Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me now with Swan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Happy Monday to everyone out there. Here's truly mister Glee two shoes on a Monday. Back after load management.
Speaker 4: Load manager. You guys have it bad, you generation? What can I say? I'm I'm gonna take advantage of the away with murder. You've heard that before. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Starting Breaking News off with something that came across ESPN just about twenty minutes ago. Uh, the f guy is warning sports leagues about crime organizations targeting professional athletes following a string of home burglaries across the NFL and NBA, notably Luka Dancic. The latest, uh from the Dallas Mavericks being his home was broken into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's been a few of them, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they listen here, Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Travis Kelsey, Bobby Portis, and even Mike con I mean those last two they're not even high profile names necessarily, and their homes are being burglarized.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it's mostly for the.
Speaker 3: Most part, when those teams are on the road, those houses are being broken into.
Speaker 2: No, I can imagine how scary that is. And concerning Yeah, well.
Speaker 3: They're saying, these are very skilled people. It's probably a crime, a crime syndicate or whatever. Yeah, some some sort of big operation going on. Uh sorry, they got me. Uh so we got to catch up. We missed a week of We did start with some Arizona athletics. Mammy, he have converted Arizona. Former Arizona forward Keisha Johnson to a two year contract.
Speaker 2: Good for him, Yeah, good for him. Exciting player, He obviously very talented. We'll see what comes in. What's pally? Is he still in the rost? Yeah, I believe so. I haven't said that.
Speaker 3: There's nothing that's been he's off or anything, but they add Keisha Johnson to a possible playoff runt for them. Some Arizona football news involving the transfer portal x Utah running back Mike Mitchell committed to the Wildcats along with former Wisconsin quarterback Brandon Locke. You have a former Montana edge, Riley Wilson. I think it is probably one of the biggest gets for the Wildcats in this transfer portal. He's getting he's getting rave reviews. I meant reviews that you wouldn't think that he'd be getting.
Speaker 4: Especially considering Division two. Right, No, I'm talking about the class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, I mean they're they're twenty third right now in the transfer portal rankings overall right, yeah, all transfer portal. I don't know where they are just overall recruiting wise, but transfer portal wise their number twenty three, which isn't that bad consider no, considering the situation.
Speaker 4: The way you put it, it is like you go to restaurants, was it any good? Well, it wasn't bad. It was it wasn't bad. It was just kind of it was food. It was food. It was food. We finished. It was good food that bade the bill. You want to call it that.
Speaker 3: Uh So one of the losses for the Wildcats, cornerback Marquees Grows Killer Brew entered the portal, but at the same time they got their defense, one of their defensive captain's back trade and Stokes coming back to Arizona for a sixth season.
Speaker 4: That's a good sign. That's a good sign.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I've been critical to a degree of you know, so many people leaving and to me there was a disconnect. But some of the people are coming back, which means that which is a good thing. Something's there, Yeah, some something there.
Speaker 3: They see something that maybe this and that that there's potential behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Got because Genesis Smith came back, if Dalton Johnson came back.
Speaker 4: Right, No, and some key guys. Right. So so in your in your world.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've noticed this yet because you your career really hasn't started. But the one thing I've learned, or among many, uh, there's always stories behind the story, right, There's always more to the story.
Speaker 3: And you mean just being the passionate fan I was, there was always more to h I mean even even even outside of Arizona. You know, you have uh Indiana who didn't play Umar Bollo I think yesterday, right, and you saw the stories and other situations and just did you you.
Speaker 4: Know, but you don't know do you have this do you have uh? Do you have the story story with that? Because I saw the story.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I saw on Facebook or on Twitter, which is true.
Speaker 3: So I never I never saw something from a source that I necessarily trusted. But there is a picture I saw that of Umarballo out there. I don't know when it was taken. I didn't see anything, and you don't have to just saying like, yes, this is exactly what happened. It was just a picture of him.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we'll go listen. I'll address that because I just google this, So go ahead and continue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, I mean the Arizona Athletics continuing women's basketball started their Big Twelve schedule believe last Saturday. They played BYU, close win, starting off good in the Big twelve conference so far.
Speaker 4: They played Utah tomorrow, December.
Speaker 3: Thirtieth, at noon, so one last chance for the Wildcat win in twenty twenty four, but another opportunity to comes tonight when the men's team plays TCU at six o'clock, their first Big twelve game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just to give an update, Ballo didn't play yesterday. I think it was yesterday. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There have been some rumors that he was.
Speaker 2: Out the night before or whatever and whatever, and that he had been injured either or right, either or so. I just googled the story from the Indianapolis Star and the coach Coach Woodson, this was his quote. I'm not going to address that, but I didn't have a lot of time lead time, but that doesn't matter. And you guys know, uh that they're in you know, they have got to play and he didn't play tonight, and you know we'll sit down tomorrow and address his situation and get ready for Rutgers.
Speaker 4: Which needs me to believe there's something.
Speaker 2: Something more to the story, right, Yeah, so you know, uh, and people here are saying, well, they should have Ballow here, you know the he I don't know if that I would have solved the problems here.
Speaker 3: You still you still need Caleb Love to shoot better, need from kJ Lewis, even Carter Bryant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious when you did your story on Caleb, did you quote anybody?
Speaker 4: Because I asked him. I asked him twice.
Speaker 3: I believe I quoted Tommy because I asked him from the from the transcripts, Yeah, from the I can't think of the name, the press conference, Yeah, because I asked him.
Speaker 4: My sister, is that's this?
Speaker 2: Because I've asked the question you were with me a few times as as he goes, the team goes, and he said kind of maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the whole I use just regarding the tension that love does get regardless of if he's playing well or not. He has a lot of he has a lot of gravity, He has a lot of eyes on him, a lot of eyes, a lot of things go towards him, so he can create he needs to create space for other sure.
Speaker 2: So that was neither yes or no because I asked that question, and I asked that to a few people and they said some said yes, some says no.
Speaker 4: He said nothing, Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, And I think that's how not saying this is good or bad.
Speaker 3: This is just how Tommy does answer most questions, right.
Speaker 4: He theres a lot out there for interpretation. Correct. He answers the question without answering the question. Yeah. I think that's what most coaches do for the short part.
Speaker 3: You have your exceptions like Mike Cronin who gives us a straightforward answers most of the time, or it doesn't give you answers at all. So it's just that's the way those those coaches operate in the college.
Speaker 4: They need their job.
Speaker 3: So to the NBA some injury updates and here and there, Hawks forward Larry Nancy Junior will undergo surgery for a broken bone in his right hand. His time for a return is unavailable right now. They're steering to evaluate after the procedure on his hand. Ah So, and then Tyler Hero and man Thoms Thompson, they're both ejected in the final minutes of the.
Speaker 4: Heat and Rockets game. That was a fight. It was a fight for him in society. A fight. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thompson threw down Hero after Hero was not pleased with the way he was being guarded. Teams got into it, coaches got into I think I saw some some fans throw some stuff onto the court. A little bit of an ugly scene, but not not too ugly.
Speaker 4: Did you see the screen with Arkansas the number fifty five? I did not.
Speaker 2: He stepped If you google it, it's a big dude, a big alignment.
Speaker 4: I think it was stepped on.
Speaker 2: The player of the Texas Tech stepped on his foot like you know, like like severe that the purposely stomped on it and is like holy crap. Now, now everybody's on you know, Facebook or Twitter or whatever social saying that that dude should never play again.
Speaker 4: If you google it real quick, you'll.
Speaker 2: See it very deliberate, very and I tried to see yesterday what was going to come of it, and nothing as of yesterday.
Speaker 3: Because that was He did issue an apology after the video went viral. Just the defensive back accused him of dirty but it was pretty severe. Yeah, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Yeah, I think there's a little bit. There's stuff that that I'm just I'm watching it now. Wow, I'm surprised that it's still there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I think there's stuff that always goes on but the camera doesn't catch it. Just happened to catch it this time. Not saying that it's it's just a FIA ball or anything, but.
Speaker 4: So what do you say? He just said, sorry, Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, regrets of stuff like that won't it won't happen again.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 2: I hadn't seen something like that, well, outside of a Christian lightner stomping on a chest or or or we had we had Chase Buttinger, who the guy stepped on his face.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You don't see that very often. If at all I actually saw. I think I might have been this year. Last year, there was a I think in one of the Bowl games, one of the smaller tier Bowl games, defensive lineman goes down to the ground after a play and the opposing player just stomps on his helmet repeatedly.
Speaker 4: I don't remember anything happening from that, but his head was still in the helmet. Yeah, okay, well, good thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he was having some neck issues with the when medical came, but he was I think he was able to walk off in his own power.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I haven't.
Speaker 3: I never heard anything from it, so I'm guessing called as well. In the end, So the Lakers traded D'Angelo Russell to the Nets in a four player deal. The some of the notable players that the Lakers do get are during Finney Smith, who was on that h some of those runs with the with the Mavericks with Luca and Shane Milton.
Speaker 4: But one of the.
