Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp the House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app. This very program, as you may or may not know, is also known as the House Whisper podcast that you can find anywhere and listen to any time on demand. Hundreds of episodes, all searchable by topic. It is a massive home improvement reference library for you. You can find it, of course on the free iHeartRadio app, but also on Apple Podcasts or Spotify or wherever you listen to your favorite podcast. Hopefully we become one of your favorite podcasts. Just search for House Whisper or Dean Sharp, or Home with Dean or just about. Just put in any word and I will come up. No, just any of those, you'll find me. No matter how you'll look, you'll find me there and then there we are. Subscribe and then you'll be notified every time we do another episode, which is two a week by the way, ah, that's right. Our Sunday morning and our Saturday morning broadcasts about an hour we go after we go off the air are converted into a podcast form and you can find them. So if you've missed any part of this show or any show. You can always go back and listen. Also, if you're thinking, hey, that's all great, Dean, but what we really need is you and Tina in our house, you can do that too. You can book an in home design consult with me and Tea. You just go to house whisper dot Design. And if you live out of area, you know there are always electronic ways of doing this. In fact, we just did a beautiful, beautiful couple. We just did a zoom consult with them. They live in Albuquerque, and we did a zoom consult with them, and it looks like we're going to be stepping up and actually doing the design on their home, and which means Tina and I now have to go to Albuquerque. But the consult that was entirely remote and and it worked out just great. So you've got options. Just go to house whisper dot Design. All right, it is an all calls Sunday morning and doing nothing but calls, and I want to get back to the phones. Let's talk to Albert. Hey, Albert, welcome home, Hello Dean.
Speaker 2: Why don't the kinder change some silly lamps? They're ali d and at night you could see light coming through to the switch off. Why what did I do that?
Speaker 1: Okay? So are these recess can lights up in the ceiling or they're just lamps that you put LED bulbs in.
Speaker 2: They're like the eighteen in diameter silly lamps. I guess there's stock where the alied bulbs, and especially at night, the switches off and it's still some dim coming through these light bulbs.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now here's an important question to two important questions. Uh do they do they eventually stop glowing or just they stay on all night long?
Speaker 2: They stay on night They stay on all night long?
Speaker 1: Okay, and today but you can't see it, okay? Yeah? Yeah. And the second question is the switch that controls uh these is it a dimmer? Is it a specialty switch? Is just a regular on off switch? What do you got going on there?
Speaker 2: It's a regular one and that was changed they put a new one on and still does that.
Speaker 1: Okay. So they already changed out the switch and it's just an on off regular switch. And you you know for certain that that on off switch is compatible with LED bulbs?
Speaker 2: That I don't know, but uh electric uh electrician, professional electrician. He put it in for us, So.
Speaker 1: I sure what the difference was all right. Uh So, the reason I asked that question is that it's it's actually not at all an uncommon thing. It's called phantom voltage or ghosting. It's not an uncommon thing for indoor LED lights to emit a faint glow even when they are turned off. Now, most of the time people notice that and then they come back later and they realize, oh, no, it's not glowing. And that's simply because of the way an LED light is built. LEDs, by the way, are super super sensitive to voltage, which is one of the reasons why they take such lower amounts of voltage to operate in, which why there's such energy saving bulbs. But they're super sensitive to voltage. So when an LED is turned off, the inside its system there's a capacitor and there's an inductor, and then as soon as the voltage is turned off to the LED, the capacitor starts discharging its energy and that alone keeps the LED sort of glowing for a while until it comes to zero, and the inductor as well. So that's why I asked if they eventually go off. Now, if that's the case, that's just sort of normal old LED situations. And it's nothing to worry about. If they literally are on just all night, then you have one of two things. You've either got a switch controlling them. Most commonly, it's a dimmer switch that has been purchased that just isn't for whatever reason, compatible enough, and even when it's down on low or on off, it's leaking a faint amount of voltage and keeping those LEDs glowing at some low level. The easiest way to find that out is just to change out the dimmer or change out the switch. Now you said that electrician already did that. I just want to know. I want to make sure that they know, and I'm assuming if it's a license electrician, that they do know that there are switches that are compatible with LED bulbs and switches that are not the easiest way to isolate whether it's the switch is simply this. It's not to just switch out one switch to the next. It's to remove the switch and then see while the wires are completely disconnected okay, connected to no switch, which means off, to see if those lights are still glowing when there's no new switch put in place, just an empty box with you know, safely wire nutted, capped wires. If if when there's no switch there at all and the switch is completely disconnected, if those lights are off like off, then it is a switch compatibility issue, okay, And that's that's good news, and that you're just going to have to find the right switch to control those lights that will actually you know, douse all the cut off all the energy and not leak any of them through.
