Speaker 1: I am sixty It's later with mo Kelly. I'm live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And the immigrant marches continue. Yesterday I told you all the things that were going wrong, all the things that you weren't doing right, and why this was not going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things. But the marches have continued on, and I think there is an opportunity to help everyone understand why certain marches have worked in the past and why some won't ever work. And it's more than just marching, because because this Day Without Immigrants movement has continued into its third day. In fact, marchers were school students, several hundred from Marshall High School. They marched in the street, some caring signs or a Mexican flag on their way to Alvera Street, where they chanted and held a rally. And I can say, as someone who's a student of the civil rights movement, that is honorable. But if you really want to be an effective protest, if you really want something to come out of your action, something beyond just appearing on TV, beyond being seen on KTLA or k COW and having your thirty seconds of fame where a microphone is being placed in front of your face.
Speaker 2: If you want something beyond that, let me help you out.
Speaker 1: Because we live in an age where we think that protesting is just marching, just walking down the street with a sign and a megaphone and being heard, and then you are doing something. No, you're not really doing a lot. You're making some noise. But why the civil rights movement was successful was far more complicated than just marching. Marching was just one tool. But this is just for anyone who wants to plan a protest, anyone who maybe wants to inspire the government to do something different, wants their grievances to be heard and changed, to actually be made. Please listen to me right now, because I want to give you something which made the modern civil rights movement successful that is not being used today. And if you learn just some of the history, you would be better informed, prepared, and ultimately more successful. Part of the reason why the modern civil rights movement I'm talking about the late nineteen fifties into the late nineteen sixties. Part of the reason why that movement was successful, and it was over about a ten to twelve year period. It wasn't like ten to twelve days, ten to twelve years, depending on when you mark the actual start of the civil rights movement. But if anything, the modern civil rights movement had a clearly defined goal, legislative goal. In other words, they were making sure that all these efforts were pointing toward the passage of the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four and the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 2: That was the goal.
Speaker 1: In other words, the ass what is it you're demanding of government? That's why doctor King was meeting with then President Kennedy. That was the ass That was the whole point of the march on Washington. Okay, Now, what would the methods use to gain leverage? Just because people in power governments are not just going to give you something. The Congress is not just going to sign something because you're out there marching, you have to have some means of leverage. For the civil rights movement, one of those examples was the Montgomery bus boycott of nineteen fifty five, where Rosa Parks, I think, on like February fourth of nineteen fifty five, if I'm not mistaken, decided to not sit at the back of the bus. That was one instance of civil disobedience. But It set off the Montgomery bus boycott, which lasted more than a year and brought the bus company to its knees economically and forced them to address the concerns of black Montgomery residents.
Speaker 2: There was a plan.
Speaker 1: People had to help carpool and they were taking random strangers to work. People did not have transportation because they refused to use any of the bus lines for more than a year. That was the method to gain leverage. And the last part is how committed are you to the fight? And that's a part of the method to gain leverage. Doctor King said, hey, we're not going to use violence. We want to be seen on national TV and seen by the world as not fighting back against the brutality to gain the moral high ground. That was the method and also demonstration of commitment to the fight. How long are you willing to struggle and suffer to retain your leverage and reach hopefully the legislative goal. And let me give you something else out of history, and this is almost like a parable or fable now in civil rights history. You might have heard it before, but from what I'm seeing out on the streets today, people don't know this.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to share it.
Speaker 1: With you back in about I want to say about nineteen forty one, President FDR sat down with a Philip Randolph and he was the head of the brotherhood of Sleeping car porters, the Pullman Porters Association. There's one of the few jobs in which African Americans could actually unionize. A Philip Randolph got a meeting, and I'm really condensing the story, got a meeting with FDR and explain how civil rights advancement was not only good for African Americans but the larger country, and how FDR could and should use his bully pulpit to make it happen. Because remember, World War Two is going on, and you have all these there were issues which were happening in the military. They're going to desegregate the military and have these veterans coming home to an America in which they did not have full rights as citizens. So they're trying to preempt other problems which were going to happen in America. In the event, eventually, world War two it end and FDR, as a story goes, listen to the presentation of a Philip Randolph, and he was moved. He was actually moved, He was convinced and as the story goes, he said something to the fact of you have convinced me I agree with everything you said.