Speaker 3: Key pieces, if you want to call it that for the Lakers being sent away.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Russell, yeah, yeah, just to string because he kept them in games and it was a key factor. No, I let me ask you, because we talked about the NBA. What do you think the deal is that people are watching? Let me tell you, I'm not one of those guys because they can't sell me on it anyway, so I don't watch anyway.
Speaker 3: So what do you think they're going? I think it's a little bit of a repetitive. Most teams play alike. There's there's not Most teams are offensively focused first to get to one hundred usually, So it's boring a little.
Speaker 4: Bit unless you unless you have a team like I do. I watched Spurs and how often do you watch them as of lately?
Speaker 3: I've been watching them pretty often. Yeah, they're gonna be pretty good. I think they are. They had a close lost to Minnesota last night. They had a close loss Christmas Day to the Knicks. If they made a couple more plays there, they're probably one more young player away.
Speaker 4: See what they can do in the draft.
Speaker 2: I wonder if if a lot of them aren't watching because the names aren't recognizable much not.
Speaker 4: Right now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The names you have, the classic names like Lebron James, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant Ye, they're just being in the transition period.
Speaker 4: Right now they are being phased out.
Speaker 3: Yes they're still playing, they're still playing at a high level, but their time is soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But even the college at the college level, you you know college.
Speaker 4: One of the things about especial about college.
Speaker 2: You're cheer for the team, right, You're chruer for the school, and they happen to have some pretty good players.
Speaker 4: But some of the players aren't.
Speaker 2: Making the NBA and those names aren't recognizable, and the Euros are coming in and who's that dude?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Even some of some of the guys you see plays as where did he play? Oh, I must have not never saw him player. We'll see, we'll see what happens. So just gonna got a couple of minutes here on ros try to speed through what I have. The Christmas Day games, those were pretty good. Timberwolves beat the Mavericks at in Dallas seventy six, Yers beat the Celtics in Boston. Lakers beat the Warriors and at Golden State that was that was a really good game. And then the Suns beat the Nuggets, and I think it's surprise when they didn't play booker. They go and beat the Nuggets after getting demolished by them like two days earlier.
Speaker 4: So Sons are on a right track.
Speaker 3: If you want to say that Yukon's women's basketball coach, you know Arima tied Tara Vanderveer's record for most appearances with one school in the AP Top twenty five x FS. Ex Florida State players are suing the head basketball which Leonard Hamilton, over failed and il payments. They were gonna they were supposed to boycott a game on February seventh, seventeenth against Duke. They didn't because they were promised. Nothing came from it. What was that February seventeenth of last year, last year, last last season.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 3: Unfortunate news sports broadcaster Greg Gumbele did die of cancer at the age of seventy eight.
Speaker 4: Over the break.
Speaker 3: Jim Larrett, the MIMMI head coach for I can't say that last he did step down after fourteen seasons. Another one of those in another one can't not not that they can't hack it by there, they just don't want to deal with it. So the NFL Rex Ryan Ron Rivera expected to interview for the Jets head coach Rex Ryan and John Rivera.
Speaker 4: Or Ron Rivera.
Speaker 3: Some of the leading candidates, if you want to call him that.
Speaker 4: Good football.
Speaker 3: Over the weekend, the Bengals kept their playoff hopes live against the as well as the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 4: Had a good game.
Speaker 3: Sunday Night Football between the Falcons and the Commanders went into overtime.
Speaker 4: Commanders.
Speaker 3: One Monday Night Football, the Lions played the forty nine Ers. Probably would have been a key matchup early this season, but is not anymore with the Niners not being eligible. The trans Perfect Music City Bowl was being played while the show was going. I was up twenty four to ten. Missouri won twenty seven twenty four. Oh well, yeah, so they came back. Some of the notable bowl games, USC did beat Texas, A and M in the Las Vegas Bowl, BYU beat Colorado and the Alamo Bile. Iowa State came back to beat Miami in the Pop Tarts Bowl. And of course you have the first game of the quarterfinals for the college football playoffs, Penn State going to the more Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl, Texas plays ASU or Ohio State plays Oregon Notre Dame Georgia to be the nightcap.
Speaker 2: There we go, Let's go and talk to Kim Madre On the other side.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resource. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tuside. Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 4: So Fasco Yuki trye.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot Com, the Window Depot, then a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom. It was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 11: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot School. In a fall sport season or in full stride, time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve polos. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose from, don visit Creative Awards at Creative awards ez dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three O eight seven, arizon A b K Ninez two nine or two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix syncredit rates and available loan programs or subjct to change don't notice?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobby around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best.