Speaker 2: But if the switches, would I buy one, what would I have to ask for?
Speaker 1: Uh? You know that they're not hard to find. You just need to when you're in the electrical aisle at the hardware store at the big box store. You just need to look for the simplest led compatible switch. And if they say it right on the okay, yeah, that's easy. And so so if they're off when the switch is disconnected, then it's the switch, okay. Uh. If they if the switch is disconnected and they are still glowing, then what you have is a situation where and it's not necessarily a something to worry about, but what you have is you've got voltage leakage from somewhere else. It could be a ground wire that isn't ground properly, completely grounded properly, the neutral wire, the white wire. If it's not completely grounded properly, it might be carrying faint, faint amounts of phantom voltage and just enough. It wouldn't light anything else in the world up, but it's just enough to activate a glow, a faint glow on an LED. And if that's the case, then an electrician needs to take a more serious look at the system. If it's bugging you. Again, I don't see it as a threat to your home, but it's certainly weird, and so they would take a more serious look at the system. They would voltage test circuits and find out if we can locate where phantom voltage is getting in other than the direct line. And that happens every once in a while. But I got to tell you, Albert, most of the time, most of the time, it's the switch almost all the time, or there's something wrong with the lamp itself, but most of the time it's the switch. Thanks for the question, really good question. I hope that helps a very very simple test to find out if it's the switch, and then you move on from there.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Dean sharp the house whisper at your service. Thanks for joining us on the program today. Always a pleasure to have you with us, Always a privilege to be here in your ear talking about this thing that means so much to all of us, Home and how to take your home to the next level. We're doing that today. Just be by taking calls. It's an all calls Sunday morning. It's been an all call weekend. All calls yesterday's if you're a podcast listener, previous episode as well, Nothing but calls yesterday, Nothing but calls today. Let's go back to the phones and have some fun. I want to talk to Jim. Hey Jim, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Hey Dean, how's it going.
Speaker 1: It's going great. How are you my friend? How can I help you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing all right. I just have a quick question because my uh my dad used to be a contractor and he's given me some advice. But I'm wondering because you know, coach change and stuff over time. I added a mini split to my garage so that I can make that into a game room for my kids. But I want to get one of them big barn sheds in my backyard and I want to run electrical to it and another mini split out there. I was wondering, do I have to pull permits and stuff to do all that?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, you do. Uh and I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Tell me that.
Speaker 1: Here's the good news, though, Jim, is that it's not like you know, if you're running depending on the size of the shed. First of all, right, there are shed you know. Shed shed is an interesting term. Most cities, most municipality have a clear definition of what a shed versus a garage versus something else is, right, So the shed alone depending on the size. So you just got to call the city and find out, hey, what's the cutoff square footage for a shed for you guys? Right, and they'll tell you sheds don't need permits to be put on property. I don't know a single city that says you got to have a permit for a shed. Okay, you can just drop it. Boom, there it is. I got a storage shed. I got a bunch of storage sheds here on my property, right, I don't need a permit for the shed because because they fall under the square footage of what the city considers a shed. If you go over that, then you've got a whole nother thing on your hands. But the point is this, as far as the running electrical, I can run electricity any shed here in my property to have a light and have a you know, whatever whatever is going on there. And most of the time when you're just running electrical to a shed, you just got to do it by code. And the permit is going to very likely be an over the counter permit, so it's not gonna be some big hassle. It's not like you gotta submit drawings and you gotta do this and that. I gotta storage shed, I want to run electrical to it. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna do it right. I'm going I got an underground conduit, you know, eight PVC con do it eighteen inches underground, or a metal con doit more than six inches underground. I'm running over and here's the light, and here's the switch, and here's the outlet. And they're going to hand you a piece of paper and say count the outlets and the switches and the light fixture for us, and give us this much money, and you walk home with your permit, and then you're just gonna have to call after you dig the trench. The inspector's going to want to see the conduit laying in the bottom of a properly dug trench, and he's gonna say, okay, go ahead, fill up the trench, you pull your wires, put it all in, and he's gonna come back and say, all right, it all looks fine. He's gonna sign it off and walk away and you're done.
