weren't used to them. Now they're you know, they at least had that one chance this year, and we'll see how things go next year.
Speaker 2: I joked about this earlier because I was on the Phoenix radio show on Fox up there and he says, how do they feel about going into the Big twelve? But it says, I think they're petitioning to get back in the Western Athletic Conference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they hand can they go backwards? Because because these side? Can they join the pack two and maybe make it three?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: And we joke, of course, but you know, it's been a tough year. It just has now. Look at basketball, I know he don't even got basketball yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't got a basketball it's gonna be people in this town for basketball haven't have not been used to losing, like like they might have to be get.
Speaker 3: Used to losing. They lose to Duke and then Kansas smokes him last night, or you know, beats beats Duke. No, it's gonna be crazy because Duke is pretty darn good. You know, obviously Kansas is too.
Speaker 2: And then you talked about Gonzaga losing a couple of hours ago or an hour ago. Uh, it's gonna be a crazy year, crazy year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got on the about halftime in Virginia. West Virginia was down about ten points, right, I just turned it on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but another Big twelve team, Yukon. Yukon's lost too straight, right, so we'll see what happens. It's gonna be a fun year.
Speaker 3: And as in Iowa State is also playing really well. Yeah already.
Speaker 5: You know, we talked about the Big twelve, but already they're showing their their true colors here in the first few weeks.
Speaker 3: Right, No, it's gonna be fun. It's only November.
Speaker 2: That's why I say people who follow Arizona are used to winning, especially in November. We need to kind of temper, that temper that because it's gonna be a long year. They're gonna win games they shouldn't win. They're gonna lose games they shouldn't lose. But it all matters when March in March. In March, that's when your business goes up. People go watch the games that your place.
Speaker 3: And March is our business month. A yeah, because of hoops, snowbirds, snowbirds and hoops. Yeah, it's it's a fun. It's just a good time to be in the desert. Tell everybody where you guys are located exactly.
Speaker 4: Rats wanted Sunrise right across the street from the new iHeart radio station where Steve broadcast.
Speaker 2: So you're on the north northeast side, northeast side, and we're on the south west side.
Speaker 4: We've been there for thirteen years. It's a continuation of our previous location, which was a Plaza Palamino La Cafe in nineteen eighty eight. We've got our cooks for over thirty five years with us now still.
Speaker 2: I remember taking George Ravelin, who back then we were great friends. He's still around and he loved that place, the chili ariennos, he loved those things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We're just we're not a typical ponchos and Santapis Mexican restaurant where Mexican food of distinction that serves from tropical southern regions of Wahawka and Pluebla, buying cuts of steak, chicken, and pork.
Speaker 3: Also a fresh seafruits from the Baja Sea.
Speaker 4: Of Cortez and then great hand crafted made tortillas means read chili chili arino stockholds burros and from northern Sonora.
Speaker 3: This message brought you by by George. What do you know job? Yeah, George, thanks for joining us. We're gonna take our break. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll be going by. I went today and I had to have the well, the shrimp cocktail.
Speaker 3: Remember oh yeah, we got that when I was there. Yeah yeah, so I said, I got to go back. I feel like some troops. Good bye. Great to see you as well.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave. That's told I would to do. It's a running gag. Just don't call them late for dinner. We gotta go. Thanks Thanks again, George. Thank you.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement, from the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world.
Speaker 3: Class entertainment to a luxurious resource. Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yucky?
Speaker 3: Try?
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perquid type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona How the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of will Not.
Speaker 3: School and the Faalse four season are in full stride.
Speaker 11: Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps. Shorts are long sleeve follows and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation, or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Season for over one thousand fun items of choose room.
Speaker 11: Come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsazy dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 3: Nova Home Loans. We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independents that comes.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Jay Dobbins. Jay Dobbins.
Speaker 3: How are you. I'm hoping that this comes out.
Speaker 7: Good to see you guys, good, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Sure sure.
Speaker 2: We've been talking Remene about the good old days and the ASU U u of a A series obviously, and I when talking to Ryl a few years ago, uh, miss Smith and missus Smith.
Speaker 3: She hated, She said her her husband hated hated losing to issue.