Speaker 4: Of sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 11: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: On a road trip or just around town, driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score. You can borrow better with hearing it. For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 6: Gout bugs, termites, bees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pests Control is your complete Desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen. Finding want to take part in the show? Call up Steve now at five to two oh four one six seventy four forty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I'm the Buck here on Fox. I'm Steve Verre and Timidera. Are you on the phone? I'm here, Jim Kim, how are you? Congratulations on a great event?
Speaker 5: Oh thank you. We had such a great week. It's it's been wonderful to see how our communities come together for the Snoop Dogg. Arizona Bullet's in fantastic.
Speaker 2: So you and I talked, I don't know August or whatever it was in doing a preview for the BIS two sons, but did did the event because there was a lot of a lot of hype with it.
Speaker 4: Did it meet the hype?
Speaker 5: I think so. I mean, you tell me, Steve, I think it did. I mean, based off of the feedback I've had so far and the way you know, we've that it took off, you know, across the country as far as going viral and the audience people that actually came out to the game, it seemed like it was everything that we expected in more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, if you watch it on TV, he was very visible, not just a little a lot, and it was a game with Snoop because he was visible all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think that's you know, we kind of expected that would be the way it would go. After seeing the way he presented himself and interacted at the Olympics. He knew that he's going to be really visible and really interested and getting to know people and saying hello and taking pictures and being a part of the festivities.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, who better than him, right, obviously, a guy who knows how to do the marketing of himself and the game itself. Great weather, I mean, you could not have had it any better.
Speaker 5: With the weather, Oh my gosh, the weather was was incredible. It was such a beautiful day, the perfect day for football. If only the game had been a little closer, I think that would have been the only thing I would have changed. But overall, it was a terrific success for everybody. And you know, just across the board, I've just been getting so much great feedback sure about it. People really enjoyed it, really thought it. You know, we've kind of taken this to the next level and had a really enjoyable time.
Speaker 2: So the funny thing is, as you talk about the game, you can't have everything, Kim. Every game you've had has been like over time or close or that's possession.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you can't have it all.
Speaker 5: I know. But you know, I had looked at both of these teams for a long time ahead of us picking them, and I just know that, you know, Colorado State, I think had some illness right before the game with some of their key players. They've lost some folks into the transfer portal. I think that really affected them. You know, I've known Jane Norvel for a while now, since he was here in twenty eighteen, and you know, he came up to me after the game. He's like, Oh, Kim, I'm just so sorry we didn't give you a better game, and he just felt terrible. I just I just think that, you know, it wasn't their day. I think kind of circumstances or what they were. But Miami came out and dominated that game. They were terrific. It was really fun to watch them be so successful.
Speaker 2: And the first time Jay was here a few years back with Nevada, it was very impressed. He's a very good coach, you can tell you is very thoughtful, very good. I'm not sure he'll be there very long because you know, I think someone's going to scoop him up.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You know, he's always sort of in those conversations as an up and comer, someone that's going to be taken up to, you know, a really good Division one, Power five, you know team. I think that he's very desirable. He's a great coach, he puts together great staff. The players really really like him, and you know, he's just he's a really nice guy all around. So I wish him all the success, but you know, I think it'd be at Colorado State for a while.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tell me what gim me and maybe your top two things that you really really liked or three if you want.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, we managed to get Snoop out to the Gin and Juice House for the tailgate, which was sort of a you know, lesson insecurity for me, but we got him out there safely, and then more importantly got him out of there safely and which was fun for all the folks out at the tailgate to get to see him, and he was interacting with the crowd, which is really fantastic. My second favorite part I just loved when you know, at halftime Snoop was leading the bands. Yeah, and you know those bands, you have to give them so much credit. We picked them on December eight, they got the music a week later, and then like ten days later they were here at the ball playing that medley together and had Stoop up there conducting them. So that was really fun. And then you know, we had this idea about Sneak driving and and Paula onto the field to the sands of the trophy presentation and to actually see that come to Fruition and see how excited people were to see him in that car, get the photos of the coach afterwards, it was really terrific.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 5: Those are just my favorite Snoop moments. There are terrific you know, football moments along the way too, and it was just a really, a really great event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was well, you're going to see photos from everybody in this town that you know, on either Facebook or Twitter or whatever, because everybody wanted to have a picture with him or of him, and he kind of put a signature on Tucson from a lot of different ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think so too. And you know, I had some I got to spend some you know, time one on one with Snoop, and he told me that he felt like this was home, like his home away from home. He loved the atmosphere, he loved the people, he loved are the way we embraced his youth football and special stars. He just really felt like this was such a great place to be and he told me he looks forward to coming back here a year after year. He's he really enjoyed himself. And that's you know, that's one of the great things. We wanted to be able to showcase our community, not only the Snoop but to the entire world. And you know, Snoop thought he he loved it. He loved the community, he loved what we brought out of our community and and he was really impressed.
