Speaker 1: Oh, Boston, you are so much better than this. But here we are stuck in the clouds and the fog again, and it's still pretty chilly. As we get started today it is just forty four degrees. But it's Friday. Six o'clock in the News at six is brought to us by your new England Toyota Dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. I'm Jeff Brown. As we break on through to the other side, gradually diminishing winds with lots of clouds and a coupled of showers today and temperatures mid fifty slowly improving weather throughout the Memorial Day weekend. That is WBZ YACKI weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. By Sunday, hopefully we can forget all about this. We'll be right back where we should be. There are still about fifteen hundred customers without electricity in Massachusetts this morning, mostly west of Worcester, and just a few delays on the board at Logan Airport after hundreds of flights were affected by this storm yesterday. Spring semester is over for most students at Harvard, and now foreign students face a future filled with doubts.
Speaker 2: Privilege, not a right for universities to enroll foreign students. Those are the words of Homeland Security Secretary Christy Nome in a letter to Harvard University. She's ordered her department to terminate the school's student exchange certification. According to Nome, Harvard will no longer be able to enroll foreign students, and ones already at the school must transfer or lose their legal status. Her letter goes on to say that Harvard has created an unsafe campus environment by allowing anti American and pro terrorist agitators on campus. This comes after Harvard loss roughly three billion dollars in funding from the federal government for not complying with the administration's policies. In response, Harvard says the government's actions are unlawful and that they are fully committed to maintaining the school's ability to host international students. Brooke McCarthy WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: By the way, the White House is also giving Harvard seventy two hours to update its files on foreign students in any attempt if it wants to get its international certification back. Harvard's commencement sem he is still to come next week, along with MIT. It is no holiday in fact for college graduation season. Here in Massachusetts Framingham State, the class of twenty five walks tomorrow morning at the DCU Center in Worcester. Governor Heely is the keynote at the Mount Holio College ceremony on Sunday, and UMass Boston's class of twenty five also graduates next week as well. Let's Play two. Red Sox and Orioles will play a day night doubleheader, weather permitting, at Fenway Park. First pitch is expected at one thirty five this afternoon. Meantime, Red Sox relief pitcher Liam Hendrix says online death threats posted against him and his wife are disgusting and vile. The thirty six year old reliever has been through the fires of cancer and has resumed his career after successful treatment of non Hodgkins lymphoma, though he's had a rough go of it out of the Red Sox bullpen this year. Red Sox front office says it's got Hendricks back and reiterates its policy on its fan code of conduct. The team says it's not above involving law enforcements if necessary as well. Look at the radar this morning indicates that the last we think of the rain is pulling through the area, but it doesn't look that way. If you take a good look outside and a quick one at that, you'll still see the breeze is whipping up a frenzy around thirty mile per hour gusts, and it's still cold forty four degrees here in Boston. And yeah, it's probably still raining where you are as well, But it's overall going to be a damp day with some improvement on the way, some brighter skies a little bit later on. Today. It's going to be remaining breezy, but the winds will be dying down and temperatures will take a leap forward into the mid to upper fifties this afternoon. So the Red Sox are expected to play a double header at Fenway Park. If you're going to the first game, and even the night game, you might want to think about bundling up. It's going to continue to be windy with clouds for the most part and maybe a couple of showers overnight. Tonight lows back into the forties, and he left over rain will finally begin to start pulling away tomorrow. There will be a cool breeze as temperatures will advance into the lower set sixties. Even better on Sunday, as we start to really turn a corner, we'll start to see some sunshine return for the latter part of the holiday weekend. Sunday and Monday looks like we could see temperatures out or above seventy degrees, so finally we'll get there eventually. It's forty four and still looking pretty miserable here in Boston on this Friday morning. It's six oh six, so let's try this again. Drenching down pores put many of our holiday weekend travel plans on hold, so it's take two today.
Speaker 3: They're shipping out of Boston this weekend, so we're over to Watkins Glen, Western New York race car territory, and he's fixing to get on the track. I do a lot of racing, I mean tracks up and down the East Coast. Is it true that Rubbin's racing? Rubb is racing, Yeah, but the only thing rubbing their wheels yesterday was water puddles galore in that nor'eastern Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh it's bad.
Speaker 1: I mean it's you know, the wind and everything else. What's horrible.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that's been a long time so Today's the day to get out of the day to get out, yes, and out of town. They're going with better road conditions today to travel and for him need for speed.
Speaker 1: Two days to seven hour races and.
Speaker 3: We have a blast Chrisvama, WBZ, Boston's news radio and in the air.
Speaker 5: The TSA expects to screen about eighteen million people at checkpoints during the Memorial Day weekend. Pushed last Sunday actually was the busiest day of the travel year so far. At airports, TSA screened over two point nine million people, just shy of a top ten.
Speaker 1: Days, CBS News correspondent Chris Vancleeve. Again. At the height of this storm, more than four hundred and fifty flights were impacted at Logan and this morning it looks like pretty much a normal day at least for now. Slightly more than a dozen delays and cancelations on the board. A torched Porsche steals the show at the federal sex trafficking and racketeering trial of Sean Diddy. Comb's fellow rapper, Kid Cutty, testifies that a Molotov cocktail that led his Porsche nine to eleven on fire while he was away from home. He believes as the work of Combs. Kid Cutty real name Scott Misscutty says Holmes threatened to do damage to his car if he did not break up with colmb's longtime girlfriend, Cassie Ventura cut He admits there were no witnesses, and Colmbs denies these charges. Court is closed for the holiday weekend. Testimony in Manhattan is expected to resume on Tuesday. The weather is iffy, but the Boston Calling Music Festival says green light means go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The great Luke Colmbs is how tonight finishes. Megan Marony, Sheryl crow, T Paine and TLC also on the bill. For regulars attending Boston Calling, it just never gets sold you already, Yeah, absolutely, one big thing. You're gonna want to download the Boston Calling app. It'll help you get around the Harvard Athletic Complex, get you to where you want to be. It is very user friendly. I was just here messing around with it, and Boston Calling co founder Mike Snow says, even though it's not exactly feeling like the heat of summer right now in the city, he's proud that this festival has become a summer staple.
Speaker 2: We like to kick off the summer with everybody before everybody kind of leaves right.
Speaker 4: The kids are still in school, colleges, some in, somehow, it's party time. From Boston Calling Drew Mahull and WBZ, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio.