Speaker 1: Show ritud neat advice, So you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come. Run just as fast as you can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 4: Man Dix's the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: No, Tom Martine, Hello.
Speaker 6: Tom Martino here, welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. If you're streaming the show, you just wondered, who's that ugly face I just brought up? That is my man, Peter Boyles. Peter Boyles joins me today in the Mothership home studio.
Speaker 7: Do you like it? Pete? Do you like what you're seeing? What do you think? Brother?
Speaker 8: This is the best. Have you ever done a video tour?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I haven't done the video tour. But and we we have Deputy d Deputy Bow. We got Peter there, and Peter that Mike is covering your face just a little bit. It's the best we can do with okay anyway, Yeah, it's the good part is covering.
Speaker 7: So that's right.
Speaker 6: Three O three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Is the Mothership open and on and accountable? Should I bring up the Mothership? Who's there?
Speaker 7: Mark?
Speaker 5: Nobody?
Speaker 8: Mark?
Speaker 9: Now we're all here, smart and myself. We've got two guys JFR cars join us.
Speaker 6: Yes here now, Oh guys, good now, JFR Cars.
Speaker 7: We have Bob with us from JFR up here.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I've been bugging Bob about I've been bugging Bob about leasing leasing cars little, I think, and I've come to believe financially, business wise and everything, as long as you don't go over miles or you don't turn in early, leasing is the best option anyone can ever do with a car, bar none. Mathematically, there is no downside whatsoever. When you lease the car, they guarantee to buy it back at a certain price. If it goes up in value, you can keep it and sell it, or just keep it. If it goes down in value, you turn it in and walk away. You're simply doing what you use I think the biggest problem people get into with a lease, The biggest problem One they don't keep the mileage, and two they want to turn it in early, and Bob, under those scenarios, if you do that, you're in bad shape.
Speaker 5: Isn't that true?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Most of the time.
Speaker 11: You know, what dealers like to do is put you in the lowest mileage lease and it gets you the lowest payment, and they don't talk to you about how many miles you drive.
Speaker 8: That's why they get in trouble.
Speaker 11: If you drive fifteen thousand miles a year, you should write a fifteen thousand miles a year lease and then you've got no issues at the end.
Speaker 9: Where does it not make sense? Like we drive twenty five thousand miles a year, so you can.
Speaker 8: Write leases at twenty five thousand miles a year.
Speaker 6: See Yeah, but now, now, Bob, does it still pay? Do high mileage leases still pay?
Speaker 12: Do?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 11: The biggest thing that makes a car depreciate is miles, so when you own that car, it depreciates just as fast. But the nice part about the lease is you've got an into it and you've got an out at the end of the lease. If the car's not worth the residual value at twenty five thousand miles per year, you still can give it back to them.
Speaker 8: So you have the upside potential out the downside risk.
Speaker 6: Absolutely Well, welcome one and all to the Troubleshooter Show and we'll be talking to Peter as we go on. And yeah, so what I want to do now is take Alberta, who was first up. She is the owner of a house and has a tenant issue. Now, Alberta, is this a room you're renting from your home where you live in it with the renter or is this a separate rental?
Speaker 10: No, this is my home. They live inside the a two bedroom here.
Speaker 7: And you're renting one of the bedrooms.
Speaker 10: I'm renting two of the bedrooms.
Speaker 7: Okay, but where do you live third bedroom?
Speaker 10: Yes, same same house.
Speaker 6: Stole one house, so you live in the same house with your two tenants.
Speaker 7: What's the issue, we're Alberta. What's the issue.
Speaker 13: Well, one of.
Speaker 10: Them is my son in law, and he didn't pay rent in October because of my hot water heater went out. It took me a minute to buy me a right.
Speaker 6: He's not allowed to. He's not allowed to withhold all his.
Speaker 7: Rent for that right.
Speaker 13: And so now this son in law, how is.
Speaker 6: This your son in law? By the way, how is this guy your son in law? Was he married to your daughter?
Speaker 10: He is married to my daughter.
Speaker 7: Is your daughter living there too, yes, sir, okay.
Speaker 6: So they rent a room together and they did not pay for October exactly.
Speaker 10: And then he texted me yesterday and told me because of the water heater that I purchased it was defective. That he's only going to pay me three hundred dollars for this for next month.
Speaker 6: Okay, hold on, but without further ado. Let's get Brad O'Brien on. Let's get Brat O'Brien on. I want to know what we can do. This is our attorney who does real estate. Hang on, Alberta, We're gonna get you some help. Three oh three seven one three. Talk Hailey, This seems to be rental kind of day, Hailey, what's going on with you? Hi?
Speaker 14: So I was roommating with my best friend of eighteen years and we ended up having a falling out and she ended up leaving and pretty much sticking me with the rent. And I live in downtown Denver, so you can imagine it's pretty expensive. So I was just trying to see like my options or what.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's talk about it. Here's let's talk about it one step at a time. First and foremost, were you both on the lease?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Now is the least writ that you're responsible? You both are responsible for all of it, or you're each responsible for half, So we are.
Speaker 14: Both responsible for hash.
Speaker 7: So let me ask you this. This is the real question.
Speaker 6: So your landlord broke that lease that you're each responsible for half, so when your friend moves out, you don't have to pay the other half.
Speaker 14: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 7: So why don't you just live there for half rent? Why would you want another roommate?
Speaker 14: Oh, I'm sorry, so I have to know I'm responsible for the full amount. She had fabricated a police report and presented them with that, and so they excuse her for the rent.
Speaker 6: No, the police, the police don't get this hold on the police don't get to excuse anyone for anything. The police aren't judges. Well, what do you mean that they excused her? Who excused her?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 14: The lead the reading all this when they presented the.
Speaker 6: False Okay, so, Hayley, what's your friend's name? What's your friend's name? First name?
Speaker 15: Kaylen? O?
Speaker 7: Friend's first name is what?
Speaker 10: Kaylan?
Speaker 7: Kaylin?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 7: Now did here's what I need to know?
Speaker 6: Caylin presented what kind of a police report was it against you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 14: Allegedly, I haven't been well what happened was? She said that there was a restraining order. But I have not been served. It's been almost three weeks and I have not been served any kind of paperwork. I have no idea what's really even going on, And so they excused her without even really.
Speaker 6: Well, you keep saying, okay, they excused her, Okay, so did they then say? So they let her out of the lease, and now you're you're you're stuck with the whole lease. Well, guess what, you have a civil action again, kl Caylan can't just leave just because even if the landlord let her out of the lease, is she is she accusing you of assault or something?
Speaker 17: Yes, that that did not happen.
Speaker 6: Okay, you got a problem, Hailey. Does this landlord expect you to pay the whole thing?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 14: And my biggest issue comes with in the next last or yesterday, I received an email because at the beginning of the month she did pay her portion for April and I paid mine, but they had refunded her that. So I'm expected to pay not only her portion of May and June, but also I guess I have to pay aprils now and I just don't. That can't be legal in my life.
Speaker 5: I don't know why, Haley.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing.
Speaker 6: The landlord accepted a three way lease, okay, the two of you and him or her, So the fact that the landlord let that person out of the lease could be construed as a breach of contract.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure. Again, we'll ask Brad O'Brien and Brad.
Speaker 6: Is on right now. He's a real estate attorney. Brad, this is an odd one. I just want to run this by you first. Now, Hailey was renting with a friend, so it was Haley and Caylin.
Speaker 7: They were renting a room. They both signed the lease.
Speaker 6: The roommate Hailey's roommate, Kaylin, accused her and Hailey says falsely, but accused her of assault and wanted to move out. So the landlord let Caylan out of the lease. That in effect made Hailey responsible for the holease. My question to you, Brad, if the landlord signed a lease with two people and arbitrayer lets one of them off, aren't they in effect breaching the lease because they're putting an extra burden on that.
Speaker 7: Other person?
Speaker 6: I mean, how do you look at this If there was a three people on the lease, the two roommates, the landlord, then the landlord arbitrarily releases one of them and says, go ahead, you can leave. We're not going to hold you responsible and now they're going after Haley for the whole amount. How does that set with you?
Speaker 15: I have not revieated this lease, so I have to assume it's the typically drafted lease. And if landlords do like to get roommates on the same lease and make them joint and severally liable, that means that each tenant, each roommate is liable for the entire rent for both roommates. So even if one doesn't pay the other one, they can go out then can go after the other one for the full rent for both of them. Normally, typically after lease does not have any covenants or agreements between the two tenants, they would need their side.
Speaker 18: Agreement for something like this.
Speaker 15: So if the landlord lets one of the tenants off of a joint leads, I don't do that.
Speaker 18: I mean not having seen the lease.
Speaker 15: If there's anything particular about the situation, I don't do that as a breach in the contract.
Speaker 18: But a landlord at all for by the other tenant.
Speaker 6: Left way, they all be responsible for everything generally, right, Like our daughter lives with two other people, kind of like at a campus place where there's three different rooms, then there's a kitchen they all use and a family room.
Speaker 5: But they're all responsible.
Speaker 9: It doesn't matter if someone else moved out, Mark, No one's.
Speaker 6: No one's arguing that they are jointly and severally that they are responsible. She is, she is, She is obligated on the lease. But my question was, didn't the landlord have some obligation to keep both of them on the lease since eas side with both of them. Brad is saying, no, it's not a breach of the contract, and Haley is simply responsible for the whole thing. Now I don't understand. I just don't. So Haley can't afford it right now, so.
Speaker 9: Why Hey, that's exactly what I was saying. No, Tom, If if ten people rent a house from me and they're all students, and I use that because I've lived through it, each one is it is responsible, no matter what if everybody else moves out.
Speaker 6: No, nobody'sys Mark, nobody's disputing that.
Speaker 7: Nobody's disputing that.
Speaker 6: Nobody is disputing that Haley is responsible for the whole thing. No one disputes it. The point is she can't afford it. She's got to leave, and then the guy's gonna probably come after her for breach.
Speaker 7: What were you gonna say, Deputy d go ahead.
Speaker 16: The question for Brad is does the landlord have any duty to treat Haley the same way he treated her roommate and now offer her a chance to get out of the lease as well.
Speaker 18: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 19: She's the one that was doing the batter ring. Then why wasn't she kicked out and Kaylin left in?
Speaker 6: Because Kaylan probably knew she couldn't afford it on her own, and Kaylan was looking for an excuse.
Speaker 7: Kaylan was looking for an excuse.
Speaker 6: Brad, if if if she could prove, if Haley could prove that these accusations were false, would that do anything to the landlord's action that he let her out for safety reasons?
Speaker 18: I don't know.
Speaker 15: I mean the first place to look at the least and that that has language.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's not helpful for this color.
Speaker 18: But there's some.
Speaker 15: Nolan you could bring, like, uh, it's a breach of the implied duty of good faith and fair dealing. You know, there's probably some vague kind of legal plan you could assert to get this into court, but.
Speaker 6: At this point, it which it's cheaper to pay the rent until she can leave Hailey under these circumstances. I need to ask this a very simple question. If you could find a place to live, will the landlord let you.
Speaker 7: Out of the lease?
Speaker 14: I expected to hey the remaining months, whether I leave earlier or not, unfortunately, And.
Speaker 7: When when is the lease up? When is the lease up?
Speaker 14: The lease is up in June, but it's it's a three thousand dollars a month of apartment, and so it's going.
Speaker 6: To be nine grand for you to see it through nine grand and you don't have it.
Speaker 7: Will he allow you to get another roommate?
Speaker 14: They I haven't really spoke to them about that, but there's nobody that I really like have that can move into just for two months. But I was just hoping if you guys had any like rental relief, if you guys knew anything like that at all, would be help.
Speaker 6: Well, No, Haley, you heard our attorney. You heard Brad O'Brien, a real estate attorney. He didn't see your lease, but he's saying, under most circumstances, you're responsible for the whole thing. Your roommates responsible for the whole thing. But the landlord released your roommate, which leaves you responsible for the whole thing. And really, unless you had a private agreement with your friend, you're stuck with the whole thing. That's the unfortunate truth. And if you can't pay it, the worst it's gonna happen is you're gonna be evicted and he's gonna probably try to come after you for the money. I'm Tom Martinez three O three seven one three talks seven one three eight two fivey five. Waterpros dot net The best water systems, the lowest prices.
Speaker 7: Listen.
Speaker 6: You can get drinking water at your kitchen things for just around eleven hundred bucks. But if you want to do your whole house, your whole house with drinking water, conditioning is softening. It is simply thirty nine ninety five the best price anywhere. Waterpros dot net three O three eight six two five fit'y fivey four. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven seven and one help you'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martino here with Peter Boyles, the legendary. What do you have to What do you have to do to be a legend? That's what I want to know in this business. What do you have to do to be a legend?
Speaker 8: Not retire?
Speaker 6: That's right, you get old, so old legend means old.
Speaker 8: But I got fired a couple of times.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See I never had.
Speaker 6: The pleasure of being fired. Get out of here. No, never once, not once.
Speaker 8: You never.
Speaker 5: We are shocking.
Speaker 21: No, we're we're I tell people we're head coaches. They hire us because someday they're going to fire us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I've been forty five years with six owners. Well, let's see who were the owner In the very very beginning. There was gay Lord remember them? Then below?
Speaker 8: No, it was it was below when I was well.
Speaker 6: Offer my first owner, and then gay Lord. No, then then then below then gay Lord. No, then gay Lord was in there somewhere there was below. It's like two old guys reminiscing about different things.
Speaker 21: Shut up on a park bench on my back hurts now, then it was then it was below, and then then below became iHeart, and then excuse me became clear channel, and clear channel became ihearts you've had in there.
Speaker 8: Somewhere in there? Well, J CORR, Really is they Okay?