Speaker 2: You were right at everything you said. Now a Philip Randolph, go out and make me do it.
Speaker 1: Go out and make me do it. And that is, then go out and create the social circumstances in which I, as the president, am compelled compelled to make these changes, and then use the bully pulput to encourage or be a molder of consensus and push Congress in the direction to pass the adequate legislation. Mind you, that was like nineteen forty one. That legislation did can't get passed until twenty four years later. But the whole point is it's not a one day thing. And if you're going to create the social environment in which America seems that it has no choice but to change direction regarding immigration reform, that Congress should act and pass some sort of comprehensive immigration so we can stop these raids by ice. It's going to take more than students walking out of class on a given day. It's going to take more than people amassing on the one on one freeway or various freeways around the country and having your voice heard as are often told or being seen on TV, or writing cute signs and getting on social media and hashtagging. You have to be able to demonstrate that there is a specific legislative end and ask for your local congress person to follow up on to put in a bill, to push Republican leadership to bring to the floor to have Congress vote on it, and then create the social circumstances in which a president, any president, this president Donald Trump, to say I have no choice because of my own political insecurity or wanting to make sure that I can maintain the status quo of this situation, that I have to concede to the demands because there's a specific legislative ask if you're out marching today or tomorrow, next week, and you do not have a clearly defined goal, and a clearly defined goal is more than stop.
Speaker 2: The raids, then you're wasting your time. You're out there getting steps on your fitbit.
Speaker 1: If you have not determined a course of action in which you have leverage which forces America to listen to you and take your concerns about immigration reform seriously, you're out there exercising. If you're not committed to this fight assuming that you care about Abuela or Abuela you know, Madre, and I'm not trying to be funny anyone in your family who is impacted by these raids. If you're not committed to at least sees this through the midterms, where you could swing the balance in Congress if you're strategic, and then create an environment where Congress can then put pressure on the president. If you're not willing to work all the way through the midterms, then you're just wasting your time because people in power know that you're going to get tired.
Speaker 2: They're betting on you getting bored.
Speaker 1: They are sure as hell as I'm sitting here that in two weeks you'll have moved on to something else. You haven't heard a peep out of Donald Trump because there's no need for him to address it, because there's social circumstances as such, there is no reason for him to change course. If you want to imitate what happened in the nineteen fifties and sixties with these protests, because that's the model you're using. If you want to imitate that model and also imitate the results it yielded, then you have to take all the lessons of the civil rights movement. You're going to have to find to find that goal in a clear sense. You're going to have to have a clear method to gain leverage, which makes the world. The country, then the state take notice of what you do over a long period of time, not just marching. You have to be committed to it in the way that the modern Civil rights movement people were committed for years. If you don't do all three, you will get nothing. It's Later with Mo Kelly KFI AM six forty We're Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and State Farm like a neighbor, State Farm is there, Except there's gonna be a much more expensive neighbor in the near future.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: With y.
Speaker 1: F We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there. I don't know about you, but my concept of a good namelabor when it comes to home ownership is someone who will look out for my house when I'm not there. I think of a good neighbor as someone who I don't need to worry about. They're not going to break into my house, and they will look out for my house, especially if if I'm not home, if my pets get out, they'll give me a call or do something, make sure my pets get put back in the backyard. That to me is what a good neighbor does. That is how State Farm bills itself, no pun intended. State Farm General is California's largest insurance provider, and did you know State Farm has requested an emergency interim rate rate hike averaging twenty two percent for each and every homeowner twenty two percent averaging in other words, it could be twenty one twenty percent for some and twenty three, twenty four, twenty five percent for others. We're talking about, in average, twenty two cents more on every dollar of your premium. In a letter to California's Commissioner of Insurance, Ricardo Lara, State Farm said it has already received more than eighty seven hundred claims and paid over a billion dollars to customers in the wake of the wildfires.