Speaker 2: So I even saw a photo from him going to a Mexican restaurant Kathy Santa Rosa. Was he able to get out more and do some stuff like that, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't I didn't see that part. He was here for a short period of time. But he makes the I think he makes the most of every moment. So it wouldn't have surprised me if he did. And you know, you know, one of the other funny things, Steve that that I should have said is that as we were leaving, as we were leaving the tailgate, you know, Ali was driving the golf cart with Snoop in it, and and Snoop told him the scoot over, and he took he took charge of the golf cart. And as we were driving back to campus, you know, down Campbell up in you know, all the way back over to the stadium, Snoop was going, you know, going around tones. It was like he was a twelve year old kid. He was having so much fun, high five and people along the way. He really enjoyed himself. And it wouldn't it wouldn't surprise me if he made some extra trips around town.
Speaker 2: You know, well that I think your point of that is exactly what he did kind of in the Olympics where he was so visible and you know, who doesn't like him, right, because he's very likable. And that's what helped this game. You know, see forty thousand people or whatever the number was come in and see because they were a curious one and then likable too, yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: And they didn't you know, there was a lot of behind the scenes things that happened to like you know, I Snup went and visited surprised each team in their locker room. When they arrived, he was there waiting for them. They walked in and they got here coach Snoop give them a pep talk, you know, and take a photo of Snoop And he got to surprise both teams, which is really fantastic for the teams. And then of course Miami afterwards, you know, got the death row change that changed. That is a big deal for you know, a lot of folks. I mean, not a lot of people have those and so it was a really big deal and they enjoyed that. You know, he he really brought his own special touch to.
Speaker 2: The whole event, sure, and on TV as well, because he was able to get up there and be his be himself on TV and give some an hour and all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You know, I talked to my CW folks after the game and they said, oh, thank goodness we had Snoop. You know, our ratings just like climbed every time that he got onto the broadcast. Yeah, because you know, the game wasn't really that compelling after the second half, and so having Snoop up there, you know, having some really fun commentary and interacting with Tom Brenneman and the broadcasters really was a great boost for the CW ratings and a great boost to bring visibility to people to watch the game and see our great community.
Speaker 4: Right right.
Speaker 2: So, I know it's not a relaxing time for you, but it's like done, You're done. Do you have a chance to breathe? I know you can take a little while before you start the next one. But what's next for you guys?
Speaker 5: What's next for me is tomorrow. It's our taco about New Year's Eve downtown bull Back.
Speaker 2: I was going to talk to you about that, yeah, because you guys are connected to all that, so you don't have time to breathe.
Speaker 4: Maybe January second.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping January second will be the time that we can get them rest for a little while. But there's not much rest for us. We've got a lot of you know a lot of things to clean up and finalize and you know, figure out, you know, how much money we're going to be able to give to charities this spring, and so, you know, not too much rest for the weary. But we want everybody to come out and join us and celebrating, you know, the ringing in twenty twenty five. Here at midnight down at our you know, New Year's Eve, ta our tak about New Year's Eve, Downtown Bull Bash. You got fireworks, We've got our famous taco touchdown at midnight. We've got a great fan it's across the street from the Monica Downtown. It's it's one of my favorite days of the year. It really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, as it should be one of the things too. It was a great game. It reminded me of the New Mexico State game when a lot of people from the community came out as well as the fans. And it's more just just a game because the community came out too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was so fantastic to see so many people from our community to come out and embrace what we're doing. It was awesome to give Snoop a full stadium to look at, you know, as he's coming out for the first time. But we are more than a game. We've got so many great things that are happening during the game. We had great DJ, we had great musical performances, we had you know, great highlighting great people within our community during our game, and had some fun things along the way. And so, you know, if there's something for everybody, you don't even have to be a football fan. There's some type of entertainment and you know, extra special something, you know, during the program of the game for everybody.
Speaker 2: Right, So, I think he's here for three years, maybe two more after this one. But before so you've done this, how do you you're your car salesman. You sell ten this year, how are you going to sell eleven next year?
Speaker 5: Well, the great thing is is that we've got one year under our belt and we've seen what we can do. And now Snoop's seen, you know, personally, the whole event, and I know for a fact his energy and enthusiasm over the event, you know, really was meaningful to him, and I can't wait to see what types of additive aspects he wants to bring to the game to even elevate it more. You know, I think we I think this was just the beginning, and we can continue to you know, bring more and more exposure, more and more entertainment, more and more music and sports, you know, combined into what we're doing here. I think it's going to be really fantastic for years to come.