Speaker 7: Well, you know the on the board in our locker room, Coach Smith had his goals and the first goal was beat asu That's that was it. That's and that's exactly what these kids are facing. Tomorrow night or tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you remember? What are your memories of that game? I remember seeing The first time I saw the game was in eighty three. Were you the u of A by then or were you still at arkas I was.
Speaker 7: I played in the eighty two I played in the eighty two game where we stole the rose ball from him. I played in the eighty three game where Max kicked the last second field goal to win seventeen fifteen. And I played in the eighty four game where we won here in Tucson sixteen to ten.
Speaker 2: Could you talk real quick about just the importance of because you guys started a streak and that how cool was that?
Speaker 3: Because Dave said it was cool? Right you gives your fist years. Oh yeah, that you were right in there. It was beginning that streak, right exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, you know, And what we faced was was different but similar than these guys like we were on those probation teams, and so you know, no one's coming to save you. Life is ten percent what happens to you, in ninety percent what you choose to.
Speaker 3: Do about it.
Speaker 7: Most people don't care.
Speaker 3: About your problems.
Speaker 7: There are some that are even happy you have them, you know, get up, fight back or be a victim. Don't be soft, don't quit, play hard.
Speaker 3: That that was our mentality.
Speaker 2: And you guys were the perfect group for that because you guys were that. You guys were painting the asses. Tough dudes. Just you know, this is not gonna happen. So when you were getting beat as a group in that streak, what were you thinking, we can pull this off.
Speaker 3: We just have to do what.
Speaker 7: You know what, I'll tell you what and know one that I was coming on, I made this short list of NFL players that were on those teams. This is who we had on our roster, and I'll probably leave out a few. Brad Anderson, Jeff Keywell, Chris brew Or, Van Johnson, Tomunnacliffe, Fel Freeman, Mike Freeman, David Adams, Randy Robbins, Ricky Hunley, Laman Hunley, Bubba Gross, Chuck cecil Byron Evan, Steve Bodway, John Kaiser, Dave Would.
Speaker 3: Those are just some.
Speaker 7: Names that popped in my head. Those winners win, yeah, and those guys were gonna win football games.
Speaker 5: And it's amazing too because they've had great careers after football too, that. You know, I'm sure a lot of that kind of started, you know, with Larry and with coach Roganan. We talked about before, you know, some of the leadership that they were around as kids and you were around. What was it like, you know, to be coached by that that generation of coaches who were you know, kind of old school I would assume, coming out of the Beauchembeckler School and things like that. What was that like.
Speaker 7: Really old school? Dave?
Speaker 3: And you know, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 7: The thing I remember about those coaches is enthusiasm is contagious.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: They were always saying, if you want something you never had, you're gonna have to go do things you've never done. If you want people to remember your name, you have to do something they can't forget.
Speaker 3: And this is the game to do it in. Yeah, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to when you were a kid growing up in the seventies here, what did you think of the rivalry or the game?
Speaker 3: You know what, I loved it.
Speaker 7: I was a big Scott Piper fan when I was a kid. You know, he was the kind of the second fiddle to t Bell as a receiver and I always loved Scottie Piper. He played, always played great in those games. I remember JJ, I remember John Jefferson making that one handed layout catch in the N zone for ASU. So yeah, I remember those guys. I write this, I would take this.
Speaker 3: This was when you were a kid.
Speaker 7: Little kids could actually get on the sun Trend and ride down to campus and get in the not hole and not have to worry about being in trouble or get and someone attacking you. And that was old school. That was back in the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of close games, a lot of weird games, you know, games unpredictable. That seems to kind of be the story, you know, even today, of this entire series through the years. I'm just looking at some of the games, like even what you mentioned know seventeen, fifteen, sixteen, ten, sixteen thirteen. I mean that's low scoring, tight defensive battles, and those are those are.
Speaker 7: The funnest games to play in, where like what you do matters every play, and you know, like going back reminiscing to some of those old school rivalry games. Coach Smith was on Coach Young's staff playing against those Frank.
Speaker 3: Kush teams, and that's.
Speaker 7: Where he learned and built that hatred for the rival.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you.
Speaker 2: Everyone talks and now I posed this today earlier, they're four and seven. It's a mediocre, a miserable type of season because of what the expectations. Where you win this game, does it make it less miserable?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 2: And then Dave says, well, it's bragging rights. How many times did you get to use those bragging rights if you just win the game?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Right on, I'm using them right now. I played in three rivalry games and won.