Speaker 2: First, I don't believe that. I don't believe that's truthful.
Speaker 1: Why because they have been accused of not paying off claims, They've been accused of dropping people and their policies. So if they say, excuse me, Mark Ronner, this might be a little cumbersome phrase.
Speaker 2: It strange credulity.
Speaker 4: You know, there might be some minor flaw inherent in a business model that requires not paying people out for success, and something about it that just doesn't sit right with me.
Speaker 1: And I think it's a reasonable assumption. Since wildfires don't happen every day.
Speaker 2: For the I would say most of the.
Speaker 1: Time they are receiving premium payments, not paying out for the most part. And also, if you listen to this show yesterday, I was speaking to Jackie Ray and I highlighted them how State Farm's advertising budget. That's why I keep saying, like a good neighbor, State Farm is there, like a good neighbor, we want more cash. And they spent a billion dollars fiscal year twenty twenty four on just those commercials and ads that we've all seen and know.
Speaker 2: The ad budget.
Speaker 1: Alone, from what we know publicly, can make Southern Californians whole.
Speaker 4: Well, next thing, you're gonna have the nerve to suggest that our healthcare system is whack too.
Speaker 1: There is a connection when you talk about insurance premiums it's the same.
Speaker 5: Dare I say, should they call it the scam racket? Perhaps scam racket scheme synonyms tomato tomato, potato fall, the same.
Speaker 1: California homeowners, we know this. We already faced some of the highest insurance premiums in the country, and insurers have deemed California a risk because of wildfires.
Speaker 2: According to the company State Farms.
Speaker 1: Generals, surplus available to pay out claims has been depleted, in part due to claims paid out as a result of natural disasters. Wait a minute, wait, wait, Assuming State Farm Generals telling the truth, and I don't believe them, but for the sake of argument and radio commentary, let's say they're telling the truth. They're saying that they had been depleted prior to these fires.
Speaker 4: It wasn't depleted enough to stop them from paying their CEO twenty four and a half million a year.
Speaker 1: It wasn't depleted enough for them to spend again one billion dollars in the past year on commercials. Don't get me wrong, I really did like the commercial let's have billion dollars get you there. I mean that that would be involving tattooing the insides of your eyelids A billion dollars. A billion dollars just on advertisements alone.
Speaker 2: Commercials.
Speaker 4: Are they carving something into the moon's surface?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They are funny.
Speaker 1: Whoever, the ad agency is getting paid out the ass okay a billion dollars because they only probably have one ad agency. They probably have different market campaigns, but it's a billion dollars. If for example, and just for argument's sake, State Farm said, you know what, we are so committed and such a good neighbor to use their phraseology that we're going to not advertise for the next year to make sure that all Southern Californians are made whole. We're going to use that billion dollars that we would have spent on advertising because they spend it every year.
Speaker 2: It's not like that broke.
Speaker 1: They have that money to spend every year, which means they have it for twenty twenty five. Maybe they have to do some funny accounting and move some of the advertising budget over to the people budget, to the insurance side, and say we're going to spend this billion dollars in twenty twenty five on the people of Southern California because they are more important than commercials, and if anything we think as a business model that we're to mouth advertising would mean more than any commercial with Oh my gosh, Pat Mahomes or Andy Reid or the actor Kevin Miles who plays Jake. I think people would appreciate that and would speak of the goodwill and the good neighbor policy behavior of State Farm in a way that no commercial could. And so that's why we're going to move a billion dollars of our ad budget to the people of southern California.
Speaker 4: It's almost as if you're suggesting that an actual good neighbor wouldn't clean you out when the chips are down.