Speaker 2: I'm curious doing your your status and your and your title. You may have gotten a call or two from other Bowl games where said, how was it?
Speaker 4: How did you pull this off?
Speaker 2: And we're thinking about doing it too, but you know, with a different celebrity, if that makes any sense, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Haven't had many calls like that, you know. I think what we've done is kind of special. It's not something that you can just pull out of a rabbit. The years of planning for us to make it happen and work through and we're in a position, you know, to be able to do that. We're very scrappy, We're very nimble. You know, a lot of other Bowls are sort of entrenched in their tradition and broadcast partners and the things that they can and cannot do. And so we've been able to really be nimble and because that, you yeah, to do bigger and better things each year. So I think that we've definitely shown you know the world what we can do. And I wouldn't be surprised if more people, you know, try to, you know, try to do it. More bold executives try to kind of jump in and execute something similarly, Imitation is the best plum the flattery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're able to pull it off.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like you said, some bowls are restricted with what they can and cannot do with with the person they want to have do it with. Right, But no, what a fantastic thing. Real quick to how did the ill stuff do? What did you guys have them do or what did they do to to you know, to do what you guys did with the nil.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we hosted a camp on the day before the game, a football camp for kids out on Beardown Field, and from nine thirty to ten thirty, Miami came and hosted that event. All of those players came and helped the kids you know through the football camp, and they earned nil dollars for that, and then from eleven to twelve, Colorado State came and had the same experience with a different set of kids. So it was really a win win for our whole community because we've had, you know, kids that had an experience working with these collegiate athletes that they wouldn't have otherwise had, and then our athletes had this experience, you know, help them kids, you know, the next generation of football players coming up, you know, have a great experience and hopefully mold them into feature collegiate athletes as well.
Speaker 2: We live at a time what a great time to be an athlete, right, you come for an hour and get some anil an hour. It's some nil God to be young again, I know, I know. Well, enjoy enjoy your nights. I well, might see you downtown in the next couple of days or tomorrow night, I guess, you know, take a nap and then get ready for tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Sounds great. I'm gonna take your advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Kim, appreciate you all right, be well, yeah, great, great job, great job with the with the Arizona bal Snoop dogg a dog. Yeah, it's funny, yes, yes, favorite yeah, no, it was he was everywhere.
Speaker 4: He was like everywhere. Yeah, you know, it all around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was cool. It was cool to see. You know, you don't you don't just get that in Tucson, Arizona.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is I think a friend of mine had took a picture with him a while back and he bought youth teams, right and it was like, okay, it was not a big deal. Right now he's like this guy, Yeah, this big deal.
Speaker 4: He is him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think Tommy said it best yesterday. He's one on one. You know, we're all one of one, but he's one of one.
Speaker 3: He's one of four. Yeah, he's he was at the Olympics. Who can say that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, thank you, Kim. I appreciate your time and your info. We'll come back. Maybe take a caller two five, two zero four one six seventy four forty once he hits the commercial butt. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is formal while get lemanhandly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 4: In your life.
Speaker 13: All for a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial data available. It's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey Tucson.
Speaker 2: Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about his You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten tho five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to anaball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 1: You're one.
Speaker 2: Have my eye on the clock.
Speaker 4: Got about thirteen minutes before.
Speaker 2: We head out to the basketball game tonight, the first Big twelve.
Speaker 3: Game, first official, first official. There was never a unofficial West Virginia. Oh yeah, kind of yeah, non non conference game counts is non conference, Yeah, but they are a Big twelve. You are correct, You are correct. Okay, Well, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: I think that. What are you looking for tonight? Anything? Transition, transition.
Speaker 2: He talked about the how they're a pretty good defensive team, right, top five whatever is. Yeah, so we'll see. You think it's seventy. I think they'll win. But if they don't, it's going to be struggle. Caleble Love, like you said, said it all year. As he goes, the team will go. Obviously he guides them. I asked Tommy yesterday and I didn't put this in the story. Well, maybe save it for later this week about it. Has he found the leader yet? He said no, he's still looking. That's kind of strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially considering we're Yeah, the former PAC twelve Player.
Speaker 4: Of the Year.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's a leader though, No, I don't think so. But I think that's kind of what he's been thrown into.
Speaker 4: Right right.
Speaker 2: The leader in terms of production maybe, but not a leader leader in terms of who do you think it's the closest to I think the guy that could could do that. And I asked this during the question. I asked about Caleb with the quote you used was Jayden Bradley Because he has the ball in his hand a lot, He's got that personality of you know, he's a tough dude. They can get stuff done and he can lead by example and maybe even verbally because he's a smart guy, So Jane Bradley would be my guess. I asked him up with that too. I can't remember his answer to me, but he tries to do it. But he was kind of like polity correct and everybody has a role yet and I asked time with that too, if if you don't have a leader, could it be by committee? And he can't say, yeah, everyone has their own personality.