Speaker 6: I asked my boyfriend and it said, first of all, it said KOE was owned by General Electric before, and then they said then National bro NBC never owned us.
Speaker 7: And then it carried NBC. Then it said R C A C. Yeah, that's they're they're wrong.
Speaker 21: Oh no, that isn't wrong because they were carrying the signal, remember okay that they were affiliated with him.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, okay, So listen.
Speaker 6: Mark, you're smart ass remarks about old guys. You know, Mark, you're not exactly it's not exactly compared to you too.
Speaker 7: Know How old are you?
Speaker 2: Mark?
Speaker 7: I lost track? How old are you?
Speaker 6: I know you're fifty three, So technically I'm old enough to be your dad or grandfather. He's fifty three, I'm seventy one. I'm old enough to be his dead, So you call me daddy from now on.
Speaker 8: Hey, I have underwear older than Mark Major. I get it.
Speaker 6: It's like I want to talk to Alberta because we do have our expert on Alberta.
Speaker 7: Let's talk to Brad O'Brien.
Speaker 6: Now, Brad, Alberta is renting to her daughter and son in law a room in her home. The son in law is arbitrarily withholding rent based on the hot water heater. They did not have hot water for a month. He withheld rent. She fixed the hot water heater. He doesn't like it, he said it's inadequate, so he's still withholding rent. Alberta, how much rent do they normally pay every month? If they were to pay the rent? How much is it?
Speaker 8: Six D.
Speaker 6: Six hundred? And how much have they withheld in total? Nine nine hundred? So they withheld one they would so they withheld one.
Speaker 7: Full month and half of the next. Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yes, So they're arbitrarily withholding rent based on the availability of hot water.
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 6: Brad? What do you think about that? What do you think about that?
Speaker 12: Well, I don't have a lease.
Speaker 4: Them.
Speaker 18: The warrants you've had.
Speaker 7: You don't have a written lease, is no go ahead.
Speaker 15: I mean the warrant to habit ability applies whether or not there's a lease. All tenants have the right to a habit premises for what they rent. So you know, the landlord has to provide habitable place, hot water, electricity, you know, those kind of things. And that is really separate from the payment of rent. So the tenant has to continue paying rent separate from the habitability concern, which they need to pursue separately and follow the steps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're very hard to follow because most people can.
Speaker 6: And I did a video, by the way, I can plug right now. I did a video that's on YouTube and also on LinkedIn about how to do it properly, and I based that on Brad gave me some information and then he told me the law, and I went to the law and outlined some basic steps. But man, they can't just stop paying rent.
Speaker 7: Now. Can she start an eviction process? Brad?
Speaker 15: Yes, she can on non payment of rent. Of course, the lieutenant will counterclaim for breaching the warranty in habitability. All have to get worked out.
Speaker 9: Hey, Brad, can I just if I've got a double wide trailer sitting out in Watkins, Colorado? Can I rent it out to ten different people? I Mean, isn't there laws on what she can rent out or not. I mean, if she's just running rooms out, can I just simply rent out every room in my house and never have an issue?
Speaker 5: How does that work?
Speaker 18: Well?
Speaker 15: Law changed on this really last year where counties can't limit the number of occupants by family relationships.
Speaker 18: So that that's one thing.
Speaker 15: But there's a fire code which I do ultimate restrictions, so you can't have more people in a dwelling than fire code would allow.
Speaker 5: So if you've got twenty, okay, Brad?
Speaker 7: What about private?
Speaker 6: What about private hoas having rules on how many people can live, whether related or not? Are they are they usurped by local authorities?
Speaker 18: Well? I think it's new.
Speaker 15: I believe this new statute that said local jurisdictions cannot the occupancy of dwellings does apply to hias because they are quasi governmental bodies.
Speaker 18: They're not they're not strictly private.
Speaker 6: So the so h joys can no longer say only two parties unrelated, you know, only related parties, or only two unrelated parties.
Speaker 7: Or only three people.
Speaker 6: I mean, in other words, those HOA things are out out the window.
Speaker 15: I don't think no answers no, But I don't get joys were ever doing that putting those kind of restrictions.
Speaker 6: On, Oh yeah they were, I know, Hia's that would tell you how many could live in a home.
Speaker 15: No, but I think what I was getting to was the familiar familial relationships having like, okay, family in the same place, not strictly not.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, Yeah, years ago, years ago, I used a boiler plate hoa when I was developing subdivisions, and one of them had a clause in there that only that there could only be two unrelated parties in the house. And I, like, I said, that's probably illegal, probably cannot be enforced.
Speaker 7: But it was years and years ago.
Speaker 6: Brad O'Brien, you're a wealth of information, so Alberta, you're gonna have to start an eviction process unfortunately, okay, And don't try to do it alone if you don't know the steps, and then they're going to probably argue back. But this son in law sounds like a pain in the ass. How long has he been your son in law?
Speaker 10: Over six years? And he lives here and he just pays the six hundred. He didn't help me with the utilities, nor does he pick up his dog feces in the backyard, kick him.
Speaker 2: To the curb.
Speaker 7: I would get rid of them.
Speaker 6: Will will that cause a problem between you and your daughter?
Speaker 2: Daughter?
Speaker 6: To get rid of Will that cause a problem between you and your daughter?
Speaker 7: If you get rid of them?
Speaker 10: Yes, I won't get rid of my daughter because she has some severe medical issues.
Speaker 6: But well you you can't just evict him. They are they each renting one room? Or are they renting a room together?
Speaker 10: No, he rents one room, he pays the rent. It's for both of them.
Speaker 6: So yeah, but when you evict them, when you evict that least there that not least. But when you evict that tenant, she's part of that. She's going to be evicted too.
Speaker 5: Well why couldn't she just move in with her mom at that point?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 6: Well she can, she can, but technically she's evicting both of them. I think, okay, Dimitri, go ahead.
Speaker 16: Hey Tom, I was hoping to tailor Brad's response a little more narrowly in order to address Alberta's ultimate goal. And I don't think Alberta ever told us what it is Solberta. Her goals is to get rid of him are make them pay. I didn't say that Alberta are you trying to get him to make up for the back rent or do you want to kick him out?
Speaker 8: What is what is your preference?
Speaker 10: Oh? I wanted him to make up for the back rent, and I want to increase his rent because he's only paying six hundred.
Speaker 8: Do you have a job difference? Does that make well? He does?
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, but Alberta has a huge show.
Speaker 6: So Brad, if Alberta wants to change the terms of the verbal or if she wants to make them sign a lease, can she do that and then start from scratch?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 15: The rent once are rolling twelve months and upon sixty days of prior written notice.
Speaker 10: Oh, sixty days.
Speaker 6: Okay, So here's what you do, Alberta. You call oh else, you call O'Brien legal Services. I'm serious. You need an attorney to do stuff. Seven two zero three seven zero seventy three eighty eight. Olslaw dot Com seven two zero three seven zero seventy three eighty eight. If you're a landlord, you really want to consult him because he does everything real estate and can keep you out of hot water. We got more coming up on The Troubleshooter Show three oh three seven one three eight two five five While we're talking about landlords and all that, don't forget to have your insurance reviewed. Compass Insurance group of free insurance and an honest to god assessment of what you have. If you're paying too much, too little, or you're not insured enough three oh three nine nine six nine thousand, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance. Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Tom Martine here at three oh three seven one three eight two five five fix it twenty four sevens going to your home and checking your sun pump for forty nine bucks. You've got to get the service to keep your house from flooding. If you've not even looked at your some pump. Most of you haven't since you moved in. It's it's in a pit somewhere in your house. They'll find it. They'll service at forty nine bucks. And I'm telling you it's only forty nine bucks. Fix myhome dot com, book now, Fix myhome dot com.
Speaker 7: And book now. Barbara has a problem with a crawl space. Hey, what's going on? Deputy Bow is working on that grabbed that microphone?
Speaker 2: Bow?
Speaker 7: What is Barbara? Did Barbara call in?
Speaker 8: Before?
Speaker 2: Barbara?
Speaker 7: Did she call in?
Speaker 22: She called in a couple of weeks ago, on actually March twenty first to twelve o'clock hour.
Speaker 7: Okay, so what's going on?
Speaker 22: So she had an issue with eight way. She had a main sewer line leak in her crawl space.
Speaker 8: And the HA stepped up and did.
Speaker 22: The repair, but she was very concerned that they weren't They were not doing the job.
Speaker 7: So it wasn't hoa problem the water thing.
Speaker 22: Yeah, they took responsibility, right, Barbara.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can't hear.
Speaker 7: Okay, here do you have to put those on real quick?
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 17: But it took it took like five days before they finally got back to me. And that's when I called.
Speaker 5: And then okay, the next.
Speaker 17: Day they had somebody over there starting their repair their repair.
Speaker 6: Well that's good. So what's what are you calling about today? Is that what you're calling about to let us know?
Speaker 17: I just wanted to thank Bo for traveling answer Aurora and inspecting it for me because I didn't.
Speaker 7: Feel you know, Bo, that.
Speaker 6: Is pretty damn cool, Bo, that you go and visit people and do that for them.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 22: Yeah, and exterminated the place too, and and thank you for letting us know.
Speaker 7: You know that, thank you.
Speaker 6: And he deserves and I'm going to pull out my dinger right now. He deserves my dinger for sure. And I like using the dinger because if you don't use it, it goes bad.
Speaker 7: And so there you go.
Speaker 2: Bo.
Speaker 7: You've you've probably.
Speaker 6: Visited a dozen and consumers by now and helping them out with problems.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. All right.
Speaker 6: I have a text on leasing a car, and they said, this is for Bob Perry with JFR cars. They want to know if they lease with high mileage, don't they pay more than if they lease with lower mileage. And of course the answer is yes, because you're you're leasing, you're paying four.
Speaker 7: What you're using is that right, Bob.
Speaker 8: That is correct.
Speaker 11: So when they determine the residual value at the end, it's determined based on how many miles are on the car and no more than average wear and tear. So if they drive more miles, it makes the car worthless, so of course the payment's going to be higher.
Speaker 9: You get hit big time too with diminished value. If you're in an accident, you go to turn it in and they're going to take ten twenty percent off the top.
Speaker 5: Nope, that's amazing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if you have a bad car, fact, you can still return it.
Speaker 11: Wow, yep and still get the full residual Well, so I mean you're not gonna get built for the diminished value. So as long as you're in line with the miles and you don't have excessive wear and tear, yeah, you don't get builed.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: Another question if you do a low mileage lease and pay less and you go over is that does that take away the benefit of leasing?
Speaker 11: I mean not really, you're gonna so the only time you would pay excess mileage is if you go to the end of the lease, turn the car in and you're over miles. If you end up buying the car, doing something different with it's you don't get build mileage, so it doesn't necessarily take away have you.
Speaker 7: Ever had people good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Does it take away the benefits?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: You know, you should try and be accurate.
Speaker 11: So usually when you write excess mileage up front, it's less per mile than they charge you at the end. So if you really feel like you're gonna drive more miles, you should do it up front.
Speaker 6: K three ozho three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Denverregion dot Com Denver Region. They're doing stem cell therapy for painful joints and tendons. I had it done and they are phenomenal. I truly mean it, I really do. They can do shift in cells that are regenerative cells, not stem cells, but they also harvest your own stem cells. Or they can do what are they call them exosomes? What are what are they called it? What do you call They're called exosomes? Okay, yeah, they can do that as well. Denver Region dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up, free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance pain too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hello Tom Martina here, Welcome to the show. Sarah's got a problem with a landlord tenant issue here.
Speaker 7: So, Sarah, are you landlord or tenant?
Speaker 12: I'm the tenant.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 5: It's like landlord day man or tenant day. Yeah.
Speaker 12: So I was in here for just this is a background. I wasn't here since April of last year. I finned it whatever, and I was intending to stay another year. And I've been asking her since if I could get a list renol and she hasn't reached out, and she's leaving me like not with any notice, and it's already passed.
Speaker 7: Okay, hold on, hold on, I need to ask some questions.
Speaker 6: You have been renting since last April? Yeah, so did you hit your one year anniversary?
Speaker 10: Yes, just about.
Speaker 12: And I've been waiting for her to give me a notice, and she finally has given me one, But she said that she's selling the property and that I would have forty five days to vacate.
Speaker 7: Do you know why she said she's selling the property.
Speaker 12: She says, you can't afford it, but she didn't give me this notice.
Speaker 6: No, No, here's what I'm saying, Sarah, here's what I'm saying, And it could be a ruse.
Speaker 7: I just want to say this.
Speaker 6: There is a new law that says if you're not going to renew a lease, you have to have just cause. There are certain outlines for just cause. One would be renovating the entire property. Another one would be you're selling the property. Now it could be, Sarah, here's all I'm saying. It could be she's not really selling the property. She just wants you out of there. Okay, So but it's not for me to say.
Speaker 7: You can let her know.
Speaker 6: You know about the law, and you want to make sure she truly is going to sell it.
Speaker 7: I mean, because that is your right.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of people are saying, Tom, a landlord should have a right to kick out anybody that want any time. Not in Colorado anymore. I'm sorry they've changed the laws. The laws are so so strong for tenants right now that if you've been there a year, she must give you a reason for you to leave.
Speaker 7: It has to be just that reason.
Speaker 9: I'm curious how that works with the sale part. I know for a fact if they are going to sell it, they can do it. But I mean, does that mean they have to list it? Do they have tire a realtor? And then how many days? This might be another good Brad O'Brien question.
Speaker 6: Can maybe let's try to get Brad O'Brien back on the air and answer that.
Speaker 9: Okay, so hold on, Sarah, We'll get an attorney. What apps if it is a route? Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna sell it. But then she's just gonna rent it out somebody else.