Speaker 2: And also leave.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, you know, an actual good neighbor would say, hey, you know there's a there's a disaster coming, but I got you Okay, I'm going to hose down your house.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure that your house is as safe as possible.
Speaker 4: You're getting hosed, alrighty, oh yes, you're getting thoroughly hosed, and.
Speaker 1: They're going to charge you twenty two percent more for that same hose. It's later with mo Kelly if I am six forty one five everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and some things should be just like.
Speaker 2: Duh, right, just like common sense.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, if you're going to talk about baby changing stations and public restrooms, it shouldn't be a controversy for the city to add more baby changing stations and public restrooms.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: There's no opposition to that, right, right, we'll find out.
Speaker 3: You're listening to later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI Am six forty And I asked.
Speaker 1: The question before the break this there's not like two sides to this. There's no opposition to this.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: LA's trying to add more baby changing stations in public restrooms.
Speaker 2: Can we like touching degree? Have ever been to church? Touch a degree? And then you have some statement where everyone just agrees.
Speaker 1: Can we just just agree that this is good, good for La?
Speaker 2: You've never had children?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, But I'm saying that this is good and I want you to verify this or disagree with me.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 1: Ok La City Council approved the motion last Friday calling for more baby changing stations than city owned bathrooms and to explore requiring businesses open to the public to do the same.
Speaker 2: Twelve zero vote.
Speaker 1: There was no opposition on city council and they're going to conduct a feasibility just report about the cost of installing more baby changing stations for infants and toddlers. They're going to consider adding such stations to bathrooms located at recreation centers, parks, libraries, and transit hubs. Also examine whether they can update building codes for restaurants, shopping centers, and entertainment venues.
Speaker 2: Yeada yah, yahah blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes. The amount of times that I have seen fathers with infants yep.
Speaker 1: And they go into the men's bathroom as they should in this twenty first century where men shouldn't be going to nah, And I know that there's no baby changing station in that men's bathroom more times than not.
Speaker 6: That has to be a burden on that father. It is a humongous burden. You know what else is a burden the fact that rules be damned because all these venues, movie theaters and all the like are supposed to keep their bathrooms up to snuff. But you know what, I walk into it. I walk into our AMC. I walk into a bathroom that has urine near the floor where the baby changing station is to begin with. Businesses and parks do not keep their bathrooms clean enough for you to be installing more tables for infants. You're supposed to keep infants clean and wholesome and away from.
Speaker 2: Pissing all that all over.
Speaker 4: No, that's a no.
Speaker 2: That's a no.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So you're more against the idea of a bathroom which is just unclear if they clean excuse me, if they clean the bathrooms as they should.
Speaker 2: You walk you mentioned AMC. I'll just say a movie theater. I'm not trying to bust them out.
Speaker 1: You walk into a movie theater and you see on the backside of the door that's usually that list of the times that the bathroom was supposedly clean.
Speaker 2: You know, Arthur came in at four point.
Speaker 1: Thirty and John came in at five thirty, and you can see this toilet paper and feces everywhere. It's like, no one's cleaning this bathroom. I think that is a related but separate issue. If that movie theater is not cleaning its bathroom, I don't know if that's an argument against having the basic facilities available. It's almost like that we're not going to have urinals in there because people will get urine everywhere.
Speaker 6: It's a bathroom you provide the facility. But you know what they started doing. They said, let's just have a trough so that we can avoid it.
Speaker 2: Oh, they don't do that anymore. They've gone the other direction.
Speaker 1: They have they have flushless ur urinals where they doesn't have water.
Speaker 6: It just hits the hits the ground. Yeah, yes, I got you. What I'm saying is when my children were young, I would not let them go into a park, much less me go in there. And I don't care if I see the sanitation crew coming out and cleaning it right then and there. This is a waste of taxpayer money. How do I know? Because no one is going to use this. If you're trying to do something, then maybe make or increase the number of family only restrooms. You can do that, But you cannot put baby changing stations in bathrooms that are used by everybody. You just can't. You just can't. That is a waste of our taxpayer dollars. If they do that, just make some more family only restrooms. Do that, and then maybe.