Speaker 4: And do you need a leader? I think you do if you want to be successful? And what would that leader is do? What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: What does the leader do? Especially on a team with young guys.
Speaker 3: So so for me, there's typically two types of leaders. There's the lead by example or lead with your presidence m hm okay, I think I think Bradley is the set by example. I don't think he's as not necessarily energetic, but out there with his personality. He'll he'll go and have fun, celebrate when need to. But I think someone that could bring what Bradley can't is kJ Lewis. I think he's very he has that he has a I need a win at all cost mentality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, closest thing to being a sophomore that play a factor. He's not an older dude.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think at this point he's he's played enough, Okay, he should Okay.
Speaker 2: So now you have you have a sophomore and a sophomore pretty much, right, maybe Jade's junior. Yeah, and you have Kg's who's a sophomore.
Speaker 4: Now you have a few older dudes. Well to listen to these guys. If you want to win, you should.
Speaker 2: The dynamic of it changes, right. You have to kind of trust the guys. You have to believe in the guys.
Speaker 4: You have to.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what leadership is. You got to believe in them and whatever they're saying. And I see if they're legit all that, even if.
Speaker 4: You don't want to listen, then why not step up? True?
Speaker 2: That's why I think everybody has to kind of take the reins of the and it might I think that's what he said. Every game is different, so maybe somebody else steps up in a certain times.
Speaker 4: But that would mean there'd be a lot of leaders.
Speaker 5: Leaders.
Speaker 3: You get one or two, yeah, you get one, need one or two yeah, yeah, Because at the end of the day, that first leader, whoever it being does need someone to fall back on. Yeah, he's not just gonna go out there and do it by himself. Right, We'll see, we'll see. It'll be interesting. It's gonna be an interesting This is just a bizarre year. And I say bizarre and not in a bad way, just to we haven't seen this type of stuff in a long time, especially from even just Tommy himself.
Speaker 4: He's this is a big step in his coaching career.
Speaker 2: He's in the new territory too, right, He's always had it easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in three years.
Speaker 2: Now for uh, even at Gonzaga when he was not the head coach. He's coach. He didn't have to deal with this. Uh, and he wasn't. They were successful. Now it's like, okay, here we are. Now this is on you, and see what you can do with it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have the the lost to u C.
Speaker 11: L A.
Speaker 3: And it wouldn't look as bad if you were if that was your first or second loss of the season. You know, but you you already lost to Wisconsin, You've already lost a duke, and you've lost two games in the Bahamas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the two games of the Bahamas were you know, the one to West Virginia was a little uh weird, and they went after that.
Speaker 4: Who was the other one too? Lost in Oklahoma? I OK, think that's one of the legit losses if you want to know that, Yeah, because they'd be there. They're a good team. Yeah, they be good, solid team.
Speaker 3: They have they have a leader, they have a guy out there making play yeah, and willing them to wins.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we'll see fourteen and six. I think that's the target number for now. Win a couple more games in the tournament. If you don't, then you're gonna be oo man.
Speaker 3: I mean there's already the projections and the predictions out there.
Speaker 4: The Wildcats are the next four out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Still, it's still it's a perfect place to be not necessari not perfect, but right now that's the perfect place to be placed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's legit.
Speaker 2: It's legit because there are other teams playing very well and it gives you some motivation to be better. Not that that will happen, I mean, doesn't guarantee you that you'll get the motivation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and at this point you shouldn't need any more motivation. Yeah, we're six and five under quote unquote underachieving. Right, Well, you should be wanting to play better and get today.
Speaker 2: Tuesday, mondayday, Monday, so in a week or a weekend, in a day or so, because they play tonight and then they go to Saturday to West Virginia, right, and then they played Tuesday in Cincinnati, so you know here tonight and then two road games, which you're gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: Every game on the road is gonna be tough. And they got to steal at least one of those games on the road. Yeah, it's almost like we're talking about football again. You know that that Kansas State Utah road trips. Yeah, you gotta win one. You gotta come out Ideally you come out of this next week or so three and one or two and one. Yeah, if you go one and two, you're starting to question question things again.
Speaker 4: Back to the drawing board and not in a good place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, And you have very little room to mess up. The wiggle room is not good.