Speaker 6: Let's find out. Let's ask him. Let's ask him. And then Jen has an issue with a towing company. So stick around. Plus, we have JFR Cars with us jfrcars dot com. And I got the legendary and old Peter Boyles more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Please time for an insurance check. Up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Ripped up so you don't have come running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Come man, this is.
Speaker 5: The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 7: No Tom Martinez, Hello, what's happening?
Speaker 6: We are having a fun car day card Friday. Well, we haven't talked too much about cards. We talked a little bit about leasing and UH, I have Peter Boyles with me. He stopped by the UH satellite studio and I get a I got this email saying, hey, Tom and Peter. Peter and Allen Berg were my introduction to talk radio. It was Peter's a change of tone that woke me up on nine to eleven and that made me turn.
Speaker 7: On the TV to see what was happening.
Speaker 6: I think it would be fun if you'd let Peter do his New Year Denver parade during your show. He does think it's the Thanksgiving parade. He does, and he's she said she loves that, or he said it's Kim. I don't know he or she, but it doesn't matter. I'll say they. Then there was the time he called Juan Valdez, what is that?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 7: What is Wanda? It was hilarious.
Speaker 5: Jan Valdez, Huh do you recall it.
Speaker 21: It's like, you know, somebody else brought a story up in the room and I said, I don't remember that, and they said, oh.
Speaker 8: No, that happened.
Speaker 6: Kim calling the show and tell us what you're talking about. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three.
Speaker 21: H remember after how much of the I mean, your early days. I remember when you came to Channel four.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and so Peter, Peter, you were on the air, and Alan Berg was on the air, and you were doing radio, and I was a guest on Alan's show a lot.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: And then when Alan was killed, I filled in for him, and that's how I got my show and but got Jesus.
Speaker 8: That was forty years ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and and you know, we've seen all kinds of documentaries about that.
Speaker 7: But we were there that night it happened.
Speaker 6: We were at we all gathered at the station, and uh, it was unbelievable, horrible, unbelievable.
Speaker 7: We couldn't believe it happened. That there's now a film.
Speaker 21: They've taken Kevin and Kevin Flynn and Gary gerhard Spoken and made this film that's now.
Speaker 8: I came through Denver and I went and saw it. And what is it called? Come on kid?
Speaker 7: Is it the Order?
Speaker 18: Well?
Speaker 8: What the original book?
Speaker 21: Yeah, the Silent Brothers, but they've called it something else.
Speaker 8: Now, Okay, they've retitled it. But I went with ken. Was it a good movie? I you know, I'm not a good judge of it because.
Speaker 6: Because we knew, because we knew Alan on a personal level, and he was nothing but that people thought he was.
Speaker 21: And I knew the truth on how and why he was killed. But yeah, you know, remove that part of it. I don't know, because I I testified against those men, but I didn't. I didn't know them, man, exactly. The great work was done by Kevin and Gary. But you know, there they are, and there they were, and now they're back again.
Speaker 6: So it's like a Stephen King when you say they're back again under what form I think.
Speaker 21: I think it's something that Stephen King's monsters. And this takes a second, but Stephen King's monsters don't die when you and I are growing up, the little kids, and Frankenstein would die in the windmill where somebody would kill Dracula or somebody put the bullet in the when the werewolf. If you're and I actually had that experience with Stephen King. His stuff never dies. His stuff reappears in the next book, or the next book, or the next.
Speaker 8: No, I get what you mean. Yeah, and I think that that's much of what this.
Speaker 6: So you're saying the white supremacists never die, of course, there's always they always reincarnate into some other group, or.
Speaker 21: You see him again in another shape or another thing, I mean, somebody else.
Speaker 8: And it's and it's if, as.
Speaker 21: You said seconds ago, if you'd have really known the guy it was, he wasn't.
Speaker 16: Who's you said something interesting just a couple of minutes ago, you said, you said that you know the truth about that murder. So I inferred from that that the truth you know must different. I'm all in contradiction to what history recorded.
Speaker 8: No, actually it's been recorded. I wrote okay.
Speaker 21: On the fortieth anniversary of his murder, I wrote a very lengthy piece for the Denver Post about exactly what happened and the way that you know the book and it has nothing to do with with Gary and Kevin, because they knew the truth, but he was killed.
Speaker 8: There was a there was a newspaper.
Speaker 5: You got a second for this, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 21: It was called the Primrose and Cattleman's Gazette. And KOA, the call letters of KOA stand for King of Agriculture, and when call letters used to be designations from from the Roosevelt administration, and.
Speaker 7: And KOA was big in agriculture.
Speaker 6: And we had remember Evan Slack and sure and that's that, and the Farm Reports and the Cattle.
Speaker 21: Report absolutely and WWLS Chicago is the world's largest store because Sears put them on the air, and so the call letters had meaning. And so we got all the little newspapers agrib papers from all over the state. And we had a small tiny office. You bring got in a million times in book, and it was it was crandall myself all the time. Tommy came over and Allen and we were right below the There was two studios. They were on steps. And so I'm sitting here reading the newspapers and I come across the Primrose and Cattleman's Gazette and they had published the protocols of the Elders of Zion and it was the Tzar had secret police named the Okrana, and the Okrana published these to be used as weapons and programs. Not the Romanov who was killed in the end, but his father did this. And so this, this articles appear in the Primrose and Cattleman the Gazette. So I said to to Larry, I said, Conda wants to do the show on a flu and we.
Speaker 8: Did a new an hour. I think you were part of that end of one hour.
Speaker 21: Yeah, and Alan would come in on the tail and then take it to the top.
Speaker 7: Pass the ball and these people were crazy.
Speaker 21: So I'm I get the guy to come on the air, and I'm starting to say did you pay for this? And yes, and I said I could have had it for free. It's in public domain. And we went on and on and on about I said, the whole thing's fabrication. So at that moment Berg comes in and gives me to tap right. He said, I want this guy, and I said and I said to him, And I said to and.
Speaker 7: This guy wasn't the actual author.
Speaker 8: He went, no, no, no, no, there was. He was promoting it. It was the Okrana had written it, you know. And there was.
Speaker 21: A guy they had, a guy, so Jack Moore and blamed that he had written it or so berg ate him up.
Speaker 8: I was saying, well what about this? And what about that?
Speaker 21: And and then so I'm done with the show, and I went on and I started going through other Primrose gazettes and I find all of this stuff.
Speaker 8: So Patricia call Patricia Callen Patricius.
Speaker 21: Wrote her was our first congressman, congresswoman and she was also the head of Armed Services.
Speaker 8: So I called her and I.
Speaker 5: Said, what are you doing with this?
Speaker 21: You're you're you're putting ads in for the Marine Corps and the Air Force and recruitment.
Speaker 8: She yanked the ads.
Speaker 21: So he sued Alan myself and General Electric and KOA Radio, the newspaper publishers, yeah, a guy named Rick Elliott.
Speaker 6: Because they were they were publishing like unbelievable stuff.
Speaker 8: And by anisomitic and at the time when and they.
Speaker 7: Had a right to do it.
Speaker 6: But but Alan, Alan really Peter got him on and Alan really dressed him really.
Speaker 21: And then we had full circle where what we didn't know and what listening in the other room to Rick Elliott and myself and then Rick and Allen was a guy.
Speaker 8: Named David Lane.
Speaker 6: Then David Lane starts contacts this guy. They start having secret meetings and.
Speaker 8: He drove the car all night. They killed him.
Speaker 6: They had secrets. How are we going to kill this guy? Well, how are we going to kill him? I don't think they totally made the decision to kill him. Well until Berg gets moved.
Speaker 21: The Knights, which I always thought was a mistake. And now on KOA at night, you can get it in your teeth.
Speaker 8: I mean you can get.
Speaker 21: All over the country. And they live in Montana. They're up in Montana. They're in a place called Hayden Wake, and they have a secret club boys club within this club of white supremacy called the brutu Schweigen German for the Silent Brothers.
Speaker 8: And so they get.
Speaker 21: Their Richard Butler was their spiritual head, and their their alleged academician is this guy Jack Moore. Well Burg gets them both on on one night and just goes to town.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Berg was there Arch enemy. So, Peter, I'm want to know something. Where's David Lane? Now?
Speaker 5: Is he dead?
Speaker 8: He's dead?
Speaker 5: Was he in prison?
Speaker 8: Yes? Yeah, they were.
Speaker 6: They were convicted of conspiracy, murder, conspiracy, right.
Speaker 21: No one ever was No one was ever or tried for the murder of Alan Berg?
Speaker 7: What was it was?
Speaker 5: For other things?
Speaker 21: Well, the first time when we went to Seattle and we got we got it was a Rico trial racketeering and corrupt organizations. And we went on a Rico trial, and Allan's murder was like number forty six or forty seven of the counts of Rico.
Speaker 8: And so the one Robert J. Matthews was dead, he died in Whibley Island, But the rest of them was the exception of a guy named Richard Scatari. Richard's Gaitari was.
Speaker 6: Still Do you think the roots these guys planted do you think they're still giving fruit in others?
Speaker 21: Do you think that I don't think the roots that these guys did because or just new ones, just new one guys took their place, just new ones.
Speaker 7: They keep coming back.
Speaker 6: Listen, we'll get to your calls right after this. And I want to get Brad O'Brien on about this Sarah's problem because I don't really know the answer to this. She's been renting since last April. The landlord gave notice she's selling the place. And Mark brought up a good point, what if they're lying about it?
Speaker 7: How do you know?
Speaker 6: Can you ask for proof? I mean, this goes into a lot of different things. And quickly before I go to break Rod Greer, we have a from JFAR Cars. Someone wants to know about consigning a vehicle. They're not talking about Jfar. They said that they were told that another dealer does consignments, and I told them to hold off Rod. When you do a consignment on a vehicle to sell it, does it have to remain at JFR Cars while it is on.
Speaker 7: While it's on for sale?
Speaker 8: It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 23: But it's so much nicer than it is because we're now a fifty five.
Speaker 6: What are the fees for consigning a vehicle? What are the fees? Do you take a percentage of the sale?
Speaker 23: We take a percentage of the sale or a flat twelve hundred to fifteen hundred dollars and that's the best.
Speaker 6: And who decides the flat fee or the commission? Who decides that.
Speaker 23: It's in our contract, and I decide you and we can decide and work with the customer if the car is worth Let's just say, if the car is eight thousand dollars, we're not going to do eight percent. We're going to do a flat you know what I mean. So try to try to help the customer and our and just to make sure we make a little bit on the deal as well.
Speaker 6: But most of the time when people can sign a vehicle, do they owe money on it.
Speaker 23: Most of the time they don't. But we have done that. If the equity's in the vehicle, they're just trying to get out.
Speaker 7: Okay, I got to take this quick break. Brad O'Brien's on.
Speaker 6: I want to come back to him and ask him a question about breaking a lease for selling a property.
Speaker 7: We got more right after this.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 7: Help You'll think you're his only customer.
Speaker 6: When you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here three oh three seven to one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Remember KNH Home Solutions now has KNH Painting Pros for painting a company you can trust. Khwindows dot com is the website. Hey, Brad O'Brien back with us man. It seems to be a big real estate day today, a lot of questions. Brad is with ol Or O'Brien Legal Services Online is ols Law dot com seven two zero three seven zero seventy.
Speaker 5: Three eighty eight.
Speaker 6: Sarah got a notice after renting a year that she has to be out in how many days, Sarah?
Speaker 10: She told me five?
Speaker 6: And she says she's selling the house now. I suspect she said we're selling the house.
Speaker 5: You need to leave.
Speaker 6: I suspect the landlord did that for Possibly she really is selling the house, or she knows she has to come up with a just cause. So Mark Major had a point, how do you know if they're really selling the house, Brad? And can you do anything about it. Can you ask for proof? And if she doesn't end up selling the house, do you have any recourse?
Speaker 7: Brad?
Speaker 15: Okay, Well, this just caused lease termination statute where if someone the tenant's been there for a year, then the landman has to give ninety days notice that they're not going to renew the lease.
Speaker 18: And in one of the reasons, and.
Speaker 15: They have to have a good just cause one a reason.
Speaker 18: One of the reasons is they want to sell.
Speaker 15: And if they sell, then the landlord after the tenancy is over, the landlord cannot lease it or list it for sale or lease for thirty days after that then they can just do whatever they want with the property.
Speaker 6: Okay, So if they break the look, wait a minute, they can get you.
Speaker 7: Are you saying, Brad?
Speaker 6: They can get you out of there on a ruse And as long as they keep it vacant for thirty days, they'll be clear the vacant.
Speaker 15: The way the statute is written, they don't have to keep it vacant. It just says they cannot list it for sale or rent for the thirty days after.
Speaker 6: So if I want to sell my place and I evict someone and they leave, I have to keep it for thirty days before I can list it.
Speaker 9: Right, Well, what MS if you already had some wonder why I lined up Brad? In other words, you know, let's say, hey, I know someone that's gonna rent it from me, So I tell the lady or whoever it is, I'm going to sell the place. I don't list it because I already have another tenant coming in and then they move in thirty days.
Speaker 5: I mean everything's cool then, right.
Speaker 18: Yes, that's how you can gain the statute.
Speaker 6: Okay, Oh I did not realize you can get around the statute that way. It's like every law, wow, every liberal law. So did you get ninety days notice?
Speaker 5: Sarah?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 12: No, I did not. That's why I was calling because.
Speaker 6: I've how much notice? Did you get forty five days? Was it basically the forty five day notice?