Speaker 3: All three of them.
Speaker 5: Okay, and again there were no bowl games, as you mentioned the probation, so I mean they went to a bowl game the next year at eighty five. But you're right, I mean that was it. You guys are finished, and that was kind of how the season ended. So it had to be kind of a cool way to wrap it up.
Speaker 2: Well, if you went to Phoenix and did people recognize you or did you tuck a lot.
Speaker 3: Of crap up there?
Speaker 7: You know what, like when you win and if you've got your school colors on, you don't have to talk crap.
Speaker 3: They know that's true.
Speaker 7: They know you don't have to say a word. You can just look at them and give them a wink.
Speaker 3: That's true. And who's going to mess with you anyway?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, you just you learn so much and you learn, like we said earlier in this conversation, like like life's not fair. Yeah, and if you're looking at for it to be fair, you know what fair is where you go to eat cotton candy and ride carnival rives. No one feels sorry for you. There's no time for that. These kids got to suck it up and play the hardest game they played all year. There's nothing to save it for.
Speaker 2: Right, So when you look at the season and you I'm sure you've been to a game or two, what do you see?
Speaker 3: What do you see?
Speaker 2: Because you know, I'm going to show with Byron Evans and David Adams and I've seen What do you go watch when you go to a game?
Speaker 3: Do you see certain things or look for certain things?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 6: You know what I like?
Speaker 7: I love watching the receiver play. And you know it's it's been really a privilege for us as fans here in town to watch t MAC over the last few years. No one has ever done it on this campus as well as that kid has played his position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, before the year started, and I think we may have had you on the show before. I said, at the end of the day, this is in August, And I said, and I've been here thirty seven years.
Speaker 3: I didn't cover football all the time. I covered basketball.
Speaker 2: I said, but the end of the day, end of the year, the team Mac will be the best player to ever have played here. At you of a I kind of can't maybe maybe have to walk that back only.
Speaker 3: Because of the circumstances, but I totally agree with you. Well, you know what, the.
Speaker 7: Kid's going to be playing on Sundays pretty soon, and we're going to be as Arizona fans and as people that you know, residents of Tucson, we're gonna be able to remember when that kid played for us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's pretty special obviously, even even when he doesn't make the catcher when he's out of bounds, he's making spectacular plays. What about that position, you know, I mean, those guys are so athletic and so creative, and it's almost I always talk about, well you just throw it up there and see if they can go get it.
Speaker 3: Has that changed over the years when from.
Speaker 7: When you when you played, you know, I'll tell you what changed. I'll tell you what changed is those receiver gloves. Oh, Like, no one wore gloves when I was playing. Everybody played bare handed. And those receiver gloves, man, those are game changers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, who's the blitnik cuff? Who was the sticky the glue? Yeah, just sticky? And you you were not that guy. You were the possession guy, weren't you.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was you know what.
Speaker 7: I had a role to play. I knew what my job for my team was. That they weren't going to throw the ball over the top to me. I wasn't going to catch the ball over my shoulders and run into the end zone and kiss the cheerleaders.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: I was going to like run an out cut on third down and get the crap knocked out of me.
Speaker 3: And I loved it. You know what, Jay, that's the issue. I mean, Callan played it really well. Last year.
Speaker 2: He was the second guy, third guy or whatever. This year they didn't have a second or third guy.
Speaker 3: You think, well, you know, you look at.
Speaker 7: The criticisms that the offense has received and Noah's received. He had t Mac, which is a first rounder playing with them.
Speaker 3: Last year.
Speaker 7: He had Jacob Cowing, who's an NFL receiver, and he had Tanner McLaughlin, who's I think I'm the I'm the Bengals roster. He had three NFL caliber receivers to throw to. That's that makes a difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had a running back to was Michael Wiley. I mean a lot of a lot of weapons, Joel Colemans. Yeah, so yeah, things definitely changed a.
Speaker 7: Lot of weapons. But you know what, you know what that sports and people are going to come and they're going to go. And when you put your work in, when the opportunity comes, winners close on that opportunity and take advantage of it because if you don't, the next.