Speaker 3: Even just even just looking at you know, TCUs for you're facing them for the first time, kind of where you're at at this point of the season, kind of subpar mid level as far as their season goes. And you have a Cincinnati team who's pretty dang good. Yeah, they've been they've been ranked almost all season. And then you you face a team you've already lost to at their home r West Virginia, after already being on the road at Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: So I'm giving you a chance to write a little story. Uh, and how would you describe this season? What word would you? You kind of hit it the nail on the head. It's just bizarre. Unfamiliar is another word?
Speaker 4: Mediopen? Yeah, that's that's a good word to use. And I've never used that word.
Speaker 2: And for this maybe in Shawn's one of his last years, but because you didn't know, but it's not it's not good. I mean it was of fans. We're not used to this. No, and and the way.
Speaker 3: Uh our guests name, I forget his name, but Aaron he kind of talked about it, but I think maybe off air. But uh, you know, you look at those two exhibition games. This this looked like a national championship team. Everything jelled and then a month later you're starting question is Tommy the guy?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And people have Yeah, people have, which I think is ridiculous. It is.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing about is the people who say this, not that they don't have a clue because they probably they've seen enough games, but their credibility to have a clue is the question. You know, Okay, so you're gonna help with the buyout? You know what stake you have in this? I got two cents start your goal funding? Yeah, so you good?
Speaker 4: Plenty that ain't happening.
Speaker 3: I think when those type of things happen, when you get the gofundmes are a little bit ridiculous. There's there's people in certain positions for reasons to make those type of decisions right.
Speaker 4: Let them handle it. Let them You put your faith into them too, to make those right decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah you have I'm sure you have relatives like that. Oh yeah, I'm saying that you don't have these opinions. But what do they do? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, getting getting of this little bit of experience since I think end of July. I do listen now in a different view in what sense, and they say something, and I say, what are you talking about? Did you watch the game? Did you did you watch the film? Have you have you heard what they're saying? Well, because especially after the Duke loss, everyone everyone I'm surrounded by saying so Arizona's trash this year on all levels football, basketball. I said, no, that we lost to a good team football. They struggled, They had their reasons to struggle.
Speaker 4: So you an apologist kind of.
Speaker 3: Are realist Now I'm a realist now you weren't before. No, I will help you with that. Yes you have. I was gonna. I've adapted. I'm losing the fan of me, just ever so slightly. But when I get those moments where I'm just watching the game at home, yeah, the neighbors will probably call the police.
Speaker 4: Something might be happening. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: He's yelling a lot. Oh you still have that, Yeah, it's still there. I do too when I got dropped the ball and I need the yards or uh.
Speaker 3: But that have been that have been Saturday with the Broncos that I I didn't even watch the final two minutes.
Speaker 2: There's one thing with that. You can't lose that passion. You just can't. Maybe when you get older like me, you will, but but it's eventually you say, you know what, what's the importance of it?
Speaker 3: You carry yourself a little bit differently when when you get the experiences, and I thought it would be it's going to be an adjustment for me with the football games because that's my sport, that's my team. Uh well, for for I'm saying this. Before I started, Yeah, yeah, you know football, I followed them religiously and I thought I was going to struggle when I started covering them, and it kind of came a little bit. It kind of helped me, honestly, help my help my my physical health honestly.
Speaker 2: Well, you know part of it is because they weren't any good. Yeah, and that kind of eased your pain because you knew they weren't any good.
Speaker 4: If they were good, really good, you you.
Speaker 2: Would have been a fandom covering You would have been a fan boy covering the team.
Speaker 4: Oh man.
Speaker 3: I think them not being as successful this year definitely helped get get into those mindsets of yeah I need a this is how I went black, and why deal?
Speaker 4: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: And it just gives you a different focus, right, a better focus for your job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Even just watching it with family when I'm not covering anything, I'm yeah, this is that, that's what happened.
Speaker 4: That's that's why it happened.
Speaker 3: And you know, right, they don't get it, No, they don't.
Speaker 4: Get it done well.
Speaker 3: It's like my friends point we almost yeah, almost, they call me I'll say this to call me kulude, because I can tell them this is gonna happen, and watch and it happens, and it happens.
Speaker 4: Is how you know? I've been here too many times? Yeah exactly, I know.
Speaker 2: I know, and not that I told you so, but I kind of knew that was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You've seen it so many times. The history repeats itself. You've seen the surgery. Yeah, you've seen the surgery at number of time. And he says, well, I know the patient is probably gonna die, but it was a good surgery.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We washed our hands, we got our masks on, went through it, and here we are at the end.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, Well, I thinks I'm gonna be gone for the next week or so. I'll see you Monday next week, no chows the rest of the week. Sorry, guys. I appreciate everybody.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Qu