Speaker 4: All right. That sounds a lot easier than what I thought I was going to have to do to run my table cells and stuff out there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, so the But honestly, you know, I mean, most building departments, contrary to popular opinion, are not there to make your life miserable. And believe me, they they they're not looking to h to make their job any harder. And so when it comes to that kind of a thing running water to a shed, run in electricity too, they just want to make sure it's done right now, they're going to get their pound of flesh. But it's not going to be it's not going to go through plan check, you know, with drawings and all of that. They just going to want you to count outlets, count switches, count light fixtures, and they've got a fixed charge for you it's going to be twenty five dollars per outlet, and then there it is. You pay the money, you get the permit, the inspector inspects. It's those kinds of things. It's like a roofing permit, right, nobody has to draw a picture of your house to get a roofing permit. The roofer pulls a permit. Hey, we're doing a reroof are like, okay, it'll be this much money and we'll see you after the tear offf is done. So it's that kind of thing. Yeah, it's it's more hassle than you just doing it all by yourself, but it's a lot less than a whole house permit and drawings and all that jazz. So that's a little bit of good news at least for you.
Speaker 4: Great great news for me because I thought I was going to have to put through grinds and stuff.
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, thanks for the question. Good luck on that. While you're talking to the city. Make sure that your shed it falls within the definition of shed because that's the problem that that's the point that surprises some people is they get like a garage size shed. I'm doing air quotes, and they find out that the city does not consider that a shed. They consider that a garage structure, and that does require drawings and all sorts of other thingies. So just check with this city first so you don't have to backtrack or run into any problems.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Loving our show today. I am, I hope you are. It's an all calls Sunday morning, nothing but your calls, and we've got more calls ahead of us. So I want to get right back to it. I want to talk to Louis. Hey, Louie, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Hey Dean, how you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good? How can I help you?
Speaker 5: Bud American Standard, A few questions. Is it a quality? Is it worth the extended warranty? And is this a good time now that I got to put a new heater in, to put in maybe a whole house filter and also a recirculation valve.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let me miss backpedal here for a half second, because I wasn't writing all that down. Okay, American Standard. American Standard is a massive brand, and so you're talking about an AC system.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a water heat water heater.
Speaker 1: Oh, a water heater, Okay, yeah, yeah yeah. American Standard generally speaking, is a solid brand. I mean they've been around since the I want to say, the nineteen twenties, maybe earlier, no, actually before the nineteen twenties, and it's a good brand it has been. Here's the irony, of course, right, this is the world we live in. American Standard in twenty thirteen was purchased by Lixil Corporation, which is a Japanese company, a Japanese multinational company. So technically American Standard is owned by a Japanese multinational now as of twenty thirteen. But the point is they are still manufacturing very high quality stuff and you know, and it's always a unit for unit basis. They make HVAC system, They obviously make a lot of plumbing, UH fixtures and supplies and toilets and so on, uh and also UH water heaters and so uh. If it matches up with the specs that you want for your house, I don't think it's a bad choice at all. And you know, there are a lot of them out there to choose from, so you just have to, you know, make the best choice. Possible, But there's there's nothing wrong with an American Standard product as far as I know. There may be some plumbers listing who and and plumbing and hvac guys, all of us, all of our, all of us builders in our own specialties. We all have our preferences and we're all like, no, not that thing, you got to use this one instead. But you know, uh, it's it's just an ongoing matter of debate. Some products, some brands we all shy away from all of us. But American Standard is not one of those brands. It's debatable between some pros, but it's just not so. So yeah, I'm going to tell you that you know, you probably won't be going wrong going in that direction. So that's the brand. Now throw the other questions at me real quick.
Speaker 5: The extended warranty from six to twelve years, Well, it.
Speaker 1: Depends on how much the extended warranty is costing. You are two hundred bucks and this is just the standard tanked water heater.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a standard. One of the people that advertise on you is going to be doing it, so I don't know if it's standard. I can give you the price. If that tells you the quality level of it any one to twenty five hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said, you know, get the extended warranty, because when I say standard, I just mean a tanked water heater, not a tankless, it's a tanked water heater.