Speaker 3: Guy is going to Yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: In fact, in being on the show, had a lot of the X guys come on and they've used the word disappointment. I mean they don't even hesitate because of the year that they've seen with their team.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 7: Well, you know how you fix that disappointment. You win your last game, you beat your rival, You start that enthusiasm going into your off season, going into your next year. That's beating as U fix is a whole lot of problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, we talked about coaching, at least I do on the show. Jay, I know you coached, you know, as an assistant and as a head coach.
Speaker 3: How were you?
Speaker 2: And I say that, and then I say this about Brennan, very nonchalant, if that's the right word, very straightforward, doesn't really get angry or yell, you.
Speaker 3: Know, collapse and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that's the bad not a bad way, but but to me, you kind of wish that he was more fiery and that the kids would play harder for him. That's just my view and maybe a few other people. How would you be? And and does that matter? I mean to me, coaching matters, but the style of coach does that matter?
Speaker 7: I think it matters. And I think teams and businesses and families follow the personality of their leader. Yes, Like when I was coaching, like I was super emotional and I played emotional. I played reckless.
Speaker 3: I coached reckless.
Speaker 7: Too much at sometimes in hindsight, too much at sometimes. But what I wanted to do for my kids when I was coaching is.
Speaker 3: I wanted to show them.
Speaker 7: I wanted to be a first person demonstration that enthusiasm effort, energy and attitude that'll take you through. Those are non negotiable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And then you know Brent kind of has that facade. He's kind of calm and you know, pretty looks like he's a quiet guy. And maybe it works, maybe it doesn't work. It's it's obviously too early to tell here at Arizona how it's going to play out. But you know, you look at the dick tomis and you look at you know, Larry was pretty was Larry Loud. I don't think he was.
Speaker 3: He was emotional after the games.
Speaker 7: I know, but was he Larry was? Was was very emotional and and Larry wasn't demnstrat is on the sidelines, but in private, he like he was merciless in private and if you had it coming, like you were going to get it, but like he would jump you and and and and he would make you pay. But he was also the first guy to praise you when you did something right. It wasn't a one way street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're talking them about your style, sou and you're obviously savvy, savvy didn't doing that job. You would know who would respond and who wouldn't respond, So you can know who to do it for, who not to do it with?
Speaker 7: Right, there's you know what, there's certain kids and and and when you get to know your team, yeah, you know there's certain kids that you can push, there's some that you there's there's some that you need to challenge, there's some that you need to put your armor on their shoulder. But you got to figure out every player. What buttons do you push to get the most out of this kid?
Speaker 5: So what's your prediction for this week? Shoes had a wonderful season. They're going to be in a bowl game no matter matter what. What do you think is going to happen? How do you think it's going to play out? This where the underdogs sometimes you know, can pull off a pretty good upset.
Speaker 7: Well, David, in the in the rivalry games I played in, I think.
Speaker 3: We were the underdogs every game.
Speaker 7: Right, And you know what, I'll tell you who I'm picking, and it's who I've picked the previous ten games. This year is Arizona.
Speaker 3: I always pick Arizona. What would you tell?
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because we talk and I think you're you're great at what you do, and then how you say things. What would you tell this team, and I think a lot of things you've already said on the show to begin the show. No one's promised you anything, go out and get it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 7: I would tell them from first hand experience that you're going to put that helmet and those shoulder pads on and it'll be the last time you do it for most of those kids, at least most of those seniors in an organized manner. You know, my last game against ASU, I broke two ribs in the first quarter and I remember coming to the sidelines and like, it was very uncomfortable, and Dave, you'll remember our old trainer, Sue Hillmet's and I remember Sue came up to me. Sue came up and said.
Speaker 3: Like, do you want to finish?
Speaker 7: Do you want your last time in this uniform to be watching this game from the sidelines. And it didn't take much and I was like, you know what, let's go and I came back in and caught three or four more passes that night.
Speaker 3: You are crazy, You are crazy uncomfortable.
Speaker 7: Of course, you know what if if these kids, like we said, most of them are not going to go to the next level. So make the most of what you have and your opportunity and be reckless. They have nothing to lose.
Speaker 6: Why not be reckless?
Speaker 7: Why not take chances?
Speaker 3: Why not be crazy? No, you're right, And I see some trick play that.
Speaker 2: Well, I think is that one of the reasons why you beat them the way you beat them for three straight years and they just continue and continued on.
Speaker 3: You just played like there's nothing to lose.