Speaker 12: So she told me that here's the situation. She came in, was telling me that we're going to have a look at the house, and she tricked me saying that she was going to come to my house today to sign a brand new lease. And then she gave me this paper. And it doesn't seem like it's from the quarter. It's just something that she'd written down for me to sign, and it's saying that she's gonna list it, list it to sale, and that when it's on, when it's sold, she's going to give us forty five days to leave. But I'm like, that's not a ninety day notice because I don't know when that's going to happen.
Speaker 7: Well, it could saying that.
Speaker 6: It could be it could be a ninety day notice. I mean, it could be a ninety day notice if she says once it sells, she's giving you forty five days.
Speaker 15: Hey, Tyl, I need to make a correct Brad. Go ahead, Brad, I'm sorry. I said it was the thirty days keeping it off the market after the Tennessee is over. Actually it's ninety days. I looked up the statute as us on this conference. Oh wow, they have to keep it off the market for ninety days. But after ninety days and the land when they can do whatever they want. They can even re rent it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So it's really.
Speaker 6: Sad if you but if they if I wanted to sell it, Brad, if I wanted to sell it, I could not sell it within ninety days.
Speaker 5: No, you could sell it.
Speaker 15: You could list it for sale immediately. You cannot listen it.
Speaker 18: For rental.
Speaker 7: Okay, got it?
Speaker 8: Got it?
Speaker 6: So that's to keep people from getting someone out for their friend to move in, because they'd have to suffer ninety days no rent. Well, actually I hate if you really hate the tenant, Brad, are you saying I really if you just looked up to statue, tell me this is it saying you just can't list it or you can't rent it.
Speaker 18: List it, you can re rent it right away, So you could.
Speaker 9: Rerent it to somebody else right away, Tom and not wait ninety days.
Speaker 5: You simply can't list it for rent.
Speaker 18: Yep.
Speaker 7: So really, the the law doesn't have any teeth.
Speaker 5: So you're telling one of these things that sounds good, right, that's a big we didn't know, big man.
Speaker 7: The law says you have to give just cause.
Speaker 6: But if you don't give just cause, you can just rent it out again.
Speaker 5: You just can't list it. And then if you do.
Speaker 7: But Brad, what hold on?
Speaker 24: Now?
Speaker 7: I know where it comes into play. Brad.
Speaker 6: Let's say I ask my tenant to leave, and in my mind I have someone lined up to take the place.
Speaker 7: I tell the tenant I'm going to.
Speaker 6: Sell it or I'm going to renovate it you need to leave, and the tenant doesn't believe me and they don't leave, and I want to go through the eviction under that circumstance, then it would have to be a real renovation or a real sale, right, I mean, because then you'd be in court.
Speaker 7: Go ahead.
Speaker 15: Yeah, with renovation you have to prove it. So renovation is another one of these just cause reasons to try to not renew somebody. When you're using the renovation reason, you actually do have to prove up your plans.
Speaker 18: And that's a.
Speaker 15: Tricky one to use because if depending on the length of length of the rehab, the tenant gets the first red of refusal to come back.
Speaker 9: If so, you want to lose the sale option. If you're trying to get rid of somebody.
Speaker 15: Yes, the sale was the best one because you can now it's not any old ninety days.
Speaker 18: It has to be the night. It has to be in line with the end of the least term.
Speaker 15: So if she's on a one year least term the.
Speaker 7: Leonard Sorry, if you didn't give me it's at the end of the lease.
Speaker 5: She gets ninety days.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it has to be back down the end of the lease.
Speaker 18: The end of the lease. Right, It's not just like ninety days in the.
Speaker 6: Mid Sarah, Sarah, when exactly does your lease end?
Speaker 12: It's literally ending within the next few days. That's what I was saying, was she supposed to get ninety days before because this is not right. She tricked me saying that she was going to resign the lease, and then she wrong. This paper here had me thinking that we were going to receive it and then change her mind.
Speaker 6: But Brad, here's the thing. Let's say, hold on, Sarah. Let's say she did not get ninety days notice from the end of the lease, which she didn't. Can she give her ninety days notice from now?
Speaker 15: Yes, but it'll be effective April thirtieth, twenty twenty six. Because assuming that you're following here, renews next week, you know, May first, I assume it is she has the.
Speaker 18: Right to renew, yeh.
Speaker 6: But if she doesn't renew the lease, I guess I'm saying this. If the landlord comes to Sarah and says, Sarah, I'm going to sell the house. I'll rent you month to month, can't they just do that? Well?
Speaker 15: Yes, if it goes month to month starting May first, then the landlord still has to give ninety days, but they can get ninety days right away and it'll be effect her three months later.
Speaker 6: Okay, got it. Okay, that's what I wanted to know. So, Sarah, basically, I really think you should look for another place to live, is what I'm thinking. I mean, yeah, because the landlord can get they can get rid of you unless you want to do a month to month with a ninety days notice. I mean, tell her, tell her you're willing to do months a month until you find a place. I mean, if she has it up for sale, she shouldn't mind that.
Speaker 12: What she's saying is that she doesn't know when it's gonna She said she hasn't.
Speaker 25: Got gave us an adequate notice.
Speaker 12: She's saying that basically it could be like full tomorrow. I don't know how long she's put it on the market. And then she's saying that when.
Speaker 25: She knows, I have forty five days to leave.
Speaker 12: So I don't know when she doesn't know either. She just brung this here like it's a retaliation because.
Speaker 7: Well, she's going about it the wrong way.
Speaker 5: What she gets ninety days from what I'm understanding, right.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but if she renews for another year, starting in May first.
Speaker 18: Then she's locked in for another year.
Speaker 7: But they're not renewing. They're not renewing.
Speaker 6: What they're saying to her is we don't This is what they're saying, Sarah, we don't know when this is gonna sell, but we're happy to rent to you until it sells. And when we sell it, we'll give you forty five days. Isn't that what they're saying to you, Sarah?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 15: Well, but Sarah, okay, right to renew next week for another year?
Speaker 2: She does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So how does she do that, Brad?
Speaker 18: She demands a new lease, Simple.
Speaker 9: As that, because she wasn't given the proper notice. Right, you need to demand a new lease. Then, even if she does sell. Listen, even if she does sell the house, the new owner of the house has to abide by that lease, right, Brad, Yes, and then that person would have to give you ninety days next year. I agree with what Sarah is saying. They're trying to tricker in getting out of there.
Speaker 6: Oh, so they screwed up. And because they screwed up, Sarah has a right right now because she didn't get the notice, she has a to renew for a year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she can demand the lease.
Speaker 9: But now, Brad, if the landlord says, well, I'm just simply not going to give you one, then what's her next step?
Speaker 15: Well, i'd write, haven't attorney write a letter? Or she can write a letter dating what her position, and then if it goes to court, then I think that she's got a.
Speaker 7: Great case, Sarah.
Speaker 6: You know what, I didn't realize this, Sarah, but you do have a right to renew. According to Brad, you might want to give him a call off the air or call someone. I wouldn't recommend you navigate this alone, but you have a right because you didn't get that ninety day notice, you have a right now to renew for a year. And I think that what Mark said and what Brad said, she's trying to trick you right now and to signing something.
Speaker 9: Hey Brad, just reality here, reality check real quick. If she sends you over the lease just a eyeball and then wants you to write a letter to this lady, I mean, what is she looking at there? A few hundred bucks? What I mean, how does that look? Not going to court? I'm just saying, for what we're talking about, this first step, that's.
Speaker 15: Right, just like an hour of my time at most, that's nothing you need.
Speaker 5: To call them, simple as that.
Speaker 6: All right, I gotta take this break hold on guys three oh three seven one three eight two five five go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martino here three three seven to one to three talk seven one three eight two five five. Rod Grier and Bob Perry's with us from chaff Our Cars. I have another question about leasing, Bob. Someone wants to know and you and I talked about this. Can you lease a used car? And is it worth it? Because don't they depreciate in the first two years? Like can you talk about leasing a used car?
Speaker 8: Sure? Absolutely so? There is used car leasing.
Speaker 11: The parameters it has to be six model years are newer, six model years old or newer, And so it just depends on the car. The used car leases that are the cars at least the best are cars that depreciate a lot as soon as you drive them off with a lot, so the biggest depreciation's already gone and they won't depreciate that much more over the next three or four years. But the same logic on a used car as a new car. You've got the options at the end, and it makes sense on a lot of cars. If a car doesn't depreciate a lot when you drive it off the lot, a new one is probably a better deal.
Speaker 6: Now other than Tesla, who does their own leases, you're telling me. You told me, Bob, when I was looking at leasing an electric vehicle that it's not a good vehicle to lease with conventional leasing companies.
Speaker 11: Most of them won't do it because they don't know what the future value is going to be. And that's the you know, the good part about leasing is someone's predicting the future value. So the manufacturers are doing it. And there's some killer leases on electric cars right now, new electric cars, but.
Speaker 7: That's only from the manufacturers.
Speaker 11: Right, which we can do that through them, but yeah, there's some crazy, crazy leases.
Speaker 9: What do you guys think in general of dealerships? And here's what I mean. I love Tesla's model. There's no middleman. Tesla sells you the car. There's not some guy that owns a Ford dealer or Chevy dealer. And I realize you deal with all the so you'll be a little biased on it, But honestly, I love that model. I think you cut out the middleman when it comes to sales.
Speaker 5: You got to deal with the service somehow.
Speaker 9: I get that warranty stuff stuff like that, but Tesla has it figured out. I mean, don't you think that's a better model going forward? Or even And this sounds crazy, Hondai, you can go on Amazon now and buy a Santa Fe for the same price you're going to buy it at any deal or through you guys. Hey, it's not really cutting out the middleman because Amazon's making a little bit of the spread there.
Speaker 5: But what do you guys think?
Speaker 7: I think direct to consumer is a great idea.
Speaker 23: The I like competition and it's kind of nice to be able to instead of like Tesla. You can go to them only, and they control the price from the beginning to the end, even in the financing.
Speaker 9: You know what, He's right because there is no negotiation. I thought, not only that they do set the price, and you're right where a dealer ship, if it's been sitting on their line for three or four months, Hell, they'll take a haircut on it to get rid of that. So and that that will never happen with a directed.
Speaker 7: Hold on, hold on, hold on, said Peter, go ahead.
Speaker 8: I have no business in disargument.
Speaker 21: But your car is one of the only two things I know that you go and dicker over the price. When the last time you guys went and bought a refrigerator and argued with the guy how much you're gonna pay for the refriger.
Speaker 7: It comes from the old days of horse trading.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, And my my thought is do you like that though?
Speaker 7: Do you like dickering?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Wait, wait, wait, wait, let me argue, hold on, let me take your motorcycles that way though, Peter, can you can you negotiate motorcycles?
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: Yeah, but you can, guys, But but wait, go back to the refrigerator. Like you said, I agree, you walk into best Buy, You're not going to dicker around with the price. But you can also go to Costco. You can go to multiple places and get a better price. Have con that refrigerat.
Speaker 8: It's the point. Okay, here's where I listen.
Speaker 7: I gotta take a break.
Speaker 6: Tell Jen we will definitely take her next I promise more.
Speaker 7: Right after this, go with a sure.
Speaker 6: Thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Please time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three O three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 7: Okay, So what's going on Jen with your towing?
Speaker 20: Hello?
Speaker 8: Hi Jen?
Speaker 7: What's happening with your towing? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Jen?
Speaker 20: Okay? So I am at the beginning of February, I was in a car that I was not at fault and when my car was shoved into the sidewalk, but it was probably I don't know. Anyway, it got towed by a toe company. I don't know if I'm supposed to say this seminary or not.
Speaker 6: Now you can say, what's the name of the company.
Speaker 20: Conley's Towing. Okay, So it got towed to their lot, I have I've never been through anything like this, so really I had no idea what the steps were. But about a week later I received something from them in the mail. I called them. They said they wanted two hundred and fifty dollars for a tophy, one hundred dollars for administration fees. And then that phone call, the woman told me it was like eighty dollars a day.
Speaker 5: That all sounds correct so far.
Speaker 20: So I had gotten that job like two days before that, but I needed my carport, so I hadn't been able to work, and I don't have money like that laying around.
Speaker 7: So Jen has your car hold on?
Speaker 2: Jen?
Speaker 6: Let's let's let's Jen, if if Connolly's towed you from an accident, if Connolly's told you from an accident, they have a right to do that, especially if they are contracted with the city to do it. Most likely they are when you're once you're told there are strict guidelines, is what they can charge you.
Speaker 7: And all of that. But if they go by those.
Speaker 6: Guidelines, your insurance should have to pay for this. You shouldn't have to pay for if you're in an accident and it's not at fault, your insurance should help you or the other person's insurance. Are you making a claim against the other person's insurance.
Speaker 20: They didn't have any insurance, and neither did the owner. They were borrowing a car and the owner of the carden.
Speaker 6: Okay, well do you have Do you have uninsured motors coverage?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 20: Nobody told me about that. I had liability. My car was two thousand and four, so I wasn't able to get any of the good stuff. But I had no idea.
Speaker 6: About jen uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motors coverage would have cost you about.
Speaker 7: One hundred dollars a year.
Speaker 6: It's the cheapest coverage you can buy, and there's all kinds of stuff you should have had. So are you calling because you can't afford to get your car?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 20: No, no, no, it's different than it's more than that. So between the beginning of February and April tenth.
Speaker 6: I called hold on Range, Just hold on Jen. I need to know Jen when we come back. I just want to know why you're calling hold on, and we'll come right back to you.
Speaker 7: I'm Tom Martino.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Ripped news need so you don't have.
Speaker 3: Run as we can shoot us. Gonna help man.
Speaker 4: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez, Hello.
Speaker 6: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three ozh three seven one three talks seven one.
Speaker 7: Three eight two five five. Those of you.