Speaker 2: Well that's Steeve's like an added expense.
Speaker 1: Regardless you're saying, not only are we not going to put this in the restrooms, exist we have to then create a family only restroom in a Starbucks, in a grocery.
Speaker 2: Store, or what have you.
Speaker 6: Please show me a park, a business, Show me one, Show me one where the baby changing station is adequately up to part because there are plenty, plenty of businesses, plenty of supermarkets, plenty of every place that has them. They're all over the place now and none of them are kept up. I get that we wanted, but saying that this is some big initiative, this is just a lot of pomp and circumstance.
Speaker 2: You're saying that you are the opposition.
Speaker 1: We can't even agree on baby changing stations. He's for Waymo and against baby changing stations.
Speaker 2: What the hell is going on with this country.
Speaker 4: I just assumed Tola would be in the pocket of big baby change.
Speaker 2: I thought that he would be on the side of yes.
Speaker 1: Make it easier for me as a father, because I struggled when I had my young daughter as an infant and I had no place to change her when I was going to I don't know.
Speaker 6: Denny's, when I went anywhere. You know what I carry with me in my diaper bag a mobile changing station. They even had a little stand and you pull out the mat on it, all of that, so I could keep her elevated and away from the scum of the counters and the villainy of the changing table. Those things are horrific. When you walk in there as a parent and you smell the smell and you see that table sitting over there, right next to the stalls, it's not I.
Speaker 1: Did not say put your child on the actual baby changing put down some towels a plate.
Speaker 6: You know, they oftentimes they don't even really have that. These chaining tables have graffiti on them, lots of times they're broken. So I hear you, I hear you. We want this to happen, and I'm sure this is.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, because I went into a place and I couldn't change my baby.
Speaker 4: And now I'm.
Speaker 6: Bringing into legislation. You are wasting our time, that's what you are doing with this.
Speaker 1: Why don't we just take out bathrooms all together, Just have everyone of the holds no, no, no, start digging some holes, go back to outhouses, take a step back to the scouts.
Speaker 6: Bury it deep so the bears don't get it. Have you ever used an outhouse?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 4: They're terrified. Don't you don't want that? No?
Speaker 6: No, no, because outhouses are literally right on par with the damn.
Speaker 1: Port is better than an outhouse, I promise you it's a mobile outhouse.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 6: I guess all I'm saying is, I don't care if it's a wood toilet seed and this, that or the other in your outhouse, a porta potty. All types of ungodliness happens in porta potti's. Why are there needles in the bottom of the damn porta potty?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Look, my father, God rest his soul, grew up in Lynchburg, Virginia, Deep South projects poor. His family had an outhouse going out to visit him. Growing up. His family was still very poor. He my father was the quote unquote richest person in his Familyaily California middle class. When we go visit his side of the family in the summer, we would use the outhouse on occasion. There is nothing scarier than using an outhouse in the woods of Lynchburg, Virginia at night. You got fireflies, you got mosquitoes, you got the ku Klux Klan, anything could bite you. It's called Lynchburg for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: No, I would have much rather used a porta potty.
Speaker 2: You don't want that.
Speaker 1: I can't speak to a baby changing station table. I can speak to an outhouse. Give me a porter potty seven days a week, twice on Tuesday, five times on Friday than because I'm very regular.
Speaker 6: Now I'm trying to think maybe in summer camp, I had to go out to the Yeah, because in the summer camp, I remember they had like little wooden almost like it looked like little phone boosts. I had little seats to them. Yeah, but the seats where at least plastic. It was still a bigger wood door. You go, you open them door, but there's a toilet seat. They had to know. The outhouse is a hole.
Speaker 1: It's a hole and you sit down on this wooden like bench and it was small enough where they could move it every week or so and they fill in the hole like yeah, okay, okay, So that's what they had the summer camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, but no baby changing station. That's where you draw the line. Looked I was summer camping. I was uh traumatized after that. But baby changing I think that this is just something to get on later with the mo kelly. But it's definitely not something worth investing any time.