Speaker 7: And you know what, and there really wasn't because those three seasons, like we had, we had Bowl eligible records, but we weren't going anywhere that was gonna be it, So why not let it rip?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I know you're right, You're right. Are you gonna be there? Oh yeah? Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: This is the this is the one you don't miss. This is the one you don't miss now.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a big crowd from ASU. You know, they're buying a lot of tickets to come down to celebrate. Perfect time to win it.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, Steve, I heard your show earlier in the week and you were having a conversation about you know, we Arizona had a rough week, you know with basketball and and and with football and and uh like, what's more disappointing and and who's given up on the season. There's nothing to give up on. This game is so important like that, there should be no sad faces. There should be no uh like those kids should hit that grass tomorrow afternoon with every bit of energy and effort and enthusiasm that they have. There's nothing to feel sad about.
Speaker 3: Go win the game. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be fun. Always is.
Speaker 2: It's always unpredictable, and that's why I'd liked Arizona. I mean, at least to cover to pay close. It's kind of its own little season. This one game where teams, you know, like you said, you never know what are they?
Speaker 3: They're nine and two? Can you can?
Speaker 2: We got we got little like a minute, give me a give me a coach Smith and you get to get ready to go out through the tunnel.
Speaker 3: What does he tell you in one of these games?
Speaker 7: You know, I'll tell you what there's There was a game and I can't remember who we were playing, but we were in the halftime locker room under the stadium and there was a little, tiny, skinny door that only one person could get out at a time to get back to the field.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, our way, And.
Speaker 7: He said, if you want to play in the second half. If you expect to get in this game, you got to get through me.
Speaker 6: And he was knocking the dog snot.
Speaker 7: Out of people right and left, and like you literally had to fight through Coach Smith to get back to the grass to have a chance to play. That was Larry Smith.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well we need that again. Go go get Brendan and go do the speech for them because they need that.
Speaker 3: Little pep talk.
Speaker 7: Well, right on, you guys, bear down.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Perhaps you have fun tomorrow or Saturday. We'll see you soon. Thanks. Jay has always bear down. We got to call it. I don't wonder if it's Jay. Hello, you're on the air Hide of the Ball? Is this Jay?
Speaker 1: J You know this?
Speaker 3: Do you know the drill? Hold on? We got we were on Jay Domas. We have a more important Jay on the other.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, put me on hold and come back and wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're asking too much. We're gonna keep you on because I don't want to lose you. We're gonna go to commercial.
Speaker 6: Okay, are you ready?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I Have the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In today with me is Dave silver. Now on the phone, we have Jay Gonzales. Jay, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 7: Guys?
Speaker 3: We're surviving. I'm doing the board, so we're surviving.
Speaker 6: We're on.
Speaker 3: Are we on the air? You hear me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Steve, I got I got handed to you.
Speaker 7: Man. You picked up the skills in a very short period of time.
Speaker 2: Well, it's eighty percent of the skills. I'm missing a few. I'm a four two not a five two guy. Hey, before before we go with our picks, uh, you know, for for the rest of the weekend. What do you think about the game on Saturday.
Speaker 6: I don't feel very good about it, Steeve. You know, I know, if you know that's the rivalry, anything can happen. You know, worst Arizona teams have beat better as U teams than vice versa. But when you look at when you really look at the scores of Arizona's games this year, you know the big losses, you know, and you have a team that is hot at ASU. It's confident as ASU and as good as ASU. I don't see how Arizona has I mean, they've got a chance to beat them just because it's a rivalry game. But I don't feel very good about it. I you know, I don't see how they beat them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: You know what I'll be happy is, you know, as anybody else if they do. But I don't see how they do it. I just this team just is not You haven't seen anything that tells you that they can win this game.
Speaker 2: Right, right, We'll see what happens. It should be a pat crowd and not because of Arizona fans.
Speaker 6: I think it's going to be, right, Yeah, I've been forewarned about that, you know, you know, you know that I don't like the ASU fans. They've been you know, and Arizona fans aren't any better. They've been jerks. And I you know, I haven't been in to Sun Devil Stadium for a game in twenty years because a thirty year old guy wanted to fight my seventy year old dad over a you know, six inches on a seat and uh, you know, right in front of my son. And that's the last experience I've had with those guys.
Speaker 3: And I don't like them.
Speaker 6: I know they're going to be sitting with us, but.