Speaker 6: Streaming, you see this old guy next to me, and you're thinking, who is this old man? This is Peter Boyles. We're both old old. We never thought we'd get there. We never thought anyway. Peter Boyle stopped by to say hi. Now he has to leave, We're gonna say bye, Peter. What are your give us some wisdom on your some parting wisdom.
Speaker 8: I'm just watching you and this is fun. From an insider, It's fun, isn't it.
Speaker 21: You know what, you you put a lot of work into this.
Speaker 8: And I've said that this, said this to you during the pause.
Speaker 21: You're an orchestra leader and you have these two men here, they're great, incredible, and then you have your whole team back Mark and everybody right, and then.
Speaker 6: We have Deputy Doc and Deputy Dollar, and we have Dept. Chopper other deputies like these guys.
Speaker 8: All the electronics. Yeah, I mean it is it's we.
Speaker 21: I say that we're in a dying art a dying art form as it moves into all kinds of other parts of this of the atmosphere of what communication is all about.
Speaker 8: That there was a time that talk.
Speaker 7: Radio was a shisnt's you know what?
Speaker 6: You know what shocked me more than anything in the digital age, I'll tell you what shocked me. There are thousands and thousands and thousands of podcasts, absolutely, and some of them get here's what I didn't understand, or I don't understand some of them pop a number?
Speaker 7: How do you pop a number when you're out?
Speaker 6: Would you say they're ten thousand podcasts or more?
Speaker 7: I don't know?
Speaker 5: Millions?
Speaker 7: Man, he thinks, how do people get an audience with all that?
Speaker 8: Well, they don't, but some of them damn do.
Speaker 21: But we've we know plenty of people that didn't have an audience in talk radio. Right, that's true, so you know we looked at it that way. But no guys like Joe Rogan and some of these guys there, Oh my god, Rogan Rogan made Trump.
Speaker 8: He think about it. I mean, what Joe Rogan did is help.
Speaker 6: You know what about There's something about Joe Rogan that I like. He doesn't make it all about himself, and he's not.
Speaker 21: You remember him when he used to come in and do the show with me. He lived in Boulder, No, you and I were, we're working together.
Speaker 7: You actually had him on your show.
Speaker 8: He was their stand up comic and he liked the fight and uh, I like.
Speaker 7: Was he an actual fighter too?
Speaker 21: I don't know if he ever fought other than he did announcing right, Well, he.
Speaker 8: Was a fighter.
Speaker 16: He was an MMA fighter, that's why he's doing ann and he he was.
Speaker 21: I think he was a point fighter. I'm not so sure that he was a grappler.
Speaker 5: I doubt he was like MMA or anything.
Speaker 8: So I just know he was a bad ad. No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 21: I think he was a point fighter, which at the time might as well have been full contact.
Speaker 8: But no, he's a tough guy. He's a way tough guy.
Speaker 9: I love that show he did where they would eat like spiders and jump off bridges and.
Speaker 7: I don't love did he do that one?
Speaker 2: He did?
Speaker 5: That one was fear Factor, that's right. But a good guy.
Speaker 8: I mean, my my experience with him was that I liked Joe Rogan.
Speaker 21: Oh and he's and he came across the same way I think on his podcast, and he did great stuff and he would didn't any back away. But he was unconstricted, Tommy by the federal government.
Speaker 8: And that's what you and I have lived with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had to be.
Speaker 6: We had to live by the the FCC rules and rigs and now nobody does.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So anyway, Peter, it was a joy having you.
Speaker 5: What d you'll have a Harley? Or what are you doing, Pete?
Speaker 21: No, I tell you I went. I went through some health issues. I I bought a trike.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 21: I never thought i'd write no, but I never thought it's beautiful.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have a picture of myself.
Speaker 21: No, no, no, no, no, it's a that'll be next the little Rascal.
Speaker 8: It's a it's an r G three. It's a road Glide three.
Speaker 5: Argie, I'm looking at it ricked out.
Speaker 7: No, it's really good. I showed you a p I put it on the air one time.
Speaker 26: Here.
Speaker 6: I put it on my feed of me on it because Peter took a picture.
Speaker 8: Of me, you and I I got.
Speaker 18: Of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah, these are pretty bad ass. Actually, no, they're they're really bad ass. I love them.
Speaker 8: I'm going down to pick it up right now.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 21: I had work done on it, some additional Yeah, some additional work.
Speaker 8: It's never really done.
Speaker 21: I have found some great young young men working in this business.
Speaker 7: It's just you know.
Speaker 6: I built an airplane one time I was going to bring to an air show and I wanted to I wanted to have it painted in a really fancy way.
Speaker 7: So here's the I did this was this was not that long?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 27: Was?
Speaker 7: It was legal? I bought him.
Speaker 6: I bought a marijuana and a pack, six pack and let him loosen my hangar, and I said, paint this plane any way you want.
Speaker 7: I swear to God, I.
Speaker 8: Remember when you did that.
Speaker 7: They were crazy crazy I did.
Speaker 6: The plane was primed white, and I said do anything you want. And they said, are you kidding, dude? And I said no, And I left him with some marijuana and a six pack. The longest ride I'm going to show you. I'm going to show everybody online a picture of that coming up, of what they did while they were high.
Speaker 21: Anyway, anyway, every year up to South Dakota and back, Oh nice, and then a week riding in South Dakota, probably round trip, I don't know, two two thousand miles give or take.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good haul, man, that's a good haul.
Speaker 21: But you know what, motorcycles, I'm to think people that understand them or love them, and it's a different boogie than what people think motorcires.
Speaker 8: It's really is a way of life that it is. It is with the bikes.
Speaker 6: Anyway, Peter, as I said, you're welcome to stay as long as you can, but you have to leave.
Speaker 8: I gotta go get my bike. All right, we'll look at the round it starts.
Speaker 6: And I'm going to take some phone calls three all three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five anytime, Peter, anytime, Bro, We'll see it.
Speaker 8: Marco'll give you a call. Brother man Thak you're Brokay.
Speaker 6: Now the towing issue, Jen, here's what I need to know.
Speaker 7: You said you were in a not.
Speaker 6: A fault accident, your car was towed by Connolly, and then you said there was way more to the story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, did you just flush it?
Speaker 7: Will see more to the story?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 18: Something?
Speaker 28: So okay? So I am.
Speaker 20: Sorry. I have to figure out where we are in Sorry, okay. So I talked to them numerous times since the beginning of the accident. On they said they wanted three hundred and fifty dollars and the title and it wouldn't get sent to collections, or I could pay the storage and I could take it. I talked to them at the middle of February, the beginning of March, and like the third week in March, I'm April.
Speaker 7: But where does it stand right now?
Speaker 6: Jan?
Speaker 7: Why are you calling today?
Speaker 6: Tell me why you're calling today.
Speaker 20: It's at a poll and pay. It's like half a car now and it's at the poll and pay.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, they junked it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but but didn't they say?
Speaker 6: Didn't they say if you gave him, well, they had a right to though. If you didn't pay the bill, they had a right to take ownership of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but the other person's insurance. Here's where I'm a little lost. How come it just simply didn't get paid? Did no one have insurance including you and the.
Speaker 20: No one had liability?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I only had like the other party did not have insurance.
Speaker 5: You're screwed.
Speaker 20: But that's why I kept in contact with them. Doesn't matter because I told them I was trying to get the.
Speaker 6: But I don't see. This is what I don't understand. You talk a lot, but this is what I don't understand. Keeping in contact with them means nothing.
Speaker 2: Zero.
Speaker 7: They want payment.
Speaker 6: But but you could have signed it over to them and had them do it voluntarly.
Speaker 5: But they had to do it in for me to sign it.
Speaker 9: Then, even worse than that, just for me to sign it listen to them.
Speaker 6: Oh that's weird. Was this I wentn't by the cops. So was it towed by the cops?
Speaker 25: It was by Conley.
Speaker 5: Well, I understand the towing company. Here's the deal.
Speaker 9: You could have got it for seventy five bucks if it wasn't towed by the by the cops.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it was.
Speaker 6: I think I think it was towed by the cops because it was an accident and the cops probably ordered it.
Speaker 7: Maybe not, though, I mean, she can research that. Jen.
Speaker 6: Here's what I want to tell you, so we don't waste your time research.
Speaker 1: Didn't have it?
Speaker 5: Have it tod Then that's seventy Okay, then you're out of luck. Yeah, it didn't matter.
Speaker 7: Then you're out of luck. What you're out of luck?
Speaker 12: What's seventy dollars?
Speaker 9: Well, if you if someone let's say you park in an apartment complex where you're not supposed to park, or at a restaurant or somewhere that's monitored, and your car gets towed and three or four days later you owe five hundred dollars, they have to release it for seventy five dollars. Yet they have to it's the law in Colorado. But in your case it doesn't matter because that does not affect a towing company when the police are involved.
Speaker 6: But Mark, you should also mention that you get your car for seventy five dollars, but you have to make payments on the balance.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, absolutely you do. You got to pay the full bill.
Speaker 2: Your vehicle. Jen.
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter, it's.
Speaker 8: Jen.
Speaker 7: It this Mark mentioned this whole thing.
Speaker 6: Mark mentioned this whole thing about seventy five dollars, and it has nothing to do with your case. So he was just giving an example of an independent toe the fact that the police had it done.
Speaker 7: There's nothing we can do about it.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, Jen, I'm really sorry, but there's nothing we can do about it.
Speaker 5: Are you still pound on it?
Speaker 13: Kelly?
Speaker 6: No, Okay, that's good at least. Well she's got to have your car now. Yeah, but but why are we keeping this going? We can't help her. I mean, I want to be honest with her. Again, we can't help her, Kelly. You have a question about real estate?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 7: Kelly?
Speaker 10: Hi?
Speaker 25: Tom? Yes, I have two questions.
Speaker 2: One is.
Speaker 25: I think that you can only raise the rent once a year and only at ten right? Can you tell me also that is true?
Speaker 5: I don't think to ten? Correct?
Speaker 6: No, I think, hold on, there is there. Well, we have to find out rather than speculate. But I think you're right about the once a year.
Speaker 7: Now, I think once the year's correct.
Speaker 9: But I don't think there's any you could I don't think there's any cap on what you can raise it.
Speaker 5: I mean, think about that.
Speaker 9: If I remodel it and put one hundred and fifty million dollars into it, I'm still not going to rent it out for one thousand dollars a month, right, But.
Speaker 25: So, okay, so you can only raise it once a year, and if you could find out if the cap is ten percent of there.
Speaker 6: Is, I just found out. I just went on the way. Listen, I just went on the law. There is no the least agreement itself can limit rent increases.
Speaker 7: The city or county might.
Speaker 6: Have specific rules, but as of yet, there is no cap on rent in Colorado. Yeah, it'd be insane to do that, even the wackos that are writing the law. Here, here's where you heard, here's where you heard the ten percent. Okay, landlords must give a longer notice if they're going to raise it more than ten percent, Okay, so they So I'm going to find out it says, ninety days notice.
Speaker 9: I ameme, you'r a landlord? Yes, yeah, okay, what do you How much are you going to raise it? Just said Caius. Here's the rule. You want to hear the rule. Let's hear the rule. Let's go to the law.
Speaker 6: Landlord must give sixty days notice for any rent increase, but if it's more than ten percent, they have to give ninety days notice.
Speaker 8: There we go.
Speaker 25: Okay, and I'm way below the market, so uh, you know I and everything is raising in costs, So on ninety days if you're going to raise it more than ten percent and sixty days, it's.
Speaker 9: Right, you know what, Tom, Tom, you're raking that up. Just made me think of another loophole for landlords. Let's say you do want someone out, but you're not going to sell the property, and you're not gonna do other things that can exempt you from not renewing the lease. You give ninety days notice that that fifteen hundred dollars a month's now one hundred thousand a month, and they're gone, Jack, Yeah, I mean I take to day.
Speaker 6: You can raise it to whatever you want. I think you can raise it to whatever you want.
Speaker 25: And what if you don't have a lease with the person. They're in there without a lease.
Speaker 6: If you do have a lease with them, it's thirty it's it's a thirty day. It's moth Actually, I read this wrong. There is a new law. There is a new law. If the rent increase is ten percent or less. Oh no, no, no, never mind. It's what I said, sixty days. Notice. If it's ten percent or more, it's ninety days. It used to be sixty days for everything. Now it's ninety days. If you're gonna do it more than that. Thank you for calling Kelly. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five more, Coming right up, Go with a sure thing, Denver's best rufer excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Leave time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Archino, you're troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk seven on three eight two five five. Our guests today for Car Friday, Rodgreer and Bob Perry.
Speaker 7: They're both from Jfrcars.
Speaker 6: Now, I want to I want to talk about leasing because I'm fascinating with Lison.
Speaker 7: I'm fascinated.
Speaker 6: In fact, I've made up my mind I will never buy another car and tie up a chunk of capital again because the lease makes far better sense. If I believe you're not doing excessive mileage. Now, Bob says, who's the leasing expert? Bob Perry says, even if you're doing high mileage, if you'll account for it leasing a still all right.
Speaker 7: But I don't know. Like I said, if you're going to do a bunch of mileage, maybe just keep the car.
Speaker 6: But somebody did text the question, Bob Perry, have you had people who lease a car for three years and then come in and put it on a three year loan and buy it so they're into that car for.
Speaker 7: Six years with a very manageable payment.
Speaker 8: Sure, I've done that a lot.
Speaker 11: And we've also taken people that had a three year lease and put them in another three year lease on the same car.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, Wait just a minute, buddy, You mean to tell me you can lease the car then turn around and take the residual value and release it again.
Speaker 11: You can, Yes, absolutely, Sometimes the payment's extremely small then because there's not a lot of depreciation left in that car, so makes sense. And you know the car, you know it's your cars.