Speaker 5: No, it's a tank. Yes, it's a normal yess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I don't. I don't think they're you know, for for a couple of hundred bucks, get the extended warranty. You know, keep that protection, uh, because you know, at some point something always goes funky with a tanked water heater, and it'd be nice to know that you could get that far and you know, not have to lay down someone. It's going to cost you more than two hundred dollars to fix whatever is going to fix down the road, you know. And I know that's the way it is with all protection plans, but some are worth it, some or not. For a couple of hundred bucks out of you know, just do it. I would, I would just do it.
Speaker 5: So is it a good time Now that I'm out of this money, I might as well just stump a little bit more into the whole house filter and the recirculation valve. You think it's this is the time to do it when you're getting a new heater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not? Why not? The recirculation valve pump is a is always a good idea for for a house. Uh that, I mean it does if you're tight on the money right now, you know you could do both of those later. But you know, while you're messing with all of it, you know if if, if it's within your budget reach yet, just get it all done now and don't worry about it later.
Speaker 5: Great, thanks for the information.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, thank you for the call. I've seen your name on the board for most of the show, and I just thank you so much for hanging in there, and I wanted to do my best to reward you for I'm looking across the board. Louis was there. I think he's been here since the first segment of the show, or pretty close to it, so he's just been hanging on. So I wanted to make sure I honored that. Where are we at? Here? Where are we at?
Speaker 6: On?
Speaker 1: Time? Do I have time to?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I do I've got time to at least start one. I want to talk to Barbara. Hey, Barbara, welcome home.
Speaker 7: Ah, thank you, Thanks for taking my call. This has to do with asbestos. Twenty years ago or so, our house was tested and the only place they found it was in the garage. And they told us at the time that as long as we did in anything, to just leave it because we don't work in the garage or anything. So now we're considering selling the house, and we had the garage tested again because it's been so long, and it showed that the ceiling had a three percent crystal tile and that the wall joints had a two percent crystal tile. And the people that did the testing can't do the abatement.
Speaker 2: I guess by lost right.
Speaker 7: So does this need to have be removed? Can we cover it? Cover it with paint? Anyway?
Speaker 6: What do I do next?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you're you're getting ready to sell the house and this is a dry walled garage, the finished garage wall. Yes, okay, the simplest, least expensive way to legally and safely alleviate the asbestos issue. And you're absolutely right, and everybody needs to be informed that the asbestos is of no danger to anybody as long as it is not disturbed. It's only when it gets disturbed and it goes airborne, Is it breatheable? And then then you have you know, asbestos related health concerns.
Speaker 7: Okay, I need a definition of disturbing it.
Speaker 1: Disturbing it literally means rubbing, rubbing up against it and uh and causing it to uh, you know, to powder and flake and get into the air. That's disturbing it. No, yeah, that's yeah. So the easiest way for you guys that I would recommend, and it's not going to cost that much money, and it's just just a minute fraction compared to what an abatement would cost you, is simply encapsulated. Now, I don't want you to paint over it. Okay, we would paint over lead bab paint. That's a that's a There are paint coatings to protect people from lead based paints in a house, But asbestos, I want a better protection. Encapsulating simply means that you're gonna drywall over the drywall in the garage. Just a new layer of drywall that and now the asbestos is back where nobody can touch it, no one can reach it, It cannot get into the air, it cannot be damaged, it cannot be bumped, you know, and and it's completely safe, and this is absolutely code approved and completely legal to do. You're not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. It is simply the wisest and least expensive, most economical way to deal with asbestos. Whether it's whether it's out in the dry wall tape in the garage, or whether it's you know, throughout a house in old acoustic ceiling spray. The easiest way to make it, to render it harmless, is to encapsulate it and and walk away.
Speaker 7: Now do I need a special contractor to do this.
Speaker 1: No, ma'am. You just need to dry wall over that dry wall and that's it.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, I think I think it's all the questions that I had, And yeah.