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 5: I remember going to the games as a media member too, just in the parking lot just getting out of my car and they recognized either our logo or our city or something. And you know, there was smack talk just to get into the into the stadium. It was sometimes kind of rough.
Speaker 6: No, that's a true that's a true story. Dare I mean, I'm sure you know that. Yeah, I mean that that happens. And and look, and like I said, neither neither fan base is any better than the others. You know, our fans do stuff to their fans and all that, but it's just you know, I don't do that to other fans and to have you know, that kind of stuff. That That was the second time my dad nearly got in a fight with a guy.
Speaker 7: And look, my dad will start fights, but he didn't start it.
Speaker 3: Seems like the clubsy nominator is your dad.
Speaker 6: Well I know, but there was one in ninety five, that ninety five game, remember where or Chie Jenkins was a freshman, And uh, there.
Speaker 7: Was that game again over the same thing.
Speaker 6: You know, the seats are tight there and the guy thought my dad was crowding him and he put his fists in my dad's face. I'm like, dude, he'll kill you. Just stop.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my dad would kill him.
Speaker 6: I mean, my dad's fits were like a bowling ball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, anyway, but that's old stuff.
Speaker 6: But I you know, I it's I think it's going to be a game that I think Arizona fans are going to be quiet pretty much the whole game. Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now we got something weird has to happen.
Speaker 2: We got eight minutes to go through some picks. Go ahead and recap because I know you want to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I had a perfect week last week. You forgot to do a lot half, but you're still a point a half ahead of me.
Speaker 3: It's a point in half. I thought two and a half. I thought two and a half.
Speaker 6: No, I think it's one and a half.
Speaker 3: Okay, either way, Well it's it's short.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm back on you. I got you.
Speaker 7: So, but it is my second perfect week.
Speaker 6: You've only had one, So there's that.
Speaker 10: But it was.
Speaker 7: But you know, hey, what can I say?
Speaker 6: It was a It was a it was a good week for me. I don't have very many of those.
Speaker 3: Okay, So go ahead and pick you. You get the leader from now?
Speaker 6: All right, Well i'll start. You know, this is a game that I tend to stay away from all the time because I never get it right. But I'm gonna take it this this year because there's so many things going against Michigan and for Ohio State right now, and it's a huge spread for a rivalry game like that. But I just in Ohio State is that good? And I'm gonna give the twenty and a half to Michigan at Ohio State three touchdowns Saturday morning.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a wild thing. But I think you're gonna that's a good pick.
Speaker 3: Where is that game? Is that a Columbus that Ohio State? No, I think that's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 6: Ohio State's been waiting to beat these guys for years. If they get a chance to port on, they're going to We saw what they did last week the Indiana. You know, they could have taken a knee at the one yard line and they punched it in instead of just taking the knee. They're you know, they're they're they're not gonna take any chances. I think they're gonna lay it. They're gonna lay one on Michigan if in any way possibly can.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we got to breach through these things quickly. So you got that one.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with my NFC NFL stuff first, Dallas over the Giants. You know, Dallas at home. Giants are just horrible. Dallas is just not as horrible. So I'm taking Dallas, Okay, all right, my.
Speaker 6: Next college game. I know that Army got obliterated last week, and I knew they would against Notre Dame. But I think they're gonna be a little pissed off. And they got UTSA this week. They're only giving seven, So I'm gonna take Army. They're still really really good, particularly for you know, a mid level team like UTSA, and I think they're gonna blast them. I think they're gonna be a little pissed off about what happened to them last week.
Speaker 2: An ud Dame, Okay, I don't know who you're getting your picks, but you're doing well this year, which is a shocker.
Speaker 3: And I mean that sincerely.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I don't want to talk to me like that.
Speaker 3: He's he's in he's right in my sight, so he's looking at me.
Speaker 2: So okay, I'm gonna go with this team that's already messed with me too many times, but I'm gonna do it again because I don't know why the Chiefs, the Kansas City Chiefs. I thought they'd easily win last week and cover, but they barely. They're barely won. So I'm gonna go with the Chiefs again, this time wondering when they're going to show up to play.
Speaker 3: Well, who are they playing? I forgot.
Speaker 6: The Chiefs are playing.
Speaker 7: For me.
Speaker 3: They've got the Raiders. Yeah, and the Raiders just always fun.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, right, okay, we we both got to pick Texas.