Speaker 6: So and then at the end of the six years, do they buy it or let it go or they they have their choice, right, sure, whatever makes sense at that time. Someone wants to know when they were shopping for a leased a lease back in the day, there was a closed end lease and an open end lease. Do they still have those in what are they?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 11: So, the difference is an open end lease is really designed for companies business commercial use. On an open end lease, the less he is responsible for the residual value. So let's just say you have a construction company and you want to.
Speaker 8: Lease a truck.
Speaker 11: Average wear and tear is different in the mind of a lender versus the guy who's using the truck. So on an open end lease, he's still responsible for the residual value. Closed end leases are designed for individuals. So that they aren't responsible for the residual value. The lender will and that value based on miles and average wear and tear.
Speaker 6: So they why would anyone want Why would anyone want.
Speaker 7: To close then lease?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 11: Because you can walk away from it. You're not responsible for the residual value. That's you know, we've talked. That's the advantage of leasing is you have the upside potential without the downside risk.
Speaker 7: Oh clo closed en means closed n leases you walk away from every time.
Speaker 11: Correct, So on an open end lease, same situation, a guy returns his vehicle. What happens in is you either take it to auction or you get three bids. If it's worth more than the residual value, he gets the money back. If it's worthless, he gets a bill because of the use of the vehicle.
Speaker 6: I got a question, have you ever had it go ahead? If you is there a five year lease?
Speaker 9: There is, yes, So if you had a five year lease, and let's say it's ten thousand miles to use easy numbers, so at the end of the five years, you're supposed to turn it in fifty thousand dollars is basically what fifty miles or fifty thousand miles right now, I'm being dead serious. If you end up turning it in with two hundred thousand miles, could it literally end up costing you more than if you just bought the vehicle.
Speaker 11: So in that case, there's a break even point of what's the car worth if you buy it out versus what's the penalty for miles. So if you have that many miles on, it makes more sense to buy the car and take less for the car because a penalty won't be as big as the mileage penalty.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that does okay, Yeah, so Bob, I'd never thought of that before. So at the end of a lease, if you have excessive mileage, maybe not as excessive a march set, but just excessive mileage, rather than taking a hit on the residual, you can simply buy it.
Speaker 11: For yourself absolutely, because your buyout is a fixed purchase option the day you signed the lease, so you know what that car is going to cost you. So's there's a time where you're just going to have too many I'm going to have to buy it and just work.
Speaker 7: My way out of it.
Speaker 8: And that's that's always a possibility.
Speaker 6: See there again, another reason to have a lease. Even if you go over mileage, you have the price of the car. And here's what I've always said, when you lease the car and buy it out at the end of the lease, it's like buying a used car, except you know the owner and you know exactly how that car was kept. Yep, Okay, I want to talk to Tim, real quick caller Tim. And by the way, the ABNY calls, especially about leasing cars.
Speaker 7: I think it's phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five Tim, go.
Speaker 24: Ahead, Hey, hey, hey, John, can hear me?
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I can, yes, Okay, I can hear you.
Speaker 24: My father in law passed away about three years ago, and my wife did the taxes for him, and he got a refund, and the federal refund came, and everything was buying and they you know, she's been in the death certificate and and the check was me out to his estate and I just we were looking on the Colorado'll find my money and realized we had this check out there that was supposed to be made out to my wife and we can't figure out who to call to get them to reissue the check so we can you know, so we can get the money.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, they don't reissue the check. The check was issued, the money went to the Escheat Funds. That's where the money sits.
Speaker 24: Yeah, exactly, but it's still under my father in law's name and it should be under.
Speaker 6: I understand, but you don't. They won't reissue. They won't reissue it.
Speaker 7: You go to the.
Speaker 6: State Eschiet Funds with the treasury and that's where you claim it with the death certificate.
Speaker 24: Okay, And is there a number for that or do when? I just do that online because we've my wife got a couple of phone numbers and nobody, nobody can really figure out how to help us. And you're kind of our last quot.
Speaker 7: It's all part Listen. It's called it.
Speaker 6: Here's what. It's called the Great Colorado Payback. And I believe I don't know if the site, Yeah, the site I believe says Great Colorado. It's Great Colorado Payback. Okay, I just I don't know what the the actual u r L A, what's hold on?
Speaker 7: What's what's the u r L.
Speaker 16: So it's called Colorado dot find your Unclaimed Property dot com.
Speaker 6: No, that's not that's not a government site that is not a government site, that is a private site.
Speaker 18: That's what we can say.
Speaker 8: Pictures here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think it might be, but it would be the only government side I know that's not dot gov.
Speaker 8: It's the only one.
Speaker 6: So if it is, they're really really playing uh the plant, it's really weird. It's it's here's it. It's here's what it is. He said the same thing, And I found the same thing, and it sure as hell looks like a site, like a government site.
Speaker 8: It's got their address.
Speaker 7: No, I know, I know, I see. Well, so it looks official to me.
Speaker 24: Okay, I I went to that site and I had some money coming back to and I did get my money back and it took you know, it took like a week. So yeah, that's I mean, it's legit.
Speaker 5: And so you guys are where too.
Speaker 19: The Colorado dot gov does link to that website, the Colorado Yeah, that's right, your claimed property dot com. So yes, it's right, is official.
Speaker 7: It is linked.
Speaker 6: You're right, So it is linked to the Colorado payback and it is official. I just never saw a dot com site from the government, but the dot gov site links to it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So anyway, you said you had already claimed money from there, Tim for yourself, that your wife would do the same thing for her father, she would do the same thing for her father, and then you just have to show proof of representation.
Speaker 24: Okay, I will Hey, I tried to.
Speaker 9: Hey, just as a comment on this, I have a company from years ago. It's called Colorado I don't want to say because people go look it up and it has like over a thousand bucks sitting in that a sheet or whatever it's called fund and I have sent them every bit of information to prove I own that company, and I simply can't get that money.
Speaker 5: It really sucks.
Speaker 9: I think if it's under your name, it's probably easy to get, but man, if it's under a company you owned, like literally a corporation, you just can't get it.
Speaker 23: Tom.
Speaker 9: I mean, I have sent them every possible thing they have asked for, and I still don't have that money.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's odd, because how does anyone with a corporation then get the money.
Speaker 5: I have no idea they want.
Speaker 9: Of course, I can understand they want to prove you own the company or did own the company, But I've sent them all the proof I possibly can. I mean, everything tax returns. I mean, you name it. I've sent it to them, but I just can't get it back.
Speaker 5: It's crazy, man.
Speaker 7: Wow, Okay, we need to take a break. Listen, Kim.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna look up how you do it with an estate and we'll have more on that coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure thing Denvers Best Roofer, Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hello Tom Martino three O three seven to one three talk three O three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: We are here to help you solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. By the way, I really found that I'm owed money too from the state.
Speaker 9: I just I don't know what the one is because it just says over two hundred and fifty, but I mean I round it up at least five six hundred bucks.
Speaker 5: I'm doing it right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So if you go to this place, man, it tells you what you are owed.
Speaker 7: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: There's any tart.
Speaker 9: They owe me zero, which is really it says Bank of the West owes.
Speaker 5: Me zero point zero zero. Wow.
Speaker 7: I just don't know why.
Speaker 29: Okay, hold on like yeah, yeah, no, no, Mark, I have a theory that I can't wait a safe deposit box that and they're holding the contents for you.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, we did have a We did have a safety deposit box at Bank.
Speaker 5: Of the West.
Speaker 8: Tom, can we add this to.
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 9: Just said that it says what's in the box. I don't know what's in that box. There could be some skeletons in that there box.
Speaker 16: Let's do a live opening like Heraldo Rivera when he opened that Gangsters ball.
Speaker 5: You know what I'll do.
Speaker 9: I'll put a PEPSI can in there just to make it look good it. Can you imagine if I opened it up live on YouTube and there was like a sack of cocaine?
Speaker 16: Yes, well, would there be a second deposit box.
Speaker 5: Only if the bankers put it in there.
Speaker 6: Anyway, they said that I filled out everything while we were on the air, and they said, now you have to complete it when they send you something. So they have to send me something now that I have to complete, even going all through that online, how much was yours time?
Speaker 7: And thirty five dollars?
Speaker 26: Oh?
Speaker 6: Anyway, the Colorado? I got a text, you get payback. Here's here's the Colorado. This is a hey, in all honesty.
Speaker 7: Has no one in the office.
Speaker 6: When I registered to speak to someone, they told me that everybody works from home.
Speaker 9: Just send in the documentation. Go ahead, mark, So thirty five dollars. How far would that get you in your bird?
Speaker 2: In your bird?
Speaker 5: Well across the streets? Serious? Ten miles?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 6: Fuel costs six dollars and about six thirty five times times for an hour, it burns twenty twenty three times twenty three, so it burns one hundred and forty six dollars and five cents an hour. So geez, So thirty five dollars, Oh yeah, just do the math.
Speaker 7: Thirty five dollars.
Speaker 6: So that's one hundred and forty six divided by thirty five, right, yeah, that's what I do would give me.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know if that's right.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I got to figure it out a different way. I'm not gonna do math live on the air.
Speaker 6: I'll figure I'll figure out how far thirty five dollars will give me. Wait, I know what a do thirty five will get me, and I know what to do.
Speaker 7: Folks.
Speaker 6: Wait, I'm not that stupid six thirty six thirty five, right.
Speaker 7: So what I do is this.
Speaker 6: I take the the thirty five dollars and divide it by the gallon, so six thirty five, and then I come up with five gallons. So five gallons would get me about twenty fifty twenty. Yeah, approximately fifteen minutes.
Speaker 16: Is that enough time to take to take Mark over to pick up his safe deposit box from the government.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe three three seven one, three eight two five five.
Speaker 7: I gotta take a break, Brian.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about your possible break issue coming up on your two thousand and six f one fifty one.
Speaker 7: Clear Choice garage doors.
Speaker 6: That's where you can put your f one fifty one clear choice garage doors. Keeps the garage doors healthy, the openers the doors, any part of the door any part of the opener or brand new doors or brand new openers, all of their prices fully disclosed. One clear choice Doors dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com.
Speaker 7: List your home with Remax Alliance three.
Speaker 6: Oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. I'm Tom Martino. Welcome Brian. Brian, you have a parking issue. What's going on, Brian?
Speaker 27: Actually, Tom, it's not a parking issue. It's actually my truck stalls while I'm coming to a stop.
Speaker 6: Oh a pompa. I didn't mean parking, it says breaking. I'm so sorry, So tell me what happens. Tell me what happens when you roll up to like a traffic light and stops.
Speaker 27: What happens well, and not every single time, it's just every once in a while, it all of a sudden, I can you know, you can feel the truck losing power and then it basically shuts down, and so I have to throw it into park and then start it right back up again, and I put it in a drive and I continue on. Then I won't do it for a while, but then there'll be I don't know, maybe and this just started happening like last couple of days, so it doesn't happen every single time.
Speaker 6: You know what we're gonna get ket Is Kevin available by phone?
Speaker 7: I know he's not in today, but is.
Speaker 9: He available by think his uh service or not service manager? But his store manager basically called in last minute, so he's there at the shop.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, all.
Speaker 6: Right, so let's call Kevin and we'll ask him to give it to weigh in on this breaking issue. But I think do you have an idea? Dmeetri hey, Brian.
Speaker 16: In the past couple of days, just before this problem became a parent, did you happen to either change the battery or disconnect the battery or run out of battery power?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 7: Ah? Why why did you ask that?
Speaker 16: So what happens is if Brian's throttle body hasn't been cleaned in.
Speaker 8: A long time.
Speaker 16: Then he's going to experience this exact symptom every time the truck goes into wild idol. Because the throttle body cleaning insures proper airflow into the engine, and because his throttle body is filthy right now like mine once once was, then the air fuel mixture is wrong.
Speaker 7: Then what what did it have to do with losing power?
Speaker 8: You asked?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 16: So, over the years, as the throttle body becomes dirtier and dirtier and dirtier, the car's computer adjusts for that. It remembers that you had a filthy throttle body last time it started, so it adjusts the air fuel mixture to compensate for the filth. But once you disconnect the battery, that memory is wiped out and the truck forgot that it learned how to adjust for the.
Speaker 7: Dormind God, how cool is this?
Speaker 16: So I think you're going to need a throttle body service bridan deputy.
Speaker 7: Deputy d sounds like a mechanic, so no doubt. What do you say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, basically what he's saying is that the throttle bodies are dirty, and it used to adjust for it, but now it's not adjusting for it anymore because you lost power.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Once that diagnoses that and cleans your it's called an induction service. Is the service you would want to ask for. Provided Kevin agrees with my amateur diagnosis of the problem, then please call us so let us know if that was right or not.
Speaker 8: I mean, I've got a lot writing on this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so let's Kevin's on right now, Kevin, real quick, Kevin, if if his truck, hey man, his F one P fifty as he's coming to a stop sign or a stop light, it wants to stall now. Dimitri said it could be the throttle body. He said, at one time, the throttle body was adjusting for that, giving you enough air. But he lost power, uh, with his battery one time, and that erased the memory.
Speaker 26: Oh yeah yeah. It also has a learning curve in it as well. Dmitri nailed it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what That's what Dimitri said.
Speaker 6: And then that battery when your battery dish charged, it wiped out the memory or the.
Speaker 8: Learning yep, yep.
Speaker 26: It could be a relearner. It could be dirt or her bulk. Yes, yeah, yeah, Dmitri nailed it. Good job, Dmitri thank good job.
Speaker 16: I'm gonna email you my resume in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 6: I gotta give him my danger I didn't need. This is like twice in a day, Brian, take it over to share it a auto tech.