Speaker 1: Only. We can't agree on anything in this country. Baby changing stations are now controversial. Now it's about where are my tax dollars going. I'm not going to use my tax dollars for a baby changing station. Them kids. Put those kids to work. KFIM six forty we're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio. I am so disappointed in Twila Sharp. I thought he was going to come in here and actually back me up on this and say, yes, this is what fathers and young mothers need. They should not have to worry about where they're going to change their baby when they're out.
Speaker 2: Instead, so disappointed.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the lottery when we come back, and if you want to talk about waste of money, California Lottery has raised two billion dollars for schools for the third straight year, and for the third straight year, our schools are still trash.
Speaker 2: What is going on? What is going on?
Speaker 3: You're listening to later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Time to go to school. Let's talk about public school.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember when it was first broach the idea that California was going to have a lottery and that lottery was going to help support public schools. I remember it because I was in high school South Torn's High School. This was nineteen eighty five, so depending on when in the year, I was, maybe a sophomore in high school. My parents both public education teachers for all the career. They thought it was going to be a great idea. You would think on paper, when you have people basically participating in a legalized form of gambling to the tune of millions and eventually billions, and that would be discretionary for schools to add to their budget. That California's educational system, the public educational system back in eighty five, thought that that was going to be the magic pill to improve our public schools. In twenty twenty four, California ranked fortieth in education public school education fortieth, only ten states worse, probably Mississippi, Louisiana and five other states down south.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding. That's what it usually turns out to be.
Speaker 1: But California, with a lottery and billions for schools, is still in the bottom third. California lottery officials announced Monday that the lotto games have raised over two billion dollars for public education for the third year in a row. Quote, total sales once again exceeded nine billion, resulting in contributions of more than two point two eight seven billion for public education programs statewide, from kindergarten to the community college, California State University, and University of California systems. This is according to lottery officials. Quote, I want to thank our players, retail partners, and employees for their decades long commitment to our mission. That's California Lottery Director Hargener k srgil Chima long ass name. It is that commitment to providing supplemental funding to California public education that sustains our work across the state and allows us to perform year after year for all of California.
Speaker 2: Close.
Speaker 1: Well, I am not blaming the lottery. They are providing the funds. I am blaming the State of California educational system. If the State of California had zero money for all of its schools, I'm quite sure two billion plus might be able to do it. You definitely wouldn't have everything. I'm not that naive, But two plus billion dollars and we're.
Speaker 2: Still in the bottom third.
Speaker 1: We've raised more than two billion dollars for the past three years and we're still in the bottom third. And I say, this is probably the biggest proponent of education you'll ever meet. I am all about education, all about it bottom third, and it's not getting any better. It's not like we just now ended up in the bottom third. Oh maybe a year or two ago. I talk about this every single year, and ever since I been on KFI, we have been in the bottom third. And ever since I've been on KFI, in twenty seven years before that, we had the California lottery. So what does that mean. It means that it's not a money issue. It's not a lack of funds. It is obviously how they're being used or not being used, how our students are not being adequately educated. Because clearly it's not a facilities issue.
Speaker 2: It's not a books issue.
Speaker 1: I know, depending on certain schools, some schools have more than others. I get all that, but big picture, collectively, California is not educating as kids and it's not because of lack of resources. It's not that I'm not saying that someone must be stealing money. I am saying we're not utilizing the money in a fashion which is actually educating our kids, because if there were, we would not be fortieth out of fifty. Because the other forty nine states don't have two point three billion dollars on average annually to supplement their educational budget, it doesn't make any sense. K IF I am six forty We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. KFI is literally the Kfi of talk radio.
Speaker 2: Ks I'm KOST HD two
Speaker 1: Los Angeles, Orange County, Live everywhere on the radio app