Speaker 6: Texas A and M that's are special, so we'll pick that. Left, I'll move to the NFL. I'm all all all over the Lions on the Bears minus nine and a half on Thursday morning. I can't wait to get back to the house after my son's Turkey Bowl game to get into that game.
Speaker 3: But the Lions are just so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's a good one. We only had like three and a half minutes, four minutes. I'm gonna sleep with the NFL. Go with Tampa, Uh, Tampa the Bay I can't remember who they played, but I going with Tampa and that's gonna be my lock.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, Oh, the Lions are my lock and playing Carolina.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 6: My other NFL game, I'm gonna wait till Monday night. The Broncos did did good for me last week. I'm going to take them again. Give him five and a half to the Browns in Denver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one too. It's a good one too. Okay. So now I'm gonna do do this one too.
Speaker 2: With with the Prime having lost, I think they're going to re return and when and with this one, I wanted to go with this with with the Lock, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: I went with Tampa.
Speaker 6: So Colorado, okay, all right, Just staying away from that because I you know, if these guys feel like they got nothing to play for, you know, if they you know, because everybody's saying that they're out of the out of the playoffs. I just wonder about attitudes on that team. So yeah, I'm staying away from that day. My last kick taking Texas, Texas A and M and I gotta take the Longhorns because I've been on their bandwide in all year. I'll be upset with myself if I don't take them and then they cover. So I'm gonna take Texas, take giving the five and a half to Texas.
Speaker 1: A and M.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went with the same way. I wanted to go with A and M because it's at home, but Texas can't afford to lose this game, so I'm gonna go with Texas as well. All right, Okay, okay, we have some time. No, we'll get those picks. You'll post them this time right in.
Speaker 6: The rest, so I will post them this time around chair.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've got about two and a half minutes. Let's go do basketball real quick. What do you think is going on with that basketball team.
Speaker 6: I think they're figuring themselves out. I think it's a situation where again, you know, Tommy has done such a good job of melding his team when it has a lot of turnover. Each team he's had has had a bunch of turnover. He's done such a good job of putting that together, and it's not fitting as easily right now, you know, And so I think previously, you know, he hasn't played very much. A lot, you know, he's got there's a lot of things that he's got to catch up on. I think, Caleb but still just finding himself trying to maybe trying to take on too much and maybe they need to simplify things for him as well. I just think it's you shouldn't be any more any more worked up about them than Duke is about itself. Right, they've lost, you know, they've lost a couple of games, so it just relaxed.
Speaker 3: It's November.
Speaker 6: They've lost too. It's not like they lost to old dominion or anything.
Speaker 7: I mean, they're fine, just kid, they just got to take some time to get let's see.
Speaker 6: You know, look, if they don't go lose three in the Bahamas, they do better than Sean Miller did.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: DeAndre Aten season right, and that's what we always measure stuff against, you know, uh, least they didn't do what Sean Miller did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I Caleb's the Caleb situation is a little bizarre because he needs to play better. We all know that.
Speaker 3: Crevious.
Speaker 2: I agree with you because I think I do think that Tom is going to mix up the lineup tonight to kind of reflect what he may be kind of threatened last week. Uh, it was kind of an eye opener for him and for everybody else that things probably need to change.
Speaker 6: He's got good players, Steve. I mean, he's got good players that that trio on the outside with with with Caleb and and Uh and uh and kJ Lewis and and uh.
Speaker 1: And JA.
Speaker 6: That's a really good back hoard, you know.
Speaker 7: I think, I you know, I'm starting to think maybe tray.
Speaker 6: Townson isn't what we thought he was going to be, and they maybe need to move some guys around. I'd like to see more of Carter Bryant. So let let's see what happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was gonna say that too. He looked he hit a couple of big shots the other night.
Speaker 3: Right, him and Waka.
Speaker 2: I think you know Oaka am I moving to the spot where Creevis was and let Henry play a little bit more too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And they certainly seemed more physical when a Waka was in there, but they were more physical against two. Right, So let's see what happens.
Speaker 7: Okay, I think I think, I think they're fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, we gotta go. Thanks, Jay, have a great Thanksgiving you, thank you, thank you. We got to go, everybody, Thanks, thanks for listening. Was here next week and uh good luck for the weekend.