Speaker 1: That's it, all right, Barbara. Good luck with that. Good luck on the sale of your home, and yeah, do that, do that well, but don't worry about the rest and you'll be in good shape, all right.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you for joining us on the program today. Here we are nearing the end of another three hours together, can you believe it? Let me just say a couple of things here before we are done. I'm going to try and fit in one more call if at all possible, but I want to remind you follow us on social media. We're on all the usual suspects, Instagram, TikTok, fakesbook x at home with Dean, same handle for all. Don't forget the house Whisper podcast is everywhere your favorite podcasts are found, and if your home is in need of some personalized house Whisperer attention, you can book an in home design console with us here at house Whisperer dot Design. All right, I'm going to try my best to fit in one more call here and some closing thoughts today, So let's talk to Kathy. Hey, Kathy, welcome home.
Speaker 6: Oh hello, hello, I thank you very much.
Speaker 5: I'm glad to be.
Speaker 4: There with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. So how can I help you?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: I have a seventy year old ranch house that had a little kind of square corner patio with the cement floor on it, when at first a porch first was built, somebody in between time enclosed the whole thing. It's stucco on the outside. Uh and uh, it's got It's just basically like the guy had before, except it's a step down. That's not quite so far. It's about four inches down. And I want to level this out so my husband and I can live safely in this house through our dotage and uh, you know, have it all all the floor on one level. How can I raise that up? I'm I've talked to some people and they've got there. They're saying it's it's an awful job.
Speaker 1: All right. So the patio, the enclosed patio, what kind of doors does it? Does it have out to the outside itself?
Speaker 4: It has.
Speaker 6: Right now, a sliding glass door.
Speaker 1: And a little doggy door, okay, and it has windows. I assume I'm not really worried about the windows.
Speaker 6: Windows windows, no windows, although there is a crossbeam across there's a way bearing thing going across the top, and like a something in between the rooms, but.
Speaker 5: That's that's not my concern.
Speaker 1: I just want that floor, okay. So the biggest question here, Kathy is can't is there is there room from the ceiling down? Is their room in this patiomclosure to raise those doors up? Six inches?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so, Okay, I do think so if.
Speaker 1: We can raise the doors now, it's a little bit of work, but it's not the end of the world. If we can raise the door six inches, then you can simply frame in a new floor in the inside the patio room there that matches the floor level of your existing home. And uh, and just bring it. You can bring it up with with framing. You don't have to pour cement, you don't have to just deconstruct the whole thing necessarily, and and you know, just frame in a new floor and up to the exist to match the existing level and raise the doors and you should be set. You can do that inside the you know, the inside the existing structure.
Speaker 6: That sounds fantastic.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that.
Speaker 6: We had one guy come out and look at it, and he was talking about pouring cement and it wouldn't work, and and I'm going on, wait a minute, it's got to be another way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question that the best way, the best way, the fanciest way, would be to you know, to pour you know, extended slab out there. But that's also that's also crazy making expensive, and you know, and if we're just talking about getting by and enjoying the patio room. So here's the thing in lieu of the slab, right, Uh, I want you to use wood framing to go out there. You're gonna use pressure treated wood so that it can make contact with moist surfaces and not worry about rot or anything like that. And we're gonna see the outside of it to make sure that moisture doesn't get in. And then I want you to do a really really good job of insulating that floor with h with like a rock wool insulation. Just pack it all in there. Not for the sake of keeping the floor warm or cool or anything like that, but so that when you walk across your slab floor of the existing house and then walk out onto this wood floor, you're gonna hear a difference in your footsteps. You're gonna hear it go from far from muted to uh. Or are you on a raise foundation?
Speaker 6: We're on a raised foundation.
Speaker 1: Oh then don't even worry about it. It's all gonna sound the same. Just extend that wood out, uh and it's all going to be the same.