Speaker 7: How long does it take to clean those throttle bodies?
Speaker 26: We need a couple of two three hours typically.
Speaker 7: Okay, Brian, there you go.
Speaker 6: Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Okay, Rod.
Speaker 7: Somebody wants to know. Do you ever get any.
Speaker 6: Priuses in on the lot at JFR Cars?
Speaker 23: We do receive a few priuses over the years, but if you don't, we can always find you one. That's the nice thing about being a broker. If we don't have it, we will source that and bring it into our shot. Just give us a uh, just give me an ideal which year you're looking for.
Speaker 6: Somebody says every time they see somebody said every time they see him on a lot, they're sold within a couple of days.
Speaker 7: Are they good sellers?
Speaker 8: They are very good sellers.
Speaker 6: Okay, We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Three O three seven one three A two five five go with a sure thing. Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a.
Speaker 6: Cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. Comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two d.
Speaker 3: Need advice so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help come Man.
Speaker 4: Dix is the Troubleshooter show. No Tom Martine, Hey.
Speaker 7: I'm Tom Martino.
Speaker 6: You're a troubleshooter three all three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. This hoar brought to you by Wave eight Wealth Management. That's my company. I started because I was frustrated with the industry. Keep in mind, we're one of the only ones in the entire industry that truly customize and do portfolios directly for individuals directly. And uh, my money's invested right along with yours. And I say some of the few, some very very very very high net individuals probably have advisors who do this, but most everyone else does not, except us. So give us a call three oll three seven and one help seven seven one four three five seven even for a free complimentary review.
Speaker 7: No high pressure ever three oh three seven seven to one help.
Speaker 6: Wave eight the number eight wave Eightcapital dot com. I have Rodgreer with us from jfrcars dot com.
Speaker 7: Also Bob Perry. He's the leasing expert over there.
Speaker 6: And as I said, leasing has become more attractive these days as cars get more expensive. If you look at it as eating an apple, if you're only going to eat half the apple, why pay for all of it? You pay for the half you're going to eat, and then you turn it back in or buy it if you want. If that half an apple turns out to be valuable, buy it back and then sell.
Speaker 7: It or keep it or whatever if you again.
Speaker 6: I think ideally, in my mind, a lease candidate is someone who will keep the term, the terms and conditions.
Speaker 7: What Bob do lease?
Speaker 5: Oh we might have just lost the love.
Speaker 6: Oh say it again? Time we lost you for a second? Lost who you? I'm sorry, I'm asking, I'm asking of the less ores, Like there's big lessors, big lenders that do leases. They buy the cars and least them to you. What how do they come up with residual values? And can we take Is there a place we can look? Oh, you've dropped again?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's dropping in and out. That's kind of crazy. I'm not even sure where he's going with that.
Speaker 8: I can already answer it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So let me ask you something though, JFI we can you.
Speaker 7: Hear me now? Mark?
Speaker 18: Yeah? Mark?
Speaker 7: Can you hear me now?
Speaker 5: Go ahead?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm sorry about I'm sorry about that. If I'm dropping in and out? Is there a place you can go and see what residual values are on different brands?
Speaker 11: Not really so residuals. They try and to determine those based on the past. So they take like a say, a three year old Toyota Highlander and see what it's selling for wholesale compared to what it was when it was new, and let's just say it's fifty percent. So then they give a new Highlander fifty percent residual. And when there's cars that there is no pass sometimes the residuals can be extremely low, or they don't lease them till they have some history.
Speaker 6: But if I is there any place but there's no place online that would give me like Mercedes Benz And then the percentage of residual from the MSRP.
Speaker 11: I mean not that I know of, because you know, there's different lenders, so different lenders will have different residuals. So Mercedes Benz Credit could have a higher residual because it's their product, and where a bank or a credit union may be a little bit more conservative because they're not as familiar with Mercedes Benz values. But so you could have, you know, the same car and go to three different lenders, have three different payments.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Plus in the scenario just gave, if Mercedes is getting that vehicle back, they're going to certify it is used things other dealers can't do, so the vehicle truly is worth more to them it would be somebody else.
Speaker 23: And that would also determine whether or not Okay, we would just ask my I was gonna say, that would determine whether or not delay, But go ahead, Tom.
Speaker 6: I was told that that you can go on and find out residual values on some websites, but you but as as Perry Bob Perry said, it has to be each lesser publishes their own correct.
Speaker 7: Does that make sense?
Speaker 6: So, like I'm looking at JD powers they issue, Now where do they get their information? They give residual values, and so do other companies.
Speaker 7: Where do they do that? How do they do that?
Speaker 6: I mean they're using their own history. They just they know what they're going to pay out like g right, that's right. So does GE give residual values?
Speaker 2: They?
Speaker 8: Well, they when they used to lease, they did. I don't know that they do any more. Leasing on vehicles.
Speaker 6: Okay, find out the future price of your car.
Speaker 7: And this is on goodcr dot.
Speaker 6: Com, good car dot com, which is weird. I mean, and all you do is enter a ven number and they do a least calculator on a ven number.
Speaker 5: Isn't that weird?
Speaker 7: Car dot com? See what you think about that one.
Speaker 6: I'll take a look at it. I've never heard of them, but yeah, me too. Maybe they maybe they aggregate the inform. See here's why I'm saying this. Here's why I'm saying this, Bobby. If I want to lease a car and I want to get the lowest payment, I would then want to find a car that has a good price versus the percentage of MSRP lessor is willing to pay. Like I was told, one of the highest residual values you can find in a car would be forty five percent of MSRP. Is that true or does it go higher than that?
Speaker 11: Well, it'll go higher than that. And you know, the lowest payment isn't always.
Speaker 8: The best lease, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 11: There's some lenders that will give a car an exceptionally high residual value, but they'll also have a high money factor to give you a low payment. And then what they do is they take that extra money that they've charged in their lease charge and put that aside to cover their you know, the excessive residual if they get the car back, so they bank that extra money and then hope that it gets totaled or you end up buying it. But they'll have the lowest payment, but it's not the best lease.
Speaker 9: Well not only that, the payment can be low, but I'm just looking at a car here, So it's two hundred and nine bucks a month for thirty six months, but it's also almost four grand due it's signing, So I mean, what's the difference. I mean, you're paying that down payments a lot of it, right, is the zero down on a lease.
Speaker 11: Now a true an actual release. All they require down is your first month's payment. If there's any rebates or anything, you pay sales tax at least in Colorado, or you pay sales tax on that rebate.
Speaker 8: That's all that's required.
Speaker 2: So the.
Speaker 8: Signing, because that's how they got to that payment.
Speaker 7: But listen to this, guys, listen to this. Listen.
Speaker 6: I went to Edmunds dot com. They have a lease calculator. You put in the make the model the year, and it tells you what the MSRP is, what the average selling price is, and then it tells you the selling Then it tells you, based on ten than twelve thousand or fifteen thousand miles, what your payment will be.
Speaker 7: So that's pretty amazing to me. Isn't that amazing to you?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 6: I mean, it gives you the payment right away, you know, assuming that and on this one for example, well, okay, I'm gonna give you an example, Okay, but no, it just says least calculator from Industry Resources. It says a Mercedes been let's say, twenty twenty five g wagon. Okay, it tells you that they'll pay you at the end of the lease. How much they'll pay you. They'll pay you fifty percent of MSRP fifty percent, and the your payment on that would be my god, it would be thirty eight.
Speaker 7: Hundred dollars or almost thirty nine.
Speaker 6: No, no, oh, it's more than that, plus taxes and fees. Your payment on that would be forty four hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 7: You would have to be insane to do that, so forty four a month.
Speaker 11: If you have all the information, so you know what the cost or the cap cost of the car is, you know the residual value, you know money factor. I mean, I've got a nap on my phone. If I just put the right information in, it'll give me a lease payment. But that doesn't mean you know that that everybody will honor those numbers. That's through a certain lender that will do no.
Speaker 7: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 6: Lease lessors they have the right to do whatever terms and conditions they want. If they say, no, we're not paying you fifty percent on that, then they could alter it right or something, say I'm going to pay you more than fifty percent. Sure the loads you have risk on? My question to you, do you go to a number of Let do you go to a number of sources or do you just have one you go with?
Speaker 11: No, No, We've got a number, including the manufacturers. So if there's a you know, a factory backed lease where they have some incentives, we can use that. And we've got you know, independent banks and credit unions and you know that we can compare them to.
Speaker 6: All right, So we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. We're talking cars and anything else you want to talk about.
Speaker 7: Stick around.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your Troubleshooter three oh three seven, one, three, eight, five five. Okay, somebody wants to know by text how does customizing a vehicle affect a lease such as oversized tires, lift kits, tinted windows, and all of the other stuff. When you lease a car and you put on aftermarket parts, what happens? Are you allowed to do that? To begin with, Bob.
Speaker 11: You are so you can either you know, put new parts on and keep the old parts and turn it back in with the old parts. Or if what you put on there devalues the car and makes it worth less, they may charge you as they would excessive wear and tear. In other words, if you've cut holes in it or done something that devalues the car, then they could charge you for it. But you can do whatever you want to with it as long as you don't hurt the value.
Speaker 6: It all comes down to the value. What's excessive wear? Can give me an example of excessive wear like seats or interior.
Speaker 11: So depending on the lender, some of them'll give you some guidelines, like they'll give you something that's the size of a credit card and they'll say, if you can cover up any you know, like scratches, dents, dings with this card, they're not going to charge you. Some of them will wave the first thousand dollars. Some of them will charge you for everything. And so all lenders will give you the opportunity to have an inspection before you turn the car in. So if you get a bunch of charges, you can fix that or take care of it before you turn it in because you can usually get it fixed for less than what they're going.
Speaker 8: To charge you.
Speaker 9: It almost sounds like a like running an apartment. I mean, you know, wear and tear on the carpet's one thing, but having a hole in the walls are different.
Speaker 11: Exactly, you know, because they're just trying to get to the value they guessed three years ago based on you holding up your end of the bargain. You didn't drive extra miles and you didn't beat the car up. So you know, big dents, scratches, ball tires, cracked windshields. They're going to charge for all that because it devalues the car. If you own that car, it makes that car worthless. Even if if you own it and want to trade in there you go, you need tires, You got to correct windshields, so the car's work less.
Speaker 5: If someone wanted to lease the car.
Speaker 9: Let's say they want to buy a new Honda, or they want to buy a new Toyota or a new Honda, or a new Ford, a new Chevy, new stuff. I know you guys jfar can go out there and get them the best price because you go to all the different dealerships you have relationships with and just try to get them the best price.
Speaker 5: Simple as that.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 9: But if they want to lease it, how do you guys come in there? In other words, if they want to lease a new Ford, do you still go through Ford?
Speaker 5: If they have all the incentives?
Speaker 8: If they do, yes, absolutely, so you.
Speaker 9: Do all that legwork you they'll get the same deal on the lease. It's not a better deal because maybe a credit union has something better.
Speaker 8: Correct, go and direct correct.
Speaker 11: And so any incentives that are on new cars get passed to the end client.
Speaker 8: So whatever they are, if it's.
Speaker 11: At it's the same, correct, but a lot less hassle and a lot.
Speaker 9: Less hassle because you're doing it but the other and plus you're going to warn them about hey, that's only ten to a miles a year or whatever.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 9: I mean, they'll get all the good info, but do you have other avenues like if four doesn't have any big promotions going on, but of course they always do.
Speaker 5: Leasing on new vehicles. Can you sometimes get a better lease price?
Speaker 8: Absolutely all the time?
Speaker 11: Yes, I mean I love if they happen to be the best, but sometimes their best lease might not be the best for you. But you go into the idea you're going to give it back to them because it's not a good lease, but the payment works and the vehicle works.
Speaker 8: So sometimes that's the advice we'll give.
Speaker 6: What do you guys sell the most of now? Just out of curiosity new vehicles?
Speaker 9: I know you guys got a bunch you used in trade ins, But when people call you up saying I'm looking for a new what's the number one?
Speaker 8: I still think it's probably Toyota.
Speaker 23: And the reason why I'm a little bit hesitant by giving a hard number is because we got about sixty guys over there, so what we're doing and what someone else is doing that. But for the most part, I'm gonna say, Toyota.
Speaker 9: Tom, are you gonna end up getting that? What are you going to end up buying? I know you're kind well your semi in the market. I I you know.
Speaker 6: There's no reason I guess to do what I'm doing. I mean, because my car is in perfect condition with thirty thousand miles.
Speaker 7: But I like changing out cars. I mean, I'm going to admit it.
Speaker 6: I don't change them out just when they're Yeah, I don't know, I just like doing it.
Speaker 7: I really like having fun with cars. You're kind of guy.
Speaker 5: Now, I like being double Now I want a lot. Man should at least it.
Speaker 6: Well, it went from one hundred and twelve thousand to fifty eight.
Speaker 8: And do that math and by the number of months you had it.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, actually that's the This could be a good lesson right here during the break, kind of give them an idea of what that lease would have been, you know the p it's a twenty twenty two, right Tom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, twenty twenty two BMWX seven M fifty I so do.
Speaker 9: And if it was going to be a lease, let's see what he would have paid over this.
Speaker 5: Amount of time and see if you were truly let's see if he would have saved money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's do that, but but hold on, so do it as if I was leasing it new in twenty twenty two, and how much was it?
Speaker 7: And it was the twelve.
Speaker 6: It was one twelve, but I don't know if that was MSRP. You know, I don't know what MSRP was at the time. I forget, but it was one twelve. I bought it in twenty twenty two, in about March or April.
Speaker 8: Anyway.
Speaker 6: Now come twenty twenty five, I'm being told it's worth fifty eight, top dollar fifty eight. That's on a trade, by the way.