Speaker 6: There you go on the cement and it'll do Oh wonderful. Okay, I'll have to break some to my husband. That's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: Oh great, Now, don't blame me, don't blame me.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, I will that's okay, Kathy, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that that helped you out there. All right, y'all, here we are at the end of another three hour broadcast with you. I hope you enjoyed the show today. We've got so so much more time to spend together as the week's roll on here. I'm here live with you every weekend Saturday mornings from six to eight Pacific time, Sunday mornings nine to noon Pacific time. And I'm sorry, I'm just giving no, no, it's shaking the table. And it's been a while, I know since I've left you with some closing thoughts. You know, life here at the beginning of the year has been busy everything Tina, from Tina recovering from surgery, to some other family things happening. I just lost a beloved uncle in our life here recently. That was a surprise and a shock to all of us. There's just been a lot of things going on. But guess what. I sat up this morning and I had the inkling to sit down and write out some thoughts, and for better or worse, I'm going to share them with you before we go today. So I'm going to leave you with this thought today. In any first year logic or rhetoric or debate class, if you were to take one, you would learn about logical fallacies, or to put it simply, mistakes in thinking. Now I have found myself thinking about one of those fallacies for a number of reasons this week. It's a fancy Latin name. It's known as post hoc ergo propter hoc, which means because one event happened after another event, the first event must have caused it. Okay. It's also known as correlation, implies, causation, and now okay, great, thankstein. In plain English, it's the it's sometimes the misimpression that we get because one thing comes after another, that the first thing caused the second thing. Sometimes that's true right now, Like in my car, I press my foot on the brake pedal of my car and the car slows down the one thing that causes the other. That's true. But sometimes it's not true. Every time I get into my car, I sit down, I shut the door, I put on my seat belt, I just the mirrors, and then I turn the key to start the engine. But even though all of those things happen in order, every time the engine starts. Only one of those things is actually the reason that the engine starts right, just the key. But an outside observer who doesn't know enough about cars might very well improperly conclude that the entire sequence is what starts the car. That's the kind of thing we're talking about. There's another adage that has been a part of my life for years. In backpacking, we have an adage that ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain. It means that everything you decide to put in your pack weighs something, and that weight adds up fast, and a heavy pack can ruin your fun on a backpacking trip. So you want to make wise decisions about what is essential and leave behind what is not. All right, what is the point of all of this? The point is on the journey of my life, I want to better understand what I need to lug around with me and what I don't, and to do that, I have been questioning for a long time now just how many things we cling to because we mistakenly believe that they are necessary for good things to happen. How much weight, how much cultural convention, how much tradition, how much emotional baggage, how much belief system, how much ritual, how many wounds, how much pride. I look around our world and I see so many people groaning under the weight of all of that they have chosen to carry, and it's just too much. We break ourselves to carry it, though, because we think, I think mistakenly that we've come to believe these things are necessary for good things to happen. And I'm not here to tell you to lay down all of your burdens. I'm just a fellow traveler with his own sore back, who is always questioning all the things I've chosen to bring with me along the way. What do I really need? What really starts the car? And what is just the other stuff that I've made assumptions about? And we live I don't need to tell you in a politically divided world, a religiously divided world, a culturally divided world, an economically divided world, such a divided world, a world always at war with itself. But here's the thing, all this stuff, these beliefs, these traditions, these identities that we think are so necessary. I know, really really good, really healthy, truly beautiful people on every side of every issue, And I know, really bad, really unhealthy, unsavory people on every side of every one of these things. So at some point I have to wonder if it's the cultures and the beliefs, the traditions and the taking sides that really matters at all. Are these really the things that start the car? Are these really what we should be lugging around, or is what makes a good person good and happy and beautiful something else altogether. I've come to the personal opinion that love, trust, honesty, kindness, integrity, things like that, a life filled with a thousand tiny choices to be as healthy a human being as possible. These are the things I see in every beautiful person I meet, regardless of their other beliefs, or their political party, or their cultural norms or their family traditions. And I've met so many unhealthy people who share some of my own views, and so many truly healthy people who don't, And it makes me look at some of the stuff in my own pack and question whether these things are really necessary to carry at all, or whether there are, deep down in the bottom of my pack just a few essentials that are truly worth carrying, just a few things that may actually be the only real things needed to build a beautiful life. Now, it's not my place to tell you what you should and shouldn't carry, but I think it's at least worth asking the question. And so there I've done it. I've asked the question, and I will leave it to you to toss that thought aside, or to take it seriously and take a look at the stuff in your own pack and find out if, with whatever time you have left on this planet, it's worth carrying that stuff around, or maybe it's time to just lay some of it down, free yourself to live a beautiful life. I hope that's something worth listening to today, and I hope you get out there and get busy building yourself a beautiful life, and we will see you right back here next weekend. This has been Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI AM six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time, and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.