Speaker 7: So okay, so let's see what a release.
Speaker 6: So so basically, if you take the one twelve I paid, and you subtract, you know, you subtract the money that it's worth. Right now, I spent a lot of money on this car.
Speaker 11: So that's you know, appreciation, that's what Lisa's figure, you're depreciating I spent.
Speaker 6: Okay, I spent fifty four grand on this car technically, because it's fifty four grand less than I bought it fifty four and the use of the twenty so the money three twenty four to twenty five, and that's divided by three years. So that car costs me eighteen grand a year. I can't see a lease being that much.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean it shouldn't be, you know, we do comparisons to leasing versus buying.
Speaker 7: By the way.
Speaker 6: By the way, Bob, if you want to be accurate, it was only ten thousand miles a year that you've pay one thousand miles a year. So yeah, so let's do that and figure it out. I'm Tom Martinez. Oh no, we don't have to take a break just yet. But that's what I want to do. I want to compare apples with apples in real life because people want real life, they really do. And speaking of real life, Mark, we're talking about tax credits. Buying tax credits from people who have solar systems that can't use them. You can negotiate, you can negotiate a deal, but on a particular deal.
Speaker 7: Let's say if you pay full retail.
Speaker 6: When I say full retail, you buy like one hundred and fifty thousand in credits for like one hundred and five thousand, You go back three years, recover that one hundred and fifty the government sends you a check for forty five grand. It's that easy. There's it's that easy for so anybody. Here's what I say.
Speaker 9: So you're gonna have your account and go back and modify the last two years.
Speaker 5: Basically and use those tax credits.
Speaker 6: Well, technically I could probably go back one year and do it.
Speaker 9: So, but yeah, say regardless, I never looked at it that way. But so there's no even I don't know. Let's take I was gonna say Steve Jobs, but that's not gonna work. Let's take Elon Musk and he's got a million dollars of taxes that he owes. So basically, you're saying you could use if you had a million dollars in credits, you could offset it in one year if you had that kind of burden.
Speaker 5: I mean, just like that. There's no limit of how many per year.
Speaker 6: No, only up to what you owe. That's the only thing you can that's the only limits.
Speaker 5: So do the rest go back over to the following years.
Speaker 7: Yes, so you can go back three years. So basically you can do the third.
Speaker 5: You're gonna save thirty percent on your taxes.
Speaker 6: I mean that's the bottom line, literally literally third. So I go back three years and each year I file, I get that whatever. I don't have to go back three but you can go back three years. You can go forward twenty years. You can buy I'm buying. I'm buying as many as I can possibly get as many as I possibly know why everybody.
Speaker 5: And wouldn't do that? And then the good news for the what I.
Speaker 6: Said, I told when I talked to Brook at Red Rocks, I said, why isn't everyone doing this? For God's sakes? Why isn't everyone doing it?
Speaker 5: I don't know, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 7: It's the most it's the most easy brain.
Speaker 9: I mean, I can't think of a reason why you go through the brain surgery on the first round. And if everything is what you're saying, there is no way I'm not doing it every year.
Speaker 5: I guess part of it is binding the tax credits.
Speaker 6: That's right, and that's where you have to have a reputable solar company who has customers who want to sell them.
Speaker 7: Look at it.
Speaker 6: I'm not trying I don't want to build a market for this. I'm not trying to advertise this because I want to do it and I don't want people acing me out.
Speaker 7: I don't want it turning into a bidding war.
Speaker 6: I listen, she promised me right now I could buy everything she has, and I'm.
Speaker 7: Going to buy them. I mean, why wouldn't you? This is a hidden gem.
Speaker 6: This is like buying This is like the same no risk thing is buying tax certificates on land and houses and properties. If I buy a tax certificate, I will be guaranteed of the default interest or well no matter, or I get the land for the price of taxes.
Speaker 7: Buying tax certificates.
Speaker 6: Here's where people get in trouble buying tax certificates. They go to an auction and they pay premiums for them. So instead of paying just the taxes do, they end up paying a percentage above that. And then you have idiots who think, oh, I'm going to get a tax certificate. And when you have an idiot, whenever there are idiots and auctions, it's a bad auction. You want smart bidders. Idiots overpay for everything. So they go to a tax auction. Let's say where they're four grand ode on taxes. If you buy that for four grand, you're guaranteed interest on that four grand, and I think now it's nine or ten percent, or you get the property for ten grand. But you get an idiot in there that you bid ten grand. They bid ten grand with one thousand dollars premium, and then somebody else bids ten grand with a two thousand dollars premium and then ten grand with a fourteen All of a sudden, the interest you're making on the ten grand because you don't make interest on the premium, so you make interest on the ten grand. You don't even make enough interest to pay for the premium. That's what you call an idiot when they So, you never want to be in an auction with an idiot. You want someone who understands financing. What were you going to say, d Hey, there's one risk. This is in the context of the solar tax credits. No repine, there is one risk that surround of you have discussed yet is but it is moderated by the fact that you're working with Brooke from REGA.
Speaker 7: What is the risk?
Speaker 16: Okay, they're rescindable. So the system for which the tax credit was issued must be an operation for a certain number of years following the issuance of this tax credit.
Speaker 8: Or it will be rescinded.
Speaker 7: Tell me what you.
Speaker 5: Mean by that.
Speaker 16: Well, so you build this solar system, get your tax credit, and then the system goes offline. You either scrap it or it doesn't work, or it's destroyed by hail and you never fix it.
Speaker 6: Does does it Okay, I never even thought of how long does the IRSA? It must be an operation for years. Let's ask a book about that. Yeah, that is, let's get her on the phone. That's a good point.
Speaker 7: I thought it was only you.
Speaker 6: All you need is an activation and then you're locked in.
Speaker 9: Maybe now, Demetrius, maybe the tax credit's Brooks selling have already been in operation for whatever three years.
Speaker 7: No, No, I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's not I can tell you that for sure, Mark, they're brand new systems with an activation date. They're brand new systems. But it is a good question. What happens if the solar system or they sell that house and they wreck this, you know whatever. We'll say the solar system goes down after a year or two of three?
Speaker 7: Does that mean you.
Speaker 6: Have to give that that the people are responsible for that tax credit? And can you put in the sale that if they do anything to kill their system, they have to pay the burden.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Let's let's find out about it.
Speaker 6: Three oh three seven one three talks seven one three A two five five Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance.
Speaker 7: Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 6: Hi Tom Rchino, you're a troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Peter, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 8: Peter?
Speaker 13: Hey Tom, I just have a shout out for local business and a couple other comments too.
Speaker 7: Sure, go ahead, all right.
Speaker 13: So for my shout out, that would be for Mercedes Benz of Denver. We bought a new car last year and then had a mechanical issue with it. And yeah, they gave us a loaner to use for about six months, and then they were unable to fix the problem with the car. So they they actually said go ahead and pick out a new car and we'll make it right. And they were. They allowed us to do a few upgrades that we wouldn't have done otherwise, and they they ate the difference.
Speaker 7: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Isn't that sonic? A sonic dealership that I don't know?
Speaker 27: I don't.
Speaker 6: I'm glad he's Is it on Colorado Boulevard? Is it the Mercedes of downtown Denver?
Speaker 7: Could be so.
Speaker 9: Mad at Mercedes, not not necessarily the dealer. The dealer sounded great. But you buy a brand new Mercedes and you want to drive it. You picked it out, but you can't drive it because they can't fix it for six months.
Speaker 5: That sounds horrible.
Speaker 7: What was the issue? What was the issue?
Speaker 18: Peter?
Speaker 13: We had a loaner that whole time, though, and so that's cool.
Speaker 6: I understand that. But Peter, what is the issue? What was the issue with your the one you bought?
Speaker 13: Yeah? The problem we had is my wife was driving it and it wouldn't accelerate on the highway, and then they continued to test it and were able to kind of duplicate it, but they didn't know why it did that.
Speaker 5: That's weird.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: Lemon law would have kicked in instantly. Yeah, yeah, but they took care of us, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 13: I mean the time that they had it, we were looking at, you know, potentially going that route through an attorney and.
Speaker 9: And guys, understand what I said, the dealership sounds like they stepped up and did great. I just can't imagine buying a new any brand and it because you know, at that point they probably flew in an engineer from Mercedes to look at it. I mean, when they have a vehicle six months someone from the manufacturers showing up, right, guys, and they still couldn't fix it. That's just crazy to me.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they had no clue why you know what she was with it. And then for my other comments, if I can move on from that too, tom Us talked about the lady with the golf course property where they had offered her a million dollars and she was I think ninety two. That's why I apologized that this is already brought up. But because of the capital gains taxes that she would have had on that she would have been approximately seven hundred thousand dollars worth of capital gains taxes that she would have been subject to on that end.
Speaker 6: Well whoa wait, wait, you're right, you go, Well, she would have been able to shelter only two hundred and fifty grand. She bought it for like next to nothing, like seventy something thousand, so or no, no, no, it was like thirty something thousand. She was selling it for how many million do they said? I say two million? Or one million?
Speaker 13: It was said one but yeah, okay, if it.
Speaker 6: Was one million, she she basically would would shelter two hundred and fifty thousand and have about seven hundred and fifty And you're right, seven hundred and fifty subject to tax.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And so you know, taking out a reverse mortgage would have been a good option for her a lot of things because when she sort of passed away to be able to pass that on to her air to then get the stepped up value, then they would be able to.
Speaker 6: What a good idea, what a great idea?
Speaker 13: So yeah, so she made the right choice by not taking that money now, and then.
Speaker 7: You're right, her heirs, her airrs could do it.
Speaker 6: Her airs could do it, You're right, and they would have the stepped up bases not pay as much in taxes and that if she has kids, that would be great.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure she does, but that is a good point.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: Now, when we come back, we're going to answer that. Thank you when we come back.
Speaker 5: One thing, are you look.
Speaker 7: Pete, I don't. I got to take a break. It doesn't matter if he does or not.
Speaker 6: Okay, listen, when we come back, Brook from Red Rocks roof and Solar, we'll talk about how long does the solar system have to remain in.
Speaker 7: Effect for that credit to be good?
Speaker 6: Deputy d said, if it goes out of commission in the future, you may have to pay that credit back.
Speaker 7: We'll talk about that and more coming up.
Speaker 6: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 7: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 6: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three oh three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three.
Speaker 7: Two five five, Brook White, we were talking.
Speaker 6: About buying tax credits where people have solar systems, can't use the credits, they don't spend enough in taxes or then't don't have enough taxes.
Speaker 7: So they sell their credits to get cash.
Speaker 6: You can buy them for a deal, And I said, what moron would not want.
Speaker 7: To buy tax credits. You can pay for taxes.
Speaker 6: And you get a thirty percent discount or more, and then and you use those credits to pay your taxes.
Speaker 7: And then Dimitri.
Speaker 6: Said he read where the risk is even if you have an activated system, the risk is if it goes offline for any reason, you have to pay those credits back.
Speaker 28: I mean, I'm not sure if there's a specific time link or something that he wants me to review where he found this information. Because warranty claims happen all the time on the equipment where the equipment, you know, might be down for a couple of weeks while an inverter get swapped out. But I've never once heard of anybody having to repay a tax credit because of a situation like that.
Speaker 6: Well how about a situation Well no, no, no, no, no no, no, we're not talking about We're not talking about a normal repair.
Speaker 7: What we're talking about is this. Let's say they get a tax credit, they have the system on their house.
Speaker 6: Let's say they have to move real quick because of something. The new owners don't want the system, or they don't activate it, or it's not running, or it goes out of order and it's not fixed, or as Mark said, they get so bold as they take the equipment off the roof and sell it. I'm just saying, is there anything in the law that says the system must be active for a certain number of years after receiving a tax credit.
Speaker 28: Yeah, I've never seen any documentation that's like that. The only documentation that I know of is if you build a solar field, you have a priceis per agreement with the utility company, so you are required to send them so much power from the solar field that they're buying it for. So that's a contract that you could get in trouble for. But for a normal house, I've never seen that, because if your house isn't producing, the utility company's just going to charge you what what you use for power anyways, so they actually make more money by you not getting your system activated.
Speaker 9: So it's your funmitre though running Demitri you're reading this from the IRS, right where are you reading this info?
Speaker 16: So I did some research show on this last night, and I can't remember what my sources, but I'm going to come up with it again and I'll forward it to Brook to see if I was.
Speaker 6: There is no federal mandate on the duration the system operation must take post installation.
Speaker 7: They concentrate on the first year only.
Speaker 6: It's important to note that if the system is taken out of service shortly after installation, it may raise questions with the IRS in an audit. Therefore, maintaining the system's operation to ensure compliance during the first year will avoid any issues there is. This is now I'm going by Chat GPT. This is not Tom Martine. I'm not getting in a sword fight here. All I'm saying is is that the according to Chat GPT, there is no mandate time the system must be up and running.
Speaker 5: And even if they did audit it.
Speaker 7: But hold on, but even Chat has been wrong before.
Speaker 9: Even if they did audit it the IRS, I would still have the assumption they're not going to go after the person that bought the tax credits. They're going to go after the person that initially got them.
Speaker 6: You're you're absolutely right, that's absolutely positively right.
Speaker 28: And then to make yourself covered in the contract where you purchase the tax credits, you should just put in there that I'm in order for this to work, the owner of the system has to make sure that the system is activated and up and running for three years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you would have no recourse Brooke the problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hold on, you would have recourse on it because these people Brook nowhere.
Speaker 7: Look at tox credits, this chat.
Speaker 6: This chat is citing all kinds of sources where the federal government does not mandate a specific amount of time. But we'll research it to see if it's accurate. We got We're out of time. Save all your problems for me.